Speaker 1: Family. Welcome into the Next Man Up. We have some fun for y'all. This week is always Mike Sanders still pulls up and talks about his battle against the Cleveland Browns and getting in Deshaun's Watson's face for a little bit. Then we have a great Washington legend for you. Alfred Morris joins the show to talk about the best running backs in his opinion, that has ever played for Washington and what it was like when he played in the Battle of the Beltway against the Baltimore Races. All that in more right now, next man up, the man is family. For our next man up, we have somebody extremely special straight out of Michigan. Our second round pick, our rookie. He's already naked waves in the league. Mike Santa said, brother, how you doing, Man doing? Man?
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 1: Man? I'm blessed to be here. Man, thank you for being here, because man, it's been a minute. As we talked, it was a rookie. Wee just dude came in. Then you the eyes wild open and a lot has happened since we last spoke. Man. First thing most important your daughter, man, the birth of your daughter. You're a girl. Dad. Now Man, how has that changed your life? Man?
Speaker 2: Just understanding that, like everything I'm doing now is no longer for myself, no longer for my partner, no longer, you know, like we are now doing everything we're doing for somebody else, like we're taking care of another being. And just you know, understanding that every day I wake up makes me want to go even harder for my family, you know what I mean. So like, shoot, I have a family now.
Speaker 1: You know that's beautiful to here, man, because you're already a motivated god to even get to this point in life. You're very motivated. But I know when I had my son, my first child, that motivation level just went to a whole nother space. Have you noticed being a dad affecting you on the field yet? Have you noticed like a change.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've noticed it, like in the sense of like what I'm doing. I think just the urgency I have. How are prepared now? I do notice that different friends, But like I you know, I go out there and I just play at the end of the day. But I do know in the back of my head, like I want to do everything I'm doing right now to you know, make my baby proud. So maybe a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's interesting the journey because you're becoming a new dad, but you're also an NFL player, two different things, I'm sure both things you've dreamt before. A quarter the way through the season already, man, a quarter of the way. What has surprised you so far in your rookie season?
Speaker 2: Anything? How fast it went? Yeah, Like like you just said, like square a quarter of the way in already, and I feel like I literally just got out, like I remember our first conversation together. But like, at the end of the day, it's the same game. You know, It's the same game I've been playing since I was a little kid, except now it was just with older men compared to college kids compared to high school kids and youth kids. You know what I'm saying. But just I think the biggest thing for me is how fast it has been going. Like and they say your rookie year is your fastest year and your longest in the sense like everything just you go from college to combine prep to draft to mini camp OTAs season starts, like the amount of things that just come at you so fast, but the duration of it is so long. From your last college football game to whenever your last NFL game is.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, Well, everybody that talks about you, he says, this kid acts like he's been here before. He doesn't carry himself like a rookie, he doesn't play like a rookie, doesn't prepare like a rookie. What made you ready for this moment to where you're getting that kind of prey soon as you walking through the door.
Speaker 2: I think just understanding, Like if I wasn't, you know, supposed to be here, I wouldn't be, you know what I mean, So like just understanding, like I'm here for a reason. They wanted guys like myself, Jaden Benson and Luke McCaffrey, you know, everyone that they drafted. They wanted us here so be present in the moment. And I don't think anyone in our class is immature, and the rookie class that is. I think they drafted a whole bunch of guys who carry that level of maturity and can prepare like veterans, you know what I mean. Like, I don't think any rookie on this current team acts like a rookie. And I think, you know, that's very big to hear from vets in the on the team, like you know guys like Bobby Wagner, you know, Marcus Mario, the guys who have been in it for a long time, zach Ertz and maybe we can go down our roster and name guys who've been in it. But like just being around those guys, seeing how they prepare, and we can just take notes like, look, those guys are where they are for a reason. Why not follow what they're doing?
Speaker 1: And that's so much easier said than done though, right, because like there has to be moments where imposterson drop kicks in, whether you're on that field, whether you're surrounded by future Hall of famers like Bobby Wagner. Have you had that moment where imposters drop kicks in and you have to remind yourself like, hey man, I belong kid.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely. I've caught myself a few times like like shoot Bobby himself, like that's he's a Hall of Famer, you know what I'm saying This times like and I think it's not necessarily impostera syndrome, but kind of like a level of appreciation where it's like like I get to play with Bobby Wagner, you know what I'm saying, Like he's going to be in the Hall of Fame one day, and just understanding that. It's like, like, that's very cool to say, you know what I'm saying, Like I've watched Bobby playing when I was fourteen fifteen, and wow, you know, Bobby's been in it for a long time. But now I'm sharing the field with him. I'm a part of the same defense as him. That's so much experience, that's so much knowledge, so much wisdom from one person that I could gain. And it's really cool, Like I said, and you've.
Speaker 1: Gained not only the confidence of players like Bobby Wagner and the players on your defense, but you gained the confidence of the coaches very quickly. Yes, you were a second round pick, but nothing's promised, right, especially not a starting spot. You come in, you win that starting job. Dan Quinn, that confidence that he has in you, Man, what does that mean to you? And how has that affected you? While you try to get comfortable in this new life.
Speaker 2: I'm just you know, wanting to make my co right. What he believes in me, what you know, his expectations of me are just going in stamping that like you know, I have high expectations for myself. I know what the coachest expectations are, so going and meeting those expectations and just proving them right. You know, they drafted me in the second round, and like I want to prove to myself, like yes, I was drafting the second round. I believe I could have been drafted higher. I want to go out there and put that on the field.
Speaker 1: And you've been doing it so far. Man, you have made some splashes. And I remember last game you meet Deshaun Watson on the sideline, you have a little little scuffle you. I was very surprising that because you're just such a chill do You're such a calm dude. But when you're on that field, something clicks. Man, Can you talk to us about that moment a little bit, because you will rookie that this is a guy again. You've probably been watching that you as a teenager. What was that moment like for you?
Speaker 2: Just just you know, when you step on that field, you got to turn it on. You know what I'm saying, Like whatever your alter ego is, whatever, you know what I'm saying, just you step on that field, it's you and your guys were stamping there, guys, and you know, I'm put everything I got on the line from my guys every single time.
Speaker 1: And that moment is so special to me because I think it encompasses what this team is because as soon as you do that, the entire defense comes over there. They have your back, they stand with you. Talk about that camaraderie y'all been able to build because it's not just rookies. Got a new coaching staff, you got all these new pieces together, but you guys have seemed to mess so well. How does that possible?
Speaker 2: I think it's just well even building an offseason, that brotherhood, that bond, that togetherness, just you know, being able to come together as one unit and play for each other. You know, we're a unit that we love each other, and you know we want to go out there play for our coaches, but we're we're on that field, you know, as a defense. We have each other's backs. At the end of the day.
Speaker 1: We can't wait to see you guys out there in Baltimore. It's a battle, little belt whigh, your first one going up against a dog and Lamar Jackson. But the fans, they travel, they've shown it now. They right up the Street. Give a message to the fans before you go on while they need to show up in Baltimore and turn.
Speaker 2: Up for y'all. I mean, I would say we felt. You know, our fans support all Sea and long. Why stop. Now, let's keep this thing going, you know, come to Baltimore, be loud, and you know, let's get this thing done.
Speaker 1: And Mike, appreciate your time as always. Man, congratulations all your success. Congratulations on being a father. Burn. We appreciate you pulling up for us.
Speaker 2: Man, appreciate you, sir.
Speaker 1: The man is family. For our next man up, we had to bring in a legend, in my opinion, one of the best rookies to ever play in the And if you had one of the best rookie seasons I have ever seen. Sixth round pick out of Florida Atlantic holds a few records, especially as a rookie for Washington. Let me welcome in the next man up, Alfred Morris.
Speaker 3: Brother, how you doing, Man, I'm good, I'm good, Man, glad to be here. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Man, oh man, we are so happy to have you. And as I mentioned, Man, that rookie year, I think that was what I was most excited to talk to you about Like it's always cool to talk to these legends about the whole years. But like I even going back when I was doing my research and looking at those numbers from your rookie season, man, you just don't see nothing like that. And you were sixth round pick. So let's start from the beginny Man, sixth round pick, you were named a starter. You didn't even play the final preseason game, which again is crazy for a six ro out running back. Did you know you were going to be the starter at that point?
Speaker 3: I had a great idea by the time they I sat the last game and I was like, oh, man, I think I knew I was gonna make the team. But then I like doing week one, I kind of got the like, hey, you're going to start, and I was like, oh shoot, I'm about to start. Like I'm about to be the start in the NFL. Like that's crazy. I would have never I never dreamed that would happen. I knew I wanted to be a start. I dreamed that, but so early I thought I was gonna to sit behind them, you know, one of the vets and kind of like aring my strikes and you know, kind of build some before and then I get, you know, my shot and not make the most of it. U you know, one of those things you can't get ready when the shot when it's time to come, when it comes, you gotta be ready before it comes. So uh but yeah, it kind of that happened in preseason for me. Really, A couple of guys was like nicked up, nothing made. It's just like ankle injuries. And they gave me that football and I was like, okay, I ain't getting this back, you know, I did that. That was the second game. That's when we played the Bears, because then would be Bills, Bears and then Colts if I remember correctly, it's been a while. But and I had opportunity, you know, to do dress rehearsal. You know, usually the dress versus was a third game starters play, you know, two three quarters and you know halftime. I had like like one hundred fifty yards something like that, you know, like and at period I was like, oh, yeah, they ain't getting this back. I'm sorry. But and then that it is politics to play in that too, it's got to be real. But yeah, so it was just like I didn't expect it to happen so fast. But I'm not. I'm not upset that it happened at that.
Speaker 1: You mentioned all the politics and just being a later round guy and nothing is promised. So what what was the motivation for you when you're coming into training camp? Because it has to be a very motivated guy. Also, you're not getting a ton of opportunities. How did you make the most involve was opportunities and what motivated you through that time?
Speaker 3: Well, kind of like what I said before about having been prepared before the opportunity. So I remember one of our family friends when I was going from high school to college and one of the things he's said and stuck with me for me still now. He's like he's like, it doesn't matter where you go. He's like, if you have the talent, they'll find you. So I always kept in the back of my day, if you have the talent and they'll find out. Was like, I know, I got the talent. So I went to Florida Land and it's bigger now than when I was there, and I'm thankful. I loved my school and I'm not salty. I love that they're growing and it's booming, and like they're getting better recruits and they're getting better uniforms and all this stuff. I'm like, man, I love that. So but going into the pros, it's kind of had the same mindset. If I can look myself in the mirror at the end of the day and know I gave you my all, I can sleep at night. You know, I can hang my hat no matter what happens when I'm cut, whether i'm you know, whether I put on practice or whatever, I'll come. It's like, if I can give each day my all, then I know that, like I can sleep at night and be happy at peace, and like I gave you everything I had and this was outcome and that's okay, you know. So that's my mindset going in. And I just kind of kept swinging, kept dropping wood, and it's, like I said, it shook out much quicker than I thought it would.
Speaker 1: Clearly, it was a good decision to name you the start of Man, because what a rookie season you had. I want to fast forward a little bit to that final rookie game because Man, two hundred plus rushing yards, three rushing touchdowns. Now, that game allowed you to break some pretty significant records. So I got to ask, did you know those records were on the line, or was like was that motivation for you on that game, Like did you have stuff that you had to prove or was it just one of those days where just everything was clicking and working right.
Speaker 3: I think everything was just clicking. I never paid too much of stats and records, and like, I know my stats now because you do kind of enough stuff and they want you to put a stats you kind of like I remember, like, oh yeah, it's like sixteen one six and thirteen yards, thirteen touchdowns. You know, like I can't remember the carries and it's been way too long. But it's just kind of like when people is repeated over and over, you're like, oh, that's that's what I did. But I never paid anch of records. I'm thankful I have a record and it's still standing, but I know I didn't. I just was was business as usual. I was like, I'm gonna do the best I can, and man it was it was a fun game. And like cause I was like, it's funny because I don't know, uh the real uh D why I remember this the real young I full back. I remember for the game, or maybe it's after the game. I like wrote down on a piece of paper. I just felt that. I was like, I put two and a plus yards three touchdowns. I don't know. I just feel like I was supposed to write that down and I didn't. After game, I was like, hey, do I look at this. I wrote this in the hotel room. It was like a gay little hotel, a little notepath thing, and I was like, look at this. But taking that, I did have two hundre plus yards, but I had a couple of negative runs, so it kind of put me back at two hundred. But I was like, that's crazy, man, that is wild.
Speaker 1: Did you continue to write things down moving onto your career, Like was that kind of like a little little trick you learned?
Speaker 3: No, No, it's just it just happened. It was one and done. It's just kind of really felt like I was like, man, I'm gonna run plush for two in yards and do touchdown. It was just like a knowing and so I was like, I'm gonna write that now so I can remember that. So and it happened. It was just crazy. I mean I wrote some other stuff now and that didn't happen. But ye, for sure, what was gonna happen?
Speaker 1: You know, but I mean, what a rookie year it was, and you got to come in with an RG three, a very mobile quarterback, a guy that's able to run much like are running backs right now playing with Jayden Daniels. Can you give your perspective on what it was like playing with the mobile quarterback and the benefits you received from playing next to a guy like RG three one.
Speaker 3: It was fun, It was a crazy ride, and both had really good rookie years honestly, and then but just having a mobile quarterback and then having a ball here that can run really well, especially in that system, it kind of it helped both of us out. It kind of like when he was doing those long rides, it's like it's draw more attention, it's keeping those those linebackers they have to take that step up. They have to respect that, like, hey, we're gonna stuff it down your throw, but that opens up those those passing windows so he can dump the ball off over their heads. And it's like it opened up big games like Pierre Garson or you know, Josh and those guys. So it's just like it was help for them, but also for me because they had to respect his boot legs and stuff. So like if he was like hands off and do a favor, they had to respect that he could run the ball, and then he was a threat eating on the run with his legs or with his arm. So it kind of took an ie or two off of me that had to hesitate to make sure, you know, and then it was like gave me that like it's a game of inches and just milliseconds, it really is, and likes a hole is there and then it's gone. So like just those eyes just slightly staying off me was able to help me find like have more time to hit holes and do things like that. So I think it played. It played to both our advantage, like they're both us has been successful when both were becoming threats. So which made even fun more fun against twenty is in the words.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you ended like that though, because yes, he helps you out, but man half of the rookie running back, like you had to have helped him so much. And again you broke the single season rushing yards for Washington at the time, you have the rookie record for touchdowns. I think you're at that time you were like the fourth person to ever rush for over sixteen hundred yards as a running baby, which leaves you in very, very small company as well. So I have to ask you, because again you said you weren't really noticing at the time, but now you're at all these events, you're signing autrogress, you're hearing about all of these things, and we've seen this game progress. Are you one of the best rookie running backs ever?
Speaker 3: I've aly never thought about that, but statistically speaking, yeah, I think the only there's three of us. I was the second rookie to across sixty on the yard Eric Dickerous, if I remember correctly, it was the first. He was like eighteen hundred, which is ridiculous, and that was a whole nother era, so that's even more ridiculous. So so I can't say I'm like the best because that's hard to top. And then I think Zeke did it in sixteen. I think it was his rookie year. So I also argue that he had a bed old line, like overall, I love my old line. It's not just them, but overall he had like they had a numre o line, you know, like graded that way. So I was like, I think it was easy for you to do that and it was me so but I think top three, like statistically speaking, and just like how fun it was. I'm like I would say, yeah, the better, you know, let me stop. Yeah, one of the best. We stopped trying to down Fleet. I'm one of the best running backs. I never thought about it. But that's man, that's yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stick your chests out on that. Man. You deserve to have that because again, you earned it, right, It's not like we speculating these numbers and records exist, Like that's not something that we made up, man, and you earned that. So oh head, I like it, man, flex a little bit on And it's funny though you mentioned Zeke in that offensive line because you got to actually be there, fat you got to play behind that officeive line either. And with being having such a great start in Washington, right, Like you know that NFC East rivalry is a real thing.
Speaker 4: Like they really hate the Cowboys here, they really hate the Eagles here, you know, So what went into that decision making a go sign with the Dallas Cowboys and see your former team twice a year?
Speaker 3: And it's funny because like they it was like one team I didn't want to play for play for them, but it's just that's how it that's how it happened. And like I still there's still honesty question, like what happened to me exiting out of you know, Washington, which was hard, but because like I gave so much, you know, for four years, I gave it my all, like not only on the field, but off the field as well. I did every community service event.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't say this to two my arm but I was just like I was immersed into the community. I was immerged. I was like like I'm all in for this team and then for me to be exited out and now they offered me a contract, uh. And of course I was like, well, let's let's know, like you, I'm worth more than that, you know, like just statistically along, I'm working more than that. So I kind of turned it down. But I know it's a game. So I thought like, okay, they're gonna come back. And they never they never offered me like like I guess, like like a rebuttal I guess to me saying no, they I just started my play start getting effective. But that's whole nother story. So I ended up I don't I also, I actually thought I was gonna end up in with Broncos, which is a whole nother AFC, you know, so I'm like, oh shoot, you know, like all right, let's go h But that didn't work out, and then just how to cookie crumbled. They ended up landing in Dallas, and I didn't want to sign. I was mad when I signed. You know, I'm thankful on the hind side my career will continue, but the same time, I was mad, Like in the hotel talk with my agent, I'm like, this is bullcrap. This contract bull crap, you know, Like I'm like, I'm better than this. I got worth more than this, and but you know, like I wanted to be obedient, so I was like, I feel like the ward told me to do it, and I was like, all right, fine, I'm gonna do it, but I'm not gonna like it. So that's how I ended up over there, honestly, like it was the last team I wanted to play for, and uh yeah, and that's how it worked out.
Speaker 1: So wow, that is actually wild to think about. So you played for a couple of teams after Dallas as well, But would you say that the Commanders like Washington that's your home like it would you feel like this is still like your home. Like when people think Alfred Morris, do they think Washington.
Speaker 3: Oh, without a doubt, Like I did the same thing. I'm like, that's that's that's why I started at I mean, that's why I wanted to. I would love to in you know, some some day sometime, you know, maybe do like some of the other guys do, do a one day contract. But uh, you know, we'll work on that later down the road. But all right now is just yeah, like I when people think of me, they're always like, oh, man, he's a killer. They always they never say a mandage. They always see the other name. Yeah, yeah, you know, I still got a bunch of gear in my attic and out in my closet. So but I was like, you know, I respect that they're gonna put it out, but it's okay, but yeah, I'm washing them through and through.
Speaker 1: Well I'll tell you what, man, And that's why I like being able to talk to you guys, legends, because like we don't want the fans to think we're trying to erase anything. Because you wore a redskin. You played man, you wore that helmet, and that's why We like having you guys on the talk because, like we want to honor that history. That history doesn't go anywhere. You're a big part of that. So Meg, like, man, we're just so happy to have you in the phone. It's crazy because a lot of guys are starting to come back around and starting to show their faces again. Like there was a time where a lot of Washington legend have kind of just removed themselves. I don't know if it was the name change, I don't know what it was, but it's great to have you guys back. So my favorite question to ask y'all legends, and this might be a tough one, what was your favorite memory playing for Washington?
Speaker 3: Oh? Shoot, that is a tough one. I mean the season overall, I would say it was a it was a moment, uh I think we played uh man, it's just hard. But I can think of other ones. But this first one came out something to go with that one. But when we played New York the Giants, and it was I think pretty sure it was Monday night football. I think we ended up winning sixteen seventeen. But I was running on the left sideline and somehow, I like I think my shoulders missed up, but like the way I landed, the ball came out my hand. It was fun. I tried to get it back but like I did and then they recovered it. And I'm a young rookie guy, like were like partials through the season, you know, and they didn't. But my coaches didn't give up on it. Didn't be like man put them on a bench like he's out of here, you know. They like they they we got the defense, got the ball back, and they gave put the ball in my hands to steal the game, you know, like they were run this clock on it. That's one of my favorite pittus. I had that actually on like a canvas. But it's like me, I broke the over, get the first down. I'm like, oh and I just yelling like this big moment is just like like because I was like they believe me. I believe in myself, Like we just stealed this game. That's the w And it was just like this and I have to find I'll take it to you. But if I can find, it's probably an addic somewhere now because we moved again and so I didn't unpack the text to me. Yeah yeah, but yeah, yeah, so I have to find out when that was always one of my favorite pieces of just that moment and just in Washington and so but yeah, man, the time, it's.
Speaker 1: So great to do those walk down memory lanes, and you could tell when you guys talk about those moments, like even if you don't mention it, I know how involved the fans were at that time and how much of an impact they've made on you guys, because again, you've played for different teams, but there's a reason why all the guys seem to come back to the Burgundy and Gold and show love there. Can you just talk about this fan base a little bit and the love you've gotten, not just why you were playing, but since you've been gone as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think one of the best words I heard to describe the fan base as electrifying, especially that rookie years Trallen is just like, man, there's no atmosphere like you know, like like it wasn't washing the man Fedix Field it was. They're just different. I mean like even like I used to hang out in the stadium, that's my stadium family, you know. I used to always go out and kick it with them. So it's just like this like family atmosphere that you just don't get anywhere else. And it's like, you know, these people, they bleed it and they're like they're about that, like no matter what you do. That's why I love Even since being going and going and playing with the enemy, I still get love. You know, I got some booze and stuff like that, but I get the people fully understand the business side of this, like how the game works. Like if I, if it had my way, I would have been in Washington for my entire career. That's what I wanted, you know, But that's not what That's not how I played out for me. And that's okay because I still get a lot of love from the fans. I still get a lot of I still have love for the fans. And it was just one of those faces. It was special, Like I like I said, I had four other stops, but none of them felt like family. None of them felt like electrifying, like like it was I forget who said that. I think when we played the U when we played that Minnesota Vikings game, and it's the crowd was like like when Robert took off and like scare that touchdown game winner, Like the crowd went stupid, and I was just like, got these goosebo I get right now? Just think, man, this is this is it. This is the big leagues man. So but yeah, man, I think this fan base is really special and I'm glad they're still riding out through MultiMate name changes, through you know, coach changers, through player change all this. They're like there's still the conscience. So it's like they're always going to be there and I love that. And these people are like, man, my parents are at like yeah, seen tickets since the sixties or whatever it is. They have these crazy like dates but it's just like man, that's crazy. Like they like literally pass them down in the family, like it's like this is a family heiringroom, Like you get these in inheritance, you know, so, which is like super crazy and I love that. Man. So this fan base, ever, I ain't bias.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I don't think that's a better person to talk about that type of energy because now we're looking at the energy shift again. Now we're looking at the energy probably higher than it's ever been, higher than it's been since you played, like the last time you were playing, when you and RGI three were doing, you guys, just thing that's when that energy was up there and now we are seeing it again. And a lot of that has to do with the man Jaden Daniels. But he also has so stud running backs just like RG three had. He has a Brian Robinson, j he has an Austin Eckley. He even has a Jeremy McNichols. Talk about this run game before we get into Jade and Daniels and the commanders that are today, talk about this run game a little bit, because I got a feeling you're a big fan of what you're seeing on that field right now.
Speaker 3: No, No, definitely for sure.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: It's it's crazy how like so many people want to go away from the run game and they talk about it like, oh, it's not needed people in stupe go, And I'm like, nah Na, Like, if you really want to win, if you really want to contend, it, like you have to establish run game, because when you can't get the ball going on the on the on the ground, it's like it limits your playbook, like you can only do so much. It literally makes your your offense is like it makes it that much harder to be successful as an offense, Like you have to establish your run game. That helps with play actions that help with like some of those like a lot of those deep passes and stuff like. It helps with like the game overall, and even the flow ball like timon possession. You know, if you have something like a lot of people don't look at but I can look at people's timon position. I like, look at Jim James. I bet they lose a game just by their position alone. The defense on the field too long. That means they're gonna get really tired, and that means that the offense wasn't like they weren't fining all senders. Chances are they lost that game or they didn't play very well, you know. So it's just one of those things like you have to establish run games. So but yeah, I'm always gonna be biased by runn game because they always trying to like devalue running back Like no, I'll get what you say, like be value all you want, but you need to running back.
Speaker 1: Well, they definitely value it out here. Cliff Kingsbury has found a way to move that ball on the ground. Of course, that brings me to Jaden Daniels, where you know he had a lot of comparisons of RG three, which I'm gonna say they think it's fair to make any of these comparisons, right, They compared Withamar Jackson all these things. But we are seeing a guy come in and make an impact very similar to what we saw when RG three came in his rookie year. Can you talk about Jaden Daniels and have you really seen a quarterback like Jaden Daniels before?
Speaker 3: No, I can't. Yeah, everyone's unique. They may have similarities, man, Like you said, they gonna of course, anybody who looks like them are somewhat similar. They're gonna compare it likesons people, man, But I think he's overall he's doing a heck of a job. And like one of the main things is like play along is like he's reigniting the fan base. When you get those fans involved, man, like, it changes game. They literally the atmosphere can shift momentum in your favor and it's crazy how that works. So that's well if you can get that fan base going. And I think him and the rest of the team are doing a really really good job of this, Like I said, play along like and the more the better they play, the more the fans, we need to do it. So it's like it's just if both of them are just speeding off each other. So it's exciting to see what they do. And my hope it's that like they're able to, you know, one go make it all the way this sheit out, that would be lovely, nobody all the way, But it's like they can carry that momentum to keep going forward, to make it to the big dance, and like, cause that's I never got there, and I would I would love to have had a chance to shot at the super Bowl, but not everyone making there. But I just hope they one can get there and do they can keep this going for years to come. It's not just like a flash in the pants, so to speak, that it's like a one and done and then the next year they's like, oh what happened to those guys? You know? But but I think I'm hopeful and I think so that they will be able to keep this moment on going.
Speaker 1: You said it best, not everybody's able to make it there, and I feel that way when it comes to a career like yours, not everybody is able to come into the league and make an impact that you were able to make. So I got a tough question for you. I'm gonna put you on the spot right now. This is your list, So don't there's no pressure. You can say whatever you want, but I need top three Washington running backs all time in your opinion. Granted, you know we wasn't around years and years and years ago, so you don't got to, you know, feel like you were obligated to say that, but in your opinion out for more' opinion? Who are the top three running backs in Washington.
Speaker 3: All the time? I became in Washington bring because of Clinton. Porter is when you got traded h for Champ Bailey two And that was like. I watched him in Denver, watching a lot of Denver Denver stand Frank Green Bay. It was the only games we can catch on TV. My dad was a big fan. So but I started, I started. I was watching him. I'm like, man, this guy's nicely, got a nice him and pre songs going back and forth and touchdowns. Anyways, when he trained him, like, I was like, oh, it's so stupid. He's just and I'm like, you know what, I'm a Washington Frian now, so I actually got to pay my favorite team. So there's a there's another little nugget that most people didn't know that, like Washington was my favorite team, know that, So I would say Clinton Porters. I mean, ah, let's see, I'm gonna say, dang, I can't really stay with deal bitch, but I just actually love watching with del bitch play too. But I can't say he's like one of the top three, you know, like there's some good backs. Of course, I'm by the twist Clinton Porters. So man, he you can't think Washington backfield without thinking John Reagan, So I have to put Reagans in there. I have to. So like and he's also like madam awesome. God loved him like he's he's like the real deal. So and just watch I didn't get to watch him growing up, but just watch some of his highlights, you know. I was just like, man, like, Okay, this dude was he was like eating it. So and then third, I didn't want to do this, but I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Have to do it.
Speaker 3: I'll have to save me. I'm had to say me. Man. I kind of I still to this day like some another I like, I kind of just think about my career and I can go back and look at my highlights and I was like, dang, yeah, I hate I do. Like I don't know if that's like what call it what you want, but it's just like I do I go back and bind myself that. I was like, man like, like what a career I had? Like what? Look? That was a lot of fun in watching this, So I guess I know. I've never put myself on the list when I get a list, but it's the first time for everything, so like I'm throwing me on there.
Speaker 1: I love it. Man again, Man, this is a this is your walk down memory, lay Man, and I love that. I to put you on the list too, because brother man, even just preparing for this and go through those stats, I was like, oh my gosh, this is a sixth round doing these things. And that actually leads me to my final question for you, because when you were a rookie, you got to experience the Battle of the Belt wagh, which is our matchups against the Baltimore Ravens. We have that this Sunday. Do you remember real quick because I got them? Do you remember your stats that game?
Speaker 3: H No, I don't. The one thing I remember for that game is I mean the linebacker went head up and he stopped and fell and I kept going and I just remember I feel bad. I think I got hurt that guy, but I was like, it doesn't matter. I got the yards a game like, but I don't know my stats. I knew it. It was a fun game and I enjoyed it. And it was like they were like I knew they thumb because they still at ray. I actually met ray Lewis side No, I met ray Lewis and I was like, hey, ry Louu was scared of me, just because he came to the game right after. I have my whole life wanted to play against ray Lewis and the one opportunity to get he's not even in the game because I think, yeah for something. That's the side note. But I don't remember my stats, but I do remember that one play with that linebacker and like him hitting the ground and me keep running by. So but yeah, yeah, I don't know what's my stats though.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you the Ravens needed ray Lewis that day because you had one hundred and twenty nine yards rushing and a touchdown and your performance got you Rookie of the Week against the Baltimore Ravens so you had yourself a game, and we have some rookies that are looking to do the same thing with that Battle of the Beltway. So can you tell me, like, I don't know if you realize it at the time, but I'm sure like being back now, you realize like it's not really a rivalry, but there's like that play cousin type energy with the Baltimore Ravens. With everything being in the DMV, can you tell us the importance of back then what those Battle of the Beltway games were like, especially against a Ravens team that was really dominant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, yeah, definitely, So it was I always thought it was fun. Even when we played them in the preseasons someone we always played them, so it was like it was almost like a brother like we had high key key before the game, after the game, but between that lines we smashing each other. It's like, you know, it's like kind of like a blue little brother versus big brother almost, or like these two cousins is always going to each other. They love each other, but at the same time always going at I always trying to wine up each other, trying to better each other. So I think it's one of those like it's a competitive relationship, but it's like it's a healthy competitives competitiveness between the two and like the DMV is so interconnected, it's almost like we're in ways and I ain't gonna say that. So it was a kind of like one team, but we're not. We definitely not. There's a distinction between Washington and Baltimore. So I'm not gonna sol any our fan based or anything like that. So but it is it's like this brotherly like love, but it's like I'll knock you out, anybody else knock you out.
Speaker 1: So hey, man, well, thank you so much for your time and your perspective. Man. Yeah, we know you're a busy brother. An before we even got on, you surprised me. Man, you had the scrubs on, you had on the hospital mask. Tell the people what you're doing these days, man, and you know where they can still support you and show you love because I'll tell you what, Man, these Washington fans, they love you so much, man, and I know they're going to be so excited to have heard from you again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I appreciate it. I honestly, man, Right now, I'm a medical medical device here. Didn't know it existed. Uh, someone kind of pointing out of direction, was like, I want to do that. You know, I've a natomy background. I want to be somewhere in the medical field. It's always going to be there. So started doing this and doing a little over two years. So I mean I'm also like looking for what's the next thing. So, I mean there's nothing I canna be supported in it right now. I don't have like, you know, nonprofit or anything like that I'm supporting, but uh maybe one day I would love to do something for like like a homeless ministry, like doing something with like feeding homeless or just getting them shelter or helping them rehab to so they can get a job. You know, some of them won't just want to live on the streets and some of them, you know, some of them don't. They just feel a hard times. So I just have a heart when I especially in Dallas a lot of and uh so when I go around, I just see them and not stop and chat with them, and just so eventually I want to do something with that. So maybe in the future, like that's something I can do and maybe the fan Basic can help out with that. But as of right now, it's like just keep showing your love to his team with keep it, keep it electrified.
Speaker 1: Great guy on and off the field. Brother, always pushing the envelope man, and that's so impressive. It Just know if you ever ever getting into meeting, you always got a home with Next Man Up. Man, we will always welcome you on. Brother. This has been a great conversation, Alfred, and we appreciate you so much. Command is family, our Next Man Up, a true Washington legend, one of the best backs to ever put that helmet on for Washington. Alfred Mores, thank you for your time.
Speaker 3: Brother, Thank you. I appreciate it and this family.
Speaker 1: We hope you've enjoyed this episode like you've enjoyed all the other Next Man Up episodes, and if you've missed any, make sure to check him out on the Commander's YouTube page or stream them wherever you get your podcasts. I am your host, Brian Cooper Junior, and this is Next Man Up.