Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our one on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. Surprise Surprise. Last night in the NBA, the Knicks and the Nuggets both winning on the road. Will dissect that. You got the Pacers at the Cabs tonight, that's game two, Pacers are getting nine, and the Warriors at the Timberwolves Game one. The Warriors are getting seven. The Ravens cut Justin Tucker, perhaps a future Hall of Famer. We'll talk about that. And the NFL announces the twenty twenty seven Draft will be in Washington, d C. Boy, what a turn of events for Washington, DC. You're gonna get a new stadium, you got a new owner, went to the playoffs, you got a bright stars, your quarterback. Everything looking great there in DC. Eight seven seven to three. DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle, a DP Show stat of the day. As always, don't you buy Penini America The official trading cards of the program. First Hour brought to you by Maco. Cars on the Road could use a little TLC at least most of the cars could. Mako brings them back to life. Affordable paint jomps like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today and remember uh oh better get Maco eight seven seven three DP Show operator Tyler sitting by, He'll take your phone calls. The great play by play voice doc Emrick the Hall of Famer will join us a little later on, and former All Star Gilbert Arenas will join us as well. A documentary on Gilbert Arenas is coming out, I believe today, so we'll talk to Gilbert. Also get an update on his son, one of the best high school players in America going to usc was involved in a car accident recently. So Gilbert will join us a little bit later on. Poll question, play of the Day, stat of the Day, All of that forthcoming. But a wild night last night as the Knicks come back beat the Celtics and Boston misses forty five three pointers forty five out of sixty, the Nuggets beat the Thunder and Joker goes for forty two and twenty two. I mean go back to the Knicks, because I thought they were in trouble down twenty and Boston didn't change its philosophy. They weren't hitting shots, but they were still leading. And then you kept wondering, do they go inside, do you maybe take a two at one point? Do you try to go to the free throw line? Just something that will break up the rhythm of missing all these three pointers. Well that didn't happen. But the Knicks come back from twenty down, and that rally is the biggest postseason comeback in franchise history. But Boston had to help sixty three pointers, that's the most ever an NBA playoff game, and missing forty five of the sixty that's obviously the most in an NBA playoff game as well. But I was curious about the second half. Thirty seven of the forty nine shots Boston took in the second half and three pointers. They went ten for thirty seven on those shots. And at some point I have to go against the analytics. Now I know Boston. Look, they had uncontested shots, they were missing threes. They're not going to miss these shots throughout this series. But at some point I want to see some kind of alteration. I want an adjustment there. How about you go for a two. How about you instruct your players to maybe run something inside and not just perimeter jumpers here, they are really good three point shooting team. But when you're not that then there has to be a point where you go, Okay, maybe we should stop shooting threes. It's not our night. But they never got to that point. Now you're going to have game two. Do I think Boston's philosophy is going to be the same. Absolutely, But can the Knicks play better? I think, you know, if Boston hits two more threes, they win this game. I don't think the Knicks played a perfect game. I think they hung in there. Brunson had a chance to win it with a layup in regulation. Og and Nanobi. I mean, they had the guys. These are the guys that they brought in Bridges. They brought them in to beat Boston. This happens a lot of times in pro sports, where you go, Okay, we got to beat that team. How do we beat that team? We got to get players, and that was their sole focus. We got to beat them. How do we match up with them? And last night the Knicks did a really good job of staying in and having composure. Here. Because you're down twenty on the road, you're probably going, all right, we'll chalk this up, it's a loss. We'll come back. I mean, even Denver. I thought a quick turnaround, it could either be really close or really ugly, and I was leaning towards OKC. They were a nine and a half point favorite. They were going to blow out the Nuggets. But then that young team sitting there resting waiting. Meanwhile, Denver a quick turnaround and they surprise okay See and Joker. I know this is going to be a referendum on well see, who should be the MVP. Shay Giljos Alexander is going to be the MVP, and he should be because of what he did during the regular season. But there's a pattern that has developed between these two teams. So the Nuggets come back from fourteen down, the thunder a blown double digit leads three times against Denver this season. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America. So they lost those three games to Denver and they blew double digit leads to them. Denver's a good team, smart team, and you have guys who who can make plays. Now, I didn't think Aaron Gordon was going to be the guy at the buzzer with a three pointer, but Chad Holmgren missed a couple of free throws. He was late trying to close out Aaron Gordon. Gordon is actually percentage wise a good three point shooter, but you had Joker who kept him in the game, putting up monster numbers there. And you know, keep in mind the Pacers already beat the Cavaliers. What are the odds that Golden State could complete the opening round sweep for road teams as they're a seven point underdog against the Timberwolves. All right, Seaton, what's the pole question today? Got a couple options here for you. Well, we could start with will the Nicks win another game in this series?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Or no?
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, sleep my sweep?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: Paulie said, dover, which team will advance? Nick Nuggets are neither? Okay, that's kind of fun, Nick Nuggets neither.
Speaker 1: Todd sent this to me. Who had a better night, Jalen Brunson or Aaron Gordon? I would say Aaron Gordon hit the game winning shot. I mean, the Knicks had a great night. Aaron Gordon's had a really good month, Yes, Todd, But I.
Speaker 6: Find it fascinating how you, you know, how you would decide what would be the you know, you know, a moment obviously wins the game.
Speaker 4: So you think that's the obvious one.
Speaker 6: But then in a huge game and a huge series on the road, to see what Jalen Brunson did, and he kept popping three up to three and brings him back from twenty points, and at least an argument can be made that through the course of the game for each of those two games that you can would say Jalen.
Speaker 1: Brunton, I would say Aaron Gordon hit the game winning shot. That's what makes an interesting all right, thank.
Speaker 5: You, is it felt like Jalen Brunton had just won the game and thenn lost it almost immediately right after. Yes, it felt like that was man that needed to go in because there's no way that the Knicks are going to be able to keep the Celtics back.
Speaker 1: He's so good at creating space because he's not a big guy, but he takes on contact. He just is really good at knowing what he does well. And I think that there's a lot of guys who have talent, they just don't know what they really do well and they try to do too much. I think Anthony Edwards sometimes colors outside the lines a little bit there, like he tries to do too much and because he's got all of that god given ability. But Brunson, I think he's just so good at knowing I do this really really well, and I'm not trying to do other things here. But what other pole questions are we looking at? First hour?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we go which team will advance. We could also look to the West as well, or maybe we could split it up East and West if you want to do that. I think we'll focus on the NBA playoffs.
Speaker 1: Right by the way, here is Jalen Brunson on his team down twenty.
Speaker 4: The toy sailler.
Speaker 7: Just keep leiaving and just keep firing and sticking together and keep tripping away. Was it going to be a twenty point shot where you can just come back? We got to keep chipping away possession by possession and then just finally I keep getting sup So make a place offensive one as.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, and also hoping the Celtics continue to miss three pointers I have. According to DraftKings the updated NBA title odds, the Thunder is still the favorites, then the Celtics, followed by the Calves, and then a distant fourth the Timberwolves, and then even further down the list, the Nuggets and Warriors are tied at plus eighteen hundred thunder r plus one seventy five Celtics plus two ten Calves plus five hundred Timberwolves plus eleven hundred. Okay, so phone calls are welcome. We'll get to those. Email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, thanks for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. Yes, Pauline, I want to.
Speaker 8: Go back to what you said about the Celtics. They're missing all those threes, and should Joe Missoula say right time out, let's take it the whole reset a little bit. I wonder if analytics overrules him, because I would think the analytics would say, let's keep shooting because we're due to make based off our history. They lead the league this season in three point attempts forty eight per game. By far, they led a league in three point makes I wonder if analytics told them, don't stop, keep shooting. It will work itself out.
Speaker 1: But at what point do you say it's not our night, Like there has to be a point of no return.
Speaker 8: But I wonder if coaches are taught now to not fight analytics, not go with their gut, because analytics is a.
Speaker 1: Removal of gut.
Speaker 8: And I wonder if Joe Molzula says, Nope, don't do it, stick with it, stick with it, stick with it.
Speaker 1: Well, I believe that you have to go with your gut sometimes, like if you go by just the numbers. I mean, I see baseball. You know managers they outmanage themselves, they out think themselves, instead of going with this app how's he throwing and he's throwing great, No, he's throwing sixty one pitches. He's got to come out. Man, he's throwing pretty well skipped. I know he's going to come out. I just want to break up the rhythm. I got to get points. And if it's a free throw, two free throws, maybe it's just a mid range jumper. I just have to get something to break this skid that we're on. That would be my approach if I'm playing or if I'm coaching, Let's just get something.
Speaker 5: Yes, but don't you kind of see that, like all right, yeah, he's pitching, and he's had sixty pitches, and you have this data in front of you that says, as soon as he hits sixty one pitches, he usually falls off a cliff.
Speaker 1: I would don't you look at that and be like pull him out. I watch Aaron Boone mismanaged games all the time because it feels like he is just married to analytics. I now pronounce you manager and wife, and I have a problem with that. But look, I'm old school. I do accept analytics. I think that we're behold olden to analytics, and we're like, we hold on because you can go to a press conference and you can say, well, the numbers were on our side.
Speaker 9: There.
Speaker 1: The numbers show that we you know, I should pull this pitcher or we should keep shooting threes. I understand that it's a great excuse. I just I think there has to be a feel that you have with your team sometimes. Ben. Maybe that's just the old school in me, but I understand what you're saying. Yes, it says after sixty one pitches, then all of a sudden, the batting average goes up to three eighty seven, seven times out of ten.
Speaker 5: It works out this way, and you have to have a tremendous amount of belief in your gut and your intuition to say, yeah, but this is probably the eighth time or whatever.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: But if I say to my catcher that's all I care about. How's how's he throwing? Now, he might say, uh, you know what, time to take him out? Or you know what, they're not even coming close. Now I can say to my pitcher, leave in for one I'm gonna let you get out of this jam. I'm gonna leave you in for one more better. That's just feel and trusting your players. That's the only thing that I would argue or push back on that. Joe Mizzoula knows we do this really well. Okay, at what point are we not doing this well? We've had open looks too. That's the crazy part. They're not going to shoot this poorly the rest of the series. But then I expect the Knicks to be a little better as well. Yeah, Paulie, it.
Speaker 8: Seems like the NFL is still gut over analytics. We talk about fourth and ones and stuff, and you hear coaches from the Bills, well, fourth and one, you should do this, and they don't. It feels like NFL coaches do a little more gut than analytics and tight situation.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I think the younger coaching staffs, yes, are going with analytics. You know that, hey, this is what you're supposed to do in this situation. And then you're like, really, you know Harball talks about this or Lafleur. You know, these younger coaches are like, yeah, we can go for yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Going back to last night's game, if I'm a Celtics fan, I'm pulling my hair out because Jason Tatum had a one on one a couple times with Brunson or Og and he could have gone straight to the rim and he backed up maybe another five feet to take a step back three pointer. I would have been pulling my hair out. Now, normally he makes it, but like you said, last night was not their night.
Speaker 1: I don't want to make it easier for you to guard me if you know I'm not going to the hoop and I'm going to be on the perimeter. Now he has a height advantage, but still I know you're going to stay on the perimeter. It's such a huge advantage though, I think for the defense that you're you're not going to go inside, and that was what was surprising. I just need to break up the rhythm here, yeah, pauling, I.
Speaker 8: Wonder what an analytics coach would have said. Jalen Brown missed his first nine threes over nine, then he hit one when he was over nine. Would analytics tell you to tell him to stop shooting threes and taking the hole?
Speaker 1: Don't? Yeah, I would say go in there and get a get found.
Speaker 8: Now that's got Yeah, analytics have said Jaylen Brown, shold keep shoo because based off his history, he's due to hit.
Speaker 1: Paul. I've never lost a playoff game in my lifetime. Okay, I've never coached one, but I've never lost one. I defeated, yes, so I know what I'm talking about now. Anytime that I struggled shooting, I would always think, just get free throws, like just stop whatever is happening. And I think the ability to be able to slow it down and don't let the Knicks get momentum or get that feeling of man, we're in this because you took away that feeling when they were down twenty. You took away their hope, and then all of a sudden you'll allowed it to come back by missing all these shots, and then all of a sudden, the Nicks are going uh, we can win this game like the Nuggets. I'm watching and I go, okay, they can't stop Joker, all right, they're doing okay here, okay, all right, they're fouling. Okay, I don't know about that flying. I can't gordon ballgame and sort of how it happened. All right, let me take a break. We'll settle on pull question. We got phone calls coming up. The great Doc Emrick will join us, always entertaining Gilbert Arenas a little bit later on as well. We're back after this Dan Patrick show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports. And pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 1: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 3: So check us out. We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 1: I was surprised, but I was not shocked that the Ravens released Justin Tucker, the most accurate kicker in the history of the NFL, and he had been there thirteen years and of course sixteen. Massage therapists say Tucker's actions inappropriate sexual behavior in nature happened between twenty twelve and twenty sixteen, and I wondered if he was an all pro, if he was still Justin Tucker, would he still be on the team, and I would argue that he probably would be until we find out exactly what happened in these cases here. But he's a seven time All Pro. But he struggled. He made seventy three percent of his field goal percentages and he missed two extra points. The Ravens drafted a kid out of Arizona, Tyler Loop, I think, in the sixth round, and his numbers are okay, and he's not Sebastian Janikowski first round talent, but you're going to bring him in. Justin Tucker was set to make seven million dollars and he became expendable. And here's another thing. I think people were going, Oh, they're going to say this is football only. Well, they have to say that they can't release him because of you know what's gone on the inappropriate beg. I mean, he's got to have at least the opportunity to defend himself, I would think. But they can use football reasons. You know, there's no litigation with hey, we're releasing you you didn't perform well, which he didn't. He left himself open to, you know, having them bring somebody in. He struggled during the season at times. I think they talked about bringing in kickers. They were trying to give him confidence. But he has been released, and I don't know if you're a team, can you pick him up right now with all of this? Like what is the upside? You might be getting somebody who can return to his Hall of Fame form. What happens in five years, six years when he's eligible for the Hall of Fame? How do the voters sort this out? Not supposed to factor in stuff off the field, but you do. I think that's the human nature part of this. But sixteen massage therapists, and I believe these are civil lawsuits with him, but they said it was a football decision, incredibly difficult. The team thanked him for years of service. He is currently under league investigation after the allegations of sexual misconduct. Here's another question I have, and I don't have any answers. I'm not trying to litigate this as much as just asking a question. This inappropriate behavior allegedly occurred between twenty twelve and twenty sixteen. Why did it stop? Did it stop? Nobody else has come forward, So from twenty twelve to twenty sixteen, sixteen different massage therapists, you know, report incidents. What happened after that nine years later? Nothing else, But I wonder if there's any correlation between him struggling and then these lawsuits coming to light, because it certainly felt like there was some kind of synchronicity here. But he's one of the great kickers of all time, but he made himself vulnerable by not performing thirteen years. Probably h Hall of Famer, and he was famous too, like it's it's kind of difficult for kickers to be famous. Adam Vinteri's winning Super Bowls. Janikowski was just a big personality there. But getting in, you know, Morten Anderson, what the all time leading scorer. But you know, once again, trying to get into the Hall of Fame as a kicker, it's tough to do because you got get somebody's attention. And the kickers have gotten so good that you almost are shocked when somebody misses an extra point or misses from fifty yards down. It's weird. I'm more surprised when they missed from fifty than I am when they miss an extra point. It's just they've gotten to the point where automatic and this guy was mister automatic and now he's on the outside looking in.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paulin, Yeah, Justin Tucker's struggles started a little bit in twenty twenty three. He was one for five from fifty plus and he was usually automatic. He actually did a poll question a year and a half ago, would you rather have Justin Tucker or all a Pro Bowl running back? And Justin Tucker won the pole. That's how he was thought of in the league.
Speaker 1: Well, Baltimore, I guess is bringing in Florida state kicker Ryan Fitzgerald as well, but so over the Patriots and the Commanders. He was an All American first team All American thirteen for thirteen field goals, fourteen for fourteen on extra points. But I guess he was going to sign with Carolina as an undrafted free agent. But it just feels like kickers bounce around. But occasionally you get that guy who is with you for over a decade and Justin Tucker now cut by the Baltimore Ravens. All right, we'll get to some phone calls here eight seven to seven three DP show Gilbert in La, Hi, Gilbert, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 2: Patrick? Good morning, Patrick, Good morning everybody. Patrick. So talking about the Justin Tucker and the Ravens.
Speaker 11: I mean, if he's gotten so bad and guys have gotten so good, I mean I would definitely take Justin Tucker on the forty nine ers of her. Jake Moody, I mean, that guy couldn't hit anything.
Speaker 1: We need a kicker.
Speaker 11: We miss him, we miss the Roddy Gold. But I think anybody's better than Jake Moody at this point, what do you.
Speaker 1: Think, Well, you can call me Dan, but thank you, Gilbert. Would I take on Justin Tucker? Now? No, I would not. No, I would not if it's Justin Tucker with no baggage. Okay, maybe, but they're clearly You know, this is like golf, where you go, whatever happened to that guy, and all of a sudden they just forget how to be great to make putts. You know, you're a kicker, that's all you do. Kick, And then all of a sudden you get inside your head. You know, guys can be a really good shooter, and then they go to the free throw line or like, and then all of a sudden, you know, free throw percentage is in the sixties. You get into your own head and everything that he was carrying around with him probably he brought to the game and out there when he's kicking. Uh, Drew and Columbus, Good morning, Drew, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 2: Five eleven, one ninety. That's an honor, Thank you. You know, I'm getting real tired of people talking about analytics and then they say it and the act like the conversation has to end because they said the word analytics, Like there's no difference between winning about twenty and when by forty or material difference to the Celtics win the game. But also these analytics are accrued over the course of the season when you play a lot of bad teams. So you can fight analytics with analytics, right, Like what does the analytics say when you're playing the top five defense which the next are? Or in baseball, what do the analytics say when you're facing a top ten hit? Or do they change? So people really have to start taking the analytics with a grain of salt because you can cut those variables anyway.
Speaker 1: You Yeah, I'm with you on it, And I don't want to sound like the get off my line guy because I understand, you know, the numbers here and numbers don't line in certain situations, but I do think there has to be there. It has to be open to interpretation. What am I thinking? What am I feeling? And if you have analytics, if you're the Celtics, you're analytics. Do the Knicks have your analytics as well?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How much of this is a secret? It's we know what you do and you know what we do. So what's the advantage here? Hey, these are the analytics and they say we should keep shooting threes. Okay, we know you're going to keep shooting threes and we're going to play this style of defense. Some of the misses, like Jason Tatum hit the didn't even hit the rim on one of the threes, and it was an open top of the you know, key jumper, like you can miss and have it rattle in and out, you know, almost. But then there are other times when you start missing and you go, hey, Jason, go in, take it inside. Brunson's on you take it in. Sign post him up. Get some free throws here that for the life of me, I don't understand. And I've watched, you know, go back to when John Starks had that night marriash performance against the Rockets, but he kept shooting. At some point there's diminishing returns to keep shooting. Now, you might say, and hey, I thought this myself, Well I'm gonna make the next one. I'm gonna make the next one. At some point, doubt creeps in. I don't care how great a shooter you are. At some point, consciously, subconsciously, it seeps in. Yeah, there does have to be.
Speaker 5: That moment where it's like, uh, all right, I'm just gonna get to the hoop, get a quick two, maybe an N one, change the rhythm a little bit, like you're saying. But it is funny how a player like say Jason Tatum, he's a shooter. I'm just gonna shoot my way out of it, and the guy next one was like, yeah, me too, And the guy next to him he's like, yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: I'm just I just gotta shoot my way out of it. You know, guys like us, we're just shooters, right.
Speaker 5: It's like, you can't have everybody be like I'm just gonna shoot my way out of it too, Yes, Pauling.
Speaker 8: I went back and looked at the Celtics last three games versus the Knicks in twenty twenty five. They shot forty two on the season three points versus the Knicks, that was the second best team they faced as far as three point percent.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, at some point you have to go inside. You have to break up the rhythm. That's all. It doesn't have to be, Hey, we're not shooting any more threes, guys, let's just break up the rhythm. Let's get somebody to score some points. Let's you know, we're up twenty. We don't need to continue to force this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, smart, VP relaxed Kevin Mchaley and walking through that door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he's not shooting threes. He probably would have to be. No, I don't know. They'd probably said, Kevin, nobody wants a two. Get outside, Robert Parry, Robert. Yeah, everybody's shooting threes. Not everybody should shoot threes, but they you know, then Porzingis was out. Al Horford had to play more. Al Horford looked his age. It was it was just a game. They lost a game. They lost it home, Okay, got their attention. Cleveland. Cleveland is in worse shape because they got injuries here, and the Pacers are a good team. I said, I wouldn't be surprised if they won this, you know, beat the Cavs it's just they're not famous. Nobody covered them. The analyst will tell you they play the hits. Nobody's watching, you know, the Pacers and just not. Pacers got more coverage when Halliburton's dad went toe to toe with Yannis. That's the most coverage they got the entire season and lost in That was Halliburton's game winning layup against Giannis. It's that this is the world we live in. Nobody's covering Detroit. Nobody cover the Rockets. You know that they're playing they it's a top forty radio station. We're going to play the same hits over and over and over. That's when we're surprised. We're like, damn, such and such as good like a yeah, amen, Thompson man, that guy's pretty good. You know we played the entire year. Yeah okay, yes, Marvin, only you.
Speaker 10: Were playing the indie rock band that nobody ever heard of, Like, oh, Polo ban Cao, Why are we talking Polo Bankaro.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I mean, this is just my approach. However, you know you're told to you know, networks tell you everybody wants to hear about Lebron and you know, Luca and I understand all of that, and I worked there for eighteen years. I just think being fair to your sport. If that's your job as a reporter, as an analyst, then be fair to your sport. Single out some of these guys. Kate Cunningham was great the entire season, not, says man. Look at him in the playoffs?
Speaker 10: Yes, Mark, going forward for the rest of the playoffs. Is there one player you suggest that everybody watches.
Speaker 1: I would say Evan Mobley, but I don't know what his status is for Game two Defensive Player of the Year. I'd have to think about that, but it'll probably be somebody that you don't normally focus on. Probably not. All right, we'll take a break. We'll settle on our poll question. Well, update our pool question. Doc Emrick, the Great Doc Emerck will join us. Probably been a while since he's done any play by play. Oh, Fritzy is going to do? Is Kevin Harlan impersonation? Kevin Harlan on the call last night with the Celtics and the Knicks. So we'll have that for you. But coming up next play the day. Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific, Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 8: Wapp Oh my God.
Speaker 1: Play of the Day letter, What's I got it? Play? This is the play of the day. Check this out.
Speaker 12: Second free throw home gird you kissed it again. Rebound down to Christian Brown.
Speaker 1: You got a hurry.
Speaker 12: Eight seven seconds front court, over to Westbrook, left side Gordon for the win. Yeah, two point eight seconds left, coming back the other way. Williams from half court take it. No good at the horn and the Denver Nuggets shocked the Oklahoma City Thunder in game number one.
Speaker 1: Altitude Radio Network. That's your play of the day. Aaron Gordon finished with twenty two and fourteen, averaging nineteen and six rebounds. This postseason play of the Day brought to you by True Green taking care of your lawn Affordable Ensuring satisfaction guaranteed. Truegreen dot go there today. Let the pros do the work well, you relax and enjoy the results. Exclusions apply. See true green dot com for details. Hall of Very Good we brought this up years ago. We bring this up usually on an annual basis, like Joe Johnson Hall of very Good, Al Horford, maybe the Hall of Very Good. I think Paul gets a little too generous when he goes Aaron Gordon Hall of very Good, and I would say Aaron Gordon is the Hall of.
Speaker 8: Good, which there is not a Hall of good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's in the neighborhood. It's in the subdivision, the brick and mortar hall. So there's Hall of Fame, there's the Hall of very Good, there's the Hall of pretty good, there's the Hall of good. That's how I see it. Aaron Gordon is the Hall of pretty good. Pretty good. Never been an all star, yes, sEH.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I just need to get the order correct. There's the Hall of Fame, hall of Fame, then there's the Hall of very good. Yes, then pretty good. It's pretty good as above good. Yeah see, I just feel like the Hall of he's pretty good or the Hall of No He's good.
Speaker 1: He's the Hall of good. Yeah, no, he's very good. Pretty good. Pretty good to me is a fourth tier good. Okay.
Speaker 5: I just want to if we're going to put a poll question up about this, I just need to know the third option is either going to be pretty good or good.
Speaker 1: I thought pretty good was adding to good. Okay, let's go pure good. He's pretty good. Okay, okay, maybe it's the inflection. Maybe I'm selling it a little bit.
Speaker 5: I'm doing the same thing. Though, he's good, he's he's pretty good. Aaron Gordon Hall of Fame, very good, pretty good. No, No, he's well, he's not a Hall of Famer. Well, right, I know that, But I just feel like we got to Pott, don't we. Yeah, in case Aaron Gordon's family wants to book. Yeah, I don't want to be hater. Yeah, I don't want to be just rude. Yeah, Hall of like Joe Johnson is the Hall of very Good.
Speaker 8: He's a founding father.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is he on the Mount Rushmore of very Good? Yes, yes, Martin, along with Al Horf Al Horford. Al Horford's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: Though he's going to get in.
Speaker 1: He will get in the Hall of Fame because he won two national titles in college and he's had a long career and he's won a couple of titles. He's he's in the Hall of very Good, yes, Martin.
Speaker 4: Old school reference Hall of very Good, Tom Chambers.
Speaker 1: Tom Chambers should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: See Hall of very Good. Now some people should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Tom Chambers. If I was just looking at his highlights the other day, of course I was looking at his highlight. He put up sixty in a game. Basketball player. Now, Tom Chambers was athletic. He was a really dynamic player. I got. I was watching Tom chamber highlights that was It's on Facebook, and all of a sudden I locked into Tom Chambers and I go, damn he was He was good. He was Hall of Famer, yeah, pauling.
Speaker 8: But checking the h OBG criteria, Aaron Gordon, he averaged like fifteen and eight almost every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's not Hall of Fame, right, hall.
Speaker 8: Of very good. He very famous, dunk contest famous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't even win the dunk contest.
Speaker 8: Which is another reason very good.
Speaker 1: I think he's he's in the Hall of Good. You know, he's just a good player.
Speaker 8: Okay, I hate to bring this up. Gilbert Arenas joining us later today. Three time All.
Speaker 1: Star, he won a scoring title.
Speaker 8: He averaged twenty nine one year, twenty eight one year, which is very Hall of very goodish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's not a Hall of Famer there it is. Yeah, yes, he see, That's why I think he's so interesting.
Speaker 5: The timing of having him on is perfect because he is right in line with that. Yesterday we were talking about James Harden and Russell Westbrook. The next in that exact same line of player could be Gilbert Arenas. He's in that category of Damn, why the hell isn't this guy winning? Why isn't this guy getting a ring? Why didn't Why didn't that work?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Harden and Westbrook were MVPs, and they did lead the league in scoring and one average a triple double. I mean, they're far more decorated than Gilbert.
Speaker 5: They are, but I just feel like talent wise, he felt like a guy at least. Maybe I'm over selling it a little bit, but I feel like he would be in that list of five guys.
Speaker 1: Maybe that are like, damn, I thought this dude would have gotten a ring. He should have been better, should have been better. Yes, Yes, he was a bucket, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think the thing with Gilbert was his prime wasn't long enough. If he had those same numbers for another three years, he would be in the Hall of Fame by now. Six time All Star, yeah, five time All NBA player, Because I think the prime was only as far as a top five top ten player was only for three years. So I think that's what puts him in the Hall of Good is that the prime wasn't long enough. It's not like he averaged eighteen points for ten years. He had just like three monster years where he'd put up crazy numbers. So I think that's the thing with Gilbert Reinas.
Speaker 1: By the way, lost in the Aaron Gordon jumper chat, Holmgren misses two free throws there, and then you're thinking, is Westbrook going to take the shot? Is Joker going to take the shot? And Aaron Gordon was open and Homegren didn't close out. He hesitated because they didn't need a three, they needed a two to win the game. And I think Holmgren thought, I don't want to flash and get out there and then have Aaron Gordon beat me at the buzzer. And he got out there too late. And but give credit to Gordon. I mean, that's a big shot. It's not the shot I would have drawn up, but hey, it worked. Angela in Oklahoma, Hi Angela, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Hi? Dan five six, one hundred and twenty three first stem collar. Yeah, And first of all, I'd like to say I'm you know, I'm upset about the thunder, but the play of the day is well des hurt kudos on that. I'm also a poker player. I loved the Joker but didn't care for him last night.
Speaker 1: Thank you Angela sounded a little bit like Pandora, didn't it going on, little man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Jay We love you.
Speaker 1: Stand Jay stand Jay? Oh Dan, Oh Dan?
Speaker 4: Give us.
Speaker 1: It gets me every time. Hot Tom in North Carolina. Hi Tom, Hey Tom.
Speaker 9: He loved the sound of Pandora.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 9: I want to kind of like get off a little bit of little topic about to do. I want to talk about tonight's game Minnesota and Golden State. So I know your favorite player, Rudy Gobert, Hall of very Good maybe you know No.
Speaker 1: No, he's not the Hall of very Good. No, but uh, you know continue.
Speaker 9: I was looking at a stat I saw that h Draymond Green. He's got four technicals. Do you foresee the Timberwolves poking the bear trying to get Draymond to be Draamond to maybe possibly get up to that seventh technical and get suspended.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, yeah, sometimes you'd I don't even have to poke it. He'll he'll do the honors himself, and I'm really interested to see how Draymond and Rudy and the Goberts do. I am, yes, Barton.
Speaker 10: I hate to burst your bubble, but I really think Rudy Gobert ends up getting into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: But he got three or four Defensive Player of.
Speaker 1: The Year award probably Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 10: The criteria to get into the Hall of Fame in basketball isn't as high as the others, so there's a lot of Hall of very good guys that end up getting it into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess, yeah.
Speaker 8: Pul, But if every player from the Basketball Hall of Fame were out on a court and they're picking sides, Rudy might be standing there a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm not gonna take him anytime soon. He should be dominating in this series. Golden State doesn't have a big guy, the Lakers didn't have a big guy. He should get twenty rebounds, he should be blocking five shots. I think that's the surprise is people are surprised that he had a big game. He's supposed to.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yes, Marvin unrelated, but hallo very good.
Speaker 1: Baron Davis, Yeah, I'll give you that there's some guys. Yeah, yeah, there's quite a few of those. Nick van Exel. Nick van Exel was underrated.
Speaker 4: I'm going to say Rock Strickley.
Speaker 1: I was watching highlights of Nick van Exel this weekend. I'm Facebook, I was, I was.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Antoine Davison mixed in.
Speaker 4: Some Anton Walker highlights.
Speaker 1: Life doc Camrick is going to join us. Coming up more of your phone calls as well. One hour in the books, two more to go.