Speaker 1: What up is Turbo?
Speaker 2: Mister run that back Turbo, and I want you to check me out right now on a Bootleg kV podcast.
Speaker 3: Yo, Bootlet cav show Man. We got a special guess in here. His name is Turbo.
Speaker 1: You might know him.
Speaker 3: You heard his tag on it all these damn big records. Uh, one of the biggest producers in the game is here.
Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 4: Thank you, bro, thank you, Yes, sir?
Speaker 1: How's up?
Speaker 3: First of all, man, I know you're one of the very few artists who could say they have a diamond single.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: And I didn't even realize Drip Too Hard was diamond. Like Ace was like, make sure you bring up the fact he's got a diamond record, and I was like, it's Drip too Hard diamond Damn sure. It's crazy. Yeah, that's got to feel crazy because that's not there's not that many people who could have that on the resume these days. Bro, that's like Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: Shit, that's ten platinum records.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you don't know, yeah, nah, yeah, it do feel crazy. I mean, I guess it's just a blessing, bro. Like I can't I can't call it anything.
Speaker 3: You know, what was your kind of like because I guess that's kind of the project that we kind of like you became more like a household name of hip hop that tager yours. Kind of give me a little breakdown on like your come up as a producer in Atlanta, because it is a very very flooded marketplace for producers these days, and it's hard to break through, it's hard to get placements. So kind of give me like a rundown, like how you started producing and like just your come up.
Speaker 2: Well, I started engineering, So engineering was like I got fired from my job and that became my job, you know what I mean. And that's how I was hustling and making money. But I always had the passion to be a producer. Engineering was literally just how I ate, you know, from day to day. But that's also how I met all the artists. And at that time, Atlanta was a place it still is, but it was even more of a place where we just embraced everybody. So if you was from Atlanta and you knew you know such and such, or you went to high school such and such, you had an opportunity to get inside the studio if you knew what you was doing. So I took so many of those opportunities, just friends and people that.
Speaker 4: I grew up with, Like, you know, I'll record you for free.
Speaker 3: I got beats for free.
Speaker 2: Shit, I'll sit here all night for free, you know what I mean, whatever it is, and I just slowly just started.
Speaker 1: They give you an inch and you took a foot.
Speaker 3: I took like three feet he took you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: People don't even know, Like even like the Metro and twenty one Savage album, I recorded most of that.
Speaker 1: Oh that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I recorded most of that, and even like X Bitch, I recorded that.
Speaker 3: That was like my engineer career.
Speaker 2: And then when Gunner kind of started getting his traction, that was the first person that was just rapping on my beats. And we did Okay and Drip season three together and all that stuff, and that's when it was like, Okay, Turbo, naa, he's not an engineer, he's a producer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A lot of people who don't know, like, first of all, if you're a producer or an artist, to have the ability to be an engineer as well, Yeah, it's such a nice way to just get in the door.
Speaker 1: Like I could record.
Speaker 5: You record yourself, you know what I mean, like, but like so many dope producers and artists, I know, they started off as the guy in the studio that no one really pays attention.
Speaker 1: To, that's running the pro tools, doing the effects.
Speaker 3: And like also, if you're a good engineer, you low key are doing some sort of production too on that fucking record face because you're you're you're dropping ship out your you're you might put some effects on some ship.
Speaker 1: Like, so that's dope. Like if you're an engineer out there.
Speaker 3: That's why I tell all my homies, like my my guy who runs my studio here, he's my engineer, but he's also a producer and songwriter.
Speaker 2: You gotta do both these days. You gotta do THEMN there three things these days just even cut through.
Speaker 1: You had to just bring value to the table man.
Speaker 3: Super value and be consistent for sure.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: So you were in the studio, So for you, like, were you was it like a thing where everyone knew you made beats? Or did you not want to like be the guy who's the engineer who's also hey, by the way, y'all, I got some here's that guy I was there, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: But you had some heat so there's a difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, oh this I'm the engineer that got some shit, you know what I mean. And it's like, oh, call him back tomorrow and call him back. You know, you can call me in an hour and I'm gonna be there in an hour, you know what I mean. It's not it's not no boozie shit, you know.
Speaker 3: What I mean. Is it like, because I would say that about Atlanta, is it feels like a much more I wouldn't say easy, but it feels like more of a community, you know, in terms of the music side, because being in LA, I feel like everybody's real like stingy with the connects, stingy with just everything with their energy. I feel like in Atlanta it feels like like I mean, I've gone to Atlanta studio sessions and everyone's just hanging out.
Speaker 1: Like people could just pull up like it.
Speaker 3: Do you do you feel that difference now that you're I'm sure you're going to LA sessions or you're in the mix more in different places.
Speaker 1: It's nothing like Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nothing like home. It's nothing like the South, you know what I mean. But especially Atlanta, that's a place where, like you you know, to embrace whoever's coming up, you know, to embrace Atlanta, you know, to fuck with the younger guys, you know what I mean, that's.
Speaker 4: Part of the culture.
Speaker 2: It wasn't until I started traveling that it was like, Oh, I'm not supposed to tell you, you know, like you know this guy or introduce you to get this guy. Is like, that's y'all. Don't do that type of shit. Like I do that shit all the time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's almost in the dna of that city to like like be on the because I mean, Atlanta's had the culture for twenty twenty five years now fact, so it's almost like it's the most Atlanta shit ever to break artists because eddy of the new shit's always coming out of the South. It's very seldomly it'll be out of New York or it'll be out of LA. So it's almost like that's kind of what y'all do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta make your stop in Atlanta. You gotta spend some months in Atlanta and run through those studios and see what they feel like.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like that's something Because we always have these conversations about LA artists not breaking through because there's some really dope, talented LA artists that for whatever reason, like get to a certain point and then they have a hard time kind of getting over the hill in terms of like maybe being hot in the South. Or do you feel like because like a guy like we got a homie Kaitlin for real, for real, who he went out to Atlanta for like a year and just cooked hung out with DJ's And I feel like that's important for anybody, Like you said, no matter where you're from, you could be from fucking Indianapolis, you could be from wherever you gotta go.
Speaker 1: Spend some time in the A.
Speaker 2: Yeah facts, I mean, I know Kaitlin too. Yeah, I mean I don't I don't know what it is, but you have to stop through there. It's like how LA used to be, you know what I mean, And everybody had to come to l A for some type of reason. You got to go to Atlanta to feel that culture. You got to I don't know what, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: You have some some wings the Blue Flame, for god.
Speaker 4: Sake, Yeah, some chicken or some ship.
Speaker 1: What's the strip club out there that I had? I had? They're playing they play some shitty music. They got good lamb.
Speaker 3: Chops cheetah yes, yeah, yes, yeah, that's the g T A THET. They got the nickelback playing yeah food good as a moff, like a Metallica nickel.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They that kind of updated it a little more, you know what I'm saying a little a little bit. But yeah, that's the place where you're going to eat at and throw one dollar at a.
Speaker 1: Time, one time. Yeah, you fold it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah there, GTA Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, you got your own holiday in Fulton County.
Speaker 3: Yep. Turbo Day Yep.
Speaker 1: That's gotta be fucking sweet man.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly what happens at like what we see that happening, but like what comes with that anything cool?
Speaker 2: I mean we're organizing right now the Turbo Day July eighth. It's just really like an opportunity for me to just do stuff for like the kids in the community.
Speaker 1: So you kind of turned into an opportunity to help the community.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean, give it give it an actual time and place instead of it, you know, me coming for a Memorial Day or something like that and trying to do something or compete so Thanksgiving, yeah, you know, turkey driving all that stuff.
Speaker 3: I did Turkey drives this year too, But with your day is like it came about.
Speaker 2: I was trying to do something for the community, but you needed like permits and all of this stuff to take over, like the parks and stuff down there.
Speaker 3: You can't just do it.
Speaker 2: And I got to working with the city and we just couldn't knock it out last year, and they gave me a day just for even trying and trying to really like make it happen because nobody does anything on that side, and that it.
Speaker 3: Just be easier to just do it this year.
Speaker 2: You know, I already know who the right people to call and how to organize everything.
Speaker 3: So it's it's for me.
Speaker 2: It's just a way to show the kids, this is something, This is what you do once you get to this place and inspire these kids because it was nobody that was doing that when I was young.
Speaker 3: What is for people who are watching this, maybe some kids who are watching this who are trying to figure out the production game? What is your layout? Are you using pro tools or using fruity loops? Like?
Speaker 1: What is your production interface? Your go to?
Speaker 3: That's some exclusive shit, but I'm gonna tell you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But I you.
Speaker 2: A number of things, so it could be a little bit of able ten for my melodies and into FL and I mix it in pro tools or reverse it. And you know, if we're going through the through the keyboards, I'm recording in pro tools and taking it to fl and cleaning it up and able to.
Speaker 3: But that's like usually my main.
Speaker 1: Three, those three.
Speaker 3: You know, it's crazy, Like I feel like more hip hop producers should use able to because I feel like they don't. Yeah, because Ableton, like it's hard to use.
Speaker 1: It's very intimidating when you open it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's the word.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But like I feel like because I've like, I got a homie of mine who uses Ableton, and he'll show me things you can do in able ten, And I'm like, why isn't everybody using this? This is crazy shit difficult to use. No, but it looks crazy because it looks different than like fruity loops or pro tools. It's like its own thing. And then they got that able to touch with all the buttons and shit, Yeah, it's difficult. It's difficult, but it's hard.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 3: What do you like?
Speaker 1: Do you are you like active looking for packs.
Speaker 3: In terms of your sounds and ship or you like having people send you packs or you getting loops?
Speaker 1: Are you doing like your own loops? Like give me you say packs?
Speaker 3: Like you got it? Like you're like where you get your drums? Are you finding your own drums? Are you are you grabbed? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Kinda like if it's like a certain time and I need a certain thing, I'll tweet it out and they're like, all the guys will send me something, yeah, and I go through them. But I got a programmer in Atlanta and he just keep me up to date with all the newest, newest ship.
Speaker 3: What about on the loop side, because that is an entry point for a lot of up andcoming producers. I'm stepping away from loops. I'm doing my own melodies.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's like the loop game is just became a fucking It's not the loop game anymore, you know what I mean. It's like a it's like a different place, and I feel like it's it's no originality in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for people who don't know, because it's some producer geeks to talk. Like, if you're an up and cooming producer, you might send out, Hey, I'm looking for some loops, right Yeah, And so that might be your way in if you got some or samples or loops, that could be your way into getting your first placement. And but then you got, like you said, the loop ship's getting so washed washed down because it's because it's all these free loops. What's the website called with all the fucking packs and Splice and there's all this shit. So it's like I always compared to like dj and Serato, like when Soerado came, like it made DJing so much easier, right, you didn't need to have these turn record and I feel like Splices like that with producers because like you really don't need to know how to make a beat. All you really got to do is just line up bars and like you could go on Splice and if you're at least like semi competent on pro tools, you can get it. You can get it.
Speaker 1: You can make a beat for sure.
Speaker 3: So it's like I've just noticed that like just so much more. I'm like, you know, we had an artist we were working with and this kid never made a beat before, and he downloaded a bunch of shit on Splice and he played a beat and I was like, hey, yo, who did this He's like I just did it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, you just did it. He's like it's the first beat IVE ever made.
Speaker 3: N Bake.
Speaker 1: I was like, this, shit is what's happening? Like, how is this possible?
Speaker 3: Like, because you know, when I was a kid, we had the funk Master Flex video game on a PlayStation two MTV Degenerate on the first PlayStation. You make beats on the PlayStation it was fire. Yeah, So there was this MTV beat making video game on the first PlayStation, and then there was a funk Flex beat making game on the PS two that was fire. Like you could like program beats on this fucking game. There was like actual like some producers who would like actually like run the PlayStation into like pro tools and take the beats.
Speaker 4: Out of it.
Speaker 1: Super fire.
Speaker 3: You used to check it out, but it just always seemed like this super complex process. But I feel like it's just been simplified so much, especially with like, you know, obviously rooty loop has been popular for twenty years now. But for you, is it like how hard is it for you to kind of stay inspired when there's just so much shit out there?
Speaker 2: Oh, just living a regular life, you know what I mean? Not putting too much pressure on myself. It's not It's not really hard because you know, back in the day when it was like all about bands and stuff like that, they literally would just sit around and jam out.
Speaker 3: It wasn't anything like, oh, we're gonna go and make a beat.
Speaker 2: And so I just try to live like a regular life and just enjoy my day.
Speaker 4: I always say that.
Speaker 3: If I have a good day, then it's just gonna pour out of me.
Speaker 2: I don't have to smoke and do all this weirdsh just like whatever whatever I'm feeling that day, and then I let it be.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be, and I go on to the next day.
Speaker 1: I hit that as getting toasted. Here these lights.
Speaker 2: You don't smoke, Yeah, smoke, I ain't even meant depend on't. It's not like it's not like, oh, I'm finna get high as a motherfucker to go and make music.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean. I can drip too hard beat.
Speaker 2: I made it on the computer speakers, you know what I mean, Like falling asleep from leaving the studio one morning and didn't think it was gonna do anything.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this, because your chemistry with Gunn is pretty crazy. We don't get a lot of you know, when I was growing up, we had producers and artists locked the fucking Riz and wan Claim the Bang Star, but DJ Premiere and Guru and but I feel like you guys are kind of your own version of that, and it's been it's been like that for a while. How did you initially meet Gunning? We found the same neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've known him for a very long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, was he?
Speaker 3: Because I always say, like between him and Baby over the last like six or seven years, just the like improvement at just bars and like actual rapping is like I don't I'll venture to say, we have never really seen somebody like jumps so far ahead at just the skill of rapping in a short amount of time. Did you always kind of see that in him?
Speaker 2: I think in the beginning it was just like any producer, you just want somebody to rap on your ship. So we was from the same side, We knew each other, we had mutual friends, and it was it was just easy and I knew it was something different. But I can't just say, you know.
Speaker 3: Because he's very different for people like like we're used to the sound now because everyone's taking it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, done their own version of what gun right, But.
Speaker 3: Like seven years ago, six years ago, five years ago, it wasn't the sound.
Speaker 1: Everybody was like what the fuck is this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like you really had to kind of be like, man, this is different. We just gonna roll with it, like yeah, I mean I make beads to spigure this out. It felt good, Yeah, you know what I mean. It wasn't It wasn't no pressure.
Speaker 2: And like you know, at that time, like nobody was doing guitars and I love the acoustic music, and he sounded good on guitars, and it just it just worked.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 2: It was like it was it was a natural thing. It wasn't anything that was for so even just seeing something different, the only thing I could see different was we're gonna stay in the studio the longest. Ethics gonna it matches, you know what I mean. He's not leaving before me. I'm not leaving before him. And it's damn there a competition. So early on, that's what we was doing, we leaving the studio seven in the morning and coming right back at twelve. To the point where, like especially those days right before it popped off, I really remember asking myself what am I doing this for?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I didn't have much success, but I'm like, bro, we really going to the studio and we in the studio all day.
Speaker 3: I don't got all this time and bandwidth into this and you don't even know if it's gonna work out. I don't even know what we're doing this for, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's like, what do we try?
Speaker 2: I know we're working on a project and it was Drip season three at the time, but you know, I didn't know why we was working so hard. And you know, I mixed Drip season three and the same night he was trying to record and I remember him telling me, like because I was pissed. I'm like, bro, I've been missing this fucking album all day. Bro, Like, what do you mean play some beats? I don't got no beats. I'm tired. I want to just chill, you know what I mean. And it's like, Bro, trust the process, bro, and uh, you know, you know, don't burn out and just place and beach.
Speaker 4: Just got to keep going. We fin to do it. And I'm like, he's crazy.
Speaker 3: Bro, But it really was the truth.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying and even comparing to like some of the producers I came in with, my trajectory has been way further, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like it's a lot of guys I came in with, but they have success, you know, goal success, Like you know, I'm not happy unless it's platinum, right, And that became.
Speaker 3: A normal thing. But it was all about.
Speaker 2: What we was putting into the music and how much time we were spending on it. So that was like that was like a good lesson that I was able to learn with him. You know what I mean, what is his writing process?
Speaker 4: Like it is it?
Speaker 3: Because you know, everybody's got their own. I mean I've been in the studio with guys with it just beat to play for like five minutes, ten minutes, and they'll just lay down a bunch of shit, but I like this part.
Speaker 1: I like this part, and then they'll put it.
Speaker 2: Together kind of. I mean, he got his own recording process. But it's it's not like a you know, pinning pad type of thing. It's like a player b if you feel good, pull it up, you're gonna do it and we're gonna do something else, you know what I mean. It's not really a this or that, and it's different every time.
Speaker 3: Have you had any because I saw an interview did not too long ago, because I thought it was dope how everything happened to way it happened, and you stood by your guy.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 1: Now you guys.
Speaker 3: Have a number one album, A lot of people saying album of the Year last year, snubbed for the Grammy, by.
Speaker 1: The way, insane, Yeah, snubbed.
Speaker 4: It happens.
Speaker 1: It's wild, Well it happened.
Speaker 3: But for you have like to kind of like be that loyal and still be like, yo, we're locked in because you were talking to him every day when he was locked up. I saw hasd Like were other relationships for you in the music industry affected by that?
Speaker 4: I don't know yet, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's not weird when I'm out and when I'm doing stuff, But I mean, I don't know yet.
Speaker 3: I always been.
Speaker 2: Like a person that just stay in the studio and keep to myself. So I was never chummy chum with people to the point to where I would notice like, oh, this guy's acting different, or this guy's acting different.
Speaker 1: You're not the guy who was like up in the mix, fucking You're You're about work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to your house party and shit every day and you know whatever, whatever people do. I enjoy being in the studio and just like working and learning new stuff.
Speaker 3: So I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 2: It's definitely, you know, something to think about when I'm moving around, But most of the time I forget, you know.
Speaker 3: Because it's it's nothing makes sense these days.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, for sure. I always tell people just like we don't even know what is really going right.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: I think nobody knows what's going on. So it's like you got to be a leader at get off the shade room, man, you know what I mean. For you, I always wonder I know you didn't make this beat, but I know you were very heavily a part of the process of this album. The fuck you mean beat was insane? Yeah, were you like when you first just heard that beat? That beat is so crazy and that sampling that beat just that had to be because I can only imagine, like, as a producer, you probably hear beat everyone's.
Speaker 1: Like, fuck I wish I made that one. Yeah for sure, and that had to be one of those.
Speaker 2: But he was kind of like hesitant about the song really oh yeah, super hesitant, like and I was like, bro, this is hard, Like you need to put this, put.
Speaker 4: This on it.
Speaker 2: He like you think so. I'm like yeah, cause we was locked in and I had to go back to Atlanta for like a week, two weeks or something like that, and came back and he had it done and he was playing me just like all the new stuff, and he played that, but he was damn there fin to skip over it, and I'm like, what's this. He played it and I'm like, yeah, this is hard, and he's like you think so. I'm like, bro, you need to put that in comparison to everything else. You need to put this out. Was like, all right, it's crazy. Yeah, dunk rock, that's that's my man. Doun'k been working for a long time for sure. He was sitting outside the studio in like twenty nineteen with a big ass sign.
Speaker 1: I remember that, Yeah, yeah that's the guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's me recording the video.
Speaker 1: Oh I remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that's that's dunk rock.
Speaker 2: Like he been grinding for a long own time, and like he would come to all the events, producer events in Atlanta and in La anywhere, so I've been seeing him for a long time, so when I found out that that was his beat, I was more so more exciting about it, like oh yeah, like oh this is this is broke. And then when it started taking office, like you know, I like to see that, bro like if you're working and you doing you grinding like stuff that's not normal, you're not begging and it works for you on that type of level, Like I was more so happy for him.
Speaker 1: That's super far. You're working on like a compilation type project.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, my album?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who else going to be on your album?
Speaker 2: Nobody will want to just confirm right now, you know how that shit go, you know.
Speaker 3: But it's definitely exciting.
Speaker 2: It's definitely something that you never heard of, and it's gonna put a put a pole inside the world of what my.
Speaker 3: Music sounded like. Okay, you know what I mean. Flag pole, flagpole. I was thinking it for Stripper pot first.
Speaker 4: Everything.
Speaker 3: We gotta leave it and go to the UH or obviously the Bauchler Records doing this thing, but like what is like, what, what's what's the plan when you're dropping more music?
Speaker 2: The bouncer or the Bachelor, The Bachelor, Yeah, Bachelor what's the plan?
Speaker 4: What it say?
Speaker 1: It's been the record's been out for like, when's the next record dropping?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, we're trying to drop like springtime and really like catch those spring going into summer months. It's gonna be something, you know, fun And I'm just trying to weigh it out right now.
Speaker 3: See what I want to use. My catalog is nuts at this point. You probably got like so many songs just sitting in there. So many ain't even the word, you know what I mean. It's like so many times time six, you know what I mean. But I just want to I just want to make it make sense at this point, like these days, that timing is everything. Outside of Gunner, who's another artist that you would love to do like a full body of work with because that's in again.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, I was just telling about Court. I'm like bro like back in the day, like it used to be one producer, right, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And that was like the NAS days and the nineties and all that, like it was well, well not Nas.
Speaker 1: It felt very curated.
Speaker 3: It felt very like even if you're not getting every like like you know, it felt like the albums were moving in.
Speaker 2: Sonically because it was one sound, yeah exactly, so like it we got to get back to that to that point. I would love to do that with a lot of different people. I work a lot of a lot with Roddy and I'm doing like his next project right now. Oh really, Yeah, how's it sounding because we're waiting incredible.
Speaker 3: Roddy's an alien people. People don't understand Roody's a fucking alien.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, he different.
Speaker 3: And it sucks because, like I feel like, please excuse me for being anti social. Came out in December of twenty nineteen, and then the Pandemic hits. The box is the biggest song in the fucking world, and like he really really wasn't able to like fully enjoy what that it's like with the world open.
Speaker 1: Like for real, Like I mean obviously he went on his tour right.
Speaker 3: Before the pandemic started, but like festival season was out for him, you know what I'm saying, the whole project, and you know he is for he's a literal anti social guy.
Speaker 1: Like he's an introvert. Like people think it's like a gimmick or something. It's not.
Speaker 2: No, we like one and the same. Like we talked he'll be telling me stuff. I'm like, bro, I do the exact same thing.
Speaker 1: He's an alien, Like he's so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's fired.
Speaker 1: So so you're handling a lot of his new projects.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'm helping him pick out all the songs and like do the track listing. So that's somebody I'm that like a good friend of mine, you know what I mean, We've been locked in for some years just on some some brother shit, just having conversations, not even about music.
Speaker 3: So with this is like I really want him to win. Yeah, me too, man. He's a great kid. Yeah, so that'd be hard for you. Man. I always say there's a few ways to go about the pub game, right, because it is a very interesting side of the game if you're an up and coming produce, Sir. Sometimes taking a pub deal to like too early could fuck you up, but sometimes taking it too soon can also help you out because they put you in a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of sessions and shit that might not have happened for you.
Speaker 3: Like, what would be the advice you would give in terms of how to navigate the pub world as a producer or a songwriter.
Speaker 2: I mean, I still got notes about the difference between co pub publishing and admin inside my phone to this day. Yeah, from just reading articles and teaching myself on what's the difference and being able to make a calculated decision. I didn't take a co pull up deal until like two years of success.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because for people who don't know, like an admin deal is very bare minimum. They're handling kind of they're administrating, Yeah, they're they're they're handling kind of the grunt work of your pub. A co pup deal they're fully partners on your publisher for either for perpetuity, which you shouldn't sign never or like a tenured period or whatever the period is.
Speaker 4: Years is too long, but whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, so there are differences for that. But like for you, like what what what made it make.
Speaker 1: Sense for you to do a co pub situation?
Speaker 4: Eventually the money, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And where I was at in my life and in my career, I had already.
Speaker 2: Did admin deal and was making money and it was cool and I was able to live, but it was my situation, you know what I mean, And when the opportunity came, it's like, all right, cool, we're gonna take this, you know what I mean. And from that, I was able to pay my grandmother's house off, take care of my mom, take care of myself. You know, all of these different things that I that I always dreamt to do. The opportunity came and I did it. So I say for anybody, like the young guys, the older guys or whatever it is, it's like, you gotta really understand what these things are first and then make a calculated decision because.
Speaker 1: There's not a one shoe fits all situation.
Speaker 3: Everything could be different for everybody, Like different situations might work for you wherever you're at life or yeah, vice versas something.
Speaker 2: So I always say, like just educate yourself, Like the more you know about it, the easier to be able to make a decision when somebody does come, because they always come.
Speaker 4: You get a big song.
Speaker 2: You're getting called from everybody, you know what I mean, And it's it's whatever it's gonna be, whoever you're comfortable with.
Speaker 4: But you gotta know what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna happen if you catch one, it's everybody's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you gotta you gotta know what you're doing.
Speaker 3: So what about for you, Like because IO notice some producers, once they get a lot more successful, your time, your bandwidth becomes like less available for making beats. How much of your time do you allocate to still actually like cooking up on the laptop or in the studio, Like.
Speaker 2: Bro, it's early as hell, I just left the studio. Yeah, you know what I'm saying at like six this morning. Wow, it's like a job.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't treat it like a job because I'm living my dream. But I still you know, I'm still a hustler. I'm still out here and going to the studios and going from place to place and you know, taking over the room and letting people know that I'm here and I'm available all.
Speaker 3: This different stuff. So I would say all my time, because some people feel like they get on they start popping and then they got little mini producers under them.
Speaker 2: Man, that was like but their tags on it, and it's like read the credits.
Speaker 1: You know, there's thirteen motherfuckers on this.
Speaker 4: You know, Oh my god, that's the worst, Bro.
Speaker 3: I mean, And some producers that's what they do and they don't deny that that's what they do.
Speaker 2: And I get it, you know, as I get more into this game, and understand what it's about.
Speaker 4: You know, I get it.
Speaker 2: So it's not no shade on nobody, But for me, it's like, you know, I look up to like the Quincy Joneses of the world, and you know, the Doctor Dre's the people that were if you was gonna do that, it was gonna sound incredible.
Speaker 1: And it was gonna sound like them, and it was gonna be.
Speaker 2: Their sound, right, you know what I mean. So you can't do that, and then you don't make a sound like Turbo has a sound. Turbo is a super producer. Turbo is like you know, you can it's like a for real beat and his thumb thumb. Everybody knows his sound without it even happen to be a tag on it. So if you're not doing that, then you're just cheating.
Speaker 3: I guess who's on your Mount Rushmore of producers all time hip hop, only hip hop, strictly hip hop.
Speaker 1: So take Quincy, you gotta take yourself off as well. You can't be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't even put myself on the Mount Rushmore. Yeah, four of them, four people, Timblin for sure, for sure, Timbling for sure. I would probably have to say it's not even probably Atoven.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 4: I love Atoven.
Speaker 2: That's huge fan of Atoven, Justice Lee, I love Justice Leg You're gonna have to put them all on one head.
Speaker 4: And then you said four more.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, damn you killing me? Only hip hop? Only hip hop doctor dre doctor Justice League so hard.
Speaker 4: Justice League is crazy, like all the raw shit.
Speaker 2: I always wanted to always compare like my Circle and the playmakers to like a mixture of Justice League because it's real music and it's real compositions, but like the trap sound.
Speaker 4: Of like eight Away my fear, that's fire.
Speaker 2: I always wanted to like, yeah, you know what I mean and make it into like.
Speaker 3: A thing because Justice League had like cinematic Yeah, like you'd be like huge songs.
Speaker 1: Sound like a fucking like a movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like a soundtrack.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like That's why I always say Ross always got the best beat.
Speaker 3: Oh I still listen to it today.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: Like Ross's ear for beats is like a fucking up there man all time.
Speaker 2: That's another That's another person I would love to work with, like on some whole project or just locked and ship Like I love Ross.
Speaker 3: Do you ever go on YouTube and type in your name type beats? Never have you ever had anything like where you've heard your ship like, because there's actual fucking fake metro booming beats out there, like with THEA on it and everything.
Speaker 1: Are there people bootlegging your beats?
Speaker 4: Of course?
Speaker 3: You know that happened, like where you're like someone will hit you up, like, yo, we have a song together.
Speaker 1: You'd be like, I didn't make.
Speaker 2: That beat, bro, this should pop up on my on my Spotify, you know what I mean. And it's like, you know, Turbo produced this and this. I've never heard of this guy or this song, you know, like however you do when you plug in the songs. I don't know how they do it, but yeah, that happens all the time. And people call me and say, yeah, I got this pack from such and such from you.
Speaker 3: Uh, and I don't know if it's real or.
Speaker 4: Not, you know what I mean. And it's like, well, you got to pack from who?
Speaker 1: So if it pops up on your Spotify, how do you take care of that? You just you just have a call ag Hey, call Spotify. Get this shit taken down?
Speaker 4: Do you think you know what I'm saying this?
Speaker 3: It ain't right because I was talking I was talking to the South side, and I was like, bro, do you know how many struggle rappers in my life for the last ten to twelve years have come to me and said that they got eight Away Mafia beats dogs? Oh? And he was like, I know, because the thing about the eight Away Mafia is there's like a lot of affiliates and the take that tag and then dog like, Bro, I got the tag.
Speaker 1: Everybody know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Everybody has a tag like you know what I'm saying. This was a thing in a producer community.
Speaker 1: He's like, yo, yo, who you got on the app? Man?
Speaker 3: We got eight Away made away right right? And be cushking.
Speaker 1: That shit's so funny.
Speaker 3: I should frustrate the hell out of me because you got such an iconic tag.
Speaker 1: Like, man, you just can't put that shit on anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't just But I mean, like like I said, it's not always about the tag because you also know when you when you hear Bachelor, it's like his first five seconds.
Speaker 3: As soon as it comes on, you're like, what is this? Who is this?
Speaker 2: So I always try to get that wow factor. It's not that then it's not a turbo beat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What was it like being in the studio with Savage and Metro Boom and working like just recording that project. Bro, Metro is a dog. Bro, he been a dog, you know what I'm saying. Since and you're just like forever running pro tools the whole time.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, that shits so far.
Speaker 2: I'm telling him, like I got beats, you know what I'm saying. Like, but you know they ain't really he was out. He wasn't really listening at that time. But just to see on work and see how it went like it was dope. And then see the success that came from it, that was super dope. Just to watch the whole process. But yeah, I think it's like a Vice show that came out, like Welcome to Atlanta or Atlanta Music or something.
Speaker 1: I remember that I watched that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they went and saw the Migos tutoring that time when they was when it was doing the Savage sessions.
Speaker 4: I was in all of those, just sitting in the back.
Speaker 2: So it's for me at that time, it was like being able to see it at like one of the highest levels on some modern shit, not on some like you know, old school, old school shit, you know what I mean. So it was it was definitely dope. It definitely helped me change the way I thought about things, and like how much time and energy I was gonna put into it?
Speaker 4: And you know, I just took that and ran with it.
Speaker 3: How inspiring is it for you to be someone who's working on your debut album as a producer and then you see metro boom and put out heroes and villains and it's like, to me, the best version of that that's ever been done ever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 3: Don't think any compilation album a shout out to Calend.
Speaker 1: I love Calend, shout to everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody who's ever done that has ever done it even close to that, to that level. Yeah, it's cohesive. It's just it's like a perfect album.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, and and to be able to watch it first hand and see how much time he put into it.
Speaker 3: And you feel that when you hear it, you're like, oh, this wasn't just like let me just get the hottest motherfuckers, throw them all together, nah and put out a project. No, this felt like blood sweating tears right right right right. I mean it's it's I can speak for every producer out there, it's like super inspirational It's one of the reasons why I'm not getting frustrated with my album.
Speaker 4: And continuing to do it. But trust the process. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I watched him like do this for two or three years, and then when it came out, it was like, oh wow, this is what you was doing all this time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's amazing bodywork. Hopefully get you said springtime drop more music?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like once it starts getting like March, sometimes we're gonna drop the next single and just see how it feels about the album. But I'm working on so many projects right now. I'm not in a super rush.
Speaker 3: How close is the roddy shit from being done? I don't know if you want me to announce it with it's coming though. It's coming like a freight train. Okay, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: It's hardest fun, you know what I'm saying, Like for lack of a bitter terms. So yeah, I'm excited about that for real and just to see him go up for real.
Speaker 1: For sure me too.
Speaker 3: Man. Well, look, I appreciate you pulling up go stream your single Bachelor It's out now, I mean shit, man, congrats on all success.
Speaker 1: Thank you, bro, my guy Turbo Bo Fire