Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This he's Talking Cowboys, screaming live from the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in frisco Stown.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: It's a Talking Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. As we welcome you into week eight of the NFL seasons. Crazy that we're two months into this bad boy and there's plenty to talk about. Man, we've got some reaction around the NFL in Week seven, the cow Boys were off, but certainly things that you can look at and learn from. Uh, the Cowboys of course making some roster moves. We'll get to all of that. Jerry Jones was just on one O five through the fan a couple of moments ago, and so we'll kind of react to that as well. But before we get anywhere, you know, you're muted. But other than that, Wow, what a start, yeah, oh for oh, for one.
Speaker 5: It's almost like Michael Pennox's start against Arizona.
Speaker 2: You'm talking about the guy who's winning the Heisman candidate.
Speaker 6: Right in week nine, you don't win, you don't win. Huysmans in week nine.
Speaker 2: Bars leading the leading. That was weird.
Speaker 4: That was like quista. I don't know, for those of you listening to this, you just missed out on Isaiah laughing without his lap, like his lips moving at all.
Speaker 2: It was it.
Speaker 4: So, No, we're not talking about Michael Pennocks. To me, he's great, though. We're talking about your Texas Rangers. And I know there's a mixture of there's cowboys fans everywhere. There are Cowboys fans that are fans of the Astros. There are cowboys fans that are fans of the Phillies or the Diamondbacks or wherever. But Rangers fans have something to cheer about today. I'm not going to talk about it for very long.
Speaker 2: Just the fact that they are going to the World Series. And I'm very excited. Yeah that's it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, very excited.
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm eleven again when they made it last Yeah, it was very fun.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's all we're gonna say. Going to the World Series.
Speaker 2: Decisive win too. Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 4: That was a lot of fun. It was very satisfying. I wish I thought about it. I wish we had a thing already last night, me and the wife feet and so we took care of that and then had to go back over. We watched it at the Inlass house and it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Went to her mom's house and had a good time.
Speaker 4: But man, yeah, Rangers get it done. But I kind of want to relay it back to the Cowboys because there's the there's that frustration I think with Cowboys fans or crossover fans right now, with the fact that all the Rangers can get there.
Speaker 2: The Stars were.
Speaker 4: In the Stanley Cup Final not too long ago. They've made these deep playoff runs and then you're getting to the point where the trade deadline is on the horizon and you want a team.
Speaker 2: To go all in.
Speaker 4: The Rangers went all in. They went and got a guy like Max Schurzer, who started Game seven late in the trade process, to go and find some reinforcements.
Speaker 2: That's kind of where we're at right now.
Speaker 4: Before we get the news and notes, I'll ask you, guys, would you rather the Cowboys based off of what you've seen in the first six games. Would you rather than be aggressive, Isaiah, or would you rather than maybe take the conservative approach to the twenty twenty three.
Speaker 7: You know who you're asking this question. I'm just asking aggressive. You play every year to win the Super Bowl. You don't play to position yourself for a Super Bowl run three years down the road. You play every year to win a Super Bowl. And it's I have applauded the front office this year for being more aggressive than they've been in recent years. This year they went out and they got Gilmour. This year they went out and got be Cooks, right, they did those things last year. You know, they recognized they had a whole They went out and got Jonathan Hankins all those key elements, and to their success to date, continue that like keep that energy right. Like there are other teams that we're not gonna mention that have historically been aggressive, and almost every team that we could think about that has been aggressive has positioned themselves for a run that year.
Speaker 2: Some of those teams have actually succeeded.
Speaker 7: In those runs. Going to the Super Bowl not necessarily win it all the time, and at.
Speaker 2: Least you're in a position to win it. Some of them have actually won the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Either way, you put yourself where you need to be every year.
Speaker 7: And I think that Dallas is in another position where they can do the same thing. And I would like my request early Christmas requests. Okay, all right, you don't know, we're a couple months.
Speaker 4: Out, Okay, but my early wishes out there.
Speaker 7: Put my wish out there now, okay, is that they go out and be uber aggressive. I'm talking ya, ask for the things that nobody would even remotely even think to ask for, because guess what the answer is always.
Speaker 2: What the answers always know. If you don't ask it, yep, right, shoot or shoot? You can't score if you don't shoot, just.
Speaker 8: Saying I can't.
Speaker 9: If you made this a poll question amongst Cowboys fans, I would be stunned if there was more than one percent that said to be conservative and stan Pat, I mean twenty seven years without getting to a Super Bowl. Forget what the other teams are doing in the league, in the city, I mean, now is the time. And then with the team that they have built right here, you can see where there's just years where not just with the Cowboys but pro sports teams in general, where you're like, why would you go make that move that's not doing anything for that team? You guys aren't even close. Yeah, Like one potential move could be the thing that you look back at in February and go, man, remember that thing.
Speaker 8: Remember when they made that move?
Speaker 9: Maybe, man, that was such a difference maker right there that helped put them over the top, whether it be because of the way the player played on the field or the way they were behind the scene in the locker room bring in an experience things like that. I would be stunned if anybody would say that they don't want them to be aggressive right now. Now, with that being said, the only caveat I will put into that is that you don't want to do anything that would be so big that it prevents you from financially down the road impacting anything that you can do with like a Micah Parsons or a CD Lamb. But as long as it doesn't do that, as long as it's something where That's why a lot of times they're in the trade deadline. People look at guys with contracts that are on maybe their final year. They only have because then it's not going too far in advance. You know, I don't see them doing something that would you know, sacrifice or I shouldn't say sacrifice, but impact anything on that level. But everything should be on the table. And I did find it interesting how Jerry said this morning about how most of the deals are going to come from people calling you, because if you call them, they know you're interested, and you're just not going to get a good price, you know. Like, and I get what he's saying to a certain extent. He didn't say it this way, but it's like, well, you know, you call a team and you ask for this defensive tackle and they're just like, oh, they're interested, yeah, we need two ones from that whatever. Whereas if another team calls you about a defensive tackle on their team, that you're like, well, he's not as good as this guy, and all they want is it too right now, Like we got to take this like.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 9: So I do understand where he's coming from, And I also understand when I say that that fans don't want to hear that.
Speaker 5: Yeah it's the businessman, and I'm right. I think there was a lot of tactical dialogue that went into his hit on the fan this morning. Those are my first news and note, but I'll touch on this right quick. Aggressive that that's what they have to be. I think we all agree on that. You look at the Eagles and the moves that they've made over the course of the last couple of years, and it could be this week Kevin Billard going out and getting him and realizing that you made a mistake with CJ. Gardner Johnson and letting him walk, and okay, you accepted that. Well, you bring in a guy to fill that hole, and you fill that hole in the secondary. You look at how aggressive they were and getting DeAndre Swift and AJ Brown and Jalen Carter even getting up to nine to go get him.
Speaker 2: If you break it, you buy it. Isaiah True guys names, Okay.
Speaker 4: Beams in the back, like hang it freaking right now.
Speaker 5: But when you look at that aggression in the division, right and you you want to match that because that's not only the standard in the division, but that's the standard in the NFC, and the way the last couple of weeks have shaken out, I think that's also the way the entire NFL is kind of being standardized right now. Is the Philadelphia Eagles all.
Speaker 9: That real quick I was also going to say, it's not like there's like a really obvious team right now that you point to and go, man, look how aggressive that team is, and they just keep swinging and missing.
Speaker 8: Like when you look at a lot of those really aggressive.
Speaker 7: One team, there's only one team that's been uber aggressive, and not even just this year, and it's the Chargers. The Chargers was it last year to year before they went out there were uber aggressive. They solidified their defense, they got everybody, they got that bad.
Speaker 2: They got it.
Speaker 7: I mean, they got the secondary, they got everybody right, and you were like, oh crap, here they go. And they're the only team that's been aggressive like that and has not had the success.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: But every other team forty nine Ers success, Philly success, Rams success, every.
Speaker 2: Single team that we can mention has been uber Aggressivecaneers.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm just saying the buzz right, all of them, all of them have been successful except for the Charters.
Speaker 9: Well, the other thing that has to be factored in with this too, that I think really annoys the fans side of it is that I would say, whether you're talking Cowboys fans, NFL fans, or sports fans, like there's one thing that they all know about the Cowboys, and that's Jerry Jones and his persona is this wildcatter makes all these big time crazy things that sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but when it comes to the football team, they don't see that. And that's one of the biggest questions that's not just with your fan base, but around sports that are just kind of like this seems like a move, like for example, like some of the moves that you mentioned with the Eagles and then also San Francisco stuff like that, those are the type of moves that you're that you think that the Cowboys are always making, you know, and instead the Cowboys make a lot of they make a lot of calculated moves.
Speaker 8: You know, they don't there isn't a.
Speaker 9: Lot of swing for the fences things like that, And I think a lot of times it comes from maybe one didn't work out, so it's like we're not going to do this again type thing. I'm not sure, but I just I find it interesting that that is the that is the reputation, is that Jerry will do anything he needs. But then they sit there and they're also kind of like, well, why didn't they why haven't they made it? One of these aggressive moves.
Speaker 5: You know, you guys would probably be able to answer this a little bit better than I could. When was the last time that the Cowboys went out and made a mid season acquisition that just blew you away? I'm talking like von Miller to the Rams that that mid season Mark Coop Cooper.
Speaker 2: Mark Cooper, that's the one.
Speaker 4: I mean, round one pick, sent it for sure to Oakland at the time, almost said Las Vegas, but it was still in Oakland whenever he was there. So that's the last time it happened. And I don't know if that played a huge factor in the fact that they won't do anything or they haven't done anything.
Speaker 2: Like that since then.
Speaker 4: But they really didn't like going in that twenty nineteen draft without a first round pick. They hated the fact that they did not have a first round pick. In the twenty nineteen draft. They took Tristan Hill in the second round and it didn't work out the way that it wanted to from a second round pick there as well.
Speaker 5: Well, let's say a Mariy Cooper helps them run to a Super Bowl? Do you think they then I.
Speaker 2: Think they feel better.
Speaker 4: But in the end, that didn't happen. They didn't get to an NFC championship game. They were aggressive, they went out there, and they got it done. I think this roster is just as good, if not better, even with some of the injuries that they've had, as that roster was going into it, I think this roster is in a similar situation. Yeah, I think it would have been better if Trayvon Diggs was available, if Laton vander esh was fully healthy, if you felt better about your offensive line. I still think they would be in a better situation as this team is made up here in Week eight of the twenty twenty three season than even that team was before they went and traded for Amari Cooper. But I think the other thing that factors into it, and John kind of alluded to this a moment ago, but the way that the NFL has kind of shifted these last two weeks. This last two weeks have been very interesting because you got the Cowboys getting blown out by the forty nine ers in Week five, and that was a big benchmark moment for the entire league saying, wow, forty nine ers are it? That team is legitimate, They're almost unstoppable.
Speaker 2: Boom. They've lost two straight games.
Speaker 4: The Eagles fell to a not so good Browns team with a backup quarterback, a backup running back and tons of injuries as well.
Speaker 2: Or what no, that was who beat San Francisco? Excuse me?
Speaker 4: Philadelphia lost a week before they won last week. But in the end, the NFC good teams but still wide open. Are you on the same echelon right now as the Cowboys or are the Cowboys on that same echelon as Philadelphia as San Francisco? I don't think you can say that, But you can't say that the NFC is wide open and any team can win in any given week right now. Well, and that makes me want to be more aggressive, that makes me want to shure up some of the problems.
Speaker 2: So that way you can argue that you're in that echelon.
Speaker 8: Yeah, don't.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't put them in with the Niners and Eagles right now. But fortunately for the Cowboys, in two weeks you'll get to find out. You know, you can go out there and play the Eagles and have your best game of the season, and maybe that'll show that you do beloe in that in that echelon. But right now I wouldn't put them there. I would put the Eagles, uh number one, Niners two, and then there's a little bit of a drop off, and then that's when you get to probably the Cowboys and the Lions.
Speaker 2: Do you think that that's an interesting conversation.
Speaker 4: Do you think the Cowboys are even there with the Lions?
Speaker 2: I know you'll.
Speaker 10: Get the Sunday Yeah, and the penultimate to get their doors going off by the Ravens way they did.
Speaker 9: The Lions said, yeah, you think if they would have played a tight game against the Ravens, I might have felt differently, But delay that egg the way they did that was worse than the Cowboys loss than Niners as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fair. I mean that was not what was it thirty eight to six the final, and it.
Speaker 9: Was difficult to even get that six. Yeah, Lamar Jackson looked like the greatest football player ever.
Speaker 2: He's falling.
Speaker 10: He might be falling, He's not, definitely not, But no, that guy in that game, that guy plays for the University of Washington, right right right, best player in football really quick.
Speaker 5: On that same point, Jerry Jones said on the fan this morning talking about that upper echelon conversation, he said, we belong in the upper echelons. I'm not going to say we belong on the field with san Fran and we haven't played Philly, so I don't want to go that far. But we're in the upper echelon. So they're in the upper echelon, but yet they're not on the same field as san Fran.
Speaker 6: I don't know, you take that.
Speaker 8: There's an upper upper uchelon.
Speaker 6: Also.
Speaker 9: The other thing with those two teams too that I find interesting is like going back to the whole Eagles, how aggressive they've done. It's not like they've hit on everything and they've overcome it. You know, they gave the big contract to Carson Wentz and found a way to, hey, let's overcome this.
Speaker 8: It sucks, but we're going to make some tough moves.
Speaker 9: And they're gonna have to make some tough moves going forward now that they gave the big contract to Jalen Hurts. Their offensive lines obviously not getting any younger, and that's been a huge part of their team. It looks like it's in its prime right now, but they're going to have to keep making those But you look at the way that they're doing things and you're just like, you're pretty confident that they're going to be able to find ways that if they don't get it in the draft, because I don't think there's any arguing the Cowboys draft better than the Eagles. The Eagles fill in their holes when they need to, very aggressively.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean you could say the same thing about San Francisco. San Francisco has traded all these first round picks. They've given it up ball all these different assets along the way to go get a Trey Lance who's on this roster now, and you go and you pay the money to Jimmy Garoppolo and he's not even on the roster anymore, and now you're playing. You get lucky and you got a guy like Brock Purty who turns into being Brock Purty as opposed to being just mister irrelevant. But there's a lot of things that that have to go right for you to be in the current situation. But Isaiah, you can also make things go right for you if you really want to and just push that direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's two there's two position groups. Two guys.
Speaker 7: I can't say names because obviously they're on rosters and we don't want tampering. But there are two positions I'll say that, I would say that, I.
Speaker 2: Would you not doing that. I'm not doing that, right.
Speaker 7: There is a actually there's two defensive linement one of them probably not accessible, neither of them probably accessible. But there's two defensive defensive linment that I would go gung ho for. Okay, interior defensive linment that are just complete dominant guys that you could put next to john Than Hankins that I feel would completely negate team's abilities to run the ball against you. They're doing a good job of stopping teams from running the ball against them. But let's let's not be fool like. If something happened to Jonathan Hankins, you're gonna be with the bubble guts, Okay.
Speaker 8: Not wishing that all your first round pick has a step up.
Speaker 2: So he's not ready yet, Okay.
Speaker 7: I think he will be a good player, but currently, right now, he's not ready to make an impact on this team.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: So that's not to say anything about his future, it's just where he is currently, and a lot of people don't have the patience for that because of where he was drafted. He's still a human being, Okay, so give him time and hopefully he'll be the impact player, but let's not count on that this year.
Speaker 2: So I think there's somebody there.
Speaker 7: There's a handful of guys that I will go after on the interior defensive line, and there is a running.
Speaker 2: Back that I would go after with a lot. I wouldn't give up a first. Wouldn't give up a first.
Speaker 4: Would you would you pay kings ransom for him to go and get him?
Speaker 2: Not a guy the King's ransom, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Would you would you pay this much to this mysterious running back or would you rather go get fourte.
Speaker 7: I would pay for this running back because my thing is teams have to fear you. They have to fear attacking something, and then you have to affirm their fear. So right now, I don't think offensively teams fear anything from the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Maybe CD's the dude, I mean, I understand, but you don't look at the numbers.
Speaker 7: You don't fear him because he's not doing anything over the top, right, He's getting things underneath. He's making some plays, right, and because accumulation of me, I mean, yeah about seven eight catches? Okay, yeah, you're gonna get that, okay, But I'm talking about splash plays.
Speaker 2: Like there's nothing that you fear right now from this offense.
Speaker 7: So I think if you added this particular person to that running back room, I think it would alleviate the burden that Tony Poller is carrying right now, and I think it would actually improve his game, as we've seen in past years, when he has somebody that he can play off of, because I don't, I honestly don't think he's a one man, one man band. I just don't. Okay, that's there's no knock on him. I just think that he needs another dog out there, and.
Speaker 2: Most teams do. Most teams have a two headed monster.
Speaker 7: There's very few teams that have one guy that's like the main the main guy out there.
Speaker 9: So it would be surprising if they made that move. It would because of the position.
Speaker 2: I get it. But what does this offense have to be able to do?
Speaker 8: Oh, they have to be able to run the way, They have to.
Speaker 7: Be able to run a ball. This is not a throwd around type of team. So knowing that that's one thing that you have to do, I think that you need to have somebody to back there that team's fear. So that's the on the offensive side. On the defense side, again, I want to interior defense lineman. That's not to say that there aren't other position groups that need to be addressed.
Speaker 4: I'm interested, Yeah, I'm intrigued to the fact that you you left out offensive line, wide receiver.
Speaker 2: I don't think because line, because the.
Speaker 7: Reality is nobody's trading an offensive lineman at this time of day.
Speaker 2: That's not I think that's probably the toughest one to go get.
Speaker 4: So you know, it would be the toughest to fit in too, because you feel good about your starting five.
Speaker 7: Let's got to figure it out. The depth they's gotta figure out. So offensive line is not happening this time of the year. You can go out there and make a splash play on a corner. But honestly, there's a handful of corners that I would consider our shut down corners, and they're just not They're just not there any any longer. And most teams that have a shut down corner aren't getting rid of them now. So so I mean that's those are just positions that you just don't come by. So there's two position groups, two guys that I will go after and that's the impact you guys.
Speaker 2: Trade for a wide out.
Speaker 4: You think a whiteout would help, Nope, because you.
Speaker 2: Can't find a way to get the white out the ball. Now, Okay, it's.
Speaker 6: Fair, it's very fair.
Speaker 4: I mean that's part of it.
Speaker 6: Focus on getting ball to Brandon Cooks.
Speaker 7: First.
Speaker 2: I'm about if you if you plug a dog.
Speaker 7: And that's not to say Osahiggie Zoo is doing a heck of a job, but I'm talking about somebody that you'd like. M Yeah, I just don't want to run against that. Like there's just right now against the Philadelphia Eagles. You don't feel good about running the ball against their D line because any given time you're looking on the sideline and saying, Okay, once I get these guys out, who's over there? Well, you got Jalen Carter, Carter, you got Fletcher Cox sitting over there, you got you got all these branding Grahams over there, just chilling waiting for the playoffs to come. So you can show out like you got all these guys sitting on the sideline, just like, let me go, let me go, let me go, let me have the cage. And that's I don't think you have that in the interior defensive line.
Speaker 9: When my argument would be that on the defensive line, defensive tackles that you're talking about, which you've never you haven't told me the names before the show, you haven't set them during the show. So I'm just thinking of who we have not even discussed this, but insists in my head. And the people I'm thinking of, I think of them as the same as those shutdown corners that I don't really think that teams are letting those guys go. And so those are on your upper echelon, and then the group that you probably can get a defensive tackle. I wonder how much better those guys are than what you already had.
Speaker 7: I hear you, and I agree with you, But my whole thing is shoot or shoot yeah, shoot your shot. You're probably going to get a no yeah, but at least open a conversation because these teams that I'm talking about, these are teams that are in rebuild phase right.
Speaker 9: Now right But the problem is that what they're gonna want from you is none of your players. They're gonna want your top picks right here, and you're gonna need your top picks because you have to go and spend most of your salary cap on your franchise quarterback, your elite edge rusher.
Speaker 2: Go to the future again though, here we go to the future. I hear you, I hear you.
Speaker 7: But this has been the reoccurring issue for Dallas over the years. Yeah, we've got to be able to keep these things because we need to be able to build it for the future.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, And you're talking about what they should do. I'm just talking about from covering the team what I think.
Speaker 7: I know not with you, and I don't disagree with you, but I'm saying that's what they continue to fall into.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right, it's like I have to keep I gotta keep this. I need this. I'm not using it really.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 9: It's a difference too, is that he's Howie Roseman and he's the GM and if he doesn't do well and he swings right now, well he's out of a job.
Speaker 8: Here it's different than that.
Speaker 9: And here, like as I've always thought about that, because that's such a big question when you cover the Dallas Cowboys, is Hey, you know, even people that don't follow the team like I would just went home for the bye week to Michigan and it was around a bunch of friends that you know, they'll ask you playing how come they can't get over the top, and you know, all this stuff like that and everything, and what do you think about Jerry really as a GM and stuff like that, And I'm like, the difference is is that he's never going to be replaced, so the way that he looks at it is gonna be different than someone like I need to make a splash right now. Like that person can get fired if it doesn't work, don't get me wrong, Like like Isaiah could be in charge and he can get fired for making this decision, but they also could win the whole thing, and he could be looked at as the savior of the whole thing and be there like, you know, but I even look at the Howie Roseman thing was, We're like, there's time since twenty seventeen where I've seen their fan base like rip him and talk about like how this just is in the answer whatever, And You're just kind of looking. You're like, you have one of the best run teams in the league, and so there are those ups and downs when you have somebody hired for that position as opposed to when the owner does it and but you have to look at the evidence and say, twenty seven years without getting there, maybe right.
Speaker 2: Like what's the downside?
Speaker 5: Honestly, you potentially lose something on your future, But yeah, you take that.
Speaker 8: That would be.
Speaker 2: Like what's the real downside?
Speaker 6: It depends on what you're getting in return.
Speaker 5: But if the return is what it has been for Philly, what it was for the Rams in their Super Bowl year, what it was for the Buccaneers, then yeah you take that.
Speaker 6: Yeah you take that ten times out of table.
Speaker 2: Those guys walked away with rings.
Speaker 5: Yeah they they got Okay, just make sure that's what If you can walk away with that, then anything's worth it at this point. And I think Jerry would tell you the same, I really do. It's business tactics on the fan this morning. I'd be I'd be surprised they don't make a move with the deadline.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it would be too.
Speaker 4: So do you think they will make a move because I think I think they will make a movie.
Speaker 7: I don't think it's going to be the splash right that I'm looking for that I think this team needs.
Speaker 4: I think I'm leaning toward Nick saying it was it was more so a a negotiation tactic. It was a businessman move on the one O five three the fans side this morning. I think they will make a splash.
Speaker 2: You think it would be a splash.
Speaker 4: I think they I think they may make a splash.
Speaker 2: Can quick question?
Speaker 6: Quick question one deten splash.
Speaker 4: Like a screwdriver like happening.
Speaker 2: That's what splash?
Speaker 6: One to ten splash Meeter, what are we thinking? Like what we seven?
Speaker 5: Okay, but like von Miller to the Rams a few years back.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah that would be a good representation. Good seven Yeah, give me like a seven? What I think is going to happen? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, what do you think is going to happen?
Speaker 2: Four and a half? Four and a half.
Speaker 8: Oh he's hired me as I say four?
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, Well here I'll use an exact example.
Speaker 2: I want an uncomfortable move. I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I'm something as like, oh crap, like I don't care who's in that position you're sitting down?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you just want stress?
Speaker 7: Is I want teams to I want first for first of all, I want you to bring somebody in that's so freaking dominant that everybody in that position group has to elevate their game. And I want somebody. I want somebody so dominant that other teams are like, oh, okay, they're not playing. Yeah, they're not playing, because that's what you've seen from your from your biggest rivals over the past few years.
Speaker 2: I'm not playing.
Speaker 5: I know we have to go to break backer. Yeah, linebacker, anything there.
Speaker 4: Uh, maybe I would like to trade for a linebacker, but I don't know about who's out there.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take our first break.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we're gonna have a two minute segment, and then we're gonna take your phone calls eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. We are taking your text messages as well. On the Cowboys podcast text line. We've already got a couple of them rolling in. Go ahead and shoot in those text messages. Get on the phone lines eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 12: Right after this, Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savannah. I believe the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 13: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 14: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, so it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Riflecoffee dot Com to fuel up.
Speaker 4: Today, Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Hey, let's roll back the table.
Speaker 11: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys, And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking app.
Speaker 4: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 11: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking every tay.
Speaker 4: It's only available in the Elis language. You must download the latest version of the Mobile Banking app, only available on SELEC mobile devices. Message dat rags apply number FDIC.
Speaker 15: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 9: Would you, Dear Doctor, My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 2: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being.
Speaker 16: The soldier to cry out?
Speaker 15: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do now, just to remind her that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by in Visi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome back into a talking Tuesday eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. We've got some I love this text message. This is from the seven oh two. Since I'm not part of the organization, I can save the name Isaiah Camp. In terms of running back. Uh, this fan specifically not part of the organization, is wanting Dereck Henry, and he says, I agree.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's who you were referencing.
Speaker 4: We're gonna we're gonna leave it at that. I don't know if that's who you were referencing, but that's who this fan wants, Derek Henry at.
Speaker 2: The running back position. We appreciate your infult. Yeah, thank you for all the help there.
Speaker 4: Uh back here with John Michoda, Nick Harris, Isaiah standback.
Speaker 2: I'm Kyle Yeoman's glad you're with us.
Speaker 4: Did the Cowboys win the bye week is another question we have on here from the six h nine. Did they win the bye week? Did they get healthy, stay out of trouble? I mean, you see Chris o'lave last night. That's some interesting news.
Speaker 2: Out of New Orleans.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's going to really change a whole lot from there. He got arrested for reckless driving. Yeah, yeah, but hey stayed out of the news, as Nate Newton likes to say, and that's apparently the case. Nick, based off of being around the team and kind of seeing some of the guys throughout the week. Did you feel like the Cowboys won the bye week?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 5: When everything's quiet for a week, it's it's a really good thing. And yeah, I would say so, especially whenever you factor in everything that happened in the NFL over the weekend. You know, other than Philly beating Miami, I think every other result worked in your favor. You got the Niners losing, you got the Lions losing, you got the Falcons that are taking over the NFC South now, which if you have to go on the road in the playoffs as a top wildcard, that's.
Speaker 6: Probably an ideal place to go in the first round.
Speaker 5: So yeah, there was a lot of things that played into their favor in the NFC, and they stayed out of trouble, and they were all back on the practice field on Monday, or not on the practice field, back in the building on Monday, and Mike McCarthy said yesterday that there's no real big concerns with anybody on the fifty three men ross right now as far as injuries go. So I would say yes, most definitely, big time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: The only way it would have been better is if the Eagles would have lost, or if they would have made some type of a notable trade, and then I would say, yeah, they absolutely won or they absolutely won their bye week. But outside of that, getting some guys back healthy, nobody, as you mentioned, getting in trouble, those are those are huge things during the bye So yeah, they should be pretty happy about that.
Speaker 2: What do you think.
Speaker 7: I think, yes, I kind of piggyback off what Nick said. I think, you know, the teams that you wanted to lose loss, Philadelphia didn't lose, but the Miami exposed some things that you probably can can utilize. And next week the Rams lost. You know, that's that's your next opponent. I think all good things.
Speaker 4: All good things in the bye week. Yeah, all right, now we're going to take our second break. I told you we were only going to do a two minute break, and then we're going to break again.
Speaker 2: And we're going to take calls for the rest of the segment. The rest of the show.
Speaker 4: We're taking your calls eight eight eight eight five to five two two nine seven. We'll be back with more talking Cowboys right after this.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 14: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the coffee club today.
Speaker 4: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 12: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per ho. But the good news is Todd has at and t five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beefs do AT and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 13: Five G requires compatable planing device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys back here on Talking Cowboys on a Talking Tuesday. This segment is brought to you by I was already said in vis Align. It's Quakeer Oats presented by a Quaker Oats, A super trusted, A super trusted.
Speaker 2: What superfood man?
Speaker 4: There you go, super trusted, superfood Quakeer Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: You don't you don't like doing the reads? Do you list? You pay you the big buck? No, they don't, They really don't. Doesn't contract your call? Okay, whatever, I don't have a I should have you do the reads from now on.
Speaker 9: Why don't you guys just both your salaries and let me and Nick break it down.
Speaker 2: Salaries. That's how you know he has salaries. Now, I'm a contractor like you, sir.
Speaker 4: We're all here, we're here.
Speaker 2: That's all the matter.
Speaker 5: I did just find out that there's an official taco the Dallas Cowboys yesterday.
Speaker 6: They have everything. Get out of here. Please, let's go to our calls.
Speaker 9: No, no, let's go back and forth to see if they see how many Kyle can guess.
Speaker 2: Like all of them? I probably got them all.
Speaker 5: He has like a quizlet that he memorized at the station. It's got to be seven and eleven.
Speaker 2: It used to be, but it's not anymore anymore. They're not paying for that.
Speaker 4: No, not anymore.
Speaker 2: It used to be seven eleven. But yeah, you retract that statement. Yeah, there's a lot of them.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to one of our the official talking Cowboys fans. How about that Talking Cowboys fans in Florida? How about this?
Speaker 17: Dan?
Speaker 4: Oh, you're on Talking Cowboys?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 18: Guys?
Speaker 2: How you doing doing good? What's on your mind? Hey?
Speaker 18: A couple of things? Well, what set to think? Is that the old line? It's just they're just not getting it done. And I don't know if it's Tnique, I don't know if Age is caught up with Zach Martin will say, or is it coaching or is it just a combination of that and the running backs. That's my biggest concern. We're not moving people off the ball. That happened in San France. You know, if that happens in Philadelphia, we're in trouble and we got to get back to being that physical old line that we had years back with Ron Leary, let's say, left guard. I want to get your thoughts on that.
Speaker 4: Thanks, guys, appreciate the call. Dano, As always, Isaiah, I'll start with you on this one, because I mean, it feels like the Cowboys have been looking for that physicality on the offensive line really since Travis Frederick was up front. Ron Leary of course what he did upfront two and they've been good, especially at times, but at least through the Mike McCarthy era, you haven't had this much health up front, but you're still having some struggles.
Speaker 2: So what are you at tr tribute that to?
Speaker 7: The continuity is just not there yet. I don't know what it's going to take or when that's going to kick in. To the point that you brought up in terms of the physicality, I think you hit some of the stuff on the head. I mean, Tyrant's getting up there, not being in like he used to, doesn't seem as aggressive as he once was. Martin, you know, Zach, I think he's more beat up than we probably know he seems like he's dealing with some things. He doesn't seem as sure as he's been or as dominant as he has been in recent years. So I'm not going to speculate, but we just see what the production is on the field.
Speaker 2: I think Tyler Smith is still learning. I see he's still learning.
Speaker 7: I think Tyler be Outis is undersized, and you have a right tackle that's coming off of ACL and that's figuring things out. So I mean, that's the reality. That's what you're dealing with. That's not making excuses, that's just facts. You couple that with the fact that they haven't played a lot of snaps together in a game, and it's not the combination that you want.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 7: I mean, the offense is still top ten off is when you look at a lot of different a lot of different fields. Okay, so it's not as bad as everybody thinks, right, their top ten offense in terms of rushing yards per game, in terms of rushing attempts per game.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't feel like it. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: It just doesn't feel like it because it's not what it once was and what happens is we get spoiled about, you know, production from recent years and when you had a Zeke and Tony Pollard combination and you had guys getting moved off the ball, and now all of a sudden, you have a Tony Pollard and Ricodalo combination and it just doesn't feel the same, you know, I getting those big splash plays. Tony Poller is not the curveball that he once was because he has to be the primary back.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of.
Speaker 7: Things that go into this, but ultimately, yeah, you're You're absolutely right. They're not as dominant as they once have been. And that's one of the reasons why I wanted this most recent year for them to spend their first round pick on the offense a linement.
Speaker 9: And then just thinking back to when they did have Travis Frederick and just the loss of him and how things have kind of gone in a different direction since because you at that time you thought, oh, they're gonna have Frederick Martin Tyrant and you just keep building a right on this and that's when you can throw in, you know, a Ron Leary piece, and you know, heck, you can throw in Tyler Smith and who knows where it would go, but it just hasn't been that same since. So I will say, you know, that's not just a different blame beattish, but it is. I look at how how little Mike McCarthy has had that number one offensive line together in his time just as head coach, and it just really has not been there to where I'm sure he expected and where I think a lot of us thought that, hey, if you keep the continuity here, you add in a piece like eventually this group will keep growing together, and it just really hasn't happened. I will say, I thought it would be better this season. We haven't necessarily seen that yet. Talking to Mike McCarthy yesterday on his conference call, though, and he was asked about that, he did add in there that schematically, he says that they are asking a lot more from their protection unit than they have at any other time since he's been their head coach.
Speaker 6: So yeah, and you pair that with the fact that they're banged up.
Speaker 5: All guys are banged up up front, and Terrence Steel's the only one that hasn't popped up on an injury report so far the season, and he's the one that's coming off of an seals here so all these guys are just gonna have to find some rhythm, not only on the field, but getting healthy. You mentioned the rushing production, Isaiah. I think that's a really good point because they might tell a different story. It's like, hey, you know there's rushing production here, there's a lot of attemts, blah blah blah.
Speaker 6: It's a really good example of stats being deceiving.
Speaker 5: And I know you love this conversation because whenever they stats, he is a huge statass guy. Could be Whenever you get inside the yes, whenever you get inside the twenties, that's when the trenches really become important. And that's that's where you've seen the red zone lapses at times this year. So I would like to see that group take this bye week, or I would like to see coming out of this bye week that this group has kind of taking it upon themselves to find that extra gear. I think they have the right guy leading them with offensive line coach Mike Salari. You could point to him, you could point to zag Martin. There's a lot of really good influences in this room, and I think you have a combination of young guys and veterans and guys that have been in this league for a really long time that can get this thing solved. It's not really a huge concern for me, even though I would point to it as one of the bigger offensive problems over the course of the first six weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the curious case of the offensive line in twenty twenty three, that's what it ends up. Yeah, because you don't know. On paper, you're looking at it and you're saying, Okay, these guys are all really good at their position. They've all been the Pro Bowls, with the exception of Terrence Steele. I mean, these guys are good enough to get it done, or I guess Terren Steele and Tyler Smith. But these guys are good enough to get it done, and on paper you feel very confident. But then the production just isn't there.
Speaker 2: So is it technique? Maybe? Is it the coaching staff?
Speaker 4: Like you said, I don't think so, but I mean, depending on what your opinion, opinion is could certainly point in that direction. But either way, offensive line's got to be better going into the post by week part of the season. All right, let's go to Ronnie in New Jersey. Ronnie, you're on talking Cowboys. What's going on.
Speaker 17: Good morning guys.
Speaker 2: How you guys going doing great? How are you?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 17: Not too bad? So I had this on my mind because I've heard coach McCarthy always speak about how this year he wants to play to his defense. So with the you know, the upcoming trade that I was thinking about, a guy from the Broncos. If you really want to play to your defense and you want to make your screens that much stronger, I would trade for Patrick's certain. If you have to give up a first round pick this year, first and first or third and maybe a second and assist next year, He's definitely worth it. He's young, He's only had two years in I believe he has like what two or three years left in his contract. You put the two outside cornerbacks him and Trayvon Dicks. Imagine those three guys, him, Trayvon Dix and dron Bland in the flot again. Now you can play to your run defense, which is the weakness. Put in the safeties. Bring the safeties down, Bring these guys down. You want to go one on one, That's what dan Quinn likes to play, right man. Imagine that you will fix a lot of problems if you trade for this guy. That's what I believe.
Speaker 4: What are you guys think Ronnie's out here hitting the rosters, He's looking at potential options. I like it, Ronnie, Thank you for the call. As always, John, What do you think?
Speaker 9: I'm fine with where they're at a corner? And the only reason I say that is because I'm looking beyond this year and I want to make sure that I would be able to re sign Deron Bland. I'm trying to keep Bland and Dig together. You're not paying top dollar for four or three four corners. It's just not going to happen. I would rather that's my future. I'll piece in another guy that you do draft and develop, or you signed as a veteran free agent, or I can make a move like they did for Steph on Gilmour like that. There's just other areas.
Speaker 8: On the team.
Speaker 9: I already have money invested if I'm them in the cornerback position, and I have a young piece I'm trying to keep. While yes, there are plenty of there are other good corners out there and that certainly would help this defense, don't get me wrong, But then there's also a part of me that I look over at.
Speaker 8: Let's say, like in San Francisco, and I know.
Speaker 9: They were a little bit exposed yet last night, but I don't think that you need to have three elite corners, because I do think that would hurt you in some other areas, because not only do I want to be good there, I want to make sure keep this past rush where it's at. And then the other part of it is we keep talking about offensive line like I need looking forward. If I'm the general manager, I need to have some answers and where you know, Tyrant Smith's not getting any younger, Zach Martin's not getting any younger, where am I I got to add some pieces there that aren't going to be cheap either. So it's like, yes, that would help. And believe me, like you know, not not to hate on the Rangers. I'm not trying to take anything away from they did, but let's not act like they didn't just spend like five hundred million dollars in the middle of their of their on second, but Jo, I'm just saying, like, no, the Astros are the same way.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that it's not an twist on.
Speaker 8: This, Oh pull them up by the bootstraps.
Speaker 9: No, they pulled themselves up and spend a bunch of money in the league where you can just spend a ton of money in some magical potion. I'm just saying, like a lot of people don't talk about it, but it's like I see the Rangers win, and I'm just like, yeah, that's awesome. Like I would like I'm gonna try Tigers fan. When I look at the Rangers win, I'm not like, man, wow, that crazy, but I'm like I wish the Tigers would spend more money. You know, but baseball different than it is, Like there is a salary cap that I understand that you can manipulate it and you can overspend in certain areas, but at the end of the day, there is a salary cap, and so you do have to focus. I'm just not like, all right, this is fine, this is fine, it's fine. Where's where's our problem? That Just throw some money at it. That'll be fine. Throw some more money there. Like, like, there is a salary cap, so that does make it where it's okay, do you want this player, Then that's gonna take a little bit away from what we're gonna be able to spend in some other areas we.
Speaker 4: Get we gotta be quick because we do have one more call. But I wanted to ask we're talking on that one to ten scale earlier of like what would be a splash move? Would are you completely set at corner with like a four or a five trade?
Speaker 9: Oh be okay, no, no, no, no, there's definitely something that that needs certain one injury that.
Speaker 4: Would be incredible. Yeah, but I mean, like you said, three elite corners.
Speaker 2: That's a lot to No.
Speaker 9: No, no, for sure, I'm not saying a leap, but they are one corner injury away from being some serious issues there now with Diggs being out. So no, I'm not saying that they're set at corner. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go out and make a move. I'm saying because again we're not mentioning that player's name, but when I'm talking about going after an elite guy like that that you're also going to have to pay a lot of money going forward. I don't know that that really fits in with where this team is right now at that position. At least if they had not paid Trayvon Diggs and this was like, oh hey, going into his final year type thing like that, that particular move with that particular individual sounds more intriguing. But now that you've paid Digs and then I've seen nothing, nothing to make me think that they're not going to want to do the same type of thing with Deron Bland.
Speaker 8: I'm not just paying.
Speaker 9: I can't just pay every corner in the league to come here and let's go five deep with guys all making one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 8: You know there is some strategy that is involved there.
Speaker 4: Isaiah's quiet over here. Would you make a splash move like that, because it would it would absolutely hamstring you in the future, but it would be enough to at least get lock you down.
Speaker 2: For twenty twenty three. Not at that position, not there, right.
Speaker 4: If you're gonna do it, you would.
Speaker 7: Do it elsewhere Nia, because I can. You can out scheme some good, really good cornerbacks. I mean, I mean, they're gonna still cause you some problems, but you can outscheme guys to be open as receivers. The positions I'm talking about. You can't outscheme those. You guys got to hit them in the mouth.
Speaker 2: Okay, so different different you want to tend, but in a different area. I needed were trenches.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and where I can get down to the red zone and I don't have to worry about passing.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna hit you in the mouth. I'm coming down here.
Speaker 6: I let me tell you.
Speaker 5: If there was a position to add, I think a terry defensive line would probably be the most impactful, depending on who you get, obviously, because it would just open everything up.
Speaker 6: All eleven guys on the defense.
Speaker 4: It'd be great. I really I would like to have a linebacker two. Yeah, I agree, But like I said earlier, I don't know who's out there.
Speaker 2: I really don't know.
Speaker 6: It's the thin position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's not a whole lot going on there, but.
Speaker 2: Hey, there's a lot of ways to go.
Speaker 4: October thirty, first Halloween, four pm Eastern Time is the trade deadline, so three pm Central spooky things are gonna get way spooky. Tomorrow we're gonna break down the where It's Wednesday, so we're gonna break down the Cowboys defense going up against the Rams offense. How are they going to slow down? Cooper Cup and company. Cooper Cup back in the fold, Poka Nakula has.
Speaker 2: Been playing well.
Speaker 4: They've got some guys some weapons outside and we'll talk about the Cowboys defensive matchup. Plus we'll hear about around the NFL with John Manchota. We'll hear some different storylines and some of the things that are sticking out. Uh, maybe there's a maybe there'll be a couple more trades because we maybe we should hit that Philly trade and a little bit deeper because.
Speaker 2: There's a lot going on there.
Speaker 4: We got Cowboys storyline coming up next on the Dallas Cowboys Radio Network. Of course ten there are ten am Central time Cowboys storyline with NICKI. Men, you can get your calls in eight eight eight, eight, five, five two two nine seven, but that doesn't for us here on Talking Cowboys today.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 4: It was good to be back with you. I missed you, guys.
Speaker 6: I hope y'all didn't have too much fun.
Speaker 4: I didn't awful, awful, Yeah, on the.
Speaker 2: Break as you have fun.
Speaker 7: I was the boy on Girls Talk Boys Talk There you go, girls talk boy, talk boy talk boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 6: Love that.
Speaker 4: I like it. But glad to be back with my guys. Glad to be back here on Talking Cowboys. We'll be back tomorrow nine am Central Time. Chris Beam in the back for Isaiah standback John Mitchowa, Nick Harris, and Kyle Yeoman saying so long, We'll see tomorrow with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.