Speaker 1: I think your story is so interesting of like where you grew up, right, how you grew up, troubled youth, arms, dealer, euphoria, you know, right? What up? Y'all? At your boy? keV on stage, Welcome to Not My Best Moment, a podcast where I talk to artists, athletes, entertainers, friends of minds about their successes and their failures, based on my New York Times best selling book Successful Failure by me Kevin Fredericks. Today, we have a very special guest. We're in my creator bag. Guys, we stepped away from the athletes and we're focusing on the creators because I am a creator and the creators are my community and I want to highlight them on this podcast a little bit more. And we're continuing that with Shan Tail Smith. Now. You may know her from Survivor. You may know her from being an entrepreneur. You may know her as a content creators, which is how I found out about her. You may know her soon from her work on The Airport. She was one of the new cast members on the Airport, which will be airing on TV in November. She was also a writer, a very brilliant writer for the show, as well, one of my favorites that contributed to the show. I found out about her on social media. She is very funny, her her husband, her dog. Is that your dog or just videos with a dogg Okay, please welcome to the show, Shantel Smith.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Clap back home too. Just because you're driving or working or cleaning up. Don't think you ain't got to clap. And I'll know if you clapped or not. And don't be selfish. We can feel h Chntel. I want to dive right in. Okay. I know people might want to talk to you about survivor and we may get to that. But over our brief months long friendship, somewhere along the way, I found out that you were a pastor and you went to would you call it seminary? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I went to seminary for like three years.
Speaker 1: Okay, spent three years in seminary. You were pastoring at a high level, and now you are completely unchurched. What happened? Why you don't love him?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Mo oh my god, I mean why you don't love him? No, moa, let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Oh man? I do I love the people still, I really love the people. If it was up to a certain select group people, I might still be there. But no, yeah, and it's a totally okay if we don't get the survivor, I'm okay not talking about to completely. I'm trying to leave that in my past perfect And.
Speaker 1: I don't even know you was on there forget about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, So I was a pastor for eleven years, eleven years of my life. Yeah, and I wasn't. I didn't grow up in the church. I found my way into the church. Church helped me get sober, helped me get clean, got me off the streets.
Speaker 1: Whoa, whoa? What was hey? Hey? Hey?
Speaker 2: What was what was going on? Stown?
Speaker 1: What was you doing?
Speaker 2: I was a hot mess. I mean I grew up a single parent household. My mom battle was an addiction to cocaine. She passed away in twenty seventeen, and so there was just a lot going on in that household. Stuff was always popping off. And so I was a troubled youth. As they say, I guess that's what I was branded as.
Speaker 1: Were you really I was.
Speaker 2: I was a little I was a little fighter. I was like moving weapons across the city. I was doing some crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: Are you being for real right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not lying moving weapons. I thought you were in this bubbly, quirky black woman.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad we don't look like what we've been through, right phraise God that you don't look like that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you was waits across state lines.
Speaker 3: You had the federal the federal rallies after you.
Speaker 2: I was doing that. I was also flipping counterfeit money, making fake bus tickets. I was like, I was in my bag. I was in my like little criminal bag. I said, I don't know, you're like, who's on the podcast right now?
Speaker 3: I literally I would never get we need the Shattell Smith's biopic Queue it up, Netflix. I had no I found you on Instagram and TikTok, and I just been following you ever since. I didn't I didn't dig into your trouble past trouble.
Speaker 2: I was troubled, dysfunctional and troubled. But yeah, I was just like, you know, I think my mom just dealing with a lot of like her own demons, like alcoholism and drugs. I was just very angry, and then my dad left when I was really young, and that just you know that just hit really really hard because I was a daddy's girl as a kid, Caribbean Jamaican man who's like now one of my best friends and like talk to him about everything, but we had a rough patch. So yeah, No, when I came to the church, people recognized that I had a gift to like preach and teach. I guess people make people laugh from upfront us as well as talking about the gospel. I guess that kind of equates to having a pastoral gift. But I do want to say, not all pastors are preachers, and not all preachers are pastors, you know. So I was a very gifted speaker, but like in terms of like sitting with the people and like knowing everybody's name, like that's a pastoral gift. I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't have that.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like I did. I mean, I love people, but I was very much like an upfront personality, and so I was catapulted to the cat to the pulpit space very early on. And then I went decided I really wanted to keep learning more about God. I was just so hungry and thirsty for the Gospel and for the good News, and like the desire just to know more about him and this God that forgives, and so I went on to sem I went onto my under graduate studies at Tyndall University that's in Toronto, named after William Tenniel Tyndale, the English translator of the Bible. And then I went on to seminary in Michigan. So I was there for about yeah, three four years, and then completed my doctorate in Peach in Hebrew studies because I just loved the Old Testament. So and then I got picked up as a well. After that, so much going on, No, this is you, this is your story.
Speaker 3: Do not feel led to rush. The people are here to learn about Chantell Smith.
Speaker 1: It's me. I'm the people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. After that, Actually, women in ministry weren't like a big hot commodity at that time like they were. Actually it was very like taboo to be a woman in ministry. Around twenty thirteen twenty fourteen, so I went overseas the Thailand and Cambodi, and I worked in the area of anti sex trafficking kind of on this side of correction, not so much prevention, because you're working more on the corrective side, like helping people get rehabilitated and teaching microfinance and so, like, I just wanted to give back, and that was my way of giving back and showing up in the world. And then I got hired as a chaplain at a university in Canada, and I went and pastored there for a year. And then I got hired to come down south to California, and that's time I made my way back across the border and pastored as a chaplain at a university there. So and then I got hired as a pastor in DC, and then I was pastoring there for a while. So yeah, and then the church just didn't want me anymore.
Speaker 3: Not hold on you. You're breathing through act wanting you're into act too.
Speaker 2: It's too much, it's too much.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't know much time we have.
Speaker 2: Just get get to the good stuff.
Speaker 1: We got time. So so I love that you. So let me let me just for clarification, when you.
Speaker 3: Do you have a master's in Divinity or PhD? What what?
Speaker 1: What did you end up finishing when you were done with seminary?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have a master's in Divinity and focus in Old Testament with a PhD in Hebrew, specifically the biblical So I didn't complete that, but that's I've done up to the PhD level and extensive studies of that area. So just kind of rounds off to being a doctorate in Biblical Hebrew, but not necessarily entire whole Testament. But that was what my focus was.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what just out of share curiosity, what drew you to Hebrew?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 1: Is it understanding the language, is it the cultures, the customs or what was your focus specifically.
Speaker 2: In I was, like I was a part of a fundamentalist church, very fundamentalist church, very conservative denomination. I won't say what, but for those who know, no, very very legalistic, very fear based in my opinion, with extensive doctrines that kind of build around the Old Testament and the creative narrative. And so for me, like really understanding the Old Testament and understanding like the foundation that the New Testament is built on was like a key factor for me, kind of like understanding who the person of Christ was and so and then like I had like a really good memory with just memorizing things pretty quickly, so like the final forms and the and the like, just Hebrew as a language as a pictorial language just stuck really.
Speaker 1: Easily to me, and forms in the parsings, like.
Speaker 2: I mean, like just the way that it's read and how it looks like the the just the alphabet as a whole, the alphabet, the alphabet as a whole, and just it all just came very easy to me. And I just I really loved it. I love I love the Old Testament, I love Hebrew. I don't know where that came from, but I just I just had a big fascination with it and kind of loved it. And I did an anti I did a Holocaust studies trip in in my in my final year of college, I think, and going overseas the Poland in Germany and learning about the Holocaust, So I think that might have had some some influence. But mostly I just really liked the language and how it looked and how it read and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so let's like he's not going to do nothing. That's the problem. Like if you were, okay, if you were going to really protect the family, it'd be fine, but you're not. When the robber gets in, you're going to be like my belly exactly.
Speaker 2: Like I think it was, well the church that I was a part of was racially segregated in a lot of ways. They had white conferences and they had black conferences, and that was really weird to me being a Canadian because everything is very multicultural up north, and so just that was weird. And then the whole issue around women's ordination, the idea that women could be deacons or elders but couldn't actually pastor and lead from upfront or lead a church, was really weird to me that you know, we're trying to reach the world and preach this good news, but you want to tie one hand behind the back. It's like just didn't make a lot of sense to me. Yeah, and then also like y'all are going to send me to seminary and take my money, but you're not going to hire me after to work in a local church context is very very strange to me. But I think the biggest thing was that there wasn't enough like cry room in the church for people, Like there wasn't enough humanity, enough room for humanity in the church. Like it was a lot of like you have to be, you have to do And I spoke out a lot against that, and just that these doctrines that we make our end all and be all and like kind of make people salvation wrapped up and just really don't carry much weight. And so and then of course there was the LGBQTI a thing, and there were so many young people as a chaplain on campuses that I was sitting across from. You know, it's very different to like, you know, talk about this stuff from behind it. It's very easy to talk about it from behind a pulpit or even like in the seminary or in like a you know, at a conference somewhe where everybody's talking about theology and everyone's trying to you know, talk about what's evil and what's good, and what's right and what's wrong, and you know, all these categories of moral morality. It's it's easy to talk about of those spaces. But when you're sitting across from young adults specifically that are really wrestling with their identity and they so desperately, like really want to be connected to God and they want to belong and they want to fit in, and they you know, they like I like walking that journey with so many young people and then seeing the church's outright denial, like in the nicest way possible, like we love the sinner, but we don't love the sin. Like you're here, like not everybody has to get married. There are plenty of people around the world don't have sex, they don't get married. It's like to deny young people like a really big aspect of their life, which is dating and like interest and attraction is just is very it's I don't it's just very, very hard, and it's hard to watch that the like the lights go out in young people and to see them just kind of start to feel like they don't belong or you know, they're going to hell, or they're condemned, or they're evil, or they're a part of this you know, sinful ideas. To like the sinful thing and that is less than everybody else was just really hard.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I so desperately wanted to be like, no, you're fine, it's okay, Like God accepts you, God loves you. But then I was like also walking this fine line with administration and leadership, and I was serving at a very high level. I was working at you know, the division and then you know, the conference and then the local level, and so to be in that space and also be next to young people that were wrestling with their identity and also a bunch of other like moral issues. It just felt like there was just a lot of stress on, like condemnation and what's right and what's wrong, and not enough grace, not enough room to just be, not enough room to just explore God and just be accepted as you are, which is the whole point of the gospel, just be accepted as you are. But it just and so that just started to rub me the wrong way. You know, to be a part of a denomination that was very racially segregated, that didn't really accept women in ministry and that didn't support the queer community was hard space for me to be in. And then I think doctrinally, there were just a lot of things that I stopped believing. I stopped believing in Hell because I just didn't see it in the text anymore. And you know, I don't think leadership could get on board with a person who just didn't believe that there was a judgment and had justice coming. And I'm like, I just I mean, I might be I might be a heretic, I might be might be crazy.
Speaker 1: I'm false teacher, false prophet, even though I never said I was a teacher or a prophet, heretics, false prophets, you nite.
Speaker 2: This podcast podcast, and so yeah, I'm like, I might be a heretic, but also like, you know, show me in the text where this is and you know, and I'll preach it. But I just stopped believing in that stuff and I just started focusing on the person of Christ. And the more I focus on who Jesus was, the further I went, Like the further I became with the church, like, the more distance that came between me and the church, and I started to realize, I just don't think that Jesus really messes with the church like that. I mean, I think I don't think he does. I don't think he at least leadership, you know what I mean. It's very much like the relationship with the statist Saddest he's in the Pharisees. It's like, I think he's there for the people and will work with the people that are in that space, but leadership, like I think I don't know if God rocks with them like that. I just don't. I don't believe it. I don't know why, but I just don't. And I just didn't want to be a part of that anymore.
Speaker 1: So that's so interesting. I have been wrestling with this very publicly over the last few years, but more specifically the last few months. And if you have been living under a rock and this EPISODEI come out in a few weeks from when we're actually shooting this, So maybe it'll die down, maybe it'll go up again.
Speaker 2: Oh it's not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Just growing and growing and growing. But I have also been publicly, I want to put it like this, publicly struggling with my faith. And I used the term the way the Bible was taught to me and how I am interpreting it for myself. That's I've had a lot of the same issues that you have brought up in myself. It's like, and I used to work with young people as well, and you know, and I also in my in my job, I often interact with a lot of people who are not Christians at all, and very similar to when I worked at Bank of America. First thing they tell you in training is, hey, man, you can serve any religion you have, but in this workplace, you can't bring none of that in here, because you know, like I always joke about, but this was actually true. I worked with a witch, like an actual practice practicing wiccan when I lived in Tacoma and didn't know about it. And you know, obviously the way I grew up, very fundamentalist Pentecostal, you you were going to hellvy were not saved like us, the exact way we are saved. If you are a witch. I'm certain there was a special place. But the thing that was interesting is I worked with this lady for like four years. I didn't know she was a witch until like the last six months we worked together, and I'm like, you don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I thought witches looked like, but you was just we've been working on this teller line for like a year. We'd be laughing and joking, you know, in the breakroom together. I ain't see no hocus focus, no stools, no Eye of newt you know.
Speaker 1: So, but specifically about homosexuality and stuff, I was in hot water on both sides, but specifically about the church because I was struggling.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Basically, I said, I lead with love when it comes to queer saints and same sex lovers. And then you know, somebody asked me, do I even think it's a sin anymore? And I had to really chinto how to really take stock of my life, not what I thought, like, I really thought about how I've been living my life in practice over the last ten or fifteen years, and there was nothing in my life that said I even thought this was sinful anymore, No biblical evidence, nothing. I'm just saying. I was struggling with why God would design people with no way out, like what we are deeming is their sin. There's nothing they can do or atone for it. This is just how they live their life. Everything else that they did, you know, lying for example, if I lie to you chantel, that hurts you. If I murder you, that obviously hurts you when it hurts your family as well. But I was struggling how a same sex consensual adult, how that is inherently sinful and why that would be cause quite the hullabaloo. So we were talking off camera, and you were you were You were informed me with some of your m dev and your theology studies that you believe so much about homosexual homosexuality in the church has less to do with the text and more to do with culture. Can you expound more on those thoughts for people who weren't talking with.
Speaker 2: You and I who weren't weren't dropping in on the text. Yeah, I think, like I just when you look at the texts that are there, like, I think there's there are really good hermineutics for working around some of the things that.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Hermonutics?
Speaker 2: So there's some really good Sorry, thank you, I just get me out of the Christianese.
Speaker 1: Theology talking to the talking to them. I don't know what hermonudics means.
Speaker 4: I know what you know, and you know when you're seminari once you start talking to hermoneutics and educ the text, now you I know you don'et went and did some some extracurricular studying, But I never know what that worn't exactly meant.
Speaker 2: There are some really good tools. There are some really good tools and some really good ways to read scripture and underscri understand scripture that get around some of the very few texts that addressed homosexuality or maybe is maybe six or seven maybe that kind of like get close to it and you know, tap on it. Like, there are some really good tools to kind of get around that stuff. So once you work through it with a historical lens, you know, looking at the audience that you know that the writers were speaking to thinking about, you know, why Moses was writing, the purpose behind what Moses was writing from the very beginning throughout the Pentituke, which is the first five books of the Bible. Right, that's the Pentatuke, right, very go right, So when you look at how Moses is writing, when you look at Pauline like structure and his rhetoric throughout his letters that he's in his sorry my gosh, yes, the word the writer, the author, paul of the Bible, one of the very first you know, apostles and leader of the early Church. You know, when you start to break down some of these verses, it's not a lot that sticks there. And I know a lot of people want to categorize things as evil or good, but it's just not a lot that sticks there. And so this issue with the queer community with LGBQTAA really has to do more with like what I feel when when it comes to like same sex attraction with men is like the ick factor, Like people just don't like it, they don't like to see it. But you know, no one has a problem seeing two girls kiss. No one has a problem with lesbians. Really in that way, and so I do think that it comes down to like this cultural thing that we just all got to get on board. And it's a really good thing to be like, hey, you know, I might be doing all this, but I'm not that. You know, I might be doing all this, but I'm not that. And it's a good way to like set for Christians to separate themselves and to feel good about their salvation because at least they're not the worst of the worst. Although Paul lumps in a lot of this stuff. And I'm not saying that these things stick and hold weight or even that he's talking about a healthy same sex relationship, but he lumps in, you know, if loosely the term homosexuality, that's how it's translated, but they're no real word for that back then. But you know, he lumps in that term with the liars, with the disobedient to parents, with I mean, so the moral lists are like they're, you know, they're stuck together, and so it really, I mean, these moral issues are they're clumped together by Paul, and so there really is no way to feel better about who you are except with sharing in the glory and the grace that comes through Christ. Jesus. But people don't like that. They don't want to be equal, they want to feel better, you know, And so there's this there's this self righteousness that people try to build by, you know, establishing this wall of their that and I'm this, yeah, and that's less than and I'm and I'm better, even if we're not outwardly saying it. And so, you know, culturally it wasn't a really big thing in the church. Into the world made it a big thing, and then the church came on board and said, hey, we can be better than that, and we can hate them more than you. It's coming from the great White Throne and scripture, so we can throw down worse on the homosexuals than you can now join us. I mean, all these desperate attempts for Christian churches to gain audience and to have the doors flooded with people and the tide going up and the buildings getting bigger. I mean, it was built on the backs of, you know, communities like the queer community and the black community, where we say, hey, we don't like them, we don't want them here. This is the pure white space, you know, and same sex hetero space, heteronormative space, where you can belong. And then over time, the church, you know, starts to grapple with this issue more. But it's really not a scriptural, textual thing because you can prove anything from the Bible. This thing is deeply cultural, you know, it's it's deeply uh, you know a lot of predator prejudice and bias and you know hypocrisy.
Speaker 1: Really, hey, take a quick break here, support the show by supporting the sponsors. Your story is so interesting. I like where you grew up, right, how you grew up troubled youth, arms dealer, euphoria, you know, right, and then you found the church and you found community, and then it helped you with becoming clean, becoming sober, and you hunger for knowledge and hungry, hungry, hungry, hungry, so much knowledge. And then you find yourself with so much knowledge that you're now clashing with the thing that just saved you or pulled you out some years ago. How do you reconcile that? Like, although now you're not arms dealing, you're just making content and being very funny, but like, how do you reconcile? Like? Man, I just was like this was so much of my life and now I can't see it being as much of my life.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's so the church pushes I mean, you come in a person like me, coming in off the streets, coming in the way that I came in. You know, they they share with you this radical love about Jesus. You know, this radical love from Jesus that comes from heavenetics. You know that this like love love, you know, and so you kind of me it filled me up with love. So it's like, well, I can't help but love. And then you go to a seminary and they teach you to think critically. At least Tyndale taught me to think critically about the text, to think critically, to think historically, to think you know, geographically, to study architecture and archaeology, you know, the study of rocks and buildings and from you know, the ancient world and understand where I how this all all this comes through, and you, you know, you begin to develop a critical thinking mind that then thinks you out of the box that religion tries to place you in. And so for me, it's like it was always going to end up here, and it's always gonna it's it's it's always going to end up there. I think for a lot of people in you know, this this kind of this kind of time, and this is exactly what Jesus talks about. He's like, you know, there's a day coming where you're not going to worship on this mountain or that it's going to be by spirit and by truth. So I think it always kind of lands in this space of like navigating our faith, our own finding, you know, pockets of community Christian community where we can, and trying to survive this world by being loving human beings. So it's like you taught me how to love church, and then you told me I could only love certain people. You told me about like a cross that you know makes a way for all. But then you said, well, home, but homosexuality's not on the cross or and I'm not even saying that homosexuality is a cross, but I'm saying, you know, you say this is the one thing that doesn't make it to the list. But your divorce is okay and your remarriage, and we were.
Speaker 1: Talking about that too. It's like, divorce is such an interesting topic because specifically Bible says God hates divorce the three words in order, and I think culturally, I was just talking about this with my wife. When we were kids in the church, especially you know, eighties and early nineties, divorce was so taboo. I mean it was like scarlet letter. I remember hearing from the pulpit, even if he cheats you, cheats on you, Yeah, you know, let nothing separate you accept death, you know. And then a few years later was like, okay, if he's hitting you, maybe maybe maybe if he's hitting you, maybe nothing so sad like. But early on it was nothing. No divorce. God hates the I mean literally, God hates divorce. And I remember pastors would not get divorced. People were in very unhappy marriages. As a kid, I didn't know this. But as I started growing up and I was a teen and stuff, you start to realize a little bit more. And then all of a sudden, people when I'm sixteen, seventeen, people starting to get divorced, and to where now it's like it's not even taboo at all. Pastors get divorced, they have children from multiple marriages, you know, single pastors with children, and it's so not taboo. In the forty years that I've lived on Earth, just the topic of divorce has gone from completely taboo. You should never God hates it to Oh man, people will get divorced. I still serve under this pastor that's gotten divorced. So if the culture's ideas can change on this in just let's say forty years, imagine how much can change over.
Speaker 3: Two thousand years. We're talking about the Bible was written over two thousand years across cultures times. You're talking about what you can justify the Bible. This same Bible has not changed, right in theory, right the words and in every translation it's changed. But in theory there's been no new words added to the Bible in years. But culturally we have decided years ago we are using the Bible to justify slavery with no change to the Bible. We as a culture decided, you know what, man, slavery is like still in the Bible, still in the Bible. But we're like, but also, guys, like, this is kind of crazy. We not gonna do this getting married to women who are not women by the age that we decide is content consent based on today, Still in the Bible, you could marry a twelve or thirteen year old. In the Bible, you could have multiple wives in the Bible, wives Solomon, who God calls the most wives, multiple wives, and concubines. We still hold his words in such high regard. David sent a man, a woman's husband, to the front line to be killed so that he could have her, and he is called a man after God's own heart.
Speaker 1: In the Bible.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, if all this is in there, why are you mad at me for saying I don't think gay people.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna treat them crazy. I love them and I don't even think this is a sin now. Also, I'm just talking about my life, Chantelle, I'm not talking about I went to a church with my parents. We went to North Carolina and this church, Big Leviticus. No, we couldn't eat shrimp or pork. I grew up, my family grew up eating shrimp and pork. And my dad was like, well, we under this pastor, we eating shrimp and pork. So for about nine months of three years, we didn't eat shrimp and pork. And then one day my dad was like, nine, yo, we having pepperoni pizza, y'all. I was like, what about here, we having pepperoni pizza. He just was like, nah, man, I ain't with that, No, boy, Bible didn't change, pastor didn't change. But my dad was like, I want pizza. And I remember that day because I was a kid at that time. I didn't challenge anything. I had curiosities, so I remember my friends were like, why are you picking your pepperoni off? I was like, man, it's unclean now, y'all. And I didn't even grow up with that. And el paso that was not a thing. We had bembering pizza all the time. And this was my stepdad. I was like, man, my real dad would have let me eat pizza.
Speaker 2: I'm my real dad.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but it was like in some ways you you know. I remember, and I feel like I'm dominating the conversation, but I don't want to do that. I remember I came to a crossroads in my life and it sounds like very similar to what you were talking about. When I was a youth pastor, my pastor asked me to be a youth pastor because the kids really gravitated towards me, the teens, because I was, like you, a very funny, charismatic I could. I could make the word easy to understand for them, and I could relate to them, and I wasn't much older than them. They were twelve and I was twenty five twelve to sixteen. I had like middle school in high school, so actually like twelve to eighteen, but more indexing in high school. And I was twenty four twenty five at the time, so still listening to music and all that type of stuff. And I remember I asked my kids, what do y'all want to learn? Because I wanted this Bible study to be valuable for you, and they were like, we want to learn if tattoos are a sand, and I was like, great, great, I can't wait to go to Leviticus and tell you exactly why they're a sin. I know they're a sin. I've been raised there as sin. They're a sin. Now let me tell you why. Pull it up because I couldn't remember what chapter it was in, so I typed in Google, what where is it the Bible say tattoos are sin? And then I typed in after that it was like Leviticus and I was like okay. And at that time, I was still learning how to be a youth pastor, so I used to get a lot of help with other messages that were kind of pre like I could use like study GUIDs. Yeah, so I typed that one and then this I'm never getting white pastor. I'd written an article said so you want to teach your kids that tattoos are sin and teen Bible study and I was like, yes, yes, click. He was like, here's the scripture you're looking for, Leviticus nineteen whatever it was. And he's like, but before you teach, I want you to read this whole chapter. Yes, And I was like okay. Felt like he was talking directly to me, because like this is how he wrote the article, kind of how those recipes they tell you my mother built made cornbread. It was like that. He's like, read the scripture before and read a few head and then read a few after. And I read it and I was like, okay, beards and stuff and uncle, you know, fabrics and all that stuff. And he was like, so if you have facial hair, be careful about what you teach. And I had a little mustache, little go tea at the time, and he said, and check the tag of your shirt. If it's not one cotton or one if it's a polyester blend, then be careful how you teach this because you're talking about tattoos, and you're not talking about mixed fabric. So his point was that chapter in Leviticus was written to Levites who weren't considered priests, and these were their rules and ordinances. It wasn't meant to be applied to lay people and that chantel. Once I read that, I said, oh, nobody ever taught me that. And then I started learning more and more and more. And I remember my pastor was so upset me because we had an agreement that I didn't have to preach or teach anything I didn't agree with. And I told him, I said, hey, man, I don't think and I don't even tattoos at the time. But I was like, it doesn't look like we understood tattoos the way we were taught. And he was like, okay, teach it how you want. And and at that point I said and then I just was learning everything. And I remember one of my pastors, my pastor before that, he forbade our church to use the self checkout line. There was a new grocery store they let itself. There was a big news in Tacoma. You can use the self checkout line. I think our grocery store is called safeway, and our bishop got up there and said, nobody in this church is going to use the self checkout line. That is the mark of the beast.
Speaker 2: Mark of the Beast.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, is that is hands and forehead kind of thing?
Speaker 1: Yes. He was like, that's the market the beast. I said, sir, I'm not standing in line. I'm so sorry. No, I'll best.
Speaker 3: I said, it's not the mark of the beast, it's it's the same scanner.
Speaker 1: They're just letting you scan it. So I disagreed with my pastors along the way in my life, and I think even people we were talking about this off camera. I think people disagree with the Bible all the time. The Bible says if Chantel has commits adult or keV does, you can stone them.
Speaker 2: To death, to death, which is a terrible, a terrible, terrible, I mean, and a terrible way to deliver death to somebody, To throw rocks.
Speaker 1: At you until one eventually knocks you until you either bleed out or blunt force trauma. Even if you have committed adultry. I'm not gonna throw rocks at you, and I'm not gonna when rocks are pelted at you until you die so we decide, Okay, man, I'm not gonna do that, but that's in the Bible. So I think we all are wrestling with I thought was something was so interesting that you said, is like refining community with people you believe in because you really think about it, denominations are really just community for people who agree.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: I honestly think sometimes it's like type A and Type B, Like sometimes it really does come down to like, these are just anal retentive people over here, and that's what we call the Seventh day Adventist. That's who they are, you know. And then we've got the crazy charismatics that are Type B and that's the Pentecostal. H then you got to mix up both with kojik.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like it really does come down to personalities. I'm almost certain that if you did like this nagram or those tests, that it would like clump in one particular area for these groups of people.
Speaker 1: I agree because I grew up very Pentecostal. We can't do nothing. You can't play We know, you can't go to the movies, but you can't watch movies at home. So I was like, is it the movie theater sinful or the movie sinful, because you can go to the theater and watch a ballet, but you can't go to the theater and watch a movie. It turns out, Chantell, we couldn't go to the theater because my pastor's son had sex in the movie theater, and then he called the whole thing sinful, and we were like, I'm not doing that. I just want to watch.
Speaker 2: Them watch I just want to watch cars.
Speaker 1: Yes, And you think about Baptist people buy and large for cliche reasons or whatever. They like, smoke cigarettes and a lot of people grew up Baptists are like, yeah, we have no problem with that. I grew up that was such completely a sin. And then not the nomination on y'all, y'all just don't y'all, just let anything happen you wearing pants. So it's like, I think, so many of these things are so small and minute, some are big, some are huge differences and change. But we could argue until we're blue in the face, Chantelle, about things that don't really matter. And I think we're supposed to bring with our love. I think I think you you you help you realize something based on what you said. I focused most of my life on how Jesus moved and operated, not Paul for me. Yeah, Jesus, how what did he do when the when the whole world was going this way? He often went the other way? When when the law said you can do this, he often didn't do it exactly as the law did. And I think you said something that I agree with the most because I know it was true for me. I wanted to feel better than people. I didn't necessarily want to be better. I just needed you to be worse so.
Speaker 2: That I feel feel better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I'm not gonna.
Speaker 2: And that would be your speech when you get to the throne, is but god, I didn't do this, you know. I wasn't this like you know, I wasn't bent over, you know, bending anyone over, you know, that would be that would be the argument you get to the throne. But that, you know, and it's so sad. It's like it's it's funny and I'm like it's but it's like it's it's and I'm saying it like we want to feel better, you know, And that's all we put the homosexuals where we put them, or peat people with the same sex orientation where we put them. But it's really it's really a response of fear, like we're just afraid. And that's what I'm saying, Like you take hell out of the equation, you know, because in order for hell to exist, God would have to sustain it. And that's an issue with the Odyssey right there. That's that basically comes down to the character of God. Is he Is he evil enough to sustain a living, burning hell for all of eternity for those you know, So when you if we just took that away for a second and just said no, good God in his right mind would sustain some of that, we just like it just frees a lot of us up to give freedom to everybody else to just be who they are. And I'm not saying that anything and everything goes. It's not like that. But God has called us to live a life of love, you know, and what does that look like? And I loved what you said, you said, you know, if I get before God and his biggest issue with me is that I loved gay people. You know, it might just be an idol that you're standing in front. It might be something else, Because that's that's a crazy thing to to you know, to not be able to enter heaven over.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So all of this stuff. You know, the Bible hasn't changed, but it documents a God who changes a lot. And the reason why he changes is because of his people.
Speaker 1: You know, he doesn't God doesn't change at all. What you mean God changes a lot? Right? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's verses that he never changes.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's a very Greek idea that in order for if something changes, that means it's not complete, or it's not like holy good, or it has to improve, and that means that God wasn't what he's going to be. It's like, no, God is good, he's holy, he's righteous, he's all of that. He's the unmoved mover and all of that. He's he's good, he is love. Like I'm not taking anything away from but I am saying that you look at the Bible, which is written by sixty six different well a little less than sixties, but a lot of authors, sixty six books, a lot of authors, a lot of reactions, and you get a God that is changing. Oh, don't go into the town now, he's going into the town. You know, Oh, I'm gonna wipe out ninevah, No, we're ninavah, We're good now. You know what I'm saying, like, oh, like is the tons of passages that deal with God changing his mind and why does he do that for the sake of his people? You know. So it's like it makes sense that, you know, at one point, your Dad's like, we're not you're your stepdad, not your real dab.
Speaker 1: You set dad is He's good now good Now I have to go back to pizza. He was back by Dad at that time, those nine months. I was unsure because I really love pepperoni. Pizza is a big part of my life. Nut. But now then he went. Once he came off with that, he'd been good ever since.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it makes sense that at one point, like you know, we're creating the image of God. It makes sense that at one point he's like, no, no, because we're under this pastor and then all of a sudden it's like this is just not who we are, you know, And that's okay, and people are, but people are very uncomfortable with the flexibility of God. You know. It's scary to think that our God is going to shift and meet us where we are. But that that's the bi that is the the God of the Bible is someone that is changing and changes it on behalf of humanity, you know. So he warns and then he gives in. And it's it's like if you really study scripture closely, like this Lamb is changing. And so you know when you when you break everything down, you're left with the letters and read. You know what I mean? For me, as someone who is deconstructing my faith, I had to go back and be like, okay, this this book was changed so much. Okay, Pauline epistles, there's Pauline, there's Paul's opinion, and then he's speaking authority, authoritai lead the church.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So there's all these things and I'm like what stands? What remains? And for me, I just go back to the letters and read. And when I think about the letters in Red, like I was telling you yesterday, it was just like there's zero on this issue of homosexuality. Like Christ does not speak about it at all. But he does speak about divorce, and he does speak about lust and the heart, and he does speak about like what sounds like masturbation. At some point in the tax Yo, it didn't speak about lying and being a light on the hill and the things that matter is what he actually discusses. And I know our God saw this coming. I know that they were dealing with it back then, and yet there's no commentary on it. So, you know, I see people out there on social media being like Kevin's confusing evil with good and he does not understanding why the Christians are man, and it's.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't understand exactly why they're I just I'm that part. I'm clear, And the crazy thing is said, tell my grandma and my dad usually are opposite of me on this. This time they were like, you know what, Sun, You're right. And I was come to this because it.
Speaker 2: Feels like because it feels like most people want to let it go at this point, like most people want to just be able to be in relationship with the people they like and love, you know, and they they want permission to be let off of the hook that these you know, these five or six Bible versus hold them to. And so it is the work of good leadership to to sit with the text and to help people understand how to read scripture well. And you know, some people will hear this podcast and they'll say, oh my gosh, this is like, this is this is the worst thing ever. Like they're saying that this is okay, that we shouldn't be trusting the Bible. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying you have to understand what the Bible is and how to read it, understand it in its right context. Like you you went back in Leviticus and you realize that, hey, tattoos really have to do with the idea of like something that was you know, at that time, Cultic priests were cutting themselves for the dead and they were doing you know, and so there they were the livitical order. The Levites were asked to not do that, and so it was dealing with something very different the priesthood, and not necessarily the little fish that you see on someone's ankle or you know, whatever are someone's neck. You know, it's it's just very different. And so when you go back and you understand what you're reading and how to read it, I think it changes, you know, how you can live then and how you can receive people.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, taking a quick commercial break. We'll be right back. So I we went forty three minutes, and I didn't even talk about you as a content creator at all. Yes, no, this is I could go two hours on this. It's a little bit of theological Thursdays, which is the thing I used to do. But then the gay people and the Christians got mad at me. I was just like, I can't take this. I'm not ready for this. Save my life. Shut it down. But this is like a little one episode. But I do want to talk about you as a content creator. Uh when did you? How did you arrive? There was this always a thing.
Speaker 2: I mean I went to like, I've always been creative, So I was before I became, before I got into the before, while I was in the church and you know, wrapping up high school, I was a draw a drawer and a painter. And so my first year of college was actually out on Tario College of Art and Design. So I went for drawing and painting. And after that year, I got tired of seeing like white men's penises all the time, and I was like, I don't want to draw that anymore. And I was falling in love with Jesus and I was like, take me to the throne, like take me the grades. I'm living in sin drawing, drawing, penises over here and titties that aren't mine, and like, good heavens the wrinkles, Lord help me. So I go into ministry. But I've always been very creative, like and like I was. I was a praise and worship dancer in the church for a little while.
Speaker 1: You were here, I was.
Speaker 2: I was here, I was side did the sign and I did it. Oh, I had to get that. I was listen. I was dragging my flesh down to the altar and trying to strip myself with sin. So I was like, you know, I was always very creative. And then after I think it was the pandemic. Was my final year in ministry. I was serving at a multi multi ethnic, multi generational megachurch in Los Angeles, and it was one of my favorite places to serve. But at the end of that year, my pastor at the time, he said to me, he's like, you know, there are He's like, there are there are generals, and then there are soldiers. He goes, and I just feel like, You're a general, not a soldier. And I was like, I didn't understand. He's like, and I'm just He's like, I'm telling you this because I want you to be here, he's like, and you're doing a great job here. He's like, but I feel like God is calling you to be a general, not just a soldier. He's like, and I don't know what that looks like for you. He's like, but if but I just He's like, I'm not saying anything, but that's what what God is telling me to tell you. And I think after some prayer, I came to the just conclusion like this had been a long time coming, and this this church was like like my favorite space out of all the spaces I had served in, but still very exclusive, you know, it's still very rigid on the in some of their thinking. And so it was at the end of this year that like God had just literally like spoke to me, like very clearly, and it was like, I'm asking you to leave this place of ministry. I was like, well, I love ministrying, like you call me to the ministry and like I've gone through all this, like pushing past the women's barriers and breaking ceilings and leave like I'm here. Like I'm here, I'm here, you know. And God was like, and you know, and this is it. This is the end of this ride. And so I was like, but this is the end of ministry. And God was like, this is not the end of ministry, but this is the end of your you know, your pastoral career right now. And so I was literally the day I left. The day I left, I was sitting in my apartment thinking like what am I going to use my MDV for? What am I going to use the factory for? What? I could not I could not get a job anywhere. I was like, what am I going to do? And my husband, my friend, my friend who's now my husband, who is my friend at that time, was like, you know, you're so creative, Like you should just do like some of these videos on TikTok. And I was like, no, I'm not getting on TikTok. Are you crazy? No? And he's like, you should get on TikTok and I was like, I'm not. I had maybe like four thousand followers on Instagram at the time, and so he's like, yeah, I just do a video on TikTok. So I was like, what am I going to do? A video about? What do I have to work with? And it was theology? So I wrote this video, this sketch about you know, because that was the time when there were the protests were happening. George Floyd had just happened, and the world was like on fire everything with Trump. It was just it was a crazy time and we were on lockdown, we were in pandemic. It was it was twenty twenty. And so I wrote this sketch about like mean like kind of meanwhile and heaven, like I can't remember what it was. It was like Gabriel get the horses, I think it was, and with like God, the Holy Spirit in Christ and like just God's response to everything that's happening and how God wanted to come down here and lay hands on the people, right. And I just I just made up a video based on that, based on theology. That's all I had. And I went to bed after I post that. I woke up to like ninety thousand followers the next day in the host Oh my god, god, what is this? Like Jason was like sharey, He's like your videos everyone, Like I'm like, oh my god, I have my phone. Had called after call from my senior pastor, Like I had so much like people coming in and calling me like no, you you've seen it, you've seen it. Yeah, I think you commented on it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, that makes sense about how I found you.
Speaker 2: Then yes, And so then I did a lot of videos about God and you know, spirituality, and people just loved it. You know. I took me to about three hundred thousand followers, and then I transitioned a little bit more to lifestyle and like relatability because I didn't want to just be boxed into Christianity, and of course the people didn't like that, And all of a sudden became a sinner again because I was like, you know, posting content about hair or something else. And so now I think as a content creator, it's a really interesting time for me because I'm coming out of my seasonal depression. Every winter I go into just the dark space, and now I'm just in the space of like trying to evolve again as a creator. Like it's just that's the way of life. It's like you never just and you never arrive anywhere, you know.
Speaker 3: Neverve It's just like seasons in the the way the wind blows in the spring, the summer and the fall and winter.
Speaker 1: And I think that brings us full circle back to what we were talking about. People were, you know, I was getting killed and Kevin how can you think this. I'm just one person trying to make sense of life. Yeah, I still love God, I still love his people. I love people who don't profresh to even be Christians. But I'm also trying to make my way through life as as I see it. And I've just never been the type to be like, this is the world that is explained to you, you accept it without questioning. I've never been that person when it comes to anything, and I you, I think you shouldn't be that person because if you're never gonna question anything, people can get away with anything. If you're just not, like, hey man, that just ain't cool. And I also don't fully understand the Bible or God, and I think that's okay. I think God is too big for us to even fully understand him anyway. And I don't understand how airplanes work either. We guess what shall tell tomorrow. I'm getting on a plane and I.
Speaker 3: Hope it lands.
Speaker 2: I hope, Oh my gosh. The way that I've been driving across this country because I don't want to get on a plane, Like when I tell you, I drove to Atlanta, I drove to New York. I was gonna drive to California, and I was like, you know what, I rebuked the spirit of fear. If anything is real, it's the spirit of fear. And I was like, I'm out of agreement with it. I rebuke it, and I'm getting on that plane. And man, what was it the other Just just yesterday a little mini plane crashed.
Speaker 1: Into somewhere in there's a mini plane crashing every day. If you're plane is small enough, it won't even make the news. If it's a single engine Cessna level plane. They only really make the news if it's where you live, or if it's a major airline jet but them single engine planes, or if somebody famous dies, but small planes crashing that that happens quite often.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Well you are gonna travel safe. You are get on that plane, and you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Let be my last podcast. And to be like Dan Kenus he went out, You're.
Speaker 2: Talking about the gays, and they're like, he's for sure cook, he's cooked now, He's cooked.
Speaker 3: Now, And you know what sweter about that? And I'm gonna let you go after this. The funny thing is, even if.
Speaker 2: I am going to hell, you're not going to hell.
Speaker 1: Even if I am going to hell, nobody would even know because our bodies are gonna be so changed. You're not gonna be like I know, Kemo stage is make it. If you're in heaven, you're gonna be focused on the things of heaven. And if you in Hell with me, then clearly we was both wrong about something. Okay, before we go, please tell people what you're working on where they can find you the things that people say at the end of podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's such an interesting time. But like I said, I'm trying to evolve as a creator, and it's it's hard right now, just you know what I love to create. I don't know if it resonates all the time, and so it's like, you know, just finding myself again. But I just wrote a show, we filmed it, I cast it, we filmed it. It just came back from its last round of color correction, and it's being mixed. The sound is being mixed. So it arrives on Monday, and so this is great. Yeah, the trailer is on my my Instagram page, and I it's like, it's my it's my story. It's about like being raised by part Mafia Park Caribbean, like you know, and like but honestly, like it's there's no lies, Like I could show you the paperwork, it's all real. And then also and then and then pastoring in the church in an all white context and being the only black person there but leading out in a space of a church that's just kind of really crazy and kind of psychotic. And it's a dark comedy because I'm really navigating grief through most of it. So it's my heart to the viewer about like just how I navigated my mom's passing while pastoring, while living with my Italian uncle and having trying to rebel the relationship with my Jamaican dad, and it's it's it's it's fun chaos. And so that's what I'm working on right now. That's my big baby.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 2: And of course your first thing is always your worst thing, and so I don't know how it's gonna do.
Speaker 1: But out there, listen, the only way you can get better Chantelle is by putting out the stuff. Yeah, all you can ever do. Ryan Cooger said this. He said he doesn't compare his movies to one another. He just knows that when he made Fruit Val that was as good of a movie as he could make, and that was as good as a filmmaker as he could make. Same thing happened with Creed, Same thing happened with Black Panther one and.
Speaker 2: Two for him at that time, right for him, at that time he could do.
Speaker 1: That's when you made this with everything you know, in all your experience. That's as good as you can be. And all we can hope is that as we grow, change, learn and get experience, we can get better. So that's it. We'll be excited to see your first thing, ladies and gentlemen. Shantel Smith heretic content creator and friend.
Speaker 2: Check her Jesus. I love him with my whole heart. Okay. I just love gay people too. That's all it is.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's all it is.
Speaker 2: From from as a creator, like on social media, I want to say a big thank you to you, and I I know I'm speaking for a number of content creators. I know because I'm I'm in the I'm in the mix, okay, and I just want to say, like, thank you. Are you on the status?
Speaker 1: Ye think?
Speaker 2: I think you big big thank you for like encouraging honestly on some of my words days were like where where I saw your posts? And like some of my moments where I didn't want to post where I saw your post are just like encouraging us as creators to be fearless, be vulnerable, put your stuff out there, and don't worry about what people are gonna think. Like you and Mel Robbins, you're like both of two very different people, but my almost my favorite people to follow because you encourage us. And so it's like you, whether you like or not, you are pastoring a group of content creators. You are you rejected, No, no, you absolutely have to receive it because there's so many of us that look up to you and are looking towards you as someone who's created a path for content creators to break out of just social media and to like reinvent ourselves. So thank you, thank you, I'll take you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for.
Speaker 2: Hiring me, Thank you for hiring me for that last for the shop.
Speaker 1: That was amazing. You were amazing. I can't wait for people to see the stuff you wrote and the stuff you acted in. You kill it, ladies and gentlemen, this has been Shane tell Smith, I've been kept on stage. Not my best moment.
Speaker 3: If you like it, subscribe, rate it, do all those things and If you don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, at least you watched this one. We'll see you next week. This has been a Unanimous Media original. Not My Best Moment was produced by iHeart Podcasts and Unanimous Media. It was hosted by me Kevin Fredericks. Executive produced by Stephen Curry, Eric Payton and Charlotte Sumter Jett Co executive producer Klena Maria Cutney. The executi producers of the iHeart Podcasts are Sean Titne and Jason English. This series was produced by Peter Calter and Jabari Davis. Co producer Kurt Redmond. Special thanks to Stephen Curry and Will Pearson. Not My Best Moment is a production of Unanimous Media and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.