Speaker 1: This media podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia.
Speaker 1: This is the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Steve Yannis cal Randall, Brody and Seth. This is episode one of the twenty twenty four Meat Eater Trivia Championship. This year's championship is unlike any we've done before. There are no playing games. Instead, we have the six players here who average the most points per game in twenty twenty four. This championship will span three episodes. Whoever has the most points after thirty questions will be declared the twenty twenty four Meat Eater Trivia Champion.
Speaker 2: So it's not clear how close was number seven?
Speaker 1: Number seven? Oh so Seth Mabercont. He was the sixth person in the room, and then we had Nate Corey and Hansei.
Speaker 3: So Seth's not just down here hanging out.
Speaker 1: No, he's He's in the top six.
Speaker 2: I've burned up. Congratulations, Seth.
Speaker 1: He talked about it before the mic. Seth could either be the small fish in the big pond, which is this, or he could be the big fish in the small pond, which is the Jabbroni's pool. So he said he likes this. Why is that, Seth? Why do you like being the small fish in the big pond?
Speaker 4: Because I have room to grow?
Speaker 1: That's right, he's got room.
Speaker 3: Picture how you thirty three picture? When he's my age, he'll he'll he'll like be a trivia dominator because he's gots absorbed more shit.
Speaker 1: Uh huh he does. I don't know if we have twenty years of this show to go, but.
Speaker 2: Like, theoretically sure, who did Seth beat out?
Speaker 1: He beat out Nate who was seventh, Corey who was eighth, and Hansi who was ninth. So Seth just made the cut. The episodes matter then for the rest of the year, So keep that in mind when we're playing trivia. I don't want to make the cut for the championship.
Speaker 5: He's his name boldly.
Speaker 2: That's what Spencer likes.
Speaker 1: Uh, what's your problem with Nate?
Speaker 3: So you know he like corrected me about that. You can't say over. I don't know if you heard like, you can't say over and out? Are you aware of this? Okay? Everybody says over and now.
Speaker 1: Some people have emailed me about this to the Trivia inbox, as well.
Speaker 3: You can't say over and ow okay he told me about that.
Speaker 1: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: Are you gonna explain what? I don't know? If you're like you need though, there's.
Speaker 6: A gajillion little kids running around with walkie talkies being like.
Speaker 3: There's people that watched all those seventies movies about truckers that say over now. So on radio etiquette, when I say over, I'm saying I'm done talking, go ahead, right out, I'm gone leaving the conversation. So over and out as you're saying I'm done talking, go ahead, I'm gone. It's not a thing you can't say over and.
Speaker 6: Out, as in, if they were to say something yeah, so how already, how would you communicate that I am done talking and I am leaving the conversation.
Speaker 3: It's not over to you. If let's say you're a weather guy and on news we're news show, and you're with the weather guy, and I go over to you, Yanni, I wouldn't then cut your camera off.
Speaker 1: All right now throw it back to me, Steve, What do you mean say you do? Do the thing to be like, oh, what our problem is? No, just be like over, well, you can tell the problem, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Well. Then he also pointed out that a compliment sandwich is not named properly because the compliment is sitting between insults and a ham sandwich. Where does the ham sit.
Speaker 2: Between the bread and the bread?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an insult sandwich.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 3: And he was texting me there and he was saying correction. Well, no, just like a little problem I have with him. He was texting me the other day and he said something like Roger. He said, like, Roger, come, we'll see you then. Okay. He did that two weeks ago, and I made a joke, don't call me Roger, to which he didn't reply.
Speaker 7: He's never seen an airplane, so he did such a kid, and he says, he said something like Roger.
Speaker 3: Sounds good. I texted him again, thinking he missed my joke the first time, and I said, don't call me Roger the fun person. He comes up to me and says, I see that you're doing a thing about this Roger thing. I'm not replying to it. I just don't think it's funny.
Speaker 1: That's why Nate's not here today.
Speaker 3: I wish she was here. I would beat him.
Speaker 2: I like Nate. Nate really knows the way to Steve's heart.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like, yeah, you really appreciate people that come at you like Nate. Nate does.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He introduced himself by it telling correct to me about something. Okay at the free table. I was at the free table.
Speaker 1: Were you giving or taking?
Speaker 3: He just comes by and goes, you know, no, he just told me something that did that was wrong.
Speaker 1: Again, it's quite the relation and ship YouTube built.
Speaker 3: And one last quick thing, there's a little tension. I didn't know this either, did you know, Just like a Marine Corps army thing with him.
Speaker 1: And Chili don't like it, okay, huh, well, I.
Speaker 6: Think Nate's an officer, right, yeah, that's.
Speaker 5: And he's like clean cut and Chili's kind of got the bad boys that are going right now.
Speaker 3: They're a natural foils. There's a real swing and.
Speaker 2: The tension, uh, you know, come out and.
Speaker 1: I think Steve's made the tension.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, I bet we can make it. This is if Alex has got involved because he's a Marine Corps m I'll have to ask, all right, now, you throw it back to me, Steve, say.
Speaker 3: Go right.
Speaker 1: The entire championship. I'm a sponsored by Athletic Brewing, who have met who will be matching Meat Eater's donation and sponsoring three moneyball questions. He went, what do you got? Okay, I'm gona throw it to Steve real quick, over to Steve perfect right now, you can bring it back to me. H.
Speaker 3: Well, I gotta say something. I like their chilada nada.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: It's like a mechilada chilada whatever. Yeah, with no alcohol. That's my drink, dude, big fan. Then I don't have one in my hand right now, but that's my drink all.
Speaker 1: Right, over back to me.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The winner will get to choose where the three thousand dollars donation goes. The biggest in Meat Eater Trivia history, and combined with the moneyball questions, this year's championship has a donation potential of four thousand, five hundred dollars. Give it up for Athletic Brewing for their continued support a Meat Eater Trivia and conservation. Yeah, three thousand dollars donation with potential for fifteen hundred more.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna give the winner a T shirt?
Speaker 1: Well, you get your name on the plaque that we have outside of the studio here in our green room. It's got Brodie's name on it. It's got Steve's name on it.
Speaker 2: No one looks at that plaque.
Speaker 1: We're gonna add a third name.
Speaker 3: They don't you know what we should do?
Speaker 2: You know how like.
Speaker 6: Memorial gardens and stuff like that around towns, you can like sponsor a bench's that's what we should do.
Speaker 1: A billboard. Maybe let's go bigger than that, a whole billboard.
Speaker 3: Oh we have that one bill we over that's right, all right.
Speaker 1: For the stat of the week this week, we're looking at last year's performance in the Mediater Trivia tournament. Steve won, getting sixteen of twenty questions forrect Tough one. Brody finished in second with fifteen points, Randall and third with thirteen points, Giannis and fourth with eleven points, and Seth and fifth with ten points. That was what we're going off. Last year. Steve got eight correct in each episode.
Speaker 7: Gat going with the proper name today, huh oh wow, let do proper game.
Speaker 2: And he's all right.
Speaker 1: For today's I FAQ, I want to address a previous I faq. Someone asked, what's the weirdest question I've ever gotten, to which I explained how strange it is that about fifty people have sent me faxes. Well, a dozen of you wrote in with this same explanation for why that might be. Apparently, the Amish and Mennonite communities use a service that converts a fax to an email. This is referred to as Ifax, and it bridges the gap between those without internet and those with Internet. Typically it's used to conduct business or in this case, send emails to a podcast. And that brings me to my next question, which is how are these folks listening to the podcast without Internet? Well, there's a sneaky phone service out of Johnstown, Pennsylvania called the Podcast Reader. Here's what it sounds like when you call that houtline. When you call that hotline, play the.
Speaker 8: Clip, Phil, Welcome to the Podcast Reader. ABC News Press one, Fox News two, NPR three, SRN four, Ohio AD Report five, Replay Recording, six, Conference Line seven, AG Commodities Pricing nine, Plain, People in the News eleven, The World and Everything In At twelve, Ben Shapiro thirteen, NBC Nightly fourteen, Apasa Cafe fifteen, Chasing Giants twenty, Oster Home Report twenty one, Z Dog MD twenty two, Trim Healthy Mama thirty, John Maxwell fifty two, Lumber Connection fifty three, Shed Geek fifty four, Jay Scott Outdoors fifty five, Knock on Our Tree fifty six, Meet Eater fifty seven, Bear Grease fifty eight.
Speaker 3: Welcome to this Country Life. I'm your host, Brent Reeed.
Speaker 1: That's what it sounds like. If you call that outline, that's great, and then hit fifty eight to listen to Bear Grease.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you my favorite Clay nukeome amage story. Yeah, Clay's to own a magazine, Bear Hunting Magazine, and the magazine did really well with homage hunters because there was a print magazine. So he had an amige dude that did his distribution in his community. And one day Clay is trying to meet him to hand them the stack of magazines and they're trying to coordinate a meet up along a highway. So he's meeting the Samish guy and the homage guy's got a driver's driving them, and the guy's got a cell phone. Though Clay's like, Okay, we're going to be that whatever exit, and the guys goes, Clay, I'll meet you at the Dull superstore.
Speaker 1: They didn't have that content available.
Speaker 3: Said, let's just met across road and you're at the gas station.
Speaker 6: Spencer, I tell you my favorite facsimile story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is.
Speaker 6: Years ago when I'm doing all things first Light and we're in heavy in dealer sales. And when you're heavy in dealer sales and you're opening up new dealers, you get calls to establish credit all the time. Well, one of our retailers had used first Light as their credit reference to open up terms with a competing hunting clothing manufacturer, a big one.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I'm not totally falling. Explain this again.
Speaker 6: So you're a hunting dealer, right, Like the way a lot of these things work is you don't pay for the clothing as soon as it comes in. You get net terms, so you get thirty days upon receipt of the goods to pay and ideally, in the retailer's world, you've sold enough of those goods to pay for that wholesale markup er good portion of it in that time. Now, the bigger you are, the more terms, the more favorable terms that you can demand, you know, like ninety day, one hundred and twenty day. But you got to start somewhere and you do these like credit checks. Right. So one of our dealers had used first Light as their reference. So a very large hunting clothing manufacturer, their credit department or or accounting department, called me and they in order to establish who we were, they said, yeah, do you know this dealer? Like, yep, we work with them. Okay, how much are they buying from you?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 6: And that's just like something that you don't reveal when you're competing businesses, right, And I was like, I can't tell you that, but you know, guy's a good guy. And they're like, well, that doesn't cut it. And they kept pressing and pressing and pressing, and then she became very demeaning. It was like, well, you guys must be so small and you don't know how business works and yeah, and I was laughing to myself but being polite. And eventually, after saying how we didn't know how things work and we were so small and all the things, she said, now, what's your facts number? I just thought it was so frecking funny, and I'm like, well, we do a lot through.
Speaker 3: Digital these days.
Speaker 6: This is just something must tiny folks do.
Speaker 1: Did you have a fax machine? On hand.
Speaker 6: Then we had kind of the same deal, like you had a number that would convert the facts into an email.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So besides the Ben Shapiro Show, the Trim Healthy MoMA podcast, and Lumber Connections, the Amasha have access to Meat Eater and Bear Grease. Shout out to the folks who are listening to this exact, this exact episode via a hotline. I'm glad you're here, and keep faxing in those questions. All right, last thing before today, I want to hear some predictions on who is going to be the twenty twenty four champion. Brody, what do you think?
Speaker 7: No, I don't make those kind of predictions.
Speaker 1: That's you know, you got nothing.
Speaker 7: No, I just want to know what Steve's drawing.
Speaker 1: Steve, what are you drawing? And who do you think is gonna win?
Speaker 3: Well? I made my name end in a fire breathing dragon. Okay, I ran out of space, so he's kind of puking.
Speaker 4: Uh huh. I like that a lot.
Speaker 1: I think that the defending champions I'd like to win.
Speaker 3: But if I had to guess, I would guess that Randall.
Speaker 1: Went wow, Now you didn't play a lot in twenty twenty four you think that's gonna benefit you.
Speaker 3: Or hurt you. No, hurt, hurt you, just a little rusty.
Speaker 1: Cal Who do you think is gonna win this year?
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with Brody?
Speaker 1: Wow? All right? Going back to the OG champion.
Speaker 2: Did he play enough though to have have like a minimum amount of games to qualify for this he's the last year's champion.
Speaker 7: It gets an Oh, that's right.
Speaker 1: That's how it works, the master.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all to say. There's something like that in golf.
Speaker 1: You get an auto bid for Returney Randall. Who's gonna win this year?
Speaker 5: I said myself last year, and I didn't gonna say, uh, Steve.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, yeah, he was gonna win.
Speaker 9: I'm going Seth, Yeah, Seth? What you got for us? Okay?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: We got three votes for Seth. One final note about the tournament. I've had all these questions fact checked by our very own doctor, Jordan's Sillers, so I'm confident in their accuracy and that Steve won't have any complaints. That's right. He's our our second doctor in the office.
Speaker 3: But it's not quite public.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: The Shelby Inexpert today is a four.
Speaker 1: So our winner should get eight correct answers, and with that we're on to Round one of the Championship. Play the draft. Pill need to know what I stand and win everything.
Speaker 3: I'm just tend to win everything.
Speaker 1: Game on round one, Question one, the topic is biology. This first great question is via Mitchell Prusa, and this will be multiple choice. What do you got to see?
Speaker 3: You always like to look up there? We shouldn't be if I'm staring at you. The whole game shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Have sat you there? I guess all right? What comes between class and family in taxonomic ranking? Is it order, genus, kingdom or phylom? Topic is biology? What comes between class and family in taxonomic ranking? Is it order, genus, kingdom or philom?
Speaker 2: All right, everybody ready?
Speaker 1: I think the batch of questions we have are on the harder side. There will definitely be some hundred percenters. There might be some zero percenters.
Speaker 3: Stop the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've We've got a backup mark or available for you there. We're not going to derail the whole thing. What comes between class and family and taxonomic ranking? Order genus kingdom or file them?
Speaker 7: A long time since high school biology.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say it, but you know, the advantage of high school is you don't think about anything else. Your brains so much clearer.
Speaker 2: High schooler the world.
Speaker 6: It's like girls and nothing else.
Speaker 1: In taxonomic rankings.
Speaker 3: You know my high schooler one day last like when he says, you know, I'm gonna start doing good at.
Speaker 2: School, and like instantly started doing good at school?
Speaker 3: What was going on? What's before? You just make it was like it was like instant's just he's like, you know what exactly designed that he was.
Speaker 2: Gonna do good?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set, saying Genus Giannis says, Genus Randall says order cal order, Steve order, Brody order. The correct answer is order four of our six. He's got that one.
Speaker 7: You look at this the other way, it actually looks like a gobbler, Like.
Speaker 2: So, how's it go?
Speaker 6: I think it's a dragon with acid dragons.
Speaker 1: The hierarchy is life, domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species. Some examples of order are primates for humans, carnivora for coyotes, and gala forms for pheasants.
Speaker 3: You know that, how did you know that they teach you this thing? King Philip, But I can't remember the rest, So I knew Kingdom file them, and then I knew what I mean.
Speaker 1: I knew what some of that self was and he got it right. Question two the topic is cooking. What does m P stand for when listed as the cost of seafood or meat on a menu? What does m P stand for when listed as the seafood.
Speaker 3: Or two options? For you? There there's a.
Speaker 1: Brown and our players all look confident. This may be a one.
Speaker 3: You'd like to stick with. Red, I've got.
Speaker 1: Making pasta. Oh that's what MP stands for exactly.
Speaker 4: Now, I put military and police.
Speaker 1: What does MP stand for as the cost of food or meat on a menu? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and Yannis and Randall cal and Steve and Brody saying market price. They got it. The correct answer is market price accepted expensive. No market price implies that the listed item is subject to market fluctuations, with the cost changing on a daily basis. It's most commonly used with lobster, crab, oyster, salmon, tuna, and mushrooms. Besides accounting for price, the MP designation is meant to make it seem like the menu item is exclusive and seasonal.
Speaker 7: The other day we ate our last chunk of king salmon, and my boy looked up the price of a pound of king salmon. He's like, man, we made money on that.
Speaker 1: That's a good way to get rich.
Speaker 3: You'll not have taken to do it because you know, like men us are so full of it when it comes to fish descriptions. I just know, I'm like, explain that to me. You know when you say that it's a whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you get a satisfying answer every time?
Speaker 3: Never we have, you know, New Zealand like Hawaiian. You know, I'll text a friend like, are the blank in Hawaii?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Are you sure that's what that is? Well, let me uh, I'm not sure. Let me ask the chef.
Speaker 1: Question three. The topic is hunting. These two words that are used to describe moon phases imply that the illuminated part is growing or shrinking.
Speaker 2: You need both both words.
Speaker 1: These two words that are used to describe moon phases imply that the illuminated part is growing or shrinking. Some optimistic players again, except.
Speaker 3: For maybe Steve Well, give me a minute.
Speaker 1: Okay, give him a minute. His question three, The topic is hunting. These two words that are used to describe moon phase is imply that the illuminated part is growing or shrinking. Seth, do you have this one right? I think so, Steve, do you have this one right? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying waxing and waning Yannis and Randall and cal and Steven Brody with the same answer. The correct answer is waning and waxing. A waning moon is one that is growing, while a waxing moon is one that is shrinking. You can tell if a moon is waning or waxing by looking at what side is illuminating.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no no, what do you got waning? Isn't that shrinking?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry I had it backwards. Good catch, Steve, I didn't have doctor Jordan Siller's fact check.
Speaker 7: Mine which one's better for killing whitetail?
Speaker 1: You're honest, drink, I don't know. You can tell. You can tell if a moon is waning or waxing by looking at what side is illuminated. In the northern hemisphere, if the right side is illuminated, then the moon is waning or growing, and if the left side is illuminated.
Speaker 3: Stop saying that, Yeah, you're right, I love this whole thing.
Speaker 2: Wrong, we get it.
Speaker 3: It's like Japanese script. You read Japanese script backwards. That's how the.
Speaker 2: Unless you're Japanese.
Speaker 3: If the school listen, kids, we do it backwards.
Speaker 1: I don't trust any of my flavor texts for this one, so I'm just going to tell you to go read the Wired article on me dot com called new research confirms the moon doesn't affect dear movement. Question four. The topic is fishing, but Mark believes that it does.
Speaker 2: Now. I've been in talks with him recently about because we're getting ready to have doctor Bronson Stricklen and because he described himself as moon curious.
Speaker 1: Future Meat episode Question four. The topic is fishing. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Charlie Cuber for sending this great question. Charlie is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win the listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the Meat eater dot com. Merriam Webster defines this eleven letter word as quote an expanse of water with many scattered islands. Merriam Webster defines this eleven letter word as an expanse of water with many scattered islands. This question four, Randall you have this one? Right?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 2: I hope?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Okay, Seve looks confident.
Speaker 5: I've been reading a lot about the war in the Pacific, So.
Speaker 3: Shut up islands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's not that's not a stretch.
Speaker 3: Okay, like any kind of that chit chatty clue.
Speaker 1: Given, Brody, do you have this one?
Speaker 5: Got a lot more comfortable with that in your absence.
Speaker 3: I got a tidbit for you when you're ready.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: What do you call them?
Speaker 1: Flavor text?
Speaker 3: Yeah, go for it. I could give it now.
Speaker 1: Oh it's about this question you're saying. Okay, Yanni, you have this one right.
Speaker 2: I came up with an eleven letter word, but I'm not sure about my spelling. There ain't too many eleven letter words.
Speaker 1: I bet eleven letter word. It's defined as an expanse of water with many scattered islands. Callum, Seth. Do not have an answer quite yet?
Speaker 2: Come on, Seth, I bet on you. I know as soon as I hear it.
Speaker 1: Mmmm, I'm gonna be pissed.
Speaker 5: But keep thinking, just keep thinking.
Speaker 2: You know, back to the moon thing and rap bringing around to Clay Clan. I had a long conversation the other day about scent control.
Speaker 3: Does he believe in the moon.
Speaker 2: Nope, doesn't believe in the moon for deer, But he grew up with an ardent. His father was ardently into scent control, like to the point where it drove. He thinks it drove his two brothers away from deer hunting.
Speaker 3: Eating apples up the tree and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know about No. I think more about the clothing and and doing all that. But now Clay thinks that it's just like you just believe it to believe it right, Like it's a bunch of whoy.
Speaker 3: I mean, like the wind is scent control and that's it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then I see on Instagram yesterday the Clay can walk around to go hangers and find water is real science, dude.
Speaker 3: I've spent more time with him on those wires. It's not real. I've done it with them.
Speaker 2: It's just people are so interesting that you can sell clearly.
Speaker 3: Control in any kind of like controlled circumstance. They can't do better than ran them. But I've done it dude, it messes with your head.
Speaker 2: We wrote about it in the kid's book.
Speaker 3: I've gone out with them with the wires. It messes with your hand.
Speaker 4: Is it supposed to be like a divining rod?
Speaker 3: Or he does like called a witch and ride because it's like makes it seem a little.
Speaker 1: I can't go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and Cow without an answer. Then we have Giannis, Randall, Steve and Brody saying archipelago.
Speaker 2: I would have gotten correct, how you pronounce it.
Speaker 1: Archipelago. Some examples of archipelagos are the Florida Keys, Hawaii, and the Virgin Islands. Most archipela archipelagoes are formed by volcanoes, glaciers, or erosion. These island chains are often rich with life that's unique to what's found on the mainland.
Speaker 5: And the allusions, Yeah, that's what my about.
Speaker 3: I named all of those and got the Ring of Fire and John mcfee's Pulitzer Prize winning Annals of the Former World. He explains that in eighty million years, Japan will have accreded the Illusion Archipelago and docked it up against Alaska.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm no.
Speaker 3: Wild Time Wars.
Speaker 1: Question five the topic is a conservation.
Speaker 5: That's gonna be all over Instagram.
Speaker 1: The Greater wind Wood Exotic Animal Park, which was the focus of the Tiger King documentary, was located in this state.
Speaker 2: Oh, buddy, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Question five, The topic is conservation. The Greater Windwood Exotic Animal Park, which was the focus of the Tiger King documentary, was located in this state.
Speaker 7: This is one of those questions that really wanders outside the boundaries.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you in the flavor text why it's so relevant.
Speaker 2: I don't really care.
Speaker 1: The Greater wind Wood Exotic Animal Park, which was the focus of the Tiger King documentary, was located in this state. Who hasn't seen Tiger King in here?
Speaker 3: Steve?
Speaker 1: Okay, Steve Brody and.
Speaker 6: Cal podcast was seth about Tiger King. Be honest, you've seen it, but I still don't remember.
Speaker 1: You need to tell me what state that Greater wind Wood Exotic Animal Park was located in.
Speaker 6: There's several states that allow for this type of stuff to happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got a narrow down to a few.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's amazing is that that Gal Carol Bakin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, Cal knows her, but he hasn't seen the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and Jack as anti hunting.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Call you ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying Oklahoma. Jannis says Florida, Randall says Oklahoma. Cal Oklahoma, Steve Texas, Brody Texas. The correct answer is Oklahoma. Who cal r Seth got that one right?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Who is it?
Speaker 3: Me here?
Speaker 2: Got it perfect?
Speaker 1: We'll find out here after this. This is question five. Joe Exotic owned the zoo for seventeen years. It was purchased by Jeff Lowe in twenty sixteen, then a court ordered that it be given to Carol Baskin in twenty twenty. She has since sold the property. Joe Exotic is currently serving a twenty one year sentence for one count of murder for hire, eight counts of Lacy Act violations, and nine counts of Endangered Species acts.
Speaker 5: Violet, So she didn't get his pardon.
Speaker 1: He has not gotten his partner yet, but he sure works on Trump for that. He leans on three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, I think the I think the the presidential pardon was such a mistake and it's a national disgrace. I'm talking everyone everyone. Rarely does someone get pardoned I'm like, oh cool.
Speaker 1: Joe Exotic follow up all under.
Speaker 3: That if they could get a like.
Speaker 6: One music star that Reagan, I would love.
Speaker 3: To have the presidential pardon the way it is just a national embarrassment.
Speaker 6: Reagan pardoned a country music star like basically based off of fandom and the lyrics, but his like the type of person that that was was like a walking serial killer. Mm yeah, and it was like, well, people seem to love the music, so.
Speaker 1: Brody Joe Exotic had seventeen violations.
Speaker 2: I got you. I just didn't like it because I don't know it.
Speaker 3: Feil.
Speaker 1: We're halfway through round one. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 4: Here's where it stands. Gents. We've got Seth and Giannis tied up with three points, cal Steven Brody I'll have four points apiece, and Randall Williams is in first place with a perfect game and five points.
Speaker 5: This weighs heavily on me.
Speaker 3: I've probably been doing better too by the sat around watching TV.
Speaker 6: It was on the Cocaines and Rhinestones podcast.
Speaker 4: I'll look it up after the game.
Speaker 5: Sorry, are you dialing into the podcast hotline?
Speaker 2: Col? Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, if you guys haven't listened to Cocaine and Ryanstones. I mean it is a fantastic.
Speaker 1: I didn't hear that the title.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 6: It's David allen Coe's kid.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Question six, the topic is natural history. Daniel Freeman was the first to take advantage of this law, which was signed by Abe Lincoln to give public land to private citizens. Brody and Randall already have their answer for question six. Daniel Freeman was the first to take advantage of this law, which was signed by Abe Lincoln to give public land to private citizens. Steve with a loud answer over there, now you're you're giving a hint to your commors about how much writing you're doing.
Speaker 4: There, says Reagan. Pardon Merle Haggard.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 6: It wasn't Maybe I had that screwed up with somebody else. That's the only time I've ever been like, oh good, Please don't think that I was talking about Merle Haggard.
Speaker 3: I want to go on the record. That's the one time I've been.
Speaker 1: Daniel Freeman was the first to take advantage of this law, which was signed by Abe Lincoln to give public land to private citizens.
Speaker 3: I mean, what kind of weird authority? Oh, sorry, not not this. If it went to the Supreme Court, if each case in the vote and you had to get a majority vote from the Supreme Court after being nominated by the president, I could get on board, but like, just give someone unilateral like on the way out the door, sure, uniladder.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure you let him go, or on the way in the.
Speaker 3: Door, on the way in the door especially watch Oh yeah, you'd be like, oh, I don't know, maybe he did something wrong.
Speaker 5: If he did, it's kind of like it's kind of like the super Bowl halftime show of presidential administrations. Just like this weird novelty that you know is going to pop up. I wonder who's going to get it this year?
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and Janice and Randall and cal and Steve Enbrody saying the Homestead Act, they got it.
Speaker 6: The correct answer is, this isn't the Homestead Act that everybody thinks about.
Speaker 1: Though, what's what's your problem?
Speaker 3: See he wrote homestead so did you? No? He didn't, right, I was just saving time. He didn't write act.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The Homestead Act was created in eighteen sixty two. It allowed any citizen who had never taking up arms against the US government to claim one hundred and sixty acres of public property. In return, that person had to live on the property, build a home, and farm the land for five years. About two hundred and seventy million acres, or ten percent of the United States was claimed under the Homestead Act.
Speaker 3: Was it a per person or per family thing?
Speaker 1: I think you had to be over twenty one years old, so that probably cut off from uh, you know.
Speaker 6: Everybody had a family at twenty one.
Speaker 2: We got a new one.
Speaker 5: We got a new one just introduced in the Montana legislature, Yeah, which is selling off state parcels under one hundred acres.
Speaker 6: Only available to folks who have been in the state for ten years. Oh and the maximum acreage is five So kind of a funny one.
Speaker 1: Cheering for that one.
Speaker 3: Now, Question seven, A lot of pheasant hunting spots gone exactly.
Speaker 1: Question seven sit on the topic it's conservation. This is the Athletic Brewing moneyball question of the week. For every correct answer for by Athletic Brewing is going to make a one hundred dollars donation. That's captive five hundred dollars. This week Athletic Brewing is giving to the National Wild Turkey Federation. Here is your moneyball question. What federal agency directly manages national grasslands?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: This is question seven? Topic is conservation. What federal agency directly manages national grasslands? This is our moneyball question. So for every correct answer, Captain, five correct answers, we're making a five hundred dollars donation to Athletic Brewing excuse me, via athletic Brewing to NWTF.
Speaker 5: I wish I had some athletic brewing to celebrate this moneyball question, but it's just so darn good I drank it already.
Speaker 1: We can get you another one after this perfect. Do you have this one right? Randall? With confidence?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I think you look like you're the only one who is very confident about this one. What federal agency directly manages national grasslands? Our other five players are leaking confidence?
Speaker 3: M hmm, I got two downy Wow, I need to scratch one of.
Speaker 1: You boys. Ready, sure, Steve, I think we're waiting on you. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set saying the National Park Service Janni as the National Park Service, Randall says the US Forest Service cal says the US Forest Service, and the USDA.
Speaker 3: He says us fish And.
Speaker 1: Okay, he says the USD erase the line through it.
Speaker 6: That wasn't intentional. Sorry, I'm not trying to screw with anybody. I said USDA.
Speaker 1: We have Steve saying the National Park Service, he crossed out BLM. We have Brody saying the National Forest Service, he crossed out USDA and Department of the Interior. The correct answer is the US Forest Service. I think we had what three of our players, I think two of them. So that's a two hundred dollars donation from Athletic Brewing going to NWTF.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Turkey Federation.
Speaker 1: The Forest Service manages twenty National grasslands, most of which stretch from North Dakota to Texas. These areas make up four million acres, which is bigger than cannnecticuette. National grasslands are managed similar to National forests and are often open hunting, fishing, grazing, and mineral extraction.
Speaker 7: You know what's weird about them, though, is you roll through them and you like think you can jump out of the car and shoot an antelope, and you can't. In a lot of places, It's like people are running branches and farms on the gland.
Speaker 3: A lot of times I get them wrong, and I didn't really get them wrong.
Speaker 1: You just got this one.
Speaker 3: This one. I just got this wrong.
Speaker 4: I feel like National Grasslands on on exer purple.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong. Thank you, right, that's what made mean HM to National Park Service question National Parks eight.
Speaker 1: The topic is cooking. This next great question is via Patrick John Riley. Bone Appetite defines this six letter word as quote, a naturally occurring thickener and stabilizer helping jams, jellies and fruit preserves. Set a confident room on this one. They've gotten their swagger back Bone appetite, there's got that look. Six letter word as a naturally occurring thickener and stabilizer helping jams, jellies and fruit preserves. The word okay. Steve has pointed out Randall has a whiteboard. Are you picturing it backwards like the Japanese?
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm starting. I'm starting with the jam or jelly and then pulling it apart. In my head.
Speaker 1: This is question eight.
Speaker 3: Time to play cal Do you have this one right?
Speaker 6: I think so?
Speaker 1: Six letter words occurring thickener and stabilizer shown jams, jellies and fruit preserves. Randall, how you doing that?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'm gonna get it.
Speaker 1: If this keeps up, Okay, let's.
Speaker 3: Just wrap person.
Speaker 1: There's got to be some kind of cut off.
Speaker 3: Let's go. He don't have it. No sense of sitting around waiting.
Speaker 4: Now he's writing something.
Speaker 1: They're getting to it. That's okay, give him ten seconds. You remember this, Randall for the next time you're sitting on an answer, and Steve is it?
Speaker 5: I thought I was very polite and low key about the last question.
Speaker 1: Bone appetite got the sixth letter word as a naturally around.
Speaker 3: Now it's like really.
Speaker 1: Dragging jams, jellies and fruit preserved. Set is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and Randall without an answer. Cal Steve Brody say pect it? They got it? The correct answer is pect it.
Speaker 3: What's it made me happier than getting one right at Archipelago?
Speaker 1: Was that answer there somewhere?
Speaker 3: It was?
Speaker 1: Okay? Is found naturally in fruits and vegetables, but there are also commercial options. When heated with sugar and acid, pectin forms a mesh that traps liquid and as it cools, it sets and suspends pieces of fruit. To see pectin in action, watch our wild and whole video on the mediator dot com called how to Make Jelly.
Speaker 5: However long it took Steve to write that down was as long as I had to think about the question.
Speaker 3: I understand because you started heckling, he says.
Speaker 1: Question nine. The topic is fishing. Located in the Sierra Nevadas. This is North America's largest alpine lake. We're gonna hold off on a scoreboard update until after question ten.
Speaker 3: This round, I wonder what the answer is.
Speaker 1: Answer yes, The points will roll over into Episodes two and three were on question nine. Located in the Sierra Nevadas, this is North America's largest alpine lake. Randall is confident. Our other players are not. Oh I've gotten answer, okay, but are you confident?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, because it's the only thing that's in my brain right now.
Speaker 1: So this question it lives it Question nine thirty questions.
Speaker 5: I was about to write that down before we finished the question.
Speaker 3: Wow, I thought you know the answer? Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought it's a question about animals, though, do you know the answer?
Speaker 3: Still? I'm gonna write down what's in it?
Speaker 1: Okay? But as a reminder, we're looking for the name water north America's largest alpine lake. Johnny, how we doing?
Speaker 2: I gonna have an answer, Randon, would.
Speaker 1: You like to fill this silence with some poking.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've spent some time in the Sierra of Spencer, Okay for gold section of the Jo Trail through King's Canyon, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 6: There's a fire, there's.
Speaker 5: No there was a fire?
Speaker 2: Is a man made?
Speaker 3: Like? Yeah?
Speaker 2: How do I do it?
Speaker 3: Phil?
Speaker 1: I just go?
Speaker 3: Is everybody he trailed out.
Speaker 1: Like this located located in the Sierra Nevada and it goes on to the North America's largest alpine lake. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and real answers?
Speaker 3: That's it?
Speaker 1: Crater like Jannis says Whitney Randall and col say Tahoe. Steve says Golden Trail. Brody, the correct answer is Lake Tahoe, you Brody, col Randall get that one right.
Speaker 3: That's what they kill a guy in Aaron the end of Godfather three or two.
Speaker 1: Sure, measured by volume, Lake Tahoe is the biggest lake in America. That's not a great lake. It is one thousand, six hundred and forty five feet deep, making it second only to Crater Lake as the deepest lake in the country. Lake Tahoe has lake trout, brown trout, rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, coconut salmon, and a variety of warm water species.
Speaker 6: First time I went to Lake Tahoe. Uh, this is just a story specifically to embarrass my little sister. We came in from the south, super windy road, real pretty, and the cop puked all over the back seat.
Speaker 1: Okay, your sister's the cop.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, you gotta go now.
Speaker 1: Here's a correct answer review for our listeners at home. One was Order two, Marketplace three, Waning and Waxing, fo Mark and Pelago five, Oklahoma six, the Homestead Act seven, US Forest Service eight Pectin nine Lake Tahoe. Here's question ten. The topic is hunting. This province calls itself Land of the Living Skies with Ducks Unlimited, declaring it quote the continent's most important breeding area for dabbling ducks. This province calls itself Land of the Living Skies with Ducks Unlimited, declaring it the continent's most important breeding area for dabbling ducks. Seth quick to answer, Seth do you have a guess or do you know this one?
Speaker 2: I have a guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to get a scoreboard update from Phil after this we see how our players are doing after round one of the three round Trivia Championship.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: This province calls itself Land of the Living Skies with Ducks Unlimited, declaring it the contents most important breeding area for dabbling ducks. It's everybody ready.
Speaker 3: My wife's taking tennis lessons and she got yelled at her swearing too much. They talked her about swearing too much lessons.
Speaker 1: What are some examples of the word that she uses?
Speaker 6: You're more of a pickleball?
Speaker 1: What are the words that she swears with?
Speaker 3: Start with the one that got or was was not a terrible one.
Speaker 1: Okay, just like a s h hmmm, real loud wow.
Speaker 3: But she said, with most swings.
Speaker 1: That'll do it.
Speaker 2: You know, lately when people have been dropping the frig on me, have you noticed like it's become a thing in our society and our culture. You haven't noticed this?
Speaker 5: I mean it's always been around, depends who you're hanging out with.
Speaker 2: What the the real f bomb? No frig frig?
Speaker 3: I feel like that's been around for We tell our kids you can't do that, it's the same as doing it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I feel like it's become more of a thing, where like people that I know that don't ever use the real f bomb now walk around very loosely same frig and I stopped them mid conversation now and go, you know what when you say that, I think you're saying and not frig now.
Speaker 3: Please, Now our kids run around going gaff. I don't gaff.
Speaker 2: Good for them, you know what.
Speaker 1: I applaud that you say.
Speaker 6: The only gaff in this house is something you grab a helm.
Speaker 1: Does everyone have an answer for the province that calls itself Land of the Living Skies and it's the continent's most important breeding area for dabbling ducks. Go ahead and reveal your a little.
Speaker 3: Joke into mine.
Speaker 1: We have said Brody and the Honest and Randall saying Saskatchewan. Cal says Ontario. Steve says Saskatchewan. What's that say? Cat?
Speaker 3: We Nugget was filming Atchwe.
Speaker 1: And Brody crossed out Saskatchewan and wrote down Manitoba. The correct answer, it's Saskatchewan. I think we had four of them.
Speaker 2: Pains me.
Speaker 6: So much because Saskatchewan is so badass for waterfowl. I've just never ever heard anybody say it's the land of the Living skot.
Speaker 1: That's what they call themselves. Tourism Saskatchewan, Tourism Saskatchewan.
Speaker 2: And Saskatchewan Tourism.
Speaker 1: Saskatchewan says the land of the Living Sky's monikers because of their northern lights, beautiful sunsets, and migrating birds. Some estimates say half of the continent's waterfowl migrate to or through the province. Well make Saskatchewan so duck goose friendly is it's shallow water lakes and grain production. Phil We just wrapped up round one. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 4: Here's where it stands. We have Seth in last place currently with five points. Coming up next to is Giannispitellis with six. Tied up with seven points a piece are Ryan Callahan and Stephen Ranello.
Speaker 6: They have how embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Next up is Brody with eight and in first place, just one point ahead of Brody. Randall Williams has nine points.
Speaker 3: It goes to thirty.
Speaker 1: Thirty questions we have and then we'll do three time breaking panic if we have a time at the end of those thirty.
Speaker 2: Thirty questions in just this game.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, this is the end of episode one. We're gonna take a break and we're gonna come back and record episode two. And as a reminder, the scores will carry over to episodes two and three. And thanks to Athletic.
Speaker 3: Saying anything the next game.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Athletic for helping make this the biggest donation Meat Eater Trivia history. Thanks sending two hundred dollars to NWTF for that moneyball question.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna silent Bob at that whole game. I'll believe it.
Speaker 1: Well, this episode went long. I think we burned up all of our banters, so I bet next episode will go quicker next week. Join us next week for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 3: Yes, Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth mellow tones.
Speaker 2: He lays them questions down.
Speaker 3: He likes taking those two and three year old bucks.
Speaker 2: It is an avid amateur lockw