Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Our Bloomberg News team out with a piece this week about how black mothers with young children are leaving the workforce at an alarming pace. Labor force participation carol among black mothers aged twenty five to fifty four with children under five. So it's a really important demographic piece. Twenty five to fifty four is the prime working age okay has fallen eleven and a half percentage points in just three months. It's dropped to its lowest level in over thirty years. This is according to analysis of BLS data by Lauren Bauer and Economic studies. Fellow at the Brookings Institution.
Speaker 2: Back with us is Mark Moril. He is president and CEO of the civil rights and urban advocacy organization, the National Urban League. He joins us from New York. Mark, thank you so much, nice to have you. Thanks back on back on Bloomberg. You know we set up tim I just mentioned we were talking about labor force participation among black mothers. The piece continues to note that the decline is not simply part of a broader retreat among working mothers driven by return to office mandates and childcare pressures. White and Hispanic mothers have seen much smaller pullbacks. That suggests the reversal is particularly cute among Black mothers. It's a group of workers we know who are traditionally more likely to work than their peers. What is going on? Give us your view on this.
Speaker 3: One thing that's going on is that many of these Black women have been laid off from their jobs. The DOGE cuts, the attacks on diversity in corporate America have costs live literally over half a million, maybe three quarters of a million Black women their jobs. These are professional black women in many respects, so with college degrees and graduate degrees. And that impact is exacerbated by the fact that childcare is exceedingly expensive and difficult. So mothers, if you do not have a job, you may have to retreat from the workforce and stop looking for work for a period of time. And I think that is what is going on. It is difficult out here. I mean, I mean these numbers. I can say anecdotally, I run into so many Black women who have never known unemployment who are now out of work. And these are hot, excuse me, highly educated, college educated black women.
Speaker 4: This is what's going on.
Speaker 3: Look at this job's report, we've got a loss of jobs, and then we've got a black unemployment rate at six point three percent, where two years ago it was four point three percent.
Speaker 4: So things are deteriorating. It's tough out here, it's difficult.
Speaker 1: Mark. What is what is notable about this is you know this this report that that we're getting from our Bloomberg News team. This this came out yesterday. Okay, we get additional data about the workforce today, as we do every single month with the payrolls report. But last week, or I should say last month, just at the end of last month, you and the team at the National Urban League came out with a stark warning essentially that says the American dream may not be dead for many Black Americans, but it's further away than at any point since the Civil rights movement. How does the data that Carol and I were talking about fit into what you found big picture about where we are since the civil rights movement?
Speaker 3: I think it supports the fact that in the last eighteen months we've seen a deterioration and it's been an attack on many of the structures, the Civil Rights Act, the EEOC, the commitment by the government to lead when it comes to diversity and all of the retreats and all of the retrenchments. And when we talk to people in the community, and this is black people, but I would say even beyond they say the American dream is beyond my reach. The idea of a stable job that pays and allows me to prepare for retirement, that I can own, a home that I can afford, take care of health care, take care of my parents, take care of my children. We are dealing with what the American people are saying. With Black Americans are saying that the American dream is beyond reach. We have to restore, revive, refine the American dream, which is why our State of Black American Board includes a five to six point affordability agenda. My premise is that America's priorities are misplaced. The misplacement is that this focus on wars two billion dollars a day in Iraq and the depletion of our missile stock stock piles a fiscal plan, which is all the Big Ugly Bill is called.
Speaker 4: I call it the Big Ugly bill.
Speaker 3: That shifts resources significantly away from middle class Americans, working class Americans, aspiring middle class Americans, and vulnerable Americans to the richest billionaires in America, just one thousand people. And the American people on the right, the middle, and the left are not pleased with the direction of the country and the priorities of the country. So this board speaks to Black America, but I think it speaks much more broadly to all of the American people.
Speaker 2: Mark, do you want to grab some water? We don't know if you need to get a little bit of water. Are you okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to work through this. Yeah, I've been I had a little hiccup attack.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, we've all been there.
Speaker 4: Mark, that's right.
Speaker 2: We've also had coffee attacks on air. So that's fine as long as you're okay. We were just want to make.
Speaker 1: Sure to be fair. Marcus spent you know, his lifetime speaking in front of large groups as a former mayor of New Orleans from nineteen ninety four to two thousand and two. He was the city's youngest mayor. He has was a Louisiana State senator too in the nineteen nineties. So yeah, we've all been there, Mark.
Speaker 2: We have definitely been there for your indulgent Mark. You know, one of the things we think about we talk about a lot. I mean, the first date of Black America was published in seventy six. It's a long time ago, right, there's a lot of years. There's a lot has happened, you know, and I am amazed at some things have certainly gotten better, but we still have some really tough situations for segments of our population, for segments of what is America. And I don't know if we're making progress anymore. When you look at policies that are out there, what could we do better?
Speaker 3: One thing we can do better is focused on income, the earnings of people. The fact that we haven't had a comprehensive national minimum wage bill since two thousand and seven is tragic. Even though we've been through economy up excuse me ups and downs.
Speaker 4: We need a national living wage bill.
Speaker 3: We've got to recognize that too many people are working hard everyday day, they work sometimes two jobs, but they still can't make ends meet.
Speaker 4: So we've got to work on income.
Speaker 3: We've also got to work on what is driving the affordability crisis, and that is housing. The cost of housing. The cost of housing has increased five times faster than incomes. Think about that since the year two thousand there are many reasons for it.
Speaker 4: We need to build.
Speaker 3: We need an aggressive, an aggressive initiative in this country to build more affordable housing. And I think we ought to take the housing voucher program, which has worked for many, many years, and expand the eligibility. It's sometimes called the Section A program. We could do it with the exact same amount of money we're spending on your animal.
Speaker 4: That is the point. It's an issue of priorities. What are we prioritizing in America?
Speaker 3: Are we prioritizing affordability, are we prioritizing inclusion, or are we prioritizing destruction? You know, we're prioritizing the transfer of wealth to the highest and most successful Americans. And look, I'm not a billionaire basher, that's not the point. I just think billionaires shouldn't get any special breaks, no special privileges. I think they ought to pay the same taxes as a you know, as a reporter or an anchor, or a nurse, or a firefighter, or a teacher or a service worker. I think that is the fundamental principle of fairness in America.
Speaker 1: But Mark, I want to dig into this housing part of the conversation. We talk about this a lot, and there's there's certainly no clear, easy answer to this, and that's why I'm interested in what you have to say. You worked, you were in local politics as as mayor of New Orleans, you're a state senator. You have a national position. Now it's not a political position, but it's a national advocacy organization. Doesn't this have Doesn't the housing issue have to have to start the local level because so much of this is about you know where exactly a home.
Speaker 3: There can be no doubt that the local level is important that. I think cities and mayors all across America. I mean even in New York You've seem a whole series of mayors here do what they can with the resources that they have.
Speaker 4: This is a resource problem. Here's why.
Speaker 3: The housing market, the building of affordable housing slow now with nine eleven and it never bounce back. So all estimates are that we're fortified million units short. This takes a big play in the early twentieth century. In the middle twentieth century, when we had a housing crisis in America, the federal government stepped in and produced tools.
Speaker 4: Those tools were Faha, Fanny May Freddie Mack.
Speaker 3: Later on in the nineteen seventies, the Community Reinvestment Act, a series of tools that helped to leverage private sector funding public money with state and local action.
Speaker 4: It was enormously successful. We've got to get.
Speaker 3: Back to this idea that it is not the FEDS versus the state, state versus the city, not the public sector versus the private sector, but a combination of all of these factors to deal with one of America's great crisis. The cost of gas is hurting Americans. I would say that the cost of housing is really hurting Americans, young and old, black and white. It's more exacerbated for black and brown communities, but it is not limited to black and brown communities. Well, we face and so yes local action, but it's a combination because the problem is so massive. Four to five million housing units underwater in the country. Too many Americans paying up to fifty percent plus of their take home income for rents and mortgages.
Speaker 4: This is not sustainable if we are.
Speaker 3: Going to revive, reform and resuscitate the American dream.
Speaker 2: You know, we think so much too. We talk a lot about the Investment Office audience, and you know, we have to remind everybody that not everybody's in the stock market, and there are two, three or four different Americas, and it does feel like we're at a point in time where we've really forgotten so many members of our population and what makes up America. Do you have hope going forward for Black Americans and those that are forgotten.
Speaker 3: I'm an eternal optimists, but I do think people are going to have to send a message in these midterms to rebalance the conversation because the premise here is what are America's priorities. I believe that America's priority should always be centered around domestic tranquility, domestic economic growth, inclusionary economic growth. And I think when we do that as a nation, the public sector and the private sector thrive. The private sector and the stock market thrive. Remember, two thirds to three fourths of the America economy is driven by consumer spending. People have money in their pocket to spend. This is why I'm such a proponent of wage increases and such a proponent of increasing the minimum wage. It's going to benefit the overall economy. And we have to embrace a if you will, if you will, a a a if you will A philosophy of public private partnerships at the national level. We have to embrace the philosophy of the states, working with the Feds, working with local government in order to accomplish these big things. I think I see mayors all across the country. I know we're active in the housing market. We helped two thousand people become homeowners for the first time last year. We could do four thousand, We could do five thousand if there was a housing supply and an increase in the number of twos. When I was Mayor of New Orleans, I put a big, big, big push on this, but I had Fannie May, Freddie Mac, the banks, community based lenders, the Clinton administration all partnering with us, and we increase significantly the number of housing units and the significant number of affordable housing units in the city, not only for rent, but also for home ownership.
Speaker 2: Mark, we know there's so much to go through, and we do hope you will afford us some time in the future again so we could continue this conversation, especially as you mentioned with you guys, we would love that. We would love that go get some water. Hopefully the hiccups are over. We've all been there. We've all been there. Mark, staywell, have a good weekend Mark Moriol. He's president CEO of the civil rights and urban advocacy organization. Of course it is the National Urban League joining us as we appreciate his time on this Friday