Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our one on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan It's Dan Patrick Show. We have Sports Anger. I'll tell you about that. Coming up.
Speaker 3: We have two Hall of Famers. C. C.
Speaker 2: Sabbathia is going to join us freshly minted Hall of Famer and Joe Thomas Cleveland Brown's Hall of Fame Offensive Tackle. Phone calls always welcome every day. But Tyler sitting by eight seven seven three DP show stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. And we say good morning to those listening on our radio affiliates around the country. Stub openings with the Cowboys, Jags, Jets, Raiders, and the Saints, and you start to wonder, what are these teams waiting for?
Speaker 3: Who are they waiting for?
Speaker 2: If you're waiting for somebody who's still in the playoffs, then I can understand that. But Cliff Kingsbury, he says that he's come being the offensive coordinator for the Commanders until you get a head coaching offer, and then maybe you're not as comfortable there. It's nice to have Jayden Daniels there, but Cliff Kingsbury would probably like another shot. I think he's only forty five, but like another shot at being a head coach. It didn't go well the first time around with Arizona, but he has since been kind of a reclamation project here. You know, the same with Kellen Moore. Kellen Moore got kicked to the curb by the Cowboys, went to the Chargers, and now he's with the Eagles, and I guess he might be the leading candidate for the Cowboys right now.
Speaker 3: But how old is Cliff Kingsbury thirty six?
Speaker 4: No, Kellen Moore thirty six Easter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cliff Kingsbury I think is in his forties there. But you have openings here Cowboys, Jags, Jets, Raiders, Saints. Aaron Glenn reportedly will get an offer from the Jets. Mike McCarthy maybe he has his choice here. Maybe that that's a hold up the Jags and the Saints. The Raiders' situation. The Raiders, by all accounts, wanted Ben Johnson, thought they were going to get Ben Johnson. Tom Brady spent an hour talking to Ben Johnson last week, and you know when they fired Antonio Peers, I wasn't surprised. I said, all along, Tom Brady's going to come in. He's going to be running the show. They fired him, and then they waited a couple days and they fired their GM, Tom Telesco, and te LESCo was only there for a year, and I thought, okay, you fired your coach. But then when you fire your GM, it feels like the coach you want to bring in wants to bring in his own GM, or at least have a collaborative effort here of let's decide this together of who is going to be the general manager. Did Tom Brady think that Ben Johnson was going to come to the Raiders but he wanted to pick his own GM or at least help with that selection process. And if you're going to have somebody who's lined up just the way Kyle Shanahan and John Lynchar with San Francisco, with your coach and your GM, that makes a lot of sense. Well Bears got him, and I think that's the big surprise. I think Tom Brady thought, hey, I'm gonna spend time with him, and if he wants to bring in his own GM, then I'm gonna let Tom te LESCo go after one year. I don't know if they would have made these decisions if they didn't think they were if they thought they weren't going to get Ben Johnson, would they have kept Antonio Pierce and Tom Telesco at least another year. Maybe they got a bigger picture here, Maybe there's somebody else that they're waiting for. But it felt like they thought they were getting Ben Johnson, and Ben Johnson said no to Tom Brady. He'll be introduced as the Bears head coach today. Everything's great right now, everything's great. They got their coach, offensive minded guy. You took him away from the Lions. Caleb Williams. Yes, he's gonna be Jaden Daniels, he's gonna be CJ's he's going to be somebody.
Speaker 3: You're ready to go.
Speaker 2: Oh, if only the season started tomorrow, we'd be ready to go. Paulie's Bears.
Speaker 3: They've done it all.
Speaker 2: They've won the off season. Again, congratulation. Nobody wins the off season like the Bears do. They won the off season. There's no trophies that they hand out for winning the off season. But if they did, the Bears trophy case would be packed.
Speaker 5: Are we handing that trophy out today? We can If you want off season award winner for a week, you know.
Speaker 2: What, let me wait a week or so, let me see what the Cowboys do. If the Cowboys get d On, then they're probably going to win the off season I'm still amazed though that. You know, Jerry Jones falls in love, and he fell in love with Jason Garrett. Jason Witten. I think he's in love with Dion and he's going to have to bring somebody in to be able to coach his team. Jason Witten is not ready to do this. I think he's been a high school coach and of course he he's a great player. Uh do you bring back Kellen Moore who you had? Do you have any chance at getting Dion? That seems to have simmered down a little bit doesn't mean it won't happen, because with Jerry, he might say, oh damn it, all right, I'm gonna bring in Dion, and then you bring in Deon Sanders, then everybody's gonna go, wow, that's genius move. But in the meantime, like, unless it's Dion, I think we're gonna go hmm, okay, right now, we did that with dan Quinn with Washington, but Washington doesn't have the worldwide appeal of the Cowboys. When the Cowboys make a decision and everybody takes note, Washington was like.
Speaker 3: Oh who they okay.
Speaker 2: Dan Quinn, Oh good luck? Team won four games. Now all of a sudden, we're looking at dan Quinn like he's Lombardi like. Man, the Cowboys they missed on him. Okay, probably a few other teams decided that they didn't want dan Quinn to come in and be their head coach. But he's done a wonderful job there. Now, you know, we always look at what's the result, the end result, We.
Speaker 3: Go, how could you pass on him? He was right there?
Speaker 2: Well they did, and other teams did as well. That dan Quinn probably thrilled that he's in Washington and that they're in the NFC title game. This line started out at four and a half. Now it's up to six, which is that's a pretty big jump for me when I'm looking at all, right, four and a half maybe five, now up to six.
Speaker 3: The Eagles are favored, and.
Speaker 2: I think with Buffalo that stayed about the same that the Bills are one and a half point underdogs there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pauli, A two point jump in a line midweek is surprising, uncommon. Does somebody know something about Jalen Hurt's health status?
Speaker 2: Well, no, because that would be assuming that he's healthy, because if he was hurt, it wouldn't be it wouldn't jump like that, right, So four and a half to six means Jalen Hurts is probably going to play. But I don't know health wise, and they don't have to reveal that, but I'm guessing that Jalen Hurts will play. Their offense isn't great. It's weird. They get these splash plays. No, sa Kwon Barkley. You know, they kind of bottled him up. He did have three unbelievable runs Jalen Hurts. They kind of bottled him up and they had one big play and granted that's all you need sometimes, but I think when we look at offense, they didn't dominate the Rams, and I think the impression is that they did, but they held on for dear life. And as I said yesterday, I thought the Rams were going to win that game. I thought that they in that final you know, final drive, they were going to win and kick the extra point. They were going to beat Philadelphia and they would be hosting the Commanders this weekend. That's why when you look at nan, I do think the Eagles are still the best team in football, but I haven't seen them kind of put everything together. They have these players who make the Jalen Carter makes a big player two, Saquan a big player too. Jalen Hurts one or two big plays, and maybe that's all you need to win a super Bowl. It's sort of like what the the Chiefs are doing. Patrick Mahomes doesn't do anything that is consistently magical, but he always has one or two of those plays. Jason Kelcey one or two of those plays. Chris Jones one or two of those plays. Maybe that's the recipe. And I was thinking about this with Patrick Mahomes. You want to talk about a selfless superstar, because with Mahomes, it was all about he was going to throw the ball they were going to get. You know, he's throwing forty touchdown passes. That's high powered exclusive offense. You don't hear him talking about you know, it'd be nice if we got some receivers here for me or you know, you're you're getting possession, guys, I want to throw some touchdowns here. His numbers are down. He's selfless, and that's remarkable that you get to that point, that point in your career. And it's not about his numbers, because his numbers aren't great, but it's about we won.
Speaker 3: How did we win?
Speaker 2: And they are on a tight rope every single week, it feels like, but it's about you know, Kelsey is not nudging his coach on the sideline about getting me touches. Patrick Mahomes is selfless and Brady was selfless too, and I think you have to be because if you're all about, hey, what about my numbers? And these guys have gotten to a point where it's about winning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what if behind the scenes, Patrick Mahomes is like, none of the receivers matter because I'm important. Well, you guys don't matter. I'm the one that makes this happen. So you could put out herd of cattle out there and I'm going to complete passes.
Speaker 3: But he's actually that much of a diva. But oh I don't. I'm the only one here that matters.
Speaker 5: The rest of you are irrelevant.
Speaker 3: But he's not putting up great numbers.
Speaker 2: So yes, he might say, hey, I don't care who you put look at Brady interchangeable parts, and Brady probably said, it doesn't matter who you're putting out there, I'll make this work. But I think I think Mahomes and Brady are and we're selfless, and I think that that helped them because how many times did you see Bill Belichick go, We're just going to run the football and this is Brady going all right, hey, we're gonna run for two hundred yards against the Colts.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And I think the same thing with Mahomes. I think you got to get to a point where you go, I want to win. That's all that's That's all that matters here, is that I win.
Speaker 6: Yes, Tom, if you know you're gonna or you feel very comfortable, are you going to trade stats for rings? It's very easy to do that when you're on a great team and your collected rings. That could change if all of a sudden you're a team that's not getting to the Super Bowl winning rings as far as hey wait a second, I don't have the right tools around me to get the.
Speaker 3: Well justin Herbert lower stats.
Speaker 2: This year, they made the playoffs, but I think you have to get to that point where, hey, these numbers are great. They're regular season numbers, the numbers that matter a postseason. This first Hour brought to you by Hottest Rookie's Biggest Superstars, the All Time Great's the only place to collect them all pan Any trading cards, official trading cards for The Dan Patrick Show, for instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts. Start or continue collection now, Panania, America, dot NEM See what's poll question today?
Speaker 5: Well, we haven't really hit on this much yet, but Hall of Fame voting should be public or private.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about this coming up in a little bit here. I've said that when I voted, I wanted it to be public. I was proud to vote. And if you're going to take on that honor, and it is an honor, then you should explain why you voted for or didn't vote for somebody. It's just you're doing your homework, or maybe you're not doing your homework.
Speaker 3: But I have.
Speaker 2: I have no problem. And they fought for this. This was a couple of years ago, I think twenty sixteen, the Baseball Writers supported a measure to make every Hall of Fame ballot public, but the Board of Directors shut that down. I like it when I hear a columnists say, or a writer or broadcasters say, this is why I voted for this guy, or I didn't vote for this guy. I mean not everybody's a Hall of Famer. You might not think Billy Wagner is a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I did CC Sabathia. You know he's a dinosaur. Guys are gonna log those innings and have three thousand strikeouts and over two hundred and fifty wins. It's just not going to happen anymore. Each yuro no brainer. But then apparently was it a brainer because somebody decided not to vote for each euro?
Speaker 3: Yes, ton is coming forward?
Speaker 6: Make you a stand up guy or a woman, depending on who we're talking about, or is it a look at me, look at me thing.
Speaker 7: People could take that one of two ways.
Speaker 3: What do you think it is?
Speaker 6: I think it might be more looking for attention, just like when a columnist has some kind of crazy take that's never going to happen or not true.
Speaker 7: Just to stand out.
Speaker 6: With everyone's saying how much they love one thing, you got to be the one that hates on the coach hire or whatever for attention. So I think for me, it might be more attention than you know, I want to. I feel the need to explain myself to everyone that my dip set.
Speaker 3: Well, if you want attention, then why why isn't surprised?
Speaker 2: Okay, So if he wants attention or she wants attention, then they should come come forward, tell us why you didn't vote for each of You know, you get caught up in the baseball piers. Now the voting doesn't come out for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I don't know how many votes somebody gets or how many votes somebody doesn't get. We you know, so we can single out baseball. But baseball is about percentages. We get to see the percentages. So we follow along with this. You know, it's baseball stock market. I'm seeing guys who rise and guys who fall, and guys from nowhere all of a sudden, you know, get into the conversation, or guys who get to a certain level and that's all they're going to get, you know, like a Rod or Manny Ramirez or Bonds or Clemens. But I liked following along with that because I'd like to understand these trends, like why is somebody a Billy Wagner as a Hall of Famer in his last year of eligibility. Why was he a Hall of Famer? That's what I'm always curious about. He didn't play anymore baseball. Last I looked, he didn't play anymore baseball. PAULI check, did Billy Wagner play any more baseball?
Speaker 4: I got nothing?
Speaker 2: Okay, But you get to this point and it's you know, the writers of the gatekeepers here. So if you're going to have a powerful position, then I'd like to know where you stand on somebody. And I think that when I voted for the NBA, I had no problem my voting, and I made it public. And did I get roughed up in Salt Lake when I didn't vote for Karl Malone or in Phoenix when I didn't vote for Barkley, Yes, but it goes along with the territory. I had no problem with that, Yes, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 8: And when it comes to MLB Hall of Fame voting guys like Carlos Beltran who got like seventy percent of the vote, I'm sure it's got to be one of those or you're kidding.
Speaker 3: No, No, he's going to get in next year.
Speaker 7: Almost like Billy Wagner, like you're close this year, but the next year.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, Carlos Beltran will get in next year. I think Andrew Jones should you know, he should get in.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: He was close as well. And I don't think the voting as far as candidates next year, I don't think it's a great list, but and sometimes it's timing.
Speaker 6: Yes, tom See, that's a problem too, that you're going to get into Cooperstown are not based on how weak or strong the year is. Of who's up on a given year should not be included in who you vote for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're all fired up with your Houston Astros gear on.
Speaker 6: I've always been about Billy Wagoner, I just haven't spoken about it a lot.
Speaker 7: On there. I kept that one to myself. Nobody's business.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul Chritsy looks like relaxed bit Billy Wagner right now.
Speaker 7: That outfit.
Speaker 3: I don't think I use fit, but I relaxed. Yeah you are.
Speaker 7: I'm comfortable with my two exl jersey. I'm good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got your Billy Wagner that jersey, that uniform of the astros.
Speaker 3: Boring is boring, boring Killer B's though.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it doesn't change the look of the jersey.
Speaker 2: But thank you to all right, let me take a break. We'll settle on a pull question sports anger. We'll address that coming up. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 10: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up as they say.
Speaker 11: I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific. And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: Big basketball game coming up tonight.
Speaker 2: If I would have said this at the beginning of the year, Hey, mid January, big basketball game, you'd say, who are the Lakers playing?
Speaker 3: Cavaliers?
Speaker 2: Rockets? Coming up tonight? My Rockets, Mike Cans coming up tonight? Anybody, anybody?
Speaker 3: Anybody? Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Paulie came in and he had sports anger, and I said, I won't slow it down, save it for the show. But he had some sports anger. We'll address that coming up. Also, we'll play whose stats what you want UH seton? Would you give me the poll question from the first hour? Did we decide on something?
Speaker 5: I don't know if he necessarily decided on something, but we have many, many options okay, including should Hall of Fame voting be public or private?
Speaker 3: That's kind of fun, Paul has.
Speaker 5: If you were a Baseball Hall of Fame wroter, would you Hall of Fame voter? Would you lean towards not voting for anyone as a first ballot Hall of Famer?
Speaker 2: There are purists who do that that, Hey, Babe, Ruth wasn't unanimous, or Ty Cobb, and I mean because you did that. You know, back then you had writers who really held a grudge against some athletes, certainly Ted Williams, even the Boston writers didn't like him. But nowadays, I think today's athlete understands that you have to have availability, you have to be able to be I think your relationship with the media is important, and so I think today's athlete smarter to understand that you can't be brooding. You know, Barry Bonds could be that way, but he was also a great player. There's certain athletes where you go, yeah, he didn't care about the media, but he's too good to pass up. Now with Bonds, obviously you got baggage there, but he was still a difficult guy to deal with.
Speaker 3: There there's certain.
Speaker 2: Guys that are difficult but sometimes the numbers are just too good. But I do think your vote should be public. I have a problem if somebody says he's not a Hall of Famer his first year, but his seventh year he's a Hall of Famer. I just think if I say your name, then that should tell me what you think of that player.
Speaker 3: Not he's got to earn it, but they do. You can see the progression.
Speaker 2: Somebody will get thirteen percent and then all of a sudden, it's twenty two, then it's twenty nine, then it's you know, forty one.
Speaker 3: They're trending. But that's how the process is.
Speaker 2: And the baseball riders they wield all the power here, just like pro football riders.
Speaker 3: They wield all the power.
Speaker 5: What else do you have, Seaton, Here's another one that I'm sort of kicking around a little bit. Uh, Who's coaching legacy changes more with a Super Bowl win this season?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 3: Let me save that one.
Speaker 2: Let me save that one for next hour when we have well, no, I have Joe Thomas in the final.
Speaker 3: Hour of the progres.
Speaker 2: CC might have some thoughts on CC Sabathia. I think he was a football player, so he'll join us a little later.
Speaker 4: On.
Speaker 2: I like that one though, but we'll get to that need a little bit more time. I have to deal with Paul's sports anger here coming up, So we'll do something that's Baseball Hall of Fame related. How about should a writer's ballot be made public?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 3: Okay with that? Sure? Okay?
Speaker 2: Anybody think the ballot should not be made public? Nobody in the room? Good, that's the right answer. All right, all right, PAULI your sports anger.
Speaker 4: Well, I think this speaks for a lot of people. If you're not voting for each Rozuzuki for the Hall of Fame on his first ballot, what's the reason? What's the reason you could concoct? I go back to a player like George Brett. George Brett's an all time baseball great. His Hall of Fame candidacy is not even a question. Eight guys didn't vote for him on the first ballot. I don't understand the reasoning of it, as you've said before, because you have to create something, who are you saving it for? If not George Brett or Mike Schmidt or each hero those are the guys you don't think.
Speaker 3: You just vote.
Speaker 2: But I've had a baseball writer I don't know if he still is a Hall of Fame voter.
Speaker 3: I'd have to look.
Speaker 2: But he said, I want to use my vote for somebody else because I know people will vote for George Brett or Mike Schmidt or so this guy might not get the attention. And therefore some writers I know one who said I'm going to give my vote to somebody else and maybe help their cause, which, whether you like that or not, I get that, you know, but that was one person's logic.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paulin, would you like to be bothered?
Speaker 7: Real quick?
Speaker 4: Dan, Nine people didn't vote for Hank Aaron when he was on the ballot. I cannot imagine a reason you can come up with. Eleven people didn't vote for Tony Gwynn, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, Willie Mays wasn't unanimous, Mickey Mantle wasn't unanimous.
Speaker 6: Yes, ton what if eighty percent of the people that are voting disagree with someone else's vote? Is that enough to say use this lost your voting privileges. Make it a little more interesting where we like survivor Hall of Fame voters.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want it to be draconian. You know, this is an honor to vote and I'm sure they take it very seriously, but I do like that you have to come clean on it.
Speaker 12: I just can't.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I just can't give him the vote this time.
Speaker 2: I just can't.
Speaker 4: Willie Mays ninety four point seven of the vote. Five percent of the voter said, I just didn't know, you know what those last few seasons.
Speaker 3: Okay, take away the catch and what else does he have?
Speaker 7: You take away the catch?
Speaker 3: Take away the catch? What else does he have? That's all I'm saying. That's all I'm saying. Okay, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: The great Ricky Henderson six percent of people didn't vote for Msteeden. Can you imagine a reason? And the thing about you know, these are sports writers doing it. These aren't casual people. They're supposed to be objective and just say like, and I find it very frustrating and not altruistic.
Speaker 2: But that's what I think it should be made public. This is something for us that it's very public for these players. And if you're voting, just tell me why you voted or you didn't vote, and you know you you've earned the right to be able to vote. And it's open to interpretation. I respect that people didn't like that I voted for Jordan for MVP, and as I said, I didn't vote for Barkley. I didn't vote for Carl Malone. They won the MVP. And there were columnists who came after me and wanted to know why I didn't vote for them, and it's I said, I didn't. It's not that I didn't vote for them. It's just I voted for Jordan because he is the most valuable player and I thought the end result would be Mike would win a championship, and he did those years that Carl Malone was MVP in Charles. Maybe that's not fair to them, but that's my interpretation of it. That was my logic behind all of that. Yes, Marvin, I.
Speaker 8: Can't wait until the sports writer comes out and says, oh, I think Walt Weiss deserves some love. So that's why I vote for each era. Is there a certain amount of players you can vote for each year?
Speaker 3: I don't Are there ten? Is that? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think there's a ballot of a certain number of players that you can vote for. I think that's how it works.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but how the hell does some of these people get all the way down to eleven.
Speaker 3: Then on the list three you're like, I don't know if I can do it.
Speaker 2: Well, you'll see like Ian Kinsler will get a vote from.
Speaker 5: Somebody deservedly, so yeah, yeah, Finally Louis Soho got a vote.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, what are we doing? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I remember rest his soul. Fred Hickman didn't vote for Shaq. Shaq was going to be unanimous MVP, and uh. I work with Freddie at CNN, N, ESPN, and I think he voted for Iverson.
Speaker 3: Shaq.
Speaker 2: Never let him forget it man, never even even today, I could have shack On and I'd say, gosh, what do you remember about that season when you know you won MVP?
Speaker 3: Yeah, should have been unanimous.
Speaker 2: But guys will do a solid for a player, and sometimes they won't vote for somebody because they had to run in with them a problem with them. It happens because the human element is involved in this. A couple of phone calls in here Sam in La, Good morning Sam, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Good morning Dan and the Dan Ads. Hey, my great grandfather is in the Baseball Hall of Fame. His name is Wahoo Sam Crawford, And I think each year does deserve the Hall of Fame. But my question would be if he was a high school senior today and that's when they seen the draft baseball players in a few years in the minor leagues, would each Ero's style of play make it to the big leagues today? Your opinion? And in honor of my great grandfather, can the dan has look up one cool thing and say on the air, he's pretty remarkable, thank you?
Speaker 3: All right? That's a wahoo. Did he play for Cleveland? I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would each you ro be you know, would they want somebody who's going to be a slap hitter and that you're going to bat three sixty. I don't think his on base percentage was as great as it probably should have been for somebody who had like one year, each Row had two hundred and sixty two hits. I believe two hundred and sixty two. Getting to two hundred was supposed to be magical. Yes, Pauline, he did not walk a lot and he did not strike out a lot. The ball was in play. Yeah, he was a great fielder, had a great arm as well. Now they didn't win, but like each your Row was like Tony Gwyn was like Wade Boggs was like Rod Carew You couldn't get him out?
Speaker 8: Yes, Mark, Yeah, his best chance to win was his rookie year. They won like one hundred and sixteen games. You want MVP that season. I believe Rookie of the Year and MV.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think Brett Boone hit forty nine forty.
Speaker 7: Eight home runs that year.
Speaker 2: So that was a good team. But that was a team built for the regular season, not the postseason.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, when the Yankee saw them, they were like, all right, this is enough.
Speaker 2: They didn't They didn't have great starting pitching. They didn't have that hammer that you go, oh, we got we're gonna face him three times? Who they have like Wilson al Verrez or something like, oh, I don't.
Speaker 7: Know, Mike Cameron.
Speaker 2: I liked Mike Cameron, but he wasn't pitching. Uh, let's see. Yes, Paulie, I.
Speaker 4: Can remember you doing the radio show at ESPN back before I worked on it, and you guys did lots of topics of Etro should be eligible for Rookie of the Year, even though he played five years in Japan. It was like an ongoing topic his entire rookie year.
Speaker 2: Did we did we find out about Sam Crawford. Did he play for Cleveland?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know anything else about him. I played for the Heads, okay, and the Tigers. Okay, Wahoo he was from Wahoo, Nebraska. I think God is how he got his nickname. But I don't know what. What is the big distinguishing stat?
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, two time home run leader in nineteen oh one, in nineteen oh eight. I would love to see how many homers he hit, probably like four h three time UH American League RBI leader twenty ten, twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: Nobody is breaking down Wahoo Sam Crawford like we are. He does hold baseball's career record of three hundred and nine triples.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of triple Thank you Todd.
Speaker 7: He led the league in triples six times.
Speaker 2: Steat of the day, the day, bub stead of the day, stat of the day?
Speaker 3: Here comes what stat of the day.
Speaker 2: That's why I love doing this show. Who knows where We're going? Yeah, Marvin, do you know any career home runs he had after.
Speaker 3: Leading the league seventeen?
Speaker 7: No, he's a boss. Ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Baby Ruth hit that in eighteen minds killed that. Yes, Paul in one. As a rookie, he led the league with sixteen home runs nineteen oh one. Love it, Uh Jackson in Texas, hyt Jackson, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 9: The reason why I appreciate you, Dan is that you're always looking in the mirror on voting. One guy that I've got a problem with that these writers are not looking in the mirror. Is is you look at Kurk Shilling. Yeah, strike out to walk ratio when you go to it, and then when he makes a personal opinion, they hold it against him, and then the judge's character. Which he won the Roberto Clemente Award. He took three different franchises to the World Series. He's got three World Series rings with two different franchises. Let alone, this man hit himself as a base ball player was very dominant.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: We were talking about Kurt Schilling yesterday. His personality kept him out of the Hall of Fame because if you said you got a game to win, He's on the short list all time pitchers. He's a top ten game on the line postseason and Kurt Schilling would certainly be on my short list there. But I don't know how much personality or comments, political stance. How that's supposed to factor in. I think it does more in baseball. I don't think it's supposed to factor in at all with the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: I don't know the criteria.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marv, and people forget about him in Philadelphia too, Like young kershim was a boss even before he got to the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 2: In the Red Sox, I think he had a season where he won thirteen games and had three hundred strikeouts and it bet you know. And then they played Toronto in the World Series and Shill was very good in that World Series. That's when Mitch Williams gave up the home run to Joe Carter. But the attention he got was he had a towel over his head. I think when Mitch came in and it was a oh my god, I can't watch this, And I think that, I mean, Shill was polarizing. Shill's smartest guy in the room just asking him. But I liked him. I thought he was entertaining. And you want somebody who man's up game on the line.
Speaker 12: He is.
Speaker 3: He wants the ball. How about who's whose stats would you want here? Who stands Who's stats?
Speaker 1: What'd you want?
Speaker 7: Tell me?
Speaker 4: Tell me, tell me who stands?
Speaker 1: Who's stats? Who'd you want?
Speaker 3: All right, Paul picture number one?
Speaker 7: Here you go.
Speaker 4: You know Marvin has one more thing for you.
Speaker 3: Oh you won't. Where the heck did that come from?
Speaker 7: I typed in stats?
Speaker 5: That's Ray in the back room. I think he just whipped that one up. Oh now I'm just kidding. Oh, here we go. Okay, whose stats would you want? Pitcher number one? In his career, he had two hundred and fifty one wins, three point seventy four ERA one cy Young award top five for the cy Young five times, ten and seven in the postseason, including an ALCS MVP Pitcher number two, two hundred and sixteen career wins three point four to six ERA no cy Young's but finished in the top five four different times for the Saya. He was eleven and two in the postseason. He had an NLCS MVP and a World Series MVP. Who's stats would you want?
Speaker 3: Well? Do I want Kurt Shillings stats, pitt your number two? Number two?
Speaker 2: Or do I want CC Sabbathia's pitcher number one? Okay, boy, I don't know if there's a wrong answer in this.
Speaker 3: I would take shilling just the postseason numbers.
Speaker 2: Eleven and two in the postseason, MVP in the World Series, MVP n LCS, MVP for the Red Sox.
Speaker 4: Yes, Pauling chilling out his best year with the Hall of Fame voting, got seventy one percent of the vote. He finished sixteen. Shy cc is going in first ballot.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, let me take a break, get to more phone calls coming up. C C. Sabathia will join us, coming up. Remember when he would tild his cap and all the baseball purests had a problem with that. He doesn't respect the game. Put your hat on correctly, a little respect.
Speaker 3: Come on. It's like when Ken Griffy Junior had his hat backwards. Oh my god, Oh no, what's he doing in the game. Let me take a break.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he wouldn't do that.
Speaker 3: Play the Day's next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six eight m Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio. Wapp Oh my god, the day.
Speaker 2: Check on it. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out.
Speaker 3: Not sure day got a lot on that shot, but it didn't go and now the other way, it's saraburby the tip to tip.
Speaker 7: It's.
Speaker 3: Ends the line.
Speaker 2: The games curtsyve NBC Sports Philadelphia Flyers had played fifteen overtime games this season, most in the NHL.
Speaker 3: Play the Day brought to you by Rapid Radios.
Speaker 2: The walkie talkie for the playoffs, Instant pushed a talk offering national LTE coverage, no subscriptions ever. Perfect for instant contact with your buddies. We use them on the show. Go to Rapid radios dot com for six off and free shipping. Update the poll results. If you can seatan please sure ken Okay, we got up there right now for the first hour of the show. Hall of Fame voting should be public or private. This is going to shock you, but this one's a landslide. Ninety percent of the audience want the voting public.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I think that's the fun part. Sports is about conversation.
Speaker 2: It's about arguing and why, you know, why do we stop here where you don't have to tell somebody who you're voting for. I think it's so important to these players. I think that they're owed that if I was a candidate and I was around seventy three percent, and I didn't get in. Why didn't I get in? What's holding me back? Not that I can do anything about it, but at least I can understand. You know that one year Bruce Suiter was the only one to get in. I'm like, there was no other Hall of Fame candidates back then that year, just one Bruce Suitter. Now, some you know, people say that I've been criticized because I'm more lenient with it. I want to celebrate no matter what. The sport is more celebration than less, and with baseball celebrating more, Baseball needs more celebrating. Now that doesn't mean I'm putting in marginal players or borderline players. You still have to be a Hall of Famer. It's just the process sometimes of you need to earn this, You need to grovel a little bit here, Eh, you got forty nine percent. Man, next year you get to fifty seven, and you might get up to sixty one, and we'll see, you know, you got four more years on the ballot.
Speaker 3: Maybe yes, Marvin.
Speaker 8: So the part that's getting me is Billy Wagner his first year twenty sixteen on the ballot, ten percent. I know, And now you're in. Yeah, like what happened in these like like Paula said he hadn't played any baseball.
Speaker 3: Paid his dues.
Speaker 2: Maybe the landscape changed. Now there's three hundred and ninety four voters for the Baseball Hall of Fame. I don't know if they put out you know, here are the parameters. I think it's just and analytics has changed a lot, you know, with how you're supposed to look at somebody. Somebody you thought was really good is not as good as you thought they were, and somebody who you didn't think was that good or Hall of Fame worthy, all of a sudden you get analytics, and I think that's helped quite a few players, Yes, Pauline.
Speaker 4: Also, I think baseball is more friendly to injury. If Terrell Davis clearly on his way to the Hall of Fame before injury hit, clearly, but he didn't have a Hall of Fame career with numbers. He had three unbelievable seasons if you want to compare that to baseball Tim Linsekam two straight Cy Young's, then the injury bug made him an average pitcher for a while. He does not get credit and he will not go to the Hall of Fame likely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Terrell Davis is in the Hall of Fame, and he had two of the greatest running seasons ever ever. He's got the most yards in a season, regular season, postseason combined, and he was the reason why they won two Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: Injuries cut short his career.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with that. He was great and he was a difference maker. They ran the ball down your throat. And Terrell Davis short career, Gail Sayers short career, Sandy Kofak short career, Kirby Puckett, Like, I get it. It's it doesn't work for everybody, but those that you see and you go, go, that guy is just different than everybody else.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's see Shawn and Oregon. Hi, Sean, welcome back, Hey.
Speaker 12: Dan, thanks for taking my call. I just don't think we're going to see too many people get in unanimously. I mean, it just don't. It isn't nearly one player that's been accepted unanosally, isn't that mo Rivera?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Well, and then when I think of Moa Rivera, I think that, you know, the biggest moment in his entire career was the only one game seven He's the only pitched to one Game seven in the World Series, and he blew it.
Speaker 2: That's when I think of him, Okay, he I mean he had one moment that he didn't you know, he failed. That was a blue pit by Luis Gonzalez over short Stone, all right. I mean he had one bad moment in an entire career, yes, marm.
Speaker 8: And the thing was me and Paul were just talking about it. The thing that made it so big was that it never happened to mo Rivera. He always closed the deal.
Speaker 3: And it was a broken bat by Luis Gonzales.
Speaker 7: He didn't hit some bomb.
Speaker 2: No, It's like it just kind of fell fell out into the outfield. Yes, Paul, I.
Speaker 4: Think you asked Moa Rivera maybe ten years ago about it. Did it bother you that it was such a no offense We hit like a slap hit you? Heyes, oh totally.
Speaker 3: But he threw the perfect pitch.
Speaker 2: He broke his bat like it went in on him so much, and Gonzales fought it off and you know, won the World Series.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's actually like the perfect way for him to be beaten in that moment, you know, just a kind of a lucky, fluky play.
Speaker 3: That like, God, this is the one. Really, that's it.
Speaker 5: Nobody they didn't get a hold of one, they didn't whatever, It's just this little flute.
Speaker 2: Wasn't he on the mound when Dave Roberts stole second base against the Yankees? So two moments there. Oh, but he got one hundred percent of the vote. One hundred percent. CC Sabathia will join his Hall of Famer. A few things talk to him about. I like to get a pair of those pants that he used to wear, those huge pants. Hour two on the way after this