Speaker 1: Call It what It Is with Jessica Capshaw and Camille Luddington, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey call It Crew, and welcome to another episode of Call It Short and Sweet.
Speaker 3: Jessica, what do we have today?
Speaker 1: Well, today on this shortened suite, we have some fan questions. A little Q and A.
Speaker 3: Love a Q and A.
Speaker 1: They have a little que, we have a little A.
Speaker 3: Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: So number one Rita has written in and she said, regarding grace, when you portray characters for such a long time, do you get any input when it comes to storylines for example, romances, pregnancies, career changes. Also, is the water hot or cold? That's really fun, I'm guessing in the showers that we take. Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, first of all, we'll just answer the shower question because it would be so many if it was cold.
Speaker 3: It's definitely warm water.
Speaker 1: Thank god, it's not exactly, but you answer correctly. It's warm, it's not hot. It's not like, oh, I'm gonna get into a hot shower now I'm gonna get into this cozy, cozy shower. Also, there's people around you and the doors open, and you've got like some sort of intimacy something on you. You're covering your bits and bobs. So it's either you know your top, your top or your bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I covered my bits and bobs for a shower scene that you had to stand by. Do you remember, Joe like, Yes, I had a shower and she was like, and so I forget what I was even talking about, But I tell a little bit. Some Bobsy is around you, miss Arizona Robins because we're living together.
Speaker 3: Why why were we living together?
Speaker 1: Well, you really want to ask me that?
Speaker 3: Definitely not, definitely not okay.
Speaker 2: So when you portrayed characters for such a long time to get input on the storylines, yeah, we could to suggest stuff, We could to suggest you are you.
Speaker 1: She just ast? You just answered let's we are on call? At what it is. You are the best at constantly thinking about storylines for yourself, for others.
Speaker 3: You think about the game I do.
Speaker 1: In my situation, the romances were hard.
Speaker 3: No, you don't. You're not pitching your own romance on the show.
Speaker 1: No, you're definitely not. And I mean in my case, I was on the show for ten years, and you know it's it's the push pull. I mean, I remember as a viewer, you're watching and I completely championed Meridairr And I was like, Meredith and Derek together forever, Like absolutely, you cannot pull them apart. And at the same time, you can't just watch people be happy like you can't. That's boring. You can't just watch them be happy and happy and happy. And so even though as a viewer I was tortured by the things that came in between them, they were completely necessary. So I always knew that, and I felt in my on screen ship, which was Alazona, it was like, Okay, great, they're happy and that's wonderful, and we want them to be together, and yes, that's right, and you champion that romance. And we need a little friction, we need a little obstacle, We need to.
Speaker 3: Throw in a little like well, they threw in a meteor.
Speaker 1: I mean so many though, God, I.
Speaker 3: Mean they threw in a wowser browser.
Speaker 1: But so many of those, so so many we had infidelity, we had oh, I mean who I remember.
Speaker 2: You know what's really funny is I remember Jessica getting the infidelity script, which is one of my favorite season finales because of that moment, which is just incredible. You guys all know what I'm talking about the rings on the pin to the scrubs, and I remember someone saying that Capshaw, You're gonna have to get off social.
Speaker 3: Media for a little bit.
Speaker 2: And she was like, yep, we knew that that meteor was gonna rock the fandom. Huge Gray's Anatomy fan is Jessica Capshaw's. Oh, I know, people ask this all the time. I know it is Jessica's daughter's name Josephine, because of Camilla's character Joe Wilson on the show. I'm so curious, And yes, it is right, Jessica, of.
Speaker 1: Course it is.
Speaker 3: I named her after you, not even me, just the character, because you.
Speaker 1: Love your alternate on television. No, we already know with my memory, I probably forgot that your name was Josephine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she didn't even know it was Josephine. You guys, she hadn't she. She's learning that right now. You're learning it right now in this Yeah, I thought.
Speaker 1: It was just Joe. I love the name Josephine. And you know what, we have three girls, so this was our third time at naming a baby girl. And I gotta tell you that's challenging because you really only usually have like you know, top one or two, and then we already had two. So we got to the long names, the list of beautiful long names, and she certainly can handle it. I love her name so much. Okay, next, now it's just a bonus by the way that it's your other names. I know. Okay. Marie wrote in and she said, how did both of your lives change or develop when you started becoming more famous? This isn't famous a funny word, because I don't even I'm like.
Speaker 3: Famous, I know, I don't. Yeah, I just feel like me.
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It just honestly, I try very I don't think of myself as such, and so when I'm out in the world, and you never know when you're gonna be around people who do or do not know you from whatever it is that you've done. So I just conduct my life and do my things the way that I would. Uh. And then if someone does come up and say something, I think that I try very hard to always just be really responsive to whatever someone's feeling or thinking or saying in that moment. And then i'm and then i'm I think I'm a little bit more aware of myself because I'm also usually with other people or my children, and I feel very lucky that, you know, most of the time, every you know, people are very respectful. I do always feel like when I'm with the kids, my kids, I feel a little like, yeah, tug, because I'm sort of like, well, my job is to be watching you and someone's you know, talking to me, and my attentions there. So it's just a little bit of a push pull there. But I don't think that. I don't feel like I had a moment where I was like, oh, my life is different, because it's funny.
Speaker 2: I was just talking about this with Matt because I feel more antisocial actually since the show.
Speaker 3: It's just such a big show. When I meet new people, it takes me.
Speaker 2: Way longer to let them in too, like in a circle, or me feel vulnerable enough to be able to tell them things. So that's the way it's changed. Which kind of does I'm gonna say it kind of does suck. But maybe maybe it's a good thing too, I would say, and I'm a little more antisocial. Question before, what's your all time favorite moment from Grey's Anatomy as a viewer, as a fan or working on the show.
Speaker 1: Okay, as a fan early days because this is when I watched it again, like the minute that it started on in real life, Yeah, there was no I say it all the time, there's no more genius storytelling, perfectly executed acted environment. Everything was perfect in that moment in the pilot.
Speaker 3: Oh no, never mind, but yeah in the pilot.
Speaker 1: In the pilot when she goes to work and who is there but the boy that she kicked out from the morning before or the morning that morning. So that moment where she goes to work and she's just that's the boy that she's you know, had a nice little romp with from the bar and she walks into work and there he is, and you're like, oh yeah, it just sets everything up so perfectly. And then I think the other like, oh, oh moment would have been I don't even know what episode it was, but when Addison comes back, that's why she's sleeping with my husband or whatever, say.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, she says, oh, you're the woman that's Susan sleeping with my husband or something, and you're like, we've butchered that line. It's something completely different. But that that was the moment for me because you thought that they were happy, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, oh, the show is crazy. Anything could happened that. Yes, yep, we'll.
Speaker 1: Say that this is an anonymous right in. What was it like for Camilla when it was announced that Jess was leaving Gray's Anatomy And how did it affect both of you?
Speaker 2: It was very shocked and I there are pictures of me in the table read actually that gets circulated all the time, and I'm just sobbing.
Speaker 3: I was really sad. It was really hard. It was all about me, right.
Speaker 2: Jess, right, totally, No, it was really no, it was There's no way to sugarcoat it.
Speaker 3: It was really hard. I was.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I knew that my very very closest friend on the show is leaving. And if you have a work friend like that, you know what that's like. Your buddy's gone, and I didn't want to lose my buddy?
Speaker 3: Is the truth?
Speaker 2: Carolina Rhodes and she asks the question I've never been asked before. What bands do you think would be Arizona Robins and Joe Wilson's favorites.
Speaker 1: I think that Arizona Robbins was probably like a big ho Princess listeners Yes songs. I feel like I was listening to yes or Arizona was listening to a lot of like pop music. Like, you know, I think she probably was like in sync, yes, totally like I think she was definitely roller skating around that kind of shit.
Speaker 2: I think Joe was like a little more teen Angst, a little Navana perhaps, oh, a little for sure Nirvana. And I think eventually, you know, I think there's some Alanis Moore set. I know she's not a band, but I think we've got to throw Alanis out there. Maybe Ashley Simpson's debut album on Discovery.
Speaker 3: I love that album.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, great album.
Speaker 2: It's a great album. Actually, we need more music. Joe Wilson needs more music. I know it not a band, although she was part of it. It was kind of a band. Yeah, I'm gonna go with those.
Speaker 1: Great Okay, So Summer has written in and she said how long is a normal day on set? And how much work is involved in making just one episode of Gray's Anatomy?
Speaker 3: A lot of work is involved.
Speaker 2: Well, the first part of the question is is how long is a normal down set? Now after COVID, we try not to go more than twelve hours, but we have pushed to seventeen or we've pulled some seventeens in our time.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, seventeen is hard.
Speaker 3: Seventeen is hard. It's rare.
Speaker 2: I would say the days that we do surgery tend to be longer days because surgery it's just harder to film, and we get a little giddy, we get.
Speaker 1: A little Yeah, there's more shots, there's more people, it's more technical. You can't approximate. You need to get it right, yeah, at the different angles. So yeah, the surgery scenes are a lot, but there's kind of I mean in a weird way. There's no normal on that. I mean, you sort of know what to expect. But I remember one of the biggest challenges was I never made if I was working that day, whether they said I was in one scene or five. I didn't make any other plans that couldn't be changed quickly because sometimes the set's not ready, or sometimes someone called in sick, or sometimes there's you know, something going on or I don't know. So you have to easily be able to shift your uptation what the day is, which is a little bit like being on call like a real doctor.
Speaker 3: It is true.
Speaker 1: And then I think that.
Speaker 3: The work is involved.
Speaker 2: You guys, I mean, you see us from our perspective, we're just doing shooting days. But from everyone else's perspective, we have writers working on episodes months before. In fact, they're in the writer's room right now writing for next season.
Speaker 3: Then we have pre production.
Speaker 2: They have meetings for hair and make up, set design, all the things they have to the direct talks to an episode casting. So I would say weeks, weeks and weeks of of work is involved, if not sometimes months, you know, work is involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then and then what ends up happening is that for the actual episode, they will have a start day and and work finished day. So typically those run anywhere from eight to ten days, usually ten, and they'll start the episode and then finish on let's say the tenth day. But then they'll also do this thing where they might be a little too darknical, but they'll double up, well, their start another episode before that episode's done, and so they'll have two crews working on two different episodes at the at the beginning and or end of an episode. But which is kind of a lot. A lot of work is involved, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of work, But I think that fans might find it fun to know that, like we do have these double up episodes.
Speaker 3: Sometimes there's even two.
Speaker 2: At the end of the of a two as the episode begins, it overlaps by two days. And so what that means is is sometimes you're say in a relationship, and you're playing like being broken up and then back together, for example, on the same days you're going from because once you switch over episodes and start filming another episode on that day, you might have to flip back. So you're going back and forth between story and you've got to kind of hold all the emotions on your head. And it's a challenge, but it's it can be and it's a lot of work for everybody involved, but it can be really fun.
Speaker 1: Safia wrote in and she said, can you talk about both of your first episodes of Grey's Anatomy and about meeting the cast members for the first time.
Speaker 3: I was so nervous to meet Schandra Wilson.
Speaker 1: Of anybody, was she the first person you worked with?
Speaker 2: No, Ellen was the first person I worked with. And that was terrifying because I had been given a monologue, a medical monologue the night before at eight pm. They would not give me the script until all my ideal was done, and it was just me spewing all this medical spiel to Ellen while she had to listen as Meredith, and she was Medusa in this episode, so she was.
Speaker 3: Kind of being mean.
Speaker 2: And I just remember being absolutely terrified, saying um a lot. My feedback was like, you're saying um a lot because I it was just a mouthful and I was so overwhelmed and I was very intimidated and uh, but I was. I was most scared to me Shandra, because I felt like, this is Bailey, and Chandra, if you meet her, is the complete opposite of Bailey. Yep, wonder kind is nicest, Yeah, wonderful, thank god.
Speaker 1: When you first came in, were you a guest or did you?
Speaker 2: I came in knowing I was. I was technically a guest star. I came in knowing that I was recurring through this and there was an option to.
Speaker 3: Make me a series regular at the end, right right.
Speaker 1: A little dating before marriage.
Speaker 3: A little dating dating the job before we got married.
Speaker 1: Yes, were you just yours?
Speaker 3: Was different?
Speaker 1: Though I came in as a guest star. I came in as a guest star, although after having auditioned for the show twice, which before that, Yeah, and I came in first as possibly Nurse Rose. I auditioned for the part of Nurse Rose who was with Derek, which like dodged double aut there because while she was fantastic and that part was lovely, who wants to come in between Meredith and Derek never not a good idea? Terrifying sounds like a very, very not winning proposition. So as much as I wanted just to be a part of anything that had to do with Graze anatomy Hugh and then I came in maybe a year later because they were casting, I think they gave me like dummy sides. It wasn't even written for the character. Yeah, for a part that Melissa George got playing one of Meredith's best friends from like medical school who came in was kind of like a wild child, and she actually was a series regular. I believe she was there for that season. And then I don't know, and I don't remember what ended up happening to her character. But then the third time that there was an opportunity, I actually didn't go in an audition. They just had had my two auditions and known who I was and knew very much that I wanted to be a part of the show, and so they called and they just offered me a guest star part for three episodes that was connected to a medical show. And I remember just, I mean truly being unbelievably. I couldn't believe my luck. And it also would come at a time in my life where I really hadn't worked in a while, and I think I was a little scared financially, emotionally, all of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll talk about this.
Speaker 2: If you haven't listened to our many more episode, go listen to it too after this, because Jessica talks in detail about that feeling before.
Speaker 1: She's really really scared and I had a little baby and all that. So I got my I got offered, and I said yes, of course. And then I remember who was going to visit my sister who was in college, and I was going for the week, and I got sent email the script and I remember just like looking at it immediately like what's my name? And I saw Arizona Robbins, which of course I don't know any Still to this day, I don't know anyone named or Arizona. I wonder if there are any baby Arizona's out there.
Speaker 3: Now, oh, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I want to know if you have a baby named Arizona. I want to know about it. So I saw her name and I thought that's pretty cool. I mean, it seemed very unique and original. And then you get the script the night before the tape read and I remember coming to Prospect Studios being so nervous, like so much like my somatic response to nerves is instant armpit sweat, so sweaty, like just like I mean, not smelly, but just like absolute like what, it's crazy?
Speaker 3: What yah?
Speaker 1: And I get there and I walked in on the side that Ellen was sitting on and there was an open chair and so I just sat there. I'd like met her at parties and passing, and she was like hi and welcome, and I was like, oh, it's just so nice to meet you. And I had read through the script of course before the read through, and I had noticed that there were all these typos, and I was like, do I say something like I'm brand new, I don't really feel like I should be pointing out that there's typos, but at the same time, like there were a lot of them in my speeches, So I didn't know what to do. And so I thought, oh, you know, she said hi, like she's o or for talking to me. So I was like, oh my, can I just ask you a really quick question? She said, yeah, of course, What do I do about these typos? And she goes, oh, show me, and so I show her. And as you know on our show that they haven't always completely researched every single aspect, and sometimes they leave out like technical terms for things because they're going to insert them later. And when they haven't yet figured it out, they just write the word medical medical. So in the middle of your speech, it'll say, like, uh, you know, I have API medical medical, medical, medical, And I was like, it just says medical a lot. And she looked at me and was like, it's okay, just say medical. And I nodded and like like I understood what that meant. And I was like, I have no idea what she means by that, and I didn't come to learn ituntil much later. But I then sat down, I did my table read, I went to my costume fitting. That was when all the shoes were lined up, and the costume designer looked at me and said, you know, what do you think? And my character worked in Peedes and so she pulled out all these different things that she had that might, you know, seem a little bit childlike, and I took them all. I was like, my badge had a lanyard on it that was like candy crush colored, and they were all these patches and I was like, I think put the monkey above my name a lab.
Speaker 2: So iconic now too, even I like when I think of your lab code, I think of that, I know, the little.
Speaker 1: Monkey and then uh. And then the shoes were laid out and I and I was like, which ones are what are those? And she said those are the ones with the wheels on them. And I was like, well, I have to wear those. Those are absolutely what I have to wear. And so I took them home because she said do you know how to use them? And I said, of course I do. However, I'll probably need to practice a little bit. And I didn't think I was going to work for a couple of days, and they called me that night and said you work tomorrow. And I looked at Christopher and was like, okay, I'm gonna learn how. I'm gonna need to learn how to you. So he held my hands. I like, God, I've pulled me along, because when you don't have it, your balance is so off. And then I remember practicing around. I had a kitchen island and I would just hold the side and like inch a long to learn how to do it. And that was and then and then the so you kind of meet everyone at the table read but not really. And then I went to work the next day and I worked with Chandra and Justin and everybody was so nice. They couldn't have been nicer. And I could not stop talking.
Speaker 2: Okay in that scene? Did you have to wheel into this scene? Did you wheel in the scene?
Speaker 1: Okay? So I have this whole thing where I'm talking to Bailey and I'm giving her the what's what because I know things even though I'm like this young doctor who's not she's not used to I'm like telling her what's you know, what's what with this case? And then it was my idea to wheel out like and take that. I'm gonna go off of my my roller skates. And I knew how to do that, but I didn't know how to stop. So I could start and I could I could roll, but I couldn't stop. So Jeff, who's in props, definitely not the department that catches actresses when they're on Runaway Wheels, looks at me and he's like, do you need to help?
Speaker 3: And I was like, yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: And he's like, well, what do you need? And I was like, I need you to catch me. But I was like, I'm gonna wheel and then.
Speaker 3: I just to catch me.
Speaker 1: I don't need to just stop me. I don't need a net or an umbrella or a hook or I don't know what, but you gotta stop me. And he was like okay, and so he caught me, and and yeah, that was That was like my first episode and it was just I remember it being pure fucking magic. It was so much fun. And all I wanted was more and more and more, Give me more lines, give me more storyline. I was done. Is this called Gray's Anatomy or Robin's Anatomy? Let's go wait?
Speaker 3: Hang on, I have I have my own fan question.
Speaker 2: When did you know that Arizona was gonna be with I?
Speaker 1: So I didn't know. I mean, obviously, the key to staying on Grey's Anatomy is having a love interest, and I was on a three episode arc that was all medical, like I didn't besides having this sort of like contentious relationship that you know, resolved itself with Bailey I had. I worked with Justin and he was always like, very friendly and kind and and Katie Heigel was definitely making her exit. On some level, I think I knew that a little bit in the back of my head. But again, three episodes, like, you're not there for that long? I didn't, I didn't know, and I was like, I mean, I hope I stay longer. I hope they keep me here for longer. Yeah, but my episodes are about art. They're running out, and I remember there being a table read where it was like, oh, something BIG's gonna happen, and that This is where my memory gets foggy. I can't remember if I if it was a I wonder if we can check this. I don't know if we kiss in the third episode that I was on, or if they kept me on to then have the kiss in the fourth episode. But basically, i'd been there for three episodes. I knew that if I wanted to stay, I needed to for sure have some sort of romantic something happened with someone I was down to party.
Speaker 2: Did you know going in that Arizona and Cali would have a thing, even in like your three episode arc.
Speaker 1: No, no, because we didn't even work together. I mean, I don't I remember her from the table read the way that I mean, I met everybody, but there was no you know.
Speaker 3: There were no scenes together, none.
Speaker 1: No, no, no. I was only yes and I was only my character was only with Chandra and Justin and then the guest stars, and I was having so much fun. I mean, it was just like I couldn't have been happier, so so so happy. And I do remember thinking this is working well, but I'm gonna go because I've got this medical and then my medical case will be over and then I'll be out. But I do remember there was something I don't know. It definitely was indescribable, and it was definitely it defied like explanation, but there was about my being there that felt like I was going to be there for more, but you didn't know how or why. And then they asked me to stay for a fourth episode, and then I and again, you know, you don't stay on the show unless you're romantically involved with someone. This is I didn't expect it to come so soon. And then we get there for a table read for this fourth episode. I'm in and reading, reading, reading and we get to the scene where Callie's character is like going through all this stuff and she's at Joe's bar, and she goes into the bathroom and Arizona, who you've seen in the past three episodes, is standing there and she has the seemingly out of nowhere connection with her where she says, you know, Chris Kelly's crying in the bathroom, and she says, you know, something to the to the effect of like, I know that you know a lot of people are talking about you, but you should know that the talk is.
Speaker 3: Good, and then she kisses her.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know this scene, this scenems very iconic, and I can't I know, because you're kind of talking about like, you know, you wouldn't have known where you were gonna go necessarily with the romance on the show, those two characters together, I can't. It's hard to picture, especially in those days, you guys being with other people, and I know that there there I know, being other people, but at that stage it was like a done deal. I feel like that kiss just was like and you're saying, yeah, yeah, I mean, it's so crazy and you can't predict those things.
Speaker 3: You can't predict that kind of chemistry.
Speaker 1: No, No, you cannot, you cannot, you cannot, you cannot. Yeah, and it just sort of it just it just worked. I mean again, you can't. You can't explain it there. I mean that's why people say it's like there is a certain magic to this business where you put you know, different actors together or different characters or different circumstances and you're like, oh, okay. And I was really confused about Calzonic because the whole like shipping of names was started with starting and I was like, isn't the cal Zone like I folded up pizza. I'm so confused, Like that's going to be our ship.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what shipping was, by the way, until the Gray's Anatomy, until I was didn't.
Speaker 3: Start with that?
Speaker 1: Did Grays start the shipping?
Speaker 2: That's you know what, We're going to throw that back out to them.
Speaker 3: They will know where that started.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that was fun. I love the Q and A's. They make you remember things that you don't think about very often because it's all common to me. Oh, come in. My other gift is I don't remember lyrics. I can remember lamber anything.
Speaker 2: Okay, anyway, let's call it I'm like, do you are like Dory?
Speaker 3: You are like Dory.
Speaker 1: Okay, this has been a pleasure. Thank you to all. You all are allowing us to do what we love the most. Keep those questions coming and we will keep the answers coming. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Call it short and sweet.