Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom Keane, along with Jonathan Farrell and Lisa Abramowitz. Join us each day for insight from the best and economics, geopolitics, finance and investment. Subscribe to Bloomberg Surveillance on demand on Apple, Spotify and anywhere you get your podcasts, and always on Bloomberg dot Com, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 3: Sarah Hunt with us now Chief market Strategist to Alpine Saxon Woods. Sarah, wonderful to see you. Let's start here. Give us one good reason to buy gm Ford and stillansis with this going on.
Speaker 4: I think that's a very difficult question.
Speaker 5: I mean, you'll see that the stocks are only a little bit lower in pre market. It really is going to depend on how long this takes to work through. I think there's a lot of things that are on the table. I think job security is definitely part of it for the union, and I think the real question for those three is how you continue to be competitive globally when you've got these issues going on at home, and you've got issues with higher oil prices, right because those cars are more expensive, not only to buy, but to fuel right now too. So I think that there are a lot of problems right now in the auto sector, and I think for those three in particular, this is not a great time for them to be facing this sort of action.
Speaker 2: The emotion here of a president today goes down to the manufacturing multiplier yours in my ute, where it was simple a manufacturing job was better than being a TV anchor because it was more productive for America. Is there a manufacturing multiplier still.
Speaker 1: In this nation?
Speaker 5: Well, I think there's definitely a manufacturing multiplier, and I think that the targeted strikes are showing you exactly how when you've changed the manufacturing to each plant does a different thing and gets it to the ultimate end assembly that I can strike anywhere, and I can have a big effect on a giant network in a small way. So there's definitely a problem there. And the question about manufacturing, we're trying to reshore manufacturing right so this is part of I think the big labor question of when I reachhore manufacturing, what's going to happen to prices? And I think globally we're setting ourselves up between energy situations and re bringing production back home to have just higher prices across the board. So I think that there's a longer, big tail here to some of these discussions that are not just about individual micro situations.
Speaker 6: But AI is going to solve it all. It's going to create robots and all sorts of programs that can just make all of the things that we need. I mean, this is sort of the great hope to keep pricing down. Why wouldn't you just head your bets and going to strong into energy, go strong ino tech, and forget the rest of it.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, we've been positive amount energy and that has not been the best thing to be all year. But I think it's finally starting to come around. And it's actually coming around almost too quickly because oil prices have risen so quickly that it's almost an issue. But I think that that's part of the problem for the general populace is that if I am going to do this with robots, if AAI is going to save me from a productivity standpoint, then what am I then?
Speaker 4: How am I going to have job security?
Speaker 5: And I think that that's part of the tension that's going on right now, especially with the automakers.
Speaker 6: Elaborate on that why do you say almost too quickly.
Speaker 5: Because it does have demand destruction issues. Right when oil prices shoot up dramatically, you do start to see demand destruction. And part of the reason the oil prices have gone up is because the Saudias are taking oil off the market, and at a time when we've essentially depleted our spr so there isn't a lot of backstop in terms of excess productivity I mean xx production of oil, and especially with the US, as John pointed out earlier, at record highs for production. So I think that that movement higher is not The stocks haven't caught up to it.
Speaker 4: Because they don't really believe it right.
Speaker 5: So from an investment standpoint, you're not getting the benefit of those higher oil prices, but you are seeing them on a consumer problem as a consumer problem.
Speaker 3: Thirty five percent move since June our has been quite a move, Sarah. Do you see these multinationals, these big oil integrated companies leaning harder into fossil fuels. There's a big conversation about where BP is going in Europe, Where shall it's going in Europe? What are the US players doing in energy?
Speaker 5: I think every single one of them is trying to find a way to be both relevant in fossil fuels, but also to look towards the future where fossil fuels pay us play a smaller part. The question really is the timing on that. And I've said before that I think that that tail is a lot longer than people want it to be in terms of what countries are trying to legislate and also what people would like to see. But the truth of the matter is that you do need fossil fuels, and you're going to need them for a longer period of time. And the earlier discussion about emerging markets that they're not going to be able to transition to electric all that quickly. The infrastructure isn't even there. So as they grow bigger their demand for oil, even if it's coming down in OECD countries, it's going to be going up another place.
Speaker 2: They got airlines flat on their back. Airlines have been a post pandemic disaster. In terms of shareholder return, I've got Exxon with three percent diviot and okay, generous, I guess the five year dividend growth rate is totally unacceptable. Are they going to get used to cast religion? Are they going to become like Apple and start throwing cash back.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't want to opine on Exxon specifically. I think some of the other oil stocks have definitely gotten religion on the divid end and return of capital to shareholders, because I think that that was something that they've been told by Wall Street and by investors that they want. They don't want them to go out and spend all this money on production when oil prices are not as high as they were right now, but they would like to see some return of capital. So I think that there has been some change in the way that capital allocation is looked at across the industry.
Speaker 3: Does it matter who's in the White House when it comes to the energy patch. We make a big deal about policy coming out of President Biden, former President Donald Trump. Crudes back in the nineties, but crude production in America it's close to all time highs Sarah. And that's happening with this very anti fossil fuel tone coming out of the White House. Does it even make a difference, what they've got to say?
Speaker 5: It makes a difference when it comes to permitting, and it makes a difference when it comes to.
Speaker 4: Production that you don't have yet.
Speaker 5: Right if you're looking at an area where we've been able to extract a lot more oil out of fields that we're already there with the technology changes, and that's where your productivity comes in. Then is it matters less when it comes to looking at new areas to be able to either explore or drill. Then it starts to make it different on the edges.
Speaker 3: Sarah Hunt, thank you. It's going to see you here in New York. Sarah Hunt of v APPI Saxon.
Speaker 2: Woods bearing gifts this morning from New Orleans on television. It is aunt Sally's pralines. They're for Bramo And here you go, Lisa.
Speaker 3: We're not saying Sally. I was saying Sally, not Sally's accent.
Speaker 2: No, I don't I don't have a they count on radio. It's yeah, it's like a calorie count on radio. That's all you need to know. Anya Trees joins us here from Encyclopedic on Washington, and very importantly Henriette. In this moment, this is a president who's got to come up with a new statement for a president on labor unrest.
Speaker 1: What does it sound like?
Speaker 7: I think you're exactly right, falling back on that Scranton narrative and speaking to labor unions, the way that this administration has their entire term. We've done this before, they have a huge success rate. So I think there's a lot of maybe not surprise in DC, but it's a different circumstance now that there's actually striking happening, and I assume it's Defcon one up there and they're all going to work to result this one.
Speaker 3: What do you think this response is going to be. And let's dig into this. He already cut off the railroad workers from striking. He can't do that with this. Even though they did that, they still went around saying that they were the most pro union administration in the history of all administrations in the United States of America. I'm not sure how you can be so pre union without giving people the right to strike. Now they're on strike, shouldn't you be supporting them?
Speaker 7: And it's interesting to watch because there's a number of Democratic lawmakers in the Senate and the House who are going to join the strike. Right So you have this situation where the White House is obviously going to try to get the strike to conclude, but there's a host of Democrats who are actually going to strike with them. So it's a bit of a two sided videotape right there.
Speaker 6: What about the Republicans? Where should they be coming in or where are they coming in to try to capitalize on something that's fraught on both sides, because this is no longer a one party kind of issue with unions.
Speaker 7: It's really not. And I think that Democrats really focus on this because President Trump, when he was in office, was so successful at taking so much of the union vote away from the Democratic Party, and that's a material shift that Democrats have to worry about for the future. So when you see, for example, Trump comment on this, it's really deflective and moving away to electric vehicles. So we're anti electric vehicles, which is of course a big component of this. But we've just subsidized the entire electric vehicle industry substantially, whether through.
Speaker 6: The Chips Act or through the IRA.
Speaker 7: Treasury is working on all those electric vehicle tax credits right now and more. That's what is at the heart of this debate, because they are they need less workers for those vehicles.
Speaker 6: Does it look less likely that if the auto manufacturers did to run into trouble on the heels of some of the labor pushback and their financial situation did weaken substantially that any kind of future bailout is off the the way that it was back in the day.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, I was in the Senate when we did the auto bailouts. I don't want to hear that again. I mean, not to bring it in, but you know, Mitt Romney is retiring, so maybe we that's terrible, But no, I don't think that there would be another bailout. I don't think that that is something that this administration or America is prepared for. At this point. We passed a lot of spending bills. I don't see a sector specific bailout occurring anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty union vote Biden fifty seven percent, Trump forty percent. At the margin, critically from four years before, Biden did way better than Hillary Clinton. Where are we now, drag it forward three and a half years. Does Biden still have the union vote majority.
Speaker 7: I think that when you look at not necessarily the union vote, but all voting turnout, there are other issues that are bigger than just union issues. And we've kept all those tariffs on which labor unions are in some case supportive of the administration has gone a long way towards reshoring those Union votes, so I think they stay. But Trump is got a stranglehold on his party and so none of those voters are leaving. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was exactly the same.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure how we can have a viable auto industry in Europe or in the United States without monster tariffs protecting this industry. I'm not sure how it can be viable given what's happening in China at the moment. The opportunity that they have to produce vehicles at much lower price, is much lower cost than the Europeans. The Europeans are already complaining about that. Isn't that the direction we're traveling in here? That Europe's about to smack tariffs even higher and basically say the same thing as America. You want to sell here, produce here.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I mean tariff's, state subsidization, domestic subsidization for endshoring, all of that is very much in the cards, and I think for the foreseeable future under this administration or in the case that Trump wins.
Speaker 3: Have we thought this through about what this ev transition is actually going to look like and how costly it could be governments Europe, China, the United States.
Speaker 7: I don't think so. And you're seeing that in a lot of the delays of these regulations coming out on clean energy, not necessarily just on electric vehicles, but the solar, the hydrogen, all of those alternative clean energy components are requiring tremendous amounts of manpower at Treasury, and one of the things I hear most frequently is we just don't have the experts to finalize these rags. We're working on it. We know that Commerce Secretary Romando is staffing up Commerce with one hundred and fifty two hundred new people to address how to roll this money out where it should go, how slowly to phase in these changes, how tire freights should work in conjunction, whether with the EU or with Mexico. Those clean steel TIFFs, what are those really about?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 7: So they're all connected. But I think it's slow going, and industry is very very keen on getting the details.
Speaker 3: We're going to be talking about this for a while, no doubt about it. And Redda, thank you, it's great to see you and redd to trace their Veda pounas, and thank you for the treats ys well, I appreciate that too.
Speaker 2: Joining us now amid this flow and we're watching from the White House to see when the President will speak.
Speaker 1: As R J. Gallo, Senior Vice President con Federated or measin.
Speaker 2: We're thrilled that he could join us this morning because he's got the smartest bond note of the week.
Speaker 8: R J.
Speaker 1: Gallow knows that one of.
Speaker 2: The efficacious things to do in bonds is look at the Bloomberg Total Return Index and see that for all the talk yap about coupon credit spreads blah blah blah, bonds have gone nowhere.
Speaker 8: R J.
Speaker 2: Gallow hypothesizes that bonds are not back.
Speaker 1: Thank you, r J.
Speaker 2: I looked at the chart off your note and I was thunderstruck. How the blended price of bonds is really not advanced? Is it still a bond depression?
Speaker 9: Well, in the note that you were talking about there, I made the point that when we started the year, we felt that it was going to be a favorable one for bonds, and clearly it's fallen short. The Treasury index is basically zero, the egg is up I think a half a percent, So yes, it's been disappointing.
Speaker 8: I would also note glass half full.
Speaker 9: The double digit losses of last year, or call the ages down like thirteen percent, are clearly behind us, and looking forward, we're much more optimistic that the time for fixed income giving you sort of mid low single digit positive returns and acting as a powerful diversifier in your portfolio. That is, in fact back with the yields at the highest in the last twelve to fifteen years. We think value has been restored and fixed income investors should think about extending some duration. Getting out of cash legging into fixed income will be a good move over the next twelve twenty four months.
Speaker 1: Okay, twelve to twenty four months. I'm going to get going.
Speaker 2: When do I get back to the regression line that I had for thirty years? You know, the bill gross great moderation, price up, up, up up up. How many years is it going to take to recover from what we've seen in the last two years.
Speaker 9: I hate to say it, but I think that the zero lower bound, you know, present, it's a significant wall to anything like the returns that we saw over the twenty thirty years leading up to the pandemic. If anything, we believe that it's quite possible that equilibrium mealds are higher post pandemic than they were for the decade plus prior.
Speaker 8: It'll be interesting to see if the.
Speaker 9: FED goes there with its long run dot maybe inching up in the dot plot closer to maybe three, maybe a little higher. If you look at forward curves, you can see that the market is there. The market believes equilibriy meals are higher, and in that sense, it's going to be a while before we see big price returns from taking a fixed income, high quality fixed income investment. Instead, I think we'll probably be looking for oscillating markets around a higher equilibrium, which will still provide a nice return in ballast for your portfolio, but it's not apt to be double digit price returns anytime too soon.
Speaker 6: Is this higher yield driven by inflation or driven by something else, Whether it's a budget deficit that spooks investors or a changing central bank regime in Japan, that's a great question.
Speaker 9: I think that there's been a number of factors that have shifted us towards what's probably a slightly higher equilibrium yield environment. The budget deficits a big part of it. Sovereign debt has exploded. We've got a lot of debt to roll over. Obviously, we have structural imbalances here in the US that no one wants to deal with in Washington. So that's one factor. I think on the favorable side, a lot of talk about AI about technological innovation. In the long run, when you have technological innovation, your potential growth rate goes up, higher potential growth rates, higher equilibrium yields. That's actually a positive thing that could put more people to work. Of course, you've got to talk about the issues of displacement, who gets jobs out of the new technology, who loses them? But ultimately, I think higher potential growth rates, larger budget deficits, and some pushback against internationalization, the pushback against the global trade marketplace that helped to produce low inflation and low yields prior to the pandemic.
Speaker 8: Now you're talking about on shoring.
Speaker 9: That's a big change, and I think ultimately that too is probably going to lift yelds a little higher, as the disinflationary impact of globalization might not be as strong as it was in the prior ten.
Speaker 8: Or fifteen years.
Speaker 6: That's in the years ahead. In the here and now, we're looking at an UAW strike that's roiling washing, it's Royling, Washington, DC, but also Detroit. Does that factor into your yield call? Does that factor into the bond space as you look out to understand the growth as well as the inflation picture.
Speaker 8: Yes, it does. I mean obviously it cuts in two ways.
Speaker 9: First and foremost, these workers are looking for raises. It's no surprise we dealt with the highest inflation in forty years. A lot of workers are looking for raises. That makes sense as they deal with the higher cost of living. You stop there, you would think that strikes have to be inflationary. Ultimately, however, you've got to consider the near term impact of a strike is less production, less economic activity, and the multiplier effects that occur in the local economies around these three plants, and if it extends to more plants, that economic impact only grows. I think ultimately, this idea of empowered labor across the country is very predictable. At a point in time like this, I think it's challenging for the White House that you guys have been saying. I think from an economic standpoint, I'm focusing a little bit more on the growth headwind that's going to produce in the near term. It's not the case that every dollar raises that the auto companies are going to give these workers to get them back on the job, that those that's going to be simply passed through one for one into higher prices at the dealership where we buy our cars.
Speaker 3: I've got an any question out, Jay, Can I squeeze it in because I've only got about thirty seconds left with you? Do I want to avoid industries that are witnessing like we see in airlines, like we see in automakers, this powerful movement from labor.
Speaker 8: In terms of what industries you would go to to avoid.
Speaker 3: Should I avoid the airlines? Should I avoid the automakers purely because of the evidence of labor market power? Should I avoid those industries?
Speaker 9: Well, I do think it's clearly a margin compression story in these industries. As of a saying the automakers won't be able to price pass through to price one for one, the raise is that their workers are going to get I clearly think that is a challenge in terms of sector rotation on the equity side.
Speaker 8: I don't know if I've necessarily avoid it.
Speaker 9: That's really not my main main area of expertise, I can tell you on the fixed income side, we've been relatively cautious on investment grade corporates and high yield because we think a broad based margin compression is a story that's still out there, and we're not as optimistic on corporate profits in general.
Speaker 8: I would focus on that from a broader macro perspective.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Alja, thank you. I chick out of the Federated Hermes on some important issues.
Speaker 2: We're going to go to Disney Plus and the intractable issues that mister Eiger faces. Getha Raganathen joins right now with Bloomberg Intelligence and Githa. To me, this is about fancy companies flying in fancy Kinsey, BCG Bain people to strategists to save the day. What would the strategists say this morning to mister Iiger. Let's pick on McKenzie McKinsey. Media shows up. What do they say to the leader of Disney.
Speaker 10: Well, they already have it's good morning, town, thanks for having it. So they already have a lot of things that are going on right now at Disney. So you have on one side, you have the streaming business, which, as you've just pointed out, is losing subscribers, but then the whole narrative there has really kind of shifted away from subscribers to profitability. So somehow Bob Iger has to show that this business is going to be profitable sooner rather than later. We know Netflix has kind of already set the template in the market. There is a blueprint for streaming profitability, so they have to figure out a way to get there. But more important for Disney right now is to somehow kind of show the market that they have a plan for their linear TV networks. And the linear TV networks have really been in the news a lot over the past few days, whether it was that dispute with Charter and more recently, you know, all of these news reports about them looking to kind of dispose of some of their networks and multiple bidders emerging. So there's a lot going on there. But I think as as soon as mister Eiger can kind of clarify the narrative, it's all going to become much better.
Speaker 1: We Githa.
Speaker 2: You know, we had Michael Nathanson commenting earlier, and I look at Mafatt Nathanson for ten years has talked about cord cutting, and they were correct and I believe Mafatt Nathanson would say, you know, what had actually happened faster than we thought. Is Eiger listening to the public. Is Iiger listening to Seth Rosen?
Speaker 10: He absolutely is, and he's been forced to. I mean, the data is staring at you, you know, in the face. So there's absolutely there's no way to sugar quote the fact that the industry is losing subscribers. We've lost roughly twenty five to thirty million subscribers over the past you know, five to ten years, so that is, you know, the writing is on the wall. Bob Eiger has said that, you know, they are willing to take the steps. It's actually publicly said that the linear TV business is no longer core to Disney. And if you just kind of look at the Disney profitability profile for twenty twenty three, out of the thirteen billion dollars that they will generate in trofits this year, seventy five percent of that is going to come from parks. So they really know where they need to kind of focus. It has to be on the parks business and getting that to even higher profitability, and it has to be reducing losses in the streaming business as well as kind of keeping you know, the linear TV business in in cruise control, because the streaming business will lose close about three billion dollars this year.
Speaker 6: Today, it seems like stock investors are getting the message, Githa. We are seeing nine tensiever percent pop in the Disney shares ahead of the open. It does seem to be like that is the narrative that's coming out of this, right, especially not giving subscribers for Disney Plus, which is a successful platform, but not necessarily emphasizing growth. And then the news about ABC, does this mean they're not going to be investing in content that they're hoping to save money on that front.
Speaker 10: They definitely, I mean, that's a great point, Lisa, and they definitely are looking to save money on content. So they had initially projected about thirty billion dollars thirty thirty one billion dollars in content costs for twenty twenty three. They've actually taken that down to twenty seven billion, So there's already been some reduction on that front. Of course, that is largely in part due to the Hollywood, you know, the dual strikes. But even going forward, I think they are going to take a really really disciplined approach. I mean, bar Bieger has openly said that, you know, they're not going to be green lighting projects left right and center, whether it's for the film business, whether it's for the TV business. So they're definitely taking a hard look. And remember they haven't really performed all that well on the content front as well, especially you brought up Elemental. That's a great point. I mean, we've seen a string of misfires from the Disney studio. I mean, this is one of the one of the best performing studios in the history of you know, films, and so it's kind of been a little bit of a disappointment. But I think he is kind of really looking to revamp all of the content franchises right now.
Speaker 6: At the same time, ESPN long considered a contender for a sale for buy Disney at a time, and it was at the heart of a dispute with Cable over the past couple of days. Is that still for sale? Is that still the rumor out there, or is there going to really focus on expanding and fortifying this because sports really are the heartbeat of all of our media content.
Speaker 10: I absolutely agree. I actually think it's the latter that they will look to keep the ESPN network. What they're trying to get rid off is the rest of the linear network portfolio. They do realize that they can have They have a lot of opportunity with the ESPN. They're already paying about nine billion dollars every year in sports content costs. You know, there's a huge advertising business there, there's a huge, huge afflid business, and I think there is a lot of potentials. I think they will look to keep ESPN dispose off the rest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the heart of the matter is you led with GETA and you're expert on this is everybody needs to be Netflix. So Disney Plus picks up the Australian animation Bluey, and it's Bluey Healer and his sister Bingo Healer, and that's all great. Can blue from Australia deliver for eiger twenty one percent ebitda margins.
Speaker 10: It actually can? It is going to take a little bit of time. You know, what Netflix has achieved has been over a period of you know, ten, twelve, thirteen years. You know, remember just a few years ago we were criticizing them for burning about three and a half four billion dollars in cash, So it's taken a while. So you know, yes, they have kind of set the template, and Disney needs to take a page out of the Netflix playbook so it knows exactly what it needs to hit, and I think they will by fiscal twenty twenty five twenty twenty six, we are going to see this business generate fairly good margins and ultimately get to that twenty twenty five percent margins. I think it's absolutely achievable, but of course a lot needs to be done before we can hit those targets.
Speaker 3: Okatha, let me share some of my emails with you, Hi, Jonathan. The price of Hulu no Ads plus Live TV, Disney Plus no Ads, and ESPN plus with ads will increase on October twelve, twenty three to eighty nine ninety nine. Take eighty nine wow nine month you two eighteen nine ninety nine a month.
Speaker 1: Ninety bucks I believe is what we call that. Yeah, that's like a barrel of oil. Barrel Ino's living room.
Speaker 6: Where we're at a thousand bucks a year more than that.
Speaker 3: That is where we're at.
Speaker 1: Bramo does a math. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: That's ridiculous, Gaitha. Can they put up prices anymore.
Speaker 10: I mean, it's it's going to be tough. But actually the recent deal that they did with Charter suggests that they are now willing to kind of rebundle all these services. I think in many ways that was kind of a landmark deal. You know we are coming. I know it sounds almost silly and ironic, but yes, there is going to be the great cable. Rebundling Charter was the first step. I think we're going to see many more of those deals happen.
Speaker 3: Gaitha, Thank you announced that bro blimpag Intelligence.
Speaker 1: Long ago.
Speaker 2: Stuart Wallace helped build this out Bloomberg Hydrocarbons, and the leadership has been Javier Bloss, writing for Bloomberg Opinion and of course the book award winning the World for Sale. Mister Bloss joins this morning, how I want to get away from market economics and I want to talk about the culture and fabric that you wrote about in the World for Sale. If you interpolate out one hundred dollars Saudi light, what does it do to the royal family? What doeses it do to the fabric and culture of Saudi Arabia, Well.
Speaker 11: What it does for the royal families. They immediately became very popular. You saw it on the G twenty a few days ago in India where President Biden was again shaking hands with Mohammed bin Salman, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, and using the own wars of the President of the US President he wanted to make of Mohammed bin salmana paraya in international economics, and now he is shaking hands one hundred dollars. It just transforms the Saudi royal family into a mass knee, the sole one that everyone needs to told, everyone needs to debate because one hundred dollars oil, it's going to have a profound economic implications, just when central banks are trying to decide that whether they have done enough for inflation.
Speaker 2: I have a president Brian Biden is going to speak of an autos strike today. He and I remember when there were a lot of VW Rabbit diesels sold in America and Detroit was hammered, and then nineteen eighty six happened and Opek was broken, the price plunged. Is there any ability to break OPAQ Opek plus to break the Saudist in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 12: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 11: I think that OPEC and OPEC plus, particularly this joint agreement between the Russians and the Southeast, is still very strong, and the Southeast have absolute control of the market right now, both on the upside and on the town side. They have demonstrated that they have the ability to push prices much higher than that many have anticipated, and they can do the other way down. They demonstrated only a few years ago that they are willing and they are capable of sometimes the market is needed to punish rivals or to force the collapse of US domestic oil production.
Speaker 12: So I think that they are really on the driving seat.
Speaker 6: How much does the price of crude operate on a lag And I guess maybe I've been tied up too much in monetary policy, but this idea that if Saudi Arabia is cutting production at a time we're heading into a bigger consumption period, whether it's the holidays or whether it's heating, that you're going to see a rapid spiking prices as inventories get depleted that much faster. How much is that concern?
Speaker 11: There is a concern, and certainly the Saudists have to cut production to bring the price. What it is today, but let's not forget that a production from unexpected sources have increased significantly this year. We were not expecting a much of an increasing production from an esports from Iran, however, Iran is this year the second largest source of incremental oil supply into the market, only behind the usail industry. The Saudist have cut production to accommodate in sol ways the returnal of Iran and making sure that the price remains as high. But looking at the demand side, it's just fine. We're a record high demand above pre COVID levels. Demand in China looks robots is not as it was in previous years, but this is still doing well. Gasoline and jet fuel in particular, and elsewhere the demand perhaps is not just spectacular, nothing to write home, but it's healthy.
Speaker 12: It's nothing to panic.
Speaker 6: At this point. There were some hopes that during the G twenty you would hear a better meeting between President bid Muhammed build someone, maybe a fist bump, something to give a sense of okay, is there going to be some pressure by Washington and Riad to maybe ease off these cuts increase production. There was a handshake, There wasn't much else have we gleaned anything from what happened in that meeting?
Speaker 12: No, nothing from that meeting.
Speaker 11: And it's quite surprising how silence the White House has been with the Saudi production cuts and the fact that we are back to one hundred the levels gasoline and diesel prices, in particular diesel in the United States are climbing very rapidly, and the White House has not say a p about what the Saudis.
Speaker 12: Had up to. I mean, in the past, you will you will have.
Speaker 11: The Press Secretary is denouncing the maneuvers, and I think that that's the main reason for that, is all the political maneuvering and diplomacy that is going on between the United States, Saudi Arabia, and Israel for some kind of diplomatic deal between the three sides. And that's to me the main reason why the Bide and administration has been relatively silent on one hundred dollars oil AaB.
Speaker 3: How small is the strategic petranium reserve in America now.
Speaker 11: Well, it's the smallest in forty years. We used for a lot of last year we have not put back. The White House keeps saying that we are gonna buy but it's not happening, and by the way it looked at the time like a very smart trade. Perhaps the best oil trade may just sell the SPR at very high levels in twenty twenty two, buy it back in twenty twenty three a much lower levels. WTI is more or less where it was a year ago when we were selling the SBR. That trade is off, and now potentially rather than making a big profit, the White House may and just losing money is if it needs.
Speaker 12: To buy by barrels.
Speaker 11: But so far there is no indication that the Department of Energy of the White House in any rush whatsoever to reveal the strategic Patrollium reserve. All the purchases that have been made so far are very very small.
Speaker 3: So from your perspective, how vulnerable is this country to a price shock a supply shock? Have you given? The production in America? It's very close to all time highs and the SPR is so low.
Speaker 11: Well, it is more robos that it was twenty years ago because it has a lot more domestic production. That's without doubt, and within at the time that President Biden have been the the in the White House, US production has to continue to climb to an old time high. But we were to have to do something similar to twenty twenty two. We have one one final bullet into to be used. That's as much as oil as is back on the SBR. We use a lot and there is no much.
Speaker 2: Left avia help me get ready for next week. We have Christian mail like a JP Morgan and it's really magisterial. Study a year ago of over one hundred dollars oil was based on a merging market demand. In your study of this and all the resources you have, is there a resiliency and growth to emerging market barrels per day?
Speaker 11: There is a still I mean, if we look at an oil demand in China and India elsewhere in Asia, they are consuming a lot more oil than in the past, but they consume a fraction of what Europe and the United States do on a per capita basis. And yes, those countries will perhaps kip a technology and may not use as many gasoline and diesel cars as we have used in.
Speaker 12: The West because they will move to electrify.
Speaker 11: But you see where the population is growing, where the economic growth is coming in this planet. That's Asia, that's Africa, that's Latin America, and there is going to be more need for energy, and I think a lot of that energy is going to remain for sil films.
Speaker 3: Aviah, this was great, fantastic column and on Bloomberg Today. Have a blast there. Bloomberg Opinion on Triple digit Crude at a read.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast on app, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live every weekday starting at seven am Eastern. I'm Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 1: You can watch us live on.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Television and always I'm the Bloomberg Terminal.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. I'm Tom Keen, and this is Bloomberg