Speaker 1: Coming up on the Get Loud podcast, we got a minicatains talking about undrafted free.
Speaker 2: Agent how did they make it?
Speaker 1: And you canna talk a little smack baby what not?
Speaker 2: It was hard on me.
Speaker 1: Hey do guys it doesn't get out podcast with Smoot and Jaks for is anybody seek Geek? The official taking a partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 2: What's up, brother? How you feeling my man? I'm feeling well. How's your weekend? Happy? Postmother's Day? Postmother's Day? Listen, this is the day that we give thanks to the women that influence us him in life. Man, Yet the end of the day is one of those days where it's subtle. All restaurants are pet yep, you gotta get it in. So I just want to know, Jas do you do that? Are you biased mother to father? Yes, you cannot do that. Man.
Speaker 1: I am to do something about mom. I don't know because I'm kming Mama's boy. Like I love my mom. I mean I love my dad too, But I think it depends also on the closeness of your relationship with each I think.
Speaker 2: Dad smells like hear and cigaret it's and moms smell like muffins. And cake muffins, you know what I like. So I think people love us differently, like as a father myself, my kids call me, all right, we got to get Mama a gift the Mother's Day. Yeah, like, no, you have to get a gift for Mother's Day. I don't have to give it. No more gifts, right, you have to get it for it. So now it's like, okay, let's go shopping for mother. And I was like with them, and I'm like, what do you want to get them? They know exactly what they want to get her. So I like, do y'all do this for me because the gifts y'all give me are not the same. Oh.
Speaker 1: I pulled a good with my mom this weekend, all right because we were talking and she goes, hey, I need your advice on something. I said, okay, mom, and she goes, we're thinking about moving. They live in Texas, and she was thinking about moving closer to the airport because I want to come down and visit for different reasons. And she goes, just think about it, and I want your advice, like the pros and cons. And I thought about it, like, if you want to move, just move. When I was talking about on the phone. I go, hey, I thought about it. At your new place. You just gotta have a pool. That's when I can come visit it. Yeah, oh yeah, we're definitely having a pool.
Speaker 2: I was like, you should move, Yeah, you should move. So she's gonna move. I got the pool recommendation in Good to Go. So it's more of a I guess, a verbal intimacy with the mom than it is the dad. I mean, it's the difference I need to notice, Jane. We'll see.
Speaker 1: I'm a lot closer with my mom than I am with my dad. I think it's gonna be fifty ideally, but family sometimes don't work. The dynamic goals how it goes right, Like I know some people that's way closer, like this is what I learned.
Speaker 2: My daughter's, my daddy's, my son's they are with the mother, they are like and I think it's that's the dynamic because I what I know is this, your daughters bring you family. Like my thanksgivings in the future will be full of my daughters and whoever they dating. Okay, my sons will be with their girls family. That's the that's the way it goes, Like you become part of their family. And the daughters bring you family. So that's the difference. So if you're gonna be with me most of the time, should you get me the best gills? Like I'm you need to think long term. I'm telling getting me the best gifts. But regardless, Happy Mother's Days to all the mothers out there, and thank you for everything you do that don't believe me, it goes noticed, all right, We notice everything you do. Thank you for everything you did, no question.
Speaker 1: We also noticed some rookies.
Speaker 2: I did. You were there?
Speaker 1: I did, And the media presence was massive week. I seen this much media and a long.
Speaker 2: Time, I haven't seen this much media since they introduced Fred Smooth as a Washington footballer. Like since you like it was. It was packed with media and I gotta get this to coach Coach Quinn. The energy just from the rookies. They understood the mission, full of energy, quickness. I enjoyed the teaching, even the coach which is an animated like the one thing when I played. I love high energy coaches. Okay, they push you, they demanded, but they have this this energy transfer yeah that I love. And what I saw out there was energy like we're not transferring you just knowledge, were transferring you energy and let you know, when you get in between these white wine, this green grass and white line, you need to be moving. Like we're not out here to a jog. We're not out here to walk. We out here to run. And it's a big difference out there. And I enjoyed that energy. I enjoyed everything about it. It made me feel like I had three plays left. Jinks, it really did it. I was talking to Sattanna and talking like, man, like, this is the type environment that bring out the best in people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, that's the type environment you want. I want to talk about this more. I want to ask you quickly though, Yeah, do you have three plays left in you?
Speaker 2: I got three plays left, like.
Speaker 1: If you were just out there three plays Like I got a few if.
Speaker 2: They gave me like three months to get in shape. Yeah. I be abbed up. I have abs all over my back mid neck. I could. I could give three plays because I still have the mental to do it. The physical. I wouldn't be trying to survive physically. I survived mentally, like I use my mental mental to beat the youngster. Like your knowledge of the game, the knowledge of the game, So I would do down a distance, I would understand how they trying to attack me. We got an old man out there in the right corner. They coming at me right, so I need to understand that. So I think I would have three plays, and I perfectly I would. They was in the red zone. That mean I ain't got to run much like everything happens now th right, like everything happens now in the red zone. But these guys today, they are bigger, stronger, and faster than us. We might have been more physical than them, but we all evolve. The human geno evolves, and not running with these useful guys can't do it well.
Speaker 1: You were telling me about Jadon Daniels, and the first thing you said when we were just talking off camera before we started was this ball, This football jumps out of his hand.
Speaker 2: Hollishly like listen to me, tight release, precision, effortless. Like. The one thing about quarterbacks that we do as cornerbacks when we study you is does it take you a lot to get the ball out your hands. I play with Danny Wafo, and I love Danny waffer House.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: The ball he scr he scruggled to get the ball out of it.
Speaker 1: Here is the perfect college corn, yes, but throwing in the pros, he just could not.
Speaker 2: Like he would muscle the ball and we'll just pick it off and then I just turn it up and drink it like a beer headed to the end zone. Like cause it ain't that you ain't ain't make the right throw it the right decision. You don't have the power in your arm to get it there. Jane Dames, that ball was leaving his hand and his deep ball is a beautiful ball so much it made me want to cry. I mean, he was like that in college beautiful, but I want to see it around some pros. I want to see it for myself. And I watched him. I went to the Mississippi LSU game last year and he right. I almost left at halftime. Scho was like thirty five zero. He was pushing the ball down the field with e leak neighbors. I just thought we was outclass and not athletic. But what I saw from him throwing that ball, I felt good about it. Like it was like it's an energy, it's it's some with his ball, Like it's a smooth ball, smooth delivery, so it won't be on screens. It's how fast. Can he learn the game?
Speaker 1: One thing you heard from the players, and I know we have a small sample size. Yeah, but the guys around him said, Man, he has an energy about him. You just want to be around him. And I'm sure you've been around players like that before. I think you're probably one of those players people just kind of want to be in your present.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, No, like energy attracts, a static electricity, everything attracts, and if you got good energy, players are gonna be naturally attracted to you. And what he got that most people don't have. They got taken number two in the draft. This do humble like it ain't nothing like he an athlete that then got all these trophies on the wall that still look at itself as just a dude. Like when when you just a dude and you just want of the dudes the guys are, especially when you have the ability if you want it to be snooty, you could like if you want to be quarterbacks, he could. No, He's like, man, I'm want of y'all. Man, whatever we gotta do to get better, whatever we gotta do, take it to the next level. I ain't no finished prospect. You ain't no finished prospect. Let's grow together. How could you not admire that? Jenks I let you not admire it? From your number two pick? They say, Man, ain't there? Like dude, we just getting started. Let's get this thing movie. Man. That's what you want for your quarterback. You want your quarterback to be a good person, period. You want offifty three guys to be good people. But we actually need in them fifty three. We need a couple of guys that ain't good people because you need a mixture, you know what I'm saying. You need a mixture. But if your quarterback is one of those guys that value people, bring people in, you'll see that hudder protect him. If you ever want to know if your quarterback is a good person, watch him get sacked. That's right, all right, he do his offensive line and pick him up. He dow his offensive line and want to fight the defensive line. That'll tell you everything I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: Or if your quarterback takes a head close to going out of bounds, yeah, and you see those old line going over there, and now.
Speaker 2: We start fighting. Don't touch, don't touch, I got don't don't you do that? And then go You earned it. You're not giving it, like you're not giving it. You didn't see guys picking gentleman's head up. That's right, he's always in Vegas. Yeah, I'm just saying you saw guys pick him up in Vegas off the script. But what I'm saying he did not see his guys rally around him because it was more me than us, and Jayden seems to be an US guy and loans he's an US guy. He's gonna be a guy that could lead to see did you have a rookiemendic cap? Oh? Yes, I did? How to go? I held out. I knew I was supposed to go in the first round. I end up going with four picks into the second round. And when it was time togotiate out, like hey, you got to pay me like a first round, it was like you win in the second, Like, but I'm a first round. I'm not coming, and they were like you're lion. Monday went past Tuesday with passed, no fred smooth. Then they paid me. Okay, I'm a negotiator. I came and I'll never forget one shot. Shattenhamen was my coach rookie year. He worked us so hard in Carlisle Pennsylvania that I was like, I don't know if I'm gonna make it in the league. Like I'm dead hard when I say we were doing two and three of days at the time. Oh my god, and this is full pad in the middle of Pennsylvania with the heat on hundred degrees. I remember my first day. They're like, oh, we got our rookie. Here, he finally here. We know he can cover. Can he tackle? They were like, let's do goal line. I like, at the beginning, at the beginning of practice, I never forget it. Dunelle Benning at full back, Steven Davis at tilback. Coach said, we're finnah do goal line. Put Fred Smooth middle linebacker. I like, I'm a I'm a corner back here, Like, we know you can cover. We gonna see can you get it? Mix it up? They ran power Bibo at me three four time. I remember before the first play, Bruce Smith turns around to me. He was like, listen here, rook don't you wait on them. You go die in that hole. You go meet them, do you you don't wait on them.
Speaker 1: Don't let Stephen Davis get ahead of stink.
Speaker 2: Don't let none of them get ahead of stink, and I was like, all right, I got you. I ran in there time at the time time, and they would toss me out the club. It didn't matter. I kept running in there, and that's all they wanted to see. They didn't care if I made the tackle. They wanted to see, was I willing to give it up inside that inside that drill? And I was fine with it and I liked it, and I got him laughing. I think they kind of potted there and they're like, what is this dude doing. I was willing to do what needs to be done, no matter what's ext of me. And that the whole thing and about rookies. When you get here, they're going to test you mentally, physically, everything about the game will be tested. Like you think you were so good because we all think about it. We was the cream of the crop on our college campus. They held us up, told us around campus like like they just you are the dude. And then when you get a must these other dudes, these dudes, dudes, these yellow jackets, You're like, man, I got so much to learn and so far to go, And what you really want to do is you want to see do you belong with them like that's the whole key, Like you're gonna make that one play at practice. I don't know if it comes to first day, second or the third, but it's gonna be one play that you make that you say, you know what I do belong with them, and this the play you ain't known as a rookie. You can't get that at Rooky Camp. Yep, you had to get that with the veterans. So it's all about that one play. When do you make that play that says all right, I'm a pro and.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be coming, I believe command. There'snna be live streaming on Tuesdays. Yeah, you can watch the vets and the rookies go.
Speaker 2: At it one. Yeah. I was just off the top of my head. Thank you, Anna. I'm not here. You are from Texas. I hold nothing against you. Like Texas guys. I know how y'all get down because Texas trying to act like it's his own country. You know what I should have said, I reckon, it'll be around. I reckon a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be over yonder.
Speaker 2: Most people don't know what yonder is. Like, we got our own lingo in the South. Yes, when we get Like when I first got here, and this is no lie, I don't know if I was talking to being standing, I was talking to just you know, you know, the old media. They still and they showed me an interview that I did as a rookie. Okay, I couldn't understand myself. Jinks just how bad it was. I was too country at the time. I don't know what they asked me about, but I just started yabbering. Est I was like, damn, I don't understand myself. Like I now understand what they mean, like, oh, you got that country dial out now. But when I go home in Mississippi now, they like, look at free finishing words, what you're a scholar. You're a scholar now, like so to them, when I go back South, I sound northern, yeah, but up here I sound country. So really I don't fit in nowhere.
Speaker 1: When I first went to school of Texas because I'm from the sticks, yea, and fellow Texans used to make fun of me. They'd be like, where are you from. I'd be like, I'm from Breckinerage, Texas. Where about you guys? And they'd be like this guy. So I knew, I knew I had to kill some of it. Yeah, And so I knew, since I wanted to do TV and radio, that I had to work on it. So I actively worked on my accent for a long time, so because I couldn't go on there and be like, well, that's another big game for the Washington Commanders this weekend. So I worked on it and I would practice it because I knew how I should sound. So I went home for the first time, dear Christmas break, been working up for a long time, and my mom opens the door, gives me a hug.
Speaker 2: Here's my voice. She's a country girl.
Speaker 1: Tears, She goes, are you shamed of us? I'm like, mom, no, no, no, no, no, you shame to be.
Speaker 2: A j You don't want to be a member of the Jenkins family.
Speaker 1: Like no, no, no, Mom.
Speaker 2: Yes, guess what? Like I remember, like when doing National broadcast, they gave me some paper. Okay, on this paper, they had these words that I had to repeat over and over. They wanted enunciate it. Yes, so and I'm working. I ain't gonna say the three letter system. I was working there in New York at the time, but they gave it to me, and then they gave me alternative words on here, and they wanted me to pronunciate them, pronunciate them, pronounciate them, keep doing it until it leaves your dialogue. So they're training me at the time, and they were like, well, we noticed you stay away from words they stole with his teeth, Like yes, instead of saying streaked, I say the road, the boulevard, anything. Yeah, I stay away from the it's t words because Mississippi don't allow you to say them correctly. So I knew there was a weakness in my dialogue, so I would I would instead of trying to learn how to say them correctly, I would find alternative words to stay away from them.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting about that too, Like I get that to a point, but also part of you being who you are and your authenticity, which is like that's smooth though he's from Mississippi.
Speaker 2: So I get it to a point.
Speaker 1: But then you don't want that to become a thing where it takes away from who you are.
Speaker 2: You don't. But you're also aware of your strengts. It's teeth and your weakness. That's true. That's true, So you have to be It's a balance. Yeah, it's a balance. You got to tell yourself the truth on it.
Speaker 1: No, let's tell the truth about hondah Ms. Please do guys explore the sophisticated look of this cr Hey man, this is what's the most powerful electrifying vehicle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Frinch movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can conquer the unpaved road and one of Honda's rugged SUVs and trucks.
Speaker 2: Hell, head up back, there's a dirt road. Hona can handle it, ailboy, like.
Speaker 1: The pilot Trails Fort Honda's most capable as s UV. Ever or experienced the thrilling performance of the fun to drive Honda Civic with an available turbo charged engine.
Speaker 2: Get power, performance and ruggedness with Honda.
Speaker 1: Find the Honda perfect for you at your local Washington area Honda dealer. Today and our friends at RTS Recycle Track Systems transforming the way commercial businesses and communities manage waste and recycling. They combine the power of AI with premium customer service to optimize where you pick up schedules, ensuring timely, inefficient collections to keep our neighborhood's cleaner and greener. Visit RTS dot com to learn more about how RTS can help your business manage.
Speaker 2: Waste more response. I think undrafted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agious, there were some sm or there were some players on Friday at rookie mini camp, yeah who were showing out.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, uh Marcus.
Speaker 1: I want to make sure to get his name right. He had an incredible one.
Speaker 2: Headed But guess what the one thing I want to say about him sank. Just call him Sank.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: He had two drops in his whole college career. Is that right? His hands are huge his last two years of college. He ain't drop a ball right. The ball he caught from James Dails, it touched two fingers. He brought it in right. So he's one of those guys that I probably don't got the fastest forty probably not the biggest guy in the world. But him having that one ability like I don't drop balls right, that's enough for a coach and say, you know what, I'm finna keep him around if you if you.
Speaker 1: Are a guy, yeah, always if the football is around, you're pulling it in.
Speaker 2: You gotta play. You got a place in this league. Like this league is not it's full of perfect for males. It's full of like guys that understand that I have scrints and I have weakness I'm gonna make sure my strints never go to weaknesses, and I can, I can, I can get better at the rest of the stuff. He made a couple of catches. Yank Off ran well. Uh, I've seen a lot of guys that be not like he ran around. Uh. It was a lot of guys, man, I see what they're trying to do. And this is the dash, thely diabolical part of the NFL. You can't keep everybody like. You cannot keep everybody.
Speaker 1: And you end up letting go of some really good players.
Speaker 2: That's what good teams do. Good teams cut good players like that's what they do. So it's as much as I was like hype for these guys, it was a part of me because even when I played, I made friends with putting much everybody in the locker room. It ain't no teammate I've ever had that I didn't know them first last name, basis. I knew the history, I knew everything about them. The bad part is some sticking, some don't. That's the reality of football. But seeing these guys go out here and they all their dreams are still alive jinx. Yeah, everybody that's out there with a jersey name on the back of it or not. The dream is still alive, but the reality of it, the dream is going to die. For a lot of players.
Speaker 1: Who is someone undrafted free agent? Yeah, or he actually could be someone who was drafted, but you played with them and they were cut. But you knew all this guy needs is another chance and he's going to be a success.
Speaker 2: And he was first of all the day we made it. Here is rookies for like rookie camp and Tonio Pierce. Oh, Antonio Pierson had this look in his eye like every shot, y'all give me somebody finna feel me. He came in here gangster. When I say hell, I was like, is he not drafted? Like he was a bad boy. It was like, just when y'all give me a chance, the dude behind me, I'll never play again. Barrel the linebacker got hurt. Antonio start to get reps, reps, reps, never messing up, being the leader. He knows where the b at. He gonna get there violently, he gonna keep doing. I was like, I was like, if somebody get hurt, this dude ain't giving him their job at And eventually somebody got hurt. He never gave him their job at He went on to win the Super Bowl with Michael skraight hand in the New York Giants. Now he's the head coach of the Raiders. It permeates from him. First of all, he's a leader. First of all, he understands football to the t. He mastered football because everybody think football is so physical. This is a chess match, not checkers. He understood that very very quick into our career. He understood that part of the game, and I thought that would made him special. And the fact that he understood no wasting movement. Wasted movements in football get you beat. He never wasted movements. He'd have gone forward. He's staying with He's never going backwards. And I always I always looked at my linebackers to see who was going backwards instead of full Well.
Speaker 1: Man, that's a great story.
Speaker 2: And I believe you.
Speaker 1: I mean when he was at his problem with the basket, no.
Speaker 2: No, just there just prison feet on the ground, like when you hear coaches say feet on the ground. I want you to be I want you to enjoy the now, don't worry about what happened in the past, and don't worry about the future. You can't control either. But you can't control is nothing now. And that's what he was about.
Speaker 1: We were also talking about undrafted free agents and there's a litany of undrafted free agents over time. Yeah, some of the best too have ever played this game. Actually, but those who are playing now. One guy is running this team, which is Austin Eckler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's one of those guys that persevere. And I think when you look at the new commander's pedigree, Austin Nikola is appiting me of it. He is a guy that had to earn everything. Look at our draft these we got to a guy that was walker Ons. All these guys ended up captains. We got guys they hold these people accountable. We got guys that was given nothing like giving nothing. You you didn't come to college a five star. You didn't come in here a four star. You came here as a one star, and you left a five star. That's what you want. We see this all the time in football. I talk about chopping up with Shutt Springs all time. Most five stars that make it to college don't make it to the pros. That's right, they don't because when they get there, they already think they made it, meaning they get no better. They get there, they stay the same, and then they think they should go to the lead. No, I take the two star to get there and turns itself into a five star because they're telling me ain no role too hard for him. All right, So, yes, Austin Ekeler Lulu didn't get drafted. I didn't realize that.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Listen, they got a vision of what they want, and they don't want anybody that's been handed anything. They want people that earn all they keep, that understand to be a commander, you need to have this pedigree. Look at the draft, like I enjoyed the draft for one reason. They didn't go out here and say, you know what, these five players are in Mail Kuiper's top one hundred, we're going to draft. No, they said, no, forget Mail and his bad hair. What we're gonna do is we're gonna draft guys that have a commander's pedigree. We want guys that earned everything they got, and that's the type guys we got and undrafted free agency are giving nothing. That's why I think about Pittsburgh in the Packers think about how they draft. They draft tons of small school guys, Yeah, and they do it for a reason because small school guys didn't get the accolades of the guy that went to Florida State and played in the National Championship Tennessee Alabama. This guy's still hungry to be known. This guy's still hungry to make his mark. This guy, he didn't get all of the fanfare. They want this chip. They want that small school chip. And that's why they do that in Pittsburgh. That's why they do that in the path because and that's why these teams are not very active in free agency. Yeah, they want they guys homegrown, home cook. What meal is better? You're country boy, home cook, the mic away TV deal home cook, home cook, That's what I'm saying. But we're in a microwave society. People want it now, they want it now. Be patient, Be patient.
Speaker 1: Did you do you hear the story that Sean Payton went into the quarterbacks room for the Broncos bo Nicks with there and they have an undrafted free agent from the Colorado School of Mines.
Speaker 2: And I guess when you call up stop, did you say the school.
Speaker 1: Of what minds like this? Not mine?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, I was like, you can give us a coal mine like a mine.
Speaker 2: No, when you said, I like, they do not have a dude as a mine. I think they're called the or Diggers.
Speaker 1: This school and this quarterback, undrafted free agent, I forget his name, Luthor, he had like because you know, the smaller schools they rack up ridiculous numbers. And he had like one hundred and sixty passing touchdowns and thirty rushing touchdowns in coags, like one hundred and ninety total. So he walks to the quarterbacks room. O Nix is there, Yeah, and Sean Payte walks in and goes, I want to talk to the guy witht a on hundred ninety touchdowns in college, just to mess with Bonnecks, just to let him know, like, hey, everybody here has done something.
Speaker 2: Everybody's equal here now, Yes, that's what he's trying to do. I think he knows how to play Jedi mind tricks. I believe that he's very good at playing Jedi mind tricks. And the quarterback room is his room, this room that he feels like, all right, this room I could yield the most power in. And I always think it's good when you do draft somebody. How you got somebody to kirk Cousins them. And when I say kirk Cousins, them to yo, Bobby three sticks Higo. This kirk Cousins meaning I drafted you. But this person right here he hungry and then you hungry dogs. He's got talented and he got talent too. So somebody to keep your feet on the ground. And I think that's why they did that. But I'm gonna have to go and study this guy from the Colorado school of mind.
Speaker 1: I let's face the bills and then I want to ask you about the rookies practice with the Vets and Anna it's gonna be so proud Tuesday from twelve to fifteen to one. We're gonna live stream that, so make sure you check it out.
Speaker 2: We just try to make Anna proud. Yeah, this is the least we can get id to get loud podcasts. It's brought to you by Bet three sixty five, the official sporting bet partner of the Washington Commanders. Bet on a range NFL markers with bet three sixty five apps. Craft your own personalized bet slip with Parlay's access thousands of games with live screaming, plays your bet before the match or doing the game up to you. Download bet three six five app today join eighty million members worldwide. That's eighty million. That's a lot of people. Huh, age twenty one plus only physically located in Virginia. Gambling Problem called it text one eight hundred gambler. All right and mwaa. We don't travel to escape life. We travel so life don't escape us. We dreamly in a place in the world and in the blink of our I'm there. I'm there. That's the wonder up. Like, all you have to do is decide where to Dulless International Airport. Let you imagination sore book your adventure today at Flydulls dot com. Slash non stop Beautiful you know lessiep.
Speaker 1: State Rookies Vets Live stream Tuesday twelve fifteen until one. Yeah, so what do you remember from the first time you practiced with the vets?
Speaker 2: It was magical, it was scary, It was everything you think about when you live in a dream. Like I think people don't understand. We dreamed since were like three four years old of playing this game and win it. Act happens and you get into your first couple of practices, Like I say, it's more of trying to figure out do I belong with these group of guys. How can I fit in with these group of guys? And Bruce Smith was my guy, like it's always gonna be one or two vets that time you get there to kind of they picking at you and.
Speaker 1: Isn't a funny Sorry to interrupt, but when you were talking about the first time you got on the field and you had to go right at the fullback Thatuce Jackson was the first sorry. Bruce Smith was the first guy to turn around.
Speaker 2: And say, hey, hey, it's what you need to do because it's always gonna beat this vet. It's gonna be one vet. They like take a liking to you, like take a liking to you, so they're gonna try to protect you by telling you to protect yourselfing all right, So I enjoyed that, but also, like I said, it's scary. I can remember like before the first practice, it's like you're putting on your jersey, you putting on your pet. All of this stuff is not traumatic, but all this stuff is like I'm on such a high. I'm on such a high, such a high. Now you go to practice and it's like, hey, let me, uh, let me try to just do what they asked me to do, but then they want you to show your talent at the same time, and I'm a talker, so I wasn't gonna go out there quiet because then I can't beat myself. So I went out there yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah immediately midrid Lee because I had already studied the wide receivers.
Speaker 2: On the roster. I had Locket, I had uh. Of course I had Rob Gardner, who's a rookie with me. I had just shut him down in the Peach Bowl, so I went, put your hands in your pocket. So I had Michael Rischbrook. So I had to study the other guys that was on the team, and I think Marty really was shocked that I had did that beforehand. He was like, why did you do that? Not like I need to know who I'm dealing with their practice. I'm not finna come to practice late and then show up and don't don't know these guys traits. I know Lockety couldn't beat me deep one fast enough, Rob Gardner couldn't beat me deep one fast enough. Michael Rischbrook, So I was like, I'm sitting on all of these guys like until you pull out a speed guy. I'm literally sitting on all the guys. So I had already did my homework. I had already understood the mission in hand, Like I already know it's a trash talker. You cannot go in that talk of trash if I ain't got no information on you. I need information. So I was always a studier, so I studied these guys before my first practice. But it was just it was anxious. Man. I felt so anxious inside. And I'll never forget that first night going to sleep in bed. I slept with a smile on my face like the joker because I was like, I do belong, like because you do feel like all right, yeah, I do belong with a powerful feeling. Yeah, that's a very powerful feeling.
Speaker 1: I remember when I first got hired in TV, and it was here many many moons ago, but I looked around, I was like, there is a lot of talent here. I gotta be ready to go, and I was.
Speaker 2: I was a little starstruck.
Speaker 1: And then I remember when I felt like I think I belong and it was a great feeling. But it's different in the NFL, that's obviously a different level. Were you a little starstruck because you you had some superstars here.
Speaker 2: I walked to the coach off, Why did you draft me? You said that, Where am I gonna play? I ain't like my idol, d On Sanders is in here, my co hearted and the guy I just was playing in SEC with Champ Bailey is here and dud Darryl Green? All right? Where am I?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Boy, go in that room, learn everything you can. We're gonna let it work itself out on the field. Don't you worry about that? So, yes, I was star scrug. People don't understand I WoT twenty three for like two weeks.
Speaker 1: That you've forgotten that.
Speaker 2: Most people don't understand that I wore twenty three for two weeks before I was given twenty one by my idol, d N Sanders. So I'm star scruged by prime time from the door I have. I have designed my whole football career after him. I wore two in college before for him, like everything was d D for the state right, Yes, everything was de ncentric with me. And I remember having talks with him because the good part I had already been talked to him in college, So he was one of the few people I already knew when I got here, he was like, uh, I'm not playing for Martie, Like, what are you talking about? Like, I'm not all right now. What I am gonna do is retire. I'm like, what are you talking about? He was like, here go my jersey, he go my locker, he go my joindans. We wear the same size, shit, we do everything. So by him like just handing this all into my left I felt ordained. I felt like I was a minister. You know what I'm saying. I felt like, oh, he's he's giving you as callible. You have to be the dude now. So I felt that I feel good about it. But like I said, I was I was never really starskrooked. I think I was starscrooked by d H. And then Dale Green was tasked with the task of for me in lie.
Speaker 1: Oh, prayers up.
Speaker 2: It took Jesus to have him. Lord, I need your help.
Speaker 1: I've got a young man that needs your assistance.
Speaker 2: So many degree had this, this this tight relationship. So I was just happy the guys took me in like that, you know what I'm saying, because I don't think that you know, they don't respond every rookie to say that's space of bells.
Speaker 1: I want to wrap things up here, and I get a question about Michael Parsons and sumo wrestling.
Speaker 2: He had a pamp home. You can't get on board with Seat Geek.
Speaker 1: We love seat Gke Oh I do oh, we love them, the official, not rumored, official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders. The dealers finalize they are a member of the Commander's family and get used to it. You will hear it all season long as you should. Doesn't matter if you're buying or selling tickets to Commanders games, I would say bye or any other live event in the DMV. Seat Geek is the place to do it. The new official ticketing partner of the Washington Commanders. It is Seat Geeks. So Commander's fans fan.
Speaker 2: Great great great granddaddy Papa Smooth, Papa Smooth hit up Seek Geek and got a ticket to the coliseum and watch some shows in Rome, like nine decades ago. Seek Geek been alone a thousand time, long time, long time. The way I went to the coliseum, by the way I went to Wrong Wrong one of my favorite places. I go there all the time. You're quite the historian. I mean now, no, no, that's what I like. I'm a nerd for history, and if you have never been to Rome, I tell you this, you would be very, very shocked at the When I say technology, I just shocked the way they built that city.
Speaker 1: Like with the lack of technology that they were able to build the things that they did just using their mind.
Speaker 2: Yes, listen to me, and you gotta be like, where is the how much manpower did it take to make these things?
Speaker 1: Have?
Speaker 2: I think we really sleep on our ancestors. We really sleep on the way they did things. I don't know. If you've never seen the pyramid and the Sphinx, you are food because when you lay eyes on it, you start to think differently about the past. Yeah, like they might then have a flat screen TV, but they had air conditioning. Well, you mentioned manpower. We saw some man power. In the last week. Michael Parsons and CJ.
Speaker 1: Stride went overseas and they were on a trip together and they got in the sumo ring with some sewer wrestlers.
Speaker 2: Now this wasn't the big even.
Speaker 1: Pretty big guy in a diaper, chest to chest, chest to chest. Michael Parsons got any o. The first time he lost, but the second time Michael who was obviously a huge dude, kind of had his way a little bit, got back a little bit. I would still bank on the sumo guy who just kind of sitting there well first of all, but.
Speaker 2: It was impressive. You don't look good if you got abs and you souno wrestling right, you need a gut by your butt. You understand me. This is about weight yes and weight transfer. I can't do it. Have you ever tried it? I think me and you said similar wrestling next week? Me and you live on TV. You just like, hey, next. But I love God that chase culture, chase other coaches. Man, that's what we got on this earth. We got a lot of different coaches. And it's fun to embrace of the coaches, fun to understand why you love these things. And that's what they did. They went adventure. I'm an adventurer like I'm Indiana Jones Jenkins. That's what I do. I adventure and I like to go see stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, now it's time for our comments of the week here. Thanks to all of you guys. Make sure you leave your comments in the YouTube comments.
Speaker 2: But we got this. We always want to hear from you.
Speaker 1: I try to get in there and respond a little bit when I can. Aaron Harris thirty seventy two says, remember we're talking about roast last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said, cause the Tom Brady roast was the best. It was great, wasn't. Oh Like, I had to ask myself who's next because Michael Jordan can't do it? Because we're talking about goats getting roasted. Oh yeah, Jordan can't do it. You wouldn't do it. Scan then Tiger couldn't do it. I came up with the perfect person who has a Brady like humility, Bred Pitt Ooh, it will be a good one because you gotta be a goat like. You can't go from goat to regular dude. That's true. Go go go go Bred Pitt being roasted. That's a good one. Be great, that's a good call. You got a roast question coming up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But Aaron Harris thirty seventy two says, Smooth definitely gave us material throughout the years. A DC Sports roast will be cool, Jade will be all right at two ten, two fifteen, Lamar and Vic play it that weight or smaller?
Speaker 2: Yeah, success.
Speaker 1: I'm more curious about the offensive scheme and even the defensive scheme. I'm also curious about who will be the return specialist on special teams.
Speaker 2: Oh great call right there. Uh, jaydon will be good. If you survive in the SEC at one ninety, you can survive in the league one night. I got here at one. Tell the truth, I lied one seventy five, so I survived. I didn't get hurt. It's part of it. If you're tough, you're tough. It don't matter how how big I small you are. And you're right Lamar Vick Saville. Because they had a special skill set, so does jayde Daniels. He has a special skill set. I'm in trouble. I'm running simplest that yoe. It's one of those things in the offensive scheme. I don't think any of us know. Like Coach said, this is not the funny gun, this is not any of that. He caters offense to the person. And if he's gonna cater this to jayde Daniels, if we will have a strong throwing element but also a strong running element to it defensive scheme. I like Coach Witt. I love Wit. I watched Coach Wit send help Child's Wiston get a yellow jacket man listen, I'm gonna be calling him John Wick by the end of the year, all right, because that's what he does. He dies SCTs. People on defense expect a very aggressive de with protecting the DBS because most people like to just put us on the island and say protect yourself. He will have a strong blitzing, but he'll still be protecting the DB's allowing them to make plays. So I think it's gonna be good on both sides. And I'm eager to just sit back and see how they nurture talent like a man you were Forbes. Now, if you let me be the roaster, if I'm the rooster in there, you would be the guy. I would be the guy.
Speaker 1: You would definitely be the master of ceremonies. Like if we had a.
Speaker 2: The Roast of d C, meaning DC's top athletes, get ov in there, Oh yeah, he wouldn He'd be like, I don't care. I don't understand that you're saying that. Yeah, but if we get these guys in here, you know who I would roll the roast the most. Gilbert Arenas I love Gill. No, not Gil, I love gil It'll be Bryce Harper. I would love to roast Bryce Harper even though you can was the championship. I do love you. But when you got to Philly.
Speaker 1: And he didn't get it, he left, and then the Nats won it all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: When he was here, it was everything Vegas. You know now, I got a fan everything on the whist coach. Then you got to Phil a death. Oh I've been a seventy six. I love it. I've always loved feeling. Know you haven't. You're lying, dude, like Hey, Philly, Philly, Forever man Rocky. I got Rocky tattooed on mom. You jerk, like listen. I would love to roast him, very slowly, rotisserie style. I would give DC everything they was waiting on for two straight hours. I don't even need material. I'm coming straight off the dome piece. I don't need no writers, I don't need nothing. I'm gonna give you everything you ever needed. Bryce Hopper, Oh, that would be fantastic. It'll be great.
Speaker 1: We can make it happen before we go. I want to send a shout out to the Players Club Emmy nominated Maddie, Kayla and Yoke. Hopefully they bring home a statue here in June but you might be rooting against them. I am rooting against some rooting for Rachel Nichols in.
Speaker 2: This situation, I want her to win. I can't stomach London Fletcher. Now do you think I bade the stomach him after an Emmy? He already? Oh, I had one more interception than you. You played seven more years than I did. You should If he gets an Emmy, oh it's over. I will not beabe the stomach see lo Green, I would not be the stomach London Fletcher because he will not let me make it. So I'm gonna postphone this when they say, I hope y'all don't win the Emmy, not today, next.
Speaker 1: Year, Yes, you mean next year without London.
Speaker 2: No, I want to give myself tied to win an Emmy. I need to win it before here. Okay, I need to win the Emmy before them. Now, I want y'all to win one. I'm not a getting I'm not a hater. No hate here, hate free. But I have to win it before London for it to be correct. All right, So my blessings go at the y'all. But I'm pulling for Rachel Nichols. I ain't recognitions recognition she been one of the best they ever do it. London Fletcher recognid it?
Speaker 1: Give me Nichols's it On'm Michael Jacins.
Speaker 2: That Doesn't Get Loud. Podcasts presented by seat Gig. Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 1: Remember live stream on Tuesday beginning at twelve fifteen the rookies and events.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next week. Give me that, Emmy.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.