Speaker 1: You're gonna jump right in step because we're talking. Before we went live, I said, I feel like we we have to talk about Matt Gains like we can't, can't ignore the literal elephant in the room. All right, So give me your okay, let me ask you this way, and then you go take it the way you want. Will Matt Gates serve a day as the attorney general in a Donald Trump administration? No? Okay, tell me.
Speaker 2: Why, No, he's not. He's not going to get confirmed. And I think that there's a couple of things going on right now. So I look at the numbers and I actually think this is gonna be a big deal in the weeks ahead. Small moral victory, but Donald Trump will not wind up with majority support in the electorate. It will be a plurality victory. He will drop down, I suspect looking at the numbers coming in under that fifty percent mark. And so this is and still is a closely divided country.
Speaker 1: Yep. So I could go on for a long time about.
Speaker 2: Some of the deficiencies that led to the scene that we saw today in the White House with Trump and Biden, and we moved in to that, and.
Speaker 1: That's Biden's legacy.
Speaker 2: There it is, And a couple of hours later we have Tulca Gabbert, who's as equally unfit to be the Director of National Intelligence, joining Pete head Seth, who's as equally unfit nominated as Defense Secretary. So the American people are fickle. And I just would remind everybody watching the approval level for the Iraq War on the day the bombing began with seventy seven percent yep, and it doesn't end up like this. So experience and suffering are great teachers. I would say to everybody, like, we're gonna get into this. There is no department that Elon Musk is heading. It doesn't exist. Nope, there is no agency. There's no budget, there's no statute, there's no authority.
Speaker 1: I mean literally, just like you and I could make up it and that would happen.
Speaker 3: You and I could say Chrystmalas and Stever doing the you know, the department of whatever substack in YouTube, like it has the exact same current authority as the thing for Ramswami and Buster are doing.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Trump won the election. Trump controls the Senate, MAGA controls the Senate. It's supposed to be a coequal branch of government. Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins plus plus plus, And I guess my question is what is the line? Because no serious person who cares about civil liberties the constitution vote for Matt Gays, who was under investigation until literally the moment he resigned Congress for illegal drug use, hard drugs, coke, sleeping with underage women Attorney General of the United States is just unacceptable and it gives you a glimpse into the future of what this is gonna be like. And literally tomorrow morning is seven hundred and thirteen days until the midterm election, which is right. The years are right, the years are short, the days are long and gonna We're gonna have some long days over the next two short years.
Speaker 1: I think. I think my favorite reaction like just so people know, like Matt Gates is not for everything. Steve said, I'll add one thing. Matt Gates is very I don't know, I don't know if reviled this white word, but very disliked among Republicans even in Congress. My favorite response was Mike Simpson, who's like an old timey Republican. He's from Idoh, he's been there. Forever kind of established and guy he said, some reporter said, what did you hear that Gates got a denomination from Trump? For ag? He said, you gotta be shitting me, which is like my favorite, like honest response. And I do think I'm stunned that he You know, what, were you sur Let me ask you this and then we'll move on. Were you surprised when you heard the Gates thing or not? I am?
Speaker 2: I have an emotional dissonance that every time one of these is revealed, I'm simultaneously shocked yet not surprised. So the experience of it sitting and I'm not happy about this. Let's just say that my public disposition towards this has been worst case scenario for a long time. And so there are people that are close to me that, in the twenty four to forty eight hours after the election, you know, call up and say, I don't think you should use the word fascist, which I've used to describe and I think is appropriate. You are catastrophizing this, And I listen, and I try to be humble, and I try to look in the mirror and say, but then when he makes disappointment, I know that I am right and that everything that I have said is going to come to pass, that this will be a catastrophe. You have in the form of Tulci Gabbert for those of you you know listening may or may not remember her trip to Syria to bascharel Assade. Extremely strange. This a just a fringe congresswoman. No difference between her and a Marjorie Taylor Green, same same person. Uh, this is a deeply, deeply unfit person who parrots all the time Vladimir.
Speaker 1: Putin talking points.
Speaker 2: So the she is what is called a useful idiot, right, and she's gonna be the director of National Intelligence and a nothing nothing of the Fox News loom who's been nominated as Defense secretary. And the reality is is the is the Senate has to kill all three of these these nominees. I mean, if you're a United States senator and you give a fuck at all, and I and I mean that at all. There's some conversation that takes place in Washington, and I'm encouraged, and by encouraged, I mean a cintilla of encouragement with John fun because that signals that of the three, the Senate was sending a message to Maga that we're the United States Senate. We're gonna be independent, so I don't know what happens here, but but these people right are unfit.
Speaker 1: And by the way, the.
Speaker 2: Senate Democrats have some prerogatives here. They're gonna get the FBI reports on these people, They're they're going to vet them, they're gonna get to question them.
Speaker 1: And these processes should be brutal.
Speaker 2: And this idea that Trump is going to circumvent the Senate confirmation process and collusion, I cannot imagine that it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: But if it does.
Speaker 2: If it does, and Trump is able to assemble the most unfit cabinet in American history with a capitulation on the part of the US Senate regarding their advice and consent, then we're at a place in the country really where our democracy.
Speaker 1: Is under a deep threat by action, not just word.
Speaker 2: And at that point we start having questions about civil disobedience, about mass protests, or it's all gone in six months to a year.
Speaker 1: I think that it's so interesting you mentioned and we're gonna move on. It's interesting you mentioned Telsea Gabbert because I had a friend in the intelligence world say, after the Gate thing, which was right almost simultaneous with the Gabbart things, say, look, I know the Gates thing is gonna get the most attention, you know, like, I get it, but that the Gabbert thing was what he was more concerned about because of who she is, in her back and the role right and his estimation of the likelihood that she would she was more likely to get confirmed than Gates, which which I thought was like, I know, we focused on Gates. I get why we focus on Gates, but I actually think I'm glad you mentioned that because I think it's a good point.
Speaker 2: I'm Steve Schmidt. This is the warning, and I invite you to join. Subscribe on our substack, on our YouTube channel, follow us. Welcome to the community.