Speaker 1: Dear let you know USA listener. Before we start, you should know that if you want to listen to this episode ad free, just join plus and you can join for as little as seven dollars a month. Joining also gets you behind the scenes access and yes, some cheesemake. So click the link in the episode description and after you do that, then click play. Let's go to the show. Hello, dear listener, the Men's World Cup is underway. Don't know if you noticed. Futuro Studios has actually released a new podcast about soccer culture in the United States and it's Underdog Roots. Oh my god, I love it so so much because I don't know anything about football, but I love it Underdog Story. The podcast is called American Football and it's a show that goes beyond the sport to the people and the stories that make it great. It's hosted by our very own Fernanda Echavari. In one of their recent episodes, Fernanda sat down with sports announcer Andres Cantor. He is the voice of soccer for so many in the United States and beyond. He talks about the art of calling a game, what his viral moment from the last World Cup shows about men getting emotional about soccer, and he reveals his pregame routine on mena press play so you can listen.
Speaker 2: Andres Cantor has been a sports announcer for almost forty years. He's received eight Emmy Awards for his broadcasting and a place in the National Soccer Hall of Fame. You know his voice that he has watched an announced countless games, but there's one moment at the end of the last World Cup in Qatar that is seered into his memory.
Speaker 3: Benol Football.
Speaker 4: The final was a roller coaster of emotions in itself. It took us from Argentina's domination against the defending world champion to France tying the match.
Speaker 2: Review Francia, Argentina goes up three to two, then France ties again. It's three to three, taking the game all the way to penalty kicks.
Speaker 3: By the peak.
Speaker 4: When when the peak age started, I was ready to like pass out. What happened in Qatar with Argentina and Messi winning the World Cup is one of my favorite moments.
Speaker 2: If you weren't watching this in real time, maybe you've seen the clip on social media andres Cantor wearing a perfectly pressed baby blue button up shirt, clinging to his headset microphone, screaming with joy, his tears barely visible behind his round framed glasses as he hugs his fellow announcer. I think this video is such a beautiful thing to watch.
Speaker 3: The moment was my true self.
Speaker 2: Are you a crier? Are you an emotional guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I could say I'm emotional. I'm not hardle as a rog when it comes to shelling tears. So if I have to shadow one, I will.
Speaker 2: What do you think about Soccer makes men who may otherwise be very like Rah kiss each other and hug each other and celebrate and like cry.
Speaker 3: I got it the Magic of Soccer.
Speaker 2: From Futuro Studios. I'm Fernande Chavarri and this is American Football, a show about soccer culture in the US and it's underdog roots. I've gotten to do a lot of wonderful interviews for this podcast, and I've enjoyed every single one of them. But when the video calls started with Argentinian announcer Andres Cantor, I kind of had a moment of like, wait, what I know that voice. That's the voice that calls the games. His voice means soccer to me. We spoke a few weeks before the World Cup started, and right away when he introduced him, his chill vive put me at ease. I think most of our audience knows who you are, but if you don't mind introducing yourself, who you are and what you're known for.
Speaker 4: Sure, I'm known for being a good guy, a good dub oh, I love that, and yelling goal.
Speaker 2: During his now almost forty year career sportscasting, he has cemented himself as the voice of soccer, first calling games for NBCON as far back as nineteen eighty seven and then moving over to Telemundo in two thousand. I mean his goal call has literally sold as a ringtone on Telemundo's website. His charismatic and energetic game narrations have helped popularize the sport in the United States, even for those who don't speak Spanish, especially in nineteen ninety four when he was an announcer doing the first World Cup hosted in the US. David Letterman even brought him on the Late Show at the time.
Speaker 5: Here now to call a goal from a World Cup game played yesterday, Please welcome visions Andrea's cantor Andreas.
Speaker 2: Two decades later, in twenty fourteen, he guest starred in one of the most American shows of all times.
Speaker 3: And Contor, you know that is incorrect usage. I have no control. This job has taken. It's all.
Speaker 4: I always say that. Sometimes I end up my broadcasts feeling as tired as the players have run fifteen miles.
Speaker 3: On a match.
Speaker 2: Listening to Cantor during a game, it's like watching a virtuoso jazz artist freestyle NonStop for ninety minutes or more. And much like a musician, Cantor needs to protect his instrument when you are calling these games back to back to back. How do you sort of reset or recharge your voice.
Speaker 4: I'm supposed to do all the things singers do, which is rest the mind, rest the soul, rest my body, which you try to get us many hours of sleep. The recommendation is before and after.
Speaker 2: Silence, so okay, no talking before or after sportscasting, which actually can be kind of hard, especially after.
Speaker 4: The game, because obviously somebody will go for an interview. We have a post production meeting, and then you go out and keep on talking, and you go out to dinner and the surrogance, Oh, I listen to your goal, but you said there was a penalty. It was a penalty, and so I can't be rude and say I can't speak well.
Speaker 2: He makes all of this look so effortless. It takes a ton of preparation and pure talent, especially because.
Speaker 4: I hate scripted material. I add, some producers fight me because I do not like using teleprompter.
Speaker 2: What do you do? What does it look like?
Speaker 3: So you're going to reveal trade secrets? Please?
Speaker 2: I just have so many questions about your process.
Speaker 4: It is easier around the World Cups than it is on a regular weekend where you know, let's say I'm calling the Premier League for Telemundo. Right before, I would tell you I would go watch tape. Now, with all the resources that we have at our disposal, it's much much easier now, I tell you, I'll go on YouTube and find the game of Burnley, the last weekend's game, and I study how they play. I study the characteristics of the players. If Smith has long hair, if Johnson uses like a ritband that I got to identify him by not even looking at his shirt number. So there are little tricks that I use to try to identify the players. Come the World Cup, it's pretty much the same process. I will give you one of the games that I have Germany against Kurasau. Germany, I could probably go like this, close my eyes and I will have a sense of who has the ball. Kurasau I haven't seen yet. I'm in the process of compiling all their information. They're playing the World Cup for the first time in history. Is the smallest country to participate in a World Cup.
Speaker 2: He's a bit old school about how he likes his research.
Speaker 4: I still like to write my notes and have them on paper, even though I could have him electronically on a tablet. I take my sharpiece. I use different colors for the team lineup that I have in front of me. I use a yellow highlighter to mark whenever the player is given a yellow card. I take my old fashioned chronometer. Really, I know, it's kind of my lucky. Char might still have my old chrona with me.
Speaker 2: He drinks a ton of water. But food that's a whole other story.
Speaker 4: I usually don't eat my cut of It's probably like four or five hours before a match. I will not have even a bite. I'll wait until everything is done to me.
Speaker 2: And no matter how many decades he's been calling.
Speaker 4: Games, there's always that sense of a potential embarrassment on national television. It doesn't really matter whether you're a rookie or a forty year pro. Anything can happen on live TV. Anything that you say, anything that you miss say, anything that you miss pronounce, anything that you miss in interpret, any players you identified wrongly. When you're surrounded by sixty thousand yelling fans, producer talking to me in my ear, the emotions of the game, and the fast pace of the sport itself, you really have to work your mind to make sure that everything comes out the way you want it to be. So it's taxing on the mind.
Speaker 2: So now we know how a real pro does this, but how exactly did he get into this in the first place.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, I did not want to become an announcer.
Speaker 2: That's coming up after the break.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm Isa medinak Median and host of I'm Right Your Wrong Podcast, a comedy podcast about the everyday debates we've all had at brunch. Every week, I welcome on a special guest the likes of Leo Gonzalez, Morgan, Jay Teffi, Possoa and Moore to talk about what they think is right or wrong, but mostly we banter chiese moosiamos and keep you company. Check out new episodes of I'm Right Your Wrong podcast every Wednesday anywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's American football. I'm Fernande Charvari. Growing up in Argentina in the nineteen sixties, Andres Cantor couldn't escape soccer.
Speaker 4: The first gift that every gift got was a soccer bowl, so that was probably my first memory gigging a ball when I was probably four years old, five years old. In Argentina, there's social clubs where you go every weekend and spend time, and all I was played football.
Speaker 2: Did you ever think about playing professionally?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 4: I tried out in Argentina when I was twelve thirteen. I last I think it was no more than ten minutes, and they took me off. But there were so many kids trying out at the youth level, and I obviously had the dream yes of playing professional, but I wasn't good enough to make it to the pros.
Speaker 2: And when he wasn't playing soccer, he was listening to matches on the radio. To one guy in particular, his version of Andres Cantor.
Speaker 4: There was one gentleman, the best broadcaster at the time, that had ninety percent share of the audience. Everyone listened to him, called Jose Maria Munos. So I guess I got his rhythms in my years, you know, for life, because we all listened to him and his broadcast and his way of calling games.
Speaker 2: What did he sound like?
Speaker 4: He was always very, very energetic during his play by play.
Speaker 2: And his broadcast, And while Cantor would listen to Munos on the radio, he would sit down and write.
Speaker 4: I sat in front of my dad typewriter and wrote the game report just for.
Speaker 3: My own sake, for fun, for fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have, I guess, acute observation of what I've seen, and I started reading the game pretty much better than any any kid my age. But I never thought for a minute I would end up doing TV and radio, which is.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, crazy, do you think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as a matter of fact, I did not want to become an announcer. I liked writing.
Speaker 2: When he first moved to southern California as a teenager, he wasn't exactly thrilled.
Speaker 4: Sacramento, California. It's a very big and vibrant city now, but back in the seventies it was very, very different than Buenos Aires, and I suffered a lot because I was pretty much miserable that first year. I was missing absolutely everything that I have in Buenos Aires.
Speaker 2: His parents, who were both doctors, eventually moved the family to Los Angeles. So the second move is to la bigger city, more soccer, maybe a little.
Speaker 3: Bit more soccer. Yes.
Speaker 4: I started playing in my high school team in my senior year San Marino High School. I always bragg We reached the final CIF for the first time in history when I was there, so I was a fine year.
Speaker 3: I made some new friends.
Speaker 2: In the team, and just like when he was a child back in Argentina, writing was a constant. He was the editor of sports pages for his high school newspaper. He got a journalism degree from USC without taking a single broadcast class. Mind blown, and one day he went from writing to using his voice.
Speaker 4: Since I was covering as a writer many sporting events in Los Angeles, many of the biggest fights of boxing's history in Las Vegas, etc. I coincided with a lot of American media, and one day in February of nineteen eighty seven, I get asked if I could come into Univision studios for an addition, because they were looking for either a soccer commentator.
Speaker 3: Or a soccer play by player. Now, Sir, I had a lucky.
Speaker 4: Break and the probaly within a week, I got a call from Corgaveri, whom I pretty much owe my career two, and say.
Speaker 2: You're hired, coming up. I wrap up my conversation with andres Cantor by talking about some of his all time favorite soccer moments and his impressions about the twenty twenty six FIFA Men's World Cup. We'll be right back. It's American football. I'm Fernande CHAVARRII I couldn't not ask Andres Cantor about his favorite soccer moments. First one was in the seventies.
Speaker 4: I was again in Argentina and watched Argentina win it first woke up in nineteen seventy eight Argentina can Fiond Rondol.
Speaker 2: His second favorite would later be called the goal of the Century.
Speaker 4: I was already working for a Graphico magazine of Argentina in nineteen eighty six, and so my biggest idol, Diego Maradona lifts the Trophy and score the most beautiful goal in the history of the World Cup against England.
Speaker 2: They're both Argentina moments, oh yo. And then there's also the one that we started the episode with when he got super emotional watching Argentina win in twenty twenty two, but taking Argentina out of the equation.
Speaker 4: I remember one of my goals, London Donovan's goal for the US against Al Years in South Africa twenty ten, last minute extra time. The US was being eliminated of group phase, which was a big embarrassment, and he scored on a counter attack and I left it all out. Five years later, I was very lucky enough to see Carly Lloyd score a hat trick in the FIFA Women's World Cup Final in Vancouver, and the third goal was from midfield, and I always say that that was probably one, regardless of gender, one of the greatest World Cup final goals of all times. So the Talle Live Country Quatroso.
Speaker 3: And King Semuta.
Speaker 2: During our hour long conversation, I think I made it pretty clear that I love to talk about logistics and process, so I was curious about what his day to day will look like for this World Cup, because for the first time ever in the almost one hundred years of World Cups. This time there are three host countries, three big countries.
Speaker 4: Qatar was beautiful because I slept in the same hotel room, same bed for forty days. Now I get to go to eight different cities in all three countries that are hosting the World Cup. So I get calling game hop on a Blaine repeat. I'll go from LA to Houston to Vancouver to Dallas to Kansas, to Miami to Alakata.
Speaker 2: Are you a really good packer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm used to it.
Speaker 4: I usually take whatever it's necessary, and I've learned that if I forget something, there's always somewhere where I can buy whatever I forgot.
Speaker 3: If I need to.
Speaker 2: If you've been keeping up with this podcast series, you know that this World Cup is widely regarded in the US as a consequential one for many, many reasons. Here's what soccer starred tap Ramos told me in an earlier episode in nineteen ninety four. I feel like it was sort of the birth of soccer here. Twenty twenty six has to be the World Cup that makes soccer permanent, and Cantor agrees.
Speaker 4: Back in nineteen ninety four, I knew that soccer had to make it in America. So we depend on the World Cup being popular among the general margil for people that had never seen a.
Speaker 3: Soccer match in their lives, etc.
Speaker 4: But as much as I said in nineteen ninety four, we need to have a good World Cup in all sense of the word for the sport to explode definitely now in this World Cup will solidify the fandom of people that are going to be either new to the sport or that already watched the sport, and will solidify their loyalties to organ.
Speaker 2: On top of the pressure of this World Cup to finally take soccer out of its underdog status in the US, It's also happening during a particularly volatile period in geopolitics. Whereas the typical attitude of host countries has been one of open embrace, the Trump administration stands has been overly hostile, throwing four qualified nations on a visa and others on a soft blocklist. It caused a kind of dark miasma painting for many a tournament they feel should just be a positive global celebration. As historian Jonathan Wilson said in our first episode, I think this is a World Cup that people approach you in trepidation. Even with this backdrop, andres Cantor is optimistic about the future of soccer in the US.
Speaker 4: Politics aside. It's a different country altogether. It's definitely not the same as it was in nineteen ninety four. The biggest difference, I would say is sandom. You would pull one hundred people in nineteen ninety four about do you know what the World Cup is? Probably seventy would say, I have no idea, And if you do the same now, it's probaty the opposite.
Speaker 3: Thirty would know and seventy would know.
Speaker 4: Way back in nineteen ninety four, nobody could watch more than one game per weekend on television, the ones that we were calling on Univision.
Speaker 3: So the fandom is that much greater.
Speaker 4: I'll quote Billy Joel in Piano Man, hopefully we will all forget life for a while during the thirty nine days of competition and then hoping that the world's problems get fixed.
Speaker 2: At the risk of sounding Pollyanna, this is something that I talked about in episode one. The escape that the World Cup provides for so many of us, and its significance here in the US for immigrants and kits of immigrants. Well, my last question is a bit of a personal one. Soccer to me, I don't know the stats. I can't tell you you know who plays one during the weekend. But when the World Cup happens, I go nuts and I go hard and I get really into it. And my dad was always the connection to soccer for me since I was little, And this is the first World Cup that I'm going to experience it without him. This is the first one since his passing. So there's a lot of connection to soccer that is beyond the sport, that is about family, that it's about connection. So I'm just curious who's the person that sort of does that for you.
Speaker 4: You asked me before if I am emotional, and I got emotional to hearing your story, and I know that you will when you hear me he got a lot of things will go through your mind and they're all going to be beautiful memories. I have no doubt where that Mexican Jersey proud. Think about your dad and think about who you are and what your dad allowed you to become. If I may say, you know, my two beautiful kids, my wife, and you know when Argentina won the World Up in twenty twenty two. Obviously, I got a big hug from my son. Actually he was pitch sided and I don't know how. He found me at the presentation studio and we hugged and cried.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: With a video that also went very, very viral. I'm going to close by saying that I am the luckiest person in the world because I worked doing what I love the most. I've been given the best seat in the house for the last forty years. They pay me for it, and I've been very lucky to be surrounded by great professionals and a great family that has allowed me to.
Speaker 2: Do what I do.
Speaker 4: So every time, and believe me, this is true, every time I walk onto a broadcast booth at the stadium, being the first game or the final, I'll just go I'll pinch myself, even though it's something that it's part of my regular job, but I will still pinch myself and say how lucky I am, and I.
Speaker 2: Am thank you so much for sharing that with us.
Speaker 1: That was an episode of American Football, a new podcast about US soccer culture from Futuro Studios. Make sure to go to the American Football podcast That's Futbol and subscribe. You can also find a link in this episode description.
Speaker 2: American Football is produced by Fututo Studios in collaboration with Iheart's Michaultura podcast network. I'm your host Fernande Chavarri. This episode was produced by Levi Sharp. It was edited by our senior editor Rebecca Vara and me. Fact checking by Roxanna Guire, mixing by Brandon Krugel at Multitude Productions. Victoria Strada is our production manager. Legal review by Jonathan Fisher at Fisher Legal Arts, Andres Cavaguero is also part of our production team. Our executive producers are Marlon Bishop and Maria Garcia at Futuro Studios. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomes and Arlene Santana. Futura Media was founded by Maria Inojosa. You can listen to more episodes of American Football on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your shows. And if you like it, please give us a rating and a review. It will help other people find us. Thanks for listening. Latino USA is made possible in part by Public Welfare Foundation catalyzing transformative approaches to justice that are community led, restorative, and racially just. The Melon Foundation MELON makes grants to support the visionaries and communities that unlock the power of the arts and humanities to help connect us all more at melon dot org. Funding for Latino USA's coverage of a Culture of Health is made possible, in part by a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.