Speaker 1: Hi, Welcome to Desperately Devoted, the Ultimate Desperate Housewives.
Speaker 2: Rewatch, hosted by me, Terry Hatcher, my on screen daughter Andrea Bowen, and my real life daughter Emerson Tenny.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, we're bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, the craziest thing happened to me on my way over here. I wonder if this ever happens to you guys, because I think it says so much about people. So I get on the freeway. When I get on the freeway, I have to do that thing where you have to get over four lanes to the left, like in less than half a mile, because your your exit's going to be over there. So you have your blinker on, and you know, people let you usually don't, so this don't let you in. So this one woman like it's the thing. This is the thing that bothers me. This is the thing. So she's back far enough that like she could have let me, you know, like, and I've got my blinker on, and I'm like great, but she purposefully accelerates to not let me in. And you know, she was driving an Audi e Tron. And then I talked to myself in the car for like five minutes. I talked to her, and I talked to myself and I say, like, do you feel good about yourself because you didn't let me in? You and your e tron? Did you feel so good? And your fancy Audi e tron? You just you didn't let me in and you got you didn't let me in. And it just made me think like about people deeply and and like how these little things represent who they are. And I guess the reason I'm telling you that is because this we're talking about the second episode of Desperate Housewives today and which is called Knee, which is a it.
Speaker 1: Is a stupid song time lyric.
Speaker 3: Yes, the show Follies. It aired on October tenth, two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: You guys did follies in high school.
Speaker 1: We actually did falsettos.
Speaker 3: Oh you did?
Speaker 2: Oh yeahkay yeah close.
Speaker 1: And you were saying that Mark Cherry was a huge some time. He was as all good people are, totally as am I.
Speaker 2: But anyways, this, my whole etron Audi cutter off or not nice driver person made me think about sort of the one of one of the themes I thought of this episode is I think it's a bree line. How much do we really know about our neighbors and how much do we want to know? But how how do we how much do we know our neighbors? And I actually had a very interesting Los Angeles experience happened in my neighborhood over COVID. So I've lived in the same house for over twenty years and I have never known any of my neighbors. The only time any neighbors spoke to each other, this was many, many, many years ago. George Clooney used to live up the top of my dead end street.
Speaker 3: What a shame he didn't know him.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is different podcast. Okay, we'll get we'll get there. Okay. So in my driveway, my driveway up the hill was the last driveway you could get close that the Secret Service would let you get to George clues house because he was having a big fundraiser for Obama. So all the neighbors, we all of course wanted to see Obama drive by in the motorcade, but you couldn't stand in the street because the Secret Service wouldn't let you. Had to be in a driveway, you couldn't be in the street. So my driveway, all these neighbors who I didn't know, nobody knew each other.
Speaker 1: I remember this. Yeah, I know what you're gonna say. I remember that.
Speaker 2: Stood in the driveway together at midnight, waiting in the cold for the motorcade to come drive by for a millisecond to feel like we waved to Obama as do you remember this?
Speaker 1: I totally remember this. Now, she's a super wide driveway. You've been over to the house, and yeah, all the neighbors were camped out.
Speaker 2: There anyway, so I never knew anybody. And then COVID happened, and so we were out much more, walking our dogs walking. All everybody did was bake sourdough and walk, and so I started to meet people walking, and we started to realize, oh, you're a manager and you work at Fox, and you're a producer and and oh yeah, wait either are you anyway, So we started a neighborhood. We call ourselves the names. We started a neighborhood like dinner supper club. And so now I know, and I mean I know, like I could call them for help with my parents. I could call them if the WIFEI goes out, if the electricity goes out, whatever. I probably know at least six households on my block, and it is the most comforting, wonderful feeling. So do you guys know your neighbors? Do you know your neighbors? Do you like your neighbors?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, you know. I love just witnessing from afar the relationship you've developed with your neighbors, because I think I don't know. It makes me feel as your daughter reassured that there's this.
Speaker 2: You're dead desperately, the next single alone mother isn't quite so sad.
Speaker 3: She's got back up.
Speaker 1: Not what I was gonna say, no, but that there's this larger community, because I think that's what we all aspire to in some respect. And I know in my building, I live downtown and in our building, you know, it's loft units. But also during COVID, I started getting closer to my neighbor who I share a wall with on one side. And then now actually we have like six neighbors and we're all part of the neighborhood package rescue because we live downtown and sometimes when packages get delivered, they get stolen. And so now if someone's out of town, or even if you're at work, or if you're just like not away and another person in the package rescue sees your package outside of your door. They'll take it into their house and then text in our group text and say, hey, I have your It is nice. Sometimes you're like waiting for the package and they take it in they candish on and then have to wait a couple of days because then they you can't get it back from them. But it makes me feel It makes me feel very reassured. And then my neighbors on the other side seem so cool and I would love to get to know them. But this is where I'm being a nosy neighbor because our bedroom share a wall, and I hear them fighting sometimes. And then I also heard them having sex.
Speaker 2: Oh, we were going to say me too, I did too.
Speaker 1: Well, I also heard I heard. Well. See, I feel like I know everything about their relationship. They started off having sex, now they're fighting, Now they've gotten a dog. Doesn't seem like anyone's around with the dog at all. Yeah, but they're still together, so I hope it works out for them and me.
Speaker 3: Let's see, Well, we my husband Josh, and I moved at the beginning of the year, and so you know, we're getting to know our neighbors. But actually one of our neighbors did a very neighborly thing. When we moved in and he came by and he introduced himself, and he happened to mention that he was a contractor as well, and he also told us. He asked us at the time, like, hey, do you guys have a kid? And we didn't at the time, you know, And and he said, our neighborhoods like the best for trick or trading, which made me think of you. And when we when I went trick or trading with you guys growing up, Terry always gave up full sized candy bars. Anyway, and uh, anyway, he gave us this his card, and we struck up this nice relationship. And now he has been helping us at our house, doing work at the house and stuff, and he's phenomenal and uh and he gave he was one of the first people to give us a gift when we found out that we were expecting.
Speaker 1: So that's so sweet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nicee.
Speaker 2: Maybe COVID made people become better neighbors.
Speaker 1: I hope we're getting a return.
Speaker 3: I'm scared of each other, but also better neighbors.
Speaker 1: Because we were afraid of each other.
Speaker 2: I guess if one of them was you know, bearing somebody in the pool or having affair with their gardener. Maybe I wouldn't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, you wouldn't know them. How well do we really know him? Yeah? Did you say I got chills hearing that line? Yeah, because I do remember obviously that was yeah. Yeah, but the power of the power of that line, because that's what so many people sort of latched onto about the show, right, Like that was relatable for people. It was it's this thing, we have this fascination with who do we live right next to? You know, they're right there, and yet what what do we know about? You know? And it's just it was succinct and it was powerful and I got full body chills.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, So should we start at the top, like, yeah, I mean well, I had a question just before we even dive into what happened in this episode. Yeah, how long for the two of you, Andrew and my mom and.
Speaker 2: My mom's mom and also.
Speaker 1: Terry and also Terry Erry, missus pat how long was it in between when you filmed the pilot and when you filmed the second episode? Because I feel like some people don't know how that always works. You didn't know you were going to get a second.
Speaker 3: Episode six inches for me? Wait what I The reason I say that is because I remember Mark Cherry telling me don't grow.
Speaker 2: And I was weird, like R.
Speaker 3: Now, I didn't even catch that, okay, So anyway.
Speaker 2: We got to get our minds out of the gun.
Speaker 3: He said, Yeah, he said don't grow and uh, and you know I didn't. I couldn't, right, I didn't follow that order.
Speaker 2: What I recall and usually how pilot season at the time. This again, things have changed in Hollywood at the time we shot the pilot, probably around March April ish of two thousand and four. They probably made the decision to put it on the air. They probably told us that around mid to the end of May. That was I feel like you and I went to Hawaii as a celebratory vacation for finding out that that that the show got picked up.
Speaker 1: I remember this. Yeah, this is before I was into the beach. All I wanted to do was play old maid and sit on a towel.
Speaker 2: And do you remember I got you that that woman helped you oil paint and you paint and that's still about all that that. Yeah. Yeah, anyways, so yes, we did do that, and then I don't. I think we probably started to shoot the full it was twenty two episodes or something, probably at the end of July or the beginning of August.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds about.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's just based on what the usual pattern is. That's not so it was that much time. But if you notice, things did change, like the billing changed bycocked.
Speaker 3: The billing changes also just because well one, I was very attached to my initial placement, well it stayed. It stayed for a while. I popped out of the sardine can my little name. And I really like that. Such good opening credits it really, I know, I really want to talk about the artwork of the opening credits and just like how that to be. Well, I think it's fascinating because you know, it's so unique, right, like it's I don't know who came up with it. I would love to know who came up with it. By depicting wives throughout history, starting with and Eve and then showcasing wives experience.
Speaker 2: And one that is yes, so cool.
Speaker 3: I mean you know that it's so so smart and so interesting, and you know, I mean it became iconic. I think by having all of that artworks start the show together.
Speaker 2: But but you know, I touched on that in our last podcast episode, that that this history of the housewife, you know, going back to that and what what has been expected of a housewife throughout the centuries, and and really, I don't know, I don't. I don't think this is good. But I find myself. I mean, I'm a single woman. I've always made the money. I've never had a man take care of me, even though I have been married twice. And is it twice? Yeah, I think I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: Think for like six months, yes, nineteen okay, yeah, okay, yeah, that's a loose Let those loose.
Speaker 2: That's not exactly because it's like one yeah. Anyway, But I still think that today. I still think today, even with all the advancements, I still feel like women are working and paying bills and also doing the laundry and also the grocery shopping, and also doing the homework, and also being on the pta and also trying to look good in their genes and all like it's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like you really exemplified this shooting Desperate Housewives because you were filming insane hours and with fifty to fifty custody, you know, I was with my dad fifty percent of the time, but when I was with you, you really stacked your filming days so you could be as present as possible with me. And you were still making like gingerbread carousels and party favors for every kid in my class's birthday, and then driving me to school, and maybe you couldn't pick me up from school, but you were ready to meet me at your I would come at you on set, or we would meet at home, and it was just it was really spectacular to watch how you made an extraordinary job that had such taxing physical requirements and time requirements really feel like you were going to an office and then you were coming home and your first priority was still being a mom.
Speaker 2: And it's thanks, Honny.
Speaker 1: Well, you were exemplifying this idea.
Speaker 2: Were my first priority, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you were I'm right in this, right. You were the only one out of the out of the cast, out of the main cast, that was a single mom, right, Yes, I was.
Speaker 2: The only one that was a single mom. Yeah. And and yeah, well we'll get there. Well, I'm sure that we don't get there. We don't have to have beautiful embas It was and it's it is something worth talking about in the future. And I think women who are single moms, but also I think if if you're not like I would have enjoyed having a little bit more empathy for for how difficult of a role that is. And I also think there's something to be said for looking at what divorce custody is like, only only in that you know the pressure that it puts on the time that you are with your child, because you know that there's other times that you will not be with your child. And I remember I had this. I used to always think like, well, I'll never see her on a Tuesday. And it was a weird yeah, kind of heavy. I mean it was a weird, but but you know, I only say it as an example to I like using this show as a way to continue to invite us all to be more empathetic with each other's lives, because you just never, like, you don't know what your neighbor is doing, you don't know what people are thinking, you don't know what they're going through, and it's probably not what you think it is.
Speaker 1: So so back to this episode, So, oh well, I mean exactly kind of what you're saying in terms of what we can see what we can't see. I was so struck by the very opening image. You know, we hear Mary Alice's voiceover and she's talking about what death allows us to see or not see. And I really felt like, I mean, and it would be interesting to ask if this was intended, and I feel like it was given the son Time lyrics, you know, Mark Cherry being such a fan of theater. To me, I immediately thought about Our Town and Emily's monologue. Now to be such a nerd right now, but Emily's monologue in Our Town, Yeah, when she has died and she gets to go back for a day in her life, and she says, look at everything that they're not seeing, you know, but all these moments of life, and this idea that when you die at least that's being explored right now in this episode, that you could potentially have this expanded vision, you know, of seeing into multiple lives and seeing you know, And I'm actually interested, what what do you all think happens when we die? You know? On this idea, I.
Speaker 2: Had a really interesting ayahuasca experience.
Speaker 1: That she's done it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've done it. I mean, I only did it I only did it once, and it was like six years ago. And again, I mean, they're good stories, but I don't I don't want to. I don't want to completely derail us. But you did ask this is why. So I'm not particularly religious. I mean, I I don't necessarily believe in that God the way organized religion does. But when I had this ayahuasca experience, I felt that I went to some place that I had been before, Like it was like a welcome back, like a homecoming, Like yes, okay, there was definitely a feeling that I was coming home like a welcome back. It was very it was very perfect energetic. It wasn't at all like technical people or anything. It was light, light and energy and felt almost mathematical or or just perfectly physics engineered, you know, flawless kind of and and so I was there and I remember thinking, wow, I really want to look around at this whole place, but I thought i'd throw up, so like I probably in real time, like I probably was sitting for like an hour, and I probably moved my head like like an inch to the left, but to me, it felt like, you know, I was like I don't know, yes, I was okay, Anyway, the feeling that I the message that I got was that you do go back to this before space, like that being alive, being a human is a miracle. It's a it's like winning the lottery. You get to taste, you get to smell, you get to love, you get to touch, you get to hear all the things that your energy can't do. But it's also really hard because we're taking this sort of flawless, flowing energy and we're cramming it into our bodies and brains, and so it doesn't like perfect. Yeah, it just doesn't work perfectly, and that's why we all struggle so much. But but you your gift is that you can do whatever you want with your life. This was the message I got. This was my takeaway. So you choose to be who you want to be in your life. That that was my afterlife.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: I mean I think that's pretty that's pretty beautiful.
Speaker 2: I liked it, which is why I haven't done Iaquatska again, because I like, that's for what do you go that that's my final answer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a good that's a good answer. I don't know. I mean, I think I'm still shaping mine I'm still formulating it. It changes, It's evolved a lot. For me, I would say, I am. I am a literal kind of person, you know, in a lot of ways. Not that I'm not a dreamer, not that I'm not you know, I I but I do think that the concept of of after life is always hard, right, when you want proof of something, it's the thing, right, It's like you just have to have this trust or you have to let your brain fill in what it could be and and and not grip it too closely. But I do believe in in you know, energy not dying, right, and like energy doesn't stop. And so I feel connected a sense of connection to things that have since passed in my life that I still feel a presence of. And I don't quite know in what form that takes, but you know, I believe in that, and I believe in being open to that and welcoming that in. And I did think it was oh, no, no good. I just I thought it was beautiful that this episode started with her sort of kind of wistfully saying like, oh, I'm gone, and I want them to see I want them to have the benefit of my perspective and makes sac Yeah, my sight. I want them to see what I can see. You know, I thought that was really.
Speaker 2: Also, just can we go back to Brenda Strong and just I mean, the voice of my is just flawless. You know that you know that she wasn't at the initial one cast? Did you know that?
Speaker 1: Wait? No, tell us this fun facts.
Speaker 2: Okay, so she initially it was Sheryl Lee. Is that who was from Twin Peaks? Yes, who was excellent? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And yeah we all saw the unaired pilot. Yeah yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I think I mean again, so this is conjecture because this is I'm not privy to what actually happened, So this is I don't really know for sure, but I think it's because possibly initially they felt like maybe there was going to be more of her on camera, like more like right, like a being precluded in the on screen like the Five of Us or whatever. And I think something must have happened to make Mark realize that more of the story was going to be told through the voiceover. I mean, Brenda still, of course appears in the show often, but most of her presence takes place through the voice and I think they just felt like the voice wasn't right and Brenda's voice certainly is right.
Speaker 1: She has such an amazing voice, and I not typically as a writer, I am sometimes shy away from being a fan of voiceover because I kind of think it's lazy storytelling. It's like, why you know, the show don't tell It feels like the exact opposite of that. However, there are certain times when voiceover works perfectly, and I think this is a really good example of when that voice carries us through these multiple lives and these multiple story lines and really feels earned.
Speaker 3: And it's because that you don't see her all the time, because if it's a voiceover, you know, I think about Sex and City and I think about Carry Bradshaw, right, and like they utilize her voiceover a lot, and I think, I mean, I'm a very big Sarah Diska Parker fan. I love her, and I mean she's so great. Yeah, and so she does that really really well. But I do think it's like you're in her head and then you're watching her, and that's a very different sort of raperience with Mary Alice. With Brenda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it works too, because the whole thing is part of figuring out the secret. So she is a very pertinent character, even though she's visibly not there very often, because the whole show is about what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and just a moment for how creepy that toy chest is. What is going on with that? I am terrified. And I know that you guys know what's going on, but you actually do not know. I'm scared.
Speaker 2: So Carlos finds almost find Gabrielle and bed with the Gardener.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, which I know we talked a lot about the last episode, Andrea. I know that you and I said we were going to pick this up.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm curious what you think of the age difference dynamic between John and Gabrielle.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is and I don't I'm not normally looking at my notes. I think you're just having an organic conversation, but I did write down verbatim. Wait hold up, wait, hold up, Pama, How old is this Gardner? John? Question mark? Question mark? Question mark? He has all capital homework question mark? He lives with his all capital again mom, question mark question mark.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he's too young to smoke.
Speaker 1: And young to smoke, too young to smoke, you know, arguably everyone too young.
Speaker 2: To smoke, but all I know is I definitely clocked from the beginning and had for the whole run of the whole show, Like, why is nobody calling this character out on the fact that I just slept with.
Speaker 3: The I'm curious if it comes up at all, does I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I don't remember if at some point, like maybe in a future episode someone from his family finds out or I don't know, maybe maybe it's never addressed in that way. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's giving very Stacy's mom, which I love, she's got it going on. But also it does feel like when I first when I watched the pilot, I assumed he was in college college kid who was back mowing the lawns. Well Stephiel was questionable.
Speaker 3: That was another recast and I do, yeah, so the original And this is interesting to me to touch on because the original actor, an actor named Kyle Searles, who I ended up having. Uh, we were at the same screen test, he and I, and so I felt like a camaraderie with him because I remember us both being there and we both had brought like multiple outfits to test in for our roles and whatever U and so I do sort of and again it's a little bit of conjecture because of course, I can you imagine if I'd been in these decisions strange, but I do kind of remember hearing through the grape vine that part of that decision was nothing, of course, to do with his performance. He was great, but he was a very like cherub faced kind of young looking man. He looked sweet and innocent and definitely looked young. I mean, he wasn't sixteen or whatever John is supposed to be, but he looked young. And I think when they did the pilot or when they reviewed or whatever, people were like, huh, we need him to not be so young, you know, like and so obviously Jesse metcalf being a lot more like you know, hunky, yeah, exactly. I think was an intentional choice to kind of go in that direction, and I do think it worked for the benefit of like loving Gabrielle and you know, trying to empathize with it, because other house housewives or other viewers of the audience were like, Oh my god, he's so hot, you know, yeah, versus like, oh, he looks really young. And there's a little bit.
Speaker 2: Maybe as I was a mom, like like in real life, I always kind of snagged as a person, not as an actress or being on the show, but just I think I snagged on it a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I snagged on it because I mean, the difference between our characters would have only been like Julie's fourteen or something and he's a couple of years older than.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I snagged on it when they were in the childhood bedroom and he had the homework line. I think up until that point I kind of felt like, Oh, he's a like one of those typical screen agers. This is actually a term I just I just love way. Okay, this is a really big shout out to my assistant.
Speaker 3: So like humble brag, you have an assistant.
Speaker 1: No, oh my god, she's the best. If she's listening to this, I love you. She's wonderful. And we were talking about a project that I'm writing right now, a feature I'm writing, and she used the term screenager to describe a teenager on screen. And I had not heard this term before, but it falls into the category of when you think about like gossip Girl or Glee. I did not look anything like the people in gossip Girl when I was a teenager. I write so much younger because I was so much younger because they were all in their twenties, but they're cast as teenagers on screen and it sort of lets them get away with things I think, like having sex, like drinking, like having an affair where we go with it until we're really confronted with dialogue that actually contradicts the fact that they're not in their twenties supposedly. But this idea of a screenager, I thought he was really.
Speaker 3: Because I'm listening to you, and I'm thinking, I'm internalizing this, thinking, Okay, I was a teenager on a TV show, and how did I look? And I think if somebody had given me an option to look as cool as the people on Gossip Girl, I would have picked that right, because I did not look cool.
Speaker 2: Julie, you look you look cool.
Speaker 3: And adorable, but I didn't look and you know, I didn't think I looked cool and anyway, but rewatching it, I actually really appreciate that I look like a like a real kid, you know, and I looked I was, yeah, and I have liked that.
Speaker 2: Looking back in the vein of like, I actually also look very real like and I remember, but you know I do not, Yes, you do.
Speaker 1: I know that's weird to say, but those low rise pants that God for the husband, Yeah, only you can wear those, And I wrote down that was another note. I wrote down, Susan is hot. That's my mom. That's is that weird, but she is pants.
Speaker 3: I made a note about how beautiful you look and like out and just being so struck by just your presence and like you're you're that thing of being like beautiful and hot and but also like so adorable and like and then I also wrote down Nicolat's outfits just like I wrote a little because I couldn't get over those, like like those whatever her workout ridiculous, but I was so fascinating.
Speaker 2: But I remember so my makeup artist, John John, we would always fight. I would want him to do less makeup, less makeup, less makeup, less makeup, and he would like, just let me make you look pretty, and I'm like, no, less makeup, less makeup, And it was really it was throughout the years, like he really wanted me to be more glamorous, and I really wanted to push the I'm gonna look like ship on purpose thing, and well you never look.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Also, Lynette had a very stressful episode episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah to be I want to hear your thoughts on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bet you do. And I was thinking about this because of you know, like mom guilt and also then just like the fear of being judged by you know, people, other people. This episode, it's a woman judging her, you know, and and harsh parenting or like you know, gentle parenting versus you know, this type of parenting. And I thought that was really interesting and I thought, you know, I wondered like would I do that? And I think obviously, in a in a I mean, no is the answer. But but not because I'm judging Lynette, but because I live in LA and I'm not going to love any of my you know, children on the side of the road here. But I think in a in a in a town like that, and you're just on a little side street and you're trying to you're you're desperate to you know, have them respect you and listen to you.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I can see getting pushed to that, to that breaking point and then being so hurt by someone or being so enraged by someone you know.
Speaker 2: Judging you.
Speaker 1: My mom did leave me intentionally or accident, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know intentionally why I mean, I don't consciously remember this. I guess I was like two or something, but apparently the way it's been told to me, I was acting up in the grocery store at two. I don't know, can you even.
Speaker 1: Can you.
Speaker 2: Acting up? Anyway? So yeah, I guess I didn't want to get in the car or something. I don't know. Maybe I was three, but like eight and young, yeah, really young, and she I guess she said, if you don't get in the car, I'm gonna leave you. And I didn't get in the car, and so she left. I guess she drove out of the the parking lot and maybe around the block and came back sort of similarly or whatever. I like, I said, I'm just a damaged human being. I don't actually remember this. I just but you know, when.
Speaker 3: I wonder if you did, like you might not, you know, consciously remember that experience, but I wonder if it me.
Speaker 2: And I feel like when she told me, she told me it was pride. I don't know, this is.
Speaker 1: Totally something that my grandma would say. And then I left you. You never did it again, and.
Speaker 2: Now you know why everything is wrong with me?
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: But I definitely felt a ton of you know, empathy for that character. I mean, I just you know that many children under six.
Speaker 3: Well made me think of my mom.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, that mom is amazing.
Speaker 3: My mom is the most incredible woman. Yeah, and she loves both of you so much. And Terry spent a lot of time with my mom over the years, and yeah, my mom is really incredible. I'm youngest of six kids. My mom had all six of us in nine years. Yeah, it's it's incredible. She parented us individually, which is incredible, Like she you know, recognized our our individual needs and would adapt the way she mothered us to you know, both my parents really amazing. But yeah, I mean when she said, you know I have, however many kids under this many, of course I have anger and said that. Man, I think I laughed out loud at that point.
Speaker 2: I thought that was great.
Speaker 3: I also was a really I just asked somebody who's researching car seats and like, the appropriate way to put a baby in, how you do all these things in preparation for my baby? I was like, that baby is in the front seat, her baby and her baby's car seat is in the front passenger seat, which I guess maybe was you know, considered safe at the time, but now obviously those I feel like safety regulations have seen just.
Speaker 1: Like a year before the car seat safety regulations changed, I feel like I saw.
Speaker 3: That so something that didn't age well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yes, Penny in the front seat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but anyway, I remember I was that was just something that stood out to me and I was like, oh, what what is that baby doing as a pastor?
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of my favorite parts was the marriage counseling scene. Yeah, Rex with three and Rex, I mean we I jet, well I did you guys. I just love it. I again, I'm just gonna say, Marsha, you're desperately to vote. I just I cannot get over. I just I don't know, like getting behind like the actor's eye of it, you know, like sometimes I think when you're an actor, you imagine playing a part. You know, you look at something and you just go, I wonder, how would I have done that? I mean, you can't help but do it. And I don't know, like, man, she was just it's just some combination of exactly how she looked and exactly how she moved and exactly what she sounded like.
Speaker 3: It's just so good, it's so good, and that monologue she has about Freud and well, when he brings with the therapy, you.
Speaker 2: Knows that she's a psychologist. Yeah, so I wondered if how much.
Speaker 3: Right like when he when the therapist brings it up, and she has that reaction like, oh, you know, basically saying, you know, I just don't know how I feel about about that whole thing. Because and then she goes into her inner dialogue and she she has this incredibly vulnerable, intimate moment but in front of a therapist. Right, so that setup is already so interesting, but she plays it so well, and the crux of it is like I'm invisible, I feel invisible, and no one thinks me, and that would go so far, you know. Does he ever think about the fact that I do all of these things? Is that ever acknowledged? You know? And I think that not only is that just brilliant writing and really philosophically interesting, but I also think that had to have been so relatable to so many people watching the show. I completely so many wives and mothers and people in general watching that must have felt that moment and felt you know, wow.
Speaker 2: Because even not in that exact kind of relationship position, just the feeling that so many of us feel missed, we feel unseen, we feel unheard, we feel unrecognized for who we authentically are. Like I think that is it's a very relatable pain.
Speaker 1: This is exactly I was going to say. A major theme of the episode that really stuck with me after watching it was this idea of loneliness and of all the different ways that were lonely. You know, you see Gabby be lonely in her marriage, even when she showered in gifts. You see Lynette be lonely when no one is listening to her and her kids aren't seeing her, and on her and her partner's on a business trip. You know, you see Susan feel lonely even when she's sitting across from the person that she's finally gotten closer to, because now another woman is there and that presence feels different. And I just I feel like Breeze character really brings that up in such an interesting way. And then all the ways that the various characters respond in the face of that loneliness. You know, what do we do we leave our kids on the side of the road, do we raise our voices, do we have an affair, do we have an affair, do we, you know.
Speaker 2: Pull out our sewing kit and madly sew anything that we can.
Speaker 1: See exactly to exactly And what are all the ways that we seek control?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm really interested as someone who's watching the show for the first time, I'm really interested in Breeze character and what that backstory is on why she feels the need to have so much control or is it control or is it just trying to be seen well by being a perfection?
Speaker 2: He says, I miss the girl. Where's the girl that I fell in love with that drank milk out of the milk carton?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I forget the other example, but.
Speaker 1: It's such a care free woman that we don't see.
Speaker 2: I actually found myself going, yeah, where is that person?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: I actually can't interesting? Like I love what she's doing as an actress, and I love the way the character is written on the page. But I am a little mystified with the I guess this dichotomy the right word or the juxtaposition of like it's hard for me to imagine ever drinking milk out of a milk carton? Right, what's hard for me to imagine what happened to make her not be that person, so that will be I don't remember if that if we really ever get that answer. I wonder if if she as an actress, had to answer that for herself. I mean, I'm sure that she did. She's a talented person, so I'm sure she had figured that out. But I found myself being like, those don't add up to me.
Speaker 1: I had that same question. I actually literally wrote down trauma question mark. It seems like some huge traumatic event that I would love as a storyteller to hopefully, I mean, I don't know where it's going, but to maybe understand like where did the split occur and why and.
Speaker 3: What is the impetus for why she feels this need to be perfect all the time and you know, pristine all the time and presentational that the you know, yeah, I mean the facade she puts up and the inner life she's clearly having is fascinating. And I don't remember either. I'm so excited to watch episode.
Speaker 1: It is and there's so much to say about this as women.
Speaker 2: And if you asked me, or somebody asked me if I watched it in real time, I did. And I think one of the reasons I did watch it is because I always used to say this that like it was like being in a show that I wasn't in, because there were you know, you would obviously you would read the script at the beginning, so you would know everything that was happening. But I wasn't there when they were shooting that marriage scene or the get the car scene, or the pullover on the side of the road, saying I never saw anyone do any of that work, just like they didn't see me do my work. And we did always have these poker scenes where the characters would kind of end up together, but often there was a lot of it happening separate storylines, and so it was like a big giant surprise treat to get to watch what these fellow actors were doing when you weren't there, and they're all so good that it was like watching a show that you weren't in. Okay, so I also got I thought, so Gabby's reaction to the car Emerson knows this about me. I have always had a fantasy of someone surprising me with a car with a big bow on it in the driveway.
Speaker 1: And I think I inherited that.
Speaker 2: I want you to do that for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now I feel like I'm somehow responsible to get you both the car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so where's our car? Andrew the podcast My car you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that never. I I really always wanted that, And I mean, I think it goes bigger into understanding, like, well, we talked about it a little bit like gifts is gifts gifts a way that you show love or and I know it's not like the way, and it's not even necessarily like a good way. It's but I don't know. I think in my imagination, I just always thought that i'd be very special or valuable or something if somebody did that for me. So I guess even though within the Carlos and Gabby relationship, I think it's bad. I mean I think it's I think I think clearly something's wrong with their relationship. That that's what made her so happy, you know, And but even you can see she actually preferred the roads Rose Yeah. Yeah, but I I guess I guess I related to it.
Speaker 1: I mean, there is that whimsical fantasy of yeah, I get that, of.
Speaker 3: Walking out the front door and yeah.
Speaker 1: It's funny you bring up Carlos and Gabby's relationship because I also was struck. I mean, of course they have a very imperfect marriage that you know, we've talked about the last time when we walked the pilot, but I felt in this episode and I was curious what you thought. Carlos was very problematic to me, the way that he behaved and the portrayal of an acceptable marriage, And I was wondering how his marriage with Gabby sat today, because there were some places in this episode where he was actually like a bit physically forceful and violent and kind of grabbed her wrist and felt very intimidating in a way that I, you know, I certainly hope we never are putting up with, but I feel like, especially right now, felt a bit shocking. I thought, oh my god, that's fine.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what's so amazing about the show that in its time they were willing to do that. They were because that is scary, and I'm sure that there were people even at the time that watched it that were like, that's that's that's not cool.
Speaker 3: Something more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the flip side of that is in terms of the daringness and sort of the edge of the show. And by the way, you got to remember, this is on ABC at nine o'clock on Sundays, which, again, as I said in the last episode, you know I think was the definitive place to put it. Yeah, but it wasn't on HBO, it wasn't on a streaming network because they didn't exist yet. You know, it wasn't in the places where you're more likely to see a relationship like that. So to put that on ABC, that was a big deal. But the flip side of that is seeing the gardener's naked ass. Yeah, outside that reveal.
Speaker 3: Him going like, oh, you know, did John come today? And he's all heated, and then he's like hey, mister Solis and he's trimming the hedges and then they do you pan out the window and you just see his little I mean.
Speaker 2: That is You're right, like, oh, it's really it was, Yeah, it really did.
Speaker 3: And the rose thing that scene, Okay, So I just because we were talking about when when you and Gabrielle come in the house and I guess you were maybe shopping or something and you come in and at the very end of the scene you mentioned the rose, which is why I'm thinking of the scene because you say like, oh, that's such a beautiful rose, and she has to think quickly, like because you say like where'd you get it or something, and she has to think on her toes to hate so much, right, yeah, yeah, and so but you have that line because of course we have to talk about the dinner scene, which I'm you know we'll get to, but the dinner date scene. Yeah, but you have that line of figuring out how you're going to time out your arrival with Edie's arrival, and you say, well, what do you say? I wrote it down because I have to get it perfect, because it was just such a great line, which was Edie will get there at five forty five, which means her breasts will be there at five thirty, so I should get there at five. The line and the delivery of that line, bravo. That was so good. I thought that was so so funny, and it was just like such a standout moment in the eye told to.
Speaker 2: Me every time you know, you bring up this specificity of like these lines or the I mean, it's the complimentary weaving of character development with mystery revelations.
Speaker 1: It's really special.
Speaker 2: I mean, you just have to keep tipping your hat to Mark Cherry not only for that, but for basically bringing back and the word housewives into the zeitgeist to the point where lots of other people made a ton of money. Yeah, off of the word housewives, you know, and that was all him.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are This is funny, and I bet that I'm sure this happens to you. You know, when when people will reference like if somebody if I'm out and someone recognizes me or whatever, and someone says, oh, well she is you know, she was on Desperate Housewives, sometimes this happens where someone assumes that's part of the Real Housewives friendship.
Speaker 1: I have had the same thing happening.
Speaker 3: They don't even know, you know, if it's a younger person, they don't know what desert houses. They're like, oh my god, and they're like what your what reality show? And I'm like, oh no, no, no, very different things. But I always think it's hysterical because I am a big Bravo fan. But I was also I'm always like, okay, that's crazy to picture me on any of those shows. But yeah, yeah, but there are people out there who probably think you are on one of those shows and not.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you would not have enough drama to be on one of their shows. Although Desperate Housewives does have enough.
Speaker 2: Drama, Desperate Housewives just have enough drama. No, I, I I'm not sure. I don't think they ever actually asked me. I feel I would. I mean, it's I but I there was one moment where we talked for a second and I and I said, I I nothing nothing. All I do is clean cat litter boxes and and and like, you know, take out the garbage. Like there's a I don't do any of this fancy ship that these people do, Like I wear sweats all day and I clean litter boxes. That's my exciting life. Now needs to film that.
Speaker 3: But then that makes me think of you know, you in advance of your date with Mike when you go out in your robe, Yeah you can, Yeah, And you're like, oh, I don't want to see him before I'm supposed to be ready to see him. And I thought that was so cute.
Speaker 2: I have more on Mike, do you well?
Speaker 1: I gonna I had more on trash? Okay, oh yeah, because I know and maybe maybe we can make this a thing. The Most Savage Line Award goes to again classic Missus Hooper.
Speaker 3: Edie.
Speaker 1: Maybe trash, but she's still a human being.
Speaker 3: Christine Nestbrook and she's another theater person's friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like she was in Spring Awakening your show. Yeah, but anyway, yeah, you're right. I mean that line is.
Speaker 1: Like delivered so well. And as you mentioned, Andrew, they're they're friendship with each other. And again it is her Missus Hooper's p assistance to be a nosy neighbor when she when Edie doesn't even care about finding the measuring cup, and then she is the one who keeps it. And then when she runs into you and she finds the new measuring cup and oh my god, I was like, Susan is such a little gas Later in this moment when you ask her where the measuring cup is before she buys a new one, I don't know, I'm.
Speaker 2: But this scene, this is where I caught a mistake. At least I think I bought a mistake. Which this scene with the with the where you are with Missus Hooper and she finds, yes, a measuring cup in your bag. So she comes over and she says, I want to get the clothes from from Susan, right, And you say, oh, she's not here. She's with Missus van DeCamp and I was not. We were with Gabby. I was shopping.
Speaker 3: You were shopping.
Speaker 2: I was shopping. And then I had to wonder, like, did I lie to you and say I was gonna go make muffins? But instead I bought my one little bag of whatever the hell bag your date that I think maybe you did, and my little very little fancy it's like an edible g strings in my little bag.
Speaker 1: That is way too risky for Susan. Wait, okay, but we do have to talk about the date because that is kind of the crowning jewel.
Speaker 2: Well, and plus this is what's sitting in front of it.
Speaker 1: Plus wait one second, okay, look at what I have. This is the purse that you carry over to Mike's house during the date. Which have that because of my mind, I'm herself.
Speaker 2: Department was lacking.
Speaker 3: It was happening behind the seas bringing in her own.
Speaker 1: Clothes, and I just inherited this purse as you over the year as well, aftersper housewives were cleaning out your closet. I actually went and I went to take it here. I opened it up and I was like, oh, I actually used her, and I was like, God, I wish my mother's my little my little tiny Uh god, no, it's I mean, well, sometimes I like to take my notes when I'm working on a project.
Speaker 3: A poly pocket. Why don't you have a regular size.
Speaker 1: Because it doesn't fit in this purse. I have different size notebooks for different for different verses, and I always carry around in every purse a pen and a notebook, and that's how I know it's a person I'm actually using. So I I'm very glad I didn't throw it out, and I'm very glad that you have it.
Speaker 2: And I was very glad to see it on screen because I was like, that's my purse. But I have no recollection as to why. So I can buy that I wore the little penny heart Saint Christopher necklace. I can buy that there was some part of me that may have wanted some touchstone of reality or something. I don't know. I can buy that the purse. I just feel like I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I don't one of the first.
Speaker 2: Why I would have brought that or how that happened. Yeah, that would maybe we'll have to get somebody from the wardrobe.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe you had like condoms or something in there. I know, I just in case the datement really want?
Speaker 2: Is it the second podcast episode and I'm already talking about how long it's been since I.
Speaker 1: You said that. I did not. I said nothing about that. I was talking about Susan literally.
Speaker 3: Susan line in the first episode, right.
Speaker 1: I think that's your line, So I did.
Speaker 2: Really, you were talking about my jeans, which I cannot believe. I can't. First of all, I can't believe you think that that's hot. And also we're not the only one everybody thinks.
Speaker 1: Do you see fashion today? Everyone wants to be able to wear those greens serious.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't wear them anymore, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: But I could.
Speaker 2: But I certainly that green skirt that I wore over to the MIC date, and I don't think that was mine. I think that actually came from a wardrobe.
Speaker 3: So I did.
Speaker 2: I did like that. No, So the the cake, So every episode we're bringing food from uh the show, and this is a little bit more obscure. So the macaroni cheese was very obvious.
Speaker 3: About the cakes. So the cake is it's being beautiful if you.
Speaker 2: Go into the date scenes. So there in Mike's house and everyone is around the table eating and there are a couple of angles where you can see back into the kitchen and in the kitchen out is slices of a white cake with strawberries. Wow, and nobody ever eats it.
Speaker 1: Isn't that what Susan says, I'm gonna go get the cake when she sees the gravy and puts it on herself.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And so that's where you see the cake. Nobody ever eats it, but it's there in the shot. And I was and I thought, you know what I'm gonna make. I'm going to make a cake. So this is I have become Instagram friends with a woman. She has an app called Passion for Baking, Okay, and this is you guys were talking about ASMR. She has this voice and she just like whips the stuff up and she talks about how you take your Also, I guess I didn't realize it, but I do. So I dm'ed her like you know, I'm a Fanda da da. So we've kind of over the last little bit of time, I've been sort of going back and forth, and so I finally downloaded her app and I thought, you know what, I'm going to try to make one of her cakes. So because I cook a lot, Yeah, you do. But baking is I mean, I'm a good baker. I've gone on some of those baking shows and I've won and I've done you know whatever.
Speaker 1: But I don't love it good.
Speaker 2: I don't think I love it anymore. Baking, yeah, Okay, for some reason, I just don't love it anyways. This is a three layers of a white sponge cake. Within the middle of it is a Greek yogurt cream roasted strawberry moose with fresh strawberries, and then that is sort of a vanilla marshmallow icing.
Speaker 1: Oh my goshunds like something that Bree would actually make.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I think maybe one thing people will get out of this podcast is that I should never have played Bree because nobody could play it better than Marsha. But the cooking part of it, yes, is definitely me. It was definitely me. I actually remember Marcia always wanted me to teach her to make my roast chicken, which remember how I used to make really perfect roast chicken and I never did that. Like, just talk quickly about the the dating scene, because one thing for me of where it resolves, I did not realize that Mike had a dead wife. I'd forgotten that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that piece of information was dropped as early as the second episode, right, and that that.
Speaker 3: Informs the development of your relationship or your willingness to like go after him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I remembered that he had an like a dead wife widow. I don't know, but I didn't remember because at first, I will say, I thought his reaction was so weird. It was so abrupt, how kind of snippy he was with you when you were like, oh, can I do anything? And He's like no, And I was like, Mike, whoa dude. But then obviously it paid off in the next scene when he explains you know what happened, and he kind of takes ownership ownership of it and apologizes for it and brings you guys closer and all that. But I I thought the dynamic of that scene was so funny. And you obviously, you know, wiping that gravy behind her ear. It's and you look so proud when you come out of the kitchen, like, oh, look at me with my cute little idea and nobody knows that fires so quickly. Look look at Bongo likes me. It's so funny. It's just so funny, but I did think, just kind of in a broader way, like, uh, okay, you had initially planned on using Julia as like a decoy, and then you were going to say, okay, you have something else here. You come down with something right, like Julie's sick, so she can't make it, and then Edie crashes the date, and so then I end up coming. And I was just thinking about like dates gone wrong, and I want to to know if you or you have had a hilarious or not so hilarious date gone wrong story you feel like sharing.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Okay, think about that. Yay, oh wow, Okay, I'm now I'm completely put on the spot. I thought that she was going to have an answer about about a date gone wrong. Okay, I do not have. This is it never made its way all the way to a date. Okay, but this is actually a good story and it's the closest thing I have to a date gone wrong. Okay. So this is maybe a year and a half ago. I had just gotten out of a relationship and I was single, and I downloaded Hinge for the first time. I wow, I know I'd never had a dating app Ever, I just I don't know. I didn't have one in college. I didn't have an after college. And I said, you know what, I want to actually maximize and enjoy being single, and I have this dating app, and honestly, lesbian hinge in Los Angeles is like, you know every it's the same seven people that really yeah, you all go to the same coffee shop on the East Side and you're like, oh, I recognize everybody here. So there's kind of a feeling of like, oh, this is not just yeah, it's not just random strange. But I still I was cautious. I was like, I'm not going to give my number just out to anybody. And one person I matched with I knew, I didn't know personally, but we had a mutual friend who I trust and like, and it was one of the things I said to her. I messaged her and I was like, oh, hey, I see that we both know so and so, and we very quickly said she asked, oh, what's her number, I'll text you, we'll figure out a time to go out. And I gave her my number and I was like, well, that's the only person that I would give my number two because that's that. And about a day later, I get a text that says guess who, and I was like, Okay, I hope this isn't the beginning of like a horror movie. But I I'm like, oh god, I'm so nervous that I'm gonna guess wrong. But I kind of was like, I'm not gonna guess wrong because I only give my number to one person, and so I guess I say is your name? And the person writes back something like nailed it. And we kind of have this like flirty exchange where we're kind of joking about the fact that I'm not actually texting the person that I think I'm texting, and I'm like, oh my god, she's so funny.
Speaker 2: She's so witty.
Speaker 1: We're committing to the bit. She's like, oh, is this so and so from Farmers Only or Christian Mingle? And I'm like, oh my god, and like she's hilarious. We have such good banter. I say, obviously it's from Farmers Only, and she's like, well, you know, I'm out of town for a little bit. We set up a time to go on a date and she's like, you know, I hope that farmer so and so, you know, ends up smelling bad. And I'm like, oh haha, I'm very forgiving, like I'm sure I'll give her another chance. And then I go on to tell quite a few people like, oh my god, I'm having such a fun, flirty texting exchange with this person. I'm really excited to go on a date with her. And then later that night I get a text that's like, hey, it's so and so. Here's my number, and it's from a different number number, and it's not the number I've been texting, and I realized I had given my number out to one other person on hinge because we were both from l A and we'd connected over it.
Speaker 3: You did have.
Speaker 1: I did have legitimate flirty banter with someone else, but I I mean, we matched, but it was someone that I wasn't really thinking. I feel like I already knew. And I did end up going on a date with the the person I thought that I was texting, and I have to say it was a little I was like, oh god, this was not who I thought I had. All this witty, lovely but it was. And then I never ended up seeing the other person because by the time that she got back in town, I'd gone on a date with my now girlfriend, and then we just never worked exactly and you haul, but that was as close as I have to almost.
Speaker 2: For me, I'd have to date to have bad day stories and years and years and years. Okay, so I'll let you know if he us posted you guys. I think that was another fabulous art episode and our I loved episode two the show, and I loved episode two of I love getting to see you guys, and I would say let them eat cake. So yeah, I hope, as always said, everybody enjoyed this. And if you want to reach out to us, we definitely want to hear what you have to say. We want to answer your questions about behind the scenes or anything else you think you might need to know about life or relationships. And we're going to do that because we're desperately
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us.