Speaker 1: M On May nineteenth, nineteen seventy five, a money owner salesman named Harold Frank was leaving a Cleveland, Ohio convenience store when two men demanded his briefcase. When he resisted, they clubbed him in the head with a pipe, threw acid in his face, and fatally shot him twice in the chest. The store's co owner, Anne Robinson, saw the whole thing go down, and she suffered a bullet wound before the men sped off in a green car with four hundred twenty five dollars. Then a busload of school children were dropped off on the corner, and one local boy, Eddie Vernon, ragged to his friends that he had seen the murder and knew who did it, his neighbors Ricky Jackson and the Brethren brothers Wileye and Ronnie. The three young men were arrested and young Eddie Vernon identified them. At each one of their trials, all three jurys found Eddie Vernon more credible than the wounded store owner Anne Robinson. But this is wrongful conviction. Welcome back to wrongful conviction. This case is it's like a it's like a glaring example of everything that can go wrong and that does go wrong in our criminal legal system. But before I get off on a tangent here, because this case makes me so angry, I'm going to introduce our guests we have with us today. The man himself, Kwame a Jammu, formerly known as Ronnie Bridgeman. Kwame served decades in prison for a crime he had nothing to do with, but he's here today, standing strong. Kwame. We're very honored to have you here on the show today.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 1: And with him, there is a man named Terry Gilbert. Terry is a renowned criminal defense and civil rights attorney as well as a community activist, and importantly he's a death penalty abolitionist. And I am absolutely thrilled and honored to have you here as well. Terry, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jason, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Kwame, I'm going to start with you. You were born Ronnie Bridgeman and grew up with your brother Wiley, as well as your childhood friend and later co defendant, Ricky Jackson, who's been on the show before. We'll have his episode linked in the buyout. But anyway, I've invited you here to give your own unique side of this story. Let's go back to the beginning. You all grew up on the same block, same street, right we did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, three holes is apart.
Speaker 1: In Kuyahoga County, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kyhoga County.
Speaker 1: And people that listen to the show have heard so many cases from Kuyahoga County because it's arguably the epicenter of the whole wrongful conviction world, which is there's a lot of competition for that awful distinction. But tell us about Kyahoga County. Where is it? What's it like?
Speaker 3: So? Kuyahoga County is more effects known as Cleveland, Ohio, and that is the city within the jurishdiction of Cuyahoga County. Cleveland, Ohio is a cesspool, if you will. We have three different sides to it. All of those sides are policed very heavily, as Kerry will let you know in a few when you talk. But I was born in nineteen fifty seven, so my youth in Cleveland was through two riots, sixty seven and sixty eight riots, all infused by the poor, the disadvantaged, redlined people, people who had been segregated for so long it just was tired of being poor.
Speaker 4: The situation on the streets of Cleveland and the black community were horrific in the sixties and the seventies as it was across the country, and assassination of Martin Luther King, Robbie Kennedy, they're so called riots that were happening in that context. There was a war against the black community. And we had a mayor in the city of Cleveland, the first African American mayor in the country of a major city, named Carl Stokes, who was elected during this period. And the police unions were not very happy about a black mayor who was attempting to come up with some reforms that would deal with the issues that were happening at the time in the black community.
Speaker 2: But those reforms never.
Speaker 4: Took hold because of the resistance of the establishment, the police union, the political climate.
Speaker 3: The Cleveland police force was indeed a faction to deal with it that particular time. They were beyond corrupt, and as history will show, they're still corrupt to this day. And so I come up in that, you know, I come up in the apthampa that actually because I was seventeen years old in nineteen seventy five, when all of this happened to me.
Speaker 1: So you're still really a kid, You're a teenager, and I'm sure where you had dreams and aspirations like every other seventeen year old kid in the country. And I know Ricky Jackson and your brother Wiley had already both been through the military at this point. So what were your plans for the future.
Speaker 3: I tell people all the time that I wanted to be a cop. Wow, I had big aspirations and how do you say, ideologies of how police worked, And it was either going to be a cop or a fireman. And in the end, in nineteen seventy five, on that terrible day May nineteenth, nineteen seventy five, and mister Harold Franks entered our neighborhood there in fair Hill and Cedar and lost both his liberty in his life. And I became one of the suspects, and then one of the accused, and then one who was sentencing convicted to die at just seventeen years old, I had no understanding of how these people who I supported as a child growing up and who I wanted to emulate could do such a thing to me.
Speaker 1: And this particular crime fifty nine year old white guy of Harold Franks, who was a money oral salesman, and when he left the neighborhood grocery store on Fairhill Road, he was confronted by two men demanding his briefcase. That's two not three. When he resisted, they clubbed them in the head with a pipe and splashed acid in his face. One of the robbers then shot him twice in the chest and fired a shot through the glass front door of the store. Mister Franks obviously died, and fifty eight year old Anne Robinson, who was a coalner the store, was shot once in the neck but miraculously survived, and the two robbers fled with the briefcase. They got away with about four hundred and twenty five dollars. It's really sad when you think of that. So life is so cheap. In this case, four lives were so cheap. The two robbers they got into a green car parked down the street and escaped. Now I'm gonna ask a stupid question, quimet, did any of you guys have a green car?
Speaker 3: No, my brother did own a black and white plymous Slaberine. They did find that green car, somebody had it and everything in the yard all that nothing came of it.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like a very organized type of a crime, like maybe even a professional criminal who knew that this money order guy was going to be there through acid in his face. What would a seventeen year old kid who wants to be a copy doing with acid and I mean and a gun in this case, let us not forget this case wasn't a complicated one. They had the green car, they had suspects. They also had Missus Robinson, right, didn't Missus Robinson know you guys, yeah right? So here it is. She's just been shot and she's the only one who actually saw the perpetrators. And we know I would his identification is unreliable, but not when you know the people, right, right, So think about it. So why don't you fill the audience in on how these guys became the sole focus of these people who ultimately framed them for this crime.
Speaker 4: In addition to the climate that existed at the time. Specifically, what happened was a twelve year old boy named Eddie Vernon who was on a bus coming home from school at the time, and the shooting occurred. The bus was in some proximity to the store down about a block away, And when they got off the bus and they saw the commotion after the shooting, they started talking and one kid says, well, I bet you I know who did it, and he referred to the nicknames of Ricky, Kwa Man and Wileye. So that's stuck in this kid, Eddie Vernons mine at twelve years old. Maybe he should tell the cops who he thinks might have done this horror for crime.
Speaker 3: Eddie Vernon, I've known him since he was a small kid. My brother went to school one of his sisters, and we knew the family. Plus he was a paperboy in the neighborhood. Anyway, on that particular day, May nineteen, nineteen seventy five, myself and Ricky Jackson was just down the street at the other end of Bartot Street talking with a guy by the name of Lynn Garrett and his girlfriend, and we decided to walk around the corner to the store. Now, mind you, the store that we decided to go to is not the store in question of so, and the way to the store we stopped at, unbelievably, Edwar Vernon's house and his two sisters, Darlene and Susan, were sitting on the porch upstairs, and we began to you know, shoot the shit, talking to him, and a car pulls up. Inside the car, of course as their father, Eddie, hisself, and a young girl by the name of Rose Brown. So they opened the window and tell us that hey, it's a man up there at the store shot. So boogey boogey boogie. We wait for the girls to come down and we all go up to the store. Sure enough, mister Frankens laying on the ground dead. Cops was everywhere right, you know, asking people who had seen this, who had seen that that anybody's seen it unbeknown to any of us. Young aunt with Vernon, you know, raised his hand and said I did I did you know, to which they took him in immediately.
Speaker 1: At this point, they were only looking for two assailants, not three, so they took Edward down to the police station without his parents to get a statement that was more faithful to the crime scene. And remember, like Terry said, Edward's pardon, this just started off as I bet you I know who did it.
Speaker 4: They went and started feeding him more details of the crime, creating a narrative to the point when they pushed him to say, well, these are the guys that you saw commit this murder, which we know now is impossible because other people on the bus we interviewed to show that there was no way Eddie could have seen this from that position. So they take the kid in he's twelve years old, They scare him, they manipulate him to sign a statement, and about a few days later they brought him back and they wanted him to look at a lineup, and he's told the police, well, I don't really know who, if they did it or not, And one of the detectives got upset and started pounding his fist into a table and threatened Eddie that if he did not sign the document pointing to these young men, that they would arrest his parents. Of course, none of this was known back then.
Speaker 3: You know, later on we would find out that his mother had Ovarian Canton was dying, and so you know, you asked yourself, who would you choose, guys in the neighborhood or your mother, you know. So he came out of that interrogation room, and obviously he wanted to say what he thought was his mother from being put in the prison toward him, and so he went along with the details that had been written in.
Speaker 1: So May twenty fifth, nineteen seventy five. They've now heard what they wanted to hear, or they've forced Edward to say what they wanted to hear, and they're now ready to take this to the next level and go arrest kids who I believe they knew were innocent. They had the green car, they had suspects. Had they even wanted to do just a tiny bit of actual police work, they probably would have landed on the two guys who actually did this.
Speaker 4: The whole investigation took about a week. There were other suspects that were far more viable in terms of who did this crime, suspects that were older, I think even had a green car, and that had committed other similar crimes that was not disclosed to the defense console before the trial.
Speaker 3: There were at least six other men who had been simultaneously picked up, arrested, and put into Cuyahoga County jail.
Speaker 1: But they ignored these other viable avenues and took the easy route with a coerced twelve year old boy. And at that point they were only looking for two assailants, so their narrative only named Ricky and Wilie, but you Kwame were soon written into the story after the night that they scooped all three of you up again. This was May twenty fifth, nineteen seventy five. The three of you had been out that night together and Ricky was sleeping over at your house when the cops busted his door down, and when they didn't find Ricky, they dragged his parents out onto the front lawn with guns to their heads.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what happened at my house.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I was sound asleep and I felt something hitting my foot. I locked up, cops everywhere, guns pointed, But I didn't think about myself, my safety and none of that, because I knew that my mother was in the next room. And my mother all of my life had suffered from heart trouble, which is what she died from, a massive heart attacked in nineteen ninety. But I just voted past the cops and got into the room where my mother was at There was more cops and guns, and I let them have it. Man. I was saying everything to him, right, so the guy snatched me up. I'll never forget, you know, and he said, sorry, it's what you want to do with this one, you know this one, and he said take him on down. We'd figured out later they had arrested me for obstruction police. This and on the way downtown was when they realized that I was seventeen. So they had to divert going to the county and go over to juvenile. And it was only after that they wrote me into the story.
Speaker 1: So, as the summer of seventy five was coming to a close, You, Wiley, and Ricky were all tried separately. He went in front of Judge John Angelata and the chief prosecutor at that time, John T. Corrigan, had been in office since nineteen fifty six and also presided over the wrongful conviction of Tony Ipanovitch and god knows how many others. But the trial prosecutor was Dominic del Baso. So what did he present?
Speaker 4: Basically, what we had is the three guys lived in the neighborhood were young black men, no physical evidence, no evidence other than that this twelve year old boy testified and the jury believed him.
Speaker 1: It's really madness when you think about they were relying on obvious lives. I mean, the kid contradicted himself. Vernon originally told police he was on the bus coming home from school when he saw the attack. Then later on he testified that he had actually gotten off the bus already when he saw the attack. That's pretty hard to have both of those things be true. And then there was a sixteen year old neighborhood girl parents myth. She testified that she walked into the store just before the attack and saw two men, not boys, two men outside the store, and she went on to say that neither of the two men were any of you three guys. They were not Jackson, they were not the Bridgeman brothers. Also, several of Eddie Vernon's classmates testified that he was on the bus with them when they heard the gunshots, and that none of them were able to see the robbers. And the defense also presented witnesses who said that you Klaume were elsewhere at the time to crime with your brother and another friend, were wrapping up a basketball game. And then there was Anne Robinson back to her, so she testified she was shot in the neck by a bullet that went through the store's front door, but she was unable to entify the robbers even though she saw them, and even though she knew you guys.
Speaker 3: Well, she said, I know them boys backwards forwards running away because they would come and work for me and my husband in the store. She said, believe you me, I wanted to get the person responsible for killing mister Franks and shooting me in my neck. But it wasn't now, you know, And that that says a whole lot, because she could have been on that train, you know. Ultimately her husband started paying it to the Edward Vernon thing. But missus Robinson, the wife, heals fast to the fact that now and kids didn't do that.
Speaker 4: But it was the testimony of Eddie Vernon which carried the day. The jury obviously thought, well, why would this kid make it up? You know, And so that was the ticket to death row.
Speaker 3: So he would perfetuate this story not three but four times because Wiley my brother got a retrial and went back and they sunk him again and put him in the exact same sale death row that they had originally put him in.
Speaker 1: So now we go to September twenty seventh, nineteen seventy five, fatal day. Did you hold out any hope at this point you had seen a lot already, but did you have any did you think that they would still see through all of this nonsense.
Speaker 3: I gave up the ghosts. When the judge himself, he was instructing the jury. Now listen, because Edward burning up know how to spell certain words and can't differentiate east from west doesn't mean he's a liar. Doesn't mean that when he says that him and he pointed to me, is guilty, you see. So in my mind, he had already convinced that jury that I was fucking guilty, you know. So when they came in, now I'm looked up. They all looked down, you know. The women was holding their little skirt tails and you know how to do. And I say, okay, here we go, you know yeah, And when I came back to the reality of what was happening to me, I heard him say, until you are dead. That's all I fucking heard until you I did.
Speaker 1: This podcast is brought to you by Ohio Justice and Policy Center, a nonprofit law firm that seeks justice for people to directly impact it by Ohio's criminal legal system. OJPC provides free legal services to currently and formally incarcerated people. Through its Beyond Guilt Project, OJPC works to free, over punish people who have rehabilitated themselves. Ojpc's Second Chance clinics help individuals with criminal records remove barriers to employment and house it. Ojpc's Human Rights and Prison Project represents people who face denial of medical care. In its twenty five year history, OJPC has worked at the policy level and won numerous victories in Ohio, including ending juvenile life with that Parole and exempting seriously mentally ill people from the death penalty. To learn more about Ohio Justice and Policy Center and how you can support its mission, visit OHIOJPC dot org. That's Ohio JPC dot org, Ohio Justice and Policy Center. We don't write people off.
Speaker 3: So that morning, you know, the ride as they call it, they came in and got me and they give me a one nine fifty three, something that is embreded in me. I'll never forget. Once I actually got to death role, it became one sale all day, every day. They stripped me, oh man, storry, calling me girl, little sweetie, and all that, making me bend over and spreading my butt cheeks. All that stuff I never you know, know nothing about. But here's one that I'll never forget either. Jason, Before we go to my cell. We go to the end of the rings and I got introduced IACSI saw the chair this shot. They gonna be waiting on you. Boy, she gonna rade you good well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, the idea that your mom lost two of her babies that were kidnapped by the police and then planned to be executed by the state is as a type of pain that I don't think anybody who's not experienced they could ever even begin to imagine, and that that is just a tragedy on the tragedy. But and here you were on death row down the hall from your own brother, like you could. Were you guys able to see each other or just hear each other or how did that even work?
Speaker 3: You know, everybody's hollering, screaming, so we could do that. We passed notes and this that, but one hour out of the twenty four hours that we weren't in the sale, and that hour, of course you got to go take a shot and walk them down the range and you know, pass messages for guys. So we got, you know, that little time to see each other in passing on the rains like that as well as.
Speaker 1: Ricky and luckily, miraculously for you, Wiley, Ricky, and all the other guys on Ohio death throughout. A critically important nineteen seventy eight Supreme Court decision came along.
Speaker 3: Right, So, this was that famous Sondra Lockett case where she filed against the constitutionality of how everyone was sentenced that particular time, that if you got premeditated murder, you got sentenced to die. Every judge across the state was using the same application she filed, and she won, and that released everyone that had been previously sentenced to die.
Speaker 1: Right. This case challenged what factors could be considered by the judge of jury when weighing whether or not to impose the death penalty, and so what they found unconstitutional In Layman's terms, the state had the ability to list unl un limited reasons why the death penalty should be applied in your case, but there was a very small number of mitigating factors that were allowed to be presented by the defense.
Speaker 4: The US Supreme Court struck down the Ohio death penalty law as they did in other jurisdictions, and then there was a wave of new death penalty statues that came in where there was more attention to how a jury would consider the aggravated circumstances versus mitigating factors. So they got off of death row and went into general population.
Speaker 1: Right, So each of you were re sentenced to life sentences with the possibility for parole.
Speaker 3: That happened in August of seventy eight. But yeah, there was an exception there. An exception was my brother, because this was the time that he had went back for the new trial.
Speaker 1: Right, your brother was granted a new trial, reconvicted and sent back to death row, only to await the paperwork that would see him into general population with the same sentence as the rest of you a year or so later. And Edward Vernon, fifteen years old at the time, had testified for a fourth time at that new trial. But I understand that his resolve began to waver after that, as it had at the lineup before they threatened to put his sick mother in prison.
Speaker 3: As time went on, he would go and try to recanish stirring, always to the same cops, always to the same two cops that had him hooked up in that interrogation room in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was detectives Eugene Terpe and James Farmer.
Speaker 3: And of course, they would pat him on his back and soothe it over. And long came his life where he started getting into trouble and did a prison sentence itself. And I would imagine that's long about the time that he stopped, you know, trying to be helpful in the sense of, you know, telling the.
Speaker 1: Truth, which unfortunately kept that truth hidden for far too long. And in the meantime, you were all in general population now and eventually eligible for parole, so you built a solid record inside.
Speaker 3: I was very active in sports. I can really box. But one of the things that I did in Lucasville more than anything, was barber But I got out of Lucasville. I went to Lima Correction Institution in nineteen eighty four because Lima had transitioned from being the state hospital, so so half of the joint was still medicated. It was nothing. Therefore, it was no recreation. Most of all, it was no school. And so that's where I excelled. Had a few call hosts, its about nine of us actually, and we took that proposition to the administration, and the guy, his name is David Nell, demand that would become the principal of school, and that we opened the school, and I became administrative clerk and I did that until I was actually parolled from Richland Correction Institution in two thousand and three, which is very hard to do for somebody to come from death row doing a life sentence and then go through the just a mere fact that I arbitrated education in that school to so many men, thousands of men got at least at least a ged while I was running because I wouldn't let him not get it. But now, mind you, I had got a five year and then at ten year continuance, so it an't like I just walked to it. I was doing time, but I was also doing something constructive and that was educational.
Speaker 1: So even though this was parole and not exoneration, tell us about your newfound freedom in two thousand and three.
Speaker 3: Oh great, The very first day was like I was floating to make it even sweeter. You know. Months later I would meet the greatest thing that ever happened to me, which was my wife, Lashan Ajamul, you know, and I married her a year after I got out of prison.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. Now that you were out, you were on a mission to clear all of your names in free Wiley and Ricky from prison, and Wiley had actually been paroled the year before, but was soon sent back because of none other than Eddie Vernon.
Speaker 4: Wiley was at the City Mission while he was on parole and runs into Eddie, who was working there as a I guess a security guard. They exchanged some words, no threats or anything like that. He says, man, why don't you do something about it, you know, go to the authorities. And he says, ah, you know, I'm afraid they're going to prosecute me for perjury and all this stuff is Somehow that conversation got to the parole board and they looked at it as a guy on parole intimidating a witness from his crime, so they flopped him and sent him back until twenty fourteen when he was exonerated Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: So Eddie Vernon held on to his guilty secret for another eleven or twelve long years, right, and by now he reached out to Terry for help.
Speaker 3: I remember this talk. He said, we need to some kind of way put more light on the subject, you know, And he told me about this kid, twenty four year old kid named Kyle Swinson who wrote for the Cleveland Scene magazine. So when I met with this kid, I came back to tell my wife like, well, damn, I've been in jail on this cat been alive. But man, listen, Kyle went into that neighborhood, and to this day, I don't know how he retrieved the information that he did, but he came back to me talking about things that I'd never heard of, you know, like, for instance, the situation with Edward and his mother, and just on and on and on, you know. And so when about time we circle back around to Terry. You ever see the picture of the snowball coming down that hill, it just started getting bigger. And the next thing I know, my wife worked at a spot over here in the West Side, and one of the ladies worked there with her went to the same church with atwar Vernon, and so she told my wife, and my wife told me, and I reached out to the pastor. So he did what I guess anybody would do. Well, let me take into this and I'll get back to you, you know, And so I tell cow Man, no go, you know, So Kyle get on him. So now this is two people calling him, and this is making him like wow. In the meantime, edw Vernon had a nervous breakdown. He's in the hospital and so it's fast it goes to see him.
Speaker 4: I remember this scene at the hospital with the pastor and he said to Eddie, is there something that you want to tell me?
Speaker 2: You're in the hospital.
Speaker 4: You know, obviously we hope everything works out, but is there something on your mind?
Speaker 2: You want to get off your chest?
Speaker 4: And he then breaks down sobbing and basically admits that he had lied in the trial and he put three innocent men in prison. And you know, the Innocence Project was representing Ricky Jackson. They sent over somebody to get an affi David, which was the foundation for the motion for a new trial, which then took place in November of twenty fourteen. At the hearing before Judge mcmonagall, Eddie took the stand and was an incredible witness. The prosecutors tried to impeach him, cross examined him, and he deflected any challenge and there was a break in the hearing and the prosecutors came in and they said, Judge, we concede that he should get a new trial. And then in the same hearing they said they're dismissing the murdered indictments, right.
Speaker 1: I understand that the prosecutor in twenty fourteen, Timothy McGuinty, was not an unreasonable man.
Speaker 4: That was a different prosecutor than we have now. Now we have a prosecutor doesn't believe in wrongful incarceration. He doesn't believe that people should get compensation. But the one that we had back in twenty fourteen saw that there was no evidence that.
Speaker 2: They were the perpetrators.
Speaker 3: So Ricky actually called me that day that he got exonerate, the very moment my wife breaks that went bad on the truck. It's a friend of mine and I was changing the brakes and I'm up under the car and my phone rang, so, you know, put it on speaker and you have a collect call, you know. That's what they said. It's Ricky. So, so what's going on? Brother?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And he's almost incoherent, you know, because so he's so ecstatic, you know, And I said what he said? I said, I'm free.
Speaker 2: It's all over.
Speaker 3: You know, you break down and start crying. I said, what the fuck you say?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: He said, man, it's all over, God damn you heav me you know, and uh Man almost dock the damn car down.
Speaker 2: Ricky was on a Wednesday.
Speaker 4: We didn't want Wiley to spend even one day more than he had to, and we were able to get before the judge on Friday, and Wiley was exonerated. And I'll never forget when Wiley comes out of the jail doors into the lobby. These two guys, the moment that they hugged was one of the most emotional and ratifying moments of my life as a lawyer.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that moment is etched in your mind and your soul as well.
Speaker 3: Without a doubt.
Speaker 4: And so Ricky was exonerated, then two days Wiley, and then a month later we were able to get Klombe exonerated.
Speaker 3: But thinking about both my brother Wyley and Ricky Jackson haven't spent thirty nine years. These guys had lost so much time. When I got out of prison again parole, I had an eleven year run, no matter how fucked up it was, I still had an eleven year life without them, And to this day I feel kind of bad about that. You know, had I had a wife went through seven cars, right, so as a man, as a human being, as a person. I wasn't able to make that equal, and I always feel something there, you know.
Speaker 1: Kind of like a survivor's guilt, right. And so even though no amount of money could ever replace what you all lost, you were all at least finally eligible for state compensation. You also won your civil suits against the city and the estates of the detectives. But then life took a dire turn again. Your brother Wiley had lung cancer, and if that wasn't enough, another tragedy struck.
Speaker 3: He had accident, had an auto accident, and it called someone's life. He was already in bad shape in and out of the hospital. He actually had an oxygen tank in the car with him prior to his death. He would like have caughing spells and pass out. And so I believe that that's what happened to him on the night and questioned. He was driving his car late at night, rode by a construction site, end up hitting two guys, and rolled for another four miles before you a car come to a stop. One of the guys that he hit passed away. Oh god. And the very next year he was gone, Wow.
Speaker 1: That's so much, It's just too much, and I'm so sorry, and our condolences of course to the family of that construction worker as well. So I guess if there's a silver lining to this story, it's that you two were there for each other in prison and did have a number of years of freedom together before his passing. And during that time, all three of you guys, as well as your wife, Lashawn, have been quite active in a movement that is near and dear to my heart, which is death penalty abolition.
Speaker 3: My wife is a member of the OSSI, which is Ohio Wants to Stop Executions nineteen ninety seven, ninety eight. I think it was her brother was murdered, and so she is also a family Victim's member. She do a lot of advocating for the people having family members being murdered and how the system leaves them. And I am very active with their organization OSSI, as there is with my organization, Witness to Innocence. I'm the chairman of Witness to Innocence. All of our board, with the exception of the two volunteers, are death Road exaneries and we have been key in the twenty one states that have about us still stop using capital punishment in the United States and then there's also what we're doing here to stop the capital punishment in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 1: Let me just read you something here from the Death Penalty Information Center. This is a quote. In February twenty twenty one, a special report the Innocence Epidemic found that Kyahoga ranked second among US counties, tied with Philadelphia. We know how bad that is. That's me talking now. But back to the quote. For the most exonerations of death row prisoners who have been wrongfully convicted, all of those wrongful convictions involved police or prosecutorial misconduct or both. Brian Stevenson estimates at about ten percent of people on death thrower in acent and of course most of those people end up being executed. So it's fair to say that we execute innocent people in this country one out of every ten. Now I think it's higher. So my question is for anyone who still believes in the death penalty, are you okay with executing innocent people? That's what I'm going to leave our audience with is I continue to hope that Ohio soon joins the states who have seen the wrong of having the option of capital punishment. So that said, we're going to be linking in the bio to the organizations that you mentioned, Ohions to Stop Executions or Atziotse and of course Witness to Innocence. Another thing I want to shout out for listeners is Ricky's movie. This is a mind blowing piece of film. It's called Lovely Jackson. I can't stop thinking about it. It's amazing. So we're going to have that linked in the bio as well. And one last thing, Terry, I understand you wrote a book.
Speaker 4: The name of the book is Trying to Trying Times, a lawyer's fifty years struggle fighting for.
Speaker 2: Rights in a world of wrongs.
Speaker 4: It goes back to the late sixties, early seventies up until twenty twenty one. It's really about inspir wh wereing younger activists and lawyers to take up the fight for people's rights.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll be linking that in the bio as well and grabbing a copy myself. So now we've come to my favorite part of the show. Of course, it's called closing arguments, and this works very simply. First of all, I'm going to thank you guys Terry Gilbert and Kwameajamu for being here and courageously sharing your story. So here's how it works. I'm going to turn my microphone off for closing arguments, kick back in my chair, and just listen to anything else you guys want to share with me and our incredible audience. Terry, let's start with you, and then Kwame, I'll take us off into the sunset.
Speaker 4: The movement has grown against wrongful imprisonment. It's important for people to be aware that the system is flawed, that trials are not the end of justice, that things go wrong, and people need to understand the nature of the criminal system and fight for what is a better avenue to achieve justice.
Speaker 2: Also, I just.
Speaker 4: Want to make a note that I don't even know if kwameans this. I mean, this is the first public mention of it. But we are starting a wrongful conviction clinic at Cleveland State University Law School in the fall. The Ohio Innocence Project has done a great job and they're located in Cincinnati, and we need one in our community.
Speaker 3: I just want to say that with Terry Gilbert, the Innocence Project, and all of the many women who stand in force to protect those who are down trodden and who have been subjugated and arbitrarily and capriciously put in prison for absolutely no reason. I am one who will stand in every corner that the fight is going on, a gang's capital punishment, wrong for incarceration and the cohots which institute that policy. So I say to you, my brother, thank you so much, thank you for having us today, and I want to remind the country that we are survivors and that just like Terry Gilbert, I will be here tomorrow to Mark's.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Wrongful Conviction. I want to thank our production team Connor hall Any, Chelsea, Lyla Robinson, Jeff Clyburn and Kevin Warns. The music in this production was supplied by three time OSCAR nominated composer Jay Ralph. Be sure to follow us on Instagram at Wrongful Conviction, on Facebook at Wrongful Conviction podcast, and on Twitter at wrong Conviction, as well as at Lava for Good. On all three platforms, you can also follow me on Instagram at it's Jason Flamm. Wrongful Conviction is a production of Lava for Good Podcasts and association with Signal Company Number one