Speaker 1: Warning.
Speaker 2: Today's episode Canadian spoilers from Marvel's The Fantastic Four First Steps.
Speaker 3: Fun post four. I'm not gonna be able to stop. Guys killed it that way.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosie Night and welcome back to Text Revision, the podcast where we don gee be doing your favorite shows movies is currently some pop culture. We're coming you from my art podcast, where we're bringing you episodes every Tuesday and Thursday. Plus we're discussing the summer's biggest movies every Friday and on Saturday.
Speaker 1: It's on Saturday.
Speaker 5: In today's episode, we are calling in our very own Heralds of Galactus.
Speaker 3: They do a great job, wouldn't they?
Speaker 5: Joel and Aaron super producers to talk about Fantastic four First Steps. But we are gonna be doing a very fun Ryan Table. I can't wait to hear what the people are saying, because this one's gonna be a controversial one. And programming note for you listeners out there for our X ray Vision babes, we are recording this early because we were lucky to see the movie pre Comic Con. So if we do not address any kind of like giant Kevin fie G statements that we haven't heard, or staggering box office numbers in either direction. That is why we are getting this to you so you can have it and listen to it while the movie is out, because we are gonna be at San Diego basically from now till Sunday. So yeah, check in for us to be talking about that in our post SDCC roundup, when we will surely have more news about the success or lack of success of Fantastic four.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's start first. Let's welcome our roundtable participants. First of all, we have super producer Joel Joel, how are you?
Speaker 4: I am flum mixed. There is so much perfect, so much happening on my head around this movie. I really really can't wait to talk to you guys about it. I'm not a huge Fantastic forehead, so I went in with almost no expectations and I left more confused than ever.
Speaker 6: Uh oh, I own it.
Speaker 2: And then up next super producer Aaron Aaron, how are you well?
Speaker 7: I'm still singing the post credits song let Us Be Devoured. I love love that little acoustic number at the end during the credits.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, pretty low expectations going into this, but excited to hear how Joel feels.
Speaker 1: And then I'll get into a well, let's.
Speaker 6: Get into that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we know how Rosie and I feel your initial top level headline reactions to Fantastic four First Steps. Let's start with you, Joelle.
Speaker 4: Okay, my reaction. This is the craziest thing I've ever said. But y'all remember when we saw Turnles and we were like, Wow, the scale of this movie. It dwarfs me. I am in awe at the size of these cash. Yes, I can remember that Galactus, what happened? That's all you had to do was just be like, let's just bring up our little files and now Galactus, who is also one of these beings? If I'm not incorrect, I don't know what happened. And that is basically the for everything. That is how I feel about all of the things. Why did this happen? You used to be so good at like family dramas led by complicated men. Not here. Don't know why. I feel like we used to understand New York is a city. There were neighborhoods, and they had different feelings and vibes, and it was great not here. Not so when a glossal impact used to happen in a superhero movie, we visit like a monument on every continent, just so you knew that they knew what the world looked like. Not so here. They're like the whole world in danger, but mostly this little corner of New York. Why is this movie so small when you have such a large budget. What is going on? And what I really, truly, truly don't understand is how Marvel has forgotten to tell full, complete stories of characters. To get full Tony used to go on a journey of just Oh my god, even Black Panthers journey in Civil War alone is monumental. It's so huge. He's like the fifth most important character in that movie. I have no arc for any of these characters. Nothing changes, nothing happens to like things happen to them, but nothing happens inside of them. You're left so bereft by the end of this movie that being said, Oh my god, when they were surfing through that black hole, Wow, that's really cool. And black Hole was breathtaking. It was beautiful. They really put their like whole mojo into that. And I also did like a lot of the Galactys' final fight. It's the first time they emotionally connected. But the film isn't stylized enough to survive on emotional vibes, and it's not saying anything specific enough to justify how grounded it is in reality. I have no idea where we are or why to your guys's points earlier, it just feels safe, and I'm I'm disappointed.
Speaker 7: Aaron, So, I have no formal film training. I did not study film. I you know, like you all are so much more knowledgeable.
Speaker 3: When I didn't even go to college, Like I'm going to sell yourself.
Speaker 7: You're you're all so much more knowledgeable when it comes to the art of cinema.
Speaker 1: I loved this movie. I thought, yeah, let him go, let him go.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm so excited.
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna say this is like a great movie, and I'm not going to say it's necessarily the top five in MCU by any means.
Speaker 1: I had so much fun.
Speaker 7: I mean, maybe it's because my my expectations were so low, but I there are multiple times when watching Shala Balls like surfing through lava, surfing through a black hole, I was like, this is a fucking great showcase of Superpowers, Like, we haven't had a scene in a long time in any sort of comic book movie that hit me in the same way that like Nightcrawlers open in X two where it's just like, WHOA, what a unique way of doing that. And we've had multiple Silver Server iterations. But her surfing that like made me think she was on waves. I was just like, and he got me, I'm in it and yeah, And I mean, listening to all three of you, how much you dis liked it, how much Ian didn't like it, I was kind of surprised because I was really happy the whole time.
Speaker 5: I love this so much is making me very excited because I always want people to love a superhero movie.
Speaker 3: And honestly, guess what, you are basically.
Speaker 5: Talking about the Fantastic Four in the same way that we now talk about the movies that came out in the Zeros. They were fun, they showcased something different. They're actually kind of campy and great. So it makes me very happy that someone with zero interest in the Fantastic Four actually came out of this movie enjoying it. And I do think that you highlight some of the most interesting sequences, like the Charla bal stuff. Again, I thought that looked better than the trailer. I think even though the CG wasn't great, who doesn't want to see like a cool alien something through a lava? Like, I love that those big kind of epic moments worked for you. What did you think about like Galactus as someone who has zero knowledge of like that character, Like, did that all kind of make sense and work for you? Did it add to the kind of fun of the movie to have this like totally craziest, biggest stakes we've ever had kind of creature.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I when when he emerges for the first time with the voice and the eyes, it felt immense to me. Within the ship, the ship itself felt immense, and then it was like he appeared in space to talk to them, and like, is this hulking thing now? Granted, when he comes to Earth he feels much smaller. It feels like he lost a little juice there. But I understood too, Like you've got to have him like actively pursuing Franklin, holding Franklin, like so that we can have this moment of tension with like can we save him as he's pulling him? But that intro of him both both Silver Surfer and Galactus I thought were introd in such a powerful way, like we've all seen the clip. We'd all seen the clip of Shalli Baal already coming down, and like I herald your end, I herald his beginning. I held Galactus like that was a really powerful age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I thought she was incredible like it.
Speaker 7: I actually last night was like looking through her IMDb to be like, what other things can I watch her in that are not horror movies. She's like only an Ozark or horror movies. It feels like like, oh the Americans, Yeah, Americans, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I thought she was incredible.
Speaker 7: I loved her interplay with Johnny, and Galactys felt menacing to him, like I I hope he comes back in some way. Who knows if he ever really will. Like obviously, this is you know, another major Marvel villain that could just be a one off and who knows how long this universe exists. But I thought it was good and I actually really enjoyed. You know, we get what not a great movie to compare it to, but you know, like Love and Thunder, we have the god Butcher and we see Gore kill one god and that's really and like, yeah, galack, this only kills one planet, but it's a pretty cool set piece to watch.
Speaker 3: And we learned that he you know, he has been killed five.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad Karen's so controversial.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to hear this. I also think, you know what a death knell. Aaron likes your movie?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: At the edge of his seat, fucking blown away.
Speaker 3: Dude, When Aaron.
Speaker 5: Likes your movie, does that mean that your movie is gonna play.
Speaker 3: Less or play more? We gotta stop paying.
Speaker 2: But this is good because I do hope that people listen. I think you make a good point, which is, like, not everybody comes to a movie with this like intense like background in the lore and a deep relationship with the characters and just wants to Like I would argue that despite the fact that, like I have a deep relationship with many of the characters that have depicted in recent movies, that I too, just want to eat popcorn and see a good movie.
Speaker 6: That said, I.
Speaker 2: Hope that people share your perspective and that this movie is successful because I think I think we're better. I love these movies. I want them to continue, and so I hope people like the movie in the same way you did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say, just like because I didn't necessarily touch on this and not chat.
Speaker 3: It's like, I think the.
Speaker 5: Reason I struggled was like the first forty five minutes set a very high bar for me. I just was vibing with whatever that version was, which I guess was the stuff that felt a lot closer to one division. But like, at the same time, I also understood as a somebody who watches a lot of movies, I was like, how do you keep that momentum and that stylistic editing and that kind of notion going on when you broaden out of this TV setup? And in my opinion, they weren't able to do it. But that drop off for me was big, and they.
Speaker 4: Either should have or they should have just removed that, because that's what really killed the movie for me. It's like, it's not that those first few minutes are bad by any stretch of the imagine. I agree with you, They're really well done. They tell like a somewhat interesting you feel like you're getting immersed into the world in an interesting way, but it also feels so redundant to everything that happens after it that you're kind of like, why is this here? Like we've sort of set up like, oh, Ben's really beloved in his community, but he also has some trepidation about like how he looks, but then we never really get into that. It's always just kind of like some out of the corner looks. No one is ever afraid of Ben or has a weird reaction to him or anything like that, and it's fine if they don't want to go the monster route. But then I just think, like, why did we spend so much time showing that dichotomy at that He's like, I just moved back to the neighborhood. I thought it's because I feel safe and good here and outside of this space, maybe I don't, but we don't get into that before the shows start talking to Jason about how like frustrating it is, Like I love this iteration of Sue and I thought like her being a like un world leader with such a dope angle on the character, but they just tell us that and we don't get to see it, and I would have loved to have seen, like how do you get Moman to trust you? What is it about Sue's approach to this job that makes her like so different than everybody else. I think I would have loved to have seen read watching Sue at work, because you know, I feel like when you really love your bay and they're the best of their job, you're like, oh my god, that's my girl, like look at her. Like you get to see like the moments where you're like, oh, this is what connects them, This is what the binding tissue of these characters is. And they just keep telling us they're a family, joking a little bit, but you never get to experience them as a family. I think families yell at each other. I think the families are getting angry and walk away and we don't get that.
Speaker 1: I see. I disagree.
Speaker 7: I think that they connected as a family quite well. They have the family meal, which I think is a really nice scene them coming.
Speaker 1: They do this every week.
Speaker 7: But Sue and Reid, regardless of whether there's heated sexual chemistry, like like Clark and Lois, this is a lived in relationship. These are people who've been together for years. They've done this I meant space trip and concocted special powers from it. They've tried to have a child for years. They've abandoned that hope after they couldn't have a child. They're now at a point where they know what the other one is going to say. They fight, they argue, they yell at each other because they're not living up to what the other one what they want the other one to do, and then they still come together Like this is a This to me felt like a relationship that has lived in This is not like a fresh new thing.
Speaker 1: And I like that.
Speaker 4: I sort of agree with you, Eric, Like I sort of agree with like, this is an adult relationship. I don't need all relationships to be seen me. I do need the relationships I need to understand, like what it is that has bound these two to each other for life? Right? And I think that's what's missing for me, Like there is a level of like, oh I like you and you do good work that's not binding for life material I need your work has fundamentally allowed me to do my work, or like we've come up together through this really difficult thing, and like you're the only person I trust. You're the only person who understands me. Like if we had seen Read try to communicate his ideas to other people and constantly fail, but she gets it and she's the person then I understand, like, oh, these who are a strong couple and I get.
Speaker 3: It read translater. That's fun. I like that way Sue essentially is the one who gets his ideas. That's cute.
Speaker 4: Like he's so intelligent he can't communicate with other people. I just think there's a lot of different things they could have done, and it's it's small, ticky tac things. And that's why I think we're gonna have such like an interesting conversation here and why this might be like one of those teased out conversations like I could see twenty years downline and we like it's my favorite Marvel film, Like this really out for being weird and different for me.
Speaker 2: It's like every scene is about the scene, you know, and that is why it feels kind of flat to me. Then you know, read and read and see her together and he wants to check up on the baby, and that's what that scene is about. You know, they're having dinner, and it's about them having dinner. I was talking before we turn the MIC's on, like I was thinking about this moment from the first Avengers movie, right where Colson brings the Avengers iPad to Tony Stark and he's just turned you know, he's hooked up the Stark Arc reactor to the Avengers Tower and Colson comes in and it's clear that Pepper and Coulson know each other, and that throws Tony off. He's like, why are you calling him by this like nickname? And then he's you know, ostensibly that scene is about I want you to join the Avengers, I want you to manage this thing, but it's also about like the relationship of all these three characters and why do you know Colson?
Speaker 6: Like wait, where where do you know him from?
Speaker 2: And by the way, like, I'm going to give you a twelve percent of the credit for managing the Stark Tower, and Pepper's like the twelve percent, What the fuck.
Speaker 6: Is that about?
Speaker 2: Like I did this whole thing and like and so you kind of get why they're together, Like they're jousting on an intellectual level. On an emotional level, Tony's a little jealous. He's pretending he's not jealous, but he is, like, why do you know this fucking Shield agent? When did you meet this Shield agent? And there's none of that jealous Yeah, who's the Who's you feel like you walked into the middle of a conversation where there's all these other things that you don't necessarily get that makes it feel like a lived in full world, right, a full relationship. And I get what you're saying, arin like the things have died down, but still to me, part of the flatness of this movie, specifically around the relationships, is every scene is about the thing that is happening. She walks into Johnny's room and it's about Johnny decoding Schallibah's language. Ben goes to see Read and it's about the relationship between Ben and Reid and why Read won't open up to him. Johnny goes to see Read, and it's about the space suits. You know, it's there's no other okay thing that intersects with it to make you feel like, oh, I you know, you ever walk into somebody's house and like the mom is like yelling from the other room and the dad's talking about something, and somebody walks in and says, oh, this person called. You don't know who that person is. There's none of that like dangling threads that make you feel like it's a life And I felt like I was really missing that.
Speaker 5: I think that's a great point. Let me ask you, guys this, how much do you think that some of these issues, even you're from the outside hour and as someone did enjoy it and maybe doesn't see it as issues, how many of these choices. I felt like they really wanted this to not be like quippy Marvel, like you know.
Speaker 3: How everyone kind of complains about that.
Speaker 5: And I also wonder if like they went too far in the other direction where we don't get a lot of bantering scenes.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, we.
Speaker 5: Don't get a lot of the that kind of texture and in jokes and all those things that you know families do have. And I do think that part of that comes from they don't want to do the Origin again. They want to be like but the irony is they say they don't want to do the Origin again Alah Superman, which did that very well, But then they also do the Origin at the beginning for forty five minutes, which ironically my favorite part. I think if a story's great and has a good origin, you can do it as many times as you want. But I wanted I feel like the opening had the energy, the wildness, the weirdness. I want to see them fighting all these villains.
Speaker 3: Why are they in New York.
Speaker 5: Why in this version of New York or they're like fifty million hilarious themed villains. How did you guys feel do you feel like they were trying to step away or do a new direction for.
Speaker 3: The mcu joelle, What about you?
Speaker 8: I'm gonna answer that question when we come back from this break A.
Speaker 3: She's so profecid.
Speaker 4: Yay, we're back, Okay. I we were talking a little bit about how afraid Marvel is. It's from a corporate perspective, we can understand. I mean, if we again compare like Superman, it's struggling worldwide, like at home Gangbusters worldwide. People are not so high on people Americans right now.
Speaker 6: So we get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, understandably, Understandably.
Speaker 5: I was looking at these numbers yesterday. It's just not doing like crazy big superhero numbers.
Speaker 3: It's still like.
Speaker 5: Performing pretty well. It's just domestically it's really hanging.
Speaker 3: I think those.
Speaker 4: Margins make a difference to a corporation. So from a corporate standpoint, I understand wanting to play it safe. I think we're and this is the thing. You know, if you've been tracking Hollywood news for a while, so thing you we've been talking about for a long time like this is not how art works. You can't play it safe and hope to succeed in art. It just doesn't ever work. You have to you really have to pick side. You have to make difficult choices. It's what makes art pop and connect to an audience. It's what grips people to it. So you know, Superman may have detractors, but it's making very strong, bold statements and it's connecting with the people it was made for. I think Disney has to release this idea of we need to be for everybody and just pick somebody you want to appeal to. I think, like, for example, if you want to keep this squeaky clean, cool, but then this should be a fun ass Avengers movie, like it big, like more time with your villain who's more dastardly, and like in your face, Like there is a way that you can keep this very Disney, very like high polish. If you want to do the grounded story, then we need the darkness. And the darkness can't be hinted at. It can't be a suggestion. It has to be that real for us. If you want us to be in a real New York, then we need to feel the real things we would feel as adults. Like, it's a problem for me, and I just think I also think there's recently, Kevin Figi did a big like sit down with a bunch of different press members. I read the Variety article on it, and in it he was like, you know, we're always trying to plus scenes, We're always trying to add more. So we're never done, and I'm never satisfied with a script or a film, Kevin gently love. That's a problem. It is a big problem.
Speaker 3: It is a problem.
Speaker 4: I've never finished or satisfied. It's a problem to.
Speaker 1: Say that's why.
Speaker 4: We can never feel grounded or landed in a decision, because in a couple of weeks you might change your mind. And for I think performers and artists specifically, they base so much of like this hand gesture is because sixty pages from now, this is going to happen. Like they try to connect all that stuff that's part of their training, and so when you don't have a grounded world to build off of, you struggle. And I think that's sort of where Disney is at right now. They're trying so hard to a please everybody, b make sure that their movies can perform at their highest top rank that they have completely like negated story and arc and saying anything for a chance to get some cash, and it's it reads and to me, it's not enjoyable.
Speaker 3: I think as well.
Speaker 5: The issue comes when it's the idea of like not making a whole movie because guess what, guys, and you know that with the conversation around this movie, Eternals is going to be making a return to the discourse even outside podcast a. Sandy Eternals actually, uh, you know over hate it underrated and I.
Speaker 3: Said, oh, of course, but say this one thing, it.
Speaker 5: Is gonna be like people are gonna be talking about that feels like a whole movie.
Speaker 3: Babe. You watch the movie. You seen the movie, you understand what happens. This can't help to me but feel like a little bit. It doesn't make enough of a leap away from the MCU is established.
Speaker 5: It kind of feels more in the middle, and I think that is a problem for what they needed to do on a corporate level, and also the fact that I'm even thinking about what they needed to do on a corporate level. That means the movie didn't immerse me and make me very happy. But Aaron, what do you think compared to, like, you know, Phase four and five. As someone who enjoyed this, what are the things that made it different for you, that made it something you really enjoyed.
Speaker 7: I likes that it felt it was detached and felt detached. This felt like again I mean Thunderpoltz. I think I said the exact same thing about that movie. If you hadn't caught up with phases four and five and just wanted a jumping off point, Thunderbolts was a good spot to do. I think this is another good spot because you don't have to have any connection to anything. This is a different New York, This is a different universe. Like the connection and how it will move into the main MCU is not even explained in this movie, which you know that was a bit of a bummer. I do wish like there was something that like cleared that up. And maybe that was too much again fan theorizing and like how are they going to do this? Oh, they're gonna send Franklin in the in the ship and you know whatever. Like I was fine with this being a little standalone thing. I did personally feel I hear all of these complaints. I agree, Like, there are definitely moments in this that feel, like Jason, what a good point, Like every scene in this is the scene and there is nothing that it's saying while we're giving you a little extra stuff here, which again not not like a great movie, still an enjoyable time for me because it felt like I felt kind of immersed in it. They got these little Fantastic Four created you know, baby monitor, and they got the Fantastic Four created TV and like there are all these little things that still feel in University, and I, you know, I loved seeing Subterranea for the brief twenty seconds. I do wish we had more Moleman, Like, you know, I wish I got to see Malcovic.
Speaker 3: You never thought I did hear people saying that, but it's coming out again and again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I wanted him to do something molemanny ish I would have. I would have just loved him coming through in a big drill or something, you know. But I like, I I thought that the their group dynamic gave me the immersion I needed in them. And even if I don't feel the immersion in that world, and like, sure there's a shot of the Pyramids, Like that doesn't give me the world, you know, feels about them or their decision in not giving up Franklin, which is something I have thoughts on too, But like them in the Tower was enough for me of like, oh, yeah, here's a little like immersive part of them and Sue appearing out of nowhere on Ben's bed as they're just like hanging out, and like, oh, I hate that was fun.
Speaker 3: That was fun.
Speaker 4: My favorite part of like, oh, there's where I felt some texture when Ben turns to look at Sue and he's like, are you pregnant? My whole heart left out and I was like, this is the cutest, sweetest, like I really understand who they are as friends. I will say, ever, in the Tower it felt like roommates. It felt like they're arey' all love each other so much?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, gang roommates, Do more of that, Do more of that.
Speaker 4: I felt a little less family than I wanted in that space, but the energy in that dining scene was great. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Can I just say as well, these are close family because something that I was absolutely dying at is when they're in space and she's giving birth, which I do think is such a fantastic scene, the anti grammaty bro bro bro thing, not just that she takes off the.
Speaker 3: Fantastic pants and things. Head is just all up in it, like his head is right then, I'm like that.
Speaker 4: By the way, I like these.
Speaker 5: Guys are really close, Like this is like I don't know if i'd have my my bestie up in the place, like he knows you're pregnant.
Speaker 4: Last here we have to pause here and talk about something really important. Okay, I really like here they set Sue up. No no, no, because you've you've touched on something that has I can't stop thinking about it. Sue is an awesome woman character, and we have so few in the MCU, and a lot of the ones who are really cool we don't either a get enough of or be they feel so forced cool that it almost trips into being on for example. Okay, so like Aquay is my favorite woman in the MCU. She's so boss, She's the whole wag Sea like. She's great. She's supposed to have a series that got canceled too that I like. I like Carter, she's great. She had a TV show but it was not treated well and didn't do great. She kind of pops up in What If. But there again, I think that her as like the British Captain. It doesn't do much for me. I'm sorry personally. It feels a little forced and it's a little wild. Here comes Sue working for like peace and dealing with world leaders, and she's so cool. Then she gets pregnant. I love stories about moms. I think moms are so cool, and we don't give them enough credit on screen and off. When they get pregnant, they get shoved off into a corner boring. She's like, listen on nothing, stop and bid a great and at the top we're gonna get into it. So at the top, I think it's really interesting, Like we get this really tender scene of like, oh my god, I'm pregnant. We stopped trying. That's crazy. This is very common story for people to have trouble getting predate them and you stop trying. That's when it happens. Lovely. They're so excited. They're an older couple. They're a little bit nervous, but all of this is working so well. They're like, it's gonna be good. And then they're like, let's go to space. I said, pause. She's a geriatric pregnancy, which is not an offensive term. It's just the scientificiatric pregnancy. She is way pregnant, I would guess, at least seven months, but possibly further along. You're not even supposed to be on an airplane at this point in time, and that she's about to rock it off into space. This is what I'm talking about. If you want to be grounded in reality, then we must address that.
Speaker 6: Joe conversations.
Speaker 3: Joe, I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree with you more because I think what we needed in the they come back home and everybody's mad at them scene is like read being like, Okay, my wife went up to space to try and fucking save the world at eight months pregnant. They you're not even supposed to do any of this. Stuffy could have died.
Speaker 3: Out head complaining.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you, well within that because part of what I felt missing in with the whole question of why she doing this is.
Speaker 6: She does what? On the like, what does she do?
Speaker 2: I get that she is an incredible communicator and her ability to build bridges with Harvey the Moullman and his entire society is like what brought piece of the planet and there's other variations of this, but like I felt like they needed to put that on front Street. She is going on the mission why.
Speaker 5: To communicate with Galactus? Right, that's what the immedia aunts, so would be like she is the.
Speaker 3: One to say that I agree with you.
Speaker 4: So really what she does other is like she tactically makes them invisible when it's called for, which is not something you could aid plan for. And b we can go back and to read a little bit here. If Reid is a genius, then I believe that he is a genius. Is like, we need to attack a problem on multiple points because we are now at a ticking clock. They're like, hey, your end is coming. You don't have a lot of time. Okay, what if I said my whole team into space explorationally? No, absolutely not. Ben, get up there, Johnny, you're gonna work on this language thing. I'm gonna try to figure out the transportation sue. You go be a diplomats and people don't hate us. We have different roles that need to be inactive, and we need back up plans to our play through, like we have one Hail Mary. I'm like, this is driving me crazy. There's no person would approach a problem this way.
Speaker 3: I think that the biggest issue I'm realizing.
Speaker 5: I love having these roundtables because Aaron, a lot of what you're saying is true. There was moments when I was just vibing. I think for me, I just this version of Read is at the center of my issues with the movie. I don't think he's clever enough. I don't think he's inventive enough. I don't think that he's taking enough risks. Ironically, he takes a huge risk with Sue going to space, but like they don't even really have a conversation about it, and then he doesn't really take risks when it comes to like, I truly believe that Read Richard's incredible mind would be so obsessed with Galactus and the way that he works and the things he needs, why wouldn't he try and come up with a different idea? And I get you just gave birth in space, very like stressful situation.
Speaker 3: But I do feel like for.
Speaker 5: Me that kind of lack of Read being the smartest or being so smart, being so scientific. It was very drawn back here, It was very introverted here, and he didn't even do like something me and Jason talked about that I thought would have been.
Speaker 3: A great call.
Speaker 5: Is he didn't even like do something really risky by himself that would have proven that he thought he knew better than everyone, and that causes like a conflict.
Speaker 3: And then I'm sorry, guys.
Speaker 5: I think you guys are having such a good, sensible, interesting, diverse conversation, but I got to bring it up the fucking baby, Like I'm sorry, guys, Like why couldn't they get a real baby? Like, I mean, there is a real baby, but like, why did they see gi.
Speaker 3: The baby's face?
Speaker 5: It's so distracting, especially if you're sitting at the front like me, especially if you have brain rot like me. As soon as that happened, I started thinking, oh shit, it's the Twilight Baby. It's frank zmey. This is gonna be one of the things that becomes a meme. Not just that, guys, this is my other thing I just have to say, because they didn't say it on the other podcast. I have now realized that Bellis One has exactly the same powers as Sue Storm, And once I started thinking about it, the whole.
Speaker 3: Movie was completely derailed for me.
Speaker 5: Dude, powers that they can control where they protect their family by putting out a shield like she gets worn down by it. The baby is a talking baby that can emotionally talk to Stephanie Meyers. I don't know if you ever read a comic of The Fantastic Four, but you either have exactly the same brain as Jack Kirby unlikely, or you definitely stole all of those powers the baby. Once that happened, the movie was on a downward swing for me. Even though I love Galactus, I love Look. I've been pitching for a long time, guys, this idea that this year is hot Kaiju summer. Every movie has a fucking Kaiju. They made Galactus into a Kaiju. They scaled him down, they had him walk through. Michael Giacchino even did the dunt dunt dum like it was gonna be Godzilla's the and I thought that was really fun. But then I started the baby looks weird. Galactus isn't the right scale. He's changing size, like we're watching later Jurassic World movies where the dinosaurs would always changed size. And I think that's where it started to get muddy for me. It was all began with Frank Zme and from there it was it was it was downhill. Let's talk about before I went on that tangent Pedro Pascal. I believe the man. I'm not gonna say the question. Does Pedro have the juice? I believe he has the juice. We've seen him have the juice. Did they make the most of having the most famous actor in the world as read Richards? In my opinion, no, Aaron, did the read Richard's characterization as someone who doesn't necessarily know him?
Speaker 3: Was that a character you were interested in?
Speaker 7: I mean, I know I have a basic understanding. Yeah, really, you know, I read you know, fraction comics and stuff. I just don't have like a huge He was never one of my favorites, and I think honestly he's very few people's favorites because we have this constant comparison and obviously to Superman, and I have been shocked this whole time that you've thought this would be bigger than Superman because Superman is just a bigger brand.
Speaker 3: But don't always do crazy well.
Speaker 7: And it also anyways, Yes, but for Reid, I think reads not the main character of this movie.
Speaker 5: It's a s Johnny, That's what I'm saying. That's a problem. It is a Swing Johnny movie and they are better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he that shouldn't.
Speaker 5: Be the case when you have Pedro pascal as read Joe Al what was your read on read?
Speaker 4: Okay, I have a controversial opinion to this groups here I read I like this version of reading, but I love a worry dad. Like a worried dad is like for me, like, I'm like.
Speaker 6: This is so sweet.
Speaker 4: He's like literally was like, what if I took down every gang at once? Like the ambition to baby proof of the World is It's what endeared me most to Read. And simultaneously the fact that didn't pass on to his wife at all, which I think is really where usually it's like you're the carrying case and now I'm like, protect you at all, colle He's like, watch you out here doing whatever? But how do I make this world safe for my baby? I love this element of him. I think there's a lack of dichotomy between Read before he found out he was going to become a dad and Read once he found out he became a father. I think it would have been really interesting to see this read that everybody knows as a top like adventurer, headstrong, like confident in all of his thoughts like really like loving the event, and again we get it in a speech, see exactly.
Speaker 3: That's the problem.
Speaker 4: But that's what I'm saying, Like if you had given us a moment instead of telling us, oh, we were like really adventuring and now I'm a dad, it's different. Show me, show me, like okay, here he is like taking risks, not listening to everybody, like really on his own, and the minute he finds out he's a dad, all his confidence is gone. He's concerned about everything he's he's isolating a little more because he's putting all of his time and effort into these new inventions. Like there's that gives you an arc, but instead what you get is like, oh, this guy's become a dad and he's worried about it, which doesn't give me a lot to connect to the character. Everybody worries when they find outther becoming apparent. That's like the universal thing about becoming a parent. But this guy has changed dramatically and now his wife is like where's my husband at? And the world is like, where is our leader at? That's how we get into a story. There isn't enough dichotomy between who were you before this inciting incident and who are you now? And there's not enough character in the who are you now for us to infer who he was before, and so it's just it lays kind of flat. I think Patron's giving his all. I thought when he's been the calculations, when he's talking to the kids and he gets too lofty's like, let's explode something like there's so much like where you're like, oh, I get the personality leader on TV type it. It's almost there, but the writing just doesn't give us enough to understand the man fully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for me, it's very simple of middle aged genius, super genius who lives with his family and has no secrets from them is not interesting period. What is his internal life like? Like, what is he not telling them? What is he not the world? He literally tells them immediately he lands thirty seconds after the galactus thing, and it's like.
Speaker 6: Here's every here's the here's the absolute.
Speaker 2: Most crucial shit that happened. That, by the way, I should keep to myself. I'm gonna tell you everything, and that is I agree with you everything you said. You well, But I think part of the reason it's flat is like everybody in this is an open book that has no secrets from anybody else, like what Rosie hinted at.
Speaker 6: It and talked about it.
Speaker 2: We did mention it in the pod. But like part of being that smart is you see around the corner and you see what's coming. Do you want to let people know about how bad it's going to be? Maybe he doesn't. And now it's interesting.
Speaker 3: Right, imagine if he had been the only.
Speaker 2: One this is much worse than everybody thinks, and I know it, And how do I break that to everybody? Or do I even break it to everybody? Now I'm leaning in and I just felt like the fact that it's just read telling you, I'm just here's everything that's going on, and here's everything that I'm thinking, and here's what happened with and him being such an open book is part of why it didn't why it felt a little swagless to me, Like I love that he was a caring father, but he had a he almost had there was like he was kind of personality less in a way that felt a little drab.
Speaker 7: Again, not a bad movie, not to invoke Marvel at its peak, but it would have been amazing to have had a scene reminiscent of Doctor Strange saying there's one there's one universe, there's one path where this works out.
Speaker 3: So I seen it.
Speaker 1: Yea been very cool.
Speaker 4: They started hinting at it when she's like what you do hurts me sometimes, and that Jason was talking about like that being the most interesting part to him. I think that like if they had actually went and had that fight instead of like the hard cut Disney decided to make where he's really like, yes it does. I'm gonna hurt your babe, Like I'm stupid smart, and I have to see all of the options and if this is part of being with me, and she could be like you terrified, I mean, this world for our child again. Now we have conflict, Now we have something to go off of. But like the immediate return to the side of like I'm sorry, I'll try to be better at that. You're just like this is not storytelling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna go to a break. We'll be right back, Okay. It's the it's the comparison that it's not a comparison, it's not a competition, but it is a competition because they are competing companies. Superman versus Fantastic four.
Speaker 4: Do we care?
Speaker 2: Is it like, do we acknowledge it? What do we think if this movie comes out on its own with no Superman? Do we feel differently?
Speaker 4: In Arrival? Read this old you cannot help but compare. I absolutely think we would have a different perspective. I also think we'd have a term perspective. If Marvel's last one, two or three movies had been hit, then it wouldn't matter as much. But because they were like, this is so new and so different, because it's a property they've been trying to get back, and everybody's very curious about what's gonna happen with the formerly Fox characters. I think, of course, like we can because they had James Gunn and lost him. I think you can't help but look and compare and like contrast and see, like, hey, what's going on here? And when you look at DC hitting it so hard out of the park, making it completely their own, and to have Marvel hit you with another like me like that's it's almost worse than if it had been bad, because if it had just been straight up bad, then you could be like, well, at least they were trying something, and they're trying to shake off this like dust and get back to something but the men and the safety of it all. I mean, I'm hearing life long like since eight Marvel fans be like, I just don't care anymore. Like it's not superhero fatigue, it's Marvel fatigue, and it's because you're not giving us stuff to be excited about and to connect with. I really like like the idea of Galactus. Again, I'm not a big Fantastic four person, but Galactus is one of those creatures that whenever seen me be like, holy shit, Like he's a world eater. He's a world eater. She pushed him back with magical rainbow forces. I just what are we doing? Like why why did that happen? We're we have tactical geniuses on the ground and they're not at their tech Like typically what happens when you get an emotional pushback like that where it's like one person just giving it. They're all until they died on the field. What's usually happened is you've had nineteen failures before that. Yeah, and it's the last hurrah and it's the only time to save them. And it makes sense. We have like two tries that are honestly mediocre and haphazard, and it does, and it makes what should have been this emotionally devastating moment for a woman he said, I will do everything to protect my child kind of silly. You're like, he's a world eater who's older than our universe and you got to just push him across a lot. I don't understand you didn't use his hubris against him. Like there's just classic comic book tropes of how we the villains that they just chose not to hit here, and it really bums me up.
Speaker 2: I just want to add before we move on that I think this what you're talking about, Joelle, we're missing the early movie scene that usually appears in these kind of movies where there's some sort of fight so that it's it's one an exciting moment for the fans, but it's too an important load bearing structure because it tells you how strong everybody is and how their powers work. And the fact that we didn't get that before this big fight, I think it makes it contributes to this kind of murky feeling. Okay, Aaron, without Superman, you loved the movie so like better than Superman?
Speaker 6: Tell me, like, is it better than Superman.
Speaker 7: Uh wow, So obviously I'm gonna say Superman's better because I'm standing here with the three of.
Speaker 1: You, so.
Speaker 6: They don't be bullied by us.
Speaker 3: I have controversial opinions all the time. Say for it's all good, we welcome the min I.
Speaker 7: In six months, who knows how I'll feel about the two of these movies, Like I'll rewatch them and I will probably like one more than the other.
Speaker 1: At this point, I left the.
Speaker 7: Theater for both movies very happy that I had seen a fun comic book movie. And I think that I think Marvel peaked with Endgame. I think Marvel right now is Lebron on the Lakers like trying to chase his former glory. Everyone is trying to achieve the same thing, even Marvel, Like Marvel is trying to be what Marvel was, and nobody's really doing it. DC is exciting, and I'm hoping that that will lead into a nice universe and we can get some fun Mister Terrific and some fun howtgirl stuff. But I had fun. I had fun with both of them, and like I left Superman, excited to see more comic book movies, which I think is something that hasn't been the case. Like I didn't leave Brave New World, like Holy, I can't wait to get back in the theater for one of these. And I left Superman and I felt excited about stuff, and I left this and I was like, I'm excited to see all these people in Doomsday. I think the will be fun.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think it.
Speaker 7: It will unfortunately be compared to Superman, as we have done throughout this entire podcast episode, and everyone else will do the exact same thing. I think it will compare unfavorably. Everyone I think will prefer Superman to this, which is fine. You know that's gonna happen when they are released back to back like this. If it was on its own, I don't know if I would have felt differently about it. Maybe because I had such low expectations and was so happy with Superman that that made me enjoy this one too, And just like the residual good feelings about comic book movies was still, I was still high on that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know that. It's not really an answer.
Speaker 6: I enjoyed it Rosie better. If Superman didn't exist.
Speaker 5: I think it's different, but I don't think it would take away the biggest problem, which I think you guys kind of touched on, and I just I think after this conversation, the biggest issue is they didn't know how to bring the powers to the screen.
Speaker 3: And I don't think that.
Speaker 5: Would be different if Superman hadn't been released before. Agree, I think that this I did have a feeling where if this had come out after Endgame, even with like a two year gap or something, I think this would have felt like a gang buster. Hey, they're doing something different, Like it's still flawed, but I think post everything else, it feels kind of like the movie should be better, and for me it is that. I think you made a great point, Jason, and you two Aaron this note of like power setting. I don't think they knew how to do the powers. I think the stretching was bad. I think there was moments where as a comic book fan who loves this stuff like reads, so in this world, he didn't invent unstable molecules because his costume ripped, or wait, how far can galect Us pull him? Doesn't actually look that far compared to other things. I think it To me, it comes down to the powers and how they represented, and I don't think that that would have changed with Superman. But Superman had so many different core characters with cool different powers, like a really inventive green lantern, that I think that without that, maybe this would have looked a little bit better. But yeah, I think it's gonna be the cultural conversation. And Marvel made that choice by putting this.
Speaker 3: This could have been.
Speaker 5: Their main movie if it was finished, but they didn't make that choice, and they didn't finish it in time.
Speaker 2: I mean, Superman is and that James Gunn Era has come out with such a bang that we we don't.
Speaker 6: Count Blue Beetle. We're literally like that didn't.
Speaker 5: Happen, which is also funny because the irony is it's like a really fine made for teaching, which is what it was made of, right, right, and but it's kind of funny and we're just like, oh, yeah, I didn't forget that Superman, they did it right well. James Gunn's own suicide Squad was a huge bomb, yep, but they still said, hey, this guy's got a vision, like, let's see what he can do. So maybe focusing on the vision in and not the money is the massive day.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're heading towards Doomsday, we get a snippet of Doom, who is surely not RDJ. It's just some guy whatever PA.
Speaker 3: Was day Good for that good?
Speaker 2: I have to be feeling going to Doomsday and any predictions as we head towards Doomsday and secret with.
Speaker 5: Rosie predictions, how am I feeling about it? Give Doctor doomergreen coat. I don't want to see this silver cape. I'm not interested in it. I don't know about that sot out. That mask looks bad if you're I think a lot of the problem with this is right now, there is a very interesting resurgence with kids and gen Z folks of enjoying what Zero's CG looked like. There's been a lot of retroactive fandom of the Michael Bay movies, the intricacy of the CG, this kind of detailed focus, and I do think that, unfortunately, that means people are looking back to the Odd Fantastic Four movies. They're going, hey, this looks pretty fun, pretty camp, pretty colorful. I think there's a lot of comparison here. I think they are committed to doomsday. They've rushed that through their bringing back the Russo Brothers. I don't know I would like to see Doctor Doom dunwell, and everyone knows I was not a huge RDG Doom fan. This doesn't necessarily fill me with joy, but I do think, as I mentioned before, lots of ways to change that, lots of ways to adapt it. Shachman put in all these wonder Vision kind of caplans, shop and all these things that made me think, well, you could always just say it was all a dream or a pocket universe or whatever version you want to do. I don't think they're going to do that, because they committed really hard to this. But my biggest this theory is that yeah, Doom wants Franklin so he can create World War Doom. He can create his battle world or whatever, and then he will use that to craft the drama of.
Speaker 3: Secret Wars or you know.
Speaker 5: Honestly, the weirdest thing is like I came out of this with so many more just like joke thoughts.
Speaker 3: In my head.
Speaker 5: And everyone knows I'm a theorizer, but this really left me more of like why did the baby look like that? Which is kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: Joelle, I really hated this post credit scene. I hate both. This one really upset me. I think a good post credit scene, as established by Marvel, informs your audience of something new. So like the end of the Thunderbolts credit scene was fucking boss. We got new outfits, we understood that they were. Now like there's a new conflict set up between these vendors and the new Avengers and then the fantastic for entering the papers great so much I can take home and work with and pick up. That's awesome. Doom is coming and you did a whole presentation on that year and a half ago. Like I I've done seen that. I know doom is coming. What do I get out of here? I don't even understand, Like I don't even necessarily need to know that, Like I'm working, like ore Read and Sue still together because they were having some conflict that never really got resolved, and it's all very vague and foggy, and he's nowhere to be seen in this apartment. Uh what is Sue? Is she stay at home mom? Now they're just chilling at home or like I don't understand, Like it's four years, You've done a four year jump, but I don't know, like what's happened? I don't know. They're just reading books and now Doom is here. This is such a waste of my time. I just says, of my time. Makes it feel so dramatic. I just feel like, if you're gonna do a post credit scene, like there should be a reason for rolling the camera. And I just don't even made a big deal. They were like, oh, if the Russo's directed, I'm like, who gives a You could put an interurt on this. It got the exact same shot, nothing happened.
Speaker 5: I will say as well, Joel, you're making me think like why as well? Like tonally, maybe don't bring the verses in because hilariously, my read on that post credit scene, so who goes into that.
Speaker 3: Room and there's like a sexy music and her magic starts and I was like, I literally was like no more. I was like, why they bringing him into this.
Speaker 4: Like they already want to five was like there'd be another man in this house, like he's not here anymore.
Speaker 5: Feel to me, it didn't feel like Fia. It didn't feel like Aaron, how is it for you? We're so happy to see doctor Doom.
Speaker 3: You love him.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 7: It was There have been too many Marvel post credit scenes that introduced some new character that we're never going to see again. Are we excited that Schiros again? Are we going to see Clea again? Are we going to see Hercules? Like there have been too many of those. This was an in universe introduction to doctor Doom. Yes, we've had the comic con panels, Yes we've had news leaks and photos, but this was the first time in universe we get doomed. This is an introduction to something new. Like not everyone that's seeing the movie has been in the subreddits for three years rising about Doom, so this is an introduction to him. I thought that this did what the old post credit scenes used to do, introducing cap Shield, introducing Thor's hammer, introducing like a thing that we know is going to happen in an upcoming movie, as opposed to all these other ones that are just like expanding the universe for the universe's sake and they never lead to anything. So I thought this was a really good one, and I I I don't care if it was downy or not. Like the fact that there was just a hint of Doom. We get this iconic villain who's going to be there. I can't believe you're going off on like whether or not read his home and if there has to be another man in the house. What a silly Like it was just about introducing Doom, that's it, but it wasn't another man in that house.
Speaker 6: Doom the back of Doom, but it's not an introduction.
Speaker 4: Listen, wait, wait, we got Thor's hammer. Like nobody knew what to expect next. Really like they weren't doing large, like full scale announcements, and so when you uncover the shield, you're like, oh, that you're doing more. That's really exciting. Even Samuel Jackson's like, they're like, oh, here's the full character. He does have the eye patches. Samuel L. Jackson, we did the long coat, but there's enough detail in there that you're like, I'm starting to get an idea of like who this character is this And yes, the spirit level Halloween costume where he's on his knees and he's got the tape. Any action, y'all are gonna beet Ian on our Comic Con news episode. I'm very excited for the audience. It's gonna be great, lots of hot takes for Ian. But I just I felt like, well, if I'm totally fine with like, here's just a tease of this character, but then you need to be doing something And I don't understand what he's doing with the like what who are you here for the kiddy? Here for Sue? What's going It's just so out of left field and not enough information.
Speaker 1: He was he was sitting in front of Franklin and he taking.
Speaker 4: Off his mask and he's kneeling. But again that it's not enough information. Aaron is not I need I need a here's the thing I'm giving you, here's the keys, you're coming with me? Anything? What are we doing?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 5: Also a big issue and I did bring this up on mine in Jason's podcast, but I think it leans into this, like they don't introduce Doom at any point in the movie, and like Victor von Doom is like a very important part.
Speaker 1: Of what there is.
Speaker 7: In the un with the la He's not there, but like so that was the.
Speaker 5: Well, like the implication of him being with Franklin, if he'd been in the movie is like, oh maybe Sumin Doom did hook up. That was always that like tension between them, is it his kid? Like this was just like a random guy coming to find Franklin. They did they go to college together.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That was my So my takeaway on obviously the final stinger, I think is you wasted everybody's time with that. The the first stinger, I liked it, but I thought what you needed was one line anywhere in the movie Meeting of the Future Foundation, lavarious seat is empty. Somebody says something about that. Somebody just set the table so that I know if he exists or not, and if you know who he is or not. That's what I needed, because now we're heading into this. You know, after this the credit scene is that her first time she's met Dune.
Speaker 6: They fought him before.
Speaker 8: Does she know who?
Speaker 4: Like I don't want this.
Speaker 5: Room?
Speaker 6: Yes, and and any of that is fine.
Speaker 2: You don't know who he is? You do, like but I but not knowing is so weird to me.
Speaker 6: Just set it up.
Speaker 2: And then my final takeaway, just like on as we headed Doomsdays, we head in a Secret Wars all this stuff is I am left feeling that I don't know if Marvel has a plan, although I'm sure they say they do, and if they do have a plan, I'm not sure that Figgie will stick with it. Like I think that this movie has all the hallmarks of something that's been changed a million times, even up to the fact that Malcovich was surprisingly cut out of it despite being featured in the in the trailers right as apes was still bad and the apes are still there. So do we have a plan? Are we able to follow through with it?
Speaker 4: According to Variety.
Speaker 2: Can we follow Can we follow through with it in any substantive way? So, because like, here's what happened, you know, we talk about Marvel fatigue.
Speaker 6: What happened was Marvel ran out of story.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 2: It's really a very simple thing.
Speaker 4: Like it's not.
Speaker 2: Of course, there was some heat that drifted away and some uh fatigue with the genre overall, But what really happened is you ran out of story after endgame, the story was over, and yes there are these little solo things it happened, but the overarching story was the story and you ran out of that. So do we have that anymore? Do we have plans to create that? Or are we just gonna kind of go movie for movie, jumping moving to movie.
Speaker 6: And that, to me is the question.
Speaker 4: I have a theory. I have a theory, okay, and it's it's and maybe it's just what shuol thinking, because I've been asking Marvel to do this for a very long time, but you have to go younger, for the love of God. Look me, I agree, must go younger. And it's not because we don't want to see stories from older folks. It's just that you have stocked so much on the older folks that there's no space for the young kids to get it. We're worried about like a forty five year old, like having a baby for the first time, like a five year old, cannot connect on that emotional level. They don't understand. Johnny is not enough of a kid for the kids to connect to. I don't know who the children are supposed to like fall in love with and connect with in this movie, and that.
Speaker 1: Is Johnny eat cereal out of the box, Joelle.
Speaker 4: He was in that Stranger Thing movie. He's clearly the little brother, but it's just not quite enough. He's not cool or daring enough to sort of get on the vibe of like, oh he is like the alt outside kind of bad boy esque energy that we kind of expect from Johnny. I think that if they can lean into the X Men and a Young Adventures team and nail the consequences and the things that concern Like the youth are concerned about a lot of things. Pick a tough like is it climate change? Is it their rights?
Speaker 7: Is it war?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: All of these very classic comic book things that the youth tries to process through these heroes. Now is the time Marvel to tap into those things, and then you can get in Avengers versus x Men build into that, and that's really cool because who doesn't love an Avenger versus X Men showdown? I certainly do.
Speaker 2: I think what you're getting at also is something that I've been Part of the reason I like Superman so much is because gun is subversive.
Speaker 6: What do we even buy someone?
Speaker 2: He was able to put all these themes about war, about immigration, about and and do them in such a way that, yes, some people called it out, but he's also like tricking a lot of people realizing that that's what the movie is about. So much of what I love about cinema from the fifties and sixties is all of these subversive things about race relations or or homosexuality that we're snuck into mainstream movies by artists who understood that this is part of life. But my bosses are going to say no, So I'm going to put this in there in a way that nobody could really figure it out, right, And we need that now. We need that now from our superhero movies, and we need that now from Marvel. And I think that The Fantastic Four was a movie that was completely bereft of any kind of subtext, and we need some subversive subtext in these movies.
Speaker 5: Again, I think you've touched on something really incredible that, Jason, because Superman and DC are generally seen as the above the real world. You know, they're the gods, the trinity that they can't connect. They're more about fantasy, and Marvel is always seen as grounded and talking about things in the real world. It's much of what made people excited about the comics and why they've had such a longevity. And I think it's pretty crazy that we're in a situation where we have a DC movie that's done that in a really kind of both subtle and on the noseway and works in both ways. And like you said, Jason, this movie has nothing to say, which is kind of crazy. Actually, Yeah, you make a great point.
Speaker 2: Well, that's been it for a roundtable of the Fantastic Fool. On the next episode of xtra Vision, We've got a special recap from our time at Comic Con featuring Alien Earth and Rosie's conversation.
Speaker 6: With Yeah, who, Rosie, Who, who might you be talking to?
Speaker 5: I'm going to talk to Tom McFall and legendary Spawn creator and Image comic superstar and one of my favorite comic book.
Speaker 2: That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 5: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kurtman.
Speaker 6: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 5: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 2: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 5: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator.