Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we just know all the young hoopers out there are practicing a spin in fades so they can pull off a buzzer beater like neco Ogumakay. It's Tuesday, August twenty sixth. Then on today's show, Big Citrus is jumping on to discuss the state of the WNBA MVP race, the behind the scenes of how the voting process works, and how the term MVP is even defined. Plus winning on your Home green a thirty point return. How could we have forgotten that the sky is falling? It's all coming up right after this welcome back slicays, here's what you need to know today. Let's start with the WNBA and that aforementioned buzzer beater. Neko ogum Makay led the Seattle Storm to an eighty four eighty two win over the Washington Mystic Sunday Night, scoring thirty points, including a career high six three pointers and that last second clutch jumper to seal the win. French phenom Dominique Malonga also had a stellar night, coming off the bench to put up her fourth double double of the season. The win was Seattle's fourth in its last five games, a nice bounce back after they'd suffered a six game skid. Continuing this hot streak could be crucial for the seventh place Storm heading into the final stretch of the regular season. Meantime, the Mystics are sitting in tenth after losing four straight and seven of their last ten. More WNBA Sunday night also saw the highly anticipated return of the Minnesota Lynx's defeast A Collier, who had been out since August second, missing seven games with an ankle injury. Collier wasted no time in her return to the court, picking up her MVP campaign season with an eleven of sixteen shooting night for thirty two points plus nine rebounds to lead the Links to a ninety seven to eighty four winner for the Indiana Fever. We'll have plenty more to say on her return and the other WNBA MVP contenders later in the show. One final w highlight, this one involving the newest member of the Good Game Hall of Fame, Page Beckers, and perhaps that honor we gave Beckers Jinxter because she saw one of her streaks and shortly after we recorded yesterday's episode, during the Dallas Wings ninety to eighty one loss to the Golden State Valkyrie. Sunday, Becker scored just nine points, marking the first game of her pro career that she didn't score in double digits. Up until now, Beckers had recorded at least ten or more points in her first thirty games as a pro, including, of course, last week's rookie record forty four point contest. Still, becker streak ranks pretty high in WNBA history. Her thirty straight games marked the fourth longest stretch of double digit points to start a WNBA career, behind only Candae Parker with thirty two straight, Asia Wilson with thirty seven, and Cynthia Cooper with ninety two. Yes, Cynthia Cooper recorded double digit points for ninety two straight games, a streak that lasted from her WNBA debut in nineteen ninety seven until two thousand now. As we mentioned yesterday's show, Cooper already had a lot of pro basketball experience by the time she made her WNBA debut in the league's inaugural season, but those ninety two games still marked the longest double digit streak of all WNBA Pais players.
Speaker 2: Regardless of years of experience. The great.
Speaker 1: Simone Augustus is number two on that version of the list, having recorded eighty eight straight double digit games with the Minnesota Lynx from six to eight. So while Becker's maybe back to zero with the start of a career streak, we do have a feeling she'll start a new streak very soon.
Speaker 2: To golf.
Speaker 1: The LPGA's Canadian Women's Open wrapped up on Sunday in Ontario, with Canadian player Brooke Henderson winning her first victory on tour in more than two and a half years. Henderson took the win by defeating Minji Lee by one stroke. Henderson has won fourteen times in her LPGA career, but her last win came back in January of twenty twenty three. She said after the tournament, quote, this year has not gone very well up to this point, and it just feels like this was meant to be. She added, Honestly, I'm surprised I'm not crying right now because it just means so much.
Speaker 2: End quote. There's nothing like winning at home to hockey.
Speaker 1: The pwatails Minnesota Frost has announced the hiring of Brienna Decker as an assistant coach to ken Clee. Decker a three time Olympic medalist for Team USA, officially retired in twenty twenty three following a devastating leg injury at the twenty twenty two Beijing Winter Games. Earlier this summer, she was named the Hockey Hall of Fame's Class of twenty twenty five and will be officially.
Speaker 2: Inducted in November.
Speaker 1: She spent the last few years as an assistant coach with both Team USA's U eighteen team and at famed hockey prep school shatt At Saint Mary's. In a statement, Decker said, quote, it's inspiring to be part of a league that sets the standard for women's hockey and a team that has been at the top of the league two years in a row. I'm excited for what's ahead and proud to contribute to a culture of excellence.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: Finally, some NWSL news, Sophia Fuerta is now the all time assists leader in the NWSL, moving into first with her thirty second career assist, a dish to Jordan Heidema in the Seattle Rains won one draw with the Houston Dash on Sunday.
Speaker 2: And some more soccer.
Speaker 1: The Orlando Pride announced Monday that the team is loaning two time World Cup winner Morgan Gatraw to Newcastle United through the end of twenty twenty five. As part of the same release, Gatraw, a key member of the Pride Shield and Championship wins last season, announced her retirement from the NWSL. In an interview with The Athletic, which we'll link to in the show notes, Gatra said she's excited for the challenge that will come with joining a new team as Newcastle looks to get promoted from the second tier of the Women's Super League.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: I've always loved joining places that I could help make better and where I could leave a lasting impact, and this is going to be no different hopefully end quote. All right, Selica's it's time to introduce a new segment called.
Speaker 2: God, Damn It, freaking Shit Mother for Blind.
Speaker 1: You may recall that in yesterday's episode, I started daydreaming about how easy Fud might end up with the Dallas Wings given their brutal record this year, or maybe the Wings might select Lauren Betts, leaving Asy available for my Chicago Sky, also not doing great this year.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Slice Alexa for bringing me back down to earth hard. She wrote, quote, I regret to inform you that the Links own Chicago's twenty twenty six first round pick. I know it's absolutely ridiculous, but with an absolutely stacked draft class, I'm sure there will be plenty of depth in the first round. But no way Aisy is dropping that big fan of the show so quick. Thank you for all you do and for the great lengths you go to ensuring the values of the show. A favorite episode of mine is the Marina Maybrey interview. Sincerely, a longtime Dallas Wings fan who is hoping for Lauren Betts over Asy because our front court situation is dire. I am loyal till death to our current shooting guard.
Speaker 2: All up to.
Speaker 1: Paisy, but not being an a Rique fan is homophobic, and we all know love stories are better with a little tension and angst.
Speaker 2: Imagine a Paisy in the finals on different teams. End quote. You know what, Alexa, I swear.
Speaker 1: I am preventing my brain from acknowledging the truth about that draft pick.
Speaker 2: If y'all are blocking it out or never knew about it, here's a refresher.
Speaker 1: Last season, the Sky made a deal with the Links to acquire the number seven overall pick in the twenty twenty four draft in exchange for the number eight overall pick, a second round pick in twenty twenty five, and a first round pick swap in twenty twenty six. Then this year they made a trade to acquire the number eleven pick in the twenty twenty five draft, ceding the rights to that twenty twenty six pickswap instead giving Minnesota outright ownership of their first rounder next year. This guy used all those moves to grab Angel Rees at seven in twenty twenty four and Hailey Benlitth at eleven in twenty twenty five. Good moves, but despite talent on the roster, they're still near the bottom of the standings, and now the links are poised to benefit. No matter how many times I reminded of this, I still let myself daydream about this shitburger of a season paying off in the form of an exciting young star joining my team at fixing everything.
Speaker 2: Instead the rich get richer. Damn, damn, damn. We got to take a quick break. When we come back, it's time for Big.
Speaker 1: Citrus Welcome back slices.
Speaker 2: It's time to reconvene. Big Citrus, get in here.
Speaker 1: Alex and meish, what's up, Hey, y Let's talk some WNBA MVP, and let's start with what the hell even is at MVP?
Speaker 2: Because I feel like this is.
Speaker 1: The problem that we have in every sport anytime an MVP conversation comes up. Is it the best player on the best team. Is it the player that means the most to their team? Is it the best player on the best team who also wasn't recently named the MVP because we like to switch the rules around and tell you that you can't win it over and over to even if you deserve it, Like, what the hell is even an MVP?
Speaker 3: Mache Oh well, that's t okay, Clockett. That's t For me personally, I've gravitated towards a combination of, like what you just said, a player that a team would absolutely fall apart without and a player who's just got the most unbelievable stats. I think if you try to do it one way, you're always going to run into an issue where two people are well qualified because of the same things.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's helpful to have two tiers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, think about the name of the award most valuable player, literally the most valuable player to any particular team, and the more stat heavy people. I'm not one of those people, but they can do the stats on what makes a player valuable, like plus minus and offensive rating and defensive rating and all that, and that stuff matters. But I hear a lot of like the best player on the best team approach, and I hear a lot of the person who would be most valuable to any team you place them on, and those are hard for me. Those are hard for me. I don't know if those agree with my logic. And at the same time, it's really difficult because I feel like no matter what approach you take, there's always going to be some disagreement in discussion, Like we just have to concede that point at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Alex, do you use a different tier or set of tiers to decide? Well.
Speaker 4: It's so funny because as I was preparing for this conversation, I was reminiscing back on high school and my field hockey coach didn't believe in MVP awards, and so every year, at like the annual False School Sports Assembly, when they would award all the MVP trophies, it would go to the field hockey team like literally just the team as a whole, and so like in the school auditorium there were just all these plaques where a year after year the field hockey MVP was just the team and.
Speaker 1: As a multi time field hockey MVP, that would have pissed me the.
Speaker 3: Hell off exactly because if you did the work, if you did the work, you beout to give me my ward, give me my war.
Speaker 4: Was the most valuable as somebody that was never close to being named MVPs like this seems right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean me, I agree with what you said.
Speaker 1: I do think for me, m VP has lost its semantical meaning.
Speaker 2: Semantical a word.
Speaker 1: It's a weird thing to ask, I know, semantics, but semantical anyway, it has lost its meaning to me in the sense of like nitpicking word by word. I think what it has come to mean across pretty much all sports is the best player. That's how we seem to talk about it, not who is the most valuable, because we've seen players on teams who have other great players who probably would step up, but they're still the best player. Asia Wilson last season was probably one of the least debated.
Speaker 2: Us of the m v P s in the w n B a of late.
Speaker 1: Because she just dominated and it was of course valuable for her team, and also just the best player, who had the best season, who scored the most points, who did the best things. So yes, I think the tears can help in moments where it feels real head to head, where it's hard to decide.
Speaker 2: But ultimately, to me, it's sort of a little bit of vibes. I mean a thousand percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vib's definitely factor in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's how I kind of want it to be, too, Like when we look back at a previous season, so often we're not talking with the same in the moment context, and so I kind of want to know, Hey, whoever got MVP in twenty fifteen, they were the best player that year. Yes, I don't want to have to kind of take into account, oh well but their team did this and that. Like, I just want to know who was considered the best player that year. So I appreciate that definition of it.
Speaker 1: And I think it's possible to win MVP on a bad team, but you have to be so frickin' good. I don't know why, but my brain goes to, like Ernie Banks, with the Cubs, who was like an MVP on a team that didn't even make the playoffs. Easier in baseball, because your stats are so isolated and independent of all the other things that are going on in basketball, it's almost impossible.
Speaker 2: Like Paige Beckers mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is most valuable on her team because like Ari k has been in and out, that team blows and she's still doing amazing things every night. But she's not the best player in the league. And it wouldn't tell the story of this season for Page Beckers to be the MVP.
Speaker 2: And that's that's what makes it so hard for me.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not advocating.
Speaker 2: For Paige to win MVP. Let me be clear.
Speaker 3: Okay, she's having a she's having a great season, great rookie season. I don't think she's the MVP. But I think what you're pointing out here is why this is so difficult for me, because I love to make space for those quote unquote underdog MVPs because there will be every once in a blue moon, somebody who statistically blows it out of the water and who frankly, like Alex, like you're saying, when you look back on the season, they are the best player, even though their team might have gone five and twenty five or whatever the case may be. And so I guess my point in saying that is whatever tier, whatever calculus people use, I just want to make sure that we're doing due diligence for folks who aren't on the Minnesota leagues or aren't on you know what I mean, top two teams in the league.
Speaker 2: It was interesting.
Speaker 4: I was trying to look back at some of the coverage of Candice Parker's MVP season in two thousand and eight, when she was named both Rookie of the Year and MVP in her first year in the league, because I really wanted to figure out, like, were people just saying like, she's a really good rookie who's like good enough that she deserves MVP. It speaks to maybe something of the media coverage that I wasn't able to come across too much that I don't want nuance and insight. So if any slices out there have anything that you think could shine a light on this for somebody that didn't pay too much attention to the WNBA back in the day, I'd love to see it, because, yeah, it was one of those things where I was like, Okay, what would Page have to do to be in the MVP conversation? And part of me is like, I don't know how much of it comes down to her and how much of it just comes down to not having gotten drafted to that team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somebody who fell in love with the WNBA around that time, range CP three was different. If anybody's got any issues, come hit my DMS we could talk about it.
Speaker 1: Please, Well, let's talk about who's a little different this year, because we are finally and belatedly really introducing Alyssa Thomas into this conversation, and I'll fully admit that we're we're late.
Speaker 2: Part of it is her style of play.
Speaker 1: It is insanely efficient and she puts up crazy numbers, but it's not really flashy in the same way or maybe as graceful as some of the players that we tend to lean towards when we're talking MVP. And also new team, we took most of our time just being surprised that the Mercury were playing so well after the retirement of Ben Tarassi the departure of Britney Grinery, were like, wait.
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 1: And then to be frank, we were also just really focused on her relationship status and her being separated from Dewana Bonner and then reunited. And meanwhile she was like, Okay, I'll just be over here just putting up crazy stats every night. You let me know when you come around to the basketball side of things, and sorry, Alyssa, but we're here now.
Speaker 2: So really, what it.
Speaker 1: Feels like to me is Asia Wilson, Nafisa Kyllier, and Alyssa Thomas. Is there anybody else that you think, within the last stretch of the season can make a true bid for this?
Speaker 3: Oh truly no, But I do think there are some people. There's always there's always benefits of being in that conversation, right, whether it's talks for your next contract, whether you know all that stuff, your own personal legacy.
Speaker 2: I think that's important.
Speaker 1: I do. Once again, you want to make space, yeah, people in the converse, and I get that. I get that, And you're right though, it is necessary to shout out the people who are on the perimeter, because to your point, if we don't sometimes put them in these articles, have them in these conversations, people really miss I think Kelsey Mitchell is a great example of that someone who is not really in these conversations and always should be even if she's not gonna win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I definitely have Kelsey Mitchell in that bucket.
Speaker 2: Also have Kelsey Plumb in that bucket. Both of them are among the.
Speaker 3: League's top five scorers, both leading their team in scoring. Both have carried their teams on their backs at different points during this season. And again, why I don't think this necessarily win. We got to give credit where credit is due, man, because otherwise, what are folks on other teams? I mean, you're obviously playing to win, but individually, in terms of your legacy, what else are you fighting for?
Speaker 1: Then? Ali Shagray, you could maybe argue Sabrina and Nascue with a team that's had John Quell out now Brianna out and keeping them in the mix.
Speaker 2: But I do think it's it's a three women race right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, And honestly, this is going to ruffle some feathers following my logic, I got Asia and Alyssa ahead of fee fian A, Lissa our neck and neck, their neck and neck.
Speaker 2: Okay, walk me through that.
Speaker 3: But if we're talking about what Asia Wilson has done again.
Speaker 2: This season, the.
Speaker 3: Las Vegas Aces were bad. Okay, we don't need to sugarcoat that they were bad until two weeks ago. Pretty much, Asia Wilson has been doing her damn thing the whole time, regardless.
Speaker 2: Of what anybody else has done.
Speaker 3: If we talk again about my approach of a player that a team would actually fall apart without, imagine the Aces without Asia Wilson this season. Yeah, they're bottom five in the league to me. And then for Alyssa the reason why this is what you were alluding to earlier. It's not flashy because she doesn't score a lot of points, because she's not putting up twenty points to night. And I've never been up a person or a player, frankly who has been point centric. Because I love to pass the ball, I love to rebound the ball, I love to do all other shit, every defense everything. Okay, I took charges, all right, I took charges and I talked a lot on Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because you were too lazy to get out of the way, and that counts for something. You didn't want to move your feet on defense, either to get in position or out of it.
Speaker 3: That's my key, okay, and it is what it is. But I put Alissa a little bit ahead of Fee because and this is this is also probably controversial. Fij just missed however many games, right, and Minnesota did perfectly fine without her. They secured a number one spot in the playoffs. Imagine again the Phoenix Murky without Alyssa Thomas ooh a.
Speaker 1: Right, And this is where the conversation comes down to is it the best player or is it the most valuable? Because to your point, so when Asia Wilson was not putting her foot on the gas like she has been, She's got eighteen straight games in double figures right now, and she's hit at least thirty points eight times in that stretch. She is going off and during that time the team has gotten significantly better. Back on July tenth, they were out of a playoff spot, sitting at nine and eleven. We were all asking how you could have that much talent on one team and not win. And then Asia sort of was like, all right, fine, let me throw you all my back again. And now fifteen and three run ten game win streak, they would be the three seed if the season ended right now, right So she has basically figured out that she needs to do more for them to win. Now, you could also make an argument that she was on a team, she was playing and they weren't good, and we're gonna take away credit for Nafisa Kalier being on a team and then being good, Like we're gonna get her credit for her not doing enough early and then turning it on later.
Speaker 3: Now, that's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying he hasn't had an MVP caliber season. I'm saying she's just missed, however many games. And I think there's also something to be said stat wise for somebody who shows up every night, every night, every night. Again, not a disrespect to Fee, it's just been the situation.
Speaker 4: But also in the game that Fee got injured, there were questions about whether Cheryl Reefs should have even kept her in the game because that was what end of the third It was like a fourth carter and they were winning guy a lot.
Speaker 2: I remember.
Speaker 4: I think it was a couple of years ago when Asia didn't win MVP and Becky Hammond got mad being like, well, I'm not keeping her in the game all the time, Like I'm not patting her stats. If I was keeping her in the game, then her stats would have been higher, and so I think it leads to one of those conversations, like the sport of basketball is at such a stats heavy conversation right now that sometimes folks aren't watching the game, you know, Like that's why you'll never hear me be like this is who deserves MVP. Like, I just don't watch the game that way. I don't watch enough of the teams that way to be so confident in who I I'm gonna pick. And so I think though means to your point, like, we see both sides of that, right, if she hadn't been playing those final minutes to maybe get those additional points, then who knows that she would have even gotten injured.
Speaker 3: And that's tough because that's one of those things that is not in her control or any player's control ever, right, Like, there are certain elements to the MVP conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna say, injuries in general, that's not in their control. And yes, of course, if somebody is out for the majority of a season, but it's seven games.
Speaker 3: It's seven games, But it matters to me. It does matter to me, And like you said earlier, there's also a matter of vibes. I don't know what it is. I just feel like AG's got a leg up. Okay now, but again, there are still, however many games left in this season. We're coming towards the end a couple of weeks now, But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Let me just give you some stats to counter the vibes, okay.
Speaker 1: Nafisa Collier's leading the league in scoring twenty three and a half points per game. She second in steals, fourth and block seven and field goal percentage night than rebounding. She's shooting almost thirty seven percent from beyond the arc and making about four or three pointers a game, so she is deadly from anywhere on the court. She is a tremendous defensive player. She is insanely efficient. If she is able to finish the season, which she'll have to up her three points, but if she can finish the season with fifty forty ninety, it would be unbelievable. There's only three players in WNBA history to average at least twenty points while shooting at least fifty percent from the field and at least thirty five percent from three with at least one attempt per game, and she would be the fourth behind just Cheryl Swoopslow and Jackson and Brienna Stewart, and each of those players won the MVB Trophy in the season that.
Speaker 2: They did that.
Speaker 1: Again, it's a stat heavy argument because of the injury stretch that makes it vibe bliss. Right now, she's one game back in, but she was thirty plus points, nine rebounds in her first game back, and get the feeling she might go on a little tear here to try to get the vibes back on her side.
Speaker 4: I want to talk for a minute about how this award is even determined. So for folks who don't know, there are basically a panel of sixty voters that are selected from both regional and national media outlets that includes writers and broadcasters. They rank five players, and then those players are assigned values. And in the same way that I think folks should be having conversations about elections in their hometowns, about jerrymandering, about how all of those things are happening, whether they're using mail in ballots or go into the polls, I want to have more of a conversation about that in the WNBA. And I'm going to point to the year twenty twenty three, and that was a year that it was a super tight race between Brianna Stewart, Elisa Thomas, and Asia Wilson, and Stewie ended up winning it because she got the most total points, but she didn't get the most first place votes.
Speaker 2: That was At.
Speaker 4: She didn't even get the most second place votes, that was Asia. She didn't get the most third place votes again, that was At. But she just accumulated the largest total number of points. In the way that the WNBA awards these points is first place gets ten points, second place gets seven, third place gets five, fourth place gets third, fifth place gets one. To me, I want to know how they came up with those, Like those values are kind of arbitrary and back in twenty twenty three, I actually ended up crunching the numbers to see, like if you were to award different points to those five ranks, would it alter the results? And I was shocked that it didn't alter them more. But if you did award first place more points, there did come a time where At would have won it over Stewie that year. So I don't know necessarily, like what's the cracked option here? I'd also be curious to see it with Like I don't know a ranked choice option, like see how that weighs out, so if somebody can get a super majority. Because it just seems weird to me that Stewie could win in a year when she still wasn't necessarily getting the most of any of those three categories, but not saying she wasn't deserving. I just thought it was an interesting little caveat on that win.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of elections could use some choice moving. Yeah, I mean, I agree, Alex.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that they have a pretty in depth system for figuring out how to a lot each you know.
Speaker 2: Are we sure? I know? Are we? Are we assuming there? You know what? I do?
Speaker 1: Assume the best far too often. It's it's useful for life, not always useful for business or otherwise. But yeah, I mean, I do think it helps revenge voting and bias voting and things like that, and helps make it so that someone who is consistently considered among the best by everyone is more likely to win, as opposed to like a bunch of people think someone and then a bunch of people don't have them anywhere on the list. It's complicated. I think you're right, Alex. Maybe we should reach out to a representative for the WNBA and ask exactly how they came up with the point system.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean, I think.
Speaker 1: We're in for a really, really fun final stretch of the season where we're going to see these players who are battling it out for MVP, and also see a bunch of teams battling it out for the playoff spots. And how will coaches factor in how long to play their stars and blowout games if there's someone who might be in the mix for MVP, or will they prioritize being healthy for the playoffs and sit them And will there be some tension between those top players and their coaches about playing time when it comes to that. So always worth keeping an eye and you'll always hear the players afterwards say the most important thing to me is the title. You could keep your MVP. But deep down, I think we all know they want to be in there, they want to be getting those stats up, So it'll be fun to watch. If you want to read more about the MVP Racelu Orlando wrote a good piece for SI dot Com about and if you Saka, you're needing to fend off Asia in the tight race and had some really good stats in there, and Shane Jackson wrote one for WNBA dot com that also has a bunch of the statistics around the players that are contending and odds.
Speaker 2: If any of y'all.
Speaker 1: Want to dabble or become a degenerate and put your entire life savings on the WNBA MVP, we wouldn't recommend it, but go for it, all right. We got to take another break, but we come back when a few turns into a good game in real life.
Speaker 2: Welcome back slices.
Speaker 1: We love that you're listening, but we want you to get in the game every day too. So here's our good game play of the day. You heard our MVP picks, well at least betion mine. Now we want to hear yours. If you had to say which player would you vote for? Hit us up good game at wondermedianetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review, y'all.
Speaker 2: It's easy.
Speaker 1: Watch Serena Williams inducting Maria Sharpova into the International Tennis Hall of Fame, rating ten out of ten Feel Good Moments review Maria Sharpova's tennis career was sort of always linked to Serena Williams. In fact, Cheripova's first of five Grand Slam victories was a Wimbledon win over Serena. But she didn't enjoy being on the winging side of that rivalry for very long, because Serena came out on top in their last eighteen meetings and twenty of twenty two meetings overall. They were pitted against each other for Shripova's entire career, So it was sort of a shock and a surprise to see Serena do the honors at the International Tennis Hall of Fame ceremony in Newport, Rhode Island on Saturday, said Serena.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: A few months ago, Maria texted me that she needed to talk. When I called her, she asked if I would introduce her into the Hall of Fame. Before she could even finish her question, I said yes loud, immediately, with my whole chest, because of course it's Maria.
Speaker 2: End quote. Serena continued quote.
Speaker 1: Marie and I were once the fiercest of rivals. We had our differences to the world. We looked miles and miles apart, but the truth is we weren't. We wanted the exact same thing at the exact same time, to be the very best. That's what made our rivalry so electric and so iconic.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: On her Instagram on Sunday, alongside photos of the two former rivals embracing, Serena wrote quote, I'm probably the last person you expected to see standing here tonight. Honestly, a few years ago I would have said the same thing, But years after getting to know her better, we now call each other friends, and when a friend calls, you answer. This is women supporting each other and respecting each other's greatness. Congratulations Maria Sharapova. It is my honor, as her former rival, her forever fan, and now her forever friend, to welcome Maria Sharapova into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: End quote. Beautiful. We love that.
Speaker 1: Now it's your turn, y'all Rate and review, scroll down, click five stars, tell us you love us, Thanks for listening. See you tomorrow. Good game, Maria and Serena. Good game, Mekka and the FISA you Semantakole?
Speaker 2: Are you a word? Talvey?
Speaker 1: Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan and Emily Rutterer. Our editors are Emily Rutter, Britney Martinez, Grace Lynch and Gianna Palmer.
Speaker 2: Our associate producer is Lucy Jones.
Speaker 1: Production assistance from Avery Loftus and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain