Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Show, Katty Armstrong and Tai and Pee.
Speaker 2: Arms and feel like I gotta wind up more for that art art on a Friday. I feel like I need more of a wind up, li' from Studio C season your Hey, dimly let room Deep with on the bowels the Armstrong e Gedddy Communications Compound and Hey y'all today Friday, Friday. Uh, we're toiling under the title of the show, get the flock out of here. Hey, that's a good one, all right if you prefer, We're going to queeze Iran.
Speaker 1: Will we enjoyed the juice?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Really happy with both.
Speaker 2: My titles this morning. Huge, Really pleased with myself. Ah, I've been one of the problems with doing this job for this many years is most of the things I say, I've said ten to fifty times.
Speaker 1: But I'm hating humanity.
Speaker 2: But here's one of the things I've said many, many times over the years. When they launched a new round of sanctions against Iran or Iraq or North Korea back in the day, when they're trying to stop them to get a nuclear weapon, which obviously didn't work. But all these different things is.
Speaker 1: If you got these, why.
Speaker 2: Didn't you do this earlier?
Speaker 1: We're at war or.
Speaker 2: This is a huge crisis and you said you're gonna punish him? What so you're holding back on the real sanctions. We're seven months into the war. Why were you holding back on some of these sanctions?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: And this does not mean your point isn't a valid one. Every sanction bruises somebody other than the person you're sanctioning, and and the stricter and harsher of the sanctions, the more bruising. There are of people who say, as I often do, hey why did I come in for a kick?
Speaker 1: And all of a sudden I get.
Speaker 2: That, But it wasn't a we're really at a point of difficulty here earlier than this seems like we were, I hear you. Anyway, So yeah, new round of sanctions, which do sound like a pretty big deal on all kinds of Well, have to play that clip of Scott Besson laying it out. This is the the strongest package package of sanctions on and biggest and strongest package of sanctions that have ever been unleashed. Economic sanctions. Oh and uh, it'll be and it'll be on every country that does business with Iran. They don't come around China, in our India, some of our friends. That sort of stuff. You got to stop doing business. That's the problem that always happens. My favorite example is always a band. When we had strong sanctions on Iraq and we ended up going to war with them and we had what do we have there? At one point one hundred thousand troops, one hundred and fifty thousand troops, France was still doing business with them behind our back to get around the sanctions because oh well, well, you know you gotta make money. Well you remember the Secretary General and his boy of the UN. The UN Secretary General and his son were doing big business and making tons of money as those sanctions were in effects as approved by the UN. So yeah, it's everybody cheats, everybody lies, everybody pursues.
Speaker 1: Their own self interest.
Speaker 2: I've got a tale of a near tragedy avoided. Oh no, this morning. So I run into work every single day. As I've mentioned many times, I've done been doing this since I was nineteen years old, my entire radio career, working morning radio for some reason I'd do it to get a heart pumping on everything like that, get jazzed up for the show. At the point that I can no longer running, I guess I'll have to call it a day. But it's not exceeded a saunter since nineteen eighty eight. I was running today. I'm wearing red Wing work boots eight seventy five classic model Steve McQueen, everyone else.
Speaker 1: Very cool, very cool boot.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I'm running in and I trip a little on a crack and a sidewalk and stumble a little bit, catch myself, but realize in the little planter thing on ground level where they've got you know, it's just like there's a tile of cement missing and there's a tree coming out of it, like they do in urban parks. But the sprinkler thing is on a metal rod, a tiny mital rod. It's like a drinking straw size, only it's a metal rod sticking up out of the ground. And I stumbled, and I'm looking right at that thing, and I thought, if I had gone down, that thing would have been paled me clear through my torso my final destination.
Speaker 1: It would have stuck clear.
Speaker 2: Out my back. I mean is long enough and pointy enough, and I just wonder, well, one that would have been the sort of story that makes national news. Sure, yeah, and I don't know if it was that.
Speaker 1: A week and a half.
Speaker 2: Two weeks ago, we had a couple of impaling stories in a row. In our Impaling Story of the Week, they come in threes, people being impaled. That would have been a lame way to go out, Jack, I know. Lame way to die is whoever's next showing up to work and sees me on the ground with that sticking out in my back, thinks well, that's not good. I should call someone. I suppose I have a horrifying story of that sort, but I'm going to withhold it, showing restraint for once in my life. No, no joke. That could have happened if I, if I'd have gone down, very easily could have impaled me. It is a tiny enough spike it would easily just go right through me. And it reminded me of this is a horrifying story of for a cup of coffee. Maybe they're still popular. I don't see them around like I used to. Uh for environmental reasons and because the humble sea turtle was dying by the millions because of straws, which turned out to be bogus. People were trying to do away with plastic straws, so one solution in California was paper straws, which are useless. Another thing was they started selling those like aluminium straws that you would wash and reuse, so you wouldn't have a blessed anyway. Remember the story is in the New York Post, of course, of a woman who had one of those aluminum straws, and she stumbled and went down through her eye socket and out her head and killed her. Oh Lord, impaled clear through her head. Wow, you have to assume God didn't want you, right, how'd your sister die?
Speaker 1: Don't worry about it. I'm not gonna tell you. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well now I really want to know.
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I'm not gonna tell you. It's just this makes me want to know more. Trust me. Sorry, Okay, let's start hurt the show officially. There is stuff to talk about today. I'm Jack Armstrong, He's Joe Getty on this. How did it already get to be frye? August twenty first, The year twenty twenty six Armstrong. You're getting we approve of this program. There's some people who just hate I know, for some reason, I enjoyed every time I say it. All right, let's begin the show now officially according to f C see rules the rags.
Speaker 1: Here we go at Mark. You bet so somebody just cut this off? Uh huh, let's cut up here. Oh that's a Minnesotan.
Speaker 2: Oh you batcha talking about anti flock camera activists getting up there and just cutting the thing down.
Speaker 1: Name, that's what it sounded like.
Speaker 2: Apparently I've never vandalized anything in my life, but you might be able to get me on board with that. Depends.
Speaker 1: That's controversial.
Speaker 2: I know it is. I don't like that. I didn't vote for that. Who nobody voted for that. We didn't have a good discussion about this. He just showed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I'm looking forward to hearing your discussion with Anastasia Boden of the Pacific Legal Foundation during our.
Speaker 1: Four of the show. Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Yeahs. I have a lovely opportunity to attend my youngest child's, who is a full grown adult now law school mock trial finals, and so I will be doing that.
Speaker 1: I'm going to miss the end of the show.
Speaker 2: I apologize deeply, humbly, and insincerely, as are you a defendant question? Oh, that'd be fun, and I will testify on my own behalf damn it. I'm an innocent be here are my words, Sarah, sit down. Trump is going to South Carolina to try to rally Lindsey Graham's sisters support, and that woman should not be a US senator. I think I agree with you, I really do. Her opponent, Ralph Norman, I don't know his agage. I don't know his act at all. Not a staunch conservative, great conservative record. He's seventy three running for a six year term. Her answer in the debate the other day is disqualifying. Yes, we'll play that later if you don't know it. We get headlines on the way we go, clips of the week, lots of stuff coming up. Stay here. We got some good audio today from crazy people that is kind of modern news. Really, it's like the modern newsflow. People say crazy things out loud on video, and then there are those of you out there who compile them various political bents or reaction to news stories or whatever that are just amazing. And we've got a lot of those today. Uh yeah, yeah, you're always concerned about nutpicking. I think in a lot of cases the nuttiness is in the philosophy and the ideas, and they are widely held. So yeah, some of that to come. I propose we just Kareene from story to story. I have so many interesting things to talk about today. I like Kareem after another careening on a Friday. Yes, yes, all right, let's begin by figuring out who's reporting what. It's the lead story with Katie Green Katie.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, starting with the Alphabet networks. CBS Iran looks to boost regional trade ties as United States turns from bombs to economic warfare. CNBC oil prices head for a second weekly rise as the United States abouts to turn up the economic pressure on Iran, and CNN. Iran condemns Trump's threat of quote economic d Day against Tehran condemns m hm.
Speaker 2: Sure, okay, they have to do this, go ahead. They have to be worried about this Iran. They have to think, oh yeah, yeah, they've already got rampant inflation, unemployment, growing discontent in the streets. But I tell you one thing about rains of terror. They work you machine gun. Forty fifty thousand people, you pull them out of hospital beds and torture them to death. Everybody hears about it. Everybody thinks, yeah, you protest. New York Times.
Speaker 3: Canada is considering United States trade deal as deadline nears.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't even talk about the Trump threat fifty percent tariff on Canadian goods, and then he backed off at five till midnight. The other night, he was up late, five minutes till midnight. The tariff is off. We've come to an agreement and no details, and nobody knows there actually was an agreement or whatever. And what we're playing ultimate hardball with is is the North American Free Trade Agreement or the successor to that that Trump himself negotiated and hailed as the best agreement in the history of agreements. But because he's Trump, because it's up for renewal, it's time to just beat the crap out of everybody else involved in the negotiation. From the Wall Street Journal, even if there are friends and allies, which I don't think is a good long term strategy, Yes, Katie.
Speaker 3: Wall Street Journal, California draws more startup investment than all other forty nine States combined.
Speaker 2: You know, if I'm gabbing news of my tout that why does California, when it ranks fiftieth almost every year in business climate and all the different other things, continue to be such a hub for the most innovative companies on Earth, you know, for decades and decades part of its momentum. I think inertia, they're here, They're in California, USA.
Speaker 3: Today, Americans are drinking less alcohol than ever before.
Speaker 2: Man, I wouldn't have predicted that. Hey, they're saying it's at a record low. We're more anxious, we're more depressed at each other's throats divided sounds like a recipe for having a couple of pops to me.
Speaker 3: Right from the Washington Post, neighbors say Gordon Ramsey's burger joint is stinking up their pricey condos. Oh my, they're referring to it as a greasy odor.
Speaker 2: They're burgers. His burgers are damn good. Oh man, Yeah, it's pricey, but that's a good burger.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: New York Post new hypoallergenic peanuts could bring the salty snacks back to airplanes and school cafeteria.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the return of the peanut to the to the flight fantastic.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'll.
Speaker 2: Be in Cleveland before no time, enjoying these peanuts. Can't serve peanuts on a plane because one guy out of fifty millions. All right, don't fly take the bus. Hey, mister peanut, I'm sorry about your terrible allergy. I seriously am, and I hope you live a long, happy life and avoid any sort of problem with it. On the other hand, give me some damn peanuts. You can't say, mister peanut. When there is a mister peanut with spin spindley legs and a top hat in a monocle, I appreciate him dressing classy even in these casual times.
Speaker 1: Well done, mister.
Speaker 2: You don't see mister Peanut just wearing his pajamas, right right, well, all right, Peanut.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Study fine, Larry Legoo, Yeah, that'll do. That's fine, Salted Sam, I don't know. You guys are the worst.
Speaker 3: Okay, study fines forty nine percent of dog owners say that their pets eat higher quality meals than they do.
Speaker 2: Wow. I've probably had periods of my life where that was true. The dog ate better this week than I did, and my wife can't cook. Whoa, whoa, Wow, this is the nineteen forties. My wife kad cook. Let me tell you really nice knowing you, Michael.
Speaker 1: What's the mic on the Old Battleax?
Speaker 2: I thought I was talking to Hansom, Holy Salted Sam. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And finally the Babylon Bee Ah sad woman's mascara not smudged enough while filming herself crying for a selfie video and now she has to start all over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding, sitting in your car or walking or whatever. God, those thing is performative, It really really is.
Speaker 1: Stop it.
Speaker 2: Had a comment on one of those stories, but don't remember what it was, unfortunately from earlier. Oh yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: We'll get track.
Speaker 2: Five minutes, got tracked by day. Yeah, I'm sure we'll get to that later. Whatever it is. We got clips of the week coming up. If you don't know what, we're referring to. Lindsey Graham, who dropped dead out of nowhere with a heart attack a while back, and his sister immediately emerged as a candidate to take his seat, which bothered me from the get go because I don't want.
Speaker 1: The ortic dissection.
Speaker 2: But you got the dead part, right, that's the bottom line, anything with your heart's a heart attack. To me, it's all the sound. His sister immediately jumps up to, well, she should be the senator, which I don't get at all, just because you have the same last name. I don't understand that at all. But to fill the seat until the election in November. Fine, yeah, okay, But immediately I remember people saying, you know, she was very close to him, and you know they were very tight, an advisor he would turn to. Clearly he was not turning to her for any advice on anything since she got asked by Taiwan and her answer was I don't really know anything about four policy. She couldn't even make up an answer, which alone is enough reason not to be a senator. You're you're not quick enough on your feet and verbal enough right here, curious and curious enough about the world. Yeah, that's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: That was a serious bloater her chances.
Speaker 2: God, I'd say Clips of the Week next, and then we'll get into the Koremi love the story from Mark Alpern's column today. Let's talk about this more later. Listen to this. There's not a single twenty twenty six candidate in any race, either party with a polster who isn't telling them to adopt an anti data center position and to accuse their opposition of being pro data center. Wow, that's the that's the best position to take, no matter what party, what your constituency, what race, right to be anti data center and it'd say the other girl, guy or girl is.
Speaker 1: For of them.
Speaker 2: I saw something similar. It's uh yeah, yeah, it's just it's obligatory. Wow, all of us sudden. So more on that to come. Got dozens of great stories to get to. But first, it's the beloved Friday tradition. Let's take von look back at the week that was. It's cow clips of the week.
Speaker 1: It's cow. They call it cow bow clips of the week. It's cow.
Speaker 2: Luigi Mangioni pleading guilty to stalking the husband and father.
Speaker 1: I shot mister Thompson in Manhattan and he died. MANI said to like breaking news the sudden death of actress Hayden Pattittier. Frank Beer, the drummer of Zizi Top, has died.
Speaker 2: The national debt hitting a staggering milestone, topping forty trillion dollars for the first time.
Speaker 1: The ro is pretty good return on investment. Back to just facts.
Speaker 2: Pretty soon I'll be declaring the foremost straight a territory of the United States. You are the best in the world in terms of the research sits you do.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to be honest to you.
Speaker 2: I'm not national security that I'm not that informed on national security. So tonight here that humanoid robot called Superman and is six and a half foot jump into the air. Now it is something the rac sure is off. As you remember, I donated the flag poles, one on each side, and this is a great pole. This is the top of the line.
Speaker 1: It's tapered.
Speaker 2: Nick Sirley has a small penis allegedly.
Speaker 1: That's so adult of you. Did you hear about this? What'd you got to today?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Because I look you just bedrodden and doom scrolled.
Speaker 1: It's also the reason I quit smoking weed.
Speaker 2: I don't understand like, there's no sexualization in a drag show.
Speaker 1: It was just people dressing up and singing.
Speaker 3: Care and cannibility circles work better than punishing people who have engaged in sexual harm to make them stop.
Speaker 2: Also, what we saw were kinds of poverty, people who are stealing things like to the base. So we imagine a future society without the nation state, right so, and without money.
Speaker 1: Socialism is more gear toward like helping the people in your you know, the governs can please Tennis.
Speaker 2: We're'm gonna say, what's the grow up? I just wanted to follow up on the period.
Speaker 1: You're a loud, boisterous person.
Speaker 2: You're faking. I trying to find out if you had so handsOn. That woman that said we envision not having a nation state all that sort of stuff, was that the chick that is mom Donnie's housing person? Is that who that was? Earth? Yeah? Oh that's say Ed's sister. Okay, gotcha. There's so many of them it's hard to keep them all straight. You envision doing away with the nations state and money? Okay, that's a reasonable position. Man, what fuck? All right, I'm gonna run on. Cats will walk upright on their back feet, and we'll all start speaking Polynesian. That is the future of America. That's what I'm bad. Yeah, this is gonna happen by twenty twenty eight. That's where we're gonna go with. We're speaking about a careening from issue to issue to issue, which we plan to do. Got a good clip from Gavin Newsom. We're gonna get to a little bit later. It's become quite a thing that they no longer use the SAT scores to qualify people to get into universities because they were racist or whatever they decided. Uh, and so they did away with it, and now we have endless universities, including a good one from Berkeley just the other day, where this professor had the guts to come out and say, look, we got to do something. I'm getting all these students they can't do basic math. I can't teach them the stuff we need to teach him here at Berkeley if they show up not being able to do basic fractions. Anyway, Gavin Newsome asked about it yesterday, and we'll play the clip a little bit later where he hums and haws it. Look, it's an issue of fairness. Show me the data. I mean, once I see the data, I'll make a decision and just won't take a stand on that. This is what a weird time to be alive. Yeah, he does not have the game he thinks he has. Plus he's so beholden to certain groups be it, you know, And that's that's very similar to the whole transgender athlete. It's a question of fairness there, but the grace of God, he just he knows he's stuck in between a rock and a hard place, the rock being the truth and the hard place being his radical supporters, or in the case of the education thing, the teachers' unions. I was in a lunch yesterday with some corporate types and one of them, throughout the question, we got into talking about politics and twenty eight and that sort of stuff, and one of them said, do you think Gavin Newsom actually believes people like him? That's an interesting question. Yeah, I think he believes people like him. But you know, I listen you like you do. I take in a ton of podcasts and punditry and all that sort of stuff. Gavin Newsom's name hasn't popped up much lately anytime they get into the who do you think is going to be the nominee in twenty eight? Lately his name hasn't popped up like there. For a while, it was always his name, and lately it has not been. And it's more AOC Kamala, Harris Shapiro those that crowd, But AOC keeps coming up over and over oh my god, please nominator anyway. I didn't mean to get off on that. Oh no, that's all right. Has struck me as so completely ridiculous in a non starter for so long, But in these weird, populous times, if the Republican involved made a misstep, that could happen. Oh, and understanding the way primaries work, right, you don't need to appeal to that many people to get the nomination in either party. Yeah, yeah, oh, you're right.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Brett Stevens, the token conservative for the New York Times, wrote a great piece about that where he said, yeah, woke one was crazy. Uh, but where's the accountability? And he goes he lists person after person after person who was ruined for saying something completely mainstream that again now you could say again and it would have no repercussions. And he makes a powerful, powerful case. I would like to hear that list. We want to be a class action. I know legally it'd be hard to get this together, but a class action among people who were victimized by the whole horrific woke apocalypse. Would this be names and stories we all remember mostly from his column and examples. Perhaps I remember several of them, but we don't have to dig into that. That would be a pretty good one. Anyway, we got a lot more on the way. We're going to get into mail bag and some of the other stories of the day, and just koreem from topic to topic. It'll be real good. Stay here.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I was just reading this article the Wall Street Journal, of which I understand about five percent about the really intricate parts of the economy and the market that most of us don't pay any attention to. Uh, and it's not good news. And it's a weird mid August. What the hell is going on? Maybe I'll get to that a little later, a little more unprecedented. That's good, right, Yeah? Yeah, super so mentioned Brett Stevens calming The New York Times about how AOC laughed off Wolk one and and he says, good for AO se acknowledging mistakes. Now, can we have some accountability for the vast damage that Woke one point zero did not to mention the damage that Woke two point oh continues to do. And he points out that it wasn't just an Orwellian linguistic fad or a tedious set of corporate training sessions and cultural sensitivity et cetera, as it was experienced by those on the wrong end of it. It was a system of enforced ideological conformity, policed by social bullying and institutional coercion or cowardice, which damaged and sometimes even ended reputations, careers, and at least one man's life. Restitution if only in the form of honest contrition and perhaps even a public apology is in order.
Speaker 1: And then he goes through.
Speaker 2: The top editor for the Philadelphia and Choir that's the big newspaper in Philly, had to resign for his job and issue a groveling apology for the sin of running an article by the paper's architecture critic with the headline buildings matter too or you know, and they're a bunch of bunch of.
Speaker 1: Examples that are just laughable.
Speaker 2: The thing that got him fired was a headline saying buildings lives matter too. No buildings matter too. Didn't even have lives in it, so no buildings matter too. At the height of George Floyd was enough to get you fired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, insane.
Speaker 2: Here's a radio side podcast host who was suspended indefinitely because he stated it's sometimes permissible for a non black person to quote a racial slur in narrow context. He didn't even use it. He just said it is permissible to use it as a if you're talking about racial slurs. And he was essentially fired for that. Wow. James Bennett, former editor of the New York Times opinion section, forced from his job after publishing an essay from a sitting senator Tom Cotton.
Speaker 1: Remember that to be right about most of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember that that was crazy. That was Tom Cotton arguing that we should put the National Guard on the streets I think, to try to calm things down. Which you don't have to agree with that, but that's perfectly reasonable to let a US senator make that case right in the New York Times. Well one more example, just because I can't resist, because I remember this at the time and still makes me insane. Jason Kilbourne, University of Illinois Chicago law professor, who was barred from campus and placed on administrative leave because he had used the first two letters I'm sorry, the first letter of two slurs in his civil procedure exam on a front the Black Law Students Association described as mental terrorism SORR. He referred to the N word, and I don't know what else. Uh, yeah, I think there was a I don't remember what the other ear so that was moving the line or the overton window from you can't say the word you need to say the N word too. You can't even say the inWORD right or even N dot dot dot. And it was a law class about a woman filing a discrimination case because somebody had dropped an nbomb on her. Did you read Harry Potter? You remember the whole Voldemort thing. They couldn't say it didn't that seem nuts? Nope, that actually happened. Is happening in the United States of America. Here's a woman railroaded out of Harvard after a TV appearance in which she said that the terms male and female were scientifically essential, even if she insisted that facts about biology shouldn't prevent us from treating people with respect. Sounds like a Nazi to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kidding, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Here's your freedom loving crazy. Yeah, oh my god, I'm so angry and to the point that walk woke two is a thing and going on right now. We've got a story later about this guy who had to leave his job after eleven years at a prestigious newspaper in Seattle first stating the truth about Sophie Cunningham and the whole trans thing and specifically teenage athletes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll read his horrific offensive words to you and let you be the judge. Here's your freedom loving quote of the day. Badly needed. So interesting backstory on this one. When Ronald Reagan lost the nomination for president to Jerry Ford in nineteen seventy six at the convention Ford one, and he gave a speech and he he said, I watched it just the day before yesterday. Oh my god, how interesting. Here's a fifty year anniversary on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Oh that's why he came up.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so Jerry Ford said, ron why didn't you come up and say if you were, he was the very greatest thing to do. This is such a good story. Oh you know, when you lose in politics, you're bitter. And they were bitter, and they hated each each other at that time, as always happens in politics, Ford and Reagan. Reagan loses to Ford barely the night that Ford's going to give the big speech at the convention. You know, hey, I'm the nominee. Reagan and Nancy and a couple other people are across the street having drinks. He has had no plan to speak, right, he was asked to speak and he said no. His wife told him no, they were open, or they weren't even going to be in the arena for this thing, right as it was going on. That's how he and then he ends up on stage given what many people call the best convention speech ever. Right in his best speech, perhaps, but so he said the obligatory kind words about Jerry Ford, but having no plan, he went into a riff about how he'd been asked.
Speaker 1: To write a letter for a time capsule.
Speaker 2: That's going to be opened in the year twenty seventy thirty six, Yeah, the three hundredth anniversary of the country. And he talks about the brainstorming he did about what to write about and the issues of the day, and how you know that probably wasn't the right a pro including nuclear warfare or nuclear weapons control. And I'll pick up his speech and this is our freedom loving quote.
Speaker 1: And it suddenly dawned on me.
Speaker 2: Those who read this letter one hundred years from now will know whether those missiles were fired. They will know whether we met our challenges, whether they will have the freedom that we have known up until now will depend on what.
Speaker 1: We do here.
Speaker 2: Well, they look back with appreciation and say thank God for those people in nineteen seventy six who headed off that loss of freedom, who kept us now one hundred years later free, who kept a world from nuclear destruction. And if we failed, they probably won't get to read the letter at all because it spoke of individual freedom, and they won't be allowed to talk of that or read of it. That notion of what will the people of one hundred years from now say about us? If that doesn't energize you just a little bit, you're a different sort of person than we are. Well, if you're a political junkie. I found this interesting because I watched it just the other day and read alone, I'm not I'm an America junkie, So don't you ruin the mood I've set. I read a long piece about it from Scott Linskim of The Dispatch.
Speaker 1: The crowd went wild.
Speaker 2: He gave the speech right after Ford gave his big expectance speech. It's a terrible idea to have anybody give a speech after the right you know who the nominee is, gives their speech. Anyway, Riggan comes out, gives a better speech. Crowd goes wild and immediately, of course people were writing and jaws were flapping about the did we nominate the right guy immediately, like within sixty seconds of the guy.
Speaker 1: Giving you what a horrible move? Yeah? Whoops ooops, Oh.
Speaker 2: Boy, mailbag, please drop us note Mailbag at Armstrong and getdy dot com.
Speaker 1: Polly writes more than Gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Last Friday, I tuned in had one of the best laughs I can remember listening to your your stuff about those outdated coffee commercials and the tab commercial.
Speaker 1: We could use a lot more of that right now.
Speaker 2: How about make that an every Friday segment and pull out old commercials to laugh at. Thank you always for what you do. Love your show. I love you more, Polly. I don't remember this at all. I'm glad they enjoyed it so much, the outdated coffee commercials where the husband says to his wife, the girls at the office know how to make coffee. But I don't remember our riffing about it. I just I don't remember it. Oh, really, wow. I'm glad we hidro one Easter. I'm glad we were funny. Oh it was hilarious. I cherished the memory yesterday. Perhaps you remember this. Yesterday we were talking about the turnaround in education among several Southern states and how blue states are ignoring it because it's politically incorrect to recognize Red.
Speaker 1: States are doing anything right, and it goes up against a lot of teachers' unions.
Speaker 2: If you missed it, for God's sake, seriously grab the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand from Thursday, August the twentieth. I think it's ours two and three. We talked about it to figure out it's well titled. But anyway, on that topic, a California public school teacher says, I agree with you regarding the state of state of schools, particularly in California at the high school level, Goodheart's laws in action graduates. Graduate rates no longer are just a measure, They're the goal. So everything is done to move the kids along, regardless of skill. One thing regarding California stats good portion of the kids who can't read. Our kids who have recently come to the US from other countries and don't speak English and in many cases weren't educated in their primary language either. These students are included in the test results that get reported, but there are signs of hope in the California district I work for teachers that all levels are offered training on teaching and reading and phonics is the core.
Speaker 1: We've already seen gains.
Speaker 2: That's good, you know, that's an interesting point and a good one, but it's also damning, just from a different direction. Yeah, I can't bring in people who don't speak English and have no education into the class with my kid and drag down the whole process for US taxpayers who want our kids educated. Yeah, gaffy, if this means that much to you that the unwashed masses can flood into the country without documentation, start ESL schools all right, fund them by the government. Course it'll turn out to be a scam too and get unionized in the rest of it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, don't drag down the English speaking kids.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculous. Wow, that's interesting. I was talking to some of the other day that grew up in a California public school and there was a big wave of immigrants came in that didn't speak English, and how every class was just undoable at that time. This would have been in the eighties, I guess. Yeah, the mayor of Sacramento tried to run us out of our careers for saying that out loud. We got a lot more in the way. If you missed a segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty