Speaker 1: My name is Klay Nukeleman. This is a production of the bear Grease podcast called The Bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast, presented by f h F Gear, American Maid, purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore.
Speaker 2: Are we recording, We are recording. Thank you, mister. See.
Speaker 1: You don't drink coffee, no, sir, Never, never like me.
Speaker 3: I tried it several times, different ways, different shapes, colors, flavors, earlanging.
Speaker 1: It didn't like it, didn't like it.
Speaker 4: Never never.
Speaker 1: Never did tobacco.
Speaker 4: Yes, I did tobacco for a while.
Speaker 1: Oh does your mom.
Speaker 4: Know you have my mom name?
Speaker 1: You quit?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I quit?
Speaker 1: Uh? You never smoked.
Speaker 5: He doesn't drink coke, don't drink soda.
Speaker 4: Well, like I said, I don't drink very many, but I drink some once in a while. If we're somewhere and the water's.
Speaker 3: Bad, then I won't drink water. So but that's what I drank, mostly water.
Speaker 5: That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: So you said right before we started, you said that you used the term that I wasn't I mean, I was mildly familiar with it. I didn't know the exact context. You said your dad made stock racks id sassafras.
Speaker 4: Wood and cucumber wood.
Speaker 1: So tell us what a stock rack is.
Speaker 3: Well, a stock rack when I was growing up was hardly anybody had any stock trailers or anything. And so I grew up on the farm and Dad would build stock racks to fit his farm trucks. And you'd take you take the lumber, and he like lightweight lumber that was tough, and sasfras was one of them.
Speaker 4: Cucumber was another one.
Speaker 3: And he had saw it down and planed it out, and then he'd build a stock rat and he'd make four sections, one on each side of the bed that went in the post holes in the style of old trucks. Most trucks don't have that anymore, like a flatbed. No, no, like a bed truck, a truck with a bed. But they had the old trucks like his old sixty four ford I grew up riding around in had four had had six holes, and it had two up front behind a cab, two in the middle, and two of it back by the back tail.
Speaker 1: Game so have been like wooden like four before he would have made.
Speaker 3: I think they were like two batoos is what they were. But he made them and then he screwed the slats to it to have a high. He wanted to make the rack if it was you know.
Speaker 1: And what would he haul in there?
Speaker 3: He hauled everything that we raised out on the farm. He hauled hogs, he hauled cattle, you know, just anything that the animal we grew. That's how he hauled them to sell them, whether we took them to the stockyards or where they saw them.
Speaker 1: So we got on this subject because you asked Bear, how big a chunk of sassafras would it take to make a bow?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Do they?
Speaker 1: Are they making bows out of sassafras. I've seen some people make them out of sas fris. It's not like a real common wood to make them out of. I'll tell you what I am curious about those. Cucumber wood. Yeah, like magnolia.
Speaker 4: I think it is a type of magnolia tree.
Speaker 1: Big leaf.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got big leaves on them and cucumbers. No, that's the name of the tree though.
Speaker 1: That's that's all I carry. Is it the one that has the big old like long leaves or are we talking about.
Speaker 3: Something it's got big leaves on it. It's got big leaves on it, but it doesn't it what's the wood like? It's well, it's it's a light wood, but it's pretty tough wood. A lot of the old meal sets used to like to get it to make flat plane lumber out of and stuff that didn't.
Speaker 1: It was a big big it gets big, it gets you know big. That's not what I'm talking I'm talking about an umbrella magnolia, which is not a cute got it.
Speaker 4: Okay, they have blooms on them, the one you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the big long leaves. But okay, you're making an elmbow. Yeah, and it's kind of been our mission to degrade elm like campaign. I'm like almost done with the bow and like it is only getting worse the far into it.
Speaker 4: Yeah and more.
Speaker 1: Well, you know this is this this show is child friendly and ultimately it's Misty Nukem approved. So I can't say the word that people call that tree, but I will spell it. They call them p I S S elms. Yeah, I see, Yeah, I haven't heard say that in school. Can we well comb mm hmm so anyway, it's not a good tree. It's I mean, it makes a halfway decent bow, but it is just the most difficult wood to work with. I've been trying to heat the top limb into just like being straight for the last I mean, that's what I've been doing the last four days. I mean like for hours a day, because you gotta let it sit to cool. So it takes a really long time and I'll heat it just like smoking hot, let it sit, come back like three hours later, take it out of the jig, and it'll just snap right back to where it was. Man, and I mean, Elm it is. And the other thing that I don't understand about it is I had this like perfect tailor on it, like the limbs bended like perfectly even, and then I just put a little bit of recurve in it, and all of a sudden, the top limb is like totally flat and the bottom limb is like real flexible. So that was probably on my end, but I'm gonna blame it on the ELM. Yeah might as well.
Speaker 4: Wood.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty pretty good topic to start off a bear greash render about, yep, So welcome to the beargeras render. We've got uh doctor, mister newcom here today. Pretty glad to see you. We got Mo Shepherd. Mo longtime friend of mine, biggest hillbilly I know. And so that's why he's you didn't know, Well, now now I actually learned a minute ago. You were. You were in the eighties. Tell me the story about your potential profession.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I was twenty, in my early twenties. I don't remember the exact age, but it was in the early eighties. I had the opportunity. At the time, I was working with the US for Service, and I had the opportunity to to expand my career because I helped some game ball just with the Gaming Fish do some bear study on a bear den and stuff. And when we got through then I kind of became friends with her and they said you'd be good at this type of stuff. I said, work this kind of stuff. They working with the game Fish said you are to think about being a warden, and it got me interested. So I went through the whole process of.
Speaker 4: Doing it.
Speaker 3: I got in the process, I got letters of recommendation sent in for me, I got the paperwork all done, and I was accepted and I was supposed to go to the Mayflower Academy down in Arkansas down here to start.
Speaker 4: The police part of it, the candy part of law enforcement part of it.
Speaker 3: I was around two weeks of it and I got a call from the Game and Fish and they said, we've got bad news for you. And I said what And they said, well, said, our governor has just issue.
Speaker 4: To deal and he says that we was Bill Clinton? Who was Bill Clinton? And he said we will have it.
Speaker 3: Nobody working as a game warden or biologist or anything through the Game and Fish that doesn't have a four.
Speaker 4: Year college degree and I didn't have. I have a remotech degree. So that put a stop to it, and I never pursued it any far weak.
Speaker 1: All that Hill Billy prejudiced, as as doctor Brooks Levin said that part of you know, having a regional dialect, and specifically the dialect of the ozark and Appalachians typically is associated with lack of education. So here we have a man fully qualified that can't get a job after he applied for it to Bill the number one he'll Billy man, I told, I said, I don't know if me and you would could have been friends, if you'd have been a game Morton, it was a joke. We laughed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we laughed about it.
Speaker 1: It was funny the first time said it Mo. Good to see it. Thanks for that was good. That was good. We've got Josh Spilmaker, who was on the Bear Grease podcast my crowning moment, yeah, account as a feature guest, and Bear John Newcomb also my debut on the Official Bear Was it for real?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: I never I've never been on the main podcast.
Speaker 4: He's been on several renders they hurt the most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, now most been on there so many times he can't even count.
Speaker 4: I've only got fingers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then we have Colby morehead of Bear Hunting Magazine, just so everybody knows a little bit of the backstory. I you know, it's only been four years, I guess since I was. I did Bear Hunting Magazine for for an eight year period and Kolbe worked for me. Moved up from Texas to Arkansas, and long before I had any knowledge of that I was gonna be working for Meat Eater. Kobe worked for Bear Hunting Magazine, and then when I left and went to Meat Eater, Colby completely took over the magazine. It's his business. So you've been running it now for three years years? Yeah, three years, wasn't it. Yeah, I turned to a dog kennel. I think that was my idea, the dog kentle Yeah, okay, it turned out nice though.
Speaker 4: Look out, well Bear Hunt magazine is doing now.
Speaker 1: It's doing great. Yeah yeah, yeah under.
Speaker 5: The leadership, especially the last three years.
Speaker 6: It was crazy. I bought the magazine and I got married a week and a half later. Like big just kicked on all the changes.
Speaker 1: Picked up on it. Hey show us that bear, so we're gonna we're gonna score a bear real quick. So this bear was a big bear. Yeah, you weren't able to weigh.
Speaker 6: We had to pack it out. But oh it was well. I was guessing four fifty. But after seeing a bear I got in Saskatchewan this year, he was a lot bigger than that one. Like the one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we need, uh, we need something to set this up, that saskatchwe bear.
Speaker 1: Wait, we'll put it on the saddle. We'll put it on the saddle. So when you score a bear, you're you're getting h You're getting you're getting two measurements. You're you're measuring the longest distance between the this occipital bone and then the usually the front teeth, Like if the bear didn't have teeth, you would just measure whatever's the furthest out front. So you're taking that measurement, and then you're measuring in between what they call the zygomatic arches. So it's just two measurements. And now what the reason we got I got interested in scoring this bear is that this was a huge bear. And I would if you'd have said cloud killed at four and fifty pounds bear, I would have said guaranteed over nineteen. Yeah, and we'll see. So this is what they use at Boon and Crockett to caliper measure bears. They also have a bear box that's actually better than these. Is that a Kansas bear? Yeah, I put it right. Get that stretched out for me, Kobe, so we can So we're we're we're just measuring the bear. I've got these big calipers and I'm getting them measured, getting them for those in the audience here.
Speaker 4: He's using calipers and then using an old war out tape measures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Okay, we're gonna call that the length. So remember this number. We're gonna go by sixteenths, So it's eleven and oh goodness, gracious tough man, three little marks, eight ten, six, ten, sixteenths. And you don't you don't reduce the fraction? Am I? Right? Coby? Is that eleven and ten sixteen? I think so it's one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight nine ten. We're gonna call it eleven, eleven and eleven sixteenths. Okay. And then on the zygomatic arch bear skulls, there's there's a big debate in the bear scoring world of do bear skulls get bigger as a bear gets bigger? You know, like they definitely grow, like it takes them a long time to mature. But I've never found an academic source or just somebody that really knew that wasn't anecdotal. Like I've got an opinion, but I have nothing to back it. But like I think, once they get about six years old, the skull doesn't really get any bigger. It would be like does your head get bigger after you're twenty five years old? Like does your face get bigger?
Speaker 6: My forehead?
Speaker 1: So is your head gotten bigger?
Speaker 2: Big?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because all the big bucks.
Speaker 4: You've killed or a big bears and everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought for a minute, you're being serious, It's like, really your hat size has changed. Okay, there's the zygomatic arches because you might kill a really old bear. We're gonna call that six in eight sixteenths.
Speaker 4: So do the math eighteen and eleven and ten eight?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 4: That's just what I went through my head. See how close I was it was?
Speaker 1: It was what it was eleven and eleven sixteenths plus eight five eight, but I think it eight eighteen I think be eight and the a little over that eighteen?
Speaker 2: What was what was the second measurement?
Speaker 1: What was six eight sixteenths? Wait a minute, calculator. So wow, we're just like, I think this is rivating podcast material for all you adiout that sixteen eighteen and three sixteenth Okay, So that really surprises me. I think that that was a I mean a mature board. It's not like a juvenile, but not a real old one young and it didn't have a big skull and a lot of times too, we've not got the tooth age back on the spare, but the a unger bear has a real slick skull, and one that is older just has a lot of a lot of like it almost looks like a coral reef on its head. And yeah, it's got.
Speaker 5: Kind of like what it looks like inside.
Speaker 1: Sinuses. At least that's wild, that's cool.
Speaker 6: It was the bear that I'm working three.
Speaker 1: Sixteenths okay, eighteen three sixteen.
Speaker 2: Sharp on the top.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that he's nineteen a marker of some.
Speaker 1: Agent young and twenty good question. And twenty is the minimum for Boone and Crockett. Twenty one is the minimum for all time. So Boone and Crockett has when you hear somebody say that's a Boon and Crockett deer, that's a Boon and Crockett bear. That the story is actually a little bit more complex than that because Boone Crockett has two record books. They have the three year record Book, which the minimum is lower, and that means every three years they make a record book, they print a book. I've got one in here somewhere, and if you kill a bear over twenty inches during that three year period, your name will appear in the record books. Those who kill a bear that scores twenty one is in the all time record books, which means if you had killed a bear in the nineteen nineties that scored over twenty one inches, which would have just really been something. It would it would remain in every single record book. So I killed a bear in twenty fifteen that scored twenty and eight sixteenths. It was in that one book, but it won't be in all the rest of them. Does that make sense? So every animal, every Boon and Crockett animal, actually has a all time record and the minimum Boon and Crockett entry. And so you hear people throw around all the time one hundred and seventy inch typical white tail as a Boon and Crockett like guys constantly say, oh, that's a booner. One seventy. Actually one sixty is a booner because one sixty gets you in the three year period record book. But but but one seventy is what people picked up. Yeah, yes, and and with with white tailed deer. And this is another thing that you know, it's just like things change in the in kind of like the working vocabulary of all this stuff is that the Boon and Crockett like you might kill a non typical buck that scored one seventy and you'd be like, man, I killed a booner. People would say that like NonStop but the Boon and Crockett minimum for a non typical is actually I'm pretty sure it's one eighty five. It's been a long time since I've even looked at it. I thought, is it one five? Probably, you're right, I think in the in the that's all time. I think the other one is one eighty five. The other entry anyway, where you wild the Boon.
Speaker 5: And Crockett deer, No, no, no, no Boot and Crockett, No boot Crockett anything.
Speaker 1: The only the only animal I ever killed that scored Boon and Crocket minimum was a bear.
Speaker 5: So you have killed a boot and Crocket bear. I have minimum, but not all.
Speaker 1: Time twenty and eight sixteens.
Speaker 2: You would have needed twenty one to be able. Yeah, that's a big bear.
Speaker 1: That's you could You could kill one hundred bears and not kill a boot and Crocket bear. Have you ever killed one over? You've killed one over?
Speaker 4: Twenty had No, That's why I was telling you.
Speaker 3: I've killed eleven bears and my base one was nineteen and fourteen sixteens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to be precise on the measurement.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's something about those high nineteens that I mean, that's a big bear. High in nineteens, and it's it's like when you get one over twenty, like you've got a big one anywhere in the any anywhere in the country.
Speaker 2: Booon and Crockett Brown trouts thirty inches.
Speaker 1: Brown is such a real thing. No, No, is there a scoring system for fish. No, And if there was, we wouldn't.
Speaker 6: Talk to you.
Speaker 1: It would just be way too boring.
Speaker 4: Poundage kind of like if you're overweight. So yeah, yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Well, uh so this week's episode was quite a bit different, quite a bit different. Were you surprised when you heard it? Crank up?
Speaker 2: Mo?
Speaker 1: Could you? Did you pick up that? Like, wait a minute, real quickly?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 3: It was totally different from most anything that you had put out on the Bearers podcast.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, that makes sense kind of what we were doing though. Yeah, Like it was kind of like, oh, this is gonna be fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, especially after the office references.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I was looking missing.
Speaker 1: I was proud of me. Yeah, I was mixing. You're mixing a lot online reality with like reality, so probably people are like really confused. Yeah, I actually know. Robert Morgan, the famous Boon biographer who actually is a professor at Cornell uh huh who. When I was with him, was very tempted to ask him if he knew and Bernard, which I think would.
Speaker 2: If he would have caught the reference at all.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think he would have, and I don't know he Maybe he may have been more like pop culture savvy than I thought, but I don't think so. Robert Morgan is pretty pretty He's pretty pretty dialed into what he does.
Speaker 2: I thought it was great. I really enjoyed it. I felt felt like it was I had the right amount of of content that was educational, but at the same time it was it was a pretty fun episode.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, I don't think Cornell is going to be really sought after as a destination school now.
Speaker 1: I like, hey, Bear, Grease, don't mention our name anymore.
Speaker 6: They were a little rough on guy from Wisconsin Chester.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I can't get off this this uh, this Office reference. I wonder if there you know, there's conspiracy theories about how all the underground channels of like big business, big government, Hollywood works. If I would have been the maker of the Office, I would have put out a bid to schools across the country and say we're going to use this the name of this school for the next ten years and ten seasons.
Speaker 2: That's right because there is no bad publicity. I mean, it's still publicity.
Speaker 1: Oh. I wouldn't even know what Cornell was if it wasn't for.
Speaker 5: The office was thinking. I don't think when they filmed that originally that the thought was this is going to be a huge success that can go on for ten seasons. I don't think that that was the the mindset. I do not think.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason I bring it up is, uh, I'm now putting out a bid for a fictitious college that we're going to use in all Burgers episodes.
Speaker 5: I think what you really want to do is put out a bid for it. Honorary doctorate.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, the first school to give you an honorary doctorate will be there what you're looking for.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure we'll have too many bites on that, but uh.
Speaker 5: Maybe, well shoot, I wish I wish rich Mountain. If there's a like I would like for it to be like uh.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, for sure the Arkansas Razorbacks will be like number one pick, but it could be like the West Virginia Mountaineers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I was in Bozeman, Montana last week, and I talked to a bunch of students from Montana State University, the Bobcats. They've got it going on there, those guys.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Well, we talked to school pride.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Surprisingly, they've got a pretty good football team.
Speaker 5: Coach.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know the answer to that, but we had a couple of young young ladies, students like trying to recruit our eighteen year old daughter to go to school there and be a be a ski instructor. Also, oh wow, yeah, but a lot of school probably they were really proud of their school.
Speaker 1: M hmm. Well, this is Brooks Blevins was on. In the first three or four Beargrease podcast, Brooks Blevins was on it. He was on the Death of a Bear Hunter podcast, which was which was really great. And since that time, Brooks has been on multiple times on bear Grease and it's kind of become a hero of the Bear Grease podcast. Misty, what what I think we're past the football coach?
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, it definitely is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I mean it definitely just moved on.
Speaker 5: You should look them up.
Speaker 1: Famous coach for the Bozeman Montesgnet for his Yeah, he's a guy with all the one liners.
Speaker 5: Yeah, urrageous things he says in press conferences. And I almost had it. I was almost there and I got called out getting in class for this is the kind of suffactually happened to me all the time. I would get interested by something someone would say, and I would kind of go on a tangent with that, and then I would get called out. I don't like it when people do that. I don't like it when professors realize that you're not paying attention and then call you out to make you feel them. And it's like, and I know i'd do it too to students, like just to get there, I'd like to do to me when you were sleeping in my class.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Wow, Wow, this is getting a little too real here. Person will have a conversation afterwards.
Speaker 5: About I don't know that Bear ever actually slept in class, but he definitely, definitely sometimes would turn it. You knew if you had Bear's attention or not. If you didn't, he would be like a total space cadet, staring out the window like not even.
Speaker 2: Your dreaming of the outdoors.
Speaker 5: He probably was and I would say, hey, Bear, what do you think about that? He'd be like, he wouldn't even lie, he'd just be like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I did that all the time when I was in school. And look at me now, look at Mo.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I could turn out like Mo, i'd be pretty.
Speaker 5: You'd be good, You'd be good. M m hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, who what what what stood out to you in the podcast? Bear you go first?
Speaker 6: Like what?
Speaker 1: Just what part of it stood out? The biggest thing, The thing that I thought was most interesting was what he said at the beginning about how like our dialect and the way that we talk is influenced by like the media and the things that we consume. Yeah. I would have never really thought about that, but I mean, like it, you know, like just yeah, it makes sense just that like if you the people who are kind of like, you know, isolated from any of that will still have like really strong dialect and accents and stuff, but like now it's kind of becoming a little more neutralized, just because we all watched the same stuff here, the same voices. Yeah, but I thought that was one really interesting point. The other one I learned a lot of stuff that a lot of things that I say that I didn't really realize were like specific to where we live, Like like stob. I thought that was just something everyone would have said, like a stob. But you know, he said that was something that was kind of specific to I didn't understand that he was he was saying the stob was was it was like a stick that you would hold, right, Yep, he used it like the He talked about the stick. But he also talked about like you Mo over Field and you have.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess that's a question I would have was he's saying that other people don't say that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he would that. He did say that, and he's he he mentioned Billy Bob Thornton.
Speaker 2: Now I've got some questions.
Speaker 5: Hatfield. He went to second grade in Hatfield, Hatfield, Arkansas.
Speaker 1: Let's let Bear finish his statements. Well, that was pretty much. It just that our you know, dialect is kind of becoming a little more neutralized. I think it's becoming a lot more especially when you think about like television's hit American Homes in the nineteen fifties. Probably MO is that right.
Speaker 3: I remember when I was old enough to know what a TV was. We we just got one I know, we hadn't had it very long. I remember you were born in nineteen sixties sixty, but.
Speaker 4: We lived way out in the middle of Yonder.
Speaker 5: It really did.
Speaker 1: Here's an example. Whenever we went to Tennessee, there was like it was kind of this like really small pocket that I don't think they would have really like I don't think any of them would have been on like social media and or anything. I mean, they all had televisions in their houses, but like overall, it was kind of like a somewhat isolated pocket. And their accents were like extremely thick. Yeah, and they used all sorts of different words that like like I've growing up kind of you know here in a lot of hillbilly dialect. But they were on a completely different level. They were speaking a different language just about.
Speaker 2: Where as the locals say, you ever noticed someone from Tennessee always calls the state Tennessee Tennessee Tennessee have differentis just like Chester says Wisconsin Wisconsin. They don't say. They don't say Wisconsin. It's not w I s Hyphenson. They say w I s k O n C whisk onnsen Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I wonder I think about the speed you know over the last in one of our classes that we talk about language and dialects, and you think about like things people used to travel by horse, and then they traveled by train, and then they traveled by car, and they traveled by plane and all of that like cuts the distance between places. The time space distances is a lot smaller. And then and you see that same trend in social media because there was the radio and that kind of introduces neutralized tone to everyone, and then there was our dialect exposed people to different dialects TV. But then with social media, I mean that's like so fast and so things things have changed. I think it would be very interesting to look at at the difference. We give the kids at school. In one of our classes where we talk about dialect, they take this test that the New York Times does and you can take it for free as long as you create an account, like a free account, but it predicts it. It shows you like a heat met No, I don't, it's and it's a f I didn't just sell it. I was to say it was free, but well, I I know that you have to log in, you have to create an account. I mean that was the reason I said that because I used to. When I first started giving it to kids, they didn't have to have an account, and now they do, but it's free.
Speaker 4: And so anyway, such thing as log in something I know, yeah, build log rounds and then made a hog ban at it.
Speaker 5: So you take this test and it tells you it predicts where you're at based off of I think twenty one words, and so one of them is, what is a what is a dark carbonated beverage? What would you call that?
Speaker 1: Coke?
Speaker 5: I would call whether it's a doctor pepper or a diet coke, I would call it a coke. And Josh, what would you call it?
Speaker 2: I used to call it a coke, and I everybody would always you know, when I would go north, they'd say coke because they call it a north. They call it a pop, right, and I call it a soda now and.
Speaker 5: Some people call it soda, so soda pop and then and then and those are your offers.
Speaker 1: What would you call it?
Speaker 7: Mo?
Speaker 4: A dark something dark like a carb like a or you call it coke?
Speaker 2: What you call it coke?
Speaker 6: A soda? Water?
Speaker 5: What would you call it? If I said, do you want to drink? And I had a lot of stuff in the in the ice chest.
Speaker 1: Or if you said you can have tea milk, or and you.
Speaker 5: Had both doctor pepper and coke, what would you say.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't like it one the a whole lot, but I'd probably say just give me a coke.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Yeah, he answered, yeah, I mean a coke. Would mean like, well, what kind of coke do you want? Well, I want a sprout?
Speaker 4: Yeah, give me a sprout. To give me a doctor pepper.
Speaker 2: Yea of those carbonators I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Growing up, we went down the old stoic combs down there and they had the old bottles you pulled out of the machines like a nickel in there and opened the door and pulled it out. And we when we was going to go down there, if Dad took us down there, we'd say, Dad, can we get a coke while we're down there?
Speaker 4: I got an orange grave. He just told me you want to come.
Speaker 5: And that's the way. That's what we would call it as well. On the test Okay, the big the large cargo vehicles that drive on the interstate that have eighteen wheels, what would you call that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of different words.
Speaker 5: What would you call it?
Speaker 1: Well, you know what I think.
Speaker 5: Wheeler eighteen wheeler. Would you even call it a big grig?
Speaker 6: Yep?
Speaker 2: Those would be tractor trailer.
Speaker 5: Attractor trailer. So those are your options or I have no words?
Speaker 4: Always heard him called semi.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a person who defends someone? Uh? Would you who who present someone in a legal proceeding? Would you call that? Would the way you pronounced that word? Would it rhyme with saw your are toy? Would it be a lawyer or lawyer?
Speaker 2: Lawyer, lawyer?
Speaker 5: So I would I would say lawyer, lawyer, lawyer, but a lawyer. Well, if there's not an answer, it just depends on where you're from. Did you hear what Josha said?
Speaker 2: A lawyer, lawyer, lawyer?
Speaker 5: He that's lloy like soy yeah, and I say raise he was raised by Yankee?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was raised by I was raised by Yankee in the South. That's what really messed me up.
Speaker 1: So what did this reveal?
Speaker 5: Just where you were from?
Speaker 1: Like, so, what where did the students show where they were from?
Speaker 5: Well, my students are from all over, so usually it shows from all over.
Speaker 2: It was pretty accurate.
Speaker 5: It was pretty accurate. But I've noticed over the last five years a big difference. It's not as accurate as it used to be, and it's more centralized. It's it's super interesting to me, and because used to the kids that were raised in the South like that, that hit pretty hard. And I think part of it is that people are getting married from further apart, you know, so you have a mom from one state and a dad from another. People aren't living as close to their grandparents. So a lot of people would say that's right for my grandparents, that's where they grew up, and that's where my mom grew up. But I was born in Dallas and that's not how we and I have taken on the Dallas So it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Brooks said that linguists believe believe that dialects are going to continue, because there's been people that have said that they're going to die out. But it's hard for me to not believe that they're going to die out because there's so much going to Yeah, yeah, it's right, because now maybe they'll just change, But like it feels like dialects are dying off just because, like Bear said, YouTube and television and podcasts, and it's not a conscious decision. Very very little of it. I think it's conscious some of it is. But you know, like when Misty asked me what I guarantee you coming out of my hometown at age eighteen, if you would have asked me what a semi truck was, I would have had one answer, yeah, just like this is what it is. And I actually can't remember now. I would just equally call it a semi truck or eighteen wheeler, you know, And I don't point, being I'm so deep into the woods now, I don't really remember exactly probably what my grandpa would have called them. I think now Moe's giving me a tip off him saying semi Probably that's probably what I would have originally said.
Speaker 4: That's all I ever heard him call when I was growing up, semis.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I wonder too about like about where he's talking about. There's not great internet coverage there, so they don't have access to just scroll all the time as easy as maybe someone who has. I think there's some parts of the world that are kind of isolated, not just geographically, but to a certain extent still from not from the Internet as a whole, but from easy access to the Internet at all times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Internet ruins everything.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, the truth is dialect is not. I mean, Gary Nucom. We grew up in rural Arkansas, and my dad was adamant about us having good grammar. I mean, and I'm not saying I necessarily have good grammar, but I but if we we would come home and use double negatives or say, just use what might be typical of my peers in rural Arkansas. He I mean, from the time we were first graders, he was like, nope, because he wanted us to sound more educated, you know, And yeah he did because you know, he was born in rural Arkansas, became a banker, was in the professional world. And so I think that track happens quite a bit too, where people try to kind of mask, not mask because it's not like it was a moral question of this was good or bad. But you know, he kind of shaped the way that we that we spoken said stuff.
Speaker 5: And the truth is it's really hard to change that. Like when you're from a school's perspective, we test kids on spelling, we test kids on writing, on reading, on grammar, and I'll just be honest, if your grammar, I think is one of the hardest things to change. You can. You can teach kids to do algebra. Yeah, that's not something any of them have ever heard at home. Everybody's learning that at school, and you can teach that. Grammar is really tough to change because it's the voice in their head in those however they grew up in those first five years, that's the voice in their head. And you can be extremely intelligent, but just raised in an environment that did use non typical grammatical structures and come into a school and that's just those first five years. That's when you learn language, and it's it's tough. Yeah, it can be done, but it is super cool.
Speaker 1: There were well, Josh, I'm afraid I'm gonna get into your questions.
Speaker 2: I'm afraid you are too.
Speaker 1: Okay, well let's start. Let's start, let's do let's do our trivia. Okay, get your get your trivia behind there, all right, So this is bear Grease Trivia and I'll be playing.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like I'm a subject matter expert on this. It's not like Osceola where I was the one doing all this stuff. This was kind of just doctor Brevin's talking.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So I'm in it.
Speaker 2: Okay, is everyone ready? Keep score on your board. I will be the judge, jury, and executioner of whether or not you're your answer is correct?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Question number one, what European region is credited with the majority of influence of the Uplands South dialect? And there's a couple of different answers. I'm willing to to take. Take the general idea.
Speaker 1: Do you know what?
Speaker 4: Okay, you think?
Speaker 2: Everybody? Everybody ready? Okay, Clay are misty. We're gonna start with you. Scotland, Ireland. Okay, mo, what do you got?
Speaker 4: I put down Norway, Norway.
Speaker 2: Bear, Scott's Irish, turn your turn, Gaelic, Clay, Ulster, Scott Scotland. That is correct. Actually the Scotch Irish or Northern Ireland is where the majority of the Upland South dialect. Now there are.
Speaker 4: That words coming from north.
Speaker 2: They talk about some words coming from that.
Speaker 1: I'm curious to see what art you come up with this time.
Speaker 2: I'm working on it, okay, which to me, I had never really thought about that. I assumed that, like the the Upland South dialect, had just been something that had evolved in America. I don't think I had ever put together that it was actually had deeper roots than.
Speaker 4: That back boat.
Speaker 1: Do you know where your family came from, like the Shepherds came from when they originally Yeah, like what country? I bet they were Scottish?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure Scottish or Irish? I mean shepherd.
Speaker 4: I think there was some some Scottish that come from overseas.
Speaker 5: And and.
Speaker 3: Who was it one of my I think was my great great grandma. Maybe she come on a boat across the ocean from Europe. But I don't know which country it was.
Speaker 1: And and I bet money, I bet money it's it's Scottish or Scottish.
Speaker 4: I know it was Europe. I just don't know which country for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I had to guess he's probably Irish based on the hair color. Maybe. Well I've said this so many times, but what's cool about Mo? There's a few things cool about Mo. I mean not that many, but uh one or one of them. One of them is that his his family homesteaded over here in the Ozarks. And uh, you know, your fifth great grandfather.
Speaker 3: My great great grandfather and his brother came up rafts up the Mississippi from Alabama, came up the Arkansas River, got on the Frog Bayou on the rafts and and the winner probably three quarters of a mile or mile from where I live at now. And then one of them settled there and in that area, which is the Frog Bayou. And then they moved on up the Frog Byo just a little ways and found a spring up there which was called Shepherd Springs, he said there. Both of them settled there for a while and got their families. And then my great great grandfather moved on up into the mountains up up what's called Shepherd Mountain now, and that's where his home up there, and that's where I was born and settled there in the late eighteen forties, early eighteen fifties. Yeah, and then he was killed during the Civil War on that mountain.
Speaker 1: Oh well, yeah, that's really cool. So you can look on a map and find Shepherd Mountain up there.
Speaker 2: Okay. Question number two, this is a question about doctor Brooks Blevins. What county in Arkansas is doctor Blevins from? This is a multiple choice.
Speaker 6: Do I get double? If I get it right.
Speaker 2: Now, you don't Ozark, Newton, Izard or Baxter.
Speaker 5: That's what I think too.
Speaker 2: We're going to start with Bear on this one.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say Newton.
Speaker 2: Okay, Colby Wizard, Hazards lizardzard. The correct answer is izard County.
Speaker 5: Can we pause right there and just acknowledge that there are probably far more words than you would think that rhyme with izard gizzard lizard wizard. One night we played a school called Izard County, and I was right by doctor Blevins and we were talking about they really missed it by not naming their mascot the lizards lizards, and I was like, wizards. It's incredible. So many names came up of optional mascots.
Speaker 2: Very good. You guys did excellent on that one.
Speaker 5: Oh look at me rocking and rolling today.
Speaker 1: Question number three, maybe we could have a few more questions relevant to the actual content. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: Question number three According to doctor Blevin's what is the meaning of peculiar grammatical features? What is the meaning of that term meaning? I can't even say that peculiar grammatical features?
Speaker 1: I remember?
Speaker 4: What does that?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Just in general? Hold on, don't don't show everybody, I mean talking about it. Okay, We're gonna start with Colby Boom big question. Mark Clay says bad grammar. Missy says bad grammar would have bad language, bad language, bad bad grammar. The correct answer is.
Speaker 4: Bad bad language kind of just gets it right.
Speaker 2: That peculiar grammatical features literally just means you have bad.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Coolby What stood out to you in the podcast was anything? What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 6: Uh? Since you're yeah, you know, I uh that aspect of it disappearing, like the different dialects. I was just thinking I saw something the other day where there was a mom in England and her kid has been watching like Miss Rachel the like popular kids, you know, a thing on on YouTube, and uh, her kid has an English accent, you know, like an American accent. She's like, we're in England and she sounds like an American? What's the deal? And so I was like thinking about those types of extremes, And then I thought I was pretty country like until I heard some of the stuff that he was he was saying. I was like, I've heard it, but it didn't like yeah, yeah, okay, carry on.
Speaker 2: Question number four, what word did Doctor Blevin's grandparents use for a bag or sack?
Speaker 1: I never I'd never heard this one. Did you heard it?
Speaker 6: Mo?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir?
Speaker 1: For real?
Speaker 4: Yeah? When I was growing up.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, I've never heard it before.
Speaker 6: I don't know how to spell it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start with the sin to be doctor Clay nukem poke, poke, misty poke, the longer poke, that's poke, like what you eat in white. I'm just kidding, mo.
Speaker 4: I think we'll get those little pigs out of the pen. We're gonna put them in a poke and carry them over in another pan.
Speaker 2: All right, poke poke, and Kolby writes the French version.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, I wouldn't contact answers poke excellent poke.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I never heard that one either. Yeah, i'd never heard it.
Speaker 2: I had heard it, but I I don't think I knew what it meant. Like i'd heard someone say put that in a poke, and I was like, I don't know if that is. I think I think my my wife's grandmother used to say that, Yeah, poke, Grandpa Oklahoma.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say. I think. I think we've used it whenever we're shooting. It's like going to give it a poke, but different context, different poke, different poke.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is something we've talked about already. But I'll give you credit for it if you know name one of the two words that doctor Blevin's references from the nineteen ninety six movie sling Blade starring Billy Bob Thornton. There were two words that he mentioned from.
Speaker 6: The US.
Speaker 1: Moe. Uh, I'm gonna ask you as soon as we get this one, what's your what you thought, what stood out to you most? And if there's any peculiar words that you would added to doctor Blevins. But let's go ahead and do this one.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we're gonna again. Stob yep stop stob stop stop. Anybody remember the other one that he said.
Speaker 1: I couldn't remember.
Speaker 2: When he calls, when he picks up and calls nine to one one one, he says, to send send a hearst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's it supposed to be?
Speaker 2: It's a hearse. Hearse is a is a type of vehicle. But what we primarily use for funerals now to carry a cast. They used to be they used to be used for ambulances. And it's h E A r s E hearse. That's the actual that's the actual word. Well award hirsh hirsh. Yeah, it's he says hurst. And that's one of the things that he mentioned that I thought, if you had asked me how to.
Speaker 1: Spell that, I would have spelled it h E r s t A t r.
Speaker 4: I've always heard h A r s e is the.
Speaker 1: That I'd like to hear from somebody up up somewhere else that.
Speaker 2: Say it hearst aharset.
Speaker 5: I feel like in the Spelling Bee we were asked to spell hurst.
Speaker 8: Maybe in like the half Field Spelling Bee. Don't is anything your grandparents said that you can a r c.
Speaker 2: According to the Almighty Wikipedia, the word is h A r s.
Speaker 1: E hearset urse.
Speaker 3: I don't know really about any particular word, but there's a lot of words that I probably say that I learned from them them, like learn, learned, learned, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just this way. I know a lot of words that had tea's on the end of them that don't have t's on the end of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did your family say let me learn you? Or did they say let me teach you?
Speaker 4: They didn't, They didn't learn me nothing.
Speaker 5: What about cleaning your hands? How would y'all if if someone said go take care of your hands? What would they say?
Speaker 4: Go worsh up?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I expected worsh yeah. Yeah. That that would be very common were down here.
Speaker 5: That's my great grandparents.
Speaker 1: See, and that's the way that Gary wouldn't have we would have been not allowed to.
Speaker 4: Allowed to say that.
Speaker 1: But like everybody went to school with said worsh hands. One thing, uh, we were talking about. So in the Burgreas Hall of Fame, one of the original members of the Burgers Hall of Fame Hall of Fame, Aura Lee Province Moe introduced me to our years and years ago and uh, because or had killed some big deer. And in his the way I was introduced to him was his name was or or as in the same the same.
Speaker 4: Or even spelled it O r e E when he had write it down, even though.
Speaker 2: Question typically done to the name to a name the ends in a question got any that will just make that for everybody.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody would have know that. Well, let me tell a story about or.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: His name is Aura, and uh, he he told me he uh he called Oklahoma Oklahoma. He did it actually on on the podcast podcast. He called it Oklahoma because and it's just like his name, I mean, it's the same, the same thing that he was using his name for Oklahoma Oakrey Or. Now you said you had some ants that had the last name A.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I had had two aunts.
Speaker 3: One was that they had the same name, and we called them both Edney and Edney. Ain't Edney, you know, but they were two different ants. And their names were E d n A Edna. It was Edna, but we called them aunt Edney and Edney and Edney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know that just dawn on me.
Speaker 2: My my wife's grandmother. Her name was oma O m A and they always called.
Speaker 1: Her Omi Omi.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, I remember uh had a province and she went by was Omi. I heard ori province say that he clumb a tree. Clumb clumb. Now that's a pretty good word. I've heard that because climb climb, I mean there's a difference between.
Speaker 4: Make difference in climbing and climb up something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a good word. I clumb a tree. But I'll tell you where I heard a young man say that. Was up in central Missouri. My my, uh, my buddy, Quentin Rambo is his name? Young guy like probably yeah, his name is Quentin Rambo and uh and he he was just in average conversation. One time I heard him say something clumb the fence or clumb a tree, can't remember. And I remember being keyed in and like, really, clumb.
Speaker 2: What do you call the states?
Speaker 4: What do I call?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 2: What do you call the state that's just north of US?
Speaker 4: Missouri?
Speaker 2: You say Missouri?
Speaker 1: Missouri?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I hear a lot of people call it Missouri.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just always called it Missouri Missouri because I got a lot of kin folks live up there Missouri. When they get on to me, if I don't.
Speaker 2: Say, okay, all right, what was the name doctor Blevins used for a cicada?
Speaker 1: Mmmm?
Speaker 4: Same thing I call him.
Speaker 2: I'd never heard that before.
Speaker 4: I used to catch him as a kid.
Speaker 2: All right, doctor misty jarfly?
Speaker 6: Mo?
Speaker 1: So you called them a jar fly?
Speaker 4: Everybody did? Really what a cicada was? Somebody tell us the cicadas out in the yard. We said, we better run hide.
Speaker 1: Jarfly? Now did you ever equate jarfly? Is it the noise jarred your ears?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Because surprised me, because I I would have thought a jarfly meant they caught him and put him in jars.
Speaker 6: He did that with lightning bugs, we would have thought somebody was talking about if I heard it.
Speaker 2: And if you're from up north, you call them, you call them not not lightning bugs. You call them fireflies. That's a that's another word that separates.
Speaker 4: You another Yankee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, call them fireflies.
Speaker 5: To go back and forth, because I call them lightning bugs, and your dad called them fireflies and Shepherd called themirees.
Speaker 6: This kind of stuff comes up in my house all the time because my wife was born up in Montana and then was in South Dakota.
Speaker 5: And they say, and she ridicules me.
Speaker 1: What does she what does she say that you like? What's the example?
Speaker 6: Like if you go if you go to the store and you get one of the carts, what do you call it?
Speaker 1: Buggy?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I call it. And she ridicules me. She's like, that's a cart.
Speaker 2: She also calls a poke a bag big.
Speaker 5: We've I've actually had some real fun conversations with with her and with others where we just stare at each other and try to figure out what they're what they're saying.
Speaker 4: I may have missed it, but we was talking about something made me think of something.
Speaker 3: Then doctors talked about a lot of words ending different than Actually the ray Leys bailed and I don't remember him saying it, but as I grew up in my whole family, Harley was hardly any of us put.
Speaker 1: A G on the end of our words, right, right.
Speaker 4: But I don't remember him.
Speaker 1: Saying anything about thinking, running, hunting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did he say anything about that?
Speaker 1: You know he didn't, He didn't, he did, Yeah, he didn't talk about dropping.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's peculiar to the to the Ozark Appalachian. I think that that that goes for a lot of the South in general.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean to properly to say it is running or walking, but running walking, yep, walking talking?
Speaker 2: Okay, what word did President Bill Clinton using a public speech in nineteen ninety nine that caused an article to be written about it in Slate magazine. I actually looked up the article.
Speaker 5: Is How I Spell It?
Speaker 2: It was an interesting story because they there was a big debate on how it was spelled.
Speaker 5: Oh oh really, yeah, it's pretty obvious.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank. I was bumfuzzled, fled?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he was.
Speaker 2: He was talking to Congress actually, and he was talking about the American people being bum fuzzled about uh, the surplus of Social Security being used for other things in the budget, bum fuzzled, and that the big the big debate was whether or not it was a dirty word. They were like, is this a is this a profanity that he's using? Or yeah, bum fuzzled. I might never heard it. No, no one had ever heard it before. The New York Times originally spelled it h b U, m f U s s l ed, bum fuzzled.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's one of those words that I would not have known that people did not know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it seems like you should be able to pick up on it by context clues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I honestly will known that that was like a real word. I would have thought it was just like some random thing that like you said, like, yeah, mixing words.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you asked me, it's clay wall. I just thought of one my dad used to say, and I really don't know what it actually means. It's not profanity. But he'd say something about being barnswaggled with something, barn barnswaggled.
Speaker 2: Barnes swaggled.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you would spell it. Somebody looked up. He would say that about stuff. He'd say, you know, we we got barnswaggled by that.
Speaker 3: Or I think it meant tricked, that's what I kind of think, maybe tricked or overwhelmed, overwhelmed by something other or something done sort.
Speaker 6: Swaggled, overwhelmed, and trapped as well.
Speaker 2: We got a verb a verb that this According to Urban Dictionary, it means urban mhm.
Speaker 5: Is.
Speaker 2: It is a verb that means to be tricked or duped or taken advantage of or cheated.
Speaker 1: Barn swaggled. That's good barn swoggled.
Speaker 5: Okay, he used another phrase in there, al swan. My grandma said that at the time, and I've always when he was al swan a swan, That's what my grandma always used to say, and he used it on his Adam and Eve thing at the very end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's talking about that.
Speaker 1: Hey, did y'all did uh? For those of you like me and Josh kind of helped create this. And sometimes when you're trying to make something funny, it's not nearly as funny as you thought it was. Did you think me ridiculed and all the other dialects was funny?
Speaker 5: I thought it was kind of mean.
Speaker 6: I figured I figured Josh heard something when Christy.
Speaker 2: Heard it, well, so no, I thought it was I thought it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, me and Josh thought it was funny.
Speaker 3: I thought it was funny. When you really when you criticize that voice. I heard it sounded like Josh biel Maker on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, what team.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to let America.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 1: It was a joke. Okay, Like to understand bear grease, you have to you have to be a little complex. So we were, we were we were highlighting that we have this like like centric view of the world based upon where we're from, and we think it's right. And so clearly that's what I was. That's why I was making fun I got rid. I was so enamored with our own dialect. But really, there's you can't help it if the other dialects just aren't that interesting. That's not my fault.
Speaker 5: Weaker.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: That was that was a joke. That was funny.
Speaker 2: I think my wife has the most neutral accent in history. Like I'm like, it's nothing.
Speaker 1: Well, she's from Saint Louis. Well I grew up and grew.
Speaker 2: Up in Saint Louis. But but her mom and dad have Southern accent. You know, they're both from you know, her mom's from rural Oklahoma or dad's from Oklahoma, and like all her family has upland South you know speech, but she's just very neutral. It's interesting to me. What TV show did doctor Blevin say gave a good representation of the upland south dialect. If you don't get this TV show, TV show yep, not movie, not movie TV show.
Speaker 1: You Oh okay, I'm forgetting the name of the show.
Speaker 5: For you don't know the show. If you're forgetting the name, needs.
Speaker 2: To miss one anyway.
Speaker 1: I mean, uh, actually, okay, I got I got, I got.
Speaker 2: I got everybody show it once, Andy Griffith, Andy Griffith.
Speaker 5: Whistle, that show that was my mom's. I mean, we watched that every night.
Speaker 2: He and then last question, what is an archaic intensifying prefix?
Speaker 1: Whoa?
Speaker 2: This was mentioned? Think about that archaic intensifying prefix?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I did see, but you might have got it.
Speaker 5: I might have gotten it without it, but I can't in honesty say that.
Speaker 2: Chaic intensifying prefix.
Speaker 4: I ain't got a hanker?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: You got it? Almost? Okay?
Speaker 5: Almost?
Speaker 2: When you add an a to an action verb a hunting a.
Speaker 5: Go And we have most Shepherd's compliments on my drawing this week. This was a contribution with.
Speaker 1: What are you going to call this one?
Speaker 2: And as winner of that question.
Speaker 5: He's a winner of that question. But I think if you'll notice my score at the top, I think you beat me.
Speaker 2: That's a score has five six seven said seven. Misty and Bear are winners this week.
Speaker 1: Guys. Good job. Well we uh, I hope everybody has a great Christmas and uh, there'll be there'll be some more. There'll be another Beggars episode that comes out before Christmas.
Speaker 2: There will be a episode on Christmas, on Christmas.
Speaker 1: On Christmas Day.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, christ.
Speaker 1: Christmas.
Speaker 5: What's that Christmas miracle?
Speaker 1: A Christmas Miracle episode that's going to be Listen to it before you open your presence. Yeah, it'll be interesting. It's it's kind of a look back if you if you will, it should be good. It's it's uh, it's been it's been a good one. Keep the wild places wild, so it's where the squirrels live.
Speaker 6: H