Speaker 1: We've been doing a lot of traveling, as you guys know, for the Podnits World Life shows, and every time we come home, having both of us be gone for long periods of time four to five days, multiple times a month, or at least once a month, has been really difficult on the kids. And so we're actually switching that up and he's not no longer going to be traveling with me. But this last time that we were gone, it always takes the kids a few days to reacclimate to us both being home, and sometimes that means there's a little more acting out than there usually is when we've been home for a while.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: No, I'm sure you can relate at all.
Speaker 2: I don't get ignored and yelled at for three days now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard for kids and they don't know how to process all the big emotions. So we came home on a Saturday morning, and Adler and Keaton were both sick, and so they weren't feeling well, so I.
Speaker 3: Took him to urgent care.
Speaker 1: And Saturday was a rough day, and Sunday was a rough day, and Monday was a rough day. And normally Adler would have gone to school, but again he was sick, so he stayed home. He had a doctor's appointment, all the stuff, And I was at peak patience for Saturday and Sunday, and then by Monday my patients had really started to wane. And by Monday night, when Adler had a complete meltdown over refusing to share a bike like a like a little toddler bike that's not even his, it's his brothers.
Speaker 3: I lost it.
Speaker 1: And in a not very proud mom moment that I know a lot of people can relate to, I just exploded and I was like Adler and I yelled at it and grabbed him by the arm and we walked down.
Speaker 2: Made it to day three. I have to say I last usually maybe minute three. No, I lasted like three hours before I'm like, Indie, come on, yeah, and I don't do your game.
Speaker 1: Oh it sucks because you know in the moment while you're doing it that like this isn't what they need, but you are just maxed out, and especially at the end of the night where you are have been overstimulated all day and are also exhausted, and you're you're just on fumes.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I lost it.
Speaker 1: And I put him into his room and I put him on a time out and left him alone, even though I know that I'm not supposed to do any.
Speaker 3: Of those things.
Speaker 1: And I said, I'll come and talk to you when we both calmed down. And he settled down and I calmed myself down, and after about four or five minutes, I went into Adler's room and I opened the door and he was sitting there on his little chair, and I said, would you like to talk about what happened? And he said, yes, you don't know how to control your emotions?
Speaker 2: Yes, and I smart, kid smart?
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, my insides and I instantly felt triggered, like this kid's disrespecting me all those things that are just, you know, somewhere from some sort of childhood stuff of your own. And I went, I don't know how to control my emotions. And as I'm saying it out loud, I'm realizing you can't lie like it's.
Speaker 2: True and you're literally not controlling your emotions. Why you're saying this to do that?
Speaker 1: And I'm and I go, I don't know how to do it. You're right, No, you're you're You're absolutely right. I don't it's very hard for me to regulate myself. And I totally exploded and I was like, but before we talk about me, let's let's just talk about you for a minute.
Speaker 3: And he was like okay, And so then we were able.
Speaker 1: To talk about him, yeah, and and him not him not being a good listener and those things, and then I said, would you like to talk about me now? And he said yes, and he said it really hurts my feelings when you scream at me. I said, for him, yes, I hear that, and I'm sorry. Mommy is not perfect. Mommy makes mistakes. Just like you're learning how to control your big emotions. I don't have control over my big emotions. And anyway, it ended up being a really great little bonding experience. We hugged and I said, let's have a better day tomorrow, and then we did, and we talked about it the next day too, about how we had both had a much better day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're constantly processing together like that, Like reprocessing is so important, Like that's sort of like let's talk about what happened yesterday, or let's go over Like I've realized those are it's so productive, you know, And I feel like previous generations of parents never did that. It was like you had an experience, you got it out, you had your emotional encounter or whatever, and then you like slam doors and never talk about it, you know, and like it's so important to like, let's tell the story of what happened, and like let's agree on that story because of course, like you know, it's unpacking, right, it's what this podcast is all about. Like, but if you do it more close to the actual experience, you're like you're olding a relationship together. But by building memories, you're like, what happened there, I did this, and you did that, and then we said this, and we can agree that this is what was happening and what should happen next time. You know. That's that's so powerful, it's so great.
Speaker 3: Man's a good step.
Speaker 2: That's the good stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, when's the last time you yelled at Lexi?
Speaker 4: Who your step step? I don't yell at Lexie.
Speaker 2: She would.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's a tiny, tiny girl that they call the velvet hammer at work. So nobody messes with Lexi. Yeah I Lexi. Lexi's parents took care of her a lot better. I get to be the friend, which is good.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that is true.
Speaker 1: You get to be like you don't even you probably don't even feel like a step dad because like she, she was an adult. Basically by the time you came into her life, there wasn't really much daddying to do.
Speaker 4: Well, No, I didn't daddy. I mean the first when when Sue and I started dating, originally Lexi was eleven, okay, but then but then we just stayed friends after that. So yeah, when when Sue and I got back together, Lexi was like nineteen or twenty, So yeah, it was we were we were good. I mean, and she and I I've always gotten along. But no, I yeah, I'm her stepdad, but she has two parents that that raised her and took care of her. So yeah, I'm just I'm that's my my role. It's like I'm the fun uncle for everybody. That's all I've ever wanted to be.
Speaker 3: So you're a great funkle.
Speaker 4: I am a great funkle and I have a great dog. And when I'm bonding with my dogs, it like, hey, do you want to talk about what just happened my slipper?
Speaker 3: Do you want to talk about it?
Speaker 2: We should we talk about this?
Speaker 4: You're pulling a little bit on the leash. We've talked about this and maybe Bean the word.
Speaker 2: Funkle that just makes me uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: Really, how about how about knuckle funkle. How about the flapp clap knuckle funkle few mouth.
Speaker 2: Flap knuckle funkle. One more time, I'm gonna lose my susiness.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what Lindsey said. I'm the episode where she bleeped. Maybe she said lip flap.
Speaker 4: Flapple funknckle funkle.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, wow.
Speaker 4: I don't know what a knuckle funkle is, but I a want to get one, have one done to me, and I also want to do one to someone else. Come on, dirty, let's figure out what it is. Let's knuckle funkle. It's one of those things that just sounds wrong.
Speaker 2: You know what it sounds like. Do you know there was like those little finger traps. Yes, yes, that's what I would call that a knuckle funkle. It's a knuckleunkle.
Speaker 4: It gets no, I'm knuckle knuckleunkle.
Speaker 2: And then he could use it as a metaphor for like we really got into it. We got to do an argument that was a real, a real Knucklenk. You stuck your finger and I stuck my finger and it couldn't pull out. We were both like it was a real knucklefunk.
Speaker 4: There are so many that's what That's what she said in this conversation.
Speaker 1: My gosh, welcome to Pod meets knuckle Funkle.
Speaker 4: I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm right or strong, and I'm will mouth flap for Dell.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: An experiment that went right from the last season of Pod Meets World is that.
Speaker 3: We did something we jokingly threw.
Speaker 1: Out as an idea once one of us said somewhere along the way, we are doing so much unpacking on this podcast, we should go to group therapy.
Speaker 3: And then we did.
Speaker 1: We invited and technically hired Kira Muscarra a licensed clinical social worker and therapist who has a specialty in the well being of actors. She holds a BFA in acting from nyused Tish School of the Arts. But then she did the smart thing and she went to Columbia University for a Master of Science in Social Work. She now has her own private practice providing psychotherapy and she partakes in speaking engagements in the field of mental health awareness. But here on podmeets World. She will sit with us and talk about the things she's heard during the last fifty or so podcast episodes. As we tackled season three, I'm sure we raised a few red flags and worth noting we know absolutely nothing about what she will ask, So for a second office visit, please welcome therapist Kira Muscara back to the podcast.
Speaker 4: Hey guy, Hello, good to see you again.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: I just got anxious, I just got.
Speaker 5: Negative association.
Speaker 2: Now, No, not at all.
Speaker 3: We loved having you last time.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 1: Even though Will got anxious and nervous, he ended up loving the episode and all of us felt the same way and just wishing we had given you more of an opportunity.
Speaker 2: We didn't shut up.
Speaker 1: We never shut up, and you get us in front of a therapist and we can't stop talking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love it. No, I'm so glad to hear that everyone felt good about it. That was kind of how I wanted to start, was going a temperature check on how everyone was feeling doing this the second time.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, dare you ask me that?
Speaker 4: I am out out.
Speaker 1: We are going to let you ask more of the questions, but before we jump in, I did want to ask just one thing. Let's say you have known someone for over thirty years, one of your best friends in the entire world, and then you find out that they have been hiding the fact that they had a childhood pony.
Speaker 3: Could you ever trust that person again?
Speaker 4: How do you look them in the eye and share your own feelings when you know they've been hiding such important things from their past.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that actually comes up quite a bit with my clients. That's actually one of my specialties of people who hide childhood ponies from their friends. You know, we could definitely talk more about that, But syndrome RS you have to say a little more concerning. When somebody has a child's rat, that always a flag for.
Speaker 3: Me, even when it's Joey the Rat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when it's named after a boy World character, you know, there could be something more there we could explore. Maybe as a New Yorker, it's hard for me to get behind.
Speaker 1: I understand, I promise you. Joey the Rat was nothing like the New York Subway the world.
Speaker 2: Knowing that Topanga was a rat girl is pretty revelatory.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, it really adds a new layer.
Speaker 2: Whereas rider Strong riding a pony doesn't that kind of make sense. So I kind of always imagine that I was on a ranch somewhere with a horse.
Speaker 3: You know how it ends?
Speaker 2: How am I the normal one? How am I the normal one of the Again, by the way, uh, painful use of the word normal. Let's just throw down, so we should take that off the table. A Connecticut guy. Okay. So I brought up this whole pony thing with my parents because I'm here, and they were like, well, yeah, Susie was gone by the time you started boy meets Work. So I didn't realize. I thought we had her all the way through, like up until my teens, but no, like she had died when I was like eleven or twelve.
Speaker 1: So okay, So to be fair, you would have been talking to us about a pony from the past, yea, okay.
Speaker 2: That as opposed to a present or future pony.
Speaker 5: Right, pony that's always in the cards for you writers.
Speaker 2: I could get a pony right now, right, that's true any one of us right now. You don't know, you don't see it from the way I'm standing on a pony.
Speaker 5: Kira.
Speaker 3: Okay, you have been listening.
Speaker 1: To season three and all of our interviews. What questions do you have for us.
Speaker 5: I've got a whole list here, I'm ready, so probably gonna jump around a little bit, but I wanted to start, just like I said, temperature check and see if our call kind of brought any new insights or a new lens or perspective that you were watching these new episodes through.
Speaker 1: I mean, I definitely tapped into the idea after our our call with you, I definitely tapped into the idea of that little Danielle inside of me and remembering that little Danielle on set and and the good, the highs and the lows, and it really like I feel very much in tune with like, oh yeah, that little that little person is still definitely in and I still operate from her in a lot of ways. So that definitely resonated and it really sunk in in our call.
Speaker 5: That's awesome. Well, that actually was going to be one of my questions with checking in with you and seeing like have you gotten more in touch with little Danielle? And it sounds like there has been some more connection there.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 1: I've been much more in touch with her and it's helped me for sure in my parenting, which is the best thing that could have ever come from. It is, aside from healing my own like past traumas or experiences and like being in touch with them. It has helped me parent my oldest son, especially because I see a lot of similarities in Adler and the way Adler feels about things and his perfectionism, and it's helped me. Like, he's still four, so I have a lot of room to make corrections so that he doesn't kind of make the same mistakes I do with perfectionism. And so it's really it's been very helpful in my current life, which I love.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm so happy to hear that. That's fantastic. Yeah, And I guess I was going to ask as well, maybe a silly question. Has touring and kind of getting more in touch with the fans in person and just the experience of the live shows has that influenced the perspective on doing the podcast as well.
Speaker 2: I know for me it's helped me realize that our listeners are not an abstraction, right, that our listeners are real people, and that sense of community is palpable. It's you know, it's made literal when we do the tour, and that's been really helpful. I think mostly in making me aware of that when we're harsh about the show, when we have criticisms of the show, to just make sure that we're also balancing that, like, because I feel like sometimes, you know, when we first started doing the podcast, and I felt like I was very effusive on how like I liked the show, and then I just sort of now, I just take it for granted that like, oh, well, I love Boy Meets World. Like I think Boy Meets World is a fantastic show. So when we're criticizing a specific episode or whatever, but to hear from fans like you guys are really harsh on your or harsh on the show, I realize like, oh, I need to maybe make more of an effort to reiterate like I do like so much of what's happening on camera, and I am very proud of so many things because they're you know, listeners are real people with real feelings out there who are kind of like I like this episode or I like this show. So just realizing like, oh, it's it's a community that I'm kind of somewhat responsible or you know, it's like it's part I'm part of this community. It's not just me talking into a microphone with these two. You know, it's like we're part of a whole group and that's a fun that's that's a great thing because it's been a great journey to.
Speaker 5: Share, absolutely and then part of that larger community. That's kind of rolling into my next question is there's definitely a large community of former child actors who I think there seems to be, and you guys are part of it. A huge movement in the past few years of child actors or former child actors coming forward and speaking about their experience, both positive and negative, kind of the good and the bad of it, really being very verbal and vocal about that with with fans, and you obviously are part of that with your podcast, and I know there's been a lot of collaboration with other former child actors like Jody Sweeten and the Full House Girls and you know, Saved by the Belcast on the whole. Do you find that that community is really hungry for those conversations and receptive to speaking about the good and the bad or have you found, you know, without naming names, have you found pushback from anyone in the community kind of wanting to maintain that image and not break down that fourth wall.
Speaker 3: I don't think I mean ill.
Speaker 1: I can say even just for Will Will had and so did I, we all had overall an overwhelmingly positive experience on the scale of like how you what kind of experience could you.
Speaker 3: Have as a child actor?
Speaker 1: Ours fall on the side of like very few horrible times, tons and tons and tons of amazing, wonderful times, and yet it's still a nuanced Childhood is hard. Childhood is just hard, no matter who you are. And then adding fame and recognizability and money and being away from your family and all of the other things that just go along with it, it has its own set of challenges. And I think the one thing I would say I have felt, and it's not pushback on, but the one thing I would say I feel from a lot of people is a fear of sounding like they are ungrateful for the opportunity or the success that they have had, or a fear that by talking about some of the more the less than positive experiences, it's going to make people think that all actors who were children had bad experiences or bad childhoods. And so there's still a bit of fear about how can I be honest and say yes, this may have negatively impacted me without the takeaway being being a child actor is awful no matter who you are, and that I think has been like from a lot of people of like finding how do I talk about this in a way that is both honest and still also highlighting that it wasn't all bad?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I can imagine there is a pressure from the audience. They want to hear that authentic story. But there's a line you have to toe of, like you said, not sounding ungrateful, you know, making sure that you highlight all the good with the bad. But like you said, it's you're not just talking about when you're thrilled. You're talking about your childhood. And I think if you ask anybody how is your childhood, it's not going to be all good.
Speaker 3: That's just how life is exactly.
Speaker 5: Yes, interesting, Well, yeah, I kind of wanted to get more into you know, we've been talking in the last episode. We talked a lot about looking at memories and through a child's lens. Now we're turning more into an adolescence lens, which can be a little bit more dramatic, a little bit more heightened, a little bit more rigid. Has the viewing of the episodes and the memories that are coming up, Have you noticed any difference between them versus the earlier episodes?
Speaker 3: What about you will?
Speaker 4: No, you know, again, I was seventeen to twenty four. It's a much different time than starting at eleven or twelve, So no, I think, you know, while I certainly grew as a person and continue to do so, my young adolescent years were still on camera, but not on Boy Mets World.
Speaker 2: So I'm not really watching, you know.
Speaker 4: If we went back and watched Don't just sit there or something I did when I was eleven or twelve, then I'm sure it would be a much different experience than watching Boy Meets World. But for the most part, no, you know, watching when I'm watching the show, I'm looking myself more as the growth as an actor than I am the growth as a person, because you know, again, the formidable years for me weren't caught on camera. Yeah, so, yeah, so it was much different for me than it was for them.
Speaker 2: When did you So, when did you stop living with Spencer? When when did you leave? After the first year that the second season, you were already in your own apartment in Burmann and then you stayed there until the end of the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Wow, Yeah, I was in that. I was in that building for the next Yeah, what was it six years after that?
Speaker 1: Okay, But like Tony's been on the show now for these these seas the season and so do any of your memories, like how much of your memories now that are about the show that we're watching tie into Like you actually had like a kind of a best friend on set with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was, I mean again, those were, but those memories were more about it wasn't about the show. It was about kind of you know, going and playing golf or going shooting, or the kind of stuff we would do in the you know, in.
Speaker 2: In between doing the show.
Speaker 4: The show itself was was kind of by second and third season had become just part of my daily schedule. And I loved it so much and it was such a wonderful thing and being in front of the audience, you get that vibe and being with them. But one of the things I'm I do notice through a lot of the conversations that we've been having, you know, Danielle's diary and through pictures and stuff like that, is I didn't hang out with these guys I mean, we we had two very very different experiences on the show, so it was, uh, yeah, it was Yeah, it was. It was just two different things. So I try to jump in where I can.
Speaker 2: But I mean they there.
Speaker 4: Adolescence on the show and growing up on the show, and and for a lot of reasons, for especially writer, but Danielle as well. Towards the later seasons, they were more famous than I was, if that makes sense. So they just had kind of a different run than I did.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I think just now it was like an adult experience of going.
Speaker 3: To work and then I hang out with my friends and I.
Speaker 2: Would that's exactly what I do.
Speaker 4: I go to I'd go to work, I lived by myself, I'd go grocery shopping, I'd do my laundry. I mean, I just I was having a much different experience. I wasn't dealing with the parent dynamic. I wasn't there, you know, I just didn't. I wasn't dealing with school anymore. I mean, like, I just it was just a much different And at that point I was thirty five. I just happened to be eighteen, So it was it was just a different life.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm definitely so aware of adolescent writer now, like ninety five ninety six, that would have been just peak angst miserable writer. Actually, I mean I was. I was actually really just becoming who I would become, you know, Like I was definitely you know, going through relationship issues which I can see like with the Pig episode, or like when I started noticing like down performances and you know, based on a conversation on last Heartbroken Rider, you know, I've tried to be a little like right, that's probably when I was going through this breakup, and that's why I was not delivering like a high energy performance or whatever. I'm so much more aware of that now. And I was also struggling with my mom a lot in this period, like Danielle can remember, like carpooling with I'm driving. I was learning to drive, so had my drivers per my mom had to be in the car with me, and I just wanted to be independent so bad, and I wanted my mom to know how easily I could be on my own, and I just needed to make her feel as bad as possible and as dumb as possible and as like I just I just tortured her for like that. The entire year, and I remember this period like you know. And then once I turned sixteen, I got my own apartment, I became you know, But a lot of my interests are still my interests, Like I started really getting into movies and poetry and philosophy and so like I see little writer going through like becoming who are you know, the kind of the same stuff I'm into now, just cranked up emotionally, like I look craging. Yeah, I basically feel like I was on drugs these Like when I look back on this period, I'm like, oh my god, Like the highs were so high, the lows were so low. It was like life or death every single day. And then of course that translated onto screen, like you can see that Sean is so dramatic, and I feel like the writer were clearly seeing me in real life going through these things and tapping into it, I think quite effectively. So that's every teenager though everything is life and death. You're fourteen, it's like this is oh my god, this is the worst thing that's ever happened to me. Totally Yeah, it's all right, but you see it on screen too, right, like Sean clearly being recent too for this drama and like, I, you know, I was, I was playing into it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, And I think also one of the things that's been really funny and interesting and just cool about where we are in this stage of life is that with us being in our forties, older than the adult actors were at this time that you know, they're on Boy Meets World, we are relating so much more to those adult characters when we watch the episodes. But also I'm relating to our parents and what they were going through raising us while we were on the show. And so having our families come on the show or some of our parents come on the show and talk about what we were like has brought a lot of those memories. Like my mom said to me to what Writer's point was, she said, after listening to Lynn and King's episode, she said, you know, do you remember how Writer You know some of the fights that Writer and his mom would have. And I said why, I mean, I remember that, Yeah, that they would get into big arguments, and she said, it's so funny because Writer would never do this now, and seeing him as a parent, she said, but he was.
Speaker 3: He was mean to her. He was he was mean to his mom.
Speaker 1: And she said and he you know, he was he cursed and he had no problem just yelling and cursing at her. And it's just we think now we think about ourselves as writer with Indie and how I mean writer, how heartbroken would you be?
Speaker 2: Will I be? When will you be? When calling me? And and I'm.
Speaker 5: Gonna say that's such a common experience. I think so many of us would look back on adolescents go, my god, I was so mean to my parents, my siblings or whoever it is. And so it's it's almost inevitable in a way, but harsh for you guys to have it really paralleled.
Speaker 2: And uh well, I think the real problem was that we were empowered, right, Like the whole power dynamic is inverted. Like here my mom has given up, you know, like a lot of parents, they've given up their life to you know, are parts of their life to support you fulfill your dreams. You fulfill your dreams. But in our case it's so extreme, and we walk onto a set every day where no one cares about them, where they have no power. They are literally the also rants who have to be there, but like they don't have authority over the kids because our hours are being dictated by the show and the state laws regarding school and so, like my mom, we're also being hampered, the entire hampered and being catered to and being told we're so brilliant, we're so great, the only reason that any of us are here and getting paid. You know, I'm making more money than my mom and my dad at this age. Like that's crazy, right, Like and so I'm I, I yeah, I have this horrible memory I may have talked about on the show, but like my mom was was on her exercise like treadmill or whatever our house and Encino, and I just I said something and she just she's like, rider, come back, and I like walked into the room and she stopped the machine and just fell apart, and she's like, why do you hate me? And I remember just being like I I don't. I just I don't, you know, And I felt so bad, but she was just so honest and like you hate me, Like why do you hate me so much? And I just had to be like you as a fellow human, yes, not as like a parent trying to control me or to tell me that I'm doing something wrong, but just you know, finally expressing how she was feeling, which is like she felt like I hated her, and sure enough I was, I'm sure, just constantly letting her know how she was messing up or not, like, you know, reaching my standards at fifteen, you know, my high standards of how humans should be, and you know, and of course it's all exacerbated by the fact that, like, I'm on a set where other adults treat me as an adult. They never talk down to me, if anything. You know, if you're below the line crew, you're going to be replaced before the actors are right. So by third season, even though we're kids, we have more power than almost anybody on that set. You know, there's really only the writing, producers and directors who have any authority over us. And that's a really complicated dynamic with children. And that's you know, and I think that it just went. You know, even though I think we were all good people, it can't help but affect our behaviors and go to our heads to a certain degree and distort the world. It's like looking at a carnival mirror every day. And so it distorted my world to the point where I thought I was better than my mom, smarter than my mom, more capable than my mom, and I let her know that in my everyday interactions with her, which is so horrible. And then you know, when I did get my own apartment, everything did kind of normalize, you know, but in retrospect, like it shouldn't have had to have been that drastic, you know, like I should have been able to adjust a little bit and respect my mom a lot more, you know. I mean, we have a great relationship now, but it basically that period like fourteen into sixteen was so awful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and already so different than earlier in the series, where I know, like you spoke in the first few episodes or the first season, there was a fear of will I be replaced? And is this show going to take off? Are they gonna like my character? What's gonna happen? It sounds like by this point in the series there's an over confidence of the show can't exist without me, because now we know where the secret sauce. And so that's a huge flip in itself. And I was curious how your all of you, your relationship I guess maybe less for Will because he was a little older, but what your relationship looked like or how it changed with I guess I'll say the quote unquote the authorities on the show, you know, like the Michael Jacobs, the people running the show. How did that dynamic shift at all as you got older and there was more of that confidence in yourself on set?
Speaker 1: I'll say I definitely there was definitely a point where I had more confidence to be relaxed and kind of you know, those first two seasons especially, I was like not gonna be yeah, I was kind of like who all the time, and I wouldn't have felt real comfortable making jokes or like just being relaxed around the people with power who could or could not, you know, maybe fire me. I know that by the time we reached this point in time, there was a lot more fun Like I did feel more comfortable, I felt more confident. I felt like one of the team. I felt like a member of the family. And even though I don't know that the I don't know that the fear of being fired left until I was like in season five, but certainly here not the show really, I know, I'm still only there a few times, so like you know, it's I was just happy to be back every time and so and I didn't know if I was going to be in the next week or not, So I know, I definitely got to be a little bit more you know, comfortable. But I do think the you know, the relationship I had with my parents, I never, once ever, in the history of my relationship with my parents, ever questioned whether or not they were proud of me. Like I always knew that my parents were proud of me, that they supported me, and that they were willing to do anything in order to help me pursue my dreams. If my dreams were to stay on this show and to do this show forever, then they were going to help me do that. If my dreams were you know what, I changed my mind, I don't want to do this anymore, they would have done anything in their power to do that. But the relationships that I had on set with Michael and with certain directors was definitely more of a I want to make them proud. What am I going to How can I get their approval this week? What can I do to make them be proud of me? What can I do that'll get me a good note in a note session? And if you don't get a good note, if you actually get a criticism, how can I turn that around, and being so excited for the opportunity to turn it around could get that kind of feedback. So I think that's maybe a relationship most people have with either teachers in their life at school or their parents. And yet my family, that relationship was super stable, and I didn't feel like I had to work for work for the support, but I did feel like I was always like a little bit on at work, like how do I get this validation?
Speaker 5: So there was almost more of a hook or a buy in rather than I was wondering if it was maybe the opposite of being like I'm over it now, I don't need to listen to this, you know, ten hour note session or criticism.
Speaker 4: There was more of a.
Speaker 3: Buy in then, Oh, for sure, I was.
Speaker 1: I had become perhaps addicted to the cycle of go to note session, get a criticism, do better the next day, get admiration for that, and then go on, you know, get the adrenaline high of a tape night with a live studio audience, and then the unknown of whether or not you were going to get a criticism that you needed to turn around in front of the audience, or if it was just going to be a great night for you where for some reason every decision you made or thing you did worked. So yeah, I that part had kind of become addicting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, interesting, No, that makes sense. Yeah, I mean Rider, with everything you were saying, it pulled out so many different threads that I actually kind of wanted to talk about. And it's interesting because as we're recording this, the episode that came out today is the episode where you guys talked about the cruise, and I had this morning like all right, maybe i'll listen to it quick, just in case there's anything I want to reference, And there was a lot in there. I did not expect that from an episode about a cruise, something that God, the so much of it kind of pulled up my tug down my heart strings. And I think something that was interesting that you talked about was and I don't know if this is something that you necessarily all felt, but I think a lot of former child actors have spoken about is the pressure and the responsibility they end up feeling as like the breadwinner of their family and supporting their parents and kind of how their status and their success unlocks doors for their family's dreams to come true too. And I know you kind of spoke a little bit about that with your grandparents really wanting to go on the cruise and being able to give that to them.
Speaker 2: Got to give them that cruise before they die, of.
Speaker 5: Course, like anyone in that position would feel that way. And I was curious if any of you, not that necessarily came from your parents putting that pressure on you, but did any of you feel that internal pressure throughout the course of the series, knowing that your success, your money, your status maybe meant something to your family or supported your family in a way.
Speaker 2: No, I mean that's that example of the cruise is kind of the only thing I can point to. I think that there was. There was, there's definitely a sense of like, yeah, I mean no, the story that I actually didn't tell, we got around it a little bit with when my parents were on the show, but I don't think I actually told the whole story, which I have told before in interviews, is that when when I when Maureen broke up with me and I was falling apart, and I said I wanted to leave the show backstage my dad, I think, actually, Danielle, you asked my dad, like, when why do I wanted to quit acting? How did you feel about it, and you were asking I think about like as an adult, and my dad thought you were referencing this story which was back when we were when I was fifteen and I was on the show. I had a breakdown. We were taping, I think it was a pre tape before, you know, but they were the whole whole set was waiting for me, and I just fell apart. I started in the makeup rooms because Lori Heaps remember remembers me there, and I just I felt like my relationship had fallen apart because I was down in LA and I was away from my friends and my you know, my girlfriend, and that my whole life had been ruined by Boy Meets World and that, you know, that was my perspective. And my dad was there and I was crying. We moved from the makeup into the dressing room and I had my breakdown and fell apart and talked to me and and I said, I just you know, I just was I don't want to be here, I don't want to do this anymore. I'm done with this, like I can't. I need, you know. And my dad said, okay, that's it. We will get up right now. We will walk onto the stage. I will tell them we were taking you home. We were breaking that contract. I don't, I don't give up, like we're out here, this is you are way more important and are you know your like you know, health is like way more important and so you know, screw this. And it was amazing, you know, and I believed him, like I knew that he would do that and it was so important and he actually he literally said like I don't I I don't care about Michael. I don't care. We are leaving. We are going to do this, like I don't. You don't you don't owe anything to these people, Like we'll get out of this contract. It is so much more important that you are okay and happy, and you know, that's what I needed, Like I just needed to know that my parents were going to be there no matter what. And yeah, horrifically I told that story in our twenties at an event Michael brought us to his temple to do an event. You guys remember this where we all like yeah, yeah, And I told that story and Michael chimed in and said, no, wouldn't let you leave. I wouldn't have. I wouldn't have let you do that. And that was a horrible moment. Like I remember looking at him and going, do You're gonna undermine my story when I just told that story about like how my dad was supporting me, Like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and undermine your parent?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, mind my parent again at twenty four or whatever, had to just get that in there. Well we're you know whatever. Yeah, so there you go. But for me personally, that was an incredibly empowering important moment that I knew my parents were gonna love me and support me no matter what if I was.
Speaker 5: It's interesting I said that story, and I'm like on the verge of tears of like that moment you have with your parents, Like you see even kids who are like so intensely in school and the parents who were like, like you said, we'll get you out of here, I'll give you school, we'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: All that matters is that your mental health or that you're you know, supported, and that we love you. And like I needed that so bad, you know at that.
Speaker 3: Age, Like and writer, then what did you what did you say?
Speaker 1: Did you end up saying like no, let's not do that, let's not leave right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah? I just held my my dad held me, like I cried in his arms and like I just remember, like I think Jeff McCracken came back. I remember Jeff coming back, and you know, because Jeff was like a father figure to me, and my dad and him had a great relationship. And I remember Jeff opening the door and being like, what are we doing and my dad being like, you know, no, like we need more time. And I was like, I remember saying, like to Jeff, like, can we please have just some more time? And I just sat with my dad, I think for like fifteen twenty minutes while the whole crew waited, and I just my dad calmed me down and we talked, and I said okay, and he's like, look, if you really do want to leave, like we don't have to do it right now, but if you want to figure out how to get out of this contract, we can do it down the road if you just want to finish today. And you know, so we're not all waiting right now, and Jeff's waiting outside in the hallway, and I remember being like, Okay, I can do this job. I can emotionally get through this, you know. And I remember my dad talking about how it's so funny like I was asking him about like how because he was telling me about how he and my mom had broken up at one point before they got married, you know, because he was trying to relate to me I was going through a breakup really, like really what was happening was a teenage boy had a broken heart and his dad was trying to make him feel better. And so I remember being like, didn't it hurt? Didn't it feel like it was the end of the world, you know, and he was just like, yes, you know, but as you get old, he just talked me through the breakup ultimately, and that's what it really was, you know. And then I just knew like my dad understood that I was going through something where I had a broken heart and he may and he was like, look, if you know, if we can just get through today, time heals all this stuff, like you will feel better. Like I ultimately felt better, you know, I ended up with your mom, but you know, I had heartbreak. It's fine, and I did. I was like okay, And I remember just like getting ready feeling like I didn't look like I was crying anymore, and being like, Okay, I'm going to go do this and then try and get out of the contract for boy Meets World down the line, which I did for the next like two or three years. I tried, you know, I didn't. I was never had like that kind of breakdown, but I did want to do other jobs and I wanted to get away from Boymet's World. But yeah, but you know, that was like such a defining moment for my relationship with my parents, and you know that dynamic that you're referencing, like, I never felt like they needed me or or or I had to do this for them. It never wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Will and I similarly, Will's parents are lawyers, and Will wasn't supporting his family and my parents.
Speaker 3: I wasn't supporting my family. There were times where.
Speaker 1: It was cool to be able to use you know, like, oh, they're shutting the park down for our families, you know, the cast and crews of all the ABC shows. Once a year, they would us down there in buses and we got to bring our siblings and friends. And there were times when the perks were really cool. But I never felt like any sort of pressure to keep doing the job because there were perks that my family needed or wanted. And I actually think it's one of the things that makes all of us been included a little rare in entertainment industries that all of our family, none of our families relied on us for those things. So yeah, I thankfully No, I did not have any sort of that pressure feeling either.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No. And I loved so much as a listener hearing you bring your parents on because they're just as much of a part of it as all of you were. They were you know, when you're that age, your parent is like, yeah, they're speaking for you a lot of times. And it was an interesting just is so beautiful to hear how fiercely they all advocated for all of you. Sounds like even Will saying like you know your dad over contracts and not letting people pulling over on you like that is so what a gift. And I think what I loved hearing is that all of your parents were like, the second that stops being fun, we're out of here, like the writer said, And I guess rider, can you speak a little bit more too, and maybe you have in previous episodes? What did keep you in? Because it sounds like it did hit a wall where it stopped being fun, and obviously your parents were like, Okay, that's fine, let's walk away, But you stayed in. What were the factors that kind of kept you in?
Speaker 2: I think I just got old enough to have more of my own independence, you know. Once I was sixteen, I got my own apartment, and I started going to college, and I just you know, I found my own things, and boy Meet's world then became a pretty great job, you know, because then it was like a day job while I could pursue all the things I started to care about more about, like traveling the world, you know. And then I think I started to see the benefits of like having money. I was able to pay for my own college education, like that was never a concern, like, and that was just you know. And I think when I started to see my friends at sixteen get dishwashing jobs, Like all my best friends were like literally dishwashers or you know, normal like teenage jobs and like working their asses off to be able to afford to go to college or take student loans. And I was like, oh, I can I can do whatever I want, Like I can go anywhere, like I can, you know, And that was empowering. And then I was like, oh, okay, I need to I just need to be okay with this job. It was creatively, it was very unsatisfied. It was still creatively very unsatisfied. I you know what, Like like I wanted to be DiCaprio. I wanted to be doing like really dramatic movies and awesome you know, and I wasn't getting those parts. I was considered a TV sitcom kid actor and that hurt, Like that was really frustrating for me, and so I railed against the show in that regard. But I remember in my in my actual day to day life, I was having fun, and like I started having much more fun on the set sixteen on, like once we were all hanging out, and like I was like Will had started the show, you know, more of a like capable adult. It was I had fun, Like I just we laughed every time we were on set. So I think from a transition from being like, oh this is this is so miserable for me and I'm creatively unhappy to just this is actually a really great gig. I'm just creatively unsatisfied. And that's on me, you know, I just have to go do other things, and you know, and this is part of the reason why I'm not an actor anymore. And I'm sure you've dealt with this with clients, is that you you aren't in control of the project you're in, you know, and that and like the best and happiest actors are the ones who are who come to terms with that, who have like a piece with that, where they're just like, you know what, just show up and do my part of this job, which is.
Speaker 5: Love the job no matter what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of have to, like you can't always you can't have that like other part of your brain that's like putting it in context or trying to tell the whole story. And no, you have to like commit to your corner of this story or your corner of this project. And like, now that I've directed, I can see that those are the actors that I love working with, Like, oh my god, the ones who are just like what do you need? Where do I go? And they just commit, you know, And like I found it harder and harder to commit because I kept being like, yeah, but this movie kind of sucks or this episode is not great or didn't.
Speaker 5: Really you have to genuinely enjoy it, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think you know that's just my my adult brain started taking over and made me less of an actor, Like I just became I became a worse actor as my you knows, as I'm matured, and you know, for better or worse in life, I don't know, but either way, I definitely started to enjoy just being around these guys and being on set and like it was so much fun.
Speaker 5: Well, I want to shift gears a little bit. I mean what you mentioned about that story with Michael, where it sounds like there was still an experience as an adult of I guess kind of having the power people on set still having some control over you to and some control over maybe what you're feeling, what you would have done, even that story that it happened in hindsight, still kind of inserting that there ye something that I heard, and I don't want to say which episode, but there was an episode of the podcast that it sounded like there was still a little bit of that of someone kind of telling you what your experience was, telling you what they thought you felt at that time, even if that's not what you were saying as an adult, and I'm very checkyse. Something I admire about the podcast is like, there isn't this desire to say who's right, who's wrong, Whose perspective was the correct one, who wasn't. It's just a collection of what was everyone's perspective of the time exactly me as a listener, that felt like such a sharp contrast of someone really trying to tell you what the experience was, even if that's not what you felt. And I was just curious how that is for you guys as adults, to have someone tell you what your experience was.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 1: I think one of the things we can all agree on is that there have been times with different people that we worked with who have since the podcast has come out, who have written us or spoken to us about different things that have come up on the podcast or different episodes, and we realize how much those dynamics that were at play back then have not in their minds changed at all, where they still think of us as kids, and where they think, you know, they feel comfortable saying something to us like I heard so and so say.
Speaker 3: Something on the podcast and that's not true.
Speaker 1: So you need to apologize to so and so and an author parent.
Speaker 3: Like Wall.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's not something even we said. You heard someone else say something from their po the that you're saying isn't true. Also, you're not even the person in the story, so you're not even saying, hey, someone said something about me and I want.
Speaker 3: To correct it.
Speaker 1: You're stepping in on behalf of someone else to say that what somebody else said wasn't true, and now we owe this other person an apology. And there is there's there's a little bit of a feeling where you know, Will is the nicest, kindest, sweetest person in the world and is so respectful and loving of every single person we worked with on on every from every facet of crew top to bottom.
Speaker 3: Will's the loveliest.
Speaker 1: And yet I remember when this, this particular example happened, Will was like, I think I need to say something, and if he did, he responded in a very polite but direct way of like, I hear you, but I don't need to apologize and we are not going to.
Speaker 5: So you know, O did that feel for you?
Speaker 4: Will?
Speaker 5: To be now in a position as an adult to say that.
Speaker 4: It felt fine? I mean, I think it's one of those things where it's it's it's I don't have to worry about my perception of myself. It's it's other people's perception of me that occasionally needs to be corrected. So it's the idea where it's I'm not fifteen anymore or sixteen anymore, So don't talk to me like I am, because what's going to come back as a forty seven year old man and it might not be great. So, yeah, it doesn't happen often. I mean I can count on one hand the number of times. I mean, there's a number of reasons for that. I'm I don't like conflict, but I also find that most of the time I can avoid it, whether by comedy or talk just straight talking through it. But then there's times where you have to kind of say no, I check your tone right. So that doesn't happen often, but when it does, you have to say something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I was really proud of Will.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I was proud of him because and not because Will is the type to be walked all over. I've never seen Will be walked all over. But I very I very infrequently see Will in any sort of conflict situation. And I know for me, when I read the email in particular, we were talking about my insides turned bright, which is a normal reaction for me. My insides turned bright red, and I was like wanted to breathe out fire of.
Speaker 3: Like, who does as far as I think they are And.
Speaker 1: To you know, I was so thankful that Will is the one who handled it because with you know, strength, but also being very polite. He responded, I am not a child, and it feels as though, by the way you spoke to me, you think that perhaps I still am, and I would just like to remind you that I'm not. And so thanks for your email, but we will not be We will not be doing that. And yeah, so that that aspect of still working with if you want to call it working with we don't really work with them now on the podcast, but if we are going to call that having people on, making it a collaborative experience, seeing that for some people there hasn't been a shift in the way they think of us or you know, and it is hard. I think I appreciate you saying that one of your favorite aspects is that it really is us inviting people on to share their povs and not giving commentary about whether it's right or wrong, or.
Speaker 3: Good or bad.
Speaker 1: That is one of our shared goals from before this even got off the ground, was. We want to be a safe place for anyone and everyone to come on and share their experiences.
Speaker 3: And we are not going.
Speaker 1: To dictate what those experiences are. We are not going to lead you down a direction that tell that will, you know, guide you into a positive story. We're not going to lead you in a direction that's going to guide you into a negative story. You share what you're comfortable with and what your experiences are, good, bad, indifferent, and we will highlight those. We will, we will give you a space to share those. And yeah, that's that's been one of my favorite aspects of it as well.
Speaker 2: I think like the clearest example of that is like the Tapanga name story, Like the fact that we have so many versions of you know, the Rasham and effect of like everybody has their memory, and like I love that We're not our goal is not to determine which one's the right one, but like I'd love to keep presenting them, you know, like I would love I want to keep hearing those stories and like and so I think I think sometimes people might you know, people that we worked with, or people even just listeners might be upset by something that we're telling is a memory or like one of our experiences. But it's our experience, you know, Like if I have a memory or I have a story, you know, and like somebody could come on and say, no, I never said that, Okay, but I have this memory and I have this experience, and this is our podcast, and this is our show. Does like tell those stories and tell those memory reason you know, we're not. Our goal is not to arrive at a truth or a definitive version of history. Our goal is to collectively compile these memories into what hopefully is a fun listening experience where we can all share along and be like, oh right, we're all uncovering this together, and and you know, and maybe we'll do it again in twenty more years. Looking we'll just listen to episodes of this podcast and talk about what our persons. Maybe it'll just be our kids, It'll be Indian Adler. Oh my gosh, you remember when our parents kept running at the other room and.
Speaker 3: Your stepdaughter, fifty year old LEXI, I.
Speaker 5: Love it well speaking about I guess we were speaking abou kind of your support systems during that time, being your parents. And another perspective I loved hearing was from the onset teacher and I kind of just wanted to hold some space for the loss of David Combs. I know that is an incredibly significant loss, and I I can't fathom how it's been to keep forging forward looking back at these memories as you're also processing that loss in real time, and so I just want to say, I just want to hold space for that. And I was also curious if if you had had the chance to have him on the podcast, what would you have wanted to ask him or say.
Speaker 3: Oh, I get emotional.
Speaker 5: Just I.
Speaker 1: Don't know that I don't know that I know how to really process his death. I don't know that I definitely haven't had time. I probably haven't really like probably haven't done some real like whatever work I would need to do to actually process it. We've been in such like a wonderful busy whirlwind with the podcast live tour, and it's.
Speaker 3: Meant that.
Speaker 1: It's made it easier to avoid dealing with than to really I mean, Writer and I haven't even talked about it face to face, which is weird because I know, you know, obviously right it affects writer and I and Ben the most, but because you know, Will didn't ever really get schooling with him, So of course it's more significant for us than it is for Will, but it is. It's weird that writer and I haven't even talked about it face to face because I know it affects us both so significantly. And I think if you know, and less writer has less, writer disagrees. But I don't know that writers really processed it either.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of what I feel is, uh, just regret that I didn't stay in better touch with him, you know. And I think when we started the podcast. Part of starting the podcast was being excited at the prospect of reconnecting with him and being able to give him credit where credits due and let him know personally the way that we've been able to let Wesley know personally how much?
Speaker 1: Yeah sorry, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wisha wish I could assu him him again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I hope he's watching somewhere. I hope he's I hope there's a podcast station in heaven. He's always tuned into pod Meats World.
Speaker 1: It's the only playing yeah, for him, at least, hopefully not for everybody there, Like.
Speaker 3: What's this new podcast station?
Speaker 2: I I gotta say, I.
Speaker 4: Absolutely love us, But if he's in a place where all that plays is pod Meets World.
Speaker 2: It ain't Heaven people, dun.
Speaker 4: Radio. You know, it's all Pods World all the time, and it's very hard.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, there's a lot of Hondai commercials.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so let's let's be honest with ourselves.
Speaker 5: It's a we wish him that he listens to it, but he gets a break too, for sure.
Speaker 2: He gets to tune in when he wants and watch episodes of Boys World once again. Shakes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I kind of just wanted to a little space for that because thank you talk a lot about parents, and it seems like he played a very you know, formative as well.
Speaker 2: No, And like I said on the end of that episode, like I write, I'm writing with David in my head every day, and you know, I feel like he is over my shoulder, like literally in the words that I'm writing because of how much he influenced my just.
Speaker 4: Corn dropping on your shoulders, got little freckles of popcorn, and I.
Speaker 2: Mean and everything, and yeah, and then of course I still, you know, I read poems to my son, and I know that that's because of David. Like every night I read poems.
Speaker 5: It's his influence is still there.
Speaker 3: Huge, huge, We still say bothing costume.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was my only onset teacher, but I didn't know him well. I mean, he taught me for the first six months. Sen was a very good guy, but I certainly didn't have a relationship with the teachers like they did. I just had That's one of the things I'm really starting to realize a lot more about the podcast is we just had very different experiences on the show, And how incredibly profound four or five years is when you're twelve or seventeen. Oh my, oh yeah, you're different human beings. Forty two, forty three, forty seven, you're the same twelve and seventeen. It's your different creatures. I mean, it's just it's a totally completely different experience.
Speaker 5: Shifting gears again, we were just going to keep shifting gears all. Something that I know you guys have spoken about watching the show is the in and out of characters, just like, oh, this person came up as an important figure and they're gone the next episode, and just the whiplash of that. I think that could kind of be mirrored in the onset experience for some people. With the actors coming in and out, and crew members coming in and out. And there's very much an experience as an actor when you're on a show, on a set, doing a play where family, where my people like, there's such an intense surge of love and community, and then it goes away when the show is over. And for some people, you know, obviously you stay in touch, but that can be really destabilizing. I guess, as we're seeing characters come in and out of the show, was that at all an experience for you guys as actors on the show, seeing the actors come in and out.
Speaker 4: I just want to tell a very, very brief story. I was doing a really crappy movie. I won't even say the name of it, but I was doing it with Chris Owen, who was on our show and was also on the.
Speaker 2: In the American Pie movies.
Speaker 4: And you know, you do these press junkets and the press always asks you the same five or six questions, and one of the reporters we were sitting there and said, so, you guys look like you're good friends.
Speaker 2: And we said, yeah, we are.
Speaker 4: We've become great friends in the set, and she said, are you going to continue when the movie ends? And without missing a beat. Chris went no, and I looked at him and he goes, let's be honest. We've both been in this industry. We know that we're going to say we're going to stay in touch, that we're going to talk a couple times on the phone afterwards, never really hang out again, and then we'll see each other at the next thing we do, and we'll be friends again on the next set whatever we're on, but we're not gonna be come And it was so honest, right and so real that my only response is he's right, He's absolutely right. That's one hundred percent what's going to happen. We're gonna exchange numbers, We're going to see each other at the rap party, We're gonna call each other a couple times, and then we're never going to see each other again until we've run into each other somewhere. And that's that's super exactly what it was. So, you know, I I felt it the most with Tony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't believe we're coming up on Tony's last episode.
Speaker 4: Almost leaving, and it was I've had this thing that I've done my entire life where I kind of can compartmentalize friendships. And I'm also one of those people where I'm a very much and this is not a good quality. I'm very much an out of sight, out of mind person, So I don't you know, Like Daniel and I always joke when we were on these podmeats World Live and we're on tour, we could be in Anchorage, Alaska for four hours trying to book a restaurant, and Rider will be like, oh, I'm meeting friends here. I went to I know one guy here that's friends with my friend Amy, who did so the six of us are meeting in a bar where we're like, wait a second, there's nine people in the town we're at, and you're having dinner with.
Speaker 2: Six of them.
Speaker 4: Everywhere we go, every single place, and at the last place. I looked at Ryder while he was sitting with his friends after a live show. We're exhausted. It's now twelve thirty at night. He's down in the bar, in the in the restaurant, in the hotel with friends, and I looked at him and I was like, Oh, you work at this. You're working at the relationships in your life because they're important to you, and even though you're exhausted and you want to tip over. Right now, it's more important for you to stay in the friendships you're with, So you're going to sit up and cultivate this friendship. And it was so amazing, and it was such a new perspective on friendship because again, I'm that guy where it's like, when I see it, I'll see you and we'll be great friends and we'll always be that way. But I'm I'm going to put in the minimal amount of effort the same way most people I know are going to put in the minimal amount of effort. And so to see somebody like Rider who it's like, No, this is what goes into being a friend, is I'm going to put in the time to be a friend was really something quite it's extraordinary to watch it is. And I saw that with Tony. I mean Tony and I talked about this. I was the first call both times Tony had a child.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And then the second he left we were both kind of just out of each other's lives and we worked at it for a bit and then luckily we've come back into each other's lives and like the last even before the podcast, we had really gotten you know, back together with each other's lives. But it was one of those things that writer's right. I mean, a friendship is you know, if you take it for granted, it's going to die like a plant. You know, you gotta feed it, you gotta water it, you gotta cultivate it. Oh my god, it's a mister foeneism.
Speaker 3: Got to bury bodies in the back.
Speaker 2: But it's true. I mean it's it's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But to see somebody like that where you see you can tell he's exhausted, but he's like, no, I'm that's he's my friends. My friends are here, and I don't get to see him much, and so I'm going to take the time to go and work on this friendship.
Speaker 2: It's really amazing.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's I felt that with a lot of people that left the set. But then I shut it off.
Speaker 2: That's just how I am.
Speaker 4: I closed that part of me off and I'll see you when I see you. So yeah, as an adult to see how to cultivate it, it made makes a big difference.
Speaker 2: But I do think it's healthy to do that. Like I think with set relationship in particular, like there's just there's there is such an intensity to acting together or working together collaborate, you know, collaborating on a project. Like I've had actors like you know the amount of hugging and like we're gonna love each other and then like you just don't. Like I think that Chris is absolutely right, and I think that that it's super healthy to recognize. And I feel like I actually prioritized my my non boy meets World friendships during boy Meets World, like I prioritize my friends back home and da da da da da, and I I really worked on those friendships and it's it's it's not because like during our experience in Boymet World, I didn't feel the loss that much. Like I really didn't like when people left or da da da. Now I do. Like now now I think about Tony and I'm like, oh my god, Like what a great guy I should have you know, recognized how great it was to have him in my life, Rusty like these people that you know that now I do have a friendship with and I do call and talk to and like want to work on. But I think that's the exception that proves the rule. I think that you know, I think like our connection the three of us is like so intense at this point, you know, and not just because of the podcast. The podcast I think is a result of that friendship. Actually agree, you know, but I think at this point now we're like we're stuck with each other forever, Like we're gonna, you know, the Five Guys is gonna end, but we're still gonna be at each other's houses and having dinners every couple of months. Like it's like a thing now.
Speaker 4: And we have the Locker Texas Ranger one next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got thirty seven seasons of that to get. But no, Yeah, but I just don't think. I don't I don't think it was actually our default like emotional connection back then to be like, oh, guest stars and other actor like it was just a whirlwind and it was, and I think that that's actually okay, Like I think that's pretty healthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I do.
Speaker 4: I think recognize it, like Chris said, where it's like we're gonna we're gonna be here while we're here and then we're gonna move on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally a lot of credit because that's I think every actor has experienced that.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, absolutely, and I do.
Speaker 2: I do. I do think there is there is a certain type of relationship. Like when I think about the kids we call ourselves the cabin kids, the kids from Cabin Fever. We're all forties, maybe even fifties some of them. But like the like, the last time we had dinner together was probably ten years ago and it was one of the greatest dinners of my life. And I know that they feel the same way. So like when we will do it, it'll be amazing, you know, and it'll be this.
Speaker 5: Like, oh my god, but we don't again.
Speaker 2: Yes, it'll just be like this, oh, and you know, we'll probably have the same ten conversations would you remember this? And you know, and then we'll be like, Okay, well that was good enough for another ten years, and that's fine. You know, it's fine. We're not going to be in each other's lives. These two were stuck with each other in each other's lives now. But that's the exception that proves the rule. I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it also, unfortunately, this industry also forces friendships a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, where it's like family, Yeah, but it's also you stay friends with people years that maybe you probably shouldn't have and maybe you know, it's like if you were to meet as adults you would not like each other at all, right, but the fact that you have this shared history and we're friends, we're supposed to be friends.
Speaker 4: You're kind of fighting for this thing that maybe shouldn't have been there ever, yep, and so it's, uh, you get that a lot too. And it's and you tend to hold on to things a little longer than you probably should have.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, it's a strange industry for the relationship that's founded on more than just boy meets world. Of course that is killer, but you've all done the work to cultivate a relationship outside of it, which is stands the test of time.
Speaker 2: I think for non for non actor people, it's the equivalent to summer camp. Right, It's like summer camp relationships, and like that's what I remember, Like, you know, part of the reason that Marian broke up with me back in the day, if I do say so, if it's because she always went to summer camp, and when she went to summer camp, she would fall in love with some guy and she would come back and just be like, well camp, I was in the Blue Color team, and I would just be like, still have dooging about camp? Is not real life? You know, but for her it was like, you know, and then I think about like, you know, when you do a play when you're a kid too, when you're like, oh theater, camp or theater, Oh the love, it's going to change your life. And then of course you never see each other.
Speaker 5: Yes, unbelievably healing, and then it's off the next one. Absolutely, yeah, well again, kind of coming back to the show and where you guys are at in the recap, at being more adolescent. Something that came up in a recent episode talking about the idea of of double standards with with Eric dating one of Amy's friends, which just can't even get into that storyline, brought up the idea of double standards to me and I was curious for to hear Danielle's perspective on being a female on a very male dominated set. What was your experience with double standards? I mean, as you were growing up kind of becoming more adolescent, your dating life was very public. Were there double standards that you noticed?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think so, I think, uh, you know, definitely in the later seasons when I finally you know, I was the youngest on the show, So when I moved out of my parents' house and I.
Speaker 3: Was now eighteen nineteen and.
Speaker 1: Started going out. Other cast members were going out, and we're going to clubs, and but there was definitely a like, oh, Danielle's Daniell's lost it, like Danielle's and also I'm part of it, fast girl.
Speaker 3: Other jacket, done jacket all otherwise.
Speaker 2: Likely you got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there was definitely some of that. But you know, I mean that was also very much the time, not so much even just being on a male dominated set. It was very much the time that like, you know, it was not just okay, it was cool to be a male who had a hop in social life and dated women and went out all the time and you know, strolled into work, and but if you were a woman doing that, it was like, you know, especially now, what I will say is, especially on our set, where it was kind of the family friendliness of it also kind of became like a moral judgment where it was it wasn't just family friendly, it was also morally judgmental. So there there was some of that, but that was not until way later. And it also didn't help that my attitude by the time the show ended, my attitude about being there was really poor. I just didn't want to be there, and I couldn't hide it anymore.
Speaker 3: I just just was like, I want this to be over.
Speaker 1: And I don't know how much of that was Also, I was very uncomfortable in my skin in those last few seasons. I just wanted to just like exist outside of myself and I couldn't, and so a large part of that felt like I just want to be out from under the eyes of America and the eyes of these particular people who I know are judging me.
Speaker 2: It's the only time I ever snapped at you. I remember yelling at you once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you not remember that one towards the end it was like seventh season, and you did. You had an attitude and you sat there backstage and you're likeugh, I just don't want to be here anymore. And I turned around and just screamed at you.
Speaker 3: Then get out.
Speaker 4: It's like, there's the door, go, What the hell's keeping you here? Like I just lost it because I was like, rider didn't want to be there. You didn't want to be there, and I just wanted to keep going. I'm like, I'm having so much fun, I'm enjoying my life, and nobody around me is appreciating this, And I just remember just screaming at you, like get the fuck out right, and yeah, go and go, and you kind of like, cause I know, because you and I never had a problem with each ever, know, and so it was that kind of like you like snapped to attention, like oh god, like what the hell? And you still it didn't change your attitude all on. You had every right to feel whatever you had to feel. But I remember I was like, cause I never yell, I'm not the yell guy ever. And I think you were like, oh my god, Wow, they'll just yelled at me.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: I think what you don't realize sometimes when you're a kid is like you feel like you're just venting, like you're just saying all these things. I feel like I have these feelings, I have to express them. I'm I'm tired of this. I feel creatively stifled. I'm missing out on my real life. I want to go do all these other things. I've got great plans and this show is stopping me from doing it. And what you don't realize is how that sounds to all the other people who feel now like they're a part of it. And like Will said, For Will, it was the greatest thing, Like he loved it. He didn't want to stop doing it. If we could have done season.
Speaker 3: Eight, nine, ten, and eleven, he.
Speaker 1: Would have been like, yeah, sign me up. I'll be the first person to work in the last person here. And that is a frustrating feeling to be like, my god, everybody around me is just a sour puss.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was that was hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, was that I don't want to say the words scary. That's not the right word, but but was it scary at all? For you Will to hear everybody else's investment, just go down and know for yourself, like I'd love to keep going if.
Speaker 2: We were all of them.
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't scary.
Speaker 2: It was upsetting. Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: It's like it it hurt me to know that, cause again, the acting that they brought it every time, So it was never like, oh my god, it's affecting their performances or they're not taking it seriously. It was never that because the acting was always there. I mean by that by the end, we were all so into our characters that we could have done it in our sleep.
Speaker 2: Frankly.
Speaker 4: But you know something, again, I've talked on this podcast so many times about how important television is to me and to reach this goal that I'd wanted to do for so long, and to be you know, towards the end, have a couple people around me that that I loved so much that just weren't happy. I mean, it's a combination of you want your friends to be happy, first of all, but you also don't want them to denigrate the thing that's making you so happy. So it was it was a weird combination of the two. But it's also again, it's such an age thing. I probably would have been doing exactly the same thing had I been thirteen when I started. You know, it's you know, and I'm sure even Rusty and Betsy had a much different look than I did, where they're such the journeyman actors that they were probably like, you take your job where you get it, you take your paychecks where you get it. You're professional the entire time. And then Bill, being had been in the business for fifty years by that point, would have had a different perspective than even Rusty and Beth. So I think as you grow as a person, you're also growing in the profession. You're growing and your idea of what you're doing at the time is going to change every time you're there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: I had already signed deals with ABC, so I knew that I was rolling right into something else, so that it wasn't about the work for me, It was about God, why do you not love this the way I love this? And it's because at the time, they had a thousand of kids, they had a thousands of things doing, they were growing to be adults. They were doing it in the public eye. I mean, my god, Danielle, by that point was had to be Topanga, which was now already iconic, and you're with this. It's Corey and Tapanga. That's a thing now Corey and Tapanga, and the country is voting on whether they're going to get married. I mean to do that in the public eye and at the same time be like, why can't I just be seventeen somewhere? I couldn't imagine what that was like and I never had to deal with it, So yeah, you you know, you also have to walk a mile in somebody else's shoes, where we would get that a lot too, where it's like you want to shake somebody and go, why aren't you just happy doing this, and I'm sure she wanted to shake back and go because you didn't have to do it the way I did.
Speaker 2: So it's uh, yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I think about very stress experience, I think, Man, what a life to like, Go show up to work, get to be funny all the time.
Speaker 2: Your your role.
Speaker 1: For the most part, there's gonna be a few episodes that are very heavy on you and emotionally connected, and you're always great, but for the most part, you are always the comedic relief. So no matter what's going on that week, you're getting laughs, like you're getting validation on a sitcom, which the number one thing you can do is get somebody to laugh. You're getting a week after week, day after day, partially because that's your character, and mostly because you're just that funny and you're making any moneier. And you had the best time doing that, Like that was feeding your soul and then like that was your it was your dream come true too, Like I was a child, this is all I want. You're finally doing it. It's amazing. And then the minute you're done with your scenes, you might have three or four hours in the middle of the day to go with a friend you consider to be like a best friend who works on the show, and you get to go do something else Like that'd be like my life now on a show if I were an adult on a kids show, ultimately in the middle and you're making tons of money and you're not that famous either, so you can still go anywhere you want to go and do anything you want to do.
Speaker 2: It's perfect.
Speaker 1: But I do remember when we did Girl Meets World, feeling like looking at the kids and seeing them feel stressed about the school work they had to do, the premieres, they had to go to, the fashion events they wanted to be a part of, the now navigating the social media world social media and looking at them and going everyone is going to tell you that this is supposed to be the most fun and wonderful and lovely experience of your life, and that we are a family and you better appreciate it and love it. And what I want to tell you is if you need to come in here and cry about how miserable you are, I promise you I understand.
Speaker 3: And and there's only so.
Speaker 1: Many people you can do that with, because everyone else is going to look at you and go on a show star of a kid's show and you get to do happy sayings. Yeah, why are you living it up? But also it's a lot, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah. And the idea of social media now I can't I can't even imagine that. And I was thinking about in the cruise episode. I was like, one, do they do things like that anymore where you could go on cruises with celebrities, because that just seems like.
Speaker 3: A crazy Yeah.
Speaker 1: The back Kids on the Block, New Kids on the Block has Andrea Barber goes on the New Kids on the Block cruise and.
Speaker 3: She loves it. It's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, it's so like writer was talking about in that episode. The accessibility is frightening. It's so intense. And I was thinking about, like, wow, I guess nowadays, I guess they do do these kind of cruises. But also social media has kind of played that role of giving fans what they think of access. It's a little bit more able to be moderated or controlled, hopefully by by totally.
Speaker 4: And we'll find out when we do pod Meats World Live on the Seas Start.
Speaker 2: You think he's joking. They literally pitched me, let's do it. Let's do it, and they're gonna keep pitching me.
Speaker 5: A lot of people signing up.
Speaker 2: Right, if we did a Pod Meats pod.
Speaker 4: Meets World Live Baby.
Speaker 2: The Open why don't we do Pod meets the Open Sea and I just helicopter in for.
Speaker 4: Like one, like two hours, like I'll just like.
Speaker 3: Your favorite actress of all time.
Speaker 2: See, I just want to I just want to create goop. Guys, this is all I wanted the mail to. You do you do? Yeah, I'll sell jackets like this and I'll just and I'll land my helicopter for like two hours. I'll come in, I'll grace everybody with my presence and then.
Speaker 3: T G I F thank god it's floating.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 4: We love it. You know that would sell? All right? So to all the cruise people who clearly listen to the show, because I'm sure all the Cruis executives are, just call Rider. We'll be there. We will be there. Make him your point person.
Speaker 5: He'll be like the guy on the Lido deck with you know, just running the events kind.
Speaker 1: Of yes, you can find him in shorts and boots.
Speaker 2: Just don't injure me and make me dance.
Speaker 4: Please, just go right, everybody dance.
Speaker 1: I love, Kira, maybe you can come on the cruise with us. You can help, you can help keep.
Speaker 2: She could just have her office hours for me. Like, as long as I've got nine to ten with cure, I'm fined. Let's just download I cry either.
Speaker 5: I don't know what that might bring up for me.
Speaker 2: All we have to do is just play Counting Crows. We just have the speaker set up, so I come in, we listen to August and everything after, start to finish and cry together, and then I go back and it's fun.
Speaker 4: Wow, it sounds like an awesome cruise. Sign me up in a buffet rider crying and a buffet.
Speaker 2: I'm in, I'm in.
Speaker 1: I'm so in, Kira, thank you so much for being with us. I guess I'll give you an opportunity if I'm about ready to. Is there any last question that you didn't get to that you really want to get.
Speaker 3: In before we wrap up this episode, Like.
Speaker 5: Cause I wanted to because I know we're on the cusp of season four right. Yes, obviously there's memories that you hold of what storylines are about to come up, But what do you all hope to see for your characters walking into this next season what do you want to happen for them?
Speaker 4: I'll go first because I can do this very quickly. I think Eric is just going to become more Eric. I think he's going to cement himself as b story guy, which I'm totally fine with. But for actual storylines, I don't know where that I remember the first one because I remember it was we shot the thing with the whole yogurt cup. I believe that's episode one, season four. But other than that, I don't know what's coming. I just know he's going to get a little crazier, and I'm hoping maybe season four is the first Phoenie call, because we haven't had one yet, so.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll see.
Speaker 5: I think Danielle, it's probably for you. Just being on the show would be yes.
Speaker 3: I would love to be there every week. I hope season four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are season four? Season four? You're a regular? Yeahah, you must although wait no, you were you're regular by season three, but you were like thirteen out of right, Yeah, so you could still be under that contract now. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I hope I'm in every week of season four. I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see and what I'm really very excited about is that there are It's a kind of a toss up for the audience, the people who write to us every week about episodes and things we think and things we say. The majority of people seem to think that seasons three and four are like peak best seasons of Boy Meets World, But the real majority says season four is just banger after banger after banger. So okay, I am very excited to see what season four has in store, and I'm extremely hopeful that I am more of a part of it because I think that'll just be.
Speaker 3: Fun to like be like now this is what I remember, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm looking forward to Yeah, I'm just I think the show's been getting Like I think season three seemed pretty good to me.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, it had some some ups and downs, but I think every season is gonna have ups and downs, and I do I think it was good.
Speaker 5: Less grease references.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, we're hoping. I'm trying to season four. I mean, obviously, it's Tony's last episode, which is going to be a super dramatic one with lots of tears. That's the famous one with the center, and then I guess maybe my do I drink in season four? Is that? Or is that season five? I don't know.
Speaker 4: No, no, because because Trina is in the drinking episode, isn't she She's season four one.
Speaker 3: Of them got a couple of drinking episodes.
Speaker 2: I love of God. We'll see anyway. Yeah, I'm excited. I think it'll be a good season, probably because I will be living in my own apartment in my real life and probably a much happier writer, So hopefully that means I will be bringing it performance wise a little bit more cool.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys so much for having me back on. It's been so much fun and I just love getting to to check in with you guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: We'll see you again at the end of season four.
Speaker 5: Sure, and at that point we might have the cruise and the works.
Speaker 3: Who knows exactly.
Speaker 1: We may be on the open seas. You may be with us, who knows. Kira, thank you so much for joining us. Kira can be found on social media at Kira Muscara or online at Kiramscara dot com.
Speaker 3: That's k I E r A m U s c a r.
Speaker 1: A dot com. Kira, thank you again for being with us. It's always such a pleasure, and you always managed to find the right mix of heart and honest, truthful questions.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And we appreciate you being such a loyal listener and you are You're truly the perfect mix of like fan of Boy Meets World and of the podcast and true professional who makes us feel very at home and comfortable with you.
Speaker 3: And we appreciate you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That's the thank you.
Speaker 5: Thanks so I'm glad to hear that. Thank you guys so much for me back.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you again soon.
Speaker 3: Oh, that was a wonderful episode. Well how did you feel?
Speaker 1: I know you're you're always the one who's less open book than writer, and I I'm fine.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: I think it's I think from an emotional kind of standpoint, it was just a much different experience for the three of us. I think there's a lot more therapeutic unpacking that would come from your both your times on Boy met Ware.
Speaker 2: Well, what about as we get into anxiety stuff? I mean we must be.
Speaker 4: Getting well that you will know exactly when that is that will certainly hit, but that's between season six and season seven. Yeah, I have that to look forward to.
Speaker 2: You're right, I do have that to look forward. I have that to look forward to it. So it really didn't. You didn't start having those those feelings until season six or seven.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 2: No, it was right.
Speaker 4: It was while in the middle of shooting h double hockey sticks, right in the middle and the take. Actually they used it so I can point to it and go first panic attack, yeah, so and then again and then I put on a whole bunch of weight. So man, you had never had panic attacks before that, not a single thing. For I think once in Amsterdam when I had smoked.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I think because the only panic attacks I've ever had when I smoked too much weed.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was I think one time I spoke too much weed, but that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com and we have.
Speaker 4: Merch merchandise sponsored by writer Strong on a cruise. Let's welcome to this day.
Speaker 3: Pod meets Worldshow dot com. Writer send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all. Pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Rider Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubach, producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on in Instagram at Podmets World Show, or email us at podmetsworldshowat gmail dot com mh