Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's only sources for news. This it's The Daily Show with your host Friday.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Daily Show. I'm right Chang. Here's what we have for you tonight. Pride Month is getting some backlash, Joe Biden is remembering the good old days, and Donald Trump is looking for a new VP to hang with and then maybe hang So let's get into the headlines.
Speaker 1: Let's kick things.
Speaker 3: Off with President Joe Biden, who was in France today to commemorate the eightieth anniversary of the d with veterans of the battle. And spending time with these veterans is incredibly important to Joe Biden because being next to them is the only time he looks young.
Speaker 1: Don't forget, and this is true.
Speaker 3: Joe Biden was actually alive back when D Day happened. And I'm pretty sure when A Day, B Day and C Day happened too. Now, if you don't know your history, D Day was the day Allied soldiers stormed the beaches of Normandy in World War Two, and I can appreciate the difficulty and danger they faced because the beach at Normandy is by far the fucking hottest missioning call of duty. Okay, so we honor all the brave soldiers who fought the Nazis in France so that we today could have the freedom to fight them on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Oh actually, you know, now.
Speaker 3: That I think about it, I guess you guys didn't really finish their job. So thanks for nothing. But enough about Nazis. Let's move on to a completely unrelated topic, Donald Trump. The ny PD is officially revoking Donald Trump's gun permit in New York because, as a convicted felon, he's not allowed to own a firearm anymore. Of course, there is a bit of a loophole because if he becomes president, he gets all the nukes. How does that make sense? He can't have a hunting right, full boy, he can drop the A bomb on Bambi. Okay, So, but Trump has bigger things on his mind, like who to pick as his running mate slash human Shield and here are the finalists swords as.
Speaker 4: Selsey and and tonight that former President Donald Trump's campaign has now given betting materials several people who are on the vice presidential shortlist that includes North Dakota Governor Doug Bergham, Senators Marco Rubio, JD. Vance, and Tim Scott, also representatives Byron Donalds at a least Stephonic and also Trump's former cabinet secretary Ben Carson, all at least seven undergoing. Really, what is the political of a background check?
Speaker 3: What Trump is doing background checks on possible vps?
Speaker 1: Why what's he.
Speaker 3: Gonna find out about someone else that's worse than what he's done?
Speaker 1: I mean, Yo, this student's got.
Speaker 3: Fraud, sexual assault, infidelity, tax evasion, bankruptcies, impeachments.
Speaker 1: He hung out with Epstein.
Speaker 3: I mean, is he really going to find something and be like, hold on, hold on, JD. Van's got a parking ticket in nineteen ninety four. I can be associated with a man like that. I will say I am impressed with the diversity in this list, I mean three black guys, although it is less impressive where you consider that Trump thinks all of them are Herman Kane. Although you may have noticed one name who isn't on the list. It's a Christine Nome, which has to be pre upsetting for her, although I'm sure she'll be fine when she lets saw some steam at the firing range Meanwhile, big news today about a top figure from Trump's previous campaign, Steve Bannett, is officially going to prison next month for refusing to testify.
Speaker 1: Before the Land Fix Committee.
Speaker 3: Now, luckily, prison won't be a big change for him because he already smells like a pack of cigarettes that was smuggled in someone's ass. I mean, this dude doesn't look like he's going into prison.
Speaker 1: He looks like he just escaped. Tell me, this guy didn't just crawl through a five hundred yard type of shit.
Speaker 3: Okay. I do feel bad for all the other prisoners having to listen to this dude talk about MAGA all the time. His cellmate is going to be the first inmate in history to volunteer for the electric chair. I mean, even the skinheads are going to be like, damn, this new guy has some rough opinions about immigrants. But let's move on because this June, which means it's time to celebrate the holiday. Jojo Siwa invented Pride Month. Pride Month started as an anti establishment protest, but over the last few decades it's gone main street. They are parades in every city, Pizza Hut puts out gay boxes, and even Exon changes all these oil spills to a rainbow color hashtag ally, but recently the conservative backlash has been growing and this year some Pride traditions are coming under fire.
Speaker 5: In Florida, Ron DeSantis administration has forbidden cities across the state from displaying colorful lights on their bridges during Pride Month, limiting bridge coloration to red, white, and blue. Bridges across the state that normally illuminate in colorful arrays of light to mark holidays won't be able to use any other colors. The goal of Ron's order is clearly to shut down any celebration of Pride Month.
Speaker 1: Yo, what is up? We brought the Sanders?
Speaker 3: I mean, I can't believe a guy who rocks three inch heels is such a dick.
Speaker 1: To the gay community.
Speaker 3: But by the way, by the way, red white and blue lights on crumbling infrastructure perfect metaphor for America. And it's so sad because having pride colors on bridges also prevent a lost straight people from killing themselves. Guys would be like, hey, I can't jump off this bridge.
Speaker 1: That's gay.
Speaker 3: But if you think it can't get a pettier than a ban on rainbow bridges as a buy in Idaho, saying hold my heterosexual beer, and Idaho bar.
Speaker 1: Is offering a break from a pride.
Speaker 6: Push that's being Forest Town Americans by declaring June to be Heterosexual Awesomeness Month. The Old State Saloon offering deals all month long, including hetero mail Monday when any heterosexual male get this who must be dressed like a heterosexual male gets a free pint of beer.
Speaker 3: You must be dressed like a heterosexual male.
Speaker 1: So this straight bar.
Speaker 3: Is going to be critiquing everyone's outfits as soon as they walk in the drawna.
Speaker 1: It sounds super straight to me.
Speaker 3: What what exactly not even saying here like our bar is so straight and will offering special gills to pack it entirely with dudes. I mean, you basically one brick away from being stonewall. Okay, So now I guess someone could argue that none of this stuff is explicitly anti gay, but just check out how Colorado Republicans are celebrating pride.
Speaker 7: The Colorado Republican Party is calling on people to burn all gay pride flags, proclaiming in a mass email to supporters that quote God hates pride. The Republican party's message attack so called godless groomers, and it echoes the anti gay slur used by Westboro Baptist Church protesters.
Speaker 3: Okay, awful story, but hang on, did wait? Did did Jesus have laser ice? Was that in the Bible? I mean, I knew he had powers, I didn't know he was in the x men. I don't get how anyone can be so angry about rainbow flags. I mean, it must be exhausting being that homophobic, you know, just eating a bag of Skittles like.
Speaker 1: No homo, No, no, no, no homo. It's no homo.
Speaker 3: So there's backlash of pride around the country, and guess what, some of those corporate allies are turning out to be fair weather friends.
Speaker 8: Target says it will no longer sell its Pride Month collection in all of its stores. The decision comes after conservative groups came upset over the chain's decision to sell LGBTQ themed merchandise last June. The company says the backlash harm sales.
Speaker 9: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Target stopped selling gay stuff, but the logo is literally a butthole.
Speaker 1: Well, you know that's it.
Speaker 3: From now on, I will be going somewhere else. To pretend to shop so I can poop in the bathroom. For more on the story, we go live to Targo. If our senior lesbian correspondent, Grace Coolansmith, Right, Greg, Greg, what's the feeling at Target?
Speaker 1: It's pretty amazing.
Speaker 10: Did you know if you use the self checkout machine, you don't have to pay?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't think that's right, but that's not what I'm talking about. How do people feel about a banging gay merchandise?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's so disappointing. Gay people just want equality. If Target wants to ban gay items, fine, but if they want to be equal, then they also need to ban all the straight items like golf clubs or cargo shorts are two and one shampoos.
Speaker 3: Wait, no, that's that's that's a shampoo I use. I mean it saves time and my head looks great. Yes, all right, So anyway, so straight items items that straight people use.
Speaker 10: No, it's more of a vibe. Every product has a clear orientation.
Speaker 1: Every product. Okay, what about like water bottles.
Speaker 3: Gay cell phone cases? Great, Okay, I think I get it. So a slotted spoon that feels gay.
Speaker 10: Slotted spoons are so straight they're serving nothing.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, what about what about sweaters straight.
Speaker 1: Dog sweaters gay? Electrical sockets gay?
Speaker 10: Obviously they're power bottoms.
Speaker 3: Okay, what about calculators, So.
Speaker 9: That one's interesting.
Speaker 10: Standard calculators are straight, but graphing calculators are gay because they're doing way too much.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I think I'm getting it. Print does as straight and humidify as a gay.
Speaker 10: Ronnie, don't out them.
Speaker 1: They haven't told their family yet. Okay, wait, shit, I'm okay, I'm sorry, I don't know what.
Speaker 9: Look.
Speaker 10: Hey, that's besides the point.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 10: Pride isn't about rainbow tank tops at Target. It's a way for the queer community to remember how far we've come from the violence and discrimination we once faced. And most importantly, it's about me hooking up with my ex girlfriend's ex girlfriend and a cabin in Vermont. Let's just say that I'm the electrical socket.
Speaker 1: Okay, good race, close for everybody. Let me come back.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you how to be patriotic so they don't go away.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to the damn show.
Speaker 3: You know, a lot of people complain that there's no good candidates in this presidential election, but it really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a president who can handle his lactose, or.
Speaker 1: You got Joe Biden.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for a president who only has one worm in his brain and is dead, then there's RFK Jr. And if you're looking for the most patriotic candidate, well there's no question who your favorite candidate is, Donald Trump. Now, some people would argue that Trump does not love America because he doesn't believe in its ideals, that maybe once in a while he tries to overthrow the government or whatever, but.
Speaker 1: Sure, maybe.
Speaker 3: But on the other hand, we know that Trump loves America because this dude loves hugging American.
Speaker 1: Flags all of that.
Speaker 3: No matter where he goes, if that's a flag next to him, you can be sure he's going to molest the hell out of it.
Speaker 1: But if you wish you.
Speaker 3: Could love something as much as Trump loves the flag, don't worry.
Speaker 1: There's a new product just for you.
Speaker 11: The American flag a symbol of freedom, justus holco Mania, and no one loves this goddamn gorgeous flag more than President Donald J. Trump. But now you can come pretty close, introducing the Trump Love flag. With this star spangled beauty, you can finally show the flag just how much it means to you. In the privacy of your own home. The Trump Love Flag is ready for your ultimate salute. And don't worry, it can keep a secret wet or dry. The Trump Love Flag is ready to serve. And while it should never touch the ground, it can touch everywhere else. And if your star spattered banner gets sticky for any reason, don't worry. It's dishwasher safe. You can love the flag like he does. The Trump Love Flag can be all yours for just one easy payment of one sixty nine ninety nine. And these stars and stripes come with their own discreete carrying case for the loan. The Patriot on the go, So spread her red wide and blue, mount her against the wall, introduce her to your parents. Act now and get a free vibrating flagpole the Trump Love Flag for your rocket's red glare medan.
Speaker 1: I won't come back.
Speaker 3: Dot Conrad rejoining me on the show, so don't go away.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Dea Show.
Speaker 3: My guests tonight is a conservative attorney who may be Donald Trump's biggest critic. Please welcome mister George Conway.
Speaker 1: Standing ovation, standing ovation. You are that hero. In many ways, you are got Trump. Okay, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, look your bona FIDE's impeccable. Hovard Yale, you argue in the Supreme Court.
Speaker 9: More importantly, stop.
Speaker 1: Half Asian.
Speaker 3: There you go, So I don't waste anyone's time. I really want to pick your brains with this, based on your expert legal opinion, this current Trump case, with this guilty verdict, what does this mean going forward? Is going to hold out?
Speaker 9: He's a criminal.
Speaker 3: He's a criminal for sure, But I'm thirty. But isn't this up for appeal?
Speaker 9: Gonna take? It's not gonna be appealed this year? I mean it will. The appeal will start this year. It can't start until after he's sentenced on July eleventh. Mark your calendar. And what are the chances of the you know, the I don't think they really have much on appeal. I don't. I mean I sat through a good chunk of the trial. I followed the issues. I don't think.
Speaker 3: I mean the main the main counter argument is that against this conviction. Is that correct me if I'm wrong?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: Is that the New York State does not have jurisdiction over a federal matter.
Speaker 9: No, that's that's that's a bogus argument, because what what what happens is that there's there are two levels of falsifying classified documents that you can be convicted for. One is a misdemeanor, which is second degree, and one is a felony with first degree. And to kick from second degree up to first degree, you have to commit some you have to have the intent to conceal or commit some other offense. And that offense was actually a state law offense. The state law offense is conspiring to influence an election by unlawful means, and the unlawful means can be violations of federal law or violations of state law. And there's really no question about that. And the jury, you know, I mean the jury was really fast. I mean, it wasn't really it wasn't a hard case at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: Oh so you don't feel that you feel it's pretty open and shut.
Speaker 9: No, I thought it was open and the verdict came in and I thought, you know, frankly, I thought a lot of the television covered was misleading. You know, I think there's this a tendency to make everything a horse race and make everything exciting. But the fact of the matter is, I mean the case was strong from the beginning, and the prosecution actually executed perfectly, and the defense kind of was a little messed up because they.
Speaker 1: Have a problem, and pray, tell, what might that be?
Speaker 9: The problem is they have some lunatic telling them what to do, and not all.
Speaker 3: Who are you referring to.
Speaker 9: There's this guy who was sitting there every day. He kind of orangey and was often he'd wake up and make a suggestion. It was not These were not good suggestions, and he doesn't really know what he's doing. He thinks he does well.
Speaker 3: The reason I like talking to you about the legal cases because you have a conservative background so and not not just that, but I always feel like you seem from from what I've heard and read from you, you always seem to have a pretty balanced, reasonable view on this and that's why when you discuss these cases, you always discuss it from a very legal and legal purview, and you're trying to try about this stuff. So when you say that he this is really open and shut. I kind of trust your opinion more than most people because I feel like you normally understand a law, but you come from that the jury agree, right, right, So there's that. Okay, Well, so that's one of the cases. And there's a few other kings. I mean, those other cases, I know, most of them probably not gonna We're not even going to hear about them before the election.
Speaker 9: Probably not. Although there's an outside shop that the January sixth case that's brought has been brought by the US Department of Justice in the district, there's an outside chance that trial could start in September or October. I wouldn't necessarily put a lot of money on it, but it's possible. It really depends on what the Supreme Court does in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Well for that case, what's your analysis on that one? Is that open shut or is that I think.
Speaker 9: It's I think it's pretty pretty strong. I mean, I I you just the charges that are are are in that case involved obstruction of an official proceeding, and and uh, he obviously tried to instruct the obstructive official proceeding by corrupt means, by, among other things, you know, intimidating the vice president. Also by you know, submitting these fake electoral certificates that that said that he, you know, was entitled to electoral votes in states where he lost the election.
Speaker 3: Okay, Shore, So then what's the other what what what's he going to argue?
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 3: What's the counter argument to all this?
Speaker 9: Oh, I was just validly contesting an election. It was my right to do that. I don't see, I don't really see what the what the what the substance of defense is there either, he doesn't really have one. And the one in the case where he's really really dead to rights is the one in Florida.
Speaker 3: Which is the just for those of us who are incapable of following this main legal cases, this is the one case.
Speaker 1: This is which was this was this one.
Speaker 9: This is the one where he stole the classified documents, like many many boxes. He took them to Florida. The government nicely asked for them back. He said, no, these are my these are my things. He's like a five year old. And and then they subpoenaed him for the documents and he said, oh, here are some of the documents back. And then he had his lawyers lie about the fact that he hadn't given all the documents back, and then he moved the documents around to hide them from the FBI, and finally the FBI had to execute a search warrant and take all the documents away from him. And that's basically it's like it's like a drug bust case. I mean, it's like somebody's running a meth factory and they come in and there's all the math.
Speaker 3: Right, so you know, But in other words, that's that should be open and shut.
Speaker 9: Should be that he should that case should have been tried already, and the charges in that case, a lot of the chargers got ten years in jail. You should that he should be in jail off of that all, okay, But but yeah, always.
Speaker 3: A buck but what but that's probably not going to Yeah, they have a problem.
Speaker 9: He got lucky. He drew this judge who I mean to put it, charit and he doesn't really know what she's doing. It seems to be favoring him, sure, And she's made a mess of the proceedings and it is continuing to make a mess of the proceedings. And I think that what's going to happen at some point is going to is if she does one more thing that's insane, and she's been reversed by the Court of Appeals in Atlanta twice on very harsh grounds. Frankly, if she makes one more big mistake, I think there's a chance that they can get her thrown off the case. But there's no way this case is going to get tried this year. I mean, look, the bottom line is, and this is always going to be true, the way that Donald Trump is going to get beaten is at the ballot box. And I'm pretty confident he will be.
Speaker 1: And you you'll gonna be real big yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, I mean that, you know, I'm thank you for optimism. I'm a little but you know, speaking of breaking at the ballot box. I mean, the other thing that's fascinating I think about your political journey is that you come from that world. You're bona fides. I'm sorry you don't come from that world, but you're you're the world's got a little messy right now, but you you know, bona fide conservative Republican. I think you worked on the case against Bill Clinton, and you've been Republican most of the adult life, that's fair to say.
Speaker 9: In fact, you know the time I was from a time I first voted in college.
Speaker 3: In fact, you celebrate when he won the first election, there's documentation of you celebrating, and you will.
Speaker 9: Himself some reasons, for some reason, he knows how to hurt a guy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know, right, but I mean to me, that gives even more credibility to what you're saying, you a way, because you're from there and you've seen it. And so what I guess the question is, when we go back to the ballot box, what would you say to other conservative people to convince them that, hey, like, maybe that's conservative there who are like, Look, I don't care what he says. He's good for the you know my tax reasons, he's good for business, he's tough. You know what, what is your argument against that?
Speaker 9: Look? I mean, I think there is a large swath of Republican Trump supporters who are beyond who are beyond persuasion, and I think we kind of have to accept that. I do think there are a number of there's a large percentage of people who are uncomfortable with Trump and especially uncomfortable with his attempt to overthrow the government of the United States and the constitution of the United States. Why stuff like that, you know, I mean, you know, we once believed in law and order, and now we have this party that's devoted to lying for a criminal. And I think there are a lot of Republicans who have deep concerns about that, as they should, and I think those concerns are going to come to the fore more as we focus on Donald Trump more as people are reminded of the things that he has done, the fact that he is now a convicted felon, that he is an adjudicated rapist, that he attempted to overflow the Constitution of the United States, and that he's just downright nuts. And I think that and I think one of the odd things about this trial is there's a lot of suggestion by Republicans that, oh, this trial helps him because it just binds him closer to his base because of the convictions and how he's being persecuted. And there is some truth to that. But the thing is he he was advantaged by the trial in the sense that it took him off the radar screen. He has been advantaged over the last three years since January sixth, because we've seen less of him, But we're going to see more of him like he was a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how many of you people saw this, But he was in wild Wood, New Jersey, talking about what a great guy Hannibal Lecter was.
Speaker 3: And you know, so you'll say, You'll say, they're saying the.
Speaker 9: More we see him, because remember during coronavirus, they were having these four to three four o'clock press conferences every day, and they got crazier and crazier, and finally, you know, people in the White House said we got to take them off, and that's you know, they're not going to be able to do that.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, you're giving you're trying to give us reasons for optimism, which I appreciate because I need some reasons for optimism because.
Speaker 9: Call me anytime your number.
Speaker 3: But but I do want to know, like, what would you say to what is the argument too? Because we're kind of preaching to acquire here a little bit. You know, we all know I think with a watching this, we appreciate you know, the algorithm has directed us to you because we all kind of think this guy's nuts, regardless of your actual political books.
Speaker 9: I got to actually say it. We we have not had a full national conversation about this man's pichological condition.
Speaker 3: He have we not I feel like I've been talking about every single days.
Speaker 9: The mainstream we say, oh, he's nuts, he's nuts. He's literally if you look up look him up in the in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, I'm five. He's a narcissistic sociopath, isn't He has a narcissistic personality disorder and he.
Speaker 1: Has sociopath And.
Speaker 9: What needs to be done is that needs to be talked about openly. It needs to be pointed out when he is doing things that meet those criteria, and it's got to be pointed out. And it drives him nuts when people do that. And that's the other thing is what you could do is you can have the cycle where you drive him nuts by saying he's crazy, he acts nuts. Then you have more video and say look at how nuts he is. And that's what has to be done. The other thing that I would recommend to liberals is don't get mad. The people who support Trump like when liberals get mad, that's why they like Trump. He makes all these people, these these these snotty liberals mad. It's like, make fun of him, don't don't. Don't at this. You can, you can make fun of him and mock him, you know the way, you know, I mean, this is what this.
Speaker 3: Is what the yah're kind of you're kind of addressing the right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't know. You guys, you all play an important role. Kimmel at the Oscars played it plays an important role. Laugh at him. Now, that doesn't mean you don't appreciate the seriousness of what would happen to this country, which is the other message to the rich people who want it, who want their taxes cut. It's like, if this guy's elected president, we're going to have civil disorder like you've never seen because he's going to try to violate every law and people are going to start objecting. You're going to see people on the streets, and what that's going to do to the economy is not great. You're going to see capital capital flow, both human and financial, like you've never seen from the United States before. And so all of these reasons, I think I think we're going to be able to explore this between now and November, and I think that's the reason why ultimately I think common sense will prevail and this guy will win, but the problem will still be there will be five sixty seventy eighty million people who will vote for the guy, and we still have to live with those people, and we're gonna have to deprogram him at some point.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, as always, thank you for analysis, Thank you for being intelligent, reasonable person.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. We should check out this podcast. Don Conway plays it all.
Speaker 3: They said, all on, well, John's conu everybody, and we're gonna take a quick break.
Speaker 12: I'll be right back after this. Hey, that's our hope for tonight.
Speaker 1: Now here it is your.
Speaker 9: Moment of then pardon the interruption. Manuel McCrone has shifted into English. Let's hear it. Shift it to English.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, let's hear it.
Speaker 3: Avoom under the Great Generation the nisign.
Speaker 5: It's gone as generation is the same word in English as in French.
Speaker 1: Because he's going back and forth.
Speaker 9: I think he's using some jazzer size there with his language.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 1: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and streamful episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast