Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is Master's in Business with Barry Ridholds on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: This week on the podcast finally I get Colin Camera in the studio to talk about neuroeconomics, behavioral finance, and really all the fascinating things he's been doing at Caltech for the past. Gee's been there for almost thirty years. Is that about right? He's really an interesting guy, not just because he has the mathematical and behavioral finance background, but because he essentially asked the question, what's going on inside our brains when we make decisions? What's happening before we even have a degree of awareness of our own decisions. I just find what he does fascinating, not just fmyes, but eye tracking and eg and galvanomic responses of the skin, and just on and on, all these different ways to measure what's going on with your hormones, what's going on pharmacologically within your body. It's both fascinating and terrifying because you come to realize what you think is a decision you're making, very often is a decision your brain is making with or without you. I found our conversation to be absolutely fascinating, and I think you will also with no further ado my sit down with Caltech Colin camera.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me so.
Speaker 2: I've been looking forward to having this conversation with you for a long time, not just because of my interest in behavioral finance, but because of the space you occupy in neuroeconomics. We'll talk a little bit about that in a bit, but let's start with your back, which is kind of astonishing. You get a bachelor's in quantitative studies from john Hopkins at seventeen, and then an MBA in finance and a PhD in decision theory from the University of Chicago at twenty one. That's a lot of school really quickly. What were the career plans? Were you thinking academia? Were you thinking finance?
Speaker 1: I was actually kind of not quite sure, So I got in. I went to Chicago Grad School for PhD in the now Booth School of Business. Because I had learned a little bit about finance. I took an independent study from Carl Christ who's a famous econometrician at Johns Hopkins when Gene Fama's book Foundations of Finance had just come out. In fact, I literally worked in the college bookstore part time, and I remember unpacking the box to have this Fama book, and so I immediately bought one, and you know, I was going to do this independent study and read through. And by the way, it really is some books often called Foundations of Blank. It really was Foundations, right, you know, it was the It was a summary in the nineteen seventy six, right, very early days. And so Carl christ had said, well, you should think about Chicago. That's a powerhouse place for finance. And so I started studying finance there and passed the prelam which is no which is no small feat that's very selective. And then I got interested in behavioral science because finance was really obsessed with market efficiency and you know, there was no behavioral science, behavioral finance in sight at that time. But there were other folks at at Chicago.
Speaker 2: Well, if I recall correctly, Dick Taylor was there early in the behavioral finance or did he end up there later, Yeah, he came later.
Speaker 1: He came later. So when I came in the late seventies, a lot of Nobel Prize winners were their Fama, Miller Shoals. I think Fisher Black might have just left for MIT and when I came, but it was pre Andre Schleifer and Ravishni who did a lot of interesting behavioral finance, and then Dick Taylor came, I think around nineteen ninety five, nineteen to.
Speaker 2: Six, and you were at cal Tech by then, right, just correct?
Speaker 1: So yeah, so Dick and I had just passed like ships in the night, and I regard that sometimes not having just stayed and you know it's been part of a new vanguard.
Speaker 2: Well, but you actually are part of a new vanguard because the work you do in neuroeconomics, which we're going to get into, especially fMRIs and all the other things you've done more or less created that space. I mean, that's pretty foundational. Behavioral finance has a number of fathers, including Dick Taylor and Danny Kahneman. So well, let's circle back to the neuroeconomics in a little bit. But I want to ask what led you into decision making research? How did you find yourself taking the background you had in quantitative studies and your PhD and m b a and and go into decision making.
Speaker 1: So I some of it was when I was in college at Johns Hopkins. I studied physics and math that was too abstract, and number theory was just too mind blowing, you know for me, like I'm just not going to work at that level. And then I studied psychology and that seemed like just kind of a list of things that happened to people, but there was no unifying wish squishy. And then economics, which I really only took a little bit of a lot fewer than my peers I later competed with in grad school, was kind of in between, like the Three Little Bears, you know, there was I love that, and there was people right you know, physics didn't have people, psychology didn't have math.
Speaker 2: Economics was kind of the right mix.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. And I think a lot of a lot of social scientists may feel that way, and the people who like math lest stay in psychology or go to sociology or something where the mathematical structure isn't You found the canon and the foundation.
Speaker 2: So what led you into game theory? You end up writing a book Behavioral game Theory that was published in three How does that relate to economics and decision making and investing?
Speaker 1: So in graduate school when I pivoted away from finance, there was a couple of psychologist Hilly Einhern and Robin Hogarth, who were interested in judgment decision making. They were doing things very similar to konomen and diversity. It was sort of somewhat mathematical attempts to understand actual human decision making, not really stylized like Bay's rule and optimization. You know, those are good things to know, but they were interested in deviations from those and what that might tell us and what the practical value. So that's what I ended up doing in grad school. Game theory came a little bit later because at Chicago at that time, in the late seventies, there was hardly any interest in game theory for peculiar reasons. They were, you know, the economic world was dominated by price theory supplying demand like Gary Becker, you know, there was a lot going on. Game theory just was not flourishing there. But my first job was as an assistant professor in Northwestern and that happened to be, through just historical coincidence, a hotbed of great game theory. Paul Milgram was there, Banked Holmestrom was there, Robert Weber, who worked on lots of things on auction theory, Dave Barren, who was interested in political economy, and you know, political systems as games. So Milgrim and Holstrom went on to win Nobel prizes and went to other places. So it was sort of this incubator place that then, you know, like a incubator like Hewlett Packard and things like that, where people then went off to do other stuff. And so I basically learned game theory in my first job as AISTM professor, and that game theory is similar to behavor economics. The standard theory that everyone teaches in every introductory course is people arend and make the best choices given what they think others will do, and they're correct guessing about what others do. Like a bunch of people who played poker with each other, you know, every Friday night for decades, they kind of know what the tells are. But we were interested in what happens before you get to this kind of what's called Nash equilibrium, you know, where everyone is guessed correctly what everyone's going to do. And so to me, there was a huge room for understanding the psychology of strategic thinking in game theory.
Speaker 2: So that's really interesting to me. I always found the traditional economic homo economists of humans as rational calculating profit maximizing actors is just complete contradiction of real life experience. How did you go from your initial interest in behavioral finance into neuroeconomics, where you're looking at the biological underpinnings of what happens as people make decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the neuroeconomics to me was sort of a natural extension of behavior economics, which was We're going to grab from any interesting data and different ways of thinking about humans outside of standard economics and kind of pull it in and try to, you know, generate a kind of hybrid. It was almost like an import export business. And I'm going to import some psychology or dicktale or imported from konomon and what is this going to tell us about fairness and reference points and loss aversion what have you? And neur economics seem to me like just another thing to do. Part of it is my personality is kind of like intellectual entrepreneurship. So I liked you know, doing different things. You know, over the years, I've worked on lots of different methods and with different groups of people, and neureconomics was just a chance to do something even more dramatic.
Speaker 2: And tell us about your patent on active learning decision engines. What on earth is that?
Speaker 1: So active learning is the commuter scientist term is sometimes called dynamic adaptive learning. For basically, like if I was going to try to figure out how much you like risk, like you were a client, and if a financial advisor is asking you know, I might start by saying, well, here's a portfolio. Is this too risky or not risky enough? And if you say, nah, that's not risky enough, you know, I'd rather go for more, and then I would give you a better one that's a little has a little more risk in it. And in chemistry it's called titration. You know, you kind of change the mixture of the chemicals. And so for each person, you're asking them a dynamic, customized set of questions to get to the best answer as quickly as possible, and that's called active learning. So one of my colleagues at Caltech at that time, Andreas Krauss, was studying he was a Gonna Better scientist. So they're always on the frontier of how to get the truth faster and subject to computational constraints, like you know, because sometimes it's not just a question. I'm getting there, but can you do it in real time so you don't have to wait half an hour, you know, to ask the next highly unformative question. And so the patent was just a a method that Andreas and another guy who now works like Google, I believe Daniel Goldman and me had worked on to apply this in a particular way. And so it was basically a software pattern. There was an Advazon pattern on an algorithm.
Speaker 2: So you're asking people questions, how do you know they're giving you honest answers? And I asked that question for very specific reasons that will be evident in a moment. How do you know the answers are legitimate?
Speaker 1: Okay, So in experiment economics, one of the main rules, like a commandment, is we almost always pay people unless we can't, like with children sometimes or what have you. We almost always pay people money or something we know they value based on the decisions they made. So when we do these kind of risk assessments, again not with clients, but say in a simple experiment for modest amounts of money twenty bucks, fifty bucks, what we'll do is we say at the end, we're going to pick one of the things you said you wanted, and we're going to actually play that for money. And if you if you don't tell us what you really wanted, you're gonna get stuck with something.
Speaker 2: So you're creating an incentive for them to be somewhat honest.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: The reason I ask we're recording this about two weeks before the twenty twenty four presidential election. I wrote something a month ago about why polling errors are really a behavioral problem because when you ask people who you're going to vote for, what you're really asking is not just their preference, but hey, you're gonna get your lazy butt off the couch and go to the library and vote. And I assumed, hey, there's an era of five, six seven percent built into that, and that's why polls are so bad. Researching your work about hypothetical bias, I was shocked the data that you came is when you ask people if they're going to vote, about seventy percent say they will, In reality, just forty five percent of them do. That's a massive error of twenty five percent. What value is there in polls when people have no idea what they're really going to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean I think the best post are know that, and so they try to phrase the question or gather some other data. But this is often called acquiescence or yes bias. Right, so you say, people, are you planning to vote? Oh, yeah, I'm planning to vote, Well, you're going to Are you going to not vote because it's too Yeah, I may not vote.
Speaker 2: What happens if it rains, what happens if you're busy.
Speaker 1: So you can often get numbers in it up to more than one hundred percent. Are you having to vote? No, you have seventy percent. Yeah, I probably won't vote fifty five percent. That's one hundred and twenty five percent current. The math doesn't math, and you see it. Particularly. One of the things we study was product purchases. So when you show people new products and say, you know, you think you'd be interested in this, you get way too many yes's. And that's one recent new products fail. It is because somebody who's the product champion inside the firm, like in a consumer products company, looks at this polling date and says, see, see you know, give me money to roll this out in a test market. So what one of the things we have done is to try to see if we didn't, we'd wro'te a few papers on this, but I don't feel like we exactly crack the nut was to see if a combination of what people look at if you measure where their eyes are looking, like how often they look back and forth between a price and a product, and maybe brain signals can help us predict when they say, yeah, I'm going to vote, are they really going to vote or not?
Speaker 2: And neuroeconomics, as as I've learned about it through you is you're putting people in a functional MRI machine. You're asking them a series of questions, and you're identifying what parts of the brain are actually lighting up.
Speaker 1: Correct exactly so that so and and by the way, ephraimri is glamorous and fantastic, but there's lots of other methode that they are used as well. You know, it's unnatural because people are in this tube. It's very loud. You know, if you want to study a phobic, if you want to study close to probi, you cannot, you know, because the closer roobics won't go in there. But it does give you a picture of the whole brain. And in the in the case of the we need some experiments where we show people to consumer good and in one condition. The first part of the experiment we say, you don't have to actually buy this, but just tell us, you know if it was on sale for this price, like yes, no, strong, yes, weak yess. So we get a four point scale and then we surprise them and say, now we're going to show you some different products and these are going to actually buy. So if you say yes and we choose that one out of this.
Speaker 2: Bin, you get it.
Speaker 1: You have you have to buy it. Well, we give you some money and we're going to take the price out and give you the residual money and the product, and you're going to leave here with this product or I think some of them we have we mail it to them at Amazon is something we actually had products there in a box. And so the question is what's going on in the brain when they're seriously thinking about buying something for real versus hypothetical, which is like a survey, right, And what we found was the tricky part is to predict when people say yes, hypothetical, but the brain says no, you know, can you can you see a brain?
Speaker 2: Can you identify that?
Speaker 1: Uh? Modestly well?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And it turns out the most. There's two interesting markers. One is there's a very old area in the brain, old you know, evolutionary yes, called the mid brain, which is actually where all of the dopamina drid neurons live and then and then connect to middle areas of the brain called basoganglia that are kind of computing reward and value. And then frontal cortex, which is really putting together the modern the modern exactly like it's like a thinking cap on top of the monkey brain. And in the mid brain there's a stronger signal when they say yes and they actually do do yes hypothetical and it's a yes reel. There's a stronger signal than when they say yes hypothetical no real. So it's almost like way upstream in the brain if if if in that region they say yes, I'm gonna buy it hypothetically, there's enough activity they're gonna buy it.
Speaker 2: So my general sense of this, and I'm curious as to how you what the reality is, my sense of it is, on the one hand, people are social animals and they want to be agreeable and say yes to people. On the other hand, we really don't know what the hell we want, especially if you're talking about something six months from now. I guess the tricky part is how do you get people in MRI machines when you have a question for them. We can't even get people to pick up their phone to answer polls. How difficult is it to get subjects to go through this process? Or are these all mostly undergraduates and you know their lab rats? You can do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Some of them are undergraduates, although in Caltech they're very unusual human beings because they're actually useful. They're very useful labrats who pay for economics because the media and matthe Is et Is eight hundred, they're the most mathematically skilled except.
Speaker 2: For that's a perfect score, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Like exactly, that's the perfect score, like Harvey mud Mit. There are other places that have, you know, similarly hyper analytical kids. So if like if they can't do something like a computation easily, nobody can. So it's very useful establishing like bounds on rationality. You know that people. We often get critiques like well, you wouldn't get bubbles if people were smart enough, Like, well, we have the smartest people and you get bubbles.
Speaker 2: It's got less to do with the frontal cortex and intelligence and everything with that, the limbic system and the lizard brain back.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, so they have they have all the things in the brain they have, they have other skills that are cordically expressed. But so in a lot of these MRI studies we also use. We work pretty hard actually to get regular folks from the community who and who you know are different ages. You know, we we don't really have a representative sample, although you could, you could try to get pretty close in southern California, and then we we we almost always never do a study this just take outing undergrads because we worry about the robustness across right, It is true in the case of something like trying to get brain signals to break when people will actually buy products. The other type of study we've used to involves eye tracking and things like that, and it turns out that when when you ask people hypothetical questions, would you buy that? You don't really have to buy this, but would you, they just don't look at the price that much, and when they're really shopping, they really look at the price. So one way to tell whether people are being serious in expressing a genuine what I'm going to really do, it is just something like how much time they spend looking at the price and looking back and forth. And there may be other like if if if it was consumer products company was trying to use FROMRI or other methods. There are others that are much more portable, like EEG, and you can get a pair of glasses you walk around and it, you know, it records where your eyes looking. So there are there are things you can do outside of the confines of a campus lab. I think we would just look for things that are that are easy, easily seen biomarkers of this mid brain activity of f MRI, because we're never gonna be able to do that, you know, at scale in a shopping mall or something.
Speaker 2: So let's go through each of these. We know what fMRI is, right, you're in an MRI machine. EEG and SCR. Tell us what those do.
Speaker 1: So eg's electro and cephalography and it's basically all the little things on your electrodes. If your ball like me, that's good for seasons. You know, if you're a supermodel with big puffy Texas beauty pageant hair, then no good, no good.
Speaker 2: So you're measuring electrical activity in the brain, and you could really specify where it is by you know, just triangulating with all the different leads that you have spect.
Speaker 1: Exactly so the you know, you can put sixteen to one hundred and twenty eight different electrodes. The signals are very weak, but the advantage of EG is it's really fast. So if you want to study something like thinking fast and slow, you know, like if I show you a picture of a person, you have a snap reaction that they're scary or they're someone you want to vote for, then FRI is too slow because it measures these blood flow signals that take like one or two seconds to show up.
Speaker 2: But like one, one or two seconds is too slow for.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot is going on in the in the first two seconds where people are thinking out of a decision that's really interesting necessarily you know, which mortgage to finance, their refinance their house in.
Speaker 2: Or literally system one thinking fast is exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's the term psychologist. Social psychology use is also called thin slicing, which is that and the thin slices on the order of meaning a very aggregate, somewhat confident judgment is made within you know, ten seconds, thirty seconds, there's a big literature, and we're interviewing about this that, you know, face to base interviewing. Unless you're really trained to have a comparable interview for different people, you know, the first couple of minutes of the interview, you're kind of making up your mind. At least a lot of studies indicate that.
Speaker 2: And SCR is what so SCR.
Speaker 1: Skin conducted response, also called galvanic skin response. And so basically it turns out when people are aroused in any any direction, it doesn't tell you good or bab, but it just tells you arousal. You have this detectable increase in sweating you can measure in the fingers.
Speaker 2: So and in all of these things, you're actually taking measurements, not asking people things. And one of the quotes that caught my attention. Since most of our brain activity goes on without our awareness subconsciously, we cannot solely rely on individual's accounts when analyzing their behavior. How important is the concept of the subconscious to neuroeconomics.
Speaker 1: It's pretty important. So the saying we use is sometimes you want to ask the brain rather than ask the person, uh huh. And there's some there's some extreme ways in which that works. For example, if I show a face of somebody who's expressing fear but only for thirty milliseconds, which is one movie frame right right, and then a mask when you're meeting another face right on top that's neutral, or in another condition, I show a happy face, very enthusiastic, and then neutral mask. If you ask people did you see a happi or fearful face, they say, like, I have no idea, I didn't see I didn't see either one. But if you look at amigdal activity, which is a region that's known to be rapidly detecting potential threats and including fear, the amignal activity will respond to fear, not in thirty milliseconds, not not happiness in the same way. So the brain knows, it's just that it doesn't get to the like the publicists desk, you know, good consciousness.
Speaker 2: So I'm so glad you said it that way. So don't ask the person, ask the brain. How do you think of the different parts of the brain. So obviously the amygdala and any of the is it fair to say that's part of the limbic system. Yes, So when you're talking about the publicist. What portion of the brain we just discussing, Well.
Speaker 1: In terms of sheer territory, it's probably not very much. Four brain, hind brain were prefrontal cortex would be. And there's a lot of sensory procection that's going on, you know, pre conscious or like before we could say, you know, motion to something or use words to explain what's going on. I think it's it's it's genuinely hard to pin down a number. Like you know, if I read, for example, it's ninety percent subconscious and ten percent conscious, I don't know if that's right, and it may vary across life cycle. So you know, we usually were reluctant to pin down a number. I think it's fair to say that there's a lot of things that are going on we usually say implicitly that are not People aren't explicitly aware of enough enough to make it very interesting.
Speaker 2: So whenever I hear people talk about, you know, things happening within the brain that you're not aware of, I always think of the split brain experiments and tell us a little bit, what does that reveal about our decision making process.
Speaker 1: So the split brain was actually first explored by Roger Sperry at Caltech actually in his student Mike Zaniga, you know, made a big chunk of career over out of it. And so the split brain patients means they don't have much communication between left and right hemispheres.
Speaker 2: Corpus colosum is that right, So these are the one I remember was it was some seizure or epilepsy, and they found cutting that stop the seizures. But then your left brain and your right brain don't really communicate anymore exactly.
Speaker 1: So for example, so if you have a breakdown of corpus closum, the right and left aren't really communicating despite the right brain left brain. Most modern ner as signists don't think there's that much specialization. There's some interesting kinds, but one kind that's pretty rugged is languages mostly in the left brain and regions called broke because area of Wernicke's area. And we know that because you know, when you have specialized damage in that area, you can see people start to talk differently, like they can remember they can't remember words.
Speaker 2: But the aphasia, yeah, I remember reading about people who can speak, could write, but couldn't read. Just all sorts of wacky things happen when when those two areas are down correct exactly.
Speaker 1: So there are these very localized, pretty well understood A phaseias that have to do with local damage. So there's there's often what we call plasticity where another part of the brain will take over. So if you had some damage as a young child, it might be that the A phaseia, you know, another another part of their brain like takes over that function. But if it happens later in life, not so anyway. So language is somewhat specialized the left region. So, for example, if someone with a and the sensory systems are contralateral, so the right side of the brain sees the left side of a picture, left side sees the right side. So suppose I show you on the left of a picture a picture of a friend of yours, and I asked the person, if you see this friend of yours, what might what what gesture might you do? Or what might you if you see a friend here as opposed to a house or a shovel, what would you do? And the person waves their hand and then you ask them why did you wave your hand? Now, the left side of the brain has to answer the question because that's the language area. But the left side doesn't know that the right side saw a friend and that's why they waved. So the left side makes stuff.
Speaker 2: Up, confabulates an explanation for why they're waiting exactly.
Speaker 1: It's like the publicist for you know, for a very guilty person and or Mike is not get calls it the interpreter. So the interpreter says, I don't really know why, so I'll kind of make give a plausible answer, and they'll say something like, oh, I saw somebody I knew walking by out the window outside. So that's an example of where we know what the brain saw and why the wave occurred, but the left part of the brain doesn't know that.
Speaker 2: That's really that's really fascinating. Let's stay with the idea of tracking eye movement. So you could do this with glasses. You can do with this with a computer. When you're tracking eye movement, asking people about, hey, would you purchase this product? How big of a tael is it? When they look at the price and is it something they just kind of glance at or is it a repeated and obvious they're focusing on the cost.
Speaker 1: There's there's sort of two interesting markers. For number one, it's not that big of a tell. So if we try to predict whether they're going to actually buy something, we might get say forty two percent right, and with the eye tracking data it might get up to like fifty four, you know. So as academics we think that's kind of a modest effect size. Now, if you're running a business and you want a two percent lift and purchase maybe a billion dollars, right, So sometimes we're a little cautious as academics about is this a big deal or not? I'm going to where's some of these things? The same in the world of nudges and so on. Sometimes a small you know what, a half increase and get out the vote. If we could do that, you know, scientifically, may well decide an election. Right anyway, So the lift is not that big, but the two taels are basically looking at the price, and the other is refixation, which basically means not just looking once but going back and forth. You know. It's the it's the rapid brain equivalent on a one or two second basis of say a couple who's shopping for a house, going to look at a second time and a third time, you know, the repeated looking.
Speaker 2: Right, usually a good signal exactly tells you the serious Huh. That's really interesting. So give us some examples of what the studies or the experiments look like. When you're doing eye tracking, What are you trying to What parts of the brain are you looking at? Or is it just the eye tracking? Is it is this by itself or can you combine this with other types of neuroeconomics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, actually the eye trackers we use, which are commercially made for some iis basically and sometimes for clinical use, they use cameras to look at what the where the eye is looking and they sync that up with where on the computer screen you're looking. And so besides the location of where the eyes are looking, you also measure pupil dilation. And pupil dilation turns out to be, you know, the eyes that they went into the soul, so that the pupils actually generate a lot of information. Although it's it's crude, what the people dilation is telling you is about cognitive difficulty. Am I having a hard time thinking about this? And arousal, which again may be negative or positive.
Speaker 2: It's like, so wide pupil is you aroused.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly? And so I think if you train yourself and maybe depending on the color of the eyes, you might be able to tell, like a poker player might be able to train themselves with a to notice pupil dilation, but just in case. That's why poker players often will wear glasses because these unglasses, right, Because the idea is, if you look at your cards and you have two ass your people will dilate like and it might be hard to see with the naked eye, but the machines we use can definitely see it. That would be a big jump, you know, a big tell. And so we're able to use people dilation and I tracking to judge things like cognitive difficulty. A lot of the early studdies actually were used in game theory because in game theory, the assumption is if I might want to see what my opponent's payoff is in order to decide what they're going to do. And if you ask people what are you looking at on this computer screen? You know, there's there's a four by four matrix of numbers, and I'm trying to think of what you're going to do. There's a lot to look at. And if you ask people for a self report, they're not going to tell you exactly what their eyes are during the whole time, they're probably looking at forty two different things, sometimes very quickly. Sometimes they're going back and looking again and again and again. They just don't have conscious access to that process the way that the eye tracking does.
Speaker 2: So that's really fascinating that speaking to the brain but not the person gives you a whole lot more insight into the decision making process. Speaking generally, what does this tell us about people, as you know, rational profit seeking actors in the world of finance and investing.
Speaker 1: I think it's useful to think about, say, young naive investors, or that they may to be young, but people who have less knowledge about the markets, and people who spend a lot more time thinking about estimating fundamentals reading ten K's, you know, having years of trading experience. Because another important facts which we try to keep track of and biro economics is that a lot of decisions and structures people have to make are not things that we're necessarily evolved to be particularly good at. But people are also extremely good at learning and able, you know, to like collect memories and distill things into into knowledge. So let me turn to the concept of price bubbles because I think that's a useful one. So we have a couple of one fMRI study on price bubbles, and we have some new stuff that includes skin conductive's measurement to see if you know, can you kind of predict when a crash is coming from people's hands, you know, reflecting nervousness. It looks like we can predict a little, but not great. You know, that's a high mountain to climb. What we found in our first fMRI study about bubbles was people trade an artificial asset, so we know the value, the fundamental value the asset, which we never know in you know, in natural markets, and that the price is completely what they agree upon. So typically what happens is that the fundamental value is a number that we control, which happens to be fourteen, and the value the asset comes from the fact that if you hold at the end of a period of trading, you get a dividend, or you can invest currency in risk free bonds, and so the trade off between the risk free earnings and the value of the dividends establishes an equlibrium price. It's a very simple equation, and typically the price starts around fourteen, it goes up to maybe twenty or thirty and then crashes. And then in order to bring the experiments to a close, we have them trade for fifty periods or thirty periods, and at the end they were able to cash the assets out at fourteen.
Speaker 2: So what would you pay for an asset that you'll get fourteen for correct after a series of dividends thirty or fifty trading periods exactly.
Speaker 1: And so put yourselves in the mind, said of somebody who in period thirty one the price is sixty, and you kind of know that in period fifty nineteen periods from now it's going to be fourteen. So well, unless you think it's going to go up to seventy five, right, So it's true. In fact, that's very helpful for me. So what we found from the brain was that there's two interesting signals, soh sort with the more interesting one. The other one's a little more obvious. The interesting signal is people who sold before the bubble crash, which is the smart thing to do. And again, the bubble crash is not announced. It's something you only see a store cooking back and of your mirror, right.
Speaker 2: Same in natural markets exactly.
Speaker 1: Just like a national markets, right, bubbles are only shown in hindsight. Gene Falum has written a lot about this. That's one reason he's skeptical that we should even talk about bubbles, you know, as a scientific phenomens.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think it goes too far with that, but anyway, anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean. So it turns out the people who are more likely to sell when the price is at sixty and we know it's going to crash, but we're not sure when have heightened activity and insular cortex, which is another region that's involved in emotion and interception. So interception means.
Speaker 2: Knowing what's going on on the inside of your own body, like a self awareness exactly.
Speaker 1: So perception is the outside world. Interception is the brain's like the body's ambassadorship to the brain, you know, knowing if I'm nervous or And it's often activated by, particularly by negative emotions. So if you see something disgusting, insula, if you choke a person a little bit, or you you know, you cut off the oxygen, not so it's dangerous, but just to make them uncomfortable. Insula, financial uncertainty, the insula. And so we think of the insula is the early warning signal that there's going to be a crash. And the other interesting brain region is nucleus the cummins, which is basically a reward center and it's called straightum part of basoganglia in the very center of the brain, and that's active in the people who are fueling the bubble. Like when the bubbles, you know, forming the people who have the highest nucleus incumbans activity by the most.
Speaker 2: So you have a run of traders participating in this, and you could tell by the brain activity who's contributing to the bubble and who's saying, this is getting crazy. I want to take my chips off the tails now.
Speaker 1: Number one, we can't tell with exquisite precision. You know, you can sort of see these groups, and we're only looking at this X post. So I think it's it's conceivable but challenging to do this in real time, you know. So there's you're watching the market unfold. You're doing real time from eye measurement that can be done, and it's like, okay, traders seven, nine and eleven, you know, we think they're probably going to sell. There the skeptics, they're the bulls and fourteen, seventeen and twenty one. Their new kidcombanis Activity. Seems they're really all in. They're going to be forming the bubble and so on and so on. I mean, we're a few steps away from be able to do it, but we see these what we call proofs of concept like it can be done. It may take a few million dollars if any donors are listening.
Speaker 2: But it makes perfect sense that that is possible. Different parts of the brain are responding to different inputs, and it's consistent with what we've observed amongst sure, you know, just various investors and traders. There are people with as the you know, in the latter stages of a bull market, they think it's just going to keep going forever and they pile in. And the flip side of that, there are people the famous irrational zuberance speech by Alan Greenspan in nineteen ninety six. You still had a ton of gains until the March two thousand and top. So some people, I'm just curious what drives that. Now that you know what to look for and how to measure it in traders in real time, what do you think is the underlying drivers of whether a person is going to be participating in one tribe or the other.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. I'll say a little tiny bit more about that. You mentioned the term irrational exuberance, which was coined, as I recall, by Bob Shiller in his book about.
Speaker 2: I think it was from the Irrational Zuberant speech. Schiller may have helped Greenspan with that speech, if I'm remembering, because I've seen I've seen both, whether it was Schiller's phrase or green Span.
Speaker 1: It maybe it maybe, you know, it's kind of some you know, some apocryphal. You know, we're not sure exactly who said it first, but certainly there was a kind of meeting of the minds that this was useful. And in fact, when we didn't we use the phrase in our paper, but we didn't put it in the title. It just seemed a little too unscientific. It's okay for USA today or something. But this is the proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, you know, And but we think of this nucleus incumbents activity. That's that's the measure of irrational exuberance. And the irrational part is, you know, when it's too high, you're gonna end up paying a high price for something it crashes fast. So this irrational is really in there. Literally. But yeah, and and also we when I present this in academic summers and later today i'm meeting some Caltech people, we talk about this famous saying from Warren Buffett. I believe when people are afraid, be greedy, when people ready be afraid. And this brain areas like insula is similar to fear and greed and inclusivecumbents. You know, it's about as close you're going to get to brain areas matching what Warren Buffett had to say, which was such a wise thought.
Speaker 2: So you really kind of answered the question I was about to ask, which is why has behavioral economics been so successful describing decision making where traditional economics seems to have faltered. But what you're really saying is we don't know what's going on in our brain when we're making decisions as individuals, And when you look underneath the hood, it turns out there's a lot more things happening than at least classical economics seems to imply.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly exactly. And also, this isn't something we've carefully researched, but I think it's a good speculation for your audience, which is like when I was going to Chicago in the late seventies, all my gratitude and friends were also kind of critics of Nobody liked Bay of economics at that time, though oh really, oh yeah it was you know, people said things like I think, you know, I'm worried you might be ruining your career because you switched out of finance and well, and what it was was there was a series of critical questions which were, but if people make all these mistakes, couldn't someone profit from you know, arbitrage or from selling them crappy goods, Like well, it seems like that may happen, you know, Or if people make these mistakes, don't they learn over time not to make mistakes? That may also happen, and maybe that there's a sucker born every minute. But there's a you know, a generational process, and markets are always filled with some combination of new investors or you know, sovereign funds of people who aren't very savvy about markets or something like that. So early in the history of behaval economics, there was really a lot of hostility about it, and then we gradually one thing about Chicago, and the economics profession in general is data do win arguments, so ideology will often persist, like for Gene Fama, for example, he's he'll always be skeptical about behavioral finance for his own reasons, and you know, their ideas. But eventually data went arguments, and there were you know, there were just so many anomalies and ways in which investors were making mistakes. And it wasn't just small investors, you know, who were refinancing their mortgage mistakenly. It was you know, some of these implicit things maybe very big, you know, like venture capitalists joked about how well you know when I think of Mark Zuckerberg and a hoodie, and that's kind of my template for a good founder to invest tens of millions of dollars. Hey, like, that's not as sophisticated, that's not how economics.
Speaker 2: And I recall reading one of the papers Bob Schiller wrote was looking at divinend yield and saying, if if markets are fully pricing in all data, why does this divin and yield swing around so much? It should be much more consistent than this correct, but apparently it's not. I just I was very amused by Fama and Schiller being awarded the Nobel together. It's almost says if the committee said, look, markets are kind of efficient, and except when they go crazy, you two guys work it out.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, it was quite a It was kind of a charming and I think sensible award for that reason. And the you know, the journalist said like, well is there you know, one person says a is true, one says A is not always true? Like how could you give that award? The answers they both made made a lot of progress, you know, in different ways.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about some of the other ways that we can look inside. Are we looking at things like adrenaline or dopamine or any of the sort of hormones that seem to affect our behavior when when we're trying to analyze decision making.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, actually that's a very good question, Barry. New economics uses a lot of different methods. The fMRI is sort of like, you know the movie star and a family with four sisters, you know, the glamorous one that everyone pays attention to, but it's actually high maintenance. And then but all the other siblings are you know, kind of contributing in some interesting way. So pharmacology is something people are really interested in.
Speaker 2: Meaning specifically pharmacology drugs that aren't yes, pharmacolo.
Speaker 1: So pharmacology is drugs, but some of those, for example, el dopa will actually ramp up dopamine levels and you can see if some interesting things happen.
Speaker 2: El Dopa is a drug you can consume correct in order to raise your dopamine exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's it's al Dopa's basically administrative. So Parkinson's patients have a degradation of dopamine and so to kind of ramp them up to normal levels. Al dopa is often used in treatment.
Speaker 2: Pharmacology is one what are some of the other forces, So we.
Speaker 1: Do look at neurotransmitters like oxytocin, argoniine Vasopressint is one that we've studied.
Speaker 2: Isytocin sounds a lot like OxyContin any correct overlap.
Speaker 1: No exactually, so oxytocin is is sometimes called as like an affiliation hormone. So for example, if you get a really pleasurable massage, you might feel a surge of oxytocin. When my wife was giving birth, they often to induce labor. They often give somebody synthetic oxytocin, and oxytocin is also produced after birth and when the mom is first coming, the baby and probably the dad, although maybe less. You know, it's this very pleasurable thing that makes you want to like hug somebody and feel affiliated. It's affiliated. It's this sort of bio term. So there's a bunch of studies on oxidosins yesting that improved trust. But there's a cautionary tale, which is me and some colleagues went back and looked at those carefully, and it seems that giving people artificial is giving people oxytocin for a modest dose and then see what happens, you know, an hour later. It improves trust a little bit, but it's scientifically very very tricky and some of the standard results if you do the same exact experiment over again, you just don't always get the same result. So we don't know how sturdy oxytocin is.
Speaker 2: What What are some of the other chemicals you mentioned neurotrano When.
Speaker 1: We studied I'll say a little bit of was argonon vasopressin, So that's another hormone which is similar to oxytocin, and that when when animals are bonding in groups, this organon vasopressant sort of you know, you'll get a surge and it shows that.
Speaker 2: So when you say bonding in groups, I'm thinking of a wolf pack or a hyena pack, where yes, they're cooperative species that work together, and there are chemicals that contribute to that. Is that Is that what we're suggesting exactly?
Speaker 1: So part of me.
Speaker 2: Wants to say we're just meat sex operating obliviously to what's going on underneath our skin, where we think it's free will, But it sounds like there's a lot of things happening below the surface that's really influencing our decision making.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh absolutely. I mean think about things like breathing. You know, breathing is so automatic, then when we stop and do sort of breath work and try to think about it, like the Navy seals might have a breathing exercise to calm down before a terrifying thing they have to take. You know, it actually takes a lot of executive function to think about breathing because we never have.
Speaker 2: To because it's automated.
Speaker 1: Because it's so automated. So the fact that it's actually grabs a lot of attention is because the automation is we've completely flipped back in the opposite situation. Let me tell you Urgan investor Pressen's study. We did. So. There's a game similar to prison die Lemma, but not the same, called the Stag hunt game, and the idea is two people decide to show up in the morning and hunt for a stag is a very old fashioned name from the Jean jau Bussau and the sixteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: We're talking about a male elk or deer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an elk or deer. Yeah. The point of the stag is it's so big that no one person can't catch themselves. One person has to spot and the other a shoot or something like that, or they cannot show up in the morning at the appointed spot and just hunt for rabbits on their own. And so the structure of the game when we do it with money or reward with animals is you get one point if you just go for rabbit. If you both hunt for stag, you get two if you hunt for stag. But if you show up by yourself prepared to hunt for stag, you can't catch it and you get zero. And so the choosing a rabbit is choosing one and not helping your friend both showing up for STAG is better for the both of them, but they have to somehow coordinate that activity. And so what we found was when you give people this AVP and it's a crossover design, which means sometimes they get AVP and sometimes they get a placebo because there's a well known placebo effect where if they think maybe they got the a VP, it might subconsciously affect the behavior. So we always control for placebo effects, just like in drug trials, you know, the same thing very routine. When you give them a VP, they're more likely to choose STAG, which is the socially risky and beneficial thing. It's like it generates this willingness to join the group in a way that's going to help better everybody if another if you people join. And the other thing that was really nice in this paper was we also used fhor Mari. So we had two groups of people with administering a VP, one group of scan and one was not scan, which is just to see, like to replicate, do you get the same behavioral thing if they're not. You know, boom boom boom in the scanner and in the scanner you see activity globist palatue, which is known to be it's a small region. It's not one of the more familiar areas you know that show up a lots over and over in economics like Bezo Ganglia, A Magdola, Nsula, PFC. But you do see activity globist paladue when people under a VP are choosing STAG, So it looks like the the a VP is sort of promoting this STAG choice.
Speaker 2: But when we see people working cooperatively, you see a similar neurotransmitter as you do in the.
Speaker 1: Path and it's and it's and it's causal. Right, So these are the group of people and sometimes they just get this.
Speaker 2: Drug and it makes them want to cooperate.
Speaker 1: And it makes them want to cooperate in a way that with this risky it benefits the group. But we sometimes think of it it overcomes their inhibition to be well, I don't know if you're going to choose STAGG, and I don't know if you're going to show up well.
Speaker 2: The prisoner's dilemma is you're always better off throwing the other person under the bush.
Speaker 1: This is not that because here's the other person helps out, you want to help out too. It's the best response. So it's different structurally than the prison's dilemma.
Speaker 2: So I keep coming back every time I read a new anything about behavioral finance, new economics, anything about this. I can help but come back to the conclusion that all of our evolutionary biology has led us to a state where we're so well adapted to adjusting to changes in the natural world, and all of those things that have developed over the millennia really don't help us in the modern world. If anything, it's probably certainly in investing. It seems to be pretty problematic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. In fact, that's called the evolutionary mismatch hypothesis.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I didn't know it had a name.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, So tell us about it, called the Ritholts if only so, this mismatch is simply we evolve to adapt on the savannah, and that doesn't help us figure out which bonds to buy.
Speaker 2: Is it that simple?
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. So another way to think of it is is institutions. Sometimes it's families, it's political advertisement. It might be fine print about fees in a you know, in a financial advertisement. Those are all things that are kind of tricking or exploiting vulnerabilities in our basic ancestral biology. Now again, people are smart too, so there's there is adaptation and kind of plasticity. So over a lifetime you might or maybe in one mba course or even possibly a high schoo of course, you might learn some principles of basic finance that really help you avoid dumb mistakes. You know, like compound interest really compounds quickly. You know, the Caveman brain thinks compounding quickly. I have no idea what that means. My brain can't imagine if I invested in the S and P one thousand dollars forty years ago, how much i'd have. You know, I can't compute that number.
Speaker 2: Well, we live in an arithmetic world. Exponential numbers, they are hard to comprehend.
Speaker 1: The brain is mostly linearizing things that and if they're not linear, or they're dramatically nonlinear, like pandemic compound interest, we can learn to overcome it. But we need these kind of external tools. It's almost like exoskeleton, you know, whether it's education advisors and so on.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit about risk aversion, which has been this behavioral finance concept. People dislike losses twice as much as they enjoy gains. What does a world of neuroeconomics say about loss of version. I've seen a few mathematicians claim, oh, it's just a statistical anomaly. I remain unconvinced that that's the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, actually I know a lot about loss of persion. We published a meta analysis last year about.
Speaker 2: There's a reason I'm asking this question. It's not out of left field.
Speaker 1: Right, you came to the right place. So in the men analysis, we looked at hundreds of studies, basically every study we could find, you know, using informatics, and nowadays you can really do this. It's like a industrial fishing, you know, you throw this net out and you get four thousand studies. Then you win to it down to the ones that are really just all trying to measure the same thing, so you can add them up. There was something like three hundred and seventy estimates of lambda, which is the Greek symbol that means the ratio of the disutility of loss to gain. And as you mentioned, two is sort of a we think it's a little bit smaller like one point sabin, but you know it's comparable. Yeah, it's comparable, and it's not one, which which would be the case in which you're not just finguishing loss and gain at all. You know, they're just like one scale. So the evidence is pretty good. Some other fun facts about loss of version, which is you might think that loss of version is is some kind of handicap, but actually we published a paper with two people who have brain damage and bilateral amigdala, which means neither part of the amgdala can compensate for the other. There's a very unusual disease. It comes from a or a bag via the disease, and they basically the amigdala is kind of like calcified, so it's it's there, but it's like deep freeze, you know, just so work.
Speaker 2: These people lose the ability to have these emotional responses to stimulus.
Speaker 1: Correct correct, and a lot has been known about because they've been studied. One of my colleagues, Ralphedelps, has studied several of them for years and they you know, they come back every so often and do a different.
Speaker 2: Kind of task and let me guess, they're pretty good traders.
Speaker 1: Generally, they're in disability because, uh, the amygdala damage is not to make they basically take too much risk in a lot of areas of life.
Speaker 2: So they're risk embracing, not risk averse at all.
Speaker 1: So the idea that that risk and fear are there to kind of protect you applies to them. Like when you remove that, like one of the patients, Sam makes a lot of poor choices.
Speaker 2: Give us examples.
Speaker 1: Well, this example I recall, I hope I'm not getting that. My memory is not mangling it too badly? Is She went on some kind of a date and the person was very sexually aggressive, and she ended up okay, And then somebody said, well, would you want to go out with that person again? She said, yeah, yeah, it was fine, it was fun. You know, she just didn't have this trauma. The amial was not processing. This is really bad. Run away, run away, avoid avoid.
Speaker 2: So how does this manifest itself amongst investors making risk decisions If their ability to process threats process fear is in present, what happens with those sort of decisions.
Speaker 1: Well, so for these two patients with imigal damage, they have no loss of version.
Speaker 2: None whatsoever, And so aggressive traders and investors, Well, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the way we measures we give them these financial simple financial risks, like you could win. Most people if you say you could win ten, but you might lose eight or might lose seven, they're kind of just indifferent because a loss of seven and a gainer ten.
Speaker 2: Or you know, if I could, if I could do that on a billion dollars, I would, you know, I'd love to do that.
Speaker 1: But these two so damage the amgala. No more loss of version. So that's partly a reminder that be careful what you wish for, right, right, Like you.
Speaker 2: Don't want to react emotionally to everything correct right. The reason it's so hard to do, what Warren Buffett says, is when everybody's clamoring to buy, you get most people get caught up in that enthusiasm where we're social primates, and when the group is screaming bye bye bye, it's very hard to go with the other direction. And then at the bottom, when everybody is selling, the fear is of the alcohols.
Speaker 1: The fear of school was contagious very much. So right, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So you lose that risk aversion. Do you have the ability to just go opposite the crowd because you don't care?
Speaker 1: It could be I mean, I've I have a feeling successful traders is it's not that they're not loss of verse, but they managed to inhibit it somehow. Or we did a such study in this but it's I don't think the details are all interesting for your readers, but or they're able to do what we call bracketing or kind of portfolio view, which is to say, you have bad days and good days and at the end it's my you know, it's my p and L at the end of the month or at the end of the year or the other quarter, and managed to kind of shrug off a loss. Now, I don't think that's that easy to do if you have intact amygdala right right, So it's it's almost it. It leads into another interesting topic which we've studied a little bit called emotion regular which is the fact that a lot of our emotions are sort of involuntary. You know, if there's a loud boom, you and I are both going to have this fear reaction. You know, haro, stand up will freeze. But you can also learn to regulate emotions. I mean kids are learning that when they learn to, you know, not be too afraid on the first day of school. As people get older, they learn to regulate emotions it's a pretty important skill. And so I think successful trading is probably some kind of cocktail of either a little less natural loss of version but not too little, right, because you don't want to like going crazy. You don't want them to be immune to loss, just like you don't want your hand to be immune to pain, right, because you're going to lean on a hot stoves one day and not notice that your hand is on fire. Right. So you a good trader probably has a little less natural loss of version, and then a really good ability to emotionally regulate, you know, when too much loss is acceptable or getting you into trouble.
Speaker 2: So the emotional regulation aspect is really interesting. I'm going to push you a little outside of your normal I think of your normal research area. One of the interesting comments that have come up when discussing who's a great fund manager, who's a great trader? Who are these folks that have put together these really impressive track records? A surprising number of neuroatypical folks.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: The reason I asked you this is it seems like not only is there a little bit of ability to manage the emotions, but there's that ability to step outside of the crowd and say, I don't care what the rest of the primates are doing.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: In March two thousand and nine, stocks look really attractive, and I want to be a buyer even though everybody else is selling. Is there an aspect of that to those sorts of ya.
Speaker 1: That's a fantastic topic. In fact, it is close to something.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is all right, good, I've been thinking about.
Speaker 1: So one thing is I was going to mention from before. So one of the striking things. I was working on an economics book and I was reading a lot of papers on social conformity. It turns out that almost every study finds the typical paradigm is something very stylized and simple, like, you know, you see a face and three other people see the same face, and you're asked to say is this person friendly or unfriendly? And in the conformity case, the other three people say friendly, and some other subject the other three see unfriendly, and people there seems to be a reward activity when you conform to the group. And these are not we're not super stress testing, so we're not quite something like you know, you're in the depth of a crash two thousand and eight crash and everyone's selling, and you know, ethically, it's hard for us to generate that dramatic an event in the lab. But even for these mild effects, and a lot of these people, if you ask them, do you follow the craft, they would say no, no, no, I kind of go in my own way. Like if a bunch of people said someone is friendly and you weren't sure, if you thought they weren't friendly, would you disagree? H Yeah, yeah, I wouldn't bother me. But study after study, the study shows there's generally reward value from conformity, which is essentially just the modern evidence for what you were talking about, which is that part of being a social animal right.
Speaker 2: The evolution of cooperation has has been very successful for us. Exactly, it started to fight the craft, It.
Speaker 1: Did his job, Yeah, exactly. Huh So I thought that was quite striking. Again, if you were if you wanted to study anti authoritarian personality, it might be a way to get into that that there be people who almost pathologically. But let's get back to your point about neurotypical people. So we're actually working at it beginning that a study on autism, so it's autism is called a spectrum disorder, which basically means it's not like you have it or you don't like schizophrenia. So you know, statistically it's it doesn't look like two humps.
Speaker 2: So you have a little, you could have some, you could have more, you can have a lot.
Speaker 1: Correct, correct, And there's often differences of symptoms like extreme autism often involves catatonia and severe language deficits and what have you. And so what people often think about Asperger syndrome, which is something that's called high functioning autism, right, which is basically you just just socially awkward and hard to understand what people do. But a lot of these pathologies or disorders, I should say pathology is not the right word. A lot of these disorders are accompanied by some enhancement. So for example, Asperger's patients have are more, they could have perfect pitch for a sound. They are better at ignoring some costs, which is a classic Bayer economics. You know, I spend so much on this dessert. You know, I came to New York. It is eighteen dollars for some flower. You know, I have to finish it, right.
Speaker 2: The autism, the money is spent whether you get the categories or not.
Speaker 1: So the autists have the right idea and.
Speaker 2: There is a sweet spot. I'm going to get you a list of the people who I know in this field who have that fantastic impressive numbers and have either stated there on the spectrum or it's kind of obvious hey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. You could look at film, video or written statements and you know, machine learned them and say, this person talks or looks.
Speaker 2: I'll ask on Twitter who's on the autism spectrum in the world of finance and has a good track record. But I have like two dozen names in my head.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a name. Unfortunately, he just died not too long ago, Charlie Munger. So of course Charlie a few times, right.
Speaker 2: And he doesn't strike me as very spectrumy.
Speaker 1: Well, but what one marker of autism is is like poor conversational turn taking, you know. And so when the times I met Charlie just twice and if you see him at the Berkshire Hathaway, I mean, he's amazing. I think it was like the Mark Twain of finance for sure, you know, because he was really witty and but also there's always like a really deep psychological insight in there. You know, it wasn't just funny. It was funny and true and often something other people didn't want to say. But when I met him, he was just like a freight train, and so you had to interrupt, and I realized the goal is to not have a conversation. You're just going to move the train.
Speaker 2: And different, just nudge him in different. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, you know that reminds me of X boom, and then he's often discussing X.
Speaker 2: I never realized that about him.
Speaker 1: So you're saying, that's my non clinical I am not a transition, but you know, disclaimer. Part of it is reflected and why he was successful. You know, he he saw himself as an average person who wasn't making the dumb mistakes other people make. But some of those dumb mistake people make, you know, he may have not made them because he doesn't get caught up in social conformity, or because he's very focused on he has good metacognition, like if I don't I don't buy a company I don't understand, right, you know, that's probably a good strategy.
Speaker 2: So I'm working on a new book. I'm almost done, and Munger is great. One of the two people I dedicate the book to and the quote of his that very much informs the the theme of the book is someone once asked him was Berkshire successful because Ewan and Warren are so much smarter than everybody else? And his response was, it's not that we're smarter than everybody else, we were just less stupid, which is such an insightful observation. Hey, just fewer Charlie Ellis, make less unforced errors, and you'll do better in tennis or investing than the guy trying to slam the ace, and most people are not going to get it in. Him and Munger had the two Charlie's had the same belief system, just be less stupid. It's really fascinating. So when you've interviewed Munger, what are some of the takeaways you've had from your conversations with him?
Speaker 1: One thing I remember was for so we went and looked at our neuroimaging center.
Speaker 2: Did you ever get him in a machine? No?
Speaker 1: I wish. I wish we had. He he may have gone for it too. He's you know, he's a pretty interesting person and I think very open minds, scientifically curious as well as in his financial life. He had gone to Celtic for a while. So he was we got to run into every so often. Of course, we're always people like that. They're always trying to get him to give money and or at least show.
Speaker 2: Up and give a speech something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk, and so so we showed in the brain scanner. He had a really interesting thought which I didn't quite appreciate till later, which was he said, what you guys should be doing is if you're trying to change behavior, like let's say you're trying to get somebody to vote, or to wear a mask or you know, quit smoking. Opioid's the really hard stuff.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Wait, unless he said, what you should really do is, rather than doing one little thing, you should go for a lollapalooza, you know, like basically try to add in six different things to get the biggest ability to get people to quit smoking.
Speaker 2: Let's say it makes sense.
Speaker 1: And so he was thinking as a practitioner like I want I'm going to know what's going to work, as scientists were often thinking piecemeal, like if we put six different things in and it works, we don't know which of the six is the active ingredient, but it.
Speaker 2: Could be a different combination for each different exactly.
Speaker 1: So exactly, but and so the reason I was thinking about that was nowadays, one of the fallouts or one of the products I should say, from Fallow it's definitely the wrong word. One of the products from Beata economics was this idea of a nudge that often because people are often sensitive to very subtle things like opt in versus opt out, you know there may be a low cost, light touchway to change behavior a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well just look at the four oh one k exactly, making the default go to just some specific investment as opposed to it just sits there in cash for god knows how long. Seems to have really had a big impa.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly that that was definitely the poster child for the simplest nudge, and we kind of understand the psychology of it anyway. So now what a lot of people are thinking about nudge. This is exactly this lollapaloosa idea of Munger's, which is, if we want to get people to get out the vote, rather than try six different things, we should be trying like six combinations of three things. Statistically, it's messy because you'll never really end up knowing which of those is the active ingredient. But to just get results, that's useful information, it's useful formation. So the Nudge Enterprise, which I've been connected to a little bit, is moving somewhe in that direction that Munger mentioned many years ago.
Speaker 2: Huh. Really interesting? All right, I only have you for a limited amount of time, so let me jump to my favorite questions that I ask all of my guests, starting with what are you watching or listening to these days? What's keeping you entertained?
Speaker 1: So Katie Molkman's podcast Choiceology is one that I've been on that I think is quite good. It's basically the beaval economics podcasts. There are quite a few others, but Katie is a real expert on this and is a great interviewer and has.
Speaker 2: Had good guests choice Ology. Choice Ology tell us about your mentors who helped to shape your fascinating career.
Speaker 1: So two people who were on my thesis committee, Robin Hogarth and Hilly Einhorn were two and there's an interesting story. So Robin was Scottish, very verbal, every sentence started with howsoever. Therefore, notwithstanding, Hilly was a very blunt jew from Brooklyn, and it was the exact opposite so Hilly would mark up my thesis and put in all these fancy Hilly would rather would take out the whatsoevers and the howevers and that thereforece and he was like put in more like boom, like short sentences, no sema colons, but like he had one punctuation mark period. That's it right, Like you know, he like about a million periods at a store, and like I'm not likely to use those. And Robin was the way around, Oh, this really need to do summa colon, you know, let's plump this. And at one point I was going back and forth, you know, near the completion of my thesis with the two of them were co advisors, and I got so frustrated, and I said, how should I write this? And we had this this kind of like grasshopper moment of it's your thesis, you figure out how you want to write it. And I realized they were kind of waiting for me to find my voice, like they say in writing, you know, like and one of the love tables and then the other love graphs. So the drafts of my thesis was the table and a graph were exactly the same thing. And I had to decide was I a graph person or a table person or was I kind of like bilingual? So I basically became kind of bilingual in terms of how I was thinking. It's night. That was very helpful. The other person probably is Dick Taylor, because he he's a very good writer. He did exactly what so many academics aspire to and we always ask for more of, which is to write a small number of extremely high quality papers. It's very unusual because for career reasons and stuff, you have to get tenure and right, and Dick just couldn't really write a bad paper. I don't write as many great papers as him, and I as a result, I write too many okay papers. But that's something I think is useful for everyone.
Speaker 2: He's one of my favorite people in the world. I got to interview I don't know half a dozen times, only once since he won the Nobel Prize, but I always find him so informative and entertaining, and I just loved his response to winning the prize. What are you gonna do with the money? His answer is, I'm going to spend it as irrationally as I possibly can, just so so him he enjoys life. He very much does he's just also a fascinating, fascinating, charming guy. Let's talk about books. What are some of your favorites. What are you reading right now?
Speaker 1: I am reading Emma Klein a book called The Guests, especially for neworlcus in your audience. It's about a very grifty, sketchy woman who goes to the Hamptons and kind of cons her way around the Hamptons. It's really it's almost.
Speaker 2: Like a very didn't we have kind of a real life thing like that happening a year?
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. It may be loosely inspired by Anna deel Vi in Manhattan or some similar cases. It's basically almost like a nineteenth century novel about class, because she's very conscious of not belonging in the Hamptons, but she's very beautiful and kind of charming in this sort of man eater femvatal way. And I'm almost done with that. It's really delicious. The other thing, I love movies and books about capers and heists and grift, which includes Emma Klein The Guest. So I'm reading these books by Jim Swain, who's not known. I got onto him. Lee Child, who who I.
Speaker 2: Love life reads all of his books plow through all of it exactly. Yeah, and that did that include the Reacher series.
Speaker 1: The Reacher series, that's what he is most famous for, the Lee Child. But so Jim Swain was blurbed by Lee Child, saying, Jim Swain's the best at what he does, and what he does is he writes about a very sophisticated cheater in Las Vegas who cheats casinos, and it's you know, I'm going to use recycle this and you're very shortly for you. But basically there are procedurals about how to cheat a casino, but in the end if you get caught. There's also this sort of socio psycho political thing of you know, if I make up a story about why something happened, like if there's a murder in a casino and I make up a story about it that helps them act like the murder was freakish and won't drive away customers. I'm actually delivering a gift to them, and they're going to trade off. They're not going to send me to jail. But if I give them this gift. So there's a lot of layers of This is not Dostoevski, It's not brilliant. This is not sum but for me, there's a lot of like psychology, and you know, in a way, it's a game theory. What if there's an arms race between the Vegas Gaming Commission and each of the individual casinos who are very sophisticated. They hire a lot of ex cheats, you know, to tell them what to look for, and then these cheaters who know you know, so truly, there's arms series of who's gonna win? I found those really interesting.
Speaker 2: If you like books on griffs and cheats and corruption, I'm gonna recommend pretty much anything he's written. I've been a fan of his for years. Carlhassen was a reorder for the Miami Herald Prime Reporter and then just one after another, these series of novels and his one of his more recent books is now a TV series on Apple Plus Bad Monkey, but all of his books it's Bad Monkey in the I think the sequel is called Razor Girl. But all his books take place in Florida. Everybody's corrupt. The police are corrupt, the building inspectors are corrupt, the politicians are corrupt, and there's always one or two good people in the heart of the story and it's how do they navigate? It's just endless sea of treachery and corruption. And he's just a delightful, entertaining writer. If you you could randomly pick any of his books and they're just all they're great beach reads.
Speaker 1: You know. Le Me also mentioned The Wire because I grew up in Baltimore County and a series. Yes, and David Simon's book The Corner is a kind of a precursor. I mean, he's a very interesting person. He was a reporter and I think he may have been Baltimore, Britimore. And The Corner is like this beautiful I think it was a precursor to the Wire. But it's basically about a corner in West Baltimore everyone buys drugs, and it's about drug addiction and all the things that's surrounded. So as somebody who you know, one of the things we study in behavioral economics is habits and addictions, and you know, and the neuroscience, of course is fascinating along the way, and that one is great. And The Wire having grown up in Baltimore County, which is not Baltimore City, The Wire is almost like a documentary and it has all this Baltimore stuff, as well as all my accents where you have people are talking about talking like this, and it has Tommy Garcetti is this political character who's sort of inspired by Tommy Delsandro, whose daughter is Nancy PELUSI.
Speaker 2: Oh really, that's amazing. I found the series the Wire. It's a tough watch. It's a great show. It's brutal. Yeah, gritty is mild. I mean some of the stuff that goes on, and the show is.
Speaker 1: Just like, yeah, there's a famous scene with the nail gun you're which if your listeners have the stomach, that's pretty classic.
Speaker 2: Similar in the Jack Reacher series, there's a really something not that far off. Yeah, they toned it down for television, but the book is is really brutal. All Right, we're up to our final two questions. What sort of advice would you give to a college grad interested in a career in filling the blank neuroeconomics, behavioral finance, or even just investing.
Speaker 1: For somebody who say it doesn't want to get a PhD. That's a different track and probably of less interest. And there's you can get a lot of guests advice on how to do that. I would study not just finance like straight asset pricing and derivatives, but also behavioral economics game theory, I think, because even though game theory is usually like two players or small numbers of players, it really sharpens the logic of you know, when do I know something another person doesn't know? And do I know that they don't know it? You know, you have to really relentlessly think about the math underlying that. And then there's a lot of experimental and real world data. One of my I just got a text from our students this term, and there's a lot of data from sports about whether sports activities are like equilibrium responses to other players, So you can actually there's there's a lot of sources of data besides just say the lab experiments. I talk about my book from two thousand and three, Sneaking the Plug in Cognitive science is something I would study too. So cognitive science is a modern brand of cognitive psych that has more math in it, and a lot of it actually goes back to something we spoke about, like a mismatch. But they are quite interested in what they call resource rationality, which means a lot of the mistakes people might make, like anchoring on one number and being influenced by that. A famous anchoring adjustment heuristic may actually be rational if you only have so much working memory, or you're under time pressure, or you're tired. It's also closely related to the way economists would think about mistakes, which is they may be optimal given some constraint, like what is that constraint and can we test that experimentally? So I think there's a lot of stuff you could learn there that will help you think about markets. The other thing I would say is get experience thinking about markets, whether in turning or I'll tell you a story about what worked for me, which was when I was twelve years old in Cockeysville, Maryland, August, there was a one month month racing program at a small racetrack called Timonium, Maryland, and it was a five eighths of a mile tracks. It's like a you know, small I would go with my dad and a friend of his who was a stockbroker, and we would also go to the big tracks like Pimlico where the preak mistakes is. But if you go to Timonium, you get to see all the horses. There was so much interest. You learned so much about markets. Number one. It gives you, I think, a respect for market efficiency.
Speaker 2: Couse, the odds are actually not that bad. They were extremely pretty pretty dead on exactly.
Speaker 1: And so you see, you know, eight horses come out, they all look pretty similar. You know, the jockeys are all you know, the same size, and they're all pretty good. There's a lot of statistics you can see. But somehow the crowd has decided that number three is even money favorite, which is a fifty e d chance to win. A number six, who looks pretty good too, is like seventy to one, and they're mostly right. So you know, part of why I got into economics and psychology was thinking about episodes like that, how does the market put this information together? And are the mistakes? Like how do you beat the market?
Speaker 2: So Fama turns out to be more or less right about.
Speaker 1: You about twenty in Maryland. And there were other interesting lessons too, like so on the if you go with like around the third race. You know, I was I was a kid, so I just broke and my poor mom, my irish mom, was worried I was going to you know, lose too much money. I kept telling you, it's tuition, mom, it's tuition. But if you go in the third race, there were these people who would sell tip sheets for like five dollars, right.
Speaker 2: And you know, because because they know what's going to happen, they're selling the tip sheets, not making the bets.
Speaker 1: Exactly the customer's yachts exactly. But if you go like in the you know, the third or fourth race, they would quit selling them. They would just give them to you really well, like a lost leader. Maybe you'll you'll maybe next time you'll buy it. And so I'm sitting here, here's my little cynical twelve thirteen year old brain thinking, why are you giving away for free tips that you claim can make me money? Like this does not the math does not math. And I think that's a good lesson, like for markets. Right yeah, but you know, just just to clear away like the most naive, you know, immunize yourself to the most naive schemes.
Speaker 2: You know, you would think if the tips were valuable, rather than waste your time printing it up and selling them, you would just bet on the wing horses, especially in.
Speaker 1: A peramutual system, right because you know, the more the more your tip sheet buyers are betting on your horses.
Speaker 2: The lower guts right exactly.
Speaker 1: They're betting against.
Speaker 2: Our final question. Our final question, what do you know about the world of neuroeconomics today, might have been helpful when you were first getting started back in the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll answer that like a politicial answer a question I have a better answer for, which is about behavioral finance.
Speaker 2: Sure, so either or be fire or sure?
Speaker 1: I got it. So in your economics, I don't think we made too many mistakes. I think I wish we had. You know, we got a lot of grand support. Caltech was very supportive. I got to know a lot of interesting people who are generous with their time, who were kind of my tutors on neuroscience. I never took any formal, you know, coursework on it. It was came way, way way after my original rad training. So thank you everyone. I wish we had. We have not had much impact in academic economics particularly, and that's something we're kind of working on. Maybe we can do better behavioral finance. I think I started graduate school in the late seventies. In nineteen seventy eight, Mike Jensen published a very influential paper. It was an intruction to a special issue, and one of the first sentences is the market efficiency apothesis is one of the most well established empirical regularities in economics. But but that was like the high water mark, and the special issue was about there's some things that are anomalists, like earnings drift. He got a weird earnings announcement. The market reacts, but then the market reaction drifts up for it. It takes a couple of weeks, almost like food for the market so so absorbed it should not take a couple of weeks, right, right, There were other things where we see, you know, like one within one hour markets are repricing really well. But despite this Jensen article, the hostility to ba Heybalk finance was ferocious.
Speaker 2: That's a big word at that time. It was that so late seventies, early late.
Speaker 1: Seventies, early eighties, and so that's when I was kind of deciding do I want to stay in finance or mix it with and I remember having a discussion. I don't know if Jeane remembers it the same way with I had to write a paper for Eugene Fama's course, who was also kind of a mentor in this sense. Even though I didn't end up doing work that was close, you know, he was he was really relentless and very empirically driven, and he had a really good idea. When he started, people were thought he was crazy because there was all this stuff on, you know, there was even he wrote some papers on dividends, like well, the Optimal Dividend Payment Policy, and of course Miller and him would like, what be dividends at all? You just like take money from one bucket and put it in the other.
Speaker 2: Well, back in the early days of widows and orphan stocks, you people lived on.
Speaker 1: Their digiti Yeah, exactly because of the liquidity.
Speaker 2: Right, you don't want to sell do you want to hold on to it?
Speaker 1: And then the dividends, you know, it is enough to live on.
Speaker 2: Now the theory has shifted towards uh, it's more efficient return of capital to shareholders doing buybox than dividends. But that's only total return. If you're looking for that income stream, buybacks don't necessarily help you.
Speaker 1: Right, right exactly. So that's and that's also where the hero economic comes in with you know, why can't you just like create whatever income stream you want by borrowing and selling, right, that's right? And if you know, if you're really liquidity constrained or credit constrained, you can't. But for most people that's not a big deal anyway. So if I had known behavioral finance, would it didn't take off quickly. From nineteen seventy eight, which is Jensen nineteen eighty one, I graduated nineteen eighty five was the failure in DeMont paper about January effects. And even that was published as a It was in the Proceedings issue, which meant that the President of the of the AFA could pan pick papers. So the preceding issue had the most radical papers that were the foundation of aper economics. Fisher Black wrote a paper called Noise Traders. I thot it might have just been called noise. And then Dick Roll wrote a paper got R Squared, and he said, you know, if only news moves the market, right, then the R squared On days with no news, you know, you shouldn't have any volatility, And of course days with big news and small news similar to the story you were telling you in the beginning, Days with big news, big obvious news and hardly any news move about the same.
Speaker 2: The assumption being by the time it's in the front age of the new York Times, it's already reflected the.
Speaker 1: Markets, right, But also there may be things that are not newsy at all, Like in October eighty seven crash, you know, the Bundesbank moved rates by a quarter of a point or something.
Speaker 2: Who cares? That was the big news, right, but you know, you never know when that last straw breaks the camels correct.
Speaker 1: But but so all those ideas now that that we we you know, we feel like we have an understanding and examples. There was a lot of hostility to that. So I remember asking Gene, I'd like to study market psychology, like what do you know about market psychology? And he said, what's that, Mike? And psychology is Boston accent? You know. I think it's just a word they use on the news, like in Bloomberg. It's just a word they use on the news when the market moved.
Speaker 2: They don't know why, right, Well, no one wants to admit it's fairly random day to day. We're very humans are very I know that humans are very uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: And we're good at pattern right.
Speaker 2: We make up patterns. We come up with a narrative to explain it. I recall Dick Thaylor quoting maybe it was Max Planck, who's talking about physics scientis one funeral at a time. Taylor said the same thing about behavioral finance, and he also said, I'm bypassing the current generation and going right to the kids so they'll adapt a wholesale and literally he said, I'm teaching grads and undergrads this so we don't even have to wait for the funeral. And it seems to have worked. Oh yeah, no, absolutely, Colin, thank you so much for being so generous with your time. This has been absolutely fascinating. I'm glad we finally managed to do this. We have been speaking with Professor Colin Camera of California Institute of Technology. If you enjoy this conversation, well check out any of the five hundred previous interviews we've done over the past ten and a half years. You can find those at iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, Bloomberg, wherever you find your favorite podcast, And be sure and check out my new short form podcast at the Money, short single subject conversations with experts about issues that affect your money, earning, spending, and investing it at the Money in the Masters in Business podcast feed, or wherever you find your favorite podcast. I would be remiss if I now to thank the Crack team that helps with these conversations together each week. John Wasserman is my audio engineer. Anna Luke is my producer. Sean Russo is my researcher. Sage Bauman is the head of podcasts at Bloomberg. I'm Barry Ridhelts. You've been listening to Masters in Business on Bloomberg Radio.