Speaker 1: Some of the content of Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised. The world's of Bigeon podcasts.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to Patriots Unfiltered. It is Tuesday here at Chelette Stadium. We're back to our regular noontime start, but not for long. I've got a big week this week. The Eagles are coming to town, so that's gonna be really exciting. We're gonna have joint practices Tomorrow and Thursday we'll be doing live shows. But today we can recap everything we've seen since the last time we had a show last Thursday. Yeah, it's Evan, it's Paul, it's Me, it's Deuce, it's Matt and Na Booth and h Yeah.
Speaker 4: A couple padded practice, a couple of twelve o'clock show. I know, it feels like it's been a long time since.
Speaker 5: It feels like it's comfortable.
Speaker 4: In confends is what day it is. I'm losing track because I just I've.
Speaker 6: Had a handful of practices, but generally speaking, really only two of significant. They had Saturday and Monday in pads. Sunday and Tuesday were both walked throughs, and I thought at times there was some interesting things, And I thought, especially so with Drake May on Monday, I'm getting a little like Verable losing track of the day is yesterday. I thought it was a pretty sharp day for the offense, the passing game in general. I know, I want to get into this a little bit later in the show, because not all members of the show were a lockstep on the performance of the quarterbacks, So I do want to get into that when when we have his attention. But I thought yesterday was a really good day, punctuated by a pretty impressive two minute drill at the end of of the practice. So I thought they got a lot of good work done yesterday, dialed it back today with a walkthrough, and we're just grinding through.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Romeo Dobbs coming on. I mean, I think we were all a little bit concerned early on, but now with him and Brown, they're both stringing together some consistent practices. The big play to A J. Brown yesterday that was nice to see, I said, I kept saying, I mean, I don't feel like Drake's like really lit it up. For a whole practice. Yet it was the one practice I missed that you guys, you know, had the reports that I wish I was there to see it. I'll take your word for it. But yesterday felt like a good Drake day and you know, consistent, That's what That's what stood out to me. Just it feels like a lot of these practices he gets a little bit of a slow start, or you know, maybe he has a good run and then he has a slow finish. Like feels like these two practices, including yesterday's and the one I missed, were his best two days oh camp.
Speaker 2: Yesterday I was thrilled.
Speaker 5: There we go.
Speaker 2: I was thrilled back, thank god.
Speaker 6: No, how much do you guys, how much do you owe me? There's no way he was bringing that to the air.
Speaker 5: I knew it.
Speaker 2: I knew it.
Speaker 4: Concert on Saturday, Fred, weren't you?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Fred was some tough coaching in the quarterback training camp and yeah.
Speaker 2: No, listen, I think overall I'd love to see Drake just get it out just the second earlier, just a smidge earlier. Trust the receiver is going to be where it's going to be supposed to be, and just get it out. Of his hands just a second or two earlier. But yesterday was like Patriots offense of the of old. You know, ball wasn't on the ground guys, you know, guys hitting guys in stride, you know, all levels, short, medium, long. It really looked like a great offense. Now you didn't have Gonzales out there. Carlton Davis is still probably not one hundred percent, so you're not exactly going against Murderer's row of cornerbacks. But it looked great. I think I thought it was the offense's best dayah and I haven't seen every product.
Speaker 8: It was a good day yesterday. It was a good offensive day, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 5: I think big picture, the most exciting part is that AJ Brown and Romeo Dobbs are starting to look more and more like the duo we thought when they brought him in the offseason. That's maybe been a little bit of a slow burn, Like I don't think that that's happened overnight. That those two have been caught up to speed and on the same page as the quarterback and getting open and playing fast within the offense. We're starting to see that every single day more and more. Small picture, the two minute drill yesterday that Drake May had was flawless, and I think that that's not always the case with him. Like I think sometimes the two minute drills can be a little bit clunky. The throw everybody's talking about is the deep one that we posted to AJ Brown earlier in the practice. The crossing route that he threw to AJ Brown in the two minute drill was an even better throw. It was rolling to his right and he was running a crossing route right behind the second level, in between the second and third levels of the defense, and on the move, Drake May layered it right over the second level and in front of the third level into AJ Brown for about a thirty yard completion to get that. Two minute drills started. Then the defense because I think they were playing field goal, they started heating Drake May up to try to get a turnover or a negative play, and he had answers like he was getting the ball out against the blitz quickly and hit Remandre in the flat and a really nice play to get them down at the chip shot field goal range. That was that was nice, Like that was a really smooth two minute drill that, like I said, we've seen some clunky ones and that was not as good as it gets.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned Dobbs. He had a slow start to camp. Yep, but he's really come on, you know, like catches everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's just I mean, that's what stood out to me when he's coming. I thought he had good hands, you know, not maybe not the biggest burner, but a bigger guy. And you're just you're seeing him catch him low. You're seeing them moss people seeing him today, I practice on the jugs machine.
Speaker 6: We keep saying that, like that slant to aj Brown looks like it's there any time they wanted.
Speaker 8: It's almost unstoppable.
Speaker 6: I would say, you know, the eight to ten yard out to Romeo Dobbs is quickly approaching that level of being unstoppable.
Speaker 8: Nave run it, you know.
Speaker 6: I think Evan said this on our podcast yesterday, I camp cast. You know, it's great to see him, you know, jumping over defensive backs and winning, contesting catches in the end zone and mossing guys.
Speaker 8: That that's great that he has that ability.
Speaker 6: But much more valuable to me is his ability to just run a twelve yard out and be open, like significantly open. We've seen so many outs where the defensive back is right there, and Drake has to be precise with the throw and it's off just a hair and it's a dangerous throat to the outside like that. Those have just been pitching catch with Romeo Dodds the last I would say three four practices.
Speaker 2: I mean between between Dobbs, A J. Brown, Hollins, Hunter, Henry. I don't even throw Raritan in it. We've got some size that at the receiving at the targets, and not every team has cornerbacks and safeties that are six one, six two. I'm wondering, is there a particular team in our schedule that has a smaller secondary that going into that game like the will be in our favor. I'm a size sure.
Speaker 5: We'll get into that. You know, we've talked a lot about Drake liking to throw to bigger receivers, and he's talked about it a little bit with his brothers, like throwing with his brothers in the backyard and they're all they're all six foot five, and so he's kind of used to that size and throwing to guys with big catch radiuses. And then you look at the way they moved and they trade for a J Brown and signed Romeo Dobbs and draft a six foot six tight end and Eli Roaden, and clearly they want to make a team full of power forwards and centers. Now, my one concern with that was the jump balls. Like I think a lot of the downfield stuff that we've seen in practice have been fifty to fifty balls, and I would prefer not to live that way down the field. But yesterday, you know, they started to hit some of those down the field where guys were getting open, and so that that was encouraging. But there's no doubt that they want to build a physical, contested catch type of roster at the receiver positions, and I think that that's catering to the quarterback more than maybe schedule.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the emergence of those two guys too, just made me think a whole lot less about the rest of the depth chart. It's you look at the top three Douglas and those two that's a that's a good offense. And with Hunter, Henry and Ridan getting mixed in a little bit the rest, I don't really I'm not really too concerned.
Speaker 6: He should have a really good passing game, and you know, I think on Sunday we got a chance to talk to the offensive coaches and Josh McDaniel spoke a little bit about it. He was asked about the stuff that Evan was just talking about, just the size of the guys, and he and he started laughing. He goes, well, I think Pop might take because he's the one guy that's different. But I think this can be really valuable for Douglas because of the space that he's going to get afforded. I just think these guys are going to require a lot of attention from secondaries.
Speaker 8: I don't you know.
Speaker 6: I think Kasha on Booty spoke yesterday like if people want to one on one with aj Burn, they're gonna lose ten times out of ten, you know, And that's the kind of receiver you have now that again, Mike, Evan and I.
Speaker 8: Have been telling you that they're kind of lacked.
Speaker 4: Really it's interesting, and how did I see it on the field. It actually looks like it'll work.
Speaker 5: So I do think it's like you can drow the corner and the safety over the top they're.
Speaker 6: Talking about like, I'm not even gonna gonna geek out, like Evan, will you know and tell you all the things that it can create for the running game with lighter boxes and safety.
Speaker 5: Put the fall back in the backfield, running back in the dot.
Speaker 8: I think Josh can have some fun with it.
Speaker 5: Let's go, let's go it.
Speaker 6: Like they open up these team periods, it was like yesterday they had like they opened the first series was all first down plays and you see, you know, the first play it's like three receivers, you know, you know, and then the next play it's like two tight ends and Gilliam you know, so you're going with a power group.
Speaker 5: Then the next play just makes me feel like next play it was.
Speaker 6: Like ten personnel, like you you know, they have no tight end on the field with four wide receivers. And it's just I think there's a lot of possibilities that Josh can play with.
Speaker 5: Exactly power to go with a J. Brown as the loan receiver and then the two tight ends and the full back. I mean, now you're talking my language. That's my kind of party. Like you run the ball attention, did a homework, You run the ball out of that and you run it effectively to play action present you know, the way that you're presenting to the defense. The play action opportunities are going to just be unbelievable. I mean, that's a really effective package. And I like goal line, short yardage situations, close out games, like, I really feel like that has a package opportunity to be really fun. And they've used Hollins a little bit in there too, and some of those looks. I mean, they can get big, like they they can really get big and play bullyball and run some people over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was the point I was about to make, and yesterday that it was the one thing I was just tracking. You know, what's the personnel? How are they matching it on on defense? And I mean, like you said, Paul, not, I'm not going to get into the specifics because I don't think they want. Yeah, but they have so many different things that you're going to have to prepare for. You're going to have to prepare for a spread offense with no tight ends. You're gonna have to prepare for two backs, one pony package with running backs, a full back. I mean, he's got so many different tools. But the thing I found myself wondering is Seattle is a team that wants to basically just stay in nickel, right, So is this going to be effective? Like and especially with you know, we talked about Emon Worri. Maybe he's going to be ready to go for week one. You know, do you like, how do you do this with is like strategically we're running through all these different personnel. Is that going to be effective if Seattle's just going to say, okay, do all your changing, We're just gonna stay in this group. You know, I wonder what the game plan is. I think in the perfect world, you want to get them out of Nickel and have them play bass and so you can get gilling him on the field and try to run on them. But at the same time, are they just gonna sit there watching you change all this personnel going like that's great, We're just gonna stay.
Speaker 6: And maybe maybe his injury, maybe even worry is you know, status, even if he's ready to play, maybe his status will not allow every what they want to do.
Speaker 5: You know, Yeah, you got to you gotta be able to run the ball on Seattle, and it's hard, Like they have great run defenders and they play a man short in the box and they figure it out with the penetrations and the stunts that they run upfront and all that kind of stuff. But like to answer your question, Duse, I don't think that it's hockey lines of like we're gonna change all. I think that they want to go big against Seattle. And I think if you're gonna play a nickel and even though it's not traditional nickel with Seattle, they play a lot of three safety nickel, if you're gonna play nickel, like we're gonna put the full back on the field, You're going to have your two high safety shells and all your defensive backs and all your fancy pressures and all that kind of stuff, and we're just gonna stay out a third and long. And I think that top of the Drake may that was the biggest thing about the Super Bowl that he keeps going back on is that we were in third and ten the entire game. And when you're in third and ten against a defense like that and a coach like that, he's just sending pressure at you from all different places and it becomes hard to diagnose, and that's when you get the negative plays. I think they want to be better on first down this time around against Seattle, and I think they think going with a heavier offense and heavier personnel will allow them to maybe run the ball more effectively against Seattle's nickel. Now, Seattle stopped the run really well last year out of that look, So I don't know if it'll work, but you can see the method to it. I really feel like that was what was missing from their offense last year, was like truly being able to run the ball effectively and being able to play some bully ball. You know, they get into the offense at last year it's three wide receivers eighty five percent of the time. Eighty percent of the time. It's not a very effective, efficient running game. So I think that they're trying to avoid that all over again this season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, i'd say the other thing too. I mean talk a lot about Drake year two in this system, becoming you know, the pre snap mastermind and getting his team into the right position. I think that's been a work in progress. I don't think that that's been a stunning success here so far. And it just made me pump the brakes a little bit on remembering Bill Belichick saying it really wasn't until two thousand and three where he really felt like Brady settled in and really was at full control of the offense. So you know, maybe my expectations were a little high for Drake. I mean, I think they need to be I think he needs to be better. But there's been a few instances throughout training camp consistently where it's like here they come and it didn't seem like they had answers for it. Yesterday was a good example where you know, the ball Nober said they didn't get there, but it looked close. With the Remandre dump off, they brought a you know, a zero blitz and he got it off to Romondre Quick and it was a good game.
Speaker 6: It was a great play. But but but Mike and I del Pettis came right up the middle and he just kind of stopped once he got into sort of the pocket. And I do wonder was that because they had him snuffed out and they don't want to they want to make sure they're not, you know, pushing guys back into Drake. There was a play earlier in the one of the sets. I think it was like the very last set. I think it might have been third down plays, but they just ran the ball and he kind of got stepped on, and you know, I just don't want anybody to around the quarterback. You've seen these clips and people around the league no piles, you know, so you just wonder did they have that snuffed out or did del Pettis wisely choose to pull back and not create sort of congestion.
Speaker 4: It's what I'm going to be looking for as we get into the season is how often do we see Drake go to the line and go you know Brady used to do and be like who WHOA He pulls back, He motions these guys out there all of a sudden, they've they've gone from twenty one personnel to a spread offense. And he's going to run host juke because he knows that you know, like that kind of stuff. You know, that was fore the coverage dictor right right, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 8: You know, Jason the other day they started cracking up.
Speaker 5: It's hard for us.
Speaker 4: To tell exactly when he's you know, having to be in his bag, and you know, I just think that, to me is the biggest step for this offense is if he fully becomes in control of that and just has that calm presence pre snap to understand. You know, sometimes I feel like he gets and I think this was kind of the super Bowl he gets rolling a little bit and he gets caught up instead of being patient, calm each snap, identifying what they're doing and trying to counter.
Speaker 2: No, we might get a little glimpse of that tomorrow and Thursday. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought Vrabel's comment was interesting too, of you know yesterday saying that, you know, colesdon't do anything in the game, but in the joint practice they were, they were throwing some stuff at him. So I think it's you know, just on us to watch that a little closer, because, like you said, Fred, that'll be opportunities for him tomorrow, moving.
Speaker 2: To the other side of the ball. Good to see Christian Barmore back in the mix yesterday.
Speaker 4: Working his way back in.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he did some of the one on one stuff, the individual drills, position drills.
Speaker 8: Still no team for him.
Speaker 2: He was out there for team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had like one or two snaps.
Speaker 8: Oh I missed him. I didn't see him.
Speaker 5: It was very.
Speaker 2: Sparingly, but yeah, it was only for a few but he came out there.
Speaker 4: Just I mean, at this point of the season, he's around. He's not going to be gone. He'll probably be ready for a week one. That's all I really care.
Speaker 5: It does make it a little hard to the defense though, you know, the joint practice you're missing Davis, Gonzalez and Barmore. Now you're missing Barmore and Gonzalez and Davis is kind of maybe a little bit behind and trying to get back into shape and all that kind of stuff. So I don't think we've seen the full.
Speaker 6: Even though, like Charles Woods has been banged up a little bit, just coming back off of something that caused him miss a couple of days. Yeah, and then he was in a red jersey for a day, So yeah, there's you know that the defense hasn't been at full strength. I would say that for the most part, the defense has been better than the offense throughout camp.
Speaker 8: But I think they'll you know, you're starting to see a.
Speaker 6: Little bit of that turn, and I think it's probably has at least something to do with personnel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think my small sea concern has pivoted to the pass rush now versus it was with Romeo Dobbs and the new receivers. I Rabel mentioned it at about the joint practice that you know, he says they don't affect the quarterback enough. You know, they didn't put enough pressure on Daniel Jones and that joint practice, and I just they don't have a lot of one on one winners up front, especially on the edge. So they're gonna have to do it with scheme and they're going to have to get creative. And you know, if the corner of Gonzales isn't out there, then you don't have the corners to send the house, you know, you know, you don't have the corners to play that kind of right, So you have to have you know, that's a big part of it. And I do want to see against the Eagles. I think the pockets for the Patriots offensive line have actually been pretty good for most the camp. And how much of that is the offensive line has improved a lot, and how much of that is that the pass rush ain is so good? Right, And you know that will find out over the course of time. But you know, with the blitzes and stuff that they've been running, I wonder if they are pivoting their their way to solve those problems a little bit. And we were talking about this a little bit off offline. Duce like to expect any quarterback to be Brady to come to the line of scrimmage and sniff out a pressure by the defense and know exactly how to move his pieces around to get the pressure blocked and all this. I wonder if maybe they are trying to simplify some of that type of stuff for May and just because he's kind of just a guy that wants to just play, you know, and to come to the line of scrimmage and have all these responsibilities on the quarterback. I feel like they might be throwing hot a little bit more this year versus like, well, they're gonna try to block it. So like the Remandre play yesterday, we know they're coming, but we're just gonna sneak the running back out of the backfield behind the blitz and and just dump it off to the back instead of you go over here, and you go over there, and you've got this guy and you're blocking that guy, and you know, it becomes a whole, you know sort of thing at pre snap where you're just deciding everything. But the pass rush, I think is one thing that we've all kind of had our turn being concerned about. And you know, I don't know if there's we got to see more of that.
Speaker 2: Are we allowed to report on that little kind of wrinkle that Rable threw into practice yesterday.
Speaker 4: Well, we did it in the in the in the camp cast I.
Speaker 6: Scheme, Like, I don't say that wasn't wasn't it was diff competitive, you know, it was, so describe what you saw.
Speaker 4: So it began, as I guess, within the structure of a special teams drill with you know, gunners and vices going against each other, and specifically you know, usually this drill happens on the side and everybody's kind of doing other things. This was where this drill took center stage for the whole team and you had specifically players who are I would call depth players competing for roles right now, Like you know, let's put them out there in front of the whole team and put that on on stage and let them go. And so you saw, you know, guys like Akis and you know, Tanner.
Speaker 2: Arcandes and just to set the scene, the whole team is behind the play on the field. They're not on the sideline. Defense isn't separated from offense. They're all together behind the play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you'll just you know, you'd see one gunner line up inside and you'd have two vice guys over him and he would try to get off those blocks and split them and get up field. And I think they had two cones too, so it seemed like, you know, they're trying to stay up the middle to get up and cover the punt. But just an overall really competitive drill that I thought it was almost reminded me of some of the field goal stuff that they've done at times where they gather everybody around to try to psych them out a little bit. It felt like that kind of pressure.
Speaker 2: But didn't it morphine to beyond special teams.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I would call it a deconstructed eleven on eleven, like you know how, and like cooking, like you have a deconstructed dish or it's the dish, but it's all in a million different parts. So like they put the eleven guys out there, but instead of running the drill in unison. At first, it started the wide receiver in the corner went, then the tight end and the and the edge rusher went, then the tackle and the edge rusher went, then the linebacker and the running back went, and then the tight end went against a linebacker, you know, running a route, and it was like like you were running a team drill, but each guy took their turn instead of it being run together, and so it was kind of like a way to spotlight each individual player right as it went along. And it was it was pretty cool. I'd never seen anything like that.
Speaker 6: And I think it added a lot of energy yes to the time and you know, you know, and talking to some of the guys. Corey Durton talked about it afterwards, and you know, he did say, it's just like and I think it's one of those things. It was, you know, date seventeen, right, they were in pads. I think for the tenth time yesterday, it can be a little bit of all right, you know, we've done this enough. There's like a monotonous, you know, element to what's going on. And I think Mike might have recognized that a little bit and threw a wrinkle in and I think it did pick people up. And then after that is when they got into they had a quick seven on seven and then they did like three full periods of eleven on the level. It was like first down work, third down work, and then the like the two minute drill. So it was there was a lot of stuff that happened after that, and I think that kind of raised everybody.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Durton said.
Speaker 6: It was great, like great opportunities for us young guys to get out there and in the spotlight with the whole team watching, and it added some juice.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was fun to watch.
Speaker 2: The team became audience and they cheered.
Speaker 6: And yet strongly to like like Caleb Lomu did a nice job against Dakas and the offense was really whooping it up. Then the defense wins one I think it was Riley Wilson really got the better of land Larisson on a blitz and then the defense is going crazy. So I do think it added something, added some stakes to it.
Speaker 2: It was almost like a rap battle. Matt Morell would like that, you know. Yeah, like two guys to game and everyone's gathered around and they're cheered, you know, but you've been like.
Speaker 6: If you've been to even more of these camps than I have, do you ever remember seeing that?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: The only thing I recall that I.
Speaker 5: Was similar as they do it at the Senior Bowl. At the end of the practice. They pulled the whole team in the middle of the field and they do a wide receiver, corner, tight end, safety, pass rusher tackle and usually it's like guys projected to go in like the first two rounds, Like, yeah, the real like highly rated guys that are at the practice. I remember a couple of years ago, I want, I think I have it right. I think it was Quinnon Mitchell and Roman Wilson and it was like two guys that were just kind of the players of practice and two you know, players projected to go high. The whole team comes into the middle of the field and it is it's like a rap battle. It's like you your guy versus our guy type of thing, but not in a not in a training camp practice. Like that's the only other time I can think.
Speaker 2: Of it that happened to me. In high school. Oh, we were a rap battle and kind of. So I walked onto my high school team because I played soccer my first two years.
Speaker 6: And you didn't get a scholarship if you had a walk.
Speaker 2: I was walk on in high school, and uh and and so Billy Waylee and you know, I was going to be a running back and he was like, you can't play, blah blah blah. So after practice they set up pylons, they gave me the ball and I had to go run by him five times. And everyone gathered around and no, no problem.
Speaker 5: All five times.
Speaker 2: It got to the point where in time it was just like he was he was just so demoralized. I could do whatever I want.
Speaker 4: What was your Were you going around him? Were you jum out?
Speaker 2: I could do whatever I wanted as long as it was as long as they had the ball in my hand and I was between the pylons. So the first time I tried to go around him, he got a hold of me, but I got through by the then I try to power move once that work and then and then it was just like, Okay, I got this.
Speaker 5: I got They do that thrill almost every practice where it's you know, one defensive player one offensive player. They have the cone, so you have to stay within like a ten yard five yard box and it's just one on one and usually they don't tackle to the ground. It's just like angles and like taking the right set up into the tackle on the hip hop. Yeah, but I mean last year, like when we're out at practice during the regular season, that's the only drill we ever get to watch usually, and it's like every day they do it like that drill, you know, pursue drill. So it's pretty so he.
Speaker 2: Was so demoralized Matt Morrell after he became a marine, so he had enough. I pushed him into the Marines.
Speaker 4: A good thing. You didn't have to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what to say about that. You probably ruined that guy's like.
Speaker 4: He's not tking that part of Matt's less. That's like he's got something so good to say, and he's got a big smile, and you don't know what.
Speaker 3: You probably ruined that guy's life.
Speaker 2: He's really growing in that beard though, big big beer.
Speaker 5: It really kind of like it. She doesn't like it.
Speaker 2: Fan.
Speaker 4: Did you ever see Matt's like to hear from Mats like Matt's picture on.
Speaker 3: The rest of the people can hear me? Just you guys in there?
Speaker 7: Ki?
Speaker 3: Okay, so you probably ruined that guy's like making them joined the Marines.
Speaker 2: Ah, I think I think it was all good.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 3: Also, the beer's going away this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So anyway to wrap it up, that was a cool thing to watch. I agree, I've never seen it before and over thirty years, at least at this level. Maybe they do it in college a lot, I don't know. And you know, as Evin said, he saw something similar at some of the All Star Games.
Speaker 4: I think we all kind of felt the same way, where you're getting to practice seventeen and you're seeing some of the same plays and you're seeing, you know, some of the now they're starting to counter off of those plays, but everybody, including those watching it or it's kind of like doldrums a little bit. That felt like it broke it up a little bit, and then you had pretty competitive end to the practice.
Speaker 2: We did have a transaction yesterday that we should talk about. Yeah, kind of tells you where Ben Brown is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, grate Van Rotten Rotin Roten.
Speaker 2: I'm interested to see if why is he available? He was a starter last so.
Speaker 5: He's an eleven year veteran and my guess is that he's had options but doesn't want to do training camp, so headed around and Keidan Allen did the same thing in Indianapolis.
Speaker 2: But why was he available?
Speaker 5: Why was he available? Well, I don't know if he was available, Like I think he probably had options and just waited.
Speaker 2: The Okay, so you think he had offers and he was just kind of rolling him over. Why do you think he took ours?
Speaker 4: It's a good team.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a good question. Because there's not an immediate hole in terms of starting. But you know, he's been a starter last year, two years really for the Giants, that started every game for the Giants last year at right guard. He's played mostly guard in the NFL. He did play center in the CFL, so he has played a little bit of center as well. But he's considered to be functional, you know, serviceable player, you know, not not a star or anything like that, obviously, but somebody that can be a lot reliable backup. Now. I haven't seen them play a ton of center in the NFL, so Ben Brown plays the center and guard. So see if you know, when they get him into practice, if he's snapping and things like that. But they definitely needed if they weren't going to kick Lomu inside and try that out at all, they needed somebody that was going to be a service Ben.
Speaker 2: Brown was your super sub inside.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and even here I thought it was having kind of an up and down camp.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I think that this is a little bit of bolt. I think it's a little bit of a push for Ben Brown once he does get back, and I think it's also so that they can keep Lomu attack.
Speaker 6: And I do agree with you about the center element of it, because I think the value of Brown is, you know, he can play center, and I'm not sure that you know, like James Hudson's been playing a lot of guard, and I think they could probably get by with him as a reserve guard, although I don't think he played all that well against the Colts.
Speaker 5: I would say, I don't know about.
Speaker 6: That, but you know, he's never played center, so you do need someone to be able to be the center in case something happens to Jared Wilson and if Brown, you know, and I would say the way that my sounded on Mike Rabel sounded on Saturday, I wouldn't expect to see Ben Brown before the preseason's over, So there's probably an element of necessity. I mean that said, like I'm with Mike, Mike and I talk about this, I'm like, you know, just think about how far you've progressed where you know, your lack of depth, you know, at the guard position is like suddenly becoming an area of national concern, like you would have thought that they they signed like John Hannah yesterday. The way that people were reacting on Twitter, I think was reaction. I mean I'm like, is this.
Speaker 2: Really I thought he was being sarcastic.
Speaker 6: No, I don't know he was, I think and I don't think he was alone among the media corps. And again, I recognize everything that we're talking about, I recognize as being valid, Like Ben Brown was a valuable guy because he can back up those three spots on the inside, and you lost him, someone else will.
Speaker 4: Do it, Like it's if someone else will do.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 5: I think the one thing that is, you know, it's my big deal is that Veritucker has an extensive injury history. So ver Tucker gets hurt.
Speaker 6: And do you feel like any better if he goes if he gets hurt? Not?
Speaker 5: Like, I don't I feel better about Van Roten than James Hudson or Andrew.
Speaker 6: Or okay now Andrews Makaie Butler. I feel better with the NFL guys.
Speaker 5: Like I'm not trying to better.
Speaker 8: Than Hudson, doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: I like Van Hudson was playing. Hudson was playing against backups in the preseason game on Thursday night and was getting torn.
Speaker 2: Road is the starter in this yeah, just just not a good one.
Speaker 4: So last year was is he a starter? Did he start game?
Speaker 2: He's a tackle is the different way, so then, but he's not even I would rather not do that.
Speaker 5: But I think the biggest question mark is the biggest question mark is is center? You know backup center that I would agree with.
Speaker 6: You have to have someone beyond Jacob Ritzzi. If something were to happen, I would expect that ven Ruin is going to be.
Speaker 2: So the real reason why he chose the Patriots is the new facility, and Brandon and Main writes in I watched the YouTube video introducing the new facility. Obviously, it looks incredible. It should be a huge improvement from what existed. My question is do each of you feel that having a state of the art facility, whether for the Patriots or any team, provides any level of competitive advantage? Of so how and of how much in a seventeen game season. I would think that any edge you can get as important and of having a top notch facility is worth one win over the season because of the improvement is an incredible advantage. I know that it may not be as quantifiable as being worth one extra win, but I think you can follow what I'm getting at. I appreciate your thoughts. I think it does make a difference. This is where these guys spend like more time than anywhere else during the football season. And if you can make it as meeting their needs as much as you can, I think that's an advantage. I really do. Does it equal wins maybe, but it really is just for the comfort of the player, meeting their needs in terms of training, you know, food, all that stuff. Having a facility like that is something that was we needed for a while here.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean just the weight room alone is such a stark improvement from what they had. But I like windows. It's bright and they have windows and they have exposure to the outside and they're not in like a you know, basement of you know, like, so I just think that that's going to be I don't know if it's quantifiable, Like I don't know if I would say they're going to win games because.
Speaker 2: Of it or not.
Speaker 5: It was needed in it's an improvement.
Speaker 6: I think it's a good selling point to like a potential free agent, like you should have a facility like everybody else. Yeah, I don't necessarily think it translates to wins and loss.
Speaker 4: Now, it's just so dramatic. I mean, you took the words out of my mouth have. I mean looking at the old kitchen that they used to have, which no windows, to this one now, which is bright and open and welcoming. So I mean, it's it's probably a psychological element to it, but it's hard to quantify. But I think the players are just gonna enjoy coming into work, parking under the sucker, you know, get walking right in. It's it's very conveniently laid out.
Speaker 5: I'd say.
Speaker 4: The only difference to me that kind of stood out is I finally went on my first tour last week when they opened. It was just how spread out everything is. It's very big, you know, And I only went through the other locker room maybe twice while I was here, but I was always taken by it just felt so condensed and everything is right here. So I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. But you know, this one, it seems like they have room to grow, but they have everything they need at their fingers.
Speaker 2: I mean, the hallways are really wide because there's big guys traveling in groups. Just yesterday, I was down in the old football area in the stadium and it literally is a mouse maze. It like there's no windows. You don't know where you're going. You take a right and you're lost. It's just little rooms. It's amazing. How like when this state, when this place was built in two thousand and one and opened up, like, oh boy, this was a big impro like, you know, huge improvement over the old piece of crap that we used to have. And now you look at the improvement that we had now over or over that thing. It's just amazing how we got away with that for so long. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, they do the players Survey every year and the Chiefs are always ranked at the bottom of the league in terms of facilities, and they win the Super.
Speaker 6: Bowl every other That's why it's hard for me to go to the next step, like I did, say, we're literals Wings.
Speaker 5: Defending Super Bowl champs and got ranked as the worst facility in the league. And so I don't know if that necessarily translates to and losses. The other thing. I mean, just as a football dork, the the virtual room is super cool. And we were in there and then they signed him, so I think we can say this. Hassan Haskins was in there with Tony Dues and they were running through plays, you know, walking through plays with Hassan Haskins to get him on boarded until get him out there and and practicing on the game on Thursday night, and they're they're able to just kind of put a defense up on the screen or an offense up on the screen and not like it's like a virtual game and they literally can play different pressures, different coverages, and like you can literally walk through these different things or you can use it the way that Tony Dues and Hassan Haskins were. So when I went in there, I was like, this is this is cool? Like he might I don't know if it mattered.
Speaker 6: Much needed cool, Yeah, much needed improvements and it's gotten rave reviews all around. I just wanted to close the door on that Van Rotent thing. I just looked and he I don't see any center not so games.
Speaker 5: So he played some in the CFL.
Speaker 6: Okay, so but he did. I mean, he is a much more experienced start. I mean he's been around a lot longer than Hudson in eleven years. But he's also started every game each of the last three years. So he is a much better option than Utson. He's he's a full time starter. Hudson really has never been a full time he started I think like twenty out of sixty games, whereas Van Rowden is more of a star.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's an upgrade. The point you were trying to make, though, Paul was like, this is where we're at with this. I think it's a positive and that to me is something we've talked a lot when we've all been watching practice of like it felt like there were certain training camps in the past where like this is a train wreck, or you know, it was so dramatic the twists and turns of camp, and this year it's there really hasn't been that. There has been good moments for both sides of the ball. I agree with Paul's point that the defense has probably had a slight edge to this point. It seems like the offense is picking up steam a little bit. But that's what I said to Paul, like, is this how it's supposed to be?
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 4: Are you supposed to kind of come out of.
Speaker 8: Day like until yesterday?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, I know it's been a significant edge for the defense, and I think the coaches feel the same way based on some of the things.
Speaker 8: That that Rabel has talked about with sort of.
Speaker 6: The talking back and forth and hearing more about it from the defense and stuff.
Speaker 4: But with this more in line with what you guys saw when they were more really positive that you just like punch, you know, back and forth.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, when when Brady was here, they.
Speaker 6: Had I know, we had really good defenses and in the ball right.
Speaker 2: You don't even yeah, I mean everyone once in a while they'd have a good day and you know, you'd hear about it. But for the most part that was an efficient practice. Offensively, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Think the turn though that it is slightly made maybe in favor of the offense. You know, they do have a lot of new pieces on offense that are playing prominent roles. So like the first week or so training camp when aj Brown and Romeo Dobbs are just kind of getting their feet wet and things. Even like Elijah Verratucker I thought was a little bit slow out of the gate too, and he hadn't played you know, he was hurt all of last year, so he hadn't played it all in a couple of years. So maybe the catch up is is more so about everybody's getting a rhythm and starting to figure things out. But defensively, maybe it's a little bit about Gonzales not practicing.
Speaker 2: Yep, but okay.
Speaker 6: Eight five y five.
Speaker 2: PATS five hundred is the hot line podcast at Patriots dot com. Is the email address people calling in already on this Tuesday on Patriots Unfiltered, Getting ready for the Eagles joint practices tomorrow and Thursday. Just a reminder, we'll be out there live for the start of the joint practice. We'll have Rabel live at nine thirty and then we'll open the show at about nine forty five. The practice starts about ten to fifteen, but you know, we'll do our song and dance and set things up from nine forty five to ten fifteen.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, the comic stylings of Mike.
Speaker 2: Show out there high above the practice field Atjillette Stadium. Let's go to the hot line. Herm's in d C. What's up, Herm?
Speaker 10: Hey, what's going on? Gentlemen?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 10: Two quick ones for you guys today and uh set up and listening to My first question is it seems like last year under uh Verse first training him, there was a little bit of a narrative going around that his I guess his training camp was like soft right, which I don't even know what that means. So do you guys think that might have been a reason for a relatively slow start yesterday? Right, considering we lost to the Raiders and uh and in the stylus.
Speaker 11: But on the flip.
Speaker 10: Side, I've been listening to you guys like breakdowns and stuff, and it sounds like he's been really going to gouts to the grinder, right, So out of that premise, you guys think that we'll have a fastest start, right and and looking forward a little bit and obviously beat the week one. And my second question, my second question is looking back a little bit, right, And this is coming from me a person that I literally dropped down to my knees when I found out that we had coach Brabel. But I don't think there's a world Well, do you guys think there's a world where Jaroff Mayo could have had similar success with you know, like a similar.
Speaker 11: Infrastructure and stuff.
Speaker 10: And I'll take off there and listen.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the first question I'm not sure I agree with the premise was Rabel kind of was it observed last year that he might have had a soft training camp?
Speaker 5: Yes? There was, Okay, Yeah, a lot of walkthroughs, less days and pads. I stopped tracking it because I I was writing about it, so that's why I went back. But at one point in beginning of training camp, they were significantly outpacing last year in terms of padded practices by like two or three padded.
Speaker 8: Yesterday was the tenth padded practice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now there's a limit, like you, there's a CBA mandated limit of how many you can have. But they were definitely in pads more consistently this summer than last summer. And I do think that the one and two start might have played a factor. It's a tough schedule out of the gate, Seattle, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, right out of the gate. If you start one in three, you know, this year, one and two whatever, all right, it's not as easy of a schedule to pull out of, you know, win ten games in a row and pull.
Speaker 2: Out of it.
Speaker 5: So I don't know. If I don't think it's not just Seattle. I think it's the whole month of September is a difficult slate, and so I do think that these things might be why they've They've gone after it a lot more this year, I would say.
Speaker 8: Than last gotta go.
Speaker 4: I just said, to this point, last year going into the Minnesota Joint Practices, which is dyed at seven, so there's ten, so there's been three more. Yeah, to this point, they'll probably end up about equal. The other spot I was going to say, it is just that I wonder if they're kind of going harder earlier and because you're playing so early, that they're going to pull back now and you know, these last couple of weeks a little bit lighter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I would just say that, and I'm glad you have the facts of how many times they were in pads last year. It definitely seems they've been in pads more often. I wouldn't necessarily say last year was an easy camp. I would agree with Evan. That was the perception you heard about it with UH specifically Greg Burdard was hammering it the whole summer. I didn't really understand it, but that was the shots. That was the narrative, is that they had an easy camp. And I did wonder, and I think the three of us talked about this a little bit, maybe about a week ago. Of what Evan said, maybe they took the one and two start into consideration. And said maybe we need to go a little bit harder in camp to be more ready for September.
Speaker 2: The second part of Herm's question about could Mayo have had success with.
Speaker 6: This infrastructure, I think that's that's a big question. But so you're talking about the entirety of the coaching staff, right, and all the players that they have, and a stretch a Ryan Cowden, right, you know all those people. I don't know that he would have gone fourteen and three, but he would have been better. I think one of the most underrated and undersold failings of that year was not just Girod Mayo's inexperience. It was the inexperience of the entire staff, right, Like there were guys in roles that they had never been in coordinators that had never called plays both sides of the ball, like top to bottom. There was a tough situation. I'm not telling you that Girod Mayo was this Bill Walsh in the making. If he had just been given chance a time, maybe that would never would have happened. He wasn't ready, and obviously we all know what happened. I don't think they would have gone fourteen and three and gone in the super Bowl, no chance.
Speaker 8: But they think was a big part of that.
Speaker 2: Think about all the coaches and players that Rabel has been able to bring in that he had familiarity with. Mayo couldn't do any of that.
Speaker 6: But I mean that's why, Yeah, that's why I'm trying to It's a big question. It's unrealistic that that Mayo would have been able to put this together right, But which is the way he asked it with this infrastructure. So in other words, just just take and put Mao in and everything else is the same.
Speaker 8: What would have happened. I think they would have been a playoff team.
Speaker 2: Now. The one thing that I don't think Mayo could do as well as Rabel is the culture. How he built the culture right away in the locker room by bringing in the people he knew that could back up his messaging. You know, right away he captured the team, and I think they bought in pretty quickly.
Speaker 6: Rabel was a big part of that test. I don't think there's anything I think sugar coating.
Speaker 4: I mean, Vrabel had a vision. He had coached before. I think he learned from some mistakes he might have made in Tennessee, and he came in with a plan and created this team in his image and how he knew what kind of schemes he wanted. I think in retrospect a little bit of Girod was kind of stuck still with one foot in the bill stuff and one foot trying to like maybe move outside and get into you know, the wide zone area, you know, and so it just it felt kind of like it didn't have a clear vision. And I think that was It's hard to see for me because this team feels such like Mike Rabel's vision, and I can't see Drop Mayo putting these pieces together. He didn't have the experience.
Speaker 2: Don't think he really had a vision.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that that was the biggest thing, is like the organization from the top down, Like what kind of players do we want, what kind of schemes do we want to run? How to what players that have the attitude that we want that fit the scheme? You know, like all these different things. And I think Elliot Wolf's talked about that a lot in terms of like making that easier to scout because they go into these scouting meetings and Mike Rabel has answers to all those questions like is this a patriot type of player and is you know, not just the personality, but also you know the way that they play, you know, and I think that that's I don't think drot had that.
Speaker 2: Well, they did have a north Star.
Speaker 6: So but you're venturing more into the crux of the issue. So what's what's not assume that all of the infrastructure is the same, that you're not even approaching anything close to this. Like I'm giving Mayo the benefit of the doubt with that roster, with that coaching staff, with that personnel department, with everything that went with it, now, because that's what herm asked with the same infrastructure, right, So I'm saying, yeah, he probably would have been able to win some games.
Speaker 8: He would have won more than four games.
Speaker 6: It's way unrealistic to expect if Gerard Mayo was still here that all that infrastructure would have been put in place. I don't think you would have been able to attract that coaching staff. I don't think you would have been able to identify and develop the players that they drafted and signed in free agency and all of that goes with it.
Speaker 8: I don't think there's any chance they would have approached out.
Speaker 4: What if he just fought AVP for Josh in that first year. You know, it's just kind of a thought experiment of.
Speaker 5: Because McDaniels they might have been able to get I think it would have helped with the connections to the organization and the team and everything. But I think from a personnel standpoint, there's just they they didn't have a unified vision of like what how do we want to build the roster and how do we want to build the team. And you know they came in and Rabel and Stretch and Ryan Cadden, Ellie Wolf, they have like a real cis them that that they put into place and to be able to get players and you know, free agency, draft, all of it, and I just I think that that was just totally lost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I'm not ready to crown them yet. I mean, I think the jury is still out on these last two draft classes, but I think a crown, go ahead, crown them three draft classes ago. Other than Drake has pretty much been an abject disaster, and I think some of that is related to not having a vision and not knowing what kind of at least.
Speaker 5: This last draft, like the Campbell Draft, at least has NFL players in it. Other than the quarterback that they picked third over it.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to see that. The drafts so much better now, I mean, like it's still a work in progress. Yeah, but you can't argue with the results of that that twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Anthony's in Seattle.
Speaker 12: Hey, Anthony, Hey, Red Paul Evan deuce Yo?
Speaker 9: Yo?
Speaker 12: Hey, U is a going on with Is she's still bloting around there?
Speaker 4: Yeah? She's Yeah, she's on. Uh, she's on some fun assignments this week to be revealed closer to the season.
Speaker 12: Oh okay, just making sure because you know, like that was just gone and guys never spoke about it again, So just make it sure. Hey, Hey, I'll see you guys tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I'm flying out tonight. I'll be at the joint practice tomorrow. So yeah, it sounds like I won't see Christian Dollars. Is that is he still working through an injury?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I don't think you're gonna see him tomorrow.
Speaker 12: All right, Well, I mean hopefully by by week one, by the opener, all the injury would would be behind him and the contract would be done and I'll see him on the night because obviously we know the Patriots are coming in coming into town, so I'll see them here. So hey, I got nothing more to add. I'm just a good one to call talk to you guys.
Speaker 2: Let you know, all right, Patriots and filter Banner High Trail and that's where we'll be tomorrow. We will speaking of Gonzal's no updates with him, you know, it's it's it's true that he did have something happened to him at the end of that last practice that he was at, but who knows if it's a combination of that and the contract kind of dragging out. So hopefully you know now that they've got the Witherspoon groundwork, you know, I'm sure the devil now is in the details. How much more of guarantee are we going to give him when it's going to be paid out and all that stuff. I'm sure that's what they're they're trying to work out. Like we'll see.
Speaker 4: Can I ask a question, do you guys?
Speaker 2: I mean, I've when I was fourteen.
Speaker 8: I'm permission to speak freely.
Speaker 4: I'm privy to you know, watching negotiations happen from time to time in my in my professional career, and I mean Christian Gonzalez getting dinged up in camp. Do you think that that is a a a conversation point as they negotiate this contract, is he's had some injury issues in the past, I would.
Speaker 2: Think so, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 6: He hasn't played a full season, and I'll guarantee you that that's part of the negotiation from the teams.
Speaker 5: I mean, he played sixteen out of seventeen games two years ago.
Speaker 8: I know, so he hasn't played a whole season.
Speaker 2: Paul.
Speaker 5: He sat in the week eighteen that they've played all the backups.
Speaker 6: Yea, with a concussion. He couldn't play.
Speaker 5: Okay, I mean he once.
Speaker 6: That's what they're doing. I'm not telling you I agree with it. I would have signed a month.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 8: I don't get that opportunity that I feel like.
Speaker 5: He hasn't played a full season, things like he got hurt his rookie.
Speaker 6: Year and Mike, it's back to your question, do you think these things get used? My answer is yes, I think they get used. I think they didn't do this, you didn't do that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's what you're doing in negotiation.
Speaker 2: None of us know exactly what he's asking for and none of us know exactly what's being offered. That is true. If he's asking for significantly more than Witherspoon, I do think his injuries are a factor.
Speaker 6: What do you identify as significantly more than Witherspoon just out of carrier? It depends on you know, how guarantee he had one hundred and one guarantee?
Speaker 2: How much more guarantee he's asking for? And yeah, I mean if he's asking for forty million a year, I think that's no more.
Speaker 6: But one hundred and one million guaranteed. If he were asking for one hundred and ten, is that significantly more? I would say, yes, yeah, that would, But he might he might not think that's significant.
Speaker 2: But even if he's asking for the same amount guaranteed or a little bit more percentage wise, but he's asking for aav of forty, then that's significantly more too.
Speaker 6: But I would only care about the guarantee because that's all I'm paying. Well, I mean, the best of it is fluff.
Speaker 2: No, But if Witherspoon's getting one hundred million guaranteed on thirty three million a year, I don't know what the equivalency of guarantee for forty and if he's asking for all of that, I would say, you know, okay, I can see where there's a hold.
Speaker 6: Up, but your point, sorry, just real quick. I would just say your point about not knowing exactly what he's asking for and what the team is offering.
Speaker 8: That's to me the bottom line.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 5: I just guessing, yeah, and I am totally guessing. But my guess is that it's about payment schedule and not the actual dollar amount.
Speaker 8: I don't know that, but that would be my guest.
Speaker 5: So I'm saying my guess is that because Witherspoon got the bag now, like he's getting paid in his fourth and fifth season. The fifty eight million dollars guaranteed in the first two years of the contract. That's the real money, right of the contract. The other thing's guaranteed for injury at one hundred and one million dollars. He's got play yeah, to get that.
Speaker 2: Much lest guarantee.
Speaker 5: So and for the fourth and fifth year of the contract, he's getting the bag. Now.
Speaker 2: Now here's the hope I have. At first, having the same age it was kind of a made it more complex, I think, But now I think it makes it better for the Patriots and here's why maybe this should be our legal seafood fresh take. But anyway, we'll do that after the break. But here's why he's already done the deal for Witherspoon. If he goes in asking for a lot more for Gonzales. If I'm Witherspoon, it's like, well, what are you doing? I'm just as good as him, So I don't think he's doing that. I think he's asking for something similar to what he got for Witherspoon. Otherwise, Witherspoon is his client too, and he's like, I don't.
Speaker 8: Think it matters what the agent thinks.
Speaker 7: What.
Speaker 8: I don't think it matters what the agent thinks.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 8: It's what the it's what the player thinks.
Speaker 6: The player think he significantly worth more than Yeah, well it doesn't matter what the agents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it does. I think the player agents are also their advisors. They're telling them what's realistic and what what they're done.
Speaker 6: They can tell them what they think is should be done. It's up to Gonzales to decide what is going to be done.
Speaker 2: It's true, but.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't like, I don't know if the AAV is the problem here, Like I think Witherspoon and Stingly got paid in their fourth and fifth seasons, So Sauce Gardner didn't get paid in his fourth and fifth seasons. He got paid an escalator contract, where the money that's guaranteed is kicked down the road to the back end of the contract. Typically the Patriots operate on the escalator contract scale, where you get a little bit more in the fourth year than you would get normally, get a little bit more in the fifth year than you would get normally, but the bag comes in the sixth year. And my guess is is that this hold up might be off out of that, Like he wants the Witherspoon framework where the four season, this year's or ear, he's going to get a significant pay raise, like up to almost thirty million dollars for the fourth season. The Patriots might want to be in a cut. Well, you're still on your rookie contract, so we're going to really kind of extend this out a little bit longer that Dad. I think is I don't think that it's like what Gonzales is that whether got thirty three and Gonzalez is at forty, and I don't think that's the.
Speaker 2: Case of the Patriots. Doesn't it make more sense to give him the bag right now because you've got Drake May next year.
Speaker 6: Yes, in terms of.
Speaker 5: That, yes, if you are in the school and I'm saying this is all hypothetical, if you are in the school that once Drake May's contract kicks in and maybe an aj Brown extension or something along those lines, that the Gonzales thing might get revisited in terms of him being here, like the Jets did with Sauce Gardner, then it makes more sense to kick the can on the contract down the road because then becomes another team's problem to pay him the money. So I think that that that I think is where teams, if you kick the can down the road on the guaranteed money, you give yourself a smaller amount of money due up front, then that allows you to kind of finagle the contract numbers a little bit.
Speaker 6: I hope that's not what this is, because I don't think it'll get done if it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So again, this is all speculation. We have no idea. We're all hoping it gets done some form fashion.
Speaker 6: Quickly because I don't want it to bleed into the season like you want to have Gonzales and Davis I think is so important to how they want to play defense. We talked about it early in the show, the lack of you know, proven edge rushers. You need to have guys that can cover. Gonzalez is as good cover guy as really anybody you know. Witherspoon I think is a tremendous player, you know, I actually think he impacts games in a lot of different ways more so than Gonzales. But as a pure cover guy, Gonzales is better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So I don't like, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the defense would look like. If you take your cover guys.
Speaker 2: It certainly limits it takes away from your all out pressure if you don't have good covers the corner.
Speaker 5: There's absolutely no doubt for this year's Patriots they need Gonzales. If they're gonna make noise, they need Gonzales. I if he signs the contract here, I still am a little skeptical that he plays out the contract.
Speaker 2: I don't care about it here. Yeah, but you get this.
Speaker 6: Year your scenario. The hypothetical I think makes some sense. You sign him, you give him the money you get. You know, he's only twenty five, right, twenty five, I think, so you get good years out of him. And if you think that maybe the value is not there, we overpaid him a little bit. You can move them these guys. Look, these guys move now, right, you can trade these guys.
Speaker 2: My rhythm's off. So I didn't tell Matt what I wanted for lunch. It's too late, now, too late, now, all right, We'll take a break when we come back. More calls and emails here, Patriots Unfiltered.
Speaker 9: Come welcome our newest restaurant editions at Patriot Place. Estella brings a celebration of flavors with a modern fusion menu. Exciting cocktails and brunch available daily beginning at eleven am. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and Mediterranean inspired breakfast and lunch from Angels Cafe.
Speaker 4: Craving the classics. Chick fil A makes it easy.
Speaker 9: To grab your favorite with mobile through carry out and dine in options. Download the Patriot Place Advantage app for special offers and to earn rewards every time you visit Patriot Place, Shop dine.
Speaker 13: Enjoy the heaviest metal credit card of all time, wielded at business dinners like a samurai sword. It's a classic corporate power move with the real Power Move, having end to end visibility on your most critical shipments FedEx the new Power Move.
Speaker 14: Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, you'll need a game plan. Draftking Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal betting game plan so you can get in on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools DraftKings has to offer. Hope is here eight hundred and three two seven fifty to fifty or gambling Helplinema dot org must be twenty one plus play it smart from the start game. Sincema dot com physically president Massachusetts, see DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming for details and state specific responsible gambling resources.
Speaker 1: There's enough needless nonsense in the world already. Your phone plan shouldn't add to it. Verizon's new Simplicity Plan cuts down on the nonsense in your life. Now there's just one plan, one price, thirty dollars a line per month, even for a single line, and everyone gets our best five G network. It's a phone plan designed to do exactly what a phone plan is supposed to do. Isn't that a lot simpler? Switch today at brizon dot com or at your nearest store for new customers thirty dollars per lin incluse Autopayan switch discount aditional taxi fees in terms of prime Ulimited data is retric get to on devicemarfernusage to MESI dat roaming at two speeds.
Speaker 15: If you're gonna play the gamp, you gotta learn to play it right.
Speaker 6: DraftKings is all about responsible game. It's more fun when it's for fun, so played responsibly.
Speaker 8: Draft Kings.
Speaker 7: The crown is.
Speaker 4: Yours gambling problem called twenty one plus. Age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction.
Speaker 16: Welcome to the most powerful kind of cancer care. One team unites two of the nation's best hospitals. One team saves more lives every year. Our team, we're one against cancer mass General.
Speaker 10: Brigham, Oh, I know, go ahead, so yep.
Speaker 17: A lot of everything is pretty unique to itself, and whether that's negotiations, or that's players or the play that we're running, certainly those are unique and individual situation. And I think we'll try to focus on Christians, and I know he'll focus on his own situation. So we'll continue to to work through that and he'll continue to to try to improve and try to get back out on the field. I would not anticipate that. I think he's just in the return to play getting closer. He may do a little bit more.
Speaker 7: Because it's time.
Speaker 5: What do you see this week?
Speaker 18: Will that determine if guys play Saturday or is that something you've decided a bid of time.
Speaker 17: No, I think you have to use the work that we get and how good the work goes I think, and I now, as long as we get what we set out to accomplish. I mean two days of joint practices with a lot of reps. I think upwards of you know, probably twenty eight reps. Thirty reps for the first group on each day is a good number of make sure that the tensities there, and then we'll evaluate. Yeah, it's hard to be able to get those types of things outside or you know, in a preseason game, and so you know, we're just trying to work on all those things that we're going to need throughout the season.
Speaker 7: And I thought that that would be a good time to do it right.
Speaker 4: I think you've learned about the team coming out of the joint practice and aji that you can use into in Philly.
Speaker 17: Now that we have to just continue to be more consistent. We have to continue to understand that, you know, the opponent changes, that the you know, what we see in the beginning of practice is usually going to be some of the same things that we we see in the end. If you don't fix problems, you know, or get get things addressed, or recognize new plays that you know, that's going to be what it's like in the game. So I don't know if I learned anything other than we have to continue to keep it proven that and that's the goal.
Speaker 2: What difference your approach with two days, Mike rather than one, I.
Speaker 7: Don't think it's much different.
Speaker 17: I think that, you know, we'll be able to do a lot more field work on the first day and then probably focus on the red zone the next day. But other than that, you know, we tried to put everything into one day versus Indy, and now we'll have much more concentrated work second day in the red zone.
Speaker 4: Andrew going down and then dealing with his injury, is that a position you'd like to add when that we're veterans to or do you like the younger group?
Speaker 17: Well, I mean I think we have to be able to evaluate the younger group and see what they do here this week and you know, in a competitive setting, and then also in the game, and then always, you know, keep our eyes open to to what it looks like around the league.
Speaker 19: Like I mentioned earlier in camp that we might see Caleb at Garden, I don't think we've seen it yet in camp. Is that something that you guys might do now you can deal with sym injuries there.
Speaker 7: I certainly could.
Speaker 17: I think we just what happens is is you know where where do you feel like he can make the most strides and you don't want to, uh, you know, derail the in the improvement that he's baking and some of those things.
Speaker 7: And so.
Speaker 17: I'm probably much like you guys and say, hey, that it's not that big of a deal to go from from tackle to guard. I've got a lot of coaches that I'd probably think differently than what you guys and and maybe me think, and that it's.
Speaker 7: A little bigger deal.
Speaker 17: But uh, I think Kayler has been working hard, he's been trying to improve, but I think at some point we well, we'll need to do that as well.
Speaker 7: And and that's just trying to.
Speaker 17: Be fair to the kid and the player, uh as he's developing and learning this game and this this league. Uh And then at some point in time, you know, we'll probably have to take a look in.
Speaker 19: There, Like Ted End does a spot that I think can be difficult for rookies just to grasp all the responsibilities and everything. With Ei, how is he doing with that process of getting used to NFL speed, getting the playbook down, and seemingly like get from a fire hose.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I think probably fairly well, you know, I mean it could always be better. I think that he's done some some good things, and I think he's learning. He rarely makes the same mistake twice, if you know, we coach him on something, or he didn't like what he did, and one day, he usually comes back the next day and and does does a decent job at it. You can see him consciously trying to do the things that we're asking him to do.
Speaker 7: And I think we're you know, headed in a good direction. But uh, you know, long ways.
Speaker 17: To go to having starting quarterbacks not playing all. I don't know I really just focus on the Patriots and not the league.
Speaker 7: I don't know what other teams are doing.
Speaker 17: You know, that's a question for for thirty two teams, you know, so what we're trying.
Speaker 4: To do is certainly help that.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean you get a lot of intensity, but you know, you see a lot of different looks and teams are you know, they're running a lot more stuff than they would run in the preseason in the game and putting it on film. And if that's what you mean, I mean stuff that we saw from Indianapolis and practice we didn't see from them in the game. We saw basically, you know, one or two blitzes and.
Speaker 7: A lot of other just base defenses.
Speaker 17: How do you feel run games progressing and do you have to manage expectations at all given how important time on task is and all the movement that you guys.
Speaker 7: Have had on.
Speaker 17: I mean, it's it's probably hard to tell. I mean, I think it can always be better, but you know, it's not live, so you don't know if guys break tackles and you know, receivers are trying to come get safeties that are three yards from the line of scrimmage. You know, do you want them to go nail them and then knock them into the others guys. So I think that there's a fine line there and try to figure out what the run game looks like and what it will look like.
Speaker 7: And there's been some good runs.
Speaker 17: There's been sometimes where it's been one guy but still not a very good play. So there's there's I think, good things, and there's some things that you know would have to be better. But we want to take care of our guys. We want to make sure that we're stand up and we're not creating piles. And sometimes those receivers going down to get those guys and support creates a little funky angle. And you know, we asked them to, you know, take care of each other. So in a in a game, maybe the guy you know is able to block him by the hole, and you know, in practice sometimes that doesn't happen.
Speaker 5: Are to make the most of his opportunities last year and then the state of the room, he's evening more this year. How do you feel like he has handled maybe some of that increased.
Speaker 7: R I think good.
Speaker 17: I think I think he continues to just just be more comfortable and understand what the game is and what it is from a special team standpoint, what it is from a first and second down standpoint, what some of the formations are, what he may be looking at.
Speaker 7: Some of his keys, doesn't seem to be overly stressed or or panic.
Speaker 4: How do you feel.
Speaker 5: Gibs progress has been now that he's been active for a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 7: Okay, I mean I think that it needs to be better. It was better on Monday or whatever.
Speaker 17: I guess not Monday, but whenever we practiced Saturday, I guess it was better Saturday than it wasn't the game. We pointed some things out to him in the game, and I felt it was really cool to him to be able to make those corrections and look at the some of the body positions that that we feel like he should be in, and he was really conscious of those and I saw those things translated just a quick short amount of time from the meeting after the game to to Saturday's practice.
Speaker 10: What is the biggest thing for you to stood out about him and his developing as a player?
Speaker 17: Played hard, has energy, you know, he's got you know, get you get. It means a lot to him. It's important to him. It's easy to coach you know what I mean, you can you can coach him hard, and you know he usually tries to make the corrections and comes back and he you know, I think has continued to prove. He's played well in a run game, flashed a little bit of second first and second down pass rush, being able to get into the pocket. So yeah, there's a lot of guys that we talk about the professionalism and like this is the situation. You show up the camp, you compete, and then you try to hurt a role, and that's what everybody's trying to do, and case Sean included. So I appreciate what he does each and every day. Made a huge play, uh for us yesterday at a two minute and or the other day and these days just run together. So I apologize, but made a huge play for us, and just how he did last year multiple times when we called on him. So he's ready to go, he's prepared and and he's trying to earn a role in.
Speaker 7: His football team.
Speaker 12: I'm talking about a lot last year.
Speaker 7: There's one football there's one you know what I mean, And I don't get to throw it.
Speaker 17: We have a quarterback that that gets to choose who he throws it to and hopefully it's a guy that's open and in the progression in which, uh that we install it so that you have to kind of be every guy wants the ball. Everybody wants to score touchdowns. Everybody wants the ball, but that's not realistic. So you know, we don't throw it to you. We'd like to see it, you know, transition and try to go block somebody. And I see that from guys. I see guys. One guy will have a good day, somebody else may not have as a big a day and then it kind of switches. So I think it's it's a good problem to have, and everybody knows that, you know, if they're doing in their job, that the ball is going to find him.
Speaker 4: What did you like about Jacob Brizzy as he starts there, Well, I.
Speaker 17: Mean he has battled, he's competed, he's studied, you know for a young center to go in there, and it was good. I didn't think that the game, the way that he got thrown into the game by you know, injury, was was too big for him. He was prepared and uh again, I think he'll continue to work and understand that you know, this is a little different game than probably what he was used to in college.
Speaker 7: But he is.
Speaker 17: He's figuring it out, figuring out angles and and those things are so critical for for interior linement where they have to go to get backers at the second level. You know, these guys maybe react a little quicker at this level, so I have to take a little better angle.
Speaker 5: Thanks, and now great moments in.
Speaker 2: History Satellite radio. I really like it.
Speaker 5: It's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't like it, Eric, I don't have it. You don't have anything. Okay, you don't even have HBO, pucas.
Speaker 8: That's true. I don't have HBO like you. I have access to HBO.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: But you live like a monk's life over there in North Providence.
Speaker 4: I know you're really concerned.
Speaker 2: You know, you're like a hermit.
Speaker 5: Sure, Eric, wear olive colored sweater's brown.
Speaker 2: Down because I've said that before. It has a green tint, and he gets really upset.
Speaker 4: I don't get upset.
Speaker 5: It has a green tint to it.
Speaker 4: Sure, but it's brown.
Speaker 8: It's not olive. I think it's all of trust me, it's not olive.
Speaker 3: The color of an olive, like a dark olive, looks just like your.
Speaker 4: That's another great moment from.
Speaker 2: All right. Legal Seafoods is giving fans a true taste of Boston this season as the official seafood restaurant of the New England Patriots. Pregame or postgame get the seafood you love at your local restaurant today Legal Seafoods dot Com and uh, Paul, you got a fresh take.
Speaker 8: You have a fresh take.
Speaker 6: I'm going to be legal. I'm going to be honored to give the first Legal Seafood fresh take of the day, and that's going to involve something that you guys are going to be a little surprised to hear from me, is how impressed I've been with the performance of the offensive line, particularly in pass protection.
Speaker 8: We've talked about some reasons.
Speaker 6: Why that might look a little bit better than it is, but I think that that starting five of Will Campbell, Elijah Vera, Tucker Tucker Tucker, Jared Wilson, Michael Wentu, and Morgan Moses has been intact for most of pretty much every day in camp, taking part in virtually every team rep couple here and there for Morgan Moses and some mixing and matching. I think that group has done a great job, and I think that's the biggest reason why when the offense has looked comfortable.
Speaker 8: I thought it was really comfortable.
Speaker 6: Against Indianapolis as an example, in that joint practice, I think the pass protection has been really good and I've seen a significant improvement in that area.
Speaker 8: I think that's something to build on.
Speaker 2: All right, So that's your legal seafood fresh take slash monologue.
Speaker 6: Doesn't usually come for doesn't usually come for me from anywhere. No, that amount of you know, you know with the offensive line, Yeah, that's that's.
Speaker 5: Say do that on your own time and just for you people, you know, for all you press people.
Speaker 2: Because I know that you watch this show that you thought that all these years you were eating legal seafood clam chowder at before the game. I've told you that it's not legal seafood chowder. Make note of what you had last week and what you will have this week at the game that is legal seafood clam chowder.
Speaker 4: I'm team chowder this year. I'm going yea, you were saying that during the during the game, and then I saw that not only that, but the crackers are legal seafood too. So did you have some I didn't I well, I'd already eaten in that point, but I'm gonna work it, and I'm gonna I mean, I love clam chowder.
Speaker 2: Matt Morrell's giving the thumbs up. Yeah, good stuff in a bread bull, good stuff bread game, So that that'll be for me. Every game is a little cup of legal seafood. Clam chowder.
Speaker 8: That is a thread, that's a Freddy staple, a cup of chowder, hot.
Speaker 4: Dog, it's all coming again.
Speaker 2: We don't have hot dogs, but when we're on the road and popcorn, popcorn, yeah, cracker jacks. I mean every press box should have a hot dog, yeah right and popcorn. Right, just have that rolling thing where they don't forget the postgame show donut. Well, I know, but I'm just talking about, well, you know a little stale sports writers need to eat hot dogs.
Speaker 4: Well, they finally got it together with the candy bar, so they have candy behind the bars. Pretty good.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it's the mini ones, but it's had like six pieces and that was like I got a whole candy store set up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for one of our social team members will name anonymous, Like he opened his bag and he just had like all the candy from the Vagas press spe you're supposed to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's you know, that's not the spirit market.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny how you know the press behaves. Back in the day in the old stadium, we had a press crew that was just motley. You know, you had you had your real pros like Borgeous and Mannix and in those guys, but you had a lot of people there that should not have been in that press box, that had credentials and you know, they needed to fill the thing. No one was covering the Patriots back in those days. But you'd have old guys that would come with those old old school briefcases and the only reason they had that briefcase was to load it up with media guides and anything that wasn't nailed down for their grandkids. I mean, it was just thievery going on, you know.
Speaker 4: They did they have like the typewriters back then, like you could gear like it wasn't quite that bad.
Speaker 2: But back then when I when I first started, they were still all word processors. They weren't laptops yet. They were like the radio shack candy trash. Yeah, yeah, that's what I first used at the Herald. Yeah, so they were laptops yet, but they were transitioning at that time to word processors.
Speaker 6: And you you hooked it up to a phone line and that's how you that's how that's how you transmitted your story. It didn't make that noise. It wasn't like but it was.
Speaker 8: It was a process, and it wasn't it wasn't it wasn't seamless.
Speaker 5: I am just old enough to know that noise and know some of these things.
Speaker 2: I feel like that those are heady times. It was great, you're on the new frontier.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: I had a compact computer that the keyboard would would fold up into the box which was the computer and you had to handle on it's like a big briefcase.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It had a screen about this big. And I had my dial up and CompuServe service.
Speaker 5: I think about that a lot, like we're we're jumping on a moving train as younger media folks, right, you know all the people you know. I knew somebody when I lived out in LA who started at ESPN. When ESPN started, they had a very successful career as a as a a producer in the sports TV business and like, but he got in on the ground floor, whereas like people aren't my age and younger. It's already there's nothing else to do, like it's already, yeah, it's already here.
Speaker 2: Listen. I remember I'm old enough to remember when TV went from black and white to color.
Speaker 6: I had a black and white TV, you know, when I was very young.
Speaker 2: And the first show that I watched in color was Lost in Space, and I remember they made a huge deal. You know, the next episode is going to be in living color, and uh, you know you gathered around your TV to see Lost in Space and color was it was like what.
Speaker 8: Was it the movie Diner?
Speaker 6: I think Diner in the movie and uh, the guy comes out and goes saw the pont de ros A and color TV look faked like he because it was like set back in the sixties and that that was like the whole thing, Like all of a sudden, you would see these shows for the first time in color and it looked different.
Speaker 2: Loving the AARP Show, Yeah, I think about that.
Speaker 5: You think, though, like what you know, like what's the next thing? Like you know, you want to be first to the next thing that happens in media and everything's kind of already been done, so like you have to It's like AI you know, thanks, Yeah, that's I.
Speaker 6: Don't I don't want the next thing. The next thing is going to make.
Speaker 4: Us all about this a I think it's going to be everywhere.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I think with these robots that they're building, Oh yeah, I think there's going to be a huge percentage of men who are never going to leave their house. Oh yeah, sure. And you know, oh yeah why because it doesn't talk back. It does exactly what you wanted to do when you wanted to do it.
Speaker 4: I just I really love the Terminator. Be a bunch of No, you're gonna live in a virtual space where you like come into the world. I mean maybe you don't even You just hook yourself up to like a tube to feed you and you're just living in this virtual reality.
Speaker 2: We're not good.
Speaker 5: It's not good tube now.
Speaker 2: And you know, you see all the depictions of aliens from the future, and they have these big eyes and long fingers, because that's all you gotta need. That's how we're going to evolve.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh.
Speaker 4: I just, I mean, I love the Terminator growing up, but I really am starting to feel like I might be living in like a Terminator situation and then not too, Dissy. You know we're gonna we're gonna be getting chased by a hunter killers.
Speaker 3: And Elon says, we're all thinking of it too negatively. It's supposed to be more positive than this.
Speaker 4: Okay, I know, but it seems kind of terminator.
Speaker 3: Think about it as you'll be living in your living room one day and say, oh, I want to play this video game and you'll type it in your computer and your computer will make the video urity for you.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure, but you know there's gonna be a lot of bad things too. I think I don't know. Anyway, All right, back to the phones, we go a five to five, pats five hundred.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna get this show started. Let's go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and who better to do that than Christian in La. What's up Christian?
Speaker 11: You guys, You guys, what's up boys?
Speaker 7: Hey, you guys.
Speaker 9: Hey.
Speaker 18: So the next thing really is going to be this sort.
Speaker 20: Of holographic technology where instead of having an actual guest on the show, you'll have the hologram of the guests on the show.
Speaker 5: And I think they already did that with Brady, didn't they.
Speaker 2: Well, they have had forms of it, but it's not it's it's not as good as I think.
Speaker 5: Fox did it though, right because he's at the game calling the game and then did it.
Speaker 2: A long time ago.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the next generation is you got.
Speaker 7: You won't be believe it.
Speaker 18: I was in the place called three sixty Labs here in l A and they are just it's it's amazing. I was able to walk around that they had already playing guitar. I was able to walk all the way around.
Speaker 20: Him front back side, and it was like phenomenal. But anyway, yeah, that's next, that's next generation. On the football, I watched the the CULTU preseason game. I know it's just preseason game, but what I really thought was that we have just a complete lack of ability to stop the run bouncing outside.
Speaker 18: I saw Gay Jackass get beat, you know, but whatever his name is going to be, or Jackets what his name is, I tell him get beat several times to the outside. I didn't see anyone else be able to really stop that bounced out play that ken Walker killed us with. And I'm wondering what's our plan for that? Because he can't be our only plan and I banged up Haro Landry can't be our only plan. Second thing, was do you think they did not play Kaishan Booty really because they're trying to preserve him.
Speaker 20: Or save him for a trade.
Speaker 11: And if they do, is they're possibly.
Speaker 18: A rangye outside line a rangy inside linebacker that we can get for coverage.
Speaker 20: That my second question, and then lastly is this what is this team going to stick?
Speaker 18: Put his chest out, you know, bring a shoulders back and say, you know what, we did win the AFC Champion Conference championship last year. I don't know if we've teams raised the banner for that, but we've allowed this narrative that we've gotten lucky that it was to schedule all this craft from last year to really move forward this year. And I haven't seen the team itself sort of grab the narrative of you know what, we are here because we belong. So I'm just wondering, though, you know.
Speaker 8: What do you want them to do?
Speaker 10: Talking for you?
Speaker 2: What what do you want them to do?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 18: I just want them to sort of go into this joint practice with the Eagles feeling like champions, like playing like like with that sort of areror And it doesn't seem like we have that as the team is seen like we're sort of backing into it, or we're allowing this year, Well, we'll see what happens this year.
Speaker 6: And the Eagles coming in.
Speaker 12: These guys are going to be you know, flying flying around.
Speaker 18: So I don't know what I want to see.
Speaker 2: Had that feeling, Yeah, all right, I okay, So you want to you want to see AFC Championship swagger? I guess I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think they have some swagger.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they have plenty of it.
Speaker 2: I think there'll be a lot of back and forth and talking.
Speaker 6: It's yeah, it's the summer still, you know, I don't really you know, Vrabel decided that the starters weren't going to play. I had no issue with any of that. You know, Kaishan Boody did actually play in the game. He played, They did not target him. Yeah, And I do think there's a couple of ways of looking at that. Maybe they were trying to make sure that he stayed healthy. You know, I think you could make an argument the other way and say, you know, maybe feed him, you know, three or four catches early in the game. You might get on the radar and someone might say, hey, he's expendable in New England, we should go and get that guy. I don't know I could be convinced of that either way. I don't think you're getting like you're not getting a significant piece for Kaishan Boody right now in trade. I mean you're just not well not a first like people. He's looking for a rangy inside linebacker. So was every other team in the league by the way, you know, minus one or two that have them. But you're not getting a starting caliber player for Kayshaun Boody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I just keep saying the same thing with him, like, don't you think he would have already been dealt if they had a good offer on the table for him, Like if they had a high draft pick or a player for player trade that that was that caliber. With all the rumors and all the even Kishon Boody kind of admitting at the microphone multiple times that there's.
Speaker 8: Most recently, Yeah when is it Monday?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yesterday?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that you would have already been traded if they had a great offer for him. On the edge thing, I'll come to Agus's defense like a little bit. I thought some of them, especially the twenty two yarder, the readoption with Richardson, I thought that that was like they had like kind of a play on there with him and John Saunders the safety and Akis was assigned to the back and Sanders was assigned to the edge, And I didn't actually think he blew the edge on that one particular play. But you know, he is a right now, he's the guy that needs to learn how to where he's going and how to harness it.
Speaker 6: And that was one of the very few players that was on the field that I think potentially will play.
Speaker 8: A role on defense.
Speaker 6: There weren't a lot of regular players playing in the game that are going to be big parts of what they do in twenty six.
Speaker 8: Acus Is won in the criticism.
Speaker 6: I think Rabel would agree with Christian that they wasn't a put his best foot forward. But you know, he did have an abbreviated start, you know to camp. Let's let him get his feet set. I mean, I think if you're in the you know, the middle of November and you've got nothing out of Gay Bacus, then I think that's worth saying, like he's you know, maybe did we oversell this second round pick, but right now not too concerned about him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't. I guess I just didn't have a ton of concern about him setting the edge against the run. He had a couple of screens in his direction that I thought he could have played.
Speaker 2: A little bit better.
Speaker 8: I don't think he played great, and then.
Speaker 5: The quarterback got out of the pocket and his direction on one play at Richardson got out of the pocket. But if you're looking for a guy that's gonna set a sturdy edge and not let the running back bounce like Kenneth Walker did in the Super Bowl, then I think Akus is gonna be able to do that.
Speaker 6: And Draymond Jones, I think we'll be able to do it on the other side. He didn't mention Christian didn't mention him. Yeah, I mean, stopping the run wasn't an issue last year obviously until it mattered most, to be honest with you, I mean they struggled when Milton Williams went out of the lineup down the stretch, but in the playoffs the Super Bowl, obviously it was a huge problem with Kenneth Walker had a big game, but it wasn't really an issue for the vast majority of the season. They had that long stretch where he couldn't even give up a fifty yard rusher.
Speaker 4: Which is funny because that they came out of the training camp like that. We just talked about how there was an area that they had a soft training camp, but they were okay at the stop and the run until they weren't. It's so hard to pin it down. I just I think people need to look at Elijah Ponder more. I think it's a lot more about how Elijah Ponder does this year than how gay Achus does. I think gave Acis can work his way in.
Speaker 2: To a rotation fresh take.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I I think, but I don't. We're not really talking about him, and I think the coaching staff seems pretty high on him, and they you know, he's been bright in there as the as the starter off the edge, opposite of Draymond Jones. You know, even if Landry comes back, how much can you truly expect to get from him. So in a perfect world, I think Elijah Ponder has a really breakout kind of a season and gives them some juice off the edge and gives them solid edge play. You know, Draymond Jones is fine, Like I think he's a sturdy player. But when we talk about guys getting not winning, one on ones from the defensive side. A lot of times it's Will Campbell take and Draymond Jones and I he's seeing him get tossed, you know. So it's and look, and I think they can piece it all together. They did it last year. They can blitz and they'll run a bunch of stunts and stuff to figure out a way. But look, in a perfect world, you have a dude on the edge that cannot be blocked single one on one. And then when you have that complimentary Milton Williams and Christian Barber are now you're really starting to cook with gas. So you know, that's that's that's it gonna be an it.
Speaker 5: And at least platoon ponder Akis, Like I think Ponder's a little bit better pass rusher, acts a little bit of better run defender, you know, at least if those guys can end up in sort of some sort of rotation or platoon with each other.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: And obviously Jones will play a lot on the other side. I just I have so little expectation for Harold Andry bringing anything that I think that it's going to be a lot of those two guys and maybe they can, like you know, Ponder's the better pass rusher, so he's gonna play in passing situations. And Akis is the better run defender, so he's gonna play and run situations, and they can kind of piece together a starter out of those two guys.
Speaker 4: See a little bit of Q. Hutchins too, like dabbling with some of those russ with that has.
Speaker 5: Some pretty good reps in one on ones because he's got the speed, uh, and he can play special teams. He's a really good special teams player.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 5: Well, if he's gonna make the roster, he's gonna make it covering kicks and he's really good at that, and then he's got a little bit of juice in the pass rush. So maybe they can develop him behind the scenes as a pass rusher and then allow him to play on kicking.
Speaker 4: And I kind of liked Swinson. How Swinson was moving in the game he played Late didn't feel like, you know, it was he's one of those guys that's in Late, but I don't know. I kind of liked how he was moving and playing a little bit.
Speaker 6: The only guy I liked off the edge in that game was Luketta, Jesse Luketta, who has. I mean, he should look better at that stage. Mike and I talked about this a little bit at practice. You can sort of see a difference with a guy who has kicked around the league for a year or two. Yeah, as opposed to the undrafted rookie who's playing, you know, in a full stadium NFL stadium for the first time.
Speaker 8: And I thought Luketto was one of those guys.
Speaker 6: Mike brought up Hassan Haskins as a running back, you know, yeah, maybe it looked like a little bit better than like Lean Larrison and Jim Miller did, Which makes sense because he's playing against guys that have never been in the league late in the preseason game and he has some NFL experience. I don't necessarily think that those guys are going.
Speaker 8: To factor in. Like Luketta, I mean, I think.
Speaker 6: Could be the kick returner. He's got twenty running back twenty eight career kick returns. You know, they want a running back in that role.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe that's that's how he finds a roster, stands out in that group.
Speaker 5: Because I thought Jan Miller ran it pretty well. I thought he was fine in the but then they signed Haskins and he was immediately taking reps in practice from jam Miller. Yep, so I wonder if that is already. I don't know that they really like Haskins. It was like immediate that he came into practice and was getting work.
Speaker 2: Jeffson Maine. What's up, Jeff, Hey, now he now So some of.
Speaker 11: The things you just said probably answered my questions already, But okay, I was wondering if there was who the third running back might be, whether it would be Larson, Miller or Haskins or you know, in my opinion to keep four if you can, but probably too much with Gilliam. And the other quick question would be if Lanes the time, who is their backup with Gibbons now gone. I think he went to the Cardinals.
Speaker 2: M hm, that's all I have, all right, thanks Jeff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean talking about the preseason game, Chad Mummer really struggled and then now he's been hurt, so maybe it was injury related that he struggled, but he he had a rough game on Thursday night and kJ Britt made a couple of plays back to back that caught at camp.
Speaker 4: Hadn't seen it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, obviously they like Khalil Jacobs really reads the run really well as fast, processor plays quick, But I don't know if he's ready as an undrafted rookie to play like a third linebacker. Roller going to play a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And even Obi Eiser was getting some you know reps yesterday a little bit. I mean just I don't know what that means, but I think it's a long term need. Christian talked about trying to trade for one of these guys. I don't think that's on their docket. I think they'd be okay with Spulling and Ellis for the season, but that is the great question, you know.
Speaker 8: I think he is going to factor into that mix.
Speaker 6: Del Pettis, Yeah, yeah, safe box if they need, like if they have to go down the depth shot and do some different things. I've seen him out there in the middle, and that's the role that he's in, is what Evan just said, like sort of the box safety guy. And I thought it was interesting today Reggie Gilliam talked and he was talking about sort of fullback being one of those positions you kind of have to play. Like these reps in preseason are kind of valuable for him because there's a feel and like you need to sort of learn the linebackers, and he mentioned Spallane, Yeah, hellas and Pettis, Yeah, those are the three names he mentioned.
Speaker 5: Pettis can hit like Pettis hits and brings it. John Sounder is probably more athletic and play more in coverage. I would say more. They're a type of player in terms of playing deep and covering tight ends and receivers out of the slot. But if you want to like a true downhill box safety, then Pettis probably fits that. And I think Mike Brown has kind of gotten passed over at this point by those two guys. But big Nickel three safety looks. It's like I think that they're trying to get to that. It's just do they have the third safety to do it as much as they think they want to that.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, countering heavy personnel yesterday. I mean that's you know, he's kind of the dimeback right now. And you know, I like that player and I but I think this is an area I talked about going into camp. Are they stuck in Nickel? Are they kind of you know, they don't really del Pettis no no offense to him, Like he's been around for a little bit and he kind of is winning it. I mean, he's having a good camp. I think he's been active. But you know, I just once you get beyond their base nickel and you're talking about taking Marcus Jones off the field, just I'd love to have a little bit more promising depth that you feel like, man, it'd be great to be able to get this dime back on the field. He's a rookie, but he looks like he can play. And I'm sure the extreme will be how they felt about even more Y last year, where like, this guy, we got to get him on the field. He's going to change our defense.
Speaker 5: That that's I think the question is that you know, we've seen them experiment with pure base like you know, real base defense. Muma has been the third linebacker for the most part in base. They've also experimented with three safe. But the teams that run a lot of three safety, Seattle, the Chargers, Baltimore, it's I Minori, Derwin James, and you bring the Kylembt like it's studs that are playing that Nickel role. I don't know if del Pettis or John Saunders is really good enough for that. So you know, It's great in theory to want to do that with how teams are loading up offensively with the tight ends, but like, do they really have the horses to do it?
Speaker 4: A lot so too with Charles Woods, like he's been getting some slot reps, so it feels like they've got him as definitely the backup on the outside, but I think he also could be, you know, just that they want to get. We don't want to go as heavy as del Patis, but we want to bring in a you know, a dinmeback that's a corner. I think that that's a place Charles Woods is going to play too.
Speaker 2: Darius and Louisville writes in listening but hearing you guys Evan and also Rabes talk about running the ball more or better against Seattle has me thinking, I know we weren't great running the ball when we needed to last year, but do you think they'll over correct for that for last year and take the ball out of drake hands Drake's hands more. I think with the weapons we have and Drake getting smarter, we can spread teams out and let him pick them apart. Evan, I'm not saying never run the ball. I love the running game. I guess I'm just asking if Drake will be hurt by the need to try to run the ball better. I'm not worried about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah no, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: But I think that make Drake better.
Speaker 5: If teams are gonna go lighter, defenses are gonna go lighter, and they're gonna play too high safeties and they're gonna light in the box and all this stuff. Like you that's that's the chess match, Like throwing into Seattle's two high safety shells is not gonna You're not winning that way. Like that's how the Super Bowl went, and we all know how that went. So you know, if you're gonna that's what you gotta do. You gotta you gotta be able to run the football. You gotta get them out of nicol, You got to get them out of too high safety. You gotta make them put another hat in the box. You gotta make them put bigger bodies on the field, and that's when you can start to create opportunities in the passing game. So that's everybody in every NFL training camp is having the same discussion, how do we get defenses out of too high safeties? Because everybody's playing the same defense. They're all playing with an umbrella over the top of the defense. So how do we get the defense out of too high safety. You gotta run the ball like you gotta put big people on the field, and you gotta run the ball like that.
Speaker 4: Especially when your quarterback is really good at throwing the ball downfield with accuracy. And so, you KNOWV said it, this is the trend right now. Everybody wants to play with that high shell. Like who else are you doing it against other than Drake maybe, And that's the perfect guy to say, let's play too high. Let's make Drake readout the coverage and take the check downs. And like V said, the great thing that will even all that out is you start running the ball. And they got to bring somebody into the box. Now Drake's gonna.
Speaker 2: Feast, and then your offense becomes hard to defend. You've got that right.
Speaker 5: It's exhaustingly boring. How many defenses play the same defense every week you turn on a tape, it's the same defense. It's a modified version of the Seattle three. Now it's more too high safety instead of you know, cover three. And it's just the same thing over and over again, and every single time you watch offenses that try to drop back and pass thirty five times a game against that, and Seattle's bringing pressure from everywhere, and you're like, this is just a death sentence.
Speaker 6: And I would just say, completely anecdotally, I'd be stunned if they don't attempt more passes this year than they did last year. They were low twenties so many different games because that's all they needed to all they needed. They're they're in control in the second half, the attempts are down, we're running clock and we're getting out.
Speaker 8: It's not going to be that easy this year.
Speaker 6: So I just think game situations will dictate them having having to throw more than they.
Speaker 4: Did last games will declare Yeah, I mean, I mean Gilliam's a big part of that. I think that's a big acquisition and it's you know, it's going to immediately be one of those things early on where you're feeling out, how are they going to play us when we put Gilliam on the field.
Speaker 7: What about it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's gonna Paul's favorite kind and type.
Speaker 8: I love that because that will take the ball out of Drake Mays hands and I would not like that.
Speaker 5: He's gonna love. I mean, this is where we're going. We're going. Full backs are back, multiple tight ends are back. It's the because it's the only answer. Like, if they're gonna play this way defensively, you know you got to find a way to get them out of it, and it's the only way to do it.
Speaker 2: Paul in Providence, it's great that Dobbs and Brown are making progress in their connection with May, but I can't help but think this progress is more of a function of playing it against second and third string cornerbacks. The connection, particularly with Dobbs was non existent when playing against the first team defense. Do you have any concerns that this development is fool's gold.
Speaker 6: A lot of these catches were against Carlton Davis, so yeah, I think that's a little unfair.
Speaker 5: They've they're proven NFL players. Like if this was a rookie and he was and like they drafted a high pick and he was going off and practice against depth corners, But like it's AJ Brown and Romeo Dobbs who have real production in the league. And I also just would say, like not every team has Christian Gonzalez and Carlton Davis. They're geting to play a lot of teams that have stinky corners and like they're not gonna be as good as the guys the Patriots have.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 5: So I think at the very least, it's encouraging that like AJ Brown, if you put AJ Brown against a kind of a fringe outside corner, like, he's still going to torch that guy at this stage of his career. And that's the way I would.
Speaker 2: Look at it.
Speaker 6: But if you wanted to be negative about it and say, well, you know, it's because of the guys getting hurt, you could say that about AJ Brown hasn't seen Gonzales now for a week, so maybe that's why he's on an uptick. Carlton Davis and Romeo Dobbs have seen plenty of each other. Davis has been back now for several practices. He's back like he you know, am I saying that he's in like regular season form? Probably not, But why should I think that Romeo Dobbs is in regular season form.
Speaker 8: It's camp for him too, So they've been back.
Speaker 6: I think, like I said earlier in the show, he's been running those twelve yard outs and getting open routinely.
Speaker 4: Hatriots place with.
Speaker 6: Carlton Davis covering him again. Brown might be benefiting from Gonzalez's absence, but I don't think that's been the case for Dobbs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they just look like Patriot plays to me, and that's you know, it just looks comfortable. He looks like he's in the right spot regardless of who the matchup is. Yeah, you know, he's just in the right places. And I think that's what I was most interested in, not that all these matchups are shutting him down. Does he know what to do? Can he get there quick? Can he you know, be where Drake wants him to be?
Speaker 2: And it wasn't that way when camp started.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, I mean, look, there's always competition's gonna uptick, but you know, a J. Brown going against Christian Gonzalez every day, that's that's as good as a matchup as you can possibly see him.
Speaker 5: Less than the slot Dobbs, Like, I think early on they thought that he was going to play more inside and played the big role and stuff like that, and I feel like now they realized it's going to be more of an outside receiver, heavy you know, offense, with Dobbs and Brown both playing on the outside.
Speaker 2: Tina from Indy rites in thank you for making me laugh every time I listen. I enjoy the banner, and I honestly have learned so much about scheme and different personsonel from listening. I had to write a quick email to tell you that I love Mike's shirt. He looks exceptionally handsome. Today I am happily married, but I can still look thank you, thank you for my shirt.
Speaker 8: I would agree with that email. Mike, you are exceptionally handsome.
Speaker 4: I love hearing him.
Speaker 8: Paul he Is say he's a good looking guy.
Speaker 5: Say it all the time, mister Hollywood over there, we can handsome.
Speaker 7: Matt.
Speaker 2: Matt wants to know what Evan thought about Raridan's blocking and if the fans feel kind of justified about what they saw during training camp.
Speaker 5: Good getting better.
Speaker 8: That was my next question.
Speaker 5: The block that he threw on Jan Miller's fifteen yard run was really nice. Came off the end combo the end with Arkin, came off, hit the corner, threw him out the club. That was like, there we go. That's what you want more of that. Some of the like base blocks or kickout blocks on the line of scrimmage is more of like a stalemate. Right now for him than he's like actually creating movement, and I think that's where he is going to need to improve a little bit. But functional, like I thought it was okay, it's fine.
Speaker 4: He's not going to make his living blocked out block He's a big running guy, and like, you know, it's fine now, and then they're gonna have to show him in to do it. He puts in the effort. He's got good size, he's thick, but you want him to be running the seam and making plays down the field.
Speaker 8: He ain't thick with two c's. He's small.
Speaker 5: He's very tall, but he's small.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think I like his build though I don't think his build is you know.
Speaker 6: I think he's a sterticular athlete. I think he can be a weapon in the past. I don't know if I'm not telling you now. I think down the road he could be a really valuable weapon.
Speaker 8: And that's for them, I mean, that's what you want. I don't think he's ever going to make a living.
Speaker 6: I mean unless I mean, we're trending in the right direction learns nutrition at the NFL, we're trending in the right direction.
Speaker 5: As a blocker, like he's I don't think he's going to be Gronk obviously, but like we're trending in the right direction there, and you know, if he's there's a chance that he could be better than Hunter Henry already as a rookie. Hunter Henry is not a very good blocker as a block Yeah, So like I think that there's a chance that that happens. I was less excited about Arkin. I thought Arkins struggled in the game. I thought Rariden was was decent.
Speaker 6: And I look at Arkin and Rareden like comparatively, and I know that they play I mean, I know they both tight ends, but they don't really play the same position.
Speaker 8: I understand that. But one of them is like a tackle and the other one is like a you know, a big slot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought I thought Arkins struggled a little bit in the game. I thought that they gave Rareden some real assignments though, like they had him blocking ends and things like that, And like.
Speaker 6: You need to because that whole thing about being predictable is relevant, especially and Josh has talked to me about this a million times over the years. If you if you have to get stuck, well here it comes Arkin for the two tight ends. That's a tell. Yeah, And they don't want to do that, So you need to railed and be able to at least show up. Yeah, And that's what Rabel said the other day, Right, he's willing, He's willing.
Speaker 5: I just want to see a little bit more movement on the kickouts, like he just that space just gets a little bit too compressed and they try to hit the sea gap runs, just like, get him out a little bit more. But that might come, but that he might need some skinless chicken Polly before we're talking.
Speaker 2: I agree that Chris and Clemson trying to stay away from the usual camp questions. So I have these three for you guys. One, is this defense actually built to win without blitzing? If the Patriots can't consistently generate pressure with four, does that force able to blitz more than he'd like? And if so, does that create a domino effect by exposing the linebackers and secondary and coverag Yeah, it does.
Speaker 8: Small sea concern. Yeah, to steal Evans phrase of the Summer two.
Speaker 2: What happens when a defense decides aj Brown simply isn't going to beat them if teams bracket Brown play too high and force someone else to win. Have you seen enough from Dobbs, Douglas, Henry in the running game to make them pay? Or does this offense still become significantly easier to defend when Brown is taken away.
Speaker 8: I have less concern about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have less concern about that for sure. I think. I mean the way Pop Douglas has been showing up, the way Dobbins has been showing up. I mean, I think Vermondre is just quietly doing what Modre does, and if he stays healthy, he's going to be a back who can do It's be stunned if Andre Stevenson had like a bunch of big plays in the passing game. No, I feel like they've been using him a lot as a receiver on like does not just like dump offfs like on design routes. That little I always call it a stick row, but I don't know, it's probably not that, but that little like a little bend to the post that over the middle, and he's got big plays on that on that little.
Speaker 6: Round the angle are out, Yeah, and it's it's there, like every time that they go to it. It seems like it's open. And I think they used it a couple of times to get out of trouble last year. Once I think in the I think the Chargers playoff game, but I might be misremembered.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I have a little dump feet biggest game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think they have a lot of options. If teams want to dial up something to take aj Brown out, I think they have options.
Speaker 2: So they're bracketing him.
Speaker 5: That's two guys and four guys. Yeah, I don't know how that we got there, but they they have more now I think this year than they did last year. If that that's the game plan, if they're taking out Brown, like last year when they got into the playoffs, they started taking out.
Speaker 8: Digs and they didn't have options.
Speaker 5: They didn't really have much else. But this year I feel like they're better better A question?
Speaker 2: Final question is what did Indianapolis expose that coaching may not be able to fix? Looking at what you saw against the Colts, which problems were communication or execution issues that can be cleaned up in which, if any, made you think the Patriots simply may not have the personnel to consistently win that matchup against good teams. Does Philadelphia give us our first real answer?
Speaker 5: Covering tight ends as good as Tyler Warren. Have you faced, like may you faced a guy like, you know, top five tight end in the league. I think that you might worry about that a little bit. You know, Aj Barner gave them trouble in the Super Bowl. Warren gave them trouble if they play like a Ifada is ever healthy and he's playing, you know, for the Bills, you know, things like that, Maybe.
Speaker 4: How do they deal with like three tight ends, like when they go in into Chicago, you know, like that's interesting. I know they're kind of you know, unique. The Rams kind of do that thing too, But I would say the rushing offense, I just over all the upfront consistently pushing guys off the line and open it up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, those are things that I think are issues in New England. I don't necessarily look at anything that happened against the Colts and worry about it, but the tight end thing, because even if you take it back Tyler Warren is an exceptional talent, then you get on the field in the game, which is obviously paired down, but now you have backups against backups, and tight ends are still an issue. So I just wondered if defensively, Do they have an answer for this?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean even will Mallory them some problems. Yeah, So that that would be something i'd specifically to the Colts. The rush offense, I think is just a matter like they're not a they're not a bull dozing offensive line. Like they're not a they're not a road grading offensive line. That's not the group that they put together. So you have seen a lot more stretch you know, outside zone plays and things like that like that takes time, like to develop the chemistry on the combination blocks and the reads and all that kind of stuff. So I you know, maybe that's a little bit of a slow burn is the run game. But I don't know if that's specific to the Colts. The one thing I would worry about with the offensive line, know is that like they they don't really have like a lot of power. But outside of on when you on that line that you really think of people, you know, downhill people movers, like we're gonna get on double teams and and move the line of scrimmage. I think they're gonna be more of like a finesse you know, run game, which we'll see if that that translates.
Speaker 4: In on that one too.
Speaker 6: It does seem like even now when they have any monicament success running the ball, it's to the right side. Remember that was the big thing last year. They had a sort of power up behind a winner win Moses. I've seen that a little bit this Every once in a while there's a crease off right tackle and no sniff off on glad.
Speaker 4: Evan said though at the top, reminding people that Elijah Vera Tucker hasn't played in a year. So I think, you know, I kind of forgotten that, and I think that's an important.
Speaker 6: Have you've been disappointed in vera attacker like Fred's been disappointed in Drake Back.
Speaker 4: I just I would say underwhelmed. I know, I mean, but it's hard to be overwhelmed. It's hard to be overwhelmed in a practice, you know, setting like this. But you know, I don't know that's one where how good is this guy? Because you know it's a first round pick. Everyone said, well, he's healthy, he's really good. Okay, I'll give some chance to knock some rust off. But like I want to see who this first round pick really good guy is.
Speaker 5: See, I feel like I've been I think Vera Tucker's been fine. Yeah, Like I think a lot of the things that have been issues with him early on were picking up stunts and games and things like that with Campbell, which you expect for two guys that haven't played together next to each other on the line before. I mean, is he like game Changer is at Quentin Nelson and like all of a sudden, your line just completely changed because you sign this guy. Probably not, but I still feel cautiously optimistic that you know, he's going to be a better left guard than Jared Wilson, and Jared Wilson's going to be at least as good as Bradbury at center, and like you're, yeah, I think that's marginally approving there.
Speaker 4: I like Avt's mean face, Like I feel like the rest of the line doesn't really have mean faces. Like they all look like nice guys, you know. I mean, Jared Wilson especially smile all day. We'll find out just a little bit a little bit of when you but I still but he's really like nice, and you know, I got to know him.
Speaker 8: He's really nice.
Speaker 4: Morgan Moses, even though he's got kind of the Rick Ross and going like he's still is just like our dad, like we all love him, but you know, Vera Tucker's just got that Like even today twenty years got a little bit of in a logan Mankins. Well, by the way, my sister ran into the logan Mankin's family up and yeah, I said.
Speaker 5: Something that I'm like looking for a little bit out of Campbell, like, Okay, you're one, you get your feet wet, You're just a rookie. You're not gonna lead necessarily right out of the shoet. I think Drake May ran into that problem a little bit too, but like the tone needs to come from somebody in that room, and he's the a hole, Like he's the guy that should be able to set a tone and have a mean streak. And I think they got some nice guys up there, and I like them all and they're fun to talk to and with the media. I would put Lomu in this category two, Like I'd.
Speaker 6: Like Lomo absolutelyell, like he's just such a nice kid.
Speaker 5: Can you take him like alligator wrestling or something like it's like you know you got I think that that's I hope that that comes a little bit more from Campbell this year, Like they need an.
Speaker 2: A hole on that, Uh, how they make the bulls get mad? Yeah, do something like that to get him pissed off.
Speaker 5: With like like even when he's a really strong and like powerful blocker, but he's not. He's not a finisher, Like he's not he's not Mays like, you know, I think they need a little bit of that age. I'm hoping that Campbell like kind of grows into that now that he's comfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like, I like how you put it, because that's one of the things that surprised me. I feel like that's what kind of expected were able to put together an offensive line and like just tough guys Like I don't know, maybe that's stupid, but they might be, but they all seem really nice.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying that they're not tough. I'm just saying that they're not nasty. Yeah, I need some next logan.
Speaker 4: Could you look at his face and you could just tell, like that guy's got a mean streak, you know, that's like AVT like his I'm like, that guy's probably got a streak.
Speaker 2: Didn't we know?
Speaker 4: Will does?
Speaker 2: Didn't we notice last year even in this rookie season, you know, Campbell playing right up to the whistle and maybe a little beyond that times.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, I mean at least preseason he knocked a guy from Sonny's car wash ten everybody.
Speaker 4: There was a couple of runs that he was he was throwing some extra business.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you need to have Tim in California, says Christian in La needs to take a time out for mis pronouncing Gabe Acus his name. I bet he wouldn't do that.
Speaker 6: I don't think he.
Speaker 8: Person announced it to me neither.
Speaker 4: No, he would not.
Speaker 5: He would not do anything that was crazy though.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't think he mispronounced it. Let's just say it.
Speaker 7: No, he did that.
Speaker 2: Purson absolutely talk about the guy with Christian Sean Mack from PA some ups and downs from the first preseason game. Ups our preseason post game show was one hundred times better than last year. The new host in Troy prevent Paul from carrying the shows on his own.
Speaker 5: Uh downs.
Speaker 2: Whoever decides the idiot combination on the uniforms? Do the Patriots listen to the fans? This blue on blue combo is horrible. Just keep it blue and silver. Would be nice to see a return of the Dynasty uniforms against the Raiders for the twenty five year anniversary. Also, they have not announced the throwback and rivalry game yet. Any clue when that happens.
Speaker 5: They have announced the rivalry game, but I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: Don't Pizza. I got a lot of those comments in the blog during the preseason. Why are they wearing the blueberries?
Speaker 6: Real?
Speaker 2: It's preseason? This is that's why preseason you wear your worst uniforms.
Speaker 5: Of the preseason.
Speaker 9: You do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't, you don't. Why is that you don't bring out your your top notch, you know, clothing for the preseason? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Also when you bring out your actual uniform now.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily you got four uniforms now.
Speaker 5: The problem though, is that when they wear the blues with the silver pants. I'm in agreement that that's a better look, but the silver pants are the old pants. They don't they don't match the new the new top, so they need to We can't do this. You understand what I'm saying, one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: You can't. You can't do this.
Speaker 4: No, they can't do this.
Speaker 2: Like you can't, they can.
Speaker 4: You can't be the only dynasty in NFL history to not wear the uniforms you want at all when everybody's got twenty seven different uniforms, and you're like, but let's not wear the uniforms we won the six super bowls in let's keep going with the Frankenstein.
Speaker 6: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 8: They change they have that they don't match.
Speaker 4: They have this, they changed to the altar, to the what their color rush? They changed them to the color rush, and they're like, oh, they don't like the blue, let's just bring back the great pants. They don't match.
Speaker 5: The stripes don't match. They're like little pink stripe grms.
Speaker 6: Amazing.
Speaker 4: I'm passionate, but like, I just think this is a brand thing. Like you won six super Bowl wearing an I.
Speaker 6: Can understand why did you see the need to change your uniforms that you had so much success? In that argument, I completely understand this whole other thing about blue on blue.
Speaker 5: We don't women that like.
Speaker 6: Again, I'm with Fred, like grown men talking about uniform combinations that they like, they don't like.
Speaker 5: Who cares, That's not my problem. My problem is that the blueberry jersey with the old silver pants you Frankenstein together a uniform. It doesn't match.
Speaker 4: It looks ridiculous.
Speaker 6: It's like, fine, you don't you know, I'm not telling you to get I don't.
Speaker 5: But it's not like a light thing.
Speaker 8: It's like, this is not just what is the match problem?
Speaker 4: Like what is blue and blue and silver the red stripe and the red and the white stripes don't match.
Speaker 2: The stripes?
Speaker 5: This is I will say, to show me this is a right and wrong This is not and I'm going to take you away for it.
Speaker 8: I just like, I guess I just never looked that closer.
Speaker 6: I mean to me, it's not like like those old silver uniforms that we wore back in the day. They just were terrible. You if they looked dirty, it was a bad shirt. Like I never looked at it and be like, just they don't match, Like I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just like, but if the stripe, if the stripe configuration is different, and I guess you have a point, it doesn't match. I never know.
Speaker 6: That's what I That's what I'm saying. I'm not telling like, haven't said this is a right and wrong thing.
Speaker 5: I'll take your word for it. I just never know.
Speaker 8: I don't care enough to notice.
Speaker 4: The flopside for me, though, was the white on white that they wore on the Super which I like because they match and they looked and it's like a new look. And I you know, I didn't even really care for those new white uniform white jerseys they are, but I think with the white and white it looks sharp.
Speaker 7: I like it. I don't.
Speaker 8: I don't love those. I don't love all white.
Speaker 4: You're impossible.
Speaker 8: I don't love all white.
Speaker 6: But it's again, it's it's fine, like it's it's a uniform.
Speaker 15: Like it's not it's it's it's twenty five twenty five teams in the league just to me my impartial, like they just have uniforms like whatever they wear.
Speaker 6: Like there's a couple of teams. I'm like, oh, I really like those uniforms, you know. You know the Chargers are always when that gets all, you know, I think they're a little overrated.
Speaker 5: I agree if you think.
Speaker 8: But I do like the powder I do.
Speaker 6: I do like the powder blue uniforms. I like some of the ones with that that Detroit wears, some of their combinations. But like you know, people lose their minds over like, oh, the traditional Steelers and Packers, like they're boring.
Speaker 5: Is I just want to get past that match man. I don't really like it's not even so much a matter.
Speaker 8: Can we just bet they don't match?
Speaker 6: This is?
Speaker 5: This is minor league? Like, can we just get pants?
Speaker 8: I would agree, I just I didn't know.
Speaker 6: I'm with fred We're in the on the outside looking in, Freddy, we got we gotta get with it now.
Speaker 2: Now I hit my eyes off of it.
Speaker 5: Look at those pants.
Speaker 4: They don't mask, they don't match.
Speaker 6: I might have to say during the show, during that game the broadcast Saturday night, all right, why are they in these you don't even match? How they don't match?
Speaker 2: Crazy?
Speaker 4: It really does.
Speaker 2: That's it for this show. But tomorrow nine five, we are going to be live for the joint practice with the Eagles. When is Catch twenty two this week?
Speaker 5: Three to five Tomorrow after practice three to we'll break down practice.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Barthy has going to carve out two hours for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's why we started late, is because we both have to write, and he's got got times. I want pull Barth attention. I don't want like he's typing and I'm hosting and.
Speaker 8: He's gotta talk about eleven guys that I've never heard.
Speaker 2: It's like on his hits on the Sports Hub, ninety five gets the best of you. I get the rest.
Speaker 4: We know each other.
Speaker 5: I'm sitting a little close to home.
Speaker 8: Friends.
Speaker 5: We know each other so well that you can tell. I can tell when he's distracted because I know him so well that like I can tell, and that annoys me. So I'm like, let's just do it when you're one hundred percent done, like when you can really do our show.
Speaker 6: And not focus.
Speaker 5: Alex focused.
Speaker 8: So after his post Sports Hub cigarette he comes in. Now, Okay, yeah, I'm ready.
Speaker 7: What do you now?
Speaker 8: You have my attention.
Speaker 5: Listening to him yesterday with doing the names was actually pretty.
Speaker 2: It was pretty funny. Yeah, that was a good bit. They made it. They turned it.
Speaker 8: They turned it into a good bit. Well was going on. It was not a good bit.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Nine.
Speaker 4: Hey, this is Duce. Thanks for tuning into the show. If you really want to help.
Speaker 9: Us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts like Apple Podcasts or spot.
Speaker 4: Also make sure you follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 8: Thanks a lot,