Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media, and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 3: Democratic Senator Ron Wyden released an investigation exclusively to Bloomberg News. We can throw this first hairsheet up on the screen. He's obviously been investigating Epstein's finances for a very long time. The Bloomberg headline here is Deutsche Bank JP Morgan Bank of America enabled Epstein. Widen report says, Now, of course, we basically already knew this, but it's a report from investigative reporter Jason Leopold over at Bloomberg, who says that Deutsche Bank failed to promptly report to US authorities more than two hundred and fifty million dollars a quarter of a billion dollars in suspicious transactions tied to Jeffrey Epstein, including funds used to pay women in Russia and other Eastern European countries, according to a new report from Ron Wyden, now that report itself is really long and really dense. In fact, this is the last element. We can toss this up on the screen. This is going to be a D three. Widen, after giving this to Jason Leopold, released this full it's nearly one hundred page report going through exactly what they discovered and Widen's team rights. The investigation revealed how major compliance failures at several Wall Street banks enabled Epstein for years by failing to report or choosing not to report his suspicious financial transactions to federal law enforcement. These banks allowed Epstein to send cash payments and wire transfers to his victims, friends, and collaborators around the world. The bankers who needed to be asking questions didn't ask them. Jeffrey Epstein's crimes were hiding in plane sight. Widing goes on to say they found quote significant evidence that JP Morgan Chase. Deutsche Bank of America violated federal anti money laundering laws by failing to screen and report Epstein's suspicious financial transactions in a timely manner. They went through records that were at the Treasury Department. You may actually remember Widen very publicly going through some of those records, I think it was last year, and internal bank records that showed top executives at major banks were aware of Epstein's suspicious financial activity for years, but withheld information from the government and protected Epstein from federal scrutiny. So there are a couple of things going on there, first of all, not properly screening Crystal, and second of all then withholding information from the government, failing to report information to the government, And Widen points out they failed to conduct appropriate due diligence on more than one hundred and seventy million dollars in payments to Epstein from Leon Black. They say the documents show that even after JP Morgan formally terminated Epstein as a client, which people may remember is like a story involved in exactly this conversation, due to human trafficking concerns, the bank still waited years to report his activity to regulators and top bankers eagerly continued to work with him informally through other channels where he could continue to be a source of referrals for other ultra wealthy clients. So, christ I think the big picture here was already known that essentially a lot of these banks were in bed with Jeffrey Epstein, and we're looking the other way, failing to report information to the government, failing to do their due diligence as required by law and by decent human beings, of course, with some of these transactions. But what Widen's doing here, I think, is really putting some meat on the bones of what was already broadly known. This is a very big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I mean this follow the money piece is extremely important because it gives us a glimpse into how this all, how this whole network operated, and how it was able to persist for so long.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bank of America they reported they're one hundred and seventy million dollars in Epstein related transactions connected to Leon Block Black, but they did so five to seven years after they took place. The bank said some of those transactions had quote no apparent economic business or lawful purpose, you know, The other question here is whether there should be criminal charges or some sort of charges filed against those who were involved in these decisions, because banks are under a legal obligation to report this type of suspicious financial activity. So they appear to have failed in meeting those legal obligations. So someone should look into if something could be done there after the fact. And so you see the way the network operated though. I mean, number one, all of these banks, they're making too much money with Epstein, so and he's not only from his own transactions, but also he would bring in Elon Musk for a meeting, he would bring in Israeli officials for meetings. He would try to bring in high net worth individuals to these various banks. So he was a golden goose in terms of client development and relationships. So they were making too much money. And then some of these people had direct personal entanglements. You know, there's all kinds of very disturbing emails between Leon Black and Jeffrey Epstein that would are highly suggestive of some quite disturbing activity that they may have been partaking in. So that's the way that this whole thing would operate. And if he got a couple people in high places at these institutions, who were you know who he had some sort of black mail material, some sort of a personal relationship with, then he could get his way and he could encourage them to turn the other cheek. And they were highly incentivized to do so anyway, because of the money that was being made.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And remember, jess Daley is all over the Epstein files, and particularly in his capacity at JP Morgan. Obviously he was the CEO of Barclays resigned Epstein problems back in twenty twenty one, but he was at JP Morgan for like what three decades. Refers to his friendship with Epstein as quote unquote profound, calls him family in the emails that were released recently. Melanie Stansbury, Democrat from New Mexico, has said, we have email documentation that in twenty ten Staley was requesting and interacting with Jeffrey Epstein to procure women that he had sexual encounters with. And when he was asked in the committee hearing that they had at the time what happened and to describe those encounters, he could not recall. So Staley is, like I said, all over the Epstein files. Some of these other guys are all over the Epstein files. Remember JP Morgan did settle what three hundred million dollars, some three hundred million dollars back in twenty twenty three with Epstein's victims. But that two hundred million dollar lawsuit. Interestingly enough, isn't that the number. That's the number of that's the Deutsche Bank in Jason Leopold's report based on the Widen report, that's just the suspicious transactions that Deutsche failed to promptly report to US authoria. It's just a cool quarter of a billion dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's nothing in.
Speaker 3: That world, Crystal. It's nothing to worry about it at all. A quarter of a billion dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we've also we've got not only got a high finance story here, we've also got a media story. We can put this next piece up on the screen. So Widen apparently was interviewed about this whole investigation back in March by then sixty minutes correspondent Sharon Alfonsi for a segment the news program was reporting about Wall Street Banks and the US Virgin Islands government's relationship with Epstein. Two months later, CBS News fired Alphonsi after she publicly criticized their leadership and Barry Weiss's editorial decisions involving a different segment, she reported neither the Widen interview nor that broader Epstein's story has aired. Spokesperson for CBS News confirmed that Alfonsi had interviewed Widen for potential segment in March, but said the story did not come together for airing during the Sixty Minute season that concluded in May. This bookesperson would not comment on any plans for the program's next season. So, just to put that all together for you, sixty Minutes had recorded an interview with Widen on exactly these financial potential crimes and certainly cover up of the Epstein relationship and suspicious transactions. Not only did they spike the segment, but they fired the correspondent who conducted the interview. So pretty extraordinary revelations here about what is going on behind the scenes at CBS News. Because, you know, if you're interested in doing real journalism, if you're interested and also a topic that the public has great interest in, this seems like a prime opportunity for you to dig in and you know, show what was going on here. But they decided that this was not worth their time.
Speaker 5: Interesting, Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean I went and checked the archives on CBS News, not sixty minutes yesterday, because minunderstanding is that sixty and it's kind of operates as its own premiere product within CBS News, and CBS does have one of the best reporters on Epstein, Beat Rutnik, who published that great report. This was before Barry Wise took over the network analyzing the security footage from the cell, and he's continued to do excellent, I think, really challenging reporting on Epstein. But this is a sign, obviously now that sixty minutes is a place to be watched. I did go back and look at the sixty minutes archives recently, not a ton of Epstein coverage. Obviously there once a week, but just in the last year or so, they haven't done a ton over at sixty minutes on Epstein. But CBS at least does have a reporter that seems to still be on the beat a lot to be doing what they're doing, Crystal. It's a sign, though, to keep an eye on what's happening, no question about that, because there are a lot of people who have convinced themselves that can get away with. I mean it was ABC News, right, it was Amy Robock at ABC News, who I think was James O'Keefe got video of her saying that the network squashed her Epstein reporting, and I think she said I had it. She was like, I had all of this years before some of it blew up into public media. So it's it's definitely not beyond these networks to come in and try to put their thumb on the scale for people in their orbit.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, they didn't want to compromise their access to the Royal family in advance of wedding or whatever was going.
Speaker 5: At the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't can't have that so sorry, sorry victims, Sorry world who doesn't want to continue to have a pedophile canbal have massive power in our system. We got to cover the Royal wedding, so that's more going to take precedence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would hardly be surprising if a network was putting its sum on the scale to downplay or suppress any of this reporting. But we'll continue, obviously to keep an eye on CBS News as we have been doing so Chris. Unfortunately, we have another abuse scandal to talk about today, in the case of Max Miller.
Speaker 2: So we have been tracking the political fallout and alleged abuse allegations against Republican Representative Max Miller, who gave a I guess fiery speech rebuttal of against these allegations on Sunday, doubling down staying in the race. Today is actually the deadline to replace him on the ballot, so it doesn't look like that's happening. The only Republican who has said that he should no longer be in Congress is his own father in law, Senator Bernie Moreno. Max Miller went on Jake Tapper Show yesterday for a combative interview. We'll show you some of those highlights, but Emily, you got a glimpse into some of the local political valance here and how Republican voters in his district in Ohio are processing these allegations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know. So, I host a show right after Megan Kelly and Serious exem every day where we just take callers who have reaction to news of the day. And a guy from Max Miller's district in Ohio said he was from the district, called in yesterday Trump voter and give us a little bit of reaction how he's personally thinking about how the community is thinking about whether or not they'll go and actually vote for Miller amidst these very very ugly allegations, and they continue to mount, by the way, just the way that his campaign and potentially his House office that's another scandal in the making, have handled these allegations. It's stacking up. So we could take a listen here. I believe his name was George in Ohio. How he described his reaction in the district yesterday on Serious XM.
Speaker 6: I calling because Max Miller is actually my congressman, and oh wow, I don't think that I can actually vote for this guy. Yeah, he's a strange dude. A lot of stuff comes out in the local media that doesn't make the national news. He's had troubles before like this, and he really hasn't been a great congressman. He's basically just been a rubber stamp for whatever Trump wants. I mean, I've been a Trump voter, but I'm not too enamored with him at this point. But I hope the Republican Party finds someone new within a day to put up because I don't think this guy will win. His opponent is pretty strong. I don't know exactly that I would vote for his opponent either. I mean, just sit this race out home, because Ohio's in deep trouble with the Republican Party here. But that was my point. I don't think I can vote for this Max Miller guy.
Speaker 2: Pretty interesting and you know, as comments not only about Max Miller, like listen, even before this, we had some issues with this duties just not doing a great job, but also saying that the Ohio, Ohio as a whole, is having some issues with Republican leadership and you know, him being a Trump voter and being dissatisfied with that. And I do think Ohio is one of the states Iowa is really been screwed by the Trump agenda, but I do think Ohio is a state that has really suffered from some of the choices that Trump has made, both economically and obviously in terms of the war, etc.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had another woman from Ohio calling a couple of weeks ago and say she thinks Republicans are cooked in Ohio, that it's actually looking like Cherry Brown is going to win, and that Ohio is going to go Democrat in the fall because of the economy and the Iran war in particular. So there's something happening on the ground, there's no question about it. And Max Miller is right now. Apparently even the president according to an Axios report that leaked somehow, maybe this is Trump World trying to undermine Max Miller without publicly saying he should step down. Trump doesn't want to do that if you're a loyal Trump guy like Max Miller is, which the caller also mentioned by the way, a Trump voter's saying he's been a rubber stamp for Trump and not pushed back enough. Kind of interesting. But on a call, Trump told Miller that quote, things aren't looking good and said his reelection would be tough. According to three sources on this story, in access from Alex Eisenstatt and Mark Capudo about a conversation Trump had with Max Miller on Monday night, and Christal, we have video of Max Miller going on CNN to defend himself in front of Jake Tapper just yesterday. He's tripling down on all of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite defiant and just as a reminder here to set up this exchange. You know, the most of many of the allegations have come from his ex wife, including she claims that he threw scalding water at her, that he held a gun to her head, that there was other physical violence and threats. She suspects that he may have broken their young daughter's collarbone. So really very serious allegations here. But there are two other women who've also alleged that he abused them. One is Stephanie Grisham, who was in the first Trump White House, who said, you know, she was constantly afraid of him, that he threw her up against the wall and slapped her when she suspected him of cheating on her. And then there was a girl at the time in high school who alleges that he threw her down the stairs and what she described as being one of the darkest days of her life. So, in any case, Tapper confronts Max Miller with these allegations, effectively saying, don't you realize how hard it is for us to accept all of your dismissals when you have three separate women who are telling very similar stories about your behavior towards them. Let's go ahead and take a listen to how he handled that exchange.
Speaker 7: There are now three women, three women who have accused you of violent behavior. Politico published a report in twenty twenty one that says, when you were in high school, you quote pushed a girl out of the dorm of his room and she fell down some stairs after he became enraged when she resisted his attempts to touch her, according to three people who were there and many more who heard about the incident in the aftermath. Now you deny that, but the woman in question told Mother Jones reporter Abby Vasulis just days ago that it had happened and was quote one of the more traumatic nights of her life.
Speaker 4: Now that I'd love the whole on individual to go on the record, because I.
Speaker 7: Hold on because I'm not done with the list of women that have accused you of violence. Then there is former White House Press secretary Okay, you were young. Then there's a former White House Press Secretary, Stephanie Grisham, who was your ex girlfriend. She accused you of being abusive and having a violent streak. She wrote in her book, quote, I could do nothing right by him. I would wake up every morning shake it with shaking with anxiety about his mood that day. I had seen his temper before and it had scared me.
Speaker 4: Unquote.
Speaker 7: She has recently filed a temporary restraining order against you in a defamation case. And now there are these claims from your ex wife, Emily Marino, And I guess the question is, are all three of these women who don't know each other, are all three of them lying?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: It's very easy. And I can tell you why. Every single time and people have asked me, you know, what are you going to do? Are you gonna drop out of this race? Are you going to resign? You know, are you going to get out before the deadline? And my answer to you, Jake, is no. And I can tell you why. Twenty sixteen, when President Donald J. Trump faced the most extreme allegations in the world that hit him day after day after day, and people in the media have very much like yourself and others said that he would have no shot at winning, that he should not be the president of the United States. But guess what he stayed in and he was resilient. And what the American people can see is that they can see that somebody is fighting who is resilient, and that is a quality that the American people cherish. And so for no second am I going to sit here and continue to be debased by false and baseless allegations and be pushed out of his seat. I have worked so hard to represent and done a terrific job for our community. You know my record in Congress on the ways and means and Hou's foreign affairs and bringing back money for our district and standing up for the Ukrainian people and also voting to protect Obamacare during this entire time. This is why no one's attacking me on my policy, Jake, because they can't.
Speaker 4: I've been a good legislator.
Speaker 8: All they're trying to do is create rumor mills without evidence.
Speaker 4: It's all hearsay, do you all hear say?
Speaker 2: Kind of interesting the issues he chooses to highlight there, which are all sort of like democratic coded issues. Standing up for the people of Ukraine and protecting Obamacare gives you a sense of the kind of populist area in Ohio that he represents. But Emily, what did you make of his appeal there too? I'm like Trump. You know, Trump had all these allegations against him, and what people love about him is that he stood strong and this is the quality that the American people admire. Because it seems to me that that is very much pitched at Trump himself.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say, yeah, my reaction is that is directly to the audience of one Donald J. Trump. He obviously was coming off of a conversation he had with Trump over the phone the night before, at least according to Axios, and Trump was telling him it's gonna be tough. So now you have Max Miller making a pitch that sounds just directly tailored to the one person, Donald Trump, but the actually tying this back to that call. What's interesting is, I'm not sure that's really enough to have just the Trump stamp of approval. I'm not sure that's really enough right now for Max Miller. I don't know that that can carry you anymore where you have a weak economy, a war that continues to rage on Trump is not on the ballot itself, So I don't actually even know that maintaining Trump's support, I mean, obviously that allows him to maintain the support of kind of the official party apparatus for now, because Trump is the leader of the Republican Party, so it all comes downstream of that. But I just I'm not sure that it's as big as a dub as he thinks it is. And Crystal just in the kind of subjective sense, he's being accused of emotional instability, like at the very very least, we have tapes that are coming out and all of that sort, like you can kind of hear it. And obviously his family situation is deeply unstable. He sounds emotionally unstable in his own defense of himself. Yeah, it plays into exactly what the big picture accusation is that he's not well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he gets caught in some kind of some lies like, for example, he had said in that long video, you know, my ex wife is the only one who's made any of these allegations, Like, well, that's not true. It's just not true at all, because he wants to be able to just attack her and say, well, she's the one who is diagnosed with mental health issues and so it's very sad, but she's got all these problems, and that's what's going on. It's very much more difficult to dismiss three separate women who have all come out and said very similar things. There's also this dynamic playing out with his father in law. So his ex wife is Emily Morino, her dad is Bernie Marino, who is a Republican senator from Ohio, who waited a very long time before he came out and said anything, and who don't know what's going on behind the scenes. But Miller sort of obliquely threatens Moreno with a revelation of some embarrassing matter in this interview with Tapper, and he had made some similar threats previously, some sort of like blackmail esque threats against Moreno previously. This could be the reason why he waited so long to come out against Max Miller in spite of the horrifying abuse allegations involving Miller against his daughter. So let's go ahead and take a listen to this part of the exchange with Tapper.
Speaker 7: With your former father in law story today about your daughter and the little blue Bonnie doll that she cannot sleep without. If it's true, that sounds like emotionally abusive behavior toward a toddler to refuse to give it to her when she can't sleep without it.
Speaker 8: Jake, I would agree that if that were true, that would be incredibly disturbing.
Speaker 4: That the Senator would be right.
Speaker 8: However, he has taken two years to publicly acknowledge for me to resign from my seat. Why is that, Jake, if he truly believed, like I'm a father to a two and a half year old daughter, I believe that you're also a father to children. And I don't know if you're actually a father to a daughter. But what I can tell you is, well, Jake, then what I can tell you is is that if my daughter came to me and she said my ex husband did X, Y and Z, and then I waited because I was nervous that a political live stream was going to expose a deeply impersonal, embarrassing matter to the senator for him to take that action.
Speaker 4: Sadly, this has nothing.
Speaker 8: To do with my daughter, Jake, And that's what this entire thing is about. This is nothing more than an individual who's being politically vindictive and talking about a blue bunny. When I have text messages I can show you from our parent coordinator, who is a mandatory court reporter, who said that mister Moreno would be coming over my home. And then another individual came who I don't know.
Speaker 2: So one of the we mentioned this before, but one of the theories here is there had been a report in the during Moreno's campaign that his work email had been used to set up a profile on a gay dating site. Stafford came out and said, oh, that was me. I was just playing a joke. But Emily, this is kind of the theory of what Miller may have on Moreno and why Moreno did not come forward before at this moment.
Speaker 3: Right and why Max Miller seems to think he can survive going forward now it's like he's holding this potentially is some sort of last minute, last ditch shield that he'll be able to whip out and stay in the race. Obviously, today is the deadline. It looks like Republicans have no plans. Looks like Max Miller is going to remain on the ballot.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 3: I guess it's possible that they could finally push him to drop out and organize some sort of write in campaign before the fall, but right now it just doesn't look like there's any sign of that whatsoever. We can go now to E two. I'm going to set this clip up. This is Bernie Moreno yesterday in the hallway on Capitol Hill getting asked some questions about it. Take a listen.
Speaker 10: What did you think of Miller telling Trump he could still win the election. Look, I don't care about the politics of this. I hope that you guys understand. Maybe I hope you never have to understand what my daughter's been through, what my daughter is going through, what my wife is going through, two other my two boys and my other daughter are going through. This is truly the seventh level of hell. This has been a horrific experience for my entire family. My daughter specifically did not want this to be out in the public. That's why she asked me to say, lower the temperature.
Speaker 3: And believe it or not, it actually gets even uglier. We can put E three on the screen now. This is a letter that Annie Karney The New York Times reported to Bernie. I'm sorry to Max Miller's lawyer from Emily Marino's legal team that said, yesterday you enabled your client, Congressman Max Miller, to share and disseminate to the public and electronic dropbox folder of materials. This was in conjunction with the video rant about our client Emily Marino that Miller posted on x the first time Miller shared the folder. It contained private images of Miller and miss Marino's daughter and left her name unredacted. At least one of those images could be considered child sexual abuse material. Because the daughter's genitals appear to be visible. It garnered, according to this letter, over two hundred and four thousand views from the time it was posted until this afternoon, So also Crystal Max Miller's legal defense. The dropbox folder I think it was was also uploaded with metadata that showed it was from his congressional office, which he blamed this attorney on. That would obviously be in violation of House rules about campaign purposes, blaming the attorney for that. The attorneys of the metadata had been changed. But oh my goodness, it does get worse. Believe it or not, it does get worse. We have not yet reached rock bottom. Although if this isn't it potentially sharing sexual abuse material of your own daughter that two hundred thousand people see, you can never erase that from the Internet. I don't know what could possibly be even lower than this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Miller's lawyer came out and took the blame for this, said, this was all my fault, MAXI. Millar had nothing to do with it. I deeply regret it, et cetera. But you know, again to your point about what is the character of this man at the end of the day, certainly this material came from him. How do you even you know, how do you put out all of these intimate conversations, which again he was secretly recording, which is kind of psychotic behavior, and though it was technically apparently legal in the state of Ohio, Like, if you're secretly recording your loved ones, I think that also speaks to a certain behavior and state of mind here as well. But you know, it's it speaks to a recklessness, at the very least, a lack of regard, a recklessness when it comes to his family, his own daughter. And you know, you and I were talking yesterday, you were like, why does anyone even want a congressional seat this much?
Speaker 5: But you got to think about it.
Speaker 2: For him, his whole his whole career is because of this political trajectory. You know, he ends up as an intern on Rubio's campaign, and then once Rubio's down it and he jumps over to Trump, he ends up as part of the the you know, head of the part of the Trump's advanced team, ends up as an aid. Like everything he has is because of Trump and the MAGA movement. So if he drops down in this race, what's.
Speaker 5: He gonna do.
Speaker 2: Who's gonna hire me outside of these abuse allegations. He's got you know, some charges on his record too. His rap sheet is not clean in terms of past interactions with law enforcement, again, including alleged violent behavior, et cetera. Uh, driving under the influence. That was another piece that came up in the Tapper interview. That was, you know, he didn't exactly handle terribly well with regard to allegations of use of illegal drugs. So, you know, I think for him, it's kind of he feels like he's got no other choice. So even though you are likely doing Republicans in this seat, He's going to go for it in the off chance that he can hold on, because what else are you going to do with his life?
Speaker 3: You know, whatever the truth is, he decided to put his family through this by releasing the drop box. I get that he was you know, say, let's even grant him. Let's say he was potentially being falsely accused to put the dropbacks out there with images of your child, to just drag your child through the mud one day in a way they're actually going to be able to see when they're old enough. It is so so disgusting. It's I mean, I hope that there's a swift conclusion to this and he drops out. But it's not looking like that's going to be the case at all, Crystal.
Speaker 2: No, today's the last day. John Thune got asked about it. He said, it's a family matter. Don't have any observations beyond that. I saw Mike Johnson got asked by a congressional reporter this morning. He's standing by him. Yeah, Jim Jordan's colleague, saying he's a great guy. You know, Trump could have pulled the plug on him, but instead he just decided to have this behind the scenes conversation which was apparently not persuasive.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Republicans publicly outside of Bernie Morino, Republicans standing by their man.
Speaker 3: Gross after well we covered this last week, but gross after exactly what just went down with Graham Plattner and how eager Republicans were to revel in the Platiner dem problems. You know, Casey Hunt nailed Jim Jordan on that one. It was pretty impossible for him to squirm out of it. It's you're right, Trump could endless in a second, but choosing not to.
Speaker 5: Yep, there you go.
Speaker 3: More drama though, at sixteen hundred Pennsylvania Avenue. Let's go to our next segment on Trump's really brutal infighting with Janine Piro. Trump is in a major fight with his own US Attorney for the District of Columbia, one Jeanine Piro, a longtime friend and allies of Donald Trump, by the way, one of the most vocal defenders of Donald Trump for the last decade on Fox News, one of the most vocal defenders of him in the media, and obviously, of course, now his US attorney for the District of Columbia in a pretty high profile position, powerful position as he makes cleaning up DC a centerpiece of his second administration, or at least his efforts to clean up DC a second a centerpiece of his administration. Now, before they had a meeting, Donald Trump had some harsh words for Janine Piro, who dropped charges against someone alleged to have damage the liner of the reflecting pool here in Washington, d C. At President is obviously furious with Janine Pierro about that. Let's take a listen to him in the Oval office. I think this was Monday f one.
Speaker 9: I won't say what was on the sidewalk but hor horrible, horrible, disgusting set. And not only did we fix it, we have military standing there watching it, and if any he touches it, we That was the one mistake with the reflecting plant. They hadn't put up the cameras yet.
Speaker 11: They had enough up because you see what's happening.
Speaker 9: But if they would have had them up, we would have had a lot of it would have been a lot easier.
Speaker 11: And I was disappointed with Janney Biro, really disappointed with janneied Pierrot. She folded like an umbrella, and people get away with things and it's a disgrace.
Speaker 3: Okay, really disappointed. Now if we tossed them folded like an umbrella, Yeah, full of like an umbrella. That's the quote. Now she choked, I think is the other thing that he said. Now we can put this in pr tear shoot up on the screen they're reporting. The federal government dropped charges against three individuals in connection with damage to the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool for their wakening. Trump's argument was the work of vandals, but her prosecutors moved to drop the vandalism case against former Olympic canoist David Hearn on Friday, abruptly changing course after arguing four months that he had taken a piece of the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pools new fourteen million dollars a line. A judge could rule on that motion at a hearing schedule for Thursday. According to Hearn's lawyers, the US Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia, Piro's office wrote, given newly released evidence from the Department of the Interior, quote is difficult to attribute the widespread damage to the reflecting pool to vandalism, let alone to establish that fact beyond a reasonable doubt. Piro's office is blaming a quote unquote botched installation by President Trump's hand picked contractor. So Doug Burgham and Donald Trump are absolutely insistent that this was vandalism first and foremost. The problem with the reflecting pool is vandalism. Piro's office, who actually had to make this stick in a court of law, is saying we can't prove that, certainly can't prove that beyond a reasonable doubt, dropping the charges. Trump is clearly very upset about that. Now, if we put the CNN tear sheet up on the screen, CNN is reporting that she did not offer her resignation in a meeting they had at the White House at if this was yesterday, and then Trump also declined to outright fire her, so this was this was actually Monday. They're reporting that he had been considering removing her after the Justice Apartment concluded that the problems with the pool stemmed from a flawed renovation rather than vandalism. That's according to two people familiar with his thinking. Also, according to the SoundBite you all just heard of him openly laying into one of his closest, longtime allies in the Oval office, saying she folded like an umbrella. Shortly after actually that sound bite, Trump met at the White House with both Pierro and Doug Burgham, according to the CNN report, and they had a kind of a it came to a head, let's just put it that way, a blow up over what the actual truth was. And Trump is saying that the filing quote blindsided him. He didn't know beforehand that Piro was going to drop those charges and was very upset about that. But Crystal, uh, he is obsessed with a reflecting pull to the point where one of his longest allies, one of his most intense allies, the last decade, he's furious with her, and Jeanine Pierro is loyal to Trump beyond almost anything else. She's loyal to Trump. They have been pleased with her except for maybe the sandwich case, the subway sandwich case. They've been pleased with her here in DC. But man, she couldn't make the chargestick and that's not good enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if like, Janine Pierro is probably the closest thing that you're going to get to like a female Trump.
Speaker 5: I met her before, I've been on her show.
Speaker 2: Like the vibes are very sim of both these like brass New Yorkers. I mean, one major difference is Trump is a teetotally. He doesn't drink at all, and that's definitely not the case.
Speaker 5: For Jeanine Pierro.
Speaker 2: But they have a lot of very similar personality traits and she has been completely loyal to him. And she also, you know, she's another way and doesn't she doesn't have all that much of like a rock solid ideology, so it makes it easier for her to just go in whatever direction he wants to go in at the time. You also could be forgiven for her thinking that it'd be no big deal if after pressing these charges she then turned around and dropped it, because that has been the story of this Trump administry.
Speaker 5: She brought up the subway sandwich case.
Speaker 2: Just as a reminder for people, as a guy who threw his sub at what it was like an ICE agent and they said, he's, you know, felony assault charges that ends up. I actually think a grand jury wouldn't indict him, is what happened there. New York Times had a whole analysis of all of the charges that have been filed against people who are alleged to have assaulted ICE agents or other immigration officers. Out of the five hundred plus instances of charges, only four have been found guilty. In most instances the charge. In many instances, the charges are just completely dropped because when they dig into the substance, they realize, I can't make this case in a court of law. It is one thing to tweet something out and have a press conference. It is another thing to actually establish a fact pattern that is going to lead to a guilty verdict or at least a plea deal. And so clearly she looked at this, It's like, Okay, this the truth of the matter is, this is ridiculous. We're not going to be able to make the stick. Let's just quietly walk away from it. But Trump wants her to invent a totally different reality, which is not something she's capable of. So it's very easy for Doug Bergham, who doesn't have to go and present a case in court, to say, oh, yes, sir, of course it was vandals. It wasn't the fact that it was rushed and the whole thing was botched and you gave it to a contractor who's a buddy of yours through some corrupt deal. It was definitely these left wing radical vandals that caused the problem. It's just such a perfect story of the Trump administration. It really has all of the levels here because to your point, Emily about the like, is even the most loyal person if you aren't able to, you know, invent a reality, do something that's completely insane, sacrifice yourself on the altar of trump Ism, like, eventually it comes a point where you just can't give him what he wants because reality is in conflict with it.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and on a serious note, there's been a lot of speculation that one of the reasons Trump launched the Iran War. One of the many reasons, but one of them is that when you get frustrated on a domestic policy front, just psychologically as a leader and politically as a leader, it becomes tempting to sort of lean into the things that you have almost total control of, rightfully or wrongfully, meaning foreign policy in particular. And that sounds like maybe an odd connection, but it's just to say that he's really clearly very frustrated on the domestic front, and he feels like he can exercise almost total control here in Washington, d C. Still moving ahead with the arch plans, moving ahead with basically everything that he wants to do at the White House, if you've seen pictures of the helipad that's in progress right now, changing what the south lawn looks like. And even here in DC, if he's not able to kind of exert his will, you see his frustrations bubble up with somebody who's been a longtime friend and ally, to the point where he considers firing his pick for US Attorney for the District of Columbia, Jeanine Pirou, and lashing out really brutally from the Oval Office. So it is all to say that you do since with him, genuine frustration, not this kind of nonsense palace intrigue that we used to get during the first Trump administration about oh, how he's frustrated with this person and this person, and it was a new person every day, and it was a fresh cycle every day. But now I think there's palpably a deep and obvious frustration he has with what even his loyalists, not being able to kind of exert his own will when he thinks it's most possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's to tell if you want to get at him, like this is something he actually cares about, as stupid as it is, which is why he made a big deal out of it to begin with, and talking about the ballroom all the time, like these are the things that he actually cares about. So, you know, one of the right wing pushbacks on the reflecting pool coverage, which you know in general would be fair, is like, well, why do we care about this? There's so many more important things, true, But Trump is the one who did a whole thing about the reflecting pool and like drove his convoy through it, and you had all these right wing influencers going and talk ya, Oh my god, it's so amazing, it's so beautiful, the new paint job, et cetera, et cetera. So then when it doesn't go well, you don't get to turn around and be like, why are you guys even talking about this? It's you know, it shows you this is a path to get under his skin, which many people in the country would like to do. There was one more element that you added to this, Emily, that is kind of shocking to me actually, was put this last piece up on the screen from the BBC.
Speaker 5: Apparently the UFC.
Speaker 2: Lost like thirty million dollars on their White House Lawn cage match situation, the Freedom two fifty event at the White House. It says they lost thirty million staging this. Despite the one off events losses which UFC expected, they still saw an increase of revenue for the second quarter and estimated forty three hundred people, including President Trump and Vice President Jamie Vance, were present for the invite only event on the South Lawn. Tickets were not sold to the general public, and initial costs were predicted to be more than sixty million. However, they were able to recoup some of that money through sponsorships, media exposure, and other partnerships. So I guess they saw this as kind of number one a loss leader, in that they could attract attention and bring more people into the brand overall through how highly publicized this was. But more importantly, Dana and White and Trump were obviously longtime friends pre dating Trump's latest political era. And it's good for any company in America to be on the on the good side of the king. So when they think that will inor to their benefit, and so that's part of the calculus here too.
Speaker 3: They say their revenue is up for the second quarter despite that thirty million dollar loss at the UFC White House event, So I guess maybe branding and exposure did its its job in that case. But the entire thing, I mean never worth leaving out was World Liberty Financial was one of the sponsors, which is Trump's son's company, which has benefited Trump himself. So it turned into a massive grift, not particularly surprising, but worth mentioning on that front. By the way, I should mention about the reflecting pool. I think on a Friday show I was bullish about the reflecting pool. Really, Oh, I'm more than happy to take an l on it, but it is true that there's a better way to do the reflecting pool, and that it was so bad and gross. Now it's even worse and more gross, and it's fenced off.
Speaker 5: So you were Emily was reflecting pool curious. It was.
Speaker 2: She was open minded, and yet Trump has devastated her and just deeply disappointed her with this shoddy, corrupt job that was done here.
Speaker 3: I am, like Janine Piro, forced to admit that Emperor Trump could not repair the reflecting pool. But yeah, I was cautiously optimistic that they might be able to do something slightly better, and in fact, it seems like it got significantly worse. Union Stasia looks great ish. It's not as good as they say it is, but it's better. Said. It shouldn't be that hard though, to be honest, it really shouldn't be that hard when you're Trump and you're just like bulldozing shit.
Speaker 2: So I mean, if he was going to be able to do anything, well, you would think it would be renovation.
Speaker 3: That's yes, yep, that's right, and here we are. So I'm happy to take an l on it. But we will continue to monitor the reflecting pool situation. I have no fear. We will be watching and reporting back to on the progress or lack thereof.
Speaker 2: Indeed, all right, we'll be Ryan and Sager tomorrow. I've done, I've done enough for now.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe.
Speaker 2: More caffeine. I'm not a late night person. It's really brutal for me. I know everybody feels very sorry for me. Detroit, and you need to get your act together with this vote counting situation.
Speaker 5: That was ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But anyway, you'll have a bro show to look forward to, and then we got a great Friday show. I'm sure we'll have some fun things cooked up for then. So Emily and I will see you guys. Then, everybody, have a great day.