Speaker 1: Welcome to Money and Wealth with John O'Bryant, a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network and iHeartRadio. Hey, Hey, hey, everybody is John Hope Bryant And this is Money and Wealth from the Black Effect Network on iHeartRadio, part of my season three of the Money in Wealth podcast series. And this is a very important and powerful.
Speaker 2: Episode because it gets you behind the curtain.
Speaker 1: All too often we see the hype, we see the press releases, we see some leader whoever it is you admire, going to red carpet events, going on a plane in front of a plane, and some people are flacid. I don't do that, Try not to do that, showing off their bobbles. I try to do that either or just in meetings or or celebrating. But you very rarely see what has to happen behind the scene for sustainable success, which is excellence in execution, excellence in operations, an excellence in financial management.
Speaker 2: And so who is the man or woman.
Speaker 1: In this particular case, a man, sometimes it's a woman, by the way, behind the mission who's running in my case, a seventy five million dollar social impact enterprise or budgets go vaslates between seventy five million and fifty million. I don't know what's going on in the society and the economy. Four and a half billion dollars invested. This is just Operation Helped. Brian Group Ventures is my holding company and is a for profit leg and is a nonprofit leg. Most people know of my nonprofit work, by the way, the firewall between those two entities, and we'll talk about that maybe a little bit in this conversation. I literally have different team members for different operations because it's too legal bodies. The one who runs the biggest body, the one has grown the most over thirty years because I spend the most time there is Operation Hope. And the guy behind that is Brian Betts. I just recently published He's my president and chief financial officer. Recently published a piece on Brian Journal at Brian Green Venture's website. On our twelfth consecutive four star Charity Navigator rating, it's like getting up. It's like having a triple bond a rating, triple bond rating on a firm on Wall Street. It's the best rating you can get as a nonprofit. The guy behind that, who makes that magic happen is the guy that you're seeing on the screen right now you're about to hear from If you're in your car, you're gardening, you're walking, you're whatever you're doing, you need to stop and take notes or come back with a piece of pad or your iPad, your iPhone and grab a notepad with some friends, because you're about to be schooled on what's behind the curtain of a vision made real.
Speaker 2: Brian DA's welcome to the Money in the World podcast.
Speaker 3: That Deer. I'm excited to be here for that.
Speaker 2: I love me some Brian Betts. He's a good man.
Speaker 1: President and chief financial officer of about sixty percent of everything I do, which is Operation Hope. Brian, that's a pretty weird title. President and chief financial officer. I haven't seen that many times. I don't know if I've ever seen it at all. But before we get into that combination and why that works for us and what does that mean. By the way, can you back up and tell the audience a little bit about what as you did before you got to Operation Hope and what we just found out just a few minutes ago, even though we you know, I've known each other for a long time, we just found out a moment ago about the common thread between your professional life and my personal life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, you know, I started off in public accounting after I graduated with college, did the role at a large top six CPA firm, international CPA firm for a couple of years. That's usually what an accounting person aspires to is go out and get that big public experience. And then went to work for Corporate America for almost fifteen years and various different roles in accounting and finance and strategic planning in different organizations. And you know we've shared before that that just didn't fulfill me. You know, how can I take my skills and my talent and really get that other piece I was missing, a self sense of fulfillment. And then that's where I fell in love with nonprofits. Everybody's focused, everybody's here to make a difference in the world, and the people, the culture, and the satisfaction you get from working for a nonprofit I couldn't get anywhere else. And that is where I found my sweet spot. I always liked to joke I found my people. I finally found my people. I got into the nonprofit industry, But before I came to Operation Hope, I worked with a nonprofit that really focused on the problem of homelessness, and you and I were just briefly talking, but you know, the face of homelessness is usually most people think of the person on the street, under the bridges, under the overpasses.
Speaker 3: But that's just the chronic homelessness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, small percentage of the people that are actually homeless. There are so many more people that are living with friends, families, and weekly hotels, couch surfing. There are so many more people that are unhoused. Then you can you can realize imagine that that problem just compounds itself. So after spending seven years and working in that industry, which I loved, helping the people, what I saw was how many people are on the verge of entering into a downward cycle of homelessness. So I always like to give the example. You have a single mother working a job. She gets a flat tire, she can't go to work, she can't afford.
Speaker 3: To pay for the tire. She loses her job.
Speaker 4: Two weeks later, three weeks later, she can't pay her bills. Eventually she's going to get an eviction notice. Eventually she's going to lose housing. Maybe she can stay with family and friends. But once you get that eviction on your record, it's going to be a higher security deposit. If you can find somebody that's going to rent to you, then they may have a higher rent. It may not be in the location you want. There's just so many more challenges by having that eviction on your record that you start this downward spiral gets so expensive, so difficult financially to get out of.
Speaker 3: But then we're not.
Speaker 4: Even talking about the spiritual emotional impact to that individual that the family uned it, that they experienced once they start that cycle. So we were talking before that. You were sharing that you were homeless at one point, and that's the common thread we were talking about. And I didn't I knew you were homeless, and I knew I worked in homelessness, but I don't think we ever put the two pieces together.
Speaker 1: Yep, and what And luckily I got out and you transitioned to uh to my forever story. Why president and chief financial officer here at Operation and Hope and why does that work? And what for the audience's sake? Right up front, what is a chief financial officer? They call it CFO in Lingo, What does that mean? And how is that different from your role as president? So First of all, why president chief financial officer?
Speaker 4: Okay, So you know, as a financial literacy organization, we have to set the example of living a very financially sound business model. So if that is our main mission driver and representing and actually doing what we preach, making the CFO of the president makes.
Speaker 3: Sense in this organization. You know, marry the two together.
Speaker 4: That is one of the most critical things you can do for a nonprofit. There's so many nonprofits doing fantastic work. Where they struggle is on the business side of making sure they don't overextend themselves. There's always going to be more need than you could ever address, So you have to treat it like a business. You know, nonprofits there are still a business and you have to run it like a business if you want to continue to help people on a long term basis. Otherwise you're going to find yourself in like most like startups that struggle. If you don't have a sound financial model, then you're not going to have a strong business model.
Speaker 1: So he just says something really important. I want to slow it down and repeat it that a nonprofit is still a business and you've got to run it like a business. I'm gonna go one step further, a nonprofit is a corporation like any other corporation.
Speaker 2: You simply apply to the.
Speaker 1: IRS the Internal Revenue Service for a non profit exemption. There are different kinds of exemptions. One for foundations, one for academic institutions. There's a special exemption for churches. We have a five to one C three exemption.
Speaker 2: Right. That's a that's that is a.
Speaker 1: Programs and services based nonprofit versus a giving money nonprofit like a foundation, but it's still a corporation and versus the profits going to the share private investors and going in their pockets. Our profits go to our shareholders, which is the community. The community is our shareholder and goes and is reinvested through programs and services in the community. A little known fact, whereas a for profit company wants to retained as much earnings as possible and distributed to its for profit shareholders, a nonprofit is judged by how much of the money goes to programs and services versus going to operations or held back and retained, which one could argue as operations.
Speaker 2: So we have a very high program to.
Speaker 1: Expense ratio and administration expense ratio, which is also complements of Brian Bett's leadership of about eighty eight percent or so, So eighty eight eighty seven percent of all of every dollar that comes in goes right out to programs and services helping people, and the rest of it is for useless things like me. We then also have reserves and we've started in an endowment and things like that. Maybe we'll have time to get into that. But he's the first thing he's said is that you as a nonprofit in financial literacy, we thought we had to over index on proper management.
Speaker 2: So the president in this.
Speaker 1: Case should also be really in all fairness and really unfairness to Brian, who really has three roads.
Speaker 2: President.
Speaker 1: I didn't give him the third title. I want to break him out. You know, President, he's really chief operating officer and chief financial officer. You really cannot be chief financial officer and president without actually also managing the operations because they all sort of elegantly work together. I'm founder, chairman of the board the governance organization, right and chief executive officer, which leads the management team. Those are three different roles, two different functions. Founder is not really a role. It's a role, but not a function. Chairman of the board is a function, but it is separate in a part from management. Right, the board should not be managing the organization, and then management is what we're talking about. I'm chief in this particular role, in this particular conversation, I'm chief executive officer. Brian is number two as president and chief financial officer. Okay, Brian, what does chief financial officer mean? And who's on your team?
Speaker 4: So if we break out my role into two different areas, we'll just focus on the chief financial officer. So, as chief financial officer, you really have two different functions you're managing.
Speaker 3: One is your traditional accounting function.
Speaker 4: How do we capture activity, translate that into financial statements and provide those for public viewing or to banks for if you have a loan or to the SBA. Everybody's going to want to see your financial statements. So how do we record our activity in accordance with all the standards and regulations and issue financial statements on a regular basis. That is one piece, But when you throw in the CFO, there's another piece that you've got to think about, and that's the finance function. And the finance function is really looking ahead to make sure you're not going to run off the road, whereas accounting is traditionally looking back at a period of time. So with the cfo's role, he is to marry both looking back at history, making sure you're understanding how you got to where you are today, but you cannot neglect looking forward of where you think you're doing. And traditionally that is really in a world of what we call forecasting or projecting. Where are we projecting growth? Where are we projecting expenses to grow? How can we become more efficient? And you really have to partner with every function in the organization to understand what does the organization need to continue to grow, scale and thrive. You've got to be partners with them. You've got to listen to what they need. You can't be the role that always says no. You have to be the voice that says, why, let me understand and let me prioritize all the organization's needs in terms of importance. Because with any company, there's always limited funds and you want to invest in everything, but that's not.
Speaker 3: Always possible, So you have to.
Speaker 4: Prioritize your investments in yourself and in the business.
Speaker 1: As CFO, who's on your team and what are their roles.
Speaker 3: You're talking about just the CFO.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, So I have a senior vice president of accounting and finance that manages a team of about six people.
Speaker 3: We have a staff accountant.
Speaker 4: We have an accounts payable person, think of accounts payables. All the bills that come in have to be entered. We have to vet the venitors. We have to check their IRS, their tax ivs with the IRS to make sure we're not paying someone fraudulently.
Speaker 3: We've also got an accounting manager.
Speaker 4: That does a lot of the clothes for the monthly financial statements.
Speaker 3: We also have a grants manager.
Speaker 4: If you're getting money from a federal government, state government, local government, you really should invest in a specific role that really does grant reporting. People that are investing money back into your organization to deliver on outcomes and impacts, they're going to want to see that you spent the money as well as provided the outcomes and impacts according to what.
Speaker 2: You said you to do.
Speaker 4: So we also have payroll. You know, everybody loves to get paid. We've got to make sure everybody gets paid. But what you don't see behind the scenes, especially with Operation Hope, is we're in forty two states. That means forty two states. We have to file payroll taxes. We also have to file in some jurisdiction local payroll taxes, and you also have.
Speaker 3: To file unemployment taxes.
Speaker 4: And you also have to make sure you're registered with the Secretary of State to do business in that state, also register to solicit donations for a charitable organization. So there's a lot more behind the scenes from the compliance standpoint that you've really got to make sure you're setting yourself up and adhering to all the regulations. There are some parishes and jurisdictions that have local payroll taxes on top of taxes, so you've got to really have a good handle on what all's required for you to physically begin a state and operate in that state. And then in the world we live in today, you've got to also understand what does it mean to provide services virtually into a state where you don't have a physical presence. Are there any other regulations that require specific compliance issues there? So we've got a team that is small but mighty, but they handle a lot of that infrastructure to keep us in line with compliance, because the last.
Speaker 3: Thing we want to do is end up on the news as.
Speaker 4: A bad nonprofit and doesn't know how to run its business and not complying with federal laws and regulations.
Speaker 1: Particularly particularly as a financial literacy nonprofit.
Speaker 4: Especially as a financial literacy nonprofit. So I think, you know, nonprofits overall get more scrutiny because you know, donors have a lot of optionality of where to invest their resources into solving so many problems that we have in the world today, and you've got to be good stewards of that funding.
Speaker 1: So let's back up a little bit. We've covered a lot of ground pretty quickly here. So you're saying that you have six team members, to be clear for the audience, we have hundreds of employees. But he's saying of those employees, six of them are just on his finance team, whereas there are another three hundred plus three fifty or something plus on his.
Speaker 2: Presidents under his president's role.
Speaker 1: So we'll come back to that, on his chief financial officer role, a team of six. Explain, Brian, please, how finance is different from.
Speaker 2: Actuary, our audit.
Speaker 1: Let's be very specific, the audit function versus the finance function.
Speaker 2: Why that's those two things are important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So with when you hear the word audit. That is usually you can do it internally. You can internally audit your transactions.
Speaker 1: Not even important. Some people are listening is going I don't need to do an audit. Who cares about that? Why is an audit? Why paying for an audit? We pay seventy thousand dollars or something less than might check me it's more than that probably now because of our size for an annual audit. Why invest seventy grand fifty grand of your small organization two grand in an audit.
Speaker 3: So there's a couple of reasons that are like mandatory.
Speaker 4: So if you get over a million dollars in funding from a federal government agency or multiple federal government agencies, you're required.
Speaker 3: By law to have that audit done.
Speaker 4: If you get financing through a bank, whether that is a turn loan, whether that's a line of credit, they're going to audited financial statements.
Speaker 3: And then, of course, like we.
Speaker 4: Were talking about earlier, our donors require a sense of validation, So an audit really is a third party coming into your organismation and validating that your financial statements reflect what you're actually publishing.
Speaker 3: So it's all about trust. Trust. The maorifi.
Speaker 4: So our audit partners look at our internal controls to make sure the process is working right, and then they'll validate the end numbers. So that requires confirmation from banks on what's sitting in the bank accounts, confirmation on your investments, looking at if you bought any land building, computer equipment, is it really on the balance sheet or should it belong on the income state. Also, they're very careful about revenue recognition. You know, when can you actually say you have revenue? Is it based off of a contract? Is it did you book it in the period that you said that the contract states, or did you book it too early or too late.
Speaker 2: Let's let's lead out. Let's let out. He's starting to talk. He's got to talk.
Speaker 1: Lingo, So audience, he revenue revenue you would described as income, right, and there's two types of income.
Speaker 2: There's cash income.
Speaker 1: I got the cash right now and I as he heard you heard the phrase I booked it booked it means he put it on the balance sheet and the income statement. Now there's another kind of income, and it's a cruel income. It's not cash right now, it's a crude income. It's revenue. But let's say, somebody commits a million dollars to your organization over five years, they paid two hundred thousand dollars today, that's cash income. They are going to give you two hundred thousand dollars a year over the next four years for a total of five years to a total million dollars. Now, all of that's income revenue, some of it is cash.
Speaker 2: Two hundred thousand. You book that as cash.
Speaker 1: It goes on your income statement in your balance sheet, really through your balance sheet. And he'll explain maybe what a balance sheet is and what does that mean. And the eight hundred thousand is a cruel income and it shows up in a couple of different places interestingly enough on you in your financials. But for the sake of this making this really simple at the moment, I gotta be careful.
Speaker 2: I say the following thing.
Speaker 1: Nonprofits are the only entity I'm aware of that have what I call legal double books. Now, if you gotta clip this, anybody listening to us on social media, if you're gonna clip this, clip the whole thing. Don't just say John Bryant says he's got double books. A nonprofit, any nonprofit, not Operation Hope, has legal double books, and meaning you have a cash register that says I got this money today or this year. You also have a cash register that says, here's my cruel income. Cruel in cash income, which is a combination of all of my commitments to the organization, which also include things like in kind commitment. And maybe he'll get to that as well. Okay, let's back up, and why don't you drill as deep as you want, Brian on anything. I just said you probably should go deeper on the cash versus a cruel piece.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's a conversation for today.
Speaker 4: But John, I would even challenge you that we've got three sets of works.
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 4: One, like you said, cash basis, so really tracking what comes in the bank account.
Speaker 3: And what goes out the bank account.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: That is your cash basis. That is how you're paying your bills and when you're getting paid. The cruele basis is what you were talking about saying, Okay, I've got a donor that's gonna give me a million.
Speaker 3: Dollars paid out in cash over five years.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: So the cash set of books is only going to get two hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: Oh I know where you're going for five years, are you going to reimbursement? Go ahead?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, I'm want to get thrown under little wrinkle. Then you've got your cruel books gap that followed generally.
Speaker 3: Accepted account ye principles, principles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that million dollars gets booked when they commit it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got a time.
Speaker 2: In book right away, right away, over time booked right away.
Speaker 4: Booked right away. There's a third set of books that we also track. We actually take that million dollars and then we'll break it out in the financials equally over five years to see if we're break even or not and making sure we're still profitable. So it's in nonprofits, it's called without donor restrictions. And the with donor restrictions is the restricted that restricts the income based on certain of time or you got to deliver a service or deliver a program, so you can restrict it over many different areas. But so I would say cash, you've got to be able to bring money in to pay your bills a cruel. That's what the banks, the financial institution restricted, yeah, are going to look at. And then you want to make sure that you know in the year you're operating, that you actually have enough revenue for twenty twenty six tied to twenty twenty six to pay the bills in twenty twenty six, even though they may have recorded. We may have recorded that revenue three years ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, and now you've seen, now you've gone on that rabbit hole. We all.
Speaker 1: We should also mention probably that you have reimbursable revenue grants, which are weird.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You've got to put the money out first to align of credit or your own resources, and then these are typically government grants, and then.
Speaker 2: They reimburse you. It's really weird. They reimburse you and it may take thirty sixty.
Speaker 1: Ninety twenty days. You got to put the money out, do the work, confirm you did the work. It's your report that you did the work, and then they reimburse you for the money you put out. And as part of that you might get an allocation for overhead expense as part of that grant. That's your call, that's your profit. You also have in kind revenue. You might as well cover what that is. Brian's out now that we're at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'll start with our model where we have the largest n kind activity that flows through our financials is that with our bank partners, a lot of them given us free office space inside of the bank. Yep, there's a retail value to that.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Operation Hope pay.
Speaker 1: We're the only non profit and history ever allowed to operate inside of a bank branch in history, by the way, in sort of an FDIC insured bank branch, which has a lot about Operation Hope, and that's through the FFIEC approval. The federal government of regula joint regulatory agencies have allowed Operation Hope to do that since twenty sixteenth in written form, but really since twenty since nineteen ninety two informally and at the state level. Just at the federal level, we have this federal approval which again northern nonprofit history has ever had that and that allows the banks to get cro credit community investment at credit for that through investment, linning and service back to you, Brian.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So there's a retail value for that office space that is donated for our use inside of the bank branch. So what the IRS has allowed for the accounting profession has allowed is you can actually record that value of the free rent you got in your revenue but then you also offset it in expenses as rent as well. So this really takes the concept of having to enter into an agreement with someone and actually change cash back and forth. So we would not get a donation to pay for rent inside of that bank branch, nor would we actually pay a rent payment back to them to lease the space.
Speaker 3: So it really just cuts.
Speaker 4: Down on administration and cash flow when they just donate access to the facilities that we have. Otherwise we would have to pay rent somewhere to provide those services.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna put this in my phraseology versus Brian's there's two ways to make money. You make more, you spend less, And in this particular case of an in kind commitment, you're spending less with an inkind commitment tied to office space. We almost went broke several times, by the way, over thirty years. But I remember we had like nine this was before Brian got here with us. We had physical Hope and side locations where we leased the We leased the location, we paid the least rate we paid, the rent, we paid, the utilities we paid. I remember I got threatened to be sued by a janitorial company, a minority owned janitorial company in Harlem, because we hadn't paid the janitorial services for three months, and I hadn't gotten the money from the donor, and so I was waiting with the money for the donor to then pay the bills.
Speaker 2: But the local.
Speaker 1: Vendors didn't know I was waiting for that, and we didn't have the reputation that we have to day, and so they were right to like, where's my money? And I was just trying to do the right thing by hiring local small businesses. I could have hired a major national sanitation, you know, maintenance company and they would not have flinched at me not paying them for sixty to ninety days. This is local company needed their money understandable, selves understandably. So so they threatened to assume me, and it called me kind of names and and I'm like, what what, I'm not in the janitorial maintenance business.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 1: And then I started looking at the least payments and we were upside down in the lease and we were laid on all of our bills because the donor was we had one major donor donor back then, and they were having their own challenges and they were slowing down payments. Of course, that slowed us down, and I'm like, okay, I'm in.
Speaker 2: The wrong business. And then I.
Speaker 1: Figured out, you know, nobody really wants to come to a building that says poverty solved here essentially. Uh, And so I decided when this whole thing crashed and burned, and the donor came to us and said, look, we'd like to change our relationship with you and just give you some money. And we don't want to do with a lot less money than what they were giving us. We don't want to do this these hope and sides anymore. I had one major donor, and I'll give them credit. Actually it was E Trade And for years they were fantastic and I couldn't have survived if we.
Speaker 2: Can survive without them.
Speaker 1: And they had I don't know, eleven presidents in nine years or something, and the last two presidents were like, you know, we're having to restructure everything, and you're the first thing on my list, right and.
Speaker 2: So, and they didn't have any branches. We were their branches.
Speaker 1: And this guy named Scott Widley, who's who's with another company now, was very helpful then and is even helpful now as new firm relationships really matter.
Speaker 2: But anyway, that caused me.
Speaker 1: I remember calling of our team when they canceled that grant and essentially put all of our offices out of business. And I said to my team, this is an opportunity. They thought I was crazy. I caught them all on a Friday night, Bryant and Lance and Mary and Rachel and all the folks. You know, Jenny, we have to Rea, you know, let's figure out which of our model is working, and let's get rid of everything that's not working.
Speaker 2: Give me an analysis.
Speaker 1: And they came back and said, where there's one local that's paying for itself and it's a location for the Bank of the West. What was in Bank of the West? Now it's who owns them now? I mean, because the rest was purchase. I think it's b More Harris. I'm not sure, but anyway, Bank of the West was in San Francisco. We had a branch in Oakland, a hoping side and the CEO demograph, God bless them, and Michael Shepard demographs like I'm not giving any money. I'll pay I'll put you in one of my low branches. It was a complete accident. I'll put you in one of my branches that I'm building, and I'll give you half the space and you can collaborate with my team members around your no loan denial strategy, which is I would basically say you're as long as you do what we say, we won't deny you, will approve you subject to the resolution of your primary denial factors, and the banker would send the bank client over to us to when they thought the person might be declined. We would work on them because they worked for me, my employees worked for me, not the bank, and then send them back to the bank branch when they were ready.
Speaker 2: So that that location was covered.
Speaker 1: Brian, the rents were covered, all the utility payments, everything was covered by the bank. Well, that was the only model that was self sustainable. By accident, I was upset because the guy didn't give me. I wanted the money. I had the ghetto.
Speaker 2: Mentality, had a hustle mentality, give me the cash.
Speaker 1: But they were But it was actually a better deal for us because they covered all those expenses, including the staff expenses, and then they gave us a grant for ancillary services. Profit that our profit, if you will, And so now we have fifteen hundred locations, three hundred plus of which are physical hope inside full time staff than the twelve hundred which are satellites like we were doing at Truest branch, and Truists were doing this model at Truest Bank of America, Wells Fargo and others, First Horizon Bank in out of Tennessee and others. And so this out of a bad thing came a good thing, a new model where we value and booked in kind revenue. We have a huge in kind commitment from partners like Shopify, where this is stuff we would have had to pay for, but they neutralize the cost for us, meaning zeroed out like costs for licenses, for Shopify accounts and other things that are worth tens of millions of dollars. So shout out to Shopify. All right, what did I cover there, Brian? That you think needs additional clarity?
Speaker 4: I you know, one thing I think nonprofits have to realize is that just because a donor can't write you a check does not mean they don't have something of value to you that they and then that actually gets captured in your financial statement.
Speaker 3: So you know, if they.
Speaker 4: Can't give you cash, cash is king We all love cash and John say he wanted to cas, but sometimes donating what they can provide goods, services, rent is just as valuable or more valuable.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine, John.
Speaker 4: If we had to be landlords for puff the locations that we're in, God administration.
Speaker 3: Part of that would be crippling to.
Speaker 2: The organ Well.
Speaker 1: We would have to have a physical I hadn't thought about this, Bryant. If we were covering the locations and all the extenses tied to it, we would have to have an annual budget right now of one hundred and twenty five million dollars minimum minimum, just to cover the load of locations in forty two to forty three states, three hundred and fifty physical locations.
Speaker 2: I mean, my god, the leases.
Speaker 1: In all the local red tape and the legal look, we'd have to have a lawyer.
Speaker 2: On staff full time, and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't want any to get into, you know, occupancy taxes and everything else that goes along with that. So it would be crippling for us to try to reach the scale you are at now and the scale we want to be at. If we were in the real estate business, we just it would cripple us. So getting the donated office space has been a game changer for us. And you know, just because it wasn't check written to us didn't mean it didn't have value, didn't.
Speaker 1: Mean it exactly explain, Brian, So a company is like a body. A company is a person in legal form. So explain to people how a company might have an asset that's also a liability. First time somebody saw this, it was really weird to me that an asset or something that comes in as an asset, either a physical asset or a grant. Also it could be a contingent liability. It shows up on your income statement and in through your expense wash. And also the next thing, please explain what a balance sheet in an income statement actually is. But that first, this first question, how can something that's positive also be an offsetting negative.
Speaker 3: Well, one of the.
Speaker 4: Things we have on our balance sheet that you'll find both in assets and liability is our child satan accounts. We put the cash that's in our bank it's something we own, something that has value. We put that in an asset because it's a bank account, it's cash. It's a positive, but we also have to restrict it. If a parent makes a donation to that account because it's the parents' money that we're holding on too. But we're going to have to pay out for that kid when they graduate. So you can have cash in a bank account, but it might not be yours because you're just you're the custodian of the funds. But you've got a liability to pay that out at a certain date time benchmark to someone else. So it's something that you owe, but it's something that you have.
Speaker 2: And how does that relate to a multi year grant for the audience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's take some of our donors.
Speaker 2: Pre pay.
Speaker 4: You know, we talked about a million dollars over five years and paying us two hundred thousand dollars each year. Some of our donors say, I'm going to give you a five year grant for a million dollars. Here's the million dollars up front. So you get a million dollars in cash, but you've also got liabilities for the next four years to spend that money, so to do work, to do the work, and deliver on what you agree to in terms of programs.
Speaker 1: So you spend that million dollars when it comes in on hula hoops or or dinners, or whatever it is you want to do, and even if it was legal to do it. In other words, you weren't fluffing it off one personal stuff, but you're doing stuff is legally allowed within the nonprofit, but it was not. It was not the contract to program work, but it was other things that you thought were important.
Speaker 2: But you spend it all on year one.
Speaker 1: You actually are in technical default on that grant obligation in years two, three, four, and five.
Speaker 2: Isn't that right? Right?
Speaker 4: That is, if you don't deliver on it and get the moneys from somewhere else. So they've given you a million dollars to be the custodian a trustee of the funds to spend that in the outline that you've agreed on in your contract.
Speaker 3: So you know, you've got to be able to commit.
Speaker 4: And deliver on that multi year contract regardless if they pay you at the beginning equal installments over the year, or you know, cost reiversible after the fact that you've already spent the money. So the donors will come calling, and you've got to adhere to those contracts regardless of when the cash hits your bank account.
Speaker 1: Mission without management means the whole vision collapses. Explain the skeleton, the bones, the skin, the mouth. The mouth is me, the skin is my hope, coaches and all that stuff. And the heartbeat maybe is our special forces team, the management team, the skeletal bones, the fascia tissue and the skeletal bones and the ligaments that beat the muscle. Uh uh, and maybe even part of the muscle too. Is is balance sheet, income and expense statement, et cetera. Explain Pete please, Brian for the audience. I don't know if I don't know if anybody's ever explained to people what these things are. People assume and presume that folks understand it. And I don't know why anybody should. You never get this information with anybody. What does this mean?
Speaker 4: So, in simplistic terms, a balance sheet has three components. You have an asset, and an asset is something of value that's got your.
Speaker 3: Name on it, that you own.
Speaker 4: So, whether that's a bank account, whether that's a building, whether that's a receivable somebody owes you money that is something and of value to you that you book as an asset.
Speaker 3: On the opposite side, you have all your bills that you've got to pay. So think about your loans or.
Speaker 4: On the liability side, think about your accounts, payable all your vendors, like you were talking about your janitorial service. Those are things you owe to people, right, So you take your assets and you subtract out what you owe other people and that in the corporation world, is your equity, what is the business actually worth?
Speaker 3: What is the leftover? So what do I have in my hand that is valuable?
Speaker 4: Take out what I owe other people, and then what's less is your equity or your net assets in a nonprofit world, so there's three components. That's why the balance sheets so important. It's like what is your value, who do you owe? What's left over.
Speaker 1: That. If you are telling others to watch this or listening to this podcast, they should go to that two minute three minute segment where he breaks down balance sheet, income and expense and really play it several times because you can get into a lot of trouble not understanding that. It's the skeleton that gives you the structure and the integrity to hang the muscle, the heartbeat, the blood flow, the skin, the look, the clothes, the feel, the mouth, the vision. All that has to ride on a very solid skeleton. Or your you're cock this fuck tutus and that's French. You can figure that out for yourself. Cock this fuck tutus. All right, Brian, you and I met were introduced in a crisis, and let's unpack that a bit. Because rainbows only follow storms, you learn a lot about somebody how they manage tough times. And I called Brian without getting into the background, it's not important. We were having a management change in the middle of a crisis. And I remember I was in New York City in a hotel room, middle of the after late afternoon, preparing to go to the airport. We had a we had an emergency meetings of this or that and the other thing. We had a management change. Certain people were not there anymore.
Speaker 2: I couldn't. I couldn't didn't.
Speaker 1: Want to call uh, you know uh, certain folks that get get answers.
Speaker 2: I wanted to call the moneyman.
Speaker 1: So you and I really had just met, and I called you, and you one of our first conversations. And we also had a situation where the audit firm, the prior audit firm, as I recall, had quit.
Speaker 2: In the midst of all of this, we had government.
Speaker 1: Grants and private grants that we had to report on, and we were in the middle of an and we had to get a new audit firm, And you went and got the new audit firm while you're managing the crisis of the old audit firm like herding cats, are you know, you know, juggling, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Rearranging the deck chairs of the Titanic.
Speaker 1: Unpacked that period for the audience so they can understand how to manage in a crisis. And you gave me confidence by the way that it was going to be handled by it, telling me everything, the good news, the bad news, the warts and everything in between.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny now i'm thinking about it. I think I've been here six seven months at that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all of this has blown up.
Speaker 4: We didn't meet here in the interview process, but yes, we had not worked closely together. There were a couple of layers of management between us. But yes, so our prior audit firm. We had some disagreements of the accounting treatment for certain transactions of historically what they wanted to see versus what I thought was founded in true statements and guidelines. And so instead of restating the prior year they decided they just didn't want to issue new financials.
Speaker 3: So they quit.
Speaker 4: And then when they quit, this was I think late September, and we had to get our financials to the federal clearing house and that was by nine p thirty, So we had a couple of days. We thought we were done, We thought we were getting a report, and at the last minute, no, not only are we're not getting a report, we're leaving you not it's going to quit, balkboy, hindsight, the best thing that could have happened. You know, things happened for a reason. But what I did at that point was pulled on relationships. Who do I know in this world that owns the audit firm that trust me to say this is not a bad thing because the audi or find us this was just a disagreement.
Speaker 3: Let me walk you through my logic and my justification for.
Speaker 4: Why we ended up where we were and was able to secure an audit firm based on a relationship, because better audit firm based on prior relationships. They know. I knew what I was talking about in terms of getting the financials ready for an audit, and decided, yeah, we'll take you on as a client. So I literally dropped everything. The day that we got fired, got in my car, I called the audit firm partner and I was like, now you come see you.
Speaker 3: He's like, well, you know, you want to talk about it on the phone.
Speaker 1: I said, no, No, I didn't come to see you on.
Speaker 2: Your face.
Speaker 4: I needed to see you face to face. This is not This was before zoom, so this was just telephone. I was like, this ain't gonna work. We're gonna have to get in the across the desk from each other and have a conversation.
Speaker 2: So I ago about something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I drove thirty minutes to their office and sat down and explained everything.
Speaker 3: But we were able to get through that.
Speaker 4: But John, you know what I learned is you've got to have relationships with all of your vendors, audit firms, all of those things, they're all based on relationships. You know, they trusted what I had done in the past to feel comfortable engaging with us on audit. But they still did the audit. They've got a verifight, you know, They've still got to go through the process. But we wouldn't have gotten to that stage without trust. And that trust is based on personal relationship capital. As you talk about a lot, don't think of your vendors just as vendors.
Speaker 3: They're your partners. They should be viewed.
Speaker 2: As a partner.
Speaker 4: They provide value to your organization. If they don't, you've got the wrong vidors.
Speaker 2: And we fell forward.
Speaker 1: We went from a local audit firm we had been with since we were founded in nineteen n eighty two in Los Angeles, where the partners that change, the people that changed. Someone knew us anymore. We had moved into Atlanta. I didn't know the people anymore. No one knew the people that that out a firm anymore, accounting firm. And they had no they had no they were getting a discounted fee to do the work. They just were not motivated to do it. And I thought they wanted out. And Brian had a different view of the world than they did. Let me phrase that, they had a different view of the world than the truth and so two things. So you can have professionals that have two different views, and sometimes.
Speaker 2: A rational lies is tell rational lies.
Speaker 1: They wanted out, they wanted to go, and they were trying to create reasons to go. And I don't know whether they were trying to hurt us or not. But what they originally went from, we have a disagreement, we have some questions. Then you can have what's called a material You could have a material disagreement, which is not good, which means that we don't trust. We think there's a problem with the financials themselves. The material what do they call that in accounting terms, it's material weakness.
Speaker 3: Material weakness and statement.
Speaker 1: Right, they wanted to restate the financials, which we might have gone along with, but then they just quit. So Brian's like, no, you guys don't understand what you're doing and you're not seeing this properly. And he was able to go to a much larger, much more prestigious firm, much more sophisticated, who said, oh, yeah, we get this, we understand this, and this is what you know anyway, blah blah blah, rest his history.
Speaker 2: But that could have killed us.
Speaker 1: I mean, that moment could have been the death of us if we didn't handle that properly. And it's been over thirty years before Brian got to us, thirty three years. There's been many moments. Had I had a president twenty five years ago who stole.
Speaker 2: I think it was seven.
Speaker 1: I figured it was seven than twenty thousand something. It was a lot of money at that time for us. And I remember he came and cried on my couch and I'm like, what you cried for? You either one who took the money. He defrauded us, And it was hard to canser fraud because he wrote the checks right back in the days where everything was a written check. And I think he had gone to one of my board members and said we were going bankrupt. It is twenty five, thirty years ago, and the boarder called me. He's like John, thinking me to get rid of this guy. He just showed up. You're going bankrupt. Before your president, we had an account. We had a bookkeeper thirty years ago, thirty years ago, Brian, who did not have a bank account. The bookkeeper I was trying to hire from the community.
Speaker 4: Down.
Speaker 3: Your heart can get you in trouble sometimes.
Speaker 2: Don't don't.
Speaker 1: I tell people, don't get emotional about your business. Do not make emotional decisions. It was completely emotional. I met this guy.
Speaker 2: He was so impressive and I was had a heart for people, and yeah, we'll hire him, hire him. You know.
Speaker 1: It was Rachel hire m put him in the accounting department, right, and we found out later very nice guy. He never made a mistake actually, but did not have a bank account.
Speaker 2: Kill you, couldn't you? Okay, Bye?
Speaker 1: Sorry, so many many stories over the years, but let's sort of go to the end now. Tell the audience where we are now from a physical health perspective, and why this Charity Navigator forced our rating matters so much. And as we begin to wrap up, what are five or ten really important things that the audience needs to think about as they're growing an enterprise? And how do you work with a crazy person like me, an entrepreneur like me with my hair on fire, is always about growth and new things and new partnerships.
Speaker 2: How do you keep up? You're in the back office, But you.
Speaker 4: Know, I'm really proud of what we've accomplished here at Operation Hope. Charity Navigator is a third party, independent organization that actually takes everybody all nonprofits tax returns which are publicly available, and they actually ranked the organizations on terms of financial health. Are you a healthy organization? But they also look at your transparency. Are you really opening up and letting donors, investors, whatever you've got see the true picture of what's going on, good, bad, and ugly.
Speaker 3: Are you showing the truth?
Speaker 4: So for twelve consecutive years we have gotten a four star rating, which is the highest rating you can get with Charity Navigator.
Speaker 3: On accountability and transparency.
Speaker 4: This last I think the last two ratings were perfect scores of one hundred in both categories.
Speaker 2: So what nonprofits conplain that?
Speaker 3: I think we're the last.
Speaker 4: They stopped giving me statistics on how many nonprofits actually had that track record of consecutive four stars. I think it was either in year nine or year ten, But we were in the top seven percent of all nonprofits in the.
Speaker 2: Of all the country a million.
Speaker 4: You're talking about American Cancer Society, big big.
Speaker 3: Organizations, and we're in the top seven percent.
Speaker 4: Making sure that we are consistently transparent and financially healthy. You know, we talked a little bit about program expenses, making sure that all of our donations are going to providing impacts to the communities that we serve. You know, you may hear these commercials on the radio, eighty eight cents or ninety cents of every dollar goes to supporting animal in our care for the American Humane Society.
Speaker 3: It's really important because donors do not want to pay. John, you may not like this. We want to pay for you.
Speaker 4: They to pay for what are we doing to actually change lives? That's right, you're not changing lives, but they don't want to give, you know, a home. If fifty dollars is going to be blown on a Christmas party, you know they want to see change in the community.
Speaker 3: So the charity navigator is very.
Speaker 1: Important to us, which is why, by the way, the audience and anybody running an operation. I don't have an expense account, Okay, I have an expense report. There's so much that getting into this, Brian is so much this almost could be a series. I don't have an expense account. I have an expense report. An expense report means I put it on my credit card. Expense account is it goes on the organization's credit card, and I'm even giving a budget or something. I think there's really a prescription for waste if you have expense account cards just willy nilly running around, and I think a lot of fraud happens that way. Expense report is I put it on my credit card, then I issue an expense reimbursement request and I've got to justify why I made that expense. And by the way, while you're at it, why you're answering these questions, Brian, you might as well tell the audience how often you tell me no on whatever it is, and why I have to empower you to tell me no, even though I mean technically your boss.
Speaker 4: Well, we always joke we want everything we do to be looked through the lens it was it published on the front page of the newspaper or the.
Speaker 1: Do you never want to do anything you don't want to see on the front page of New York Times in five years. You want everything you do to be transparent and you comfortable and cool with whatever it is.
Speaker 4: So if John Smith's an expense reimbursement report and something's on there, could it be a business expense yes, could it be a legal expense yes? But would it pass the muster of someone from the external going?
Speaker 3: Is that the best use of the donor's funds?
Speaker 2: And then sometimes sometimes I make a mistake.
Speaker 1: Sometimes my team we'll put a personal expense on that they didn't mean to you from a different card.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So there's a various reasons why I kind of push back sometimes But most of the time, John, I'm just trying to build the justification in case I get questioned on our financials that I understand what's in them.
Speaker 1: But sometimes he says, I mean, it's not just about expense reports. Sometimes he'll say no.
Speaker 2: About like try to give an example.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'll say I want to do X, and he'll say, no, John, you we really can't do that. But he'll say, but I know what you're trying to achieve. Let's do it this other way because that's more appropriate. Uh. Like you know, we may want to make a donation or maybe want to make a but there's no budget for this particular thing, or there's no you know. But we have an entity called Hope Ventures and we invested it's a real life example. We've invested in a company, uh, twenty five thousand dollars in this company, the coff that Black Coffee company, and and what Abara's going to do it? It was it was there was no budget for there was it wasn't really the cleanest way to go about it, even though it's completely appropriate in line with our mission. But Hope Ventures, that's exactly what Hope Ventures was set up to do. And so Brian's job was to say, no, we're not doing it that way. We can do it. We have the money, we have the resources where within budget, but we should do with that. We ain't talk about budgets. What does that mean we made to come back and do it budgets.
Speaker 4: We didn't talk about legal entities because Operation Hope is the umbrella company. We do have Hope Ventures, which is LLC that's one hundred percent owned by Operation Hope, but it's a separate legal entity. We had one for our properties that was a separate llcors Advisors. So you can create.
Speaker 2: Hope Hope Global forms.
Speaker 4: You can create legal structures to accomplish what you're trying to do, But then you've got to understand what activity can be under which entity in which one that falls in the best. Where me and John we're talking about the Black Coffee investment, I was like, yeah, that really doesn't invent the nonprofit Army used to be in our Hope Ventures entity to make that investment and be an equity holder in that company.
Speaker 1: So audience hear this. The entrepreneur is is really important. But the entrepreneur needs a banker and and a an accountant, a financial officer, chief and age. So the chief financial officer is the financial architect, the financial modeler for the for the enterprise. The entrepreneur is the driver, the hunter, the builder, right, And I keep saying every organization has to have a hunter, a skinner, and a cook and lands Triggs as part of the well. A lot of our folks are doing the cooking, delivering the product to the audience. The analysts are a lot of folks. Rachel daff Chief of staff, Bill Fair Uh, Tina Fair Uh, Deborah Collins, LaToya Hall Uh, Sir James Buchannan, There's a whole bunch of folks, uh, his accounting, Michael Smith. There's a lot of people in the engine room who are the skinners and Uh and I'm I'm the I'm clearly the hunter. And Brian's probably the chief skinner. Brian Bett the chief skinner. We haven't talked about budgets. You've got to have a budget, got to stay within it. We talked a little bit about what goes in a budget and the kinds of revenue. We talked a little bit about liabilities. I think we've covered generally speaking, it's really you got the boss. So the banker and the accountant and others keeps the entrepreneur on the road.
Speaker 2: The entrepreneur is going.
Speaker 1: So fast the entrepreneur can run off off the road, run into a ditch. So the banker's job is not just to say no, no, no, no, name no, or the account because you need the entrepreneur growing. Without growth the entrepreneurs, there's nothing but the banker and the accountant and the auditor and the auditors.
Speaker 2: To fuss about. Right, So the entrepreneur needs.
Speaker 1: The guard rails of the of the protectors of these rows of accounting and finance. Likewise, accounting of finance, legal, et cetera. Needs the fuel of a guy like me or a woman, an entrepreneur who's hunting every day, who's going don't do one, do both, otherwise you have busyness and not a real business. Most people think that movements are built on passion and speeches, but movements are actually survive because of systems, budgets and discipline. And Brian Bett runs the operational engine behind Operation Hope. Today we're talking about but what's behind the curtain and how the mission actually works in a real tangible way.
Speaker 2: We run it like a business.
Speaker 1: Brian as we wrap up, is there anything we could have gone on for another hour?
Speaker 2: Actually? Is there anything? Yeah? Is there anything you want to cover that we haven't?
Speaker 4: No. I mean I'd like to make a quick statement about what you said, is that you've got to have that dreamer, that entrepreneurial mindset to really look at future possibilities. Where I see my role is really protecting you to make sure you're making their best decisions with all the information.
Speaker 3: So pointing out risk. Just just because you have a.
Speaker 4: Risk doesn't mean we're not going to do something, but we need to be aware of it.
Speaker 3: So you know, my job is not to say no to John.
Speaker 4: It's really to point out and make sure we have a complete picture before we move into something.
Speaker 3: So it really does have to be a partnership.
Speaker 2: Sometimes he doesn't say no, which is fun. Sometimes anyway he protects me, he protects the organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it really has to be that partnership.
Speaker 4: So you know, when you're looking at those two roles, they don't conflict with each other. They have to work together because, like you said, one without the other does not make a healthy organization.
Speaker 1: And then you've got the board of directors, which Brian also deals, which is a governance role, and Brian has to manage between operations, executive branch me and governance.
Speaker 2: He's got a he's got to work. And then the outside vendors.
Speaker 1: Like the added firm and accounting firm which may be different from sometimes and others to make in legal all these things. It's like herding cats.
Speaker 4: And all we're trying to do John on a daily basis is deliver on our mission. So yes, we think about real impact. It doesn't scale by accident. You've got to have those systems, you've got to have those partnerships. And then we didn't even get into you've got to have people that deeply believe in the mission. And I'm excited to say that. You know, Operation Hope just received an award for top Workplace for a nonprofit. So that means our happy. Our employees are engaged, they believe in the organization. They're being fulfilled here. So we've got Charity navigator on fiscal and transparency. We've got our employees recognizing us as a top workplace. We've got our partners that continue to invest in us because we deliver on our promises.
Speaker 1: Atlanta Business Chronicle keeps recognizing as one of the biggest nonprofits in all of Atlanta, and we're the largest big blackmail nonprofit in US history.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of first.
Speaker 1: And we're I think we're just we've only just begun now adding hope AI to our work around financial literacy. Are there any takeaways that you have for the audience, any recommendations for founders, entrepreneurs, dreamers out there? Nonprofit people are trying to run a nonprofit, want to run a nonprofit, want to run a for profit?
Speaker 2: Pleas at nonprofit people see me. I think it's easy to do both.
Speaker 1: It's not easy, and it's expensive to have separate infrastructure, but you must. You cannot blend these two together. That's the best way to go to jail or get in trouble. Any suggestions you have as we wrap this up in general.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think you've got to prepare. You can't go into it based emotion. You can't go into it without knowledge. And there are so many organizations out there here in at Georgia, we've got the Georgia Center for Nonprofits that will give you training on how to create a nonprofit, how to manageable ward out of you know, financial statements for non financial peace people so that you understand every aspect of it. So I would encourage you to get connected to all of these resources. Fully understand what you're getting yourself into. Because this sounds great. I'm going to start a nonprofit to do X, but do you really understand what it's going to take from a compliance standpoint, a framework standpoint. It may be a great idea, but I always want to get everybody knowledge before they get into it because it is so hard to get off the rails. And we want to make sure all of our companies have seed. So let's make sure we give you the infrastructure and the knowledge to do that.
Speaker 2: I love me some Brian Betts, and I trust John Homan.
Speaker 1: This is a this is a This is a brilliant dude, and I'm glad that I'm able to let the audience see and hear who he is.
Speaker 2: He doesn't get credit for all that he does. I love him so much.
Speaker 1: I made him part of the historic Founding Special Forces Team and the Rider Die Special Forces Team, my key group of leaders. And when I sold one of my companies a few years ago, you guys can watch this video. One of the people who I surprised who he didn't know was getting anything I gave.
Speaker 2: I gave everybody a new.
Speaker 1: Car, a car and plus some cash, investment, cash, whatever. And I surprised Brian with a car which I think was his dream car, and he is and sold it.
Speaker 2: I think I think actually likes that.
Speaker 1: But that's what I was able to do that in my for profit world to help people in my nonprofit world. But that's that's how much I treasure this guy. He really treats Operational like it's his own. He treats me like I'm family, and which means sometimes you have to tell family, let's do something this way versus that way. You have to empower people to give you constructive criticism. Otherwise they can't help you. You just have a bunch of yes people around you, and they're gonna get you into trouble. You can get yourself in trouble because you don't know everything. You may be smart is what you don't know that you don't know and you think you know. So Brian, thank you very much, great job you're doing. I think we need to have you back. I think there's so much weak ground we didn't cover. Once you think about Brian all the stuff we didn't cover. I wonder, Gee, it's gonna I hope we can get you know, forty five minutes for an hour. It is, this is we've run out of time and there's so much more. So think about all of a sudden we didn't cover that we should cover the next time and the audience. Go in the comments when you see out takes on social media and say, can you please address x Y and Z because there's some things that Brian and I might just assume that you know and we're we don't. Shake Tree tells me all the time, John, you got to make this simple. Don't assume that people know X Y and Z. Brian, last word from you.
Speaker 3: Yah, I'd be more than excited to come back and talk to your viewers and listeners. And it's just been a real pleasure.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed my work here in Operation Hope, knowing that we're changing lives on a daily basis, not just giving a handout or giving it and empowering them with Big Lady.
Speaker 3: And that's something you can't take away as.
Speaker 1: Your dignity a man, everybody should want to have somebody as smart as Brian betts On on their side as their ride or die partner. He's making smart sexy. We're making dumb sexy for way too long. We need to make smart sexy again. Ladies and gentlemen. This is Money and Wealth on the Black Effect Network on iHeart Radio. And this has been Brian Betts in conversation with me, President Chief Financial Officer, and we even talk about what the presidency means. So much stuff of Operation Hope and what's behind the curtain of Hope, how it is a mission made real through management. Money and Wealth with John O'Brien is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from the Black Effect Podcast Network, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.