Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Have you been hungry for some college football?
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait. And if you love college football as much as I do, jump in on the Draftking sports Book.
Speaker 3: Go to the app.
Speaker 2: Takes you ninety seconds, maybe two minutes download. It's a small slate of games, but it's week zero. We got the one over in Dublin. And go to the Draftking app. If you're a first timer, let's make it easy. Just pick a team to win. Select a team, place your first bet. This is going to be a gigantic season because of conference realignment. There's so much mystery and so much fun, and so many big games. Oregon, Ohio, State, Texas, Georgia. That's now a part of our life. If you've always loved college football, add a layer to it. Go to the Draftking sports Book app. Put in the name Colin. By the way, when you download the app, put in the name Colin. That's two one hundred dollars in bonus bets. If you put in the code column, you get two hundred dollars in bonus bets from Draftking betting just five bucks. That's a nice head start. It's like you're one without winning. Pick a team. It's simple downloaded code column two hundred bucks off five only on DraftKings. The crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight open wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ince See DKNG dot co slash bball for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 5: Kobe number one, he had the Master kill him in Double Me.
Speaker 6: This guy was relentless, relentless.
Speaker 7: Having somebody like that early on in my career, I mean, change everything for.
Speaker 8: Me, and I'm probably gonna get in trouble telling you this. We actually hired Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 3: At Turner.
Speaker 9: At Turner, don't waste my time, you know, Kobe and I used to talk about that, which is so funny because I always think about our conversations about just being ready and how you show up.
Speaker 10: My all time favorite Kobe moment was when I got to stop on cod he slapped me on the leg. I'm like, yeah, today, ain't have nothing to do with you, young fella. I just missed you had the opportunity to play with and in a major way, d Wade, Kobe, and Penny.
Speaker 3: You played with Brian.
Speaker 10: To me, that was kind of the tell end of your career, like it wasn't your as shocked dominant as you were.
Speaker 3: With those guys.
Speaker 10: When you look at those three guys, though, rate them.
Speaker 5: It's tough to rate him because we speak a language. Right if I say in our language, but it gets out not saying that your show would do that. But even if you put out a clip, the ones that don't comprehend our language are trying to make it look like I'm rating them. But I'm a rate them because you're a good friend of mine, and he asked me to do it. Kobe number one, he had the Master kill him in debity, and I like to say I help him get that because when he first came in, I put the Dolevant tests on. I fuck, you ain't shit, don't shoot fuck that, and it would drive him crazy. You know you talk about the six five, six hours a day in the gym. Yeah, he did that just so he could shut me the fuck up. And I loved it because I already knew what I was gonna do. I already knew I was gonna give you twenty eight ten in the playoffs, thirty five whatever, but I needed another guy, and I always used to piss him off or you know, you know this very well. You know, I don't know how your team was, but you know for a fact, you don't have to be like this to win the championship. You do not on the court you have to be like this, but attitudes and you don't have to be like that. So you know, we used to always go at it, and it was I don't want to say my fault, but I knew what the fuck I was doing because when he came in, he showed me that he wanted to be a dog. He was that puppy that was nibbling on a chair and I was like, Okay, watch this motherfucker. You ain't nah fuck don't shoot shoot it again. Motherfucker wants so like I just hused to piss him off. And then by the time he got into itself and I kind of had to make a decision like you know, feels like listen, let him do what he's doing the fourth quarter. And once I made that decisions like you know, and then we was because like first three quarter, give me the fucking ball, let me do what I'm gonna do, let me get us in the penalty. And then because I'm not a great free throw shooter, fourth quarter, I'll step back and you do what you do. And we did that, and you know, he sacrificed. He did because he all those finals where he helped me win the championship. He damn sure could have easily got found MVP. But that was our plan, big dog E for the first three and the fourth I takeover. And my favorite game in Indiana was on our first championship where I filed out and I looked at him. I was like this, if we lose, it's all my fucking fuck. Shack you motherfucker. You want to be a rapper, You're doing movies and you ain't concentrating on your free throws. I don't know what my percentage was, but it wasn't black Steph Curry Like, so I already know if we fucking lose this series, gonna be my fuck. I'm looking at Covie, motherfucker. Do me like that? I'm like that, motherfucker. He had an incredible four or five like and then I knew then we just gonna went out went our first championship. So him for that, you were called a Kobe stopper.
Speaker 10: Uh, And you've talked about being stuck on Kobe Island before.
Speaker 6: Don't start that, man, I don't need that on my Instagram feed. Man, don't start that talk.
Speaker 3: But what what what? What do you think?
Speaker 10: What do you think differentiated Kobe from everyone else? Like, there were obviously other tough covers. Paul Pierce was a tough cover. Uh, you played before you played with d Waye. D way was a tough cover before you played with Bron Brown was a tough What made Kobe so much tougher to cover than all those other guys?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: And I did not like Kobe. We were frenemies and we had this weird, passive, aggressive like relationship. I never spoke to him outside of the gym. But there was no one I respect him more for his for his mind. Look, this guy was relentless, relentless, you know, and I you know, people ask me like, what do you miss about playing? And I said, you know, getting in the bus and having those butterflies in my stomach, going to Staples Center, being like, man, this guy, this guy's gonna try to score sixty on me tonight. He's gonna try it's gonna try to embarrass me. He's gonna try to embarrass me tonight, you know. And so like I always had to be my best always, And if he scored twenty, he wanted thirty. If he scored thirty, he wanted forty. Score forty, you want to fifty, fifty want to sixty. I mean, like, he was relentless. And so there was one never a player that I ever took a play off, you know, And I got like I wasn't fast, Like, you know, I knew how to play everybody, and I knew when I could sort of like slough off and take shortcuts, you couldn't do that against Kobe because he was so relentless. And so we had this really weird game that we played like some days, you'd come out and be all, buddy, buddy.
Speaker 3: Hey, Shane, how you doing, Man, what's going on?
Speaker 6: The Next day he would wouldn't even look at me right And the next time he'd be like, oh, man, what's going on? And so like, he was always like ice and fire with me, just trying to throw me off. And I had the same mentality. I never looked him in the eye, you know, I just was I never said I can't guard Kobe. He's so much better than me. And so in Mama Mentality he wrote about this, and I didn't read about this. Left is passing, and his passing really affected me, so I always thought I have this time to have this conversation with him. So when he passed, it really really affected me. And I read his page in Mama Mentality where he said, you know, talking about guys were Kobe stoppers, and he said, you know Shane, you know, Shane never talked trash to me because he knew that it fire me up. And he never admitted that like he could guard me. He's like, but I saw that his false humility, and I attacked him because of it. But I still respected Shane. I'm like, he's right he's one hundred percent right. So, like he knew me without really even knowing me, and that's what's special about our relationship. And uh, you know, we never spoke outside the basketball court. I didn't know me, he didn't know me, but like we knew each other. We had this weird like dynamic on the court. And so for me, he was the pinnacle of competition, the pinnacle of of of of excellence and he always brought the best out of me. And that's why I love.
Speaker 10: Him absolutely, which which brings me to my next question. I'd be remiss about an access because it's something that really gets under my skin.
Speaker 3: And you just mentioned it everyone nowadays.
Speaker 10: People have a good game and they're like, yeah, I channeled the Momba mentality, and I'm just like, don't stop it, Like, don't do that, Like that's that's not okay. And by the way, if Kobe was still alive, I don't think y'all would be saying that, because Kobe will call you out and tell you that's actually not it.
Speaker 3: But like, what do you make of all of these people.
Speaker 10: Going on on TV like, yeah, I got the Mamma mentality, I'm doing this, Like what do you make of that.
Speaker 6: Well, look, you know, Kobe inspired a generation. So all these young guys came up, they grew up on watching Kobe, you know, him hitting those jumpers and making big shots, and so to them, like that's their dream. Like you know, you and I watched you know, the Pistons and Isaiah and Joe d and and you know all these guys and bad boys. That's that's what inspired us. All these guys are inspired by Kobe.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 6: You know, in this Instagram world, you know, you think you know somebody just by watching them and all, yeah, I'm gonna be that guy. But like there's only one code, you know, and there's only only one person that puts in the work and understands the sacrifice, understands the discipline, understands, you know, every single night what it takes right. And to me, that's what mama mentality is. It's is a relentless pursuit of excellence. And it's not about like, you know, having the game. It's about like this is this is who I am every single time I step out on the court. And it's the hardest thing, his hardest thing in life, hurtst thing in basketball to be that dude, every single time you lace them up right, And so you know, it's I think it's cute that these guys are paying homage to Kobe.
Speaker 5: But man, do it.
Speaker 6: Do it for as long as he did it at that level, for as long as he did it, and then maybe we can talk.
Speaker 10: See you said that better than I could ever said it, because you know what I said, I hate that ship. I hate when people say that, but you said, you put that better than I've ever heard it put. It's about that pursuit of excellence every single night because people don't understand that, like when you gotta do it night in the night out.
Speaker 3: These young guys come in.
Speaker 10: The league and they like, I want his spot, I want that thing, I want this money, that contract, And when you have to do that every single night on a soft Monday, and you know who got the worst record, Detroit got the worst record in the league. Right now, on a soft Monday, soft Tuesday, you rolling into Detroit, it's two below outside and you got to go do that.
Speaker 3: You know, like, yep, then where's that mama mentality?
Speaker 10: Then?
Speaker 3: So I definitely can appreciate that.
Speaker 10: He worked and that irrational confidence just became a part like you just became a part of who he is.
Speaker 3: But that's the irrational confidence.
Speaker 10: King, How did that relationship help you, especially early on in dealing with like y'all was canning, y'all ask it. Fans do not handle that well? How did that relationship help you continue to do what you were doing and deal with the shit that people are starting to say?
Speaker 7: You know, the biggest thing he always ever said was keep the main thing, the main thing, right, that was one thing and two just like that was like my north star.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: You may never get there whatever, but it's what you get out of it is what you're trying to reach, right, So the awesome professional take care of your body, playing every single game, having this type of mentality like you know, like I'm here for a reason, this is my purpose. Like my purpose just tonight is to kill. My purpose tonight is go out and help my team win. Like having somebody like that early on in my career, I mean, change everything for me. You know, I could say the same thing about you know, bron coming year two and seeing it from a player perspective, because you know, Cob was here, he was gone retired at this point, so it was just like you know, word of mouth, but like Ron, I'm really seeing it too. So you know, just having that relationship with Cobe, it was man, it was everything. Like I still have the text messages like we just had never delete them, you know, just like just things to go back on, things to think of, Like like he was just so he was just so smart man, and about just everything putting you on game, just of things you wudn't even think of, like the attention to detail that he had basketball, he had, in life, he had in business, he had in relationships, and like that's what I want for my life.
Speaker 1: And so jeremy land locker was next to mine, so I got to witness the whole entire thing from.
Speaker 3: The first gaming ball to the next game he ball.
Speaker 1: Like it was like we got his locker here. We had an empty locker here and it's my locker to where like I was getting dressed, brother, and like the damn near in the bathroom in the handicaps time I had to hang my shit up. Brother, it was like a thousand people in the locker room. I mean, you was hooping, right, so you want I don't know how y'all was looking at it, but he was on CNN, MSNBC, uh MTV B, the Weather Channel, d H one. They was all in there because I kept having to move my seat out. I'm like, damn, what's the Weather Channel. It's like Jeremy Lynn, make it rain. Chinese brought so many China media it was crazy.
Speaker 3: They had to move him to a press conference that.
Speaker 1: Granted, this is like maybe like three weeks before all start weekend, he is doing press conferences and a full room of people. Uh, Kobe came in town. Than Kobe, don't let this du but your ass you hot?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: He hot? Don't don't let him get you.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: You know Cob like, come on.
Speaker 5: B there, not worried about none of that.
Speaker 3: I'm like, hey, yo, he is going to kill you guys tomorrow. And I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: This now, Bro, just someone I come in here after the game.
Speaker 3: Right, You're not mad at me?
Speaker 1: So me and him at dinner and man, and this is all I'm talking about. No matter what Kobe is talking about, all I keep coming back to, like, hey, Doc, he's going to bust out last tomorrow and I'm going to show up in your locker room and I'm gonna be laughing, Brodie, Lakers come in town. Hey dude, he served the Lakers, And after the game, I went right down here.
Speaker 3: He was tight. Hey dude, Kobe was so tight. He was so tight.
Speaker 1: He was hot because he didn't you know what I mean, he didn't you didn't know what to like. This kid had magic. It was just like it was just some shit that you only see the greats have, you know what I mean. But you see people have these moments on ten day contracts or like filling in for somebody, Like you see somebody have a great one or two weeks. But like the attention and the level he was playing at was like.
Speaker 3: Ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And then we played Miami and Lebron and was like, all right, we're done with all this shit. It's over the end of it.
Speaker 8: Even though the work ain't hard and it's fun, you still have something to do all the time. I tell you, you still have stuff to do all the time. And that's what Like if I could just show up at the studio and just do basketball, like no, I have to do X amount of interviews to day at the you know, like you know, you have to go and pump up the show. That's really what's really fun I tell you this, it's funny story, not not manting. People know this, and I'm probably gonna get in trouble. I'm telling you this. We actually hired Kobe Bryant at Turner at Turner, but he didn't want to do all the other bullshit it and I'm probably gonna get in trouble for saying this, but it's one of the like little things that been that we kept keeping all so he actually signed with us. But then when we start at telling like, you know, I have to do a bunch of radio shows, like hey, I go on this show on Monday, said hey from Thursday night, T and T, same thing on Tuesday, same thing on Wednesday, thing on Thursday. He's like, yeah, I don't want to do all that stuff. He says, well, you have to promote the show, Kobe. So Kobe actually is so funny, and like I say, it's probably all that ten people in the world know that that he actually signed with us. He's like, no, I'm not doing all that other bulls and he just like nah, But it was funny because, like I say, we always have something to do.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So so wait, hold on, so Kobe signed and he was going to be on on like just one of the guys on the Thursday Night crew.
Speaker 8: Yeah, wow, Yeah he had he had he had signed with US. David Leave, my old boss, had signed into a deal, and we were excited.
Speaker 3: We were really excited.
Speaker 8: And then he called me back like a week or ten days later, somewhere in that time frame like, yeah, Kobe's not gonna come. We're like why because he don't want to do all the pr stuff. He don't want to go on radio shows and talk about basketball. I'm like, well, that's part of the gig. I mean, people need to know, hey, I'm on Thursday Night because if you notice, when you do interviews, they're like, hey, welcome from t n T Thursday Night. Charge Barkley, same thing.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 8: He talked to Kenny and Check. They always because that's that's part of the promoting the show. So it was funny though he didn't want to do all that and he never never came work for us.
Speaker 9: I have a really hard time trying to motivate people to do something that you should be passionate about, you should love, you should be seeing that it is an honor to be able to play this sport because you could get hurt at any time and not be able to play.
Speaker 11: So to me, it's like respect the game.
Speaker 9: And I have a hard time with like babysitting people and just trying to I don't know, I'm just I'm not built like that, So that's the difficult part for me, you know. I think it's one thing where you talk about like high school kids, everybody you know, some people sign up. You got to pick the best people you have at the school. Every kid's not that like that's not their dream, but they may be athletic enough to make a team. Okay, but you're talking about top tier. You're talking about a professional.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 11: I don't have time for all the excuses. I don't have time for all of Like I was out last night, like don't waste my time.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 11: Zobe and I used to talk about that, which is.
Speaker 9: So funny because I always think about our conversations about just being ready and how you show up, you know, and the fact that you have to tell your teammates like we got a big we got a game tomorrow, so you might not want to go out tonight. Like I shouldn't have to explain those things to you because my hard work is a part of what we're trying to build here, and I need everybody. We need everybody to win, you know, that's the that's the hard part. So coaching for me, I'm like, I cannot motivate you to want to win, Like that's all that I know.
Speaker 11: I'm so bad, Like it's space I'm just way with everything.
Speaker 9: Though, space bag and whatever we're playing bro Domino's Like, you don't want to see me in nothing tongue whatever it is, Like, I am playing to win. Don't sit down at the table with me if you try to, like what are we doing? I don't like people who just want to play for fun.
Speaker 10: We'll love to know what your favorite era of Kobe was? Was your favorite era eight? Or what's your favorite era twenty four? I think that's such a tough decision, but I think I gotta go eight because eight is just such a huge part of my childhood, Like eight is who I grew up watching with the fro.
Speaker 3: And as you get older, you mature more, and I think eight just.
Speaker 10: Didn't give a damn about anything, Like eight didn't care what you thought.
Speaker 3: Not that the twenty four by the way, but eight man eight. A part of eight.
Speaker 10: Never had kids, like I know what that does, see you like, A part of eight was just Kobe growing into cold man.
Speaker 3: And so I think for me eight was probably my favorite.
Speaker 10: I saw so when I was a huge fan of My favorite player of all time is Shaq. I've said that before, the y'all said a million times, that's my favorite player of all time. And I watched Cod grow up with Shaq win championships as eight, and so for me, my favorite era is eight. I think my all time favorite Kobe moment is not one in basketball per se, like one moment, like all eighty one points, like all those is great, and if you're a Kobe fan you love those things. But for me personally, my all time favorite Kobe moment was when I got to stop on code. He slapped me on the leg. I'm like, yeah, today, ain't had nothing to do with you, young fella. I just missed game winning shot. Mark Jackson put me in a few seconds left in the game.
Speaker 3: Like, yo, you got Kobe? WHOA Okay?
Speaker 10: I think I played twenty seven seconds that game. I had to get a stop to go and send a game in overtime and didn't get a stop to win the game in overtime, and I think that's the only time I played.
Speaker 3: In that game. But I was hype winning.
Speaker 10: Kobe in front of our bench, shoot the left shoulder, turn around, fade patting, and fade away.
Speaker 5: Miss.
Speaker 3: Let's go. I ain't had nothing to do with you, young fella. I just missed. Kept walking.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, no limit, limit
Speaker 6: The volume.