Speaker 1: Watch up and welcome back to another episode of No Sealers Podcast with your hosts now Fuck That with your loaw glasses Malone.
Speaker 2: I've been thinking about it a lot, right. It's like.
Speaker 1: The music business is going through such a change, right, So, like we're going to New York to set up all of the stuff for press, and it's odd to not go up there and not do a press run, but just really going up there to invest in an idea that that you need to invest in, right, which is taking pictures and you know, making actual marketing as entertaining, sure as the reality itself. So I've been thinking about what needs to happen even as we build the No Selling's pod YouTube page. Sure, and the industry is in such a funky place, like you almost have to be a content creator as much as I have a disdain for it until the records kind of get going, Because once the records get going the way I figured out records, it'll be fine. But you it's like everybody's forcing you to work for YouTube or work for Twitter, or work for Instagram.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure.
Speaker 1: Is there like is there like a is there like a what do you think the trick to making money is? I have heard that, or like, is there like a simplistic idea.
Speaker 3: Of making money primarily sure?
Speaker 4: I mean like sorry, like primary income versus secondary income. Yeah, sure, yeah, I think on the primary income side, the trick is just.
Speaker 3: Listen to your customer base.
Speaker 4: Just just always be in tune with your customer base and not have any qualms about giving your customer base what they want when they want it, and try to predict, to the best of your ability, what they're about to want in the timeframe when you can deliver it. So if you know it could take you three months to deliver a thing, then center your prediction on what your customer base is going to want three months from now when that thing is able to be delivered, not later or not earlier or whatever else. I think that's kind of people who like don't have a great skill, but they just have entrepreneurial aptitude basically from everything people have known like that or read about or analyzed, they just have a great ability to find out what people want that they can give them and give it to them.
Speaker 3: And that's really it.
Speaker 4: You know, just know what people want when they want it, and match that to what you can give them that other people can't, or at a price you can give.
Speaker 3: It to them at that other people cannot.
Speaker 2: What you think? King?
Speaker 5: Damn, I was listening to Pe trying to give me a heads up in a secret or you know, figure out the money.
Speaker 4: I just said a big I feel like I just talked at a great, big circle of empty garbage.
Speaker 2: I mean, does it makes sense?
Speaker 3: As soon as I said, I was like, yeah, they made a lot of sense. That I was like, what did I say?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Giving people what they want is obviously very simply put, but it's makes sense.
Speaker 4: Well, some people are more preoccupied with trying to convince people that what they have to give is what they should want, and I think that there's a gap between those two points that can get pretty wide.
Speaker 2: Okay, but the question was again, say the question again, Lessons. What would be the secret to making money?
Speaker 5: I think the secret to make of money, or at least a part of the secret to make of money? I think what have to be visibility? You know, how many people can see this which you want to present to them?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: So I think part of the secret is visibility. How much can you make this product visible? People will be able to see it, so it's not just one being to me, that's a secret to make the money.
Speaker 4: This is kind of what I thought was interesting about that Bane article I sent you, which.
Speaker 2: You can see repeat so expand on it, police, I'll send it to you.
Speaker 3: It was basically just like what do tech company like?
Speaker 4: You know, A small percentage of tech companies ever hit one hundred million a year, and a smaller percentage of that group ever hit a billion a year, and here's what they focus on. And it was really more about trying to sell more to your audience really than necessarily innovate your way into some whole new market of consumers. In a nutshell, it the thing was like eight pages long with a crapload of analytics.
Speaker 3: And that was kind of all I took from it. But it was a sort of a basic strategy as defined by the outcomes.
Speaker 5: But you know, you know, it's funny that you say that because I go back and I complain about you know, Microsoft and stuff like that, because I remember by one time word and all those programs all came together on the computer. Now you gotta buy each one separately or in a package you can't even buy.
Speaker 3: You gotta subscribe to.
Speaker 2: Them like that. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like, so I'm listening to what you're saying, and I'm watching them do that to us, you know, started breaking it down to little things that we have to buy when it should be just one thing.
Speaker 2: Sure, and it was one thing.
Speaker 5: And then somewhere along the line they realized, you know what, we could break this free package down that comes with the computer and start selling to them individually.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why sell somebody a bottle of milk?
Speaker 2: Them?
Speaker 3: You can force them to subscribe to milk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after they already got used to drink the milk.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No selings live the lunch hour. Excuse me, no seilings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my brother, Peter Boss, I'm doing way too much content at this point.
Speaker 2: I got I'm doing way too much content at this time. It's getting fun, though it's not fun for me. It's getting fun.
Speaker 3: But changing ad to the King of content.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm loving it, Hey of content and the king of content. Hey Pete, watching this man transform in front of your eyes. Oh it's amazing. Oh, washing them go from one thought going into another thought by force? Oh man, Oh it's amazing. I never want to miss this right here.
Speaker 1: It's actually so the funny Party is that you think this is like a forced thing. It's a I have to choose, and I haven't really chose kind of what everybody thinks, because again, I don't think y'all really believe it. But when you start playing marketing, you're going to end up sucking a dick.
Speaker 2: You just don't believe that.
Speaker 1: Most people think, like I was listening to some guys that gotta it's.
Speaker 2: It's not cold water shocking at all.
Speaker 1: It only feels like that because everybody think they could get so much that they sold up so much, that they sold up until they decide they gave up too much. But it doesn't go with it. It doesn't go with the like, once you sell out, you sold out. I was watching somebody they have a podcast, and they were complaining about something another podcast was another podcast was doing and they were comparing themselves to people in the space and they were saying, oh, man, well you know this person is the biggest in the space. And I always ask people, well, why don't you do what that person does?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: Oh I ain't gonna do that, but you're trying to do what they like. You feel like you could do part of what somebody does and get where they're at. Does that make sense.
Speaker 2: It's like you can't sell out part where you got to sell out the whole way if you want to get what they got, If you want to get anything, that's the trick.
Speaker 1: So once you start playing the game, you're gonna end up sucking a dick.
Speaker 2: And I know that sounds crazy, but that sounds scary. It's not that this game, I mean, but it starts.
Speaker 1: With simple things, right, Like I always say, Puff did not think when he was entertaining and throwing these parties. He wasn't the centerpiece of the parties at first. He did them for the people that came to the party. Guess what he ended up doing party.
Speaker 5: I'm going back to the call, but I want to be in the l A sucking dick.
Speaker 3: I think. I mean, that's that's.
Speaker 2: That Nigga scared the ship out of me.
Speaker 4: That's a that's a blurb between like being customer oriented and being product oriented, you know to a degree. But if you're in business and you have an inventory, the goal is to sell it out.
Speaker 3: The goal is to sell it.
Speaker 1: And so once you start to sell out the inventory, that's when you start to lie to make people buy the inventory.
Speaker 2: Sure, right, So I tell King, it's two different.
Speaker 3: Well are you who are you lying to?
Speaker 2: It's co o.
Speaker 1: I right, it's two different. COIs is the traditional what is it? The capitalizing on ignorance or capturing capturing of imagination one or the other coy And the further you get you start to blur the line.
Speaker 2: The more successful you get, you start to blow the line starts, you start to blur the line.
Speaker 3: Well, what's the thin line between imagination and ignorance?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the guy's honest truth is imagination is rooted in ignorance because if you knew, you wouldn't have to imagine the hypothetical, you'd already know.
Speaker 2: To say to say. So that's what I'm telling King.
Speaker 1: Where people feel like like shout out to the homegirl, Barbie, Barbie used to feel like that, And I'm like, Barbie, like you got to understand.
Speaker 2: I know what comes at the end of this.
Speaker 1: Like that's why I look up to people like iced T, who was able to brand themselves a.
Speaker 2: Lot closer to reality.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like even a person like Snoop, like Snoop takes a lot of ship as far as marketing and branding goes. But to me, he's probably the the purest brand of it all. You're getting him for the most part.
Speaker 3: Sure, and he's a novelty like I would say, like.
Speaker 4: Of of of a more like modernish era like he and that are big names like he.
Speaker 3: He and Gucci are probably like really like what you see is what you get. But but Gucci.
Speaker 4: Can't sell eye level shelf stuff at the grocery store like Snoop.
Speaker 3: Can you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I probably would disagree with that.
Speaker 1: I think the corporations realize Gucci probably could sell baloney.
Speaker 3: Sure, it hasn't happened at this point.
Speaker 1: Sure, normally they don't bank on brands that pure or or that street urban.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like Dickies like that.
Speaker 1: I want to do something specifically with Dickies, But Dicki's is so scared.
Speaker 2: To bet on street urban? Are they really?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: Skater side of street urban?
Speaker 1: But if you ever notice, Dickies don't run nothing that caters in hip hop.
Speaker 4: That's I mean, that's true. I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying from their perspective, do they think that because Dickies does an ad campaign with hip hop that suddenly mechanics are going to wear what what's the alternative?
Speaker 2: I don't know if it's they worried about running off.
Speaker 1: They they the standard base as much as a level of how they look at street urban culture.
Speaker 2: When it comes to hip hop period.
Speaker 3: But to what end?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they don't want to be tied in with crips of bloods.
Speaker 4: I get that, I like, I get it theory, but I don't know who who are they sacrificing.
Speaker 1: But I'm with you thinking that they're missing something by doing that.
Speaker 2: But this is when I'm.
Speaker 1: Telling King, that's why the people that and that's why Dickies have has been so successful so long, right, it is because they stay true to brand, like my entry point. Like I never tried to sell crypt to them, you know when I was when I'm trying to do a deal with them, But like now I figured out something more in the drag race space that fits them. But I know that there's going to be a level of fear, like this little dude is a crypt.
Speaker 4: I think the way that maybe blur the two is sort of you know how those Modello.
Speaker 3: Commercials kind of work.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I've seen like somewhere they'll have like a like a tattoo artist or something like that or whatever where it's like a you know person.
Speaker 5: Who's yeah, like the barber shop, like the barber guy and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, We're like, I think the way to do it, like to present the thing to Dickies would be to have a lowrider something like imagery like the cars distinctly street urban culture, but the Dickies are being worn by the mechanic working on the car only totally.
Speaker 2: But I mean that's if you work for Dickies.
Speaker 1: Now what if you're branding, if you're pitching it to dickeys from Glasses from Blue Division.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Because if Glasses is wearing the Dickies as a mechanic, then they're seeing small business entrepreneurs in the mechanic space wearing Dickies. But you're still showing Glasses Malone working on a lowrider.
Speaker 2: Facts.
Speaker 1: So then that goes into the same thing of working a deal out with Mako to open in a Makeo or working a deal out with a Jiffy Lou and opening a Jiffy Lou.
Speaker 2: But I've been.
Speaker 1: Saying to y'all for years that this whole thing goes into. Like I think we've moved past the space of people being intrigued with, as they say, black gangsters.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know if my field movies do as well today either.
Speaker 4: Somebody just made one of that shit the best, so my money could be probably not so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's like now it's like moving into what gangsters do. Yeah, because I think people think gangsters are just like people who sit around all day and just be gangsters, as if that could pay the mortgage or pay for school's tuitions or anything else you do as a regular man, you know, as a gang member, as a man, you know what I mean, your livelihood. So one of the biggest things about the new album right that we finished is tying into something else, but really.
Speaker 2: Making it something special, telling what people.
Speaker 1: Want when they wanted, trying to pinpoint that moment. But and this is what I'm telling King, selling out for me would be to sell liquor. Sure, yeah, every time I'm on the verge of doing a liquor deal, I end up always pulling out bullshit. I know, but it would be I might as well sell sharp.
Speaker 3: Well, why can't no ceilings sell liquor.
Speaker 4: Because because I'm affiliated with it and liquor is affiliated with me.
Speaker 2: I think that would be excellent.
Speaker 1: You feel me, I think that would be I think that would be excellent.
Speaker 4: Now that's brand integrity facts fact.
Speaker 1: But now I have to get a deal for no ceilings to do a liquor versus glasses, I think, and I get We're expanding on this conversation again for the third time because I'm I'm figuring out exactly what can a rip sell and what can of crypt sells? Right in hip hop, right that people buy every day? Yeah, what fits like in theory, Yes, you could have a burger stand, but it probably would need to mean more because people not used to going to crypts or crips don't have a necessary connection to burgers, even though crips can barbecue.
Speaker 6: Sure, And again, like that's million dollar question really because I just answered it.
Speaker 2: I just well, we just answered it together.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 1: If we did a deal with Maco, the franchise of Maco, and we opened the Maco, right, all the commercials could just be low riders and Pete's right, you hey, yeah, but that's not the crypt part though, Well, the crip part.
Speaker 2: Is if you're wearing dickies and you this is your thing. Low Riders is crypt.
Speaker 3: It's like you're saying it without saying it, and that's kind of I think where it.
Speaker 2: Needs to be. No, you don't get it.
Speaker 5: No, it's not that I don't get it, but I see the inference you know of it, Like, Okay, I see what Pete's saying that you're saying that without saying it. But I thought you meant just saying it, you know, without being slick. Sure, Like what kind of crypts say without you know, being slick about it. That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 4: It's like, instead of no ceilings, we have to have the marketing campaign called no files or everybody knows your crypt except the police.
Speaker 1: It's weird because that's the blessing to me of a Snoop Dogg when it comes from marketing and Brandy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they want him to be a crypt. So you just waiting for it to crack through so.
Speaker 3: That they don't want to say it.
Speaker 2: Huh, they don't want to say it. No, they actually be what him to say it?
Speaker 4: Now him?
Speaker 1: Like That's why I'll be telling people this dude movement is a combination of wisdom and flat out God. You could tell God loves because specially Yeah. And I think he's honestly, he's a really good dude. Like every nigga got their own this shit. But he's trying his best to be in that position that he's been in for thirty years, you know, thirty two, thirty three years. I think he's doing a really great job of not losing himself. I think there's times where he's kind of straight off of the path, but I don't I don't ever recall a time where he let go of God or crippen.
Speaker 3: Sure, I get that.
Speaker 4: And that just brings like an interesting discussion about where that selling out line is. I'm not cute. I'm not saying he's selling at all. It's not at all where I'm trying to point in this direction that that's.
Speaker 3: Not point, but he seems to.
Speaker 4: If I just stepped like I said, I've never met that, I never talked to him syllable in my life.
Speaker 3: If I just step back.
Speaker 4: And look at all the stuff that he does and has done, it's so like a random number generator, so to speak. At times like Okay, I get a Corona ad campaign, I get that to spring Martha Stewart cooking show tandem out on you. It's like that popped out of one of those like like a jack of the box surprise, you know what i mean. Like it's ultr random, and I'm sure the process wasn't random, as he's doing it in real time, but it's like just Joe media consumer. I'm like what you know what I'm saying, But like.
Speaker 2: The way he does it makes it America's crip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's it's not what he does, it's how he does what he does.
Speaker 1: It is not necessarily again and I don't want to take them from what I think he's doing, but it's a lot more to do with like a level of discernment on his behalf, wisdom on his behalf, and straight up just being blessed.
Speaker 2: Sure. The fact that Martha Stewart fell in love with him.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't get me wrong, I think if Martha Stewart met Snoop Dogg, she would fall in love with him because he's a he's a you know, a cool guy.
Speaker 2: But the fact that she even allowed that.
Speaker 1: It's people who are scared to meet with me based off of my brand, and I mean they fuck with me, but tell you, like, man, I don't know, man, he's a crypt.
Speaker 4: I'm just looking at on the other side of the of the TV screen Like it's not real easy. And that's what makes it so almost like he took it as a personal challenge. I'm gonna go do a cooking show with Martha Stewart and I'm gonna come out the other side of that as a valid crypt by Brandon, That's that's almost like, you know, like I say, like a heat check when a guy shoots from forty feet out after his.
Speaker 3: It's almost like that, right, what can what can I persevere this through?
Speaker 5: You guys are forgetting his you know, we're looking at the crypt side of the thing, but we're also forgetting the other dual personality that allows him to not be so menacing is the weed side.
Speaker 2: The weed side is what allows.
Speaker 5: Him not to be so menacing and stuff is because of the weed side, and because he pushes the weed side and so that kind of tap tap tappers down the crypt side to.
Speaker 2: Where he's more you know, yeah, you went from he's partying and so so.
Speaker 1: If this is a marketing meeting and we're figuring out glasses, Malone for Glasses Malone, it has.
Speaker 2: To be cars.
Speaker 5: It has to be cars. It has to be cars. Because you don't smoke, you don't drink.
Speaker 2: It has to be cars. Like for Snoop not to have a dispensary is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Like, I think there's certain things that I could get off right, And this is where I'm saying, I haven't completely convinced myself of content, Like I'm not going to become a content creator. Yeah, but there are certain things that I do need to do to empower the No Selings podcast and the no Seling stream.
Speaker 2: While I am doing that.
Speaker 1: My biggest thing is I don't like doing something and not doing it well at a high level.
Speaker 2: So I got a question. Let me ask you this, is there a lot of car shows out there. Yes, there's international car shows.
Speaker 5: No, I'm talking about like podcast car shows, like content creator car shows.
Speaker 2: I mean, like a show about cars, because that could be your direction that you go into.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I think, but obviously, right, we were talking about hiring a publicist for the rapper Glasses Malons right to tap into that with one ten Giants and Glasses to market to a space outside of the traditional hip hop listener. Right, But we're saying, now, where is the business. If the business is selling what people want when they want it, right, then what do people want to buy from a crypt Right? And then you can add the fact that it's intelligent and start working it from there. But if you want everything to flow correctly, smooth, smoothly, an impact you give.
Speaker 2: Again, what people know about me is what I tell them or what I sell them.
Speaker 5: And I think the car industry will allow you to really because we talked about tires and rems and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that.
Speaker 5: But I don't think those are daily things, you know, But I think they'll create daily things if they're being sold on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're looking too far with that now. I'm not saying we should back away from a wheel company, no.
Speaker 5: No, not just using that as an example of multiple things in the industry. Oh okay, because I think you can sell a lot of different things.
Speaker 2: A trucker bar, a trucker bar, a Jiffy lou, a Maco.
Speaker 1: Those are things that people who are into the brand of glasses Malone can support immediately.
Speaker 2: We could have the best Maco in in hip hop in the world. Shit, I'm thinking sea covers and shit like that with you endorsing, and that's way later.
Speaker 1: I'm saying there are things in place that we could partner with people, yeah, and provide something that actually is a business on the daily.
Speaker 2: But I think your content should start going towards that. But that's not how it works.
Speaker 1: Like your content naturally goes to that, right, Like we have a whole double playlist of music that does cater that. But just because like snooping and when they made Dolly Staff, they didn't have to rap about being a crypt or say crypt to make content.
Speaker 2: It comes with the territory.
Speaker 1: Again, like Pete saying, if you showcase a lowrider in a Dicky's ad, you don't need a man Danny. You could wear a blue Dicky top, blue Dicky bottom, some blue chucks you ain't got to put no big laces in them, and some glasses and a low rider that say the same thing, like Pete saying, without ever seeing it, like it's.
Speaker 5: Real, a lot of lowrider shows going on, and where do you find that kind of information?
Speaker 2: Now who talks about it? And you know who talks about the low rider shows and when they going on and all that.
Speaker 1: Kind of stuff, I mean that's kind of known in the streets, but I don't think I think we kind of so let's.
Speaker 5: Let the world see that part of the streets then, like they try to see the other parts of hip hop, but that is what they see.
Speaker 3: I think they really see the other ports.
Speaker 2: They rarely see the shootouts. They don't see that. That's why it's so polarizing when they see it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think low riders and what the world seeing because I watched the other shows, you know, like meet them and all them kind of car shows they be doing, you know.
Speaker 2: Them, and auctions and shit.
Speaker 5: But I really haven't seen a real, like you said, real street kind of version that could kind of blend both of them together.
Speaker 2: But you don't have to. So that's something we could work on specifically.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying we could get into a meeting, we can get into into a seema, we could get into Bear Jackson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that'd be the direction that you should go, especially what pete.
Speaker 3: What is there a particular.
Speaker 4: Fluid or fluid additive of some sort that is unique to performance vehicles aftermarket?
Speaker 1: That too before No, so there's stuff that people kind of mess with, but it's not. It's not every day something simple like a gas station.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 4: I was just thinking like, like you know, you see that those fuel addeds that clean your whatever the hell something like that, Like if you could call it white lightning and do a brand partnership with that, so it shows up on the shelves that all the makos that would be located in the area where you think they would want that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe we need to be looking into the AI version of painting stuff. What you mean explain that they have like new machines that were robots are painting.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, got you like computer animated drafting of painting.
Speaker 2: But don't that take money? Yes and no. But so that's the trick.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: There's a company I'm invested in that is out of Pasadena that does the automated arm for fries and soda drinks. It would probably not be terribly hard to take their AI model and the same arm and have it just do painting instead of dipping into fries.
Speaker 3: Like that really wouldn't be that hard.
Speaker 2: The car company's probably already got those, the major car companies. I've seen them. Yeah, they But like we were talking.
Speaker 4: About a month ago, custom aftermarket paint shops.
Speaker 3: Probably don't have that.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with you. So I'm thinking here's where marketing starts to matter, right. So King's point.
Speaker 1: King's thing is like, man, everybody been wanting you to do this. Everybody also wants you to suck a dick, as long as they're not sucking a dick.
Speaker 2: I wish everybody else would suck a dick. I definitely don't want to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone else.
Speaker 2: You heard about these fucking diddy parts.
Speaker 1: Y'all know which, So why the fuck y'all ain't why y'all asking me out of everybody who got morals.
Speaker 2: And ship to do it? Y'all motherfuckers could not you.
Speaker 1: But other motherfuckers get drunk and go suck a dick and they blame it on being drunk.
Speaker 2: I just it's it's hard. I can't suck a dick. Dog, I just you got me scared. The road ends up. You can't bypass it, you can't skirt around it.
Speaker 5: Because if you start trying to play, motherfucker, Because if.
Speaker 2: You start trying to play in that arena, here's the path.
Speaker 1: If you start lying, if you start idolizing niggas doing boofast shit, you're going to be sucking a dick. And so when I'm looking at what's working right, there's the stuff that I think iced T does well.
Speaker 2: There's the stuff that I think Snoop does well.
Speaker 1: Even jay Z to his own thing, still fits his brand to me, he may sometimes not fit are you know, expectations of what we want him to be. But if you think of jay Z as is you know, this nigga that came from selling dope, he hasn't did one thing that has fucked the brand up. If he fits the brand, which is why I think he's never like short. He's never broken his relationship with his audience.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: He may have let you down on your expectation, but you know what I mean, That motherfucker is true to form, true to form.
Speaker 2: Doog sure?
Speaker 3: I mean his brand seems like just a serious, like serial hustler.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then I have to ask you, Glasses.
Speaker 5: You know, so when you first started out, did you think you had a brand when you first started in the music industry.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't know anything about marketing. Okay, so what was you selling? See these? That?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 2: To see these? To you?
Speaker 5: Was it?
Speaker 2: I mean? I told this authentic street urban cultural story.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: I didn't know quite what I was doing. I was just telling y'all what I was going through at that time when I started, and everybody knew it was real. It was talent behind it as a writer, because I'm a talented writer. At that time, I was a decent rapper. I'm probably a one hundred times better of a rapper, but I was always a really good writer and had somebody that understoods structuring records and making music.
Speaker 3: And you feel a good way of like.
Speaker 4: Making your voice sound a certain way and working to beat a certain way, just it intuitively as a.
Speaker 3: Rapper, like just jump onto like and that sound clut seeing shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't understand that at first versus now where it's like, oh I get it, and here we are, right. I'm like, I get even a problem with giving people insight into the street urban culture that we call cripping and blood in Los Angeles street urban culture.
Speaker 2: You know, they call cripping and blood. But they've had it now for forty years.
Speaker 1: On a mainstream level, so they feel like they're not there's no rush to see it. They feel like they see it right across the street from them, especially in hip hop. It's been spoken about now thirty forty years, so it's like, all right, I still have a version of it that when somebody hears the day like this shit he on is crazy, This shit that glasses lung guy on, this is deep.
Speaker 2: This is way more than anything else I've heard.
Speaker 1: You get nuances in what I do, but the business of entertainment requires that I make every element of delivering it as entertaining.
Speaker 5: Okay, next question I have for you, When did you start pushing your Crypt brand? I always been a Crypt. No, I said, when did you just start pushing your Crypt brand?
Speaker 2: Once I realized what branding was, then I cleared it up.
Speaker 1: I think every so since I put out East Side, and pretty much the world that listens to hip hop knew I was a crib.
Speaker 2: So that's pretty much where you put the Crypt brand front.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: No, that's when people realize I was a Crypt. I didn't know what I was doing, so I can't say I did. I didn't realize it until around twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: As team started pushing that. You realized you got a Crypt brand, you go push.
Speaker 1: Well, I realized, so I did these marketing tests and one of them is what is four things people know about you? And I kept asking people from all over the globe that knew me that were fans in my DMS. The number one thing everybody knew that was never confused at that point was I was a crypt.
Speaker 2: Nothing else.
Speaker 1: They knew that there was a consistent The number one thing they knew I was a crypt. The second thing that they knew is I was smart.
Speaker 2: That was weird.
Speaker 1: The third thing they knew and this was a weird thing because people didn't know I was from the West Coast. It was confusion. People didn't know that. So that's what made me realize, like, okay, I created this idea marketing, branding and marketing and branding called the four pillars. It's the four pillars of your brand. This is what makes your room. You build everything with this foundation, these four pillars. What's your four pillars that have lifestyles? So once I realized that, I cleared it up right, cripping West Coast gearhead car ship Intellect. Intellect is going to be hard for me to sell because a lot of people feel like it's counter. It counters being a cryp, like you can't be smart and a crypt Weirdly people think that, I don't know why. Shout out to the Oklahoma City Thunder for winning a first championship, Alexander.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Baby Sonics, my baby Sonics one. Oh no, he hold on, hold on, don't do this to me. Don't take my glory. The baby sons we birth don and I need.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 2: Very important birth for them. So back to what I was saying. So it's like it's like the it's like it's like the four the four pillars of in and out.
Speaker 1: Is is fast food, right burgers and fries, right West Coast, and then Christianity.
Speaker 2: They can't sell Christianity. Why, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's something that goes against burgers and fries and Christianity that I don't know. If people want to get God for what they buy, like they'll take it, but I don't know if they would buy Christianity.
Speaker 2: Can somebody sells burgers and fries.
Speaker 3: There's always this concern.
Speaker 1: They can't sell it. So that's the that's the fourth pillar to the brand that people respect. It's kind of like a foundational piece that you can't see that you have to kind of look down and stay around at it.
Speaker 2: You will find small things like they're not open on Sunday. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this seems like every especially over the last ten years, it's accelerated so much. But like every what are those people?
Speaker 4: Like every consultant firm in the country thinks that if your baseline's here, if you commit to something that might possibly be exclusionary. And christiananity isn't exclusionary in its nature, but not everybody's Christian. So I assume that they're being told aggressively if you try to over christian your brand, there are more non Christians that will disassociate from consuming your product than there are Christians that will, like newly start buying Hamburgers for the first time who didn't already buy Hamburgers before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at least that's.
Speaker 3: How I see it. I could be dead as wrong.
Speaker 2: Now let me correct that burgers and fries ration.
Speaker 1: Clean, healthy and clean good service Christianity, that's the four pillars, so they.
Speaker 5: Lean on it. But I think I think you know, I think right now, I think you you are really answered you right, you answered your own question about what it is, because just sitting here thinking about it, I think you know with snoop is like a weed crip. You know what I'm saying, that's what softened them up. I think racing crip will soften you up. You know where we give that events where your entertainment has to be overboard. If you got to go overboard or overboard in that direction, you know, because you could become the racing crip, you know, and that could be your brand because I don't think nobody else has that. That's a real crip that everybody knows, and I think that will soften your brand up tremendously of crip.
Speaker 2: Like he uses, I don't soften. I hate the time sore. I don't want to say it's good. You ain't got to change it all sensitive, right, But I think you can go that way as the raising crib.
Speaker 5: I think you could take over that whole category and do whatever the fuck you want without changing who you are, because you so intellectually smart when it comes to engines, cars, You're polarizing, so you can set things up, you can get these connections with all these people. I think you just never pushed that before, you know, nationally, Like hey, I.
Speaker 2: Thought it would be what I do after I finished rapping. No, I think you have to do that while you rap it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's what's going to make my my hip hop career successful entertainment.
Speaker 5: I think so, But I think you should be pushed that racing, the racing crib, you know, and you just do stuff about rape, you know, like just immerse yourself into that car industry.
Speaker 2: Like other people like like like what with your tea?
Speaker 1: Is a fashionable dope dealer, like a high fashion coke dealer.
Speaker 2: That's really the cornerstone high fashion. So how can you make some crip racing clothing.
Speaker 1: Not like that that's way off not not that are even if it starts, because we we had this first conversation about simple business, right, this is how you become a millionaire and five months Yeah, my.
Speaker 4: Concern was, like racing is it's fairly niche versus like just broadly speaking, a little bit bigger umbrella. Just custom like car customization. I think you could you could pair like that's because that's really hip hop. It could be a lowrider, it could be a dunk whatever it could be. But car customization is a little bit more custom cripping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: So it's inclusive of drag racing. It's also inclusive of donks. I like Yeah, that's all the same thing because.
Speaker 5: You street race too, because I remember the Netflix moved Netflix show.
Speaker 2: So it's not like you just show it, you actually race, but I've I've had.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, Like he actually raced. He actually raced motherfucking cars. Like the he's a racer too.
Speaker 2: But y'all all we all say the same thing.
Speaker 3: He right, whole ride.
Speaker 2: I've had g bodies, that's fast. You just did everything in the industry.
Speaker 1: So that's why he's right. It's custom CRP. Yeah, so I need to switch cripping from right here right and put crippen in the second pillar. And the main support pillar is custom or customers, custom coaches, custom culture. Sure, and every artist, I feel like, or people that want to start a business should figure out the four pillars of their brand.
Speaker 4: Okay, No, I was ticking in my head. There was a old clothing brand that was like a surf skate brand back when I was a kid that was like big in that world.
Speaker 2: About to steal the custom car culture. And I was like, I thought it was I had that name Pete.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmm, Hey, I'm trademarker custom car car culture already it's called custom culture.
Speaker 2: It's already big.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about the other one. I'm taking everything around that name. Sure people make a mistake, they gonna fallo in my lap.
Speaker 3: Just just just use the Chanel logo brand until they sue.
Speaker 2: You falling in your lap just starting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've done, I'm done. I'm not making another suggestion ever again. I want to in my lap? Yeah, yeah, I follow in my lap. I gotta watch what I said.
Speaker 2: Don't know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, Lord be important, right, because every artist is dealing with this, and because the business is handicapping people with records to make money. So then you have people doing a million different things, like it's funny we're saying this, but everybody jokes with a d and they call him a party crip.
Speaker 2: But I think he's missing something by not accepting that. M hmm.
Speaker 4: That's a perfect example what we were talking about earlier. Give the audience what they want. Don't try to convince the audience to want what you're trying to give them. If if the audience tells you you're this, you're this and for the purposes of that relationship, mm, because they've already decided for you.
Speaker 2: And your job is to fulfill it. Yeah, whether it goes your morals and character, this is the this is the only way to keep your morals and character. You know, you have to solve these things. But what if they want you to be something that you don't want to.
Speaker 3: Be, Like why you would have had to have done something?
Speaker 2: You would have.
Speaker 3: Had to have done something to make them want that.
Speaker 1: A d doesn't like the title party crip because he feels like it's a slack to him as being like it feels counterproductive, like he's not in the hood.
Speaker 3: Cripping, which yeah, like he only crips.
Speaker 1: For parties at parties or do get bitches. And it's like, but you missing something when you allow that to not be that means you're also fun cryp. That's like when people used to call me a smart crip homies to be a man, it gets smart, Like that's I'm missing. I didn't try to prove I was dumb. You maybe y'all dumb.
Speaker 3: And most crips that are associated with parties are hustlers.
Speaker 4: Why do they think that somebody would be a party crypt Probably because they're out there getting grinding, promoting parties, getting venues, packing them out and all the rest of it.
Speaker 3: For his sake anyway, I mean, like how many promoters like that used to do, you know, various things.
Speaker 4: After hours parties whatever, charge people fifty at the door off Western and sixty eight or whatever, all that shit down there and make up ten thousand bucks in a night, you know whatever they would do.
Speaker 5: Not. No, I'm just cracking up because you just made me think about the Smurfs and shit brainy party.
Speaker 1: Because because that's really, that's really because once you figure out your brand, do you understand your product?
Speaker 2: Yeah, once you figure out your brand, did you understand your product?
Speaker 1: And then storytelling it's not as hard like Pete saying, because you're already giving people what they want. One thing I've never had is people question my cripping. That's that's going to be the smallest thing I ever had happen. And truly, my cripping journey is worthy of being celebrated because I wasn't. I'm not like some of my homeboys who to me, they were born into cripping as far as like their parents was going through, Like they went through a different type of struggle.
Speaker 2: I didn't have that.
Speaker 1: So even how they saw their own life value that made them way more loose about doing anything. I had more reserves, so I had to rationalize everything that needed to happen. So it's different to build your reputation in that, you know, you go from being somebody who people felt like they need to look after to people like, oh, this nigga gonna look after us.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you a question, because.
Speaker 5: We know how gangs and stuff is looked on on the streets and stuff, how is it looked on inside the institutions of prisons?
Speaker 2: Should you be able to tell us? I'm just like, like, from your perspective, from like what you hear.
Speaker 5: From your perspective, is it harder being a gang in prison or is it easier or from your perspective.
Speaker 1: From my perspective, not what you heard or not from what I heard, but from my perspective of my ability to process what's happening, No, I think prison would probably be a simpler place to be a man. Okay, what I realized, what I believe about prison, or what I realize is that's really man shit at at his most primitive, and honestly, it's probably more sophisticated in prison than it is in the streets like so based off the people I know that went to prison, I never met nobody that went to prison that didn't come home smarter, like more informed.
Speaker 2: I mean, some of the craziest niggas come home in an know some shit. Oh no gee, nigga like.
Speaker 1: Even the niggas who wasn't reading as much them niggas talking to other niggas like niggas have more time.
Speaker 2: This is what I believe too.
Speaker 1: I believe the streets is so chaotic at times, and you be so disenfranchised and lack of opportunity that you spend so much of your time just distracting yourself from real problems. So you do dumb shit, you know what I mean, to distract yourself. But when you go to jail, not to mention. Also, when you're on the street, you gotta figure ot how to feed yourself, clothe yourself, all this so shit that could drive you crazy. When you in prison, a lot of your necessities are taken care of, so you have idle time, and then you really start to see who a man is when they have idle time. And that's why I think most of the brothers come home from jail more informed about something they can.
Speaker 4: You think it's fair to say that in that environment because of the concentration of space and time, it's I perceive it as like like an incubator of strategic human psychology. Like you can't avoid things very like you could kind of get into some shit on the streets and kind of duck out and slip out and kind of like run from your consequences.
Speaker 3: It's a probably much harder task to do that on the inside.
Speaker 4: Like do you get that sense of like strategic consciousness and reading people at an accelerated level in there?
Speaker 3: Or am I'm inventing that.
Speaker 5: I might be the wrong person that asked us because I viewed prison, I viewed the outside worst in prison and being in prison.
Speaker 2: Why you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 5: Like me, I don't believe in all the tough stories that people say when they get out of prison, because I've been in multiple prisons from the state to the Feds across this country.
Speaker 2: I've been in riots. I've been in all kinds of shit started riots. I understand how this works.
Speaker 4: For me.
Speaker 5: Man for me, when I look at the prison system and I look at gangs and I hear glasses talking, it makes some things understandable because I've seen some people come out of prison and come back to gangs with the superior reputation that wasn't like that in prison.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got you.
Speaker 5: But you know what I'm saying it because so the journey of a cryp. When you saw about the journeys of a crypt, I was just thinking, well, what about the journeys of a crypt that go into prison?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and tell you why he come home.
Speaker 1: So that's a subconscious thing, but I figured it out talking to enough homies and picking them. Everybody respect a man that's being held accountable. So if you go to jail and you don't actually tell or do nothing, no bust or shit, You do your you walk your time, everybody respects you being a man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But see, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like me personally, I seen shit in prison that I don't say about motherfuckers on the street that I seen them do in prison, that this shit is weird. And I see him come on the street and have this other persona while they was up in prison with a whole different persona. And for me, that's why I say I'm different because I've been through things and I've seen things I've been challenged, I've been tried. I've been all that shit and made it through, you know, twenty years of prison. And so when I look at this, he's talking about the journey of a crip and what he been through, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Just thinking, like, okay, have me thinking about my life? And then I start thinking about all the journeys of crips and the authentic part of being a crip. And that's where the question came in.
Speaker 5: Okay, well about these niggas that go to prison and then they act like this and that and they get back out like they're super crip or something. But in prison, it wasn't like that, and most of them niggas ain't getting out to tell the truth.
Speaker 1: That was a twist on my That was a twist on I didn't know that's what you meant, But I thought you meant brother just went down.
Speaker 2: You mean lying, that's what you say.
Speaker 5: That to become who they are, Like you say, they gotta lie to become who they are, to become this, you know what people want to see and hear, you know, and right now, this is this prison thing is really pushing Like I'm just sitting back like damn this shit is a lot. Like you said, your morals and characters have me not really speaking on this shit because like I feel like an expert in prison, like your history, you know, like a historian on you know, cripping in la and stuff.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm a historian on prison. I've been locked up since seven, since I was seven years old.
Speaker 3: Yes, I wouldn't push back on that. When you when you had.
Speaker 2: Gotten out from doing that, you're qualified thing that it takes a total.
Speaker 3: To go from kindergarten to a PhD.
Speaker 2: And I got me an AA degree in prison.
Speaker 5: So I understand the transition of becoming smarter and stuff, because yes, I see brothers going there and become smarter and stuff, but once they come out, they're not the ones that's really running back to the streets.
Speaker 4: Like you had one block of time that was pretty significant. If memory serves.
Speaker 2: Like I had two blocks of time that's pretty significant. Sure. Sure I did tend in the fans, attend in the state.
Speaker 3: Okay, I got you, got you. I did like twenty and then like.
Speaker 2: Five ten back to back you oh, back to back, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh gotcha. I thought there was a time my question, but like when you when you got out.
Speaker 5: I got out on parole and caught a fan case like two three months after I was on parole and I got violated back to the state. And then after I did like my violation the state, then the fans came like two years later and got me when I was supposed to get released from the state, and they got me on my release day because I maxed out at the state when.
Speaker 4: It was all said and done, Like that's a significant time lapse. When so when you came out, you were talking about people coming out and having like an elevated status once they get out based off of.
Speaker 3: Him having been in there.
Speaker 4: Did you have much of a relationship with like I say, like you know, like once a crypt, always a crypt, But like did you have a relationship with like that world.
Speaker 3: Or that or did you kind of just like, look, I I need to go do something or you know, how did that.
Speaker 2: Go for you to talk about when I got out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like when you got out, were you still.
Speaker 5: Like okay, like I'll never not be a cryp, Like I'll never not be that and I've never denounced being a crypt.
Speaker 2: But when I got out, I wanted to put cripping in a better light.
Speaker 4: Gotcha, Gotcha, we should go back to like your same neighborhood and have fan fare from like younger people who.
Speaker 5: Teach them, teach them a different way, because, like Glasses is saying, crips don't just do bad things, We just are in a bad situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I'm saying, that we got to survive on.
Speaker 5: So for me getting out, I'm learning, like, Okay, I see where I come from, really smart people, they're really artistic people. The fucker's building engines at twelve years old, and shit, I seen you know what I'm saying. So for me, it was about, Okay, how could I make cripping be pleasant in people's eyes? How could I make cripping be okay acceptable where people's not scared because you're a cryp? That was my mindset when I came out of prison, Gotcha, was to bring that, not that I, oh, I'm not gonna be a crypt no more.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna show how crips could be great.
Speaker 4: And I also didn't know if like over that time lapse, like if people like I said, I don't know the Tacoma landscape at all, but like let's say hypothetic, like you went back to the same geographical space. There might not be many people around there that have a relationship with you after that kind of Oh, I got a.
Speaker 5: Big family up there, and I got such a good reputation that most places they gonna roll out the red carpet, gotcha or the blue carpet in my case.
Speaker 2: Sure, you know what you're asking me, Pete, And this is the thing, and this is really important. Bro Okay.
Speaker 1: People do blame their neighborhood for what they go through. It's a It's a lot of people I see online. Charleston White is one of those people on him. Whack to me, blames his community for things that they've been through.
Speaker 3: That's not what I was trying to ask.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I'm gonna get to your point.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when they come home from because Whack is one of those people to me that you could see he came home, smarter, came home, started the trucking business, got his life together. But I think there's a level I've heard my homeboy, Rick Rock to me kind of is like that. And the way they see their homies is different. What you mean, like they I think they kind of blamed the circumstance for why they.
Speaker 2: They don't see their homies greatness.
Speaker 3: You mean they see them as responsible for why they did what they.
Speaker 2: Did, Yes, versus you me.
Speaker 1: Some people, we understand that we were We had a choice and we did what we did and then we got in trouble. We were held accountable. We might blame one person that's on our case. We don't blame the community itself.
Speaker 5: I just want to go help the community and fix it because it's a circumstance that I put us in situations that we do the best we can to survive.
Speaker 1: But everybody else don't. Necessarily, I've noticed it's not just them. It's a lot of people that blame the commune unity for how they are. Wow, And don't get me wrong, you do it is a jungle, but you also have to be accountable for being in that jungle.
Speaker 5: It's so funny that you say it's a jungle because as a kid, I used to think I was the real Tarzan, you know from Africa, Like I was the real Tarzan and shit walking through the coma and like you know, like it was a real jungle and shit. That's why you think that because as a kid, I used to act like the coma was a jungle. You know, that's just that's funny. Well, I gotta do it. King is Tarzan, he can't go to jungle bungle.
Speaker 1: And looking out for tuning into the Note Sellers podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, comment, and share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA and produced about the Black Effect Podcast Network and now hard Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah