Speaker 1: Loka to a Radio is a radiophonic novella.
Speaker 2: Which is just a very extra way of saying a podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm diosa m.
Speaker 2: And I am Mala Munos.
Speaker 1: Lokatra Radio is yr Brima's favorite podcast, hosted by us Mala and Viosa.
Speaker 2: We're two ig friends turned podcast partners, breaking down pop culture, feminism, sexual wellness, and offering fresh takes on trending topics through nuanced interviews with up and coming LATINX creatives.
Speaker 1: Known as Las Lokatas, Las Mammis of Myth and Bullshit and Las bocass Prosas. We were podcasting independently since twenty sixteen, but joined iHeartMedia's Microtura network in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: This year, we're continuing to share stories from the LATINX community. Barto el Mundo.
Speaker 1: Welcome to season eight. Are you listening, Ola, La Loka Modes, Welcome to season eight of lok Atra Radio. I'm Viosa and I'm Mala. You're tuning in to Capitolo one ninety.
Speaker 2: Last time on Locata Radio, we discussed estrangement in the LATINX community with LCSW Violetta Fernandez, Go Ahead and tune into that episode. Let us know what you think. It was a heavy episode. We want to hear your stories. Make sure you leave us a review, Leave us a comment on one of our clips, either on Instagram or TikTok, and subscribe to lok at our radio and share with a friend.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, tune in to all past one hundred and ninety episodes if you haven't already. We are chugging along close to two hundred and I cannot wait to reach that next milestone. But in the meantime, in the meantime, more episodes, more, more more content. If you will to talk about so today, what are we talking about, Mala.
Speaker 2: We're talking about girly things, just girly stuff, all things girl, girlhood.
Speaker 1: Girls.
Speaker 2: I think we're just like the it people last year, especially on social media, everything is.
Speaker 1: Girl math, girl dinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're girls. We're gonna put our hair up in a messy bun and pull out two little pieces of hair at the.
Speaker 1: Front, exactly.
Speaker 2: We're girls. We're gonna ask for a little bite of your food. We are, We're girls. We're gonna have a nice coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean. And it was also the year of Barbie, the year of Greta Girwog, Yes, the Year of Margo Robbie America Fera. I mean just a ton of women, right, but also just women talking about girly things for lack of a better word, and just their girlhood in general. And so we wanted to talk about why we think that's happening and also reference an article that analyzes why they think this is happening too.
Speaker 2: I do think that we've done We've done this, yeah, you know, over the years, as trends come and go, as girls blow up online, as conversations about womanhood and girlhood happen. I think we've dipped in and out and we've sort of tracked this. And I think it's really interesting where we're at right now because with TikTok being such a visual platform, so much video, I think you really have like everyday girlhood like display on display in ways that I think are newer for us. You know, not just film, not just television, but it's everyday literal girls, you know, creating their channels and their personalities and their content, and it gives us a lot to analyze and pick apart in many ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think what we've now reached the point of our adult life where there are generations that have only known the Internet. We were on that cusp of like we remember the time before social media, but then we were very much quick to learn it and be able to use it and then create whole businesses off of social media. And so I think that we have that kind of limbo in between where we can see both. But like, of course, the newer generation just based on when they were born and how they've grown up. When they've grown up, they've only known the Internet. They've only known TikTok, they've only known Instagram, Facebook, and maybe not even Facebook, right, Instagram and TikTok probably only.
Speaker 2: Right, I think too for us, because we were hybrid online offline, you know irl url, like as kids, I know, a significant part of my adapting into womanhood, Like I spent my girlhood like analyzing examples of women. You know. I remember on Tumblr, I used to follow this account curves and color that I loved. Of course, growing up, there were a lot of like girl led TV shows I think of, like the Amanda Show. I think of Amanda buy and I think of Hillary Duff and the Lizzie Maguire Show, And I think of raven Cima Moone and that's and the list goes on and on and being on Mice Mace, you know these places, there were these visual cues and lifestyle cues and things of like, oh, okay, so when I'm a teenager, this is what I do. When I'm a woman, this is what I do. And so I think it's always been there for us, and the question is, now, how has it evolved?
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. And The Cut published an article back in December of twenty twenty three titled woman in Retrograde and it's written by Isabelle Cristo and we will link it in our show notes so that y'all can read it, and she does her own analysis of the marketing. Basically, she's really looking at the marketing of giralliness, girly things, and how women are spending a ton of money to kind of reinvest into girlhood and thinking about why is womanhood so unappealing? And well, there's a ton of reasons actually that womanhood can be unappealing. I mean, it can be very scary to be a woman out in the world. I really appreciated her analysis, but I think that there is some perspective that we can add to it based on our positionality as in the women that we are. That for me that I think was missing from this article that I think was really great, but I think there was some stuff missing totally.
Speaker 2: I think. So the article is talking about like a what is girlhood? Like what period of time is it? There's a girlhood and then there's a time when you're no longer in girlhood, you're not a girl anymore. And something that the author talks about the thing about girlhood is that it's a before time, before puberty, before life, and importantly before feminism. Although in reality girlhood can be pierced by the politics of the adult world, it's a period that precedes those choices that feminism has always concerned itself with, like marriage, child rearing, career building, homemaking, sex, sexuality, and caretaking. Girlhood is also a time where we're free of those constant quen of those choices. So what she's basically positing in girlhood, we're not our full selves yet, we're not fully realized, we're not fully human, and we're not fully sort of obligated to fulfill you know, like these staples of womanhood.
Speaker 1: Right, And it makes me think about the episode that we did last season where we titled are the Girls Okay? And we were talking about the decline of feminism, and so I can kind of see this this overlap of we don't want to kind of concern not we the general we we don't want to concern ourselves with feminism because things are intense, like row versus way it was overturned. Maybe there's less importance put on feminism as an ideology, as a movement because there's no real movement in the same way there was before. And so we're gonna actually lean into girlhood because it was before this complex time where we had to concern ourselves with feminism. I can kind of see maybe there's an overlap there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. In the past, we talked about the trad wives trend that we've seen on ti and again a lot of this is now going back to TikTok. We used to say on Twitter we saw this, but now we're seeing Twitter is dead, so we see a lot of I guess, you know, just viral social moments are happening on TikTok, and this sort of sub section of TikTok users who like their trad wives and their whole thing is like I want to be like little house on the prairie in my garden, not caring about the world, Like my husband's going to take care of me. I'm baking fresh bread for my kids. None of them are vaccinated, you know, Like it's they're very like back to the earth like and that sort of a thing has its like roots and a type of like crysto fascist, just like white supremacists like nuclear family. Absolutely, and so we talked about how they're on. What we were seeing is like content creators really romanticizing this idea of the trad wife. And then of course what ends up happening is like very young content creators, like young girls in girlhood also sort of like romanticizing that idea. Yeah, you know, like we're girls. I just want to be taken care of. I don't want a job. I just want to frolic with my silly little bows and my cottage corehouse and thought that, you know, and not to call these girls silly, but these are this is the language we use, Yes, you know, my silly little iced coffee and my silly little this and my silly little walk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like reductive of and I think this is also like sorry, it always ties back to capitalism, like we're like grasping for some type of like joy and some type of escape because capitalism is so awful. And so it's like I need a silly little walk for my mental health because I'm being worked to the grave or whatever that it may be for you, or I'm being exploited at work and I can't pay my rent and we're in a housing crisis. I'm gonna go get my silly little iced coffee.
Speaker 2: Totally, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think that we use this language, like this diminutive language, because in a way, it makes us again the generalists, right when I say us and we, I mean like, this is the pop culture. This is what's happening. This is the culture right now. It makes us feel less alone or less like it's less intense, Like well, actually what we're facing is really intense right now. There's a genocide happening on the other side of the world, and life has continued to go on for people in the US, and so we can cling to the ways that were like things are are little and cute and girly.
Speaker 2: It also makes me think of like remember a few years ago, all the big conversation everybody was having was like, women need to stop saying like and don't have an upward inflection at the end of your sentence, and don't do this, and don't do that, and don't do this, And there was some other author I should have pulled it up, But there's an article out there where basically this writer was like, stop picking at women and the way that they talk and everything that we do, like, leave us alone. So with the cut article and things like this, part of me also has that response me too, Yeah, like let us wear our bows, Yeah, let us if the girls want to be coquette, like, let them be coquettas, like if they want to dress like in like ruffles and ballet corps, like who cares? Like, leave the girls alone.
Speaker 1: That's how I felt when I I like, that's one of the reasons I said it to you when I read it, because I thought like, Okay, yes, I see this, and I think we should talk about it. But also that's where I feel that that I feel like the author and I looked up the author. She looks like a white woman, you know, and so I think her picture of girlhood that she's describing is white girlhood, right, and so there are you know, you girls of color that are denied girlhood. There are young girls of color that are made to grow up quicker for various reasons. And so then that's also another side of why I see adult women tapping into like girly things, right. I see this like, connect with your younger child, your inner child, connect with your younger self and nurture her and take care of her because she needs you. And the work that you're doing now is to heal that part of you that maybe wasn't taken care of. And I think that that more holistic approach for me is what's missing in that article where it's there's more nuance, I think, because I think what we should be asking is like, well, why are a grown adult women actually identifying with like girlhood and the girly things? You know what? For me, that's what's missing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I As I was thinking about this episode on the way over here on the topic, my question to myself was, how has my womanhood actually how does it actually differ from my girlhood? How different is it? And then I break it down and I'm like, honestly, it's not that different in many ways, Like I still like a lot of the same things that I like to do when I was a little girl. I still loved doing those things with some of my same friends that I experienced girlhood with. Like we carried those things that we loved and we bring them into our adult womanhood because it's femininity in some ways, you know, And we were like we experienced femininity as children, but it stayed with us and evolved and grew with us, and so we can still sort of appreciate the same things. Like I started thinking about, like, Okay, what did I like to do when I was a kid. We loved to go to the mall and shop. We love to go to Clare's and get all kinds of costume jewelry and accessories and piercings we were not supposed to have. We loved glitter and lotions and body spray, sweet pea of course, oh iconic cucumber melon, Yes, all that stuff, you know what I mean. Like roll on lip gloss. We loved a shiny lip. We love to look like our were covered in saliva at all times, and in some ways we still love that, you know what I mean. Wanting to wear nail polish in school when you're not allowed to, you know, as little girls, like we wanted to wear makeup, we wanted to do our hair. I was crimping my hair, I was straightening my hair because you just want to engage in those You see these examples of like rituals of femininity, and you incorporate them into your girlhood. You're like practicing. So you know, I know there's a lot of criticisms of like girls today, Oh my god, they're like in Sephora, they're buying skincare or whatever. We had the next closest accessible thing to us. We were buying those products and putting them on our faces. Like we would have sleepovers almost every single weekend, and our favorite thing to do was a face mask with the girls. You know, we didn't have like Sephor and Alta and all that stuff necessarily, and skincare was not what it is now, and other kids were not marketing skincare to us. But today, like that's what's happening. Yeah, Like the girls are responding to what's being marketed to them, and there's just more than what we had.
Speaker 1: There's more options, right capitalism, and then there's more visibility and access to it, and what I've been thinking about too, is like it's very much cyclical, Like I think the of any generation, like the adult women are reclaiming girlhood or reclaiming parts of themselves, while the young girls are like buying the drunk elephant skincare. The young girls are trying to be older. And I think that that's not new. That's like all of us. When you're a young girl, you want to be older. Everything is better when you're older. And then you're older and you're like, oh my god, this is terrible. Get me out of here. Take me back, not to middle school, but take me back to a time right and have so much responsibility or things just felt brighter, newer, shinier, you know, take me back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so fascinating. Yeah, And I don't know, I just I also think, like I think about any period of my life as a child or as a young person, and I actually can't pinpoint a time where I'm like, yeah, definitely take me back there.
Speaker 1: No same here, Definitely don't take me back. But I think that's like the beauty of them being an adult, right, is that you can pick and choose, like, oh, this was really nice. I loved Hello Kitty, I loved having sleepovers with my friends. Actually I wasn't allowed to have sleepovers, but so I'm going to have sleepovers now, you know what I mean. And it's like picking and choosing those things that were really nice about being a young girl and keeping them and now as an adult and intentionally doing them and having these rituals for yourself. And going back to what you said about femininity, I also feel like there is just a lack of awareness of like fem identity, right, and then femininity as praxis as power. And so again I think like we're hating on We're hating on things to hate on them. This is also like a result of a larger like cultural shifts happening. Yeah, And I've been thinking too, like as millennial women, right, we're no longer the target audience. Gen Z is like slowly will not be the target audience. It's gonna be like Jen Alfa, yeah eventually, right, And so I think like as we get older, there's you know, some of us that maybe want to stay on trend, and so we're going to like wear the little bows or whatever. And I think this is the first time where we, as the millennial dead generation, are like, oh, we're not the target audience anymore, right, right, And how does that feel?
Speaker 2: I feel relieved, because yeah, stop targeting me. Like it's too much attention, it's too much pressure. And it's an ever evolving thing. You know. The trends like they're micro trends, all of them, and so they're here for like instead of being here for a decade, there was you know, like you can say, oh, the sixties fashion, right, an entire decade of fashion that had a cohesiveness seventies fashion, eighties, nineties, even even two thousands at least ten years to solidify a trend so that it like stands out in the history books. Right now, it's yeah, the trends last like six months to a year if that.
Speaker 1: If that, the micro trends are definitely like quicker. Right. So again, like this is a product of over consumption and capitalism. Yeah, and part of it fueled I think by social media and this like wanting to keep up with what the influencers have or what my friend has, I want. I want that same product so that I can also have the gurly thing and the gurly life and the romanticized notion of like this is what my life should look like.
Speaker 2: It's exhausting, you know. I don't envy that, And that's part of the luxury and the joy of like being an adult and being in your thirties is I don't miss it. It sounds exhausting to me. I don't have the strength, I don't have the energy, I don't have the time, Like I just don't have it in me, you know. And I also just want to say, we're always we love to pick on little girls. It's our favorite as a society royal we like from Brittany to the Olsen Twins to on and on and on and on and on Amanda Bynds. Like I mentioned earlier, like people are always picking on little girls and like little girls also just as a group. Oh yeah, even thinking about like okay, like some of our favorite boy bands, or like even like a comedian like Matt Rife, right where everyone like, oh, will you make music or you tell jokes for girls? So it's trash. Oh well your audience is just teenage girls. Well, the only person who likes what you make her teen girls Like they're an unworthy trash demographic, right, who don't count?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the misogyny, Like I see that with Taylor Swift and like, I'm not a Swiftie, but I respect what she's done and how like her fans are global like the Swifties. I think I respect that as an artist. And I see it and I'm like, okay, there's a nod there, right, I see it. I respect it. But there's like this deep misogyny of wanting to downplay like her as an artist because her demographic are teen girls or young women. And so I definitely I agree with what you're saying. Anything that the girls like is like frivolous. It's like annoying. Yes, it's like what It's not important. It's not as like respectable.
Speaker 2: It's not it's like not true art, and which is interesting because I think you're after your thing after thing, time after time. Like girls, teen girls push products, yep, they push movements, they push trends.
Speaker 1: Yes they do.
Speaker 2: They make things financially successful and like box office hits. If the teen girls are behind you, Like, if the tween girls are behind you, you're gonna your product is gonna do well. You're gonna have a long, illustrious career.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And I would also like to say, why are we picking on the boys. Let's pick on the boys. Yes, what are the boys doing that where we need to write think pieces about that we need to be concerned about.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're being indoctrinated into alpha males, Like those are the things we need to be actually talking about and paying attention to.
Speaker 2: Like violently red pilled and shooting up schools. I started following this mom, and it brought me down, this ret girl, I've been on this rabbit hole of mothers who are like very vocal and outspoken and just very plain and straightforward on TikTok that they have sons who are minor children who are violent, you know, Like I follow this one mother who talks about like her one son. I think her handle is general education. When her son was nine years old, he got his first like run in with law enforcement and got like an arson charge because he set something on fire at his school. And then she and she's like talking about this in great detail because she's been dealing with this for years now with her son. Then her son gets a charge for assault for trying to attack a teacher. Then he gets another ars in charge, and then she's going down the list of his charges through the juvenile justice system. From the time that he from twelve to fifteen years old, he's been in juvenile detention or placements, and like the hospitals can't keep him because he's too violent for the hospitals, and they try to send him home, but he attacks the mom and the sister, so they send him to juvenile detention and they can't, you know, like there's nowhere for young men like that to go when they're exhibiting those types of behaviors. And I bring this up because then I start to notice that this mom is actually part of this kind of community of mostly women, who are saying, I have a son who has been diagnosed with whatever. He's been diagnosed with different types of mental illnesses, childhood mental illnesses. My son is a sociopath. My son is a psychopath. Like clinically, he can't be in the house. He's too dangerous. He's going to be in prison for the rest of his life. There's nowhere else for him to go. We can't control him. We've tried everything. He's on lithium, he's been in therapy since he was six, you know, he's in placement. And I see things like that, and I and what those moms have taught me, because what they're talking about on their channels is that they're keeping these Most families who deal with something like that, they keep it very quiet, They keep it very hush hush. We talk about it because it's scary and it's sad and it's shameful. Right, But when we talk about things like toxic masculinity and how it starts like at a young age, where it starts at home, I'm like I see content like that, and then I see the girls just like like, oh, here's my ballet core, get ready with me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm just like.
Speaker 2: Bro, can we shift our focus? The girls and their.
Speaker 1: Bows are fine, They're gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: Let them frolic, let them be coquette, let them be toombet, whatever it is they're calling themselves, you know. But like clearly there's like people over here like crying for help because the boys, the counterparts are like not doing okay, like in the grand scheme, girls are kind of doing fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know right. Yeah. I also wonder me personally as a petite woman, I'm very terrified of the like coquette, Like that is not my aesthetic and that is not my thing because it's very it can be depending on who you are, it can be like very infantalizing, and then that invites a different type of audience to get me.
Speaker 2: I mean it has like it's very Lolita core, yeah, which you know Lolita you know why that's problematic exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's also like I think, I don't know, it's it's so layered and it's so nuanced, and I don't think it's enough to just be like the girls are in trouble. It's like, well, I think we need to ask ourselves why the girls are not okay, and also like maybe why the girls are maybe afraid of being adult women, or why the adult women are trying to like reclaim parts of their girlhood what was missing for them. I think there's just more nuanced to it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah. I mean it's one of those things where it's like for every human being, there's a nuance. Yeah, you know, so like for every girl there is a caveat or a different layer or a different level as to why they put bows in their hair. It's different for everybody. And then you know, I see people talking about like on TikTok, Well, if you're braiding ribbons into your hair, like that's a very indigenous it is like indigenous women practice braiding ribbons into their hair. I've seen folks, you know, post videos and shouting out like indigenous women from Ohaka, and so I think within like the Lattinang corner of this conversation, a lot of the Latina fashion girlies have been incorporating like ribbons braided into their hair, which is very beautiful and looks very beautiful. But then I've also seen in the comments like this isn't coquette, this is indigenous. Yes. Yes, so layer upon layer upon layer upon layer.
Speaker 1: Where there is internet, there will be discourse. Yes, is basically what it means. Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think this to bet subsect is really interesting. Jen from the block Yes has been doing her tumbette like core.
Speaker 1: I love to see it.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting. It's very cute because like coquettes seems to be like, Okay, this is storybook, it's Lolita, it's cottage core, it's like super it's ballet core undertones, and then tumbete seems to be all of that but meets like Butchona rancho Paisa. Yes, if you can imagine those things coming together.
Speaker 1: Just look at Gen from the block.
Speaker 2: She does beautifully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when she does it, I'm like, what, it looks amazing on her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she puts it all together.
Speaker 1: She styles it on herself. It looks fabulous. I could not see myself wearing that, but it looks amazing on her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know I could never. But Jen looks great.
Speaker 1: Jen looks great. She can do it.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I think that that also speaks to like, you know, of course style and how you style yourself, and then also like not keeping up with the trends, but creating your own style outside of the trends, because the trends come and go as we know.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, I don't know. Girl, there's so much. I've also been seeing so much Like there's like a ballet talk, you know, and on Ballet Talk they've been talking about how ballerina's back in the day, like especially in the opera houses and such, most of them, right, were like underage girls, and a lot of them were sort of being sort of forced into sex work, yes, you know, and that ballerinas sort of had that place in society. We don't necessarily think of ballerin as the same today as they were thought of and treated back then. But talking about the lolita and the infantilization and the ballet like it all sort of has kind of like murky, upsetting undertones and histories if you look far enough.
Speaker 1: Agreed, And I think that's why we have to talk about it. It's like, yes, the girls, let everyone do whatever they want, but then there's also like the cultural nuance behind it, just exactly what you're saying.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I think, as with all things girly in girlhood, there's no i'd answer, and there's no right way to do it, and no matter what you do, there's gonna be commentary. Oh yeah, and probably criticism.
Speaker 1: And that's part of being a woman.
Speaker 2: Actually, yes, it is. It's like you're always being perceived, you're always performing. Yes, if femininity is performance, then one is always performing.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's exhausting, it is.
Speaker 2: I am so tired. It's tiring.
Speaker 1: It's tiring. Here we are.
Speaker 2: Take your omega threes to get your calcium, take your magnesium because you're gonna need it. Honey.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's true, it's true. Well some food for thought today on look at our radio as always, you know, our advice is like, think about it, interpret it, analyze it, and then do what you will with it.
Speaker 2: Yes, do what's best for you. Yes, do it's best for you. And that's all. Do you boo boo? That's a throwback were we say that you boo boo? Do you boo?
Speaker 1: Not me? But that was definitely a thing I remember, not me.
Speaker 2: She's like, I have never said boo boo in my life.
Speaker 1: No, I have not. All right, y'all, thank you for listening to another episode of Loka to a Radio. We will catch you next time.
Speaker 2: Lokaa Radio a radio phonic Novela is executive produced and hosted by Me Mala Munos and Osa Fem.
Speaker 1: Story editing by Me Diosa.
Speaker 2: Audio editing by Stephanie Franco.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our locomotives, our listeners for all of your supports.
Speaker 2: Radio a radio phonic novela hosted by Mala Munos.
Speaker 1: And theos Fem.
Speaker 2: Take us to your network,