Speaker 1: Native Lampid is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: I wish you got some new headphones.
Speaker 3: Well what the hell? Anytime you feel like a.
Speaker 4: Boy, if you don't, oh.
Speaker 1: Turn And so today we are in full turtleneck protests because Bacari still.
Speaker 4: Got them raggedy and he got me in a mock turtle. That video a turtle next.
Speaker 5: So I would not be I will not be bullied.
Speaker 2: I will carry does not have on his turtle neck. But what we do is we have on our turn on next.
Speaker 1: So if just everybody at home, if you see this, please wear turtle next all week in protest, and til Bakari gets a new headphone, yeah, walk.
Speaker 2: Up to him and just say turn on that. Okay.
Speaker 1: This is episode one hundred and twenty five of Native lampod where we give you our breakdown of all.
Speaker 2: Things politics and culture.
Speaker 1: I'm your host, Angela Raie, joined here with my co host Andrew Gillian and Baccari Sellers and we are joined again by a sister friend, again by a machete and the virtual building. Nominated for What's Better Than One webby two for her podcast Undistracted, returning next Thursday. She is Brittany Pacneck Cunningham.
Speaker 2: Welcome britt Or.
Speaker 6: If you're nasty, if you nasty, period. I'm so glad to be back with you all, especially.
Speaker 7: On a day when I get to participate in Bookari Center.
Speaker 6: So thank you for much.
Speaker 8: Truly, truly, I was reading It's hard out here every since, every since we won that Oscar a few weeks ago.
Speaker 5: It just ain't been. It ain't been the same we.
Speaker 3: Who is we?
Speaker 9: How?
Speaker 4: Michael Michael Bokard, Michael.
Speaker 1: Michael Bokar, Jordan, you know this is getting underline stocker ish, It really is the facts, Michael book Sorry, Jordan.
Speaker 2: We're sorry for this man.
Speaker 5: Anyway, he's gonna say, he's gonna say, I don't know this man.
Speaker 2: Yes he is. He gonna do you like he did for his high from his high school.
Speaker 5: Oh that's right.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: Before we get into today's show, I just want to let you all know about a very exciting upcoming event. We have a live show Native LAMPI will be live at Atlanta at City Winery.
Speaker 2: Please tell your mama, tell your friends to go buy tickets.
Speaker 1: Who will be live at City Winery at seven thirty pm on the evening of April twenty. First, you can get your tickets through the link in the episode description or search for Native Lamb Pod City Winery, Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Buy your tickets so we know you love.
Speaker 4: Us, especially in Family Ratlers. We got a great alumni chapter up there. I hope to see all.
Speaker 3: In the building, y'all.
Speaker 8: Andrew, Happy Spellman nights. And I guess if you went to more House too, you can come through.
Speaker 4: Understand did you see you understand what you did?
Speaker 1: Go to spell them in a little bit too. But I'm saying absolutely, man, I bet, but car you don't have a little more enthusiastic for your alma mind.
Speaker 5: They be there.
Speaker 4: There's a difference that I went there and I graduated.
Speaker 1: I'd like to see I would like to see a fam you More House competition.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see if More rather show.
Speaker 4: Competition, we would not.
Speaker 5: That's not a competition, So who's gonna win?
Speaker 4: Well, that's not a question either, I mean, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 5: Not a real life people.
Speaker 8: Been thrown Yeah, they you know they apply and and struggle sometimes and go to family.
Speaker 1: If I'm sorry, maybe you're confused about what the competition is. I want to know whether more Fam You folks or more more House folks will be at our show.
Speaker 4: Never More House is based in I don't know the city any second place that they would have an impressive turnout, but I'm willing to put some money on it, and you will absolutely absolutely dominate the space.
Speaker 8: And I'm gonna only way that happens if Andrew buys all the tickets himself.
Speaker 4: I ain't buying.
Speaker 7: He said, it's going to be a cop party.
Speaker 2: Okay, well let's see that.
Speaker 4: Let's see there we gonna And of course, the only way more House is gonna be there and full effect is if what Oprah or what's what's the man Smith? Or who else underwriting y'all's education? I mean, he said, by the way, I.
Speaker 6: Think it's very good.
Speaker 2: It's okay. I'm gonna move on from this, but I do want this competition. So if y'all went to more House, show up.
Speaker 1: If y'all went to FAMI, you show up, Spellman Clark Atlanta, y'all.
Speaker 2: Show up to everybody.
Speaker 1: If there's there's any Seattle, you law school of Lumps, come to jub and Georgia.
Speaker 5: P W I for real, for really.
Speaker 2: It's a p B. I we're gonna do a roll call at the show.
Speaker 1: But now, y'all, because we got a lot of news, we're gonna get into it.
Speaker 3: Y'all.
Speaker 2: This news week has been crazier than that Duke yukon game ending. Let's roll that real quick by.
Speaker 4: The cut and run through the ball though better than the sky, get it into bridge and bashar ahead.
Speaker 5: Boozer that bought.
Speaker 11: The floor stolen bat Collins caravan two seconds tosses it up.
Speaker 12: We're poor.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: We talk about a Cinderella ending.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: That unfortunately is not how our news is going this week though, So for your situational awareness, we have a lot to get into. While the United Nations voted one hundred and twenty three to three, US, Argentina and Israel are the chumps that were confused and did not acknowledge that the transatlantic slave trade was the gravest crime against humanity. We still at some point need to discuss the fifty two abstentions, largely from European countries. But on another day, also a Trump appointed district court judge ruled against Evanston Illinois reparation program. Meanwhile, speaking of injustice, his former National Security Advisor, General Michael Flynn received a settlement from dj for wrongful prosecution despite being all up and through the Muller Report and convicted for lying to the FBI about his conversations with the Russian diplomat. He got a one point two million dollars settlement. Now we're gonna get into this is Briannam. The reason Christy lost her job is he compliment This man is the well I'm let me just get through it, y'all, y'all, let me still throw to it, let me talk, let me throw to it, then y'all jump in. So this man has been moonlighting virtually with sex workers. The selfies with balloon booths are the least of the issues here. He has been telling family business to folks he does not know. And can we say hypocrisy much? Let's look at what Christy has to say about these issues.
Speaker 12: Normally, in South Dakota only girls play girls sports.
Speaker 2: Why because of Governor Christy Nomes Leadershi.
Speaker 11: Christy Gnomes stood up for us, passing the toughest law in the country to defend female sports.
Speaker 4: So what happens with trans athletes?
Speaker 13: Well, if a trans athlete does make a sporting team and keeps a biological female from making the team. That biological female that missed out on the opportunity will get the chance to pursue litigation to play.
Speaker 11: There is a statistic circulating around right now that ninety percent of South Dakota's LGBTQ community is diagnosed with either anxiety or depression.
Speaker 5: Why do you think that is?
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 13: That makes me sad and we should figure it out.
Speaker 4: Is that a spoof for herself?
Speaker 1: No, that was really It turns out that she's actually a spoof now on this. I want to know what y'all think. This is a lot happening in the GNOAM household. Maybe it explains a little bit why she's dipping off with Corey Lewandowski allegedly, but I am curious to know what y'all's thoughts are.
Speaker 8: I do have one immediate concern about this that's been bothering me. And one of the pictures that I had to see of mister Brian though, the dog was in the back, and I believe that this is why. This is why I believe the dog got knocked off. I think the dog saw too much, the dogs, the dogs saw too much. She had to take it out. So I just want you all to know that nothing happens in a vacuum.
Speaker 4: Manager, Oh, I know it applies, yes, sir. My general thought is is I what people do in their private lives is their private business. The problem with all of this is this woman has made it a toward to forced cause to make the lives of lgb LGBT persons and very specifically transgender individuals that make their lives hell. And then wonders, actually partly I don't even believe her wondering, but wonders out loud, why it is that depression is so skyrocketted amongst the community that you targeted. It is not create It is not courageous. It's not bold to cast legislation, to pass statewide legislation and signing into law a law that affects what three people, two people in her state? Who does that? Who does that?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 4: I just, you know, I don't know the man. You know, God bless him for sitting through that hearing while you know, he had to hear all about the Corey of Lewandowski stuff while she was doing her testimony before Congress. But my guess is, you know, he probably kind of knows what the situation is she.
Speaker 2: Was telling the sex workers about it.
Speaker 4: I mean, all I'm saying is is I think they prepared each other for their respective centerfolds.
Speaker 7: I think that they both knew what was going on, and I think a conspiracy is a foot. Chall want to know what my conspiracy theory. I want to hear the theory allegedly. Okay, so here's my thing. They both knew what the other person was up to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 7: It ain't no way that you're the former director of Homeland Security and you don't know what's going on in your husband's text messages. Right, But this information got released right around trans Day of Visibility. And one of the main issues that trans people have with this country affirming their identity is that people always accuse them of being cross dressers when they're saying, no, this is my gender identity and expression. And so I feel like this got released. She knew it was coming, and she said, let me go ahead and put this out and continuously undermine the very community that I continue to rel Again, that's my conspiracy theory, and I'm very much sticking to it.
Speaker 4: I think one of his showns put it out.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but let me tell y' all.
Speaker 1: This this is only beginning of trans issues, not just in the country but in the world. International Olympics Committee banned trans women from competing. According to BBC, the IOC has not published the scientific research it based this decision upon, but has stated that at the elite level there is a ten to twelve percent male performance advantage in most running and swimming events, and that rises to twenty percent in most throwing and jumping disciplines and one hundred percent in sports such as boxing that involves explosive power. Again, they said this is their scientific research that they base their decision upon. The problem with their decision is this band doesn't just keep trans women out of sports. Let's hear from Olympic medalist caster Samenya herself.
Speaker 3: Of course, you always know it's nonsense.
Speaker 14: For me, like I said, I've mentioned that it's about, you know, women integrity.
Speaker 3: For you, as a woman, why will you be tested to prove that you fit?
Speaker 14: You know, It's like now we need to prove that we are worthy as women to take part in sports, not the disrespectful women, but for anyone.
Speaker 3: Everyone has their own opinion.
Speaker 14: But for me personally, say, why will you allow women to take part in sports if you're going to question them.
Speaker 1: And I'm surprised here Donald Trump is taking credit for the decision of the IOC. Last February, he signed an executive order that prevents transgender women from competing in female categories of sports here in the United States. He stated in addition that he would deny visas for any transgender Olympic athletes trying to visit the United States to compete.
Speaker 2: In the games in Los Angeles. What are you all thoughts?
Speaker 8: So, my fundamental issue with this is that politically, practically and legally speaking, I think it's more of a red hearing than anything else. I think it's a cultural war that Republicans like to fight. There are more bills filed in state legislatures across the country banning trans athletes from playing in sport. Then there are trans athletes playing in sport, right, So it's meant to get you riled up. And Donald Trump actually ran probably the most divisive, evil ingenious ad we've ever seen, well recent and recent political history, when he said, Kamala Harris is for they them, I'm for you. That ad pierced through and affected the conversation. It hit a message that they were honing in on, that they were hammering on. And what I don't see is Democrats fighting back on grounds they can win on. For example, all right, you want to ban trans athletes, why don't you make sure that you increase budgets for mental health young people who are struggling. Because although I don't see an increase in trans athletes playing sport, I do see the number of young people committing suicide rising daily. And no one's having that conversation. And so let's get in a room and hash this out, I think. But Democrats have to reframe the argument because right now they're losing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll pick up where you where you ended, because I think that's that's that's where that's the crux for me, which is, while you are one thousand percent correct around the advertising that was done, the red herring that Republicans flow, we still have to acknowledge that this shit is having impact in a diletarious effect on the community itself. Those you know, the parents. I mean, I think about the ways I agonize around. I would throw myself in harm's way for any one of my children any day of the week, multiple times, so long as I had non lives to live, right, think about the agony parents must go through when they're saying, look, I don't know about everybody else, but I know about my child. And when you do something that is going to put my child in harm's way, not your ability for your story to compete and compete with other athletes and whatever, but the life of my child, it just takes us to a whole you know, it takes us to a whole other level. And I'll just say again, whether Democrats get it on this or Republicans get it on this, we all need to get it on this, which is, there's nothing bold or courageous about attacking the smallest minuscule set of a population that exists in our society. Wh will we be creating countless laws going after the extreme minority of people in our community. I just think it is hateful and it's terribly harmful for the people that we're that they're targeting.
Speaker 7: I mean, these folks have always shown that their favorite target practice is the most vulnerable and the most marginalized, right, and that's exactly what we're dealing with here. But in addition to everything that's been said, I think it's important to note that so many black queer women who are organizers' activist writers have been reminding us that black women were never included in the definition of femininity in the West in the first place. So so much of the transphobia that goes against our trans siblings also comes against us. And it's exactly the reason why what Caster said to the African head of the IOC matters so much. That these are conversations that have to do with us. I mean, whenever somebody wants to say something about a black woman, what do they go for? Right, They go for our looks. They say we're too masculine, they say we're all of these things. They accuse former first lifelies of being trans, and I know we're going to talk about that in a little bit. These attacks have to do with us too, and when they practice it on the most marginalized, it's coming for us next.
Speaker 2: Well, and let's deal with this.
Speaker 1: Speaking of executive orders that are instigating fights where there is no battle, Donald Trump has signed two within the last seven days on voting, but he feels like he has an exception.
Speaker 2: Let's roll that clip.
Speaker 15: Tell me about mail in ballots going You may not use the mail in ballot. You probably said, yeah, I did, you know what, Because I'm President of the United States, and because of the fact that I'm President of the United States, I did a mail in ballot for elections that took place in Florida because I felt I should be here instead of being in the beautiful sunshine taking the.
Speaker 4: Last few weekends.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 15: And yeah, and I decided that I was going to vote by mail in ballot because I couldn't be there because I had a lot of different things. But you know, we have exceptions for mail in ballots. You do know that, right, So if you're away, we have an exception. If you're in the military, we have an exception. If you're in a business trip, we have an exception. If you're disabled, we have an exception. And if you're ill, if you're not feeling good. So I was away mostly in Washington, d C. So I used the mail and bell. But I appreciate the question because I know, I know it was so well man.
Speaker 4: You know here before the word who raised the questions there? Her brother was my intern for a number of years.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that shot.
Speaker 1: Elizabeth. Yeah, Land, shout out to Elizabeth. Okay, we're not done on this topic just yet. In addition to this, you all are clear about this, but this is Donald Trump's way around the Save Act in the event that it does not pass, and so he also wants to develop a nationalist completely traveling states rights. We're going to hear from Maya Wiley, who runs the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights.
Speaker 2: It's for the clip.
Speaker 16: I'm Maya Wiley, President and CEO of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights. And here's what we need to understand. Ever since coming into office, Donald Trump has been trying to make it harder for voters to vote. One of the things he has gone after is mail in voting. Many states allow it, and don't forget that's what an absentee ballot is. A mail in ballot. About a third of Americans vote by mail. And here's the thing. It really helps us black Americans to be able to vote. So he just signed an executive order where he does not have the power unilaterally by himself with a pen, to change how federal election laws work. But nonetheless, he signed an executive order that essentially says, hey, Department of Homeland Security, I want you to create a list and you tell us whose citizens are, even though that's not your job. You know what the Department of Homeland Security does. It decides who's over state of visa. It decides who it gave permission to come to the country or who does not have permission to be in the country. That is not the same thing is saying who is born here. Now, yes, it will include social Security data as well, but just know this. The Department of Homeland Security is the same department that Donald Trump and others have been insinuating should show up at our pole sites, should have something to do with our elections. That's wrong, but it's also an effort to make it harder for voters to do what States who have the power to decide who can vote how they can tell people to transmit their votes. And Donald Trump as president does not control the United States Postal Service because he's essentially saying the United States Postal Service should be basically able to look at the list it gets from the Department of Homeland Security and decide not to transfer a ballot even after a state has said please send this. So that's wrong and we won't stand for it, and nor will the courts. It's unconstitutional.
Speaker 4: Just know this.
Speaker 2: We have power.
Speaker 16: Our power is real, so vote.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much Tamayah for sending in that video to break all of that down. I will tell y'all, y'all, President's president is still a loser, and that is evidenced by all of the rulings against him this week. One time, for the first Amendment of federal judge ruled Trump's executive order prohibiting funding for PBS and NPR was unconstitutional. In another case that one hundred and twenty year old East Wing has been demolished by Trump for a four hundred million dollar renovation, a judge told him to hold his horses because he is a steward, not the owner of the White House, and that the project must stop until quote Congress authorizes its completion. And a federal judge in Boston US District Court, Judge Allison Burrows blocked the Trump administration's attempt to end timperate parole status under the Biden era CBP one policy. That policy impacts more than nine hundred thousand migrant y'all, and speaking of folk, Trump thinks he has no right to be here. Birthright citizenship is before the Supreme Court today. If y'all don't have anything on those other three cases. We can jump into the birthright citizenship case.
Speaker 4: Well before we get the birthright. And I appreciate you going through that, Angela, because he has been taking body blows. The other thing I didn't see mentioned there, but it wasn't I guess directly against Trump is the funding for NPR, which is vital for I didn't say that. That's why I said I missed. I don't always, you know, be tuned.
Speaker 2: I was going through quick ag.
Speaker 4: We had a lot of yeah. But but I will say back on the first case, I just wanted to underscore that what Trump has instructed the US Postal Service to do.
Speaker 5: Is when.
Speaker 4: Ballots are put in the mailboxes to be returned from my home address to go back to the supervisor of elections. That that is when the federal government, the Postal Service, is supposed to intervene to take that ballot and determine run my name through their database to determine whether or not they will deliver that ballot to my supervisor of elections. Now, for some of y'all, that may make sense for me, it makes absolutely none. Obviously, the laws against them. It is not how it's supposed to work. But let me tell you, before that ballot ever shows up at your home or my home, your supervisor of elections has already run your name and determined that you're eligible for a ballot. So if folks are curious of whether or not just mysterious ballots are being mailed out to anybody who asks for one, that's not how it works. He is creating a new barrier to prevent our votes from being legally cast and counted contrary to what the state law is. I just I want people to really get the offense. Here is a federal government inserting itself because of its delivery of mail services. To then decide that they're just going to take on a whole another power, run my name through a database, and decide to dispose of my vote or deliver it. That's crazy.
Speaker 5: I look at it from a different angle a little bit.
Speaker 8: I think the judicial independence is something that we really haven't taken seriously as a country up until recently. I mean, I go back to Rama Manuel when he was chief of staff of Barack Obama talking about the lack of import they're putting on justices. Because he had to pass the Affordable care act. I think about the fact that we had people out here talking about the Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were the lesser of two evils when you had three Supreme Court justices up. And it's just something that we haven't really spoken to voters about, both locally and on a state level and the federal judiciary, because when you see rulings like this, it usually comes from extremely smart, independent jurists who understand the law and who can apply the law to these draconian measures that the administration is trying to put forward. So, I mean, I know every week I get on here and talk about elections. I think last week we talked about the Secretary of State and for some people that may be mundane, but man, focus on your magistrates all the way up.
Speaker 5: I mean we are seeing the import of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think what you're saying is another reminder of why elections matter and is one of those dots people don't connect, right that the elected folks are who appoint the judges. The other reason why election elections matter so much that's being demonstrated here, though, is that as important as these rulings are, he's already done the damage. The Corporation for Public broadcasting is already shuttered because the funding got removed. The East Wing is already destroyed and all of its history along with it. Right, So when you elect people who wipe their flabby behinds with the constitution, the litigation is important, but it can only do so much if we put them in power in the first place.
Speaker 1: Well, and that is true, but thank God for the courts that we do have with that with good sense, because they are stopping the activity that have already that's already been taken CPS, I mean, I'm n PR and PBS. That is unconstitutional and that is a protection of the First Amendment. It would have been nice if it would have stopped before all of the bleeding. But I think at this point we got to get we can't.
Speaker 2: But car are you?
Speaker 7: I mean, damn, I'm thirsty too, but I don't want to pop it since.
Speaker 6: I'm a guess.
Speaker 2: Anyway, y'all, So.
Speaker 8: Y'all think just stay like this man. You gotta you gotta mind your business and drink your water.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows speaking of coke cans, Let's turn our attention to uh the Supreme Court case Claire Thomas. Let's start with him. You know, every now and then, not every now and then. Anyway, today Claire Thomas asked this question bout Riscott, and that's not the question we have. But I do want to roll the first Claire's Thomas question we have. I just want to acknowledge Donald Trump, who has been in the room for or arguments we're saying today. But it's going to ar tomorrow obviously, but this is still fresh, so we don't have it all together. I do want to roll this Claire's Thomas question.
Speaker 17: Generally, you're getting a lot of questions about immigration, and they harken back, of course to the citizenship which is defined in or set out in the fourteenth Amendment. How much of the debates around the fourteenth Amendment had anything to do with immigration.
Speaker 11: I think that the principal focus of those debates it has to do it really not with immigrants, but with the Indian tribes. I mean, obviously, the main goal, that one pervading purpose of this court set in the slaughterhouse cases, was to establish the citizenship of the free slaves and their children. But they were very concerned about the problem of something that they all accept it as a given, which is that the children of tribal Indians are not within the rule of birthright citizenship. So I think that's what they focused and we draw an analogy to that too the issue of temporary sojourners. But there are mentions of temporary sojourny multiple places in the congressional debates, and all of those quotes go in our direction.
Speaker 2: So that's the first one.
Speaker 1: I don't know if y'all want to get into another part of the orals here, but what is I think really fascinating. The lead attorney on our side of the issue is a child of immigrants arguing birthright citizenship. And you see the blatant hypocrisy not only of the Republican Party, the Trump administration, and probably some of these justices when this ruling will eventually come out or on this particular issue, some of them being children of immigrants themselves.
Speaker 2: But I don't know I.
Speaker 4: Want to do if I could just back up a second to mention because I know we've all been inisconsd in this case, as we've heard oral arguments today before the you know, the High Court. But but what's that question here is that the President has signed an executive order several months back that basically says that redefines the fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, which established, just for all of our knowledge, that an individual born here in the United States is considered a citizen of the United States of America, regardless of where their parents originated. And there are a few exceptions to that rule, usually having to deal with diplomats, foreign diplomats and high ministers to a respective country, and in the in the case of foreign occupation, that the law doesn't apply to those individuals. Those individuals, but they're basically for exceptions to to the law. And it really even though you heard the mention of Dred Scott uh the fourteenth Amendments, how it came into formation in the first place in eighteen sixty eight. It was part of what we now know as the sort of reconstruction clauses of the Constitution, and those were the thirteenth, fourteenth, and fifteenth Amendment, giving black folks in this country access to the constitutional guarantees that we were denied at the forming of this country. But it dates back to the early sixteen hundreds, as part of Calvin's case in Great Britain that established that anyone born under the jurisdiction of the king had to be basically obedient and as a subject of the king, regardless again of what their parents did or where they came from. So, although it's been the law of the land for one hundred and fifty years coming into formation, since the Fourteenth Amendment, it has been the practice of the United States, mostly for white men, but the practice of the United States since before the founding of the United States of America. So this man has the audacity to challenge this constitutional amendment that basically black people are responsible for it having come into formation in the first place. And I just think we are to as a community, really understand the import of this debate today, this week, and in the weeks ahead as the Supreme Court sort of deals with this. I think a lot of people are assuming that it's going to go one way. But I thought the same thing about other settled pieces of law, that the court, this court, this conservative court, would go one way, and it ended up going a different one. So let's just pay attention to what's happening here. The Fourteenth Amendment exists because of us, but as affirmed for in future cases, it applies to everybody and anybody born here in the United States. On our soil.
Speaker 2: And that's just the party. I do think.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you back in into context here, Andrew is important. Donald Trump, moments after leaving the oral arguments, went to Truth Social Number. By the way, this is the only time in history documented that sitting president attended oral arguments, so that's also a major We can argue that he was there to try to intimidate the justices in some way, but he posted on true Social shortly after leaving, we are the only country in the world stupid enough to allow birthright citizenship. He's wrong. Thirty other countries at least also have birthright citizenship. The other piece that I think is really important here, and I actually want to at least commend John Roberts for this one statement he made. The Solicitor General General was arguing that even though the Framers didn't have in mind, which was John Roberts question, that this is the type of situation that would come up people coming here, you know, falling in love with someone who was already a citizen here and having a child. How do you determine whose parent you know is responsible for the ab and where their citizenship lay. And the Solicitor General sowers says, we're in a new world now, and John Roberts, Chief Justice John Roberts says, back, it's a new world, but it's the same constitution. And so I think there are these interesting pockets where you see their humanity. But to Andrew's point, we are literally one Supreme Court decision away from the dismantling and the gutting and the wrongful interpretation of the Fourteenth Amendment, of any amendment in any single case, in any single case, they could decide not to rely on President. They could they could decide to rely on Court president case President that is not in our favor, right like it ain't always been. The Supreme Court decision we're talking about dread Scott. Dread Scott is not what established birthright citizenship. It was the case that broke dread Scott's hard enough to cause his death because they did not see him as a citizen, as a human, because he was an enslaved person right property.
Speaker 2: That's right, Chattle.
Speaker 8: Can I ask one question though, one of the things, because I think both of you, and Andrew, you highlighted the importance Angela and Andrew gave us the history. But one of the questions we haven't answered for listeners, and I want to see what you three think and and kind of just trim it down is why, you know, what, why are they going through this?
Speaker 5: Why are they going through this exercise practically?
Speaker 4: Like why?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to I want bread to be able to wait into.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm a lawyer, but I have been black my whole life.
Speaker 4: I mean growth up because on the table, I'm.
Speaker 7: From Saint Louis, which means every the show me state period, y'all know, I put on for Saint Louis. And every MLK day we marched from Pala Symphony Hall to the old Courthouse in downtown Saint Louis where Dread and Herriot Scott stood before or the Missouri State Supreme Court. They were also members of the church that my father later passored, the second oldest church founded by free and enslaved black people in the state of Missouri. And thinking about that history, what is clear to me is that what they told Dread and Hariet about what they thought about their.
Speaker 6: Dignity and humanity remains true.
Speaker 7: So they didn't recognize their humanity and their dignity, then they don't. These folks don't have any intent on recognizing our humanity or dignity now, and just because they're using us as the cudgel to try to make their argument doesn't mean that we're safe. And I think it's really really important that those of us who can trace our families back four and five generations on this land don't get comfortable and think that this thing can apply to us, because it absolutely can. I just think that they want the whole thing to themselves. That's just what I think it comes down to.
Speaker 1: I think brit is right. I do want to just if I can drop in another clip. We have a dissenter in chief in this Spreme Court. Her name is Katanji Brown Jackson, Justice Katanji Brown Jackson, and today she demonstrates I think a great in her questioning Bikari an answer suggested answer to your why, let's row that.
Speaker 10: Did I understand you to say that domicile is going to be eventually or is controlled by Congress? Who is domiciled? I'm struggling to figure out who is domiciled in your argument.
Speaker 11: The domiciliaries are people who are lawfully present and have an intent to remain permanently. So that's the kind of black letter understanding of domicile. Now, Congress can't dictate that certain classes of people legal entrance and so forth cannot lawfully lack of legal capacity to form a legally binding doctor.
Speaker 6: Is that so?
Speaker 10: Then doesn't it make the domicile for the purpose of the Fourteenth Amendment turned then ultimately on Congress's will in a way that the Framers did not intend. I mean, my understanding was the Framers put this citizenship clause into the Constitution to prevent future Congresses from being able to affect citizenship in this way.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 11: Very briefly, no, I don't think so, because it is up to the alien whether or not they want to be domiciled here. Now there may be.
Speaker 10: Complect because said Congress can make determinations as to who counts as being domiciled here. So that's true, Then it ultimately would impact in your theory whether or not this person can claim that they have citizenship for Fourteenth Amendment purposes based on Congress's determination. And I just thought that's what the fourteenth Amendment was trying to get away from.
Speaker 11: Yes, very briefly, I just point you to the discussion in Professor Worman's and make us brief where he talks about this is not a new problem, going back even to the British Common Law, there's a situation of people who lack a safe conduct and are passing through the King's domains without permission, and he says, the best reading of the common laws, they are not in the protection of the King, and they're not covered by their royal birthright citizenship.
Speaker 4: I sink through. He's been real colorful with the language there. But I will tell you, first of all, I'll say Justice Jackson and I would add to that Justice Soto Mayor both have a way of making the High Court accessible in their questions and the way in which they summarize their questions. As a non lawyer, I feel like I can access what it is that they're trying to say and what the crux of the argument is about. To Bakari's question, because I think it really it's a great one, and it's one that we all ought to consider, Like why now, why after terms, before the founding of this nation, does it decide under Trump and his stooges to redefine who a US citizen is. And although a lot of us may think that this thing is powered by the immigration of Latin Americans. I think into the US, that's who they like to use as today's sort of boogeyman. I think it has everything to do with what surfaces in Donald Trump's voice. Every time he has the opportunity to talk about the kinds of people he believes ought to be in the United States, he talks about people from shithole countries, places that we don't want.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: He talks about South America at the whole continent of Africa. To forgive him, he doesn't know the demographic diversity that exists on the continent, but but whatever be that as it may. And then when he talks about Europe, he talks about Europe you losing its authenticity, its identity because of the immigration of brown people. So lets none of us get it confused that what this thing is about isn't just about Latin American immigration in this country. They wish to reverse the wheels of immigrants, of of of the census of this country going forward. They know that white folks have a lower birth rate than any other group. They know that the browning of America is real, that is here, and that it will increase, And so to preserve their power they believe they need a more eurocentric United States of America. This is this is based in racism as the origination here, as was the Fourteenth Amendment which saved us from it, as was the Southern State then implementing their own discriminatory laws after the Fourteenth Amendment to keep US from accessing power. So they're not talking about black people. They're not name checking us right now as the problem. They're using us and escapegoading us as part of the solution through the Fourteenth Amendment on this argument. But don't get it twisted. They see US as big a threat as they see Latin American immigration. They don't want us counted in the census, and they don't want us being the majority. Ultimately, I think this is about what you hear Donald Trump say, which is he wants a wider America and he wants an America that brings people in from European country who are also just European and Dutch.
Speaker 6: People from South Africa.
Speaker 4: Don't forget, they gone back.
Speaker 5: They don't even like it here. They all said they going back.
Speaker 2: They said this is a way.
Speaker 5: They said, we want to be in the ghetto.
Speaker 8: I think that you know, just Summarily, it's two things, and I think Andrew hit the nail on the head. I mean, it's it's about power, and it's about fear. It's the fear of losing what they believe to be theirs, the browning of America, this inability to understand Angela rise phrase that this joint for free right and uh not acknowledging that the equity of of of what diversity has put into this country, not recognizing those contributions. And I think lastly, it's about just not valuing diversity. You know, that power, that that power talking point is so real because it comes down to elections. They see them so of having a better opportunity winning an election, maintaining power with the fewer black and brown folk in this country, period, point.
Speaker 4: Blank, fullstop.
Speaker 8: And I honestly don't think that Donald Trump. I find him to be a useful idiot for those of it, those individuals who are around him, because I think that we don't We talk about it a lot, but the stephen Millers and the Bannons of the world are the ones who are orchestrating this.
Speaker 4: And then the.
Speaker 8: Sad part is the the Cassidys and the Cottons of the world, the Hallys of the world, the Dvanceas of the world, don't have the testicular fortitude to be able to rise up to this case, this occasion and actually recognize what America is and or her value.
Speaker 5: So I think power and I think fear are witsdriving this.
Speaker 7: That mean fear is a tool for power though, right, fear is how you maintain power. I say this all the time, and I teach on this every single conflict in the West, in America, in particular, in white dominant culture, comes down to the desire to hoard power. White dominant culture teaches us that power is a pie and there are only so many slices to go around. The idea that we are all born with innate power and it is therefore abundant, and we can share it and all be better when we share it is foreign to a white the ideology of whiteness, right, it is it is natural to our communities. It is foreign to them. So they're going to maintain power through by any means necessary and at all costs, which means stoking fear, which means stoking violence very intentionally, right, because that's always a tool of power.
Speaker 6: Because they mean to.
Speaker 7: They intend to ensure that they don't share power with anybody but themselves. And if there are wealthy people of color who think they gonna get it in on a pie, they are sadly mistaken.
Speaker 1: You know, Macary said a really important phrase moments ago. They used the word the ghetto, and that is how I felt all weekend, because it feels like the ghetto here. My girls planned a whole trip to go see the iconic tour, which would include Salt and Peppa TLC and in Vogue and Chili.
Speaker 2: Of TLC.
Speaker 1: Was was bound to God, who I also heard was her friend.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if that's true.
Speaker 1: We won't ask her to confirm nor deny, because when she confirms nor denies, it turns out it's not always actual and factual.
Speaker 2: To use a TLC.
Speaker 1: All I would like to say in this moment is that we should let her speak for herself. This is a long, meandering video explaining her reposting a Michelle Obama clip which I'll say I might surprise you on the other side of it, and then her written statement. So let's get into those two things, and then Nick Cannon, we got you next, buddy, especially because you didn't text me back Chili.
Speaker 9: Hey, guys, I wanted to come on here to address a few things that's circulating on the internet that's very concerning to me. Let me say this first. I have the utmost respect and admiration for Michelle Obama, and I would never say or do anything that is disrespectful to her or to any woman. I would never do that. And I had no clue that this repulse had happened until I started getting phone calls and text messages from everybody. And I immediately went to my page to see what was going on. Now, mind you, I'm not very computer savvy, so I'm looking for this repost button, and I see that all of them, all of these buttons are very very close to each other, and clearly I was scrolling and my thumb hit the repost button. Again, I had no clue that something like this happened until I got all the calls. But of course I took that down, and you know, I would never post anything like that. I would never do something like that. That is not my character. I have supported the Obamas, I gave to the campaign both runs, voted twice for him, and supported the organization that Michelle had in the schools for exercise for the kids.
Speaker 6: I would never.
Speaker 9: Do any thing that's harmful or hateful to anybody, you know. I am just not wired like that, that is, that's just not who I am. And when it comes to organizations that I have donated to, these are the things that support the veterans. You know. I have always supported them, not just now, but for years. This is not something new. So I just wanted to let you guys know. You know this from me. You know that I would never do anything so disrespectful, and I would just never I'm just not about hate or anything like that. You know. If you look on my page and see my post, It's all about love, faith and connection. That's what I'm all about, you know. And I've always been that way and I will continue to be just that way. So I just want to thank you guys for you know, your love and your support and just taking the time to listen to me right now.
Speaker 2: I really really.
Speaker 9: Appreciate that, and I love you guys. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: So not such shots fired at the end of the TMZ clip that we can, but to go ahead, Bakari, before we get into what you're going to say, let's just post her statement up so we can read that as well, because that video addressed the Michelle Obama piece, but it didn't really address the donation. So she says, I want to be clear. I am not MAGA and do not support any of the many policies that are causing great harm to the American people. I made a mistake, too many make. I did not read the fine print. I thought I was supporting causes against human trafficking and four veterans, two things I care deeply about as my dad is a veteran and everyone knows I love children. I have learned a valuable lesson and asked for grace as I navigate this now. Bakari, I do want to hear from you, but I just want to say one thing is someone who actually likes to manage crises. The first rule here is you cannot lie. Once you have been targeted and people have like they're focusing on you, they're going to go dig through everything. So you say that you didn't know that your contributions were to political entities, but in your video you said you donated to the Barack Obama campaign several times, so you do know how to donate politically.
Speaker 2: That's one.
Speaker 6: Two.
Speaker 1: They're likely not to just look at your FEC filings from twenty twenty four. They're likely to go back to twenty two to twenty to eighteen to sixteen to see where you donated. People are likely to pull your voter registration records. Now, to be fair to her, somebody did pull her voter registration records. They had her labeled as a Republican. That's not actually how it looks. I went to look for myself. But I also would advise someone, if they were a client, that you need to be mindful that people will also check who you follow and what posts you've liked, even if you did not share said posts. So some of the posts she liked from Byron Donald's page. She's not as political, but she's following a member of Congress from Florida. She lives in Georgia and Stone Mountain, Georgia. Look, I don't really care what AOC has to say, is one of the posts. Congratulations to Florida's own Marco Rubio on receiving a unanimous Senate confirmation. The time for weakness is over, the time for indecision is over, the time for appeasement is over. Thank you real Donald Trump. Under your leadership, we are entering the golden age of America. The best is yet to come. She likes a post where it says, if you allow the neighborhood children into your house and they start breaking stuff, do you let them stay? That's a post about immigration. She likes a post of Pete Hegseth, who has single handedly been violently detrimental to black women around DEI, and she liked his confirmation posts where jd Vance is swearing in Pete Hegseth. That's just a few of what I found, and so I yield the Flooria to my mind.
Speaker 7: Don't forget. Is reportedly audio of Tea Boys on a previous radio show several years ago saying, and I quote my bandmate voted for him as the team was talking about Trump, and that can only be about one person.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because yeah, yeah, Well I was just gonna say, I'm not disappointed. I think some of y'all may be disappointed, but I'm not really that disappointed. I kind of say that, you know, when people open their mouth, you find out a lot about them, and they who they pile around with, and how they think they might be a little different. And you know, they sell one thing to our community and then they go out and do another. So you know that ignorance, which is what it is, I think is more pervasive than we give it credit for. And I must say this that a lot of times black men get targeted because of some of those strands of weird conservatism that we have running through our community, some of the things we saw during the during the twenty twenty four and twenty twenty campaign as well. But I think it's more pervasive than we would give it credit for. And I think that's the sad.
Speaker 4: Partly clearly, I mean, and that's evident in some of the outcomes of the elections where we thought it was gonna go one way and it ultimately went another. I guess, well, she is entitled to believe whatever she wants to believe and to support whomever she wants to support. My confusion comes in when you backtrack and you don't own up to your shit. So if you believe, if say, for instance, faith is your reason that draws you nearer, I cannot imagine. But that's just me and my brain, and I'm limited how that would enure you closer to the policies of a Donald Trump or Keith Keg's breath, or or frankly anything that is emanating from the Republican Party right now, because they are a walking contradiction of any faith legitimate that I know of, not that I don't know of one on earth that they are representative of from a belief system, and and as expressed to their actions, this man just praying for more deaths to be rained down on innocent people. Right So, I'm talking about Hagg's breath, that that that that you like, Chili. I just think if you're gonna believe that, then double down in it. But if you what you what you're trying to sell me is I'm not very tech savvy, and so that's why I stay off the internets. I ain't so savvy either, but I don't be on there trying to you know, fake like I am. But the point that you make one mistake, I think you know we can't get with that. Maybe two. But now you've got multiple instances of you liking this strand of thinking and acting. Now you giving a grand ain't lightweight.
Speaker 2: And and giving to nine dollars just to either.
Speaker 4: Way, nine hundred dollars ain't lightweight and give I mean big weight.
Speaker 5: For me.
Speaker 4: Was a woman given twenty dollars a month, right for the duration of a year. That was big. So all I'm saying is you want us to buy a couple. You know, a few mistakes, that's one thing. But now your actions are not turning into your habits. And so don't be shocked when we start to assess you for what are now your habits, which you are entitled to. But if you're gonna, if you're gonna do the thing, they own the thing say I'm there, and I'm there for this reason. What I really feel, y'all is that I've heard some of the background stories of a number of those women who are part of this tour and how the struggle has been real as the decades have gone by, as new artists have come online, and all of us understand how that works, the fact that they are you know, I just Jay and I just went to the new edition and voiced the men and and and Tony Tony Braxton h a concert and you know it was great, powerful voices. I loved the love that was in the room. You know, for them, they didn't have to Bobby Brown didn't have to move his legs two times before. Folks were shotting like dot the mos. Yes, I mean it was around me. Yeah, it was. Oh my gosh. And you're looking at it side by side with the video from like when he originally.
Speaker 2: Did it, and do it Andrew.
Speaker 4: But we're so loving, We're like, oh boy, he is up. He dropped it. I'm like, drop way he dropped off the stage Andrew at any point he wanted to because he's left tired. I'm walking off and I'll be gone nice. But but but the point is that, like we got mad love for these folks and I and I know that the struggle is real there, and the same is true. I've heard about many of the NVOGUE members and you know, living out of the you know your car and that kind of thing. I want so badly for their their work to be properly recognized, celebrated, and for them to get the kind of win that they need from that. And I fear, Chile that your repeated mistakes, which have now become not just mistakes but rather habit, which then tell us who you are at least some of who you are, may have an impact there. And I would just adminded. I would just ask the folks out there, there are ways in which we can we can we can lift up our disdain and our rejection and our rebuff of of of her beliefs, and how we are harmed by it, particularly in our community, while not punishing the overwhelming majority of those women who highly skilled, have always loved in our community, who are in a position now to receive love again from us.
Speaker 5: So let's give it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm gonna yield to brit I lost this vote, andrew your your petition is the one that I levied with the girls.
Speaker 2: I have lost the machetes. I am the lone soldier saying you were holding out.
Speaker 7: I want to say you you stood on Democracy ten totally down and I part of me wants to be able to just go and enjoy. But I am absolutely disappointed. And I'm disappointed in part because I grew up on TLC so A. I had some late summer plans with my machety girls, right we were gonna go get down. I couldn't go to the last concert with y'a because I had to work, so I was like, this is my makeup time.
Speaker 6: I was trying to shake some mass.
Speaker 7: To creep like I had plants and then here you go messing them up, right, So like, I'm disappointed personally, but I'm also disappointed because growing up on TLC, they were cutting edge. They were the first folks talking about safe sex, when they were talking about affirming queer people, they were talking about suicide and body image. Like you know, I'm thinking about waterfalls and all of the warnings that we tried to heed from them, right from not chasing the waterfalls to not dating no scrubs like they were supposed to be empowerment for the rest of us who Trump can't stand. So for this it's turn of face to happen. Yeah, I'm disappointed. I feel betrayed.
Speaker 5: Or did we just not know her?
Speaker 7: Maybe we didn't know her and I maybe changed. I do miss the time and we didn't know everything.
Speaker 4: About it.
Speaker 2: Easier to enjoy the art.
Speaker 7: But now that we do know when my mama always says, well, you know better, you got to do better, and she's around too many people who can help her know better to not be doing better. And I think that there's a there's a like there's a sense of betrayal a because black women are like we the ninety two percent. We still some of us are plenty confused about why the a percent even exists. But two, I'm not disappointed in Nick Cannon because Nick Cannon is who he's shown himself to be for several years now. So like there's a different I have a different response to him.
Speaker 6: That's right, Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Part of the Republican Party.
Speaker 6: Uh huh, that's right.
Speaker 12: A former Democrat, former liberal, A liberal Democrat.
Speaker 2: My whole life is that because.
Speaker 18: The bag has got so intense and so heavy.
Speaker 6: That you had a whole nother you up there with the elite.
Speaker 2: Now not even close, not even close.
Speaker 12: Democrats don't care about black people, and they don't care about.
Speaker 2: People, They don't care about people of color.
Speaker 12: And the Republicans do. And that's the misconcession.
Speaker 6: And you know what, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: One, people don't know that the Democrats is the party of the KKKA.
Speaker 19: People don't know that the Republicans.
Speaker 2: Are the party that freed the slaves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean most of you and I have some conservative views.
Speaker 6: You're just a little bit more outspoken about.
Speaker 4: It than I am. And I honestly I don't subscribe to neither party.
Speaker 18: I'll rock with W. E. D.
Speaker 4: The voice when he said there's no such thing as two parties, as just one evil party with two different names.
Speaker 12: So yeah, I mean, look, I listen, I'm not married to any party, right. I voted for Donald Trump because he's we had two options and he was definitely, by far the better option for us, And as of now, I agree with a lot of things that he's doing.
Speaker 2: But what was Guess what?
Speaker 12: If there's a time where I don't agree, I'll say I don't agree.
Speaker 6: I'm got the Gulf of America.
Speaker 7: Now, the charging even like the club you charging on five million dollar bottle service.
Speaker 5: Feed to get into the country.
Speaker 12: Listen, but guess what?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 5: Really quickly, really quick? Oh I'm sorry no, But I.
Speaker 8: Mean, like like that type of ignorance, it breeds, It breeds two questions like one, where along the line do you have to spend your time and treasure? Which none, none of the four of us have a great deal of time. I tell people the most two valuable things I have in this world or relationships, because I feel like I can call them any of you three and you probably won't pick up the phone. But at least it makes me feel good to know that I can call you right and that you know time and relationships are the most important thing. And so when do I have to sit down with someone like Nick Cannon and educate him on what happened in nineteen forty eight when Dixiecrats broke away from the Democratic Party because of our stances on realignment, because of our stance on civil rights right and led by Strong Thurman, they believed in segregation and states rights. They joined what is now the modern day Republican Party, and you had a complete realignment. So everything you said was utter bullshit. I'm sorry to curse because I know your mama's listening to the show, Brittany.
Speaker 15: But.
Speaker 6: And you know she loves you. She's like not Pakari.
Speaker 2: Headphones.
Speaker 7: The thing that irks me is that these free thinking folks are so disrespectful. Did they think that they know betterrand mama's, they mama's, they daddy's, they uncles, all these black folks who have also read books, who have also studied history, who can also quote the great scholars of African American history, like the disrespect that it takes to think that you have become enlightened to something that the rest of us are ignorant to while we're all actively being harmed by the people you're propping up, and you just don't feel it as badly because you're famous and rich. As wild to me, if somebody didn't get popped in the mouth enough when they were.
Speaker 5: I believe I can I ask you guys a question because the way you.
Speaker 1: Do that, because you're going to have us down a different land. Let me just say this about Nick Nick is I consider Nick a friend.
Speaker 2: I think that especially when he was at Howard, I found.
Speaker 5: Him fault, no.
Speaker 4: Job.
Speaker 6: He didn't respond to he didn't.
Speaker 1: Respond to my text, And I think for me, I give people the benefit of you know, tell me why I should vote, and you have that conversation. It's a conversation we've had actually on air on his podcast. What I think what surprised me here is is not that he doesn't feel beholden to either parties. I think most of us, most of our people, in some way don't feel beholden to either party.
Speaker 2: Feel very much.
Speaker 1: As much as Bikari might have some disdain about this, it is the lesser to evils on policy.
Speaker 2: In a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: There are Democrats right now having conversations about whether or not DEI was the right path for us to take.
Speaker 2: We have to be honest about that.
Speaker 1: I don't think that we should over romanticize the relationship between the black community and the Democratic Party. Nonetheless, we ain't dummies. Were not about to be supporting the party that's questioning the fourteenth Amendment. We're not about to go We know how hard fought. If you watch what Fanny Lieulhammer says about what they had to do to vote, the beatings, the threat like Medgar Evers being killed in his driveway, Like we know what had to happen to force the Democratic Party towards righteousness.
Speaker 2: That was our work. I mean, like that's the part for me, Like I.
Speaker 1: Don't want you to be I'm so provocative that you lose your footing on intellectualism and and being and facts just facts. You ain't even got to be smart, just facts. Just check your facts. And I think you know, even when he cites w e B, I love.
Speaker 2: W e B. But he was very practical and pragmatic.
Speaker 1: I don't see anywhere where he tells us not to vote or don't participate in the system that is going to be making decisions about our lives and whether or not we can thrive like that is not the message. And the other thing is, I will say this, I think that that whole rhetoric in that car ride was as reckless as them too.
Speaker 2: Niggas not even have a seatbelts on.
Speaker 4: Well, well at least with their no seat belts, their lives is in their hands. The the the the other stuff is they're using their influence to pedal uh. You know people. The problem is that I keep hearing these lines repeated. Everybody want to talk about Abraham Lincoln. Everybody want to talk about what the Democrats in the sixties data without can y'all just read the book to this conclusion? Just just just complete more than that sentence. Just read a little bit further so that you have an understanding that's grounded in something that's real.
Speaker 1: That's every way you say, you say you stopped that chapter five, it's twenty five.
Speaker 4: You just stop that line too. Just get to the end of that.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: It's easier to copy and paste the topics that process.
Speaker 4: It's easy to do that, but it's cheap. It's also low grow. I'm not acting for intellectualism. I really am not, not at all, I'm just asking for self preservation. Just think about you, your family, your condition, how you grew up. But my reframe and I said this about fifty cent when we were talking about well, why would he better guess what these people and their proximity to power is different than mine. Their resource either has diluted them into or that it has demonstrated enough that they can get them into some places where who they have to consider, what they have to consider, what they need to be standing up for, and what they need to be staying silent on has shifted so to I don't want I no longer believe skin folk is skin folks. I no longer believe that at the end of the day we will all have some fidelity to the fact that our people struggled, did this, lost this, did this sacrifice in this way first generation. This is now a common uniting frame. They are now divorced from our historical and even recent experience because their reality has changed, and quite frankly, they can only be counted upon for what I would normally ascribe to white folks by and large, which is that they have the power and they are committed to keeping it. And so these folks believe they got a shred and they're committed to keeping it.
Speaker 8: I don't believe in canceling people. I think cancelation is the dumbest thing on earth. I do believe in consequence though. I think that people, people, there are consequences for your actions.
Speaker 17: But I don't.
Speaker 8: Believe that we have the ability to like erase people from our lives.
Speaker 5: Whatever. That's my own personal permanybody, but yeah, that's my Does.
Speaker 8: It matter though, because I've always come come, and I said this yesterday on our call, but I've always come from the opinion that with greater talent comes more tolerance. Right, you see, you see you see people who excel. I mean, you see people who excel at something, they say something, they stay around the team. As soon as the person who can play like that say something just like what he says, they cut.
Speaker 5: They on the next flight out Right.
Speaker 8: I'm not necessarily talking about Jada and I because he's actually going through a mental crisis. So I'm trying to I'm refraining from and I love Nell, so I don't want to. I don't want to cast any aspersions on what she's going in right now with with Jada, But I will tell you that that I do believe whether or not it's art, entertainment, sport, culture, when people, when people have greater talent, we give them more runway. So does it matter that these people have these platforms? Does it matter that they are an extremely attractive trio? The last I mean, Chili's fifty five years old. She was gorgeous even at fifty five. You know, amber Rose is a type to certain people. Nick Nick Cannon got thirty seven beautiful baby mamas like, but does it matter? Does it matter in culture? And as we're having these debates one you know that does talent mean that we need to treat these people any differently than we would treat others?
Speaker 5: That's my question.
Speaker 4: You know when they entered the lane that they probably should stay out, I mean.
Speaker 5: And shut up and dribble.
Speaker 4: If you're not, if you don't want be held accountable for waylaying your way into an area of which you have no uh a reasonable set of knowledge, skill, perspective, ideology practice meaning you don't vote, then do what you do, and then you don't have to worry about folks coming down on you for saying stupid ass shit.
Speaker 1: I just I think my question here is twofold one is we're a little over an hour into the show.
Speaker 2: I know he had one nose. You're fine.
Speaker 1: We have one set of issues we were planning to talk about on the mini pod, but I'm actually gonna ask if we would consider expanding this conversation to the mini pod, because we spend a lot of time focusing on the accountability of what an entertainer might say. But what I really want to do is try to turn this into us like an internal reflection for ourselves because we want to Some people want to cancel, some people want to openly rebuke record a video talking about these folks. But my question really is, like what passes do we give ourselves for the brands that we continue to support despite their endorsement whole throated, full throated endorsement of Donald Trump or his policies or their donations. But we give ourselves a pass? What is the barometer release?
Speaker 16: Ye?
Speaker 1: No, and I think it's a good one. I think it's going to take longer than what we should have on the show, And so we.
Speaker 2: Can invite keeping Guy.
Speaker 1: So we'll talk about Drew Ski another time. Drew Skill come out with another great skit for us to run.
Speaker 2: But we're going to do this. I do want to end here.
Speaker 1: In this conversation here so we can get to see tas with this Malcolm X clip. Who you know, because we study history in here, not just till chapter five andrew all the way through Project twenty twenty five. He just runs us back to something that we've seen before and we're seeing right now.
Speaker 2: Let's run it.
Speaker 19: Medians, comics, trumpet players, baseball players. Show me in the white community, where a comedian is a white leader. Show me in the white community where our singer is a white leader, or a dancer or a trumpet player is a white leader. These aren't leaders. These are puppets and clowns that have been set up over the white community and are over the black community by the white unity, and have been made celebrities and usually say exactly what they know that the white man wants to hear.
Speaker 4: You aren't gonna buy Sammy Davis Junior by inviting him to the lighthouse, shouldn't buy him by doing something for America.
Speaker 1: And of course at the end of this Malcolm X clip. Throughout there are quotes from w E B. D Boys, the accurate quotes of w EB the Boys as well as from Lanston Hughes, and there is an image of Sammy Davis Junior hugging Richard Nixon from the back very lovingly, and so with that calls to action family.
Speaker 4: His endorsement of Nixon left a scar on him that he will wear it to his grave. Is what I saw from Sammy Davis is that the quote I think maybe he did. I just wanted to say, for those who are on the listening side, oh say it aloud.
Speaker 2: I can't read on them quotes that quick. Thank you Andrew, who.
Speaker 18: Cares about truth in the last morning seen it.
Speaker 8: I just think that we should during this time of chaos, because that's what you did a great job Angela hosting today, because it's it's kind of like drinking out of a fire hose, and it's just so much that comes. So I want people to practice more meditation. I want people to take their shoes off and let their feet touch the grass. I want people to go outside and like sniff flowers and eat fresh fruits. I just think that it's so much going on that we need to make sure that we're mentally, physically and emotionally healthy to undertake the trauma that is coming our way because Andrew likes to say that the only way that we overcome this is with people, and they are trying to beat us down, and so we need to make sure that our people are healthy enough to fight back.
Speaker 2: What you got, hosts me, I'm away to the end.
Speaker 4: No, I was. I was talking about misspac Nick Cunningham.
Speaker 6: Miss Pacietti over here.
Speaker 7: Well, besides the call to action, to go vote on the webbies so Undistracted can win one of these two webbies, and to subscribe to Undistracted wherever you get your podcasts and on YouTube, because we're coming to YouTube now for this is for.
Speaker 6: I just really want us.
Speaker 7: To find community. I think what Bakari said is so important. There is no way we're going to get through this without each other, and we're turning to our roots and the ways that we upheld, educated and supported one another, that we restored when folks were out of order and lovingly corrected, and the ways that we held one another to account so that we could be there for community. That's what's gonna take in this time. I think often about that song that will read the saying so famously but that we know get sung in churches, Black churches all across the country about how I got over and the only way we're gonna get over is by being in touch with our creator and being in touch with each other.
Speaker 4: I love that. I love both of those. I know that No King's protests with this past week weekend for a lot of folks, you know, shout outs to you if you participated, Shout outs to you if you were there in spirit but watching, and shout out to those of us who just appreciated that there were people out there demonstrating the largest protests in American history against an American president. But something that caught my attention and I'm extremely excited about is that the next No King's event, May first, is intended to be a general strike. Now, this has been called for by many on the left from differently. I know the Mayor of Chicago had mentioned it in in a speech several months back, that that's one way to bring a country, and it's in a situation to heal is to withhold not only your money but your person, Meaning you don't if you're a teacher, you don't show up, if you're a student, you show up. If you are everyday citizen working for whomever. You don't show up, you don't shop, you don't do anything, so that the full effect of what it means to have us extracted from a place begins to be felt. And I just hope for those of us who have sat out, have watched, have reclined, even in our own stress and in our own misery, or just out of self preservation, whatever that's been, that may first and following this No King's movement toward a general strike, to make it as impactful as seismic as we possibly can. Please please please do your research, Google find out what it is. Maybe at some point between now and then we'll feature a topic about what a general strike is, what it looks like, what the history of it is. But for a president who seems to be driven by very few things, but one of those things is the market, this is a way at which we get you in a single day's effort illustrate our power. It's it's huge, and I really hope that our community embraces this step and signs onto the general strike.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love all your calls to action today. I mine is simple. I want you to be in conversation and hopefully have friends who do not think like you. I think it's so important for us to have dimension, for us not to categorize things as black or white shout out to Michael Jackson, but to really be able to see the spectrum of gray because it is large. I agree with Bakari about cancelation. I believe in calling people in, but if you you know, if you lie, you should get called out too. I still think that there should always be an opportunity for redemption, always an opportunity to give grace as we've been given grace, and I think that we it's really important that we talk to people who will challenge our thinking, which sometimes can become flat when it's not so. Shout out to everybody who pushes their friends and loves on them. I will say that, Bakari, we have some gold headphones with your name engraved on them that should be sitting on.
Speaker 2: Your front porch.
Speaker 4: Now, please trump.
Speaker 2: April Fool's Day, Ya dummy, the show's done. Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 5: I ain't taking this.
Speaker 2: I heeart, Lord, have mercy.
Speaker 1: As always, we want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native lampod We're available on all podcast platforms.
Speaker 2: And YouTube.
Speaker 1: You can follow us on social media and substack, or check out Native lampod dot com. If you're looking for more shows like ours, check out the other shows on our recent Choice Media networks Politics with Jamil Hill, Off The Cup with se Cup, and Now You Know with Noah de Barasso. We are Angela Rai, Andrew Gillham and Bacari Sellers along with my sister friend and co hosts Today Britney Pagnet Cunningham.
Speaker 2: Welcome home.
Speaker 1: There are two hundred and fifteen days until midterm elections.
Speaker 18: Welcome home to the Native landing on the podcast face that's a for greatness.
Speaker 5: Sixty minutes is so hit, not too.
Speaker 18: Long for the grave shit, high level combo politics in a.
Speaker 5: Way that you could taste it.
Speaker 4: Then digest it.
Speaker 18: Politics touches you even if you don't touch it.
Speaker 3: So get invested.
Speaker 18: Across the t's and doctor IDs, kill them, got them ass sellers, staying on business or why you could have been anywhere but you chose us. Native Lampid is the brand that you can trust.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Native Lampid is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with reisent Choice Media. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit iHeart Radio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.