Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal Hell that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man. I've heard so many players say, well I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edith state is that? Whoo whoo?
Speaker 1: And then and tie? All right, Dan, A little bit of a different show today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great I'm having a great time, Ty, Yes, it's a different show. You can if you're watching this on YouTube, eventually you can see that we are on the run. We are. We're in an anonymous Hilton Garden Inn somewhere in Michigan. But this is great, Ty. We're starting a new life together. We need to find ladies. Okay, what are we doing? We're talking week ten.
Speaker 3: We're talking week ten. So, for those of you who have paid any attention to what we've been doing over the last couple of weeks, we have been teasing this weekend.
Speaker 1: We are doing this from parts of known i e.
Speaker 3: Somewhere near Ann Arbor, somewhere near the Detroit Airport. At present, we do not have strong enough internet to do our normal midnight stream. Though we tried, it was just not going to happen. So a last we're recording this on an iPhone. We've got a portable recording set up here, and we will do our best to get this out as soon as possible. So apologies to those of you who are out there who listened for the midnight live stream or waiting for the midnight live show.
Speaker 2: It's still a show, still show, still a show. It's in audio form and in video form. The timing's a little bit different. We could have been partying with the youths in ann Arbor, but we got cheap pizza, a hotel room game still going for you, for you, this is what we do for the Verbowl.
Speaker 3: Yes, so yeah, this I think goes without saying that it will not be a normal show, though we paid attention to and though we have a pretty good sense for the themes of the day. Dan, Yes, we didn't get to watch our normal amount of college football, so still like decent amount, decent amount, but I think just to preserve like honesty, this is a show about honesty first and foremost true, we're going to make sure that this is not the normal show and more of just a express reaction version to what we saw. I think have a pretty good sense for what happened in the early block and the mid afternoon block, it's just the night games that are going on right now. And you know, because we were in the press box for a good chunk of the day, brag much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, such a cool thing.
Speaker 3: We did not get to watch our normal amount of football. So we'll get to dood alerts, we'll get to reverbs, we'll get to all the normal bits. On the Tuesday spillover episode, we'll use that as sort of a second recap episode. But as for today, today is about what we kind of took in here, what we saw around college football skin tight Saturday.
Speaker 2: I had a nice little week pick in time. I'm not gonna lie. I don't know what's going to happen with all the night games, and this is going to be a specially weird to listen to after the fact, where you're like, well, South Carolina's pretty impressive and then they lose by thirty, right, But there is something fun about being in the moment with this, and it's a great opportunity for anybody listening to say, yeah, you probably didn't watch a ton of Syracuse Virginia Tech. Here's what happened to file away for next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly right, So make sure you hit fall make sure you hit subscribe, make sure you vote in Overballer Top twelve poll. By the way, I've opened it up to everybody who signs up for our Patreon, so it's not just people with the paid tiers. If you go to overbawlers dot com, there's a free tier. Yes, if you don't feel like paying, we get it.
Speaker 1: It's cool.
Speaker 3: But this week, this week only, you're gonna have the opportunity to vote in Overballer Top twelve pole. That's going to drop bright and early on Sunday morning. So let's get more people in the tent, get more opinions out there.
Speaker 1: Let's start with Penn State, Ohio State. Let's Penn sat Ohiose State.
Speaker 3: We were roaming tailgates today doing our best to try and find televisions. We watched the fourth quarter of the game, or chunk of the fourth quarter of this game from our seats up in the press box. Your final score was twenty two thirteen Ohio State. It was not a game dominated by defair by offense, excuse me, much more so by defense. At one point in the game, I turned to you when we were watching and we compared the team box scores and the team stat lines right, and they look shockingly similar. So this was very similar, frustratingly so to other Ohio State Penn State games that we have seen. I can speak to it from the Penn State perspective right to the extent that we watched this game, we're able to take it in. What did you get from what you saw out of Ohio State? So, Ohio State seemed to make a lot very difficult for Penn State. Defensively, it seemed like they were overwhelming Penn State's offensive line a good amount, obviously highlighted by the defensive stand first second, third, fourth and goal, probably highlighted by Penn State's decision to run it straight up the gut first second, third down before attempting to throw it into a real solid amount of traffic out of the shotgun on fourth and goal.
Speaker 2: But from Ohio State, it felt like they were generating even though they weren't finishing drives, even though they weren't hitting a number of downfield passes like they have earlier on in the season, which of course they weren't. It's the Penn State defense right right that they were finding ways to get Brandon Innis. Jeremiah Smith Quinn, Shawn Judkins, a little bit of wiggle room, a little bit of space, whether it was play design, whether it was reading what the defense was giving to them. And Will Howard was very sloppy early on. Will Howard was giving the defense.
Speaker 3: I mean, he gave Penn State its only touchdown in this game on the first drive of the game for Ohio State. It jumped a slant, took it to the house. It was up to Penn State was up ten to nothing before we even knew what happened. But it was from that point forward that Ohio State started to kind of assert itself a little bit more. And you know, you can speak to what they did on offense, but what they did on defense I think was especially impressive. Penn State had two drives inside the five yard line, came away with zero points.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: They scored exactly your favorite stat, zero offensive touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Just had to those two field goals.
Speaker 2: And really, this is the second year of scoring zero offensive touchdowns. It was twenty nine seconds down two scores last year that got in the end zone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think the bigger theme for me was just the way that Ohio State bullied Penn State really on both sides, you know what I mean. We had some questions about the left side of the Ohio State line, rightfully, so there were some newer guys that were starting on that side, or less experienced guys at a minimum, and the fact that they had as much success as they did, I think as an offensive line unit was pretty impressive. Quinchawn Judkins close to one hundred yards rushing yep, Trevion Henderson over fifty yards rushing like fifty four yards. Will Howard did not have an eye popping stat line with respect to what he did on the ground, but he did have two really big third down conversion late in the game that extended their drive and essentially put the game on ice. So it felt like, to your point, it came together late for them in some respect on offense, but ultimately that it was enough to put the game on ice. The Penn State side of this, I think is really frustrating. I agree, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: It feels like the same game every year. It does look so okay, it's the same game every year, zoom out for a moment. We talked a little bit about Penn State not recently finding the next I guess would be Parker Washington would be the last guy in this respect. They found the tight ends. We talked about not finding the receivers. Penn State is not finding the quarterbacks and offensive coordinators and offensive lineman at the same time. Right, there is something I think Andy Kotilnik is probably really good. Is he you have four plays to get in the end zone from the three yard line. Good early returns are no not for Penn State, not good enough. And so maybe it's an execution thing. It wasn't a createivity thing to me. Well, he wasn't creative enough there.
Speaker 3: It seemed there were several drives in this game where I thought they were going to go all trick play all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, whether it's using Tyler Warren, whether it's using creative sets, whether I mean, you name it, I mean they it felt like they were empty in the clip against Ohio State.
Speaker 1: With respect to.
Speaker 3: Creativity, creativity is not the issue. It's scoring points.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Drew Owler's injured, he's playing on kind of one leg or one knee or whatever.
Speaker 1: Look good, Look pretty good.
Speaker 2: What was scrambling early for key first downs? And it's different after playing you know, three and a half quarters against Ohio State. Your body wears down, I assume, so I think my body would wear down. So to me, the thing with Penn State is everything looked like they had to scratch and claw. Not everything. Eighty five percent of their successful plays seem like tight windows had to break three tackles to get to seven yards. Right, Everything seemed a little bit easier. Maybe it's because they had better skill position Ohio State, but the Penn State scratch and claw element to me was a little bit disappointing that it's another year of this.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Look, Ben Jones, our friend who writes about Penn State, has been on the show. He threw this one out on Twitter. He says, in the last two Ohio State games, Penn State has thrown the ball sixty three times and completed thirteen of those passes, just thirteen of those passes to wide receivers.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 3: You can point to a ton of other things, but the wide out play and development simply hasn't been good enough. This is not a trade secret at point. We know this about Penn State, and I think the frustration was palpable in the immediate aftermath of this game. Zach Saiko, who does the locked on Hitney Lyons podcast shout out to him. He tweeted out, still in shock from what I witnessed postgame for Penn State versus Ohio State. The student section bowed the team as they lined up for the alma mater. Then half the team walked into the tunnel before the song was over. So the team feeling it, the crowd feeling it. It sucks to kind of lay that on the player. Obviously, there is frustration abound. James Franklin took on some of that in his postgame press conference, saying, you know, he's got to own he's got to look in the mirror. It's entirely on him that type of thing. Look, I feel like we've heard this a million times. He's one to ten against Ohio State at this point. So there's got to be a lot of splain in this week as for where they go from here and how they can try and take a step forward.
Speaker 1: This is still a playoff team. I think for the most part, this is a playoff team.
Speaker 2: Technically yes, technically yes.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it was all that inspiring or performance though, and that's probably the bigger question. Can they get into the playoff with an eleven to one record. They're not going to make the Big Ten title at this game at this rate. Can they make the playoff? Yeah, they can't make the playoff. I think it's probably they will make the playoff. What they do when they get there, Can they be a serious contender based on what we saw in this game?
Speaker 1: The answer is a definitive no.
Speaker 2: Well here, here's the other thing too. If you're going to look at the other side of this coin, it's Ohio State has a decent too, I think good shot at winning the Big Ten. Penn State is a score worse than Ohio State in this moment. Without putting the ball in on offense that you simulate the tame one hundred times, Penn State's probably scoring an offensive touchdown a number of those times. So you're saying a down, if not horrendous, all things considered, offensive performance from Penn State has them in a position to beat a probable excellent team. A You really have to squint to see the silver lining if you're a Penn State fan. But there's that.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, there is that, and I just.
Speaker 3: I think the thing the other thing that makes is frustrating, separate from the fact that all of these games feel the same. If I were in the home studio, I'd be yelling about this.
Speaker 1: Right. They had their chances, Dan.
Speaker 2: They had that's the opportunity thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had their chances. This was like they did not play well on offense. Ohio State certainly got the best of them on offense, but they have plenty of chances. They had plenty of chances to get into the game to straight up win this game because their defense. All things considered, you hold Ohio State to twenty points, that should be good.
Speaker 1: Enough for it, and a good offense.
Speaker 2: You put the pressure on Will Howard like they put pressure on him right, and that you're getting in his head early with that pick six, and you are. You're doing plenty to win this game. The Penn State defense wise, like Ohio State had plays. Of course, they're going to make plays against everybody, but there is something like even the threat of a big play receiver opens things up against the defense as good as Ohio States can be. And when you don't have the like gravitational safeties peaking over here, it just it gives drew Our allor less to work with. It gives the running backs less to work with It gives codel Nicky less to work with Cotil Nicky. And there's that glaring issue right now that if each of those offensive position units is, you know, the part of the a slice of the offensive pie, they're missing a pretty significant slice.
Speaker 1: It's very frustrating.
Speaker 3: And I saw a lot of people who commented in response to some of our tweets we send out the nightly tweet on Saturdays, asking I'm a Penn State fan and this is how I'm feeling. And there are a couple of people who chimed in and said that this should be it for Franklin. I don't know if I necessarily agree with that. Right the perspective is getting a little bit easier to justify, though, Well, you.
Speaker 2: Just if you're selling hope when you're one and ten against what you perceive to be the most consistently difficult team in your conference, and you look at your standard as conference championship level, but you've lost ten of eleven at this point, you know, James Franklin is probably not going to often start winning this game.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly frustrating. It is a good road win for Ohio State, excellent, a really good road win. It doesn't always need to be pretty. They found a way to get it done, so kudos to them.
Speaker 2: It does need to be at night, conversation for another day.
Speaker 3: Conversation for another day. May we could talk about that on Tuesday. Sure, Game Day was not shy about the innu window saw that why the game needs to be at night or should be at night. The Penn State student body certainly was not shy about expressing its dismay over the decision by Fox to make this the big noon game.
Speaker 1: I think it sucks.
Speaker 3: I think it should have been at night. But that being said, I don't know if the game's any different if it's at night.
Speaker 1: Likely not right.
Speaker 3: We've got ten previous games of data to show us that this game would probably have ended up exactly the same way. Agree, what else stood out to you? We had a couple things go down. It was a drama fill day, it really was. We had obviously the game we were at Oregon Michigan. We had two teams in the Big twelve lose Big Twelve teams, Yeah, Kansas State and Iowa State, which is certainly going to shake up that conference race.
Speaker 1: Maybe how we think about it's.
Speaker 2: Good for Colorado.
Speaker 3: I believe really good for Colorado. How those teams kind of factor into the larger national discussion. We had some interesting bits here in the SEC. The Georgia game, I think left some questions about where they stand in the pecking order. They won by fourteen over Florida, but Carson Beck had a really rough go of things. DJ Lagway went down for Florida. I saw that it was a situation truly on the Florida side. I think they lost four guys, three of which were defensive backs in this football game, so it was a war of attrition in one sense. Georgia gets the w But now with some of their games coming up, I think it's fair to ask questions about what happens to them next. As we are recording this much earlier than usual, Texas A and m tennessee both on the ropes. We will not be covering that because we cannot.
Speaker 2: Cover Do you have a current score for me?
Speaker 1: I could pull up the current scores as we're going through this, And.
Speaker 2: By the way, just while you're pulling them up, adds an interesting wrinkle to the Bill Napier month and a half ahead of us, because the narrative of the story was like, he's got to look pretty good to like, very good in this stretch of impossible games that Florida has coming up. Now, DJ likeway, it looks like he's out for the year. Significant hamstring injury. That was the initial By the way, sometimes you might hear planes flying overhead, like yeah, like we're playing in the nineteen ninety three US Open in Queens. Yeah, this is the true Stefan Edberg of the college football podcasting world right here. That Billy Napier has to win games, that Billy Napier has to look good, that BILLI Napier has to prove that Florida is heading in an impressive direction. Aiden Gardner is not the per Gardner. Aiden Warner? Is that the name I'm warning for? Yeah, Aiden Warner is not the person to steer that chip. Right, This was so like, what do you do if you're a Florida decision maker? How do you judge Billy Napier against results without DJ Lagway or Graham Mertz. Does it buy him time or does give you an excuse?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Yeah, I mean it depends how you feel about billion Aper, right exactly in that administration at one point when they brought in Aiden Warner. I turned to you and I said, what do we know about this guy? And he said, well, he's a Yale transfer and I said, high football IQ, yeah, and he said he didn't play.
Speaker 2: He did not play.
Speaker 1: It just a high regular IQ.
Speaker 3: And to be honest with you, they had to go at this one even late. But he threw a really bad pick on a drive where I think Florida needed to go down the field and try and tie this one up. Your final score was thirty four to twenty in favor of Georgia at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Carson Beck threw multiple player interceptible passes. There were on multiple occasions he threw passes that could have been intercepted by multiple people.
Speaker 1: The way I.
Speaker 3: Jotted it down on the note sheet was his first two interceptions were underthrown into at least double coverage. Truly, both were into at least double coverage. The third was a pick I believe in the third quarter. Early in the third ye hit where he got hit and it was sort of tipped and it just was a wounded duck that was able to jump up and grab. So I give credit to Florida's defense for what they did in that game. You know, this was a much moreligne unit coming into the season. They clearly took it seriously trying to reboot things, and it felt like they were getting pressure on Carson back.
Speaker 1: It felt like they were able to obviously.
Speaker 3: Change the game with turnovers at least in the first half, with defensive backs being in the right place at the right time.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: If nothing more, if you're a Florida fan, one of the things you take away from this is the fact that they look pretty good I think on defense against a at a minimum, pretty good offense with Georgia, right, I mean that is a sign things are improving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how much can you say like we improved in a losing injured effort, Like it's just a hard sales job. It's not BILLI Napier's fault. I don't think that both Graham Hertz and DJ like Waar are hurt. But I guess you could point to offensive line issues. I guess you. I don't know. It just seems like they're just a team with bad luck. They're a team with full on bad luck. And I don't know how you judge. I can judge Georgia a little bit because Georgia seemed to be positioning themselves as an improving team even after disappointing performances against you know, teams like Kentucky even Mississippi State, but then look strong to excellent against Texas, look all over the place, including terrible early against Alabama that Florida was an opportunity as a double digit two touchdown plus favorite to say, Okay, we've settled into this groove. There was This was a grooveless experience from Georgia football. And so they're definitively decent. Good but not where they've been. Where do we rank Georgia. I don't know, man. They won their clunker, which we have to give them credit for.
Speaker 3: We had this debate on the car or in the car on the way over here. I think it's Oregon, Ohio State one, two.
Speaker 2: Okay, who's three?
Speaker 1: Do you put.
Speaker 3: Georgia three to you give them benefit of the doubt, you put Miami three. Miami has continue to win. They put up fifty some odd points today despite the fact they gave up thirty one to Duke.
Speaker 2: And not just thirty one to Duke. They gave They went on like a tear of mediocrity in the middle of this game against Duke. But yes they they won and finished strong.
Speaker 3: You know, you get you get to this point now where we start talking about rankings, where it's like, where do we put Texas? If Tennessee is truly on the ropes, where does we put where do we put Tennessee? Suddenly a team like A BYU is one that thankfully was on by this week, But does BYU get a nod up there? Clemson is also another team that's on the ropes. I didn't even mention the ACC. We can talk about them in a little bit, but you know, some I think further kind of stratification, if you will, in the ACC. As the Pit SMU game's going on right now, I'm confident saying at point in time, right now that we're recording this, ask him he's gonna win that game. They're up twenty eight points at halftime, right so, I mean we are starting to get some of the intel. I think that we need to try and break these teams down. Meanwhile, Notre Dame, also on buy probably stands to benefit more than anybody. Yes, it will not help them if A and M loses. Nonetheless, they are in the top ten, they're not going to be penalized for not playing a game. And if there are teams in front of them where there are questions emerging about them, or if they, frankly they've got an easier schedule than those teams in front of them, they're going to find themselves in a position where they can just keep gradually moving up.
Speaker 2: Look, you have to apply the same principles and standards to everybody, even as schedules are wildly different. And that is I don't know, take the three best teams. Each of these teams has played, which varies dramatically. How did that team play in those games? And then you take road games against conference opponents, how do they look in those games? And if you are looking at any of these teams and saying they haven't played well on the road, they haven't played well against quality teams, but they're winning games, knock them down if they're And I like not style for the sake of style, but generally speaking, Notre Dame has won by a lot of points. Generally speaking, Indiana, who has not played a tough schedule at all, has won by a lot of points. They have performed like an excellent team should be like they have performed against their schedule better than BYU has performed against its schedule. And so that's something I hold dearly in my chest. So that's that's how you can more broadly apply the same standards. But yeah, how you play on the road, how you play against the best teams, the quote unquote best teams, which is also subjective, And I think that's how you That's how, at least initially you have to apply. It doesn't matter until early December, it does not, No, but at least we can start shaping this a little bit.
Speaker 3: I mentioned the Big twelve thing earlier, yeap, as I often say, the Big twelve is now also on a blender. Iowa State loss today. Oh, to be clear, Arizona is fully blended the smoothie. The Arizona smoothie is ready for everybody to consume. Everybody can't consume. You CF beat them into a pulp today. Man, just an absolute massacre. I don't have my soundboard. That would be everybody got murdered sound right there. But I was State lost that game to Texas Tech. Taj Brooks. Taj Brooks will be a dude when we do our due to works sitement on Tuesday, he runs it in on a direct snap, ran it around the right tackle into the end zone. They end up winning twenty three to twenty two. And in the KSE State game, Houston, of all teams, scored fourteen points in the fourth quarter to knock off Case State to give them their second conference laws at present, who've.
Speaker 2: Been looking vulnerable by the way Case State against both Kansas and Colorado on the ropes.
Speaker 3: The writing was on the wall, and frankly it was on the wall for Iowa State as well. Absolutely all right, So we have seen this coming. We've kind of warned about it, regardless of who we picked and when we picked them. It's if you've been paying attention, you have seen that some of these games have been closer than you'd expect. So where are we stand right now in the Big twelve is actually quite interesting. Again, BYU stood, I think to benefit the most from this week because they didn't play, I didn't have anything to worry about. They've got Utah coming up in a rivalry game. I don't know how much we think of Utah, but I believe.
Speaker 1: It's a road game.
Speaker 3: It's still rivalry. Rivalries can get weird. So that's one to kind of take and put aside for another day. But you've now got this combination of teams that are vying, I think for that number two slot in the Big twelve, one of which is still Liillwa State, which only has one conference loss, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Cincinnati, Arizona State, who won Big TCU. Like all of these, here a bunch of teams that have two losses in the conference. But sitting there also with one loss is a Little Old Colorado.
Speaker 2: Little Old Colorado, right, because Nebraska's out of conference, right, Little Old Colorado, and they don't own the tiebreaker against k State, but otherwise are clean.
Speaker 3: Otherwise I believe they stand to benefit a lot from just winning out. Oh yeah, this was one of the circumstances that we talked through on our Tuesday episode.
Speaker 1: They needed Iowa State to lose check and they need to win out. We'll see tbchcheck number two.
Speaker 3: And then it would be helpful at this point in time if Case State beat Iowa State in the Farm Again game, just to leave no doubt, right. But if all of those things occur, there's a pretty good chance that Colorado is getting through that Big twelve title game to play against BYU.
Speaker 2: But also it's the Big Twelve. So as soon as you think a team is well positioned, or as soon as you think a team is dead to rights, Houston, TCU, whoever. I came into this conference season thinking, yeah, Utah is probably in good shape, Arizona's going to be very difficult to deal with, Colorado's.
Speaker 1: A wild card.
Speaker 2: And then Houston comes out and lays big old eggs they're back. Yeah, they are the undead, right, Like Kansas looked pretty bad now they look at least Kansas looks dangerous, right that they can put a lot of fear into a lot of teams. We'll see what happens. We'll see what that actually means. Means Utah has completely fallen off, we're to say, but kind of not in terms of greatness or difficulties. ASU and Cincinnati have kind of just sort of like been what they've been. They've sort of chugged along, you know what they are SU six and two. Oklahoma State goes to this conference's championship game last year and remained winless in this conference thus far. So I guess you can count on Oklahoma State on some level. This year, they've been consistently disappointing well.
Speaker 3: And then there's also the case of Texas Tech. Yes, Texas Tech lost back to back games not so long ago to both Arizona and Baylor.
Speaker 1: The Baylor game was you know.
Speaker 2: But also lost to Washington State, opened up giving up fifty to Abilene Christian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two conference losses, three overall, and as it goes for them the remainder of the season, They've got a game against Colorado which could end up being rather significant.
Speaker 1: Agree, They've got a game on the road at.
Speaker 3: Oklahoma State, which suddenly looks a lot more winnable hm. And they come back home to close things out against West Virginia, which also feels like a winnable game. Maybe not with West Virginia's proclivity to run the foot.
Speaker 2: Where's that game? As long as West Virginia is away from it's in Lubbock, ok So.
Speaker 3: I mean Texas Tech is another team that I don't think we could turn a blind eye to just because Look, they went on the road and they beat Iowa State.
Speaker 1: That's a really good win.
Speaker 3: They're just really tough to try and engage and feel confident about week in a week out. But I think that almost applies to this point to every team in the Big twe and.
Speaker 2: Then BYU from the Rafters, BYU Colorado as we all.
Speaker 3: Predicted, as as we all predicted, And then I guess the other kind of angle this week is what's going on in the ACC. So at time of recording, hopefully this.
Speaker 1: Won't be stale.
Speaker 3: Okay, what do we have with about nine minutes left in the fourth quarter? They'll Clemson has the ball and is driving at about midfield and plus territory. Louisville currently leads twenty six to seven.
Speaker 2: That's a lot to come back from.
Speaker 3: It's a lot to come back from for U and I talked about this earlier. What started as a pickleball effort from Kate clubneck.
Speaker 2: Let's let's cover our bases here. React to Clemson coming back and winning this game.
Speaker 1: Incredible win.
Speaker 3: Should be a top ten team, definitely cementing its spot as one of the top two teams in the ACC.
Speaker 2: They were down twenty six to seven with nine minutes left, and I don't want to bore you with the details of how they came back to win this game, but holy hell, how dramatic and impressive was that obviously a clunker of a performance the first three quarters plus. But this is what good teams do.
Speaker 1: Tie.
Speaker 2: They come back and they find ways to win. Okay, en scene, Now let's go through. Louisville pulls this out cleanly.
Speaker 1: Louisville pulls this one out cleanly first off. A great win for Louisville. Que go on the road to Death Valley and win that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tyler Schuck has not really won that big game and finally is able to sort of plant his flag.
Speaker 3: Had a beautiful rushing touchdown earlier in this game where he sort of dove into the Superman's summersault, which is pretty pretty awesome. Clemson losing this game gives them two losses on the season. Lost the game Week one in resounding fashion. Together one way, this would be their first in the ACC, so they would still obviously be in it, but by virtue of Miami winning, by virtue of I believe SMU pulling away from Pitt, that would mean that SMU and Miami are on a collision course. Now for this ACC title game, the rest of the way for SMU is pretty clean. By comparison, It is the easiest slate for the remainder of the season that I think you're going to find the ACC. If you're an SMU fan, I feel pretty good about that. What this does is it paves the way for those two teams to meet play for the ACC title game. It opens up the possibility that SMU could find a way to win the ACC in its first year in the conference, if not making into the playoff. I think it makes things really interesting with respect to these playoff rankings that they're going to release of all times election on Election Day at night correct before the ballots close, which no one will pay attention to, I'm sure, but where they put a team like an SMU maybe not the toughest schedule throughout the season, but at some point you got to take notice that they are playing really really solid football.
Speaker 2: Well, that they beat Louisville, who possibly just beat Clemson Clemson.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I think where I'm at with Clemson is they're going to need to get back to blowing teams out, and I'm not sure they can do what they did in the first half of their schedule moving forward, because, as we said on the preview episode, back half of the schedule gets harder for Clemson, not talking like they're playing Georgia every week, but we're talking about playing top twenty caliber teams, fringe top twenty teams a couple times over now throughout the month of November, close out the season against South Carolina.
Speaker 1: South Carolina is probably on the verge of being Texas.
Speaker 3: Ay now, it's a good South Carolina team, just as an example, not a conference game.
Speaker 2: Not a conference game.
Speaker 3: But that is more of the case I think for the remainder of the season for the clech So it's for them to work their way back into kind of that national conversation. It's a different calculation than I think we saw in the beginning part of the year.
Speaker 2: Well, they're on the road that sometimes some of these big twelve teams in contention are, which is they might not look great, they might not be highly rated as an at large playoff team. Just when you're conferencing, you get in as a top four seed, right, That's where Clemson is right now, and you neglect it to make to make another sort of mention with the ACC and that is Miami is happily undefeated, but they downloaded Hinge and they're swiping on some l's right, They're searching for an hell. They haven't really found that match yet, but between the Cal and Virginia Tech and Louisville and now Duke games, they're on the prowl for a loss.
Speaker 3: By the way, Camboard had one of the worst interceptions we've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yes, and some of the best plays, which is I guess the cam Ward experience.
Speaker 1: It is a dichotomy that is Camboard.
Speaker 2: It is he is so casual at times impressively so. Xavier Rostreppo was casually excellent with regularity. There's a lot to love about where this Miami team is in terms of scoring points, pulling out games whatever. Miami's got some work to clean up in terms of giving up the havoc plays like defenses are getting after them a little bit too much. If I'm a Miami fan, I'm a little bit concerned about the sacks and the tackles for lost that kind of thing. A little bit concerned about cam Ward just going ice cold for stretches. I'm a little bit concerned about a team like Duke not a great offense. This is not a powerful, high powered whatever offense. They rattled off like a twenty eight to three run. I believe in the middle of this game.
Speaker 3: Miami gave up over four hundred yards but forced four turnovers. Again, it's like cam Ward but on defense, right there's sliping'. There is a little bit of the good, a little bit of the bad. Yes, it's sort of the ink blot tests. You see what you want to see with Miami. They won fifty three to thirty one over Duke to remain unbeaten on the season, to remain unbeaten in conference. Why don't we wind this down here please, I'm going to do some quick word association with you.
Speaker 2: And we haven't even talked to Michigan Oorgan yet.
Speaker 1: We haven't even talked Michigan Oorgan. We're going to start.
Speaker 3: We're going to close things out with that game, okay, but just to make our way around college football here very quickly. Okay, I'll give you a couple of games and just give me your initial reaction.
Speaker 2: Sorry, there's an airbus flying overhead right now, as Yvonne Lendel closes out the third set.
Speaker 1: Syracuse thirty eight Virginia Tech thirty one in overtime?
Speaker 2: What do I think about? What do I know about this game?
Speaker 1: What are you? What's your reaction to that score.
Speaker 2: Awesome for Sarahcuse for coming back and pulling out a tough game after losing the way they did. For the way they did against pitt tough Virginia Tech team. Obviously, no starting quarterback, no starting running back, no.
Speaker 3: Starting quarterback, no starting running back. The game was in their grasp and they gagged it away.
Speaker 2: Yes, literally fell out of their hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and QS is now six and two bowligible, So good for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here one of the for animal.
Speaker 3: Another reaction, Give me your reaction to Minnesota twenty five Illinois seventeen.
Speaker 1: It's about right.
Speaker 2: It feels right, doesn't It sort of about right? Max Brosmer wasn't accomplishing much downfield from what I could see in this game, which I was just sort of switching back and forth to.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Minnesota's one four straight. They've covered five straight, which is important for the purpose at betting. Yeah, there were two fumbles in this game for Luke Altmeyer, one of which was a very critical fumble came inside the last minute as Illinois was driving in the red zone to potentially score the game time touchdown. So it was I'm not gonna say it was there for Illinois, but there were opportunities there.
Speaker 2: Good for Minnesota, the Utah of the Big ten, maybe Indiana forty seven, Michigan State ten old Utah of the Big Ten. Indiana's a war machine. They go down ten to nothing, ten to three, something like that, and they ripped off forty seven straight. They're incredible. Curtis work had a slow ish start in the first drive or two and then it was nothing but pain from Michigan State. They couldn't run the ball at all against Indiana. The offense gets all the attention and maybe rightfully so on a certain level for Indiana, but defense has been playing. Again. These are not huge opponents. They have played a mediocre schedule at best, but they are doing to that mediocre schedule what an excellent team should be doing. They don't play single digit games. No, this was nowhere near a game. Pretty quickly you.
Speaker 3: See f fifty six Arizona twelve man, rest in peace. You're down on Zona.
Speaker 2: I just it's a new way to lose, an embarrassing fashion. And like I was one of those people after I think it was Northern Arizona Week two where there was they're just not moving the ball. There's just so many mistakes. You're like, you know what, it's week two working out the kinks. Maybe they didn't take this team seriously. I don't know. Something is off with this team. They've already made a change at play caller. The defense is a mess at times, as we saw today against what third string quarterback.
Speaker 3: Basically this is the all time case of the backup being better than the starter, but it actually goes a level deeper. Is the backup to the backup better than the starter? Because listen, that not only applies to the offense.
Speaker 1: With quarterback Ryan.
Speaker 3: Rizzick miss five passes through for three ninety four and three touchdowns, fire their defensive coordinator. Yeah, believe new play caller on offense, Like they have changed a lot here midstream r J Harvey went off to RJ Harvey had like one hundred and eighty four yards and a bunch touchdowns. So, I mean this has been a roller coaster rider for you, a UCF fan. A couple more here and then we're going to close out with Oregon, Michigan, Ole Miss sixty three, Arkansas thirty one.
Speaker 2: There's always that team that doesn't actually play in the huge game or the huge games but you kind of know belongs in that space. And the best of all Miss is, from what I can tell from AFAR, as dangerous as most, if not every team. The problem is that's eighty three percent of the time for Ole Miss. It's not every week.
Speaker 3: The problem is the Penn State thing. Yeah, it's the Penn State thing where you know the team's got talent obviously very very good. Can they get to that next level? This might be And we talked there's another thing we talked about in the car. Might be the best team that does not make the playoffs, right, and it might not even be close. Sixty three to thirty one against Arkansas. Arkansas's a plucky team. Jackson Dart by the way, had a school record five hundred and fifteen passing yards tied to school record with six touchdowns at this game. Ole Miss on the whole had six hundred and ninety four yards of offense against.
Speaker 2: Against so totally decent Arkansas team.
Speaker 3: Against totally decent Arkansas team in Fayetteville, Yes, in Faithville, Yeah, Oregon, Michigan. We were at this game. We sat in the press box for this game. Thirty eight to seventeen was your final at one point. It seemed as if the points spread was not going to hit.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: A little bit of a backdoor cover for the Michigan Wolverines. Oregon had the ball late, they were down inside the five yard line. They decided they were going to score the touchdown. Totally unnecessary touchdown. They could have taken the knee with twenty five seconds left. Pack Yes, they did get it into the end engine, so they win by twenty one.
Speaker 2: I didn't say this out loud because I didn't want to curse it or want it to happen or whatever. A little bit of the like Mario crystal ball, you can just kneel it and leave with a win in like a close It wasn't a close game, but in kind of a weird ending of a game that Oregon went pretty cold in the second half offensively, or at least in the third quarter. They took our business thirty eight to seventeen. If we kind of forget the rhythms of this game is going to look better, maybe even a lot better than thirty one seventeen. Thirty one to seventeen could have the you know the feel of kind of back and forth, and Oregon scores late thirty eight to seventeen is like, hyeah, I beat them by three touchdowns.
Speaker 3: Here's what I'll say about this game. It felt like this one was going to be over at halftime.
Speaker 2: Yes, twenty eight ten at halftime.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight ten at halftime.
Speaker 3: Oregon ripped off twenty one in the second quarter. After halftime, Michigan did a pretty good job bottling him up.
Speaker 2: Oregon scored right before and got the ball back. Yeah. Yeah, they were to dominate the middle eight but didn't.
Speaker 1: It felt as if that game was over.
Speaker 3: But the way that Michigan rebounded, specifically on defense, I thought was impressive. I also thought Davis Warren looked pretty good. I don't have his final stat line in front of me. I don't know if he is striking the fear of God into a good defense right all things consider, given where they started and where I think they're at now, Davis Warren has definitely been a success story. He threw some nice throws in the red zone for touchdown passes.
Speaker 1: He didn't he hit.
Speaker 3: You knows how to hit Colston Lovelin very much might be the only thing he knows how to do in the passing game, but that definitely gives them a little bit of a flare on that offense that we have not seen before. What I do not get is why they continue to use alex Orgy in the manner that they are, because it is so telegraphed he's not going to throw the ball. There was that play in the fourth quarter on a big fourth down. They're trying to get back in this thing. They need to score a touchdown. Instead of bringing Davis Warren into try and throw another touchdown pass, which he had done very nicely earlier in the game, they bring in alex Orgie. They try a gadget play where it's homage Morgan throwing to alex Orgi.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's a throwback. Yes, it was a pitch to Samaje Morgan, a backwards pass, alex Orgy going out mateo Oui Anglla staying with him. The defensive end, the edge rusher for Oregon. It not being there.
Speaker 3: If you're going to bring the backup quarterback in, yeah, if you want to throw the ball, what like, shouldn't the quarterback be the one throwing the ball? Sometimes it works, but in that moment, it just felt like it felt like an unnecessary Well, there's.
Speaker 2: Just no threat of a dropback situation on fourth and goal. With alex Orgi, there's no threat of that telegraphed.
Speaker 3: And so I think, if I'm a Michigan fan, that's what I'm most frustrated with. The quarterback thing was always going to be weird. Now you lose Jack Tuttle, that's unfortunate. Yes, these are the guys that you're rolling with. Now the rest of the year, you're rolling with Davis Warren, you're rolling with alex Orgie. I think the balance they had a week ago is pretty good. Right this week, I don't know if there was much of a balance at all, because we knew what was going to happen.
Speaker 1: Every time alex Orgie came in. He was gonna run the football.
Speaker 2: He threw one ball away, He threw one away at Yah, threw one away.
Speaker 1: He did have a nice run he did down the left sideline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I was keeping track and it's like one out of every seven times he gets the ball. You get like a decent size game, and those don't seem like good odds, especially when you're in a high leverage moment late in the game. You need a touchdown and try and get back into the game.
Speaker 2: Well, and when you find yourself on second and eight second and nine second and eleven when he comes in on first down and you're just behind the sticks with Alex Orgie more often than not, and it was I don't think it makes a difference, honestly. Like the number of plays that Davis Warren was able to make was impressive. It was basically to one guy between the twenties or you know, for the first eighty yards of the field in Colston Lovelin, which was great. If you could make it work, that's great. Found a couple guys in the end zone, great. He was very good in short yardage, goal line situations. This was not a team that I mean, it's not a team that's built to separate itself from decent teams, let alone beat decent teams at this point in the season, given their quarterback situation, the rhythms for Oregon were impressive. Evan Stewart definitely dropped that touchdown pass. The Big Ten definitely should have reviewed it. The Big Ten kind of screwed Oregon over in that Ohio State game, kind of screwed Michigan over in this game. Probably made a difference in the Ohio State game probably would not have made the difference. In this game. Oregon ran strongly. They suffered. You know, their best receiver went down in Tesed Johnson early on. I think he's gonna be out for a long stretch of time. We'll see if that comes to bite Organ on some level. He's Dylan Gabriel safety blanket. But Oregon had a complete performance when it seemed like the pocket was breaking down. Dylan Gabriel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in a complicated place to play, In.
Speaker 2: A complicated place to play. Crowd was into this game. Michigan was able to get some stuff. It was Dylan Garbriel is able to succeed downfield.
Speaker 3: In a year in college football where it feels like there is a lot of uncertainty abound. Right this is the best team in college football, if nothing more than the most consistent.
Speaker 2: Right now, They're they're the hinds ward as Bain blows up the field in Yeah dark is it dark Knight? Dark Knight?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no dark Knight rises, yes, So yeah, it's it's very nice that if Oregon is having longer stretches beat against Indiana, be it against Michigan State, be it against Michigan today as we record this, that they're winning this by three touchdowns, that they're winning not clunkers but semi stalled games by multiple scores. So look, this is any other results you want to rattle through. Just like to tip your cap to anybody anything particular. AB won a game, UA B won a game. We could tip our cap to U. C.
Speaker 1: L Ay.
Speaker 3: We will have more to discuss on that game as we get a little bit deeper into the Bailey looked pretty good against Stanford. Yeah, absolutely had a nice day for NC State. Only missed two throws, so kudos to him. Omar and Hampton had a huge day for North Carolina. I don't want to dunk too much on Florida State, but just not a good performance for them. They gave up seven sacks and ten tackles for loss from a UNC defense.
Speaker 1: That is, let's be honest, not the show.
Speaker 2: It's prett blow average. By the way, speaking of elite losers, what did you freeze?
Speaker 1: Do you freeze?
Speaker 2: Lost to Vandy and diego Pavia again again.
Speaker 3: Seventeen to seven, and you know, shout out Asu mentioned Asu before, Yeah, ESU winning forty two to twenty one. Sam Levitt really nice game over Oklahoma State. So look, we're almost out of battery juice here. Okay, I don't want to lose this audio again. Thanks for bearing with us. We appreciate your patience. We will be back on Tuesday with a more complete preview of the things that we did not discuss here as we have a chance to kind of sit and process all this information. Please make sure he hit follow, Please make sure he hits subscribe. Apologies for the video being outlaid. Apologies if the audio sounds a little bit different, but we're kind of back to our roots.
Speaker 2: You're gonna make sure it sounds good. Come back to our roots.
Speaker 1: Just kind of going with the flow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, baby, help, we've got a plane. We got a plane maybe a little bit.
Speaker 1: We have a little bit of a plane coming in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. For that guy over there, Dan Rubenc for myself, Tie Hildebrand, as always, staytes like piece