Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal For me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edith state is that? Woo woof? And Dan and Tie.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Salid Rebel Boys and Girls. My name is Tai Hill, the brand, that fine gentleman over there, the one, the only still after all this time, the incomparable Dan Rubinstein, Sir, sir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sir, how are you? I'm good? I was hoping you were ready with the Leanne Rhymes drop of still the one or I don't know if you're a was it Leanne Rhymes? Or who is the other one?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: Shania Twain?
Speaker 2: Still the one? Okay?
Speaker 1: So who did the competing? There was from con Air? What was the the song at the end of How Do I Live? That was how Do I Live? That was Leanne Rhymes? So there were two versions though, oh it was There was a Faith Hill version and a Leanne Rhymes version. I believe I.
Speaker 2: Believe Leeann Rimes had it first, right did she? Okay, I'll look this.
Speaker 1: Up starting the show of fire here Okay, still the one? Yeah, Shania Twain? That makes sense. So yeah, I'm I'm happy we didn't spend all of our money licensing that song for you to drop at the beginning of this episode. But I'm glad I'm still the one in your eyes, because as we get into today's episode, there are a lot of players out there looking at their current schools, are now past schools, and saying, you know, maybe you're not still the one now, maybe you're not the one for me. So I think we accidentally stumbled on quite a nice segue in the audio world.
Speaker 2: That's what you call a pro segue, boys and girls, because we certainly did not plan that, but Daniel stuck the landing. Thank you as always for joining me, and thank you to all of you out there listening at home, over the river and through the woods, perhaps the grandmother's house you go here through the holiday season. We're going to continue to doing three episodes a week through the end of the college football season. We appreciate you subscribing to The Solid Verbal. If you haven't already, please do so out on Apple, on Spotify, or really anywhere you get your podcasts. Don't forget if you are a Spotify listener or an Apple listener to leave us a five star rating. If you like the show, Apple, let's you leave these little things called reviews. We'd appreciate any support you'd care to offer in that forum. Don't forget to subscribe to the YouTube channel. We've been posting a lot out there, not just the coach streams, but we're trying to figure out what else we're gonna do now as we get into the playoffs and deeper into bull season and last but certainly not least, just going out to Solid verbal dot com. It's where we post ongoing weekly articles written from our good friends Travis Connor and Bradley. There's a sign up form for a newsletter there Solid Giveaway dot com. If you want to compete or I don't know, just enter. You don't have to compete for anything has to win a signed Desmond Howard Mini helmet. All sorts of stuff going on here in theverbawlerhood, Daniel.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to keep track of it all, and I'm excited for each and every one of those items that you mentioned, as as I'm thinking about my takes on these transfers.
Speaker 2: So here is the way that this show is going to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have talked at.
Speaker 2: Nauseum about the Bowl games. We did a huge Bowl preview. You can go back and listen Monday, and I guess Wednesday of last week, we went through in two batches all of the Bowl games they started playing. Of course, our Winter Wonders confidence pool is well under way. Was pleased to see that a number of folks took my advice and wagered a bunch of their points early. Because of the way that the game was set up, it gave you the option to put a boatload of points on Jackson State, and why wouldn't you put a boatload of points on day up?
Speaker 1: And it really sold me on that tie. Yeah, and guess what, guests who just got thirty one to.
Speaker 2: Ten, they lose to South Carolina State the Celebration Bowl, and yeah, that one left to mark. But otherwise, folks are having fun with the Winter Wonders game and we're talking about it over in the overball Er discord on Patreon. But we talked about that, and you talked about the recruiting game with a good friend Brandon Hoffman from twenty four to seven Sports. I did, and we talked obviously and nause about coaching news with our friend Bruce Fellman and others. Pete Sampson, Ryan Abraham on the Monday Show.
Speaker 1: What we haven't talked about.
Speaker 2: Is the transfer portal. That's also true, the transfer portal. So the transfer portal has been gaining steam, as you know, over the last couple of seasons, more guys are taking advantage of the transfer portal, and now because of a rule change, the one time transfer rule whereby you can just throw your name in there and if you find a new home, you can go and you can play immediately Noah Sands or Butts. Yeah, this thing has taken on a whole new life. It is gotten far, far, far, far far more significant as a postseason story, at least in our world here in college football, because so many guys are going to use it now to try and find new opportunities. So it has been very active, not just on the coaching front, but also on the I guess secondary market, the black market when it comes to all things recruiting. So many big names in the transfer portal. So we're gonna play a little game here today, aren't we We are?
Speaker 1: I don't know if yeah, I guess we didn't name the game per se or do you have one in mind, I have some sounds. I know you have some sounds I do, so I guess we can just sort of determine whether or not based on the actual decision to transfer, which of course we are not privy to the personal reasons for these guys, and how we foresee it going for some already declared destinations for the guys who have entered and now left the portal for the new destination, and we'll just evaluate our thoughts on them whether or not it is a successful journey, or will be a successful journey, or will be fraught with unforeseen danger.
Speaker 2: Here is how we're going to frame this out. Okay, yeah, you heard the transfer portal sound. I've had this one for years.
Speaker 1: Of course. That's from Super.
Speaker 2: Mario Brothers or Super Mario Brothers, as the cultured among us would say. There are three things that could happen when you try to jump down a flower pot or a warp pipe, if you want to get specific. In the old Mario games. The first is it can take you far ahead in the game. It can catapult you to a better space. It can also take you sort of sideways into a bonus or an underground world where you're really just trying to scoop up coins. Let's be honest, sure of course, and the final thing that can happen to you is you die. As we know, because parah of plants hide in those things. You don't always know. Unless you know, you don't really know if it's going to be a parana plan or if it's going to take you to like World number seven.
Speaker 1: To be clear, you're not going to die if you transfer to South Carolina. That we know, probably not right, Probably probably not? Yeah, probably not. Yeah. I mean, look this we are. We are in the midst of a lot of people not just deciding whether or not they want to enter the portal, but where they go, what factors are important to them. You know, if this is a long term, if you have two three years of eligibility left, is it the right move?
Speaker 2: Was that the sound when you were underwater and potentially drowning from Mario three?
Speaker 1: No, I think you're making a decision that like some toad layer about oh you have to pick like the or the toad suit. Yeah, no, Ty, You're absolutely right. And the thing is, though, because this the transfer window, guys are leaving in the middle of the season saying they're entering the portal when things aren't going their way and they're a limited number of spots. Sometimes you can't hurried up, you know, you just quarterback transfers here, quarterback transfers there. I love the competing soundboard thing is either the best or worst thing ever to happen to this show. And you're absolutely right, Tie, you end up going down the wrong tube, the wrong portal. Yeah, there it is, could go wrong, but you go to the right place. Kyler, Murray, Baker, Mayfield, Jalen Hurts and you're just hammering, Buddy, you're just hammering on the video. They don't just make it like they don't make game music like they used to. So no, let's let's go down the list of the highest profile or the most intriguing, unexpected whatever transfers across the sport, be it quarterback, be it defensive line, be it I mean, honestly, I listen to this guy. To me, he decided to transfer, he decided to take his talents elsewhere, and he's I am assuming, recruiting current Oregon players and commits because that's who he is. I'm not salty, Tie, I'm just not h Where we starting. We're starting with Spencer Ratler, were starting Dylan Gabriel. We got start a choice.
Speaker 2: We gotta start with quinn Ewers. Let's go quinn yours gotta start with quinn Ewers. So quinn Ewrs was a top recruit in the twenty twenty one class, reclassified so he can get to Ohio State. Early projected as a top ten pick out of high school. I think got a one point zero zero zero rating from twenty four to seven Sports, which is on the level of like Trevor Lawrence. He's really good or at least coming out of high school, very very good. Totally we called this transfer, I feel like after week one of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we called a major transfer. Like the Ohio State quarterback room was just not going to be big enough to hold c. J. Stroud, quinn Ewrs, Jack Miller, Kyle McCort like all you like. Eventually this was gonna and Jack Miller also left. Eventually this room was going to thin out for sure.
Speaker 2: So yeah, quinn Ewers decides, Okay, I'm taking my talents elsewhere. Number one over over from south Lake, Texas, a northern suburb of Dallas. There's no surprise that when he threw his name in the portal. The Texas schools were the ones that I think immediately got a lot of steam. He ended up at ut YEP with Steve Sarkesian. There's no way this can't be positive. Okay, that being said, it is certainly not a slam dunk. It is not a slam dunk. Texas quarterbacks this year kind of got worse as the year went on, and it's probably not fair to lumpquin you. Weres into that, right, But I just don't think it's a slam dunk that him coming aboard is going to take this program to the next level. If he played defense, maybe we could talk. Defense was really what got stuck in Texas's crawl second half of the year.
Speaker 1: But I like the move.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's it's anything other than positive. You have to be incredibly excited if you're a Texas fan to get the number one overall recruit from the twenty one class, somebody who are really high ceiling, someone who's from the state of Texas, Like that's all gravy. Sark's been good with quarterbacks. That there's a lot to like here, for sure. I just I feel like there are other transfers that we're going to talk about. That to me feel like more of a slam dunk is something that's just going to accelerate a program forward. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a total, incomplete slam dunk. I think it's great. I think to have that level of talent. To look at, first of all, what Texas was able to do with this specific recruiting class. I know there was like, oh is Quen you were part of the class of twenty twenty two. Obviously he had reclassified and you know he's part of the incoming players coming right now. What I'd like to see from Texas is what does the receiver room look like moving forward? They brought in good offensive line talent in this class, another area where they need to improve. But given Sarks a recent success at quarterback, and you mentioned look, Hudson Card was named the starter, did not work out, replaced by Casey Thompson, who showed a lot of promise early on, bombed downfield really well. Xavier Worthy was a freshman who popped. The receiving room is still somewhat thin to me. They have a game changing running back and Casey Thompson entered the portal wasn't named the starter then was hurt him? I think he hurt his thumb, by the way, So that is at least a partial reason why quarterback play fell off at times. That's during the during the Texas season. So no, I mean you want to give your what do you Your phrase is what as many bites at the apple as possible? Yeah, Look, Texas has a quarterback with seemingly unlimited arm talent whatever that seems to mean, and is enthusiastic is coming back to his own state. I just it's a huge, like a humongous win. It's a huge. I don't see any downside at all to this, other than there is going to be more pressure on him than an ordinary Texas quarterback, of which there's already a ton of pressure to succeed there. And look, we've seen what mac Jones was able to do, We've seen what all sorts of guys you know, to a with Sark, and so I'm I'm entirely optimistic that this will be a success story. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, I am not saying it's a bad thing to get. Then it's a huge win for Sark.
Speaker 1: Talk about a dub, but he's but he's not the missing piece. He's not the Texas and the playoffs.
Speaker 2: He's not the missing piece, and I hope for his sake people don't treat him as such. He can definitely take the offense to another dimension. Sure, I don't think there's any question about that if he lives up to the billing. But they got to figure out the defense. Defense was very much lacking and.
Speaker 1: Can and the incoming class has a lot of interesting pieces that could be rotation guys pretty early on.
Speaker 2: So I think we feel pretty good, right, we feel good ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd like to see who else comes in in the portal. By the way, for Texas, that to me is going to be the fascinating thing. They lost a bunch of guys, but yeah, this is just going to be I think another active score. This is what happens with a new coach and a new coach who has seen what he has or doesn't have after a year. So yep, I'll win.
Speaker 2: Let's stay in the Great State of Texas, and let's talk about Max Johnson. Max Johnson transferring over to A and M from LSU. He just announced that a few days ago. It's unclear to me why this happened. I understand that his younger brother, Jake is a four star tight end in the twenty twenty two class, also committed to A and M. What like, was this a move to keep Jake on the on the roster? Like, Well, they lose that Calzada right to the portal before the season even ends, and we talked about them, what starting they lost one quarterback to the tight end room. Uh, and they could be starting a walk on in their bowl game. It just seems like there's not that many people. They've got a huge commit signee coming in, but you're not going to rely on a true freshman when that roster has been built to the point where it should be competing for the SEC. So he's experienced the upside of Max Johnson is winning SEC football. We know what the downside is and we know the upheaval and LSU a lot of these guys in a lot of these situations. And we'll definitely get into with bo Nix and Oregon is talking yourself into a better fit at a new destination, right, And that's and that's I think where I have right some questions about this. I understand your total A and M perspective, right, Yeah, Kalzada is walking out. You don't know yet really what you have with Haines King, Connor Wegman, your incoming, you know, quarterback of the future, perhaps compared to Dak Prescott by twenty four to seven. Like that's a good comp You feel good about that if you're an A and M fan and their class was Gangbusters. But if you're Jimbo Fisher, Yeah, I get it. You want to add a skilled hand, somebody who can go in there and at least give you what Calzada did. Sure, and can Max Johnson do. Yeah, he's definitely an upgrade over Zach Calzada. Oh h yeah, I think Yeah, I get it totally from Jimbo's perspective. What I don't get it is from Max's perspective. Is there because there are definitely programs out there where he could go and wouldn't have to compete to be a starter. So he's going to go to A and M where he's got two other guys at least that are also competing for that job, both of whom probably have more arm talent. Like why would he put himself in that situation?
Speaker 1: Because he wants to win on the highest level and believes he can beat out his competition Haines King coming off of an injury and a true freshman like, it's not that like Haines King was not bulletproof and the very small window we saw him in. And so if you're Max Johnson, you think to yourself, Okay, they've recruited on a crazy good level. I will be put into a position. And now you have to remember Dad is Brad Johnson goes way back FSU Jimbo Fisher. Right, there's that connection there. So there's a certain amount of trust if you're Max Johnson and saying this guy has a reputation, maybe not the most fair recently, but has a reputation for developing quarterbacks. Well, whereas the upheaval at LSU coming off of whatever, you know, Max Johnson getting two different coordinators in two years, a lame duck coach, like, we all need fresh starts sometimes. And so if you're Max Johnson, you say, Okay, I will be throwing two guys a receiving room that's growing and becoming more and more impressive, behind a growing offensive line that's young. That's interesting. Whereas if he goes somewhere he's guaranteed to start. There's probably a reason why that place has a guaranteed starting spot for him, and that's probably because they haven't able to find a quarterback. They haven't been able to find a quarterback who wants to play behind that line or throw to those receivers. And so I don't know, you got to take a chance on yourself sometimes. And if a major program like A and M says, yeah, we can plug you in and we think we can win ten plus games, I know, I understand being seduced by that. I get that.
Speaker 2: I do, Yeah, I get it. I just I'm not a huge Max Johnson fan. I like him a lot more at the end of last season than I did through the courses this year, and it was a tumultuous year.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I have nothing against him personally, obviously, but it just seems like an odd fit to me. So for me, I think we're kind of saying the same thing though. This is definitely not the kind of move that is going to catapult A and M to playoff or sec you know, championships, But it's also not a step back, right. This is very much a sideways move that at worst case scenario is going to build depth in that quarterback room. We feel about same on that.
Speaker 1: I think he's going to start. I honestly, I mean, right now, with who he's competing against, I think he's likely the starter. I don't think it's just a depth play. I think he will not give. I don't think he was given assurances that he would start, but I think he was given assurances that it might be a pretty advantageous battle. I mean, you're right, and look, he's succeeded against some teams in the SEC. He has that experience. I get it. I totally get it. If you're Max Johnson, where you're like, I believe myself to be a high level SEC quarterback and this is a place that I can step into and have my talents maximized.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, do we agree that it's more sideways than a huge jump forward?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think so. Yeah. I think yeah, had to play, he would There are opportunities high G five, low power five where I think he could have stepped into and bitten an assured starter and succeed. But I think all of those places have lower ceilings in terms of his development. All right, dude, talk to me about bo Nix. To Oregon must we I both gave this immediate consideration when I saw that he entered the portal because of the connection to Kenny Dillingham, Oregon's new offensive coordinator, given their their ties together at Auburn a couple of years ago. But it's sort of the same, Like I feel like a lot of Auburn criticism and a lot of Auburn fan opinion of Bonnicks was similar to Oregon opinion and fan criticism of Anthony Brown in that he would struggle to throw within the rhythm of the offense, just taking a snap play action, step into the pocket, throw it to the dude who should be open because the defense is in cover three or whatever. That he had to improvise and play hero ball a little bit too much, check down a little bit too early. I think there's a famous clip of Gus Malsh looking perplexed as to why bon Nicks immediately checked a ball down when he wasn't being pressured or like. There was just those clips out there, which I think I'm sure was very similar to if you had a camera trained on Joe moorehead at Oregon. So we know his upside is how we finished the twenty twenty one season before he got hurt. He played really well in three of those final four games against the Mississippi Schools in Arkansas, and didn't play well against A and M. I believe if he's the starter opens the year against Georgia next year and has not performed all that well against the Dogs. But if you are an Oregon fan, and if you are bon Nicks, if you're an Oregon fan, you're saying, look, he was playing in under an inordinate amount of pressure at Auburn, given his last name given, winning the starting job as a true freshman, because obviously Joey Gatewood was not of that quality and Malik Willis was not ready to be of that quality, and so he left before bon Nix's start. And then he beats Oregon. So there's like all this pressure right away, though like oh man, even though that game he had wasn't so good, he threw the game when he passed, there's all this pressure. And there's the picture of him at the twenty ten National Championship game. And so we've seen this story in a different version. We've seen the story, like, right, Kyler Murray comes in as the number one guy and has all these issues at Texas A and M. It's a bad fit. You know, he's in and out whatever I mean. Bon Nicks was benched against Georgia State this year and came back strong when he won the job back. I guess if you're talking yourself into it, it's change of change of coast, change of geography, change of coaches, change of pressure. Walking into a place that should have a better offensive line and better skill talent. Because the Auburn receiving room wasn't all that great this year. It's just sort of nobody emerged as a true number one guy. So the thinking is fresh start. You know, it's a new Bonnix. He showed signs this year of taking a step forward. And he's not throwing into the Georgia defense the Alabama defense. Well, he's throwing to the Georgia defense, but throwing into pack twelve defenses. So it's a more advantageous spot for a quarterback. My counter argument to that is we're three years into the Boennicks experience and he's sort of, for better or worse, is who he is. So I think it's probably going to end up being a sideways experience for Bonicks and Oregon, if you have the sound at the ready, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I'm not so sure it's not a step back.
Speaker 1: Okay for whom?
Speaker 2: For Oregon?
Speaker 1: Okay, they have quarterbacks in the future, at least one that Oregon fans feel good about, TDD Thompson. But yeah, I think can be good in a very specific system where you're not asking him to do too much. Okay, what do we know about what Kenny Dillingham's going to do? We have any kind of clue as to what that scheme is going to look like with him at the helm. All I've heard is Dan Lanning had a quote. New Oregon head coach Dan Lanning had a quote that said, just because I have a defensive background doesn't mean we won't be airing it out. See that's not what I mean.
Speaker 2: Going to Bone Knicks.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently Lane Kiffin wanted bon Nix allegedly, But Lane Kiffin has a much better quarterback background than I think anybody on the Oregon staff has at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I mean I was high on bon Knicks when he was a true freshman, and I remember his first game, and his first game wasn't good, but then he pulled out some last second heroics, and yeah, such began the early legacy of bon Nicks, and it's been kind of love hate with him the rest of the way. He's had flashes and then he's had some pretty low lows out there. Yeah, this year in particular, this move kind of surprised me because bo Nix is a legacy. His father went to Auburn, and it seemed as if, at least to some extent, he had turned a corner. And we had talked a year about it being kind of like a different bo Knicks, a different bo Knicks, but not leaning on him as heavily, and it seemed like they got more out of him.
Speaker 1: So he definitely took some of those throws against Arkansas. It was really impressive.
Speaker 2: I agree, So I thought bo Nix hac quitted himself.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: It surprised me to hear that he was leaving, and it surprised me even more to hear that Oregon might want to bring him up there. So, you know, it reminds me a little bit of the circumstance we just talked about with Max Johnson. I don't think bow Knicks is going to transform this Oregon offense under Kenny Dillingham into something that it hasn't been. Oregon has been synonymous with really good offense, for better or worse, whether that's a good comparison or not, ever since Chip Kelly left, and so I don't think that bow Knicks is going to get them back to that level. I do think he can give them some quarterback depth. I do think he's better than Anthony Brown, which at the minimum is not a bad thing. I am curious though, as to how him coming to the Pacific Northwest is going to impact the quarterback rope, because, as he said, they they've got Ty Thompson, who everybody's really excited about. Right. Is he going to see this and be put off and decide that he wants to go into the portal like what.
Speaker 1: He apparently he apparently tweeted out ten toes down, which I had to look up what that means. Okay, it means you're all in right, your feet are in front of you all you know, you're you're sold on the ground, you're moving forward, uh not moving away, moving forward, and you're you're fully committed.
Speaker 2: I get that. I get that, but you just, especially in this era, you worry about any kind of knock on effect from this, of course, so it could be a situation like we're describing at A and M, where maybe bo Nix is the starter week one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he has two years of eligibility, right, We got two years eligibility out, so.
Speaker 2: I I'm very skittish about turning the reins of a brand new offense over to Boonix. I felt much better about Bonnicks coming back to Auburn after what we saw this year, but the fact that he's leaving, right, I would almost rather if I were an Oregon fan, have a fresh start with ty Thompson. Fresh start, new coordinator, Yeah, new quarterback, Let's move forward, let's accept some growing pains if you really believe in the kid. But bo Nick's transforming this thing, I for me kind of feels like a step back. I'm not into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, I get it from the organ perspective of needing experience. There's no experience in that quarterback room. Zero. Like ty Thompson has played a couple of games in garbage time, presumably Kenny Dillingham has either heard or watched practice cut ups and said, we need more than this. We definitely need more than this, and so I think, at worst you're get what you've already seen, and at best you're getting an improved situation. So that's why I'm going sideways. You were pretty down on bon Nicks for the better. Sideways isn't fun. I don't think the bone like he was inaccurate. He was inconsistent at best downfield. Some of the simple throws he just couldn't make all the time, which was a bummer to watch. And you know, you're hopeful that now he's going to be a fourth year guy that you know there'll be incremental improvement. And I know I'm not high on the move at the moment, and I like to judge. You know, you listen to even rational Auburn fans because they do exist, and they're like, well, that's the Bonix experience, which is kind of how I felt about the Mario Cristo Baal and lack of finding a quarterback experience last year. So I'm not excited. I'm not excited, but I can see the architecture. I can see the framing of how it works out, at least in a positive way. I'm just not there.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Dylan Gee, Let's talk about another PAC twelve transfer, Dylan Gabriel transferring out from UCF going to UCLA.
Speaker 1: This is a big move.
Speaker 2: So Dylan Gabriel through for thirty six hundred yards his first year, almost thirty six hundred yards a second year as over sixty touchdown passes to just eleven interceptions, and two full seasons got hurt earlier in the year for UCF. Has decided that he's going to UCLA, which is a really interesting move for Chip Kelly. He's a smaller guy, he's five to eleven, he's one eighty six. He's definitely not a runner. So it's a different kind of quarterback than DTR, but undeniably better passer, undeniably better passer, much more consistent on that side of things. Again, for a situation, I think, for sure would be more helpful if he could play defense. But as quarterback play goes, I don't think there's any two ways about this being a clear and immediate upgrade over what they've had. And d TR was okay at his moments. He was inconsistent, but DTR, I think, all things considered, was it took a step forward this year.
Speaker 1: He was fine.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was okay, I really like this move. I just I'm I'm unclear as to how he fits into the offense and what the offense will look like.
Speaker 1: Right, But outside of that, to.
Speaker 2: Get a talent like a Dylan Gabriel, I think it's just like a huge dub for Chip Kelly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The question to me is because UCF had legit strong receivers these past couple of years, and this was an offense under Josh Hipel that was bombing it deep, UCLA doesn't have those guys. Now, maybe they don't. Dylan Gabriel made those guys, but probably not because they've you know, Kyle Phillips is fine, but I think Kyle Phillips is probably the third or fourth best receiver on a really strong team. And if he's your number one guy, it's Greg Dulcich the tight end. Impressive, But who's Dylan Gabriel throwing to. Are they bringing other receivers into the portal? Are their guys coming in as true freshman this year that they feel like are going to immediately step in and be part of a lethal offense. I kind of get it from Dylan Gabriel's perspective in that you're from Hawaii, Chip Kelly's guy. With Marcus Mariota, you're a lot closer to home. You can step into the starting role a lot more easily. I get it from his perspective of just like fresh start. You know, Gus Malzan doesn't recruit him. Maybe it's not a fit, whatever, But I don't know. Maybe it's it's the Green and Yellow in me saying like why wouln't you just go to Oregon? Then why weren't you Just it's a new coach and obviously you know, Chip Kelly has the cachet as an offensive mine much more so than whatever Kenny Dillingham. I don't even know if that was even official, But like, I don't know, if you want to go to the West Coast, I felt like, you know, I mean, ASU wasn't making a change, but USC, I don't know, it seems like there were I mean, I guess they're high on Jackson Dart, but I don't know the UCLA offensive situation. They ran the ball pretty well at times, and so maybe that opens things up, but even still, like who are you thrown to? Who's protecting you? And maybe it improves I know their offensive coordinator is a big offensive line guy and a well respected dude in that world. I don't know. I think UCLA has a severe lack of winter wonders that. Yeah, I think it's going to become a shorter field than Dylan Gabriel's used to. Yeah, that will be interesting, And I think that's my question as well, because without the receiving talent, there is an open question as to how much they can utilize that arm talent from Dylan Gabriel.
Speaker 2: I still like the move. I still think it's a great move. And if you've been following the portal as we have, there was a lot of smoke that Spencer Ratler was going to end up at Easter, which we'll talk about Spencer Ratler going to South Carolina momentarily here, But so you know to what degree those two players had influence over where one went or didn't go. That remains to be seen. But Dylan Gabriel to Ucla, in my some questions, might not take them all the way to World eight, but can it take them like two or three worlds in the future. Can it give them something of a lift on offense. I think it's one less thing you have to worry about because it's definitely an upgrade in the consistency department at quarterback, totally absent of what the offense actually looks like. I think it's just a better player. There is an injury concern there, and he is a bit of a smaller dude, so I think you worry about that a little bit. It's not something that I'm going to go hook line and sinker for, but I think it's definitely a positive direction here for UCLA.
Speaker 1: Good move, Jake Bobo transferring in from Duke wide receiver CLA. Okay, well that does it then, son of Mike, I think the same Mike Bobo.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see, We'll see. You would really love for UCLA to to find more receiving talent in the portal uh, to maximize what del and Gabriel can be because.
Speaker 2: Are you saying sideways? Are you saying step forward for whom? For UCLA?
Speaker 1: Step forward? For sure? I think Dylan Gabriel is definitely a step forward from dtr.
Speaker 2: Let's go over to Spencer Rattler. Yes, first question, is he an upgrade over Zebede Yadaya Nol?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, this is an upgrade over anybody in Colombia. I agree This was quite a surprising move mm hmm. When Spencer Rattler announced he's going to South Carolina along with Austin Stoner, I believes how you say the name, okay tight end from Oklahoma, both those guys coming over.
Speaker 2: South Carolina's offense was atrocious last year, just atrocious. A lot of that stem from a bad offensive line, but the cupboard was bare. They just did not have the skill talent that could help this offense take a step forward. Shane Beemer still managed to get him to Bowl, which was a hell of a job. So I think if you look at the roster, clearly Spencer Rattler is the best player on the offense. He's best player on the offense immediately he steps in, and he's got a skill set that nobody else possesses in Columbia. So that in and of itself is incredible. He's going to be a huge upgrade over quarterback. It may not catapult them to nine and three, they're in the SEC East, but it definitely brings some much needed stability to that quarterback position. So, if ever there were a move in this cycle of transfers, my assumption is that Spencer Ratler going to South Carolina with how bad their offense was. That's like a quantum leap forward. I mean, you're not jumping from World one to World six, you're jumping from Mario one to Mario three. That's a huge step forward for shine Bee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's huge. It's a huge upgrade. I hesitate to think it's an amazing move for Spencer Rattler given the offensive line struggles and the pressure that those quarterbacks were under last year. You know, I think it was, but Josh Van emerged as the number one receiver for South Carolina. But I don't know, it just seems like a worst version of the issues he added Oklahoma behind that offensive line and lack of a clear number one playmaker out wide. So I don't know. Maybe it's there's a personality conflict between Spencer Rattler and the top of the sport, but it does feel like a pretty significant downgrade in terms of situation. It's definitely a downgrade. Yeah, it's definitely a downgrade. But I get see I understand this move more for him than I understand the Max Johnson move. Yeah, because I just feel like, if you're Max Johnson, you're stepping into a hornet's nest where you're constantly gonna have to shake guys off week in and week out.
Speaker 2: You may not even be the opening day starter.
Speaker 1: Probably will Who is the big threat? Is it Haines King?
Speaker 2: It could be Haines King, It could be there they're incoming freshmen. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean every top freshman is going to be the object of every fans design Hey, every four or five star quarterback.
Speaker 2: But okay, so case in point, Yeah, maybe he starts day one for A and M. Yeah, but what about week four? There's going to be a constant threat because those guys don't want to sit behind Max Johnson. And they're really talented, at least we think so. I understand why A and M would want to do it. But if you're Max Johnson, why do you put yourself in that situation where if you truly want to go and play and develop, if you want to play it though, there's always where do you go? I mean, he could have gone to South Carolina, he could have gone somewhere.
Speaker 1: Would you rather if you are good, if you're a B B plus quarterback or whatever the best of Max Johnson is, would you rather go to South Carolina or roll the dice with A and M, like you would get drilled at South Carolina as a quarterback, and a lot of them did this here.
Speaker 2: I just don't understand why, if you're transferring, you wouldn't go to a place where you know you're going to play and you're not have that much competition.
Speaker 1: From what I've heard, Spencer Rattler to ASU seemed like that was going to be the clear path, given where he's from. And then Jayden Daniels said no, I'm coming back, and AAC was like, what now, what's going on? You're what? And so I think that was probably what was going to happen. I think he had inquired with some Pack twelve schools that looked to be trying to upgrade at quarterback, and for whatever reason, it wasn't Oregon, it wasn't sc it wasn't UCLA. There was strong UCLA buzz with Spencer Ratler, and they decided that they were going Dylan Gabriel or that just came through a little bit quicker than anticipated. Whatever had heard some things about Oregon that you know, there was conversations there, but maybe that got scuttled for whatever reason. So I don't know. South Carolina might have been like his eleventh choice, who knows.
Speaker 2: But at least he's gonna play. This is a guy, oh yeah, was a preseason Heisman favorite. It didn't work out. We know that story by now. But at least he's gonna play. They're gonna make him the centerpiece of that offense. And they may not win ten games, they may not win eight games next year. And the line was bad, really bad this season. So he's gonna have his work cut out for him. For sure. He will be running for his life. Maybe not as bad as like zeb Nolan, but nonetheless he's gonna have his work cut out for him. I just you know he's gonna play. He's gonna get the reps unless he gets hurt. There's not really gonna be a clear competitor, and so it just seems like a path of least resistance if in fact your main goal is to make sure you get playing time.
Speaker 1: Who's a quarterback away though? Right? Who? Who could have Spencer Rattler? This is bad English? But who is Who's like, Okay, this guy makes sense. We don't have a killer at quarterback. We know Spencer Ratler. Ceiling is excellence, just a crazy good arm and has been able to lead you know, one of the Big Twelve his first year as a starter as a red shirt freshman. Like who is that team? Or just like, okay, this is the plug and play Florida State. I don't think they're just a quarterback away. No, Virginia Tech. Like you look, I don't know who it is that. There are a lot of interesting quarterback openings. North Carolina has a quarterback of the future post Sam Howell. Like is Baylor a quarterback away to stay in the conference? I don't know. I I mean the best of Gary Bohannon's interesting. I won the conference without amazing quarterback play. Good quarterback play. Kansas State. That's Skyler Thompson.
Speaker 2: Adrian Martinez.
Speaker 1: Now did he go to Kansas State? I mean we see that. Yeah, oh okay, yeah, there are schools that could improve at quarterback. But you're like, why would you want to be the Iowa quarterback? Right, Like that's that's no fun. So I don't I don't know who that school is. That's what That's sort of the broader point that like they're loaded at receiver, They've got good running backs, a good offensive line, the defense holds its own. They just need a quarterback. I guess you could make the case for Oregon with how they've recruited the past couple of year, but it's a big old question mark with a new staff. So yeah, I mean there there are like we can talk LSU Notre Dame, but I don't know if they're you know, the reports of Spencer Rattler being a little prickly. I don't know if there's personality fits everywhere. Yeah, this is a huge deal for South Carolina. Yeah, it's huge. It's huge.
Speaker 2: It may not work, but it's a huge deal for South Carolina for the offense and certainly for Shane Beemer. Yeah, what a job he did in year one. Rattler also stuff like all these guys and he gets in his experience in Oklahoma helps.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I love to move for him. I don't fully understand it from the Spencer Rattler perspective, but he's going to get playing time, which I think is most important because he wants to go to the NFL. Yeah, all right, where do you want to go next? What other transfers drew your ire man? You know, I feel great about Jamir and his overall talent. I can do this in the rank of twenty four to seven. Ranked it in terms of transfer rating, not high school rating, whether or not they've gone up or down, or a state around the same level. So the top looks like what Quinn yours. Eli Rix moves on from LSU Tobama, which is just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: B Yu gets a top offensive tackle commit in Kingsley Swamattaya. I think that's how you pronounce Oregon didn't play any meaningful football. I don't believe for Oregon is from the state of Utah. Jamiir Gibbs is also rumored for Alabama. Zach Evans was an all everything running back who committed to like seven different schools coming out of high school. He entered the portal from TCU, but they seem to be like they're in okay shape at running back. Cameron Ward is the next one. I couldn't tell you that much about him, but he was add incarnate word and was a I think a Walter Payton Award winning quarterback. So could be an intriguing, you know, Vernon Adams type story for somebody. Jaden Hazelwood already made the move from Oklahoma to Arkansas, which, given Traylon Burks leaving early, could step right in and become a force for the Hogs. Otherwise I don't know. Like in terms of huge names like Keaton Slovis, there was a report about Notre Dame. Is Notre Dame a school with a new coach with you know, Tyler Buckner being promising, but certainly didn't come in and be like, yep, he is the guy for the next four years. Like, would you be anti Notre Dame bringing in a higher profile type quarterback into that room?
Speaker 2: I guess not. I I'm not a huge Keaton Slovis fan, Okay, but is he better than Buckner? Maybe at the stage yet, I mean they have different skill sets. Buckner is more of a dual threat guy slo He's going to hang in the pocket and he's been good in yeah, relatively good in an air raid style system, so you know he can throw. I just don't know what the full, unadulterated, unencumbered Tommy Reese's experience is going to look like. I don't know what unencumbered by Brian Kelly's influence that is. Yeah, I don't I don't know what that's going to look like, so I A think I try and air it out more. I don't know. You know, we had an open question all year long as to who are Jack Cone slash Buckner's targets out wide, and it took them at least three quarters of the way through the season to start figuring out who those were outside of Michael Maher and I still don't you know, Kevin Austin came into his own down the stretch. I still don't know if we've got any great depth at that receiver position going into twenty two. Right, So there is an open question, like we've asked with some of these other guys, who would slowest be throwing to I. You know, I could throw names out, but until one of them sticks out there on the field, it's really just speculation.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm okay with it. I guess so I think he's I think he's pretty good. I think And this is something Ryan Abraham touched on on our USC deep Dive, was we do sort of talk about like what happened to the offense like and he mentioned like Drake London, for as amazing as he was, led the nation in contested catches, because this offense became very easily defensed people figured out Graham Harrell like drop into his own do as much as you can to confuse Keten Slovas, and he's either gonna check down or he's gonna have to throw into contested spaces. And so if Tommy Reese is a better offensive mind with obviously more continuity and doesn't have a fired head coach two games into the year or whatever, which he won't, then Keiden Slovas might be in a better position to succeed. Like is Keeton Slovas that is he that much worse than Jack Cone? Like I think Jack Cone's pretty good. I think Keyton Slovas is pretty good. And so you run the risk of driving somebody away like Tyler Buckner. But I don't know. I think Keten Slovas is a pretty good Bilow candidate to be honest, like his his ceiling. And maybe it's not a fit with Notre Dame, maybe it's a fit some or else, but I think that USC offense got pretty stale pretty quickly, and especially given the changes, the constant change in La No, I think Slovas could be like an interesting answer for somebody, not necessarily a quarterback away, but somebody pretty large with like a Virginia Tech or something like that. Now that you know Braxton Burmeister, who I was never all that high on, now that that seems to be a pretty open room, Like there are interesting places that Keton Slovas would give them like a definitive upgrade or as a bridge between, you know, a previous era to the next big thing. So I'm okay with Keithan. Maybe it's Arizona. I don't know he's from Arizona, but uh no, I think I think you can do a lot worse than Keten Slovas.
Speaker 2: You can definitely do worse in Keaton Slovis. Don't listen to me. I'm biased. I've always wanted to sell I've always wanted to see more of Tyler Buckner. Yeah, I've always wanted to see more of Buckner. And perhaps I've fallen victim to what we described earlier, the freshman quarterback always being the most popular guy in the quarterback.
Speaker 1: But here's here's the thing too, And you're right, the coaches are at practice. The coaches have that tape, and Tyler Buckner was given reps, like meaningful reps this year, and the coaches felt like he's not the guy like Jack Cone, didn't establish himself really until the latter part of the season, right Brian Kelly was shuffling, you know, series is whatever Drew Pine was getting time. Tyler Buckner had an opportunity to be the guy this year, and it's okay that he wasn't. He was a freshman, but they know what they have in him, for better or worse, and they started kicking the tires on Keaton Slovas pretty early on after Slovas announced his intentions to enter the portal.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I would imagine Tommy Reese knows what he has.
Speaker 2: I would assume, So yeah, I would assume. So it'll be interesting to see. I mean, Notre Dame would be. I'm sure interested in a guy like a Slovas, and I'm sure there will be other programs well, because he is definitely a guy who came in I think as a three star and has improved his stock. He's gotten better now. This past season wasn't necessarily his finest work, but there were circumstances there and I still do think he's pretty talented. There was a moment in time where people were talking up Keaton Slovas as a top ten NFL quarterback. Sure, I don't think I'm quite as high on him as that, but the talent is there. The talent is evident, and yeah, you're bringing a guy like that, I don't think that's a bad move. So I'm talking myself into it, even though I still want to see more out of Tyler Buckner. Some others really that we could mention. I talked about Adrian Martinez. He just announced, I think over the weekend or before this past weekend, that he's going to go to Kansas State, which is an interesting move for him, if only because what we've seen at k State is they find ways to take a playmaker at quarterback and basically make it the entire offense.
Speaker 1: And he's sort of been doing that.
Speaker 2: Sure at Nebraska, perhaps he'll have a little bit more support around him at case State, but I kind of like that move for him. It doesn't feel like it's a fish out of water at all. Like I think that's a decent move on both sides.
Speaker 1: I think what we've seen historically under Chris Climban, whoever, a Kansas State team with above average quarterback play is gonna win eight games, like they just are, and if that's what Adrian Martinez brings, they're gonna win. I do disagree that they're building the whole thing because Kansas State's building the whole thing out of the shortest running back take of long right. So I don't think this was a Skyler Thompson centric offense necessarily, But I definitely think Adrian Martinez would be an upgrade over Will Howard or whoever else is in that room. And so that's fair. It does seem like this is a prime example, maybe similar to bo Nicks. They're just like, you know, you put in your time, it didn't work out. There's all this baggage from your time there. You just need. You need to move conferences, you need to move schools, you need an entire different plays and see what's what. And so I think I think it's an upgrade to me. Yeah, I think kinds of the state has enough infrastructure in place that a talented quarterback can thrive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the other thing that I think Adrian Martinez can benefit from is whatever kind of discipline Chris Climan teaches at Kansas State. It has been kind of a staple of that program ever since the bill Snyder Era. Yeah, but this is not really a program that shoots itself in the foot.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: They're really sound with the fundamentals, and Adrian Martinez could benefit a lot from fewer mistakes in his game.
Speaker 1: So we'll root for.
Speaker 2: Him, you know, we'll root for him and see what he can do at k State. I don't know if it's official yet, but there seems to be a lot of smoke on Casey Thompson going from Texas to TCU makes sense, makes a lot of sense. Obviously, another Texas kid would throw the crap out of the ball.
Speaker 1: A very friendly quarterback coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for Sunny Dyke's so that would be an interesting spot for him to land. I think I left my move as well, Michael Penix to Washington given his familiarity with Kaylen de Boor.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we're ever going to capture that Michael Pennock's magic from twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: I don't think we are.
Speaker 2: I get it, I get the connection, but I don't We're like three injuries down the road from that twenty twenty season for Michael Pennix. I get it from his perspective, trying to recapture the magic. But I don't know, if you're a Washington fan, are you excited about this?
Speaker 1: It was also just kind of a disastrous year for Indiana football, and Michael Penick's just unfortunately, it is injury prone and it might just be dumb luck. It probably is just dumb luck. But now you're running the risk if Kaylen de Boor is not a Sam Hewart fan. He is the quarterback of the future, the legacy of the five s our guy, and came in in the Apple Cup and threw a whole bunch of interceptions. And I don't know if that just you run the risk of driving somebody like that away, or if that even matters. But no, I think unfortunately, our opinion, or at least the mainstream viewpoint, as far as I can tell, viewpoint of Michael Pennix's. He dove in for a touchdown against Penn State, and he lit up Ohio State. But around those edges, he hasn't been amazing. He hasn't been a game changer, and it might just be because he's been beat up. I get that that you're banking on a healthy fresh start, I get it, But yeah, I don't know. I don't know how high I am on that decision. Another situation like who's he throwing to? Who's he throwing to? A Washington The offensive line history has been good there, but who's he throwing to? So that's that's sort of what I worry about.
Speaker 2: OK.
Speaker 1: Do you have big picture? I don't know if there are any other players you want to specifically talk about.
Speaker 2: I just I want to call out a few that are still at Harrison. Billy Transferring out of Tennessee was a big name when he stepped foot on campus. Was big time recruit Jack Miller. We mentioned Jack Miller earlier from Ohio State. He is also in the portal. Chubb a party yep. Once considered to yeah, be the quarterback of the future of Florida State. Clearly not going to be at Florida State. Tommy DeVito going to Illinois? Okay from Syracuse our boy Tommy DEFIEDO. Yeah, Jack Sears transferring again? Saw that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? From Boise. Yeah. Hank Bachmeyer in his fourteenth year of eligibility yep ocralis North Carolina SMU promising receiver. Yeah. What do you feel about the reality of where the transfer portal is in the sports. I'm not asking you if it's like is it good or bad and be like an absolutist about it. But this is a reality that we are talking about football coaching changes, recruiting and a portal as ways. And you know, I talked to Brandon Huffman a little bit about it. How there are like portal specific coordinators just monitoring who's good in the sport, who's entered into the portal whatever. I guess a tampering coordinator if you're gonna believe certain methods.
Speaker 2: See, that's that's a job. Not the tampering coordinator, No, no, I know, but the portal coordinator. That's a job you and I could do, don't you think?
Speaker 1: I feel like we'd be good at that. We would need to meet many more high school coaches to be like, well just going under the portal, could you? Yeah, we'd have to figure that.
Speaker 2: Let me let me make the Google sheet for the portal coordinator.
Speaker 1: Let me do that that I could do.
Speaker 2: I would enjoy that.
Speaker 1: That's that's totally good. You can do that. But it is it is a reality, right that, Like this is how roster construction works. Now in twenty twenty two, and moving forward. So my question to you is do you like it?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 1: Do you think it should exist? Because that we're too far into that, right, the immediate eligibility, the movement of quarterbacks when it doesn't work out, when they don't get the job or any position, right, whether they're disappointed, or they're homesick, or their girlfriend goes somewhere else. Like, there are a number of reasons why guys enter into a portal, But do is it something that you are finding yourself interested in and or good for the sport? Whether or not you know it's going anywhere.
Speaker 2: Well, good good for the sport goes out the window, right, yeah, good good for the sport. That's we could talk for another hour and a half as to what's good for the sport and what isn't. Yeah, I yeah, I am very fascinated by it. I am, I am completely fascinated by it because it is, in effect college football free agency. Sure, it's free agency. Yeah. And whether or not you're of the dabbo mindset that there are adult men who are who are manipulating and tampering with the process and and lying to student athletes, you know that you can certainly have that mindset if you want to. But it's hard for me to take a completely unbiased view of what the portal does for us, because all too often we come to this point in the season or even into January, or at some point in the low lows of the offseason, and we don't have anything to talk about. And what I see happening is college football very much going the way of the NFL, where we find ways on the margins here to extend the talking points, whether it's through the portal, whether it's through nil, whether it's through conference realignment, whether it's through coaching movement, whether it's through potential playoff expansion. All of these things that exist on the periphery of the sport that have growing influence. There's media rights, there are all these things that kind of add depth to the discussion year round that this is very clearly turning into a year round sport, much the way the NFL has gone over the last decade plus. And so at least from that standpoint is somebody who considers himself a super fan, I'm no expert, but I am okay with it because it gives us more to talk about in the college football side. It also changes dynamics a fair amount. It does upset the balance of the sport, at least as we've come to known it over the last you know, thirty years. Guys can up and leave if they're unhappy with a coach, leaving, a playing situation, a new scheme, what have you just isn't working out. Maybe they're homesick, as you said before. So that ability for a player to take control of his future, his destiny in college football, that is a new dynamic. And I love new dynamics because I think it forces the Alabamas and the Clemsons and the power brokers in the sport to rejigger their mindset. So I'm okay with it. I think it makes things interesting. I am fascinated by the portal this year more than ever because we've seen so much high profile movement. Is it good for the sport long term? I don't know long term. We can talk about that in May, but for now, yeah, it's fascinating. It's fascinating to see so many big names of the moves. That's a rattler to South Carolina. Come on, how is that not an interesting story?
Speaker 1: That's an interesting story. There are a certain amount of quarterback or whatever position movement, if that they're filling in a gap, or if they're giving a team that isn't traditionally able to recruit and sign top level players, right that it spreads the talent around, which is probably a good thing for the sport. But justin Fields to Ohio State, Jamison Williams and Henry to Toe to Alabama right like they're also like, we didn't know it at the time, but Joe Burrow to LSU, it was amazing. It was amazing for Joe Burrows, amazing for LSU was a maging for a college football viewer like myself and yourself and everybody listening to the show. It's great. But I am of the mindset like two things can be true at once, like fairs fair coaches can move freely, players to be able to move freely. I totally get that. I think we're we have entered into a phase where if you are anything but fully supportive of every single right a player could or should have, then you're looked at as being like you're for the institutions whatever. I think it's kind of a bummer. I think all of this player movement is great for the players, and it's kind of a bummer for fans because college football is already an impossible sport to follow, right, like between recruiting, between weird bowl games, between how the playoff gets decided, Like it would be kind of impossible if somebody if we just met somebody, if we were at a restaurant and we met somebody from Osaka, and they're like, oh, college football, what's that all about? Like it would be impossible to explain to them the details. Now, certain things are true in other sports where it'd be like, how do you explain a cap hit or dead money to somebody who wants to be an NFL fan? Or like you can buy a player in soccer, but you got to return him. Like there are things in every sport where it's just like, yeah, it's a soliverble but he hasn't signed, Like OK, what right? It makes college football more difficult to follow because these guys are only going to be the top guys are there for three years, maybe four years, and so when you have players moving around, like it's just it's harder to keep track of names. And I know that was the complaint with the one and done stuff with college basketball, but for the health of the sport. It's good to root for the same players on the same teams for multiple years. And so it is a bummer that Jamier Gibbs couldn't make it work in Georgia Tech and be like that flashy, amazing running back that led Georgia Tech to Bowl eligibility and eight nine wins whatever. And I get why he's leaving because he should play on the biggest stage possible given his talents and ceiling. But yeah, it's still a little bit sad to me. It's still a little bit sad to me that like the whole sport gets thrown into a you know, the Christmas globe whatever, the snow globe every December, between the coaches, between the players, and just like it's very difficult unless you do this for a living or you are on like the college football subreddit all day every day to keep track of the sport. It just it makes it a more difficult experience.
Speaker 2: It makes it harder. And it's a really great with a ton of turnover and new names coming into the sport every year. I think, you know, just broadly speaking, I think the real downside to all this movement is that at the end of the day, you've got eighteen to twenty two year old kids making these big decisions about where they want to go and play totally, and you know, you can use NFL free agency as a guide. Not all those guys work out. At least they get paid. Yeah, But even in that case where you've got agents and people working on your behalf, there's no guarantees that it's going to work out right. And you may want to be a skeptic and say that kids are chasing andiel money. In some cases, that may be what's going on. In most cases, that won't be the case. In most cases, they're looking for playing time. And when you chase playing time, oftentimes things happen, You get hurt, other guys step up, there's always a better recruit.
Speaker 1: That's just always a gamble. It's always going to be a gam It feels like.
Speaker 2: It feels like the transfer portal. If we're gonna draw the comparison between the rough comparison between the NFL and free agency and what we've got going on now in college football, it just seems to me like transferring to a faraway place, or maybe you've got some familiarity, but there's no safety net whatsoever. There's just a huge risk there. There's much greater risk to you as a nineteen year old or twenty year old quarterback from Ohio State than if you're a pro. You're at least getting compensated to go elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'm totally with you, and it's a gamble and hopefully you know, fingers crossed. Every one of these kids entering the portal is getting sound advice and using as many people in their lives as a sounding board as humanly possible, right, because you're gonna get good advice, you're gonna get bad advice. And for their sake, I hope they're is a lot of was it radical transparency, radical honesty? Right that they're like, look, you're a good player, it's hard for me to see you as a starting SEC quarterback. Perhaps don't waste your time with that. There are certain things that people need to hear. And you know, of course a guy is going to bet on himself, right they told me I couldn't do it, and look where I am. Now, sure that's cool too, but at least hear those voices. At least get those voices. And if everybody's telling you the same thing, like Okay, I want to start going to James Madison and I'm gonna thrive there. I'm gonna go to Jacksonville State, I'm gonna go wherever. I'm gonna go to Northern Illinois. But it's all it's life, man, Life is risk, life is a gamble, and so I guess you hope that they put them all these players put themselves in the best possible position to get fortunate. But otherwise, I don't know. I think there's gonna be a lot of disappointed people as this moves forward. All these guys that we discussed today.
Speaker 2: Won't hit, Yeah, they won't hit.
Speaker 1: No, no, they won't hit.
Speaker 2: For every Russell Wilson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: You know, any number of guys who are going to the portal and it just doesn't it doesn't work out. They don't take immediately. So it will be interesting to see there are there are some big names that are still out there. We'll do our best to cover it here. But it is growing. It is growing, yeah, and every year I think it'll be a little bit more active. So right in we are at soliverbotgmail dot com. Let us know your thoughts. You can also comment on this here episode on Twitter, on Instagram, on Facebook. Let us know your thoughts, how you feel about the transfer portal, how you feel about some of these specific moves. Of course, we'll be posting clips of this show out to social media. You can listen to this show and all of our shows. You can also watch this episode in its entirety if you go on out to Verballers dot com. That is our patreon. Otherwise, Dan, Yeah, we've got a show that we're going to drop. I guess Santa themed on Friday, correct with it being Christmas, So get excited for that. Next week, we're gonna do our New Year's six and playoff previews. We'll dive into a little bit more detail about our feelings about those games. So those eight games or seven get whatever it amounts to, We're going to talk about those in much much more detail on Monday. Get you ready for the Bowl season ahead.
Speaker 1: Ty, I added a sound to my soundboard without listening to it. Okay, play, I've never done that before. Mid show, play, I've added a sound to it. Let's see if it comes through. Let's see if you recognize what it is. Okay, has it started yet? I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't hear it.
Speaker 1: No, nope, I don't hear it either. Oh oh, here it is. Do you hear it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Make it louder.
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 2: This is a real eight bit down on your luck? Here is what is this?
Speaker 3: Looks like?
Speaker 2: Oh man, we made it through the episode.
Speaker 1: Man, see I would have edited it to start right around here, right so it was immediately Yeah, yeah, you really did the build up there.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, still the one.
Speaker 2: Send me that We're gonna find more ways to use it in the off season.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: For that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, form myself, Tie hilden Brand, we made it through this episode. We'll be back on Friday, ho ho ho in our way through college football bowl season talking about more college football topics. For that guy over there, Dan, for myself, Tie, talk to y'all sooner meantimes, Stay solid, Peace,