Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. European earnings are starting to flow in as global markets are being dominated by the swings in the AI trade and the uncertainty created by the Iran war. Let's discuss now, Bata Mantheus, head of European Equity strategy at City be At A good morning. Good to have you back with us on the AI story. How do you see that playing out in earning season in Europe? Are there consequences evident beyond those few tech names that are based here.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so. European equity market doesn't have that much exposure via tech to AI story.
Speaker 3: This is why.
Speaker 2: Actually in the past few weeks when AI warries have been playing out through the market, it has outperformed, right, But it does have links to this broader buildout of AI via basic resources. So you can see these stocks being under pressure or broader industrial base as well.
Speaker 3: Right. So this is.
Speaker 2: Something to bear in mind now from our perspective, given the market has done so well. Most of the markets are hitting all time highs despite all the worries and problems we've had in the first half. Markets are up ten percent globally. Some posts was due, right, and now we have to stop back, and this is where the reporting season comes handy, to stop back, step back and think what is what are the next six months or the second half of the year is going to look like. And of course our eyes have to be on earnings and on the reporting season.
Speaker 3: Now, what I have to say on Europe, I am.
Speaker 2: Really encouraged by what we are seeing in the earnings revision trends, so the direction of the analyst forecasts and to some it's not very intuitive, and it's actually happening on many fronts. So there are three dimensions of surprises in terms of positivity of it. Number one is the size actually earnings revisions in Europe this week have hit almost all time highs. Handful of times it's been higher. So perhaps from this level it's hard to be as it is a very high level, it's hard to see them improving. But when I look underneath the surface, we have the second dimension breath of these earnings revisions. Eighty percent of sectors on level two out of twenty four sectors in Europe are seeing upgrades, and very similar story is happening in the broader set of sectors in other regions around the world. So this type of broadening tends to be very conducive or a lead on cyclical outperformance. And the third one really very important, the last dimension timing. All these upgrades are happening against negative seasonality trends. When that happens, historically it's been a good lead on upgrades continue over three to six months. So actually with ninety percent hit ratio, ten percent of the time it didn't happen, but ninety percent of the time upgrades continued.
Speaker 4: So that's quite encouraging. Okay, so you're encouraged on Europe. You're thinking about AI and the volatility and also the huge stot of volumes that we've seen in terms of that trade. Look, I wonder what more needs to happen though, actually to attract that global investor into European businesses. If you'd say that the outlook is so bright, I mean, I was reading just this morning about takaig over in Japan. This does seem to be taking shape, this idea of investing more into domestic assets. I mean, is this kind of you know, something that we've talked about a lot for Europe, for the UK, do you think there'll be any similar policy? You know, to come in that sense, you know, to try to drive that more positive story in Europe.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so it is a constructive view on Europe, but it's a constructive view on global cyclicals well. So Japan, for US is actually an overweight continental Europe is a neutral. So we see some sectors having headwinds, like exporters to China, while others like banks for example, are seeing very very good upsides. So have to be selective, but a large set of sectors is doing well and could continue to do well. My eyes are on the European next seven year budget, so that's a longer term story. It's being negotiated this year, is going to be approved next year. So are we going to see any regulatory changes in this respect or perhaps we've been speaking about that in the past by European right, So will the government have some levels that they will need to buy from the European companies which would be very positive as well. So this fiscal and these type of regulatory changes, it's happening slowly, but it's happening. It's still a tailwind.
Speaker 3: On the European budget.
Speaker 1: I do wonder what I suppose would be the most positive for markets, because I mean you're talking about the fight currently being over things like allocation between what goes to farming, what goes to other regional funding as well, and what could be extracted for competitiveness funding as well. I mean, what elements of the budget negotiations are you watching most closely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's going to be quite a volatile ride because of course every country has different priorities, but for me, this by European and a drive for Europe to be more independent from any perspective, whether it's energy security, whether it's national security, supply chain security, AI security, These are all things that we are looking out for and we'll hear about them for sure.
Speaker 3: The question is what the outcome is going to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in terms of what you're expecting for the rest of the earning season, you say it's quite it is very positive. I mean Barbary not so great this morning. What are the individual stocks that you pick out in terms of the reaction to the ones that we've already had in Europe.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to luxury goods, as I've mentioned, we are still quite cautious on sectors or companies that have big exposure from China to China, right, So, autos still an underweight. Luxury goods consumer products where luxury goods are is still an underweight for us. However, you know there are some companies you are seeing some signs of improvement in in selective names, right, So that's something we are watching very close. And of course that's the sector that has been seeing downgrades for the last two three years.
Speaker 3: So it will end eventually. The questions is it now