Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hope you got a great weekend.
Speaker 3: Everybody ready to go this Monday, best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like. John Schier, the Duke head coach, will join us coming up here in about fifteen minutes as he advances to the Final four, one of eight people as a player and a coach to go to the final four. So we'll talk to him coming up. Seth Greenberg the mother Ship and Gilbert Arenas, former NBA All Star, will stop by as well. So Florida survives Texas Tech Duke rolls Bama, Houston rolls Tennessee in Auburn over Michigan State SA. Good morning to those watching on Peacock. That's our streaming partner. Download the app if you haven't done. So are radio affiliates as well. iHeartRadio Fox Sports Radio. As we close out the end of March, and March is about madness, It's about chaos. We love the upsets, we love the buzzer beat Cinderella stories, but this year it's different. No mid major darlings, no double digit seeds crashing the final four. It's four number one seeds, Houston, Duke Auburn, Florida. People are disappointed, but you have the four best teams in the country. Imagine any other sport where you go, man, I'm looking for somebody out of nowhere to play for the championship. We do that with March Madness, but you don't do that in most sports.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: You know, Arizona Diamondbacks were a nice story, like we do like those nice stories, and we have had incredible upsets. Go back to the miracle Mets in nineteen sixty nine. You know, the Jets when they won the Super Bowl, super Bowl three.
Speaker 4: We like that.
Speaker 3: But Cinderella stories are fun, but greatness is what we remember. Villanova's buzzer beater, the UCLA dynasty, go back through history, all of those great teams. Duke UNLV. It's not your ideal March madness, it's we I guess expected. But I think you got the best teams fighting for the title, and that still must see TV. I've always said, give me madness, give me chaos until the Elite eight, and then I want to see the best teams in basketball.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: NC State last year was a wonderful story, great story knocked out, Duke, if you're that good, and I just want to make sure that you complete the mission. If you're a double digit seed, if you're a mid major, that you get a chance to play. Butler got to play for a couple of national titles. I like that storyline. It's even better if they win the title. But in this case, you have the four seeds. I don't think anybody was surprised. I think those four seeds stood above everybody else the entire tournament. But this is what this is about the best teams right now. And what you're finding is with the blue bloods, the powerhouses, they're taking away the players from the mid They're almost stealing the mid major thunder by taking the mid major player. Therefore, the mid major can't make a run because they've wised up finally and said, hmm, do we just want to recruit freshmen or do we want to take somebody who's already battle tested. And this is what I've said about John Kella Perry for years. John, congratulations, you got another recruiting class that's going to make billions of dollars in the NBA. You need to have some players help out those freshmen, because this time of the year. You play different, you coach different, and you see that with a lot of these teams. Now Dukes and Anomaly, they have three players who are going to be lottery picks and they're freshmen. But a lot of these other players, you have transfers, and you also have juniors and seniors who are providing that much needed leadership here. But yes, March madness, maybe not the madness, but it's still going to be great to see the four best teams play for the championship. And I don't know if you pose that as a question like are you disappointed with this year's March mad Are you disappointed that we have four seeds, the top seeds and they're going to play for the championship, I'm not. Do I want to see a little more madness earlier? Yes I do, and we didn't see that. But once again, you got Florida, you got Duke, Houston and Auburn, and you're.
Speaker 2: Seeing different rosters.
Speaker 3: But you're also seeing these teams for the most part, who do have some players who have played before and maybe they played somewhere else. And I think that's the interesting part of this is they're taking away the mid major eight seven to seven to three DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show points spreads for the final four. Just got them from DraftKings. Florida favored by two and a half against Auburn. Duke is favored by four and a half against Houston, and the Dukies are the big favorite here, followed by Florida, then Houston than Auburn.
Speaker 2: To win it all, come up with the poll.
Speaker 3: Question, Play of the Day, stat of the Day, all of that forthcoming. You can take advantage of the clearance sale we got on at Danpatrick dot com. Stat of the Day is always brought you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the DP show operators sitting by to take your phone calls. Best and worst of the weekend. This first hour brought to you by Maco. Most cards on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they bring your car back to life. Affordable paint jobs like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Maco. One other item I would like to address. Last week we were talking about Cooper Flag and as we always do with great players or young players, we'd like to do a comp go into a draft. Oh who do they remind you of? And my point with Cooper Flag is that if he had a career like Kevin Love's career, it might be viewed as a disappointment. Ninety percent of NBA players would sign up for Kevin Love's career. And maybe he's a Hall of famer. He's a borderline hall of famer, started out great and made something of himself. I thought he would be a fourteen and eight guy, and he proved me wrong and early. But I was not saying something in a disparaging way about Kevin Love. And we did invite Kevin Love on and he smartly said, no, need to talk about it. He knew I wasn't taking a shot at him. It's certain websites, blogs, members of the media that thought I was taking a shot at him. I'm talking about the expectation we're going to put on an eighteen year old going into the NBA. Let's lower. Now, nobody wants to do this, but let's lower the expectation, or be fair to him. The point I was making is he'll be the number one pick. He's going to be viewed as a savior. Kevin Love was not viewed that way. Kevin was a great player who fit in now. When he stood alone in Minnesota, he put up some great numbers, had thirty rebounds in the game. But we found his value when he started to play with Lebron and he won a championship. Cooper Flagg could do all of those things, and I think we'll still view him as a disappointment. It's not fair to him to have those expectations. He's not the next Larry Bird. And that's why I said, maybe he's the next Kevin Love. And there's nothing wrong with that, but the way it was presented, and look, I'm the messenger, so maybe I didn't explain it so people in the media could understand what I was saying. This had nothing to do with Kevin Love being a disappointment. Cooper Flagg would be viewed as a disappointment even if he put up great numbers like that. That was the point I was trying to make. But I did say to Fritzy, I said, reach out Kevin, see if he wants to come on, and he said no.
Speaker 2: He knew that I was not taking a shot at him.
Speaker 3: So just want to make sure that I clarified that I don't want to say it was taken out of context or anything like that. It was what I said, but people chose to look at it differently than what I was saying. It was about Cooper Flag and the expectations that Kevin Love has not had a disappointing career. He's probably close to a Hall of Fame career. Yes, boom, Yeah.
Speaker 5: We did the post of that clip from Friday's show, and on the post it says, quote, if you said his career was going to be like Kevin Love's, would that be a disappointment question mark? And probably it would be. What was not included there is the previous sixty seconds where you were talking about comparing Cooper Flag to Larry Bird and how that's overreaching at this point for an eighteen year old. So that kind of took the next quote that people didn't see the ramp up of where you mentioned Larry Bird and Flag and kind of pushed it out of context a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but once again, if people it's a far better headline, and it got a little bit of traction. I didn't realize it was a thing until Marvin sent it to me. I'm like, oh, they totally misread what I was saying about Cooper Flag and Kevin Love. But we did reach out to Kevin, as we always do. We'll reach out if we said something or somebody wants to respond. But if he wanted to come on and talk about it, great, But you know, wisely he chose not to because let's not inflame it any more than maybe what people were already doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, really, the real lesson from this is that we need our social media people to start taking your words out of context so that then we get all of.
Speaker 2: That engagement about your words.
Speaker 4: Right because posts a lot of accounts on all these different social media they are all getting a ton of engagement off of taking your words out of context. We should just start doing that on your behalf and then you can defend what we posted. Thank you, Yeah, yeah, thank you. That's where we really missed.
Speaker 3: I didn't give the starting lineup. It's our Fab five, Flab five, the King of Comedy, Fritzi, you got seat in here, you got Marvin Paul ye yours truly, and hey, I'm part of the Flab five.
Speaker 2: I mean, Seaton's the one, him and Paul. It looks you know, sinewy. It's still kind of skinny fat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know. That's the bummer. That is the bummer when you're like, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm looking I'm looking good, I'm losing weight, and then all of a sudden you go, yeah, except for the belly, but other than that.
Speaker 4: I'm down almost thirty pounds and still look terrible. How did that work? Yeah? How did that work?
Speaker 6: How?
Speaker 4: How about a poll question today? Setan yeah, would you rather be Well, we could go with an easy one your favorite right now? To win the tournament, We'll just go with the four left. How about are you disappointed with this year's tournament? Well? Here, here's why I think a lot of people are going to say that they are. And then the reason that they say they're going to be disappointed is going to directly contradict the way that the tournament's actually played out. Okay, people's big complaint about basketball right now is you don't know any of the players. You don't know where anybody went. Everybody's moving all over the place. What the hell I thought?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: And then their big complaint about this year is where's all the Cinderellas, where's all the teams that came out of nowhere?
Speaker 2: All the players?
Speaker 4: I don't know where's all this stuff, so like it directly conflicts with the line of thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah I do.
Speaker 3: I love the chaos and the madness. I do, but I also just want I want to watch good basketball, that's all. And if there's there's no upsets, no buzzer beaters.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Do I think this is going to be the tradition? Is this going to be a pattern or is it a one off for maybe back to back years where Shawk is going to be up there at the top. I'll go back to what I said initially, the you know, the big schools are just picking off these players from the mid majors, preventing the mid majors from making a run like this and being a part of the madness and the chaos.
Speaker 4: Yes, Pauline, I.
Speaker 5: Do miss which watching a team get a week of notoriety. Was it Saint Peter's in twenty twenty two and everyone talked about their coach and these different players or Porter Moser and Loyal of five years ago? They got all that in the Sister, it feels like that is missing. It's not a complaint, but just it's a storyline you're used to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm fine with that.
Speaker 3: When you have those stories early in the tournament, you go, okay, let's have this guy on. Yeah, that's a cute story here. Let's had the kid from NC State on. You know, so you're gonna play football. You know, that's all great, but you can't manufacture this to say, how do we come up with more buzzer beater choon upsets. These are the best teams in college basketball. From start to finish, it felt like these were the four best teams in college basketball. I'm okay with it, yes, Tom.
Speaker 7: The Cinderellas did balout way too early.
Speaker 2: After a couple of rounds.
Speaker 7: We held onto Colorado State very tightly, very briefly. That was like the last one standing, and even they kind of left early. And it's great to have the best teams at the end, but would have been fun a few more rounds of a couple of Cinderemes.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Florida survived Texas Tech.
Speaker 4: Men.
Speaker 3: Did I have some problems with the coaching with Texas Tech? Down the stretch. There's one guy on the floor who can beat you for Florida, Walter Clayton Junior, the third that's it. Now, you got some contributions from the other kid. How Walter Clayton Junior, the third's the only guy take the ball out of his hands. Let somebody else beat you.
Speaker 2: That's all this is. This is simple coaching.
Speaker 4: One oh one.
Speaker 3: Yes, Hey, we got beat by some guy who's not normally in this position. Okay, I'm not gonna let that guy who I know is the guy who can beat me.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, this is.
Speaker 8: One of those times where you know what, I'm not too proud to play box.
Speaker 3: And one absolutely face guard him. Do what Duke did against Seers at Alabama. You know, when you put a little pressure on the perimeter, it's amazing how poorly you can shoot. B Yu' is like, okay, go ahead, go ahead, we're in his own We got our hands up. Duke's like, uh no, and we're gonna force you off the dribble. Go ahead, see if you can go inside. Speaking of Duke, their head coach joins us next year on the Day and Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search kobeen on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 3: We'll get to your phone calls coming up as we always do her on Monday. Best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked, you didn't like? I know what he liked. John Shier, the third season dukead basketball coach, moving into the Final four. You've been there as a player, You've been there as an assistant coach. What's it like to be there as a head coach?
Speaker 10: Dan, Well, it's great to be with you, you know it couldn't be more excited about this opportunity.
Speaker 8: I'll feel it, you know, I'll feel.
Speaker 10: It in person in San Antonio, But to be honest with you, it feels surreal, you know, like it's the Promised Land. Obviously we're hungry for more, but couldn't be more excited by this opportunity.
Speaker 3: You always want to be the guy who follows, the guy who follows the legend. I'll go back to John Wooden, and you know you didn't get that. You've got the opportunity to coach, but you're following the leg And Mike Krychevsky, I don't know if you did research or talk to people who were the ones following the legend as opposed to following the person following the legend.
Speaker 10: Well, you know what, Dan, I did more research on successions than uh, I think you can imagine, you know, especially in sport, right, but even in business. Uh and I tried to find connections about you know, really why you know, others weren't as successful and what went wrong and because in most cases it wasn't about what went right. You know, it's it's been, it's been very difficult, and I think the first and most important thing I found was to be really connected with you know, the former coach or the transition and for me, you know the fact that Coach K and I are still as close as could be and the succession, me and him were so connected about what had to change and what had to improve and what I had to do. But then obviously you're not going to win it if you try to be somebody else. And so I had to come to terms very quickly with I'm not coach K. I gonna try to be him. I'm not gonna try to coach like him. I'm gonna I'm gonna be myself and wherever that takes us, you know, I can live with the at the end of the day, because that's the only way I'm going to succeed.
Speaker 3: Is there a new philosophy in how to build a team in college basketball? You guys might be the anomaly. You got three freshmen who are going to be lottery picks. But you're seeing a lot of these teams that a couple of freshmen, but it's really about getting these you know, transfer guys or guys who are going to stay for three or four years.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it has changed a lot. I think the biggest difference is now you have to build your team based on year to year. You know, it's and look it's when I played. This is only fifteen years ago. When I played the starting lineup in my group, we had over one hundred starting game, over one hundred games together. And look the team we're playing in Houston. Houston has great experience together. But for the most part, it is year to year. I think for me, the challenge is trying to find some level of continuity, which I think still can be done in a different way. We're still bringing in really talented, ready made players that we develop over the course of the year and have big expectations like the guys you know you had mentioned as freshman now, but I think we do it our own way, and that's what I'm proud of. You know, I think it's not going to be cookie cutter. We need this amount of transfers, returners, freshmen. I think it's based on the level of readiness that the freshmen we recruit have and then also the returners we can possibly bring back. And I think as you look at our roster, Dan, the combination of the Seon James, the Malik Browns, the Mason Gillis, with the Tyrees Proctor and Caleb Foster, well that helps the freshmen having some level of experience with them.
Speaker 4: How would you do against Procter and a shooting contest?
Speaker 10: I would beat them, beat me in the game, but I'm gonna beat any of our guys still, I think, Dan.
Speaker 3: How do you coach a freshman as opposed to a junior senior.
Speaker 10: I just think for these guys there's a level of that they need to always hear the truth. You have to hit them right between the eyes. But also at the same time, you have to give them a really good confidence because they're going through something.
Speaker 8: They've never experienced before.
Speaker 10: You know, even I'm like, I'm so impressed with the maturity these guys have playing in my first n CUAA tournament game, and I remember how I felt, and these guys haven't acted like it's.
Speaker 4: How did you feel?
Speaker 8: I felt, you know, jittery? You know, I felt, you know, pressure. You know.
Speaker 10: We are six seed playing vcus an eleven seed, and you just I think there's a tendency Dan to when you're the higher seed, to play not to lose instead of playing to win. And so I've tried to just ingrain in them from day one in the preseason of being the hunters, you know, not the hunted, and just going after this thing. And they've embraced then, they've done that, but I think with the freshman, just to continue to give him confidence at the same time of trying to prepare them for things that they hadn't seen before.
Speaker 8: And that's what I've tried to do.
Speaker 3: He's Duke's head coach John Shier joining us on the program. Take me back to the Butler National title game when you want Gordon Hayward wasn't your guy?
Speaker 4: Was he you were?
Speaker 8: He wasn't my guy? In terms of me guarding him?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I was ahead on the play that he got the left. So I think people always think about the last half court shot, which is right.
Speaker 8: There, the one before that he had.
Speaker 10: We were under out of bounds, we were up by one, and he had an isolation play at the top of the key and he ended up shooting about like a fifteen footer from the baseline. I thought it was going in, Dan, I was right under the basket. Had just probably if it's inch shorter or it goes in, it goes long. So that shot, to me, was was the one that scared me. I was already thinking about the how we were gonna win with the timeout or what we were gonna do, but the half court shot was something I'll never forget. And I just I felt to his off of the last second, I was ahead on the play, but but thank god he missed it.
Speaker 2: If he hit that shot, he becomes Latner.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know what, And probably I don't know if I'm the head coach to Duke, I don't know if I'm I think the whole I think my.
Speaker 8: Whole life is.
Speaker 10: I think there's a lot of things that could be different from from from that shot.
Speaker 2: But do you explain to your kids?
Speaker 3: And I don't know if you feel this, but the Latner years, even JJ Reddick people hated Duke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't feel that way.
Speaker 3: This is this is a team that people may root for, maybe not root against, but they're not you know, they're they're like, hey, Cooper Flag looks great. I mean, you got it seems like a fun team. They play, you know, great offense and defense. Are you guys embraceable?
Speaker 8: I share, hope so.
Speaker 10: And look it's funny because I think we are always embraceable. But like you said, I think it's a different feeling, and I can't explain why that is.
Speaker 8: I hope it's the fact that you have.
Speaker 10: A group of really talented players that really embrace playing in the right way.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 10: It's led to some beautiful offense and they're tough, you know, like they're not afraid of anything. So I think that combination maybe has been received well. But again not JJ Reddick was the same.
Speaker 8: I don't know. I don't know what it is. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: Have you had the conversation with Cooper Flag about coming back? No, okay, just is there going to be a conversation?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 10: Okay, Although I can dream about that, yes you can, I know.
Speaker 8: I think that's all it is.
Speaker 10: In this case, I think it's a dream, and I think he's got to take the next dream in his life and be the topic in the NBA Draft and start his professional career.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go.
Speaker 3: Remember talking to Steve Nash and he said during his career with Phoenix, coaches told him he was too unselfish. There are times where I see Cooper Flag maybe too unselfish. The Phoenix Suns had to tell Steve Nash to shoot more. Is Cooper Flagg sort of in that it seems like he's really really engaged to get everybody involved. And maybe I'm not going to say the detriment you're hit the Final four, but are there times when you want him to be a little more selfish.
Speaker 10: I think you hit the nail on the head with him, Dan, because he's part of is what makes him so special is him bringing along as teammates and his feel for his passing.
Speaker 8: It is an incredible weapon for our team.
Speaker 10: But also he can want to defer at times to get them going and word our best. He's at our best when he's in complete attack mode. Teammates will get shots from that. But that's something I have to It's probably the biggest thing we have to get on him about and just making sure he's not deferring and continually just looking to dominate, which he can.
Speaker 3: Good luck in the final four. John, great to connect with you again. Thank you, thanks for having me appreciate you. That's John Shire. So Bob Knight played in a final four, coached in final four, he played in I think three final fours, coached in five or six final fours. Dean Smith he played in a couple of final fours, and then with North Carolina I think he was in eight or nine final fours. Billy Donovan at Providence played in a Final four, and then at Florida he won a couple of national titles as well. Hubert Davis at North Carol. I'm talking about modern era. So John Shire is part of that modern era with Hubert Davis and Billy Donovan to a degree. Then you have Bob Knight and Dean Smith part of the eight men who have played in the final four, coached in the final four.
Speaker 4: Yes, PAULI.
Speaker 5: After that interview, if anyone in the media US included wants to discuss Cooper Flag coming back for another year.
Speaker 4: It's a waste of your time.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I had to ask.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: It was a great question I had to ask because you know, that's one of those where you know, the story comes out later this week. You know, I got to sit down. Cooper and I are going to sit down and talk about his future. No, No, need to have that conversation.
Speaker 8: No, I have not.
Speaker 4: No, you know, Dan, that's something that we're waiting to see. We need to get through the tournament here for No, I have not.
Speaker 3: But what he did, what he said was what he said earlier is you got to be honest with these kids, and that's his approach. I'm just honest with them, whether it's a freshman or a senior. Chris and Syracuse leads us off today. Hey guys, Hey Chris, Hey, thanks man.
Speaker 1: I thought that was.
Speaker 8: Good.
Speaker 11: Dad. I got a best and worst to throw at you in a mock headline. My best to the Blue Devil's defense shutting down the Alabama three point machine. I think they held them to eight and only gave up sixty five points. And my worst. Here are some Yankee haters complaining about the Yankees new bats that have never been used, the torpedo bat and Aaron Judges and even using it and off of that, I got a fritzy mock headline for the Yankee haters. Okay, in Cortesa's return to Yankee Stadium, he gets hit hard with a corkish fee as Yankees go for a Ferris Bueller nine nine nine home runs.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Chris, Chris and Syracuse legend legend. Yeah, I was going to talk about the Yankee bats, and you know that baseball's improved.
Speaker 2: It if this was.
Speaker 3: The Marlins doing this and be like that's a cute story. Oh, good for them, But there is that moment of have they been hiding these bats?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: They had to get approval by Major League Baseball. It's not like a court to bat where you're trying to hide the bat. They went up there and there's only a couple of players on the Yankees who are using them. But it certainly did help them over the weekend. Hey, here's my first pitch home run. Here's my next pitch home run. Here's my third pitch of the game home run. And then you got Aaron judgsaying I don't need those bats. Everybody can use these bats if they want to. It's not like the Brotherly Shove or something where we feel like, hey, they're getting away with something. By the way, I think the push tush tush push is in trouble. I think that's in trouble. I think it's on the chopping block. With the competition committee and the owners getting together, they'll vote on it tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Mark my words.
Speaker 3: You can take away the brotherly shove, you still are not going to be able to stop the Eagles when it comes to the quarterback sneak. Okay, the offensive line can still do what they've always done, and you have a quarterback who has more leg strength than probably any other player in the NFL except for his running back, Saquon Barkley. That power and that great offensive line, they'll still be successful. But I think that we're going to go into next season without that.
Speaker 4: I think the.
Speaker 3: Push tush tush push is gone, but they'll be voting on it tomorrow morning. Yeah, seton.
Speaker 4: That actually brings us to another poll question suggestion. Oh um, If I said the topics are the tush push and nosewiping, what are we talking about a kindergarten class or the NFL.
Speaker 3: That's where the teacher says, hey, hey, boys, knock it off. Stop with that and don't wipe your nose.
Speaker 4: I'm like brushing my teeth, going over things like, all right, what do we want to make sure that we talk about today? I'm like football, I think I have a football. Well, you got the nosewipe, stay the tou push, Like, what the hell is this? What the hell am I talking about? Is this football? Or is this like pre k Like okay, kids.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jimmy, stop pushing Tommy.
Speaker 4: No more with the toush push okay. And if we're wiping our nose, we do it in a tissue, not with our fingers.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on, skippy, you're better than that. But this has to do with a CD LAMB celebration that I guess is some kind of acknowledgment to the bloods some type.
Speaker 4: Of bloods slash trip situation, her situation. Yeah, and I'm going.
Speaker 3: Okay, sure, but it does sound like something that a you know, a first grade teacher would be saying, you know, tour kids, you know.
Speaker 2: Tommy, stop wiping your nose.
Speaker 3: Hey, you two guys stop with pushing each other push tushes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't wipe our nose.
Speaker 3: Gus in la hi Gus best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 6: We're more than mister Patrick Hope you're the boys at a great weekend. Ben to the weekend. Even though we're shorthand my Lady Trojans surviving to go on to the Elite eight. I know it's going to be a tall test to get rid of Page Beckers and Yukona and I I was looking forward to that rematch between her and Juju. But I guess we'll never get it.
Speaker 3: But this is why they scheduled this. This was going to be the matchup that we were pretty much guaranteed of Connecticut USC Juju Watkins versus Page Beckers. That's why people go, well, why would you do it that way? They wanted to ensure that these two teams met. It's just like LSU against Caitlin Clark. They wanted to make sure they met. And if Juju doesn't get hurt, imagine the build up to this game, Page coming off forty points and you're going against the next.
Speaker 2: Great player in college basketball.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Interrupted you, Gus, but it's TCU, Texas, Yukon, USC, South Carolina UCLA already in what else?
Speaker 4: Do you have.
Speaker 6: No worries about that? Sir? And then you guys kind of already took it, you know, took the wind out of my sales with the whole thing. Because we're seeing two interesting parallels happening right now with the toast push that may or may not be banned, and then the Yankee bats. Will we see the same type of like, you know, we already see the Brewers kind of like raise their arms up in like objection, like whoaha, whoa these bets, these bets, what the hell is going on? Will we see the same type of you know, reaction with it. Will Will the Minnesota Twins or the Red Sox come out and be like, we got to protest this.
Speaker 8: This has got to be illegal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but everybody can do the toushbush, and everybody apparently can get these torpedo bats. Great to hear from you, guys. So the bat rules aren't really complicated. The bat shall be a smooth, round stick, not more than two point six y one inches in diameter at the thickest part, and not more than forty two inches in length. The bat shall be one piece of solid wood. Goes on to say that there may be a cupped indentation up to one and a quarter inches in depth. Two inches wide and at least one inch diameter. So that's it. And it's a former Yankee who posted online that it was a former Yankee front office staffer who now works for the Marlins who developed this torpedo barrel bat. So it adds more mass to the bat. Sweet spot. Okay, everybody can use this. It might be one of those of Hey, everybody can do the tush push, but not everybody has that quarterback in that offensive line. Everybody can use the torpedo bats, but you might not have the players who were able to do what the Yankees did.
Speaker 2: Yes, Ton, so you can reshape the bat.
Speaker 7: Obviously a pitcher can't reshape the ball, but at the very least they should be able to go back to putting stuff on it, put fast leni at, whatever you want to do. If they're able to reshape a bat, the picture needs to be able to have an extra advantage too.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no no. You don't compound this by adding to it. They're altering. You can't alter the look of a baseball. You can't change the shape in the hand.
Speaker 4: Illegal todd to do that.
Speaker 7: I think you're about to put stuff on the ball.
Speaker 12: They're playing with the bat.
Speaker 7: The picture should play with the.
Speaker 4: Ball, and they kind of already can do certain things to the ball. They do scuff it up a little bit there. Yeah, And I mean there's like, I know, there's rules about when you go to your hat and you go to this and whatever and rosinba all that, but there is some stuff that you can do to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are getting spin rate.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to get as upset as Fritzy, but when I saw the bat, it looked illegal. It looks wrong. The look of it doesn't match baseball.
Speaker 2: But you're not hiding a corked bat.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's clearly approved by the league.
Speaker 2: Hey do you think baseball went.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey, commissioner, look at this Yankees. Imagine if the Astros did this. It's the only way to make it more of a story. There's like two franchises that if they did this, it would be a story and it's the Yankees and the Estros. Or if the Dodgers did it, they'd go, oh, they're spending more money on you know, mit scientists who were see.
Speaker 4: That's how smart they are. That's how smart they to everybody. Look, they're looking to the future. Okay, they got a lot of money invested in the future. Look at what they're's great.
Speaker 3: More phone calls coming up, Best and worst of the week on our Play of the Day is next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap O.
Speaker 2: The day.
Speaker 9: This is the play of the day.
Speaker 8: Check this out.
Speaker 4: That's the giant swung on high fly ball deep center field, going back. Mitchell on the track.
Speaker 9: Goodbye three home run day for Aaron Judge too.
Speaker 1: More on a board for the.
Speaker 9: Yankees HiT's sixteenth corn New York in the fourth inning.
Speaker 3: Heurtesy the Yankees Radio Network. Dave Simms on the call. Aaron Judge one of four Yankees to have at least three career games with three or more home runs. He joins Lou Garrig, Alex Rodriguez, and Joe Demascia. That is your play of the day. Play of the Day brought to you by tire rack dot Com. It's the way tire buying should be. It's really simple. You need tires. Go to tire rack dot com full lineup of Continental tires, special offers, free roadh hazard protection. They'll ship them fast, free overnight. You usually ask about mobile tire installation tirerac dot com. The way tire buying should be. The big Yankee controversy with the torpedo bats. Michael Kay, the longtime Yankee announcer, talked about it.
Speaker 12: Now you see the shape Chisholm's bat.
Speaker 8: It's got a big barrel on it.
Speaker 12: Well, it's actually a little bit lower than the barrel. The Yankee front office, the analytics department, did a study on Anthony Valpy and every single ball it seemed like he hit on the label. He did hit any on the barrel. So they had bats made up where they moved a lot of the wood into the label. So the harder part of the bat is going to actually strike the ball.
Speaker 2: That'd be a weird way to hit.
Speaker 3: It's going up there expecting to get jammed and putting the meat of the bat towards the label.
Speaker 4: They allow you to wait a little bit longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah you're wait all right, okay, But anybody could do this. And the person who did come up with this is with the Miami Marlins. Now, I don't know if baseball, I don't know if they have to have a press conference. I don't know if the commissioner comes on a show and says, hey, you know, we knew about this, we had to approve this, We're fine with this. I don't know if this is one of hey, they're getting an unfair advantage. Okay, but if everybody can do it, goes back to the tush push. Everybody can do it. Nobody could do it as well as the Eagles. Now, as I've said before, this is really simple. Just don't let somebody stand behind the quarterback and block the quarterback into the line, into.
Speaker 4: The defense, into the inzi.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 3: They're trying to use data that talks about safety. You know, the NFL is in the entertainment business. The play itself is not entertaining and it's predictable, and they don't like this. It's like the extra point. Nobody's watching. Touchdown, you go get a beer, then all of a sudden you move it back, and all of a sudden, it's like, hey, like this is now musty TV.
Speaker 2: The kickoff.
Speaker 3: They're trying to figure out how we can do this where we don't have data that talks about all the injuries. Because they don't have that, they don't have the injury data for the tush push. They're trying to do that, but they don't have it because if they would cite that, then this goes away.
Speaker 2: But they don't have that. It's like the onside kick.
Speaker 3: They're trying to bring it back, but you can only use it if you're trailing, and normally when you're using it, you're trailing.
Speaker 2: Just here's a heads up.
Speaker 3: Only in a Super Bowl maybe, but you know, if you want to have a full announcement, Okay, we're going to have an on side kick. But it's one of the great plays in the NFL. It doesn't work very often, but when it does, it's spectacular. And how many players are involved in the onside kick, like the actual collision, six maybe eight? Okay, it's one side of the field. You can only have a certain number of players on each side of the kicker. And now I think they're trying to bring that back. They're trying to bring the kickoff back as well, because they're in the entertainment business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauline, going back to the tours, I'm on MLB dot com and they said they were designed to put more wood, more masks concentrated in the area of the bat where a hitter is most likely to hit the ball. So basically they reshaped it to put more wood in the barrel area and have more chances for hard hits. Maybe this isn't unfair to other teams. It's unfair to history because if a generation ago you didn't have access to these bats. Bats were traditional for really one hundred years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's a lot of things that weren't available one hundred years ago, fifty years ago.
Speaker 5: But if you make a bat that drastically increases either power or connection, that seems unfair.
Speaker 3: But it can only be a certain width, it can only be a certain size.
Speaker 2: You can't go up there with a two by four.
Speaker 5: It basically increases your sweet spot, almost like a driver, you know, when you want to hit a driver and they have the you know, the terminology the sweet spot.
Speaker 4: It's like that.
Speaker 3: The bat cannot be more than two point six one inches in diameter. So no matter what you're doing, you can take away some of the mass at the top of the bat and the bottom of the bat and put it in the middle, it still has to measure two point sixty one inches at most in diameter, So it's not like I'm putting a piece of luggage there. I mean, it's it just looks weird because now if the bat stayed that way the entire length of it, so the sweet spot, but it extended to the end of the bat, then nobody would have a problem with it because it would look like a normal bat.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I think over the course of baseball, bats have changed many times, right, like even didn't say Barry Bonds. They started using a different type of wood. Yes, that was used previously before. That's why you saw so many broken bats. But they could swing it faster and get you know, a certain amount of connection. That's reinventing the bat isn't necessarily something that just happened. It's happened many times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it's now they seem to settle on every once in a while to be like, you know, the new wood that they're using, and then it'll be I think birch is the new one, yes time.
Speaker 7: I think the problem is also because it's such a visual thing. If you change the type of wood, you're not really necessarily looking at what's inside or what it's made of. But once you see a weird shape that you're not used to after so many years, Like why now all of a sudden, we reshaping the bat.
Speaker 3: More on March Madness with Seth Greenberg from the mother Ship. Our good buddy, Gilbert Arena's former NBA All Star. He'll stop by a little bit later on as well. Age seven to seven three DP show email address dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. We're one hour in the books, two more to go on this Monday.