Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Friday, September thirteenth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number twenty nine. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are Alive from this WBC Borgage Studios at the Start, presented by LG. LG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why at LG dot com Ford slash O Leedevio.
Speaker 6: I always have trouble with this chair. I feel like everyone sees me every day. Just pull up this chair.
Speaker 3: I was struggling there too.
Speaker 5: Yes, I always feel like I'm the little kid in the big person's chair because it's so tall.
Speaker 7: It's funny you say that, because yesterday when I was walking in here, I saw your feet dangling there in the air, and I always made to come out. Let me just be nice when I laughed inside, Yes, you know it's funny.
Speaker 5: By the end of show my feet asleep. It's the whole thing. It's it's uncomfortable. I don't know why we decided this high table. Thank you Chris Beam and the producer and Scott Purcell and all the people that were part of that decision. Y'all should have talked us into something smaller.
Speaker 3: Anyway, feet are on the ground right now.
Speaker 7: Let me all right.
Speaker 5: I was about to say, yeah, offensive line. All right, let's let's talk a little football. We got a lot to do today. We got to talk about this upcoming game, Cowboys versus Saints. We'll start first with injury updates. There are three guys that are that remain on the Cowboys in list as non participants in practice as Jake Ferguson, Marshawn Nielan, John Stevens Junior. What are we hearing as far as the likelihood that they play well?
Speaker 8: Marsha Nieland upgraded to limited yesterday with the with the calf injuries, So there looks to be a little bit more optimism that Neiland will be able to go on Sunday. But I think when you look at the tight end situation. I think fans should start preparing for Jake Ferguson and John Stevens to not play against the Saints on Sunday. So you're looking at Luke scoon Maker to start at the tight end position. You're also looking at Brevin span Ford potentially an elevation for a practice squad member, Princeton fant, and then, like we mentioned earlier in the week, Hunter Looky, probably with some increased opportunities at the tight end position, maybe in some pass catching situations. But nevertheless, those are the three guys to keep an eye on moving forward. There was a couple of guys that rested on Wednesday that were upgraded to full on Thursday, but really those are the three guys we're looking at.
Speaker 5: When you guys looked at Princeton during during camp, did you consider him to be more proficient as a as a blocker or as a catch.
Speaker 8: For me, it was as a blocker, and they they worked him into some very lipkey like roles in training camp and in the preseason, lining up at full back and kind of being a downhill guy, but also somebody that can kind of squeak out of the backfield and get some of those pass catching opportunities.
Speaker 6: He's an athletic guy. He's a powerful guy.
Speaker 8: They call him bull in the in the tight end room, and you understand why. He's like six foot one two and thirty five two hundred and forty pounds.
Speaker 6: He's exactly, He's just a.
Speaker 8: Bowling ball and he is He is not a guy you want to meet at the point of attack. So it's not going to be a significant drop off when it comes from a blocking perspective. But I think if Dak is trying to work in the tight ends in the passing game, I think that's where you see a really big drop off by not having Jack Ferguson and or John Stevens Junior.
Speaker 6: In this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the thing with fant Man, I just remember him in training camp. The one read that in the Rams game that Trey Lance really missed that where they ran the flat and then the up with the back. You know, they they had fan, you know, and they had it, They had the space, they had everything they needed. All he had to do was throw the ball that direction or look in that direction. He probably would have had a touchdown. But yeah, they're there. Yeah, there was a thought too about depending and I don't know, maybe not out of the woods yet. On on Nilan and think about could you get the two elevations? You know, the elevation from last week was the linebacker. Nick Vigial was the linebacker. So you only have two of these per game, so you gotta be careful. But is this one of those games we have to think about, well, if Neilan say it doesn't get worked out, is this where we see Carl Lawson? You know so? Or is this going to be about wheat? How do you guys feel about these elevation things? I mean with the running backs and stuff like that. I mean, I'm kind of looking at him every week because you only get three before you have to before you have to figure out if you're going to put him on the And so people are like, well, would just be a good week to see Cook, And I'm like, I don't see them using the running back elevation until they absolutely think about Okay, the guys we're playing with right now, are are you know? Okay, we're probably not going to be We're not good enough with this, let's say about Cook. But you got to be kind of careful with these. I mean, when you use them, how you use them? Did you mean did you have to use that one? Is it? You know? Because once you use that third one, once you get to that third elevation, these guys they're either going to be on the roster or gone, So you have to be careful about that.
Speaker 5: I get the impression that Cook is a insurance policy to some degree, or at least let's see what happens with these other backs.
Speaker 4: That's what that's That's kind of the impression you guys are getting.
Speaker 3: Is he the break glass in case of emergency guy?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Mike McCarthy did talk about earlier in the week. He was that now he talked about it in a positive way. He was like, we're going to get him a really good week of practice next week, and so that that leads me to believe that I think they will maybe start looking at elevations with Cook going into the next week against the Ravens or the following week, the following week against the Giants.
Speaker 6: But he's loved his approach so far. He loves the veteran presence.
Speaker 8: He says he fits in that room really well, and we've seen him working one on one with running backs coach Jeff Blasco every time we've been out there for practice, So.
Speaker 5: You could see a scenario where he works into the mix of these backs and not necessarily replace one, but he's just another guy that they can throw out there with with.
Speaker 2: These guys gets.
Speaker 8: That's the thing that Brian brings up a good point is how do you get those three elevations to a certain point where you know you're comfortable putting him on the roster by the end of those three elevations.
Speaker 6: And I think that's who comes off the roster. He goes off exactly.
Speaker 8: And maybe that's a situation where it's not hoping for an injury guy, but I mean, by the nature of the season and how things go, typically about six weeks in, there's gonna be one or two guys that you know you have to put on IR. And maybe it's a situation where Cook is one of those guys waiting. Because I every time that a practice squad is built out there is a top one or two guys that'd be like, okay, if and when an injury happens, those are gonna.
Speaker 6: Be our two guys to activate.
Speaker 8: Last year was brock Hoffman, and it happened a lot earlier than I think a lot of people expected. But he got those three elevations and he was immediately put on the roster. It was a couple of other guys in the same sense last year, like once C. J. Goodwin went down late and vander USh went down, it just made sense to elevate a couple of guys to the roster. So I would assume that Nick Vigil and Dalvin Cook are probably one of those top two guys that would be roster candidates.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, you get to deal with Vigil. I mean, he was a Special Teams and then what happened when Kendricks went out, Nick Vigil went into the game. You know, it wasn't Leah Foul or you know.
Speaker 6: It was a surprise.
Speaker 3: It did me too, and maybe it's you know, it's and I know they really they trust leaf Oul. I know that, but it just seemed odd that all of a sudden, a practice squad elevation. Who you think is a Special Teams player, now he's playing Green Dot. Yeah, he's like he's the guy on the field make trying to get you out of the game and stuff. So I think you have to be careful. I wonder if this and I don't mean to bring up so much about practice squad, but the running back situation. Do you think they're trying to figure out what they have and cook before the trade deadline that they're going to They're going to look at all these guys and think, Okay, we're good enough?
Speaker 7: Deadline again?
Speaker 3: What is it? I always mess this up?
Speaker 6: And it's been moved this year, right, it's been moved this year. Specifically, I knew.
Speaker 3: I was going to look this up before I even said this, and then and then.
Speaker 8: November fifth at a four pm Eastern So so it's about a week later than usually, it's about nine.
Speaker 4: That's about week nine or so week eight.
Speaker 3: So wow. I mean, I think, do you think you'd want to know what's going on with your running back situation before then?
Speaker 4: Well, here's the question.
Speaker 7: Then I would assume you already kind of know what's happening. I mean, if everyone's healthy and stays healthy, you can really evaluate, you know, who are you going to put in or who's going to be best. But I wouldn't assume by that time you can kind of know already what you do have in cook.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's after week nine, so you're halfway through the season at that point, and.
Speaker 5: In your point, Your point, Bryan, is if you're looking at it from that standpoint, you're thinking they're they're like, Okay, we want to make a decision on.
Speaker 4: Do we have the right guy here?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: We don't if we've got a really good team and all we need is a running back or the running game is just falling off a cliff, kind of like what happened when they went out and got a Maori. They say, let's just go get somebody, and we'll give up some draft capital to do it.
Speaker 3: I think, to me, I'd want to know about this earlier. I wouldn't wait till November if it was me. And maybe and that maybe that That's what I'm asking is if the Cowboys, if it turns into okay, we kind of understand what we have in Dabble, we understand what we have in Zeke. By the way, you're gonna need Zeke in this game. If the Saints, if the same questions I got on, if the Saints are gonna blitch you as much as they blitz Carolina, you're gonna need to pick up guy. But the thing about a wonder is that do you figure this thing out early like they did with Amari Cooper. You know, you got to that, you got to a point where they were like three and three and it's like, we can't do this anymore.
Speaker 5: But I'll tell you this, Brian, I'm a big believer in the fact I don't think they're gonna I think I think I agree. I think that in today's NFL, you've seen teams be very successful with a more potent passing game and runners. A group of runners that can just be sufficient, that can pick up the blitz right, that can give you a little bit of spell when you need it, that can run the ball when they need to, where if you're committed to it, they won't just be shut down, but they'll get you a three to four yards to carry and you'll make that work. And I think between the running backs they have on this team, I think they'll that will be sufficient for what they need. There will be bigger problems than their ability to run the ball if they're having problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like you say. The thing with even with with Vaughan, I know it's small sample. Week one, special team stuff wasn't a disaster with him playing on especially matter of fact that one of the key blocks in the on the punt return was his first block. So you know all that, you're like, well he's too short, to guys like me saying, oh he's too short, you can't play them on you know, well, Okay, they're doing things with them, so you wonder. But you're right, the attrition, the injuries. I just don't know if they're gonna put four backs on a roster, you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 6: Yeah, where do the carries come from?
Speaker 3: With that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, in that sense, you also have Lopkey factored in as well.
Speaker 5: Sure, there are several guys who are still listed on the New Orleans injury Report.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna throw these names out there, and I want you guys to tell me.
Speaker 3: The one you don't you look, Latimer's the one you're I think you're the most concerned about it.
Speaker 9: Ye.
Speaker 3: Maybe here's maybe the guard.
Speaker 4: But here's my here's my question.
Speaker 5: My question is if you were the one making the calls for the Cowboys, which of these players would.
Speaker 4: Make you change your game plan if they're there versus not there?
Speaker 5: Latimore, Matthew, Lucas Patrick, that's the guard.
Speaker 4: Kaylen Saunders DeMarco Jackson.
Speaker 5: Which of those guys would make you change up your game plan or you feel like there's a greater opportunity for the team if they're not playing and you can, you can really take advantage of something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I'm with Brian here as far as Latimore goes, just because I think it's going to open up a lot of things on the outside. I feel comfortable with what CD Cooks and or Turpin can do from the slot. I think I think there's gonna be some opportunities in the quick game in the slot across the middle of the field. But if that can push outside the numbers as well, and you have a guy who's you know, filling in for Latimore, I think that's going to open up a lot of opportunities to be able to stretch the field and get downfield. But I think another another injury that popped up yesterday Talies Fuaga, the starting left tackle, Yeah, a back injury.
Speaker 6: He was downgraded to it did not participate.
Speaker 8: So if he cannot go, Lucas Patrick cannot go, and that's the entire left side of their offensive line that's going to be dealing with reserves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. That was the one that kind of got my attention yesterday when when he went on with the back, I'm thinking, oh, if that's something, you know, we'll see how they they how they will adjust to that. If he in fact doesn't go And you mentioned the whole left side of their offensive line would be now in a bind very similar to what you had last week with the Browns and the trouble they had. I think with Latimore is that I particularly do not want Ceedee Lamb running routes against him, you know, And I say this Latimore against Latimore, and to me, Taylor who plays in the slot, Alante Taylor, who plays in the slot, is a guy that gets picked on.
Speaker 6: A lot, younger guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he I mean he and he had a bunch of sacks. He might be he might be an edge for all I know. I mean, the guy had three sacks in the game the other day. But the thing that you he he gets picked on a lot and teams have success throwing the ball in it. But the thing with Marshall Latimore and I mentioned that they played against him in twenty twenty one and he limited against Lamb, but he had an interception and Lambley had one catch, So if you're if you're taking him out of the equation. Mckissory is a rookie who we all liked on the Draft show from Alabama. You know, they've got they've got some guys that are good, but not the level what you were facing last week. Yeah, last week was no separation, you know, really not much going on. You did a nice job in the first half, but this group might be a lot different if Lattim War is not playing in this football game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, we're gonna take our first break.
Speaker 5: We will come back and uh Amber's got a little bit of a game for us.
Speaker 4: Oh, we'll see how shades on.
Speaker 3: Face.
Speaker 7: But we'll see if you guys are up for We.
Speaker 4: Got a fun little game coming up.
Speaker 5: And then the final segment, we'll do some some questions just about this patchup. Get you guys ready, and of course we have our picks that when we come Bright BA Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 11: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour.
Speaker 10: But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, secure five G.
Speaker 12: Requires CAMPATBA plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 9: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG the Ole lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 3: Every hit.
Speaker 9: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 9: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 6: No one comes close.
Speaker 9: LG O Lead Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 13: Don't put off getting your oil change, Dallas take five oil change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think.
Speaker 10: There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 6: You heard that correctly.
Speaker 13: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of cowboy. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 14: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school. An inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed, but Bank of America does, and it's here to help.
Speaker 7: With digital tools to help you save.
Speaker 14: And local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, Bank of America NA member after I see equal Credit Opportunity lender.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break, l.
Speaker 7: G oh led Evil is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital trends set.
Speaker 1: Of l G O.
Speaker 7: L G four has the best picture quality that I've ever seen. Here for yourself at LG dot com. Slash all that evil. I need all the time I got, I got a good from this segment. I need this segment.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, Hey, I know those.
Speaker 7: Streets sometimes, I know that's what those are, the disclaimers, they are.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the segment of the Break. Life from this s WBC Morgan Studios.
Speaker 3: At the Star real happy with us right now.
Speaker 4: This segment is brought to you by l G. I'm sorry by.
Speaker 7: And hey, we give LG love throughout the show the beginning to end and.
Speaker 4: Has a game that's brought to you by Yetti. Right, all right, we.
Speaker 7: Got a lot of sponsors, a lot of so for this game. Yeah, we got it right here, let there there, So for this game because Kendricks and Brand then Cooks. They got the game because of dehydration the theme and Yetti keeps you very hydrated with cold water or hot depending your preference and what you're drinking. But this game is called truth or Hydrate presented by Yetti. So you only get three chances where you can decide not to answer and take your drink glass.
Speaker 4: We're not going to tell you what's in this class, but it's clear.
Speaker 7: It's clear, all right, choose wise sponsors, choose wisely when you decide to drink and not answer. Okay, here we go. What's the most embarrassing thing you've ever done in front of someone? From football personnel, the Jones, any coaches or players? Mm hmm, Tint.
Speaker 8: My My natural sense is whenever I have an embarrassing moment, I just try to wipe it from my brain and pretend it never assisted. So this is tough to like recall, but I know I've had at least one or two. I know I had one at training camp that was specifically bad.
Speaker 4: Does have to be Cowboys player or coach.
Speaker 7: Uh, who do you have ownership?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 4: Tom Brady?
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, So this was the year that the Cowboys went to Tampa to play to play to play the Bucks in the playoffs and uh and Nick n It was me and Nick and Patrick. I think I can't remember who else was with this, maybe one other person. We're walking along and I'm telling them and trying to show them this video that we got for after the game. The social team came up with that's basically this meme from from What's that that movie where the pirates take over the ship and they like, I'm Captain Phillips, Captain Phillips, I'm your captain, Captain Moore.
Speaker 3: And we were like, yeah, as soon as that.
Speaker 16: Was embarrassing, as soon as we win this game, we're gonna do this video and it's gonna have like Tom Brady in and literally look up and the media as I say it, we look up and there's Tom walking right towards It's just him, nobody with him, and he just looks at us.
Speaker 4: He's kind of staring at us.
Speaker 5: But here you go, No he didn't hear, but we don't know that at that point I'm just kind of like, oh, did he hear us talking?
Speaker 4: And he just kind of looks at it.
Speaker 5: He's like, what's up, guys, and just keeps walking and we all like, what's up?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, okay, back to it now.
Speaker 3: When they beat HI, we're gonna show him this video.
Speaker 5: So that was probably the most embarrassing moment that that I've had.
Speaker 8: I think I have one of the tom My head And this is such a me story too. So Tyron Billy Johnson, he was on the practice squad last couple of years. He's a New Orleans native and he went to Warren Easton High School.
Speaker 6: And if you know me, I'm.
Speaker 8: Always on top of the you know, the high schools where these guys are from. And I did a lot of work at Warren Easton back in my day's working in college football recruiting, so I know a lot of his former coaches and things of that nature. It was the first day that he was in the locker room, and I was going to like introduce myself and uh, you know, kind of make the connection that you know I I've I've been to his high school many times, but it just slipped my brain and I was like, so you went to end a car, right, which is like their direct rival. And when it's when I say rival, these two high schools hate each other, and uh, he was like, nah, I went to I went to Easton and I was like, oh.
Speaker 6: That's what I meant. And it was just a horrible first interaction. It was awkward.
Speaker 8: He never made eye contact with me, and I just never talked to tyring Billy Johnson ever again.
Speaker 6: So that that was a tough one.
Speaker 8: That was a tough one because I really had an opportunity there and I just swung and miss.
Speaker 6: That was embarrassing.
Speaker 3: My story. We were talking about the parcels deal in the locker room. Embarrassing for whom it was embarrassed for him, right, I was embarrassed, like you know that. It's like and my man got totally nude in front of me and like he did it on purpose.
Speaker 4: That doesn't sound good and yeah, and.
Speaker 3: I'm like going and I'm like this really happening And I just couldn't I could he make eye contact, couldn't anything. And then my man gave it the Captain Morgan Po's and all that, you know, and I just I walked out. I was embarrassed. I was clarified, Brian.
Speaker 4: Yea, because the picture you're panting is I think a little different than he was talking to you about football. He had just gotten out of the shower.
Speaker 3: No, he started taking his clothes off in front of him, and he was coming from the show. He would know he was. He was It's like blue sweat top pants, grays, and I'm like, he's not doing this? Is he?
Speaker 5: When you were talking football, it was like he was talking check out these ads?
Speaker 3: It like that I was talking. He was talking f And then it got to the point where I'm like, whoa, whoa, what a? What are we doing? Like just you can't just sit there and tell me what you know. And now I'm like it's like you know sometimes old men when they go and if you're ever in a gym, old men walk around with nothing on all the time, and you're like, why why there's always walking around like, you know, with nothing on. And I was just sitting there like, I was like, going, you're really not doing it?
Speaker 17: Are you?
Speaker 3: Code? You were?
Speaker 6: You were his favorite scout, Brian.
Speaker 3: He moved after that. You didn't appreciate it. I was embarrassed. He wasn't embarrassed. I was embarrassed because I'm like, yeah, to do it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess mine is not as funny. I guess the most recent one was at training camp when I was interviewing Zeke and mid interviewer like right off the bat and we started rolling and I was like, oh, yeah, the fans are really happy to have you back. I'm a huge fan happy to have you back. So I know it sounds dumb, but in the moment, I was like, oh God, why did I say that out loud? Eat me Earth. I'm like, just swallow me, open up and swallow me there, because I it's just one of those things that you know, you don't it's not really professional or anything. He was fine, whatever, but I just it was one of those He's just like.
Speaker 10: Weird, like.
Speaker 3: You're kind of nervous.
Speaker 7: Last Yeah, all right, let's uh turn this off a notch.
Speaker 3: I just told a Bill Parcells neude story. That's why I said, no, this is not too bad.
Speaker 7: Who on the podcast? Who on the podcast? Across the board? So, out of all the podcasts that we produce on but not more, would you least want to be stuck on an island with Mickey?
Speaker 3: That one's easy for you Mickey and I. I respect the heck out of Mickey, but Mickey and I would kill each other. We would. We would, absolutely he would. He would, you know, he would start saying something, I would say something, and then he would jump up and hit me right in the face with his fist. Jump up. He would get it.
Speaker 4: He would jump up and hit me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 7: Away to get some speed and yeah, even launch that little Italian right my face.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he don't if he would would, If me and Mickey on a desrot would be we both die.
Speaker 7: I think he would be very resourceful, though.
Speaker 3: Is that what you said the question that I answered, Yes, you did. I don't think anyway.
Speaker 8: Just because I'm kind of thirsty, right, I'm going to drink one, I'm not going to answer this question, but I will say who I would most want to be, and it's Isaiah stand back.
Speaker 6: That man climbed a mountain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 6: I know he's built for it, So I want he's gonna.
Speaker 3: Is this a survival thing? Is this a survival thing or somebody you just don't want to be with.
Speaker 7: You don't want to be with?
Speaker 3: Okay, you're talking about survival stuff.
Speaker 7: He just drank because he doesn't want to say. He doesn't want to give an answer.
Speaker 4: You answer this question? You No, I cannot answer this question. I have to lay out on.
Speaker 3: This burst down and say, don't answer that question.
Speaker 7: He chose to.
Speaker 16: Make.
Speaker 7: Okay, who has did you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: I did not?
Speaker 6: Yeah, trying to get away from this.
Speaker 3: Right, who would.
Speaker 7: I came up with the question? Is that I did not think of my answer? Who would? I? Hm? Hmm, I think this.
Speaker 3: Is this is beam counts.
Speaker 7: Really, you know what I since he's probably listening in.
Speaker 6: The back job camera.
Speaker 7: He's always just pushing my button. So I think we would just yeah, we would just fight each other. He would be on one end of the island and I'll be on the other half.
Speaker 4: Josh is out to lunch.
Speaker 6: Sorry.
Speaker 7: Okay. Who has been the most difficult player to work with?
Speaker 9: Mmmm?
Speaker 3: EMMITTT. Smith? Okay, Emmitt Smith was? I think Emmitt Smith to me is a and I've it's funny because his daughter was my son's cheer buddy, and I tried to get him get to really kind of know him the family at Greenhill. He just never very friendly to me for some you know, and and even when I was in player personnel, and I would say it he just never he comes off as this really, really nice guy, but to me, he's really not very nice. So I guess I'm being honest here that I tried to be friendly and it didn't work out for me, so I kind of now keep my distance. He was a tough one to work with though, he really was.
Speaker 8: I Uh, I'm gonna give kind of a funny answer here because we just had a moment this past off season where you know, he kind of ticks me off a little bit, but we've talked about it and we're cool now. So there was a moment in the off season. Ceedee Lamb had a camp going on down down in Round Rock. It was a youth camp, and he had tweeted out the day before like hey, I'm not talking about any contract stuff, so don't come with contract questions, and I was to get in the back of my brain, I was like, there's a lot more to talk about the just contract stuff, Like I will go talk about his off season regimen. You know, what he's been up to. Where has he been for the last six months. I was like, well, okay, I'll drive down and get this story. Talk to some people had an understanding that I would go down and get an interview, and when I got down there, he declined the interview and I was like, really, like you no, I dropped down here from Dallas and he's like no, man, you know, he like didn't even make eye contact, and he's like, no, I'm not doing it. I was like okay, And so, like literally last week in the locker room, I was like, you know, you owe me one, right, He was like, yeah, yeah, my bad. You know they told me not to talk to me. I was like, yeah, they told you. I was like, but you owe me one souh But yeah, that's uh. That was probably my most frustrating moment probably since since I've been around the beat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't really answer that from the standpoint of just individual. I will answer from the standpoint of our group. I would say, probably there's been snapper, Well, yeah, there was some. Yeah, but I was gonna I was gonna say Roy Williams' safety and it's actually really cool now, but Nickel Nick Nichol need to tell you the story because he did not like our team. He didn't like what we did, the standpoint and stuff we run and stuff.
Speaker 4: Like that.
Speaker 5: And I know he and Nick had some moments and they've since had a good conversation and kind of has gotten better and uh and he actually even did a documentary with UH. So it kind of worked out on the other end. But Roy didn't like our group for whatever reason. He did not like what we did and UH, and that made it very difficult. He was one of the key players on the team at that time. So when you got a key player that doesn't really want to do stuff with you, doesn't want to kind of engage with you in that way, it's it makes it really really tough.
Speaker 3: Jay Ratliffe was hard to Yeah, I'm talking about all these older players, like when when I first started with with you guys with dot com and stuff, And you're right, there are a lot of these players that felt like that because and the way this is set up that Derek and the Jones family have it set up is you know, we report, we say what we say, you know, we're you know, we do what we see, and you know, we interact that way. And a lot of these players are like, wait a minute, we're all to be on the same team here, and and a lot of times you are, but there's a lot of times you have to be critical. Players don't They don't get that, and they just do not And it's tough because we do. We live with them every day and when you get on a plane or something like that, they look at you like, oh, here's the guy that's supposed to be on our team and he's not on our team. You know that that part of it was difficult.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it makes it tough, and so there there have been times when players just so like, but it's the best job.
Speaker 3: Best site in professional sports because of the being able to be objective about how the team's cover. And I get it.
Speaker 5: I think the way they look at it is kind of like your two faces like you're on the team, but then you're being critical and uh. And what what I've always when I've had those conversations, what I've always told him is, man, if we're ever wrong, let me know. We will retract if we're wrong, but otherwise it's our job to give you give an honest assessment of what we see.
Speaker 4: And and I know you know sometimes film, Yeah, I mean we have to.
Speaker 5: And and by the way, that puts a lot of that puts a lot of it that puts a lot of pressure on us because you have to make sure we're right.
Speaker 4: All the time.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 3: Uh oh. But Jason Witten mf me one day for being wrong. And Jason, I mean, I was on the staff that brought him here, drafted him. He came up to me and goes, when the f am I run the wrong route? And I'm like, well listen, I was saying. He goes, what do you know? And and it got in, it got where he drugged me out of the locker room, you know, and I'm like, okay, let's go. Well he goes, come on, let's go, arm around like my neck kind of like let's go, let's go. And I walked out thinking he's going to beat my ass outside of this locker room, you know, and he didn't.
Speaker 4: Kind of let see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been like showing up with blood, right yeah. But that it's in a way, it's it's it's it's exciting to be a part of all this and in a way you're just kind of but that's it's it's the best way. It's honestly the best way. Jason Garrett, Jason Garrett did wanted nothing to do with me. Now, nothing Every time he saw me hate smile, you know, like out, you know, being honest. You know, so you gotta gotta roll with it, Yetta, roll with it. Okay, these things are too honest, these questions.
Speaker 7: I'm like, I'm gonna skip mine so we can get to the next.
Speaker 4: Only have a couple more minutes here.
Speaker 7: Well, you give a really long answer.
Speaker 3: I was too talking too long too.
Speaker 4: Bryan's just taking drink. Answer question and take a drink.
Speaker 7: Okay, Okay, what is what has been the most creative excuse you've used to get out of something or get away with something at work? Huh, we know we've all kind of don't shake your head, Derek, because I know you've this is this is just you that doesn't Yeah, this is every should start answer.
Speaker 6: The last one you should start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you go first.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'm trying to think the most.
Speaker 4: Make sure I get to take some notes for your.
Speaker 3: The most creative way to get out of work, Derek, you still always textas and say, hey, if it's icy out there, you don't have to come into work. And the weather report never called for ice, so I thought that was pretty creative a lot of the time.
Speaker 4: No, you know, me or a chance of ice on the road.
Speaker 3: I'm like, there were some days where Derek don't take any chance. Derek would say I don't feel like working today, and he would call he would call in the weather report and then like I drive in. I'm like, man, it's not.
Speaker 4: Bad, no, Brian. What Brian calls it a feats of strength.
Speaker 5: So what Brian does is Brian looks for moments to put his life in danger and he's like, I'm about to conquer this. And so he looks for ice and he's like, I can drive through this ice. He looks for bad situations, like I will go through this just because I want to prove I can go through this. And I'm like, and I want the other text. I'm like, if it's ice, I'm like, I don't want. Here's what I don't want, and this I don't want to sound too morbid. What I don't want is a whole bunch of people who report to me out on the ice. Somebody has an accident and I get a phone call that someone's been injured or worse, and and now I have to live with the fact that I didn't call it off to just don't I just might live with that. I don't want to have to deal with that. This why is a good boss me? I don't want to have to That's me. We're all here, all right. Whatever happens happens. Not everybody has the NASCAR driving skill that I have.
Speaker 6: I'm drinking, drink. I'm drinking here.
Speaker 7: I saw you pondering, like very serious. I think you come you came up with something in your head.
Speaker 6: I really just can't think that's really.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been so hungover you didn't show up?
Speaker 6: Well, I don't drink. That's a lot.
Speaker 3: That's right, you don't. That's right, that's right, you don't.
Speaker 6: Some late nights.
Speaker 4: Look working here, there's gonna be some times when you're gonna have.
Speaker 3: I remember some holiday parties.
Speaker 4: Just holiday parties are you know? We go to Nobu every year, but they're gonna be some days. Well, you got to come in the next day and be.
Speaker 3: Ready to let me tell you what the one of the and this is. I hope I don't get in trouble for this story. But when when we go to the combine and the one thing that Joneses are really good at is they have a good time. You know, they have a good time but you know what, when the time of day starts at eight am, they could they miss they they could be out till seven fifty five am, eight am. At eight am, they're standing there, they're they're sitting there with ball caps on and like watching guys run forties And I'm sitting there going how do they do that? How do they do this? But I say this in admiration. I don't say it in like whoa, whoa. I say it in how you're able to say. I feel like absolute garbage. But I'm going to work and they do that. They show up and they don't they don't bag out and all that. I mean, I say it in admiration.
Speaker 5: We've had we've had some times when we've gone out, like as a group, yeah to you know, we had meetings and then we'd go out to dinner and it would I'd be like feeling it. And literally the next morning when it was time to get up and we had meetings, they were first ones right there, ready to go. And it was not an excuse that we had a late night. That does not matter. You're gonna be there.
Speaker 3: You yeah, you need to show up. If they're going to show up, you show up.
Speaker 4: No doubt.
Speaker 3: That's how I always felt. I'll tell you this, man, I cannot, I cannot wave this one off. I've got to go.
Speaker 6: You know, whenever we.
Speaker 8: Have assistant coach availability, it's great because it's you don't get to talk to these guys very often. But it's kind of a drag because there's fifteen of them and they're all coming like a three at a time, and it's it's a.
Speaker 6: It's a lot going on.
Speaker 8: The last two times that we have had assistant coach availability, it has been the morning after an event that we've done. So two times ago, it was the retreat that we had our little department retreat and we got back, you know, early that morning, and then we walked right over to practice to do the assistant coach availability and everyone's just like, you know, kind of all disoriented. And then this last time, it was the night after NOBU at training camp, and so it's it feels like the assistants no whenever, we're great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, well we're super late on the break, but go ahead, We're.
Speaker 5: Gonna go ahead and go to our final mint. When we come back, we gotta get some picks. So we got to figure out figure out what these guys that think it's gonna happen. This weekend, Cowboys Versus Saints will be back Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 17: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Jack Black and right.
Speaker 17: Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agin Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 3: Off the field.
Speaker 15: Legendary John Deere tractors, COMBA residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 9: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 3: Every hit.
Speaker 9: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 6: No one comes close.
Speaker 9: Lgold Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 4: See for yourself at LG dot com. Slash O Leadevo.
Speaker 18: From the field of the festivities, lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailing or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at The Star in Frisco, or online at Lucasey dot com. Lu Casey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 11: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per how but the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 12: G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Back to the.
Speaker 7: Break, AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 4: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: Final segment of The Break Live from the SWBC Board studios At the Start, presented by LG, the number one O led TV brand for eleven years in counting.
Speaker 4: See why at ld dot com Force slash O led Evo.
Speaker 5: All right, let's get into our picks. We got about five minutes out here left on the show. I want to know who you think is gonna win, and then I would like to know your final score.
Speaker 4: Let's start with you.
Speaker 3: Brian Dallas twenty six Saints thirteen. Again, I think I did this last week. I think went twenty three thirteen. But I'm gonna go Cowboys twenty six Saints thirteen. I think Cowboys will play some good defense in this game. I think that the Saints were going to try and probably nickel and diming to death. They're probably gonna try and give you a lot of eye candy. It's gonna be about stopping Alvin Kamara. Chris o' lobby. You know, we'll see how he plays in this game. Foster Morose. The tight ends a little banged up. They're throwing the ball at the tight end. It's got to cover him a little bit. Their offensive line might be another one of those messes. When we get to this thing. I think Dallas at home, the offense seems to click. I bet you they get the running game going against this bunch. So I was twenty six Saints thirteen. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I see a similar structure here between the Browns last week and the Saints this week. The only difference being that there's a lot more coming out of the pack field for the Saints. So I'm gonna give the Saints a little bit more offensive credit than I gave the Browns last week, but I still have the Cowboys twenty seven to twenty one.
Speaker 6: I think the defense gets.
Speaker 8: After it, like you said, especially if the left side of that offensive line is out. But on offense, I'm definitely looking at that Ceedee Lamb and Dak Prescott connection. They only connected on fifty percent of targets last week.
Speaker 6: That was their second lowest in the last two years.
Speaker 8: So I want to see a little bit more connection there, a little bit more chemistry there. If those two guys can get on the same page, this offense can take off.
Speaker 7: On this defense, I have a similar score twenty seven twenty three Cowboys win. I think that after last week, they're gonna come back here at home and just have the good vibes for it They're gonna I think the defense is just gonna do the same thing right off the bat, come out strong, and go put pressure all throughout the game. I do see the running game kind of being a lot better this week than last week, so I do see that happening as well, and with a passing game, I mean, I'm expecting them with a score like that. That's not just Brendan Aubrey kicking field goals that it's actually the offense scoring points and getting into the en zone.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm interested to see this week. What we knew about or what we thought we knew about Cleveland going into that game was that they had a really good rushing attack from the previous year. They really didn't do much on the ground against the Cowboys, and I'm interested to see was that a function of the game or was that a function of this defense really having being fitzim or fixing the run defense for the Cowboys. We're about to find out in this game, because they got two formidable running backs that they will be facing this week. And I want to see if the Cowboys a defense can be just as good against the run as I think they were last week. And so I do think that'll happen. I think the Cowboys will run away with this one. I think they win thirty one to seven. Te I don't think it'll really be a particularly close game, but I think Cowboys will win big.
Speaker 3: Nothing better than a noon home game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, let me tell you, you're out of there by what six six thirty to go home at a good time in bed by you you.
Speaker 5: Can actually get to watch the Sunday night game.
Speaker 6: Great vibes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, real quick, before we end the show, I did want to ask this question.
Speaker 3: Everybody picked the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I'd still everybody wanted to everybody picked the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: If the Cowboys, If the Cowboys don't win this week, what will be the reason why Nicholas start with you?
Speaker 8: I would say, I would say offensive consistency. I think we saw that problem kind of rear its head in the second half last week. And I think if we called back to last season, Yes, it was the first year under Mike McCarthy. Yes, there were some some things that were still trying to work out. Terrence Steele was getting back on the field for the first time since his injury, Tony Pollard as well, But there was a lot of offensive inconsistency we saw in the first six weeks last season. Was that a product of playing in the preseason as well? That's a question you might ask. And then they come out last week in the first half barrage. You know, it looked like they were just picking up right where they left off, and the second half hard stop, zero for five on third down. I believe Dak ended up with only twenty three yards in the second half four of twelve passing. Those numbers are rough, but it was around those numbers. If that carries into the first half against New Orleans, and I'm officially looking at this early season problem that they've had over the course of the last couple of years and being able to just find consistency on the offensive side of the ball. And I think whenever you look at the problems that this offense is facing in a vacuum in twenty twenty four, it's Ceedee Lamb getting back into a rhythm. It's trying to figure out this running game with Ezekiel Elliott, Rego Dubell. What does that distribution look like in this case, in this specific game, Jake Ferguson, if he cannot play, how did they factor that in and how do they make up for that?
Speaker 6: Just a couple of things.
Speaker 8: I think if offensively they cannot find consistent rhythm, then I think New Orleans can beat them in these games if.
Speaker 3: It turns into an Arizona game. Last year, we're all of a sudden, Arizona was making a huge place, you know, running plays, pass plays, and Dallas really didn't have an answer for that day. You know there's some big, big plays that were giving up in that game and that won it for Arizona. And if Dallas doesn't, if Dallas gives up a bunch of big plays allows car to feel comfortable a lot of they has some catches all of a sudden, that running back looks like the all Pro he can be. Then this could be a repeat of Arizona because they're capable of making some big plays in the running game and also throwing the football.
Speaker 7: I would say if there were to lose this game, I could see it because of lack of creativity on the offensive side of the ball, but also penalties, like creating some penalties that just put you in a really bad position at really bad time. So that wouldn't my answer, right.
Speaker 8: If I could two streaks to keep an eye on when it comes to this game specifically, Yes, the Cowboys did lose at home to the Packers in the playoffs, but if we're talking about regular season home winning streaks, the Cowboys have won sixteen in a row. That is only two off of the franchise record. So if they're able to get to win this week and against the Ravens next week, then we're officially starting to talk about franchise record setting numbers, but they are tied with the New England Patriots for twelfth all time, as well as the Pottsville Maroons.
Speaker 3: The Maroons were good. I'm still approgram Bulldog Turner good center for them.
Speaker 6: The other the other streak to keep an eye on.
Speaker 8: Twenty three straight times the Dallas Cowboys have lost whenever they have scored less than twenty points. The last time that they did win against the Saints thirteen to ten, that Thursday night game back at twenty eighth Lewis Yep, Jordan Lewis game. Jalen Smith had a big game in that in that one as well, but that was the last time that the Cowboys scored less than twenty in one game.
Speaker 5: All Right, we appreciate you guys joining us. I will say real quick, there are two players for the Saints. I think you got to keep an eye on Rashid Rashid Sure, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Rashid Shahed that's tough. And Chris Olave.
Speaker 5: Both those two guys for different reasons, but I think they're big play type receivers and if we I think if the Cowboys do lose this game, we will look up and those two guys will have made some big plays. Because I think right now, what we don't know is Caylen Carson looked pretty good last week. I think this is a different type of challenge this week. So we're gonna get a chance to see him against some speed guys, some guys that can get down feel real quick, and we'll find out how well he plays in those situations.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll be back on Monday.
Speaker 5: We'll tell you what and right and wrong for the Cowboys till the inf Nick Carris Brian brought us in Amergarcia.
Speaker 4: I'm Derek Goton.
Speaker 5: This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.