Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Caroline, thank you for that update. Well, let's dig a little deeper now and take a look at some of the stocks that are on the move today in Europe. I'm team Adebayo with Caroline Hapca and we're joined by Bloomberg reporter Chloe Many. Good morning, Chloe. Let's start with a drop for Novo Nordisk. They reported their earnings today which were a little higher on the scale than was previously expected.
Speaker 1: What's the latest there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So the reason why we're seeing this weakness this morning for Nova is because the sales of its weight loss pill disappointed investors. They did not manage to be expectations and a lot of investors were really hoping that this Wigov pill would outperform. There was a real sort of hype around it because the launch earlier this year was considered the most success ccessful obesity drug launch in history, and so that you know, hopes were really really high. Unfortunately, it did not manage to meet those and so we see we saw that as a big disappointment, and then going forward there's going to be some perhaps some things kind of complicating the outlook for Novo. There's questions around Medicare coverage in the US, There's questions around how successful the rollout of this Wigo vpil will be outside of the US.
Speaker 1: The next big launch is in Germany.
Speaker 4: And crucially there's the question as well of how successful Eli Lilly is going to be with its own a weight loss pill that it has launched.
Speaker 1: And you know, there's been recent trial setbacks as well. For Novo.
Speaker 4: There's this continued competition between Eli Lilly and Novnordisk, which has culminated in Novo suing Eli Lilly over some what it says is misleading advertising on its weight loss drugs.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot happening at the moment.
Speaker 4: And this are saying that the results that we had last night, we've a lot of questions open for twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Absolutely, So that's really interesting, isn't it on Nova Nordisk in terms of the hopes of the pill and what is transparring there. Okay, let's pivot to the high street here in the UK. Next shares rising after a boost to their sales tell us a bit more about what the.
Speaker 1: Business is doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Next is really kind of confirming its status has a really bright spot in that UK retail sector, which of course has been affected by that weaker consumer confidence that we've been talking about throughout this earning season. So Next this morning boosted its guidance for the third time this fiscal year.
Speaker 1: It also said that it had really.
Speaker 4: Benefited from the very sunny and hot weather that there has been here in the UK, of course, and then its international division also performed very well, so it was a very solid set of results from Next this morning. This is a company that has a track record of boosting guidance. It does it very often, and this particular boost was actually expected by analysts.
Speaker 1: But we've still seen the shares assuring.
Speaker 4: This morning on the back of this, So for investors this was probably seen as quite a reassuring update in terms of that broader retail spending, maybe a sign that consumers have been a lot more resilient than we thought and then that we feared.
Speaker 1: It is worth noting that Next.
Speaker 4: Does expect sales growth to moderate a little bit in the second half of the year, so we'll see if that it can kind of keep up this momentum.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll keep an eye on shares at next. But finally, semiconductor maker in Finni, and we had from their CEO a bit earlier, how are they faring today with this particular focus on tech shares that we're seeing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, this is for Vinnie and really a classic story of very strong results but then just not quite strong enough for this AI trade. We've seen those really strong forecasts coming from this chip maker, thanks to data center demand, of course, but it did not manage to convince investors who are becoming kind of increasingly worried about these sky high evaluations.
Speaker 1: That we've seen in this AI sector.
Speaker 4: There's a persistent worry around whether this spending in AI is sustainable, whether this circular financing that we're seeing in the sector is justified. And so for chip makers in all of those AI related stocks we've seen, we've seen kind of those really strong results not being really strong enough.
Speaker 1: To reassure investors.
Speaker 4: And this was really well summed up by a citianas saying that fundamentals are moving in the right direction, but market expectations have moved even quicker, and so we're seeing infinance siaes down.
Speaker 2: This morning the Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.