Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 3: We're round and Bishop and musition, edition and ambition.
Speaker 2: We need to get our breaks checked. We're a little squeaky today. I'm here, tell me about a baby. What's going on, honey, But nothing.
Speaker 3: It's just the last few days, you know, we've been, you know, doing this partnership with my friend Terry, with her her Friday masterclass. Are investing today's I mean, by the time, y'all hear this is too late, but.
Speaker 2: Y'all because you know how those partnerships can be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no's we know, you know, but it's just, you know, it's just been a lot of work and then low key hockey.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they might listen.
Speaker 3: My my what's called a company reached out to me today about like another book. Everybody like, yeah, by publisher, and I'm like, go sit down up with the world.
Speaker 2: Book came out in an ocean book.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing nobody's book because they could hopefully they could just could count as a notice.
Speaker 2: You know, I can write the whole thing. I'd be a ghost writer for you.
Speaker 3: No, because it's not the writing of the book part is the easiest part, girl, It's the marketing part that's why they don't tell you, and so like they're like, ooh, even they were asking because oftentimes you'll have a book when it's a hardcover, you know, you eventually make a transition into softcover. So that's a conversation they want to have. But truthfully, you only do that when the book sales are waiting. But like, honestly, we just sold eight hundred copies last week, like nine hundred a week before twenty five hundred a week.
Speaker 1: You sold eight eight hundred copies last week.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, so we're still selling so amazing. You're selling more than like a first like most author sell. So I'm just like.
Speaker 3: Usually I'm just like, I don't know that it's ready for paperback, because usually you do that as like to reinvigorate the book.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. I mean I always imagine like a year after a book comes out, but yours has been out for well you did the worst book, but yeah three years now. It's like, yeah, well usually they do the paperbacks are more affordable, yes, So for that, you know.
Speaker 3: They usually say that the reason why is because that's why they like to bring it out, because they're like, oh, people are not buying it. Maybe it's the price, but it's like, well, that's how true. It's it's hell pretty steady in about thousand sales give or take a week. And so I'm just kind of like, but also if you do a paperback, that's another push.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm yeah.
Speaker 1: The marketing required.
Speaker 2: I don't have.
Speaker 1: It in me.
Speaker 2: You got other stuff to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm just like, we just try to save this company job like y'all know, I'm you.
Speaker 3: Know, we are this is the year. I mean, we are stable. Yeah yeah, But I'm just like, so just all the things. I mean, there's a lot of changes happening, but good changes. I feel good about it. It's just a little overwhelming. Oh yea, let me do that one. Need that, you know what, just a nice sometime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do the nose reach up to the sky and let that ship go. Yes.
Speaker 1: Well, all in all, things are going really well. It's just a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Breathe, baby, breathe, that's all I can do. I don't know whether it's the weather, my meds like, it's probably the weather in the fact that I've been I moved so much this week and I did so much activity, but I just was really feeling I'm feeling optimistic. I'm finally getting through the fog. And just of the first the first you know, quarter of twenty twenty four kicked my ace. But yeah, things are feeling good. Mental health check is is great. And if one of the things that brought me so much doy is that I evicted my boys from my bathtub, I took it back. It's like they have a whole bathroom upstairs that's just collecting dust. You know. It's like the bathroom where my husband will go when he wants to, you know, like flow up. That's all it is. You know, it's like the it's the clean dust and poop. Uh Ever, anyway, well, if you're lucky, you have a poop bathroom. Yeah. And our bathtub has really become like the kids. It has everything we have, Like I wanted to make the Battip funds. We have like a whole march, like a marble run for water, suction cup to the wall, and all these toys and no om my got so many monster trucks blah blah blah. But I just unsuction cupped everything. I said, I said, Rio, we're filling up a big tub. You got to pack a box. We got to go, and he actually got excited because he got to choose where stuff went on the wall in the new bathroom. And his new shower has a detachable shower head, so you know that's going to be a mess, but small baby steps. We planted some flowers yesterday. There was park play, lots of walking. I really wanted to call you this morning and I was like, no, no, no, no, no, save it for the podcast. What happened, Well, I had like this interesting interaction with a dad at Rio's pre k, and I was really feeling like, anyway, I'll tell you what it is, because I want to get your tank on it. My husband was like, he's like, girl, run away. This feels very He's like, don't catfish. Just feels very weird. But so anyway, dropping Rio off today at his pre k and you always see the other parents. We're at the door of shame where you have to go if you come in after nine, which we do every day, and you got to call and they gotta be like, okay, we're coming anyway. So him and his daughter were there. I was the daughter was so cute. I usually just have a big smile whenever I see the kids and they're just like that lady with the hair always smiles at me, so she was whatever we were vibing. I go to the back to the car. I got the baby in the car and I kind of hear him approaching me sort of. And I get in the car and I see him and he's looking at me like, oh, never mind, and I just rolled the window down. I was like, oh no, what is it. And he just walked up and it's the strangest thing. It's a black guy. He's like, my name is we'll call him Terrence. So my name is Terrence. And he just looks so like down, just down, and he said, I see you're wearing a wedding ring. And I was like, oh my god, what is he gonna You know, I'm just like, oh, I didn't look like this, and I'm just saying I was like wow anyway, But he was like, I'm really struggling in my marriage. I wanted to know what he's like. This miserable, this is it's it's making me the worst version of myself. I can't sleep at night. He seemed it was very sincere, and he was like opening up, but at the same time, I'm thinking, to me, like a complete stranger, just based on the fact that I have a wedding ring on. And I was like, and you know, I think I see his eyes kind of getting misty. And I if it had been someone that I even a little bit knew, what I would have done is get out the car, give him a hug, just offer, like you need a hug. But I had that, and I was like, hmm, but I did. I showed him the attached book that you and I, you know, I have talked about, and I told him like, it sounds like maybe talking to a therapist, because he had like a he had a Caribbean accent, maybe Jamaican. And he said that he was so desperate to just talk to somebody because he kind of is isolated in his family and friendsh they all know each other and stuff. And he's like, I don't have anyone I can talk to who's not a family member or someone who knows us already. And anyway, I was like, better help use Cobron ambition for ten percent. I didn't say that, but I was like, you know, therapy would be great just for you, and it was. Yeah, it was just so bizarre and part of me is like I wish, you know, why don't we just chat to people sometimes if you're having a hard time, you know. I think in that moment, he was probably just desperate, yeah, for someone to just hear him and reaching out for help. And I hope he does see a therapist. But it left me feeling like just really sorry for him, really sad for him, but also like, oh, that was a human interaction that I don't get to have all the time. But then Enrique said it was probably a whole like bait and switch thing, and like, I don't know what to think about it. If I see him again, I don't know what to do. I'm gonna see him again, and we're always the door of shame together. It's one of two things.
Speaker 3: He was trying to do, a pre holler, you know, like hey, I see what you're I'm just said, let me see can I be toodled in your bosom?
Speaker 2: Let's see how she can both co miserate?
Speaker 3: Yes, right, So IT'SI the pre holler, like let me test the waters or this is somebody really that was like really struggling, And.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's like I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if you've ever been in a position where the emotion is so to the top that you know, all like kids just cry, you know, like you know, I'm sad. You know, Rio is gonna be like I'm gonna drop down to get my egolong, I'm crying and whatever. In the moment I feel it, but after the you're like, I'm gonna wait till I get to my car, and sometimes repress. It is so there I can remember distinctly, like, for example, I went to the DMV after Jerrell passed away. You have thirty days to switch the card of their name so you can get insurance or whatever.
Speaker 2: And it was like day twenty eight and.
Speaker 1: I go to the DMV and they're like, you know, you know how it is when you at the one.
Speaker 2: I'm already stressed, just thinking, yeah, that interaction, but especially the Jersey one.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, yeah, I'm trying to hold it together, you know, I'm hean you to switch the car and my husband then, you know, and she's like why, and I just said he died and just she actually came out of her.
Speaker 1: Boot around and gave me up because I you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 3: So I'm just saying that sometimes it could be that he was so full of like I am at my wits end. I don't have any She seemed like nice, probably just because you smiled and you it's like I need something, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And so that's what it sounds like. I mean, I'm more inclined to think that. But men, I always you know, men are up to shananigans.
Speaker 2: I'm going to choose to be on that. I want to choose to that side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it sounds like and it's just I'm so glad that you gave him the book.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I hope you suggested therapy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean, obviously it's nothing. I mean, I hadn't have my coffee yet. I was like, that's the first thing I said to him. When he got finished. I was like, I have not even had any coffee yet. But I'm gonna do my past because I feel like you need it.
Speaker 3: Hey, ba fan, We're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that's such a beautiful story about the woman at the dB DMV. I had a recent experience. I don't know if I told you. When I came back from one of my trips to Atlanta for my dad. Me and Remy were at the Atlanta airport. Which listen, y'all talk a lot of shit about Atl's airport. I actually, I don't know if it's like the emotional connection I have so many I just love that airport. I think it's very efficient. I think the train is, you know, bar none to any other airport I've been in. Getting you to your gate airports are huge. You ever been to Minneapolis. You to walk to FN miles just to get from the from the check into my gate area, Like, where's the train, where's my transportation? Anyway? But anyway, so I get through, I get I had had a rotten interaction I'll just say rotten with a Delta gate Delta agent who was like checking the baby stuff. And by the time I got to Now, I have been throughout this at airport like many times over the past six months, and I always go to the family Assist line and just just so happens that this young woman ah and I can't remember her name because I'm a piece of garbage, but she's a door she's a young black woman. She works in TSA, but she's studying at Emory to be a gynecologist. And I know this about her because I've seen her so many times. And anyway, the last time I went through, she wasn't my girl because I went She's usually there in the morning. I had flown at night, so I didn't see her. But this time, and you know, like when you're really like, I'm trying to hold it together as I'm in line, but I'm feeling all these feelings. It's very early by the time I get to the area where they're like, put your thing in a bin. No, not that bin, No, take that out. Da da da da da. Like I started to I was like, you know, like I was. I was starting to cry. It was happening, and I was like there, no, I couldn't wipe anything. I had the baby. My hands were tied, and the lady with the bit by the bit was just like go ahead, you know, really just trying to give me my privacy. But also I'm crying in front of rely strangers. But then who was on the other side but my but my bestie at the Atlanta airport and the Family Assist line, and she just saw me. I saw her, and she says, I got a chair for you right here. What's going on? I've never seen you this way though. She talked to me like we had been friends since childhood, and I was and I just sat in that chair. She gave me a hug, and she just let me sat and collect me sit and collecting myself, and it just didn't matter what anyone else thought about me in that moment. But and just if you're you know, and that's that's such a that's happened to me for sure. Yeah, that moment comes to mind. And if you've been the one who needed that kind of person, or you've been that person for someone, for the random person struggling, it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 3: So thinks it's just to like reach out and just like because you know, like at the end of the day, we're all humans, and you know, like I mean, there has been a time or two where I've seen, like, especially some young woman crying, and I'm like, you know, I was at the park door, my park walk. It was a young Latino woman. She was just like sitting on this park bench. She's like eighteen nineteen. I think she had a suitcase. She was like hysterically crying. So I walked past her. Then I stopped and I was like, I feel like I can't just leave this young woman here crying, and so I said, are you okay? But I realized she didn't speak any English, So I was like, lord, what is my broken Spanish?
Speaker 2: I was like, are you the you know tennis? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was like, because I was nervous. My first mind, I thought to myself, she's a beautiful young girl. And I thought to myself, a beautiful young girl crying in the park. I don't want some man to come take advantage of her, you know. I'm I sat with her for a little while, with my broken Spanish to try to figure out what's happening.
Speaker 1: She didn't really share. I just sat with her for a little while to see.
Speaker 2: Do you need a ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need because you just hope that somebody will be there, you know, when you need to like, you know. But yeah, So I'm just glad that he, at least for a moment, had a reprieve and now you weren't like.
Speaker 2: Get away from me stranger's anger, because that would have been really disheartening way sometimes as a woman. But in the context, I just saw him with the daughter. She's very cute, it's very well cared for. You know, it had been if it had been two am at the park, probably a different story. Also, why would I be there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's true. People with kids always get like, that's what they tell kids. It's like the number one they think.
Speaker 2: They say.
Speaker 3: They're like, if you are lost or whatever, look for a mom with a kid, because because the likelihood is that you're gonna mama bay of him. Come sit next to you, baby, because we're gonna find your mama. We're gonna you know, like that that you're probably safest with a mom with I mean, of course, you can never never know for sure, but you're probably safest with the mom.
Speaker 2: Having lived in the suburbs for a while, I will say, I think there's some moms who are waiting to be that hero, Like they can't wait. It's like they're just looking for lost kids, but they want to find them. I don't know, is just thought. But yeah, So what what else is going on in the world? Businesses really good.
Speaker 3: I have been making really hard business decisions. So I so here is an unlock and maybe this will help somebody with business or their career or whatever. I realized I was carrying around this this thought process that for the first time I realized that's not true, like that I believe that in order for you to have I'm trying to think that conflict not conflict. What was the word I use that confrontation. I don't know how I had like a perfect phrase for it, but basically that when you had to confront someone that it had to have conflict.
Speaker 2: I mean like I might say.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, Mandy, hey, you hurt my feelings, but it always had to be like, Mandy, you really hurt my feelings. I didn't like that because sometimes confrontation and I don't know if confrontation is the right world, because I feel like inherently in confrontation there's this kind of conflict baked in. But then in a hard conversation had to be had that there always had to kind of like bueness underlying of negativity, you know, not that you're yelling or screaming, but like it couldn't be had softly, or or like it couldn't be had almost joyfully.
Speaker 2: Or you know, they would be like really a gress and yes, and so be really defensive.
Speaker 3: And so it always made me say I didn't want to do it because I was like, oh my gosh, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want.
Speaker 3: And so most recently I've been having to have in business some really hard conversations and and they've all been someone like a friend of mine was like, so, for example, my I have this the guy who cuts my my lawn. His name is Louis is super nice. So it's been winter, you know, Louis wasn't here. Louis came back and if you've you've been to my front lawn, Mandy.
Speaker 2: To call it a lawn, why does he cut? You can't girls.
Speaker 1: So Lewis came and then sent me like this text like oh one fifty.
Speaker 2: I said, oh my god.
Speaker 3: So I was really upset because before Lewis used to charge me for one cut I mean yes, and I said, he said for clean up and cut.
Speaker 2: So he texted to me, we need roman to get a lawnmower girl.
Speaker 3: So I was really mad. So I'm ranting a raven, not to Louis but to everybody else. I told my because my friend Cabral suggested Louis to me. My other friend, I was telling everybody.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, you believe it, oh lord, And.
Speaker 3: Cabraw was like, well, why not just tell Louis that's too much money. You don't want to pay that. And I was like, I am, but I'm gonna have to tell him, hey, you tried it, because in my mind, when someone does something to you, there has to be this kind of like conflicting conference, because that's how just how I grew up, that's just how it looks like. And so I avoided it, avoided avoided it because Louis had called me to see can I come clean? Can I come cut your grass? I didn't answer. He called me, I didn't answer. He ranged the door, but I didn't answer, and he cut it anyway. So you know, I was extra piss like you cut it and now.
Speaker 2: You try to overcow.
Speaker 3: So I was already and then I forgot to text him to say I ain't paying it. And so a week later, here come Lewis outside again. So Cabra was like, Tiffany, Louis is really chill. I promise you you're the only ones dressed. So I said, you know what, I am going to try to say the thing without confrontation. I said, hey, Louis, I know you came last week and you said one fifty for cleanup.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I hardly have any grass. I don't think that's a fair price.
Speaker 3: Also too, whatever price he was trying to charge me, I said, I don't think that this is a fair price.
Speaker 2: I don't want to spend.
Speaker 3: More than thirty dollars per cut, you know, cause I feel like that's fair and that's front and back.
Speaker 2: And Louis wrote back, okay.
Speaker 3: I was like, wait what I was like, I said, no, thirty dollars to cut the front of the lawn in the back, you know, like to blow the leads whatever in the back.
Speaker 2: He said, okay, yeah, And I thought, Tiffany, it.
Speaker 3: Was like an eye opening moment where I had thought to myself it had to be this like headbudding, and it's like, no, you can say a thing. So that's a confrontation if you will, but it doesn't have to be one that is filled in righte with conflict and that I took that energy with Lewis saying okay, and I had this difficult a series of difficult conversations that basically the response too was oh okay.
Speaker 2: And I was like, wait a minute, have I been doing life wrong? So we all know? And I can't wait for you to forget this lesson, as we all do, and to have to remind yourself of it a couple of years from now. Yeah, So it's hard being a human you choose to be around other humans. WHYDA wonder? I got it? What could I stop? She's just laughed. She was like, girl, never made it.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's just ongoing.
Speaker 2: She's like I.
Speaker 3: But honestly, it was such a freeing lesson because, like I said, I just grew up in a household where conflict was like the name of the game, honey. So such a freeing lesson that you know, you can say the thing without any underlying like like not that I have underlying aggression, but not you could say the thing with the expectation that someone's gonna receive it peacefully and.
Speaker 2: Gonna respond peacefully.
Speaker 3: And so like you, you could do that, Tiffany. And so I've been doing that. And when I tell you, I've had some hard like conver stations in business, like downsize and conversations in business and that's not easy, and it's been met with okay, and I'm like, wait, what you know? And so I've just yeah, I just hope that that's a lesson that someone can kind of absorb, which is that it is possible to have the hard conversation. Some of you knew this, are note this is already Batten. It's possible to have the hard conversations and it not be contentious.
Speaker 2: You know, hey, be a fan. We're going to take a quick break and we'll be right back. I'm very uncomfortable because I have had a situation recently with I'll say I'm a close one and I was so confrontational when they came to me with some feedback and so and I hate it, and you know, I had been taught I have been This happened two months ago. Wish and I have been talking about it in therapy and it's and it's just been like and I've been annoyed at my therapist. I don't know if she doesn't listen. I've been annoyed because I'm like, it's still the same, nothing has been resolved. I'm like, what am I? And then last week I was like annoyed that we were just having the same conversation and I was like, Okay, let me think differently about it because you're not That's like, what angle have I not what angle? Have it. It's always been like, was this person wrong to say it? What? You know? Was I wrong to do the thing? And what was the all the things? And I had argued it from so many different angles. What I hadn't said, what I hadn't like asked myself and I did last week, was but wait, why was my reaction so hot? Why was I so immediately like you know when you turn up flame on the stove? It was one of them, like and I was like a nuclear, you know, explosion, and instead of just like letting myself burn out, I responded with that feeling anyway. So I'm not about to tell you guys how I fixed it, because it's literally men a week, not even a week since I talked anyway, And I need to work on that. I need to like work on it. And it's only with people who I'm close to. And finally, and this is what's very frustrating about therapy. You have to be kind of your and I can see Lauren doing it. I wish she was more. If I was like, if you can just point exactly to where on the page you want me to read, that would be much more efficient. But she just kind of mentions things in one big you know, in one big train of like you know, stream of consciousness, and that I'm hearing her say the same thing, like, well, you do seem to like, you know, really take things. You know, you do seem to think when people give you feedback sometimes that it's about you as a person, as a wife, as a sister, as a friend, as a neighbor or whatever. And then you just like assume that they want nothing to do with you, and you take yourself away. And I'm like, yeah, well that's happened a couple times. Yeah, but that's not what's happening in these times. It has happened, but those those you know anyway, And so now I'm like, well, shit, epiphany had But how many years have I been in this girl? And I know that the therapy side like, yeah, lot, I'm tired. Lord, that's so exhausting, And it's exhausting because we're confronting it, you know what I mean. But it's such But because we're confronting it, we need that's gonna make it. Maybe maybe what's his name, the the lawnmower, Maybe he's been in therapy and he was able to take that feedback a lot better. Because of it. I don't want to be the reason someone is so afraid to get feedback. Yeah, oh yeah, do you mean that that breath he gave me? You need to do that. You need to do that again. Okay. And I've been trying to figure out how to talk about that. Is it such a huge, sort of like background thing happening in the past few months. But yeah, I do need some breaths. Okay, I'm figuring it out. I'm figuring that. Okay, that's all I want to know. It's all I need to know. I'm doing my best. We all are. I didn't want to bring up something because I have you seen this documentary everyone's talking about about Nickelodeon girl, I don't know if I want to talk about it quiet on set. I'm not gonna watch it. But yeah, not even a little bit. I mean a little bit. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that just always makes me so sick. I guess because I work with kids.
Speaker 2: It's just oh yeah, okay, well what I want just for those of you, this is essay trigger warning. Okay, for sure trigger warning. The documentary is for sure trigger warning, and they have one at the beginning. It does talk about essay when it comes to minors with children, this particular instance is not necessarily about that, okay. And part of the documentary I started to w I was like, let me just see what they're talking about. And it just it hooks you because I was such a like a nick at night kid. All that was my room all the time. Yes, I wanted to dress like those kids, and I wanted to be that. I wanted to be there. And you know, I loved Amanda the Amanda Show. I loved Keenan and kel Goodburger like all that. I don't know why they had to do a single sequel, no one asked for, but anyway, so I was I was immediately drawn in. And I and to find out one of the cast members, Raquel Raquel Leelo, she was a cast member. And then she this was during the on the on the documentary she's been she talked and I she didn't mention this, but it came out in the press recently that when she was on the Amanda Show that she spoke out about how Amanda, the actress who was like, you know, she was the son of this program. She came from all that they gave her her own show. You know she was the star, and how like Amanda had spit on her during this whole segment, and how no one stopped it, no one, and it was like multiple takes. It was on the oh, this is the fifth episode of the show. And not only that, but Amanda was allegedly made to continuously spit on her every time I said spit it out. This is Raquel talking. Every time I said spit it out, she would spit what was in her mouth, water, whatever it was, indirectly in my face. The third time, I was infuriated so mad. The director hurried and put me on the side of the set and was like, listen, breathe in, breathe out. She's the star of the show. Don't make too much of a problem. I'm going to ask her not to spit in your face, but you have to keep your cool and listen. Amanda at the time was also a child. Yes, but this yes, and I just anyway, the whole really, why it's on set is extremely disturbing in a lot of ways, but just in a workplace context. The way that bad actors influence like a room and influence a set, whether that set is like a Hollywood set or it's you know, it's a conference room at a major corporation or a small corporation. Just how these toxic characters can infiltrate and then all of a sudden, everyone is like, no one's talking about it, but everyone's complicit in this abuse. And it reminded me of a book that I had recently picked up that I you know, the woman who wrote Radical Candor. What's her name? Hold On, I have the book right here. Allow me to get my book bag. It's a key book bag now, yellow Survio. It's very bright. Multiple times at day at pickup or drop off, a teacher will be like, oh, I'll take Rio's backpack. I'm like, that's mine, it's mine. Anyway, this is a book. It's called Just Work. Kim Scott that's her name. I believe she's a white woman, doesn't matter, but anyway, she wrote Just Work, Get Shipped, Done, fast and fair. This was her follow up to Radical Candor. I don't know if it went as bonkers as Radical Candor did, but I hope it does because this is such an incredible book. For it's literally written not for the people who have been well. There are instances where she's speaking to people in the workplace who have who have taken the abuse. And yes she is a white woman because she mentions that multiple times in the book, but she really examines abuse that happens, discrimination, harassment, essay, everything in a workplace, and she examines how can we what can be done so that we can just work, just work, We can just go to a workplace and just get shipped done and not have to deal with being bullied or harassed or having sexism against you. And it is extremely practical, extremely practical. I would say, if you're one who is on the receiving end of situations like Raquel, it may not listen. It's not going to be someone spitting in your face, but it may be someone who consistently takes credit for your ideas, or consistently discounts your contributions or doesn't who this is a very triggering one leaves you off an email that pertains to you, oh forgot to see see you. That kind of like small stuff. It'll give you, you know, strategies you can use to decide how to handle that. But it also like every page has sort of like a key too on like who it's for? Is it for leaders? Is it for is it for the victims? Is it for the people causing harm? So if you and listen, we're not We're all, you know, I think capable of inflicting harm against one another through bias, through prejudice, through bullying, whatever, as much as we are to, yeah, as much as we are to being on the receiving end of it. And yeah, I just I just really like this book and it reminded me of that situation and how I think quiet on set probably would not have happened had a book like well, I don't want to say that people are just evil and disgusting and you know, vile, but this is a really good book. If you have any say in you know, what leadership but your company, what kind of trainings or like education they have to get, I would be like, hey, this is a book we need. So I did it to my thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sat through and I just read this like, I mean, read it so fast. So great book. That's all.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Are you ready to get some color back, mandra, I would like to know where it's coming from, man, because you think we're entering post winter, we're entering into this we are I was I was gardening this weekend and I did wear sunscreen. That's a thing. Do I want to be toasty and like gorgeous and wrinkly and potentially have melanoma? We're like, do I want to just say, girl, your skin color? Is your skin color? Just? Well?
Speaker 3: Question when you wear because I do wear sunscreen, you know, but does sunscreen?
Speaker 1: I guess I don't notice. Does a sunscreen mean that you actually don't tan as much?
Speaker 2: Well, that's I mean, tanning is sun damage. You know, there's no healthy level of tanning. So yes, if I am tanning with with sunscreen, basically, you know, what does the factor mean it factor fifty is like fifty percent of rays are filtered out or I don't know. Okay, Okay, don't cutting on that. I know I've read an article that's like, we think of sunscreen grade it's completely wrong. I may still be thinking of it wrong, Okay, but yeah, I still get I can still tan and burn, but yeah, it's not good for your skin. So I wear lots of hats, but I don't do a good job protecting my arms. So you can tell.
Speaker 1: If I was gonna say, when you put your hand up, I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: It's not the same color because you know, all my cute little makeup and stuff has that's P thirty but my Avena and my Upera four probably, which is what I'm always slathering on. Yeah, anyway, now time.
Speaker 4: To boost up, break up, boost up, break up, boost up? Break m you learning a boost? Is she going by what you're gonna do? What you're sad?
Speaker 2: You got a boost up by egg me. I feel like I do have a boost. I mean, sorry, I have a big break. Well, you know, I do a like I go first because that's a big one like little boost. So my boost well, you know, since Mannag's just hearing books and all, did I did I ever share the book ten X is easier than two X? I shared it on the podcast. Mm hmm, I will go ahead and READU because I adn't talked about it.
Speaker 1: My other boost is my condo is just about done.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: So I bought it January.
Speaker 3: I think I think I closed January February of last year, so it's been basically like a year. But I closed on it and then I rented it back to the owners for a few months and then renovations started. But I would say renovations have taken about a year, in large part because I was dragging my feet. I wasn't ready to like, you know, make the move. But now like it looks really beautiful. I literally just took my cleaning lady Ingrid there yesterday and you know she's going to clean it beautifully either this week or next week. I'm not going to move in this month because I go to South Africa May first, to like the twentieth.
Speaker 2: So I'm not going to move in this month because this month is really tight.
Speaker 3: I'm traveling this week to South Carolina and Florida, and then also like two weeks later, I'm actually getting an award with Hallmark. You know, Mahogany is Hallmark's like black brown brand, you know, like cards and stuff.
Speaker 2: I did not know that, but that's awesome.
Speaker 3: So Hallmark is honoring me their Mahogany. I don't know child with the name of the awarders after fly Toy Atlanta for I just know that. So that's happening. So because of all that's happening, I was like, honestly, I want to go my designer Rihanna. Shout out to Rihanna when I come back, because I bought most of the furniture. Its already in the house. She's going to like stage it for me, so it'll be like largely probably.
Speaker 2: Like eighty percent. I know it's like to come back to South Africa. I know, says that happened over eleven months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm just really excited, like I you know, I wasn't as excited before, you know, just moving out of like my house that I built with Jirell.
Speaker 2: But you know, one the house is still here.
Speaker 3: It's not going anywhere. The kids, my sister and her two kids will live here, which is great.
Speaker 1: They're all excited. A million keeps asking me, when are you moving to the condown.
Speaker 2: She's she's been in there measuring just like it's just like the colors here.
Speaker 3: They already turned the man cave into the kids cave, so they're already living their best life. Whenever they come over, they barely say hello. They're like whatever, girl going off.
Speaker 2: Down to would love that stroke light It did way there. So yeah, so I just like, you know, but I'm ready for it now.
Speaker 3: So that's my little boost that, like, you know, life is moving on and wonderfully for you. Yes, so I definitely have my housewarming. Of course, I'm you're invited. I don't know when. Yeah, but I don't know. I'm trying to decide to do like birthday party slash housewarming that won't be until like October.
Speaker 2: Girl, Yeah, so I might do that. You know that we can have everybody over, you know, so you can do a housewarming any old time. Exactly, exactly. That's a little very exciting. Thank you. That's a big boost. Yeah, it's a big it's a big journey. Some pictures. Can you send some pictures? Yes, I can, because it was very There was a lot of personality in there before but not yours.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was very thank Betsy Johnson for those of you who weren't familiar.
Speaker 2: So it's like, you know, she was the woman who lived there, Charlene before miss Charlene.
Speaker 3: She was a textile trader, so she traveled all around the world finding like beautiful textiles, which was evident because the textures, the colors that it was very bright. It's a beautiful place, and to her taste, it was definitely very beautiful. You could tell this is a woman with great taste, but her taste was very Betty Johnson color color color, Mitch Matt's prints so that is not me.
Speaker 2: I'm a little more subdued.
Speaker 3: Although there is color, just more like earth tones, and it's just really calm and really beautiful.
Speaker 2: So excited. Oh, I know, I was taking a little breath because I was just like reading a little bit about my break. I think I want to get ready for it. Okay, we ready for your break. That's okay, go ahead, Uh yeah, okay. So I last week was Black Maternal Health Week in America. And I don't have to tell like our audience, I know that you guys have heard these stories of the Kansas City Chiefs cheerleader who died most recently from sepsis, which is like blood infection, after delivering a steelborn baby girl. And she was only forty years old. That's extremely tragic. This has almost been a year since Tory Bowie. Tory Bowie, an Olympic sprinter, was found dead while she was in labor. So we know we've heard these stories. But what I wanted to highlight is two black women who are doing something about it. Yes, So Elaine Walter Roth love her semi idolized just a little bit, and Serena Williams have come together to create Birth Fund and I'm gonna tell you guys about it. And Serena Williams, you remember she had a whole documentary on her childbirth story, probably not even expecting to be documenting her own example of just the way that black female bodies are looked at, you know, an underestimated, under understan, under understood, and not treated the way that they should be when it comes to childbirth, because she almost died in her own childbirth. And Elaine Walter has talked about how, you know, she has a little boy and how it changed her whole approach to having a kid. She went and got a doula, and basically that is what birth Fund is going to help with. It's going to hold on a second do to do? Okay? Sorry, yeah, so I wanted to be sure I said it right. So Birth Fund it's going to be help. It's a it's a nonprofit that's going to help basically give access to quality care and life saving education to women women of color. So that'll include like doulas, it could be what do you call it, not a doula, but like a what's the other wife? Midwife? Thank you, access to those so that they can have the additional care and additional eyes on the mom at all time. And I just thought that that was wonderful. So if you guys want to check that out, it's called birth Fund, and we'll post a link to the show notes. But from two women who are using their platform for good, I just think that that's love. That finally something that we can say in the conversation about black maternal health, not just that it's happening, but that this is like, to me, this is an argument for like black and brown wealth. Right.
Speaker 3: I remember feeling guilty about making money because I was like, I have enough, I have enough, I have enough, And I remember one of my mentors said, Okay, then just use the part that you have for yourself and then the excess you use it to help causes that otherwise would not be highlighted unless a black woman stood up and said so you know, and I thought, like, okay, that like Serena Williams. I don't know if you saw Mandy she there was like this post about like she has. You know, she's a venture capitalist. She funds different companies and of forty two companies or something that she's funded, eighteen are unicorns, which means they're worth over a billion dollars. So I'll just say, you know, if I was a Betan woman, I bet al Serena And so right, does she need this level of wealth?
Speaker 2: No for herself personally, No.
Speaker 3: But what you see is is that at that level of wealth, of access, of prestige, if you will, that she gets to have a big voice in something like this because who else is going to do something and champion you know, black internal health but black moms. I mean not to say no one, but who I mean. It's coming from a place of this was me, you know what I mean. Like I think to myself all the time, like for like this the most deadly blood disease that children die from, sickle cell, but it overwhelmingly affects black and brown children, but especially black children. And there's been no major advancements in like in the last thirty years, although I think my sister will telling me there is something that I've got a family member of sickle cell, And I'm just like, why has there not been any major advancements because it doesn't affect the quote unquote larger population, although it's the number one killer of blood disease of children children, And so I thought, well, someone is going to have to have a say, and it has to be a big voice. And one of those ways, one of the ways to have access to that big voice is when we grow well for ourselves, because we will champion things that other communities might not even think of. Sometimes it's not even it's benign neglect, you know. So I love that they're using their voice, their funds, their access, their network, you know, to highlight this.
Speaker 2: I love that, Yes, birth thebirthfund dot Com. We're gonna put a link in. That's incredible. And I can't wait to hear about whatever work you're doing with for sickle cell, because it is it's not surprising, but it's a fallow that, you know, babies are still being afflicted with the disease, which I'm sure we could cure, you know, if we just put more money behind it.
Speaker 3: We are before we jump off, you know, we always begging, honey.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of the term dry bagging?
Speaker 2: Dry begging? Yeah? No, I don't know do.
Speaker 3: I used to say it, And I'm like, is it that a Drell saying or is that like, you know, like hood vernacular.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. Do anybody knows what dry baging? No? I don't know what it means, because sometimes I.
Speaker 3: Would hear people say, oh, they dry bagging, and I'm like, what is dry bagging?
Speaker 2: Like, you don't have anything to offer? I'm gonna google it, girl.
Speaker 3: Well, it's opposed to wet begging. Anyway, anybody knows, anybody knows okay, got something?
Speaker 2: Of course, it's on there. What doesn't mean okay? What is okay? So there's a couple of definitions. Should read the Facebook one is on top, but I don't know if I trust Facebook. But let's see, it refers to indirect requests. So if you're asking for in an indirect or roundabout way, oh my, oh real, it's the king of this. The way that we were hanging out with a little girl next street during the solo her Eclips. We were invited to go across the street to our neighbor's house. There's an eight year old girl. She's got like oreos chips, a hoy, she got a whole snack, you know whatever. For real. Of course is like bline for these days. But all he does instead of is asking can I have a cookie? He's like, hey, Mama, did you know I always loved chocolate chip cookie? Kay? Drop Bagon. Mama, did you know I always love gummy bales? Okay that's the girl for Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's drive it. Okay drop Bagon. Okay, so anyway, we're not drive Bagon. We wet Megan, go ahead and leave us up review. We're moist, begging.
Speaker 2: It worse, say something different.
Speaker 3: We are going to ask you to leave us a review wherever you listen to the podcast, especially if you listen via Apple. It's not iTunes on more Apple Podcast. I guess right. We want to read them out loud. Mandy has some reviews she's gonna read. Leave us a review, share the show, Mandy, you're up what reviews you want to read this week? Uh?
Speaker 2: We are going to wait one moment. Can you too get chartable up? Deep boo? Well, shout out to us. We hit two thousand, four hundred and fifty. Enrique, No, I'm doing the podcast, so I'll call you back. All right, Okay, we have two new reviews to read. Thank you to Michelle xx ninety two, who said ten out of ten. I love the show and the energy you both bring to the table. I've learned so much. Please continue to do what you're doing. See thank you me. She's sweet, simple to the point. That's perfectly fine, but you can also like go all in as a listener whose name is Ashte zero zer zero one one, who clearly was like, I left the long review now I'm just gonna like attack the keyboard and not give you my real name. But her review is five stars, girl Boss Gang. She says, I've listen to this podcast over the years and it's been so enjoyable hearing women who are further in life than me share their experiences, ups and downs, perspectives, and wins over challenges. This podcast is a breath of fresh air week after week, even the non finance related parts, it all just works. Definitely listen if you're trying to achieve anything in life while remaining integral and balanced, especially as a woman. It's inspirational and encouraging to hear these two ladies experiences and advice week by week. I love so sweet and thoughtful. I'm so sweet. So you guys, we read every single one of these reviews with that. By we mean Mandy Well, yes, I'm always here. It's a dark log, detarnable. Honey. You know you're capable, see you you treat me like I treat my husband when it comes to like, but only you know how to tank the carboil and break it down. I'm just gonna leave it out on the deck, just open the back door and just throw it out there. And he's like, you know you could. I'm like, no, you do it better. Yeah, it's okay. I'll be your work husband. It's all right. You bring so much else to the show, you know what I mean. Thank you guys so much. These reviews are everything. Please leave one. You can leave it on Apple podcasts, even Spotify I think hasn't, but Apple podcast is where it's at. Okay, and while you're at it, share the show with a friend. Make sure you let them know to also check it out. Because we've only gone eight years strong because of y'all. Be a fan, and you wouldn't be here without you. Yeah, we love you. Maybe we would just be hanging out talking.
Speaker 3: But but we'll say Friday, don't worry because we have our BAQA Friday and we've been doing throwbacks on Monday, so you get Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
Speaker 2: I mean, it doesn't get better than that. So absolutely, bye, y'all, y y'all,