Speaker 1: It's nine o Gene Engine with Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling. Welcome, Welcome to season seven.
Speaker 2: Did you ever think we'd be around this long? We did, I mean the first time I now.
Speaker 1: This, but neither. I don't think Alvira around this long ever.
Speaker 3: Again, we really needed season seven, like we needed freshness as we needed Like six was amazing. I love six, but it dragged. It started to drag. Well, it was so freaking long.
Speaker 1: Thirty three episodes is too long for one season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we're ready for new but I guess everything then people had more patience or didn't have anything else to do.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think they were excited for it to be a week because yeah, I think people back then were like, yeah, they get to watch it every week. They were happy, they were happy.
Speaker 2: The simpler time will drags a little bit.
Speaker 1: Simpler times dragsically drags. This episode was again a few different episodes, yes, connective tissue.
Speaker 2: Very different shows all in one. A lot of backstory of what happened this se I know he did this summer.
Speaker 1: We always had to do that, like kind of like wrap up the summer, so everybody caught up with it.
Speaker 3: I was fine with that, Tonally, Tonally, if I'm going to use a fancy word. The storylines were so different because you're dealing with Brandon's storyline that is quite serious, and then the sort of three's company episode that was Steve and and Claire. Yeah but I like that, which was Donna.
Speaker 1: Okay, can we just start there's just Season seven, Episode one, Remember the Alamo, aired August twenty first, nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 2: Synopsis. Season seven kicks off with a geographically challenged friend group Steve Steve ditches is let me start all that over? Synopsis. Season seven kicks off with a geographically challenged friend group. Steve ditches his buddy Brandon in Texas. Claire comes back from Switzerland but has to San Antonio, while Steve is Strandon Houston. Meanwhile, Brandon meets a local librarian with big city dreams. Donna and David are learning never to mix business with pleasure. Valerie meets a sexy CPA and a billy Idle want to be named Taz wants Kelly to keep him company.
Speaker 1: Directed by James Widmore Junior, written by Larry Mullin.
Speaker 3: Where to begin? Where to even begin?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 3: Well, look, I don't know either. I.
Speaker 2: I would like to announce to both of you right now that I will no longer be watching this show. Remember when I couldn't watch myself, but then as an apoint, I was very excited and I was like, I've accepted myself. Now I feel more confident. I can watch myself with this new hair color and do I am no longer watching myself.
Speaker 3: You can't do it.
Speaker 2: I'm out better, Tori.
Speaker 3: Your hair got better when it was straight. When you straightened it, I'm in the middle of Okay.
Speaker 1: First of all, your hair is brown, like a mousey brown. I've never seen on you again.
Speaker 2: So the back story of the page boycut. How Jen and I always talk about we never took a vacation. When we had time off, we did movies. So we had our summer break. I did a TV movie, Mother My Sleep with Danger, and then I was very excited to do my first feature film and it was called House of Yes, and I had to be like a Midwest girl and they wanted her very like plain, plain Jane, So they dyed my hair and then I went right back into this should have gone back?
Speaker 3: Which TV movie was it? It was a big one.
Speaker 2: Mother Might Sleep with Danger and then House of Yes was movie.
Speaker 3: Who was in Mother May Sleep with Danger? That was like a big one, right that?
Speaker 2: It was a big one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was the biggest one I think you did since you did the one Cheerleader one.
Speaker 1: Yes, Who was the mother? Who was the mother when you're saying.
Speaker 2: Mother bains and she passed away this past year two?
Speaker 3: I know Ivan Serge was in that one too, a young Ivan.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of new players in this episode. We we have to. We have a cameo Lora Gaines as the as the singer songwriter and the blues guitarist.
Speaker 3: James Francco was in it.
Speaker 2: James Franco, we're talking about your movie, not the show.
Speaker 3: Got it? Okay?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 2: He did the remake, the routing, the reimagining for a lifetime that I then played the last time.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh got it? I gotta got it? Okay, I so sorry. Keep go back to nine to two on now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, uh, Roy Gaines was in it, made a cameo. He just passed.
Speaker 3: Away to Roy Gains blues.
Speaker 1: Guitar, singer songwriter.
Speaker 3: That was cool, really cool, it says.
Speaker 1: The accountant was played by actors singer Joseph Geon, who was best known for playing Detective Tom Ryan in nots Landing No Way.
Speaker 2: He was super hot, but I have a whole flag where I recognized him from I couldn't.
Speaker 1: It says he's gonna be here for nine episodes.
Speaker 2: You guys, I remember, this character is sticking around, and I feel like he turns out something bad.
Speaker 3: Bad, there's nothing good. Super hot and charming, but yet he's okay, he's super hot and charming, but it's so great, like what's the word swarmie? Ye? Icky?
Speaker 1: He made me feel icky.
Speaker 3: Me too, because first of all, it's so appropriate, like you were so attractive or whatever.
Speaker 2: When Valerie walks in the Jim Walsh didn't tell him that.
Speaker 3: Jim Walsh referred you this business, yes, and it seems like a no go to flirt with the client.
Speaker 1: I don't think he has any screuples.
Speaker 3: It's so creepy. It's really creepy.
Speaker 1: He's scrupulous, although.
Speaker 3: He's hot, And if Jim Walsh hadn't referred him, it was still aggressive, like right off the bat, I mean, I get it. Maybe well Jim referral.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's shook. Yeah, we also have Mariah, who was played by actress Maya Campbell, best known for her role in a sitcom in the House.
Speaker 3: She was great. I love him, It's really great.
Speaker 1: And Taz was played by Randall Slaven, a famous photographer who also did small roles in TV shows.
Speaker 2: Now I remember him, you do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a friend of mine.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was gonna say, he's photographed us.
Speaker 3: He's a really great photographer. Amazing. Okay, wait, Billie Idle guy is still your friend. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a big la photographer.
Speaker 3: He loves to shoot.
Speaker 1: He's shot all millions of actors and actresses, a list people. But he loves to shoot hot models too. So it all works with this character.
Speaker 3: All really worked for him. So can I throw a crazy theory out there? Oh?
Speaker 2: Wait? Can I ask me? I know, I'm real quick while we're just while we're on this topic, I don't. She doesn't seem credited here, But did I see Jason Bateman's wife.
Speaker 3: Amanda Anka and living in this season? Though she comes, she comes for more episodes. You're kidding me?
Speaker 1: Amanda Anka is in this show?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, our show. She does multiple episodes.
Speaker 2: One line in this episode, but killing me right now.
Speaker 3: I know her. Our kids are friends.
Speaker 1: They've gone to school together since they were in kindergarten, and so I would see her all the time at school and never, ever, ever, ever made the connection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she does a bunch of episodes. I think she does like five. I'm looking it up five or six.
Speaker 1: I am I am a terrible memory person.
Speaker 2: She plays Barber on the show.
Speaker 3: Either she plays Barbara. She's definitely in Remember the Alamo, but I think she's in more. I just don't know for sure. Maybe people can check that, but I think she does a few more. Well should we start where was she the first scene? Was she in.
Speaker 2: On the beach during the video?
Speaker 3: She was in the video?
Speaker 2: No, it was like behind the scenes. She came up and talked to David and Donna.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I think she does a couple more.
Speaker 1: I didn't clock her.
Speaker 2: Sorry, theory.
Speaker 3: My theory, and I don't know if people will agree or not. But so you know how I always say the show jumped the shark. Yes, we are aware. I just don't love when I say that. I think there's a possibility that watching it now, it jumps the shark less Like I'm sort of enjoying the later seasons. Dare I say, now with these eyes than when I was young, I find that early early seasons to be a little bit more boring.
Speaker 2: Now that's under later seasons, and that can happen. Have you ever watched a movie you loved, like, like, for instance, I'll take movies from the eighties or something that were everything to me and watch it now with my kids and I'm like, oh boy, little slow, Like so it can go both ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, I think because it gets so over the top, it's kind of more of an enjoyable watch. Like this episode for me jammed, Like I loved it. It jammed. It was ridiculous in parts, but I'm like, I, I'm enjoying the whole thing. This is great.
Speaker 1: I think people really wanted to say the show jumped the Shark because Shannon wasn't there, Luke wasn't there. Now, Brandon's leaving soon, isn't he.
Speaker 3: End of this year?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: End of the season seven? I feel like people wanted to make that the narrative, but.
Speaker 3: I don't know that the show ever did.
Speaker 2: I'm really yeah, and deliver back in time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we only have we must be the Shark season eight has no Brandon and no Luke or no Dylan. But then Doc, I can see that eight maybe was a rough one, but then otherwise it kind.
Speaker 1: Of well, we'll see. But this is episode one, you guys. Okay, let's talk about the There are how many storylines?
Speaker 3: One, two, three, four? There's kind of four, there's four?
Speaker 1: What should we start with? What do you want to start with?
Speaker 3: Claire? Claire? Okay, you got it? She looked great, looked great.
Speaker 1: Claire tears heart for three Yeah, they've been apart for three weeks, so they decide to surprise each other but end up on opposite and they end up in opposite states.
Speaker 3: It's sort of a take on that, like do you guys know that story? Like something of the Magi She sells her books to buy him something, and then he sells her something to buy her a bookmark. It's something like that, like the lock of hair and yeah, yeah, it was cute. We're kind some of the shot.
Speaker 1: In her little dress with the suitcase when they found it.
Speaker 3: Was just very campy. So like, first of all, Steve's naked, Can we talk about that? I always love that in the shower and then when he comes out, remember he like his naked just holds something over his private so cute.
Speaker 1: He loved to be naked.
Speaker 2: Got mom died.
Speaker 1: He did you notice too, Like he came out he had it Santa Beard with the foam and then he came out of the shower and they were like, oh, he.
Speaker 3: Had foam in his ears. We still have that in the bedroom. So then when they're out of the.
Speaker 1: Bathroom and it's like clearly later in the day and they're filming that scene with him and val in the bed. Yeah, it's so obvious that they were like, put some here and put them here and make it and then one shot it wasn't there.
Speaker 3: One shot it was there.
Speaker 1: It made me laugh.
Speaker 3: I think it was a little nuts that she that Valerie like runs into the bathroom and he's in the shower. But I mean, I guess she was super excited to see him. She's super excited.
Speaker 2: She's super lonely, so lonely, she's hitting the weed again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait to talk about her, right, but so long? So did you guys find it? You know, they go to the airport and they're both on the pay phones right there, but they don't see each other. And this happens, and this happens, and they left it, and then.
Speaker 1: I felt like I was watching Harry like a Harry met Sally kind of rum come.
Speaker 2: So I liked that, and I didn't feel like it was I mean, it shouldn't be Zany, but we've had Zanier the little Zany.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love when he was running though you guys and leaping over people.
Speaker 3: It's like a dream sequence.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 3: I liked that it was a little Three's Company for me, misunderstanding missing each other.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I don't see how that could even be a problem like that.
Speaker 3: If it was Three's Company, you'd be like, ten, Yeah, best show ever.
Speaker 2: Hello, And you're like, oh, did Jason direct this one? This was like three Stooges. You're like, didn't you all like that? And now this you're not into She didn't say.
Speaker 3: I'm not into it. I'm just saying Tonally. For me, it was very like, there's just a lot of different it's like so many different things happening that he pulled this on us all the time.
Speaker 2: Though, Yeah, I'm not mad at it.
Speaker 3: I'm just calling it out. I'm not mad at it.
Speaker 1: I'm just acknowledging it fair well, anyway, they get a hotel room somewhere in Texas and they're good to go.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you know the iron at it this line, you know what it is?
Speaker 3: Stress up day? How many times did you hear that?
Speaker 1: When you He got to get into that.
Speaker 3: But here's what I was confused about. He goes home, she flies to Texas. He gets back to Texas, but thinks she's now flown home. Where were they Texas?
Speaker 1: They were in Texas.
Speaker 3: They were in Texas.
Speaker 2: She was in Houston and he was in San Antonio. Different.
Speaker 3: No, they were both in the same They somehow ended up.
Speaker 2: Eventually, but she was confused Houston.
Speaker 3: It was super confusing. It was so he ended up being on two flights. She ended up being on the flight there and couldn't get back.
Speaker 1: And got stuck there.
Speaker 2: Choices this season, I'm crazy like the open shirt.
Speaker 3: I like the white shirt.
Speaker 2: Okay with that. It was the opening shot with him and Jason, Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that it was. He was on a road trip though, like the top Atlanta Atlas were ball.
Speaker 2: Huggers, like they were. I was like, oh, I painted on long shorts.
Speaker 3: It was interesting how they had to mention multiple times the Olympics. He's got the Atlanta because it was nineteen ninety six, so it was the Atlanta Olympics. And then there's another mention of the Olympics, like there's a couple real with a like Olympics mentions. I mean, fine, we don't.
Speaker 1: I don't have no idea why. Okay, let's talk about Valerie and that handsome CPA recommended by Jim Walsh.
Speaker 3: First, can we talk about her kind of weirdly a blirting with Brandon on the phone, like I missed you come home and he's like, are you playing the bills? And then she's smoke in the pot and she's so, you know, debrassed or whatever. I don't feel like she was.
Speaker 1: Flirting with him. I just feel like, oh, those.
Speaker 2: Cousins, if you know what I mean, wink weink kissing cousins. I know, like part of me kind of when she like ran to that bathroom, wanted it to be branded, they just start making it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, no, I know, I know the nail salon scene when you're all at the nail salon and then you at.
Speaker 2: The salon, why does she show up?
Speaker 3: First of all, why did she show up? And also when she says, I'll just see who you date next, and then I'll date them.
Speaker 2: That was my favorite line of the episode, though.
Speaker 1: It's always fun when those two are sparring like that.
Speaker 3: Oh have you guys gone to a nail salon before? That seemed like there's not going to be a new I was like.
Speaker 1: Us, Yeah, I don't mean that was a one and done kind of situation.
Speaker 3: It's like, I wouldn't mind all.
Speaker 1: The nail salons and all love Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: You're all three at the same joint. Yeah, I wouldn't have minded if there was sort of a peach pit version of a nail salon, because we.
Speaker 2: Can sort of been a good thing to start.
Speaker 3: It's been a good trope, you know, like kind of gossip beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would have been a good Yeah, it doesn't happen good Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this guy that he who is he played by? Again?
Speaker 1: What's this actor's name?
Speaker 3: He's from not Landing m hm.
Speaker 2: So you think he worked with Joe Geon he was something else after this?
Speaker 1: Correct as Ken? No, sorry, Kenny Kenny, call me Kenny.
Speaker 2: Ken and Barbie reference very ahead of its time, just because I feel like during the nineties Barbie wasn't really in and now it's having like a.
Speaker 3: Research so it's like rewatching it. It's like, oh, I totally had a had a thought on that that it was like, oh, really ahead of its time. The whole show is ahead of its time and yet very in its time. That's why new take on it. Very ahead of its time with a lot of the things that addresses, and then yet with the weird overtly sexual stuff, so in its time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, appropriate comments and sexualization of Yes, yes, I mean he's right out the game, very familiar with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like, you're hot, basically right when she walks in. But she loves that she's in too. I mean she's so in. I feel like he's got game. He's got pretty good game. It's just weird that he's totally going for like his partner's kid basically.
Speaker 1: So, I'm sorry, but did you guys notice the picture of him and his family as he picks up the phone?
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, so I was about to Okay, I don't want to spoil go say it. He's married, he has a whole family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I know that too.
Speaker 1: I thought like it's foreshadowing, I guess, But Yeah, he made.
Speaker 3: It pretty obvious. I was looking for the photo and I couldn't because I kind of knew, but I couldn't find it. So maybe we can screenshot where the photo is because I was trying to see it and then I couldn't find it. So wasn't super aggressively showing it just like a keen eye. Yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Amy, You gotta have a keen eye on the show.
Speaker 3: Gotta see all a little easter eggs. It's a good easter egg. It's actually was subtle for nine O two one, oh, which I'm pleased that's true. For one. Yeah, tends to like really try to put it in your face, and this was subtle. Well.
Speaker 2: He was also a singer in real singer. I'm looking him up, Joseph Geon. He's sixty one years sixty three years old.
Speaker 1: Now you know who he reminds me of. He reminded me of the guy that Brooke Burke used to be married to, David David Jarvey. Yeah, I thought that was David Charvey.
Speaker 3: I liked everything about his face. His hair was a little bit nineties for me. It was just a little bit weird hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has like all these songs.
Speaker 3: You guys, he is a singer and.
Speaker 2: Now here I am val was too so flirty with him too. She's like that with everyone. She can't control herself. It's how she sells herself. Even though she's very smart.
Speaker 1: She uses her feminine wiles to make it happen. And I don't have a problem with that. I'm sorry, like men have been doing it for a million years and let her do her thing.
Speaker 3: Completely fine with the whole thing, except for the Jim part. That's the part where I'm like, that seems weird, right, Yeah, it seems like he's about to get fired. It seems like I'm good with it if he was not, Like say, she just hired a random CPA and he wants to be flirty. Fine, and he's married and he's still doing it and she's going for it. Fine. It's that Jim is the big wig partner. Okay, so let's wait, let's ask her. I'm true, that is it's weird.
Speaker 2: So we don't know what's coming up. You might it's Jim because you could have done it without the gym reference mentioned at all. We could have it could have been. Yeah, So is there a reason is that the way. She finds out later on that he is a family from Jim I'm I don't remember, Okay, then yeah, so they creeped us out for nothing.
Speaker 3: Then have a bridge too far for me? Like if somebody, like say, in my world, was like, can you help my son with a job or whatever? And then I flirt with him. It's weird.
Speaker 2: Well, he's married anywhere with the family should have been doing it, so he has no morals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're young and hot and not on a TV show, so why not? Yeah, well, can we please talk about uh? When they go to the Alamo please? I love the storyline. I love this town. So they show this apparently in Piru, California.
Speaker 3: Where is that?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, where's Piru?
Speaker 1: Piru is north, maybe by above Santa Clarida.
Speaker 3: In guessing.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, I'm not too good with that. But it sounds because there's a lake Piru up there, a small lake. Okay, so I'm thinking it's a little north.
Speaker 3: It did.
Speaker 2: It's all great.
Speaker 3: It did look greating me too, But what what this?
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is nineteen ninety six and this is how what's happening? But that this wasn't supposed to be in California. This was in Texas, so right, this is what they're spens at that time in Texas, this kind and it looks.
Speaker 3: Like California pretending to be Texas. It's an interesting there's there's two things that are addressed, because there is a definite like homophobe storyline too with this. Yeah, right out the gate, it's your hit in the face and you're like, whoa, this is serious. It's hard to sort of know if that was how that how it was then or because the writers are a little older, are they writing about do you know what I'm saying? Yes, are they writing about it? Because I feel like it was so prevalent as they were coming up.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's prevalent today.
Speaker 3: This is yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, we live in Los Angeles. We are much you know, we think differently, and our city is much wired so much differently. But I think this is going on in small towns around our great United States of America still to this day.
Speaker 2: Sure, my dad was from Dallas, Texas, and he would always not that this is related, but I'm sure it came up as they were writing the storyline, I'm sure, and he would talk all the time how in Texas growing up, they were so anti Semitic and it was very hard for him as a young Jewish boy, and how it was very racist everywhere in homophobic. So I wonder that was instrumental, and wish asked Larry Mullen.
Speaker 3: It seems that to have the conversation that we're having, they had to make it a bit more. I know, I used this word already in this podcast overt right, they really had to because we only have forty four minutes, right, and this storyline is probably only let's say sixteen of those forty four minutes, so they it feels a bit heavy handed. Yeah, yeah, heavy handed, that's the right word. But I get why, because they really wanted to address this and they have to do it quickly. So that's why, right out the gate you get that line, and you get Brandon's sort of very aggressive comeback, yeah, kind of basically shutting down these guys. And then you, I mean, they because they.
Speaker 4: Are overurntly racist, and so it's like, I guess it's because we have only sixteen minutes to truly address it, and it is tied up in a very pretty bow way too quickly too.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, But I'm going to leave this town and head to New York City where this doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm so excited she's leaving Hadley City though. Yeah, it sounds like this is like something that this kind of treatment and this kind of environment has become the normal and okay for her.
Speaker 3: Well, and aren't we to understand that the librarian, so this was my interpretive.
Speaker 1: Face, she's a professional pinchy face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that way was like an expert, So I understood. The way I interpreted it is that the librarian cuts her off not because she's flirting, but because she's flirting with a white guy. And you're like, right out of the gate, like, oh so it's not just these two bozo's at the mechanic shop, but it's also the librarian and it's also her boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm he's racist as well.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, so it's very it's very You were hitting the face with it a lot of times, but it was.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like no saying like overtly like with the dialogue about the storyline, I felt like in this particular storyline, the wardrobe spoke to that as well, like a little over in your face, exactly who the people were correct very do you know what I mean? Stereotypical wardrobe beyond and it was.
Speaker 3: Like, okay, what was it? This like the part that I found very compelling and intentional that I actually really thought, oh, now that was an interesting choice. Is that junior, who was extraordinarily inappropriate racist the father was not. And they addressed it and they say, oh, skips a generation like that was like where I'm like, WHOA interesting that this son of the guy who you know is the town mechanic that seemed his dad.
Speaker 1: Actually probably set him straight though correct, especially if he's one of his employees at the garage.
Speaker 3: And they and we get it in the blues bar too, where it was like whoa they really again? It was very in your face it was, and it's almost like for sure, yeah, and it seems like okay, I'm not sure. I'm not sure it was written portrays quite as maybe.
Speaker 1: It almost felt like it was like I was watching an episode of Happy Days meets what other episode? I can't think of one other show, but it felt like a mixture of like old timey TV shows that it did. It really did Little House on the Prairie meets Yeah, Happy Days meets those two guys with the car.
Speaker 3: What would Howard? What was his first? But were we played America Opie? Yeah, oh Andy Griffiths show. It felt Yeah, it felt very I like that you're calling it sort of sit calmy, because you go, we're going to address the biggest problem in society and we're going to really shove it down your throat in both directions. All good, it's all good, and here's the big kiss in your face and off she good and it's just like, oh she was so we just saw racism in seventeen minutes.
Speaker 1: I really wanted them to become a couple. They were cute together.
Speaker 3: I know, did she come back of her I don't think so. But do you know why I liked her because she was so underplaying it and everything else was so over the top in it, and she was so like a She had a beautiful subtlety to her.
Speaker 2: And Jason Priestley is very hot and looks I was just about to say season seven, Oh he starts real strong, he's he looks great.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 1: I can't do it because I don't have pick jeans on right now. But like when he walks, he's got one hand here in his back pocket and hand hair in his front pocket. Did you see he does so cute?
Speaker 3: They do. Let y'all wear sunglasses now remember how in the early season.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no sunglasses, but now we.
Speaker 3: Definitely get sunglasses.
Speaker 1: Okay, can we talk now about Donna and David please?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Why do we start it off? So? Why is he so aggressive? Because he's back to get.
Speaker 2: I know why, he's back to getting no sex?
Speaker 1: See right, he's angry, he's comfortable.
Speaker 3: Wait, it's too much for me. He's not going to act like that.
Speaker 1: He treats you like that and you let him for a while, and I was like, stop being so nice and like sweet to him.
Speaker 3: He doesn't deserve it.
Speaker 2: It kind of bummed me out that we didn't see We go from seeing them, Oh yeah, they're back together, and then they're like this old married couple and he's really angry and aggressive towards her, and I was just like, thank you, we don't see any of the like I want to see them reuniting and finding like love again.
Speaker 3: That I just do not think.
Speaker 2: In the second episode, David is too too aggressive.
Speaker 3: It doesn't track. He's not going to be like that.
Speaker 2: So I don't know why when he was on drugs, but he's not on dust.
Speaker 1: I felt like he might be on drugs again, like that was how he was acting. He's very angry, angry, and you're very like I'll take it. I'll take being treated by him again so easily.
Speaker 3: And then she says, why did they do this?
Speaker 2: Why did they do this so fast? And like episode one, I don't know, Well, i'd be angry too if my girlfriend had brown poop hair and looked like a poodle. So you know what, that's why he's aggressive.
Speaker 3: I think he's too okay, So they kind of show us this in his character when he is on the drugs, Like it does very reminiscent of that. And also like when he was in the limo with you know, the record label lady, it kind of reminded me of sort of that behavior.
Speaker 2: But I also was like, like defensive, David, we've gotten to now, like they're kind of like reverting back, and it's like.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, he's so stressed about the job, and it's like, dude, you're adultlage. Yeah it's going and he's laid back.
Speaker 2: That's not it's not it's uncharacteristic. It's not I'm surprised at this point in the game season seven that I feel like we had more freedom, right Jen, like we could speak up if we.
Speaker 3: Ish.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, ish. I don't know, Like, I'm surprised the brand wasn't like, hey, wait, that just feels too much too soon.
Speaker 3: We don't know where it's going, so maybe it's where's.
Speaker 2: It going somewhere again with another Oh maybe Indian drugs again, Amy, where's it going?
Speaker 3: I actually don't totally remember all of it yet. He just is mean. I didn't like it because it doesn't feel like David to me. I'm like, I don't think that that's what he's going to do right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like there's got to be a reason for him acting like this.
Speaker 3: We saw dabbles of it at the end of season six when you guys were working together, so it's like, but definitely.
Speaker 2: Donna's trigger word since season one is stupid. Stupid, Like she like just like goes Hulk, like she can you can do just stupid. You can do anything, but don't call her stupid.
Speaker 1: Shure down the stairs, that's okay, but just don't call her stupid.
Speaker 3: He was pretty tough in the end though I was like happy about the Oh yeah, that whole thing. Oh my god, what about Jazz?
Speaker 1: He was funny, he's sleeping, you let him sleep in your bed. Also, that's disgusting, you're gross. Yeah, no, you're gonna have to wash that whole situation.
Speaker 3: Him with the two twins. I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's rather video time with the twins. Then he would talk to somebody who's going to volunteer at the age center.
Speaker 3: Definitely foreshadowing or I don't even know if it's foreshadowing. This is where nine was so like, again over, sorry to keep using the same word. They're really gonna let us know that you're gonna go work at the care center, the aid's hospice. Even if I think they say no, it's like they're really telling us about.
Speaker 2: That, because what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: I think I'm not going to tell you. Kelly goes to work there, that's all I know. And the guy from Blossom I think works there too, joe older brother from Blossom, Blossom. I think it's the old No, not David Lasher, not Joey Lawrence, the other guy from Blossom, the older brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he looks a little bit how Donnie Wahlberg looked in the sixth sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got, I got.
Speaker 3: No, you might be and he has HIV. This is a whole storyline. Do they date? We shall see. So it's Michael Stoyanov. Yes, I'm pretty sure Michael Stoyanov works at the thing. No, you guys don't remember? Am I making this up? I think you get somehow? You get exposed? What am I making this up? Did you watch it? Had dreams? Wait?
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, don't tell you.
Speaker 3: Did you watch ahead? No, I'm just remembering.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're good.
Speaker 3: I'm trying, am I. But it's splotchy and I could be totally wrong.
Speaker 2: I have gone that far.
Speaker 1: Wait a second. I read on the on the remember when I was picking the episode I was looking at for on Paramount Plus and have like the rundown of the next episode. Yes, I saw something about pricks her finger Kenny pricks her fingers?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got it right, I got it right. Yeah she cuts herself with Jimmy's Yeah, I'm right. I thought it was a needle, which is weird. It's not a needle. I don't know why I pictured it like they're sharing.
Speaker 2: I thought it meant, and I was like, Kelly Taylor's always.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, it's a there's some sort of a like incident at the at the AIDS. Okay, okay, some care center.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a question? Did you feel like the light was different in this episode or when you looked at us and how we looked on camera felt very different than how we ended last season?
Speaker 3: What I Okay?
Speaker 2: I didn't know what I was thinking, but I kept I was like, God, to my I'm sorry, I'm talking about myself, but I'm like, did my skin get even worse? Like I feel like I never saw all the.
Speaker 1: Zones shadows a lot more?
Speaker 2: Is this when.
Speaker 3: There's I feel like this changing which there were a lot of new names and sort of like as executive producers. I noticed in the opening credits, you guys got to look at those names. See if you know any of those people I'd be curious to. You don't have to right now. I bet you're right.
Speaker 2: That's exactly when the deep TP. I think we're talking about deep penetration direct your photographer.
Speaker 3: I didn't really think. I don't think one person thought that she did.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because we is that when we went from the guy with the dark hair mustache too. Yeah, what's his name?
Speaker 2: To Steve Randare, to Steve.
Speaker 1: Randolph, Randolph was the guy.
Speaker 3: First guy, to Steve Randolph, tell me what's going on? What's happening here? We're trying to talk to and so did you like, let let's just cut to the chase. Did you like this new look? Do you like?
Speaker 1: I did not care for the light.
Speaker 2: I did not. I was just harshing on myself. I thought you looked good though.
Speaker 1: I thought it was like me, and I thought Kathleen looked different. I looked different.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was as female friendly the light no, no, oh, harsh hush lighting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but maybe the style was changing, you know, like maybe.
Speaker 1: The the style of cinematography was changing and lighting a little bit at that moment. Maybe this was of the times.
Speaker 2: Well that's not good for us.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, look what happened with HD. None of this is working in our favor. Yeah, anyway, you had to sleep in your bed nuts, gross, Now you have bugs.
Speaker 3: And then he's so into Kelly. Obviously he remembers your cover teen vote that was kind of cute seventeen magazine. Sorry you were in seventeen magazine vote issue.
Speaker 1: This also happened to me recently. Guys, this is a problem I'm really seeing developing. I'm not that long ago. Was with Randall Slavin for some little tiny photo shoot thing that he did for me, and he refreshed my memory that he was on the show and forgot forgot, and I had no idea what character he played, And now I'm seeing it, and I would you would think this would stick in my mind. This is a great character, very rememborable character.
Speaker 3: But I didn't seems like you guys would remember the shoot on the beach. Nope, I do. I do that shoot.
Speaker 2: I'm the good But my question is does he stay? Is he going to be at the peach pit after dark? Like he's recurring Randall.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It does not sound familiar to me.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, that could be wrong.
Speaker 1: I know I remember hanging out with Randall after work like we became friends.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's refreshing my memory now.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and but I don't remember how long he was around. It feels like it must have been more than one.
Speaker 3: So maybe he comes back. I think it's interesting too that we didn't have any streaming issues even with all the music. I was so happy. I was like, oh, thank goodness.
Speaker 1: You think that music's got some sort of license.
Speaker 3: I feel like maybe at season seven they started to figure it out, like hey, get together music too, and it was all on streaming, or maybe they were creating music. I feel like it.
Speaker 2: That's what I think that the blues music.
Speaker 1: His lyrics were something about a girl with a book, okay, and so that played into that storyline.
Speaker 2: What about the nine o two one oh soundtrack? We went on to have many of them. Do you remember track I.
Speaker 1: Forgot about just then? Opening song?
Speaker 2: No, like, wait, can we look this up?
Speaker 3: They're working it up now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe they started to create their own to go with the soundtrack were That's what I would think smart and it definitely exists. True, another piece of the pie we probably didn't get. But you know, nope, nope.
Speaker 3: We were doing our job, they were doing their There definitely was music of Beverly Hills nine o two one, several albums, Yeah, Paula Abdul, Yeah, but it seems like it had to color me bad. But the right kind of love Jeremy Jordan, Oh love is remember Vanessa Williams and Brian McKnight. That was sort of a jam. I kind of like it, and he came on the show and maybe forever for you, Shenise, But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Only one album came out in nineteen ninety two, so that was like, oh, an, only one original cast.
Speaker 3: Is on the cover. I don't know. I'm looking at that. They put that out with other people's because you just license the music and they get a piece of it because the show is so popular. Okay, okay, you know what I mean. The show is so popular that people were like, yeah, I'll make money off that.
Speaker 1: So at the end of this whole storyline, are we to understand that Donna and David are not going to be working for Eric Budman anymore in the record label.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm wondering if they're together. I think they broke up. No, Eric got laid chills. Yeah, that's random. Assistant comes out.
Speaker 1: And then you say, basically, I'd rather be where we are and not have to worry about where we're going right now.
Speaker 2: Right And he's like in every area, and she's like, yeah, basically, So I don't want.
Speaker 3: I do appreciate. I do appreciate that they let me know Eric got fired, and that the FBI got. I got, you know, jiggered to the put.
Speaker 2: Because I was I'm like, where is he and in jail? And we didn't.
Speaker 3: They did not, they did.
Speaker 2: Didn't hear that you missed that part? You were looking up at the boom?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: And what's her name's gone?
Speaker 3: You're excusing branding kind of acknowledges. I don't know if I want to work at the paper, which I'm like, well, the girl is gone, so who cares?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'd work somewhere else.
Speaker 3: I'm that bad.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the only other one we have left is no, that's it. We've covered all storylines, you guys.
Speaker 3: We got a little of Nat and the wife, the pregnant girlfriend. She they're getting married soon. We acknowled the wedding's coming up.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but are those two guys, those two gonna really go to an after party for a video shoot on the beach at night. I'm like, they they've got to be older than I am right now, and I know that I would be staying home, Like, there's no way you could get me to go to the after party.
Speaker 2: Barely survive a two day stay on the Queen Mary, how is she up at doing that an after party?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 1: She said? She also just so weird that they were there.
Speaker 2: Didn't was there nowhere else they could put them in? Oh? I guess not? No?
Speaker 3: Who shows way too late last night? Is this the show where people dancing at the after party? Slow table dancing dance slow dancing? Gross? Who do people still slow dance?
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'd love to bring it back. I would love to bring it back, like the awkward slow dance I from side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because at least you got to like put your arm around, like being near the boy and no like pressure to like have to dance like yeah, but sometimes it.
Speaker 1: Was too a little too close body parts.
Speaker 3: I'd love to shwing. Yeah what you never have?
Speaker 2: You slow down me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna stop now. I think I'm red, Okay.
Speaker 3: Get me. Think it's such a great episode. It really is.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to.
Speaker 3: See Randon into the Mustang and drives off.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's a lot that's gonna happen with these characters this season, and I'm so here for it.
Speaker 2: You know what, I kind of want a great scene to be though. I wanted him to be like arriving home and something with him and Kelly. That was just my gut instinct.
Speaker 3: Me too. But I feel like they've got it.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be Is it gonna happen this season?
Speaker 3: This season?
Speaker 2: Will has to he leaves, Oh my god, it has to wait?
Speaker 3: How do they get together? And then he leaves? It has Yeah, he leaves, you don't remember any gosh.
Speaker 2: Oh what wait?
Speaker 3: They get to do together and then he leaves. We're not going to talk about it right now. We've got a whole season that you're gonna learn as you go. The thing that I like about this episode is that it's it's the new nine O two one oh right, Like it's new, it's the it's it's not the original original first like three four years right, right, maybe first three. But it also doesn't need all that hashtag trying too hard, right, like with the chase scene, and like the way the finale was sort of getting I'm like, I don't need all that. I just need these core characters. And I think that's what I liked about it is that it's like, I'm back to the core characters, which includes Claire and includes Valerie. I don't have this sort of extraneous things that I'm trying to deal with Colin and Susan, and I've got the core characters and I'm just following them because I'm really following you. You both Steve and Brandon, Brandon, and maybe a dabble of Valerie. But yeah, but yeah, David's with you, even though Steve's with Claire. Still got Steve, Brandon is with this new character, but I got Brandon. So it's like I've got just all core people that I actually care about the right and like they're doing. That's why I think that's why I sort of feel like, oh, I'm back in season four or five totally with you.
Speaker 1: And also I feel like this show is, like, you know what, We're going to keep on trucking. This show is bigger than any one person, and it's it's going to continue forward. And I felt like some sort of strength behind it in that respect.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's very exciting because you guys, it's only the first episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we have.
Speaker 1: What do we have next week?
Speaker 2: What's our episode?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 2: Here we go again, Here we go?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 1: What song is that?
Speaker 2: Which one?
Speaker 1: I just started to sing Jane's Got a Gun, but with the words here we go again. I don't know what's happening in my brain. You guys, I need to go.
Speaker 3: Let's wrap this up. What do you give it? What do you give it?
Speaker 2: Ten?
Speaker 3: No? Nine?
Speaker 2: I give it a nine nine, nine point five for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: The season off strong, thought.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be excited about this, but I am.
Speaker 2: I hope my hair gets better. See you next week.
Speaker 1: By Buddy