Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome back to fud Around and find out. This is Asy Fudd and I'm here with my girl, a shanty plumber a shanty. What is up?
Speaker 2: What's up? Asy? Listeners? We have a good one.
Speaker 3: It's a mailbag episode and we're going to get into all things Yukon basketball and Asy's personal life, and we may answer some burning questions that you have about me too.
Speaker 1: That's right, So I'm super excited to see what you guys want to know.
Speaker 3: Ashanti. Where are we starting? Well, let's start with a check in. The listeners want to know. How are you doing? What's up? You've been moving and shaking NonStop since like April, So how you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: I feel like being busy is all I've ever known, so like this is not really new. I feel like the whole living out of a suitcase for like weeks on end, that's a little new.
Speaker 2: But I'm good.
Speaker 1: A little tired, but nothing. You know, you can sleep in your dead like I'm not really worried about that. Other than that, Like, I'm great. I've had some really cool experiences these last few months. I've met some really amazing people. So feel like I'm just trying to really soak in every experience and every opportunity of gotten because it's easy to like look past things and look at the next thing coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so someone who's balancing like traveling and basketball and school and all these other events you have to attend.
Speaker 2: Like, what kind of advice do you have but a listeners.
Speaker 1: I guess I'd say to stay present, Like there's when you're doing so much, especially back to back to back, like it's super easy to get caught up and either what you had just done or what you're looking forward to doing next week, but really being able to stay present and enjoy what you're doing in the moment, Like right now, I'm in Minnesota with my family, so getting to enjoy this little bit of downtime I have and I only have a little bit of time with my cousin and my grandparents and being here in my favorite place, so being able to really enjoy this before I go.
Speaker 2: On to what's next in a few days. No, Yeah, that's dope.
Speaker 3: I really do appreciate the time that I do get to spend with my family. I'm out here in New York where my family doesn't even live here anymore, so I definitely understand being present where you're at, especially when.
Speaker 2: It comes to some quality time with the FAMO. So who are your non like basketball related like role models or people you look up to?
Speaker 1: I have to say my parents. I think admiring. I feel like as I've gotten older, being able to appreciate you know how hard parenting is, having three kids and them balancing everything they've been able to do for us and giving us these opportunities growing up. Obviously, like in the moment growing up, you're like, Okay, this is a normal sort of parents supposed to do, But all the sacrifices that they've given for us, I'm just super grateful for and I hope that I could be a parent like them one day.
Speaker 3: We love you, guys. We love her parents. What would you say non basketball related?
Speaker 2: I'm going to say my mom. I think that's pretty cliche, but it's the truth.
Speaker 3: She is was a single parent raising me and my brother, and so I just admire her, especially like in these New York City streets. So that's definitely someone that I look up to non basketball. Why wives, Why whyse Okay, girly, So you're about to go on a very very long trip. How are you feeling about this trip overseas to China.
Speaker 1: I'm excited. I'm a little nervous for this flight. This wasn't planned until like a little bit ago. So when I left campus, I left my iPad on campus because I was like, oh, I'm not gonna need it. I'm taking a class. All my computer. I'll do homework or read a book, listen to music, like I'm not going to be on a flight that's longer than three hours, Like I'm not really going to be bored. And I'm currently IPEd liss gonna be on like a twelve plus hour flight, and some a little nervous around this is gonna go. What's the longest flight you've been on?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: So I went to Australia. I lived there for a little bit, and so the I think it was two flights, but I don't remember how long the longest one of those two were, but I just remember it was too Australia, and I was lucky enough to have a lot of leg room, and I went to sleep for a majority of the time because I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: So you can sleep on planes, Oh absolutely, I have to.
Speaker 3: Speaking of sleep, miss girl, you are always napping all the time everywhere. And the reason why I know is because your dad literally posts on social media all the time. It's like a hidden talent of his where he's catching you knocked out, Like you can't sleep on planes is actually shocking to me because I've seen you via social media.
Speaker 1: Like everywhere I do sleep on plans, it's just like not good and my mouth is always open, so I wake up like choking because my mouth is all dry. Yeah, that's probably like my least place asleep a car nap though, oh my gosh, those hit different. But I feel like growing up in a gym, I feel like that I very quickly learned how to sleep anywhere. Like I would lay my jacket down and I'd sleep like in between the bleachers on the like with games going on in the middle of a tournament. So I feel like growing up in that environment has taught me to sleep anyway.
Speaker 3: What's the weirdest place you've ever slept? The weirdest place I've ever slept. I've definitely fallen asleep at basketball games before, like, not like a tournament, ones like real ones.
Speaker 2: Wait, real ones that you are participating.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, not like ones I'm watching, not what's not playing it.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think, Okay, that would be crazy. I cut the camera. I think.
Speaker 3: The weirdest place I've ever fell asleep, well, not really weird, but I mean, I don't know. I feel like it might be common. I fell asleep in a movie theater before. Now, movie theaters out here is like twenty five dollars just for a ticket, so I literally pay to take a nap.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I needed it, So it is what it is.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of people who do that. But if I'm paying to go see a movie, I'm not gonna fall asleep. I can't waste I feel that.
Speaker 2: But I feel like, I don't know. It's like it's nice and cold in the.
Speaker 3: Theater, and then I'm usually going with like some of my friends, some kind of like comfy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I played myself twenty five dollars to take a nap.
Speaker 1: Wait, Shanti, what movie did you fall asleep in?
Speaker 2: Girl? I don't know. I was sleep. I was knocked out.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I gotta ask my best friend and get back to y'all because no clue.
Speaker 3: Oh, actually I fall asleep in a club. That's gotta be the craziest place I've fallen asleep. Yes, that's definitely a scene. It's loud, it's crazy, it's high, but like when you're tired, it just it's like, get tired.
Speaker 2: I want to taking nap right here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was like, I think she's on a beach or something with her brother, and she like, I need to take a nap right here, like crying.
Speaker 2: I felt that. Tell me. Some of the things that you play or watch on your iPad.
Speaker 1: I think between my family and a couple of friends, I have like log Insto, every streaming platform possible, So whatever show I'm watching at that moment, I Co'm in between shows right now, So I'm just gonna download a bunch of like top ten whatever movies, and then my iPad games. I get made fun of a lot for these, but I don't care. I love my Smurf Village game. I've been playing that since I got my iPad in like third grade. I play the Harry Podder Hark Fog Words game.
Speaker 3: I get made show all of that because I need explanations, So go ahead, Smurfville, Harry Potter.
Speaker 1: I play Homescapes that's a good one. And then I say like, those are my big three, and then a bunch of like random ones obviously have on there.
Speaker 2: Okay, what smurf would you be?
Speaker 1: Obviously I'm gonna be smurfed. I mean, duh, who would you be?
Speaker 3: I am in between jokey Smurf because I got jokes for days or chef Smurf because I like to eat, even though Chef Smurk cooks.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, Okay, we're gonna pretend like that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm a cook and any we can just make up our own smurf. You're gonna be the eating smurf. Yes, yes, absolutely, I know Harry Potter. I am a fan. I've read like every book, so I get that. Yes, girls giving Guilty Pleasure. I had a wand I think I had Halloween. Oh okay, you're gonna tell me anything I was doing? Yeah, craziness.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: What house would you want to be in for Harry Potter? Oh my gosh. Wait, and now I'm gonna I forget what house I'm in. I think, oh, excuse me, what house are you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: But like you when you play the game, like take a test, so it like puts you in a house. It was either raven Claw or Hufflepuff. I forget which one it wasn't like it definitely wasn't Slytherin, and it wasn't gryffindor Gryffindor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what house?
Speaker 3: Would you want to be in Gryffindor only because like Harry Potter was in Griffin.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I read the books.
Speaker 3: They're typically the ones who are like brave and going on adventures, and I like to believe that would be me. But honestly, soon as I hear something creepy and the woods or something like that, I'm running. Actually, I wouldn't go explore in the first place.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't think I would like to think I would, but I don't think I would. I think after this we need to do one of those tests and find out.
Speaker 3: Absolutely coming to you Realsom talked about your iPad the games. I know you're a huge reader, so tell the people what you've been reading and what you're into and what you're looking forward to reading.
Speaker 1: I feel like this has been a slow reading summer for me because I take classes but only during one month of the summer. This summer, I'm taking it during both, so it's been hard to read as much as I'd like to. I've read a few good ones, probably Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I really enjoyed that one made me cry. Oh if you like thrillers, pretty girls, I forget who maybe Karen slought or something like that. I forget who wrote it. That's a crazy book. And then The Nightingale. It's like a historical fiction book. I think our Strength coach gave it to me, and I was so just unprepared for. Like I was up at night, like sobbing reading this book. It like crushed my heart.
Speaker 2: But it was really good. It was really good.
Speaker 1: I would suggest that one. I don't think you would like that one.
Speaker 2: Do you read? Wait?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was just it was like a heavy read I read. I'm more of a like self help reader. I like reading about like just ways to improve in the business side of my life, and then also I enjoy, like, you know, the spiritual, faith based side, and.
Speaker 2: Then I enjoy we're reading. Yeah, just mostly like self help.
Speaker 3: When I was younger, I really was into a lot of fiction, but now I'm more like nonfiction self help, that kind of thing. But I don't mind a good little romance novel. I like that kind of stuff, so you can put me on for sure. Do you read like self help books and stuff like that, anything motivational?
Speaker 2: I read some.
Speaker 1: I'm very much more fiction, but like I really did The Obstacles the way, I really like that one and chop Wood Carry Water, but definitely fiction is always my go to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, switching gears here, A listener wants to know what advice would you give to young athletes.
Speaker 1: Advice that I would give, Like, there's so many things you could say. Advice that I would give would be set goals and dream big and make sure like you're setting goals that are whether it's like in a month, a few months, things that you can like obtain that are closer, closer, like what am I trying to say?
Speaker 3: That are like things you can obtain now, and things that you might not think are obtainable, but set them anyways and try.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but also like short term and long term and then also things that you think like I don't know if I can get the level and off this is like realistic or not like you said it there, because like anything's possible. And then also like with that remembering that like the journey is never linear, it's never a straight line. The path like it's never easy. So I feel like just always remembering that, like there's always gonna be setbacks, and it's not about like the setbacks, it's about how you overcome those things and how you respond to those obstacles that are in the way and those things that are thrown at you.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, that's beautiful. I'm feeling inspired. Whatever, what's your advice? No, for real, I think that's dope.
Speaker 3: Like it is essentially there's gonna be a lot of people who tell you no, or maybe you don't fit the picture of what they believe you can do, you know, And so I think that is great advice for younger athletes because even myself growing up, there are people who I had big dreams.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm going to play Division one basketball.
Speaker 3: That was like one of my first basketball goals, and people were just like I hadn't gotten super tall yet, so they were just like where are you going? Like, oh, you can, you can stay you know, near home. You can go to NYU, which is a great school, but that's not the Vision one school where I wanted to go. So if I would have just been okay with what everyone else was setting for me, I wouldn't have achieved the things that I've been able to achieve. So that's great advice, girly, And the advice I would give them kids is be yourself. There is no one else, honestly that you can be. And if you continue to just show up genuinely as yourself in spaces, the people your tribe will find you, and the path that you're supposed to be walking on and the things that you're supposed to be doing in this life will happen over time.
Speaker 2: So just continue to show up authentically as you. That's for the kids.
Speaker 3: I love that we have a special listener who has a live question today, Philip.
Speaker 5: Give a question for us.
Speaker 1: This is my cousin Philip.
Speaker 2: He lives in La Wait.
Speaker 1: First of all, show them your jersey. For those of you who can't see, he's wearing an easy fed bass camp jersey. It looks good on him. Yeah, go ahead, ask your question.
Speaker 5: Uh so easy, Yes, sir.
Speaker 4: I want to know, like what you work out schedule is like, you know, do you like work out every day?
Speaker 5: Is it like like is it like.
Speaker 4: A few a few week days every week, like, you.
Speaker 5: Know, great question, Philip.
Speaker 1: So, as you can see, Phillip's here with me in Minnesota, and he's gotten a little taste of my workout schedule because he's been waking up early and going to the gym with me. Yeah, I work out just about every day. I think I do something most days, so I go to the gym, I do an on court workout probably five six days out of the week. And I'm more of a As I've gotten older, I've learned that quality is more important than quantity. So it's not about how long you're on the core, more about like the quality of the worth that you're getting when you're on the court. So I feel like if you do an hour of good work, even forty five minutes of quality work, that's all you need. And then I go in and I lift afterwards, which is also usually about an hour. And while I've been working out on court, Philip has been doing his own workout on the track, Philip, Hell, have your workout's been going?
Speaker 4: Just you know, running, never stopping until I'm done with the workout facts.
Speaker 1: Philip is also working on his pushups and jumping jacks.
Speaker 5: Tell them how your pushups.
Speaker 2: Are coming along.
Speaker 4: They're doing mediocre mediocre, Okay, I just feel like they do mediocre.
Speaker 1: I would approve that all right for the people who can see.
Speaker 5: Give them a little flex dom your muscles.
Speaker 2: Oh love?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, so good, Philip. That was a great question. Thank you so much for joining today and asking.
Speaker 4: Also, what do you think is crazy a baby named like someone we don't know who has a baby named after you or attached you?
Speaker 5: Will you?
Speaker 1: Wow? Well those were both pretty crazy, and I know people with both.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, I.
Speaker 2: Think a baby is crazy.
Speaker 1: Like a baby being named after me is crazy because I feel like that's like a different level of like this child is stuck with that name for at least eighteen years until they can legally change it if they hate it that much. But then again, also, a tattoo is crazy because like that's permanent, you know, it's either way.
Speaker 5: I'm honored.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like that's a good answer.
Speaker 5: What do you think is crazier personally? Kid named after you? Would you name your kid after me?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, it might probably not.
Speaker 5: But I you think about it, probably not, but you consider it. Yeah. Okay, Well, thank.
Speaker 2: You so much.
Speaker 5: Bill, Give me a hug.
Speaker 3: But that is one hundred percent the cutest listener question we got in. But the listeners really want to know. And up next we're going to get into basketball and all Yukon questions.
Speaker 2: They want to know everything. You ready, Oh, I'm ready? All right. So we were just talking about your personal life.
Speaker 3: What other schools were you thinking about going to visit during your recruitment process.
Speaker 1: So my family was road trip family. So to every AU tournament we went, we drove. Most of them. We drove, so we would stop, we'd leave early, and we would stop at whatever school we were passing on the way that was either interested or even just even if like they hadn't shown interest yet, we would still stop just to see their campus, which at the time like it was.
Speaker 2: Cool, but I was kind of like, why are we doing this?
Speaker 1: And as I'm older and like, even when I went into making my college decision, I was really grateful that my parents did that. Because of COVID, I didn't get official visits. So going on all those other visits, I had already seen the campuses of all the schools I was like really considering, but also campuses of other schools and like things that I knew I didn't like, so getting getting that feel early on was really important and I didn't realize that at the time, but so, like I visited Notre Dame a lot, and like a few memories from there is their dining hall and how my younger brothers when they get any type of buffet of food in front of them, like they go absolutely insane, and just seeing their plates they had like secondhand embarrassment sometimes seeing the plates they'd come back with. When I went to UCLA, I visited there and they had we were doing like a walk around the campus and they had someone on a golf cart stop me with like a magazine I think of a picture.
Speaker 2: Of me on it, and they were like are you easy?
Speaker 5: Fun and like.
Speaker 2: Showing me this magazine.
Speaker 1: They UCLA needs problems because they're like recruiting people and their creative like they were. It was top notch of things that they would send and do. But it was a lot of just really funny things like that. There was a lot of good memories on those visits.
Speaker 2: That sounds great.
Speaker 3: I mean, what's one of the weirdest or like craziest or unexpected things that a school has done to try to get you to commit to them?
Speaker 1: I feel like that was that was funny, and at the moment, I was like, what the heck, Like how does this person know who I am? And then like later we figured out, But that was really cool. I mean, I remember when Maryland offered me a scholarship in sixth grade. I was at their like elite camp and I was called into a Brenda's coach Fries office during lunchtime. And in the moment, I'm like, I just want to go eat lunch with my friends, Like why am I being called to her office right now? And my parents are there and they're talking. I don't like remember the conversation too much, and they're talking. You might have watched the video. And at the end, she's like, I really enjoyed having you here. You've been really great, been following you, watching you, and we want to offer you a scholarship. And they just look at me. I got to look at them, and I look at my parents and I'm like, what does that mean? I had no idea what it I don't what a scholarship meant. So I think that was probably one of my favorite memories, just because that was like the start, like the real start of the recruitment. Process for me and really learning what that Oda scholarship was and realizing like what my future could look.
Speaker 2: Like sixth grade. Oh my goodness, do you have any good recruitment stories? Good?
Speaker 3: I mean, my one of my favorites is we went to like a really really bougie restaurant. This was in South Texas at Corpus, and the waiter came out and it was like the last part of the meal, we already ate, we're done. The waiter came out and it was like a cake, almost like a like a flond with like a little candle, and then like on the side.
Speaker 2: Of it it just said will you marry us?
Speaker 3: Which is kind of crazy, but like it really is like a decision that's gonna last a lifetime if you stay. And so I think that was definitely the craziest recruitment story.
Speaker 2: And I ended up going there, so I guess it was said I do Did you really say I do?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's gonna be a story from our future future husband whoever asked, I'd be like, oh, second time around, here we go. But yeah, that was definitely a wild one. So what is a core memory from last season other than winning the Natty?
Speaker 1: I feel like a lot of my favorite memories are just us as a team hanging out, and one of them was in the It was around it was early in the seasons. It was around Halloween. We had just started getting in discaray movies. I think this was around Halloween, and the first one we decided to watch was The Purge. And it was like our first big movie night. It wasn't the whole team, but we were all like squeeze in pages room. So it was Page, me, KK, Sarah Ice, Jana, Caitlin Ali, We're like all a squeeze in her room and we're watching The Purge and a lot of them had never seen it before, and I think, if I remember correctly, we kind of convinced Jana that this was a real thing. And so then it also became a conversation of like if the Purge really did happen, Like where would you hide?
Speaker 2: Would you go?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Like who would you try to kill? And like would you be like try to get money? Would try to get some like new bags and new designer clothes? Like what would you be trying to get? But that was like our first of many movie nights, and it was nice just to hang out with them and mess with them.
Speaker 3: I love that. That's cute teammate bonding. Okay, so fud family, super fun crazy. Never know what stories you're gonna get with you guys, Can you tell us one story or tell us anything crazy that's happened maybe during a game or when your family came over. It could be au, it could be college anything.
Speaker 1: Wait, funy, craziest thing that they've done at a game, at a game to make it to a game all time or anything. One of my favorite things is when I when I'm like in a game, I even whether if I'm playing or like on the bench, just in the huddle, and I look up on the jumpotron and I see someone from my family up there dancing. It's usually my dad. But when I see him either up there dancing or like, I'll like make eye contact with them, and I'll see him just in this going crazy, or when he's like jumping trying to get a T shirt. The amount of videos that I've seen from fans of him like at games trying to get T shirt tosses, Like, I'm like, Dad, you have so many Yukon shirts, why do you need another Yukon shert from this T shirt toss like you really don't. I know you don't, but it's become a competition for him. But that always makes me laugh. I can imagine him just rebounding over people to grab these T shirts. Yes, and is killing me because it gives very much on brand. And now that's the competition.
Speaker 2: But it's like arms all the way out jumping.
Speaker 3: Has anyone ever out jumped him? No, not the Yukon fans, at least not the box out. If you can add any like random rule to basketball, what would it be?
Speaker 1: I feel like an easy answer would be like a four point shot, like half court and back is worth four points if you get like a crazy buzzer beater, just make things interesting or even like the volleyball line, like a spot is like a bonus point. But I feel like it makes you something like more fun. Like that's that's a basic answer. I don't know what would you say.
Speaker 3: Could you I was gonna say, could you knock down a four point and that's gonna be a that's gonna be a regular range.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely knocked out at least, like you know, I got to get a couple of them in at least won a game that was.
Speaker 3: Probably one of my favorite parts of the All Star Game. I'm like, yes, let's run it up. You should have four points.
Speaker 2: I like that. Okay.
Speaker 3: So one of the listeners want to know what is your signature move and what would you name it?
Speaker 1: My signature move in high school, my signature move was an in and out cross like I did it like one hundred times a game. I feel like I don't do it as much, but it's still my go to, like when I'm playing one on one in workouts, or like an in out between.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I would call it, though you have a great name, girl, I would use it for everything, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Know what I would call it.
Speaker 5: What would be your move? And what would you call it?
Speaker 3: I love a good hook shot, and it's called the hook shot, so you know what I call it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Some ap something.
Speaker 3: Okay, they start with an AP for sure work, but the rest I don't know. We put a little razzle dazz on it, Okay. So we have a ton of questions and this one is making me laugh and I can't wait to ask you. So one of the listeners asked which cartoon character would be unstoppable in college basketball.
Speaker 2: My mind immediately goes to space.
Speaker 1: Jam I feel like mine. I'm trying to think of something else. Okay, I'm gonna go with Sully from Monstros Inc. I think he'd be a beast in the paint. Yes, absolutely, that's cute.
Speaker 3: So it just depends. Like I'm thinking Tom and Jerry old school. Both of them will be great. One Tom haydy cat. He's bigger, at least on the cartoon. He makes him look big, so we would put him in the paint. Absolutely, But Jerry he's small. He gets through everybody. He'll be my little point guard.
Speaker 2: So okay, I think my characters.
Speaker 3: Okay, what is the funniest thing a coach has ever yelled at you about?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, you know what?
Speaker 1: The funniest or I would say, like the most random, like I'm not gonna say unacceptable, but like something you shouldn't be yelled at for would be my dad yelling at me. I forget what grade it, definitely, I want to say this was like seventh eighth, maybe ninth grade like in that in that time period, could have been younger.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I needed to go pee during practice, he yelled at me.
Speaker 2: He yelled at me.
Speaker 1: So he kicked me out of practice, kicked me out of the gym because I asked to go.
Speaker 2: Pee something you could not even control.
Speaker 1: No, actually he told me that you can't control it, and you should only be asking to go to the bathroom if you need to poop, because that's been that you can't hold. But if you need to pee, then you're not really trying. You're not working hard enough.
Speaker 3: Oh, he said, all that needs to be coming out through sweat.
Speaker 2: I see, I see the thinking practice.
Speaker 1: I think I was just speechless on that one. I was like, is he what's going on?
Speaker 2: I mean, did you ever pee your pants in practice? No? So I mean I should have just.
Speaker 3: A prop of point, like I told you, I told you I needed to go. Okay, So what is the most embarrassing moment you've had on the court?
Speaker 2: Then? So we know you didn't pee your pants? What happened?
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess similar to that. I guess getting my period during a game. That's never fun. How old were you when this happened? Oh, this was like in college. Okay, it was, but someone saw it before, like other people did so I've heard like other horror stories. But so they caught it in time for me to change and was this a TV game? Yeah, but it wasn't bad and you could only see it from a certain angle.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was caught in time. But shout out to the community because oh my goodness, that's crazy. Okay, we're back from break a Z.
Speaker 2: What do you got?
Speaker 3: So the first question is where did you grow up? So I grew up in New York City. I lived mostly in Manhattan majority of my life, but I've lived in almost every borough except for Staten Island.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: The next question is where did you play college basketball? I played college basketball at Texas A and M Corpus Christi. It is a small division one in South Texas aka The Island University. Was it hard to leave New York when you picked a college out of state? I was really excited to leave New York. You know, I grew up there, so I was like, I want to go somewhere outside of the city, and I want to go somewhere warm, So it made sense for me to go there and then but it's very different. It's very different. People are always smiling and they greet you when you walk by. New York is not as friendly as Texas is, but it was it was great.
Speaker 1: Wait, so then what made you want to go back? You're like, I miss it.
Speaker 2: New York is always home.
Speaker 3: I went to college in Texas, but I was like, I knew I wasn't going to stay there forever. So that's why I definitely made my way back back home. But after a couple of years. Though, after a couple of years, but I made my way back.
Speaker 1: You did, what injuries did you have when you were playing?
Speaker 2: So quite a few.
Speaker 3: Actually, I was pretty much injured majority of my college career. I had some major ankle injuries, like just like sprains, and then I popped my cartilage and the big one.
Speaker 2: I tore my ACL when I was a senior. Hey, part of the club.
Speaker 3: It's when right or leftni lefni. Okay, so we've got both in these covered between the two of us.
Speaker 2: Then look at that. Listen only on one good one.
Speaker 1: No, I don't say that we have two good ones each, like our knees are good.
Speaker 2: Okay, put it together. We got two good knees.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: The next question is did you play overseas? And where I did play overseas? I played in Malta. I played in Czech Republic, Germany and Australia. My absolute favorite place playing was Australia. It was the last place I played, and I just loved everything. I've always wanted to go and so I was really excited to be able to play out there and live out there for a couple of months.
Speaker 1: What about that was your favorite?
Speaker 2: I think the team was.
Speaker 3: The team felt really like family and it's warm all the time. I lived in Brisbane and Brisbane's like a city, but they have like this man made beach in the middle of the city and so.
Speaker 2: That was cool. It's a lot of greenery, but not like the country, so I enjoyed being able to still be around like green but not be in in the middle of like the woods.
Speaker 1: So you didn't see any giant spiders or kinkers.
Speaker 2: No giant spiders.
Speaker 3: But I was chased down the street by a turkey looking animal on my way to practice yep, yep, traumatic experience.
Speaker 2: Me and my therapists are locked in after that.
Speaker 3: But definitely that was the only thing I was more afraid, because you know, Australia is home to the deadliest animals in the world. But it was more city like than anything. And I only got chased one time, so you know, we let it go. I feel like those are good odds. Only once, only once out of the months I was there. I'll take it anytime.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: The next question is fast forward a little bit. They want to know how did you get into basketball media?
Speaker 3: So I got hurt towards the end of being in Australia, and for me, I was kind of like, all right, I've dealt with injuries all through college.
Speaker 2: I've dealt with injuries.
Speaker 3: Now in my professional career, I might want to like slow down a little bit. So I was like, how can I I still be around the game when I'm not playing professionally? And so I was kind of like, why not host? Why not tell stories? Why not still be around it in ways that I don't necessarily have to play all the time, still play for funsies. But it's like a different vibe now with the game. So yeah, I got into it because I stopped playing professionally. Okay, last question, do you like hosting broadcasting as much as playing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I love it and I just find like a new love for it hosting and broadcasting and all this fun stuff. But I think even when I still play basketball but recreationally or like for New York City outdoor summer basketball, it's just something about playing the game that will always be the best feeling ever. So why I love hosting and I love doing all the things surrounding the game. I think actually playing will always be like my number one love.
Speaker 1: I love that it doesn't get better than playing it.
Speaker 2: It doesn't, So be present. Why you got it?
Speaker 1: Thank you all for listening. We'll be back next week after I get back from traveling, but until then, show the pod some love, rate, review, and subscribe to futt Around and find Out wherever you get your podcasts. Futt Around and find Out is a production of iHeart Women's Sports and Unanimous Media. Executive producers are Jesse Katz, Eric Payton, Charla Sumter Brugette, and Stephan Curry. Co executive producer is Klena Maria Cutney. Producers are Mike Costcarelli and co producers are Kurt Redmand, Maya Howard, and Jacqueline Scheninger. This podcast is edited by Mike Costcarelli and hosted by me Aisy Fudd and Ashanti Plummer.