Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Certainly the Middle East has changed forever. We are looking at a very different world, not just because of the war, but because the war has reinforced certain trends that were already in play.
Speaker 1: Mali Ha Lothi, who's been one of Pakistan's top diplomats, on power shifts and the role her country's playing.
Speaker 2: It shows the advent and the importance of middle parts that are now able to shape geopolitics.
Speaker 3: So Pakistan, by playing this role of mediation, has established itself as a middle par which has the capacity to influence, if not shape, international politics.
Speaker 1: From Blue Weekend, This is the Michelle Hussein Show. I'm Michelle Hussein. After nearly six weeks of war, these last few days have brought a moment of pivot, or at least a potential one, as the United States and Iran agreed to talk. The diplomacy that made it possible was not led by one of the big powers or the UN or Oman which mediated before, but by Pakistan. How and why did that happen? What's the background to the Islamabad summit and is there a reshaping of relationships under way that we should all pay attention to As I thought about these questions in recent days, the person I wanted to hear answering them is a woman who was Pakistan's ambassador to Washing twice and who also served her country as ambassador in London and at the UN Before that. Malihlothi was a newspaper editor, and as it happens, I once interned for her way back as my very first taste of journalism. At that time, I would barely have had the courage to speak directly to her. She was not Anna Winter, but she was exacting. In this conversation, you'll hear her look beyond this crisis and beyond the Middle East and South Asia, with observations on the United States and also on where she differs with her own country's leadership. Our starting point was how Pakistan's role as a peace broker came about.
Speaker 2: I think Pakistan's military and civilian leaders were both working the fams. Pakistan's army chief in particular, was on the line to Washington at all times from what I hear, especially in the last couple of days just before the agreement was forged, and of course Pakistan's prime ministers on the phone to the Iranian leadership constantly, and I think the main thing that I understood was they never really gave up, even when the situation looked very bleak, especially when President Trump began to say what he said, and I don't want to repeat all the things he said, but at that time it wasn't clear whether you know, that was just bluster or that was you know, statements that would so offend the Iranians that they were just call off everything.
Speaker 1: You mean, the words about ending a civilization, Yes, this kind of rhetoric. And did you in that period also think how is this going to bear fruit? That this situation is so extreme?
Speaker 2: Well, yes, I think there was a point at which it seemed that even the progress that we were learning from Pakistani officials that was being made seemed to be in jeopardy. So I thought that, you know, when President Trump began to sound so frustrated and angry, actually I thought, this is it, and the US will never agree to the terms that the Iranians conveyed at the end. You know, the famous ten points, the famous now because everybody knows about them, because you know, initially the Americans rejected them and said we don't accept them. But then as we've seen, both sides actually walked back from their maximilist positions. Iran did and so did the US.
Speaker 1: And before we get to those points, I still want to explore the relationships that Pakistan has both with the United States, which you've seen in your own career over multiple cycles, and with Iran. So, first of all, on the US is the key to this personal relationship between Phil Marshal Arsimonir and President Trump And how on earth was that bond formed?
Speaker 2: Well, very wet. So I think this personal relationship between the two which really came about very early in President Trump's second term, and it really started with the first sort of early win that in a way Pakistan handed it to him when it arrested and then extradited the terrorist who was responsible for the bombing in Kabul during the American evacuation from Afghanistan. I mean, I think President Trump was so taken in by this gesture, by this action, that he chose to mention this in his first address to Congress, and then during the conflict between India and Pakistan once that conflict was over and Trump played a role in diffusing it. Pakistan, of course, you know by a sidari leaders I should say, you know, kept saying how grateful they were to President Trump, and then of course announcing Nobel Peace Prize for him, which I personally was a critic of. I wrote against it, I tweated against him, and I said, why are we giving a Nobel Peace prize to a man who has not exactly been promoting peace around the world. But it seemed to do the trick, and Trump became even closer to the Pakistani leadership, particularly of course to Field Marshall, aarsimonyir.
Speaker 1: That level of flattery, even of sequousness, some would say, made many Pakistanis uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, absolutely, because remember President Trump he'd attacked Iran along with Israel around that time, on a little later than that time, so clearly there was questioning about that decision. But I think beyond that announcement of the Nobel Peace Prize, there were also these sweetheart business deals that Pakistani leaders were offering Trump. And in addition to that, Pakistan's offer to open up the country for mining for critical minerals, which they knew was really very high up on Trump's agenda given the fact that the US had fallen behind China. So I mean, I think if you put all of that together, that went into the relationship that you know, then helped Pakistan emerge as the mediator.
Speaker 1: And let's talk about the other side of them, the relationship between Pakistan and Iran, which has also been complex at times, including relatively recently in twenty twenty four, when the two countries were striking each other towards Iran's east and Pakistan's west and saying that there were terrorists hideouts on each other's soil.
Speaker 2: Yes, Michelle, you're absolutely right. The relationship with Iran has been you know, up and down for the last couple of decades, but also because of what you mentioned, the exchange of missile strikes, with both countries accusing the other of giving a safe haven, albeit unintentionally, to militants that had threatened their security. So it really was after these missile strikes when the two countries decided to mend fences that I think the new relationship began to take shape. And that's when we saw the two engaging very closely, visitors coming to Pakistan from Iran, and then I think, even more significantly, the way Pakistan stood in solidarity with Iran last year when there was a joint Israeli American attack actually to Israeli attack, and then the Americans joined in the bombing. You would recall at that time, Pakistan, I think, amongst all the Muslim countries, are probably the most outspoken in expressing its solidarity with Iran, for which Iranian leaders were very, very publicly grateful. And then that was followed by a stream of Iranian visitors to Pakistan, including mister Larajani, who was of course later assassinated. He came to Pakistan, others came to Pakistan, so you could see that the relationship was, you know, being strengthened by all these visits and interactions, and you know, ultimately I think the search for a mediator whom both countries could have confidence in there really wasn't any other country. I mean, the Arab country were ruled out. Oman had had their fingers burnt, so Oman couldn't re emerge or didn't want to, and then there was only really Pakistan and Turkey left. And I think Pakistan, because of the personal factor, Turkey didn't enjoy that sort of closeness with the Trump administration that in Marshall, we needed it.
Speaker 1: There's also been a bit of tighter walking hasn't there for Pakistan in this period, in that it you know, condoled over the killing of the Supreme Leader and also said to Iran that its attacks on the Gulf were regrettable. I do also want to ask you about Pakistan's self interest in this because in this last month, how badly has the country been affected by the energy disruption? What have you seen play out around you in Islamabad.
Speaker 2: Look, this was very high stakes for Pakistan because of the economic pain that Pakistan had begun to feel already and could see that a protracted conflict would bring even more economic pain. So although Pakistan didn't get into rationing of oil, you didn't see cues at petrol pumps in the capital or elsewhere, but you did see the spike in the oil price. The government had to raise the price of oil, and of course the government announced a series of austerity measures because it wanted to conserve fuel. Remember that Pakistan imports almost ninety percent of its oil requirements from the Gulf countries. So again, if the conflict had prolonged, the economic damage at a time, and when Pakistani economy in any case, it's very fragile, very weak within an IMF program. I mean it would have blown our economy. Of course, if the war had continued.
Speaker 1: And schools have been closed. It has been too expensive for some people to get to work, so they've been all kinds of hardships of that kind. What it means for people's incomes. Let's talk then about this ten or fifteen point plan. Iran is going into these talks with very ambitious, some would say outlandish demands, and at the same time President Trump is saying the military objectives have been met. Well.
Speaker 2: Right now, both sides have a narrative which says that they've achieved their objectives, that they are they've been victorious. Both sides are saying that. But I think both sides know that their demands or conditions or terms for these negotiations are maximalist. So the question, and I think it's hard to answer that question right now, is whether they can find sufficient common ground. Because you know, Michelle, they did find common ground when Oman was mediating, as the Omani's foreign minister has said so many times, they were close to a deal at that time, and then suddenly, in the midst of negotiations, America decided to join Israel and attacking Iran, so that part perhaps can be sort of in a way, you know, they can go back to that kind of an agreement. But the additionality is provided by the Strait of Hormus because that now becomes central to the negotiations. And there you can see the positions are very far apart the Americans. I mean, President President keeps changing his mind every few hours. If I say it, he said this last time, it may change in the next two days. I mean, I can't guarantee that, but you know, he's saying he'd like to work with it on to regulate or operate the Strait of hormones. The Iranians are probably aghast at having to work with anybody, but they're prepared to work with Alan. But they're saying, we're going to charge fees now. I mean, this has been a free ride, and we're going to charge fees for whatever maritime traffic takes place through the strait. So I think, you know, again maximilist positions. We don't know the kind of agreement they'll reach because this now will become very central to a comprehensive settlement.
Speaker 1: We don't know how what kind of agreement they'll reach or its chances of being anything lasting. I mean one thing, for example, where we know there's a difference is on Lebanon. Pakistan's Prime Minister Shabastarif saying Lebanon, the Israeli war in Lebanon is part of this, and Israel saying very clearly that.
Speaker 2: It is not well. I think the bigger question is whether Israel will sabotage the agreement, this ceasefire, So Lebanon is only part of it. I mean, the major part is it concerns the cease fire between the United States and Iran. So if they were to sabotage it and place spoiler in that by continuing attacks on Iran and then sort of exposing Trump's inability if he's unable, that is, or unwilling to constrain and restrain Israel, then we're looking at a very complex and challenging situation. So I think the key lies in Trump showing that he can restrain it and yahoo he can control and contain Israel. That is the big sort of question, I think, and we don't have an answer to that yet.
Speaker 1: So even though there are many unknowns in this, what does your gut instinct tell you about the chances of this process in Islamabad leading to something that averts a return to war, or even just bring some stuff ability to the global economy.
Speaker 2: But I'd like to be optimistic, and my optimism, I think rests on firm ground because both sides know that there is more economic pain for everyone, including themselves, if there was a relapse into fighting. Both sides are in a position right now to sort of proclaim that we've achieved our objectives. They may not be able to do that if there is again a recurrence of war. So you know, that provides a strong incentive to both sides to try to hammer out a deal. So, you know, I hope my optimism pays off in the sense that, you know, I hope they're able to arrive at a settlement because they can't keep going to war every seven months. I mean, they can, but I think the costs of piling up have been piling up.
Speaker 1: But also, Iran has really discovered its power, hasn't it. Perhaps it always knew that its powers there and it's everyone else who discovered it. But that dimension, the Strait of Hormus, this uniquely placed part of the world, appears to have been a dimension that the Americans did not fullesee, did not think through at all.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, I think the Americans made several miscalculations, and this was one of them. The other big mess calculation, as you know, was the thought that the Iranians would simply, you know, once their leaders had been decapitated or assassinated, that the Iranian regime would just collapse. Didn't happen. So, I mean there were a series of miscalculations, including the fact that the Iranians would get so much leverage by controlling the strait of hormones. So you know. But ultimately and fundamentally, and I've written about this, the US historically underestimates the power of nationalism. It's done that throughout history. Did that in Vietnam, did that in Afghanistan, did that in Iraq, and now did this in Iran. They really thought that by attacking Iran, the people of Iran, the dissidents, those who opposed the regime, will rise. You know, war has the opposite effect. People close ranks, they forget the internal differences. They come together because the strong force of nationalism is what motivates them to become a more unified nation. And that's exactly what happened. I mean even in Afhanistan. I mean, Taliban weren't exactly the most popular people in that country, and yet twenty years they managed to well, if not defeat the United States, but prevent them from winning.
Speaker 1: Is that what you hope that the United States learns this time? Because you've worked with successive American administrations. You were in the United States as Pakistan's ambassad whre nine to eleven took place, which meant that you were there when the Afghanistan engagement began, and that drew Pakistan into the US military and political orbit for many years, and you would also have seen the start of what became the build up to.
Speaker 2: War in Iraq. Yes, you're right, I was there in Washington, and I remember the early days after nine to eleven. Of course, it was a tremendously horrific tragedy that befell America, no question about that. But what my country's officials privately told the Americans at that time in those early days was that don't go and occupy Afhanistan. We understand you want to take some kind of military action, but it should be, in the words of the then president, short and surgical. So he even said at that time, don't become an army of occupation. Why, because you know, we have experience in this region, and we know that people will resist an outsider, they will resist foreign occupation, and that's exactly what happened. Now, whether the US learns this lesson, and it's such a paradox because here is a country where I've spent many years as a diplomat, which really sort of takes pride in its own country, where people are sort of flag waving, patriotic, sort of you know what stories put on all of that, and yet they don't understand that other countries have people who are equally proud of their country and nationalists they want to protect their country.
Speaker 1: I do want to ask you to look a bit further and whether you think this moment will mark the start of a different world order where America has learned that it can start wars, but they can spin out of control and it can't control the economic fallout, and where other regional dynamics and alliances shift as a result.
Speaker 2: I mean hope that the lesson learned would be that military supremacy doesn't achieve the outcome that is desired. I think the world in any case is moving towards a more multipolar world, if I can put it that way, and that US dominance is fading, has been fading. I mean, the combined military might of the United States and Israel took on a country that was militarily much much weaker, whose allies in the region had also been weakened, and yet that country resisted. Now what does that say. What that says is that America's dominance, and the error of americans dominance in the region is basically over. It also shows, I mean, in the case of my country and the role Pakistan played, it shows the advent and the importance of middle paths that are now able to shape geopolitics. So Pakistan, by playing this role of mediation, has established itself as a middle power which has the capacity to influence, if not shape, international politics.
Speaker 1: Is a loser in that though perhaps democracy in Pakistan in that the key player that we see in all of this is an unelected army officer.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Pakistan. That's where we've beamed for a lot of our history. And yes, I mean we have in place a hybrid government, which means that parer is shared between civilians and the military. And in this particular case, it was the military that was, you know, conducting much of the diplomacy. I mean, you can't say that the Prime Minister wasn't involved. Of course he was. So the civilians were also, of course involved, but the driving force was the Field Marshal and the military. That's the nature of politics and government in Pakistan.
Speaker 1: When you say you believe the era of American dominance is over, just explain how you see that playing out in the Middle East. Because President Trump is saying he thinks that this could be the Golden age of the Middle East, and America has all these bases in the region, what happens do you think in the long run or maybe even the medium term to those bases in the Gulf.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean when I say that the era of American dominance is over, I think they will be rethinking in the US about you know, what is the point of having thousands and thousands of US troops based in the region when they can't on their own determine what happens in the region. They can't shape the Middle East the way they wanted to even before. I mean Iraq is something that you mentioned before. I mean, what did they do there? So I mean, it's been a process. It's not as if this war has brought it about. A process was already underway that US dominance over the work, actually not just the region, was beginning to be replaced by the fact that power was being dispersed amongst many in different places, not just one country being able to, you know, get the outcomes that it wanted. It could only get the outcomes that it wanted in cooperation with other countries, something that President Trump clearly doesn't believe in. So he decided to action ilaterally or I mean, of course he had a co partner in Israel, never consulted his allies. So I think, you know, we're looking at a very different world, not just because of the war, but because the war has reinforced certain trends that were already in play.
Speaker 1: But if there is one winner in all of this, would you say it was China? And to what extent do you believe it has been involved in bringing the summit about?
Speaker 2: Well, I think, I mean, there are reports that the Chinese eventually persuaded Iran, and they also played a role visibly communication with the United States. I have no idea about the veracity of these reports, but certainly when you say China is a beneficiary, yes, I think one could say that because what this entire episode has shown and highlighted is that America has an unstable leader who conducts unilatural policies and acts unilaterally. But China, on the other hand, is a force for stability in the world, and that's how they project themselves also, but it also happens to be true. I mean, more countries have trading agreements now with China. China is a bigger trading partner of most countries in the world. I mean I say that absolutely, It's absolutely accurate. The EU's largest trading partner is China. Many Asian countries' largest trading partner is China. India's largest trading partner is not the United States, it's China. So what does that say. It's what it says is that China is a force for peace, cooperation and stability. But as the US is being run by a man who conducts himself in such a whimsical manner and who has disrupted so much in the world global trade, and of course has been engaged in this in this war of choice. So the contrast is stunning.
Speaker 1: Painter picture then of the Gulf and South Asia. Say in three years time, I'm going to pick that timeframe. Do you think it is going to be a more settled place or do you think what has been unleashed this kind of instability is two amense for the situation to go back in the box that was in at the start of the year.
Speaker 2: Well, certainly the Middle East has changed forever. It will not be statusco anti at all. Things are not going to go back to what they were before, that's for sure. Now what comes in its place, it depends on I think real alignments that will take place, reassessments that many Gulf countries may have to carry out. I mean, what happened to them. So many of them are feeling abandoned by the United States. Many feel that this American security umbrella, when the push came to show it was of no value to them because America didn't defend them. America defended Israel, and Israel always has the priority over them. So you know, a lot of the dynamics in the years to come will be shaped by these kinds of assessments and calculations. But certainly we're not going to be in for a period of immediate stability. I think that one can conclude, but it will be a period where the US will increasingly withdraw, which is what Trump had said in the first place in his national security strategy. And then who fills that power vacuum will depend on the realignments that will take shape here.
Speaker 1: You talked about this being a moment for the Middle Powers. From the Indian perspective, the strategy has never been for Pakistan to be in that category of Middle powers, whereas actually in the last few weeks we have seen Saudi Arabia working on this, We've seen Turkey working on this. In Pakistan's Prime Minister as thanked Katar and Egypt as well. Where do you think this leaves India.
Speaker 2: I think right now on the wrong side of history. They just lined up with the wrong countries. They broke from their traditional position of support for the Palestinians. As I said, they lined up with Israel and supported Israel, whereas they had a good relationship with Itran, they had cooperation on trade with it on. All of that went for a six when the Indians decided or the ore the Prime Minister Modi's government, who came under a lot of domestic political fire from the opposition who said, why are you India's well known, well established foreign pancy, which is what he did. He actually did a tramp on India, completely reversed and upended many of India's traditional alignments. So I mean they've been sidelined by all this. Now, whether that leads to a reassessment by India, I don't know. But I think for Pakistan it is very important because in a way it helps Pakistan to extricate itself, if I could put it that way, not that it physically can extricate itself, but at least diplomatically extricate itself from South Asia and become a player on a much bigger canvas, which is the Middle East. I mean, not that it's new. It has played this role before, but it had in recent years become rather more focused, let's say, on India and its eastern border rather than the western, rather than on the western frontier.
Speaker 1: In the complexities of Pakistan in the Middle East, the Prime Minister of Farkistan being on the board of peace an organization, if one can call it that, which it's perfectly clear President Trump would like to be an alternative to the UN. How does that square with having principles on peace and stability and supporting long established international organizations.
Speaker 2: I was a critic of Pakistan joining the Board of Peace, So you know, when you ask me that question, you are sort of asking somebody who's already there saying my country shouldn't have lined up on that because it was so unclear what President Trump really wanted. He wanted to legitimize his Middle East plan for Gaza, and I didn't think that Pakistan should be a party to that. But it seems that President Trump got board of the Board of Peace, and I mean it's tragic that the Palestinians and their issue has been again, you know, overshadowed, sidelined by this war that was imposed on Iran.
Speaker 1: Before we let you go, a final question related to your long experience as a diplomat, if you could give advice to the people who are presumably going to be face to face with each other in a very high stakes encounter, what would you say.
Speaker 2: I would say what we used to say a lot at the UN, which is you have to think of the other's concern as much as you push your own interests, and therefore the need to show flexibility so that common ground can be found, otherwise we can't have any agreement.
Speaker 1: Willie Hellodi, thank you very much. It's a pleasure, and that's where we left the conversation. Thanks as ever to the team producers Jessica Beck and Chris Martlu, video producer Andy Hayward, executive producer Louisa Lewis. This week Bart Walshaw, composer of our music, also did our audio bick. Alex Morgan looks after. Social media production assistance is by Jennifer Seeley and at Bloomberg Weekend. Thanks to Brendan Francis Newnham and our executive editor Catherine Bell. As a reminder to you all, our email Michelle Show at Bloomberg dot net and you can expect a reply until next time.
Speaker 3: Goodbye,