Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalist at Comedy Central's America's only sorts for news, This is the Daily Joke.
Speaker 3: With your host, Jordan Clapper.
Speaker 4: Jordan the guy.
Speaker 3: We got so much to talk about tonight because Donald Trump spent the week in the Middle East as part of his Dictator Study Abroad program. But you know what, today was his last day. So let's see how it all came together with another installment of Trump meets.
Speaker 2: World international humiliation one after another.
Speaker 3: Oh, this morning, Donald Trump said goodbye to Cutter, but not before making her appearance an American military base where he sasheed for the soldiers. Oh look at that. That's sexy, right, Oh, that's sexy. Yeah. Show the boys what we're fighting for over there, right, sexy baby. And of course, Trump once again was serenaded in person by proud to be an American singer Lee Greenwood, which begs the question did Donald Trump kidnap Lee Greenwood? I mean, I get having him singing a campaign rally, but dragging him all the way to Cutter? Is Greenwood like that mad Max guitarist you know? Is he just chained to Trump's podium at this point, Lee, Lee, Lee, are you being held against your will? If you are, give us a sign struggle to hit the high note?
Speaker 1: But near me, no Dowd.
Speaker 5: I love this.
Speaker 3: God he needs help, Oh God, oh God. Someone call him Nason or mel Gibson. Probably he'll do it. Yes. Anyway. After blueballing our troops, Trump was off to the United Arab Emirates, the country Americans always click on accidentally on the drop down menu. Okay, remember when we used to be h at the top all the time. You know what you want to win?
Speaker 1: My vote?
Speaker 3: Make that your campaign promise America first on the dropdown menu. I'll vote for that every time. And that's been discussed, been discussing all week. Trump has been receiving a huge welcome at each stop on this tour. Saudi Arabia gave him a horse guard, counter gave him horses and camels and a sword dancing ceremony. U A, you got a lot to live.
Speaker 6: Up to show us what you got.
Speaker 3: A group auditioned for a panteene commercial. Is that a threat? Work with us or we'll clog your drains. Look, look, this wasn't a sightseeing Trump was there to talk business. So the main event of the day. It was a roundtable with some of America's top defense contractors. A chance for Trump to be focused on selling American goods. So make that sales pitch and bring it home.
Speaker 2: We're coming up with a new system of drones, because drones are really if you look at the war that's going on, it's horrible when you look at what's happening with Russia and Ukraine. The drone is killing tremendous numbers of people. You hide behind the tree and the drone comes down and it circles you with fire. You don't have a chance. Tree comes down. Also, by the way, it's so intense to I mean, you see these trees being knocked down, like like they're being sawed down by a top of the line Timberman, Like like you know who Sean Duffy.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, uh okay, this is about drones. Uh we're getting it off track here, not about trees or the Timberman. So let's let's get back to the roads and forget about Sean Duffy.
Speaker 2: Do you know that Sean Duffy, the head of the Transportation Department, who's working right now in the airports and getting a system because Biden didn't do a thing for four years.
Speaker 3: Okay, airports, Joe Biden, Oh shit, I know what's about to happen. Everyone, stay calm. We're entering a weave. A buggle up everyone, the and it's been up for four days. This is a jet lag weave. All right, this could get bumpy.
Speaker 2: Biden didn't do a thing for four years and Pete Buddhadi was the head and he goes bicycle into work. He takes a bicycle to work. Can you believe he's running the biggest air system in the world and he takes a bicycle to work.
Speaker 3: So Pete Buddahjudt should have taken a plane to work? Is that what I'm overthinking it? I'm overthinking It's a weave. You got to steer into the spin.
Speaker 2: And they say he's going to run for president. I don't see it. Who knows, right, but I don't see it.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been in a corn maze and you just can't find your way out? Okay? Yeah, ok, Buddha Judge for president? I mean, who knows? Probably not worth speculating about with a bunch of Middle East businessmen. Can we just get back to what we were talking about.
Speaker 2: What people don't know about Sean because I mentioned lumberjacks.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no, no, Noe wasn't about lumberjacks. Not about lumberjacks. Okay, you were talking about drones. Forget about the lumberjacks.
Speaker 2: I mentioned lumberjacks. That, Sean, you probably didn't know this. I'm not talking about this, Jean. This, Shawn, note not, this is not. This is a different show. Sean Duffy the head of transportation. He's a great Shawn though. I have to tell you he's a great Sean.
Speaker 3: We're just ranking Seawan's. Now you got Sean Hannaday, Sean Spiccer, set of the Net, Sean the rhymes. At this point, everyone in the room was probably like, can we just give you our bribe and go home? It's the president. Look though, no believe no, I believe.
Speaker 1: I believe.
Speaker 3: I believe it's the president. I believe in you. You can find your way back to the drones. Take us home, Donny.
Speaker 2: He's a great Shawn though. I have to tell you, but Sean Duffy was the world champion for five years, climbing trees and down up in that world champion. So that's what you call a serious lumber He's doing a fantastic job to a really respected guy and terrific the champion, because when somebody is a champion, he's a world chair. Long time he came down. When you come down those trees coming down at a rapid he said, that started getting you often break your back, you miss a you miss a shot, and you're coming faster than the human body was meant to come down. But he's doing a fantastic job at transportation.
Speaker 3: Look at those faces. This man right here is a Bowie executive. His planes fall out of the sky and he's sitting here like now, this is a fine disaster. Can you can you imagine the translator at this event listening to all of this shit, like.
Speaker 7: He said, he loves it here all right, So okay, just to recap here, all right, what do we have?
Speaker 3: So we went from drones to lumberjacks, to Sean Duffy to Pete Buddha Jedge, back to Sean Duffy as a sexy lumberjack. And I won't play the rest for you because he went on for thirteen more minutes with mentions and this is all true of the stock market. He got into there for a little bit Lee Greenwood obviously, and how the twenty twenty election was rigged. And in case you're wondering, when he weaved his way back to the drones, he never fucking did, never never get that Leader of the Free World. Everyone. Huh. So that was the end of President Trump's visit to the Middle East. The question is, after visiting three countries in four days, did the whole thing yield any results? To find out, Let's go live to the United Arab Emirates with Josh Johnson's Oslama Lacam Jordan. Okay, what was your takeaway, Josh from the trip? It seemed like kind of a business as usual for Trump.
Speaker 8: What are you talking about? This is a life changing trip for Trump. Don't forget this guy used to hate Muslims. He tried to ban them from the country. He called President Obama brock who's sang? And he capitalized every letter and who's sang, screaming it with his thumbs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean he seemed to not like Muslims.
Speaker 8: Not like he didn't know the differs between guitars, Saudi Arabia and the UAE. He called them little ices, big ices, and ices Tokyo drifts. But then he visited their lands and they showed him their culture, and they taught him their history, and.
Speaker 3: Then they gave him a four hundred million dollar jet. And it was something about all of that that now he loves Muslims. It's beautiful. Yeah, I don't know if it was all of that, it might might just be the free jets.
Speaker 8: You cynical son of a bitch. Why can't you believe in something beautiful?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 8: Point is that Trump is changing. It doesn't matter why. If I'm being honest, I can relate. When I first started at the Daily Show, I didn't really white people like that. But then one day one of my white coworkers started leaving me free yogurt in the fridge, and I realized white people weren't devils.
Speaker 3: They were people.
Speaker 1: Who gave me free yogurts.
Speaker 3: Wait, that's you who keeps taking my yogurts.
Speaker 8: A lot of white people put klepper on their yogurt.
Speaker 1: Clepper.
Speaker 8: Out of the point is that people can change. Trump is living by Martin Luther King's dream judge people not by the color of their skin, but the contents of their wallets.
Speaker 3: Okay, Josh I hate to be that guy, but I don't think you're remembering black history correctly.
Speaker 5: Wow wow, oh okay.
Speaker 8: I can't believe you're white explaining Black history to me during Black History Month.
Speaker 3: It's not Black History Month, Josha.
Speaker 5: How dare you you know? I was right before you are a raging bigot, more like Jordan who sang it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What if I gave you a yogurt? I appreciate your culture. Thank you very much, Josh Johnson, Everybody, we come back. Roddy Chang love seafood too much?
Speaker 4: Don't go away, Welcome back to the Daily Shop.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of good causes you can donate your money too, But what about confusing causes? Rodny Chang discovered one. There's nothing I'm more passionate about. They're donating to charity.
Speaker 1: Hey, do you want to say the environ?
Speaker 9: No? And I'm not the only softy outfit three billion people in your armory? Shut up, man, talk about charity here, donate that time and money, but for doing.
Speaker 3: Goodness like myself.
Speaker 9: How do you pick between so many deserving causes? Me? Finance bro term philanthropists Andreas her menez Zoia.
Speaker 1: I was working in investment banking.
Speaker 10: My wife was helping refugees, and I saw how meaningful her work was, and I decided to do the same.
Speaker 9: Oh, so you're helping refugees, Well.
Speaker 10: Not quite, I'm helping shrimp the Shrimp Welfare Project.
Speaker 6: What do you care about shrimp?
Speaker 3: Shrimp?
Speaker 10: Well, there's a lot of evidence that they can feel stress and pain.
Speaker 9: So you decided to dedicate all your time and money into saving the lives of shrimp.
Speaker 10: Not quite. We're actually working to reduce the suffering when they die.
Speaker 9: So after all your work is done, they still.
Speaker 10: Die, yes, less painfully.
Speaker 9: How did you make this even stupid?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 9: The Strimp Welfare Project is a charity improving the lives of appetizers.
Speaker 10: We make sure that they have a more humane slaughter method. We try to avoid overcrowding. We try to eliminate ice pocuplation, which is this practice of cutting or crushing of the eyes of female shrimp. There is technology that alleviates suffering by the billions every year, like what like electrical stunning that renders animals unconscious and then they die but without feeling any pain.
Speaker 9: Okay, so you're electrocuting shrimp that's right.
Speaker 3: This is a sex thing, right, This is a key thing. This is something you just No, it's not a sex thing.
Speaker 9: Sure, this doesn't sound like the charity pictures I'm used to. It's all part of a new movement called effective altruism.
Speaker 11: Effect of altruism is a way of looking at ethics as a big math problem.
Speaker 3: And that's bad.
Speaker 11: I think it's bad because I don't think that you can actually do ethics like math, because there's not just a bunch of things that you can put numbers on. There's a bunch of different kinds of values that are all in the mix.
Speaker 9: Okay, please don't be offended by this. Are you just saying this because you're bad at math?
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 9: Effective altruisms are like the Young Sheldons of the charity world, using logic to find the most cost efficient ways to relieve suffering, which sometimes means malaria prevention, but other times it leads to.
Speaker 10: This, with a single dollar, we can improve the lives of over two thousand shrimp and zero humans.
Speaker 9: That is correct, But the philosophy of effective altruism pretty much boils down to this your feelings.
Speaker 10: Traditionally, philanthropy has focused on what feels warm and fussy, and shrimp are not very relatable.
Speaker 9: They look like shit, and traditional charities make us feel like what helping? But the math doesn't always add up. Where's all that AFPCA money going?
Speaker 3: Sarah mcgonglin's Third Summer House.
Speaker 11: I think it's also good to look at charities, and that's the question, how much of the money that you get are you actually using to make the world a better places. But I don't think that there's anything wrong with giving to stuff that is right in my backyard and that I care about and have like an emotional relationship, you know, like places that I love or species that I love.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 9: So for shrimp, shrimp, Yeah, the Shrimp Welfare Project is a stupid effective altruism charity that focuses on electric cuting shrimp.
Speaker 3: And they don't put their eyes out.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 6: They still kill shrimp by the Trillians.
Speaker 1: They just suffer a.
Speaker 11: Bit less, Okay, I mean honestly, like, if it does make shrimp feel less pain, then hey, that's great, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: What so this is okay?
Speaker 1: The shrimp thing is okay.
Speaker 11: I do actually think that we should care about the suffering of non humans and that might include shrimp.
Speaker 3: Serious shrimp.
Speaker 10: There's a think tank that looked at all the behaviors that animals like shrimp show, and they show anxiety, they learn from experience, and they tend to wounds if they're hurt.
Speaker 3: There's now evidence that wait experience.
Speaker 6: Did he just make shrimp warm and fuzzy?
Speaker 3: Maybe they do deserve.
Speaker 9: Peace and happiness on the way to becoming my scampy. The more I listened to Andrea's the more inspired I got. I needed to get out there and make a difference.
Speaker 1: My friends didn't care about ecology.
Speaker 3: Hey you want to talk about shrimp today.
Speaker 9: Hey, you have five minutes to say the shrimp have annoying, isn't it.
Speaker 6: You're fright, You're fright.
Speaker 9: This wasn't enough. I was only saving a few shrimp at a time, but I had an idea to reach millions of people and make them see that shrimp deserve our love.
Speaker 10: It's up linger.
Speaker 13: Every hour, fifty million shrimp are harvested on shrimp farms Painful Swim. Last year, two point seven billion shrimp were given a helping hand. I'm Ryan Chang, and for the past twenty minutes since I found out there exist I've been supporting the shrimp Welfare project.
Speaker 4: From a nice bert that ac kills you.
Speaker 6: Oh, we still eat them.
Speaker 9: We just electrocute them first, and we don't gouge eyes out. You're welcome, big guy.
Speaker 3: Big Agaga. Every running down the show, they'll go away. Welcome back to the rot. My guest tonight represents Massachusetts four District in Congress. Please welcome. Democratic Congressman Jake Auchincloss.
Speaker 1: Welcome. Thankful.
Speaker 3: You've got a big week.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 3: There's this big, beautiful bill that's coming through Congress right now. Republicans have put it up and you just got through a twenty seven and a half marathon markup session. Is that right? You're part of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
Speaker 12: Jurisdiction over healthcare and energy, so we had twenty seven straight hours with the Republicans.
Speaker 3: How is that? I feel like I've done that in Pennsylvania before. I go to a lot of these rallies, and I can feel.
Speaker 1: It they're planning backfired.
Speaker 12: They put the healthcare portion of the bill in the middle of the night because they didn't want Americans to see them cutting healthcare from thirteen million patients. The problem is that means they had to talk about healthcare policy at three or four am, and no one's at their best. So I had one Texas Republican trying to explain why firing the scientists at the FDA who's in charge of making sure your eye drops don't blind you is not a win for government efficiency, and that set the tone for their defense of a bill that I think of as the Brad Smith Bill. Brad Smith's a billionaire, a donor to Trump, and was appointed to run healthcare for doche which is convenient for Brad Smith because he's his business sells health care services to Medicare and Medicaid. Now, Brad Smith, he loves this bill because he's a billionaire, so he's getting the tax cut, and he's running Medicare and Medicaid, so he gets to decide which Americans are deserving of healthcare or not while he sells to the very agency that is regulating and reimbursing his own business. Brad Smith thinks this bill is terrific. I think Americans are going to think that tax cuts for billionaires should not be a prop for healthcare.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that seems to be the first way it seems to be the response people have to begin with. But there's a lot of conversation about these medicaid cuts, right, and first of all, we'll see where this bill lands. But the Republicans are pushing back. They're saying why not, why are we getting medicaid to the topic. They're saying, able body, no dependence. What's wrong with making some concessions? There is there a place in the middle. You guys can can find some common ground there. Why can't you give into that request?
Speaker 12: There actually are fraud and abuse elements of that bill that were bipartisan that were put in last Congress. There were elements of that bill, for example, that took on health insurance corporations that were price gouging taxpayers and raising copays for description drugs. Now Elon Musk tweeted about that bill in December and it got pulled down by Speaker Johnson. They're trying to stuff it back in here. So, of course, there are elements that we can agree on. What we can agree on is making it more expensive to access at home care if you're a senior citizen, making it so that if you're a parent raising a kid with an intellectual disability, you now have to send your child to an institution rather than get at home care from a personal care attendant. If you have insurance to your employer, you're now going to pay higher premiums and for what to avoid having to raise the top tax rate from thirty seven to thirty nine percent for the richest Americans.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you think there are their ears on the other side that are willing to hear this? I mean, Josh Holly has been pushing back against some of these cuts. I mean these are affecting people in red and blue districts. A. I mean that will play well perhaps in the Daily shows audience here, but in red states will that play We've.
Speaker 12: Been having this fight for fifteen years. Democrats try to expand healthcare coverage, Publicans try to take it back, and repeatedly what we have seen, whether it's twenty eighteen, whether it's twenty twenty, when Democrats campaign on expanding healthcare coverage, Democrats win.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Talk to me about the TikTok ban or you were a cosponsored the TikTok ban. It passed in both houses, signed into law by President Biden, and now Trump is refusing to enact it. Is this a constitutional crisis. Are we there?
Speaker 12: He's definitely breaking the law as he is on a number of other fronts.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, he likes to do that. We called that a weekday.
Speaker 12: I approached this bill though not as a member of Congress, but as a dad. You've got a son, yes, I do. I got three kids, five, three, and two years old. How much are you dreading that first smartphone?
Speaker 3: I mean just the price alone, because I'm a very cheap father. But yeah, the idea of giving that into a child, it's like a loaded weapon.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 12: These social media corporations are attention fracking our kids. They're rewiring our kids' brains. They are turning our children into a product, and they need to pay for it. We have to band smartphones in schools. We've got to tax their digital advertising revenue two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year and use it to fix what they have broken. And this TikTok di investment is the first step to taken back family time from screen time.
Speaker 3: I mean, I like this idea at attention tax is a it's a fascinating idea. I guess I'm curious specifically with the TikTok ban. This does feel like a moment where Donald Trump has been told to do something and is not doing it. There's an executive order, it's passed through Congress. You could make the argument, this is a constitutional crisis. Is this the constitutional crisis? I don't know, but you are. You're in Congress right now. The president is not willing to follow the laws of Congress and the previous presidents. What can you do? What should you do?
Speaker 1: There's two paths here. One is the legal path.
Speaker 12: So a bunch of attorney's general across the states are going to be suing Apple and Android and the other platforms that host TikTok to say that they have to follow the law by not hosting TikTok, even if Donald Trump won't. The second, though, is power. We got to take back power in Congress because Republicans view themselves as a rubber stamp. They think they're courtiers to the court at mar A Lago. Democrats need to win the mid terms and reinstate the checks and balances that our democracy relies upon.
Speaker 9: It.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do we say, though, But what do you say to someone who's like, all right, this is a constitutional crisis. What do we need to do? I hope Apple sues somebody, and we'll wait a year and a half till we get some power. Like Okay, that sounds like a plan, But I mean, shouldn't you impeach the president? Isn't there something you can do now and through a governmental process to stop a president from from clearly creating a putting us in this constitutional moment?
Speaker 12: The Speaker of the House is nickname is Maga, Mike Johnson. They are never bringing articles of impeachment to the House floor. Democrats have to recognize that Americans know that we are against Donald Trump. We have made that crystal clear. If we're gonna win back power, if we're gonna govern from a place of trust with the American people, we have to show people what we are for, not just what we are against.
Speaker 3: What is that I've heard? I've even like, there's this abundance agenda people are talking about. Reclin was on Ezra Kleine, Derek Thompson were on the show talking about this so well. I know you've talked about this. What is this vision for for for a future Democratic party that people can get behind.
Speaker 1: It's about doing better than your parents.
Speaker 12: That's the core promise in the United States is We want people to do well, and we want their kids to do even better. Right now, what's holding back the next generation from doing better is the price of housing, the costs of energy, which is constricting the economy for the middle class, and excellence in education. Democrats have to have a bold agenda. We're going to get one on one tutoring to every student in America. The school closures during the pandemic, the school closures were a catastrophe. The school closures were a catastrophe, and candidly, Democrats own a lot of that.
Speaker 1: We can fix it. Though.
Speaker 12: In my own district, the city of Fall River, biggest city in my district, voted for Donald Trump. I saw four hundred first graders get one on one tutoring fifteen minutes a day, high quality remote. They gained six months of reading and math instruction just from fifteen minutes a day. One teacher called it quote a gift. Every American student should get that gift in this country. Yeah, we have to build five million homes in this country. Baby boomers they bought a house for like fourteen dollars in the nineteen seventies and it's appreciated, and that's great, But the next generation can't even get their hand on the bottom run of the ladder because they can't buy a house.
Speaker 1: Let's build five million homes in this country.
Speaker 12: Let's build five Hoover dams with a nuclear power, and let's unleash this economy for the middle class.
Speaker 3: Where do you see that? Is there an example you see that happening?
Speaker 11: Ye?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 3: Where what is the city that is building at a pace and in the way that you think democrats could emulate.
Speaker 12: Austin, Texas changed its zoning and land use code in twenty twenty two. They built fifty thousand apartments in two years. Rents went down by twenty percent.
Speaker 3: And then Joe Rogan and Elon Musk moved it. And now people are fleeing.
Speaker 12: And if people think that are democrats, you guys can't cut regulations.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 12: In Cambridge, Massachusetts, city that eighty eight percent of voters went for Kamala Harris, Cambridge, Massachusetts just passed the zoning Reform Bill one hundred pages. Ninety of those pages were just deleting old rules so to make it easier to build missing middle housing, the kind of housing that twenty somethings, thirty somethings can buy and get a start in life.
Speaker 3: So you think we should look to Texas for some of these answers.
Speaker 12: Texas has been building more homes than Newsom's California has.
Speaker 3: Interesting now, when you look at the Democratic Party are they are they focusing too much on messaging right now? Or they need to be the party of ideas, party of ideas. There's no shortage of ambition, there's no shortage of Polsters. What there is a shortage of is big, bold ideas that show Americans that we've got an agenda that makes kids do better than their parents. So you want me to do better than my parents.
Speaker 1: I want your son to do better than you.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's that's a nice way of putting it in to be fair. The ego in me, I'd be I'd be fine if my son did just as good as me. I think that that would be. Let's aim for that and see if we can find some consensus there. All right, Congressman Jake auka Claus, we're gonna be take a quick, a little break, be right back after that. Thank you. That's our job now. But before you go, are you not seeing yourself representative in your local government? Because you're under one hundred years old. Then take matters into your own hands and be the leader you've been complaining for. Go to the link below to learn more from our friends at headcount about how you can actually run for office. We look forward to your unsolicited text asking for campaign donations now here it is your moment of said.
Speaker 2: Take Cutter for example, they don't share any of those famlues.
Speaker 1: Do I trust Cutter? Of course not.
Speaker 11: They will each and liver with some lava beans and a nice hyompty.
Speaker 6: Does that mean I want to be enemies with Cutter?
Speaker 13: No? Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 3: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and.
Speaker 1: Stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 3: Paramount Podcasts