Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: From the heart where innovation, money and power. Collie in Silicon Valley Nbon This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 3: And Caroline head of Blueberg's World take laughters into you right next to our Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 4: This isbg Technology.
Speaker 3: Coming up full coverage ahead of the stage of artificial intelligence. As we sit down with Open AI COO Brad Lightcap. You do not want to miss it.
Speaker 5: Pass will take a deep dive into Apple's robot ambitions as the company eyes the next big thing after scrapping its car ambitions detailed to come and paramounted inches closer to a deal to merge with David Ellison's Skydance Media.
Speaker 6: We'll bring you the latest and so much more throughout this app.
Speaker 3: We're also going to be more going more broadly as to what the space is like in the chip sector and ultimately where we are in this AI hype or reality cycle, how you can still be committing money towards it. So please to welcome into the show. Miniso Otto, head of TMT Research a Visible Alpha and we'll give us your research deep dive at the moment Menissa, because are you feeling in this environment with benchmarks near record highs, with another seventy percent added to and video over the course of this year alone, that this is still a bye, that the earnings still show growth potential.
Speaker 7: First of all, thank you so much for having me on. It's so great to be here and talk about technology with the two of you. To real privilege. I mean, Nvidio the story of the past twelve months, no doubt. I mean, based on visible Alpha consensus, we've seen our upward revisions from last January come up over two hundred billion dollars. So we're in an interesting inflection point. Are we going to see Earning's estimates be revised up yet another two hundred billion dollars? You know, when I look at previous cycles where we have new products like the iPhone or the Internet, you know, a totally new type of cycle coming into the mix, how big would it be? You know? I think in the beginning of those types of cycles, we can be cautious conservative. Then looking back five years looking back on those it's like, WHOA, I thought I thought my numbers were crazy, but actually they were pretty conservative. You know, I think these are the questions that investors are asking themselves right now, and that's what we're watching in our data.
Speaker 5: They get asked the questions on a more than daily basis. The newsflow around AI for every company, every layer of the AI stack is astonishing. Google is the example this morning, right and the reporting is that they're looking at search and thinking, do we charge a premium AI powered search on a subscription basis? How much of a domain do you find search to be? In this wild AI story?
Speaker 7: Google has owned the search space for as long as I can remember. They dominate, They generate incredible revenues from that. It's been probably the story of the past fifteen years in terms of what their growth has been. Like, what will be really compelling.
Speaker 4: Will be to.
Speaker 7: See what Microsoft does with their search. Are they going to start to nip at some of that market share? Are they going to start to integrate AI in a way that isn't charging a fee? I mean, what's the business model there? Why would users pay a fee for AI when there's other options out there? And I think, you know, there was an upgrade yesterday with Dolly, and you know, the market came out and showed the capabilities of open AI are just remarkable. I'm excited to stick around and listen to the open ai interview. I mean, this is it's incredible.
Speaker 6: What they're doing.
Speaker 5: What is it you'd want to learn about open ai when you're listening to the interview?
Speaker 7: Oh, I mean I would love to hear what they're doing, what their new upgrades are about, where they see it going next, what dynamics also consumer?
Speaker 6: Where are you more focused both?
Speaker 7: I mean, it's all about right now. I think the foundation of AI has been all about it's essentially been funded by cloud service providers, yes, and taking it from cloud service providers, getting it into enterprises and really not only generating productivity and efficiency gains, making organizations more intelligent, but also finding new business models, new ways of thinking about the world. I mean, this is what the iPhone did so remarkably well. Can AI do the same thing? This is what we're all waiting for. What new apps are going to come out, what's going to change our lives?
Speaker 4: And it feels as.
Speaker 3: Though it's a lot of organic growth that you're focusing on. And it's interesting that we come off this day of a report in Reuters that maybe a bit of inorganic growth could still be done in this irregulatory environment. If the reports are true that Alphabet is eyeing HubSpot for example, do you think that sort of a.
Speaker 6: Deal can get done.
Speaker 3: Are you expecting any more consolidation of such large players.
Speaker 4: It's a tough one.
Speaker 7: It's really difficult to answer and to address questions on deals. I mean, it's such a dynamic markets. It's a good market right now, probably for m and A.
Speaker 6: For Alcoa.
Speaker 3: Hias more likely that we seem to be happening with Microsoft rather than actually doing deals.
Speaker 7: It'll be interesting. Yeah, I think I would just pivot on that and say, you know, I think we we really need to look at the dynamics in the market, see where the trends are going to lead us and where users are actually gonna drive revenues. And if that's going to be the case, then you know, who knows what could be on the horizon.
Speaker 5: Later today, Caroline and I will be upstairs at Bloomberg Intelligences AI Summit, our research arm And when I think about Generator today, I.
Speaker 4: Always feel like we covered it in reverse.
Speaker 5: We went straight to the consumer facing chatbot and not really how we got there along the way until GtC when Jensen one walks into the middle of the show and floor and praises Michael Dell and says, if you need.
Speaker 4: What did you make of that?
Speaker 7: I mean, this was new, This was absolutely new. I mean he kind of called out. He's like, who else could make better end to end solutions for enterprises at a large scale than Mike Dell and the whole You could almost feel everybody go whoa, you know, And I thought that was really interesting because that's the next big leg that needs to come into AI is for there to be real strategic thought into how organizations enterprises are going to really embrace generative AI and what it's going to actually do for the This is very transformative. It's not like you just flick a light switch and there's an app and suddenly you have generative AI.
Speaker 6: I mean a lot.
Speaker 7: Needs to happen in an organization. They need to de silo their data, they need to train it, it needs to be in the cloud, there needs to be analytics around it. There's so much that actually needs to happen, and it'll be fascinating to see what role companies like Dell play in this arena.
Speaker 5: And now we're talking about infrastructure and supply Chain Malicerado, head of TMT Research at Visible Alpha, Thank you. Meanwhile, I want to bring an update to our audience on what's happening in Taiwan following the largest earthquake there in twenty five years. While the full extent of the damage from the latest quake isn't known, the latest figures our ten people have died and more than one thousand have been injured. Companies have also provided updates on employee safety in their operations. Taiwan Semiconductor resumed production less than twenty four hours after evacuating staff and halting operations. The company said there has been no damage to its most critical chipmaking equipment. It expects full operations at its main plant to be fully recovered by later today. Some of the island's tech firms are still assessing the damage from the earthquake, which leveled dozens of buildings on its eastern side. We will continue to monitor for the latest headline and bring them to you as they cross the Bloomberg Carrot.
Speaker 3: More coming up now we're returning our attention to Disney. It was an extensive proxy battle. Bobiga has defeated. From a board perspective, the billionaire activist investor Nelson Peltz. But actually who's one out here we discussed as the Bloomberg technology the votes. They're in months of spending millions to win over investors, both retail and institutional, but the battling opponents in the press has now become a reality that Bobbiga has emerged victorious in the proxy battle with Nelson Peltz from tryan more broadly, we want to bring in Crystal c for more because ultimately, with a thirty percent let's call it rally in Disney shares for the course of this year, many would say Nelson Peltz has ended up winning out no matter what financially, But has this changed the tone of Disney going forward?
Speaker 8: So actually, paltzas said in some interview that he's rather be rich than right, and I think he's somewhat achieved that goal. Like you said, the stocks are thirty percent, and he first came to the stock in twenty twenty three. This is actually his second go around with Disney. So the couple of things that he's pushing for at Disney is going to become the things to watch and some of the things our iger had personally expressed kind of share it sentiment of for on thing is succession, who is going to succeed Eiger? And that had come up again and again. And the other thing is streaming and how they achieved profitability when it comes to streaming and achieve Netflix like prof profitability, that's also come up, right, So those are the things that investor is going to watch.
Speaker 9: From now on.
Speaker 5: The pressure is on Eiger still because he promised the profitability by the end of twenty twenty four. And when you have a proxy battle, it's that it's a battle, and often in the media where you go out and say, oh, well, I'm doing this and everything's great. The pressure is also on Eiger because one of his you call it adversary, Elon Musk, is still talking about this on social media and it's an interesting dynamic, that's right.
Speaker 8: So Elon, I think it's someone pelts Us called a personal friend, and he obviously thinks very highly of Elon. Elon even tweeted that he thinks pelt should be on the Disney board, and interestingly, with so much retail influence, he actually tweeted after the retail voting deadline was closed. So I actually don't think it achieved very much when it comes to way good point pulling votes for Pelts, but he Elon is definitely interested in this situation and whether he's going to go against Aiger. We don't see that. I don't think there is any particular beef between the two men, but definitely an interesting dynamic with all the very high profile and just write all around a sub situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's interesting that at the end of the day, sources told us what ninety four percent of the vote went to Tiger's reelection and Disney got all their nomine nominees. In Bloomber's crystal z e terrific reporting.
Speaker 4: All week long.
Speaker 3: Pigment a business planning platform used by companies like Klan, a, Figma, Postmark. But it's raised another one hundred and forty five million dollars. This is a Series D funding round. It was led by Iconic Growth, but other investors like Felix Capital still on board with it. And it's just ten months after the latest financing. Peas to welcome Pigment co founder and co c Eleanor Crespo joining us now and you have some big VC names behind, you have more money raised, and the first question is always what do you do with it. Where are you deploying the money?
Speaker 10: Yeah, thank you for having me on the show. So I think it's very simple. We have been very lucky actually to do this fundraising. We didn't need that money. We had an amazing traction lesture that led to that fundraising. We did three x in our revenue and we managed to send amazing customers. What we'll do is very simple is a freedom to innovate. We launched about one hundred product innovation lesture with Pigment, and we plan to keep innovating.
Speaker 6: Very very fast with AI.
Speaker 10: Of course, I think we discuss AI, but with many of the things that we make Pigments successful in the future.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's talk about that innovation and freedom to do so. Product innovation has been bringing basic general of AI to make your product easier to use people using across different parts of their businesses. How is generative AI helping the strategic planning so much more?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 10: So, generative AI actually has an amazing application at Pigment. I think you know, an implication like pigment, back office application like Pigment use generative AI in general to democratize the access to data.
Speaker 6: At the end of the day. Our customers.
Speaker 10: What they want is to give access to data to as many decision maker as possible in the company. With the revolution of generative AI, it is actually being made possible because you can ask any question in natural language. To give you an example, our customers today with pigment can ask questions such as what was my p and l leastre in the US, give me my growth number in natural language and this is a phenomenal.
Speaker 6: Revolution for companies.
Speaker 4: Illinois ed in New York.
Speaker 5: You talked about three x in revenue, and I think that last time you were on the show in June of last year, you also said that when you raise the funds, you didn't really need them. So talk to me what's changed over the last nine months or so and what the company has been up to.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, I think it's the exact same story. He actually run. From our internal investors. We had a lot of interest in the past two months from external investors, given that we manage actually to go up market. We signed incredible customers Fortune five hundred customers in the legs of Unilever merk We sent customers in the legs of data dog Kaks. Since in the tech industry, and I think you know, at the end of the day, what is always very important for US is to have the freedom to execute. And Iconic actually decided to double down alongside IP, Meritech and Green Oaks to actually tell us, look, we here and we will let you innovate and double down in the US and in Europe at the pace that we need to go.
Speaker 3: At the pace because you're expanding geographically, You're entering North America and now you say most of your company's revenue is coming from this region. Where are the pain points?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Is it the talent that you need on board to be able to ensure that you're basically meeting clients where there.
Speaker 10: Are So I think for us, one of the area of expansion is different here keep being the US and fifty percent of our revenue today comes from the US and this is our number one market. So for us, the big challenge is to keep doubling down, keep signing fourteen five hundred companies, and as I said, probably the most important is to build this product that satisfies this customer base. And this is where we are going to spend most of our time and effort in the next few years. To create this incredible platform.
Speaker 6: One of the other challenges for.
Speaker 10: Us is that we are creating this multi product platform because it's a platform that can serve any team in a company. The challenge is to are any decision vicker from sales to supplay chain, to finance to HR.
Speaker 6: This is what we're building.
Speaker 5: Pigman co founder co CEO Eleanor Crespo. Great to have you back on the show. Thank you so much. There is other funding news. Chip startups Seema Ai just raise seventy million dollars in any round led by Maverick Capital. The goal to develop chips designed to speed up AI applications within everyday consumer devices from cameras to cars.
Speaker 4: Here for more is the seamer.
Speaker 5: Ai CEO Krishna Rangase Christna same question that Caro led with, what do you use that money for?
Speaker 11: We are building and building up on the moment and we have on our Gen one product and as you've talked about our a Gen one product focused on computer vision solving problems and robotics, automotive, medical and smart visions systems. We are extending that platform now into moving into generative AI, generalive AI applications and we are now going to be using the capital to accelerate the development for generally AI.
Speaker 4: Christian.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about the technology then, Are we talk SEC or system on chip technology or is this basically a data center chip that's more targeted at training neural networks.
Speaker 11: No, we are focused on a different market space, and the cloud and the consumer experience in AI has been well built out. We are focused on the edge market. We're focused on things that touches the physical world robotics, industrial automation, automotive and applications that really day to day affect our lives. And that's really the focus for us. And we are also not in the training business. We're in the inference business, where effectively people can deploy applications on our chips directly.
Speaker 5: That's exactly where I want to go next. It's an interesting choice. AMD did something similar with their AI Accelerator, right. They came out with the mi I three hundred generation and said, we're mostly focused on inference because that's where the world is now. The training has been done, So what kinds of companies are you seeking to partner with that have already done the training?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 11: So, I think this is almost every massive edge AI company and so you could take the top five leaders in robotics, industrial automation, or in automotive or in the medical market.
Speaker 6: We are engaged with the.
Speaker 11: Top five customers in these market segments globally, and we are scaling today. We're engaged with fifty customers and in the next few years will be increasing our reach two thousand plus customers.
Speaker 3: When it comes to your fundraise, you're saying this is about scaling too. We heard similar from pigment is that you need to spend more on talent. Is it that you need to spend more on infrastructure? Is where are some of the amounts that you need to be doubling down in from a cost perspective.
Speaker 11: All of the abower and so I think no doubts.
Speaker 6: Talent and R and D.
Speaker 11: Talent in AI is really something we have to aggressively keep up with. I mean, the technology is changing at such a fast pace. We really need to scale and make sure that we are leading the pack, if you will, right.
Speaker 6: So that's one area for investment.
Speaker 11: The second one is go to my and AI adoption is really still nascent in the edge market, the cloud and the consumer market.
Speaker 4: Is really adopted it quite well.
Speaker 11: The edge market is going to be the next gold rush for AI, and this is going to take over the next ten years. And reaching these customers, and unlike the cloud and the consumer market, we are reaching tens of thousands of customers and so reaching them, enabling the technology and making it really, really easy to use is really where we're going to apply the capital.
Speaker 3: I just want to have you articulate, paint a picture of what therefore I'm going to be able to do through the power of your technology in ten years time that I just can't do.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 11: Every single thing we touch in our life will have AI, and much like we interact with human beings, we'd be able to interact in context of visuals, touch, feel, and really be able to really interact the technology in such a way that we have never imagined before. And today systems are unimodeal in that you either do computer vision, or you do audio, or you do text. You're going to see merged platforms, which is a new trend called multimodal genitive AI, where you're going to now be able to do everything you do with a human being, but now with every appliance that's going to be around you.
Speaker 5: Krishner, if you phone Tesla to pitch your technology for the Optimist program.
Speaker 11: We are reaching out to very many customers and we are leading the industry in what we are doing today in three vectors. We are leading the technology roadmap in the performance we offer on our AIML platform. We're also leading in terms of power efficiency, which is another really critical problem to the edge. And the third one is easy fuse and this is what we need to do to increase the breadth of what we do. So we're engaged with a lot of customers today and like you said, I think today fifty but we really have very big ambitions for the company and one day we want to be the de facto leader servicing ten thousand plus customers globally.
Speaker 3: Seventy million is going to be going a long way for that CMII CEO question. It's great to have some time with you. Thank you for coming in today. Welcome back to Bluemo Technology.
Speaker 6: I'm Carolin Hyde.
Speaker 5: And one of the names that has a big balance sheet might be less sensitive to rates is Apple. Apple interesting up a full percentage point in the session. It too has had some interesting moves tick by tick over the last two sessions or so. One report from Bloomberg is that Apple's next big thing is a robot that follows you around the house here with the scoop who else Bluemos, Mark German. This was an interesting one. There is technology parallels for this latest initiative out of Project Titan, But just explain what we're talking about here, a robot that follows you around.
Speaker 1: The house here, Ed, Yes, thank you so much for having me. You're You're absolutely right. If you think about it, a self driving car essentially is a robot. But the big difference between a self driving car that roams around city streets and one that roams around your house is the liability, and it's the safety. If the self driving car stops working properly on the road, maybe you get into a car accident and potentially kill someone. Unfortunately, if your self driving robot crashes into a wall in your home, kind of so what right? And so it's similar technology, but the stakes are so much lower. The necessity to be accurate is so much lower. It is an easier thing to pull off. And it feels like the timing is right for Apple to be exploring this. If you think about the backdrop of when the Apple car project was canceled that, the newfound struggles being faced by Tesla, the profitability issues being faced by Lucid and Rivian and any ev maker you can think of. And then at the same time you're sort of seeing the technology industry shift to aipowered hardware. You're seeing talk about humanoid robots. So it does makes sense for Apple to be exploring at least this shift.
Speaker 3: Although I robot hasn't exactly had a wondrous time post it's unfolding of an Amazon acquisition. Mark I'm interested is to where this gets built within Apple because they've been saying that moving around a lot of the ultimate talent to go into an AI area and general to AI. But who bills this within Apple?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's a great question. So the artificial intelligence organization in Apple under John gen Andrea, he used to run Search and was a senior executive at Google before joining Apple in twenty eighteen, some of the underlying AI and robotics work is going on within his organization. And then Apple has a hardware engineering group dedicated to home devices that's run by a guy named Matt Costello, who was actually the chief operating officer at Beats until that company was famously acquired by Apple a decade ago, and so this is a cross company and effort between those two groups. Primarily. Now the other thing I'm want to call out, in addition to the home robot, Apple is very in depthly exploring the addition of robotics to other types of devices. So one thing that they've been working on, actually secretly for about three years, four years at this point, is a tabletop robot. It's essentially a gigantic iPad on a robotic arm, and it's actually pretty cool. So you could be on a FaceTime call and the display thinks to robotic arm would move to mimic the head movements like a nod or your head turning or a laugh or whatnot going on on the other side of the FaceTime call. So it feels a bit more like a telepresence environment. So certainly robotics I believe wholeheartedly this is a new big area for Apple moving forward. They're starting to throw a little resources at it, and I think that's going to grow exponentially over the past or over the next several years. One thing to note is although hundreds and hundreds of people were laid off from the Apple car project and no longer have.
Speaker 6: A and Apple.
Speaker 1: At least a few teams from that car project were actually repurposed for some of this AI and robotics work. So clearly an intent aior focus right now, albeit extraordinarily early in the product development process, When.
Speaker 3: You believe something wholeheartedly, Mark the world believes something wholeheartedly, We thank you very much. Indeed, Mark German, of course our key Apple correspondent. Coming up, we're going to have a deep dive for you. COO of Open AI Bradicap joining us for a discussion wide ranging the state of enterprise AI adoption as well as consumer AI adoption and of course some of the areas of focus for them legal on one side, but also opportunities on the next.
Speaker 6: This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 5: From Bloomberg Television and radio audiences worldwide. Open AI's top of mind across the world of technology. That includes for Elon Musk, who posted on x overnight that his e V company, Tesla, is having to boost compensation to ward off approaches for its AI talent. Those approaches, claims mask include open AI. Ethan Knight, a member of Tesla's team working on computer vision for FSD, was approached by open Ai, so Musk moved him to his own AI company, Xai. Let's get to the open ai side of the story. Let's talk about talent. Let's talk about what's happening in the world of artificial intelligence. Brad lightcap open ai coo joins us here in New York City. There's no accusation that anything wrong was done, but it highlights an interesting point. Right now, there is a lot being done on the training of prior generation models, future generation models. There is a finite amount of talent. Give the open ai side of this equation, how much of a premium are you having to pay out? I don't know if it's salary or stark or engineering freedom to get the top names.
Speaker 9: Well, thank you Caroline for having me.
Speaker 12: It's great to be with you. Look, this is a competitive market, for sure. It's an amazing place that we're at because there's a few number of people that can really make such a dramatic impact in this field.
Speaker 9: But we try and pull people into our mission.
Speaker 12: And I think that's historically what's been our strength is people want to build in the place where we're pushing the frontier, the furthest and also where we really think about the impact of the technology, both on a societal level, and then also want to apply at an industry level.
Speaker 5: How big is open AI now, how many employees and where are they?
Speaker 9: We're about twelve hundred people.
Speaker 12: Twelve hundred, yes, mostly in San Francisco, but also in London and Dublin and increasingly other places in the.
Speaker 5: World, increasingly out the places in the world. The reporting was that Japan is the next frontier for you. What's the strategy there and where you choose I don't know what that.
Speaker 4: You call it opening a new market, the way you choose to have operations.
Speaker 12: Well, we're very fortunate, we have a very global base of demand, so we want to show up where our customers are. We think this is going to be a global transformation. We feel a lot of pull from places like Japan and Asia broadly, and so we'll show up where we feel like we need to be.
Speaker 3: And let's talk about ways show up from an industry perspective. You're here in New York talking to partners. We understand Sam and the teams have been in Hollywood discussing how SOUR can be used, but ultimately how you can have a working relationship with companies and industries that think they're going to be uphended taught us about how those conversations going, for example with Hollywood and publications.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, we take a very unique perspective here. We really model open AI as a partnership's company, and we think this transformation is going to be very broad based, and so we're one company.
Speaker 9: We can't do everything ourselves.
Speaker 12: Being able to find ways to partner with industry, with countries, with specific companies, that's really important to our mission and the way that we think about bringing technology to the world. By way of recent example, we work really closely actually with the publishing industry right now on ways that we can deploy AI into publishing to make the quality of journalism better, to make the quality of reader experiences better. We've heard nothing but really actually a lot of enthusiasm from that industry, and so we're always looking at ways that we can partner with industry. I expect a lot more from us in the future on this front, and sort of a great example of where we really are excited about the impact that we can make a media.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that media companies over in Europe, for example, seem to have got with that quite quickly. Actual Spring are a key deal that you sort of birthed early days and actual Spring and therefore scenes for businesses side, perhaps a little bit more blue links within chat GPT. New York Times ain't on that discussion point right now. How is that legal fight and indeed behind the scenes discussion going with those sorts of companies.
Speaker 12: Well, I can't comment on the New York Times case specifically other than to say we think it's without merit. But the overwhelming majority of what we hear from the publishing industry is actually quite positive. There's a high level of excitement everywhere about what these tools can do, both to unlock better journalism, to give readers more access to information, to enhance the way that people engage with content, so the way that we actually think about even the fundamental business of information engagement and consumption. These things are all really possible now with language models and increasingly with multimodel models too. So we think we're just starting to scratch the surface on that opportunity.
Speaker 9: We've got a lot more to share there soon.
Speaker 4: But stay tuned.
Speaker 3: You're being positive, being optimistic, of course you are. What's interesting is I come away from meetings where Hollywood is deeply anxious. People in my industry are deeply anxious. Goodness, everyone where the job is trying to work out how they adopt AI. And also there's this question that is ongoing of open versus closed. You're going for another legal fight at the moment, Loamusk has dragged you into it and wants you to rename yourself. Where do you sit on the closed versts open? How much more open do you have to become?
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, look, I think we really focus just on where we can deploy the technollogy and what's the best way to do that. And at the end of the day, we're going to focus on where our customers are and the way that they want to deploy it.
Speaker 9: We work with thousands of enterprises across the world.
Speaker 12: We spend a lot of time working with those enterprises on ways that we can configure the technology specific to their use case, specific to their stack, and we think that the easiest way to do that is the way that we serve it. But that's not to say that, you know, we wouldn't look at other ways in the future. We really ultimately want to be where we think the best place to.
Speaker 9: Deploy the technology is.
Speaker 5: Going to be Problemomberg television and radio audience worldwide. We're in New York City speaking to open Ai COO Brad Lightcap. I want to learn more about where open ai sits in its growth, its day to day operations. You know, you just said thousands of enterprises we came to know you because of the explosive response to chat GPT, and that was principally in the context of the consumer facing chatbot. But it sounds very much like growth now is focused on that enterprise arrangement license of technology. Can you give me proportions the rate of growth for those two pillars.
Speaker 12: Well, we've seen tremendous growth in the enterprise. Twenty four is going to be the year of adoption for AI in the enterprise. We felt really like twenty three was the year that people just started to wrap their head around what was possible with AI in the enterprise. But increasingly the market is pulling us toward real applications that are delivering real business results and a very broad focus on AI enablement.
Speaker 9: So how do we think.
Speaker 12: About bringing AI both to our operations but also to our workforces and then also to new product experiences that we can deliver to customers, and we work with plenty of companies that are doing all three of those things at the same time. We think that's very possible and it's having really dramatic bottom line impact today. So this is what we think the pull is going to be, and we're ready to support.
Speaker 4: Brady the COO.
Speaker 5: So I'm assuming you're responsible for also some of the purse strings involved in open AI's finances. Compute must be a really considerable cost right now, and with that the energy consideration as well.
Speaker 4: Are you making enough revenue from.
Speaker 5: This enterprise business to keep the lights on when you factor in the compute costs involved?
Speaker 9: We are yes.
Speaker 12: We think that we have well, first of all, a very diversified business and so we serve one hundreds of millions of users with our chatchapet product, and many of those users are paying users. Of course, we serve now over six hundred thousand individual users in the enterprise with Chatchaputy enterprise, and so we're just seeing tremendous momentum. We're very early innings on this and so we look at it as hey, this is the start of something, and ultimately our priority is just to be able to deliver the best intelligence, whether it's in the enterprise or to individuals, that's the most useful, that drives the biggest business impact, Cara.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking back to the conversation we had the other day with Daniel Amaday from Anthropic and what she explained, Brad was the relationship of a WS and bedrock. They're getting a lot of business through that. You have a quite similar and actually a pre existing situation with Microsoft and Azure.
Speaker 4: Are you able to.
Speaker 5: Explain how much new business comes through that conduit of the Microsoft relationship and what we're probably existing asual enterprise customers.
Speaker 12: We're really fortunate to have Microsoft as a partner. They've been an amazing partner with us for a long time. We've increasingly looked at the world as ways that we can bring Open an Eye technology to life together. We're very fortunate that they're they're offering our models through their Azure Open an Eye service. But we have an independent business, so we serve we serve customers independently of Microsoft.
Speaker 4: And is that one bigger than the Microsoft avenue.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Look, we you know, we're we're it's it's it's fluid between the two, but we really are focused on what's best for for for the companies we work with, and we're very fortunate to be able to diversify the surfaces in which we offer our products. We think the demand for this technology is massive, and so being a smaller company obviously having a partner that can help bring the technology to scale is really really advantageous.
Speaker 9: For us, and we're excited to support them in the future.
Speaker 3: It's an extraordinary, very novel kind of partnership, and in fact, the whole of AI is birthing these kind of frenomy relationships.
Speaker 6: I just think of also Aqua.
Speaker 3: Hiers deals that seem to be going now. Microsoft has just seemingly aquihied the whole of inflection. What did you make of that particular move, particularly when suddenly you've got what the co founder of DeepMind coming in to be the head of consumer AI at Microsoft, And ultimately you put out a response to that being like congratulations, But how did that make you feel as the previous partner of choice for Microsoft.
Speaker 9: Well, we're excited for them.
Speaker 12: We congratulate in the STAFFA and Karen and the whole team, and we work very closely with Microsoft, and so we think that's going to be a major advantage for a partnership as well.
Speaker 9: We're focused on what we can.
Speaker 12: Control on the open eye side, which for us right now is really thinking about the next wave of the technology and thinking about ways that that wave is going to start to enable businesses. And the more we can think about that problem together, the better we'll all be.
Speaker 5: A lot of CEOs I speak to some of them, are your customers say their technology agnostic right now? In other ways they might use GPT or another foundation model. They might also be building their own in parallel. And when we told our audience who are coming on the show, a lot of people wanted to get your thoughts on the Palanteer relationship. It's an interesting case study. They seem to be one of the beneficiaries of the enterprise investment in AI, or at least the data analytics side.
Speaker 4: What's it like working with Alex.
Speaker 12: Kap Yeah, well, we actually work with a bunch of partners that help us bring the technology to life, and there's so many ways to deploy the technology in the enterprise. That's what's kind of amazing about this technology is it's not just one function in the enterprise or one part of the enterprise.
Speaker 4: Stack.
Speaker 12: It's so diverse and it's so broad based, and so we work with with with with many partners to bring that to life, and we'll continue to look for partners to work with to help us do that. But yeah, no, we you know, look, we're we're excited with with with the way Polunteers has been enabling their customers on top of our technology. Uh, and we'll continue to support them going forward.
Speaker 5: Brad every day acrosses my desk, you know, I've done quite a lot of repulicing on Sam's chip ambitions as well. There's some relationship going on between the UAE and Open AI fundraising or technology partnerships. Can you clarify what's going on there and why you need to raise funds from somewhere like that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, look, I won't comment specifically on that.
Speaker 12: We broadly, though, believe that there's just not enough total supply in the world and that of.
Speaker 4: AI accelerates, specifically.
Speaker 12: AI accelerators, and broadly that the supply chain will need to adapt to what we think is going to be this highly inflected and nearly exponential.
Speaker 9: Demand and the next ten years.
Speaker 12: And so we spend a lot of time thinking about ways that we can make sure that that demand is met. Part of it is just being able to bring our models to bear, but upstream of that is obviously making sure that the actual underlying hardware and infrastructure exists to be able to build the systems that we need to ultimately serve that demand. And so you know, we think a lot about it, and you know, our hope there is that the supply chain starts to think about that the same way we do.
Speaker 3: Brad, your mantra, your manifesto. Your focus is to build artificial general intelligence for the good of humanity, and I speak to a lot of humans who are terrified. Can you encapsulate how you can without regulation being there in place yet and the ease sort of putting the gauntlet out there. You're doing all of this without disrupting too much, too quickly, too hard.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, look, central to our mission is to make sure that we bring the technology in a way that's safe and that creates broad benefit. It's really encoded into how open AI was structured, and it is actually the thing that we spend our time thinking about how to deliver in real world results today. And so we're very optimistic and I can understand where the fear comes from things are moving very fast, even for us at the center of it sometimes is dizzying. But look, our perspective is that this is an enabling technology. At its core, it's going to make businesses more efficient, it can make people more productive, it can be dramatically inflecting in how people learn, how people can understand information, and so we think that that has a very broadly positive effect on the world, and the world that we wake up to ten years from now will be one that we look back on, you know, and really are are excited to be able to go build today and you know works, that's really.
Speaker 9: What we wake up every day and want to go do.
Speaker 3: So we want to thank you being in the house with us. The CEO of open Ai, Brad Lightcap there joining us in New York.
Speaker 6: We thank him.
Speaker 3: Paramount is getting closer to a deal to merge with Skydance. It's a production company founded by independent producer David Ellison, her son of Larry Sherry Redstone, is controlling shareholder of Paramount, and has reached a tentative agreement to sell her steak to Skydance. Now both parties have even agreed on the broad framework of a deal to combine and we'll use a thirty day window of exclusive talks to iron out the details all of this according to sources ed what's so interesting is when you deep dive on the market reaction positive and this is saying there are more questions than answer right now, and.
Speaker 5: I am more confused about the future of Paramount than I And I know that's a cop out, but that is literally a blooming intelligence rights raises more questions answers. One of the concerns is this deal was done between voting right shareholders. What about all the non voting right shareholders is very complicated.
Speaker 3: Where's their value? An emerged entity? But what this does do is remain Paramount as a whole and ultimately also trading company, rather than being split up as Apollo was potentially suggesting and just taking bits.
Speaker 4: Of the asset, keeping the library.
Speaker 3: That's right, but real deal's real offers on the table. That's a key takeaway. Meanwhile, that does it for this addition of Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Boy, well that was quite a conversation with open Ai.
Speaker 5: Check it out recap on the podcast, Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg platforms.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Technology