Speaker 1: I'm a homegirl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't lie about that, right, Lauren can't even.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, what's up. It's Laura l Rosa. This is the Latest with Lauren l Rosa. This is your daily dig into pop culture, news, everything that's going down, but the conversations that shake the room. Baby, y'all know that I'm the homeground. I know it's a bit about everything and everybody. Now we're gonna check in real, real quick, because I want to get to the fact that I was outside in court in the rain telling baby PJ or here, how you feeling, Taylor.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling gay feeling. I don't like this weather out here.
Speaker 1: But you know, so anytime I do these diddy updates from court, even if I'm in here with Taylor recording the podcast at the Breakfast Club studio, I wanted to give this like, I feel like one of the things that I miss about being in a newsroom is sometimes you gotta do running gun style, which is running gun style means you're on the street, you're reporting, you doing what you need to do, You're figuring it out, whether it doesn't matter nothing, matters. You're getting the story in.
Speaker 2: That is it.
Speaker 1: And that's exactly what I did yesterday. So today I am feeling rejuvenated because I fell asleep in the midst of watching the Met Gala last night.
Speaker 2: But I'm not tired. I'm excited.
Speaker 3: I you're not consistency, willing your drive to you know you're gonna go.
Speaker 1: Get the facts. It's no way I feel like it did the court. So so Sean Colmb's Diddy.
Speaker 2: Is on trial right now. His trial was actually happening.
Speaker 1: Literally, if I was to walk maybe like ten fifteen minutes from where I am majority of my day because we're here at the Breakfast Club studio a lot of the day, I would be remissed. I would not be the person I say I am if I did not end up there at least even if outside so't Oh my god, it wasn't hectic because it was the first day and a lot of times and I knew this. I knew that a lot of times people don't show up for jury selection because jury selection is very It's like sitting in the boring class that you hate.
Speaker 2: It's very long. We were there from nine to like six, six thirty. They start right away.
Speaker 3: It's like, I'm assuming it's like almost now like Jerry duty where you're just waiting. Yes, it feels like Drey duty, which is crazy because what you're watching is people arrived to Dreey duty for the second time. So by the time a jury selection is happening, the jury duty like checking has already happened. They've sent you a questionnaire of things that you have to answer and stuff like that to be on the jury. But this is your first time reporting back and now you know you like.
Speaker 2: Now you're in it.
Speaker 1: So like they're going through the questionnaire, so we feel like we're on Dery duty. We as the media that are watching it, because you're literally watching them go through all the drawers, like we went through over one hundred people yesterday. And when I say we, I mean me the other media all in several there shout out to a lot of the media that I met, I met Lisa Ever yesterday, I met Ava.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get what outlet is Eva from hold on.
Speaker 1: I want to look, I might mess up my lighting, but I met I met so many journalists yesterday that I was like, Yo, this is so fire. Ava Pittman from News Nation. I met her yesterday. She was like my roll dog. Yesterday we was out Me and Ava yesterday was like because they weren't trying to let me into the court, like the actual courtroom where Diddy was yesterday and we was there. Oh yeah, he was there. Diddy is very involved in his case, Like but what okay, so.
Speaker 3: What's he doing there?
Speaker 2: Like I'm just saying, is there because he you know, I mean he could.
Speaker 1: Say no to Yeah, Diddy is fighting for his life right now.
Speaker 2: Girl, I.
Speaker 1: Mean you so it doesn't work where he did, He's just like no in a judge, it's like okay, it's more so like you.
Speaker 2: Know, we'll get into it. But I met a lot of people. It was kind of hectic. It weren't.
Speaker 1: It wasn't hectic as far as like the lines were crazy or anything like it will get once the witness testimony start. But it was hectic in the sense of like everything was so fast, and it was my first day, so I didn't even know how to navigate like content, so I didn't put too much pressure on myself.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh yo, look, I'm going to just attend.
Speaker 1: I'm going to step out midway through whatever I'm hearing or watching update the people, and then I'll go back in there and just like be there for the rest of the day just to fill it out. So it's hectic because you don't really know what you're walking into.
Speaker 2: Ain't in text forever, it's all. It literally was my whole day.
Speaker 1: So I woke up yesterday for breakfast club at what three forty five four o'clock guy here, did the full day here, and then I went to the Diddy trialun toil like six thirty.
Speaker 2: Made it home by like eight nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: Tried to I watched the met Gala, try to prep some those for the day, and I fell asleep. Yeah, so it's hectic as far as that. It just like takes it consumes your whole day. But I'm feeling good. I'm feeling really informed, and I like having a front row like aspect into things.
Speaker 2: I think that is the easiest to report on.
Speaker 1: I stopped in my uber because I realized on the way in there that I wasn't approved. Of course, you can't take a cel phone in unless your actual court inside news, and I'm going to figure out how to get that because I need that.
Speaker 2: But so I stopped at FedEx and got.
Speaker 1: You know, just this Cambridge notebook, which I'm going to be taking notesen for the remainder of trial. I'm won't need some more because yesterday I took notes up until like this point yesterday, just from yesterday, and I only got this left, and we.
Speaker 2: Got eight weeks of trial left. Because you just.
Speaker 1: Never know what's going to make sense at what point in time. And I have everything listed by like drawer number. I put the date on everything.
Speaker 3: She show like, yeah, say eight to ten pages back, front and back.
Speaker 2: Yeah anymore, yeah, yeah, eight to ten pages.
Speaker 1: And it's very detailed because you just never know, like something might come up later where you're like, oh, I made notes on that, and then you go back. It's really like a case study, which it's so weird because when I was in high school, my mom used to always tell me to go to school for law and.
Speaker 2: I can do anything I wanted with that.
Speaker 1: I was a leegual administrative assistant at my votech school, so I've always enjoyed like case studies. That's why I was like a marketing major, because you get to dive into cases and break things down and analyze it.
Speaker 2: But yesterday, I was sitting in that courtroom and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, I do enjoy this. By like four o'clock I was, I was like, nothing out. I was falling asleep. But yeah, so I'm good. I'm in a good space. I want to get into the latest and I've been trying to figure out, because we will be talking about this on the Breakfast Club of course as well, how to Angley hear for the podcast listeners and viewers, so that is different, so that they get a little bit more. And I think the best thing is to just kind of open it up, like I would love to know what you want to know from me, Like what are your thoughts when you think of when you think of Diddy? You know in court for the first time you asked me, was he there? Yes, he was there, very involved in his case.
Speaker 3: Okay, when you say involved as in just watching who they're picking, I mean when I say involved, I mean so Diddy was in.
Speaker 2: He was in a blue crew.
Speaker 1: Neck like sweater that he pulled over, a white button up blue slacks. He had reading glasses heat that he would put on and take off. As a drawer was coming in. You could see him pulling up the drawers profile on the tablet and just reading through different things. As the drawers were like, you know, different things were revealed, like, for instance, there was one drawer that got on a stand and said, Okay, so the last time I talked to y'all, you know, because once you're sequestered as a drawer, you can't talk to anybody about the case, not even your wife, not even your husband. Right, So there's a quester that can't talk to their significant others or anybody in their family, or anybody about the fact that they're on this ditty case. One man got up and this man was like, listen, since the last time I saw y'all. And I answered that note she didn't told y'all that nobody knows I'm here, and like, I have no you know, conflicting things in relation to this case. He said, my wife found out that I was on this case, and she came to me. His wife is an attorney and said, I was one of the attorneys that was on the case when puff had the incident back at Howard. Remember that party that was a part of a documentary where people got stampeded and then people passed away. When was that It was a long, long, long, long time ago. Like when I said it was a long time ago, it was a long time ago. But it was the center of one of the Diddy documentaries I has. You know, there's been all these documentaries over the last year, and it basically made that documentary made him out to be a monster who just has no regard for human life and you know, all these things. So the man was like, look, my wife came to me and said, hey, I know you're on the Diddy trial. He revealed how he knew, which also told on another witness. He said, I wanted to found out right.
Speaker 2: One of the.
Speaker 1: Witnesses told their husband, I don't like him. He's a horrible person. When I prosecuted or when I litigated that whole party incident where people were stampeded, when people got ran over and they passed away, I didn't like his regard for human life. I thought he was a horrible person. And he specifically said his actions were disgusting. He said, my wife found him. And this is why I take notes, because I wrote down the quotes he said, because the judge asked him. Because because basically he was like, look, I'm here and I'm telling you all the truth, so I.
Speaker 2: Could still be a durer.
Speaker 1: I can still do this like it's not going to impact the way I think about this case at all.
Speaker 2: But the judge had to dig deeper.
Speaker 1: The judge asked him, well, what did your wife say, because he said, my wife said negative things when she found out that I was on his case. So he said, my wife found out. My wife found his behavior to be disturbing and she does not like him. That drawer potential drawer was excused, and I said, excuse that means that you're not able to because so the prosecutors weren't really tripping off that. The judge was like, oh, the judge is very leaning, he's super fair. He was like, what do y'all think. Mark Agnefilio, who was did his attorney, was like, no, for him to say my wife does not like him, that is a very definite feeling. And I'm just nervous that that may have spilled over run to the husband. No, not happening. But I was thinking, Yo, how small is the world and how crazy is that? And I really was looking at puff and I'm like, I wonder how he feels to have that come back up again after all these years and not just in the documentary, but you're sitting in front of this man whose wife prosecuted you at that time, and he was young. This was a long time ago when that happened, prosecuted you at that time, you had a party. People were not protected in a way that they should have been, and people died because of that. And now you're sitting here and it's come back up again while you're fighting for your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and good for him for being honest one, Like, I feel like a lot of people aren't honest.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting that he even says something. Yeah. And in the courtroom, when did he walked out?
Speaker 1: I mean just seeing him, because I've seen Diddy in person a few times and you know, things of that nature, but like just seeing him when he walked out into the court, it like instantly it was just like, oh wow, this is really real. He looks he very much gray hair, some black, but very much gray hair. He's a lot skinnier. He looks like puffed from like the nineties where he was like skinny and like slim. I'm not as skinny though, but a lot skinnier. You can almost you can catch how you can catch his height more because he's slimmer. I feel like when he was like, you know, filed out a little bit, you didn't really he didn't come off as tall a little bit more.
Speaker 2: But like even when he.
Speaker 1: Was sitting next to his attorneys, I'm like, you can catch his height a bit more because his body is slimmed down. His face is very like gray pale, because he's been you know, behind bars all this time. He just I mean, he looks his age for sure. I want to say he looks stressed, but I don't even think it's that. I just think it's just different than how I'm used to seeing him. Yeah, And I think for me, it really hit me.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: I'm like, reporting on this is one thing, but to see him walk into that courtroom and to see how he looks, I was like, man, and I just started thinking about all these things, and I actually wrote him down because I was like, in real time, I really want to like be able to like document, not that it's about me at all, but just be able to document like what I was feeling and seeing him.
Speaker 2: And one of the.
Speaker 1: Things I thought about is like I wonder if he because he's in New York, he's in this trial we're here all day long. His daughter Chance, his daughter Chase. Is he chased a chance? I believe he's Chase Chance, hold on Chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: His daughter Chance is literally right up the street at NYU. She goes to NYU. His other kids are you know, La, I was thinking about the girls. I was thinking about so much because I was looking around to say any family was There was no one that I recognized. And I was like, I wonder if he feels like he felt like I wonder after all of the success and after all of these heights, if he feels like he's failed because he is sitting here devoting all of his day to this.
Speaker 2: And you could tell that he was nervous.
Speaker 3: At one point I mentioned his twins birthdays and he missed that and yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And his rapport where his attorneys were it was amazing. I was shocked to see it. He was laughing with them, and you know, he was very When I say involved, I mean like when certain things would happen on the stand, like when this guy revealed that his wife was one of the attorneys who litigated in that whole like party incident where Puff was like, you know what I mean, all that the whole all of us was like because it was like, oh, shoot, what are coincident said? This has coming back up right now? Right even then when when that happened, I saw him smile and I and I feel like because because there was another time too, they kept bringing up the HBCU HBCU, the HBO documentary that was like horrible that that document tore him to shreds. I saw him look over at his attorney and like and like nod his head at that point too.
Speaker 2: And his attorney made it, probably made it. He probably probably prepped him saying like they're going to bring this up.
Speaker 1: I don't think that they knew that that HBO documentary would come up, because the attorney, Mark Agnafilio, did a really good job of like pressing a judge on, like, look when we because they do the drawer, the drawer interviews separately, so we go, we went through each of those people. It was so many damn people separately, right, and then they bring them back in a group, so that his attorney kept saying to the judge when the group comes in, basically, I don't want to poison their mind. I don't want to bring up that HBO documententary in front of a group of drawers who might not have seen it, because then we got to go through what it talked about all of that stuff. But I think there are certain points that they're going to get to in the case that the and he mentioned this to that the HBO dot is a part of number one, how they were going to strike that witness like and strike means like object to the witness being on a jelry. But just bringing up like how social media and the media has impacted this case, which was also a big point too. Majority of these drawers even if they had never because there were a lot of people who I believe them too, because you know, just I just I believe them who had never heard of puff because of the life that they lived, their older you know, they never There was like an older white lady who had no idea, she thought, Michael, because in the in the questionnaire, they ask you are people in places right? So they want I guess they want to identify how close a celebrity you are one of.
Speaker 2: There was this older white lady. She was such a god bless her heart.
Speaker 1: She came on to staying and they were asking her because she identified that she might have known one of the people on the people in places list. She was talking about Michael B. Jordan, and she said, is that the basketball player Michael Jordan. She really had no idea. I mean, that's different, But she said that she really didn't know. But because a lot of them admitted to that since they had received the jury questioning and for about the case that they'll be on, they'd begin to see headlines that they weren't really paying attention to before because they had to tell like they had to let the judge know that that was a thing because if had come back up in court, you could you know what I mean, Like, well that lady who was a durer who then went told her husband she's gonna get in trouble. So yeah, I was thinking about all that stuff. Like, Yo, his time and his days are so different. Now, can you retell what he's gonna try for?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: So, currently he is being charged on five different counts. The counts include charges spanning from sex trafficking, rocketeer, conspiracy, and transporting to engage in prostitution.
Speaker 2: There's arson that is a conversation and Puff has played.
Speaker 1: Not guilty to all of these charges, and he also turned down to plea deal as well. And one of the things that they discuss and I'm gonna leave it here. I'm not gonna get into this. They mentioned in the court yesterday that Cassie video probably will not be.
Speaker 2: Used in court.
Speaker 3: They're probably gonna use the Castie video. But I have a question about like did they they did pay like some jerorsale, No, no, no, not yet.
Speaker 1: So what they do is is so no, no drawers will picked yesterday. It'll take a week. It'll take a week because they want to go through everybody, like they have a whole pool of people that potentially are able to be drawors. They go through everybody, they get, they get they ask tons of questions because they want to know your motive, like why do you think you could do this? Do you have any conflicting ties to the case, any conflicting ties to puff?
Speaker 2: Are you a fan or not?
Speaker 1: Can you make a sound decision if you know if all of the above, or can you not. It gives Diddy's team a chance to be like, nah, we don't want this drawer because of ABC and d It gives the prosecutors a chance to be like, nah, we don't want this joy because of ABC and D. It also gives you a chance to kind of like think about how you speak to your audience or to the jeury because they do these group interviews where they find out who you are, where you're from, do you have spouses, what music did you listen to?
Speaker 2: Like that whole thing.
Speaker 1: It's really like a It's almost like when you do a brand identity kit for a business, Like you get to really get into the crevices of it, and then you pick those twelve people and then that's who you're speaking to the whole time. So Monday to twelfth, the judge said that that's playing Monday to twelfth. He wants opening statements to start, so this will be going on all week because they got a narrow it down.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's ideal or the people you saw it was a good combination of different races.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: It was very much a different combination of different races, different ages, different Like I was even like there were some black girls on the in the selection that I was like, oh, they definitely did the fans it's no way. And then they got on like the group inner and they were like, I don't even listen to music like, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: You don't think something are lying though, I.
Speaker 1: Think you have to know who he is for sure, but to say that you're a fan where it's like, oh my god, Oh my god, Diddy, oh my god. And there was somebody in the courthouse to first go around when I was not in the actual court, I was in the overflow room. I was told that somebody was in there with a free puff shirt on, and they made them turning around.
Speaker 2: Because the public can join too. The public can just come while they so they went pro the juror they just no people.
Speaker 1: I met a woman yesterday who works for the MTA who She's not a journalist or anything like that. She's just a person of the public who just wanted to come. You know, she has her own reasons, but she just wanted to come. So we're gonna be breaking this down more y'all as the week's go on. I just kind of wanted to give y'all a gist of what my day was like yesterday, all the stuff I saw, tweet me and ask me questions. I feel like with this did he trial, I don't just want to like throw everything at you guys. I really want to be able to answer your question from my handed Danny notebook. Tweet me at Laura L. The Roe's Instagram Laura L. Rosa Low Riders, Thank y'all for being right here with me. I was out there and rain yesterday. Okay, well and it's gonna keep raining, but I'm not out there until Friday again. So yeah, it's the latest with Lauryna Rosa. I'm your host, Laurren l Rosa, the homegirl that knows a bit about everything and everybody. We didn't get to all the segments today because we just had to, like, you know, do what we do. Eli's here, he's on the pod.
Speaker 2: Say hi to the podcast, Say hi to the podcast.
Speaker 3: You hear now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, you hear this? O y Eli, y'all.
Speaker 1: I'm hopping out of here because I gotta go finish Breakfast Club. I'll see you guys in my next episode.