Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, it is Tuesday, March tenth, and they were real estates, superstars, playboys, and now a jury says predators as well.
Speaker 2: With that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. The Alexander Brothers. This has been a salacious story, a lot of people keeping an eye on but it and to be quite no other way to put it. Real estate stars to rapists is what this jury has said.
Speaker 3: That is exactly what happened. These three brothers, the Alexander brothers. Two of them are twins, thirty eight year old Orrin and Alan and then thirty nine year old tw All three men convicted of ten criminal counts. We're talking about sex trafficking, sexual exploitation of a minor. Their parents were in the court room watching all three of their sons convicted, just hearing guilty, guilty, guilty, over and over in a Manhattan courtroom yesterday. But yes, this is a massive fall from the top of their game. Orn and Tow where two of the nation's most successful real estate brokers they did luxury homes, were talking. Their clients were Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Lindsay Lohan. So these were well known, prominent men who were good looking, and yes, a lot of folks knew them as playboys, but it was apparently so much more than that.
Speaker 2: And this has been a very much in the headlines over the past couple of years and has followed a familiar pattern. Let me ask if this sounds familiar, high profile.
Speaker 4: Rich playboys who start to get civil lawsuits.
Speaker 2: Civil lawsuits last couple of years started popping up from women saying they were sexually assaulted.
Speaker 4: So what happens?
Speaker 2: Federal authorities start looking into it, which leads to a criminal case, which leads to this trial, which leads to convictions. And yes, it leads to them having Mark Agnifilo as their attorney. So it sounds wild robes, but yes, their attorney took on this case, which is absolutely follows a very similar pattern to the one he defended with Sean Diddy Kombs.
Speaker 3: You know it's I was so interested because obviously Mark Agnifilo knows how to try and defend at least these types of cases. Because yes, there were a lot of similar allegations, including videos and multiple victims.
Speaker 5: In total, more than sixty.
Speaker 3: Women told federal prosecutors that they were raped by one or more of these brothers. Sixty women, eleven of them testified during this five week trial. They talk about how they met these brothers at nightclubs, at parties, even on dating apps, and what would happen is these brothers, because as you mentioned, rich Power had celebrities all around them, they would invite these women to all expense paid getaways to the Hamptons, to Aspen, to the Caribbean, to cruises, to be on their ships. And so yes, these women would accept. But what would happen is, they said they would have the brothers would spike their drinks, they would be incapacitated, and they would be attacked and in many cases, according to prosecutors, they even showed one of these videos to the jurors. The brothers would video themselves basically attacking incapacitated women, women who were drugged to take photos of them. So there was evidence, there were text messages, there were captions on these photos that were just horrific to read, and this was all played out for the jury.
Speaker 5: It's a tough thing to defend.
Speaker 2: It is the problem that agne Philo had here that he maybe didn't necessarily have as badly in the Ditty case. I hate to just do direct comparisons. But we did just go through this with Diddy. The problem was the victims were not problematic in this case. He attacked a lot of people in the Diddy trial because they did have some questionable backgrounds. Their motives were questionable as well. When you have this many women come forward. Out of the eleven you mentioned, I think only two of them have civil suits, so you can't just say, hey, all here for the money. I think even one of them was the daughter of a billionaire, so you can't even make an argument that she's doing some kind of cash grab. But these were women also robes that weren't We're talking about drugging and raping and women not coming back and coming back and coming back because they wanted to be a part of a lifestyle. This is a different, different situation. It's hard to get in front of this jury as many This was not on television, so we dependent on the reporting from people who were in the room robes.
Speaker 4: This is not a situation where you can take.
Speaker 2: Attack sixty women and say all of y'all are just dumping on these guys. It was just you cannot impune all of these women the way he was able to in the.
Speaker 5: Other case, you make such a good point.
Speaker 3: Some of the women even said, because that was part of what the defense tried to tell the jurors, saying, this is a cash grab, this is a money grab. These women just wanted to enjoy the lifestyle and then they wanted to be paid because they regretted what they did, and that oftentimes is what we hear from defense attorneys. This is obviously a very specific case, but as you pointed out, the two women, only two women who have the civil lawsuits who testified basically said yeah, I don't even want the money. I don't need the money, and one of them, as the daughter of a billionaire, could really back that up. But they were successful women who weren't trying to just get money from the Alexander brothers. They wanted justice and so yes to actually, and several of them put their names out there, put their faces out there.
Speaker 5: They weren't.
Speaker 3: You know, oftentimes we have victims and certain folks, certainly women who testify about being sexually assaulted, especially as miners, their identities are protected. Several of the women said, yeah, this is who I am. I don't want anything more than justice in this case, and it looks like yesterday they got it, and these brothers are now looking at potentially going to jail for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 5: I was just one of them is married. I believe Alin is married.
Speaker 3: So his wife and his parents in the courtroom listening to all that testimony seeing the videos, I cannot imagine.
Speaker 2: And these are still young men there in their late thirties now, but this behavior that they've been convicted of now has gone back at least ten years more, almost twenty years more than cases, two decades in some cases. So these guys were really young guys at the time with a lot of money, a lot of power, meaning they rove imagine a We've known guys like this in New York, dudes running around influx of cash, twenty five years old. We've run into these guys. There was a I don't know these guys at all, but I know these guys. You know what I mean exactly this idea, And I'm not saying that all these guys are criminals, but I'm saying there's a lifestyle attached to young guys having money, jet set.
Speaker 4: Life, and that is what is described.
Speaker 2: So they're in their twenties, they said this was an open secret, is the way they put it. Yes, that everyone, there's been rumblings about these guys for a decade plus.
Speaker 3: And look, but here's the difference. Are you a womanizer or are you a predator? And that was the question, and that was what was at stake at trial, and Mark Acnavillo and the defense team was trying to paint a picture that yes, they are obnoxious, Yes they are womanizers, Yes they are playboys, but all of this sex was consensual. However, the drugs, the pictures, the videos, the testimony. There was one bit of testimony that really stood out to me. One of the victims, one of the women, testified that she woke up and saw one of the brothers standing over her naked and she said, I don't want to have sex with you, and she said he laughed and looked at.
Speaker 5: Her and said you already did that?
Speaker 4: Hit me? Well, look, Agnaphillo, I think we've seen him do this before.
Speaker 2: He Yeah, my client is a jerky not nice people, not.
Speaker 4: A nice guy.
Speaker 2: But yes, did all this, but it doesn't mean he's a criminal. Did all this stuff. He's a to your point, same pattern and it just didn't work for them this time. Obviously they will appeal this. Did you see when is the sentencing August?
Speaker 5: It's in August.
Speaker 3: So, but they are looking at spending the rest of their lives behind bars. And look, we heard from both sides who came out after the verdict talking about their reaction to what the jury decided. But we heard from the US attorney who prosecuted this case, and look, I don't think you can describe it any other way. He said, these are chilling, reprehensible, unacceptable acts. And he talked about the victims and he commended them for their courage. It is courageous to sit there and to recount something that is humiliating, that is devastating, to come forward and to testify. But he said, they bravely overcame the pain of reliving the abuses inflicted upon them and as a result, prevented others from becoming victims.
Speaker 5: And that's the point.
Speaker 3: So, especially when we see cases like this where women do come forward, and maybe they timidly came forward through a few civil lawsuits, then were basically most certainly emboldened by hearing other women come forward and tell their stories, they also step forward, agreed to testify. And now you have all three brothers convicted and most likely going to prison for the rest of their lives. When we come back, we will tell you what marc agnif Fillo had to say to the waiting press after the verdicts.
Speaker 2: All right, we continue here on Amy and TJ on this Tuesday morning. Word came down yesterday, high profile, pretty scandalous. I think you could say this was a tabloid heavy story as well, but certainly a mainstream story. These superstar real estate brothers, the Alexander brothers, have now been found guilty on all charges they were facing in federal court having to do with sex trafficking, sex with a minor, sexual assault and what a lot of people say was a pattern over the past two decades, almost of them not just womanizing, but being sexual predators, drugging women and sexually assaulting them. We're talking about sixty women, they say, sixty women at least were victims of these guys. And look, Margangnafello did what he does. He needs to take I don't know how he has time to do anything. The cases he has robes, going from Diddy to Mangioni's he's been handling this case. He doesn't have a moment. I don't know what that dude's life is like.
Speaker 5: Right, We think we're busy, you see him.
Speaker 3: It seems like weekly defending incredibly high profile clients with incredibly complicated cases where their lives are literally on the line. The pressure of that is hard to even get my head around. But Mark Agnifilo came out after everything we heard and all of what we certainly read about on this salacious trial, and he told this reporters, we believe in our client's innocence and we're not going to stop fighting until we prevail, and we believe that one day we will.
Speaker 5: Prevail one day.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, Sentencing is August sixth, As we mentioned, all three brothers facing life in prison for these convictions, and they have been in prison, by the way, since they were arrested in twenty twenty four in Miami, so they've been behind bars for at least the past or rounding up two years. But looks like they're not getting out anytime soon, and certainly they will appeal, but it just look Agnifhilo has his work cutout for him what he's doing. But this case was just so heavily weighed in the prosecution's favor when you see not just the number of women coming forward, but as you pointed out, the women who didn't have an agenda, there was no other They couldn't poke enough holes or any holes. Truly in a lot of these witnesses who came forward with unbelievable tales, and to hear you just when we came back to just kind of go over what these brothers were convicted of doing for more than two decades, it makes me feel sick as a woman to think that they were able to continue this for.
Speaker 5: Two years because it's scary to step forward.
Speaker 3: That just shows you how frightened these women were or how powerful these men seemed to not stop them before.
Speaker 5: Two decades of this type.
Speaker 3: Of abuse is just alarming, and hopefully these types of cases prevent that type of thing from happening again.
Speaker 2: It's still happening. Money power pressure, I mean, how can you That's what it is? Money power and the press. Sure, I guess these women and how do you prove how do you prove all these shapes because they didn't know there was another victim out there when they became a victim, right and they weren't even sure of what happened to them. We have seen cases like this when it comes to drugs, when it comes to money, when it comes to power, when it comes to influence, when it comes to yes, fame, to a certain degree, these guys had. What are you going to come forward and say, I think this very powerful rich guy with all these powerful rich friends raped me.
Speaker 3: I think he did, and I think the police will believe me.
Speaker 5: Probably not.
Speaker 3: No, you know, it's just what you're right that is such a good point. And look, I also think there's the element of these women going on these luxury vacations. You think somebody who could afford to fly me to Aspen and to happy be around all these important, pretty people who were all rich and famous. Maybe I imagined it. Maybe I agreed to take the drugs. Maybe it's my fault because I drank too much, or I agreed to take this drug, or I.
Speaker 5: Put myself in this position.
Speaker 3: I chose to go on this yacht with I chose to get on this plane with them. So yes, there is a moment where you probably say that was on me. I shouldn't have gone.
Speaker 2: But what as a as a defense, maybe a couple women you could question a couple women. Maybe you could say, yes, they just wanted the vacation. A couple victims were there hopes. We're talking about eleven testified and sixty are the counts for how many You can't say there are sixty women in the world who just decided to go after these guys because they got pissed because they didn't want a relationship with them. That is that's a tough defense road. It is tough themount.
Speaker 3: And in addition to know that some of these women, at least two of them testified they were miners when this happened, that is a whole other level of responsibility.
Speaker 4: And those two points.
Speaker 2: So the miner was the ugliest part of this trial probably and the other part we were just talking about who has the power, who is willing to what's the lady's name from Tracy Tudor form million dollar listening. She just came out in the past week or two also with a lawsuit saying she was sexually assaulted. Again, this is somebody you look at and you're not thinking, Okay, she wants her payday with these study need money, were right, So that kind of stuff. But the video robe that they played this in court, they didn't play it for the court room to see. But the jury saw it, Robes. This is the way they described this video, was it or I think it was Orange in this video with a seventeen year old, and I describe he sets up the laptop with a certain way, with a certain angle, and then you see him essentially lifting up someone's limp legs because she's passed out.
Speaker 3: How is that not a crime? I mean, right there, right there, how is that anything but a guilty.
Speaker 2: Verd We we don't even need to well, we're going to keep talking about it's how do you defend seventeen?
Speaker 4: That's just tough.
Speaker 2: And I think that moment, that video, that story, Robes, I guess, probably gets at the heart of just how heinous some of the things we heard were.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the hubris of those men for videoing their own criminal acts and celebrating it on the video. It was undeniable. The jury agreed, and yes, the Alexander brothers almost certainly will be going to prison for the rest of their life. And with that, everyone, thank you for listening to us. We always appreciate you. I'm Amy Roboch alongside TJ.
Speaker 5: Holmes. We will talk to you soon.