Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Dodgers blanked the yank the Yankees. They hope that they get the opportunity to blank the Yankees. The Dodgers blank the Mets, and show hey, Tani hits another postseason home run and it sounded like this.
Speaker 3: The pitch is hit high in the air right field, hooking toward the pall, and this ball.
Speaker 2: Is fair and gone.
Speaker 3: Show hey old Toni unloads a three run home run here on the top of the eighth inning, his second of the postseason, makes it seven nothing.
Speaker 2: LA, no doubt her. The only doubt was if it was going to stay fair. We just had John Smoltz on. He said from their vantage point, it was fair. Am five to seventy. LA Sports Dodgers Radio Network with the call. On this day. In two thousand and four, David Ortiz hit a walk off against the Yankees that was a two on homer in the twelfth inning. Boston won game for the Alcs. That started the great comeback there and the guy who was part of that comeback, Dave Roberts, was with the Red Sox, had the big stolen base against Marianna Rivera later in the series, and Roberts was asked about postseason baseball in New York.
Speaker 4: You are a part of some pretty important LCS history in New York.
Speaker 5: What's it like to be back in New York in October?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it feels great. It's you know, you live to play, you know, in October baseball, and certainly this market is always fun. I love beating that team across town. I think everyone on this side of town does too. And yeah, it's it's it's a great, it's it's great. You know, there's just really no better place. And I'd rather be no place in the world than right here in New York right now.
Speaker 2: And it was magical because I was doing Sports Center and I saw Yankee players, Red Sox players, Red Sox players congratulating the Yankees, and I was shocked at that. So they hadn't completed the sweep, but they were already congratulating them. Some two players were congratulating the Yankees about going to the World Series. And then you had some magic and then it continued.
Speaker 5: Yes, Mark, the David Robert, the David the Dave Roberts stolen base is that same.
Speaker 2: Game, oh okay against Rivera Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And Jorge Posada threw He threw that ball perfect the second base and Roberts just barely beat it.
Speaker 2: Yes, one of the biggest stolen bases in postseason history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pauline, I'm just watching the replay. I don't think I remembered how close that throw was. I would have yelled it out.
Speaker 2: At Yankee Stadium. Yeah. Yeah, uh, just just every game after that. I saw Spike Lee in the stands along the first baseline every game I was doing Sports Center, and then you know, we in between breaks on Sports Center, and he would say, who do you like? And I said, every game after that, so it's three to one. I said, I like the Red Sox, and he goes, I'd see him the next game, who do you like? I like the Red Sox. And then you know, we got to the game seven and he goes, I'm not even going to ask you who you like. I said, I like the Red Sox, And uh, just what a wild, wild time that was, because you're thinking, man, the Red Sox are never going to do this, They're gonna They're getting embarrassed here, they're getting roughed up, they're getting crushed, they're getting embarrassed. And then big Poppy's home run, what that meant when he hit it, and just you talk about riding a wave of emotion, momentum, and it just didn't feel like they were ever going to stop. Like we got to the World Series and it was so much an anticlimactic moment. It was a boring World Series. It was a sweep and I don't think we ever thought the Cardinals could win, and that proved to be true. But I just remember, you talk about something that's tangible, like momentum is like you can't really put your hands on it, grab it, put your arms around it, but you know it's there. And then you saw it and you saw it in a team that then started to believe. And I remember when the Dodgers when Kurt Gibson hit that home run, And you want to talk about a team that was already an underdog against the big bad Oakland A's and nobody thought that they could win this series. They didn't have any real stars. They had Oral Herscheizer and then Gibby Homer's and then you see, you can just see it, feel it, sense it that it's there now all of a sudden, It's like when Tyson got hit by buster Douglas and he loses his mouthpiece, like he was never the same after that because they took away his invincibility. Who's the female UFC fighter, Ronda Rousey when she got knocked out, it had left, she was done. She would never have that invincibility. Connor McGregor. All of a sudden, you get your ass kicked and then you're never the same. We don't look at you the same. And that's what it felt like with the Yankees. That's what it felt like with the Oakland A's against the Dodgers. It's like, we're not afraid of you, and we're gonna put you on your heels. We're gonna make you start to think. Because Oakland that felt like a foregone conclusion. That team was loaded, and you just had that momentum. And there have been moments through history that I've been able to witness where you go, oh my god, it just changed, like that just changed. Ohio State against Miami National Title Game, like you could feel the momentum all of a sudden change. Willis mcgaye, he gets his knee blown out all of a sudden, It's like, oh my god, you could just sense Ohio State started to believe that they could beat one of the more talented teams we've seen in college football history. But that's the magic of sports, where one moment, one game, one swing, and then it changes everything, and it certainly did back in two thousand and four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pauline, I'm just watched back on YouTube the eighty eight World Series Kirk Gibson's homer for the Dodgers Game one, and Vin Scully's on the call, thank god, And after he comes out, Vin Skelly just lays out, he goes, well, if you look at how he's walking, it's all or nothing. Anything in the infield or even in the outfield. He's not getting the first base bang.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Eck was so dominating and he just Gimmy was looking for one pitch and you know, he sat on that pitch and one armed it out to right field. But I think seeing those moments in real time for forty years to be able to go, oh my goodness, this just changed, and to be there at Yankee Stadium and that feeling where you know, Okay, we're going to sweep, and then you're not going to sweep and you're going to beat RIVERA big poppy Homers. Okay, that's just one game. Well, they couldn't separate one game from the next game, from the next game from the next game when the ball goes through Buckner's legs. And then there were a couple of rain rainout days, and then you had Game seven and you were wondering, could that momentum, you know, continue with the Mets. And I think the Red Sox led in that bruce Hurst I think was on the mound, you know, he was dealing, and then all of a sudden they came back and they ended up winning that. So you just have these moments, and there have been so many of them. I'm just off the top of my head trying to recall where you have something where you can actually pinpoint it, you can sense it, you can feel it in the building, and that's what's so magical. Yes, Marv.
Speaker 5: Netflix has a documentary about the Comeback from the Red Sox premiere in October twenty third, so perfect timely.
Speaker 2: They didn't ask me, Oh, I'm sorry, I was right there.
Speaker 5: There's been a couple of documentaries. I'm like, huh, yeah, you're.
Speaker 7: Not in it.
Speaker 2: Well, the Jordan one, that one I should have been in Pete rose M.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was around Pete a lot. Yeah. They even wrote a recent book on Charlie Hustle and never reached out like we had. I had access to him that from a national perspective, nobody had, and I was surprised at that. And then all the interviews I did with Jordan, but you know, for whatever reason, and I've been told there are reasons why certain people weren't in that documentary. Whether it pertains to me or not with Jordan, I don't know, but uh, yeah, I still enjoyed it. But I was there. I did as many of his highlights. I did more of his highlights than anybody did, probably myself and Stuart Scott. And then I was out there covering those playoff games and you know, his championship. So yeah, just moments like that where you're just like damn, being in the building and being able to experience it and actually seeing history and history changing right in front of you because you're like, this team's gonna win, and then all of a sudden something happens you go, this team is not gonna win.
Speaker 5: Yes, Mark, going back to Dave Roberts, is he in the Malcolm Butler category as far as he is revered in his city off of one play, almost like Mookie Wilson.
Speaker 2: Well, he didn't win, he didn't win the championship. Malcolm Butler won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm just saying you'll never forget that play. Maybe I'm not wording it right. Not they won a championship because of that. But in Boston, whenever he goes back to Boston, he'll get a standing ovation because they'll never forget that stolen base.
Speaker 2: Unless it's the Dodgers against the Red Sox in the World Series, then he probably won't get a standing.
Speaker 5: Well, you don't have to worry about the rest in the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is interesting.
Speaker 4: I'm looking back at Dave Roberts playing career, and you know, he bounced around over ten years. You know, had some seasons where he played a lot. He was in Boston for half a season, forty five regular season games and then that postseason. But it does feel like he's branded of that one night in Boston.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow. Well, there's certain franchises like Bucky Dent is always going to be Bucky f and Dent, you know with you know, the with the Yankees, Boone with his home run the Yanks. But the Yankees, Yeah, they've had so many of these moments, Like they have to take kind of the Yankees out of the equation. They've they've had all of these. Don Larson through a per game, You'll have these moments with the Yankees with all their championships. It's when you have a team a city that wins a championship and somebody contributes where they're not the star, but you couldn't have won it without them. NBA has a lot of those players where you needed that guy or those guys in the history of that franchise. You remember them, maybe you know, the average casual sports fan may not, but then you go, oh, remember he hit that shot. Like Robert ori Orio is always going to be remembered for two different franchises with hitting big shots. But his career, you know, it wasn't a full career as far as you know, being a great player, but what he did for those who else uh Pasing Paxing Kerr Yeah, uh, Derek uh Yeah, Fisher will be in there too.
Speaker 4: Going back to David Tyree with the New York Giants. Yeah, he's from Livingston, New Jersey and he went to Syracuse. So It's not like he's from Alabama and was going to move back home. He could stay in Livingston, New Jersey, and I'm sure he could pick up autograph signings or they bring up events with the around the Giants. He's on lifetime Hall pass and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. Yeah.
Speaker 8: That's like the kind of dude who opens a restaurant or something, or like a bar and you fill it with memorabilia and you're like, heck, yeah, man, come down here. I'll just I'll be there every night.
Speaker 2: All you need to do is have that football on his helmet. Yeah, exactly, Just put it up there like you would a moose or a bear.
Speaker 8: Say hello to some people, be like, yeah, that game was awesome, right, Yeah, that was a hell of a catch.
Speaker 2: Yeah I know. Yeah, he's sick. You want the pasta all right?
Speaker 9: Great?
Speaker 10: He could know who is TOMMYO Oh my god, that was arguably the most hilarious fifteen minutes of fame in recent memory.
Speaker 2: Tommy the vit though his agent, Oh my god, is Tommy DeVito still on the Giants roster?
Speaker 8: You still can't convince me that that whole thing wasn't a bit.
Speaker 2: It did feel almost like this is a made for TV type play.
Speaker 8: It was for TikTok or something in that. I just didn't know the account.
Speaker 2: Tommy Davitto is still on the Giants roster just in case, in case of emergency break glass, But didn't he when you're gonna get paid a certain amount of money to show up at a pizzeria and then he wanted more, and all of.
Speaker 8: A sudden he had a good game there, like it's twenty five grand.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Oh, I don't know if it was DeVito or the agent jumped in and decided let's get twice as much money and ends up making him look bad.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing the agent played probably a larger role in that.
Speaker 8: Out of Delio's today, like, yeah, man, we don't have that kind of mine.
Speaker 2: I'm going to Jersey, Mike, so I'm going to be there signing autographs here or at a Nunzio's.
Speaker 8: Yeah, dude, we're just selling slices of pizza.
Speaker 2: How much money do you possibly want?
Speaker 4: According to The New York Times that wrote a story about this, by the way, of course, it was Consiglio's old fashioned pizza and Morristown seating.
Speaker 2: A hot bet of pizza hot bed.
Speaker 4: Okay, they announced on social media. After having a deal in place to have the Vito at their restaurant on an off night, a Tuesday night, the owners had the quarterback's agent call back and doubled the appearance fee from ten grand to twenty grand. And they said twenty grand is too steep for two hours of pizza eating and handshaking.
Speaker 2: It was all settled, though, Yeah, I don't even know did he get to fifteen minutes of fame? Because he had that opportunity there and all of a sudden, my wife's asking me. Being Italian, she goes, who is this Tommy de Vito? And I said, oh, he's with the Giant. No, I'm hearing it like this is a big thing. I go, no, it's not. Hunt it's gonna go away quickly. How do you know that? You know? Like she gets defensive, like she's she's going to defend every Italian quarterback, Dan Pastorini, Benny Testa Verdi, what about Dan Marino? But I said, no, no, he's just it's it's kind of a passing thing. Hun, Okay, you sure, I go, yeah, I'm sure. She goes, it's not an Italian thing, and I go, no, it's an Italian thing, Tommy the Viat and that she hated. When I do that, I say, hey, Tommy the Vita though, Yes, Mark.
Speaker 5: He was going to be on the wall as South famous pizzeria. Yeah, the right thing. Get all the Italian Hall of Fame. Tommy DeVito's up there.
Speaker 2: Tommy de Vito was up there all right. Let me take a break. A former Laker calls out the Lakers and they said, this person, they're not serious about winning because they did one thing in the off season. Have that for you? Coming up next, Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Show, Fox Sport This radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: I watched the Lakers Golden State the other night. I wanted to see Dalton connect and Uh, he's good. He's he's gonna be in the rotation and he can hold his own create create eight off the dribble, and he can definitely hit some threes. I think he had five threes. Now, I know it's preseason basketball, but I like to see, you know kind of body language there, Are you comfortable? And it certainly felt that way. Where he's out there and he knows, hey, they're going to expect me to do some things. I did see where Demarcu's cousins, who won a championship with the Lakers, said that the team drafting Brownie James, they're not serious about winning.
Speaker 12: I don't really think the Lakers are serious anymore. You know, everything that it stands for. I think, you know, Whatebron is doing with his legacy and just you know, as a businessman and everything that comes with it. I think I think it's a beautiful thing. I think it's really really dope. But as far as the Lakers actually competing, I don't know. I take that as a sign as they aren't really serious.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the Run It Back podcast. Chandler Parsons Michelle Beadle. Okay, does he have a point here because they used a late second round pick on Lebron's son that they're not really serious? I think they got maybe a Steel and Dalton connect in the first round. Could you say that they brought in JJ Reddick? Are they serious because they don't have somebody with coaching experience or somebody who's friends with Lebron. I guess you can always point the finger and say, do they need to do this? Why did they do that? You still have Lebron, you still have a d I mean they have the nucleus there to be a competitive team, a good team. Now, are they going to be the class of the West. No, because you got to you gotta worry about some of these other teams, like Houston is coming up, like you're gonna have to deal with some of these other teams that you normally don't. Memphis is gonna be with John moranp uh, do the Pelicans figure it out? Minnesota is gonna be really good. Denver is, you know, a good team. I don't think they're a championship team anymore, but you know, the Suns still have a nucleus. I mean there's a lot going on out here. But I don't think drafting Brownie James means you're not serious. Now this let's go back in history where you had teams who drafted Carl Lewis got drafted in the NBA, pat Riley once got drafted in the NFL, I think by the Cowboys. Now these are later, these like are eighth round, ninth round, when you had drafts that are a little bit longer. The fact that it's a two round draft. Do you look at this and say, well, they're not really serious. I think they are. If I want to keep Lebron happy, I want to keep Lebron playing, and he's still playing at a very high level. We see this. Look at what's happening with Aaron Rodgers, I mean Aaron Rodgers saying this is what I want. It feels like Lebron has a better chance of winning a championship that Aaron Rodgers does. You do one thing for him. You bring in his son. He wants to stay, wants to play, and you're still must see TV. You know you're the big draw in town. I don't have a problem with it. I don't think it means they're not serious.
Speaker 5: Yes, Mart, if they spent their first round pick on BRONI then I'd be with you for sure. But in the history of the NBA, the fifty fifth pick, no one's out there like, oh, I can't believe you took him with the fifty fifth pick.
Speaker 2: Okay, so well, wait a minute, the joker when was he selected.
Speaker 5: Like the forty first pick? Okay, well, for the Laker's sake, they better hope that the fifty six fifty seven. The eighth pick doesn't turn into nicole joke.
Speaker 4: If Kevin mccullor Junior becomes an All Star, Yeah, someone's in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think that this means they're not serious. You don't how many late second round picks do you actually go? Boy, they better do that. They better hit on that one. You know, it's kind of a all right, maybe you got somebody who can contribute. I don't expect Bronnie James to play. I think he'll be up for kind of a ceremonial national TV. Let's let dad and son play, but he should be in the G League learning how to play. Dalton Connect is going to be the guy who contributes for them, or he better be. That's where if you whiff on that that, you know, that makes it worse than you drafted Bronni in the second round. I have no problem with it. I mean, it's it's it's pretty cool that it happened. He had the power to ask for that. You even had Golden State. Golden State was thinking drafting him and they said no, out of respect for Lebron they weren't going to do it. Okay, I thought the Phoenix Suns were going to take him, and I thought he might go at the end of the first round. Now do I think he's a first round talent, No, not yet, but I think that there is there's an avenue for him to contribute eventually with the Lakers. He's not a star player, probably not going to be anywhere near a really good player, but he might be able to contribute. And if it keeps lebron engaged then and you still feel like he's worth it, then you know, I don't have any problem with that at all.
Speaker 5: Yes, Martin Bronny could be like one of those guys where who would like Jack Haley, Like, look, whatever team Dennis rob is on, bring Jack Haley because that's his boy. Keep him happy.
Speaker 2: I know Jack was great during timeouts, you know he would he'd be excited.
Speaker 5: Like he might be a locker room guy. Yeah, Kevin Aley played in the NBA for eighteen thousand years because he was just a good locker room guy.
Speaker 2: And around See, I wasn't a good locker room guy. You know, That's probably why nobody no, because I was always complaining and I wasn't getting to play, not getting shots. That's not a good locker room guy. Yeah.
Speaker 8: See, I don't know if we like if it was really looking back now, if this is really true or not, but it feels like that DeMarcus Cousin's Pelicans team from like twenty seventeen or twenty eighteen, they were so close to being really good and we're just okay.
Speaker 2: He had a moment. I now he got injured.
Speaker 8: He did get injured, but they had Anthony Davis, Drew Holliday, uh Rondo was there.
Speaker 2: They had a moment.
Speaker 8: Mecca Okafour who didn't really work out, but they It feels like they were so close to Meir Nelson. They were so close to having a team, didn't.
Speaker 2: Cousins average like twenty four one year Paulie.
Speaker 4: He had four different seasons where he averaged over twenty six. Oh okay, he's almost underrated, undercovered. He did a lot of his work in Sacramento, which has witness protection that in the day, but at age twenty seven, that team Seaton's talking about Marcus coverage average, Cousins averaged twenty six points, thirteen rebounds, and six assists. There's not many people who ever done that stat line. He he had about a five year run where his stats were as good as anybody.
Speaker 8: He ended up getting hurt, right, yeah, yeah, but man, they were so close. You have to imagine that when they that team starts piecing together that you're like, oh, dang, we got something here, especially with Cousins and Davis at that age.
Speaker 5: Man, Kentucky, I know, that's all I think about him, John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, Patrick Patrick Peterson.
Speaker 2: And they didn't win a national title and he gets to a final four.
Speaker 5: Oh my god they lost to West Virginia.
Speaker 8: Wow, oh Mountain years.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, so I just didn't have me go. Boy, the Lakers don't care. They're not serious because they drafted Bronni. I'm like, good Man, keep Lebron happy, engaged, wants to play maybe this year, next year. Good I think those are all positives. There a couple of phone calls in here, Austin in Virginia. Hi Austin, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey Dan, thanks to sticking my call real quick. As a longtime Washington fan, I have to say how much better it feels just life in general, having a franchise quarterback. I mean, I'm working out more, I'm excited to eat better. I mean, everything feels different in my life. I'm just so excited to know you have a chance in any game. Now, if we could just do something about that stupid name. But anyway, the real reason I'm calling today is because I'm finally taking the advice of a very very smart person and I'm taking my boys to a West Point game to watch our me demolish my ECU pirates this weekend. I wanted to see if you had any advice or recommendations of how I can maximize my time there and optimize the day.
Speaker 2: I would just get up there early. You're going to have peak foliage. It'll I think, be a sunny day, probably in the low sixties. And if you get a chance to walk around campus, do just walk and even the tailgates just You're going to see a lot of people that will make you proud. And when the cadets come in. Now, I know the stadium's not finished, the other side has been taken down. But if you get a chance to walk around campus, do get up there early. And I tried. I was going to go this weekend, but I'm having shoulder surgery and my wife said, well, I'll drive, but I don't want to be lugging in a you know, an arm and a sling up there.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, and make sure Austin that you get their pregame because they do the parachute when they fly out amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh no, get there, you know, two and a half hours early. Just walk around, Just soak it all in, just the history. And give you your sons, your boys reading material. Give them an assignment to understand what they're going to go see because years from now they'll look back and they'll they'll be thankful that they got that opportunity. Eric and Wisconsin. Hi, Eric, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Hey, good morning, Dan, and gentlemen. I can't call you all to day and that it's like saying Glady's Knight and your pits. But Dan, don't take any advice some fritzy. I once before surgery said okay, I can't eat, but maybe I could smoke a ball before I go in. Ended up in the middle of the surgery trying to get up and walk out of surgery, going to get my yellow Volkswaggen. Never I own a yellow volkswaggon in my life. Listen to your doctor, not freshy, Please.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, wait, wait, you were smoking a ball before you went into surgery and you got up out of surgery.
Speaker 9: Dan, it was to before. It was like two hours before the surgery. I believed the doctor when they say don't eat food, but I was like, well a bum hit teen hert, that's just smoke. During the middle of the surgery, Dad, I'm a recovering cancer patient. They had to strap me down because I woke up during the surgery talking about going to get my yellow Volkswagen and I've never owned a yellow Voltswaggen in my life. They had to strap me down to finish my surgical procedure. From that point on, I strictly listened to what my doctor said, not even regular yogurt. I don't eat a day before my surgeries now and I go through them twice a year. They're called the ciscosity. Don't listen to.
Speaker 2: Free I'm not going to now, Eric, I'm not going to not going to take a bonghead either, be prior to my surgery.
Speaker 11: There's a cup of yogurt in a bun head.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd. He gets up out of surge and he's got a yellow Volkswagen that he doesn't have he's gonna go find it.
Speaker 5: That was bizarre.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was. You got to listen to your doctor, Todd.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, you know you could wait to eat.
Speaker 2: I'm not. I'm not having anything to eat tomorrow, anything to drink tomorrow prior to surgery.
Speaker 8: Not having any caffeine either.
Speaker 2: So you and me, buddy, man, it's incredible. I don't know which is going to be tougher.
Speaker 8: You're not alone.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that you're not alone. Dan.
Speaker 5: I'm here with you.
Speaker 2: Seaton is not gonna have calf together. We're going to power through. You're not gonna have caffeine. I don't know how you can do it.
Speaker 8: It's gonna be hard. Yeah, yeah, it's a real challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I appreciate that. Thank you. Is this elective? Like have you You're just doing this out of sympathy.
Speaker 8: It's more preemptive. Let me just see how the uh how my heart's doing that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Jesse and Kansas, Hi, Jesse, what's on your mind? Hey Jess, Thanks Jess Seaton. Would you update the poll results if you can. By the way, I saw a Hall of Fame list and I'm not sure, like I'm a little confused about this, but there are some big names on here, Chris Berman, Howard Cosell, John Facenda, Rune Arledge, and I thought that there was the Pete rosell Award Former Commissioner for members of the media, and then I guess they have something for contributors. This is the contributors portion of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Do you get a bust, like, are you actually in the Hall of Fame because the Pete Roselle Media Award that being honored.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got this from the Hall of Fame. There is a different a change in the twenty twenty five class for the coach contributor category. Now it's split. Used to be if you're a coach, GM, team president, et cetera, it was this coach contributor category. Now it's split. There's a separate contributor category that twenty five people are up for this year for the class at twenty twenty five, So it's like a big first class for the contributor list.
Speaker 2: This hasn't happened before where they've included members of the media.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen members of the media for the Like you said, you're being inducted into the Hall of Fame. I'm not sure if you get a bust. It doesn't say anything about that here.
Speaker 2: But this is different from the Pete Roselle Awards. So Rune Arledge, one of the great TV executives, Chris Berman, Howard Cosell, John Facenda, let me see Eddie Robinson, Art Rooney Junior, the guy who created the Elias Sports Bureau. Okay, Doug Williams, Amy Trask, who was CEO of the Raiders, Jim Tunney, longtime official. Uh John McKay or John McVay. John McVay, Okay, so you got a There's a lot of names on here. Yes, Tom, is it interesting.
Speaker 11: If you don't live up to high expectations, you're a bust. But if you're a great player, you get a bust.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 11: You aspire to get a bust. You don't want to be a bust. You just want to get a bust.
Speaker 2: All in favor of saying, well you could have bust with something else, All in favor of a bloop for toddy boop. All right, all right, you gotta be grudging blue, begrudging blo.
Speaker 8: John McVay Fleetwood Mac.
Speaker 2: By the way, John McBee.
Speaker 8: Yeah, John mcvhe Yeah, I'm taking Todd's place. Crappy, crappy musical reference.
Speaker 2: I was going to go Lonnie Anderson for a bust award. Lonnie She's still She's still around? Is she still? I think? I think Lonnie is still around? Didn't she was?
Speaker 5: She married to Burt Reynolds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, Burt Reynolds. Burt Reynolds did pretty well.
Speaker 5: His work list is.
Speaker 1: Y, No, he did.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's not a John Cougar, Mellen Camp. He's got a pretty good list there, really, Christy Brinkley, Meg Ryan that just recently, Billy Joel got a pretty good list.
Speaker 5: We call those snipers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he's dating El McPherson and Christy Brinkley reportedly at the same time. Give you a round of applause for that. And it's him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know, I mean, no offense, but he was able to do that.
Speaker 2: I know. See, that's all you need is a piano or a guitar. It doesn't matter what you look like. You know you can sing, You're you're already ahead of the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's like Phil Jackson coaching Michael Jordan, then Kobe Yeah, back log and all.
Speaker 2: That is accurate.
Speaker 11: Yes, Ton, It's nice to see that the bios to her as An is not AZ when you're trying to read about her lights.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Lonnie Anderson, still a lot. That's what it appears to do right around him. All heard for, Ronnie? And all right, how about we take a break and we'll come back with more phone calls, close up shop, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow aside from my surgery right after.
Speaker 1: This, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: This day in Sports History, Pauline, just.
Speaker 4: A couple for you today, Dan, I got please. Eighteen sixty, Willie Park won the first professional golf tournament to be held in Scotland. Didn't even know they went back that far.
Speaker 2: Oh, they go back to like the sixteen hundreds.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 4: Nineteen sixty two, the New York Yankees won their twentieth World Series. They beat the San Francisco Giants. And nineteen sixty eight, Bob Beeman long jumped twenty nine feet two and a half inches the Olympic Games in Mexico.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty nine Game three earthquake, Bay Area Giants Athletics. Let's see nineteen sixty four. This guy played quarterback at Tulsa. He was responsible for seven touchdown passes, two rushing touchdowns, and a two point conversion. He was responsible for fifty six of Tulsa's fifty eight points in a win against Louisville Jerry Rome. And then I think he played in the AFL, maybe for Houston, but Jerry Rome fifty six of Tulsa's fifty eight points on this day, Um, let me see Shelby in Minnesota. I shall be what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: VP the morning for taking my call first time, longtime five ten, two fifteen. First off, I want to apologize to Todd for cutting into your air time. But the reason I called Dan is I was listening to one of your reoccurring guests, Joel Klatt this week, and he sees me down on the hill of the fact that the conferences need to give up control of the referees and review and give it to an overarching body for college football. I want to just get your thoughts on that and see if you think that'll ever happen in college football.
Speaker 2: Well, I would like to see the officials be protected that, you know, their full time jobs. It's treated as a full time job. It's still so difficult, certainly the NFL. If you watch your game in real time down low, I don't know how you ever go that guy touched the ball, didn't touch the ball, pass interference not pass interference. We get the luxury overhead view replays, slow motion, all of that. But I think getting the officials to be to have their own union might help. But I don't do as deep a dive on this as Joel Klatt does. Fresh in Milwaukee is back, Hi Fresh, What's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Good morning, DP five to nine with the hands beat of Jerry Blackwell. Have a dinner table. I got the question or a poll up today. Try to answer this for the Zoo crew. What's worse betting on the team or sport you play in or cheating?
Speaker 2: Well, they have us once again, not getting into the Pete Rose situation. When you're cheating, you are trying to win. Andy Pettitt when he got caught, he said, hey, I was just trying to come back and help my team, the Astros. They were cheating to win. He was gambling to win money. And there's a sign that says you can't gamble all right now, how no matter how many ways you try to twist and turn, this heat's not getting into the Hall of Fame. And do I think that he been on baseball as a player. I do, and I don't have There's no malice towards Pete. I mean, he's a wonderful player shape my childhood in a lot of ways, watching baseball and how he played and never giving up playing different positions. He's the winningest player in baseball history. But he bet on baseball, and I think he bet when he was a player. I just don't think Major League Baseball wants to open that up in my opinion. All right, go around the room. What we learned on the program Todd would you learn today?
Speaker 11: John Smaltz would put a mean face on the mound to look intimidate and to hit us, even though he's deep down he was afraid to face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said, big poppy upper pooholes Bonds and Tony Glynn. It's like, I'm nervous. They make me nervous. I'm gonna put on my mean mug here Seaton, what did you learn.
Speaker 8: And John Smalts's grandmother didn't like his mean face a smile more, Come on, Johnny, such a great like mother grandmother thing. They say, Well, you have such a beautiful smile. Why do you smile?
Speaker 12: More?
Speaker 8: Come what are you trying to look tough?
Speaker 12: Mom?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get Barry Bonds out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Mom, it's a big poppy smile at him.
Speaker 2: Marvin, what did you learn today?
Speaker 5: Eric and Wisconsin got about a surgery?
Speaker 2: Yes, after you know, smoking a bong? Paulie, what did you learn?
Speaker 4: Jerry Rome ballhawk?
Speaker 11: Yeah, DoD it's Mario's birthday today. Is going to NLCS Game four to see his Mets.
Speaker 5: Try to even things up with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Birthday good, good, and bad. Rapid Radios Instant Push the Talkualkie Talkies, National LTE coverage. You get up to sixty percent off, free shipping and also free protection bag ad Code Radio get an extra five percent off. We'll do it again tomorrow. Thanks for joining us for the entire crew. Have a great day, everybody,