Speaker 1: What's that at the foot of my bed. It's smoky and kooky. I'm really sure it's dead. It's coming this way. Wait a minute, help, I go, said Hi, ros dressed fans Helse, Hey boo, Roz dress BLESI. How's your week? You have a good one. I'm so happy that we had Bill Phillips in here are Psychic last week. He answered some questions for me, and but then of course as soon as he leaves, I'm like, God, I have a thousand more questions I need to ask him. But that was really fun and great, and you know, I had I had a great week this week. And I did get to meet quite a few listeners of Ghosted this past week. And thank you guys so much for coming to my sh shows. I'm so happy to meet you guys. And I always appreciate anybody sending me dms just to say hey, like the show. I'm so happy to know that you guys aren't ghosts and you're real and you're there. And I had a really nice time at Ross Matthews' Dragtastic Bubbly Brunch I hosted on Saturday. I'll be back there in July and I hope to see more of you there, and yeah, yeah, I just I was sitting in my home last night and I was looking around at all of my drag paraphernalia, which is almost all thrift store clothing, and it started making me think again about something that I talked to Meg malloy in one of our previous episodes about, which is spirits being attached to thrift store fines or antiques or any kind of item that once belonged to somebody or something else. And go back to the first episode where I talk about the Ouiji board that I had, which was a whole nother story, which luckily, I don't think any of my drag has any demons or spirits attached to it, unless unless it's on me, honey. But yeah, I was thinking about how on eBay people post, you know, they're selling haunted items and dolls, and I think that that is the ethical thing to do, is tell people this is haunted. And I know that there's a whole audience of people that want to actually buy haunted items, and there's museums that actually specialize in haunted items. I know the late Lorraine and Ed Warren, they have their place on the East Coast and Zach Baggins has his place in Las Vegas that's a museum for haunted items. So I spent I'm eaven, can you two hours last night on eBay just reading all of these haunted items. And it's funny because there's some there's some sellers that I'm pretty sure or it's their whole business is selling these items, and they come up with the whole back story, and I don't know if you can trust it. I will say I did notice that a lot of them almost I actually pretty much all of them say something like we are required to only sell tangible items, and there's we cannot promise that a spirit is attached to it. So I guess that's a whole rule with eBay is that you can't you can't be selling spirits. But you know, I found all these that are dolls. I got really obsessed with the dolls especially, and I'll read one for you. This one. This one sounds like she's got a spirit that I would not. I mean, she sounds like a fun ghost to be honest. And her name is Brijitete. And I'll post I'll post all these in the face so you can check them out. If they're still available. I'm not sure, but this is Brigitte, and she's got oh honey, she's wearing like a kelly green ruffle, all the ruffles you can imagine on this dress. She's even got a ruffel hat. She looks like she just got a blowout. She's got a gorgeous blonde wig on honey, She's got green eyes and a top and bottom lash with a total be stung lip. And let's read about Brigitte. This enchanted vessel contains the attached spirit of a twenty one year old woman named Brigitte. Brigitte is from San Francisco, California, and passed away in the nineteen twenties when she was accidentally shot at a nightclub that she was working at during a heist. Brigitte was a working girl. She had her parents. She lost her parents when she was only thirteen and began working at as a showgirl at a very young age. Brigitte was hardworking and very independent and had a lot of sex and quite away with men. She was very dominant and a sensual woman. She had worked hard her whole life only to have it taken away. So briefly, she tells me She's a lot happier now. She says she has let go of the past and is ready to start enjoying the finer things in life. Brigitte's passion in life was singing and dancing and being the absolute best performer she could be. She has been quite wonderful to have here in my home. She's a very positive spirit to have around. She emanates feelings of positivity and euphoric enlightenment. Enlightenment Brigitte can give you very vivid visions as well as communicate with you through dreams. Brigitte loves ragtime and swing music. She likes being taken out on outdoor adventures, especially in nature. She enjoys hikes with a passion. This really sounds like a dating profile. Brigitte feels very peaceful and happy when she is in the forest surrounded by nature. Brigitte loves plants and flowers and loves being gifts. Loves being gifted plants and flowers as offerings. I've noticed that offerings keep her spirit very active, and it goes on and on and on. So you know, if you want Brigitte to move into your home and listen to ragtime and swing music, She's a performer that's always working on her crap. You know what. Actually I could use a sidekick the Ras and Brigitte show. That would be cute. I also found this one that sounds legit. It's terrifying, this doll. There's photos of it. It looks very chucky like, it looks like a doll that saw Chucky and was like, that's the look, and I want to be Chucky. And it's sort of very much like you know, you know, like the late nineties, everyone saw Rachel on Friends and they were like, I want that hair. Yeah, that's what this doll did. She she saw Chuck. She said, I want that short, red, spooky hair. I want a horizontal stripe hoodie, which is what it's wearing. And it has a hole in its head, so that helps. So let's read about this doll. Haunted vintage doll. I collect vintage toys. So when I saw this doll at a thrip store about six months ago, I decided to take him home. He was naked and his hair was a mess. Ben there and I dressed him and fix up his hair a bit. He's a vintage nineteen seventy two growing hair e a doll. His hair grows, growing hair Chrissy doll, but the piece of hair that grows is missing and there is just a hole where it used to be. So I thought he looked like a boy. Anyway. I put him in the room with my other collectible toys and forgot about him. About two weeks later, my daughter asked if she could play with him. I said fine, and she brought him into her room. At night, I heard one of her electronic toys going off, so I went to go turn it off. As soon as I walked out of the room, it went back on again. I didn't want to make I didn't want to wake her, so I took it out of the room and that was that. The next day, I'm calling the dog and she's not coming. I go into my daughter's room and the dog is lying there with her head on the doll's lap. I thought it was strange, and I brought the doll into the living room. Wow, every time the dog has access to this doll, she lays her head on the lap and will stay that way for up to an hour or so, and says, see the picture. There literally is a photo of the dog with its head on this chucky looking doll's lap, So the doll has been on a dresser in my room. I have lived in this house for over eight years and nothing strange has happened until I brought this doll home. The shower will turn off by its almost every time I'm in there, lights will turn on, doors will close, and one night my husband thought my daughter was up running around because he heard laughing and footsteps. Very chucky. When he checked, she was sound asleep. Electronic toys will go on for no apparent reason, just strange things. I thought about donating the doll, but it seems harmless and more people and more playful than anything. So I figured someone can appreciate this type of thing that may want them, So yeah, listen if you guys want them. Well for so, I have bought hundreds of vintage items and this is the only time anything like this has happened. Just too strange for me. I can't guarantee you will have the same experience, but something is definitely wrong with this doll and I just want it out of my house now. Refunds So if you want this haunted doll, it is currently a one dollar bit, but eighteen dollars shipping Okay, one more that I found that. This one, Okay, this sounds almost like our Billy Lee episode. This doll she's got some kind of floral dress on with. I can tell that this wig she's wearing is synthetic just by looking at it. But let's read about this one. Okay, This one made me love. Okay. Mercy is her name. She died in nineteen sixty eight at the age of twenty two. She was attending college at the University of Texas and enjoyed engaging in free love, if you know what I'm saying. She was hoping to move to California so she could protest the war and join the hippie movement, but her life was cut short in a car accident. All that said, physically, she's very beautiful now. Ps, they're talking about the spirit that is attached to this doll, not the actual doll itself. The doll is just a vessel, so physically the spirit is very beautiful. Her hair is dark red and she has a dark red bush to match. Okay, she isn't shy and will appear naked in your dreams. She is bisexual, so she won't mind entering male and female dreams. She will also do things like bang on walls and windows, open cabinets, and move objects. She is most active when people are feeling sensual and in the mood for love. Room for one more. It's me, Mercy, you sitting here with my red hair carpet matches the drapes. So she's up for sale too if you want her. Guys, the reason I was thinking about talking about haunted objects is because my guest today had an experience with a demon or spirit that kind of lurched onto him, that was attached to an item. And my guest today is someone that I love so much and I'm I'm so lucky to have him as a friend. And he is a director and writer responsible for incredible movies. You should check out his movie GBF, which is such a sweet gay coming of age comedy. It's great GBF Gay Best Friend. And he's also very well known for his movie Jawbreaker, which is cult classic peak late nineties. Rose McGowan, Oh, honey, check it out if you've never seen that movie. And let's hear a little bit from my friend Darren Stein. Darren Ruz. The last time I saw you, we were on stage and I was interviewing you about Jawbreaker.
Speaker 2: That's right, me and Jade Greer.
Speaker 1: Yes, for the twenty fifth anniversary, twentieth, twentieth yeah, sorry, twentieth, yeah, twentieth, that's right. Oh my god. I went when I was asked to do that by the group Elcine. Shout out to Alcine. I was put together that whole. They're the best, Mariana. Uh. When they asked me, they were like, oh, we're going to screen jow Breaker. I'm like, love it. And then they were like the director, Darren is going to be there and I was like, Darren, my Darren, and they say, you know Darren. I said, yeah, I'm an interesting, talented drag queen in Los Angeles. We all know Darren.
Speaker 2: I love my drag queens both, I do.
Speaker 1: I love both the most talentedg just kidding, death kidding. Yeah, you are a big drag fan.
Speaker 2: I do love drag queens. I think it all started with Rocky Hard Picture show that makes sense, yeah, yeah, and it was off to the races. Yeah, and you're I've been known to get in a frock now and again too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember one time at your house.
Speaker 2: You you're staying home, like it used to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you I remember you having like some gorgeous purple wig h on.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's still in my drawer.
Speaker 1: I never know, you know now you never know when you need it. Yeah, I feel like everyone has to have at least one wig drawer, for sure.
Speaker 2: I tried on lots of wigs. I love her.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're like the the the queen of the of the fun Los Angeles Queens.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like you're a lad. I do love to you know, snap some rings in the shape you know, like Lord of the Rings girl, Lord of the Queens.
Speaker 1: A lot of the queens.
Speaker 2: But wait, hold up.
Speaker 1: I also another thing I know about you is that you were possessed by a demon. No question mark maybe no.
Speaker 2: My god, a demon. It wasn't a full possession, but I mean I think you think I was followed home?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the demon was like you know what, I have a feeling that that miss Darmon over here has some cute parties at her house. I want to come with it was it was scurry, Okay, what happened? Because we need to talk about this. I was at your house like a couple months ago or something, and I asked you where's talking about ghost? And then you said, well, I have a demon story.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I don't want to call it a demon. I mean a demon is a very strong word.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But because how's a goat? How's a ghost different than a demon?
Speaker 1: Well, a demon was never a human.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I'm not sure what this was exactly, but I'll get into it. I had a friend who moved to Los Angeles and I wanted to show him around. He loves horror, you know, so I took him to Magnolia Boulevard because there's so many cool.
Speaker 1: Horror shops in North Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, there's like antique stores and dark delicacies and Halloween Town and Creature Feature ps.
Speaker 1: Anyone listening that has that is like, if you're a fan of this show, the place you're gonna want to hang out is Magnolia.
Speaker 2: Magnolia is where it's happening. It's all happening. I know, if you're if you're if you're into the goth, into the dark.
Speaker 1: My first address ten years ago when Los Angeles was a Magnolia fabulous.
Speaker 2: And this is the Paul Thomas Anderson section. Is the pornography section, which is further up, you know, for their west. There's a pornography, you know, I mean, you know pt anders stand this from the valley and he made Boogie Knights and film Magnolia. Anyway, this section that Magnolia is more about horror. And I had a new friend who moved here, and I was like, Drenna, let Magnolia and we walked up and down it and we found this antique store in this little house and sort of went inside and they had some kids chi kind of fun board games, what have you in the front, some of Ouiji boards, you know, this and that, some dolls. But as you ventured deeper into the store, it sort of got a little creepy, like there were little rooms everywhere, and each room some rooms had like a like an antique crib that was on display, like an aplexiglass. It was very Annabelle.
Speaker 1: Did I have a backstory?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they wrote some texts about where the crib came from, or there were dolls and where the doll came from. And it was just super I got a really bad, kind of a bad energy in the back and some of the rooms and kind of wanted to get out because I'm very viby with that stuff and I don't like being around it. So I was like, Okay, well let's let's go. And we left, and my friend was away into it, you know, because he loves horror and I love horror. I like the I like fiction horror, I don't like real life.
Speaker 1: Same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I say, exactly. So we walk out of there and he goes, wait, so do you get easily scared? But that's stuff? And I was like, never, I never get scared. And I had this really massive reaction. I got kind of overreacted in a way that was unusual for me, Like I don't know why I had to come on so kind of douchey in that moment. And then I realized it was because I was scared and I was some part of me it was. It was like a defense mechanism. I was over, you know. So I get home and it's dark now, by the way, just set the mood, and I pull into my carb hort, open the door, and as soon as I entered my house, I get full body chills, like goose flash top to bottom and I'm and my heart, my heart started racing, and it was like something was in the house, you know, and I felt, and I was like something and then in my I was something must have followed me back from that store, because I was like, oh fuck, no, I never get scared of this kind of stuff. Yeah, and probably whatever it was back there was like, oh, we'll show you, you know, we'll you think you're not scared, let's show you scary. So that was And by the way, this might have all been in my head because I do have a very active imagination.
Speaker 1: But I'm on your side, that's what I would think. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But but then so I go, Okay, I'm gonna go watch TV because I can't entertain this sphere, you know, I'm just to turn the TV on. That usually sort of obliterates that kind of energy, right, So I put the TV on and then like the dogs, but I'm still feeling like goose flesh crawling over me and it's still in the house, you know, it's not helping the TV, right, And the dogs sort of hop off the couch and go trot over to the doorway and start barking at something in the other room. Now, yeah, I'm like, oh fuck, I mean, I can't even now, I can't relax my nice getting really you know, uh, tampered with. And then that night I get I got into bed, and I'm still having the paltations and goops goose flesh, and I finally fell asleep, you know, And during the day I was pretty okay. It was usually at night.
Speaker 1: So this kept happening.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this one on for I would say about a month.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on and off for a month at night, these these this goose bumps, this the dogs sentencing a presence.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like there was somebody else there?
Speaker 2: I kind of did. I just felt like there was like cold spots and the dogs were on edge, and I would be covered in goose goose bumps and couldn't sleep. And it got to the point where like during the day I would have kind of like heart palpitations, like my heart. I would be in my car and my heart would just start kind of beating fast in my chest. And I got really kind of unnerved by the whole thing. And I decided to, you know, consult. I didn't go to a preseturs like perhaps I should have, right, No, I went to a the doctor. I think I'm your heart issues.
Speaker 1: They don't have like a demon that's not on the blood tests or anything.
Speaker 2: And I wish that would be great, Like, okay, that's full on demon yep. So I went to the doctor because I said, you know, I think I'm having some heart issues. So I told my best friend, I'm like, I'm I think these heart palpitations. And she's like, how long. I'm like a few weeks. She's like, go to the doctor. Because I'm the one who like rushes to the doctor over things like I you know, I'm very sort of I'm not alarmist, you.
Speaker 1: Know, but you know what ps, that's just a completely separate thing that I should say though, is that men tend to be that way. So they just they don't want to go to the doctor.
Speaker 2: And we think we're so important impenetrable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so listeners, go to the doctor.
Speaker 2: Go to the doctor just because your.
Speaker 1: Body's not lying to you, yeah, or or go to the priest if you need it. So what did the doctor?
Speaker 2: He's like he had me. It was very extorousist to the heretic.
Speaker 1: I love that movie. You know.
Speaker 2: They attached to all those little like yeah, they did that to my body and everything and had me like run on the treadmill stop. Oh yeah. It was full on heart tests and he's like, you're possessed. I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: No, he's girl. I would have to have a demon to get my ass on a treadmill. That's what it would take. Oh my lord.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh no, your heart's perfectly fine.
Speaker 1: So when did it go away?
Speaker 2: It just went away. I think it kind of went away gradually after that. It didn't. It's sort of just I think it proved that the presence proved its point, which was, you know, don't ever say that you're not scared of us, and don't ever try to like act like we don't exist. Because it happened when I made that comment a it was out of character for me. It was right outside the store.
Speaker 1: Did you ever think about going back to the store.
Speaker 2: No, I don't like that kind of stuff. It's great in the movie. You can talk to anyone that I know and they'll tell you like, I'm not into the devil. Like I remember seeing the Extressist, I'm a Jew. I'm still the extressist fucked me up as a kid. Oh yeah, I was at a friend's house and I was like, oh, fuck, you know, I can't deal with this devil. Yeah, because we don't learn, we don't we don't get deep into the devil in the Jewish faith like in Hebrew School, yes, used to. It was real to me watching that movie.
Speaker 1: So you think it was a crib or a doll.
Speaker 2: There was something back there. They had a collection of objects was very Annabelle like a lot of like things that were so haunted. They were in the back at They're very, very very back of this place, in their own rooms, in plexiglass, behind cages, what have you. You know, they were back there, and actually some of it wasn't Actually maybe the plexiglass was just my my my memory of the latest Annimel movie. I think these things were just sort of out and about on display, and I was like, oh boy, and so it's funny sause. I was back on Magnolia, you know, several months later with my nephew, My nephews, like you know, he was seven or seven at the time. He's very brave. He plays hockey, you know, hetero in the making, and you know, I'm trying to turn him a goth. I have I have my on Magnolia Boulevard, Like that's good a Halloween town. Don't you want that clown? Come on? Anyway, I was like oh see that store across the street that he's like, yeah. I was like, if lives there. I went in there and evil spirit followed me home and I won't go in there again. And he's like, well, I'll go in there. I'm like, oh no, no, no, don't go on, please, don't go in.
Speaker 1: I go.
Speaker 2: I don't want you to sit parent. I don't want you know you're out with uncle Darreen. I don't want you know, me losing you inside that inside of that house, that store, you might not come out. So of course, my I do have that side of me that kind of likes to play pranks and stuff. And he's like, well, I'm gonna go in. I'm like, okay, but if you don't come out, it's not my fall, and like don't tell your dad and blah blah blah. And he so like he went in and to prove that I was wrong, and I was like, well, don't go to the back, don't go all the way into the back, just stay in the front. And of course he walked right to the back and then walked right out and goes, see, I'm fine, I'm still alive.
Speaker 1: Oh I wish I had an ounce of that isn't that cool? I can't. This is so funny that you were talking about because I didn't realize your story was about this kind of a thing because I'm kind of obsessed with thrifting and you know the history of things. We've had people on the show talk about how, you know, so many items have attached you know, some kind of entity or I guess human spirit attached to them. And I'm the thrifting queen. Honey, everything I own is from a thrill story.
Speaker 2: Honey. All that shit has you know, connections.
Speaker 1: Has a history. Who knows where it came from.
Speaker 2: I used to go to Rose Bowl, Santa Monica, Long Beach flea Market. I love all that stuff. And certain things do have you know, ghosts with them.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, you should listen to the very first preview episode of the show where I talk about the Oueji board I bought at a goodwill.
Speaker 2: I won't go near one.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll learned my lasson. But that's so funny. Actually, I spent last night looking up doll haunted dolls on eBay because I know that that's like totally a thing, and people straight up like will put these they'll have the whole backstory of who the who the doll was and the spirit that's attached to it, and I'll share it in the intro of the show. I'll look up some and I love the people.
Speaker 2: I love that. No, And I used to, you know, the more haunted the better. When I was in my twenties, I was drawn to that. I brought home like this gypsy you know, face that looked very dark.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: It was sort of a plastic plaster gypsy sort of face with like lipstick on and beautiful earrings. It must have been like part of a display or something like maybe it was on a you know, read your fortune booth or what have you. But it was twenty bucks and it was just something I had in my wall. And now you know, I'm very cognizant of what I have in my house and display it and hanging and stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, even the people you have in there. You don't know if somebody's got something.
Speaker 2: Attached to that, Honey Jesus, you know, yeah, sage that place.
Speaker 1: I know, Okay, I also know that you've had some other things happen in your family.
Speaker 2: Oh my mom, when she was a little girl, she had epilepsy. She had grandma epilepsy, which is a really dangerous form. You know. She had to take grand grands called grand ma grand mall means big bad in French. Literally it could kill you. And she was on pheno barbaratol for it, you know. And when she was seven or eight, she had such a huge epileptic fit. She was pronounced dead for a few minutes and she came back. They brought her back to life. But she said to me about a few years ago, she goes, Darren, you know, I had a psychic tell me that when I died as little girl, the soul that I was born with left my body in those minutes when I was dead, and a walk on came in.
Speaker 1: Stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And what a walk on is is a soul that's sort of been just lingering and you know in the air, you know, waiting to find a body to come hijack onto earth understudy exactly all about here you go. So like literally, so she feels and if your soul is in pain in this incarnation wants to go and to go, it'll go, you know what I mean. And then the walk On's like, oh, cool body, I'm coming in right. And then it came in so she feels like, you know, she had to relearn how to play piano. She had to relearn everything she had to because when you're when you're young and you have that kind of you die and come back, you have to relearn all this stuff. But she's very different from her brother and sisters because the soul is not who she was meant to be at birth.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy.
Speaker 2: So I'm the son of a walk all.
Speaker 1: A walk on. That's your next movie, you know, right, that's so interesting. I guess I've never really heard about that, but yeah, that must be a thing.
Speaker 2: It's creepy, It's fully creepy. Yeah, and she's a Capricorn. Capricorn is a pretty witchy to begin with. And she's you know, sort of like, you know, she's sort of like has another worldly vibe in a cool way. I mean, she's out there and it really in a really super you know, super interesting way.
Speaker 1: But it makes you wonder, Yeah, because I feel like people often think of our physical body as the same thing as our soul, and it's it's it's not, it's not We're just merely just a meat suit, a meat suit. Yeah, bag of meat, bag of meat bag of bones.
Speaker 2: Just you know, turn it to dust.
Speaker 1: But you've always been a big horror guy, right, I have.
Speaker 2: Even as a kid, I was super drawn to uh horror, rocky horror, alien kiss. Even my music was horror like kiss Alice Cooper, like you know, fangoria. I had a subscription, like I just lived for it and my parents. And luckily for me, my parents never really you know, like judged it. They would let me do my thing or to my alien chest burst r T shirt and stuff.
Speaker 1: But when you were a little kid, were you somebody that would want to go to like, let's go to a spooky place, And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was super into it. I don't have the fears that I have now as an adult. I was much more sort of fearless as a kid. Yes, so I would be drawn like bloody Mary, bloody Ray, bloody Mary. I'd be in the bathroom in the dark, in the mirror, saying that I hate that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I like tell I was always too afraid to do this.
Speaker 2: I go in my closet. You know. I was the one who would be like, oh, you guys, let's shot off all the lights and scream or let's all let's go in my closet. It's haunted, you know, if you keep if you go to the back of my closet, it is like another world. It's like the Lion the Witch in the words.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, I would try that and they'd go, we're not joining you in the closet. We want you to come out of the closet. Honey, that's hilarious. Would you ever see the Bloody Mary?
Speaker 2: I think I might have seen something at some point. Yeah, I was pretty you know. I also had a very active you know, my parents dropped me off at a double feature that they didn't fully event They thought it was just Close Encounters to the Third kind, but it was actually Close Encounters and The Manitou, which is a really creepy exorcistrip off, but it's like Native American Indian. It's like this woman grows this Native American spirit out of the and she gives birtue out of her back. Oh and it's the Manitou. Okay, And it's it's a really it's really scary. It's like a B movie. But as a kid, it really screwed me up and haunted me, and I had a very you know, explicit nightmares. I also peed in my bed till I was twelve, So I think that might have been something about like horror and fear.
Speaker 1: Did you why don't you do more horror movies?
Speaker 2: I'm actually gonna be doing. I have two coming out, well actually three, what that I'm working on that all have elements of horror in them. One well, one is very near. I can't talk about that, but that would be pretty much pure horror comedy, which is exciting. The other one is kind of like a dark comedy, but it has a horror It's it's called Kill a boy Band. It's basically a Jawbreaker meets Hard Day's Night because fangirls who accidentally kill well, they might have accidentally killed a member of a boy band and have to get the body out of the hotel, and the body goes through lots of you know, it's in the pool, a top of the roof. It's very macabre.
Speaker 1: You wrote it.
Speaker 2: I adapted if from Hawaii novel Oh cool. Yeah. And then the other project is is a dark it's a dark story about it. I mean, I mean, I mean talking about it's crazy. It's basically a twelve year old girl who thinks she's been made pregnant by her imaginary friend. So it deals with sort of a spirit, an entity that she thinks is present, you know, because imaginary friends are what are those? When a kid has one.
Speaker 1: That I know that scares me? Whatever it is anytime you're around a child that's like, can we make food for Susie? Who's Susie?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So it's about that, and it's of course gets into the truly terrifying idea she could have been raved but she raped? Was it a teacher, a student?
Speaker 1: Was it the therapist? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And it's it deals in those and so it has that definitely has horror elements while not being straight up horror, but it's sometimes I mean, things that aren't straight up horror are even scarier.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. I ghost hunting with a friend and we were with some other ghost hunters, and my friend and I both decided that we were more scared of the people than the ghost. Honey, some of these people.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Hey, you do you want to listen to some ghost voice?
Speaker 2: Yes? Please?
Speaker 1: Okay, it is time for EVP or ev plicse. Do you know what the EVP is?
Speaker 2: What is it? You?
Speaker 1: An e VP is electronic voice right, that's right, that's right, I got you. Yeah. It's when people ghos hunters catch right. Okay, Now, all of these e vps the person certainly found something, but I want you to guess what the ghost hunter gets. They you know, they claim they caught the ghost saying okay, I found these on YouTube. This one is from Bob and Joan st l m O. I think that's Saint Louis, Missouri. This is at the Latham Hospital. Tell me what this sounds like to you. I'll play it again. Were they.
Speaker 2: That's hard to hear. It just sounds a little far away.
Speaker 1: A female voice, definitely, you'll play it once more, though I have a female voice.
Speaker 2: What do you think it is?
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I'll give you some options. Is it a you?
Speaker 2: Okay, Violet?
Speaker 1: It could be you know a fan of Violet Chatski the Dragon?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it b you a cute guy? Maybe the ghost hunter was cute?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: See he will kill violent. That's a creepy one. Or d do you like Robin you know the singer.
Speaker 2: Made Oh yeah, I think I'm gonna go with the Robin.
Speaker 1: No, it's actually a you okay, Violet? Huh, but I think that it's he will kill, which sounds creepy.
Speaker 2: Let me hear what's more. Oh, yeah, it's just scary.
Speaker 1: It is scary whatever, I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's just super creepy. Is that what the sounds like? She's in another the world?
Speaker 1: Is that the demon from your home? Is that what they would?
Speaker 2: They never articulated any words.
Speaker 1: Are you okay?
Speaker 2: I didn't get any of them that I just got, you know, are you okay? I just got my heart being, you know, exert exerted pressure on.
Speaker 1: It's dangerous.
Speaker 2: I know it scary.
Speaker 1: I think about all the time people and I've talked about on the show before when people just die all of a sudden, it could be a ghost. You don't know, a ghost didn't spook them and they had a heart attack or suicide, it could be the ghost like final destination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean when I parked here coming in to your studio.
Speaker 1: Would you bring in here kind of dark energy?
Speaker 2: No? The radio, I was. I got out of the car and then the radio popped on out of the blue. Never does that. I was like, of course I'm going to see ros and talk about ghosts.
Speaker 1: Yep, And you just passed there.
Speaker 2: Coming back I know, and Magnolia is I'm about to go to Magnoli. It's actually work at a coffee house there to do some writing. It was funny cause last night you were do things like will you talk about someone? And then the next day something you see that come in like you conjure them. Like I was at Margaret Chow's show last night and talking to some friends about Friz of balk As you do, right, yeah, And the next day today is her birthday. It's my friend like texting me today on Instagram. I was like, oh my god, it's a birthday. Isn't that witchy that we were talking about her yesterday?
Speaker 1: She has ghost stories. I want to I want to get her in here.
Speaker 2: Oh you have to so well, you know she she used to own pan Pipes, the Witchcraft store on on Quanga.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize I lived in the Villa Carlado where when Fruza lived there during the premiere of The Craft.
Speaker 1: Wait what is the Villa.
Speaker 2: Car It's a building on Franklin and Tamerond, across from the Bourgeois Pig.
Speaker 1: Wait. Wait, across some scienceology celebrity center.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Yes, back in the day, the Scienceology Celebrity Center was a fancy hotel for really high end people. Villa Carlotta was where all the drug drug addicts and prostitutes stayed. It was like the low end one. So the Carlotta is definitely haunted. I mean they've done I've actually done a ghost, a ghost tour of the Carlata ones where they brought on those EVPs and tried to measure stock ghost activity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you lived in that building.
Speaker 2: Yes, this the nineties when first it was there for the premiere of the Craft. Circled the Craft because I remember the night she went to the premiere. I was like sort of like spying on it.
Speaker 1: You're kidding?
Speaker 2: No, is that wild?
Speaker 1: That is so cool? Nineties it's so nice. And then just a couple of years later Jawbreaker.
Speaker 2: I know. But the funny thing about Jawbreaker is that people I often hear and I heard it last night that movie was scared me as a kid, or that I got I was too young when I saw that, it fucked me up or whatever. So that ghost to show that something like Jawbreaker even can have a horror resonance.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean seeing that big, huge Jawbreaker in her throat, Like, that's a lot to take it and even like laughing. I think it's hilarious. Ruse McGowan is like, carry she's yeah, she's she kind of has like an evilness.
Speaker 2: To her, Oh for sure. Oh they call her Satan and Hills. Yeah, Jowbreakers essentially a foul story. He said in high school. You know when Violet's making a deal with the devil or Fern. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, because when that came out, I was nine years of a child. Yeah, I was very young, and I remember being obsessed with her because I was obsessed with Scream and so I was obsessed with her. And then Marilyn Manson as well, and so I mean Marilyn Manson was huge for me as a little kid because he was the one that everyone was like, that's the devil, stay away from him. And I was like, he sounds cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got one more for you. This one. This one comes from Doctor Freeze zero zero seven on YouTube. It is at a location in Raymond, California. Doesn't say much about the location, but it was captured. As it was captured, there was a white mist that they also caught. But guess what this one says it's a little bit deep roof of voice. I'll do it one more time.
Speaker 2: That one's really scary, that a little bit more kind of like get Out horror. Yes, yeah, it's definitely a demon.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's guess.
Speaker 2: Is it the choices.
Speaker 1: A cheat out? You know, like when you're directing a movie and the actors not looking at the camera. Cheat out? Could be that. Now this was in Raymond, California? Is it be everybody loves Raymond? Is it c get Out? Which is already what you guessed. Maybe it was a Jordan Peel fan. Yeah, maybe they like.
Speaker 2: That this is where Jordan got the inspiration.
Speaker 1: Or is it d I Killed the Tan dream?
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, that's it.
Speaker 1: It's get Out. Oh that is not something somewhere you want to be well, speaking of get out with what I have to now that you're here, I haven't had anybody here yet with some demons attached.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: First of all, my heart's palpitating.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it. All the darkness and you think this is like the scariest, one of the scarier moments for you.
Speaker 1: When did this happen?
Speaker 2: This was about a year ago. Yeah, still fresh two years ago. Yeah, and it was scary. It was super scary.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm my heart is palpitating. It has nothing to do with this girl.
Speaker 2: And it's black. I love how i'd say package is a black? Is that the Halloween packaging? Or is it always in a pitch back?
Speaker 1: Welcome to seven eleven?
Speaker 2: That is gothic?
Speaker 1: Wait what were you telling me about? There was a bathtub story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the Villa Carlotta. It's a very old building with lots of ghosts, like they should they edited I shot, I mean not I Shoty Warhol. Paul Morrisey edited Andy Warhol's Frankenstein there. I mean, g stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know any what is that building now?
Speaker 2: Now it's condos. It's all ready furbished. It's like there's a valet. It's fancy. Becka.
Speaker 1: I lived there.
Speaker 2: One bedroom was eight hundred dollars or eight fifty and it was beautiful, like high ceilings. It was the same architectures the Chateau Marmont. I mean, it's beautiful, but they shot like Smashing Pumpkins zero music video in the lobby. The lobby was incredible, but lots of ghosts in that place. And they said I had heard or I might have made up. I don't know if, because once again I am a imaginative writer type director or whatever. So like I heard that like two lovers, female lovers, lesbians like you know, died in my apartment that we were in in the Villa Carlata, our apartment two o seven. But once again I might have made that up. I was in my twenties, you know. We had a good time. Yeah, but when me and my ex moved out of there, we gave it to our friends and an Anthony. It's actually Anthony Russo who directed it at Adventures Endgame Cool. And Anne was the goth girl and jawbreaker. She's been in all my I always give her a part in all my movies. She's the one who's like, you got a still born, you know, when she sicks her nails.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So everyone likes to get an apartment in that building because it's really hard to get into and it's a beautiful, magical building, you know, and all that. So I said to Anne, you know, do not whatever you do, don't take a bath, you know. I was telling her, you know, about the ins and outs of the of the apartment. And she's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, well, because you know, these two lesbians who lived here back in the twenties or thirties killed each other in the bathtub, you know, slit the wrists and bled to death in the bath and they didn't find them, and over the water over flowed into the lobby below. Blah blah blah. And I forgot and I think I was telling I think it was a joke. I was going to tell her I'm in this kidding blah blah blah. But I forgot to tell her I was kidding. And I guess in a few years she lived there, she never took a bath. Oh no, And she told me that recently. She's like, Darren, you never told me, She goes, I never used the bath there, because you've said those lesbians kill each other in it.
Speaker 1: But there's a possibility that you didn't make it up.
Speaker 2: You're right. Everything comes from somewhere, you know, in that building. Yeah, for sure, I was living there.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm obsessed with that building.
Speaker 2: It's really wild. I mean you could research it online. The Villa Carlata. Yeah, it has a storied. You know who lived there when I was There also Lisa Marie Presley's ex Danny Keo, oh you said dat back. He had this very exotic wood carved Indian bed from India that I me and my ex boyfriend bought from him. Had it was like, you know, six feet off the ground, you were you felt like you were a ladin on this bed. It was like wood carved bed from India. Oh cool, It was like a double. It was not like the most comfortable thing, but you felt like you were like, you know, in this exotic you know, sort of like Arabian nights scenario.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that actually. Note that reminds me of because I did all this research last night when I was looking up haunted items. Yeah, and tons of people said me, this article about this thrift store. Did you buy a chance to see this headline? There was a thrif store that had haunted furniture and it was a big carved in wood bed canopy situation. And it was in North Carolina and this couple, this man and this woman bought it for one thousand dollars and they reported that they kept having continuous nightmares and their dogs, much like your dogs, were barking at There was a dresser with it. It was a dresser in a bed and the dogs would not stop barking. So they returned it and the actual thrill store, which is a Christian owned thrift store, they decided, the officials of the store or whatever, decided to put a warning on it that said, the previous owners have reported that this is haunted, so be warned in a thousand bucks. So I don't know. I don't know if anyone bought it again, but if anyone wants it North Carolina, look it up.
Speaker 2: That's very I commend the people who put the sign up. That's responsible and really caring. That's a nice well looking at after their fellow human being.
Speaker 1: Because somebody in our Facebook group was talking about how actually here I would pull it up. It is from Chris. He said, my roommate is a lawyer and he told me that they reviewed the Amneville horror House and it falls under what they call stigmatized property. Oh interesting, So he actually put in the Facebook group a whole Wikipedia thing about stigmatized property and this is so interesting, says. These can include death of an occupant, murder, suicide, and belief that the house is haunted. So and wait, what are the examples. Yes, the examples would be the Amnieville Horror House because of all that. Yeah, so I think that it is it is something that yeah, you should kind of I get it, you're trying to make the sale, but come on, oh yeah you should let people know.
Speaker 2: You really should. I remember writing a book report about the Amityville Horror I read that book when I was in first grade. I think first, I want to say first grade. How old are you in first grade? Like six or seven? Yeah, I was a little you know, darkling, You're just like me. Yeah, it's weird. I think it's just this thing you are. It's like part of your DNA. It's what attracts you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like it's an attraction to. That's what I was just saying on our friend Michael Barrotti's podcast, is that I've always been so attracted to and it goes along with drag things that are seem like everyday live, but there's just something is it gets it, It gets flipped on its head somehow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what that's how I describe horror. Actually, yeah, because I heard you say that on Michael's podcast, And it's like when something in everyday life suddenly goes wrong. Yes, it can be, and that's that's horror. It's it's it's it's it's it's that thing of I'm not safe in my in my regular environments for some reason suddenly. Yeah, that's terrifying that idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's what drag kind of is to me as well, which is like, you know, you're fooling around with gender and being just over the top, but still in an everyday environment. I love a drag queen that's like put in a place where there's no other drag queens and oh yeah, it's like, what's that one thing that's making this kind of an otherworldly experience?
Speaker 2: Totally. That's how I felt when I saw Frankenfurter, and that was mixing. I mean, that was called the Rocky Horror Picture Show. So as far as I'm concerned, Frankenforter was you know, rock, horror, drag, all those things in one package.
Speaker 1: Totally. And when you think about the two uh, oh my god, I can't think of their names right now. Who are the the two normal people? And Janet Brad and Janet of course when they go into that world, right, they're not from that kind of world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's enormies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're about here.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for having me that out.
Speaker 1: Tell people what you got going on. Where we can find.
Speaker 2: Y'all on Instagram. It's just my name Darren Stein at D A R R E and Stein st E I N Instagram, Twitter, and you'll be seeing some films from me very soon.
Speaker 1: And where can they find the demon that's attached to you?
Speaker 2: There's no demon attached to me. It's been exercise. It's been gone for a.
Speaker 1: While, literally exercise on the treadmill. That's what happened. When the doctor they said you need to exercise.
Speaker 2: And like we're gonna give you the Linda Blair treatment, touch some you know, wires to you. But then when I pulled up to your studio, am I radio turn on again? Inexplicably? Is? I don't know? I will let you know TBD to be continued.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, we'll have to do a check up in a couple of months. Well, thank you so much to Darren Stein. Guys. As always, you know, check out the Facebook group ghosted by Rob's Dress for Laus, join us, you know, post your thoughts, feelings, comments, concerns, all that kind of fun. Stuff, and please give us a five star rating on Apple Podcasts. Write a nice review, that would be great. I'm all over the place on you know, social media, Roth Durez Fales And if you want to see me in person this weekend, if you're in West Hollywood, I'm going to be at the Abby hosting the brunch there, which I believe the show starts at one pm and that's always a good time. And Repol's drag Con is happening this weekend, which yeah, I might, I might be there. You might see me. I'll be around and uh yeah, I'm I'm recording tons of episodes this week, so we've got a lot coming at you. And Honey, they will not do his little point. So keep telling your friends about the show. I'm so happy that we keep growing. I keep hearing such great things from all the people that are listening to it. I love you guys so much, but both living and dad. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me. Okay, Bye, Star bans On There a podcast network