Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 1: Good morning, everybody, Happy Monday. I have an amazing show for buddy today. What do we have, Crystal?
Speaker 4: Indeed we do.
Speaker 2: The Taco cycle continues on Iran. Trump backs down after making a series of extraordinary threats.
Speaker 4: Stop me if you've heard this one before.
Speaker 2: We'll break down the very latest here. Meanwhile, Top brass in military warning that we can choose. We can either protect Israel or we can protect the homeland. So that seems great. This comes as US four versus are withdrawing from a rock and a series of warnings have gone out to embassies across the region. Connerson Max Miller is under fire for domestic abuse allegations. We've got some new details there and a wild video that he released doubling down and trying to defend himself. It appears that the US and Israel may have been behind a hybrid war up against Spain, possibly looking likely.
Speaker 4: We'll show you all the evidence.
Speaker 2: Van David Rojas is going to join us to break down what happened in Seyouta with this migrant quote unquote invasion. Meanwhile, New York is suing Calshi for the right to control gambling in their own state. This is a major, major lawsuit which will determine whether or not states have any say whatsoever in what is allowed to go in their state with regards to gambling.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is a landmark lawsuit. It will literally determine the fate of sports gambling nationwide and.
Speaker 3: Also give just people some details about how explosive.
Speaker 1: Gambling has become here in our society.
Speaker 3: Thank you to everybody who has been signing up Breaking Points at dot com. You can go ahead and sign up for our free newsletter. We have a big announcement actually that's coming tomorrow and that will be released on our newsletter for all of our subscribers. So it's totally free to be able to sign up Breakpoints dot Com, or you can support our premium subscription program, which is also available at our website. If you're watching this on YouTube, please hit subscribe to our YouTube channel. If you're listening to the podcast, please share an episode with a thread. But as Crystal said, let's go ahead and begin with Taco Sunday of what we saw. Let's put a one up here on the screen.
Speaker 1: Trump.
Speaker 3: The USA is locked and loaded, ready to go against the Islamic Republic of Iran at levels of military terror, strength and power not.
Speaker 1: Seen since World War Two.
Speaker 3: Despite this, we have just been asked by Iran and other Middle Eastern countries to hold off any attack in that the parameters of a deal has been agreed to. This would include the immediate, complete and total opening of the Horne moves straight and an end to Iran's nuclear threat. On this request, I have agreed, for the future benefit of the world and likewise the survival of a successful and prosperous Iran, to cancel the attack subject to being able to rapidly make a deal. The country of Israel joins me in this commitment. Get to work, everybody, get it done. Thank you for your attention to this matter, President Donald J.
Speaker 1: Trump.
Speaker 3: So this comes on the heels of some leakage that came out of the White House. What we can now very clearly see was an op President Trump met on Friday with his entire cabinet in which he convened a big meeting about Iran. And in that meeting, what immediately came out and leaks to Axio, CBS News and otherwise was the US was planning a massive attack on Iran's energy infrastructure in conjunction with the nation of Israel. Now, immediately many people said, well, you know, if you were going to do a big attack, which you necessarily leak it in the first place, many speculated that it was indeed an opening and a threat to try and get Iran to capitulate. However, Iran did not capitulate, that they did not come to the table, no deal actually was reached, and when push came to shove, Trump ultimately just decided to cancel it because of the dire warnings from his own military. And we know this because Iran has released this let's put it up here on the screen. They say the plan to reopen the Strait of Hormuz is false. A source close to the nuclear negotiation team this is from Iranian state media told far As Media there is no agreement regarding the reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
Speaker 1: The news published about it is false.
Speaker 3: Furthermore, a military source emphasized, as long as the United States continues as hostile actions, the Strait of hormuves remains closed. The passes of ships will only be possible through the designated route and with permission from the Navy of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Hours ago, some media outlets affiliated with the enemy claimed Iran had agreed to reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a plan which ships would enter the Persian Gulf through the Iranian territorial waters and exit through Omani territorial waters. Basically crystal from what we can see so far is that this so called parameter of a deal is based upon a meeting in which nothing was agreed to between the Omani's and between the Iranians, in which they were hashing out for themselves whether ships were able to enter through Iran and exit through the Omani Route. Remember, the United States is currently trying to route all traffic through the Omani Route outside of Iranian territorial waters, of course, which has been met with Iranian fire because of their control of the Strait of Our Moose. In fact, just hours after this deal was supposedly announced, Iran fired at a tanker which was trying to do just that hours ago. As of last night, so nothing has actually been agreed to. The blockade is on Trump just completely basically. I mean, you know, chickened out because we want him to taco. We want that here on this show. But ultimately it came down to bluster threats didn't follow through because the entire Gulf was like, please do not do this. You can't defend us, and then our infrastructure will also be destroyed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, And I wouldn't be surprised at all because has agreed to nothing if they continue to take shots at strategic assets in the region, because you know, their view is that they need to continue to make us pay and force Trump to do more than chicken out, because it's not enough for him to just walk away from the current insane threat that he's making. He actually has to accept a defeat. And that's why you can never you can never dismiss these wild ravings from him. You know, we see assets moving to the region, we see him making these very public threats, we see leaks in the press about wild plans that are being hatched and considered in the situation room, and you can't dismiss it, even though we go through this cycle time and time again, because it's impossible to see him also accepting the deal that would be on the table, which would acknowledge that we have been completely defeated. So we're now in this no man's land where it is very precarious, where it is very uncertain what the next move is ultimately going to be, and you cannot rule out that he may get frustrated at some point and do some wild you know, nuclear attack on Pickaxe Mountain or try to seize carg Island, et cetera. Put a seven up on the screen. You flagged this this morning. I mean, this gives you a sense of just how desperate at of ideas they are. They've taken to like crowdsourcing strategies for an attack.
Speaker 4: Here, this is from CNN.
Speaker 2: They say exclusive US military as troops for creative and unconventional ideas to punish Iran. The request from a senior officer at the US military command carrying out President Donald Trump's war with Iran came in an email. We need ideas. We are looking for new, creative and unconventional ways to pressure and punish Iran, an officer and US sent Comm's intelligence branch wrote in a message sent Wednesday to a broad group of military analysts, according to a source familiar. Second source also said a senior US military officer sent the message last week, soliciting new ideas for how to deal with Iran. The crowdsourcing style query, which military officials said was unusual over email, is one sign of the limited and potentially unpalatable options available to Trump to force Iran into a deal on his terms. Hoping to find an alternative, official at Sencom kicked off the brainstorming session via email to see if anyone had a better idea. The second source SITCOM is looking at everything, acknowledging it needs to reevaluate the strategy. I mean this is wild, I mean saber, think about think about this?
Speaker 4: How long?
Speaker 2: How many decades has the US military been thinking about and wargaming and planning out what they would do vis a vis Iran, considering we thought every possible scenario. And so if you think, you know, if you're listening to Mark Levin or you're missing listening to Ben Shapiro and you're hearing all this confidence from people, Oh, we just need to strike them harder, we just need to bomb them a little bit more, and it's all going to work out. The US military doesn't think, so they are literally out of ideas and having to go to the crowd. I don't know were we got nothing? You guys got any thoughts on what we could do here?
Speaker 3: Forty seven years, trillions of dollars and all I got was this lousy email.
Speaker 1: I mean that kind of.
Speaker 3: Sus top basically where we're at. You're going to the junior officer corps and be like, hey, we've only spent our entire careers planning for this. This has been the number one thing, the op plan on the desk and sent com commander. It's literally his job every year to update the plan. And they executed that plan. It was a tremendous failure. So what does that say about them? And I'm sure there's some junior military officer and other who's trying to come up with some better ideas, and they could try, but the end of the day, you know, what we have in front of us is very simple, is within the bounds of what Trump actually this is. And this, this dispels the entire thing. This is not a military problem. This is a political problem, because if this had a military solution, it would have already been done. When it comes to unconventional ideas, and you know, let's take past wars where the US was bought in, like World War two or others. What would happen in a situation like this is they would have buy in from the business community, from the intellectuals, from all of society who are all working together to creatively solve this very very thorny issue. But here the vast majority of the population, we want out any corporation that's not a defense contract or other that's engaged in trying to do this. We're like, whoah, we don't want to continue this war. We want this over with, done for. And that's the biggest problem that the White House faces politically.
Speaker 1: We don't want a ground invasion.
Speaker 3: Sure it could happen, but that's not necessarily something that any of us want at all.
Speaker 1: In fact, we want the total opposite.
Speaker 3: And that's why within the confines of what Trump has, where he has to have minimal casualties and he wants to inflict maximum damage, there is no military solution to this problem.
Speaker 1: Period.
Speaker 3: The sooner that we get to capitulation and to acknowledging de facto Iranian control over the Strait of Hormuz, the better we all are off. And in fact, you can even see any even signs of peace quote unquote, or even lack of action. You know, oil isn't like eighty something dollars a barrel. You know, if this comes and stays for the next two weeks, you will see dipping below four dollars, and it'll just continue to be this on and off cycle. But I do think that your point about how the Iranians will very likely continue to punish is because they see that the problem of oil continuing to go up and down, and you know, up and down is giving the White House the runway necessarily that they don't want, because remember, the blockade is still in power, and their economy is still suffering. They have a much higher capacity for suffering than we do. They've lost I mean, so many more people in the in the engagements.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're going to talk about one of them. Actually, maybe we can just put.
Speaker 3: It up here now a five for example, all of what's being done in our name, you know, right now, it appears to the United States we dropped a two thousand pound bomb on a family home on Keshiam Island, killing a husband, a wife, and their two year old son. The paper found no indication of a nearby military target. You can see the crater. I mean, it is stunning, like genuinely crazy scenes out of Gaza. Why did we kill these people for no reason? You know, absolutely not, and their blood was shed for literally nothing in this case, you know. And it shows also the point about scentcom being like we need more ideas, we've run out of targets. It appears if we're going around we're hitting family homes with two thousand pound bombs. We're just bombing random stuff in and along the straight up our moves or where Iranian air defense capabilities are head and so you can see like it is just a never ending cycle of we bomb simply for the sake of bombing all blying a you know, an actual diplomatic solution, and that diplomatic solution will will involve the greatest strategic defeat of the United States in modern history.
Speaker 1: And that's simply people.
Speaker 3: We have to swallow it until we get until we get used to that idea. Then this is just going to be the status quo. And the President has not suffered nearly enough to be able to get him to that point because we all know, you know what it's going to have to look like. It's just it is the simple reality of the current facts that are in front of us.
Speaker 2: I mean, this two thousand pound bomb dropped on a family home, trusts, constant threats to commit war crimes against civilian and infrastructure, the of course triple bombing of a girls' school, which I don't think anyone could say with a straight face for sure was unintentional. We act just like the Israelis now. You know, we spend a long time covering the genocide in Gaza, saying that with all of the qualms and critiques that we have of the way the US military behaved in Iraq and Afghanistan, there were some lines and I don't think that we can really say that anymore, you know, I don't think that we would give in a similar scenario. I mean, we backed the entire Gaza genocide, so how can we even say separate ourselves from any of this. This is exactly the way that Israel behaves is the way we behave and we think nothing of taking your tax dollars and using it to buy two thousand pound bombs that we drop on family homes, you know, in Iran. So that is what our country is at this point, and people should be horrified by that. Do you have any expectation that the Trump administration will engage in any sort of investigation to find out.
Speaker 4: What happens here?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Because there was theoretically an investigation into the girls school bombing, and Trump came out and said, oh, well, we'll never know what happened, meaning they'll never release the results. They know exactly exactly what happened there. A couple things with regard to the let's crowdsource and brainstorm the next move here because we're out of ideas. Do you think Iron's ount of ideas? No, they know exactly what they would do next. They know exactly the way that they would escalate. They have lots of ideas for how they could cause even more pain and tighten the grip on the global economy, which is obviously a primary strategy for them. So while we're running around, I don't know what we do next. We kind of blew our load with all the targets and none of it's really having an impat And don't really want to do this ground invasion because it will be a complete and total disaster and probably won't work anyway. Don't really want to do the whole tactical nuclear weapon on Pickax Mountain.
Speaker 4: Because of what that will unleash.
Speaker 2: Iran has a plan and a strategy and has been executing it quite effectively, so their coherence versus are chaotic. Incoherence, I think tells you a lot to begin with here, and let's go in. Put a six up on the screen. In terms of how Iran is thinking about this, this is from treet de Parsi. He's reflecting on the latest Taco cycle. He says, yet another apocalyptic threat followed by another self congratulatory climb down. The pattern is becoming tiresome. By now, unable to escalate his way on of the self inflicted debacle, Trump tries to bluff his way out, except Tehran is not falling for it. Rather, it is confidently raising the stakes, calculating Trump will only fully commit to a diplomatic solution once he has internalized that he does not have a military option. It's a risky strategy with potential attacks in Egypt and cyber attacks in the US. Will get to that in just a moment, but one that the new and far lesser strained military leadership believes is more likely to achieve security than giving into Trump. So the next few days will undoubtedly be eventful, and he's holding a Q and A session Friday. I believe you can sign up over at his substack, which of course we recommend that you do. But you know, the reality here is Sager. It's easy for us to sit here and say, hey, Taco all the way like, let's get the hell out of here. That's what's going to be best for the US. That's what's going to be best for the war, for the world. This war is an utter and complete disaster if you're Trump. And by the way, also if you are a member of the military brass the deep state, you're ideologically committed to the US empire. We have to acknowledge that basically the end of the US Empire admitting defeat and meaning that admitting that we can't control the waterways. I mean, what are we as an empire if we aren't, you know, out there to secure free trade, free global trade and commerce around the world. If we have to acknowledge, no, we can't do this with iron even if we wanted to, they get to have a say that is basically the end of US Empire. And so that's why even a lot of the military brass that had a lot of reservations going into this, which were expressed clearly not force fully enough to Trump, why they're still going to be trying to figure this thing out and trying to come up with a solution. Okay, if we do, you know, some insane bombing campaign, if we do some sort of raid, maybe there's some sort of hacking up, maybe we can take on a few more regime leaders, they're going to throw a lot at the wall because they've realized that it is kind of all on the line here, and you know, they're ideologically committed to the continuance of the US Empire. And so that's why in a lot of ways them and Trump are in the same boat at this point.
Speaker 3: Right that explains at one point five trillion dollar military spending because they're like, oh, we just have to spend even more on the exact same weapons that got us into the same situation.
Speaker 1: That we're in right now.
Speaker 3: We could have more weapons. Wouldn't matter, It literally wouldn't matter. Wouldn't change anything about Iranian capitulation zero. What it would change, obviously, is the American ability to defend other far fling parts of our empire. But this is going to create like the husbandry of resources, which is a disaster ultimately to the prestige and to the image. Because it was inconceivable, even to extreme military skeptics like me, that we would be in this situation today. I mean, all the script was written, though, to be fair, when we look at the drone threat, when we look at the interestet we talked about here for years and years, from the Ukraine conflict to the Operation Midnight Hammer, the Reduction of Thad. The script was there, but nobody expected I think the Third Act to go in the direction that it ultimately did. So now what's going to happen In my opinion, this like Phase two style type thing where we have no war and no peace. It's going to happen for a very long period of time for the exactly the situation that you just laid out. It's just like Afghanistan. Admitting defeat is so catastrophic to the image and prestige and of the United States and its military that we will throw good money after bad ten times over just to not have to admit defeat. And Trump will have to be brought to a crushing economic situation to ultimately recognize the de facto Irani and Romani control of the Strait of Hormuz. Many, you know, the cranks of the people like us who are like, why are we in this? We will all be vindicated in the end, don't worry. But in the interim, like you said, there are very very powerful people here in Washington, many of whom didn't even agree or want to launch the war in the first place, who are now like, we have to put it all on the line, this very First World war mentality. You could see it through all ages, in all warfare. Even though you have a useless and stupid situation, you're like, well, for the future, for us as a nation to be able to survive, we have to continue to do that. And that's how you end up in these prolonged and disastrous quagmires in Vietnam, perfect example.
Speaker 1: Highly recommend everybody you know. You know, if you read and look at.
Speaker 3: The exact situation from how you go to a few thousand military advisors to five hundred thousand American troops on the ground.
Speaker 1: It took five years.
Speaker 3: It's nothing, but the logic in which it all happened is exactly the way that it is right now. I don't think we'll end up with ground troops at least in a prolonged occupation sense like we are with it, but that doesn't make it any less catastrophic.
Speaker 2: We're basically all sitting here waiting around for either a catastrophic economic crisis or a catastrophic political crisis, because those are the things that would force this to an end. And that is the Iranian understanding. So when will that come? You know, We're We've talked endlessly about the strategic petroleum reserve, about the oil markets. There's all sorts of you know, interconnectivities in the economy that very hard even for experts to predict when something is going to break in a catastrophic manner. We're basically waiting around for that or we're waiting around for the sort of political crisis, you know, visa Vietnam, like a similar level political crisis that forces Trump's hand, enforces an end here, although I think he's more impervious to those horses, you know, than previous presidents were. And for him, as long as he is like, you know, staying out of prison and getting rich, then he only cares so much. But the economic crisis, he doesn't want to be remembered as Herbert Hoover. So so that's kind of where we are, is just sitting here and wondering when the global economic system is going to completely fall apart in a way that forces their hand. And that's kind of a terrible place to be.
Speaker 1: Right, and it could take years, years and years.
Speaker 3: So that's why we really need to buckle in. Let's put a four up here on the screen. This is very important. Also, you know we were talking here a little bit about the empire. Well, it turns out that Saudi Crown Prince MBS is one of the main reasons that these attacks did not go forward. The Kingdom, by the way, even released their readout of the call where they explicitly said the Crown Prince asked President Trump not to resume major air strikes on Iran. You never see that out of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. What they see here is that Salmon spoke to President Trump on Saturday express concern over his plans for massive new strikes, because of course Iran had actually published a list of sites that would be struck in retaliation, many of them in Saudi Arabia, which would have sent oil prices absolutely skyrocketing. Quote the Saudi's express concern, asked for clarity about the plan of action. NBS urged Trump to de escalate and from launching the strikes. The apparently the Saudi Defense Minister, who I think is the brother known as KBS, came to Washington thirteen hour flight for a single meeting just with the Vice President J. Dve Hans, in which he begged him please do not go forward with these new strikes, and then.
Speaker 1: Flew back to Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 3: That's how twenty six hours on a plane for a one hour meeting in which they saw the situation that dire that they couldn't even just pick up the phone, I think again, just underscoring he's oh, he's got he's definitely got Let's not, let's not you know, cry too many tears for the for the rich princes of the House of Riod, but you know, or the House of Sods. Sorry, but I do think it underscores just how much of a pain position that they are in. How the UA so Saudi's in that position too, where remember they're exporting some oil. The UAE and Bahrain are apparently pissed off at the United States for not escalating the conflict because they're done.
Speaker 1: They're locked in right now.
Speaker 3: And they're also I mean, UA is not getting pounded as much, but Bahrain and Kuwait absolutely are. And they're like, hey, why have we been buying all these weapons? We need more interceptors, and Trump and them are like, yeah, you needed interceptors, so does Ukraine, and so do we. So basically we're the only ones getting them because we're the ones who make it, which is what's making everybody rethink their alliance. But I do think you know, to the empire point, when you imagine this, you have an empire of antiquity, you have the provinces of which you have guaranteed their security. You start a war, which is disastrous for said provinces, and then the provinces I guess usually would say, hey, you need to come and defend us. But when it gets revealed that you can't defend them, then of course you're gonna have to go back to the Imperial capital and say please, please, don't stop, because you don't have the capacity to defend us, which means that you're actually going to inflict pain. And that is, as you said at the beginning of the end. None of this will happen overnight. It happens over many, many years. But you know, you can it is very easy, I think, at least in this position now, to say generally, based upon the course of history, we know where this story is going to go, and none of it is good for the US's ability to defend you know, quote unquote allies. And I mean, you know, I talk a lot here and I have for many years about NATO and all that. I don't care about Estonia and Latvia or any of the far flung posts, you know, nineteen nineties additions. But I do care a lot about Japan and South Korea, about really like the UK, I mean, you know, Australia, actual critical trading partners, allies of the United States, and right now we're in a situation where that's in question, and that's what I think should scare everybody.
Speaker 4: Do you care about SAYU to Spain because the place I never knew existed.
Speaker 1: Didn't even very interested. Now now, I mean, I got to be honest, it is fascinating, totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I started going down that history rabbit hole too. We'll get to that in a minute. So just one last thing on in terms of the allies, the Saudis have enough sort of size and societal strength and position that I think they feel like, you know, they'll be they'll be okay out of this uh war.
Speaker 4: They don't like the attacks.
Speaker 2: This is very bad for them, very bad for their economy, all of that stuff, And so that's why they're coming and like, hey, could we not do this? You know, this hasn't worked out the way that you said it was going to work out, because there were was reporting that early on when Trump was saying, hey, it's going to be four days, no problem, We're going to take them out. It's going to be great. That Iranian has been a pain in your butt. Now you'll have more ascendance in the region. They were like, great, cool when this hasn't gone the way they wanted. Now they want out now, they want a deal, They want this to be done. They want to go back to sort of normal course of order. Not that that's entirely possible, but Rain and UAE are more in the boat of sort of like the US Empire protectors, like this is genuinely existential. UA is barely a country. I mean, it really isn't quite a proper country, and their whole thing is built on their brand as this luxury respite for the global elite, the global money launderers to come and stay and enjoy and park their money. Being in a war zone is not part of that deal. So they've got a real existential problem. And then Bahrain has a problem as well because their leadership doesn't have a lot of legitimacy. You've got a lot of sites there or sympathetic to Iran, so they haven't an existential issue as well. So I think for those countries you can understand they're in this sort of like all or nothing place as well. Where to end the war now is going to be somewhat unacceptable for them because they've you know, that threat will remain, and that threat will loom and will undermine the very sort of underpinnings of their of their states such as they are. So I think that's part of why you see a different response there. Let's put a three up on the screen. You know, I'm not really sure what to make of this, but in terms of what the Iranians are up to or could be up to, there's a report from the New York Times, and we've seen some other reporting that the Iranians have. It looks like potentially the Iranians have hacked US water supply systems in seven different states that we know of, Minnesota being one, Michigan being the other. I don't think we know what the other five states are specifically. This is one of those saga where they say, well, it bears the hallmarks of an Iranian hack.
Speaker 4: We don't know for sure. It's possible. You know.
Speaker 2: I take it sort of more seriously than perhaps I otherwise would, for two reasons. Number one, because Trump wants to downplay it, Like if this was some sort of a you know, an intel op from the US government or from the Israelis, it feels like Trump would embrace it. Oh yeah, they're coming after us. That's why we've got to attack them, We've got to neutralize the threat, et cetera. He has very much wanted to downplay these and even tried to blame the Minnesota government for hacking their own water system.
Speaker 4: Okay, sure.
Speaker 2: And then the other reason is because true to Parsi, of course, we have a lot of respect for thinks that it's possible that this was the Iranians as well as a sort of warning shot. They didn't do anything here that really caused problems. It was more of an announcement of their capabilities of hey, you know, nice water supply system you have. They're connected to the internet. Shame if something would happen to it. Again, I'm not sure, and neither are the analysts who are quoted in this New York times pace, but it's definitely something to consider and pay attention to because we feel very protected here in the US. We have, you know, a lot of our own geographic advantages which are tremendous, and we know that Iranian missiles can't reach our homeland.
Speaker 4: Our shores here.
Speaker 2: It's a reminder that in a world that is completely interconnected, they still do have potential ways to you know, disrupt life here. As well and get at us and mess with us. And of course we know that also from every time we to the gas pump and see what the price is.
Speaker 3: I am always skeptical of these types of stories. Everyone should be too. It does make sense in the way they traded to put it, and that it would be the horizontal escalation in terms of you mess with our power plants, We're going to try.
Speaker 1: And mess with yours.
Speaker 3: And it has always been kind of a glaring cybersecurity problem that we have major holes and problems with our utility companies energy. I mean even in terms of our airlines. You know, United or American gets grounded every other week because of an IT problem.
Speaker 1: We don't know why, but that's hundreds.
Speaker 3: Of billions of dollars you know, at stake if that we were to have a sustained shutdown.
Speaker 1: So it's very possible that could be there. Obviously, we'll watch it.
Speaker 3: Like you said, too, Trump downplaying it does seem to actually make me think, hmm, maybe there was actually something there. Because if it were real, or if it were something that or sorry, if it weren't real, if it was like a manufactured thing to try and to escalate the war, then people who would want to use it as a pretext would certainly be crying. So we'll see they make knowing this administration, they may turn around and do sometime in the future. All right, let's get to the military.
Speaker 2: One of the things that we have learned from this war is what a failure the US basing strategy has been throughout the region. And now we have this extraordinary development we can put up here on the screen. After how many years have we been in Iraq because of this war, it appears that we are approaching an actual full withdrawal from Iraq. As bases in the Kurdistan region face attacks from Iran and their proxies, Patriot air defense systems that detect and shoot down incoming missiles and drones have already been removed. According to Al Monitor and their sources, let me go ahead and read you a little bit of this article. They say the US military has started to draw down its last remaining forces from Iraq station in the vicinity vicinity of Ourbiel's Airport in the Iraqi Kurdistan region. Well placed sources tell al Monitor Patriot mobile air to surface air defense systems that detect and shoes down incoming missiles, drones, and other airborne enemy equipment have already been removed from the military compound. The pullout started last week and is ongoing, with the bulk of the US forces and their heavy equipment out. All of the Patriot anti missile batteries had been redeployed to an undisclosed destination, they said, adding that other defensive weapons systems remained in place as of the time of publication. Regional officials claim the pullout was sager routine and in line with the US commitment to withdraw all its forces from Iraq by a September thirtieth deadline that was agreed with Baghdad. So I think we can read the tea laves here, and I mean this is pretty extraordinary. Basically, Iran wants us out of the region, and in a way, we are being forced to oblige because we can no longer protect our forces throughout the region. We have to marshal our resources as we run low on all sorts of missiles and missile interceptors and all the rest. So we have to strategically reposition to make sure we can attack I guess the most vital assets at this point, and so after all of this. It is now the Iran war that has actually forced us to fully withdraw from Iraq, where we never should have been in the first place.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's kind of where I was going to start. It's like, well, let's actually look at the history of the space of Kurdistan. This was one of the jump off points between the United States and ISIS where we fought side by side the United States Special Forces and a lot of the Kurdish troops that helped defeat ISIS both in Iraq and in Syria. But then let's actually take a step back even further and let's think about why these bases and all of that have to be driven out in the first place. Is the truth is, we invaded this country of Iraq, and yeah, we deposed Saddam Hussein and we turned it by our own admission, into an Iranian proxy state, in which the Iraqi Prime Minister has had to come here to Washington and effectively demand, as of a few weeks ago, that we leave. And remember that was an agreement that was agreed to in the Oval Office in which Trump and the Iraqi PM said, yes, the United States is to exit the country, but it's going to do so not on terms that are ours and not in terms of a quote unquote prosperous Iraq that has the ability to thrive as a democracy is George W. Bush and all that's sold to us, but one in which there are major Iranian military proxies which have the ability to shoot drones at American service members. And don't forget this is also where multiple service members were dyed in a mysterious air crash of those two tankers. Let's not forget that. And there's still a lot of questions that surround it. In addition to just last week that unexploded drone that actually was exploded by some EOD tech and ended up killing a nearby American service member. That happened in Iraq alongside those three casualties that also happened in Jordan. So we still have forces that are there on the ground having to leave basically unceremoniously, and in the midst of all of this, especially not on our own terms, does demonstrate ultimately the benefit to Iran and to their strategy. This also comes on the heels of the empty we've seen previously of the Aladeid Air Base in Doha, which was a huge base of operations. I used to live very nearby it SEC seventeen's and these transport planes that were.
Speaker 1: Coming in I was there in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: The would be coming in all hours of the day bringing in supplies and troops and all this other stuff for the war in Iraq. To have to abandon that for the drone or the missile threat is crazy. We also have seen similar situation in Kuwait and Bahrain in which the air defense either was knocked out or non existent, troops having to go sleep in hotels. So we've seen this now time and time again, where being driven out not just the basis, but of the ability to use them for the function that we ultimately wanted, which is the major problem. And I think that you compare this, as we've talked about previously with the military failure. The truth is is like we are living through what is technically called like a revolution in military affairs. I won't go into all of it, but it is a fascinating intellectual exercise in which you know the ways in which warfare is conducted and understood is complete lately. Change I've talked to here previously about the battleship and World War two and how what changed about the what changed in the theory of the battleship to ability to project power and how that was blown up in a single second whenever aircraft were able to sink them in a matter of seconds. It completely changed the understanding of naval warfare at that time. Well this time, you know, it also happened in the nineteen nineties. Again bore everybody with the details. But the drone threat and the missile threat in particular, along with the interceptor math and the exchange between those two is another one I think that we're all living through. And I saw some discussion about that today and you can actually see it with B three, which is really shocking. I mean, first of all, when we read this headline, some might even ask why are we protecting Israel in the first place. But the top the US general in the region has now warned the Pentagon quote hey lacks sufficient forces to protect Israel. He says that a shortage of navy destroyers used to defend against Iranian ballistic missile attacks will now have to force the head of European Command to prioritize the US homeland instead. He says that the Pentagon this week he lacks sufficient naval forces to continue protecting Israel from incoming ballistic missiles, illustrating how the ongoing Iran war has imposed the constraints on the military and that he will be forced to choose between defense of the US quote homeland as in basis, over that of Israel, who, like some others, spoke on the condition of anonymity here to the Washington Posts. But what I think this demonstrates, first of all, is that same empire problem that we had previously. Don't forget that we had a situation where the United States was expending more of our interceptors than Israel was expending of their own, even though they have them. Why for no reason that has ever been revealed here to the public. Let's not forget that in the Operation Midnight Hammer in thirteen days, the United States expended twenty five percent of the entire THAD inventory, twenty five percent of everything that we had, just to shoot down missiles that were headed towards Israel, not towards the United States. So see now how the defense of Israel, not just in terms of them dragging us into this war or being complicit, et cetera, convincing Trump to do it, but even just the sheer military defense of them, what it has cost us and allies that are actually.
Speaker 1: Meaningful and helpful to our country.
Speaker 3: I think when you pour these two things together, or a pair of these two things together, and then show these golf allies, which, by the way, you know, I'm not some big golf defender, but if you're going to look at it in a balance sheet, you'd say, we get a hell of a lot more from Kuwait or Bahrain or any of these places than we do from Israel, this tiny little country with no even oil or in terms of our trading, and especially if you're to put them together, you would obviously prioritize one over the other.
Speaker 1: And I'm not just the one saying that.
Speaker 3: Remember we even played Saudi's on their own television in the midst of the war, who were furious saying they're defending Israel but they can't even defend us. It's such a crazy situation total.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's just pause on the wild nature of even having to say, well, we've got a tough choice on our hands, defend Israel or defend the whole Like, how is this even being framed as?
Speaker 4: I don't know which way should we go. But it shows you how.
Speaker 2: Committed they are to the endless support of this small country in the Middle East, which is I think quite insane, quite insane. At this point, Let's go ahead and put B two up on the screen, just to show you some of the state of play here. In terms of the economy. Trump says the Iran talks or to resume after the US called off a major attack. Oil prices are down after the latest taco so once again the market's taking seriously whatever Trump is saying here and buying himself some war time. Let's also put before up on the screen. This goes to what we're speaking about previously about how locked in the deep state and the military brass is. You've got a US commander who plans, he claims he's got a two week plan to escalate strikes in Iran. The idea here just basically being let's bomb the more and bomb them harder, and maybe that'll work. This is also something that was leaked to the Wall Street Journal prior to Trump backing down, so I think this could also potentially be seen as part of just the you know, using the weaponizing the press to try to make a credible threat against Iran that would hopefully cause some sort of you know, create some sort of leverage for the US and negotiations, and force Iron to concede things that they have been unwilling to concede. This obviously didn't work, But I also don't doubt Soger that there are plenty of people inside of the Pentagon who find coming to a deal that acknowledges defeat at this point to be completely unacceptable. In are floating a lot of wild plans, wild desperate plans, because wild and desperate plans are all we have at this point.
Speaker 1: That's very true, you know.
Speaker 3: I also think we should pair some of this with the sheer insanity of what it actually looked like like what this war if Trump had actually pressed the button and said it would let's go to before. For example, this was the actual plan, all leaked out to the Wall Street Journal. It was a two week plan to escalate strikes. As Trump reiterates for the Iran's missile attack, the question is how long the new air campaign will last. This Encom commander had pushed a ten to fourteen day intensive air strike aimed to cripple Iran's missile capacity. Despite warnings that the US is running low on defense munitions. Basically, what Admiral Cooper had been pushing, who is the leader of Sencom, was well, what we can do is we can cripple the Iranian ballistic missic capacity a little bit more if you give me all the spare munitions and interceptors in the entire arsenal. That was his plan, and in addition to that, Trump was also saying we would hit some of these critical infrastructure.
Speaker 1: But one of the things that we learned.
Speaker 3: After the pause of or after the pause or whatever you want to call the initial ceaspire was even though we'd said we destroyed ninety five percent of Iran's ballistic missic capacity, it turns out the number was more like thirty percent. And then that thirty percent a lot of it was able to be dug out as a now evidence by the fact that they were able to hit one of our bases which killed several US service members, and I've been able to use them all across the region in the interim. So I do think that you know, when we talked previously about Sendcom asking for unconventional ideas, this idea and this plan is so you know, ludicrous in its actual proposal to basically just continue what what's already had been done and to quote finish the job in terms of the targets, as if those targets had done anything what they were supposed to do in the first place, which was bring down the regime, even in conjunction with all of these insane Israeli air strikes. So I just want to make sure people know that's what the actual plan.
Speaker 1: Was on the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and quite to the contrary, it just strengthened the government by all accounts, as best we can tell from the outside. Put the last element in this block up on the screen here, guys, B six. This is just important to note where we are at this point. This is from the New York Times. It's framed under what they call news analysis, which is somewhere between you know, reporting and opinion. This is Stephen Erlinger, who they say has covered issues related to Ron since the Islamic Revolution in nineteen seventy eight. And the analysis here is going to be very similar to things you've been hearing on the show for quite a while, they say. And around the US of pars headed for a strategic defeat, Allies fear, with none of President Trump's aims accomplished and the straight deformat is closed, US allies see dysfunction and vulnerability from the war. To see this sort of analysis in the New York Times, you know, which is very hawkish, very pro American empire outlet, is I think a significant development in and of itself and a sign of the times of how undeniable the.
Speaker 4: Defeat has become in this war.
Speaker 2: And you know, I like how they frame it in terms of our allies fear, but very much the you know, the writing is on the wall here in terms of what we've been unable to accomplish and how on every objective that we claimed during this war that we had, we have gone backwards from where we started. So everything that you know, whether it's Iranian pursuit of a nuclear weapon, whether it's wanting to topple the regime, whether it's wanting to back up the protesters in the streets, whether it's in terms of the straight of horm who's on every single one of these metrics that have been floated at times as objectives of the war. We have undeniably gone in the opposite direction and have much much less leverage in order to secure the aims than we did before we started this foolish war, and that is now being openly acknowledged in mainstream publications like the New York Times.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly right. Yeah, I mean to the extent that it's just saying what a lot of people already know. You know, it's not actually important for what it says, but it's important for where it appears at the front page on Sunday, and that just means things are a lot worse, you know, once they get to that point, you can just bet that it's actually much much worse in terms of what all of us on the bleeding edge can see, all right, should we get to Max Miller.
Speaker 4: Indeed,