Speaker 1: Welcome to the Truth with Li Sabooth, where we cut to the heart of the issues that matter to you today. We're joined by my friend, a Fox News contributor, a hero in my book, but everyone's book. He's a Purple Heart recipient, Marine Corps veteran and the author of a really powerful and important new book called Behind the Badge, Answering the Call to Serve on America's home front. His name is Joey Jones. You know him from Fox, you know him from everywhere. But he's a great friend of mine with an important message as well. So we're going to get into the historic United States strikes on Iran's nuclear facilities to this fragile cyasefire in the wake of the Iran Israel conflict or ongoing conflict as well. We'll talk to Joey using his combat experience, and he's also just a history buff. He's a history nerd. He loves history. So we'll dig into the conflict with him. Will just lead to World War three, as a lot of people are saying, a lot of naysayers were saying, we're these strikes necessary? Where is this all heading? And also why are some people on Capitol Hill? So cavalier about sending troops to war or potential boots on the ground. I'm looking at you, Senator Lindsey Graham. But most importantly, we're going to dive into his book exploring the sacrifices of first responders and their service, why they decided to serve, what's the common thread between these nine first responders that he interviewed and the stories that he tells in his book. So get ready for smart analysis and insightful conversation, and also an important conversation about the people who put on a badge or uniform to serve their communities and serve their country, who also risk their lives. Stay tuned for my friend and colleague, Joey Jones. Well, Joey Jones, it's great to have you on the show. I am in an office location in my building because there's fire alarm testing. So the joys of podcasting actually showering, and I heard a man's voice yesterday and it was the alarm. So scared at the crap out of me. So hopefully we're not interrupted.
Speaker 2: That is never sounds like something good. If you're showering and hear a man's voice, that sounds like a bad day, I.
Speaker 1: Thought I was going to get murdered. So but I'm here and thank God for that. Well, it's great to have on the show. You you're a friend, a colleague. Well, I think we're friends. I think you would. I think you would say that.
Speaker 2: But the amount that you let me pick on you, we better be friends otherwise I'm a real Ah It's.
Speaker 1: It's fun banter, is what I like to say. But I'm looking forward to digging into all this, obviously with everything that's happening in the Middle East, but also about your book. I think a lot of people don't know you're kind of a history nerd. Do you think that's a fair assessment to make.
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean I like to put things in context, and it's fun to go down rabbit holes. And also I'm a little studies major, so my entire collegic education was learning about the history of people. So yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Wait, I think there's a lot of rabbit holes to go down these days. So I wanted to get obviously, just more broadly, looking at President Trump's historic bombing of Iran's nuclear facilities. Did President Trump make the right call? And how do you assess the strategic impact of it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, we're right now on this teetering sea spire that could turn into peace or it could turn into war again. And so did he make the right call? I hate to be that guy, but like history will decide by the next few weeks will decide, the next few years will decide. I don't think you can sit here and say he made the wrong call. I don't see a bunch of net negatives from it. I think he did it because he felt like being decisive and hitting them in a way that they hadn't been hit before the other presidents had advanced around would show Iran and the rest of the world that he's not going to step away around this. And I think that in his mind, and I think probably in actuality, it sent a message to China and Russia and other places. I also think that his tour of the Middle East a few months ago was laying the groundwork for something like this. I think some of the other presidents before him would fear how this would affect the old markets out Saudi Arabia would respond, how some of the other Arab countries would respond. And I think President Trump has laid groundwork in those places that other presidents haven't. And not to say that Saudi Arabia is some friend, I mean, you know, or most of those countries. But a mutual working towards a mutual benefit can be all you need. And that's Trump's doctrine. I don't care if you're a bad guy or a dictator. It's not my job to figure out how your people are treated. That's their job. I need to know if you're going to stab us in the back or not, and how can I make sure you don't. That's his policy and he does a pretty good job at it well.
Speaker 1: And I think that's what makes President Trump so interesting, is you know, to your point, like a Saudi Arabia friend, like I don't know, but can we work together?
Speaker 2: Right? Like?
Speaker 1: President Trump sees the world very clear eye it. I mean, he's not trying to sort of impose or ideals in other nations. He's not trying to turn the Middle East into a democracy. He even set in a speech to Saudi Arabia like you guys, do you you know, like I'm here for business, I'm here for strategic partnerships kind of how do you look at that particularly, you know, compared to someone like you know, former President George W.
Speaker 2: Bush. Well, I think George W. Bush his dark presidency was derailed as far as these polsage into by nine to eleven. And we can talk about why that happened. I think that you know, I really love you bringing up that time, although it's not a question, you ask and let me explain why people are worried that President Trump's actions are going to cause a greater war. I think, you know, or at least up until yesterday when the ceasefire was announced. But here's the deal. Had Bill Clinton gone after Osamom bin Laden, not eleven, might not have happened. And so it might be a little bit more complicated than that. But we know for a fact there were opportunities to take Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda out in the nineties Darren, Bill Clinton's tenure that we either missed or there was one famous case where a leak told them we were about to hit him because there were some princes there with him they didn't want to kill. And I think President Trump is trying to show the world that's not me. I'm not going to make those mistakes. I'm not going to let you know something that might be a negative stop me from doing something that can be a positive for our country and for our national security. And I think the other presidents have tried to make everybody happy, and I think you can't make everybody happy. I think you're actually better off if you just piss everybody off, but you're consistent. And I think that's what President Trump is looking for. He's looking to show the world that he is consistent. If this, then that that's his foreign policy. If you do this, we will bring down that hammer. And I think that's, you know, Operation Midnight Hammer. He has to. He has no choice but the back that rhetoric up. And that's what he did. But is that just leadership, I would hope. So I've told people for a long time. I've spent the time I did in the Marine Corps. Your worst leaders are the ones that want to make everybody happy, and because of that, go back on their own policies and decisions all the time because they think that it's going to hurt somebody that they didn't mean to hurt, or or hurt somebody's feelings. And at the end of the day, when you make a policy decision, if you know what you're doing, is for the betterment of the team, and not everything just for the betterment of the team, is for the betterment of every individual. And part of being a team is knowing you have to make sacrifices along the way. So a good leader is one it's consistent that you know, when they say this is what we're going to do, we're going to do it until it either fails or succeeds. And that's President Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean you told her on you have sixty days. You know, they didn't negotiate, and so boom, you know, there goes the dynamite.
Speaker 2: Literally there it goes auly. And when I say that's President Trump, that's President Trump. In defense and foremn policy. He handles things like the economy much differently. He handles things like legislation much differently. More of a populace comes out in those cases, and he uses a lot of hyperbole in his rhetoric. We're gonna, you know, we're going to pass this big, beautiful bill exactly how it is, and it may get changed, but the point is, don't think we're not passing this bill. And so he has a style of leadership that translates in so many places but doesn't translate in DC, because in DC they're used to speaking out both sides of their mouth all the time and having a different truth even behind closed doors. And as we saw this morning, a President Trump losing his cool and you know, dropping an F bomb. He doesn't mask a lot. We know where he is with things pretty much every time the microphone is in front of him, and I think that alone throws people off in DC.
Speaker 1: Well, I also think it's good to you know, obviously red lines didn't mean much under Obama and under Biden, and obviously they do under Trump. And so I think that's a good message for our enemies and our friends. You know that he means what he says, and he says what he means. Sent I want to ask you about this ceasefire, because he did lose his cool and he said that they don't know what the f they're doing talking about Iran and Israel. Do they know what that f they're doing?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think that are israel vision that Yalus said it best, really right before we dropped the bonds. He said, Israel's going to do what's best for Israel, and President Trump is going to do what's best for the United States, and in saying that, he's admitting that that they may have different goals. They may support one another's goals, but they may have different goals. I have no problem with Israel having the goal of regime change or at least regime crippling. I believe that Israel is well within the right over the last four or five decades to have that goal or to work towards it now that Iran has baited them into war. And I think that's what's happened from October seventh, four to Iran's done twenty enough for Israel to justify a preemptive attack. I don't think that's worth disputing at this point. But President Trump has to have a worldview that encompasses the rest of the Arab nations, Europe and what he's trying to accomplish for our country. And for President Trump's perspective, although he may be totally for the idea of Iran having different leaders, he may not need that happening right now for him to accomplish the things he's trying to accomplish for our country. I mean, you know, that's that's perfectly reasonable, and so I don't think that I don't think that Israel doesn't know what they're doing. I think that they are. They're very smart, and they are very tactical, and they have their set of goals. What they don't know is how much of that Trump's going to support based on what Trump is also trying to get done. And as Trump talks to these Arab countries in Europe, that may change what he's willing to support and what he isn't and Israel has to decide if they're willing to follow that or lead in their own direction. I don't think they're going to hurt our partnership, but you know you're going to have moments like we had today where President Trump, just out of frustration says, what in the hell are you doing? I just broke it a peace deal and it's so fragile. Why would you? Why would you risk it? And Israel's going to say, if we don't send a message in these six hours you gave us to send as many bombs as we can, they're going to turn. They're going to think they got one over on us all over again and keep building their bombs. And so I don't think either one of them are wrong. They just start heading in the same direction on two different paths.
Speaker 1: We've got more with Joey. But first, Israel is at war with Iran, a nation that is vowed to wipe Israel and even the United States off the map, and a necessary act of self defense, Israel struck Iranian nuclear facilities, military targets, and top leadership. Right now, the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews is on the ground preparing large scale distributions of life saving food, first aid and emergency kits, especially to Israel's most vulnerable people, the sick, the elderly, children, and families in need. The Fellowship is also making sure that hospitals, emergency rooms, and shelters are fully stocked with critical and life saving medical supplies. But the Fellowship needs your most generous gift today to make this work possible. Now is your time to stand with Israel as most vulnerable. To rush your gift eight eight eight for a eight I FJ. That's eight eight eight for a eight IFCJ, or you can go online at IFCJ dot org IFCJ dot org. You'd mentioned previously that Israel is within its right to strike at Oran after October seventh, and you know, obviously Iran was behind that financially with via Hamasa proxy. And I've been asking this like on TV as well, of like what is the appropriate response to a nine to eleven type terror attack? Right, because Israel obviously has a much smaller population than we have in the United States. So if that's where the attack happened, here we're talking about tens of thousands of people that would have been murdered comparatively speaking from a population perspective, and we went to war for like twenty years after nine to eleven. Not saying that was the right call, you know, but I'm saying, like, what is the appropriate response, Like doesn't Israel have every right to, you know, want to annihilate Iran if they're a terror attack like that?
Speaker 2: Absolutely they do. And anyone that disputes that is biased in a way that I don't understand. Israel beliefs Iran was behind that. We have circumstantial evidence to prove it. I can tell you when I was in Iraq, I found Iranian made ordinance, or at least we did. I won't say me personally, but we found Iranian made ordinance, and I read reports on the Moni Iranian made ordinance all the time is just working as security for a D before I became an EOD technician, and so the fact that Iran has supported the GHD, the Global GHOD is pretty obvious. Now. On the nuclear weapons thing, I think the nuclear weapons is the easiest way to justify large scale action, and I think that in a little bit of a way, both the United States and Israel is using that really as a cover for all the reasons that Iran needs to be at least weakened. I don't know on was trying to actively build a bomb or if being in the eleventh hour of building a bomb might have been more leverage, because I mean, once you have the bomb, now you're an actual threat, and I don't know that you get the same type of appeasement you're you know, it's kind of like catching a tiger by the tail. You know, once you catch it, now you've got a tiger on the other end. And I think, you know, the responsibility of owning nuclear weapons is a big one, and I think that as long as they were capable of and presumably heading towards building a nuclear weapon, there were a lot of things that the international community was willing to do to kind of coltew to them and ask them not to and maybe those things kind of go away if they get too far down the road. Maybe they were holding themselves back in that way because it made such a great point of leverage. I'm not sure that's totally theoretical, but so I don't know. There are some intelligence supports that they weren't advancing in building a nuclear weapon, and Israel says they were days away, And you know, it's hard because from my perspective, I heard my entire adult life they were weeks away, and it's like, how can you be weeks away for twenty years? Like there is some healthy skethicism there that I think is appropriate, But at the end of the day, you take all the nuclear weapons stuff out of it. Iran has done nothing but try to undermine and kill the United States and Israel for at least thirty years. I mean, in nineteen eighty eight we took out a portion of their navy because they suckle or they had tried to sink one of our ships with a mind closing the straight to remove so you know, go all the way back to Iran country even before that, and then the hostages in seventy nine, so it's this idea that Iran has turned the tide, or hasn't been a bad actor, or hasn't been actively against us in Israel, that ship is sailed. And so I think Israel's fully justified in their war against Iran, whether or without a nuclear weapon, because Iran has tried to mobilize guerrilla units, militaries and terrorists against Israel actively and in doing so, against US for a really long time.
Speaker 1: Will this lead to World War three?
Speaker 2: No, anything can lead to World War three. I mean, hell, you know, Franz Berdinand. I mean, anything can lead to World War three. That's a part of existing in a world of nations and armies. But I don't see the cards on the table for many places to want to get involved in this. I think that Russia sits it out because President Trump quite frankly tells Vladimir Putin, if you are Iran, I'll make sure the Ukrainian War lasts for the next twenty years. I mean, that's exactly what that phone call looks like. And Vladimir Putin doesn't want that, or at least I wouldn't think you would. For China, it's much more of the economic drivers, and I don't think it helps them in any way economically to have a larger scale war. Now China's status quo is to fight us through proxies. I mean, look at all the Southeast Asian conflicts, but I just don't see that being their goal right now. And the Arab nations have all but said they're sitting it out. So what world powers go to war against the Allies in this case? I don't there.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts in the whole debate about President Trump's decision to strike or wrong without congressional approval, he.
Speaker 2: Took immediate military action to end a conflict we would surely be engulfed in. I mean, you can have the constitutional debate from here to tim Book two. Our constitution is incredibly important. There are powers in the Constitution given to the president for such a case. And if you want to take him the court over it, take him the court over. The fact is B two bombers flu bombs dropped and the war is at a ceasefire. So you know, if you want to pitch a fit about it, pitch a fit about it, and pass the legislation that changes it.
Speaker 1: So I want to segue to your book Behind the badge andswering the call to serve on America's home front, because when we talk about even this broader conversation about what's happening in the Middle East and the possibility that a lot of these conflicts could potentially lead to broader wars, could potentially lead to boots on the ground, whether it's in Europe with Russia and Ukraine or with Iran and Israel. How frustrating is it for you, as someone who has served and who has also suffered injury as a result of that surface to sort of have this like cavalier attitude very often on Capitol Hill about like sending, you know, boots on the ground, or let's go to war or you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you're essentially you're invoking the ghost of Lindsay Graham. And I get it. Basically.
Speaker 1: I was kind of poo a step by you're picking up when I putted out, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: The one thing I will say about Lindsay Graham is God bless him. He's consistent. He doesn't backtrack on it, and that at least means something on Capitol heel and I think he believes, he believes the policy he advocates for I don't think he's cavalier about lives being lost. I think in his heart of hearts, he believes that strong military action is almost always the answer, and sometimes it is the answer. But when you have a twenty year war that consists of really two your wars, where we decide if we're going to continue it every mid term and presidential election, that's that's really devastating to your country's faith in the government and its ability to protect us by going to war when they need to. So it's you know, it's kind of like the Boy that Cried Wolf. We fought this twenty year war against these ghosts called al Qaeda and the Taliban and in the countries of Iraq and Afghanistan. And now if there is a legitimate Middle Eastern threat, who's going to believe it because we experienced that twenty year war. And that's kind of the conundrum that President Truck finds himself in because there are plenty of people on the right and the left criticizing him for taking action because that's all they can see. I think it's much different. Number One, Israel is a completely different factor. I mean, having you know, we had NATO forces in Afghanistan, but we led the way we had. They attacked us. We were the ones that had the gripe. We we responded and retaliated, and they came in and helped this. Having this what's going on with Israel and Iran, US helping Israel or US taking decisive action to ensure it doesn't spread beyond in my opinion, Iran in Israel. I mean, let's go back to you know, if Bill Clinton would have taken out Osama bin Laden, there might not have ever been a war in Afghanistan. So sometimes the sisive military action is exactly what prevents war. The difference between the twenty year war in Iraq and Afghanistan and what's happening with Iran is one. I don't think the world, especially the Arab world, has the appetite to feed this radical Islamic terror that's really spread like wildfire in the nineties and then into the two thousands. I just don't think the world has a tolerance for it that it had twenty thirty years ago, or at least the blind eye to it. I think the Saudis were behind some of it. I don't think they have an appetite for it today. Money talks and bull crap walks, you know, And so I just don't think that that type of enemy is going to is going to be what we're fighting. And then conventional warfare. We are the superpower in the world when it comes to conventional warfare. So this idea that it would take twenty years doesn't make sense. I mean, desert storm, in my opinion, is as much of an analogy to where we are today, or more so than the wars in Iraq in Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what all about President Trump? And he did this recently with the Joint addressed to Congress. He's so good at sending a message and telling stories through people and using individuals as an example to tell those stories. And you did that in your book Behind the Badge. You tell the stories of nine first responders. Why did you pick these nine people? And what stories and what were you hoping to convey with those nine people?
Speaker 2: You know. I like to say I didn't pick these nine people, these non people picked me, And that was almost a Peter Popper pick thing there. But yeah, they picked me. I mean they came into my life, they are in my life. The first two chats are a guy that I've known since I was three years old, and my brother in law that I've known for more than twenty years. And these are first responders of all walks of life. Justin Heflin in there is a guy that I replaced in Afghanistan. He was a radio detech and became an Indiana State trooper. Caitlin Kotfella is in there, and she's a police officer down in Tampa. She was assigned to be my security a few years ago at an event. It wasn't really an event I needed security yet, so she invited her to sit down next to me and have dinner with the table and I got to hear her story and it just really my jolly at the floor, Like she's just so inspiring, and so when I decided to write this book, she was and easy fit. Sheriff Mark Lamb is on there. I've interviewed him many times on Fox. He's done a fantastic job showing the country what a proactive, media friendly sheriff, what a big impact someone like that can have. And then when you learn his backstory of how he got there, it's truly inspiring. It's very American. E Vince Vargas is in there. He's a Border Patrol search and rescue guy. Before that, he was an army ranger, and or after both of those things, he was involved with the guys that created Black Riffle coffee companies. So he's been a close friend of mine for a long time. And to learn that this Mexican American from La became a Border of Patrol search and rescue guy and saw both sides of that issue and was so patriotic and wanted to defend his country, but also was empathetic towards the people he was interdicting and has so much to say about it that after finding fame and being on the TV show The Miyans, he went back to be a journalist for the Border Patrol to help tell those stories in a time when people are trying to demonize Border Patrol. I mean, these are amazing stories that really I would love to tell you are so unique that they were the best nine in the world. But the point of the book is that it could be any nine that wear a badge and keep us safe every day. Keith Densey and Clay Hendrick the first two chapters in the book. They're firemen at Dalton Fire Department, Dalton, Georgia and Northeast and Northwest Georgia's it's not a super small city, but it's not a city you know of any It's not a big city. And their stories are remarkable, the tragedy they've experienced, the growth that they've had, the triumphs they've experienced, saving people, saving buildings, helping other people get through their post traumatic stress of being on a job like that. I mean Clai Hedrick at one time was working on a fire truck as a fireman one out of every three days, riding the ambulance as an EMT one out of every three days, and working at the non to one one call center one out of every three days. And to think that there are people out there that are so dedicated to saving lives and keeping us safe that they really they give up their own peace of mind so we can live in peace.
Speaker 1: We've got more of Joey. If you liked the podcast, please share on social media or send to your friends. What is the common thread when interviewing all these people, obviously, as you just mentioned, people that you know personally as well, and you deciding to serve as well, what is the common thread and all these people deciding to put on a badge or deciding to put on a uniform and go serve their community or the country.
Speaker 2: It's really quite simple, and it took me a while to figure this out. Every single one of them, early on in their career, add something happen in front of them on the job that really reset their entire perspective. I mean, you know, you go to police academy or fire academy, and it's all about tactics and procedures and what to do and how to do it and how to be successful. It's rarely showing you the face and name of a five year old little girl that dies in a fire or dies in a car wreck that you're going to have to respond to. And every single one of them, early on in their career, like for Clay, it was just about the very first shift. That's what happens is now you meet the faces and the tragedy of this job. And every single one of them experienced that early on and realized and made the decision, as difficult as that was. And I don't believe after writing this book to anybody is quite simply born to do it. I think that they experienced the sadness and the trauma, just like any of us would have. But every single one of them decided that it was worth it that sacrificing their own peace so that we could live in peace. And when I say live in peace, I mean that we believe when we walk out the door that if our house catches on fire, somebody will come put it out. If we get in a carreg somebody will respond. If we have a medical emergency, somebody will be there to help us. Like that's the peace that we live in in this country. And they decided, each and ever one of them early in their career it was worth sacrificing that to keep their community safe. And now they've done it for ten twenty thirty years.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, because there is a price. Ray, I mean, you lost your alert, your legs as a marine, you are a Purple Heart recipient serving as an explosive ordinance disposal technician in Afghanistan. You look at nine to eleven. We lost hundreds of first responders during nine to eleven who ran towards the buildings, who ran towards the attack to to save them Americans, to save their fellow Americans. I mean, the price is the price worth it? Is it price worth the sacrifice?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent of it is. I can speak that for myself like I would give my legs to keep this country safe over and over again like Groundhog's Day, and I just I know I would. After interviewing these nine first responders, knowing the dozens more that are in my life, they make that decision every time they go out there. Let me tell you a quick story if I can so. Keith Dimpsry, my brother in law, was his first jobs at Marietta, which touches Atlantis, so it has a lot of the same types of calls as a big city. It is part basically of the Atlanta footprint. And for about a month they ran calls every shift that were just insane, you know, john buildings catching on fire, homes catching on fire, big bag car wrecks, huge medical overdose emergencies where you know they go in and it's it's a home with domestic violence and all kinds of stuff that they have to clean up to save his life. And there was just one call after another and on that shift for a lot of young firemen. So at the end of that month, the city saw it fit to give them an award. So they gave them an award for going through and doing all of that in such a short period of time. In the middle of all that, Keith and another young fireman responded to a house fire. The family somehow got out, but there were two little girls that didn't, and they went in to get them and they went into the bedroom. They searched all over the bedroom. What they found out was there was a pile of stuffed animals, and the little girls crawled under those stuffed animals. They going to keep them safe, and of course it did the opposite, and they perished. And so when Keith got that award, it broke his heart and he's never worn the award. It's one of the most traumatic things that he's ever gone through. And eventually I had to point out to Keith, hey, brother, you need to understand you didn't get that award because of what happened that night. You got that award because you put your gear on the next day and went back to work after what happened that night. You didn't give up, you didn't quit continue to be that guy and you continue to save people. You know. I wish that every first responder could always say they batted a thousand, but that just simply isn't the case. And so that's that's the type of sacrifice that we see when you can experience something like that and still go put your gear on the next day and go into a burning building and have those memories, those those haunting memories, and today though you save somebody. I mean, that's who we have out there, and that's who we live beside, that's who we go to church with, that's who's in the pickup line when we pick our kids up from school, or those kind of people, and we're just so lucky in this country to have them.
Speaker 1: What's so interesting is, you know, I've interviewed a lot of people for the podcast. Obviously we engage with a lot of people with their jobs at Fox, and you look at a lot of professions, there can be a lot of arrogance, particularly looking at Congress and some of these other places. And I will say that of all the first responders I've interviewed, particularly or military veterans, there's such a humility that comes with it, and like a really like if you're like, oh, you're a hero, they're like, no, don't say that. What do you think is behind that?
Speaker 2: I think it's it's cultural. You be in EOD tech. I understand it a little bit because in EOD, especially Marine Corpo D, we weed out the guys that are all about themselves because eventually they'll do something dangerous so other people are impressed. But in doing that dangerous thing, there is their lives and other people's lives. So you can't have heroes in heroic jobs. You can't have people looking for the pats on the back and the ground and the adulation in jobs that they are so dangerous and self sacrificing that they may one day rate it when people say he won the Purple Heart or he won the Medal of Honor, that's that's really horrible. You earn those things, but you don't win them. They're not a prize you're out looking for. And so it's the same thing for these individuals, like they understand that, especially police officers, they can't go out looking to be a hero because then they'll make a bad decision. And so it's a cultural thing bred in them from day one in good departments and on good forces. And that's most of them.
Speaker 1: Why did you decide to serve? Why did you decide to become a marine.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to tell you, and it's not, you know, like it's not the selfless thing that I admire in other people. I chose to be a marine because I come from a poor city and at the time a poor family, and my parents worked really hard to give me opportunities that I kind of squandered by being enamored with, you know, playing football and chasing girls. So when I graduated high school, I didn't have scholarships to college. And to their credit, you know, to be fair, my parents didn't expect college because it was never expected of them. They were a poor class of people and college wasn't really on the table, so they just wanted me to graduate high school. And so a year after graduating high school, I was I was seventeen when I graduated. So at eighteen, in my eighteenth year, I realized that I owed it to my parents to take the opportunities that life had given me and they had worked for, and go make something of it. College had passed me by, so the next available opportunity was the military. So that was the origin of joining the Marine Corps. Joined the Marine Corps because when I went to the Navy, they told me that i'd have health care for the rest of my life. When I went to the Air Force, they told me to teach me a job that I could use when I got out of the Air Force. When I went to the Army, they told me that I would have the GI bill to go to college after the Army. None of them told me how great being in those three services would be like my time actually in them. When I went to the Marine Corps, they said being a Marine is a privilege and you may have what it takes to earn it, and that just that was it. That's what I was looking for, that type of challenge. I was earning a title, and it resonated with me. But both of those reasons are kind of selfish. They were about me. It wasn't until I went to boot camp and had Joe instructors that had just come back from a rock that the selfless and sacrifice part of it really resonated with me.
Speaker 1: Hey, July, before we go, what do you hope people take away from this book?
Speaker 2: I hope people read this book and do two things. One understand much better what people go through to keep them safe. That way they is they interact with them, because nobody's happy when they get pulled over first speeding ticket. But if you read this book and you can kind of see behind the eyes of that person on the other side of your window when you're getting that speeding ticket, then you just think for a second about all that guy or gal has been through in the last week, and that they're not pulling you over because they hate you. They're pulling you over because they had to respond to a card just like yours. It was plastered all over the road last week. You'll have a better understanding of what they go through and maybe try to live more responsibly. And then on the other side of it, what I really hope happens is that first responder families read it and understand their hero better, because I don't think most first responders are exceptionally vulnerable with their families and they think they're protecting them, but a lot of times they just leave them in the dark so much that they don't know what's going on behind their eyes. And I think it'll do both of those things.
Speaker 1: Joey, can I tell you something? To be honest, When I first met you, I didn't know if I should call you Joey Jones or Johnny Jones.
Speaker 2: It's a debate that still resonates every day. But most of my friends that Jane would call me.
Speaker 1: Joey, Well, you are my friend and hero in my eyes, and you're just a really smart guy, and I always love being on with you. You always just make really smart, intelligent points, also filled with a lot of common sons, which isn't so common these days.
Speaker 2: So those are those are gracious words, and I appreciate it because certainly you're smart and fun to work with. And that's what's great about this business, especially being on the right side of it, is that you're aul such good people.
Speaker 1: And even though you make fun of me sometimes, we're so Thanks for making the time. I know this book's going to be huge success. I'm so happy for you, and I hope that we are filling in together soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure I'll see you soon.
Speaker 1: That was my friend and colleague from Fox News, Joey joe Zones. Appreciate him for making the time to come on the show. Appreciate his service. I mean, the guy is a freaking hero. Appreciate you guys at home for listening every Tuesday and Thursday, but you can listen throughout the week until next time