Speaker 1: Looking for a mortgage bank to help you make your next major mortgage move, whether it's a refi or home purchase, regardless of whether it's your first one or one of many, consider our friends at Stockton Mortgage, but don't just take our word for it. Stockton Mortgage has over seventy thousand five star reviews and counting, just like this review from Joshua, who says this about his experience with Stockton. They were super professional, always answer my questions I had, and streamlined the process. I could not ask for better people to help me and my family get our first house. I feel blessed to be able to go through them. Be like Joshua or the sixty nine nine hundred ninety nine others just.
Speaker 2: Like him, and get started with Stockton Mortgage today by going to Stockton dot com and get started.
Speaker 3: I've even used.
Speaker 1: Stockton Mortgage myself on my own home loan.
Speaker 2: For your home loan needs, Stockton dot com and click get started Stockton Mortgage MLS eight two five nine, Equal Housing Lender NMLS, Consumer Access dot Org.
Speaker 4: Welcome to our two of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones walking back.
Speaker 5: It is Kentucky Sports Radio here at Kasbar and grill wingsday. They are taking down our little cover for the summer. That means summer is hit. Yes, now you can sit on the patio here the field the breeze blow. That's how I always know that it is summertime is when they take that down and they don't tell you they're coming, just all of a sudden, they don't like you have a service. They put it up and take it down without you knowing, just all of a sudden it'll be there or it will be gone, and it is being taken down right now.
Speaker 3: It's very appreciative during the cold months, but it sure as glad to see it go in the spring and summer night.
Speaker 5: So that means for Oaks and Derby you can come here and watch and not have to worry about eight five to nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four Ask anything UH Wednesday. By the way, the World War the Memorial Cosseum. That's all people who have been who were killed in World War two from each camp county. It's World War two. So you can go and see uh. And it's literally they have one for for each county. I like when UK does those things by county, Like, I think it's really cool. At the baseball stadium they have everybody who played for UK baseball.
Speaker 6: Arranged by county.
Speaker 5: I think it's because this is a state where counties matter, So I actually think that's a cool thing they do.
Speaker 3: And like I said, it was it was inside Memorial Coliseum what they call it Memorial Coliseum, So I'm glad they've incorporated that into the remodel and put those statues out there.
Speaker 6: Before we go to the phones, a couple of things.
Speaker 5: First of all, the Reds were rained out today or yesterday, so they're playing a doubleheader today against your Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Going to them.
Speaker 5: No, I've got I'm speaking at UK, and I got I got a ton of stuff going on today, so I get. I may actually give away my tickets tonight at the end of the show today if I can, if I can remember, but h but then my Canes. All right, So I'm in a I'm in a sports ferr right now. I'm watching the Reds every night, and then the Canes are in the playoffs. They went, they won Round two. They had a one timer. Do you know what a one timer is? Not?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 5: A one timer is when they make a pass and then the other guy hits it without catching it. So he hits it like he touches it one time, so he doesn't you know how I could pass it, you get.
Speaker 6: Control and then hit it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he just hits it through the pass and uh Sebastian Oh got it and I went crazy and double overtime last night.
Speaker 6: He was loved of fun.
Speaker 7: I'm another big hockey guy. I do know what a one timer is, but that was an absolute rocket of a game winner there in second overtime. And that's your boy, Io. I only know about him from you talking about him. But how's a heck of a.
Speaker 3: Weather show right now?
Speaker 5: So you'll see what you'll see The one time they slashed him in the face. So see, this is one of the things you gotta be tough to play hockey.
Speaker 7: Look at this. It just hit him right in the face. I mean that goodness, that's a nasty hit.
Speaker 5: So it was a four minute penalty because he got his head slashed open. And then during that was when you live the one time now, just the one time watches he takes this then he's gonna pass it.
Speaker 7: Here we go, boo, there you go. Which it was down like three to zero at one point.
Speaker 3: So yeah, was that game seven?
Speaker 5: It was game five. We're already We're already through. So we move on to the next round and they play. They'll probably play the Capitals who have Ovechkin, who's probably gonna retire at the end of the year all time leading goal scorer.
Speaker 6: So I may try to go to a game.
Speaker 5: It feels like, you know, he's like next to Gretzky, probably the best ever, and he's gonna retire.
Speaker 3: I know he was chasing Gretzky's record. Did he break it?
Speaker 7: He did?
Speaker 3: He did break it?
Speaker 5: Have you if you look up Ovechkin now, and it's amazing. The dude's still really good because he looks like a man who's been like sleeping in the Arctic for ten years and then all of a sudden returns to humanity. He's got like gray hair and a gray beard, and he's still out there being an athlete.
Speaker 7: I had in a moment with Ovechkin at a bar many years ago. I think I was in DC with you, but I was leaned over a trash can watching Sports Center and he was leaned on the other side and I looked up and he's on Sports Center. I look at him and I kind of do a double take, and he hit me with ah. But about ten minutes later he got absolutely mob But there for a few seconds, we were just a couple boys watching Sports Center and he was on the screen.
Speaker 5: Mississippi State fired their baseball coach this week.
Speaker 6: Now I might say, well, why do you care about that?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, Kentucky plays at Mississippi State this week and they didn't pick an interim, So I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it's just gonna be chaos.
Speaker 5: They're gonna just let everybody play baseball like just whatever. I say, Yeah, all right, who wants to batmanars? Who wants to bat second? But what makes it a bigger deal? Nick Minione has connections there. He he was in the hunt for him when they hired the last coach. Do you think and he was listed by one of the baseball sites as one of the three finalists. Do you think we could lose the only baseball coach to ever take us to the World Series to Mississippi State.
Speaker 3: I think it's a possibility. I mean, then we lose John Cohen to Mississippi State. Coin still the ad. He was the ad there for a while. So yeah, there's definitely some Kentucky pipeline Missippi State in baseball. But I think it's answer your question, yes, I think it's a possibility.
Speaker 5: Now. We just signed him to a new deal that includes a huge buyle. So like Mississippi State, I think it's over a million dollars, which for a baseball coach would be a lot of money. You know, we had, We did lose our last really good baseball coach to Mississippi State. Mississi State has a history of being good at baseball.
Speaker 6: They care.
Speaker 5: If you were Mitch Barnhardt, would you try to do what you had to do to keep to keep Minji on. He's on pace to make the to make the tournament again.
Speaker 7: If I'm Barnhart, I make this trip to start for with him, and I don't let him out of my site. No, no random meetings while you're in town, stay away from my coach. I completely get while he's on the list. I just he seems so happy here and this is kind of something he's built. Well, the only coach that's played in that stadium just had him in Omaha last year. I think it would be hard for him to leave, But if all jobs took it for him to consider, I would understand this one.
Speaker 5: You do also have to consider if you're a baseball coach the Nile situation. Mississippi State is a place where I'm gonna guess their baseball is gonna get more in Aisle than ours. Like, like, you know, our basketball program is gonna take a big chunk. Everybody's football program has to take a big chunk. But I could see Mississippi State saying, you know what, We'll sacrifice our basketball for our baseball, which is not gonna be something we're gonna do here. So I could see that playing a role.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Baseball is just bigger in some places in the South, and one of the places is Mississippi State. So you know, they've been a perennial power for thirty years. So I can see why he would be looking into that job if it's comes to that.
Speaker 7: And as much as we love Kentucky Prior Park, Mississippi State Stadium, whatever it's called, it's in another league. I've never been for a game, but I've walked by it several Times. They probably have the best facility in the entire conference. Yeah they do. Who's up next? Shit?
Speaker 8: Mark?
Speaker 6: Mark?
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Mark, Mark, Yes, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 9: So of all stories in twenty twenty five, and did not think that Bill Belichick having.
Speaker 8: The Yoko owner of football would be the one that I would see.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a big deal, man, I Like, I can't.
Speaker 5: There's a New York Times story about it today about Belichick and.
Speaker 3: The got the interview or just about them, No, just about them.
Speaker 5: The story is that hard Knocks, you know, Hard Knocks was gonna come. That she put the kabash on that too.
Speaker 7: Like they were about to film, they were about.
Speaker 5: To film, and and that you know. The rumor is that she wanted it to also be about them, like their personal life, and they were going to stick to football.
Speaker 7: But I don't know, man, Like.
Speaker 5: It feels like that interview completely flipped everybody's view on everything, right like she put out, she put out. She put out a picture of the book he signed in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 7: Did you see that?
Speaker 6: You remember?
Speaker 7: The thing was they met and he signed her book.
Speaker 5: She put that out yesterday on Instagram, which makes me think, well, why didn't you just say it. I don't know, man, I I know it's ridiculous for me to be to care about it, but.
Speaker 6: I kind of do, Drew, I'm not gonna lie to you.
Speaker 7: I can't. I can't help but be fancy. It's everywhere if you want to ignore it. If you read anything any sports websites there, they're all talking about it. When I saw it on from the Athletic I read a couple this morning, but it said one of the problems with Hard Knocks is she wanted to be named as a producer, and they're like, you have no experience were HBO, No, you cannot be the executive that's you want to be a producer on Hard Knocks. That's really funny that she.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's in the New York Times, right, it's in the New York Times.
Speaker 6: Like, like, there's a couple ors some women.
Speaker 5: Here like are you all are you all fascinated by the story? You don't know anything about it? How do you not know anything about it? First of all, now, I know you don't listen to this show. Okay, so we'll start with that. I know you don't listen to the show. Now, No, how could you not? I mean, I don't know. It's just the whole thing of like where do you stand on on the relationship, and is she controlling I think people?
Speaker 7: And is he like what is he like in his normal faculties?
Speaker 3: That's the big question. I mean, it's not just a sports story anymore. It's become a news story, and I think more people are starting to center on is he incompetent?
Speaker 7: Is But when he talks about football.
Speaker 3: He seems fine, seems absolutely fine.
Speaker 7: He seems absolutely fine.
Speaker 5: So I kind of think I kind of think the is he incompetent is a little bit of a cop out, Like dudes just choosing Shannon to be with this woman, you know what I mean. I think that it's a little bit of a cop out to act like he's all of a sudden lost his mind.
Speaker 4: He's still got his football mind about him, and you know, a little extra curricular activity too on the side. So I think that's that's the problem.
Speaker 7: I think that is certainly what's happening.
Speaker 6: Let's go to game, game, go ahead game.
Speaker 10: So I know you guys have talked about or I don't know if you've talked about this yet, and if you have, I apologize, But like How cool was it to see all of the extended footage and the love that OVW and Historic Davis Arena got at the Night one main event of WrestleMania.
Speaker 7: Very cool, very cool.
Speaker 5: You know, we appreciate the call that for people who didn't see in Night one of WrestleMania. In the lead up, they showed a lot of OVW stuff and you know, listen, I put I've put four years of a lot of work into that. You know, we're actually making the transition to the new ownership group this week. Honestly, it transitions tomorrow. I'm still gonna be involved as a minority owner, but I won't be like making day to day decisions anymore. And you know, it is cool to see them. I mean that that that whole prize has been a really like awesome part of my life, from doing the Netflix show to getting to know all those people. I mean cash flow, Let me just use cash flow. They're filming season three of Tulsa King right now, but then they're filming they're doing four more seasons, so he's spending the next two years of his life film and tell Tulsa King. He's doing three, four, five, and six. I mean this was a dude who's just lived in Bullet County, right, and now all of a sudden, he is a regular on a Sylvester Stallone television show.
Speaker 6: That's awesome. Haley every week.
Speaker 5: Is wrestling somewhere around the world, like she's gotten her career has kind of blossomed from it. So it's it's been it's and then watching it on, you know, I have to admit, like, literally, I'm going to Louisville tomorrow and we're kind of doing the final transition, and I'm a little i would say melancholy because this is what needs to happen, because I'm.
Speaker 6: I can't do it anymore.
Speaker 7: It's too busy.
Speaker 6: But but it's been like a labor of love.
Speaker 7: It's been a labor of love.
Speaker 5: Like it was not we did it kind of as a you know, it was in a bad spot when we took it in. It was probably very close to closing. And now you know, we're able to get a new ownership group in there that I think he's gonna make it a thing in Europe, which is awesome. So yeah, it's it's it's been fun, but it's also you know, it's like when I sold over or when I sold KSR, I was right up in that room right there. Drew was there in the office. This was fall of twenty twenty. When we sold it, I cried, I mean financially it was going to change my life for the positive, that though, but like it had been with me every day since two thousand and five, and to just sign it over it was like, so it won't be quite like that because I'm not you know, Al and then were the ones that do it all the time.
Speaker 7: But it is a little uh, you know, it's a little sad.
Speaker 3: I don't know why you're talking on VW. I did want to ask you how did the cash flow cash experience?
Speaker 7: He looked awesome. YEA.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you something that dude is gonna be if he if he stays committed to it, he's gonna be a star in wrestling. Not like he is going to be a star because he not only can he talk, not only does it, but he can like as they say in wrestling, he can work.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: I had one of the trainers say to me, dude's got as much potential as anybody we've had here in a decade.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 5: And that's the truth. If he if he wants to do huh. And I said that to him. After the interview, I went outside and I was like, man, this is yours for the taking if you want it, and I feel like he does, so I hope it works out.
Speaker 7: He looked like a natural in that match last week to be his first match in an arena. Was he the main event? I think yeah? I mean he looked like.
Speaker 5: It's like like I'm an expert chanting because I you know, I've never I don't wrestle, etcetera. But I've been around now for four or five years, and Shannon, you've been around longer than that. You can see when a dude's got it or not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got the natural ability.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that was a quick match too, That was under a minute, so you know, probably smart booking there. But but yeah, he looks great.
Speaker 5: The Shannon's waiting for the moment when he gets a piece of it.
Speaker 7: I because I'm gonna laugh.
Speaker 4: We're at Waterfront Park by the way tomorrow, friend, really.
Speaker 5: Hey Derby week is here, and who's going to rise above the rest and be crowned king of the track? Go to DK Horse, which is the current number one downloaded horse betting app. Remember use the code ks R horse. I use a code KSR horse. You can man a make a derby. Bet five dollars or more on the derby, and I fat horse wins, you win a piece of a million dollars. D KSR horse is the code. The app is the dk horse app. Bet of five dollars on the derby. If your horse wins, you win a share of a million dollars with all the other people on DK horse who bet it. That's at DraftKings. Go to check it out and the crown is yours. If you have a gaming problem, call on here Gamber eighteen plus twenty one plus in certain areas open owner access and advanced deposit wagering account resume stake and where DK.
Speaker 7: Horse is available.
Speaker 5: Elder SI's fly before were prohibited often and plays five dollars straight win bet on the derby. First eligible bet only must win to share a million cash reward via p click to claim expires.
Speaker 6: In thirty days. It's May third.
Speaker 5: See terms a dk horse dot com slash bet slash offer slash details.
Speaker 7: What was that third line there? You said I missed it?
Speaker 4: Slash wise.
Speaker 3: That disclaimer is a little ridiculous.
Speaker 6: The disclaimer is as long as the copy.
Speaker 7: Yes We'll be right back z.
Speaker 3: Slash slash welcome back.
Speaker 5: It is Kentucky Sports Radio A five nine, two eight, twenty two, two eighty seven. Here at Ks Bar and Grill, it is Wings Day. Come on in Dollar Wings throughout the day and night. One person Rights, Matt, Now that you sold it, would you be in season two Wrestlers as part of the contract. I actually do have to be in season two if they have it. So I don't know how that would work, but they I think I'm just I was an easy bad guy for him, so.
Speaker 6: I think they would. I think they would find a way.
Speaker 4: To buch of Russell cash.
Speaker 6: That's how we'll take you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe it'll be teaching me to wrestle.
Speaker 7: That we can be season two. Now that you're not the boss. You can hang out with them at the Holiday Inn Bar where they all hang out and hung out after fighting. You could just be one of the.
Speaker 5: Holiday in Bars something else. Now, if you want to see some sights, go to the Holiday In Bar on a Thursday night after the show.
Speaker 7: Here, you will be in season two. You will you'll see.
Speaker 5: That what burst Rights Matt was there ever, at time that you knew you're in Col's relationship was going bad, and did you try to stop it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: I mean it started going bad the COVID year or the year we played right, so that was twenty twenty, twenty twenty one. We were obviously very critical on here and because the team was terrible. And then there was a night where Dwayne Peevey said, hey, let's get you and Cal on the phone. Let's see if we can make this better. And I had a conversation with him and it just it didn't go particularly well. I mean he kind of said, you know, to be fair to him, his view was, look, well, you've had a good relationship. I've been good to you, like you know you should you should take up for me. And I said, I do take up for you, but we're six and thirteen, Like, I can't go. I can't at six and thirteen go hey, things are great. And I said, you know, I'm of more help to you if people think I'm unbiased, and he just didn't like that answer. And then we had one more conversation when the season ended.
Speaker 7: There was a little more positive, but still.
Speaker 5: Was not great. And then we never really talked again. There were people that would try to put us into connection over the next couple of years, and I was always willing to do it. That was what frustrated me towards the end. Does everybody go, Matt, why don't you try to reach out? I probably had five different people say I'd like to put you in cow in a room, or let's you and Kyle talk. I said I would do it every single time, and it just didn't happen, and so listen. It made me sad, like we've taken a lot we've enjoyed in the last year, going hey, thanks Tyson Chicken for coming and getting even all. As that relationship broke apart, it made me really sad. It did because he'd been a big part of my existence for a decade. But you know, at the end of the day, he's gonna leave one day, and keeping my relationship with the audience and where the audience can have trust with me is more important.
Speaker 6: You know, I'll be honest with you. I felt.
Speaker 5: I was felt the same thing kind of happening. My relationship with Mark Stoops is still positive, but if they have a bad year, same thing might happen this year. You know, and I have made a personal decision whether this. I thought a lot about this when I was in Europe last summer. I've made a personal decision that, like, I'm not becoming friends with any more of these folks.
Speaker 6: And it's nothing personal.
Speaker 5: It's just it's hard to be objective when you when you have a personal relationship with somebody. So I owe it to this job to not become like good friends with the people doing.
Speaker 3: I can't remem if I ask you this, but I'm gonna ask you now. Anyway, do you think if Dwayne Peevey had stayed he would help put him?
Speaker 7: Not?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but there was gonna come a point that if he kept losing, there was nothing I could do. You know, if Dwayne stayed, maybe the relationship with cal and I would have been better for like one more year. But like, once you lose to Saint Peter's, you lose to Saint Peter's. Once you lose to Oakland, you lose to Oakland? Like what are you gonna do? I mean, nothing else you can do. But it is tough. I mean it's tough. It's it's it's hard when you've had really positive relationships with somebody.
Speaker 6: Drew to say this person needs to go. But that's our job.
Speaker 7: Right, got a job to do that. Twenty twenty, twenty twenty one year. It's hard to say. I mean, when you lose to Richmond in reperena, I mean, what are we supposed to say on the radio, Well, we'll get them next time you and see will was that what it was? It was Richmond that we lose to Richmond as well? We did. That's Georgia Tech right after that. I think it was Richmond.
Speaker 3: Georgia Tech with Josh Passner his assistant.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, what are we supposed to say?
Speaker 5: You remember I was supposed to go on ESPN during the Georgia Tech game. Oh yeah, I was supposed to go on ESPN and like we were gonna be playful and whatever. And we were down thirty five points and I said, I called Jimmy Dikes at halftime. I was like, I can't come on here and be playful, and he goes, what do you mean. I'm like, we're down thirty five points. You realize if I come on there and be playful, my fans are gonna get And I turned down going on ESPN because remember he had that baseball player was it who was on the first half played for the Yankees.
Speaker 7: He had gone to Georgia tent with you. I can't think of that.
Speaker 5: And then I was supposed to be on the second half. I was like, I can't come down thirty. What do you want me to do?
Speaker 7: Richmond, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame were consecutive.
Speaker 5: I think, Look, remember saw missed the game winning shot. And yes, for those Damiens, Jan Ryan, you've.
Speaker 6: Been friends with them over the years. You know it's hard.
Speaker 3: It is hard, and you know they teach you back in broadcasting school, don't be friends of your coaches, of the people you're gonna cover, because, as you just witnessed, it kinda can come back and bite you on the butt sometimes.
Speaker 5: The only two people here that I've been like actual friends with is Dwayne Peevey and Vince.
Speaker 7: Cow and Stoops.
Speaker 5: We've had good relationships, but I wouldn't say we're friends. They're not inviting me to their weddings, right, And I love Vince. I mean, Vince is my guy. He'll always be my guy. But after Vince, I'm not come friends with anybody again. Get away from me, you know you're too close.
Speaker 6: No new friend TJ. Smith, personal injury attorney, called TJ.
Speaker 5: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 4: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 6: Welcome back Tucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 5: If I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven text machine seven seven two seven seven four uh five two five four, we're berest rets text machine.
Speaker 6: Matt.
Speaker 5: You are a journalist, but cal Perry did super charge your career.
Speaker 6: You should remember that. Of course, of course that's true. But here's what I feel like.
Speaker 5: It's like Brian Winnhorse, the guy on ESPN with Lebron. Yeah right, so Lebron made Brian windhorse career cal in some ways, not every way, but in some ways helped make my career. With that said, though Brian Windhorse can't spin the rest of his time in the NBA not criticizing Lebron, it would make it look he wouldn't have any credibility if he did that. I heard him talking about it, because you know, Lebron took a shot at him a few weeks ago, and I liked what he said. He said, Lebron doesn't owe me anything, but I still have to do my job and He's exactly right about that.
Speaker 3: We can't be sunshine pumpers when it's not justified. I mean, we wouldn't be doing our job if we we're fans as much as anything, we hurt when our team doesn't do well. We have to act that way.
Speaker 7: One person rights.
Speaker 5: I'd like to know from the three of you guys that deal with the players, who was your favorite player to deal with off the court in your time you've been doing it? Ron, you go first, who's your favorite player UK.
Speaker 7: Off the court?
Speaker 3: You mean while they were playing or while they were playing. While they were playing, that's a great question. Well, you know already had a relationship with Walter McCarty annoing him from Evansville. When I first got here, he was good, kind of just we kind of had that vibe. We're both from Evansville area. Uh. Most of my guys I really got friendly with afterwards. I always kind of connected with the uh the bench players.
Speaker 7: J P.
Speaker 3: Blevins, Yeah, I know, you go to speaking yep, Steve Macielo, Brandon Stockton, you know those guys, you kind of relate to them a little bit better.
Speaker 5: Uh mine before I go to Drew Wukash, Yeah, Wukosh was always Wukasha, and I became and is still consider him a good friend. Ramel Bradley I still consider a good friend. And then while they were here, I really really like Georts and I really like DeMarcus. I think those were the two. But those guys I knew while they were here. But Wukash and Ramel for me, were the two that I had the best connection to. What about you, uh, DeMarcus, But a lot of that was built after he left.
Speaker 7: I got to know him a little better in his NBA years. Uh nothing the Bahamas trip, I mean, anyone on those teams, Seriously, I'll know. I'll never no players better than I know.
Speaker 5: There's a little bit with the twenty fifteen group where when you see him we are like yeah, you know, Like even the ones that were quiet, like the Harrison Twins.
Speaker 7: There's a little bit like we've been through it together.
Speaker 6: Man. The Bahamas were something, weren't they?
Speaker 7: Willie? I knew Carl really well, even not just the Bahamas. That helped, but like we were doing the air shots, Carl did a lot of events when he did his signing tour. I was taking pictures of one of them, so I knew Carl really well. One time I was at a wedding in can Coon and I get a DM from Devin Booker. He's like, you're in CanCon. I'm in cancuon what's up at this point's with the Suns? And I'm thinking, why it is Devin Booker writing me? But it all goes back to that Bahamas I got to know each other.
Speaker 5: And even the second one was a little bit like that, But the first one was the first one.
Speaker 6: The first one, Willie.
Speaker 5: If you want a documentary about Kentucky basketball, that would be fun. The two best documentaries you could do on Kentucky sports, The Billy Gillespierra, Yes, like a thirty for thirty on the two years the Billy Gillespierra.
Speaker 7: Would be amazing.
Speaker 5: And then that twenty fifteen twenty fourteen behind this trip where the staff there was no rules. Now they put some rules into place a few years later. I think they learned a lot. They had security though.
Speaker 7: But that first time it was and like Willie, he was injured. We didn't have a curfew. I mean, we've told these stories even with Willie, but I'd be playing Blackjacket in the middle night. Look up there's Willie. He's still around here, so we just got to know him more than we'd ever know them do an interview.
Speaker 5: All I know about Willie is Willy put a lot of stuff on the tab.
Speaker 7: I don't know who paid the tab, but I know some details on this. They had me to pay it. I was like, heck, no, I'm not paying you.
Speaker 5: Who's up next, Chris, Chris, go ahead, Chris, Yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Got two questions for you. First question is where do you see the biggest change in college athletics over the next ten years, whether that's tournament wise as wise. Just what do you all say as far as that? And then the second question is the burning question going around the internet right now with the one hundred men versus an eight.
Speaker 7: Versus a gorilla.
Speaker 5: It sounds like everybody's talking about that now. I mean, there is an amount of men that would kill a grill, So the only question is is it one hundred? I feel like a hundred. If you just take one hundred people off the street, then I'm going grill. But if you take one hundred people that can fight, then I'm taking people. So like, if you just look at this bar, if you just take all of us, we're done, we're out. But if you were to take like a hundred big fighting people, if it's in linement, yeah, then I then I think I would take the people.
Speaker 3: I think that's that's that's the key. You got to ask some big guys to kind of hold that grill down. But I just hope I'm not ever gonna be big, But.
Speaker 5: I will say, like the first ten people, you're a sacrificial way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you just said, well, there's gonna be a front line in this.
Speaker 7: You're out.
Speaker 6: You know, you guys are in trouble.
Speaker 5: The biggest change coming in college sports, in my opinion, obviously, is the is the payment system. But I honestly think in the next year, Congress, well we here's what we have to do. I don't care whether you love Trump or don't like Trump. I think everybody would agree. It's been a chaotic one hundred days. There's gonna be another chaotic fifty to one hundred days. But then things are gonna settle down because Congress people are gonna start to.
Speaker 6: Get ready for reelection. Right, so, like all of.
Speaker 5: A sudden, the world is gonna stabilize a little bit. When that happens, I think college athletic legislation becomes something that will get passed. It's a bipartisan effort. It's the kind of thing they'll get past. It's the kind of thing Trump I think would like to be able to say I saved college sports. That feels like the kind of thing he would enjoy saying. So I do think it happens. The devil is gonna be in the details of what that legislation looks like. If it looks like I want it to look, and the way that it seems like Corey Booker and Ted Cruz want it to look, then I think college sports will be in a good place and it can start to stabilize. But this next I'm gonna assume we're gonna still have chaos through about July. But then this fall, I think they will create the future.
Speaker 7: Of college athletics and we'll see what it ends up being. Drew have did the house thing that was supposed to get done. Just in the last week, judge postponed the settlement.
Speaker 5: The judge basically said, I'm fine with this settlement, but you can't take scholarships away from the kids that are in school now. So they went to the parties and said fix that part and then come back to me. And I think they have another week to fix it, so we'll see what ends up. But it looked like to me reading the arguments, that they will end up. But that settlement only applies to pass players. What we're worried about is the future, and the future is gonna need congressional legislation. It cannot be done legally without congressional legislation, in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Keep his posting on that, will you?
Speaker 6: Is that not you read on it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, I enjoy hearing your thoughts about it. Keeps me up to day on what's going on.
Speaker 7: But you don't.
Speaker 6: You don't do any analysis yoursell phone.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I think it's off of the better and it's all.
Speaker 6: For the better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what what is off for the better? Just to you know, clean up this mess. We're in, this NIO mess. They're gonna make some legislation to kind of you have.
Speaker 6: Some specifics of what you think is gonna happen.
Speaker 3: I would like to. I would like to think there's gonna be some sort of salary cap, but.
Speaker 5: You cannot have a salary cap unless Congress waives the anti trust clause.
Speaker 6: So people, so people don't know.
Speaker 5: Colleges cannot collude and say we're not gonna pay anymore.
Speaker 6: That will be against the law.
Speaker 5: So the only way you can do that is Congress does what they did with baseball, which says we're going to create an exception for this industry. And Congress has to do that. That's why we have to have the bill. If we don't have the bill, you cannot have a salary cap.
Speaker 7: I don't understand. When you have the salary cap and the payouts of the twenty a half million, how can you tell them they still can't go to Clark's pumping shop and just get a ton of money to throw on a T shirt. You can't.
Speaker 5: But you could make it to where the NCAA has complete enforcement power to say you have to be doing the work that's worth the money you're getting, because right now the courts have said the NCAA can't even do that. So you know, you gotta have legislation. And I think by the way that both parties, Democrats and Republicans, agree with that.
Speaker 6: The devil is just in the details of how.
Speaker 7: You do it.
Speaker 3: So when's it gonna happen?
Speaker 5: I think I said this fall. After the next hundred days, keep me posted, Humber.
Speaker 7: There's already been one hundred days that have been a little hected, little chaos. There's gonna be a fifty.
Speaker 5: And then I think I heard that on KSR this week Cornbreadhimp dot com. The cornbread Hemp, the the Seltzers, the THHC seltzers are like they're flying off the shelf. Yes, but they're back on the shelves. We may end up having them at this bar for a little while.
Speaker 6: May.
Speaker 3: They probably won't last long there either, so but.
Speaker 7: Not yet, but may we'll see.
Speaker 5: But cornbread Hemp promo code KSR for the hemp gummies check out, go to one of your stores and do the seltzers. I have friends who have who have drank those regularly, who say like it's their favorite thing. So check them out. Cornbread Hemp and the corn bread Hemp Seltzer. We'll take a break right back to Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: Final statement here Kentucky Sports Radio text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four the moment the show ends, Okay, you have till from eleven fifty seven to twelve o'clock to write the text machine, if you will, if you will give me your all I need from you is the UK player that you liked the most. Okay, the UK player you like the most. I'm gonna ask Mario after the show, who is the UK Well, sorry, you want to write the UK player you think Mario liked the most. All right, so Mario's favorite UK player. I'm gonna ask him after the show all time. If you get it right, and then you put your email dress in the text. The first person that gets it right, I'm gonna give tickets to my for the Reds game tonight, Evie. So all you have to do is put who you think Mario will say is the best, is his favorite player, and your email address. If you have the right player and don't have your email dress, and then then you don't get it, because I will write the first person and give you my Reds tickets tonight. It's like a row right behind home plate. Perfect tickets. But wait till the show ends. Don't give it right now, and all you're doing is sending the name and your email dress of who. And now I don't even know what Mario is gonna sy say. I will ask him as soon as the show.
Speaker 7: Should the winner get a copy of All Fours to take to the game, just do.
Speaker 5: A lot of you who have read the book say Matt didn't think it would be your kind of book. I'm not saying it is my kind of book. I just think it's I think it's good. But uh, you gotta think. Also with Mario how.
Speaker 3: Old he is?
Speaker 5: Yep, right, So don't you want you don't want to guess cotton Ash. I don't think you never know Mario. Remember it was JT's favorite player. Club Blue is an official in anile fundraising partner of the University of Kentucky and they're proud to introduce.
Speaker 3: Club Blue Kids. Tell me about it.
Speaker 5: It's a club for young UK fans. You get perks like an official UK Club Blue Kids T shirt that's kind of neat, a membership card for your kid with the lanyard, and a chance to have exclusive athlete experiences for your children.
Speaker 6: Very cool idea. I didn't even know they were doing this Club Blue Kids.
Speaker 5: Learn more at Club blueennil dot com for Club Blue Kids.
Speaker 7: That's good.
Speaker 5: They need to do one of those for kids. I think the parents have to pay. I don't know for the kids We're not trying to take the kids piggy bank, but for this club blue nio dot com, they are getting rid of the penny. We've talked about that. Yes, Congress is gonna make the legislation. Apparently now it costs four cents to make a penny. There are some people arguing that they're trying to figure out what is the date that people should have to turn their pennies in?
Speaker 7: Yes, okay, so how long.
Speaker 5: After let's say we make the penny band tomorrow, how long should we have people have to where they have to go to the bank and turn their penny in.
Speaker 7: Tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I'm out here, I'm gonna say it's gonna cause the log jam. I'm gonna give them a year. A year.
Speaker 6: Do you have pennies?
Speaker 3: I have a jar full pennies in my house.
Speaker 5: So you're gonna go You'll go turn them absolutely, how long you think you should get.
Speaker 7: I'll say six months for all the all the ryans that have jars of penn Can you.
Speaker 5: Imagine how awful it would be to work at a bank and just see person after person come in with their jar and want nickels.
Speaker 7: Soon If you're three dollars twenty five.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh it and that would be awful, wouldn't it? Just to sit there and deal with the pennies forever.
Speaker 4: A lot of banks have machines though, that can kind of, you know, get a dollar.
Speaker 3: All these people walk in carrying all the big milk jugs full of pennies.
Speaker 5: What are we gonna do with They're gonna melt them down to whatever they're made of.
Speaker 6: The government Trump, I mean, the.
Speaker 5: Government gets to take it, right, like the government kind of owns that, whatever it is it's made of, and then they can do the statue of Trump.
Speaker 7: I just got that, like life size. Yeah, make something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So there you go. That that's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: The penny, I think they're the legislation is being drawn up, and I think everybody's gonna nobody wants the penny.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I can't remember my last spinny. They usually end up in the trash or somewhere. Yeah, who's up next?
Speaker 6: Mickey, Mickey?
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 6: Mickey?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 10: Hell?
Speaker 7: No, Matt doing good?
Speaker 11: Hey, I got a question for the athletic minded people out there, all right? And Drew, uh, Hey, you guys gonna be here in Orangsboro on Friday next Friday. Yes, if you decide you want to play a little pick a ball, I don't give us a call. Oh you don't know, Oh my gosh. All right, well, if you decide you want to on Thursday or Friday, give us a call and we'll get you out there. We'll even let Mac come by and watch.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's not gonna do that.
Speaker 5: I appreciate the b but we're going on with Boro week from Friday. It'd be nice to go out there. Haven't done a show there in a couple of years, so looking forward.
Speaker 3: To I hear a rumor we may be getting facials?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 6: Yes, they are giving us.
Speaker 7: I signed for one. Yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 3: I think we all get facials while we're over there.
Speaker 7: Ever had a facial before? Never?
Speaker 3: I don't even know what they do enough in a facial.
Speaker 5: Make sure you get the right cut, make sure you go to the skinner. Other kind of facials you don't you don't want to get. Who's up next?
Speaker 3: Let's go to Luke?
Speaker 7: Luke? What's up? Luke?
Speaker 12: I ain't Matt real quick? Since UH call her a head, asked about a finals and everything. I was just wondering what a professor. H Matt Jones if he gave a final or what?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get finals. Mario actually moderated my final this year.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: At Georgetown, I write a final.
Speaker 3: Exam and then Billy do it last year.
Speaker 5: He's done it for me before too, because we always end up on our trip across the country during it. So uh so, yeah, I'll give a final exam. I appreciate the call. I'm I'm a hard teacher, but I give easy grades. So I make them do a lot of work. But then when it comes down to it, I'm kind of a softie and I don't want to fail anybody.
Speaker 7: So can you take it's very seriously with your final?
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 5: I'm taking next fall off because I have to be in I'm going to South Africa for three weeks and so I would have to miss so much. I'm taking next fall off from teaching, but we'll do one more.
Speaker 6: Who's next, Shane al Right's go to Jacob. Jacob, go ahead, Jacob.
Speaker 8: Hi, good morning everyone. I just wanted to thank you all for an incredible year. It's been so much fun following along and listening in during this past basketball season, like I've been more invested in this past season than I have been in the years. And as much as I love all your insight and takes on Kentucky sports, frequently my favorite part of the show is just the stories and interactions among the hosts, and at times I can tend to forget that I've listened to a radio show versus getting listening to a group of like a longtime friends as they talk about life in sports. And lastly, and briefly, it's been a rough past few weeks personally with uncertain of work and not knowing if when I and my team might be laid off. So the highlight of my day has been listening into the podcast each evening, and you never know what the top this might be, from like portal news to getting to listen to Ryan trying out jokes over his talk his drink conference.
Speaker 5: That's very very kind of you to say, and you know, whatever you're going through, I'll say a prayer for you tonight. I appreciate it. That's very very nice. See isn't that a very nice conversation.
Speaker 3: So you you're in this suit, yeah, looking dapper.
Speaker 5: Now that you have a suit on, what are you're gonna do for the rest of the day.
Speaker 3: I'm immediately going home and taking it off immediately.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't this be a good time, though, to do some realtor stuff and maybe to look professional around space.
Speaker 6: You know, the market's hot. According to a commercial.
Speaker 3: It is a good time to buy. So we can help you that with talk to mortgage. Now, I gotta go get my oil change, so I'm not gonna wear this to hit my oil change. Hey, I'm gonna put on some shorts and flip flops.
Speaker 5: Are you by the way, Josiah got to graduate. Yeah, separations coming. Are you feeling it at the moment.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of looking forward to it, but I know the week he leaves, I'll be like, oh man, this house is really empty.
Speaker 5: Get sadat you're looking for to your kid getting out.
Speaker 3: I've had a kid in my house for twenty seven years. It mean my first time in twenty teo you have not had a kid.
Speaker 6: She can be all alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'll probably hit me. Yeah, I got the three dogs in the pool and maybe all have a lot of pool parties.
Speaker 7: Todd, Bryan and the football team will still be over there. Yeah, that's good day.
Speaker 3: Come over.
Speaker 6: Thank you folks very much. Remember we got Dollar Wings all day.
Speaker 5: We will be in Louisville on Friday, but we are also here again tomorrow. Thanks to all of you folks who made the trip here. Is nice to see everybody. We will see you later. This has been Kentucky Sports Radio.