Speaker 1: Hey everybody, It's Matt and I'm very excited to let you know that my debut album, Have You Heard Of Christmas? Is out Friday, November three. Stream it everywhere in anywhere you do that and order the vinyl online now. I've also got new merch and tickets to my tour at www Dot Matt Rogersofficial dot com. I'm starting with six shows at the Soho Theater in London from November thirteenth through eighteenth, and then I'm all over the States and Toronto starting December first in Philly and wrapping up December twenty third in New York City. Again, check out www Dot Matt Rogersofficial dot com for all the new music, merch and tour info. Very exciting. It's officially Christmas and now my gift to you a podcast. Look Marire, oh, I see you my own go and look over there is that culture? Yes? Goodnow lost lost, just calling.
Speaker 2: I've had an acts of violence committed in my own home.
Speaker 1: I knocked over with reckless abandon a glass of water.
Speaker 2: I didn't offer to poor you new glass.
Speaker 1: You didn't I do well because because you said something as you What did I say? Was that water?
Speaker 2: Do you remember you said you drank that water that I poured you earlier, and you said this is the best water.
Speaker 1: Oh, I said, this is the best water I've ever drank. So is that a new Britta?
Speaker 2: No, I've had that for many many moments.
Speaker 1: Now do you clean it a lot? Do you let it?
Speaker 2: I clean it a lot. I get really scared about mold. I get really diligent.
Speaker 1: About it because you know, one time I really got sick from my own Britta filter. You think it was the mold because I actually was under the impression. And this is sort of hashtag how I be. But I thought that because it was a Britta, you didn't have to clean it. No, girl, Well, clearly no. My own body was telling me that. Over months, I became weaker. I became a shell of myself from the Britta.
Speaker 2: Isn't it crazy how everything in this world needs to be cleaned? Mm hm, there is not a single.
Speaker 1: Thin bitch that is so macro what you said every day probably needs to be cleaned.
Speaker 2: I mean, on so many levels that statement should resonate. But I think you have to wipe every single thing you own.
Speaker 1: It is so much more important than you ever know. There was years of my life. I was living in Squalor, Squalor, my own filter. You could compare it to grey gardens, but it was like an unseen gray garden's atmosphere. What was going on in my apartments for years because I just didn't know how to change filters? I just didn't. And I'm talking about both britta and air. Yes, I'm talking about filters and every good.
Speaker 2: Luck getting me to change the air filters and anything.
Speaker 1: My mother will be texting me every five and a half months. You know it's almost time to change the filters. Your parents, I don't know keep track of this shit. I don't get I feel like you and I have both. I'm not going to use this word in the jair. We've both become adults. What I was not going to say? Adulting?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay. So what's a jerond like an I G word?
Speaker 1: Oh? Seriously? Yes, yes, So a jerand is just anything that ends an I in g. Basically, holy shit? What did you think it meant? You? Jarond meant a type of word like it's a popular gerond that is used like a cultural jaren. That's true. I don't know a type of word, yes, but I thought it meant like like a jareded would be like a type of noun or something.
Speaker 2: Jarened a form that is derived from a verb, but that function is a noun in English ending I g asking in do you mind my asking you? That's a d Jared is a noun verb basically, got it. It's used as a noun, but it's verbified. It's a verbed way of.
Speaker 1: Thank you for letting Jaren right, thank you for your letting me know. Does that make sense? Doesn't make any sense at all? Thank you for instructing me on that. Instructing Jaren, well.
Speaker 2: Not in that use, because it's just a verb. You need to use it as a noun. Thank you for you instructing me. Thank you for your instructing me. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: In instructing me, you've done something, You've really done something right there. I don't think I'm gonna get it. And you know what's crazy is we were on a Google doctum.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say yeah, and the authority with which Matt commands the mechanical things on a document, I thought, I was like very like personnikity. And I'm not saying you're persnikity, but I'm saying, you have the eye for it in a way that is very powerful.
Speaker 1: And you know what else is happening right now, You're saying powerful and you're not saying correct because I guarantee there's some things I do with punctuation. No, and you gently let me know about this, because I was saying there are some.
Speaker 2: Occasions no, and I actually think you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what I was saying was, there are occasions when you're, say, typing out a sentence where a quoted word or section of words, the comma.
Speaker 2: The punctuation should be either in some cases it's within the quotations, in some cases it's out.
Speaker 1: And I think that it's so difficult for me to explain what I mean by that.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean, but try to explain and I'll support you.
Speaker 1: It's okay. So say this was the sentence Britney Spears took to task.
Speaker 2: In her book. In her book, oh wait, sorry, sorry now I'm.
Speaker 1: Wait, here's it in a sentence Britney Spears was one of the Mouseketeers. I don't think this is gonna work. Here.
Speaker 2: Here's an example. In Britney's book, she says, quote, oh, Jamie Lynn lied to me comma end quote, before she went on to accuse her father Jamie Spears, like, does that make sense? Like the quote the comma is in is in the quotation. I think we may be in the week, but then the comma is out of the quotation. If it's Britney Spears's book quote the woman in me end quote comma, yes.
Speaker 1: No, because the book would not be in quotation because it would be italicized because it's a It's okay. So what we have to know everyone is that we were on a Google doc together and I think I really know what I'm talking about. You a punctuation, Yes you do. And while that's not coming across here, because I don't know my words, but I do know my heart in this. You don't know your words that you do know your ma, my mechanics. When I'm typing out, it's a different beast than when I'm speaking. When i'm speaking, I feel like it is some sort of like you know, swamp of words.
Speaker 2: Can I say, But when you are typing or when you were guiding a typing session, huh, you have the authority. Something happens where you become the queen.
Speaker 1: Something happens when I become the queen. When someone is typing, you know what I really should when you know what Sudie would say, why don't you just type? And I really probably should just start just typing instead of being like, I think the apostrophe goes over here, I think the colon here, No, that's a semi colon. What we need is a call it. I think I should just type, because then, like I wouldn't feel like I was patronizing. This is a very specific conversation that we're having, But I think a lot of people can relate to this because I don't find moments like that to be micromanagy. I don't mean to be. I just want punctuation to be clear and correct.
Speaker 2: Also, I don't mind being micromanaged.
Speaker 1: I really don't. I really don't unless the person's wrong.
Speaker 2: Unless the person's wrong, and I'm like, but then I, hopefully in a very respectful way, say I disagree, yeah, or maybe not. But if it's for like a common goal of like, let's get the mechanics the punctuation right on this document, I'll be like, tell me what to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I guess I'd rather just take it then and correct it than say to someone over their soldier, because there's something vulnerable about when you expose the fact that maybe you don't know how to spell things or use punctuation, or like, I don't know, like I never want to, I don't know. Why what is this therapy? I don't want anyone to think, uh huh, I don't have a control over the written word. Why not? I don't know. It's I think such a talented writer. I think that. To prove it to anybody, I think that, And maybe you can relate to this. When I was younger, yes, one of the things I could control was that I was good at types of school and English was one of them. In writing was one of them. Yes, And I was like, don't tell me that I'm wrong on this, because I know I'm right. Wow. And I had very little control over like other things, like I was absolutely.
Speaker 2: And more often than that, you were right. I don't throw this around to tell me.
Speaker 1: I was the only student in my senior year of high school to get one hundred on the regions, which was the big test in English, and the five on ap COMP and a five on ap LID. I was the only one, and so I thought, if I know something. It's proud of you. And here's the thing. You think about those accomplishments and you scoff, because I don't scoff. I'm so proud of you, know, and I thank you, sister, But inside you know that you were one of those standardized girls. No, but that means nothing. I say that I'm a standardized girl now.
Speaker 2: Because I'm like, it really says nothing about the person. And this is a critique on modern educational system.
Speaker 1: I think that that's so far what this episode has been one thousand percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our schools has failed us. Man and I are both products of the public.
Speaker 1: Schools which we support, which we support, but on some level we feel filed. You know. We were talking the other day. I was in a group. We were talking about like just how you learned things in high school? Yes, tell me if this rings true for you. Would a teacher ever go to like the whiteboard or whatever and just put something up there and you'd have to just take down notes copiously and you would never actually be instructed about a certain topic, but you would just take down notes. Yeah, And the teachers would say repetition is the key to learning, so they wouldn't teach. They would just put notes up on the board. You would take the notes down again and again and again and again and again, to the point where at the end of the year or whenever you had a test, it was essentially muscle memory of the answers.
Speaker 2: One thousand percent. Yeah, and it's repetition is not the key to learning. And actually this is a perfect story and example about when a teacher, fully we could all tell she did not give a shit. But she was one of those teachers who was like, listen to what I say because it's always right. And we really hated her for it. I forget her name, but this was the seventh grade. We had a crazy year in the seventh grade. Our middle school decided to give us two English classes. We had a composition, composition and reading. So for the composition class, this teacher would put down. She was like in her early thirties, didn't want to do it, didn't want to be there, was above the job, hated us like she sucked bad vibes. But she would put on a transparency like a list of vocabulary words. Right, and then there's the word chicanery.
Speaker 1: C h I C A n E R y chicanery. My girl is this if I knew something, it was how to spell.
Speaker 2: Well, keep listening. Okay, we go miss Williamson, whatever her name was, how do you pronounce that word?
Speaker 1: And she we go.
Speaker 2: Stumped and like there's a heavy silence as this room full of fourteen year old students, eager students, wanting to learn.
Speaker 1: Your students, ready to learn knowledge.
Speaker 2: Rabbits pronolage. But we had all turned on her, like months ago, I were stinkers, but we weren't stinkers.
Speaker 1: Okay, I take it back.
Speaker 2: We weren't stinkers. We were actually like wanting to learn. And then we were like, miss Williamson, how do you pronounce that word? She looks at it, pregnant pause, chicken.
Speaker 1: Airy And then all of us burst out laughing, laughed at this woman. I already say it, chic canary, canary, chicken airy is better beautiful. There's no like. That is the definite. That's the definition of chic canery is pronouncing a chicken airy? Is this seventh grade teacher who talked down her students all year long, eating fucking shit.
Speaker 2: Beefing it in front of us with this word what she's supposed.
Speaker 1: To tricken airy? All this laughter at her, and we were like, that can't be how you say, and she kind of chuckled and was clearly embarrassed and then looked it up later. But chicken airy chiculary, that is too good. But I do you know what though, at least there was a moment right there where there could be the release of girl that's not right and also fuck you a little bit, yes, because sometimes I remember this happened to me and my family when we were actually in New York. We came for Christmas, okay, and we were in Macy's, yes, and I wish I could go back and tell this woman who treated my mother some kind of way that she was wrong because she made my mom feel bad and my dad was upset. No, So what happened was my mom, we come in from Long Island. It's me and my dad, my mom, my sister. I'm probably eleven, okay, Chelsea's tender age. So we had just seen like a show or something. We maybe shopped at Macy's, like it was crowded, bustley holiday, like maybe this girl behind the counter at Donna Karen was maybe she was tired or something as the holidays. So my mom hits the scene at Macy's and she wants to try some perfumes. Yes, so she goes up to the girl at the counter and she says, do you have Donna Kuran? And my mom says Koran, which.
Speaker 2: I thought was Koran as well in the beginning, common mistake.
Speaker 1: She also has a regional accents. Yes, Donna Kuran. This woman turned her face to my mother and she said, you mean Donna Karan and my family was frozen and my dad I could feel steamed, and she's like, yeah, that one, that one, and she's like, we actually I have to you know. And the conversation ended and my dad didn't say anything, but we left and she was like. My dad was like, I didn't like the way she corrected you snooty, Like it was not right. Come to find out it's Donna Karen. So my mom was actually closer. She wasn't right, Koran was not the way you say it. But Donna can funny. And when this woman was like you mean Donna Karan, like, ew, don't I want to go back in time? Get me the DeLorean, Now, get the Delorian girl. We're going back. I have to go back to two thousand and one. Macy two thousand and one, Mate, two thousand and one, Mason, Oh shit, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: No, was this after September eleventh or before?
Speaker 1: I mean if it was Christmas, hun but then you would have been three months after September December you would have been twelve. Look, I'm not dating it necessarily exactly. I'm not pinpointing it in time. I'm saying the energy was I was eleven. Does that make sense? It's like the question of the Big Mac. This is the question, though, we'll get back to the Big Mac. Okay.
Speaker 2: If the Delorian was taking you to December, November, whatever, two thousand and one, your only responsibility is to go to that woman and say it's pronounced to Karen.
Speaker 1: I would make two stops. If I could go back in time on the DeLorean, I would make two stops. One, I would go back to your high school and your high school theater teacher that was treating you badly and interrogating you. I would actually get in her face and I would scare her. I would like scare her in a parking lot. She was fearless. She was fearless, Well not until I'm done with her, because I'm I'm going to scare the woman. I'm going to go back in time and I'm going to punk a horn in her or something, and I'm going to frighten her. And I'm gonna say bowen Yang stays unscathed because I gotta get her. She has hers coming. Then I would go back in time and I would tell this one. I would say, I would go up behind this woman and I would say, Hi, I just want to let you know it's not a Karen idiot. And then I would disappear. Don't treat people like that. That is I would go back in time and my deloreate and I would use it. If I had to correct two things, I'd be nasty to those women. I know would be mean and nasty to those women. This is my question.
Speaker 2: If it was November two thousand, Yeah, do you tell people what's happening in nine months?
Speaker 1: I don't know if I can answer this question, because that's a very big topic. It's a huge addition. The YouTube all of a sudden for no nine to eleven footage? Does that ever happen to you? It's happened to me.
Speaker 2: And then I fall down the hole and then I for like at least a few weeks. I keep getting nine to eleven stuff.
Speaker 1: It's so bizarre. All of a sudden, I think I watched one video, which was because I couldn't believe this existed. It was the YouTube video was live footage of Regis and Kelly show during nine to eleven, and I was like, there's no way, lo and behold, no, you weren't even on. No, yes they were. They were on when the second tower was hit.
Speaker 2: At like nine in the morning. Honey, that's when they go on. I thought they were on a like eleven.
Speaker 1: No, sweetie, sweetiere, you just and Kelly. Well really, Regis justly departed. Now Kelly and Water on at nine am, and they've been on at nine am. I know that seems early, but that's sort of what morning TV will do to you. Start early. Girl.
Speaker 2: We can announce, we can talk now, we can announce, we can announce that, my girl. First of all, have you heard of Christmas is out this Friday?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Number third featuring Bowen Yang on the track Rockefeller Santa.
Speaker 2: Very very honored and privileged one of my professional peaks.
Speaker 1: You and side I'm on side A, Oh my god, I'm on the vinyl.
Speaker 2: You are also featuring Vincent and Leland and Moon as we know. But now we'll be on Kelly Clerkson on Thursday. Kelly, this is you going on Kelly your friends. Now, this is a new era.
Speaker 1: I don't feel that nervous to go on because can I tell you something, not to center myself. But when I went on last week, it was like my old friend yeah, right exactly, just like hey you yeah.
Speaker 2: And then she will say, she said, my last Culture is disinterview was the piece of press for the Chemistry press cycle that got the most impact.
Speaker 1: The more people have gone up to her about our interview with her than anything else you did on she said, you have to talk to her about that. I'm just so excited that that went so well and that she feels that way and she looks back on positively. But yeah, I'm gonna see her Thursday you were on. Isn't that funny? Our friend Kelly, Our friend Kelly wait as a Lily lawyer.
Speaker 2: You hated to give her recommendations for New York. She wants me rex Oh.
Speaker 1: I actually like I am an arsenal of information. Unill I guess I don't really know like what she likes to do, right, I guess like that would be a question I'd have to ask her, is like, what do you want this girl? That's what I was thinking that I was peak behind the curtain. I was doing my pre interview earlier, and we got to talking about like dating in New York, and I was like, Oh, that's like something I guess I could connect with her over Like she's a single lady in New York. She looking good, she's got a new stylist on fair. She's like really feels excited and happy. There's a special Kelly energy in the air. And you know, I've been hitting the streets myself. I'm seeing a man in there. Okay, lucky fella, I've been playing the field.
Speaker 2: I love to hear that speaking of women in pop Yes, we must. I mean, there's no way we don't talk about this, No, I think that.
Speaker 1: Well, it's allegedly the best selling memoir of all time, and this is Britney Spears The Woman in Me. Of course, the Woman in Me is itolicized. It being the title of a book.
Speaker 2: Being the title book. We're holding a hard copy in our hands.
Speaker 1: We are, indeed, but we can confirm our method of consumption was audiobook.
Speaker 2: And miss Michelle Williams must win some series of accolades for that.
Speaker 1: It's the Grammy for sure for her. Yes, and can I say she just became a serious egot contender. Michelle's performance in this is really good. You really feel like it's coming from Brittany one thousand. It's a channeling moment.
Speaker 2: It fully channels her. And I will say, like, this is a total compliment, Like the writing is so beautifully simple.
Speaker 1: It's very clear, and it's clear, it's almost instructional about the ways in which she suffered.
Speaker 2: There's no mistaking it, there's no like interpreting it a certain way, there's nobody between the lines. But the way Michelle reads it is so so like watery is not the right word for it, but it just it just kind of flows so beautifully and it's powerful like water. It flows like water. It's delicate like water. I don't know, I may, Bruce leebagg I.
Speaker 1: Think that like something that I can pull from what you're saying is that there is a beautiful intention that feels very like natural to her. What she's saying almost it's like, you really like this voice. It's almost as if she went through it because she really gets Britney's sense of humor. She really throws out the like turn of phrases very naturally. This was directed by Thomas kel by the way, Yes, if you don't know, that's Michelle Williams's partner who directed Hamilton, and he directed the Sweety Todd Revival. And this is like a really talented theater artist. And you can tell this was like an intimate piece that was really worked on like almost between three people like him, Michelle and then Brittain. And then in terms of like the way that the material is laid out, it almost needs that like patience in reading it. Yes, because the truth is a lot of this is so horrible that it's like if it were to be indulged in by the person who went through it. I don't even know if she could have permanence on this. It's almost better because she might want to throw a lot of this away or like rush through this or get nervous the whole thing and just like that, yeah, wow, who knew? Who knew?
Speaker 2: And just like that would be prescient in that way.
Speaker 1: I just did such a word salad, but like no, no, no, in such a.
Speaker 2: I just called her performance watery what do you mean, I'm in the word salad. But Michelle, I was so struck by like the moment she chose to dial it back, dial it up, Like when they get to the part where she shaves her head, there's such a shift in the performance where Michelle, like and Thomas both know to like give this most gravity there can be, Like this was her one of her lowest moments where she was denied access to her own children when they were only like a year or less, And God like that whole moment. The way that that is narrated, the way it's written is phenomenal.
Speaker 1: What I love too is like she doesn't let anyone off the hook, but she also gives context for what she's kind. She's very kind. She actually does something here, which is she gives the backstory of the way her father grew up. And I think something that's a compliment to her kindness and the fact that she really actually gave her family some humanity here is that she illustrated the cycle of abuse, you know what I mean, Like, her grandfather was very very abusive to her father, who because of that, was you know, nasty to her mother. Her mother did not have it easy her mother was you know, very very complicit in Britney's treatment and like cruel in her own right, but she goes out of her way to explain why these people might have treated her this way. And what I thought was the really, if there's anything like beautiful to come out of this, it's that at least Britney's children seem happy and taken care of, you know what I mean, Like, so at least the cycle of abuse seems to have been broken, because it seems like she has happy children, and that is something that I left the book with, which was this is someone who, by all intents and purposes, could have become a monster in her own course. And she says that, you know, she wasn't perfect. There were times she was weird, there were times she made mistakes, but she's got happy kids, and it seems like to this day that's what she cares about the most, and that almost feels like reason for the book existing.
Speaker 2: Well, and the kids are now like seventeen sixteen, Yeah, they're older. They're older now, you know when she describes like lockdown or whatever and then just like being together, I was like, well, at least there's that, like at least and even that was the conservatorship technically, but it was like the kids showing her like what they painted, or like, yeah, the music or whatever that they would like play. And it's just it's so difficult to close out a book like this, the memoir like this, and end it on a hopeful note, right, because it is one of the great American tragedies period totally.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, like I almost feel like in ending the book, she would want us to think less of her as a tragedy and more as like someone who even though we might not get it, and we might as people that are looking at the phones like see what she's posting and think how sad, Like she at least takes ownership and accountability over what we might deem as like weird or crazy, because even if it's not anything we would post her we would do, at least it's autonomy. Yes, well, no, she explains it in a way that like changed my whole perspective on it, where like I was one of those people who in recent months or whatever, has been like, oh, Britney is really doing the knife dance whatever. But like I think she says specifically like people might think I'm being strained, and I post these videos of myself just posing and closed. But like, if you think of it, I've had my body. Yeah, I've been photographed my entire life by other people and evaluated by other people. Like if this is me actually feeling really sexy and pretty and nice and like wanting to show people the way that I want to. Yeah, and honestly, like, even if she doesn't quote unquote like the way she looks, like that's always been for other people anyway. Like, it's like it's been really interesting literally hearing from her the stuff about you know, when she famously like shaved her head, It's like she literally turned herself into a monster because that's what the gaze of society and the male gaze had done to her. They were like, she was like, you know what, I understand, this is why you're looking. So I'm going to make myself unattractive to you. And then she did so, and even her own family was treating her like she was the way she looked, which to them was disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it is deeply kind to her family, the way she even like includes her mother in and obviously, like Jean Spears was affected by Jamie's alcoholism in a very direct way. But like the way that like Brittany would write about her and her mom having to like withstand these nights where her dad would just be on a rampage like that is terrifying or not Jean Spears, I'm sorry, lind spin lind Spears is her mom. Sorry Jeane is the grandmother. But the way that well, they be naming each other after each other, it's crazy. The Jamie the Lynn, the Jamie Lynn y shit. Listen, I started talking. I'm not started to get a little bit.
Speaker 1: Can't would, honey, can't would? I said Brentwood. We got Jamie Lynn and Jamie Lynn party of three. Brittany's at home like slaving away on the VMAs.
Speaker 2: But like the way that Brittany writes about Jamie Lynn, like behaving in these kind of incompassionate ways, lack of a better word, like that's also very generous.
Speaker 1: I think here's the thing. It feels like this is so weird, but like she has nothing to lose, so this is all her honest account and therefore it's just like taking it at face value. Like I don't know what it was. But there was a couple moments where like I was listening to this and I was just so fearing me too, because I just feel like, had the public because I understand the public is complicent in a lot of this, I really do, but had we actually had an understanding of what her reality was that she couldn't pick out what food she wanted to eat, that she had to write down when she was going to the bathroom, that she was forced to have a pain, forget about the conservatorship, that abortion she was I'm sorry, but forced to endure. My shoulders were in my ears, and I was just like, God, I just wish that it was made clear this person was suffering, like because you have to imagine that we all would have been like hey stop, But also would we have I don't know. It's like one of those hard when it's hard.
Speaker 2: When you have a journalist and I'm sorry to bring her into this, when you have a journalists like Diane Sawyer, like one of the top journalists in this country interviewing room and literally asking her what did you do to him?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like that says it all. It's like you must have done something to upset this amazing boy that America loves and we don't care if you're going to burst out into tears in the next two seconds, Like I didn't. The whole thing being in her own house, like on her couch, when she describes that couch that she still has, and like that couch was like her sanctuary. Yeah, in her house in New York. I think, or was it all right? It doesn't matter, but that felt. So that's a detail that like really drives home how invasive that specific interview was, where like Jamie spears the dad being like, you're doing this interview.
Speaker 1: No one's heard from you.
Speaker 2: You're doing this interview, and then fully is blindsided and then is humiliated.
Speaker 1: And I guess, like what makes it even worse is I think I didn't realize just how devastated and heartbroken she by that relationship. Yeah, for some reason, the reveal that they had lived together was a surprise to me. That they lived together in Orlando, so understanding just how badly she was doing it, she truly had like a heartbreak related full blown depression, like she describes not being able to get out of better eat and like, you know, every day was a struggle. And then for her, you have to think, like it's almost been a plan from the beginning on her father's part to just keep this grow as fucking weak as possible so he could control her every move, so he could control her every dollar. Otherwise, why would you make your daughter do that? Why would you want to break her? That's I guess the really tough thing is, it's just what makes a parent it's capable of wanting to break your child? Like, what makes a parent capable of that? Yeah, I don't get it.
Speaker 2: And look, we have talked about how she like gives some lineage to like his totally or whatever. But like I was at various points, I was like, no, what it really is, like, how dare you, mister Spears, you had.
Speaker 1: How dare you you had me fooled? Then you too, miss Spears? Death to all of them. It's hard not to agree.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you are like death to all of them.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing, actually, though, this is interesting because I was thinking to myself, like, so this book comes out obviously justin Timberlake is getting absolutely dragged. My thing is like.
Speaker 2: He's turned his comments off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't even know if he's like I don't think he's ever trying again, guys, I mean like I think he's a rap And I was thinking to myself, like how much forgiveness is he do? And I think the answer is he is due forgiveness, because I mean, that's what she says. But the fact is, like she also has to tell her story. I think it's really important that we hear this. And I think it's one of those things where it's like even if in the years past and I don't know this, and I don't I don't ever really hear anything about justin any way, like even if in the years past he's totally changed, Like this story has to get fucking told one thousand persons, like and it's rough to see because of course the internet like reads something and then it's just like a full on like I can't even imagine what's going on in the minds of like people that are in this book, Like right, imagine being Christina Aguilera and you're barely mentioned the two lines about her in this star. I could tell she was pretty messed up.
Speaker 2: Oh no, but I messed up asn't like she was drunk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like I mean, just like there was me and a girl in Christina Aguilera. Christina Aguilera did some weird shit with Justin on the cover of a magazine. I thought that was weird. Christina Aguilera seems very comfortable on television and one time my stow Christina Aguilera at a party and she was messed up. That's so interesting. I thought that the mentions of Christina were like, okay, like we've acknowledged that, like she was in the circle or whatever, not in the circle, but she was like had made appearances or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the years, I thought it was fine.
Speaker 1: I thought it was you know what. I just thought it was funny that she was like glazed over. I'm sure she doesn't care. I'm sure she's thankful. Yeah, yes, but Justin has to be feeling some type of way. And it's like, yeah, but I mean, but there's for years your karma was it was such a bent thing, like he was flying high for such a long time, and the fact is he caused a lot of harm and she needs to be able to tell her story because of what was taken from her one.
Speaker 2: I mean, my blood went cold when when she describes kissing him for the first time and they were young and a Janet Jacksonson was playing in the background.
Speaker 1: You missed that part. I guess I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like when they were in the Nickmause club.
Speaker 1: And whoa, he was her first kiss and a Janet Jacksonson was playing like that is out of a fucking movie. Twilight's on tower, Twilight's on Tower of Terror and the second we're gonna drop that gives me the hegb's pressure. And then yeah, you bring up the Janet thing too, and it's just like, you know what, take a break, dude, like you've gotten away with murder.
Speaker 2: I think you don't think he's gonna try again. I think, like, isn't the whole en Sync thing still happening? Like they're gonna like care, does anyone care? Do no one cares?
Speaker 1: I think no one cares.
Speaker 2: They can't even go on hot ones and like make any noise. You know what I'm saying, Babe. I watch every hot ones. I did not watch hot hot ones. I've watched the Cardi b one probably six times.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good one. I have not watched the Instinct hot ones, and I won't be I don't want to watch them try hot wings. Here's the thing. When InSync goes on hot ones, it becomes these dudes trying hot wings. When Cardi B goes on hot ones, it becomes Cardi B on hot ones.
Speaker 2: Well it's just there's something so not watching them eat dissonant and scary about like this new thing hot ones trying to bend itself to Like I guess give a tiny two second platform to these five guys who, like we were all obsessed with back in the day, sure, but like who were literally a flash in the pan, like as soon.
Speaker 1: As it was done, it was done, done done. But boo, it's like what we say, like after every ten to fifteen years, like rotate out, no more fame, just like get new famous people after ten fifteen years, because guess what, you become fucking dated and you become not helpful. And I almost don't want to say this. Before we got on the mic, Bowen and I got information and I'm not saying anyone's names, and I would never do this, but we got information that a certain actor is gay, and I'm just like, have we learned nothing? Can I say this? I'm just what I think everyone in Hollywood is gay except bad Affleck. Ben Affleck is the only straight man in Hollywood. The rest of you, including us are gay, and I feel like the fact that you don't say it is weak shit. Just say it, and it's not even just say it like everyone has to come out with their sexuality. It's not like that. It's just like people that are actively playing in our face with these sham marriages. You are a problem. Don't say anything at all or be real, but don't play in our face. Don't come out with a fake relationship. And also, you know what, you guys know who I'm talking about, Like I'll never say it, but intrinsically, even if it's not the person I'm thinking of, you know who I'm.
Speaker 2: You know, and it might not even be the peron. Yeah, it might not even be the person that you are actually talking.
Speaker 1: Whoever it is to you, you know who I'm talking about. And you're right, and you're right, and they are playing in your face. You're all gay except Ben Affleck. Ben Affleck, I think that you definitely are straight, dude. I think you are nailing Jennifer Lopez. I actually applaud you guys for how straight you are.
Speaker 2: No, that's yeah, they are one thousand percent.
Speaker 1: They are so straight. I'm like, they are so straight. Him powering up on his duncan going home to his absolutely stunning wife and she says, Babe, fuck me again like you did this morning. He says, yes, Jennifer Lopez, I will and they never have a problem.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful. I celebrate every part of that. That is something that I cannot turn my nose at that.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean? And the rest of them are getting it into, but they're getting it in with each other. Yes, and they're queers and it will be fine. And it almost feels like we came out and we did it, and we have to have this thing of like, oh, they're gay actors. I meanwhile, they're all gay. They're just liars and we're not. They just never had to play assistance exactly. That's it. They have to live with some amount of torture. Though I would never want to be them. I would never want to be And this is the thing, is like I'm not even angry at them. I'm frustrated with them, and I'm frustrated with the system because I think they are unhappy for no fucking reasons. Exactly, for no fucking reason I have. Can I be honesty zone? Honesty zone?
Speaker 2: Sure, of course, no one should come out of the closet until it's safe and they feel empowered to do so. And maybe I say this to someone who was kind of dragged out of the closet, But I'm like, we can promise you with almost full certainty that like you'll just be happier, yet one hundred percent, you know, I'm not willing to go so far as to generalize for everybody, but like, that's just how I feel about the whole thing in journal. It doesn't matter if you're an alist star, as long as with the second you feel safe and that your fears are actually you realize that your fears about it are irrational.
Speaker 1: Just do it. I think that they think that they maybe they're the kind of person that thinks this actually is what's going to make me happy, and maybe it does, you know what I mean. Maybe it's fine for them to be like playing off a certain image to the world so they can succeed, or like certain like images of what is successful and masculine can be upheld. I get that, and I want to be like, they'll be so much happier. No, maybe they are the kind of person that this actually fulfills them, And I don't really want to know those people, and I don't really want to like be one of those people, but it could just be that this works for them, and that makes me feel crazy. That's why when we had our ninety second Street why, I was like, it's so weird to be in an industry and want to succeed in an industry have so much, so many problems.
Speaker 2: With you know, what, are you trying to uphold masculinity? There is no real version of that. The version of masculinity in the weird like the index of masculinity and the year twenty twenty three is like Joe Rogan, It's like, it's never going to be like an A List actor right anymore?
Speaker 1: Dirrec exactly. I feel like the bubbles burst on that, right. So when you are in full makeup and we're to believe that you're actually married to Xyz actress, it's like, dude, it's just kind of pathetic. And again I understand. I get it because like a lot of these people are like I mean, even in our generation, I feel like those people that still like struggle with this, and I feel like I'm coming down hard on me and I'm trying to like for communic effect to be like Lol. Fuck these guys like I get it. I'm just saying we get it. It's frustrating to see that image projected out into America and the world because it's just like that's not healthy. Like no one thinks it's healthy. No, No one's like, God, keep it up. Yeah, and this is gonna actually connect my thoughts to the Bravo thing that came out. I just hate like when we pretend this industry is not what it is, you know what I mean, Like, it's not honest, it's not something where images aren't distorted.
Speaker 2: It's I just feel like your image gets distorted in any medium. There is a refractive index to any single means of transmission period. You get distorted on Instagram, yes, like on your own social media. It's like there's something exploitative about any broadcasting channel.
Speaker 1: And so I was reading this article, and for those of you who may not know, I was reading this article in Vanity Fair, which we had been told was coming. Like for full disclosure, I have not read it yet. Yeah, I read it, Okay, So basically like it's Bethany Frankel's Big Swing at Bravo, and it's basically broken into three parts. One is Bethany, one is Leah, and one is Ebany K. Williams, And I actually think the article has a lot of interesting things to say, and to hear the perspective of Ebony K. Williams, I think is important.
Speaker 2: I've read the big takeaways about Ebane's whole journey with Bravo and it's really upsetting, right.
Speaker 1: And so basically I think that there should have been a completely separate article which was this story, because there's something to say here. And I think that by the way, Ebony K. Williams in this article is quoted as saying, fuck Bethany Frankel, like she I think is probably going to be disappointed, or maybe not disappointed, maybe she's just used to this shit, but it will be disappointing for me if I were Ebony and I had told my story and what I experienced and trying to deal with Ramona, and I was in the Vanity Fair piece and it was the fucking Bethany Frankel Housewives play book Inside Baseball engineered puff piece for her, which by the way, is written by an admitted fan of the franchise. And I'm going to assume it's New York because only New York How's Wives went on record for this, but basically, it's like Ebanie has real things to say about the way that the situation with Ramona's racism went down, about the way it was communicated, about the fact that Ramona still has a job on Ultimate Girl's Trip, and I think that there's a lot in that story which is important and should be heard. And it includes a black female producer saying that she experienced Ramona using the N word, not at her, but around her, and it's very frustrating the fact that Ramona is still working there for these people like that there's something really important there, and I think it diminishes that story to have it couched with these accounts by Bethany and Leah Bethany which seems very baldly personal against Andy Cohen. I feel that she for some reason has like a personal vendetta against him, and like it really feels that way, and it reeks of that because there's nothing really to be said about her experience outside of her saying that it's her penance to do this now, which feels convenient. And then Leah, who I like personally. I've talked to Leah before, but she just seems like someone who should not have been on reality television and was not well suited to that medium. She admittedly relapsed right before she started filming and told the producers that it was fine that she was drinking and that when alcohol was around, she participated in it. And she basically had that a continued relapse on television, and then when it finally ended, what she's saying is like the viewers and the producers felt she was more boring and they didn't have as much use for her. Meanwhile, it's like, we see these housewives go on sober journeys all the time on these shows. I really started reading it with the intent to keep checking myself. I was like, I know, I'm a fan of the show. I'm gonna try to go in with an open mind to see if there's anything these women have to really say. I'm sorry, but where is the misconduct in Bethany and Lea's stories. I'm not seeing it. Well, what was like the the union angle on the piece? To be honest with you, it's kind of unclear. It's like, and that's what I mean when I say it feels like it's more personal because it's like there's not really in the article this like spelling out of ways in which they want things to change. There's there's no like collective action there, because I mean, obviously you and I are pro union. But anytime I've read things about what Bethany's trying to accomplish, I go, I'm not connecting to like what about like collective power and bargaining like play into this whole Bravo world. I have never bought about Bethany Frankel that her next act is like Champion of the People. I've just never bought that about her, Like, I don't. I think maybe that's what she thinks will work for her, or what she thinks that we want to see from her. But like, I've just never bought that there was anything in the stuff that she does that wasn't personally motivated. I just don't. I think that she's a stunt queen. I think she wanted this out before Bravo Khan and before all these premieres this week because Bravos having like a big week right now, and I think that like there's a lot of eyes on reality because script it has to come to a standstill, and she knows she can get a lot of attention for this, but she's not really saying anything because they try to frame like, for example, when they go on vacation and the house is stocked with alcohol, they try to frame that like the producers and Andy Cohen are somehow applying these women with alcohol. I'm sorry, but like that's what a vacation is. You go to the house and there's alcohol there. You then make your decisions about how you behave and what you can handle. If you cannot be in control of those decisions, not only should you in that environment, but you certainly shouldn't be televised in that environment. These women need better lawyers and better people around them to help them make decisions if they are not equipped to be in these circumstances.
Speaker 2: What was there anything in the article about how like there was pressure from producers.
Speaker 1: To get them to drink. There's these vague allusions to like Leah talks about how Andy I suppose asked did you have a relapse on camera and she said no, I relapsed shortly before. And then she claims that he looked disappointed, And I'm thinking, Okay, the assumption here is that he looked disappointed because you didn't relapse on camera. Is it possible he's disappointed that you really at all. It's just these like very vague, open ended assertions in the article and no real statement of misconduct outside of the ebony stuff, which I think sucks because the ebony stuff holds something. There's something there, yeah, yeah, whereas like there's they're there with the Bethany thing. The way this is being gone about.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry I'm using the passive voice here, but like Bethany's involvement and this is complicated because it can only be perceived as personal against Dandy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's true.
Speaker 2: I don't know, and there's nothing wrong with that in terms of like a union effort. But it's just like I, as a reader of this piece in the future, will I'll have to like parse that out and separate that from this narrative that's already been like worked into the medium that is reality television, which is platformed on Bravo, which is like that's the delivery system, and it's so it's like, well, how do we fix that system while also trying to make this better for it?
Speaker 1: Like let's get so tangled up. And I think the reason that that's also true is because it's also become part of this other macro thing in our culture, which is capital T, capital P, the takedown piece, you know what I mean. It's like I know if this was gonna come out, and I, like I said, I started reading this being like, let's see, is there something harmful about this? Because if there is, we should know. And what I'm seeing when I read the piece is yeah, alcoholism is really rough. It is tough. It is a disease. It's tough. But I almost feel like, where is the piece about the NFL and the fact that how that is like alcohol culture and like you know, if you macro zoom out and you look at that, like you could take it apart. Where is the piece about like any part of this business that like is actually fucked up.
Speaker 2: We're not discussing this in terms of like, oh, like these shouldn't exist, like they should have done a better job, Like they didn't do what they sit out to do. We're just saying that, like it diminishes this impact overall, and it makes it hard for us as an audience, as a readership to like have an expectation for like what should happen next?
Speaker 1: Right, because the way that Bethany is like posed on the cover of Vanity Fail, this science can be saying nothing. I'm like, this actually takes the wind out of other pieces, sales and other journalists who actually have things to say about people who are actually in trouble in places in this business. And when the journalism is this soft and this shitty, it makes it harder for people who really need voices heard to be heard. Because if I'm to read this piece, then like there's a lot going on in in the ebony aspect, and like there's just not enough. And I really I think it's frustrating because it's like it to me reeks, like it's so playbook to have just come out before BRAVOCN and like it's just I just don't at all.
Speaker 2: It's like these deadlines are probably they're not helping, you know what I mean. It's like they needed this to go out before bravocon, which meant that like it was maybe under reported, under researched or something, yeah, or like under evaluated on an editorial level where they go, what are we trying to say here?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah, because it did seem confused to me at the end. It also felt confusing to me for them to admittedly say the writer of the piece was a fan of the show. So that's that's a huge red flash, right right, Like it just feels like that doesn't feel objective to me, and it shouldn't that be the point.
Speaker 2: I feel like Bradley Jackson an episode one of The Morning Show exactly, or I feel like Alex Levy to be honest, like, well, why are you the story?
Speaker 1: Let's talk t s TV one nine eight nine, Okay, let's do it. You scared?
Speaker 2: I'm not scared. I actually think there's a pretty general consensus about ts TV, which is which is there's some confusion about the vault tracks. One To me personally, I've only given them one listen yeah wow, and everything except slut.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this was written for midnights? Do you think so? I think that you could be right about that. I think that if it was written back then, I think it's certainly produced in a very midnight sy way. I'm sure sure then I will grant that. I think I'm in the majority here when I say and also, I don't want to hear it because every single time she releases an album, I praise up and down, like, yes, I think I've been I've always aired on the side. It is extremely enthusiastic about everything she's been releasing.
Speaker 2: When do you get to talk about Speaking Now TV? I think that is hugely underrated.
Speaker 1: Great. The Vault tracks are spectacular and they feel like Speak Now valltracks? Do they feel like Speak Now Vault tracks? Undeniably.
Speaker 2: I think her vocal choices on the re Records are very interesting, and I like that she's leaning into how she's aged, you know, as a vocalist, aged as in like texturized herself vocully in the year since were you about to say something about, Well, what I.
Speaker 1: Think is that some of these Vault tracks are really really good. Yes, I love it over yet I actually think for me, I think the standout is now that we Don't Talk. I love now that we don't talk. It slut is good. I mean, say Don't Go is a lot of fun. It's very Diane Warren. I love hearing that on Taylor like I feel like arranged differently, it could be a really fun song sung by a different vocalist, too, fun song the re Records mm hmmm. And it brings us no pleasure to say that it feels that didn't it feels like she chopped it up. I don't think she gave a shit or I just don't think she likes this producer that did a lot of it. I know. I think the Jack tracks fare a lot better. The Jack tracks sound great. Out of the Wood sounds great. Yeah, I think she does some interesting things on Out of the Woods for sure. I wish you would. I like to wish you would a lot. I like I wish you it a lot. And like if you were to look at the tweets about the Style rerecord, you would think they were hyperbolic. Whoa, I think this is like hyperbolically harsh. They are not. I think I think the Style rerecord is that bad. She sounds like she's not even thinking about the words when she sings it. And all I have had to say about her recently as a vocalist is how great I think she is. That is, without question, she's so amazing in concert. Just something didn't happen on the nineteen eighty nine Vault tracks like Whoo, the wild tracks of the records, No, the re records, I mean sorry, blank space again, there's none of the personality in it. Maybe she was just really in this specific bag when she was recording the nineteen eighty nine originally, but she sounded like she had other things on her mind. Yeah, on this on these new rerecorded versions, largely it's usually the track that this guy, Christopher Rowe produced. I don't think they did great work together on this.
Speaker 2: It's funny because on I think This Love and Wiless Dreams, if we're the ones that she released like way in advance, like years ago, she really is Wildless Dreams TV in This Love. I was like, these sound very promising. I mean while this Dream slaps compared to the other ones.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Like I wonder what the timeline was for the re records and all this stuff. There is something that's not There's no connective tissue here in terms of like where she was at whatever that means. Yeah, Like as she was doing this like I would speak now with Red with Fearless, like it's like there is this nice cohesion there throughout each album, going into the VALLT tracks especially, and I feel like there's such a distinct break after after New Romantics. You're just like this is a different thing sonically, which is fine. Problem of course, these are like cutting room floor tracks. Yeah, but I can't help it be like this was written in twenty ye twenty one for Midnight.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean? Yes, I totally get what you mean, whether or not that's true. Certainly, it felt like they didn't care as much about making it feel like nineteen eighty nine as much as they did on Certainly Fearless, Uh huh, definitely Red. Definitely read and Speak Now. That's what I really enjoyed about all those vaultracks because I was like, Wow, this feels like she's making a song like I can see you Like. I don't know if I listen to it every single day for the rest of my life, but it feels like I speak now track.
Speaker 2: When mfol is in love. Yes, definitely speak down track, and it's so lovely. I mean, there's nothing bad about these Vault tracks on nineteen eighty nine. It's just I, for some reason, I'm not sold on them being originally written for this album. That's my conspiracy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel like I do agree with you. I feel like I'm less hard on that because to me, what I'm like struggling are the re records, and because ostensibly, if they's supposed to be the versions that we're supposed to listen to now instead of the old ones. I don't want to listen to this new version of style. I want the old version of style. I want the old like space, And I feel like most people are going to listen to both and be like, you guys are fucking crazy. They sound the same.
Speaker 2: But there's something I'm sure I'm sure people. I'm sure a decent amount of people will actually agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yeh, she just sounds she doesn't sound in it on these rerecords, and I'm fucking obsessed with I saw the show four times. I've seen the movie twice. You let a movie this weekend. I saw the movie on Halloween instead of doing Halloween. Like That's that's who I am and where I'm at, Like, I don't want to come on here and be like the nineteen eighty nine re record didn't give.
Speaker 2: If you heard the rumor what that Ari's working with Max on her on Agy.
Speaker 1: Seven, babe? Is that a rumor? Or? Are you spelling tea? I'm not spelling tea. I'm just reading what pop Crave is being. So you so you're telling me that you went on pop Crave. You Boning went on pop Crave and thought there was a report from pop Grave and you didn't text your girl. I am not gonna bother her with trifling things such as this triveling things.
Speaker 2: It's not trifling things. I'm just like, I respect what she has with the way she engages with her music and her songwriting process, and I'm like, I'm not gonna be like a stand and be like so like, yeah, when's this coming? Like I like that is she She is in such an exploratory phase right now where I don't need to be like, oh, that's exciting, do you know what I mean. I'm like, I'm not gonna like bother you about this, Like whatever you like, You're gonna go splunking into the cave, and then whatever you come out with, we will pop carnage, we will gag, do you know what i mean? Like, this is a very exciting thing for me personally. I'm just like, whatever this girl is gonna is about to give with Max Martin, I'm like, it will be fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean, even just hearing Brittany you talk about Max Martin and you realize how long this has been the dep of the doll.
Speaker 2: What else does a cultural topic. Well, Wicked twenty to all, everybody's been in Alphabe and Glenda, haven't they? But you know what, it is one of those things where you think, like Wicked really gagged the girls literally because it was like everyone before the show is like, there's no reason why a Broadway show with two female leads should go up. Wow, isn't that insane? And before like that wasn't a thing.
Speaker 1: M crazy? Yeah, I mean it like it really has launched so many careers. Oh absolutely, I mean I'm gonna go back on my thing about the DeLorean. I would love to DeLorean go back in time and see Adina and Kristen. And now you know what I would not do. I would not yell at that teacher thank you, because I wouldn't want to. She's my lot, just because she was giving you some adversity. I think you grew from the adversity. I think I grew, grew and grew. Wait what you forgot? Something rest than piece? Matthew Perry. This was awful. This was awful. And this is that also had me thinking about like alcoholism and how difficult it is, because it seemed like he really fucking struggled and they haven't announced, you know, the cause of death or anything, but I just know how difficult he had it, and my heart just goes out so funny.
Speaker 2: I ran into someone on the train and I was listening to the Brittany audio book Finally Enough, and he was like, are you listening to it? I was like yeah, and he goes no, like I've been on a celebrity memoir kick. This was on like Tuesday, so it was like essentially hours before, not hours before, like days, but like still, it was so such a strange thing. He's like the Matthew Perry book.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh really.
Speaker 2: He was like I knew he was struggling, but like, I guess I haven't like looked into like how intense that was. He was like, no, it's like he talks about how like season three of Your Friends he was on like twenty vik it in a day, Like it was really hard for him and it's so tragic and and look shout out to Mindy Tucker, who today on Instagram went on a really well informed thing about how like let's just really be careful going into the water at all alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at any age.
Speaker 2: But especially as you're older. But like especially in hot tubs. Hot tubs are actually high key kind of dangerous, especially if you're alone, especially if you have a heart prop that you don't know about. Just if you're alone, it's just like it's not the safest place to be in correct. So that's that's really important that I feel like we often think that we we take for granted, I think are like vulnerability and humanity. Sometimes it's like, you know, we're human beings. We get into situations where our bodies get overwhelmed sometimes like we can't handle certain things.
Speaker 1: Like it just it is a reminder to be even more careful. That is so useful and true, And unfortunately, I wish it didn't have to take tragedies like this for us to tell each other to like take care of ourselves. And you know, obviously I feel badly even jumping into the narrative that like there must have been something that went wrong, but he was so public about his struggles with alcoholism that like, unfortunately, like the mention of his death at an early age just bring up questions about this and it is really fucking hard. And what I thought was at least a comfort in the last day or so, was there was a quote that was resurfacing that he said, which was, I might be a lot of things, but I am absolutely, one hundred percent a person who helps someone when they say they're struggling with what I'm struggling with. Like, even if I can't help myself, which I often can't, I am the person who every single time someone reaches out to me and they have a problem or they have something I'm going through related to alcohol or drugs, I point them in the right direction. So that is something I can say about myself. And I'm sure I'll be best known for Friends and this television show and this character that I played, but it would be nice if people could also remember that too. And he said something like, I know that won't happen, but that would be my wish. So I saw a bunch of people sharing that I shared that, and you know, he obviously was an incredibly talented and charismatic actor and a part of TV history, but he was also like a human being who struggled, and the fact that he wanted that to be true, I think is something that we can all help him accomplish.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I just can't believe we've hit the point where, like someone on the Friends cast has pass.
Speaker 1: Isn't that fucking crazy? Obviously, like they only played that close to friends on TV, But I did think of them. I thought, like, I wonder how they're all, you know, feeling and it's just so difficult then obviously triggering when anyone is publicly struggling with something that I think we all know someone who has been, especially as we get older, you know what I mean, Like, I think that we're all realizing, like.
Speaker 2: Well, just how it is you and I are hearting an age now where it's like, oh, this is when people that we know who are around our age start to realize stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, isn't that interesting. It's that actually, you know what. I even had therapy today and I talked about it today, like I not necessarily in the context of anyone, but it's just in the context of myself. I was like, I was thinking, like, you know, I was in the shower earlier, and I think I was thinking about maths, you know, some other people in my life, and I was thinking it would be hard for me to just stop drinking. And I don't even have that thing within me that begs me to drink again. Like I'm just saying socially, like in terms of how we live our lives. It would be hard for me to say I'm not drinking anymore, and I'm not. I'm not even someone who's sick. So I can't even imagine.
Speaker 2: That's why I like, I never it never surprises me or it never like shocks me when people like take a long time to understand that they have a problem with it, right, because alcohol specifically is so baked into everything in the culture. Everywhere you look, it's there, it's mentioned, people talk about it. Caunsula. It's like Sarah Sherman was saying this at work. It's like alcohol is capitalism. It's like it is just it is the big market, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like thinking about like the ad dollars, like any like ad offers you get for alcohol, Like that is the highest paying market period. Yeah, Like alcohol ad money is the richest ad money out there. Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 2: It's like it's that for a reason. It's like there is a deep investment in making sure this thing gets distributed and that people consume it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a lot. And I guess that's why the Housewives thing with the alcohol it bothered me even more because I was like, we're pretending like this isn't a part a symptom of culture. Like that's why I run up the football things because I'm like, this basically is a game that lives and dies on like this masculine thing. And like the alcohol, the selling of alcohol, the drinking of alcohol, the consumption of alcohol. I know from growing up in a culture that was football driven, that like it goes hand and hand. And it is really sad, as you said, to see people come up in environments where it's just a given and then discover they have real issues later. But they didn't really stand a chance because, as you said, it's baked in, especially when you're talking about capitalism, especially when you're talking about like eventized culture.
Speaker 2: But you know what I mean, Like it's if it's an event, it's assumed that it's there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I'm planning a party on Thursday, and what's been one of the number one things, how much alcohol do we need? In fact, it was the first thing.
Speaker 2: Girl, are you making a non alcoholic cocktail?
Speaker 1: Baby? You better I'm doing one for my housewarming. That's good that you won't be out. I'm very sad now I am sad I'm gonna be missing that. I would really want to come to that. It's that's so shitty, Like I should be here for your housewarming, but I literally can't be well.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm not failing you as a friend because I'm not present for your album release.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I mean, like, here we are, we're celebrating each other. We don't need it to be Christmas at all. Hint at one of my songs anyway, not to be bleak on this episode, with all these topics we've talked about, like, I feel like we couldn't even get it up for nineteen eighty nine tailors or wait, hold on, let me look at my notes. Was anything good? I liked the Beverly Hills premiere, Yeah, it was fun. I like that Drey is activated, Derey is activated, Erica is learning about empathy. Yeah. When she was being explained empathy and she was like under her breath, how they feel, how they feel, I was like, this is it's actually I don't find that endearing at all. Erica is like, you're not pro Erica. I've never really been. Pat Reagan and I have both worn it as bad as of honor. Yes, You're right, he was never. You would never. I was never pro Erica. I used to love Erica, and I feel like I get it.
Speaker 2: She's like a shiny bobble of the thing, but like a rotten person to her core. And what lights me up now watching Beverly Hills is and I never thought I would say this in a million years.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm about to say, Sutton. I'm like, get Sutton back on the television. You have said this before, like you are a slut.
Speaker 2: I'm a sluttin now I'm a full sluton like she is. Look, she has the capacity to grow more than anyone else on the show, like a.
Speaker 1: Huge part of it.
Speaker 2: She's a huge part of it. She's so compelling. She is always funny, always interesting, can go from being light to also being very heavy when she wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she is very good at this. Yeah, she's a good housewife. And I will say the Garcelle stuff. This week I was upset for her because I actually think it's tough because the Erica thing with Jack's when she was mean to him on television and asking him at the party, I think that may have affected him more than we realized. Fucking sucks that was not good. But I thought the way he was talking to his mother, I was really upset for her because he was like, I needed a mom two years ago and you weren't there and now I'm fine, so whatever, And then she for her to say to camera that she felt like she'd failed as a mom. I was like, I just thought about talking to my own mom like that, And I was like, you're gonna really regret saying that to your mom on television because I don't know if he says that to his father. And also, let's be real, like she didn't ask to be a single mom. No, I'm sorry, but you're sitting on the beach in Malibu in your Like, I just didn't like the way you talked to his mom, who's really hard.
Speaker 2: To give him a life where he can sit on the beach of Mailivis.
Speaker 1: I think he's gonna have regrets about the way he talked to her on television because I think that she didn't deserve to have her feelings hurt like that. I understand like.
Speaker 2: That that was a traumatic moment that he had. That moment televised YEA when Erica was being horrible, But yeah, yeah, it's it's not Garcel's fault.
Speaker 1: That just made me feel bad because A I don't think it's true that she's been anywhere near a failiurism mom. I think she works hard and loves her kids a lot and has an opportunity now, like to really hit the pavement and like make a lot of money for them and like really support them and herself, and she should have that opportunity and be I just think he's gonna regret it. I would not want to be on television. Yeah, as a fourteen year old saying that to my mother. It actually it really shook me, and I just I don't know. And how real do you think this Kyle Richard stuff is.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to make of it. I am like so done with Kyle being the de facto protagonist of this show. I'm like, am I supposed to get? You know, I'm supposed to care?
Speaker 1: But do why? I can't put my finger on it. Something about it is not landing with me. I think that they probably are having a transition in their marriage. I get that, but there's something about the tattoos and the being hanging out with Morgan Wade. There's something about it there's something about it which doesn't pass the smell test to me.
Speaker 2: Well, like so many things about Kyle in recent seasons have been like wait what like wait, what is this about? Like the whole the whole Kathy thing. Like I'm just like we lack context. There's something off, something's off. But something has been off with her. I can't tell when she's acting. Something's not authentic.
Speaker 1: About it period. Yeah, and I guess we'll see Potomac soon. Oh.
Speaker 2: I have also lol Erica being like, I'm on hormones. It's it's hormones. My hormones are amazing. It's not ozempic. Ozempic is a hormone. Essentially, that's her way around it. I mean, look, no judgment, no judgment there, but it's like just say it, yeah, no judgment. But again, like it's like the thing with these actors being like I'm married to this woman. What are you trying to protect?
Speaker 1: What are you? Who's who? Like okay whatever, And if it is just hormones, like slag go on, it's just that like it's convenient that it happens concurrently with the very publicized rise of Rose Epic. If the Potomac taglines were RuPaul's drag race challenge. Who is the top of the week and who's in the bottom two? I mean we both know Canvas is the winner, Candas is the winner, and the bottom is I'm gonna say, Robin Dixon, Robin Dixon, you are in the bottom. The seven are doing bottom two hundred percent. That bitch and she did the whole DNA test and it turns out don't care. But the way she goes, the way she says care is so shocking. I one percent don't care, but she goes down a full optave. She's definitely bottom two.
Speaker 2: She fucking so he has always actually know has not always.
Speaker 1: This is the thing that we were talking about.
Speaker 2: I used to love these women, and it's so sad how now I don't.
Speaker 1: Every season I go in trying, but Robin has set a low bar, and I will say, girl, if you really don't care, why are you crying on the street, Wait.
Speaker 2: Crying on the street. Why are you hiding shit from the show?
Speaker 1: Why are you crying on the street on the side of the road. If you don't care, you care, It's okay. It's okay to care, be activated, be upset that your husband keeps cheating on you.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, like, Wow, it's like we need to shake her into like being.
Speaker 1: Wake up Robin and then who else is bottom? Two? What did Ashley say? I don't even remember, Mia. Oh, I might live in a small house, but it's small. That's something like that.
Speaker 2: I'm starting not and I'm not saying that, like the square footage of your house determines anything about you. But for me a Thornton, to say that and use that as our tagline is that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we so look forward to it. We're gonna watch my right after this. I'm gonna eat more water soon. But speaking of water and re energizing, let's re energize our audience because I know they're thirsty little piglets for I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is I don't think so honey. This is where we take one minute to rail against something in culture. Matt, do you have a topic?
Speaker 1: I do have a topic.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is Matt Rogers. I don't think so, honey. As time starts now.
Speaker 1: I don't think so honey. Anyone's saying the wrestling singlet is played as a Halloween costume. Hi, boys, I say keep going. You got good, You got those thunder thighs. You can fill it out. You push the dick to the side, push to the side. I keep rocking those wrestling singlets. Girls. That is a costume? Yes? Is it like Madonna and iight on Rupel's drag race with some of you? Yes? I keep seeing too many singlets. But it's fine because guess what they work. You boys look good. It doesn't matter. You just al seem to be really pulling it off, and someday soon, you know, maybe it's not gonna look like that. I know the power of walking around in the wrestling singlet at your best. I wore one in the film Fire Island, and I'm so happy that it's on camera. So so you would want on camera too, So you know, when's a really good opportunity to get photographed and videoed on Halloween, honey. And it's an excuse because you can't just go out walking everywhere. We're in a wrestling singlet. So I support you boys and ladies and all my nb's out there who want to wear a wrestling singlet. You look amazing, and that's one minute. You're so right.
Speaker 2: Let the girls wear the singlet.
Speaker 1: I say, and it's just so tired, because really, what you're saying when you see a wrestling single and you're like, h her real original is you're like you you're scared to admit how horny you are a wrestling singlet? Does it every time? Does it every time?
Speaker 2: This is not my I don't think somebody is Halloween related as well, but it's not this but like low effort, Halloween is actually okay, it's the only way to go. It's actually like the smarter way to go. And we're afraid to say it. But if you're putting in a lot of f and well, actually this is this is about to be mad. I don't think somebody said, put me in the clock.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Okay, so we're going all right to the clock. But when's transitioning right into his? I don't think so, honey, this is his. I don't think so, honey. As time starts now, I don't think so, honey.
Speaker 2: If you are hiring prostheticians to put shit on you for your Halloween costume, girl, that is peacocking a little too much. Don't you think the only person who is maybe allowed to do that as Mattie Majakamo for his peloton walk classes because he looks. He goes all in and he looks amazing and he commits to the damn look. But if you're out there going to Horseman Disco and you're you have little prosthetic things like your fucking gaga during the Born in This Way era, honey stop, it's a waste of time, a waste of money. You cannot possibly be sumfortable with all that shit on you. You can put liquid latex on your face, if you want to look like you're mangled. Fine, you can go all out with the horror makeup. Yes, please go off, my queen. But if you are hiring people, I've seen some of you girls with your little time lap studios of hiring makeup artists to put shit on you for the damn night, and it's like, I don't think this is worthwhile.
Speaker 1: It's Halloween. Just take it easy.
Speaker 2: We cannot be like wealth brandish sha about this way.
Speaker 1: And that's one minute. You don't think there's something to be said about them helping the economy, girl, because makeup boards are making a coin on every Halloween. If your Heidi clume, if your thing is I go all fun but don't go to horse go with it. I'm saying, don't go to a fucking party with that shit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'm like, you, guys, maybe I'm speaking from a privileged place because like.
Speaker 1: Oh, I played dross up every weekend. Yeah, you get this opportunity all the time to look like a crazy creature. But I on a costume.
Speaker 2: I just think this is another area in which we get to like, mmm, kind of like flex a little bit. And there's that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. I just am like, it can be a lot. It's the trip wire is low, you know.
Speaker 1: I just worry. And here's the thing, Like for me, it's no big deal. If anyone else wants to go all the way off, please, I just it's so uncomfortable. Even if I put a wig on. Oh my god, I'm absolutely dying dying under this wig. Forget about makeup and all the things. And sometimes these like cumbersome costumes. Girl, I just feel like crazy crazy. But people can do whatever they want to do. But you're taking a stand. You're saying no, I'm saying I don't think so, honey, which is oh yeah, we all know, is not you know, to be taken not to be sick and serious. Oh my god, girl girl, we.
Speaker 2: Went heavy this episode. We talked about Brittany, we talked about the Housewives, thing, talked about Matthew, and we talked about nineteen eighty ninet TV.
Speaker 1: This was the takedown episode.
Speaker 2: We weren't taking things down and we were taking down her family.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What should we call this episode? Hmmm?
Speaker 2: Interesting, vicious jerending, vicious jerending.
Speaker 1: Vicious jarending. Do you think that says? Click me? I think so? That's it.
Speaker 2: I want to be What are these boys talking about?
Speaker 1: You don't think so? You want to coll something better? Was something juicy? Okay? Hmmm? The Britney episode, the Brittany Episode two, The Britney Episode two Brittany and Moore Perfect, The Britney Episode two Brittany and More perfect to me? Wow, we did.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us. As always, Readers, keyse public Is finalists, be sure to stream. Have you heard of Christmas This?
Speaker 1: Wow? It's coming out. I cannot wait for my sister. This is a ten out of ten no Skips album. I'm so proud of you. Two Kinds of mea Quina. We end a three episode with a song them might be a little wayne because I've leave been saying in chances you don't know what I do say in my life. If you get oh, I guess I lost the words. It's fine. All I know is action. Wait, you know what I wanted to say before we end. She was an unbelievable recording artist. If you listen to your songs, what she does on me against the music, there's a vocal which is like rab take it down, Like with the sounds she was making vocal fruh, She's like fuck, I don't care the sounds she was making to like create her lead vocal. Brittany was an amazing singer.
Speaker 2: She was an incredible singer. And in the Zone is it's for me. It's always been a time between in the Zone and Blackout.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean she really loves Blackout and.
Speaker 2: She really lives in the Zone, and she really loves Glory.
Speaker 1: I love the Glory.
Speaker 2: Glory is an amazing I need to listen to Glory all the way through.
Speaker 1: When it starts and you listen to Invitation, just like put your earphones in and like close your eyes and lay on your back, girl, because Brady will thank you for a ride, she's inviting, she is, and then you know you also get on that album. Do you look at her? Bye Bye,