Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 2: Erness What's Up?
Speaker 1: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting business is that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on.
Speaker 2: What matters most ready.
Speaker 1: To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash Eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 3: All right, gosh, welcome back, Yeah, Eyl, this is going to be a special episode, man, friend of ours.
Speaker 2: David long overdue man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Before we even man, I want to tell you you guys how inspired I am by you all and how proud I am of you all and your business acumen, not just as thought leaders, but just as black people in the financial space. Man, I'm so proud of you all to be able to mobilize people the way that you all did, the way that you market, how you all put it.
Speaker 4: Together, and just just being all around, just trailblazers in that space man, because that was a space that was needed to be able to see a deficit and to be able to cover that man like I'm very.
Speaker 2: Very proud of you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, appreciate that man, Thank you, that man that means a lot, received a lot. And every time we see you, it's always been good energy. So you know, definitely, the feeling is mutual. Feeling is mutual. So, David, somebody that when most people heard of you, it was through music, right, But I've seen you transition in multiple different genres. So from a producer to a rapper, to an actor, to an activist on a certain level, to an entrepreneur to a variety of different things that you do. You're you're a renaissance man of sorts. So I want to start at the beginning. Mississippi. Right at that time, to my knowledge, there wasn't a major artist that rap artists that came out of Mississippi. Is that correct now? It was?
Speaker 2: It was some major artists. There was a group called Wildlife Society. I forgot the name of the record label. The record label almost popped really big. They had trying to think of a rapper. I know, y'all know his name, but they were they were signed to you know how Penalty back when I was on Penalty, when Nori was on Penalty. It was one of those labels, one of those subsidiary labels that was really really close to popping Life Penalty did.
Speaker 5: But there was a group called Wildlife Society that was.
Speaker 2: On I keep forgetting the name of the group that Hammer had. The Hammer MC Hammer had had a group that was out of Mississippi and they had a very, very big singer. There was the female rapper out of that group. Her name was Treasure. She actually ended up going solo and she saw some success too. So it's been you know, some groups that have been out. I think with me, it was just that I came at the right time. You know, SRC was just starting after Steve Rifkin, you know, it was coming off of his loud success, and I think it was just time spirit look, you know, me being prepared and ready for the moment, and it just all came together, bro, and it was it was.
Speaker 3: History, like a like a pimp. That's the song, Yes, were you on you on a little flip? Yes, that's that's the first time I said. It was like like a pimp and you had like a very big entry into the into the bad game. Right. So my question is coming from Mississippi where there wasn't a lot of trash, let's just say that, right, And it's not like Atlanta or New York or LA. But we always hear about like the southern hustle as far as like the stories of people selling music out of their trunks, of their CD stuff of that, like CDs out out the trunk at the car. Was that something that you you did from a grassroots level?
Speaker 2: Yes, So I'm going to tell you you are something just because you are who you are to me. So what happened was that nobody ever talks about is that we as independent artists because we don't talk to each other as black men. That's something that I like about our relationship. Bro. I've called you before when there was something that I didn't understand and was like, Bro, can you tell me what this means? Bro? How do I do this? Or I'm going into the tech industry? What would you suggest that I do. We've had that conversation both in person and on the phone. Right, we don't do that as artists, Bro, Like, what's happening was if you calculate the amount of money that independent are were making, especially in Texas and then the Bay Like, they were kicking the shit. Can I say shit?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, yes, said shit.
Speaker 2: They was kicking the shit out of major labels. Bro. You got to think about like the South Park Mexicans. Bro, you gotta think broad.
Speaker 3: Thy, slim Thum and.
Speaker 2: Slim Thug little Flip. I think did eighty thousand or one hundred and twenty thousand or something like that, Bro, Think about what e forty and two short master p and all of them people. Now put all of them people together, bro, and think about the millions, and then you gotta think that's when you know we was getting ten ten dollars a record, Bro. You know what I'm saying. And so what they ended up doing, Bro, is soaking up all of the independent artists, Bro and signing in the deals in a lot of cases, this is just my opinion, with not even the hopes of them being successful to move us out of the way of their major artists.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 5: And one of the only reasons.
Speaker 2: Why I didn't fail is because I produced my own music, I marketed my own music. I had enough good people around me to tell me, like, you know, and a lot of artists thought I was crazy because you know, University was still taking out of my budget to you know, get record promoters and radio promoters and video promoters. But I still out of my own money that I made. I had my own radio promoter. I had my own video promoter because I just knew. And I went to the president of Universal one time and he told me. He was like BANNERD, like, I know you a smart guy, and you're gonna figure this out, and he really gave me the game. So the thing was, it was like, man, why are you double spending your money because I know that them folks are not gonna do me right. They're not gonna at.
Speaker 3: Least they're not gonna do me like an independent artist, even though you salt.
Speaker 2: And every record that I didn't work myself failed. So what would usually happen is that if you even I don't know if people know this, but like I came into Universal with eight hundred spins on radio while I was sleeping in my van. I was homeless. You know, I don't know if y'all knew the story about my red van. Like I built the studio in my van like RV. Yeah, no, no, no, it was just a regular work van, and I went in got a what do you call those the things that you put into the lighter, You put it into a lighter and then you plug whatever into transitions.
Speaker 1: It's like an extension called on in a sense, but it's like you're using the power from the light.
Speaker 2: So I literally if you go back and listen to Mississippi, the album that had like a Pimp on it, if you listen to the interludes, you can hear the people passing in the van. And one of the things that also made me popular is like if a DJ wanted to drop, I tell them to come to my van.
Speaker 5: You know, I could even do verses in my van. That's why I tell these.
Speaker 2: Kids, there's never no excuse. Like people in the South know this story. And I was sleeping in that van, you.
Speaker 3: Know, so you you was homeless, Yes, so how'd you link up a little flip? He was already lit at that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well what happened was is that What people don't know is that I produced the Holiday for Trick Daddy. So I never wanted to be a producer, but I come to find out a lot of people don't know that. People the person who I would never call him my stepfather, but the people who the person who people know as my father is actually not my biological father. He raised me from when I was three And come to find out that my biological father played thirteen instruments with the exception of you know, playing in the band or whatever in school.
Speaker 5: I've never been classically trained.
Speaker 2: And like Bro, I've co produced Quincy Jones before Maroon five, you know, Chris Brown, justin Bieber, like you know, I'm executive co executive producer Jill Scott's album right now. So like Bro, like I did it all man, you know. And that's one thing that I want to tell people that I'm learning about being a businessman. And if you all don't listen to nothing else I say, Man, it's like you have to have an extraordinary team. And regardless of whether you all tried to do it or not, one of the things that is very special about you all is that y'all did it as a group. Y'all did it as a family. And that's the power of America is family. And that's the reason why they want us in these boxes on these computers. That's the reason why I really think COVID happened is that we won't congregate with each other. True information is not just verbal, it's also a vibe. It's also getting together. It's sometimes it's envy. Sometimes it's competition. That's just being in the room competing with each other. Speaking to me and Little Flip Bro, people used to think that me and Little Flip was beefing because we were so competitive against each other. I remember Jim Jones was in the studio. That's one time when we was doing the song that's called it's called talk to Me Now. It's funny it's a white movie just licensed it licensed the song, and I can't wait to hear see an all white movie with a song that aggressive. Uh, if the boys won't wo talk to me now, if the boy won't wo to lay it down, motherfucker, lay it down, you bitch. And I was like to see the white boy but that record. But but, but what happened with me and Little Flip was that I was already a popping producer, like in the hood, like all over, I mean probably from Tosa, Oklahoma, the Florida and so Little Flip just told me him, being the business man that he is, he was like, Bro, you give me two beats, I give you a verse. And so I didn't even like the like of pimp beat. I'm being honest with you. It just had Pimp C. I had sample of Pimp C on the hook, and so I was like, well, I know, like little flipper like it because it got C on. I'll just get a little flip verse and then I'll go back and make the beat again. I was popping so much and moving so much because this is something that I think that will help you guys with the show that people don't know about. I ran a three state distribution company out of the back of my van. I may have been the first artist to ever put a store up online.
Speaker 3: People don't know that. And on your website you was selling stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of my friends worked at Xerox Wow, so he was in the tech before the average person was in the tech.
Speaker 5: So he set up a store.
Speaker 2: For me, right, and so anywhere within the three I said three state radius. If it was enough, I would actually take the CDs myself, especially if I was driving to go.
Speaker 3: Do beats to deliver yes himself.
Speaker 2: And if it was enough, if not, then I would just send it in a making the original Amazon prome exactly. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That's another one we're not thinking of about.
Speaker 2: You know, I just saw I just saw something online that said that I may have been the.
Speaker 5: First person to do NFTs.
Speaker 2: I don't know about quite know about that one, but I know that I was, probably, if not the first one, one of the first people to do crowdfunded.
Speaker 3: Let's break this down. Yeah, okay, NFTs. How did you move your involvement with that?
Speaker 2: Well, what I don't see. The thing is is that when you are the first, you don't really know what you're doing. And the thing was is that I wasn't doing it to make stuff easier for other people. I was doing it because like in my company to this day, ask any of my staff when they come to me and ask me, is it good enough?
Speaker 5: Ask my staff, what is the first.
Speaker 2: Thing I tell them?
Speaker 5: I always tell them is it good enough?
Speaker 2: For Apple? Apple was always the company from their inception, that was the company that I always competed against because this shit was so clean, it was so easy. How did they get their phone down to just one button? Even think about the packaging? How do you hot everything, everything like if you look at my god, boxes that soul. And some people said it was one of the greatest marketing. They said it was a marketing scheme. I said, it wasn't marketing a marketing scheme because I meant what I was doing. It wasn't a scheme. It was a box of consciousness. I took all the things that helped me to become conscious and I put it in a box. And what I did is I said, I wanted to cater to every sense that a human being has, so the slickness of the box. Women always tell me how good I smelled. Didn't you smell me, baby when I walked in the room. I know you did. It was quite elegant. See the way that you're looking at me in the Oh, no, you weren't locked in, but no. Women would always talk about how good I smelled. So I would spray my cologne in the boxes literally, so when they open up the box, male or female, they when they smelled it, when they touched it, like, whether we know it or not, we represent culture. And I new, especially during that time in music, anytime you thought of black and independent, people would always try to make it feel like it was low quality. So I always wanted to represent us at a level where at a zenith level where people will always be proud of me. That's the reason why I'm enough of a man to come on here today and say the way that you all represent culture, it it transcends just business and music, like you all are doing something that inspire people all over the world. I'm in meetings all the time and y'all name come up.
Speaker 1: Appreciate man, I appreciate that. I mean, it says a lot. And you use the word transcend and transition in a certain step.
Speaker 2: Excuse me one second. Can you go back to this camera right here? Damn, I look good. I saw myself myself.
Speaker 1: Somebody called people okay, go ahead. As we were saying the moment, the transition from being into the artists to sign artists. What is it like when you're trying to, I guess infiltrate or into a new space in terms of business, how are people viewing you when you walk into the space. Is it like, Hey, this guy's an artists, he doesn't know much. You said that they had a universe realized that you're a smart guy. But how are the other people in other forms of business.
Speaker 2: Looking at you.
Speaker 1: Where they look like this is the artists who may not know or we're not taking them serious because he doesn't come from this background.
Speaker 2: So I'll say this. I want to answer this question in a very specific way. Because I'm pretty decent with my hands. I own several firearms, and I go to tactical gun training monthly. I can be a little bit more vulnerable than the average artist, and I think it's very important for us to be honest. It's really, really scary. It's scary because a lot of these spaces, unlike you guys, if anything, y'all can fail together, if anything, if something go down, it's more than just one of y'all in most of these spaces using only one, and even more than that. And I found this out in higher education. As I moved up and higher in education, I became not only the only black male, but in a lot of cases, the only black person in a lot of these spaces. You all know this because we've bumped into each other in tech spaces. That's lonely, especially not only when you're trying to navigate yourself through it, but you're trying to learn it at the same time. So I'm trying to continue to make hit records when none of us know the real equation to hit records. I'm trying to stay current. But then I got to learn accounting. I gotta you know, I'm going overseas, navigating myself in spaces that I've never been before. Then you know what they don't talk about is the music industry gets younger and younger, while the people who own the music industry get older and older and wiser and wiser. So master p may come up with a stellar contract that breaks down the walls, or Michael Jordan in the case of Shoes, may come up with a deal that's never been seen before. But then white folks are not gonna let that happen again. You're gonna have to find another way to do it. And every time we break through, the contracts get tighter and tighter. But we're getting younger and younger and younger, and your music business becoming more disposable and more disposable. So, to answer your question directly, in a lot of these spaces, bro, I don't even have anybody to go to and acting man like, I'm acting across from some of the greatest actors on this planet and I just got Samuel. I just got to the point where I.
Speaker 5: Can call Samuel L.
Speaker 2: Jackson. And although, yeah, I'm tough from I'm a street perspective, but I'm dealing in things and in rooms that I've never ever experienced before. And like you say, I am, I'm representing us whether I want to or not. But I'm just glad that my parents instill something in me. And hip hop from the standpoint of when I was growing up was intelligent, so I always learned to study. I'll give y'all an example. I actually my first Gatorade contract. I actually wrote the contract myself, and I wrote the contract because I went to legal Zoom.
Speaker 5: That's when legal Zoom first came out, and.
Speaker 2: I downloaded every contract that had something to do with marketing, that had to do anything with commercials and music, and I study watch what I did. Most lawyers charge you by what the hour?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Have you ever noticed in most cases you only really spend thirty minutes, but they always charge you by the what. Well, so every time I would read something in legal Zoom that I wouldn't that I didn't understand, when.
Speaker 5: My lawyer got his ass up.
Speaker 2: No shit, your ass back down. I got thirty more minutes. I got these lists of questions. So after about twenty times of doing this with my lawyer, I got that shit. And it got to the point where other rappers would call me and say, hey, bro, read over my contract. I could pick out what was wrong. I didn't know how to rewrite the contract, but I could pick out what was wrong. But it was because I had the internal fortitude to study and learn on my own.
Speaker 3: I hope that so you got you got your four hours worth? Oh shit, you ever get mad at you for like yeo, bro, yeah is over?
Speaker 2: Well no, I will tell you that that. Come to find out, that particular lawyer that I'm talking about ended up being a thief. But he told me to my face. He told me two things that were very powerful. Number One, when he read over the Gatorade contract, he said, I corrected a few grammatical errors and a few terms, he said, but for the most part, I can't charge you. He said, you did that. He really looked at me and was like, Bro, you did that. And what he did say about me that I thought was honorable. He said, David Banner, unlike most people, you handle business the.
Speaker 5: Same way you are in real life.
Speaker 2: Like, one of the hardest things for me is to negotiate with producers because I'm a producer. I say this all the time. Most Black people don't want to free the slaves. They want the opportunity to hold a whip. How am I gonna fuck over a young producer when I am a producer? That ain't God like to me? You feel me? So he was like, you're the same man in a contract that you are on the streets. And that's all I could ever ask in business, or in life or in the spiritual, real period. That's integrity right there.
Speaker 1: You brought up the word loneliness when we were talking about what it's like navigating through these spaces. What we don't talk about is the mental told that it takes when you're facing that by yourself, right, Like, we're going through something. Obviously we have each other, we have family around us. How are you navigating from a mental side because you're deep into consciousness? How was that for you navigating as you're trying to be strategic of where your next move's going to be.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's hard for me to say because words are so powerful.
Speaker 5: I want to say, I want to say something.
Speaker 2: But when you say it, you manifested. You manifested. So it's sort of hard for me understanding that. You know, I navigated better, That's what I say. I didn't always navigate it well because in a lot of cases were the first people to do what we've done. Imagine how I felt in Mississippi going from being homeless. I literally went from being homeless to them announcing David Banner has a ten million dollar deal in the poor state and arguably the poor city in America. Jackson, Yeah, yeah, So for me to say that, you know, for people to say that, and for me to have to navigate, you know, not understanding taxes. But it's hard to explain to people. Just because you're intelligent, that doesn't mean that you know everything. You're intelligent in what you're great at. I didn't know nothing about taxes. And yes, I went to school in business, but name one place that they talk about taxes in business school. I went through the whole fucking curriculum. They don't teach you that, bro, And it's a game. So not only and bro, I'm glad that y'all asked me this question because I've never been able to say this before, and I feel comfortable enough to talk about here. And it also gives y'all something exclusive that I never said before.
Speaker 5: But like, Bro, I'm still a black man from the streets. I still gotta deal with street ship.
Speaker 2: So not only do I have to deal excuse me, Jordan, I'm gonna break I'm gonna break it for a second. Not only do I gotta deal with crackers, which is ignorant, I gotta deal with niggas too. So I gotta deal with racism. I gotta deal with street shit. I gotta deal with accountants. I gotta deal with lawyers. And then a lot of times the lawyers are incohoots with the accountants, Bro. And then your family and in the hood, you know, everybody feels ownership that's not even fair. And most and none of them bought a CD. That's the crazy thing. Say your music. You know, this is the text they don't talk about, Bro, and it's it's then and then watch this. Then you're blessed to a crude new information because now we're traveled. So, Bro, I'm in New York and I'm in college, and I'm all these different places getting knowledge yourself. I learned about Buddhism. And I'm from Mississippi, a Christian Christian Christian, and they tell you what you're going to hell forever ever ever, So imagine having to navigate through all of those spaces nine times out of tea and alone. I remember the women that I used to date. They used to always tell me this. Besides one young lady with two young ladies. It was one young lady from Saint Louis, from U City, and it was one lady, one young lady from here. She was from Hollis Queens. Those were the only two ladies that I ever ever dealt with that pushed my activism, the activism side of me. Most women will say, you got all this money, what you're worried about? That fun I'm always.
Speaker 5: Like, it's funny.
Speaker 2: I was telling those talking to my publicist team yesterday, we had a slight little tiff and I asked him.
Speaker 5: I was like, what's the only time did I act?
Speaker 2: The donkey? Tell me the only time I ever get upset is about the liberation of black people. You ain't never had no problems with me about nothing. So if people are treating my people right, you you never got to worry about me. So didn't think about that too, being an activist in Mississippi. Imagine hearing Brand Nubie and this to Do asked, I stopped eating pork and eleventh grade in Mississippi, thinking what my mom and dad they thought about me. Oh, you ain't gonna eat these pork chopp but you ain't gonna eat jack. But watch this though, I'm gonna tell you all how much my mom and dad loved me. Once they found out that I was serious about not eating pork. My whole family stopped eating pork. I didn't notice that till I was a grown man.
Speaker 3: Bacon Mama cooked breakfast with no hall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a moment even for us like that. I stopped too. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: So what made you stop being poor?
Speaker 1: I was listening to my brother stopped listening. He was listening to Brand Nubian. Obviously I'm listening to it because he listening to it. And I was like, all right, if he's gonna stop, then I'm gonnatop. Like this is like I'm like eighty nine years old.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you all what's amazing about hip hop? Man? Imagine this, bro. I was actually able to tell sadat because like a lot of times people still look at me as David Banner. A lot of people that I look up to actually look up to me, and I never thought that would ever be the case. Bro, Like I'm looking after them and they coming they asking me like, damn man, what did you learn this? What book? And how did you do this? But I was actually able to tell Sadat like, Bro, you the reason why I.
Speaker 5: Stopped eating poor Bro, you changed crazy.
Speaker 3: That's ill, that's fire. Let me ask you this. On the independent side, Snoop, I only met Snoop one time, and it was crazy because he gave a lot of game just in a very short period of time. One of the things that he said was is insightful. He was saying that we're talking about Beasts Ba Dre and you know everybody know that. I think Apple bord it for eight hundred million dollars something like that, and he was like, sometimes they'll buy you to shelf you, yeah, meaning like Beasts by Dre was lit. They had everybody, they had all the rappers, they had athletes there. You don't really see too much about beat by Dre now. So his Apple Apple Apple bought them. So he's his thing was like as soon as Apple buys Beats BA Dre, all you hear is iPod the AirPods. So they essentially brought the competition to kill the competition so they could push their products, which is AirPods as opposed to Beat by Dre.
Speaker 2: What have you heard that before?
Speaker 3: Though, Well, that's why I'm tying in with the music because like slim Thug is my guy, Like that's a personal friend of Austin. And he was saying, like how he kind of regretted going to a label because it's like the label, the allure of a label, like I got a deal, now I got to I got my own label under a label. But he was like, looking back on it, it was better to just stay the independent route. You think that that the music business has done that?
Speaker 2: Like of course that's what I was alluding to earlier. I even take it a step further. Okay, then all right, see y'all starting I'm trying to stay on business. All right, So peep this. Watch this. Watch this gonna blow your mind. It's funny because I saw part of it here. What was the big the Virgin megastore That was when I knew they won. Watched this so they sucked up all of the independent artists. First, gave us more money than we ever seen before. But what that is to them is a tax right off, right, because they make sure in most cases that we fail. And then the other rappers who were like me, unlike you know what I'm saying. If if if let's say many Fresh decided that he wanted to leave, right, I don't have to that problem because I produce. Also, if Baby decided to leave, then they don't have to worry about that because I run my business. I understand my business. If Wayne decided to leave, whether they rapper left or Julie decided to leave, a BG decided to leave, well I do the rappers. I do the rapping. So what ended up happening is is after they soaked, they gave all this money and we thought we had all of this money. And then the first thing that you all know, I didn't understand is what forty forty five percent of it is gone just in taxi Right, then you're catching up for all of the borrowing that you did and not having or getting your first house and car, getting your mom straight. What see long Green said that money be gone, So they did that. That was easy. Didn't watch what they did. I myself got a seventy thousand dollars check from Southwest Distribution. We didn't need the majors. We had Gonzales, we had Southwestern, We had distribution companies, real solid distribution companies. They soaked them up and bought them out. Then guess what they did. Black people learn how to get mom and pop stores, even though a lot of them was burning CDs in the back and bootlegging. But that was we even learned how to We actually learned how to press CDs the fact. Right, then they sucked up the mom and pop stores. I don't know if you'll remember when they would put the Feds started going to the mom and pop stores like they were really like they were selling drugs.
Speaker 5: Bro Right, So then they sucked up the mom and pop stores.
Speaker 2: Then after they sucked up the mom and pop stores, then they went for the major stores. Bro. We at Virgin all we got to doing, say the Virgin Mega Store bo literally and I know, I know, Jordan, but I gotta say it, bro Like the Virgin Mega Store was one of the few times besides walking into a strip club where I think I slightly had an orgasm when I would walking to the store leisurely, I mean just being a I mean just being up Bro. One thing that people don't understand about me, BRO, is I really loved hip hop. I really loved it. I really thought it was this real thing, Bro. I right like, BRO, and I peeped what they did to the game, BRO, and then we were okay with streaming after that. BRO.
Speaker 5: Like we It's just like, Bro, we are addicted to.
Speaker 2: Following our pressors, no matter how they treat us, no matter how bad they do us, we run behind them. BRO. I just left Forbes, and what I was telling them over there at Forbes was like, one of the sad things is that we get caught in the trends, no matter how detrimental those trends may beat us. Like I told them, there's nothing from a business standpoint that you can tell me that was positive about streaming. And you all are owned your business acumen, bro, at least at y'all age. BRO, I don't know too many people y'all ages that beat y'all on that side. Tell me one positive thing about streaming you were getting. I just told you I was getting ten dollars a CD two fractions of pennies to just allow somebody to play my music over and over again on their site. That's all streaming is. They just play up, perpetually play your shit over and over again, and then people tap into their site. What's smart about that?
Speaker 3: It's just psychological. Even Swiss Swiss Btest says something that was insightful off so with you know, he went to Harvard like that program that they have, and he was like, one thing that he picked up is that in business, you don't have to give somebody ownership, but you just make them feel like they have ownership in their work. So he equated that to labels. He's like, so when they started giving everybody a label, they felt empowered because now you're under a powered structure that you psychologically want to be under anyway, and they make you're still a worker, but you have a title of a CEO. So now all everybody got a label, but nobody has distribution, nobody has real ownership. But that's a way to keep everybody happy, satisfied.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy. Bro I wrote this thesis paper that directly correlated and connected slavery and the plantation two record labels, you know and and through me doing my and through me doing my research, I found that there was something that was called yard niggas. So you look at, well, no, the field niggas are the rappers, right, The yard niggas are the A and rs. The house niggas are the like the label execs right, and so bro, this you know, I had a partner that helped me in it, but it was genius and I may turn it into a book one day, bro, whether we know it or not. Bro, people act just like slaves and don't know it, like dude, Like, if you look at just getting a deal, usually when you look at getting hot in the hood as a rapper or as a beat producer, all that is is recruiting power, right, And what's the first thing you do when you go get power? You don't believe that you can wield that power, so you go find you a white dude to do it for you.
Speaker 5: Why couldn't a black person do it? Why couldn't you do it?
Speaker 2: Like? What is it? What is it? What is it about us that we can't create our own internet? Dog? Why you can't create your own store? Bro? And then as soon as we start figuring it out and be like, oh, we can do this shit.
Speaker 5: And I'll give y all a great example.
Speaker 2: And I blow people mind every time I tell them this. You remember when shooting a video a rap video was just like science, Like everybody was afraid to do it, and nobody thought it that it could be done. And somebody somewhere just went and got a fucking camera and shot that bitch. Everybody started shooting the music video. And it's starting to happen in movies now. Black folks are starting to say, like, oh damn, we can use this our phone and shoot a movie and put it up on tob what you can do to be yourself. So what ends up happening, bro, is like people won't admit that they still have slave mindsets. Bro. And the crazy thing is, I tell Black people this all the time, is we talk about Jesus all the time. Black folks get on they Jesus, kick Jesus, Jesus. But when anybody start acting like Jesus, we usually crucify ourselves. Anytime somebody said, well I'm gonna run this myself, well I'm gonna do this, or I'm gonna because I believe that, why would God allow us to be thinking beings thinking sentient beings. If it wasn't meant for us to challenge things, and so all of those people that ever challenged anything, they usually ended up dead or in jail. It's a fact. Language is important.
Speaker 1: And you use the word thought when you thought hip hop was it almost feels like you don't recognize it now?
Speaker 5: Or pop is imperialism? Have you fallen out of love with it?
Speaker 2: I have?
Speaker 5: I have, I have, Yes, I have. But let me tell you why I think God allowed me to.
Speaker 2: So watch this. Just like they created that feeling of hip hop that made us think that it was real, we can do that on the other end of spec on the other end of the spectrum. Me and Jordan. That's from my publishers team. We talked about it today. Imagine if I created a company that because all you got to do is create a company and get all our friends and all I thought about that, going to get Snoop, going to get Rahem Devn, getting all get krit and all of us. Put a company together and just make the splits equitable and then give other artists what they deserve. But we know that we want. Maybe God put us through what we were going through so we can be the person to do it. I don't think the story of Jesus was about a man coming down to bear a cross for you. I think it was about God coming in a physical form to show you how to bury your own cross. If I can come down here and be a man and do it, you can too. You remember the story of Jesus when he was walking on water and he had other people walking with him until they started doing what doubting. You are made out of the same stuff God has made out of. You think it, you do it. So why are we so scared? This is why it's the greatest time in history as business men. Because you all noticed. They thought we were crazy. They thought you all were crazy until you did it. Think about Bro, me doing hip hop in Mississippi. Bro, they thought I was crazy today sound like a pill, Bro. All God has to do is give you vision. People perish because of a lack of vision. Bro. We see it, and I want to tell you all this. This is very important.
Speaker 5: You must listen to me on this.
Speaker 2: Bro. Bro. We have to stop getting mad when people don't see our vision. If people see your vision, then it's general knowledge. Then you are no longer blessed. My mother always said, you are blessed. Being a visionary is a curse and a blessing. You're blessed to see other things that people can't see, but you're cursed to sit in them alone. I'm grateful for this deficit. I am grateful for this experience that we're having with Trump, because now we know that America cares nothing about the black man and woman. I was speaking at a female reproductive summit, and I think I scared a couple of people, but I told them the truth. I said, the first thing that you have to understand as a black woman is they don't want you to reproduce black kids anyway. So when you're wondering why we are dying at this rate, you gotta first understand that you keep going to their hospitals, you keep going to their mothers and fathers, and when they don't want you to have black children in the first place. So until you admit that, and I know it's scary, I know it's hard to digest, but until we understand that if we don't come back and save us, no one will Ain't nobody coming out the sky. Because if the way that I think about Jesus is true, Jesus already came down and showed you what to do. What he she or it got to come back for Bro. That's the reason why I want to be a billionaire. Most people want to be a billionaire so they can live in abundance. I want to be a billionaire because I want to free to people. Bro. I don't want nobody to have to go to Warner Brothers no more if they don't want to. I don't want kids to ever see a time where there's not a black Superman because they can come to a Banner vision And ain't it crazy speaking to Superman? How are you energized by the sun and you're actually practically you know, you're actually a battery incarnate? When white people they skin does what to the sun? It reached next the sun? They've run from the sun. How can Superman be white when it superpower is the Sun and y'all can't sit out in the sun five minutes without Dad thought, no, no, no, Actually, a white scientist I read an article a white scientist that there's no way possible that Superman is white. Knowing what you know, yeah, and what you study.
Speaker 1: We had this conversation with where I am the first thing we asked on was how do you sleep knowing that all of this but the other do you feel.
Speaker 2: As a threat to the opposition? All right, So I've grown spiritually where I don't hate anybody anymore. One thing that I realized is, first of all, you have to understand that these people came from Europe. It came from a cold climate where you know, there's not many resources, there's not much time. You know, if you don't if you don't plant at the right time in the right place and harvest and collect, it's cold seven you're like, what seven to eight nine months? So the scarcity martians, Yes, So like it's not just that the fact that they're biggest. So they're racists, are survival on this planet period, and they are the recessive gene. So I'm not emotional about it. So what I realized is, and be honest, guys, if it was a rattlesnake over there in that corner, you would and kiss that rattlesnake and there's.
Speaker 5: A rattlesnake bitch you in the mouth, would you be mad?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: You asked for it?
Speaker 2: Why would I be biting rattlesnake? And historically over and over again. You kiss a rattle snake in the mouth, it's gonna get bit right. So historically it's black people while we keep going over there by the rattle.
Speaker 3: So that brings up a good point because are you from Mississippi? So civil rights it's different. We all have different struggles in America. Racism no matter where you at happening. But the history of the South is different from the history of the North. I was just watching the movie Till for the first time, story of m Me tell if anybody hasn't seen it, to watch it. So being that you come from the South, right, you know, doctor CLAUDA. Anderson, Yes, So he brung up a good point where he was saying that he thought the civil rights movement was misguided because integration took out a lot of black businesses and it gave us an illusion of inclusion.
Speaker 2: Integration was worse than slavery. Talk about that, Okay, Well, if you look at slavery for what it is, we just lost the war that we didn't know that we were in. I mean, that just happens. Really, if you really look at it for what it is. It's just whether it would have been Native Americans, whether it would have been the Irish people. Whoever, it would have been the reason why we ended up being who we were. And the pecking order is because we survived and because we're children in the sun, so we are children of the sun, so we can last in the sun. We were more.
Speaker 5: Durable as just human beings in period.
Speaker 2: Right, So the problem is is that in the mechanism of slavery, if you have the chains on, you always know that you have to escape. Integration gave us the illusion of winning. It's the same way that I feel about the devil. People get mad at me because I said, I don't believe the devil exists. I believe that white people gave you the devil so that you won't realize that you are the problem. If you always think it's something outside of yourself, you will never correct yourself. You'll always put it on an external entity. And if you really do believe in God, in one God, why would you ever compare anything to the most high? Why would you even have it? In the same sentence, right, you are the problem. We are our own problems in business and spirituality, in everything. For me, I just realized, bro that this is so powerful.
Speaker 5: Watch this y'all gonna love this. What is the name of y'all company?
Speaker 2: Earn your leisure? You gotta fucking earn it. It ain't coming from nowhere. Unless you earn it, you will never have the leisure that you are looking for. Hold on for a second, let's pause.
Speaker 1: This is a message brought to you by that was dope as fucking numbers be in the movies with some black and white shit.
Speaker 2: Bro thought about that in my hand and I was like, Yo, that's dope as fuck. This is a message pro to you, Boden.
Speaker 3: David.
Speaker 2: But I'm serious though, Bro. I thought of like I was thinking about like that. Damn, that's dope. Like, we have to earn our leisure. We have to earn our freedom, Bro. And the thing is is, Bro, the real truth is that we're gonna have to suffer for a while. You know. If you think about most people that come to America, Bro, like they'll sleep ten twelve to a house. One person that get successful, he'll go buy a house, bring five people over there.
Speaker 3: And it's not integration. We a few blocks away from Chinatown right now. There's no integration in Chinatown. You go to Chinatown and it is only Mandarin that's spoken and you go to like different parts. They've integrated in the greater society of America, but they're very intentional about maintaining and they're not They're unapologized. It's crazy Indian culture. I went, we went to London. We stayed in the W Hotel in Soho. Now we didn't know that that was Chinatown. So the uber driver was taking us there and they was like, why are you staying in W, Like it's a W. They're like, well, only Chinese people stay there, but the W is not a Chinese hotel. So I'm like, well, he's like, well the owner of that W is Chinese, so that's not even a Chinese brand. But they they when they come to London, you know, and they don't they don't got to be told to do that. It's natural, right, So it's like that's something that we can't wait to go away from everything.
Speaker 5: Like I know some guys that are doing some work in Africa.
Speaker 2: That's I do my research too. We're not gonna go there this. Yeah, I appreciate the research, No bro, I appreciate that. Yes, no, no, I was actually doing some similar business and and just I was doing some similar business. And that's what I'm saying, Bro. People are looking to help us. We just have to find them. We just have to.
Speaker 5: Travel, bro.
Speaker 2: And when you start traveling and looking, Bro, I'm saying from a spiritual standpoint, you what they always say, like, you take a step to God.
Speaker 5: God take a you know, eight nine ten to you.
Speaker 3: But is that marketing to like, even with the label right, is that marketing where we just feel is that white supremacy where we feel like if we get included in white power structure, that's the ultimate goal. So we'll run away from black inclusion.
Speaker 2: So I'll tell you something, and I hope that by me giving you this example, it'll make it a little bit clearer. So have you all ever heard in football when they say that white quarterbacks are smarter? Okay, so white quarterbacks are not smarter, they just are not as physical as black people are. I think it was Bill Burr. He said it like if a white quarterback could jump over a linebacker, he would, but he can't. A white quarterback Like, as an animal, you're gonna run first, you're gonna jump first, you're gonna fight first. But if you can't run, you're gonna have to think so. I mean, it wasn't no need for Mike Vick to think about nothing. He would just outrun you. What animals? Do you understand what I'm saying? So, I think what ends up happening is because white people are not as a whole. I'm not saying that there's not individuals as talented as we are. They have to think of mechanisms. I watched the NBA do it all the time. Since they can't play the game no more, then they find a way to always change the rules. That's when the play in tournaments and all that kind of stuff, because they have to find a way to be involved in the game because they can't jump or coach. Again. Yeah, but even now we're getting close, because there's no way that.
Speaker 5: Mark Jackson is not coaching somewhere.
Speaker 2: Bro. Come on. But for me, Bro, I realize that that is all well and fine, because I truly believe this, Bro. I believe that a very wise man from out of Philadelphia told me is Bro. He said that all these things that happened are just to bring us closer to God. That's all all this is for, is that if we would take the lesson and earn our leisure then at the end of the day, bro Like, with all of this stuff going on with Trump, and we would take the message that people are not going to help us. We keep looking for DEI like, why would you want to be around somebody that don't want to help you.
Speaker 5: I don't understand this, bro.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 5: There's a restaurant in Atlanta that Tip and Ernestine.
Speaker 2: They boycotted. And I know for sure because my ex girlfriend spent seventy eight thousand dollars a year because when she didn't want to have meetings in her office, she would go there.
Speaker 5: I know the story.
Speaker 2: She told me as much money as as she spent in there. How racist those people were. I have not been in that restaurant in ten years. I'm never going back. When people show you who they are. If a company doesn't believe that DI is the thing that they're supposed to do because it's the right thing to do, I don't want you to do it because somebody is pressuring you. That means that we shouldn't buy them. And the thing about it is is whenever you remove your money and your attention, they'll get right. My opinion, you.
Speaker 1: Brought up a big grit and shout out to Big Crit Historic run Man legendary felt like that was a pathway for them, and it's kind of been like a hiatus form and music for the past few years. And you said something important. You've beverly intentionally did that, Yeah, and helped you house.
Speaker 2: So Big Crit. When I was going through my depression, Big Crit was actually the person that told me, you know, to look at your environment sometimes in a spiritual way. It's the environment. Also the house that you're in. You don't know who lived in it before. You don't know if it's the people that you brought into your house, if their spirits are still lingering. Like it's all of these things that our grandmother's understand, and it's the things that I think they were trying to hint on in centers that because of conventional religion and one thing that I hate, I just got to say this, and Jordan, I'm not gonna go too far into this, but like we always jump on these spiritual boats about what other religions do, but we have not like really made people stand on what they did to us under the guise of the conventional religions that we believe in in America. If you look at the continent of Africa. It's not chopped up because of who believed in what God. It's chopped up because of the oppressors who won won the wars in those places. In most cases, people were not Christian because they wanted to be Christian. It was Christians because they're Christian conquerors conquered that land, or Muslim conquerors conquered that land. If they're if the if they're if they're not believing in the indigenous religion of that land. And it really wasn't a religion, it was a way of life. If you look at most African people, you look at most native people anywhere you go, they believed that God was in everything. And if you look at the indigenous Asian people, it was very similar to African people. You understand what I'm saying, bro, Like everywhere we go and so we get into these religious things, bro, and not understand how we are controlled. Bro. I love the implications of sinners, and I understood what they meant by us tapping back into what our grandmothers believe in. You know, I don't mind you know, you believing in the religion you believed in, but if you haven't tested it if you haven't done the research, if you haven't translated, because they've lied about everything on this planet, Bro, and how and how that transfers into business. I'll answer a question that you asked me earlier that I sort of got away from. I believe that the reason why black people continue to forgive people is because Jesus looked like them. If Jesus looked like us, maybe we would forgive us or the black bank that made one mistake, when the white bank make a thousand mistakes and you forget it them every day, Hines ketchup make for.
Speaker 3: The portrayal of Jesus, the white Jesus with blue eyes and blind headed. You're one of the most dangerous things that's ever happened on this planet.
Speaker 2: I had. I had a d We were building out in front of of a store in Atlanta, and dude said something so powerful to me, Bro that it still shakes me to this day.
Speaker 5: He says that he said that Jesus exists.
Speaker 2: Whether Jesus existed or not, the most powerful person on this planet, it's Jesus. The most powerful book on this planet is the Bible. Whether it's right or wrong. We're not gonna argue that that's not my place. So if you believe that they hold the key to God, then you're always gonna forget them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: And you always don't think they water is weather.
Speaker 3: You're always going to think that you're they're superior. Yeah, it's natural. Like I read a book one time. This guy who's a refugee from this Let me.
Speaker 2: Ask you a question about him real quick, bro, He says, the coldest ship in the world, right, and doesn't break face every No, bro, I just saw your mama principle at the school. Deal with that information.
Speaker 3: Do what you want.
Speaker 2: But he just said the coldest sitting looked me in mind, didn't break character. Use me when I say shit, I'd be like that shit, don't that'sh He was like, no, no, they control your mind. You think they're superior. Let's continue on five four three two.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: But so the guy was from the suit in and he had never saw a white person before ever, and so he was like ten years old and then like a missionary somebody from the un So a white person came into his village and he said when he saw him the first person, the first thing that he thought that he had died because he thought that this was God Jesus. And the only reason why he thought that is because up until that point, the only portrait that he's ever seen of white people was Jesus, a white Jesus. So he automatically connected the first white person where he that he saw to God. So imagine the grace that you're going to give somebody psychologically, right, the grace that you're gonna give somebody psychologically if you think that their God or the equivalent to God. And then imagine the disdain that you'll have for somebody who think is the direct opposite of that.
Speaker 2: And then the deep part to that is even when there when even though their book tells you his skin was like burnt copper hair, you know, like, yeah, good, that sounds like a Rastafarian to me. Bro, No, I'm that serious.
Speaker 3: But it also it also shows you how powerful art is. That's what that is is art, right, that's a portrait of SZR. Borgos Son. And so the art is more important than the text because, like you said, you can read the text, but that visual painting over overrides what's actually in the text.
Speaker 2: So we played one word game, just me and just me, and you do the counsel of Naicia. Yes, I can't even have that conversation Like, that's what I'm telling you about the stuff that I learned about. Bro, I can't even have these conversations with my friends with my mother.
Speaker 5: Bro, Like, you just got to sit on that, Bro.
Speaker 2: And that's where your relationship with God is so important, man, because Bro, my grandmother died thinking she was free. My grandma actually died happy and bro Like for me, Man Like, I am so grateful that if nothing else, Bro is that I know. And I'm also grateful that people consider me. That's one thing that I can say about my relationship with hip hop that I don't know if anybody else on hip hop had.
Speaker 5: People at least consider me.
Speaker 2: Bro. I don't know why. I don't know what I've done to earn that, man, but I am so grateful to God. Bro. I speak this in Christian churches in Mississippi and not get strung up and black people be like, you might not let you come back here no more, but at least you get to walk out. But no, Bro, get out of there. But I'm serious, Like, black people consider me, Bro, and I am so grateful man to be that. You know, I don't. I don't know what to do with it. I try, BRO, But like, I'll tell y'all something only because I'm enjoying this interview so much. Bro.
Speaker 5: But like, Bro, it's hard on me.
Speaker 2: Bro. I didn't lost over twelve million dollars Bro because of my activism, my opportunities.
Speaker 5: Not just opportunities.
Speaker 2: Bro. But you gotta think, man, Like, let's just be honest. BRO. I get my money from Disney. Bro, I give my money from PepsiCo.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm just being honest with you. And like, black people, for some reason, think that money comes from some imaginary place. When you're activist, it don't. Bro. If it don't come from you, it don't happen. That's why again, I am going to sing you all's praises.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 2: You found you all found a way to galvanize the people and make them excited about spending money with other black people. That's powerful, Gee, that is powerful.
Speaker 1: How have you responded when you're face being tested? I think that's when you really find out who you are spiritually, right, So like in the moments, especially dealing with the music industry and just dealing with life over the course of time, how has that been for you, Okay, ask the question.
Speaker 2: In a more direct way with one sentence, because this is very important and I want to make sure that I answer it in the right way. I'll say, like this, how about this? Have you always been this develot? Have you grown to it?
Speaker 1: And in times of questioning your faith or challenging your faith?
Speaker 2: How is that shape to you? All? That's actually worse? No, but I got it, man. So the amazing thing to me about God is sort of like your dad bro, like fathers bro, like you think about the teachers that really loved you. Now that we've grown, I had this new thing. You have to make a choice as a parent. And I'm not even a parent yet. Your children can like you when they're young and not respect you when they're grown, because they'd be like, that's some bullshit. You should have stayed on my ass, Like or you cannot spare the rod, they say, spare the rod quick in the child to the grave. Right, So your kids cannot like you when their children and then respect you when they grown. I remember beinging the Butcher saying that on my podcast. He said he went back to his hood and checked his OJ's. Can't I say nigga. He was like, nigga, how y'all had as selling dope at ten, y'all was supposed to be fathers. Bro, how y'all let us take those penitentiary chances at fourteen?
Speaker 5: Bro response, He didn't tell me what the response was.
Speaker 2: But I thought that was so brave. He said, he really went back and checked his OJZ BRO. So what I'm saying is is that since God loves us, sometimes I can equate my struggle to the amount of love and how much God trusts me with that mantle, bro, or with that responsibility. Excuse me. So, like what I'm learning now, and this is just my opinion, y'all, faith in God is not jumping off of the mountain, because you could just be a fucking food and jump off the mountain. The real test is you jumping off the mountain, God letting you fall face first on the concrete and number one, you didn't understand that you survived, number one, but waiting to see if you was gonna curse his or her or its name and then give you wings to fly. That's what I'm learning that real faith is not just jumping off the mountain. Now when stuff don't work, your way when you don't get it exactly when you want to, and then realize that when if you would have got it when you wanted to, you would have wrecked it anyway. So when I am learning about it is to stop asking God why and ask God What's I just while you said it, I mean, but did it click? Clicked?
Speaker 1: Because it made me think of when Lupe says struggle another sign that God loves you.
Speaker 2: That's a bar. That's his penitentiary. That ain't just a bar, that's the whole penitentiary. You can build a penitentiary off that one. Yeah, you was about to.
Speaker 3: Say something mental health, because you too.
Speaker 2: I'm a fucking wreck dog, I know, I just said. I didn't want to say it. I'm a fucking red.
Speaker 3: You spoke about work in progress.
Speaker 2: Language is important. I just wanted to let it go one time, bro.
Speaker 3: But you spoke about you spoke about, you know, depression. But there's a lot of people, especially men right that are going through things that they can't identify what it is, and b they're going through things and they don't know how to seek help. So my question is, how did you identify you was in that place and how did you seek the help to get out of that well one.
Speaker 2: Truthfully, I'm not a rape man. I'm actually very proud of the man that I am I'm becoming, and I am grateful also that the blessings that I did think that I wanted. Bro, If I would have got him earlier, I would have messed it up, bro. Like I honestly thinking, and I'm not just saying this because I'm on y'all show, I really believe it. I believe why should God bless me with the financial opulence that I leave that I deserve when I would have just gave it to them through not paying my taxes anyway, like some things we won't were not ready for him. Maybe God and then bless us with him because he share it, knew that it would be a nightmare, so that we have to be prepared to receive it, because if not, then you're just to conduit to bless your enemy because they just gonna take it away from you from not being prepared, not being well read, not understanding accounting, not understanding taxes, all of these things. We want all of this money, bro, but we don't do the things to earn our leisure. Damn. That's though but what was the question more directly, like.
Speaker 3: How did you know you was depressed? How did you seek help to get out of that the pressure?
Speaker 2: So I found out from my therapist that sometimes not all the time that your the brain protects you from all the trauma that we've been through. And you wonder why, because this is one of the things that I tripped on. And I never said this in public either, but I'm having such a great time. Bro, y'all doing a great job. Bro. I was tripping because I was depressed, and I was like, Bro, I've been in shootouts, I've been homeless and happy and all this stuff. Bro, Like, why am I tripping now? Bro? I gotta bent me outside? What I am I tripping? Like? I'm dating models? And bro, if I want to go to Japan right now? Matter of fact, I knew a way if I wanted to go out of space, I can afford to go out of space. Literally, maybe not twelve times, but I go out of space one time. I got that kind of bread right. But what I realized is that the human brain protected us until we got into space where we could handle it, and then the brain was like, okay, now you got a little bit of bread. Deal with that that happened to you when you were nine, Deal with your mama leaving you outside, you know, and you're being adopted. This didn't happen to me. But I'm just saying. And so I just started getting to the point, man, where I think I had the mental space when you in the streets, Bro, like we was in the streets, you didn't have no time to worry because other stuff was happening daily all the time, you know what I'm saying. And so I started realizing, Man, that I was in the space. I had the means too. And then the other side of this, I have talked about this in other places. I am realizing. And I'm not a therapist, So y'all go and talk to your therapist. Don't put this on David Benner also found that one of the things that we think is depression, that's not always depressing. Depression is us breaking the programming. Like, Bro, we have been lied to, not just by white people, not just by America, but by parents who was giving us the best stuff that they possibly could. But a lot of that stuff is lies, Bro, And so a lot of times, Bro, if you have been and I talked about this today, movies and television are what television programming. We are being programmed every day. And this is one thing that as much knowledge itself, as much social and financial literacy that you all may be giving people, you can't beat Fox Network, not yet. We on our way, but they can program, they can tell but that Christopher Columbus discovering America. That's a damn lie. So a lot of times, bro, we are breaking. It's actually what we feel is depression is actually us healing. The same way I realized when I fast A lot of the times when I think I need to go eat, it's actually the impurities coming out of my body. I don't need to put any more in there. I just need to wait for a minute. So I started realizing, man, that you know, I had to break myself. I had to allow the most high to totally run his, her or its course with me. Bro, And then I'm all right, and that you all are doing a good job, bro, just for us to wake up every day and get at it again. Y'all doing a good job. You know what I'm saying. Sweetye, As much as you peek over here and look at me, because I do smell good. And that I'm handsome, the fact that you can restrain yourself and not total.
Speaker 3: No'm just joking.
Speaker 2: That might be somebody, girlfriend, I'm just joking. But no, like we are surviving man. And to be honest with you, Bro, I don't know how I made it through. I had an assistant once he told me. He said, David, if I knew for a fact that I could make it and all of my dreams could come true, but I had to go through what you went through. He said, I wouldn't do it. Bro. I've been through it, dog, But I'm here. Bro. Bro, I look better than I did when I was twenty seven years old. Bro, I am stronger than I've ever been in my life. Brom making so much fucking money, dog, like it's coming to me. Bro. And it's so crazy, Bro, because a lot of people about finances and opulence and say that it's evil.
Speaker 5: It is not, Bro. It is what you allow it to be.
Speaker 2: And Bro, when I started vibrating on the right level, getting around the right people, reading the right information, and I just want to say this, I don't know if you all disagree with me or not, but as I'm moving to that next level of life, most people who deal in money at the level that we're dealing with now, then people will never give you the secrets, the real secrets to allow you to be their competition. They won't. If you look at other financial books, it's usually never written by the person that's on the cover. They will give you enough to be successful so you can can continue reading their books and consuming their information. But the real truth, BRO, you gotta get around people that know stuff, or you got to try and fail over and over again until you can piece the equation together. Bro. That's what I'm learning. BRO. You just you gotta get out there and make them mistakes or go and find people. BRO.
Speaker 5: I invested in a cold fusion company.
Speaker 2: And my friends were like, what the fuck? Give what you know about confusion? Nothing? But I add that did buy me the opportunity to get into our generation's Einstein. I met that guy, the people that I was around, and I'll tell you all this too a lot of times, because people will never tell you all this. When you're dealing with people who are in money at that level, they're usually going to try to make you do something, to sacrifice something to make sure that you're worthy of being around them. Bro.
Speaker 5: It's like dude told me.
Speaker 2: He was like, Bro, you got to get a ticket to Australia if you want this opportunity. And it's like a fourteen day turnaround. That had never been to Australia before, out straight out the hood. Bro, I can't lie. I was scared. I ain't know nobody over there. But what made me do it was I had thrown that amount of money that they were asking for the initial investment. Bro. I had thrown that.
Speaker 5: In the club in Magic City, and BRO, show enough.
Speaker 2: As soon as I made that sacrifice, Bro, they open up. That's why I learned about the law of attraction. That's why I learned. BRO. Like them people if you vibrate on the right level, you walk into like let's say if I brought you, they know how.
Speaker 5: They know that I know how they are about the circle.
Speaker 2: Right, and they'll come over there and they'll ask you. They'll be like, what you do for a living? You know, all in a company, they earn your leisure. We're trying to you know this. They'd be like, all right, next thing, you know, they'll hand your phone and it'll be the CEO or the biggest company in the world and what they told me is that they don't want it back from me. They get it back from the universe if you're a right person, like they they the only thing they didn't like about me was my music. It's like, you gotta stop doing that music. It's negative, Like we don't really do negative, but you're so special. And they were the ones that taught me that I came back to America and started doing my black friends the way that they taught me. Like, Bro, if you writing a movie, I got a house in Mississippi that I never go to. Bro, won't you go down there and just just go down there and write your movie? Here go my keys. The only thing I asked is whatever money that you was gonna pay to rent a car or whatever get at to this organization. That's the type of people that I started being around, Bro, And when I started living that kind of life, Bro, money and opportunity just came to me. That's probably we got to meet them. They hard to meet. But let me tell you one other thing that they do that I think is dope. Bro. They'll get together and we don't think like this. They'll all get together and be like, Yo, let's let's go to Europe. They'll be like that, all right, man, what you would have paid for the w Let's all put our money together and rent a castle. That's the kind of shit that is genius and in actuality when you really look at it and put it together. The castle would probably end up being cheaper if it's twelve of us and they when we're barling in the castle. Bro.
Speaker 5: But we want to keep it to ourselves, and that's slavery.
Speaker 2: Stunning is a habit. You like me?
Speaker 1: Well, there is one book that kind of debunks what you just said.
Speaker 2: You deserve to be rich, written.
Speaker 1: By Troy Millings and Rachell Blow you the town's bestseller for the record.
Speaker 3: You're going by it rich boys, for sure, but.
Speaker 2: Y'all the one that's doing it though. So you all are the exception to the rule. And that's the only reason why I'm here. Just love my brother.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you, David Banner. Ladies and gentlemen. Always a pleasure that any time we get to chop it. I mean, we got we gotta speak more often, man.
Speaker 2: But this is special. I can't wait to see this. Just one more question before we leave, one more because I don't know it's something that I'm missing. I feel like I'm missing.
Speaker 1: Well, I was trying to get the Krit story out. We kind of went around it. We really didn't answer none of the questions. But I brought it back up because we were having a conversation before we started, and I was like, stop, I want the people to hear that, because it was important for a couple of reasons. Number one, brotherhood, but the other one was introspection and retrospect, like, I'm looking at this differently because a contemporary has showed me something I didn't though.
Speaker 2: Well, Bro, I honestly think that Krick is one of the dopest artists on his planet. And I've told him this to his face so I can say it on camera. I had to tell Krit that you are a generational talent. You know.
Speaker 5: He reminds me of BB King.
Speaker 2: He reminds me of just Bro. Just just some artists that take a minute, Bro, you know, but they're going to be here for the rest of their life. If Krick chose to rap at eighty, I think he would be just fine. Bro. And so I told Krick man, like, you gotta star competing, Bro, You ain't got to compete with them.
Speaker 5: They are not you.
Speaker 2: They'll had this moment think about all those artists that was so much more successful than me when I came out, but they couldn't give away an album. They would pay y'all to get on here and couldn't get on here. Bro.
Speaker 5: And so that's the type of artist that Krit is.
Speaker 2: And so me and Krit talk a lot, bro, and Krit told me he was like, I'll tell you the most important thing he told me. And I ain't even know that Chris thought about me this way. Krit was like, Banner, no matter what you do, you are a threat to America, he said. Whether you he said, whether you were revolutionary or not, whether you spoke your mind or not. You are six foot two, articulate, thoughtful black man. That's a problem, you know. And when I was going through my depression, Krit was the one that told me that I probably need to move out of my house.
Speaker 5: I probably would have still been in.
Speaker 2: That house depressed. He said, like, Bro, like it was a big house, Bro, like a big, beautiful house. And he was like, Bro, you don't know what spirits are in there, and it may be the house. And I think he was right because I went back to the house after I moved out of it.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 5: This house is clearly some people's dream house.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 5: It was in the North Georgia Mountains and it was on top of the mountain.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 5: And I've never seen this nowhere in the world. I've gone in the morning.
Speaker 2: Right at about five thirty six o'clock when the sun hits the top of the mountains, the whole sky turns red dog like it's Mars or something. Such a beautiful house, and it's just spiritually wasn't right. And Krit was like, Bro, you gotta you may have to get out of that house. And I moved out of that house because of Crit and between you know, some of the stuff Krit said, my mentor, and the stories I've told about method man Bro. And I like to give a shout out to to styles p Let's I'd like to give a shout out to Jazzy Jeff. Jazzy Jeff brought me to his house, y'all. I told him to his face, I ain't doing no fucking music. I ain't no artist, no mong fucking actor. I ain't doing no verses, I ain't doing no beats. And he just looked at me and like, yeah. I ended up doing two verses the beat.
Speaker 5: But jazz he told me something. I was so dope.
Speaker 2: He said, banner music hasn't done anything, but bless you. Now the business of music.
Speaker 3: Well, let me ask you this before because I know you gotta go. But my last question is Sinners. You talked about Sinners. One of the underlying themes in that, to me at least, was that the music attracted the devil, and that's why his father didn't want him to play music. Do you think that the music, especially the music that we're listening to now, is a gateway to negativity devil activity, or like you think that is a light for that.
Speaker 2: But no, but bro, it wasn't. But see, that's the thing about it. It wasn't the type of music he was doing. Because if you look at the dance when everybody came together, it was all types of music. It wasn't just rap music it was it was the Native American music. It was all of these different types of music. So what it is is that, first of all, people forget if you think if the devil existed in the way that they say that it did, what was the devil? No, in general, angel what music of music exactly?
Speaker 3: So that's some people say that.
Speaker 2: So not that music, it's music in general and the fact that in actuality, Bro, I don't like saying this a lot.
Speaker 5: But I will only because you asked me.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 2: If you go back and research music. Music was never meant for public consumption. Music was meant for spiritual, for communication, doing times of war, it was it was spiritual. And I have a friend who actually is a chiropractor and he can manipulate your bones by using certain frequencies. So what we got to understand, Bro, we don't even know because we don't study, Bro, the frequencies that we're dealing with a lot of times, Bro, and what it actually does to the human body.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So I think when it came to centers, Bro, it wasn't the type of music that we do because honestly, we are at war and this is war music. The problem that I had with music is music was supposed to to represent the time that we're in. Like during the time when Bad Boy and Stuff was out, we were the first generation in America in recent times that had disposable money. We was their first generation. Our parents got the jobs, but they really hadn't got the residual effects of that brand yet so bad Boy at the time was necessary NWA saying fuck the police. Nobody else had ever done that. We needed that at the time.
Speaker 5: But when you see it being commercialized and it being used by the same system that.
Speaker 2: It was meant to, right, and it became and it was mechanized, I honestly think, and I don't say this much, that music is actually from the right hand of the government. Now, Bro, if you really think about it, bro, like, if you really look at it from because I know that you are men of numbers, right, bro, Niggas in bitches well, let's say, niggas in bitches are probably no just as important. It's important, Seriously, Niggas and bitches are only about at the most get in the twenty percent of our culture. Let's think about it seriously, right, But we talk about that form of people ninety percent of the time. Yeah, right, you understand what I'm saying. So the problem isn't that is the pact. It's the fact that it's been is being weaponized. And then the fact that people see that we can make money off off of the weaponization of our music, They're gonna go get the bread, bro, That's what I saw. So when I saw appreciable.
Speaker 1: This is a specific scene when they're like, just give us him and we'll leave everybody else. Because he had the purest form of music, even though it was perceived as secular to his parents. It was the purest form, which is one second and.
Speaker 2: Jordan, Just so you know, they're not worried about me saying niggas and bitches. They worried about me saying cracker, So you ain't got to worry about it. Who's that, No, just people in general. He ain't not worried about this, So don't worry about when I said niggas and bitches. Yeah, which is why at the end that scene where Michael B. Jordan's in the kouji, right, and it was very intentional how he was styled. It was like, oh, they've got that, they've got it. They took it from us, right because he's I left him alone. He's still pure, but he's been dumb down now to now he's just doing nightclubs, right, which isn't the most popular form. But the guy win the koochie. Oh wait, it's in hip hop. Well watch this the way you where I didn't see that, but I did see what do you call the things in the movies where you give away the secrets, what do you call those? Come on, bro, help me the little special things that said movies that's hidden the east, Yeah, the little easter b They said something that was so dope that I didn't realize, which makes your theory probably right. They said, if you look in the mirror on that scene, his reflection was gone too.
Speaker 3: Who's the reflection preacher boy?
Speaker 2: Because you remember it was him the white girl and preaching boy and they were sitting in front of the big long mirror in front of the bar, right if you look, everybody's But what they say happened was that you remember the scene after that we're giving away the movie. But but but you remember when he was in the church. You saw that if you remember, he looked up and they were saying that it was a spirit, that it was a spirit in the sky, and that was when he gave his spirit away. But what I'm saying is is that either way, what I'll tell you is that that same music that we're talking about can be what leads us to revolution, be helpful, it can be what leads somebody to God. That's all that they were saying. They want you, so we can use your music for what we want to use it for, and so it's powerful within itself. It's the same way that and I'm glad that we can end it like this. I believe it's the same thing with money. Money ain't ain't is it negative. It's the spirit and what you put into it and how you get it. It's a frequency, it's a currency, you know, and you have to earn your.
Speaker 3: Leisure and gentlemen. Another legendary episode David, Oh hey, you got from Rock and West for see next week.
Speaker 6: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States.
Speaker 7: Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported.
Speaker 6: You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now.
Speaker 7: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and family will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,